Speaker 1: A bunch of fucking Italians and Irish right and in Chicago, yeh, don't talk about your own people like that, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And Polish, A lot of a lot of Polish people. A lot of the Polish.
Speaker 1: People just spit on the ground. Fucking turn of the century racist out seven years into the show.
Speaker 3: Polish people, Oh my god, shit, that is like a very anti Polish races.
Speaker 2: Why he doesn't even get a lot of the stereotypes, right, they think they're so smart?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What Hello the Internet? And welcome to season three thirty seven, Episode five of Dy'syay production of My Heart Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America share consciousness. And It's Friday, May tenth, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: National Washington Day. Shout out that the Emeralds Great State.
Speaker 1: What do we call that for Apple State?
Speaker 2: I don't know, is there who knows? I think we call that Appleasia.
Speaker 1: I think we call it Appalaysia for all that.
Speaker 2: It's also National clean Up your Room Day and I won't It's National Lipid Day, It's National Shrimp Day. It's also National Provider Appreciation Day, which I believe that's just childcare. Yeah, shout out to everybody. Take care. That's that's special educators, that's uh, people that that that watch our kids while we work and we hustle. Shout out told you.
Speaker 1: I feel like shrimp is a food that goes the furthest from like high on the things i want to eat, like desperately when I'm hungry to even if I'm full on not shrimp, I like shrimp grosses me out?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Not for you?
Speaker 2: Okay, I love shrimp.
Speaker 1: I love shrimp too.
Speaker 2: When i'm wait, wait, when you're hungry, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: But if I'm full shrimp, I just I was just thinking about shrimp.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you're not hungry, you're like when I'm not.
Speaker 1: Hungry, shrimp like grosses me out for some reason.
Speaker 2: Oh I love shrimp, dude, I fucking love shrimp. I love peeling them. I like them peeled whatever.
Speaker 1: But we're going to nothing extended forty five minutes. It's about to be bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly like I like shrimp, gumbo, coconut shrimp.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shrimp's too. I love it all. I just had some shrimp last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking about shrimp this morning before I ate because it's International Shrimp Day or whatever National Shrimp Day, and then I just thought about it after I ate like five pancakes and no longer appealing to me, And this morning I was like, God, I will literally kill for some shrimp. Anyway. My name is Jack O'Brien aka don't break my balls, my stinky stanky balls. I just don't think you understand, because if you break my balls, my stinky stinky balls, I'm my Zelle. You a hefty tip. That is Curtesy Lockeroni on the Discord, in reference to the revelation that I have a paypig relationship with Marcella Arguello. Every time she makes fun of me, I'm secretly, like real into it. You can hear a perverse stop whenever she's roasted me. Just listen back. You'll hear a little little perverse exhale from me every time. Yes, anyways, that's that's gross. But shout out to Marcella. Always great her on. I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, cause sho.
Speaker 5: My type arm takes my tape arm makes me forget short term yo, My type arm makes me forget long term bawl the tape worm out of or right, hey, bawl the type arm out of your arm right.
Speaker 2: Hi, okay for people who don't fuck with toxicity this second, that's so funny. Shout out bottles and fans on discord because I was thinking of that system of a downtrack because it's all about tapeworms. So shout out the tape worm. Shout out bottles and fans. Shout out surge of system of a down. Some of the other guys ways can't quite get buying no more. But yeah, anyway, thank you for that one.
Speaker 1: Miles. We are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of the very faces on Mount Zeitmores, hilarious and brilliant producer and TV writer you know from the Joses Racist podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Andrew two. Guess he's going to host. Tell you I know the rates goal let it go?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I couldn't get through it.
Speaker 4: I couldn't get it from I was on one calendar week ago. I talked about how he's never going to look up Akas in the discord. So this is via Twitter registered mail, so very tired on Twitter. The o in so very tired? Is A is a number?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Me them?
Speaker 2: How's your voice? You had a bit of a development since slash we spoke the literal opposite.
Speaker 4: Turns out, Uh, if if anyone noted any sluggishness in my performance last time, it's because I was convinced I didn't have COVID, but I absolutely had COVID.
Speaker 1: It turns out I totally had COVID.
Speaker 4: I had been visiting my family in Atlanta. They were all sniffilly and a little bit had coughs. But you know, it's like a fucking two year old or whatever. They all were consistently testing negative all week. Oh, I just assume I had what they had, but I had either COVID or they had a big batch of bad tests.
Speaker 2: But I guess it's possible too. Yeah, are the tests working I had?
Speaker 1: I had a similar I really have a stockpile from the early days. Yeah. Yeah, it don't work anymore, right, I don't know, I mean, I don't know how it works.
Speaker 2: Is it like peanut butter in the jar? Does that? Do they go bad like peanut butter? To me? No, there's no way.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a it's a little vial of enzyme.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, I forgot about that part.
Speaker 4: I feel like the paper part of the test is probably fine enough, right, I feel like that enzyme can't. You're probably supposed to be like refrigerating it and like throwing it out after like three months. My is my my medium?
Speaker 1: Fine to me?
Speaker 4: But I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you really putting that that swab? Real far up?
Speaker 1: I get that drips. That's what the kids are talking about when they talk about the drip, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: The COVID tests like a fucking oh not pixie stick, like fun dip. Yeah, that's all they agree. It's to basically be fun dip. If you do it the opposite way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like un fun fun dip. Yeah, fun undip.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's all I've been fucking doing. It wasn't too bad, I will say this. It was not too bad, but it was worse than I thought. You needless to say try not.
Speaker 2: To get COVID. Probably more people should be wearing masks more places, yeah, probably, but hey, but they declared pandemic over So it.
Speaker 4: Was one of those things where I was like, because I tested negative, and I was like, can I go out, and I was like, well, Joe Biden would say it would be fine if I went out, and I was like, come on, there's a lot of shit he says that I probably don't want to lift.
Speaker 1: Was he still alive? I don't know, know, man, I mean that's what probably he doesn't probably live by that. He just tells people this ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's gotta be right. So uh yeah, that's that's what I've been up to get.
Speaker 1: Did you watch anything good like out of boredom or like rewatch anything you wouldn't have otherwise, or just like done anything? Really?
Speaker 4: I did one one thing. Once I started to feel better but was still testing positive, I was like real bored, so I made kind of a bootleg ka with I just had like like chicken in my fridge. I had no sake, no uh meeting no meaning I did have meet it. Actually that was I used Chinese cooking wine. I didn't have like I had corn stars. But because I'm a fucking idiot, I didn't have like normal flour, so I was like olemond flour. It was weird but fine. Yeah, And because I was so bored, I used I made mayonnaise, in which ship good for you.
Speaker 2: That's where I was at.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm gonna make mayonnaise and deep fry in a walk for myself and.
Speaker 1: Made artisanal mayo.
Speaker 2: At least it didn't affect your taste, because that would have been such an l meal to be like, yeah, maybe.
Speaker 4: Yeah I did.
Speaker 2: I definitely did.
Speaker 4: My that's a smell is not one hundred percent, but my taste is fine, Oh beautiful.
Speaker 2: I think, look, I don't know, tbd TBD.
Speaker 1: As someone else tastes the mayonnaise and like their hair falls out, They're like, holy shit, yeah.
Speaker 4: Just blast you with whatever's in here. And then I watched I was watching some people play Hades to.
Speaker 2: Online.
Speaker 4: I love the vibe of the Hades franchise. Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: I you know, I'm a switch god, Nintendo switch god, like Jack is. Obviously Jack is the first the one who told me to get on Hades and I did.
Speaker 4: But then then he was like, Haiti's nuts, and he's I got your ass.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then I hear I don't think Hades two is on switch right, I don't think it's like I.
Speaker 4: Don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, Yeah, it's a big l I think for the Switch fans, at least, not yet. And I could be wrong anyways. I can't please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a female guts on PS five and Steam and that kind of ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean two days ago, games Radar Plus was saying, will hate me to be on PS five, Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X. So that would suggest that it's not there yet, okay, And I look up. I just knew that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, gamings in your bones, just the way I knew that, just like how I knew the works of earlier this week.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly, you got a gamer's heart, O'Brien, right because they got the part of a gamer, because the person who gave you that heart transplant was a gamer, right, literally the heart of a gamer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like to get them young, the hearts, you know, young gamers. Still a lot of beats left.
Speaker 4: What I'm strongly assuming you guys have covered this already because it was we old and feels like right up your alley. But that ship about how the red lobster endless shrimp was like such a money loser for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then I had a moment when you guys are doing the shrimp thing because I had a sandwich off camera, off camera, off my whatever. I wanted to get in on the shrimp bits, but I was like, I'm gonna take one more bite of sand before we really get.
Speaker 1: So shrimp is I I did notice you gesturing that I was incorrect on my take on shrimp being really great when I'm hungry, but not as I'm not hungry. You like it no matter what.
Speaker 4: I think I did. I'm I like, you know those Costco shrimp rings.
Speaker 2: Yeah I could.
Speaker 4: I could fully take one of those down I have. I've been at the like like I dined.
Speaker 2: Isn't there a lot of iodine and shrimp? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but for iodine right on disease that he gave himself for mercury poisoning.
Speaker 4: And then oh wait no, I'd thing though that feels like from a movie only from Rick Ross.
Speaker 2: I A dine put it takes. It would take a lot from what I understand what movie was. There was a guy in a movie who had like ate too much shrimp and like a wheelbarrow shrimp. Yeah, shrimp, I dine. Movie was that all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I think if if there's any way to do so, that endless shrimp thing felt like it was the like movie pass of.
Speaker 2: Right right, yeah yeah, but if everyone goes back, I think I think we got to take a field trip boys, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot time and put them out of business once and from hell in the coffin dead like like.
Speaker 2: Like did you see like those I remember seeing like like stupid TikTok videos of like bros and college cafeterias, like you know how like in a college cafeteria, like the cereals dispense that like a plastic tower that like fill or whatever, and these guys just kept trying to eat so many bowls of cereal to force the kitchen people to like just refill like the tower of fucking like cheerios that like they roped more and more dudes, and they captured like we're trying to empty the fucking tower, and they were just cheering every time they would like refell it and be baffled by it. I think we need something like that, Like we need to pull up like fifty deep and then everybody brings three friends and yeah, I think we could do it. That's probably the best thing we can do with our time right now.
Speaker 4: It feels like the type of thing I said on this show before. But I went to a restaurant near me, an Echo Park that's a Japanese ish it is Japanese restaurant where they do the grilled shrimp whatever the fuck that's called. I'm looking at Miles a little bit grilled. What do you mean just it's just grilled, just grilled prawns, but with the head on.
Speaker 2: Still okay.
Speaker 4: Anyway I went with. I was at a table with like, you know, half Asian people, half not Asian people.
Speaker 2: I would say, yeah.
Speaker 4: And my move there because you know, it's like mostly white people because the fucking Echo Park and this restaurant. So they bring out the shrimp and then they always bring out a little plate for people to discard their heads in, and I was like, get that ship out of here. I'm not we don't need this. And then none of the none of the Asian people ate any shrimp heads. So I take out an entire two plates worth of shrimp Christmas. I remember I got made fun of in like junior high or whatever for eating shrimp tails in front of people.
Speaker 2: They're like, what do you do them?
Speaker 4: I'm like, Calico are Yeah, I could see that, but I feel like California is a gregious I don't know, man, people are fucked up and evil.
Speaker 2: What can I say? Are so stupid?
Speaker 1: Anyway, I guess I'm evil. I don't need the tails or the heads.
Speaker 2: You gotta gotta get in mayonnaise.
Speaker 4: I'll make this my my search, even though it's it was a while ago, which was alretty shrimp heads is like, is it possible to get an allergic reaction?
Speaker 1: That was a little like, man, I don't feel great, but like a manufactured allergic. You're not allergic, but like your.
Speaker 2: Body's like that'll be enough easy.
Speaker 4: Andrew, I have I have some worries because I I'm like, I feel like I don't have food allergies. But I did go to a boiling crab one time similarly and had enough shrimp that I was like, I think I have some hives. I don't really know what's happening here. Yeah, I was just worried. I was like, can you give.
Speaker 2: Yourself a shellfish allergy?
Speaker 1: Allergy?
Speaker 2: Went od on the shellfish possible to od? Yeah? Yeah, all right, Andrew, we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment.
Speaker 1: Listeners a couple of things we might be talking about later on. We might get to the IPA commercial that everyone thinks is so cool. Limitarianism is just a very simple premise that I don't know, I think is cool. I think we should talk more about sex workers have gained historic labor rights in Belgium, which is cool. Hey, speaking of shrimp rings and serial Towers, Warner Brothers has decided to stubbornly keep making Lord of the Rings movies. They're just gonna stick away with it. They don't give a fuck what you people say. People are like, please stop, Well we're so full, and they're.
Speaker 2: Just like nah.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk about that. It's all around banger of an earnings call from Zaslab, all of that, plenty more. But first, Andrew, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history or something that you've recently screencapped?
Speaker 4: Obviously the shrimp thing.
Speaker 2: Shrimp thing, possible to die from shrimp, I would.
Speaker 4: Say, probably the next most recent thing. Oh yeah, okay, So basically the second I tested negative, I went I was like, I want to go see a movie so bad. I just want to get the fuck out of my house. So I finally lay to the game, but finally watch Challengers and this this is just illustrative of how bad my brain works, because this is a reflex, even though I know it's stupid in retrospect, I did google weather. Challengers has a post credits scene.
Speaker 1: Where all the Challengers come together. Yeah, it does sound like it could be like an attempt to like replace Avengers with like a new group of superheroes.
Speaker 4: Like just just like, yeah, well it turns into a foursome basically. Yeah, I'm just like, it's just a reflex. I just want to know if I can leave the second the credits were all right, and.
Speaker 1: Was there in this case to run, run to the bathroom and jack off? I'm assuming because Challengers yeah so hot?
Speaker 2: No turns out?
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no post credit sequence.
Speaker 4: I did not realize. I thought it was a wonderful movie, and I think this has been one of my recommendations.
Speaker 2: Prior on this show.
Speaker 4: Structurally, it is almost identical to the anime feature anime The Last Slam Dunk. No really, I did not realize. It is much more of a sports movie than I thought. So, right, if you're on the fence. Yeah, it's like a fucking it's a sports movie, right, among other things.
Speaker 1: Sure, you're like a tennis obsessive like that's yeah, but.
Speaker 4: It's it is that like all the same themes of I mean, and many other themes. But but the theme that I was surprised by was this like sports like competition, like hyper focused competitiveness aspect of it.
Speaker 1: I was like, you thought that was more of like a backdrop, but it is, like it is truly what is It's.
Speaker 4: Part of the movie. It's a big part of the movie. Yeah, and the other this is just just because this is to get to know me, and it's in the trailer. But the ways and day I hear at her knee is identical to the way I dislocated my knee when I was in high school.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh I forgot that was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty fat.
Speaker 1: That's horrible.
Speaker 2: So I'm fun. I've been having fun. Guys.
Speaker 1: We have a great executive producer on our team, Lyras Smith, who has seen Challengers three times now. I think, and it is like I think I'm just gonna like keep seeing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 1: Think I like until yeah. Yeah, They're like, she's just gonna watch it until she can't watch it anymore.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's it's quite good.
Speaker 4: I don't it's it's so weird because it is like one of the last worlds I would ever want to live in. It's so unpleasant being there. It's yeah, but the movie is really good. Challengers, Chalmers, Challengers, Challengers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it does not have anything to like, there's the doesn't even mention the space shuttle.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's it's there though, you know it's.
Speaker 1: In the subtext.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, it's it's yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean at the end she puts on a mex suit and fights the Queen Challenger, which is like, oh, really insane, but away from her, you bitch.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: The way that that movie was pitched was so he had a went board with Challengers on it.
Speaker 2: They and the it.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're all up on it. But yeah, it's it's textually there because you can tell that Zendaiah's parents watched that in third grade, watched the Challenger explode.
Speaker 4: I will say there there's several time jumps in it, and I guess without spoiling it, it's really hard to buys and die as certain ages that she portrayed.
Speaker 1: That that is what I've heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little like come on, yeah, how.
Speaker 1: They show her as a baby, like an eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Just a tiny Zandaia right now. Yeah, I've heard the same thing about certain age age. But age is fine, Habita, but Zindia. I just feel like, yeah, she's never had the thought like all my taxes are due, you know, I feel it.
Speaker 4: I guess I will say. The character still supports that. It's it's it is kind of just like she even the alleged thirty year old version.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, she probably doesn't worry a better tastic right, never had to?
Speaker 1: Uh, Andrew, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: And this again, I've just had COVID. This is on me obviously because I know people love this, but I just I was just taking long ass walks because I was like, I'm want to get some kind of exercise in Yeah, I guess part of it is, yeah, unbelievably long walks.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. We're talking like a fucking sojourn across the state.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like I could do it now, but no, I do mean, I mean two laps around Echo Park, which is unt long for me.
Speaker 1: So we were talking about like, yeah, that's what he means, but unbelievably long. People start following him around because they can't believe he's still doing it.
Speaker 2: Wow, this guy did three laps around Echo Park Lake, unbelievably.
Speaker 1: There's the legend grows.
Speaker 4: Never able to figure out the exact tweet for this, but it's it's the time of year where the baby geese are out, and and so I was trying to figure out some goslings Ryan gosling fall guy thing. But there's my dog almost got in a fight with multiple mother geese.
Speaker 2: Don't geese, man, that's witches.
Speaker 1: Like they are not nice there.
Speaker 4: They seem angry and territorial and.
Speaker 2: Their kids are cute. Yeah, they're there.
Speaker 4: I saw because of my again, unfathomably long walks. I've seen multiple families of like baby East jumping into the goslings. I saw goslin jump into the pool or into the lake, and it's so cute, warm your heart, so cute every time.
Speaker 2: Is that your favorite bird? Would you say, as a man, andrew T, what's your favorite bird?
Speaker 4: Damn, damn, damn, damn question. That just needs to be part of our questions. Man, what's your favorite bird? As a yeah, tik tok, motherfucker. I'll say, I'll say I think maybe just a regular duck. Goose is like too much. I'm not like, yeah like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're really very elegant and graceful, the goose, the like by design, like their their neck design is just too.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're getting the light. We're getting the light. We're getting the light from justice folks, We're getting the light ship movement.
Speaker 1: This is what's these things overrated?
Speaker 4: Andrew apparently it's uh not giving a shit about COVID because I probably should have been more careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well everywhere you go it's a theme week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I've Yeah, every time you get on a plane, there's like less and less masks. There's yeah, like now you see people with masks and like, is this person like gonna is are they gonna do a robbery? Why are they have a.
Speaker 1: Mask on it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Right, nobody nobody gets hurt. It's the plane's money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, it's the plane's smoked almonds.
Speaker 7: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: And an iPad commercial came out that seemed like a normal iPad commercial to me, but it's getting a lot of, uh, a lot of backlash from people, and I mean it's not I get it, like it's it's seems a little like the machine will crush all of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the commercial portrays like a bunch of like instruments like painting supplies, like a turntable, a fucking piano, paint brushes, like you know, the tools of the artist, and then this gigantic, fucking hydraulic press just fox it all down to like a fucking singularity. And then when it when the hydrog press then releases and opens up, it's like, and here's the new iPad And yeah, like I get what you're trying to say is like, man, look at all the fun shit you can do. But I get like the on Twitter and social media, people fucking lost it. Japanese Twitter fucking went up because they were like, these are the fucking how darely disrespect these tools that are used to create things or whatever. I myself was also fucking upset because the very first object to get it at the top of this crush pyramid was a trumpet, which is the very first instrument I learned how to play. And when I saw that thing, just get absolutely just like crushed down it. Like I remember when I was a kid man, like I had this like older used trumpet, and I always wanted a new trumpet because I remember all the other kids in band had like new or nicer trumpets. And when I finally got when I was like in high school, I would freak out if anything like ever happened to the bell or if it got dented or some shit like that. So seeing that thing, it fucked it. It fucked me up. And then a turntable I was like, I was a DJ. Then camera lenses and stuff. I was like I my foray into media was taking pictures and making videos. Like this is fucked up. I don't know why. It really fucked me up.
Speaker 4: Because it's not just that it like, you know, it's trying to say this is a way to amalgamate these things, but it's shot as that anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're obsolete.
Speaker 4: It is like like a real it's such a bizarre I kind of had a similar reaction initially where I was like, yeah, I don't love it.
Speaker 2: But whatever.
Speaker 4: However, someone on Twitter Resurrection are Easy A R W R E c k Shun basically did a version of this where they said it to I forget some different music, but plays it, play it backwards and it is like surprisingly heartwarming when you watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, replaced our screens with actual ship, which says the same what's inside?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like the this like little tab has like you know, the argument that this, like you people use iPad pros to create are is a little like specious, I feel like, because it's like, yeah, you watch things on your iPad and people do create things, but not really Yeah, I don't think they want to.
Speaker 1: The overall message doesn't really hang together intellectually, Like there's they have like plastic angry birds in there that get smashed, suggesting that like the game Angry Birds was a replacement for some real loogable version of Angry Birds, where like we're all just driving around with our cars full of angry birds that we were throwing at towers and it was so cumbersome, but now we replace it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a I mean, I think it's just also the backdrop where people are just increasingly more and more suspicious of technology, especially like in creative fields. Like we were just talking about how like that BBL drizzy AI song, Like.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking about that, like like in the context of the BBL drizzy thing the backla, like I hate this fucking commercial now because the BBL drizzy like song sounds too good and people are like, no, it's just AI, man, it's just AI. And I'm like, but it can't just be like they're taking somebody's work and like doing something to it in a way that like is utilizing AI in like some specific parts of the creation process. But there's also a lot of like instrumentation and music that is being used going into the mix. But everyone's like just a, I, you actually can replace all that stuff now, you don't need music anymore.
Speaker 2: She need an iPad, man, just need an iPad? Yeah, do all that shit?
Speaker 1: Cool?
Speaker 4: It is It is like this thing where it's also like Silicon Valley I think has this like I think because their taste and creative stuff is so mid It's it's like this like like worship of diletantism. It's like because the thing is it's like, yeah, an iPad pro can sort of do all these things badly, but why not get good at a thing, Like you actually don't need a thing that can paint and produce music and like program and be your Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like everything's getting like literally flattened in this way where we aren't valuing like the process of like honing and developing a craft, which I think is just like one of the things that are kind of the few things we can enjoy, is like starting out at something you're really interested in and then over time getting better and better and figuring out like how you make it your own thing. So yeah, yeah, I just just the apple just to go dump on all of our faces, all of us are all the crafts people out there? Yeah, like that.
Speaker 1: I think part of what initially didn't like had me not resisting it, is that like I hate stuff at this point, like being a parent, and like you know, my kids bring home so much stuff from school or like if they to a birthday party, there's just like you know, junk drawer filler like that comes home with them. Like, so like there's something that's enjoyable about the idea of like all what if all of that just got smashed down and like disappeared, But then the thing you're like replacing it with is this like sleek looking illusion that is actually like as we talked about on Monday's episode, filled with like minerals that need to be like mined out the earth by hand by like slave labor the equivalent. So yeah, it's just a slick illusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wild though too that like a lot of people have to like just play it backwards take and how effective it is in that sense, you're like, damn man, just you could have reversed it. It's from a different flapnapuff.
Speaker 4: It's like when the metaphor is pitched, it kind of makes sense, but like it is like truly the direction I think of this piece. There's there's a way to do something like this that's like I don't know less dystopian feeling. Like the other thing is like this this has a real like book burning vibe to it, Like it's very kind of like yeah, like I don't know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, Like it's like the artisans know nothing of what our future actually will hold fucking yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is like this is like some like bad guys, like yeah, the guy that's fucking trying to kill Roger Rabbit kind of vibes like the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it could even just been different if you just like crushed a bunch of technologic technological ship where it's like it's a TV, it's a computer, it's this other thing.
Speaker 8: All together in like a whimsical even if the press is a little like more listen, I'm going to assume some very very very well compensated ad agency Media Art.
Speaker 2: Labs to be specific. Probably I feel like that's who makes all the commercials. Yeah, yeah, that's such an la fucking thing. I said, I'm sorry, I gotta go man.
Speaker 1: Like calling out the production company that that was Media Arts Lab. You can actually tell like there they have a very specific auturistic vision and sort of meason scene that you're always going to some very telltale signatures and visual flourishes. Yeah, Like replace color with sleek black obelisk is very hard, right, dystopian.
Speaker 2: White fascist for sure? Would you do this?
Speaker 1: What if the messiness of life was a slick black mirror you held in your hand? All right, let's see. Sex workers have gained historic labor rights in Belgium. In twenty twenty two, we talked about how Belgium became the first European country to decriminalize sex work, and while sex workers have still faced a number of significant issues since then, Belgium has passed historic legislation approving employment contract for sex workers, following years of lobbying efforts. They will be entitled to health insurance, pensions, unemployment, family benefits, holidays, and maternity leave, which is, yeah, I don't like that. It's one of those things where like I couldn't have imagined like such a like that's just such a great outcome that like seems almost difficult to imagine in America, you know, right where sex workers don't even count as humans in the mainstream media, like when they're talking about like crimes.
Speaker 2: We were just talking about how like AI sex quote unquote workers are have like like better chances of flourishing financially on the Internet than human beings do. And it's also just wild to even look at in the context. I'm like, just in general, any worker like in the United States being like pensions, unemployed, family benefits, but parent great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also like having this be an on the record vote, it's like unfathomable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so hard to imagine.
Speaker 2: We're truly just these like fucking fucked up animals like in a zoo in Americas.
Speaker 1: Like what do they have out there? What other part that I think a lot of politicians would really object to is that the sex workers are guaranteed the quote right to refuse a client or a sexual act, as well as the right to interrupt a sexual act at any time without fear of dismissal or punishment. Yeah. I can't imagine that all the people in the Senate and House would be on board with that one.
Speaker 2: No, oh my god, I mean that's the thing. It's just we are just so just the way uh, like Congress is set up, and just like legislation, like legislative bodies across the country, like the idea to be like and we are extending a humane view on something like this is just unfathomable. And yeah, it goes against what so many and even fucking Democrats doesn't even matter. Like there's just still in America, we just have such a stupid uh what's the word I'm looking for. There's like a yeah, yeah, well that's a stupid ass ship.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 1: I know what you're trying to say. You're trying to say, we got stupid ass ship.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry. Yeah, that it's maligned in such a way that we're just unable to ever approach like a conversation about it creatively. Yeah, but yeah, again, sex work is real work. But yeah, you know, hats off to Belgium. Good for you, even though we were just talking about the the Congo, where Belgium definitely did a fucking number on Yeah, sorry, Leopold, Sorry about that, Leopold.
Speaker 1: So I mean there are other places where sex work has been decriminalized, like New Zealand, Germany and the Netherlands, and so hopefully this will inspire similar regulations in those countries. All right, we'll take that, But those governments have not set up a comparable legal framework, but maybe this will inspire them.
Speaker 4: To do so, my honest, biggest surprise, and maybe this is just me glorifying mentally the I don't know, the like European social safety net. I guess I was a little surprised that these things were not like de facto extended to all human beings in Belgium.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, but what do I know. Yeah, it's not a perfect country man, just so you know, like it's so bad once you move there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back, and we're back, And so Warner Brothers in an earnings call CEO David Zave this Azz as we call him on this show. We're big fans, specifically big fans of the fact that he like doesn't seem like he can make a good decision, like he seems like speaking of allergies, he seems allergic making good decisions. But also just like for the extra flair or big fans of the time when he made everybody watch Fleabag on his yacht but then like paused it and was like, this is too horny. Either we stop it now, or we continue watching and nobody's allowed to look at me while I jack off, or that's not how he put it, he said, or we keep watching and nobody looks at each other, which is such a weird, oh weird request that I has to be nobody looks at me while I jack off. But anyways, is hyping some stuff that I think is really going to be exciting to everybody listening and both of you guys. He's hyping new streaming bundles, specifically a bundle with Max, Hulu and Disney Plus aka cable television without the regulations, right, yeah, yeah, but he said, it does feel like this is a moment, doesn't it, Guys, You feel like this feels like it's a moment in terms of what the next year two years will bring. Restructuring is underway and streaming and the business will look a lot different in two to three years. It will be a lot better for consumers. Yeah, that's always what he's looking classic. Yeah, holy bit dumb, unintelligible names for everything, man, I mean it will be Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Are we just gonna fucking I mean, honestly, this is what we've been saying, kind of like the absurdity of all the streaming is like it what we're just doing cable again. It's just gonna be like streaming cable now.
Speaker 4: Basically I did not realize. So my day job in my twenties was I worked at Comedy Central Digital, you know, in back in the day, and I remember being mystified because they were just like, you know, Internet's the future, we're going to be it's this weird. I mean, I think that the two parts of this episode that are so bizarre to me that I just don't relate to because I think it's stupid and wrong. Are these like tech people's obsession with the pipe, like the gear that makes something as opposed to what that thing.
Speaker 2: Is, right.
Speaker 4: I think I worked with people that genuinely assumed they would be running like creative development of Comedy Central, because they were the ones that were like building the websites and stuff. And I'm like why, and it was like, well, we know the Internet, and it's like, yeah, the Internet is like a tube really like genuinely like if you think that, like.
Speaker 1: To them, it's the it's a delivery tube.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was so bizarre that these people genuinely seem to believe this, and I think they I guess they clearly still do, and you know, the people that pay them definitely still do.
Speaker 1: Because it's like I work at Regal Cinema's concessions and I'm just waiting for Nolan to call me and ask me to start in his next picture.
Speaker 2: He's gonna, yeah, he's gonna want to develop my screenplay for sure.
Speaker 1: It's got some pretty cool things.
Speaker 2: Yeah that yeah, that is me. I am the guy who fucked the dune bucket. Yeah, do you want to make a move? No, oh, you asked me to leave?
Speaker 4: Okay, Sorry, sorry, andre No, no, no, I think that's just that it's it's this thing where like I think, I think this will genuinely believes that this stuff getting delivered via an app app is materially different for the consumer.
Speaker 2: Than cable, right.
Speaker 4: I think he generally believes this, and it's some of the stupidest shit I've just like, but that's what's funny talking about.
Speaker 2: But like to your point, Andrew, right, like the people who were working on that early stuff who believed it because they're like, yeah, because I know this shit. But then the problem is these older or like people in like more senior leadership roles can't acknowledge they don't know it, so they go into this same energy's like I know this ship and I'm not gonna I'm not about to let you of the goes it to me.
Speaker 4: It was this thing where it's like I again, it was it was that like people who are like I don't know, like essentially like if they were a tech company that were in project managers, like we're gonna be the ones developing Daily show or whatever, it's.
Speaker 2: Like oh yeah, making that jump. Yeah, But it's the same.
Speaker 4: It's the same as like Zaslav thinking he under like it matters that if script It's like, yeah, I get you're in charge, but yeah, the are you talking about it? You haven't had no point, like like exhibited any taste of anything.
Speaker 2: Would you?
Speaker 1: As somebody who worked on a creative website that was owned by a company that main was mainly focused on S e O and that was their area of expertise, but they had notes for us on the creative I have no idea what you're talking about, never experienced any such thing.
Speaker 2: Can you make more for cheaper? Yeah? Yeah, that's not how the creative shit works.
Speaker 4: Do you think it could be like more funny, humorous? Laugh a minute atale?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just how do we scale the laughs in the chuckles?
Speaker 2: We've got this other subsidiary brand that uses uh just like chat bots to come up with videos and they do it for really cheap, Like maybe you can do that for funny stuff too.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Maybe guys should meet them, Maybe you should meet them and pick their brain the chat bots. Yeah yeah, yeah, I can get it. You want, I can get it to me do a joke right now if you want me to. But I mean like it, I love that this this whole thing too. On top of him being like, yeah, this is a fucking moment, he's also just doubled back to fucking show how out of touch this whole fucking world is to be.
Speaker 2: Like. Yeah, also announcing another live action Lord of the Rings movie, but this one is about Galla Yea, and everyone's like, who gives a ship?
Speaker 1: This one's also from Peter Jackson though, And by that I mean he's not writing or he's not directing it, the thing that he's known for, he's just right with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in chat because it's going to be Andy serkis Who's that's going to be interesting. Andy serkis starring and directing the Galla movie. That feels like a lot like is he gonna be like just hobbling around on a mo cash stage? And then's like, all right, let me. I was like, I need to go to the video village to just see some playback.
Speaker 4: I mean, you gotta say a character if you're going to direct that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the video village.
Speaker 4: Could somebody get me some banana pudding from I will also just say all these fucking studio heads and who are pretending like all of their decisions now are like just passionate data in bullshit. The spate of Lord of the Rings stuff really kind of like I think should put a dagger in that idea because it's like, these guys are doing Lord of the Rings. Amazon paid you know, fucking what, multi billion dollars.
Speaker 1: For the ip most expensive like ever made.
Speaker 4: Yeah, after Game of Thrones came out. Tells me two things. One is like as expected, like the AI, all it can do is look at the past and it could tell you, yeah, Lord of the Rings did well, which guess what any of us could tell you that, yeah? Or which I think the thing that I think is actually happening, which is this is still driven by the preferences of you know, nine white, mostly white guys, Like they're doing this because the people that run these companies like Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: Because that's the shit they grew up on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're fucking nerds, which is fine, But like pretending that these are like, you know, masterful business decisions is like, this is just as much Aboussion project or anything else. It's just like they they have no imagination.
Speaker 1: It's just like vaguely similar to a previous passion project that succeeded.
Speaker 2: That at one time had passion behind it.
Speaker 1: It's like and is now just a diminished.
Speaker 4: This is a businessman's passion project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the Lord of the Rings, Amazon like prime video thing. I was shocked by how little it like actually existed, Like it.
Speaker 2: Had a something like a thirty seven percent completion rate from people who started watching it.
Speaker 4: And I've genuinely I've heard it's really good. I don't think this is about anyone making but it is like throwing that kind of resource behind a thing and and like not green lighting things or canceling things because of quote unquote data doesn't all compute, like right, like the thing is if you're going to be quote unquote you know, data driven, dispassionate masters of the universe, it has to be for everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I cut through it.
Speaker 4: It is beyond clear that this is just like here because like because they like.
Speaker 2: It, I'm sure whatever. They probably had to pay to license that IP. They're like, we got to fucking make something back.
Speaker 4: Sure, yes, yes, but paying side down on this, paying to license it for that price was purely based on passion. Again, a businessman's passion, but passion like but like, don't pretend like you know you're doing this because it's the best business decision if you just want to do it.
Speaker 2: It's just funny because like the continued exploitation of this intellectual property, this ip has only just brought like diminishing returns. Like there was a they made a fucking Gollum video game last year and it was universally acknowledged, Like this is one of the worst fucking video games of all time. Like you're just fucking galluming around and Ship he's like the least interesting case, Like you never like you know who I want to be in a video game, this heroin addict who just fucking slithers around in the fucking shadows. Like it's not a fucking fun game. Like the voiceover shit was so off. There's like for people who are like into YouTube, like game reviews, this guy game Donkey did like a really fucking hilariously scathing review of it, and this Ship it has a thirty six on Metacritic. Okay, it's how bad this game is. And it was so bad the fucking developers of the game had to apologize for the game being so shit. They said, like in their like releases, like quote, we would like to sincerely apologize for the underwhelming experience many of you have had with the Lord of the Lord of Ring Gollum. First of all, in the Ring. In the letter they called it the Lord of Ring Colon Gollam. Oh yeah, oh yeah, the Lord of Ring Dude, I love it of fun. We acknowledge and deeply regret that the game did not meet the expectations we set for ourselves or for our dedicated community. Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment this may have caused. Once again, we deeply apologize for any inconvenience caused, and we appreciate your understanding. During this time, we will continue to keep you updated on our progress and provide a trans like they're like, we're gonna make it better. We're gonna make it better. It's like you're you're not.
Speaker 1: They were so serious and so like devastated like about this performance that they outsourced the writing of the apology letter to like a shitty AI the Lord of iringm game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say this, listen, teddy uh psychang video game developers.
Speaker 2: I think like a like a.
Speaker 4: Like a sixteen bit style fishing simulator with Gollum.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, Yeah, Like what's Gollum good at you know, just fucking hob hopping around in the mud finding weird ship.
Speaker 1: Well, this is before Miles to be fair to this project, and I do want to be fair to it. This this is based on storylines yet to be told, So it's basically going to be stuff that was from the first book that was omitted for brevity. Like that's I guess what happened with the Prime show was like these were little side projects or like you know, based on manuscript stuff that like didn't get included to a large degree because again it's like the original like Peter Jackson, he he had lots of hours to work with when he was making The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit series, he chose not.
Speaker 2: To tell these fucking stories.
Speaker 1: Like his artist's brain was like, you know what story would actually fucking suck and we should just like cut that out. Is like nobody needs to know how Gollum got that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we get it. Yeah, especially like because it's not like he has any skills again that you're like he can fly or has super strength. It's like this dude has like Lebron James hair and fucking crawls around on all fours and Lebron James' I mean, look like the Lakers are out and I'm pissed about it, so I gotta i gotta direct it with somebody. But yeah, again, this is just it. It It blows my fucking mind that they keep trying to make this thing happen. Just let Lord of Ring, Lord of Ring Glum just go bye bye. And again, like the idea that they're like, yeah, you know this, all the scraps on the floor the meat processing plant, Let's turn that into like a new product that everyone's gonna love hot dog, you know, and here we go.
Speaker 1: But I mean it worked for hot Dog.
Speaker 2: It did work for hot Dog. But I think that's truly Yeah, when when we're talking about stuff on the d like literally the editing room floor being like yeah, yeah, this is so well.
Speaker 4: It's also like, again, since those movies came out, Game of Thrones happened, Like it's so bizarre to go back to the older PG thing after the medium has clearly progressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, and you know what part of Game of Thrones didn't work storylines yet to be told. Yeah, the part that really ship the vent. But yeah, no, let's do a feature length deleted scene. You you won't have to worry about what whether there's like post credits scenes on this, because the entire thing is a post credits right.
Speaker 2: Pretty soon Zaslav will be like, let's just like, you know those outtakes, those are pretty funny. Yeah, when bas care, let's just call can we string that together? Lord of Ring outtakes gollum TM.
Speaker 1: Lord of Ring, The rest is still unwritten.
Speaker 2: The Lord of Ring, the.
Speaker 1: Rest is still unwritten. God, Andrew T. What a pleasure having you daily, Thanks for having me. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man? Still still you know it's this crisist. We got a premium show. It's fun.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's don't find me walking around the Patreon. Yeah, well it's a yeah, it's that it's a suboptimal pods dot com. We have a show where we also don't talk about race. It's the spoonful of Sugar approach.
Speaker 1: There you go, and otherwise they can just find you taking.
Speaker 4: Just if you can walk slow enough, you can find me, like the Flash, but you gotta be slow enough.
Speaker 1: Taking walks near a water as Yeah, it doesn't near a water water doesn't need to be an ocean. You can just water than you can. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess it's fucking Challengers.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I still got the score because the second I saw it's Trent Reznor and Atticus, I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 4: More it's more noticeably a those guys score. Then oh really, I I guess The Killer had one because I I just it's one of those things where you forget like working composers do lots of stuff and lots of different styles. This is like, oh yeah, clearly these guys did this one right. Yeah, look it's it's I will just say I was It was not the movie I was expecting by a million miles, and it was much better than I thought it was gonna be. And I thought it was gonna be good.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, it makes me very pretty good.
Speaker 2: I would I would watch it.
Speaker 4: But also watched the Last Slam Dunk. But okay, so I will just say, you guys are sports heads. Both of those movies do a thing that I really liked, and I know other sports movies have done it, but this felt like there was an element of style above this and they I'm guessing they can't have been that inspired by each other, but maybe, yeah, you saw Last Time Note. But what they do is they take two sports that are very very to of eyes, basketball and tennis, and they do a good job of finding other ways of shooting it. Like my favorite shots from both of those movies are basically a theoretical your pov the ball oh okay wow, which is like it's just like a thing you never like, no one would get to see ever.
Speaker 2: Such a broke, such a bro moment. Jack and I had like, whoa wait, I was ball the ball, the ball? I was me.
Speaker 1: Like Andrew, so we all know ball is life, but this film presupposes is what if I is ball?
Speaker 4: But it truly there's like two shots. My favorite one of those shots though, is in Last Time Done, I won't I'll just give it away? Who gives a ship? It's pov as if you're in the center of the ball, it's transparent and you're looking down on the tip off, and it was like.
Speaker 1: Fun, that's a cool Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just like a.
Speaker 4: Cool shot that I was like, oh yeah, it never really occurred. To me that I wanted to see that.
Speaker 2: That's coolly no way, Yeah, doing your thing. I have a slam dunk jersey that I bought a knockoff one online that someone Oh you can't buy a rail one. Yeah you gotta go yeah yeah yeah, like a shot hook like jersey anyway, they got him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did not watch the anime, but the movie is great and there are shocking similarities. But I truly know it's like that's my double feature. If I forget to program one, it is those two movies back.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you so much for you you joined on such late notice. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the best.
Speaker 4: Anything to not write. I love that writing.
Speaker 2: That's how I go, hey, hey you got to write anything right now? Yeah, hey you want to come on? You want to come on easier? Yes, I love you.
Speaker 1: On assignment man a deadline, Yeah yeah, we have the guests. Don't need to show up. We got we got Andrews on deadline. We're good for a week.
Speaker 4: About deadline, I just want to finish this fucking like I've just been trying to write this fucking movie.
Speaker 1: Nice miles miles of wikimedia.
Speaker 2: You've been enjoying at Miles of Gray, at Miles of Gray, at Miles of Gray, And each time I said that that was relating to a different platform, I try to at Miles of Gray. Ho uh and yeah. Shout out to everybody who hit me up. If you want that Discord invite, just hit me up. I'll send it to you. I'm trying to get through everybody who's added me and DMed me on Instagram and Twitter and the like, so you can join the community there. On Discord. You can find Jack and I our basketball podcast, Miles and Jack. I'm madees. And you can also find me talking and a shit about ninety day fiance on Top twenty. I talked that shit. Some tweets I like. I got a few. First one at Mitch's Diary tweeted, you know how some people brag about quitting smoking cold turkey, Well I just picked it up hot turkey, straight into addiction. Stupid. Another one at crank t Nelson tweeted, it's so wild that you can say the guy running for president who's suffering from major cognitive impairment, and it doesn't narrow down who you're talking about even a little bit.
Speaker 1: Not one doesn't eliminate a single of the three major candidates.
Speaker 2: And then there's another one from at a underscore pseudonym. It's someone like it quote tweeted this old tweet from twenty twenty three. It's it's of Joe Biden, like clearly coming off like the staircase of like air Force one or something, and it said, can someone explain what actually happened here? And then they just quote tweeted it mustn't it on the beat? Hope it looks.
Speaker 1: Like it really does.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's such a glorious.
Speaker 1: That's great. Let's see some tweets I've been enjoying at Can't Ever Die. Congratulations to that person tweeted how do coworkers watch so much stuff? And that's something that I ask myself every day. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram.
Speaker 1: We have a Facebook fan page on a website, Daily zeitgeist dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes, so we link off to the information we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy, Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: This is a bit of like psychedelic jazz R and B from this group called Cousin Koula k U La. They're from Bristol in it it's called Poisoned and it's just like a dope. It's kind of like a trippy I don't know, like I said, they describe their music as kind of like psychedelic jazzy R and B kind of thing, and that's just kind of the wave I'm on. Just like I'm on. I still on my drum and bas shit, but I still also need I'd love to hear people play the actual instruments. And this is a great band. So again Poisoned by Cousin Koula. It's just a nice you know, wait to go into your weekend and watch your wallpaper milk here all right?
Speaker 1: Well the Daily is that, guys, a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcast from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple podcast wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning. We're back on Monday to tell you what was trending over the weekend. We'll also come back with the greatest hits of.
Speaker 2: The week, best of the week.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow so you can stick around check that out. Don't just like sit on the feed and wait for that. It'll be here tomorrow. Go do, go live your life, and go live your life and come back live your life.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Until then, have a great weekend everyone, Bye bye