Speaker 1: Welcome in What'll Driving the Great Episode three sixty five. This episode, as always brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. Demand's a rough weekend for me, no getting around it. And it started off so you know, rough weekends not even the right way to put it. It was just a rough Sunday. Because Friday was glorious doing the show live from Kansas City. It was an all timer, and then Saturday was wildly profitable, hopefully not just for me but for our listeners because the great Nick Shulman, the What's Right Boxing expert analyst correspondent, did an hour with us last week and gave us every single reason to bet Terrence Bud Crawford in an upset, and Terrence Bud Crawford dominated that five and we were rolling and even early Saturday after. It really is just the Chiefs game.
Speaker 2: Like what am I talking about?
Speaker 1: Like everything is just a Chiefs game. I got a little I feel unlucky with my five picks where I ended up going two and three this weekend. One of the losses was the Jags plus three and a half. They lost by four in a game they gave away just card in total Jagsy and fashion gave away, and another loss was Arizona laying six and a half. They're up twenty seven to eight. Late in the game, Like late late in the game, Kyler throws a pick, they allow a touchdown, they allow the what might be the only successful onside kick of the year, and all of a sudden, not only do they not cover, they almost lost the game out right. But as the kids say, we move, we're gonna be okay. We'll get to all of that. You, on the other hand, just can't lose a teaser. Hitting price, You're hitting hitting player props left and right. You're just you're on fire over on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: I'm trying. I'm trying. Yeah, teasers look good any best this weekend. But but yeah.
Speaker 1: That's okay. The teaser looked good. You gave out a winning teaser. It's all you can hope for. I will say, this team, what's right in the million dollars Splash Sports Survivor. We had the Cardinals. We have now used the Jags and the Cardinals. We're two and zero. We're feeling good now. I will say almost everyone's feeling good about Survivor at this point because nobody's lost anything. Oh, one other note for the audience. I guess this is also for the Blue Duck folks, but it won't actually impact any of our schedules or anything. We are now we're going to go back to doing what we did at the beginning of the pod, where the pick show is released as a separate episode on Friday, So we'll be live Thursday. We will then also after we're live Thursday, do our pick show, you know what I mean, and then it will come out as its own standalone episode on Fridays. I know there was some confusion for folks who because we did that this week and I didn't tell you guys who listened to Thursday's episode and said where were the picks? They were released later as their own thing. So just so everybody knows. And by the way, to make sure you get everything we do like great subscribe review YouTube is growing great. The iTunes and Spotify numbers are doing really well. We appreciate it. The only way you guys can help us more than just listening to the show is throwing us up description or even on top of that review, So we would love that. Now let's get right into it, straight to the voicemail brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. Bad couple first few weeks for the skinny football players out there. Xavier Worthy's got his shoulder popped out, DeVante Smith looked like he might have gotten hurt in the Chiefs game, and Jayden Daniels dealing with a knee sprain. That is certainly something to monitor. It is, you know, fortunately for him, unfortunately for the rest of the league, not even close to the most dire of the quarterback injuries. This weekend, we'll get to that. Crawford defeats Canelo and gives himself a real argument that if you want to call him the best pound for pound fighter of your lifetime, you can make that case. Now he's forty two to zero. He basically jumped three weight classes to beat Canelo, and it was an all timer. And I didn't think the fight was as close as the judges did. And then the if I wasn't having a tough enough week, and I gotta be careful. You know, I'm not trying to take shots at the NFL, but NFL social media tweeting out never a doubt on what was the backbreaking touchdown for the Eagles over the Chiefs. Felt pointed and felt personal. I'm just gonna be honest with you. Now, you can say that is egotistical. I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think that was very niche.
Speaker 2: That's niche right there.
Speaker 1: Well, whatever it is, I didn't love it. I gotta tell you. I didn't love it. And it felt like a low blow. Now maybe I'm just a little on tilt because of what happened in Chiefs Eagles. So Deman say, let's not delay anymore, let's get right into it. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the Super Bowl rematch was rough for Chiefs fans and you. So there's a few things going on. The Toush push is still alive, and well, my Holmes is struggling to throw the ball deep, it would seem, and him and Kelsey have had a few miscues that have potentially cost them games. Where would you like to start?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're going to start with the chief side of things, and then we'll get into the Eagles, and then we will do a Toush push discussion. Okay, So I cannot and and producers tell me if the mic sounds a little better. Now, I am not going to sit here and act like everything's fine with the Chiefs right now, it is. There are some I want to focus on the concerning things that have occurred in both games. Okay, So for instance, since week one, the secondary, which has been a strength of this team, looked hugely problematic against Herbert and the Chargers. Week two, I thought the secondary looked really good. Right, So like that's the one good game, one bad game. I'm not focusing on that. Here is what through two weeks looks problematic, and I don't know where the solve for it is. The Chiefs running game is as inept right now as it's ever been since Patrick's been there. Pachecko sadly just does not look like the same player he was before he broke his leg. And what's odd about it is his biggest problem through two weeks doesn't seem to be explosion. It seems to be vision and hitting the right hole. You wouldn't think that is related to a lower body injury, but he just hasn't been effective. Kareem Hunt is who he is. He if you need one yard more way, more often than not, he will get it for you. But he has no chance of getting you ten. And they brought in Elijah Mitchell. Nothing's happened there. They drafted Brishard Smith in the I think seventh round. He's seventh round rookie. Like they just right now don't have the horses in the running back room, and that is a spot that I would not at all hate for them to be active on in the trade market. I think we have. There has been a lot of discussion of should the Chiefs trade for Tyreek Kill? The wide receivers are coming back, Okay, I if I were doing a trade with Miami, I might be equally, if not more, interested in Devin h Cham Like I think that there are you running backs will be and should be available, and that might be a spot that they have to bite the bullet and spend some draft capital via trade on. So that's one piece, and here's another one. As good as Josh Simmons has been at the left tackle spot, Patrick still doesn't feel totally comfortable in his protection. Now, some of that's been the left guard spot's been really problematic, but Creed's great, Trey's great, Simmons is really good, Joan Taylor when he's not committing penalties is fine, and Patrick just seems like he doesn't trust it. Right now, and I am as confident in Patrick Mahomes as any player that's ever played in the league that he will figure stuff out. And there have been times this season where it has felt like he's out there, I don't want to say by himself, but nobody can get opening. They can't run the ball, which has forced him to and this is the part of the season that I have liked the absolute least. It has forced him to activate playoff running Mahomes in weeks one and two, and I despise that because obviously it puts him in jeopardy, which is the biggest concern. But the other thing is one of the reasons he has had the postseason success that he's had. One of the reasons he has been so much more dynamic and effective statistically and from a winning perspective on a per game basis than any other quarterback in the history of the league come the postseason is because every single postseason he adds a huge weapon to his game that is not there in the regular season, which is the quarterback runs the scrambles. And if he's using that during the regular season, it has just multiple concerns. One is he can get banged up Another is you're not getting that auto postseason boost. Like Josh Allen and Lamar are unbelievable runners at the quarterback position. They do it starting in week one and never stop. So it doesn't add an element to their game come the playoffs. It has for Patrick and the last listen issue on offense is the greatest tight end in the history of the league has had a really rough two weeks. There's no way around it. Third play of the season. I thought it was Xavier's mistake. He says it was his mistake that he ran the wrong depth of his route and Xavier's hurt. Later in that game, he and Patrick aren't on quite the same page. When they're down nine about to score, they don't connect on what would have been a touchdown. And then obviously the Eagles game, they're about to take the lead and he bobbles a pass and it turns into a game changing interception. That's all. Highly it's been highly damaging. I don't know if it's yet highly concerning, but it's highly damaging. Okay, So there is that piece of it on the defensive side of the ball. The only complaint I have after week two is they cannot seem to get pressure without sending a blitz, like if they rush for they just cannot get home. So I don't know if that means the rookies Ashton Julot or Omar Norman lot need to be more effective. Certainly Charles Amena who needs to be more effective. Mike Dana got hurt in this game. That didn't help. George Karloft has just got paid by this team, he needs to be more effective. Like Chris Jones is a man on an island at times. And so those are real problems, okay, And right now the Chiefs don't deserve to be anything close to Super Bowl favorites. I'm not gonna sit here and act like, ah, they got unlucky, they got this. No. If anything, it is surprising that they have had a chance to win both of these games when they haven't played well. They've missed kicks in both games. They haven't forced a turnover. So that is the true and fair so analysis of where the Chiefs are through two weeks. Anything past that is nonsense. Anyone trying to pedal Wow, should they be worried about making the playoffs? I think has lost their mind. Now is the division for the first time in Jeopardy. Yeah, when you're zero to two and a team that beat you is two and zero with a divisional win, it's understandable that the Chiefs are no longer the favorites in the division Demons, And where where does hard Rock Bet have them at right now?
Speaker 2: They've got them at plus two forty to win the division? Should you hammer that?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, as it's not surprising to you. Probably I have a lot of exposure already on the Chiefs, you know, futures and season and win total. But I think plus two point forty is good value right now when I do right now, if I had to pick it, I would still pick the Chiefs to win the division. And part of that is some concerning stuff. I saw no no from the Chargers the Houston doesn't apply here from the Chargers last night late in that game. And we'll get into that when we talk about the Chargers. I thought the Chargers almost went out of their way to try to keep the Raiders in that game. And it's what's true for Patrick is true for all these quarterbacks. Any quarterback that's running a ton early in the year, I get worried about and justin Herbert's running a lot, and you know that I think that, And he took a wicked shot yesterday, and then they also had him late in the game when the game was decided to another quarterback run that I totally didn't understand. And so I still believe the Chiefs are the best team in the AFC West. You can't right now say they're better than Buffalo or Baltimore. You can say, however, right now, in a span of two quick weeks, after for the last few years the AFC clearly being the better of the two conferences, the NFC right now seems far superior and far deeper. Like demon's a whoa in the AFC East Buffalo, Miami, New England, the Jets. There's one team you believe in the AFC North, Baltimore, since Pittsburgh, Cleveland. There's one team you believe in the AFC South. Right now, there might be zero teams you believe in unless you or the generic you to the audience really does believe what the culture doing is sustainable. I don't know that I believe it. The AFC West, on the other hand, might have a bunch of you know, the Chargers, the Broncos, the Chiefs the Raiders still like it is. It's remarkable to me how open the middle part of the conferences, And so I think it's fair to say the Chiefs have basically not punted but giving up the opportunity to be the one seed. You know, I think that's fair. I think there's you know, there are real things they need to clean up. I also feel this way, they are potentially twelve days away from everyone saying how silly we should feel for writing off the Chiefs because you beat the Giants this weekend. You didn't have a game against Baltimore that if you win, you're right back to being the Chiefs and all this stuff about oh, the mystique is gone or this or that that's gone like that and that conversation is gone, and so big but big next few weeks and big stretch of time before Rashi comes back. Xavier might be back this weekend. He'll definitely be back for the Raven game. And listen, they need to have a receiver that can beat man to man coverage. And the idea that like Mahomes is being exposed without a dynamic receiver is belied by the fact that he won League MVP with a receiving corps led by juju An MBS and the next year won Super Bowl MVP with an even worse receiving corps. And last year they went fifteen to two and made the Super Bowl with Rashim missing basically the whole year. So I think that's too reactionary. But somebody's got to get open at some point, all right, before we get to the touch push, do you have another one more follow up? You want to ask me? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? With how Philly fans are treating you, do you think treating you in person? Are you thinking about taking him? And a listens so.
Speaker 1: I know we're joking. I'm gonna be serious about this just for a second. The grown adult Eagle fans that live in the New York area, and I have more sympathy for folks. When I was in Kansas City and ran into Eagle fans, I'd love to tell you the vast majority were great. They were not. The vast majority were obnoxious assholes. A few were great. But I had a group of four grown men in golf outfits at eight in the morning Friday morning in front of the hotel we were both staying at uh Yell like scream at me so like that, But but I actually give those guys not a pass. You're you flew to town for a game. You're alrighty, like you're in game mode. Whatever. It is like that, that is what it is. The Eagle fans that see me on the street in New York and a cost me for lack of a better term, or just out of their mind, like what like on it like like you're just out of your mind? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Say it again, what are you doing with your time right now?
Speaker 1: Well, it's just you're just you're just like what are you doing? You're you're not on the team. And I like the like the this is it is forever. I've said that. Whenever Demanse says to me like, oh, you're getting killed online or people are mad at you or whatever, what I've said is no, they're not. Like maybe they are, but it doesn't matter because I don't see it. In order to tell me your feelings, you gotta see me in person. And ninety nine percent of the people who see me in person, no matter what they've said online, they're incredibly gracious. It is really surprising the level of like angst and vitriol a team that is the defending champions, their fans have and I find it.
Speaker 2: Honestly not worst fan base, but worst fan base to you, Like, I feel like Buffalo was up there at one point.
Speaker 1: But Buffalo fans were Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think I was, you were really I can't be.
Speaker 1: Buffalo way more than Philly, and Buffalo fans were always awesome, always it is. And Buffalo fans, by the way, never won. They never like.
Speaker 2: The the combination is already like a type of way. I feel like like they're already yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's odd. I'm not I'm not I'm not making too big of a deal over it. But I'm not gonna act like it's not noticeable that these like thirty eight year old it pros on their lunch break that see me walking in the city, like, ain't nick right? Fuck you? Like ay Man, like we're just like that. It's a little weird, like it's just it's just and I and I the I just have a auto response of congrats on the super Bowl, like I don't know what interaction you think we're gonna have here, but it is. But what I'm saying is what the you got? They won? I don't know what they're mad about. I think that there is an element of their identity as sports fans is anger and they don't know how to deal with the fact that they won. And so it is I'm not gonna like, I'm not gonna pretend it's not weird. And people the producers asking if it happened with Niner fans or Buck fans, I'm telling you, and I am not exaggerating, It's never happened with any other fan base across any other sport. To me, like, there are some true die hard Kobe fans that really disliked me, particularly right after Kobe's trying passing, because in that time, any anybody that had you know, tape if you will, of what they thought was being unfair to Kobe, those got shared a lot, you know, in the moment after it's passing. None of those folks. If I were to make a list of the twenty worst in person interactions I've had with fans since I've been doing this, eighteen of them would be Eagle fans. Since they won the Super Bowl. It's really weird and so like, uh yeah, and so it just part of that might be geographically, Yeah, you know, what I mean. There's a lot of things, but it is it is odd, which is why this thing we're doing next, which is shining a light on the total bullshit that is the cheating of the tush push, delights me even more. We'll get to that in a second, but first, we're so excited to be partnered with as our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Everybody knows and loves the hard Rock hotels and casinos, and now you can use the top rated hard Rock Bets sportsbook app to place your bets all NFL season and beyond. Hard Rock Bet is the only legal sportsbook in the state of Florida, the only one and is also available in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, and Colorado, with more states launching all the time. You can also play on hard Rock Bets online casino if you are in New Jersey. Throughout the football season, we'll be using hard Rock Bet lines to make our predictions for the biggest games as we gear up for the NFL's season. Sign up for hard Rock Bet, make a five dollars bet and you'll get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. If you win, head over to hard Rock Bet, sign up and make your first deposit today, payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concern about gambling in Florida, call one eight eighty eight. Admit it in Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem, Call one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. All right, demons, let's get to the touch push stuff.
Speaker 2: So you went on a rant yesterday on TV. Some people would say you went on a line about the tush push and now unfair it is. Uh. You've had twenty four hours to reconsider. Are you going to walk it back? Or are you still sour on it?
Speaker 1: Listen, and you have to be my eyewitness on this, demanse Okay, okay, well before the Eagles and Chiefs ever played in any Super Bowls, before the Chiefs beat them in the Super Bowl, before the Eagles were a real top flight contender. When we were doing the show from Trentage your mom's store in Harlem together, I hated this play. Can you confirm that that is true?
Speaker 2: I don't think there's never been a point that the tush push existed and you didn't not like it?
Speaker 1: Right, And it started in October of twenty twenty one. And my argument had always been multi layer. But the basis of it is it's against the spirit of professional football because it's a rugby play. It's bad TV and it's a rugby play. And Simmons made this point and I agree with him where it is in the same family as if a team started having guys go piggyback on each other's backs to blockfield goals at the line of scrimmage, like, oh, is there a specific rule against that? I don't know, but it doesn't feel like what we are supposed to be doing here. There was the old Reddit post of what if the Warriors signed for like bodybuilders and had those four guys lock arms and Steph Curry stand in the middle of them and then shoot threes where nobody can get through. Like, is there technically a rule against it? I don't know, but it feels against the spirit of the sport we're playing. So that's why I've always hated it. It's not because and by the way, the Eagles have beaten the Chiefs in one game that really matters to me, the Super Bowl, and they didn't need the toast push in that Super Bowl. They crushed us. They needed it in the first Super Bowl, but the Chiefs won. I don't give a shit about the regular season games, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it, Okay that that has always been my long standing opinion. A. I have had three kind of additional prongs to the opinion, which is, first of all, if everyone got good at it, it would really hurt the NFL if third and short or fourth and short were no longer exciting or intriguing plays, that hurts the watchability and intrigue of the league. The second prong was, if the Eagles got better at it, it would snap ruin the sport. By and by better at it, I mean is right now they can basically get two yards whenever they want. All that has to do is changed to four yards and for Philly to be like, okay, first play of the game, first and ten from the thirty tush pushing the next twelve plays down the field, and you'd have to change the rule mid season. But the third prong has also been this cause one of the Eagles defenses is, well, it must not be that easy because they're the only ones who can do it that well, because they're the only ones that on eighty percent of them half their team is offsides and the guards are firing early, and thankfully Tom Brady and Dean Blandino shined a spotlight on that it is hard enough to stop as is, but when every other snap of the game, just think about how you're watching football. Every other snap you can see the ball from the above shot because it's in front of the center and then the offensive line is in a slight arc where the center is the furthest out, but his head's behind the ball, the guards are a little bit behind him, and the tackles are a little bit behind them, except for tackles like Lane Johnson for the Joan Taylor for the Chiefs who are quite a bit, you know, behind to get a little early jump the tush push. You can't see the ball because the center is that the ball is behind where the sinner is, like where the sinner's head is. That's illegal, And you don't know when the ball's been snapped because you can't see it, which for the refs makes it impossible to tell. Wait, did the guards go early to get an advantage just by a quarter of a second? And you had to say, what's a quarter of a second? We see every day in the NFL an offensive linemen just barely shift back in his stance. It's a flag that is happening on steroids. Eighty percent of Eagles tush pushes. Go back and watch the Vikings try it on Sunday Night football and what you'll see is there lined up like a regular play and those can be stomped.
Speaker 2: So you.
Speaker 1: If the commissioner of the league doesn't want it, twenty two of the thirty one other teams don't want it, at the very least, can it be officiated correctly? At the very least can because here's the thing, demonse a false start penalty on push push plays is devastating because they're going for fourth downs they wouldn't otherwise go for you know what I mean. It's not like a false start on first and ten is not that big of a deal. A false start on fourth and one, when you're either at the goal line or on your own thirty five, as the Eagles are wont to do any of those spots, totally changes the math entirely. And here is why.
Speaker 2: So they're cheating.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not gonna call him cheating because they're doing what the refs will let him get away with. I'm asking here is my belief. A little over two years ago, in Juwan Taylor's first game as a chief, I think it was his first game. I know it was first game of the season regardless, against the Detroit Lions, Chris Collinsworth made a point to harp On on the broadcast. He is jumping early, and it's something he had always done in Jacksonville before he came to Kansas City. It had never really been a problem, but Collinsworth pointed it out on the broadcast, and all of a sudden, every ref was attuned to it, and he snapped me came the most penalized player in the league. What I wonder is will Tom Brady having focused on that they are jumping early on the tush push, and then Dean Blandino coming on the same broadcast and saying, yeah, guys, I'm done with the toush push. It's too hard to officiate. Will that make the officiating crews across the country more aware, Oh, this is something we have to watch because if Philly starts just even occasionally getting false starts on it, it massively recaps its effectiveness. And my prediction is that, oh, I didn't see. I didn't know that. I missed that last night where the refs made the Chargers uh O line adjust how they were gonna tush push because of how they were lined up. I'll watch that. Thanks guys for going that in the in the doc. But my guess is they're now aware that what they're doing is not allowed, and it certainly is going to be banned after this year. I think there is no doubt about it. But I just wonder if it's going to lose some effectiveness during the year. Luckily, Philly will be fine without it because Jalen Hurts is such a prolific downfield passer this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that graphic was pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, and that's not that different from week one where now he hit the one deep ball to Johan Dotson. In week one, he hit the one deep ball to DeVante Smith in week two. That's boring, Jailen listen. Jalen Hurts is not a dynamic drop back passer. He is better than what we've seen through two weeks, and to not be giving him the opportunities to hit Aj Brown down the field is odd and I think that there is right now. What is keeping that afloat is not a float but under wraps is that they've won okay, because I think aj is not all too pleased about not getting opportunities. And I say that because Aj Brown told us himself, let me see if I can find it. There is going to have a j Brown told us himself, what'd you say, demanse?
Speaker 2: So they said he was going to have the Kuran memorized by the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Oh so here Aj Brown on Instagram four days after the Super Bowl quote. I tried to feel how everyone made it seem to be a champion and fortunately it was short lived two days to be exact. Lol, I've never been a champion at the highest level before, but I thought my hard work would be justified by winning it all. It wasn't My thrill for this game comes when I dominate. It's the hunt that does it for me. It's when the dB drops his head and surrenders because he can't f with me. That is AJ Brown's own work. So I don't know how happy AJ Brown is with what is been the Eagles offense up to this point. All right, let's get Demond's a too. The Joe Burrow injury in the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Joe Burrow was knocked out early with a turf toe injury. So he's gonna get surgery and he's gonna miss at least three months. And this is his third major injury. Where did the Bengals go from here without Burrow?
Speaker 1: All right, remember our rules, guys on NFL injury announcements. Okay, if the initial reporting is he's fine, it means he might miss a week. If the initial reporting is escaped major injury, he's probably out a month. If the initial reporting is the team is highly concerned, he's almost assuredly out a year. In the new age of NFL insider media, for some reason there is this. I would imagine it's a request by agents to always put the sunniest possible time frame on injuries. So when the initial reporting is at least three months for Joe Burrow, you should read that to mean he has done for the season. Okay, you like there, And here's why the reporting stuff on it matters. So I saw some people yesterday like doing the math. They're like, all right, three months, so October November, So he could be back by mid December if the Bengals already two to zero, if they can, you know, just play five hundred ball, then he's back for the stretch run, gets a few games under his belt before the playoffs. No chance, No, that's that's not realistic. Sadly, Joe Burrow is almost assuredly done for the year, and there is This was not a fluke. This was I don't want to call it predictable, but all off season. And you guys know this if you listen to this show, and by the way, we appreciate everyone who does, and please subscribe on iTunes and YouTube and Spotify and all that. Leave us a review if you'd like, certainly give us five stars. If you don't mind. The Bengals conversation was simply a well, if the defense can just get a little bit better, we know the offense is gonna be great. And I said more than once one of the reasons I was not a Bengals believer was I thought their offensive line, which already had been shaky, was worse this year potentially than it was last year. And through two games, really a game and a half, you saw Joe Burrow getting the hell knocked out of him, and so part of that is a team failing. Right. Here's another thing, and this is something that it's just the reality. It's demand say. You might think this is harsh. I don't mean it to be, but I think if you watch the Bengals, this is something Joe Burrow needed to improve on and didn't. He is so he is so often hunting the big play downfield, even when there's guys diving at his legs, like the pockets breaking down. He he has such and it's one of the reasons he's so great is because he's gonna stand in there and you know, as opposed to honestly like the way Patrick played last year, which is nope, get get rid of the ball, get rid of you know, he the the example I gave, and you're too young to really have watched this guy. Burrow oddly plays within the pocket a lot like Big Bended where it is, there's gonna be guys hanging all over me. And I'm gonna but Big Ben for he was named Big Ben for a reason. You know what I mean, he was huge, He was incredibly durable. That's not so like, I'm not blaming Joe Burrow for being hurt. What I'm saying is the style he hasn't a just in his style of play, given how critical he is to that team having any shot. And so now this is a player who and this is the worst, I mean, the worst accolade imaginable. He has a real chance, demons, to become the only guy in the history of the NFL to win the Comeback Player of the Year three times. He's already won it twice. You don't want that man. That's like, you know, he blew out his knee as a rookie, came back and won it. He got his elbow torn up a couple of years ago, came back and won it. And now he's gonna have played a game and a half this year, and.
Speaker 2: So saving Grace said, it's like a toe thing though at least it's you know, it's knee. Oh that's unfortunately he's injured.
Speaker 1: He doesn't You would not expect this at all to have next year impacts. Yes, I agree, you know what I mean, you expect him to come back the exact same player. Right. The flip side of that is he's now had three catastrophic injuries to three totally unrelated parts of his body, you know what I mean, Like the is yeah, I mean you've had some similar yeah, just everywhere stop there where right the where it's like, man, I've got I've dealt with a shoulder, I've dealt with an ankle, I've dealt with this, Like for Joe, he's dealt with an acl some weird elbow ligament thing and now turf toe, which never happens to quarterbacks. And so I and this idea that producers, if you guys don't mind check on hard rock what the Bengals are right now? Yes, no, to make the playoffs, because there is I guess a level of well they are two to zero with two divisional wins, like can they can they overcome this? And Jake Browning obviously when he played a couple of years ago, played well enough and they went five hundred. I just think their next month demonse of defenses. Three of these games on the road. They're at Minnesota at Denver, home for Detroit at green Bay. Yeah, that feels like one in three at best, and a real possibility, and I hate to say it, but a real possibility that Browning doesn't make it through that like it with that offensive line the way it is. And they they signed Sean Clifford to the practice squad today, which they have to like, I don't know, I'm trying to see. Oh, they already they on their practice squad. They already had Brett Rippen and Mike White, Like, go.
Speaker 2: And get Anthony Richardson from the Colts or something.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. Kirk Cousins, Kurkut there somewhere, Trey Lance interesting. I mean, I don't know, Like right now, Jake Browning is a better option than all those guys, definitively, except for maybe Kirk, and maybe Kirk as well. Browning's fine. But so they're on hard rock. Bet they're to make the playoffs. No minus two ten, Yes plus one sixty five. That seems a little optimistic. That also, though, speaks to the power being two and oh with two conference wins and two and oh in the AFC. Right now, all right, let's follow up here, pal.
Speaker 2: Uh Yeah, how did you guy Trevor not pull this out against Jake Browning? And the guy threw three picks? What what happened there?
Speaker 1: That was such a horrifying loss for the Jags? I mean Browning threw three picks, including one that just has to end the game. So the when the Jags are up twenty seven to twenty four early in the fourth, the Bengals go three and out. The Jags then have a nine play drive. They end with a punt. Jake Browning then throws an interception that is returned to the bet to the Bengals twenty I'm sorry twelve yard line. The Jags have the ball, they're up three, they have first and ten from the twelve with five minutes left, and they lose man they they I I'm not gonna kill Liam Cohen for going for that fourth down. You guys have heard me say before. I oddly prefer sometimes to be up three than up six. I hate the up six, like up three. It feels like the other team's a little more conservative. They will obviously kick a field goal, so I didn't blame him saying a touchdown wins us this game. If we don't pick it up, you know we're giving it to you at the eight and you're less likely to be so aggressive. And maybe they should have won. Sorry, my allergies are killing. Maybe they should have won because I thought that Travis Hunter pass interference was a bad call. But you cannot find a way to lose that game. And early in the game, Trevor with a vintage Trevor mistake. It's seven, oh, Jacksonville. The Bengals go three and out. The Jags move the ball right down the field, and that on third and goal from the eight, Trevor just throws a hope of a prayer that gets picked off. Now, his other pass that got picked off was Brian Thomas Junior, who had a alligator arm situation the whole game. But in Brian Thomas Junior's defense, Trevor's gotta stop throwing these hospital balls, man like. That was a great opportunity for the Jags and to let to lose a game. When Joe Burrow gets hurt and Jake Browning throws three picks and by the way, Trevor throws for two seventy and three touchdowns. You run for a buck forty. It's just such a Jags loss. Just such a Jags loss. Shout out page, Beckers, she won Rookie of the Year. Breaking news.
Speaker 2: Shout out page. Who do you think was more wrong? Hey, coach Liam calling for telling his quarterback where to throw the ball, or Trevor were waving his coach.
Speaker 1: Off, Liam? You can't, you can't you listen, You just you can do that privately on the sideline. Yeah, barking at your quarterback when he is trying like he's still like has to call a play, run a play. There's that. That to me was ridiculous. All right, demons, let's quickly. We got a lot more to do here, So let's go. We'll go quickly through the rest of the game before we go to our Monday staple. All the games that didn't get their own section, we're gonna we're gonna give them, you know, twenty or thirty seconds each. So we had every game in the league this weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh, so the Bucks moved to two to zero after a late score led by Baker late in the game. Is betting Baker down a score late in the game as much of a lock is good of a lock these days?
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, shout out producer Daniel, who texted the group when Baker got the ball back down five. You know, is this an auto bet? And I think we you know, I bet it. I think he bet it. I also had the Bucks parlayed with the Raiders, so I'm glad I bet it because I ended up losing that one, so this made up for it. I couple things about that. One is about the specific game, and then I'll get to Baker. I never feel like teams or very often announcers make a big enough deal of the two point convert version to go up seven. So last night the Texans Nick Chubb breaks off this great run, so they score with how much time is left? When they score two? Ten left, and that two point conversion they go for there is just so wildly important because you get it and likely overtimes. The worst case scenario, you don't get it, and you almost feel like, man, do we wish Chub hadn't have scored, because if Chubb, if Chubb had gone down and then you're in a position where because they were at the time Houston was down, what would they have been down? They were down four? Right then, I'm an idiot? Why can I not get this right? The they got? Why am I so dumb? Right now? The score of the game five was fourteen thirteen. Yeah, jesus, they're down one. I'm such What the hell just happened there? And if Chubb doesn't score, all of a sudden, Tampa is having to use its timeouts. You're kicking a field goal, you know, potentially later. But Chubb does score, that's great. You want the seven, but what you need is the eight. They don't get the two point conversion, and now Baker's in business. All three timeouts two minutes. Can get going with that said, Texans had him in fourth and ten, and then Baker did some really cool Baker stuff, escaping the rush, running seemingly got hurt, then got saved by the fact that Chauncey Gardner Johnson was talking trash and all of a sudden he wasn't hurt anymore, and he popped up to talk trash right back to him. Baker's just the best, and Baker absolutely can win league MVP this year. Absolutely can and the Bucks absolutely can be the one seed as predicted on this show. Bucks, No, why would I? I mean, they have played two road games against teams that were considered either possible or likely playoff teams. They could have lost both, and Baker made game winning plays in the waning moments of both. Now they get the Jets, then a tough home game against the Eagles, but they play the Eagles really well. Seahawks, Niners, Lions. It's not easy. But no, they've got a really.
Speaker 2: Sure missing a couple of guys on offense right now to.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Godlin's going to be coming back. No, now I think they lost excuse me, Elijah Cantsey in that game. That's that's concerning. But no, the Bucks are for real now. On the Baker piece of it, it really gets lost in the shuffle, Demons, not lost in the shuffle. But I just want to reiterate this that the Cleveland Browns spent the number one overall pick on Baker Mayfield watched him in his second year win a playoff game for them, and then they were like, yeah, he's not good enough for us. They're like, yeah, we can do better. You're the Cleveland Browns, and you decided that Baker Mayfield was not h And I said in his second year he won the playoff game. It was in his third year he won the playoff game. Pardon me, you decided a guy who won a playoff game as a Browns homegrown starting quarterback wasn't good enough for you because Odell Beckham Junior's dad put out Instagram mixtape ripping It. In a year he played hurt It and and now you're just in hell. It's really really unbelievable. And I love seeing Baker have this success. I love it so much. The Flip side demons is Panic meter is at a seven for the Texans and for CJ.
Speaker 2: Like, if you're losing, like after, he shouldn't bring it out in the third game. He's done at the first two games. He shouldn't be.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I'll be honest, I don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's probably algorithm. Well, CJ, he's like doing between the legs, walking up and down the field, maybe throwing out your receivers or something. Guys need to be more in tune. But yeah, while losing that you can't be doing that.
Speaker 1: Just feel like the sport. No I like it. I mean, I mean I like your your critique of it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like you said, ever since he said that thing to Caleb Williams, it's just kind of been on a downward slope.
Speaker 1: Contractually obligated to give you guys the numbers on this one, CJ. Stroud. Let me see if I can get Football Reference to cooperate with me. CJ. Stroud through that game with Caleb Williams in the regular season in his career, eleven and six, twenty six touchdowns, five picks, a one oh one rating. CJ. Stroud since he told Caleb one, coming here, a young fellow, let me teach you a thing or two. Eight and nine, eighteen touchdowns, thirteen picks and eighty five rating, life can come out. You're fast, man. And the Texans offensive operation just does not look good. The defense is still awesome. But what the Texans have going for them, obviously, is the division they're in, and if you don't believe in the Colts, that division's gonna feel winnable. But they they're at Jacksonville this weekend.
Speaker 2: Big game.
Speaker 1: That's that's for both teams. Big game, big game, then they get a little respit against the Titans. Then it's at the Ravens at Seattle gets tough man, and so yeah, I'd be I'd be a little more than a little nervous if I were the Texans. All right, let's get to the other Monday night game.
Speaker 2: So the Chargers look good again for the most part last night with another divisional win. Do you think this is the cream of the crop in that division?
Speaker 1: Listen, I think the Chiefs will end up winning the division, but I have to give the Chargers have looked really good. Now. I thought the Chargers at the end of the game, as I said earlier, made some really really poor game management decisions, and I don't understand like the Chargers. It's fine, I guess, but it is odd to me that both the Chargers and Otter for the Raiders spent such premium draft picks on running backs and don't want to give him the ball, Like the Raiders refusal to get Ashton gent involved, and it's like, because he's not good in pass protection, we'll just have I understand, you don't want to tip your hand on oh we're running this guy's you know, on the field. But you can't spend the sixth pick of the draft on a guy he was, you know, and give him eleven carries in a game where Gino's having the worst game of his career. Just can't do it. And myke, the Chargers defense looks awesome and Herbert's been really good. My only Charger concern is I think Herbert's running it too much, and that is concerning the other piece of that game is and do we have any reporting on what Khalil Mack's injury was. I know that he was in a sling and he was holding his arm and so that didn't look good. That could be really damaging as well the Raiders. The It would have been amazing if the Raiders could have started three and oh, all right, I'm sorry two and zero, but they'll they'll take one and one, especially because Demons a Raiders next four at the Commanders in a game Jaden might not play, then Home Bears at Calls Home Titans. Raiders really need to make hey this next month and Geno will bounce back. That was a really rough Geno game. And we talked a little bit about the Chargers earlier. All right, guys, I am so excited and that I might, for the first time in years go to a Chiefs road game. You know why because the Chiefs are playing in the New York area when they play the Giants, and all of a sudden, a must win game against the New York Giants. And if I do go, you know how I'll get there. My friends at Seki, the sponsor of today's show. With over twenty eight million downloads, seat geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on seat geek, including concerts, sports, festivals, and more. With the NFL season here in MLB playoffs approaching, now is the perfect time to get to a game with seat Geek. How about this as a time that I use seat Geek And here's the here it is for the Giants Chiefs game. You just see it again. The big green dots are the best stay away from the red dots. I thought I was going to be able to get some comped tickets to Crawford Canelo. But long story short, my guy who has a guy who I thought was gonna get the tickets. The guy, my guy's guy came down with shingles. So he wasn't gonna go, so we couldn't get the tickets. More of the story is I had promised a friend. I was like, hey, I'll get you some tickets to Crawford Canal. I should be able to get them, don't buy them, and then I forgot and then he texts me on Friday, Hey, man, just a reminder, you never sent me the tickets. I'm in Vegas, so you know what I did. I just kind of bit the bullet. I was like, all right, I'm not getting the tickets for free. At least I'll get the best deal possible with our friends at seat Geek, and I bought a couple of tickets at Canelo Crawford Seat Geek what they could They again, best deal I could have gotten. Still, you know, big fight, expensive ticket. I then ended up just kind of adding that much to the bet and we bet Crawford, who were fine see either here or there. Point is Seatkeek came through for me at the last minute. Every ticket's backed by their buyer guarantee, and you guys can come through for me as well by using code write ten wriight ten for ten percent off your next set of tickets at seat geek ten percent off any tickets to promo code write ten. Make sure you click the link of the description, download the app, and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. All right, demon's a we've got to really hurry up. We're going too long. I'm gonna miss my spot with Colin. We got to keep going. Let's get to the other games, all right.
Speaker 2: So the Lions are looking good or back to looking good again. They demolish the Bears fifty two to twenty one. Your guy Caleb saw his stock plummet a little bit more. The bigger story here the Lions domination or how bad the Bears are.
Speaker 1: Listen, I actually don't think Caleb Stock took a hit in this game. I didn't think he was great. I thought he was fine. The story when a team allows fifty two, the story can't be the team who allowed fifty two to their quarterback. The story can either be their defense or the other team's offense. And I think the story is the Lions kind of having a a don't write us off, you know, after one bad game reminder and go off looking really good and Dan Campbell getting a little get back and So that to me is the story of that game. Is Detroit steadied itself after the playoff game goes terrible, Week one goes terrible, and they know they're staring down a game in Baltimore this weekend. So had they started oh and two, it get late early for the Detroit Lions. Instead, they demolish the Bears, and the Bears, on the other hand, are feeling like, man, oh man, you know how far away are we from just being a good team, much less a great team? And right now they look really far Again. I did not think this was a Caleb game as far as the story. He had the one horrific pick, he had another decision that could have resulted in a pick. Gonna freak out about that. I am gonna tell you that they have Cowboys, Raiders, Commander Saints as their next four and if they don't come out of that at least two and two and probably need to be three and one, they're in real trouble. They're like, and they might already be in real trouble. I think it's I picked them to make the playoffs. I don't think they're dead on that front, but they're in quite the hole. Not to Listen, when I picked and make the playoffs, I thought through two games they'd be one and one, so it's you know, they're only one game off that pace. But how they've looked and this is where blowing that Vikings game keeps you up at night.
Speaker 2: All right, next yees over there in Dallas, there were five lead changes in forty one points scored in the fourth quarter alone. Aubrey sent it to overtime. I won a sixty four yard and then at the game winner on the fifth possession of overtime. You left this game angry with Dallas, thoughts why was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, listen, for Brandon Aubrey is one of the most valuable players in the league. The fact that the Cowboys were it was going to be a sixty seven yard field goal, they had time to try to push the ball downfield and they're like, no, we'll just hand it off because we're now well within his range is so bananas. And you know, Dak looked great. The reason I left the game angry with Dallas is because what we have seen from the Cowboys through two weeks tells me I was too low on them before the Mica trade, and had they kept Micah parsons that team could be really interesting, and Jerry's whole narrative that the media ran with that we're you know, Mike is actually so bad against the run that this trade helps us long term and short term. We've now seen the defense in two games without him and they can't do anything. That's the best game of Russell Wilson's whole life until he threw the pick at the end. Like the we were talking about that being the final start of Russell's career, it ends up being maybe the best start of his career because that Cowboys defense is that bad without Micah. All right, let's go to the Niners.
Speaker 2: So last week you saw launched that you were rooting for Mac Jones and he passed for two hundred and seventy nine yards and three touchdowns. How is this game about you? And Jimmy g.
Speaker 1: Well, listen and for anyone, for the folks if they're watching this pod at the first thing's first office is turn it way up or have Wilds come down to the conference room so we can hear this. Because it is so galling to me that my colleagues, really wilds can't just say out loud on the show all right. Nick was right all along about the Niners quarterback position being needing to be judged differently than everyone else's because of the Shanahan system. We argued for three years about Jimmy Garoppolo, with my take being he's actually not good. Oh he's been the guy. He's went to a super Bowl, been in a Convergence championship game, and my take was, he's not good. That's the Shanahan system and the weapons, and a lot of quarterbacks could have that level of success. They then drop in the final pick of the draft. He goes to a conference championship game, in a super Bowl, and we now then argue for two years that actually that guy's really special too, that guy's really good. And we while we see Jimmy g leave there and immediately become a backup, we then see that last pick of the draft get hurt. They drop in Mac Jones, who's been horrible for three years. He looks really good, and the answer is, well, maybe Max a new player. Jesus, guys, I know I can be obnoxious. I know I can be annoying at times. Sometimes though you just gotta be like damn it, Nick was right. Turns out Shanahan. Certainly Shanahan plus McCaffrey can inflate a quarterback stats in a way that EPA per play can't judge. And the whole I wouldn't pay brock Purty fifty five million dollars a year, well when you can get that production from a guy making five million. That's why. So I was always and have always been right about this, and folks just keep doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's paying a quarterback less money and keep the weapons.
Speaker 1: That's perplexing to me. I don't know why they they feel like they need to spend money for just average talent at the position that you're paying them like they're an elite talent because of what you do to make I don't know why they do it, but at this point, folks just don't want me to be right, and so they're going to create a bunch of different Well here's why, here's why. It's just so silly and signing for a phone plan thinking wow, great price, and then a few months later there's a prize your bills Hire Boost Mobile. You paid twenty dollars a month forever that's unlimited talk, text and data starting just twenty dollars a month, no price hikes, no contract forever plus. Boost Mobiles now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local Boost store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds not available in all areas after thirty gags, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost Unlimited plan. All right, demons, I promise you guys.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 1: I have to text my ride that I'm going to be out, that I'm a little late be out in five apologies. All right. I want to hit every game. So Falcons beat the Vikings. The story of that game is JJ McCarthy got hurt. The real story of that game is JJ McCarthy looked totally out of sorts. And we are now at seven of eight quarters. He's looked awful, unbelievable fourth quarter Game one, but quarters one through three, quarters one through four of week two, he looked way over his skis. That's a concern. So that's a real worry and now it's a Carson winsteime in Minnesota. Don't love that Ravens beat the Browns forty one to seventeen. Were you ever nervous, Demanse?
Speaker 2: It started off pretty slow, but I wouldn't say that I was ever nervous. Joe Flakall just gave it to us at one point, but yeah to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was. It was a weird game because the Ravens didn't have a ton of yards. Derrick Henry did nothing and the Browns moved the ball. But the Browns just Browns did it repeatedly, got a pump blocked Flacco mistake like you know, just bad, bad errors and the Ravens. You know, last year the Ravens lost to the Raiders in Week two, started a two. So this for them to put it on him like that, I thought was great. Bills beat the Jets. My only concern there is Josh Allen looked like broke his nose like the beat. Yeah, I thought it was worse than just nosebleed, like. I wondered what happened to him there? But the Bills looked awesome. Josh didn't have to do much the Jets defense all of a sudden is a huge concern. You'll let the at the Steelers score thirty four and the Bills score thirty. Speaking of the Steelers, Seahawks defeat the Steelers thirty one seventeen. What everyone's focused on in that game is the Steelers kick returner for getting the rule and the Seahawks getting a free touchdown out of it. You're shaking your head, what do you.
Speaker 2: Fincil Aaron Rodgers just completely blaming the guy after the game?
Speaker 1: Well, the kid, Calvin Austin, Calvin Austin, who's your age?
Speaker 2: A great kid freaking through the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean Rogers was really bad in this game, and he doesn't he doesn't know how to accept that he is no longer good, and I think the Week one mirage probably made it harder for him to accept it. But the Steelers defense now on Pumpkin Watch, just like the Jets defense is and the Steelers offense. I don't think Rogers is gonna save the day. I don't know. Let me look real quick. Who did the Steelers have next? The Steelers? Oh wow, Steelers at Patriots. That's a huge game for both sides. There So Steelers at Patriots, that's an interesting one. They didn't get the Vikings, who should be playing a backup, and the Browns, and then the schedule really get hard. So the Steelers need to go at least two to one in the next three I don't know if I'm optimistic about that. Patriots beat the Dolphins thirty three to twenty seven to one of the more exciting games of the weekend. Uh Drake May was awesome, Tua was not. Mike McDaniel seems ready to be fired, and Demon's ay, Mike McDaniel could get fired this week. Yes, they play Thursday in Buffalo. That could be a blood bath. And if that happens, I don't know. You know, tuas two in Tyreek are still not on the same page. It's just I don't know how in Miami, what.
Speaker 2: You have seen from Miami, I don't know how that game is anything but a blowout. Like I don't Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean divisional game, first day saving but still it feels like Buffalo's gonna molly wop them. Call to be the Broncos twenty nine to twenty eight thanks to the rarely called leverage penalty after a sixty yard missed field goal. Listen, the Broncos deserve to be one and one. They had no business winning Week one. They did. They should have won Week two they didn't. Also, Bo Nicks was terrible Week one and they won, so nobody cared. He was awesome in week two. He threw one bad pick, but he am I right about that. I think he threw the pick in the game, but he was unbelievable in the first half. But they lost anyway. Again, I picked the Broncos demons to miss the playoffs, and I said, I thought they were gonna start awesome. I picked them missed the playoffs anticipating a two to zero start. They're now one in one and yet to look good. And they still have that brutal end of season stretch of Chiefs, Commanders, Raiders, Packers, Jags, Chiefs, Chargers, and they next week they're at the Chargers winner potentially in first plow or will be in first place in the division. And Jacob in the Chat wants to admit Daniel Jones the truth. I'm getting a lot of Saints last year. Derek Carr vibes from this cult. Daniel Jones two and oh numbers amazing, and Saints last year started two and oh Car looked unbelievable. Then it all fell apart and Cardinals defeated the Panthers and one of the worst NFL games ever played. All right, great job, Demons, appreciate you. Great job to Blue Duck Volume, Thank you to hard Rock, thank you to Boost, thank you to seat Geek, thank you to my driver who's been waiting for an hour. I got a run. I'll see you guys on Colin in a little more than an hour. Thursday Regular Show, Friday Gambling Show, all coming up this week. Talk to you guys. Then we'll try