Speaker 1: Take personal life with the rolling game Fuelsman.
Speaker 2: This week's episode feels super important for a number of reasons, but I'm going to share some stats here to really drive that point home.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: There were nearly twenty million new cancer cases and nine point seven million cancer deaths worldwide. By twenty forty, the number of new cancer cases per year is expected to rise.
Speaker 3: To twenty nine point nine million.
Speaker 2: Approximately forty point five percent of men and women will be diagnosed with cancer at some point during their lifetime. These stats and more this is why I'm doing an entire episode on cancer, and I plan to have more episodes on the topic. Almost everybody knows somebody who's been impacted by this disease. This week, I'm bringing on a good friend of mine named Torri. She's going to share her experien parents with being diagnosed with cancer at age twenty five. Then I'm bringing on Simone Jasandi, who's an author and an expert in the field of natural health and holistic cancer therapies. She'll share lots of interesting things about health and wellness, but more than that, what we can be doing to eliminate the possibility of environmental cancers in our own lives. So buckle up, friends, here we go. You know, the funny thing about me doing this podcast is I have enlisted pretty much all of my friends to come on just about every episode, and this week is no different. I'm bringing on one of my friends from college, Tory. Tory, how are you feeling right now?
Speaker 4: I'm feeling better. I'm for getting suttled, ready to go. I'm excited to talk to you. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did just puang hui whatever that word is your entire apartment to get this to look and You're.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Definitely on a podcast where I canna know. This is my first time. How to make sure the vibe was right? Yesthetic it is?
Speaker 3: We are learning again.
Speaker 2: I am been listening on my friends because the whole purpose of this podcast is to share stories of everyday people, and this is one of them that is inspiring and also difficult in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: So I have brought Tory on to share her story.
Speaker 2: As she kind of went into adulthood, Tory got diagnosed with cancer. So Toy, I'm gonna let you take this away and kind of share your cancer story and then we'll kind of get into more other things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds great. No, Like, first of all, it's really humbling to be here, and I'm honored to be asked. I have kind of always thought that my journey was just a little under the radar, which is how I liked it. I want to just get through it, power on, move on to the next thing. It was really kind of in a transition period for me too. So I was diagnosed when I was twenty five.
Speaker 5: Gonnis.
Speaker 4: Now you're gonna tell me on the the stats here, but I took a couple extra laps in college, We'll just say that. So I was still kind of in that phase than moving into finding a career, and at that point, like had planned on doing you know, like education, other things that had to be rerouted because you know, cancer obviously takes a toll on your body physically, and of course it's it's been time consuming.
Speaker 5: It's almost like its own job itself.
Speaker 4: But No, I was diagnosed with non patchin lymphoma, and yeah, it was it was a wild ride.
Speaker 5: It was really shocking.
Speaker 4: At that time, I was still living in Manhattan, and looking back now you can kind of like you start to see more like symptoms and you're like, okay, was that part of this. I do think I was sick for a few months before actually getting the diagnosis.
Speaker 5: Lymphoma is a blood cancer.
Speaker 4: And I'm not gonna lie, I'm not gonna I don't know a ton about honestly, the health facts about everything. So it's really more of like a lifestyle journey for me and how it changed me in that aspect. But yeah, I mean, that's that's kind of where it started.
Speaker 2: And looking back on a part that was really hard for you and your life and something that you never saw coming.
Speaker 3: So how did you find out that this happened?
Speaker 2: Like what were the signs that led you to be like, Okay, I think I need to go see a doctor.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So at that point, like I said, I was going to school for education and I had taken on a full time role and I just recognized I was diagnosed in June, and that whole entire semester, I was exhausted and I'm normally a really upbeat person.
Speaker 5: And to be fair, at that time too, I was managing two jobs.
Speaker 4: I was working at a bar, I was working at Tanners in Manhattan, and I was closing that down, and that's like really late nights and then getting up to go to a school, which is you know, early mornings. And I just felt myself just like dragging constantly and looked at like things like my diet and drinking water and of course like activity, and you know, I could have done better in all those areas. So I think I kept telling myself, this is a me problem. It wasn't in general, but I ended up really getting sick in March, dealing with just like physical pain, not really being able to like heal fully.
Speaker 5: I had a pretty bad cough, which I chalked.
Speaker 4: It up to having you know what, I think at that point, I was seeing like struck throat or something like that, and my lymph notes were just completely swollen. And at one point, you know, my roommate and best friend was asking me, like what is going on here? And that's just kind of what led to me realizing like, okay, I should probably go get this checked out. Not to mention kind of the ball drop here, my my logical mom died from So she died from non hotchkins, and I actually had hopkins. I think I misspoke earlier, But there is two different blood cancers. Again, I'm not the one to go on web md and figure out everything about my cancer. It really wasn't my style. I just did what the doctors told me. But my mom did pass from cancer in nineteen ninety nine, so same blood cancer, but kind of different styles.
Speaker 5: Not Hopkins is a lot less curable even even to date.
Speaker 4: Really, my cancer is one of the most curable cancers, and actually the age range that I got it is the most common, so it was just really interesting kind of to learn those And they also say it is more of an environmental disease versus you know what you like, hereditary or genetic. A lot of studies are now showing that it does have hereditary tendencies. A lot of doctors believe it is just fully hereditary, and it runs.
Speaker 5: On my side of the family.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, my grandpa, biological grandpa, also was diagnosed while I was going through treatment with non Hodgkins, and it makes sense because they were farmers, so I.
Speaker 5: Think a lot of it's done from that.
Speaker 4: But long winded answer to your question, but yeah, that's kind of how it all started and kind of where it came from, and having that family history is kind of also what tempted me to go see a doctor.
Speaker 2: So when you got the diagnosis and they're like, you have this, I'm going to go kind of two different things here, But because you did just talk about your biological mom and grandpa, what was going through your head? Were you like, oh, my gosh, I know this happened with them, and then you found out about your grandpa, Like, what were those experiences like when you know it's part of your family.
Speaker 3: What was your kind of first feelings as this started to happen.
Speaker 4: I have, unfortunately, and I will say unfortunately, blocked a lot of that part of my life. And it wasn't just cancer, so a lot of that with with it. The initial feeling, I mean, it was fair for sure, and I just remember the most fearful thing was not being able to carry on life and like really start my life at that point, I really haven't been in love.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and I don't want you to cry unless you feel comfortable.
Speaker 5: Honestly said I was going to be totally fine.
Speaker 2: So I also know that this was such an incredibly difficult time in your life, and emotions are normal for that and what you're experiencing even talking about it again, this is the reason I wanted to talk about this topic, not because it's easy, not because I want to put anybody through those emotions, but because.
Speaker 3: It happens so often.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows somebody that has been diagnosed or died from cancer, and it's horrible. There's one enemy I think we all have. It's cancer. So you showing those emotions is very real and very normal and very genuine. So please know that I have also personally cried on this podcast many times, so you're clear. But that also just shows how raw and how hard that was for you, especially at that age in your life. So going from finding out the diagnosis, how long were you going through cancer for and chemo and treatment and everything.
Speaker 4: While my cancer is like extremely cariable, I think in the eighty percent range, there is that other percent where you can relapse, and that did happen to me, and there was about a year lapse in there. Truth be told, I don't ever think I was fully in remission. You know, a lot of my family and my doctors kind of feel the same way. It was a very very minimal spot in my chest and what they call it, you're like your thomis and a lot of women like have it from just growing up and having like extra brush rest issue. So it was this little piece that wasn't necessarily worth a full biopsy because the last time they they would have to biopsy that area, you have to like deflate a lung and it's just a lot more invasive, and so at that point, I mean, we had all decided that it wasn't worth it. If it grew in like certain amounts, you know, we would address that then. So technically I was like in remission for a year, but I was diagnosed in like two of the nineteen and I was completely cancer free by February of twenty twenty two. So long duration there, but some oft times for sure. But yeah, that's kind of what that looks like.
Speaker 2: You know what everybody talks about going through chemo, who've gone through it, and it's just this very emotionally and physically tasking on your body. What was the chemo process like for you, Like, can you speak to some of that, because I think first person experience is a lot different than me seeing it and talking about it.
Speaker 5: Honestly, we're gonna feel like you were there through some of it.
Speaker 4: I Mean you always were checking in on me, so and that that's what got me through everything, is my friends. I mean, that support system was like no other. And I hope we get to get into that a little bit later because it seriously changed my life. But as far as like the treatment goes, I was very, very lucky the first time around. Physically I felt fine. I was still fairly active. Yeah, I would say like a couple of days after the infusion where you actually go to the doctor's office, you sit in that chair, and you get those medications injected into you. A couple of days after that, that's when it would set it about twenty four to forty eight hours. And I've always struggled with like acid reflux and sensitive stomach issues, so that's what I was most nervous about going into treatment, like how sick.
Speaker 5: It would make me.
Speaker 4: But I really really was physically lucky. The worst part of that was losing my hair, and I know, yeah, that's probably really a part you know about and I feel so silly when I get so upset about that, But that still to this day is like just was the most frustrating thing. I just you know, it just it made my confidence go down, and looking back at so silly to like feel that way, but it's something that to me, I always grew up with it being kind of one of my best features, something that was like complimented. And like I said, I hadn't been in love at that point, so I was just like, oh my god. You know, it was like the end of the world. But overall, you know, that was six months of treatment, starting in like July or August, I think after I'd found out in June of twenty nineteen, so I finished up that winter, and it was right before COVID, so that was its own transition in itself being immunocompromised.
Speaker 5: As you can imagine, I had moved.
Speaker 4: Back with my parents when I found out when I was diagnosed in Manhattan. Living in Manhattan still having my dub been through this, KU was like kind of the best place to go. So it was time to pick up my bags, move home, and just take my time to get healthy. And then, like I said, it was about a year until we did another biopsy of that chess peace finally and started that treatment, and that that was a whole different situation. I ended up undergoing a stem cell transplant WOW, otherwise known as like a bone marrow transplant. I did an autologous which it was my own cells, so it's not like I was, you know, donated cells or anything like that. But I mean, that is an amazing gesture if you have the opportunity to do it.
Speaker 5: I mean, it can really really help.
Speaker 4: It gave my mom several more years, so it's still just the whole process is really really really interesting to learn about.
Speaker 5: But that was tough.
Speaker 4: It was a really intense chemo seven days straight hours at a time. That was the most physically sick I felt in after a sentense of transplant. You're basically down to zero and blinking on the word but like all of your levels, like you're tassium, all these things, like it's basically at zero, so you have to self isolate for ninety days. You do have a caretaker, so I was at home. My mom was really helping me take care.
Speaker 5: At that point.
Speaker 4: I moved in and even was sharing a bathroom with my sister, and we weren't able to do that during this time, so she had to go use a different restroom. Just because of how important it is to like not get sick and get those Germans. If you do get a fever over like one hundred and one degrees you're admitted to the hospital. So that happened to me twice. And during that COVID year was very very lonesome. Yeah, but yeah, that was the most physically ill. I felt just a lot on my body, went weeks without eating. Was the smallest I ever have been. Yeah, it was tough.
Speaker 5: So I got a little bit of both worlds, if you will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to levent variations of that.
Speaker 2: And I do remember I remember seeing you after you had gone in this isolation period or talking to I can't remember which one it was, because again, it was COVID times and that feels like a black hole in itself. I do remember really specifically talking to you after this year, like I'm so happy that this is over. You were like, I can't imagine having gone through one of the hardest things that you had just gone through, and then you had to be isolated on top of it. Now, I'm really glad that you had your mom to be this person and caregiver for you in that situation, and I imagine that that was probably so helpful to have such a close piece of your life that was the one that you could at least interact with that time period for both of you, guys, What was that like in that isolation period? What were things that you were trying to do? What was happening in those ninety days.
Speaker 4: Being told you have cancer and uprooting your life in Manhattan, working at a bar, in a school and just doing my thing, and immediately having to go back and like do this real adult like live shit, Sorry.
Speaker 3: You can cuss. It's okay.
Speaker 2: You deserve every cuss word that you would like to say, so just say heaven no.
Speaker 4: So it was tough at times. You know, I was angry.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was in an angry spot, and I was therefore after I mean, it wasn't like you know, boom, I'm done with my one hundred ninety days whatever, and you know all as well. While I physically felt pretty good, there was still a lot of physically taxing things. I mean, after you essentially like lay in a bed for ninety days. And I think that's it was more of like a people I can think really relate to it. Because of the COVID timing, we were all forced kind of be close together. You probably fought, you know with the people that you're the closest with and so it was it was tough on a relationship. It was also in a sense like you know, I went through like some shame and embarrassment. I mean when you're you know, that's sick, Like there's a lot of things you just can't control. Like I would just I felt sick often and gets uncomfortable, but she would have to help me basically like do my laundry. I could, you know, really couldn't make it up and down the stairs without just like being like exhausted. And that just takes a toll on a relationship. But we I couldn't have done it without her. I mean she drove me to every doctor's appointment. I had to go daily during those times, and I just I really can't imagine it being anybody else next to me and helping me through that because she's just so caring and so nurturing, and yeah, if you've had the chance to meet her, like it's just the truth.
Speaker 5: So I'm very very fortunate to have had that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you also had mentioned at one point you were talking about the support system that you had not just with her, but also friends and family and people checking in on you. People feel like maybe when they message people especially as they're going through these things, You're like, Oh, I feel really bad. I don't want to make them talk about it, or I don't want to reach out to them.
Speaker 3: I don't want to bother them.
Speaker 2: But I feel like from the other side, that's a very helpful thing to do.
Speaker 3: Am I wrong or right in that.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent right?
Speaker 4: I mean it was truly looking back, I mean just being able to be that open with And I consider myself like a really just friendly person, Like I have a really like large, close knit group of friends and I never really felt I don't know, out of place like going to them. I felt more comfortable going to my friends, really honestly than my family at some points. And I think it's because I almost felt like a burden to my family and that's not the vibe they were giving at all. But I don't even know how to put it into words. The support I had barely started a job that you know, one of our best friends, Diane, had actually set me up with, and it was really something I've excited about because I had already gone through the cancer thing. I thought I was kind of done with it, and I start this job and then three months into it, you know, I find out I'm sick again and I'm like, oh my gosh, like what am I going to do? And at this point, I'm like, I know, I have to take three months off because I have to self isolate. And the support that I received, even from strangers, it was just life changing. Like I said, I'm just at a loss for words still to this day because it. I mean, they did so much for me after knowing me for three months. My boss set up a go fund me for me. It literally saved my life. I would probably still be in a lot of medical debt. I mean, it is never ending. And when you do transplants like this, I mean I have to still continue to go get stands, and I mean those things are aren't cheap as a person with a career, let alone a person who just quit their bartending job.
Speaker 5: And moved to Kansas City and you know, went through all that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and I think that support system matters. I cannot imagine somebody going through something like that and their whole life changing and they don't have the support to do so.
Speaker 3: And I love that you had that. I love that it was a.
Speaker 2: Good experience, as the situation wasn't. I'm happy that that was the case for you. And I do imagine that the medical debt that's taken on with a serious illness is also the emotional toll that that takes on you. As that's happening, you're like sitting here, You're like, Okay, I have to fight for my life. I also have to survive, so I need to figure out my career. And oh also I have to pay all of these bills. That's not anything one human being should ever have to go through. Life is already hard, and then you throw that into the mix. I couldn't personally imagine. And that's why your story is so important, and sharing and talking about these things is important because you only see people going through things and you feel for them and you hurt for them.
Speaker 3: But to know what actually all goes into that and that time.
Speaker 2: And my heart just like it was always hurting for you while that was all happening, but it could never have hurt enough.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that makes any sense.
Speaker 4: No, one hundred percent. I even remember I got to come visit. I've visited here in Nashville an off time. I think I was wearing a wig at that point, but you were.
Speaker 3: You had your wigs.
Speaker 5: I have lots of whig friends and they're still around.
Speaker 3: To say, do you still have them? Like there's some more hanging out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saved them, So I mean, I think I got rid of like one, but I ended up getting all the colored wigs and it was, you know, a fun time. But no, I mean, to echo what you said, there's so many like amazing relationships that came out of it. So that's why you know earlier I say like, unfortunately I blocked a lot of like I don't have a ton of memories from that time, but because I do think it was just subconsciously blocked out. But the relationships that came out of it, I have.
Speaker 2: To remember, like you were, you were trying to survive, right, you were literally your body was trying to survive a really hard thing. So blocking out I don't feel like that's not unnormal, you know what I mean. I feel like that's pretty normal for what you were experiencing.
Speaker 4: I think I chalk it up because truly, I mean, if you've heard the term pregnancy brain, like chemo brain.
Speaker 5: Is also a thing, and it is. I mean, it is so true. I still feel like it has its lasting effects today.
Speaker 4: But going back to the financial aspect of it too, I mean that really was a huge toll because at that time too, I was I was turning twenty six, I was getting kicked off my parents' insurance, and there was like a lot at stake there, And so that go fundy when I say it, like really really saved my life, like it truly did.
Speaker 5: And I'm just so fortunate and grateful.
Speaker 4: For like people who go out of their way to do things to support people like that, and I really always try to pay it back or pay it forward. And even on top of that, like, you know, a topic I love to shed light on is I was approached before my first time doing treatment saying, you know, it might be a good idea for you to consider, like saving your eggs, and I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't consider it at that time.
Speaker 4: I didn't go through with the process at that time because I really weigh out the risks and that goes into the money. And although I'm being told by a medical profession that this is something I should consider, it is not considered medically necessary and it was not covered by insurance. Having cancer, I was fortunate enough to be given the medication for free that is just a cancer thing. So I can only imagine women who are like going through autoimmune diseases and things like that, who don't even get a single discount on any of that process.
Speaker 5: And it is not.
Speaker 4: Cheap, you know, And that I ended up going through it the second time because the severity of the treatment was so much more And I'm still paying that for my eggs to be frozen, and I'm so grateful I did that process. It was really really enlightening and just empowering as a woman, and I'm grateful to have those eggs to fall back on being I just turned thirty this year, and I don't know what that fate looks like for me based on what I've been through health wise. So that is something that was like also not only like mentally exhausting to think through at that time when you're not in a relationship, you haven't really experienced your first love, you're not even sure if you want to have kids. But that was just, you know, it's just like another thing that I think people don't realize until you're really in it, how much more there.
Speaker 3: Is as just like a human being who's not experiencing it.
Speaker 2: That's a tough conversation, A tough call to make and to spend money in that direction of like, do I finally make this decision? And as you're going through things, you're like, oh wait, I also have to think about my future five years from now.
Speaker 3: I'm not even sure what's happening right now.
Speaker 2: I commend you also, Tori, because you are such a beautiful soul. You always have been before all of this and after all of this, but also through all of this, like you stayed who you were. You did not let the things that were happening to you truly make you hard and hate the world than you could have. You could have chosen that, and I don't think anybody would have blamed you, but you chose not to. And I think that's a testament to who you are as a human being and your family and your friends and the people you surround yourself with.
Speaker 3: But also I just hope you know that at.
Speaker 4: The end of the day, thank you, I mean not recognition, And it really means a lot, because, like I said in the beginning, I feel like my journey went a little under the radar. Not again, like I had so much support and so many people reaching out to me, but for me. I just wanted to get it done and get it over with. So to just to even be asked to do this and like find myself making some sort of like an impact or my journey made an impact, you know, makes it worth it.
Speaker 5: So hearing that is I mean, it is really like fulfilling.
Speaker 3: So thank you, of course you are.
Speaker 2: And I don't say that just to tell you because you're my friend, Like I genuinely mean that.
Speaker 3: I think you're You've always been a great person.
Speaker 2: But for anybody to go through something, especially the things that you were going through and still choose hope, enjoy and love and positivity and now you have found potentially the love of your life, I think it's just really cool. And I think it's a testament to how strong we are when we don't even know it.
Speaker 3: And that was you. You had the strength all along.
Speaker 2: It just the world was testing you on a lot of different fronts and you had to keep choosing it over and over and over again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's weird, like thinking about it all and time, I haven't sat down and really like talked about it like this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know ever.
Speaker 3: Probably no, you again, you're like, okay, that part of my life is over. We're going to move forward.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, hey, Tori, you want to you want to talk about a really hard time.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, but I love you and you deserve to talk about it.
Speaker 4: With that being said, so there's a quote that I found pretty early on in my journey, and I so a lot of how I tried to pass the time was I love like calligraphy, I love coloring. I don't know, I'm just kind of into that that sort of stuff. So I really took that on, you know. Unfortunately, I will say a long term side effect I've gotten from treatment is I have a really really bad tremor and I'm left handed, and it's it's it's when your muscles are like activated. And I haven't been able to really write or like do as much coloring. And I wasn't able to when I was really deep in the medicine then. But I brought this book out. I don't know if you guys and see it, but I wrote like some quotes in here, like one of my favorites that I just recently shared with a friend of mine. She just recently got married this year, and her fiance essentially like suffered a stroke and simultaneously has found out that there is like heart conditions involved in things like this, and it's been really tough to like see her go through this.
Speaker 5: And we've been you know, chatting, and she messaged me back.
Speaker 4: I don't have to come off like conceded or anything, but she messaged me back and she was like that message you sent me was like one of the best I've received, Like, thank you so much. And I can't remember exactly what I said. It's just like, you know, keep your head down, like get through things and lean on your.
Speaker 5: People and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: But I'll read the quote and it's it's one day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you're going through right now, and it will become a part of someone else's survival.
Speaker 1: Guy.
Speaker 4: And I just love that because it stuck to me back then because I was sitting next to folks who had been going through treatment for months or I mean a couple even years, and you know, I met really great people out of that experience and what they were able to share with me like helped me get through that process.
Speaker 5: So I can only.
Speaker 4: Hope that, like going forward, when people are going through these tough times that like the words and advice that I can offer, can it can help in just like some little way because I was given like so much help and love and kindness and that's just like one thing that took away from me. And it's becoming really relevant in the last like several weeks with telling her that, and now I'm being asked to, like, you know, talk to you, and it just it just like comes full circle.
Speaker 3: I guess you are.
Speaker 2: You are making a difference and sharing your story will help people. It's also going to help people who are part of somebody else's journey, right, And then like I heard this and this may be what you're feeling.
Speaker 3: Maybe this episode will help you.
Speaker 2: What is the book that you just read that out of just so people you can hold it up.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's just like a journal.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you have like a whole journal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you can see it had its moments. But I this is more for my first journey. It's kind of cool to I have a couple examples, but I did pictures of every friend that came and visited me.
Speaker 5: Well that was before I cut my hair.
Speaker 2: But do you feel like that helped you, Like really go through your emotions or something more for you after the fact.
Speaker 4: I think I'm a.
Speaker 5: Little bit of both. I like I said, I kind of like doing that like stuff.
Speaker 4: And well, what really started it is my friend that I had worked with at the school actually, who had witnessed how exhausted I was, and all of my coworkers were like, okay, like this is like crazy, like it makes sense. She ended up sending me every single treatment, I would get like a little card in the mail, and they had just had like different inspiring quotes and stuff, and that's what really urged me to start. So they're like on most of these pages and I have so many of them, and I kind of just coincided the quotes with like a picture from that day, maybe the conversation that me and my friend had while I was getting treatment. I don't know that's what really kind of jump started it. But I just thought it was so cute, like getting these little cards just I.
Speaker 5: Don't know that just my vibe, I guess.
Speaker 3: But no, I think that's got me through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, like, I think that's something so easy that people are able to do for others that are going through this like, this is why we talk about these things. I would have never known cards like that one existed to this you know capacity, and too that it would be helpful to somebody. So again, like, you are sharing a story that's impactful, that matters, and it's your story and it's a story of survival and hope and you've done wonders with it.
Speaker 3: So I hope you continue to feel that way. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I was like looking up to see if the brand name was on there, but it's not. It's okay, so.
Speaker 2: It's probably on Etsy somewhere.
Speaker 5: It's nice, like reminiscing on those kinds of things.
Speaker 4: I even, like made really good friends with my nurse Carlene and we still talk to this day.
Speaker 5: She's amazing. And I was.
Speaker 4: Very ready to move out of my parents' house after treatment, as you can imagine, and I would get, you know, I would take every chance I could get to tell Carlen that, And so I was super excited to tell Carleen when I got my lease for my first apartment to live in on my own, and I was like, there's this cute patio and I can't wait.
Speaker 5: To get it done.
Speaker 4: And she called me one day out of the blue right before Christmas and was like, are you are you home? I'm like, oh my gosh, yes, you know, I'm like starting to clean everything. She said, no, no, no, you can just come downstairs. And I go down stairs and her and her husband had backed up their pickup truck and he had built me a beautiful bench with a side table that's on my on my deck, you know, right now.
Speaker 5: And it was literally one of the most.
Speaker 4: Thoughtful gifts I've ever received in my entire life. And it's just those are the things that I carry with me now, and those are the things, Like I said, so many good relationships came out of it.
Speaker 5: But I like to share that story too, So thanks for letting me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because nurses and doctors they do incredible work, and you know, especially nurses don't get the credit that they deserve. And I love that you got to have that relationship and have one that is still meaningful today and again.
Speaker 3: A great reminder of your strength.
Speaker 2: I mean I would look at that bench and see every time like, okay I did that, like there was a reason that this happened so amazing. I do want to end on good no, if you will, but if there's something you could tell anybody, whether it's somebody going through cancer, somebody who's supporting somebody going through cancer, what is something that you like wish everybody would know or they would.
Speaker 5: Hear just having an understanding that in the end.
Speaker 4: That's tough to say because not everyone like makes it through it. But I just feel like being present and being able to like fully listen and just kind of accept for where people are at in the process is the most important. And I think what my friends and family did so well with is not you know, like it's gonna be okay. Because I did have a very cureable cancer. I had a light at the end of the tunnel that I was really sure I was going to get to. And I think just recognizing that while yes, i'll you know, be there, I'm still here right now. So I think just you know, giving grace and where people are at in that process is probably the most important.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's a really good one, And I think that's a good thing for people to remember, because I think it's quick to tell people be like, you're gonna be fine, It's gonna be okay. We naturally want to do that because of course, you don't want to be like, oh, you're not gonna be okay, But it is also kind of like a band aid versus just being like, hey, I'm here for you whatever you need. I think that's something somebody would rather hear more than you're gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I hate like I'm never one to you know, because I get in situations I'm like, what, I don't know what to say to make this better.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you get lucky and you do say the right thing, and sometimes it's just not what they're looking to hear. But I mean, just yeah, being like your genuine self, like you said, you know, I'm here.
Speaker 5: I'm here to listen to you. Like, It's just it goes a long way.
Speaker 3: Well, Tory, thank you for sharing your story.
Speaker 2: Thank you for opening up about something that is very difficult and a very hard time of your life.
Speaker 3: But I do think it matters. I think your story is important to hear, So thank you for sharing it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Morgan.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate you letting me on. This is so exciting.
Speaker 3: I'm joined right now by Simone Jisandi.
Speaker 2: She's a published author and focus is on the education of holistic cancer therapies and disease reversal and just natural health. And I'm so excited to welcome you on Simone. How are you Morgan? Thank you so much for having me on. I'm fantastic and I really can't wait for our conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is going to.
Speaker 2: Be really exciting that you know, I've in the last several years of my life have really been focused on natural health and holistic approaches. I think once we know better, we do better in all facets of our life. And I think a lot of people are learning about this, and a big focus is going to be talking about holistic cancer therapies. But I want to start this with tell me how and why you got into this line of work.
Speaker 1: Well, when it comes to holistic health overall, I myself had my own I would call it medical event and health scare back in twenty eleven I had a stroke. But my journey goes back much further. I got into health overall. So back in two thousand and seven, I wanted to teach people how to eat right. I was doing fitness shows. I really knew how to get the body composition down. And then of course the stroke came, which was in twenty eleven, and Shortly thereafter, my father actually was diagnosed with his first cat he had two. Luckily he's doing amazing and thriving. So it kind of took me on this journey and I had to expand on everything that I had learned from the initial journey that I started with nutrition. I wanted to see what more is there out there in the realm of health that we could help others or ourselves to actually thrive, not just be healthy, but actually thrive. So that's been the in a nutshell, that's been the journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so tell me when you say you found some different ways to kind of help ourselves and help others, especially when it comes to our diet, what are some of those things that you found.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to nutrition, I mean, the epicenter of health is really our gut. And I know that a lot of people out there speak of gut health, and it's actually so true. And if you look even in the way that we are actually when we are in utero, so during our developm, it's actually the digestive system that is first to develop.
Speaker 3: So the digestive.
Speaker 1: System, and as we know, there are many neurotransmitters that are actually made in the gut. So even our mental health depends so much on our digestive system and therefore what we put in the body, which are the raw elements and the raw materials that the body uses to put together tissues and organs and even organ systems and neurotransmitters and enzymes and hormones. That all comes from food, and that all comes from the nutrients that we put in the body. So it's so so important. When we are deficient and the nutrients necessary, then we suffer. And without those nutrients there can be no health. And this has been proven time and time again. So there's a lot of scientific backup to these claims, and a lot of the doctors in the holistic health space, and actually in large part even in the allopathic doctors do recognize that we do have to eat in line with the end results that we want for our health, especially in the space of diabetes. Everybody knows that you know, what we put in our mouth, especially when it comes to our blood sugar levels, in large part determines whether that disease type two diabetes is going to come or not, and very easily reversible if we actually change the diet. So the diet is one of the foundational things to health, especially because while we eat every day, so what we put in our body will show up in the body and on the body. So absolutely nutrition is that important.
Speaker 2: So and when you look at nutrition, obviously, I never I've never believed in this one size you know, fits all for different people. But I am curious when it comes to diet and nutrition, is there proven specific things that we should all be consuming or is it really based on genetics and the things that are in your body that you have to kind of cater your nutrition style too.
Speaker 1: I think in large part there are very large overarching factors that do apply to us all. So we do all have to have certain components and certain nutrients in the body. We definitely need minerals, so we need a micronutrients. We also need a macronutrients, So a large part everybody needs those components as part of their diet. But then when we kind of drill down further, we have to optimize for what we are looking to optimize for. So for a pregnant woman, she has to optimize, she has to eat to optimize for the pregnancy and for the development of the baby. If you're looking to do a fitness competition, or if you want to do anything in the health in the sports arena, you want to make sure you optimize for that. So you want to eat in line with what you want the end result to be, your desired outcome. If you want to reverse disease, then you have to optimize for that. If you want to eliminate cancer, you have to eat to optimize for that. And it's very much intertwined with the lifestyle as well. As we know, sleep plays an important and absolutely huge role as well as connecting to nature, having access to fresh air, having access to sunlight. The body converts that to vitamin D, which is in fact actually a hormone, So all of these factors actually play together so overarchingly, Yes, we do have many rules that apply to us all, but then when we drill down further, we have to optimize for our desired outcome wherever we are on our journey.
Speaker 2: So let's start with the overarching What are those kind of things that we all need and we should all be, you know, because if somebody's listening to this and they want to start and they want to do better, what are these first steps, especially when it comes to the diet that they can start adding, they should start changing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you need access to the macronutrients which are facts. So clean fats. We're not talking about trans fats, none of the stuff that comes from the deep fried stuff that we see in fast food restaurants, but definitely clean fats that we get from things like avocados and nuts. We also need clean proteins, so if you are a meat eater, absolutely make sure that it's organic and as clean as possible from fish as well as of course carbohydrates. And that's actually very tricky because a lot of people believe that you have to consume bread and you have to consume pastas and cereals, and in fact, a lot of the carbohydrates that we get actually come from vegetables, and a lot of the vegetables provide us not only with the carbohydrate content, but also with the fiber that we need so that we can actually be able to go to the bathroom and not have any of those digestive issues that play a role as well as even fiber is very important for diabetes, very very important to be able to keep the blood sugar leveled. So those are the overarching ones. Now, So those are the macronutrients. Now the micronutrients so micro meaning the smaller ones would be the vitamins and minerals. A lot of people are very deficient and a lot of the minerals that we need typically found in water when the water comes from a good, clean source. Magnesium is one of the most important nutrients that we have in almost everybody's deficient, so that's something that absolutely needs to be supplemented. There are other ones. Zinc is a very important one of course for those that are low, and iron then that's an important one. Selenium I think is highly overlooked and would be great for as an anti cancer nutrient. So those are the things, and of course hydration I don't want to forget one of the most important one. It's so so important that we're properly hydrated. We don't have to look at it only as consuming water because we have to be hydrated at cellular level. And oftentimes you see that a lot of people drink water and then they just go to the washroom and pier right out. It's important when we drink it for our body to actually absorb it and for it to get into the cells. So when that's the case, then the body retains it, It actually takes it and puts it to good use. But a lot of times you see that people become endemic, so they actually have that water retention swelling kind of look, and they don't absorb it into the tissues or they just pee it out. So that's important. You have to have all the systems work optimally and running on all cylinders for us to actually experience true health.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, this is so much good information, and I just feel like you just gave us a wealth of knowledge in somewhere to really start, even just a basis when you say that we really need to make sure water on a cellular level is getting us.
Speaker 1: How can we make sure that's happening. So a lot of hydration actually is much better received when we take it in through our food, so fruits, for example, especially juicy ones, so things like of course oranges or grapes, watermelons, apples. That hydration that's in the actual fruit comes into the cells when it comes in with the nutrients, and in fact, it has such great ratios of all those micronutrients that I was talking about earlier, So it has a lot of the vitamins and a lot of the minerals, so you're actually really feeding the cells because they do need access to all those nutrients not only to be able to carry out their own functions, but also to be able to maintain their own health. So think of us, we have to be healthy to be able to go and do our jobs. If we're sick, we have to stay home and rest. So the cells actually operate in the same way. They have to be able to be healthy for themselves, and then they have to be healthy be able to carry out their functions their jobs that they are obviously there to do. So, for example, when we need to have very healthy lungs so that we can actually be able to get access to the oxygen to be able to breathe, when those cells are actually not healthy. So a lot of people who let's say smoke and do damage to their to their cells and their lungs, actually those cells start to die and then we lose function of that tissue. So it's important for us to give all the tissues what they need. So when it comes to hydration, it's so well received when it comes not just through regular water, especially because water is more solvent than anything else, so it's important to get it from fruits and vegetables, so things like celery. Celery is a high water content. It has actually a lot of minerals. The most important salt is found in celery and in cucumbers.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is so interesting because you know, I wish these are things that they really taught us in school so we could understand these fruits and vegetables and how they're helping us. And the way that you have just described in such a very basic but also important way is so cool and I so appreciate that because I wish somebody would have broke that down for me when I was sixteen years old and really shaping my you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's important that we have these kind of because these are for life, right, It's for the way that we experience life. We want to be able to enjoy health, to be able to enjoy other aspects of life, and foundationally, health is the number one thing that we can have because even if we get access to riches, if we're in a hospital bed fighting for our life, how we're going to be how are we going to be able to enjoy let's say riches in the sense of monetary riches. Millions of dollars. Would you be able to travel if you have to be in a hospital bed fighting for your life?
Speaker 3: Of course not so.
Speaker 1: Foundationally, yes, it's important, and it's important to start early, especially during developmental stages. So as children, when our tissues and our organs and our systems develop, it's so important that we set those stages and we set the habits at that point because those are the things that we're going to do throughout life, and it is then that we are going to be able to enjoy the health that we foundationally build on as time passes. So yeah, it would be so wonderful if we could get these things early on in childhood and taught in school.
Speaker 2: Now, I do want to you know, I have one of my friends on in this episode. Her name's Tori, and she had a blood cancer. And there's kind of two aspects I want to talk to you about with this. But when you talk about things that cancer patients, when you're helping them holistically.
Speaker 3: What are the ways that you're doing.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned diet, and we can kind of break that down a little bit, but is there other ways too?
Speaker 3: So that's kind of the overarching.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so the way that I approach it, and this is the way that I approached it, even with my father, is a nutritional detoxification. So what that means is we want to give the body an opportunity to detoxify, so we want to be able to get rid as much of us much of the toxic low that we accumulate through life, and that's from lifestyle of course, as well as poor dietary habits. A lot of times, and much like what you just said, we don't know that some of the things that we consume are actually detrimental to health. And we take for granted that our body is able to actually sustain so many offenses over time, and we never know when that time comes to an end and we get that diagnosis. So nutritional detoxification means that you take in certain foods that allows your body to cleanse and to detoxify, but also be taking in nutrients to be able to support the tissue so that they have access to some of the fuel and what they need to be able to continue to function and.
Speaker 3: Fight for you.
Speaker 1: So that's the number one thing, And of course detoxification also kind of bleeds into the lifestyle aspect because we don't want to take in extra toxins, and I'm talking about from even let's say, cleaning products that we use in our house. Because what we do is we inhale the vapors from some of the cleaning products. We get it on our skin and we absorb it into the body. It also disrupts a lot of our hormones and it as it takes a lot for the body to try to mitigate that while it's also trying to address the cancer. So foundationally, through the diet, I do a lot of nutritional detoxification, but again I also sort of weave that in with lifestyle, and I also speaking of the diet aspect, I believe that it's important to give the body and especially the digestive system a break from constantly sifting through the nutrients that we take in and being able to sort of get them to the proper tissues. So oftentimes what I do, and of course it's very different depending on I try to meet the patient where they're at, what stage they are, whether it's a first cancer, secondary cancer. A lot of fasting. So I'm actually going to have a conversation with doctor bald Longos, who is coming out of I believe a university in California, and he's just released a second book, and I know that he did a lot of research on the idea of fasting, so he's the one who actually developed a fasting mimicking diet so that you can give your digestive system what it needs a break to be able to sort of get itself at that level of health so that it can actually fight the cancer, be able to allocate the necessary thing where they need to be so that we can fight the cancer. And of course the immune system does a lot of that work, but it works in concert with other tissues and other systems, right, so that we can actually give the body as much of a fighting chance to be able to come on the other side healthy. And ideally you would be able to approach it only from a holistic perspective, but I've worked with a lot of people and even my dad actually went and sought help in the allopathic community, so he did a lot of therapies in the traditional way, so chemo therapy and radiation, and then we want to be able to also give the body a fighting chance because a lot of those traditional therapies actually kill indiscriminately, so they kill the cancer cells, but they also kill the healthy cells, so we want to make sure that we keep those in as strong a state as possible, and that's why nutrition is so important. You want to give them those nutrients that helps them become stronger and be able to continue fighting through the cancer journey.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's so it's so cool just how much our body takes on for us.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and it.
Speaker 2: Fights for us as well, but you know, we're just we're putting it through the ringer all the time, and I don't know that we truly appreciate all that it does for us, you know, day to day life.
Speaker 3: Especially as I hear you talking about that, and it's.
Speaker 2: Anyone I imagine who has fought cancer or been with someone fighting cancer. You just you want to take that pain away. And it sounds like one of those things you can do to really help, and that is help them with their diet in a way that you know you're giving them. Everybody always wants to send food when somebody goes through something, so maybe we send food that is very nutritionally helpful for them, and you know that would also be a good benefit.
Speaker 3: So I just love.
Speaker 2: That you're sharing all this and the science behind all of it. So you had also mentioned environmental, which it's so big right now. Everybody's very much paying attention to what they're consuming, what's around them, But environmentally, in just a average household, what are the things we should be paying attention to that could be causing cancer or diseases and us that we just may not even realize.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. Absolutely, So we have to make sure first of all, and I know that there's a lot of people out there talking about mold toxicity, so we want to make sure that our environment, our living environment, is obviously clean. So that's one thing. Candles, actually scented candles or any of the scented products that people like, those plugins and things of that nature, we just inhale all that toxicity and our body has to mitigate all of that. So if you have an active cancer, whether irrespective of what organ it's in or where it's located, the body is obviously sending all the immune cells to be able to bite this. And then imagine if now the body also has to mitigate the damage that this is doing to you. And oftentimes what happens with cancer patients is that they approach So let's talk about let's say those people that do the traditional therapies like my father did, Like I was telling you so, chemotherapy, radiation, or even surgery, but in the meantime, their lifestyle remains the same. So they look at it as this particular therapy is going to get rid of the cancer, but they do the very things that has actually brought the cancer to begin with. So it's so so important even if you do go down the path of doing traditional therapies, that you really take into account and do an inventory of what was I doing to get me here. It was such a great wake up call, and now I have such an amazing opportunity to be able to take a look and be able to make the changes that are going to give me such an amazing fighting chance to be able to overcome this. So absolutely, the lifestyle in the homes, as I mentioned earlier, the cleaning supply, So a lot of people use a lot of cleaning things that are actually so detrimental to health and very toxic. So the candles or anything scented for that matter, as well as personal products. So the things that we use that we put on our skin, So the skin is actually what holds things from going inside the body. It's our protective mechanism. It's the largest organ. However, we have to look at what do we put on it that we give it. It's a doorway to the internal environment, and that if the cancers on the inside do we want to bring in extra toxicity that the body now has to also mitigate in addition to the poor air quality that we inhale every day, which we don't have much control over, as well as some of the things that we have in the household and a lot of off gasing things from let's say, furniture or carpets, things of that nature. Even in cars, so even in our personal vehicles. When you buy a new car, that new car smell.
Speaker 3: Is so toxic. Also, the clothes that we wear, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of them are actually like those ones that are supposed to withstand fire, are actually coated with something that is so toxic. So things like that, and of course, even in an environment that you go to, is important not to sort of expose yourself to the things. You have to take ownership of your health and not put yourself in environments that are actually going to be detrimental to you.
Speaker 3: Now I know I.
Speaker 2: Can hear all of those things, and as someone who has been actively really trying to focus on the products that I'm buying, the things that I'm bringing into my home, even changing pots and pans.
Speaker 3: And only using glass and stainless steel.
Speaker 2: It's overwhelming because when you look at all of it and you see the financial aspect of it, there's just so many steps that happen with this that can be very overwhelming. So when we're looking at products like let's focus on cleaning products and personal products and things of that nature, when you're seeing things like uncented and they're organic, is that the kind of words you're looking for or is there something else we should be paying attention to.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: And for example, so for reproductive cancers, especially for US women, bleached tampons, and I've posted a whole bunch of stuff on socials about how detrimental some of these products are for women. So tampons that are made with bleached cotton, the chemicals that they use to bleach are at and so the vaginal area, which is a mucosa as well as the cervix of course, are highly highly absorbent. So anything you insert in that area is actually going to be absorbed and it enters into your bloodstream very quickly. So it's so important that you do look for exactly what you said organic and you have to I know, it's a lot of work. Of course, you have to trust the source, you have to trust the company, you have to trust the brand. So do your homework, especially if you have, let's say, a history of abnormal cells, or if you have a history of cervical cancer or varian cancer, uterine cancer in your family, so that is a weak spot for you. Absolutely do your research to see what am I using for myself and what can I do to make sure that I reduce the risk of that happening to me, especially in the world we have out there today. And the same applies to what you said about plastics and eating out of only glass and metal and even the cookware that we use.
Speaker 3: Do your research.
Speaker 1: And make sure that you see that they are actually sustainable, that they are a company and a brand that is really invested in providing not only value, not only quality, but they do actually value health and they do want to give people things that are going to be healthy, and that goes across the board, even for cleaning products. I'm a big fan of things that are made with essential oils like cleaning supplies, or you could just go down to the basics. Good old fashioned white vinegar does a great job of cleaning and it's not toxic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So is there any brands, because I imagine that your house, you've really done a lot of research and stuff.
Speaker 3: Is there any brands.
Speaker 2: You really love that are like your favorites and you kind of really trust.
Speaker 1: To be honest, what I try to do is I actually try to make my own So I love Thieves and that's a brand that comes from Young Living, So that's an essential oils thing. But I do mix a lot of my stuff, and even for my personal care stuff, I make my own toothpaste. I only use coconut oil for my skin when I come out of the shower. I kind of make oils and I mix them for my face. And think of it like this, If what you're gonna put into your body is going to or what you're gonna put on the skin ends up inside the body, you want to be able to even eat that stuff. So, for example, what I put on my face is a lot of black seed oil, and that's actually also something that I take for maintenance of health and as a preventative, So I put that on my skin and I don't ever feel the need to go and spend exorbitant amounts of money on these brands that are you know, they put a lot of their stuff in plastic. I have glass jars that I use for myself. I make my own cleaning products. So, like I said, a lot of white vinegar, a lot of lemon if you want to keep bugs away, I use a lot of things essential oils like peppermints. They also don't like cinnamon, so a lot of these natural things. And of course health is an investment. I recognize the price point because a lot of people tend to go and buy something because you know it's very cost effective. But if you're going to be saving monetarily but paying with your health, you have to really stop and wonder whether it's actually worth that exchange of keeping the money but giving your health. And oftentimes a lot of people, especially after you've lost your health, people would be willing to spend anything to be able to capture it again. So it's important that you work from it from a preventive point. So invest in those little things, sometimes with time. You have to invest with time and sometimes with money, but you get to keep the most important, the most valuable, the most important thing that we have, and that's our health.
Speaker 3: Giving us so much good information.
Speaker 2: I just feel like you are this wealth of knowledge that I'm just going to carry with me everywhere.
Speaker 3: And be like, Okay, what do I do next? This is so.
Speaker 2: Important because it is it is your point like health is so important, It is most important.
Speaker 3: One of the most.
Speaker 2: Important things we will ever spend money on or focus on is our health because we can't have anything else without it. So what you're doing is amazing, So thank you for all of that. I do want to also recognize you being a published author. Is there a lot of the things that we talked about, is that in this book that people can read and they can find Yes.
Speaker 1: I did talk about my approaches and how I changed my lifestyle, what some of the things that I did a lot of mindset. I did a lot of meditation. I had to kind of come to terms with some of the things that I was carrying, like grudges and things like that. You really have to be at peace. I do strongly believe that there are many there's it. I think disease and illnesses are very multi layered a lot of times they have to do, let's say, in large part with the diet that we consume. But that's also tied to our self worth because oftentimes we don't believe that we are worth to invest money in let's say, good quality food. Therefore, a lot of the stuff that's very psycho spiritual and very emotional has a big, a huge role to play in health as well as in lifestyle. So if we skimp on some of the things that are so important, then you know, it kind of shows up in how our health shows up. So yes, in the book, I talk about mindset, I talk about the diet that I had to change. I talk about the lifestyle. So how I went and I kind of had to take a closer look to what I was doing. I was a type a personality, very driven in the gym. I was counting every calorie. I had to kind of scale that back and be able to just say, am I at peace or do I have to constantly chase something that's always ahead of me out there instead of being a piece inside. So I was constantly sort of very outwards focused rather than inwards focused. So yes, I do talk about that in the book.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that, And can you tell everybody what it's called where they can find it.
Speaker 3: I want to make sure. Yes, of course.
Speaker 1: So the book is very aptly named Against Medical Advice, and that's actually it's a line that was said by one of the medical people when I was in the hospital right after the stroke. So it's basically a journey of how I took ownership of my health against medical advice, and I was empowered to really study to see what can I do, And to be honest, I actually only studied what I could do for myself at that time. And then I kind of recognized because the studies we get to see, just like I said earlier on that there are overarching rules and principles that apply to everybody. And yes, so the book is called Against Medical Advice, and it's available on our platforms, and of course you could find it on Amazon, Barnes, and Noble, depending on where you are in the world, but it's definitely in all marketplaces in Amazon.
Speaker 3: Oh amazing.
Speaker 2: I'm glad when you share that, because I'm going to be buying it. I need to thank you. I mean, I'm already on the journey, but I need to continue on the journey and sometimes you just need a little help. I do want to ask you two kind of hot topic questions. They can be quick answers or however you want to go about it, but the first one being we always see all kinds of studies. There's the studies of drink a glass of wine it's good for your health, or don't drink alcohol that's bad for your health, or this much or drink this kind. There's everything out there. What's the situation with alcohol? So alcohol, and of course, as you remember back in the day, and of course my father, his primary cancer was lung cancer. So back in the day, way back in the day, doctors used to say that you should smoke. And of course then we kind of came to see that that was not really such great advice. And I know that in the evolution of health, and of course, the more studies we do and the more we're able to actually even look at the figures that we see show up in large populations. So now it's actually and doctor Daniel Amman, who is one of the most important figures in mental health, and he's the one that does a lot of the brain scans.
Speaker 3: He speaks at.
Speaker 1: Large So no alcohol is actually safe, and it's tied not only to obesity, but a lot of cancers, a lot of mental health issues, a lot of degenerative neurodegenerative diseases. So I would not recommend, especially like when you look at it from what the nutritionist in me will look at it and say, what is what are some of the nutrients that show up in alcohol? And there isn't that much, especially like when it comes to cancer, it's a lot of sugar, zero nutrients. And if you were to look at the nitty gritty, especially now, there are a lot of additives, especially red wines are highly colored, there's sul fights, there's tandents. There's just so much that is of no value to the body that the body would actually have to mitigate. It really beats up deliver, it really beats up the brain, and you're not taking in anything that the body can actually say, ooh that's really gonna help me, like absolutely in no way, shape or form. So I always look at it through that lens if it's not going to be of help. And of course in the health arena, we all say like you either feed health or you feed disease. So everything that you put into the body is going to feed one of those, So which one does alcohol feed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately, you know, it's always hind The hindsight is always twenty twenty when you're looking back, like, oh, you know now, I see that. Now I feel bad, But you know, we're thirty years down the road and this is where we are. So the other question I had for you was, everybody kind of has different diets. I myself am a vegetarian that's just been I'm a huge lover of animals. That just kind of happened when I was eight years old and I stuck with it.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: So that's mine. I know I have friends that are vegan, I have friends that are keto. You know the gamut of diets. Is there any diets that we really shouldn't be doing? Or is like we have so many diet trends, like how do we know what is actually beneficial to us versus not? And should we just all be focused on eating healthy for our bodies more than anything.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So that's super important what you just said, eat for what your body actually likes. And if you are attuned, your body is always giving you feedback. So if you see that you constantly. So let's say you start doing the cardinivoor diet and you constantly constipated, Well, that's your body telling you, hey, what you're doing is actually I'm not liking it. It doesn't feel good for me. And of course, yes, we go through trends when it comes to diets. A lot of people do really well on keto. Luckily, keto is actually and in large part that's because it doesn't increase like it keeps the blood sugar low and a lot of the diseases that we see are out there are as a result of the high sugar content and food. And there's sugar in everything, which is why it's important that we eat the food that Mother Nature made. So if you're going to be eating meat, eat meat not alongside patty to let's say, buns and mixing it with a lot of other things like relish and ketchup, both of which have a lot of sugar to begin with. Sugar should never go with meat. So you have to optimize for what feels really good for you. So the Keto diet you could actually do without eating any kind of meat. You could actually because it's high fat. Right, So if you do a lot of let's say, avocados and nuts and seeds. You can get really good healthy fats from many different sources, and you can also do protein from many different sources. But I'm not a big fan of fad diets as an overarching thing. I'm a big believer that the body needs ninety nutrients and you have to get those nutrients in. If you're going to be doing a specific diet and that diet's going to give you those nutrients, sure your body's going to be happy. All of your organs and all of your systems are going to get what they need to be able to function, to be able to continue being healthy. So if that works for you, fantastic. But by and large, diets typically are trends because they cannot be sustained for long periods of time, and a lot of people will see that some of the diets that they go on will show in their let's say blood test results. You see that you're deficient in certain things which are so important, Like a lot of people are deficient in B twelve. That's actually so important, you have no energy. A lot of people become deficient in other nutrients, and then you start to see it show up as illnesses, sickness, disease, an ability to perform in the gym or to be able to get by, or you don't have any energy. So optimize for what actually works for your body rather than try to adopt a diet in the name of I'm going to be skinny, I'm going to look good. It's never and I've gone down that path. I remember one of before one of the shows that I did, one of the fitness shows, I looked amazing, fantastic, and a lot of people were asking me, are you doing a show? Because I did look good, but I did not feel good. I was not happy. My hormones were all over the place, I wasn't menstruating, so it was like I was a mess, but I looked good. So which is never a faint place to never ever, ever, ever, never ever give up your health in the name of looks.
Speaker 2: Ever. Wow, Well, Simone, I could sit here and ask you a million questions because I'm so fascinated just by you and everything that you've done and our health because it's again just something that we lack a lot of education and resources on and I wish that wasn't the case.
Speaker 3: So thank you for your work.
Speaker 2: Thank you for being part of the solution and working all of that, and you know, everybody go check out her book and Simone, just thank you again for being here.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Morgan, thank you so much for the opportunity, and absolutely I'm so happy to be able to share the knowledge that I have, especially when it comes to one of the most important things that we have, which is our health. So thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to thank all of you guys for being here for this episode.
Speaker 3: I often have a lot of these.
Speaker 2: Conversations and can feel the impact that I hope they're bringing to others when they hear them, and this was.
Speaker 3: Really one of those episodes specifically for me.
Speaker 2: If you can do me a favor if you liked this episode, listen to all the others, of course, but also subscribe to the podcast feed wherever you're listening and rate this five stars. You can also follow the Instagram page at take this personally and share with your friends, because the more people that hear this stuff, I think, the better off we all are. It's the very important saying that I keep saying and multiple episodes recently, Once we know better, we do better.