Therésa: Sorry, I'm late. Please tell me you already started.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Thank god
HR: module four posthumous policies for respect in the workplace. Now that we've covered corporate consideration.
Therésa: Welcome back, hauntos Therésa here with another episode of haunting. Unfortunately, we've got some business to attend to today.
HR: Let's talk about the R word.
Therésa: To recap
HR: respect
Therésa: for those of you who missed our last little get together. I called HR on Len because he asked me to help him rezip his zip off cargo shorts.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: I shouldn't ever have to think about your knees. Anyway, They turn the tables on me because apparently it's inappropriate to interagate your coworker on their romantic life. And now we all have to complete a mandatory HR training. If we don't pass, the pod will be suspended until we do so. Moral of the story, HR is not your friend.
HR: Vesparn is a poultergeist who works in IT at the Squeaky Hinge Factory.
Therésa: Naturally,
HR: his coworker, Jessica, a Pulsating orb in field Sales, has given him the nickname the Sultan of Shriek. Is this an example of unlawful harassment? A no, as the nickname was not given with malicious intent. B Yes, the nickname appears to be rooted in offensive stereotypes. C yes because the dark forces are strong in Jessica and she's just bad news.
Therésa: A. Why would it be C Naomi? Are you deaf? She's a flashing orb. She's basically mist.
HR: The correct answer is B
Therésa: damn it.
HR: Module five reporting.
Therésa: Ugh,
HR: if there's something strange in your neighborhood, who are you gonna call? That's right, your company's in human resources team.
Therésa: Well, we suffer through this. Take a listen to Chris from Massachusetts, who, believe it or not, is having a worse go of things than we are.
STORY A: It had the dirt driveway, lots of potholes, lots of tall grass. It was one of those houses that If you had kids in the neighborhood throwing rocks at it and they told stories, Well, that was my house. While I was in the house, I just felt like I was being watched, like someone was over my shoulder or something was just There with me. It's an uneasy feeling. My name is Chris, and I had a demon in my house. I was in the market for a house. My great aunt said there was one in town. It's an old house. It was your great uncle's. He had passed away a few years before, so the house had been sitting for a couple of years. Even though I was a little bit concerned about it, I decided I'd go take a look. The house was originally built in nineteen twelve and it was in the family since the beginning. This big, dark, brown, two story house sat on The corner between two different side streets. At sunset, it looked like it was black. The grass was overgrown. We were talking two three foot tall. They had probably twenty three twenty four windows in it, the old big knee high vintage style ones. None of the windows opened, they were all rotted closed. The doors creaked, every Board creaked, and it looked like the roof was sagging in. You ever thought of a classic haunted house. That was it. I just talked to myself, well, it is kind of creepy and scary in some Parts, but I can make this work. I was really excited because it was my first house. I moved in right away. For some reason, all the kids in the neighborhood were afraid of it. I didn't understand why, at least until after I had moved in, and then I started to understand. From the first moment that I walked in, it always seemed as though there was a heaviness in the air. It was opressive. While I was in the house, I just felt like I was being watched all the time, and I never felt like I was alone. I always felt like someone was over my shoulder. It's an uneasy feeling, and I felt a lot of anxiety. And at this point I don't really believe in ghosts or spirits or anything like that. So I started gutting it. I started ripping walls down, I started ripping ceiling down, fixing floors, built a brand new kitchen. The air inside was always cold in that house. One time I was playing video games in the living room. It was the middle of summer, I had all the windows open and it was ninety degrees, but there was a cold spot right next to me, just getting colder and colder. It finally felt like I was going to start seeing my breath. I'm sitting there and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black shape. It looked like a person or something. I'm a skeptic. My backgrounds law enforcement, engineering. I take over them to the grain of salt, and I don't really put too much into it. But over the course of weeks, all kinds of events happened me. At the same time in this house. We had a guy's night, and we all hear this bang on the second floor. It sounds like heavy footsteps, like a guy with boots or something pacing. Boom, boom, boom. There shouldn't be anyone up there, because everyone's in the living room, and so we've run upstairs. And we don't see anything. That occurred a few more times by myself. One night, maybe two am, I was in my bedroom sleeping on the second floor. I heard these footsteps, one at a time on the stairs, some heavy kind of boom, these footsteps walked to the door, and something tries the doorknob. I jumped out of bed . I opened the door, and I look around the corner and nothing I'm thinking to myself, I'm just halucinating , and I started sleeping on a futon on the first floor. I thought maybe I have cabin fever. Maybe I needed companionship, and so I said, okay, fine, I'll get a dog. So I got a German shepherd puppy, and that dog grew in a few months, and this huge one hundred and twenty pound guard dog. She never would go to the second floor. She would always hang at the bottom of the staircase, as though she was Looking at something and she would growl at whatever it was she thought it was an enemy or something to protect me from. There was a very heavy, dense energy in the house. I was angry all the time. Whenever I could, I would try to work extra hours or I would go out with my friends because I didn't want to be there. The only time I would go home was to take care of the dog and to do some repairs in the house. I had no shades in the windows or anything like that, and so oftentimes the neighbors would see me working late into the night and I would just do my things. Well, that was until this one Friday I went to dinner and a movie. I left porchlight on and the front light on, locked up the house. I remember it because I was driving Home around midnight. As soon as I turned the corner into the neighborhood, that house sticks out. It's the very first house you see. The entire house. Every single light was lit up. All the lights, including the bathroom at the far end. I was genuinely concerned. I felt like someone had broken in or that it was on fire, and so I ran up to the door, unlocked it, and I ran Through the house looking for something. It turned out there was no one there. I was freaked out because I know I switched everything off. I started frantically calling my friends and family to see if one of them had stopped by. And oh, I turned all the lights on and I'm sorry, and all that I had finished calling, everyone. No had turned any lights on. And so I said, Okay, that's kind of strange. Maybe I was tired and I forgot. You know, I'm a skeptic. So the next day I went to go get my mail. My mailbox is directly across from my neighbor's mailbox, and she comes walking out and she gestures to me. She introduces herself. She's been in the neighborhood for over thirty years, and she said, were you at the house last night? I said no, I went to dinner and a movie. I asked her, did you see anything in the house? She says, all of the lights in the house, one by one, turned on, as though someone was walking through the rooms one at a time, turning the lights on. I wasn't sure if someone was breaking into your house, and so I kept watching. I could see them in the big windows that you had, walking from the back kitchen area and then went around downstairs, and then he went to the master bedroom. The light turned on, and then he went towards the window. And whoever it was didn't look like you, and she said, I tried to look for its face, and all it was was this tall, thin, black shape with two red eyes. I almost lost it right there. I needed someone to tell me that I was either crazy or that there was something going on, and that someone could do something about it. I was just looking for answers, really. I had posted my experiences on several different haunted forums and ghosts forums and all that. And this woman responds back to me and says, I can tell you a lot more about this. My name is Amy. I am a rescue medium. I told Chris, why don't you tell me what's going on in the home, and maybe I can give you a few answers to clarify things for you. She's very knowledgeable, which I was very impressed with. And I eventually got to the point where I trusted her enough and I invited her over. When I pull up to the property, this place looked like the traditional haunted home that you would usually see in a movie. I feel this foreboding presence, and so Amy's walking around looking in each one of the rooms. I get to the staircase and I feel something staring down at me the moment that I get there. I stop in my tracks, I look up the staircase, and standing at the top of the stairs, I saw a dark shadow. It has the silhouette of a man, but I didn't see the soul essence inside of it. It looked hollow. It didn't have a face. It just had red eyes staring back at me. I looked straight at it and I told it that it was leaving the property, and it yelled at me to get out of the house. I look at Chris and I'm like, this is not an earthbound spirit, this is not a fragmented soul. It's not a spirit from the other side. You have a demon in your house and it wants to feed off of you and anyone who comes into this property. Thankfully, Amy is a rescue medium and a rescue medium some of it actually releases negative entities, things like that. Over the course of a few weeks, she was able to help me by smudging the house. I was able to clear the house, and it was as though energetically the house was a completely different animal. The visitations got less and less. I didn't have as many cold spots. I didn't feel like I was being watched all the time. I do really believe that had there not been an intervention, I would have died in that house.
Therésa: Glowing red eyes hmmm, demon stereotype much?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Of course they do. Hey not to sound like a boomer, but does it count if my intentions are good and I'm just confused? Okay, relax, you're getting just as many of these questions wrong as I am.
HR: Which of the following is not a protected category? A celestial classification B cause of death C Allegiance to the Dark Forces or D sexual orientation
Therésa: C
HR: The correct answer is C allegiance to the Dark Forces.
Therésa: Finally, nice job, team, Maybe we can right this ship after all.
HR: It's time for the sudden death round.
Therésa: That's different. I guess the good news is we're technically already dead. While we fight to the finish with an HR training module. Meet Rose and Kayla, Who are dealing with a little haunted workplace harassment of their own.
STORY B: I'm terrified, what is happening? Why is there a person here? I'm the only person that's supposed to be up here. I walk in. I was confused because why she's staring at nothing. I said something like you okay, or what are you doing? She's just like, I think I just saw a ghost. My name's Rose. I'm Kayla and Rose is my friend. And this is the story of how I stumbled into a ghost sitting in the ghost chair. The Society for Castle Restoration exists to raise funds to restore a Gray Towers Castle, which is a National Historic Landmark in Glenside, Pennsylvania. We put on a few different events throughout the year based in the castle. We do a haunted house and we do a game of live action Clue. It's pretty late at night, getting pretty close to midnight. My club has just finished putting on an event in the castle and I'm up in the attic by myself sorting some stuff out. There is so much stuff up there, just debris lying around with props on either side. So before and after events, we have to sort through them and put them away. You know, I don't usually believe in haunted stuff, but it's really sketchy up there. You go up into a small circular room that has a spiral staircase that goes up to the attic. One of them is slightly broken. I think it's the third step. If you step too close to the edge of it, it's not actually attached to the step anymore, so it will like clatter a little bit. It freaks me out every time. When you get to the attic, there's this giant metal box full of wires blocking your pathway into the rest of the attic. I'm pretty sure it's either a mechanical box or like air conditioning. It's very industrial. To the right of this structure is a tiny, little narrow passageway you have to crawl your way through. You have to dodge over a lot of debris. It's basically just enough room to get your body through. I think there's a hole in the floor somewhere in the middle there. It's sort of a perilous journey to walk over there. I'm also really tall, I'm five ten, so it doesn't help in the attic. If you go right, there's this one giant room that spans the whole length of the building. It's probably about half a football field. It's a huge attic. There are beams on the ceiling and there are wires hanging off of some beams, so there's a lot of ducking involved, and There's like holes in the floor. It's above a room with a vaulted ceiling, so I always feel like I'm gonna die, And because the lights don't turn on, you usually can't see the back. There's also like the standard creaky old attic noises. It's very spooky. You can always hear voices up there. It's sort of like when you can hear talking that's like really far away and you can't quite make out what it is and it's really distant, but you can still like hear it in the background. It's really weird. Every time we're in the attic, it's tradition that you have to walk over and look at the ghost chair. The ghost chair is this metal folding chair in this weird room in the attic if you can call it a room, it's more like the space. It's kind of like a mini tradition like the first time I was taken up in the attic, we walked over and looked at the chair, and then we went on with our day. I don't like doing it because it's kind of creepy, but I'm not really doing anything at the moment, so I decide it's time to go look at the ghost chair, as we do when we're in the attic by ourselves. I think, just because that's one of the spaces that's had a lot of encounters, and I think in general it's just a creepy spot. So it's been nicknamed the ghost Chair. The room that the ghost chair is in is like halfway back. You have to swing a right and continue walking through darkness. With the lights behind you. You can see right and feet ahead of you. And dead center in the middle of the room is a folding metal chair. It's facing the door but at an angle, and there's this really strange spotlight sort of thing that's always shining directly down on it. I'm figuring, you know, I'll just look at it and then turn around and go back, and by then someone will be up here with more stuff that we can sort. You know, it's just going to be the ghost chair. It's always just the chair and the spotlight looking weird. As I glance into the room, I see this figure sitting on the ghost chair. I just sort of stand there for a moment, staring at it. It's not moving at all, It's just sitting there. I'm like terrified, what is happening? Why is there a person here? At that point, I turned right around and walk right back to where I was before. What did I just see? What's happening? Did I actually see a ghost? I just sort of stare at the wall for a minute, trying to rationalize what had just happened. I was very confused. Why is it now that a ghost has suddenly decided to show up? And why is it when I'm alone? At that point, my friend Kayla walked in with some other props and was like, why are you staring at the wall? What happened? Weren't you supposed to be sorting things when I first get up there, Rose is out of it. She didn't really say anything to me. I asked her what she was doing because she was kind of blankly staring. I was there for a while trying to figure out what was happening. It takes her a second and then she kind of is like, I think I just saw a ghost. I kind of like shrug, and I'm like, okay are you pulling a practical joke on me? I tell her, I swear I just saw someone sitting in the ghost chair. Please go back over there with me so we can make sure I'm not going insane. I think she. Wanted to check it out again to see if it was a person or not. You make the journey back over to the ghost Chair and look in, but there is nothing there. It's just the chair, ominously sitting in the middle of the room. No ghost at all. She's like, okay, sure, sure there was someone sitting in the ghost chair Rose. I swear I saw a sort of dark figure sitting on the chair, and I was very freaked out. She was always skeptical of this kind of stuff. She was just like, if they exist, okay, I'm not sure about that, but I don't think they're real type deal. And then she had an experience. It didn't really make any sense to her or me. There's no way for someone to get up in the attic other than the way I came, so I would have seen someone or something. She's usually the level headed one based on the fact that she Doesn't believe in that stuff, and after seeing how Shaken up she was, I knew she had seen a ghost, and I'm known to make jokes about things. I said something like, welcome to the club, and you just had a ghost encounter. She was proud. I haven't gone to look at the ghost chair by myself, since I'm too freaked out to do it. I think i would consider going back, but not in the middle of the night.
Therésa: Good news everyone, After many good faith attempts, we finally passed our sensitivity training and our workplace has been declared non toxic. Take that HR overlords. (GROWL) Oops, didn't realize they could hear me.
HR: Congratulations you passed the course. But remember, spectral sensitivity is an after lifelong endeavor. Respecting your fellow co workers is of the utmost importance because many of you will be with them forever.
Therésa: Well that's our episode for today. Tune in next time for more twisted tales from the Great Beyond, and remember, if you have a scare to share or want to help hold us accountable for keeping Purgatory a safe space, email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com. HR Services and spectral sensitivity training by the Scared Not Scarred Initiative. Everyone deserves to feel safe and respected at work. If you're being unfairly targeted on the job, Honestly, I would not cry about it to HR unless you want to lose four hours of your life to some bullshit PowerPoint,
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Remember you are not alone. Reach out to a trusted coworker or superior for support and explore your options with the Scared Not Scarred Initiative. Together we can build a better purgatory for everyone.
Credits: If you have a Haunting story to share, please email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com . Haunting is a production of Glass Podcast partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting was created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus. It is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as her character Therésa. Haunting is directed by Aleah Welsh and produced by Trey Morgan. It is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, Ben Fetterman, and Kristin Melchiorre. Additional production support by Todd Ganz, additional voice acting by Trey Morgan as the character producer Len Walker. Editing and sound designed by Matt Delvecchio with additional editing by Nico Arouca. mixed and mastered by Dave Saia. Operations, and production support by Kristin Melchiorre. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macaulay of Noiser. Music Library provided by Mibe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. Follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcast or by visiting glasspodcast.com. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.