Speaker 1: Yeah, San Francisco Chronicle columnist and Killian joining us right now. Is covered Bay Area baseball for a while and great to have you back on FT. We appreciate the time as always and encourage everyone to check out Ann's work in the San Francisco Chronicle and to give her a follow at and Killian And we read your article about Bob Melvin and really the Giants disaster season. This is a team that's been in pretty good health. I was mentioning, compared to many other ball clubs, what's going on out there?
Speaker 2: You know, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: It's so hard to put a finger on exactly what's happened to them. You know, they had a really good start to the season. There was so much enthusiasm going on. The Paul Park has been packed. It's felt like the old days, you know, the World Series here in terms of the crowds coming in, the enthusiasm, the whole we believe in whatever Buster's doing kind of vibe.
Speaker 2: And then they got better, right.
Speaker 3: They made the biggest trade of probably the season in getting Devs in June in mid June, and they've just been horrendous since then.
Speaker 2: So the team.
Speaker 3: Got better, as you said, it's relatively healthy, and they've just like fallen off the table. The weird thing is they're still kind of in the wild part because I guess, thank you New York Mets. But it's pretty much been I mean they especially what I think has got to be driving ownership crazy is they are packing the ballpark and I've lost fourteen out of I believe it's fourteen at the last sixteen games at home.
Speaker 4: And I hate this because I was a Giant. They blamed me one year. So are the fans blaming Raffi Devers? Are they blaming what's that? What's that?
Speaker 2: Are they blaming Raffi?
Speaker 4: I don't think so because because since I know, because but the only reason I asked it is since they got him, they've had the worst record in baseball. Everything has kind of gone wrong. It's not his fault, but you know, they all people are always looking. We're not gonna blame Buster, clearly, and they don't think so now were they going to blame? And I just feel like, and it's not fair, But Raffie Devers is the one that people point to. Oh you know, they said he was a bad guy in Boston, So now he's a bad guy in San Francisco and we can't win with him, which I completely disagree with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think anyone who's who's dug in a little bit would disagree with that take, because you know, he wasn't He wasn't really a bad guy in Boston. They loved him in Boston. He just just you know, didn't want to play first base. He felt he felt like management hadn't been upfront with him about what was going on. But you know, he's playing first base. He's actually doing a pretty good job at first base. He seems to be very welcomed, you know, in the clubhouse. And that's an other thing that the clubhouse is good. The chemistry seems good, the players seem cohesive.
Speaker 2: So when you're looking, you know how it goes in baseball.
Speaker 3: The manager gets blamed and a lot of people are pointing the finger at Bob Melvin And is that fair?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. But is it? Is it predictable? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: And you know, Bob knows that he's in his twenty second year, he's he's been fired, he's been to the playoffs, he's seen it all. So I think that is kind of where the most of the blame lies, but it's the Devers part is really puzzling, is like, how do you literally make your team better, like much better hitting wise, and then you get worse. It's it's and and you know, they just aren't producing. They they don't get runners into scoring position. When they do get them into scoring position, they don't drive them in. It's just it's it's it's roster construction is probably the main issue.
Speaker 2: And that's something Buster is going to have to address in the in the off season.
Speaker 5: Well, Buster's not going to fire himself.
Speaker 4: Blame me, Blame me like you guys did. Twenty one year is a go in two thousand. Foere, you can blame me. I don't care. You don't blame me, and it's fine.
Speaker 5: It's fine.
Speaker 4: Hylon blame me and Giants Fance, it's my fault.
Speaker 3: Well, you know they they their their favorite person aside from you. A j to blame has been far Han And actually, you know, when it comes.
Speaker 4: To Gae and Gabe, don't forget Gabe and.
Speaker 2: Gay and Gay but and you know, I mean Melvin. That was the thing.
Speaker 3: Like Melvin came in after Gabe got fired, and you know, I think there was really a sense from the players and also from the the fan base like, Okay, now we're gonna we have a real baseball manager, and we're gonna he's gonna it's gonna make sense to us. And Buster has definitely tried to kind of have that. You know, he didn't want to do the far Han train back and forth to Triple A, you know, platooning everything player you know, nobody knows who's playing when like no recognizable players on the on the all that stuff was kind of killing the fan base. People just weren't enjoying it. So Buster, you know, very much, at the beginning of the year tried to like stabilize the lineup and and bring in some key pieces. And they are a better team than they than they were now. Some of the young players, their development doesn't seem great, and that's something that you can probably have to dig deeper down into the farm system than I do, as I'm not a beat writer, I'm a columnist, but you know, and and certainly, while some of far Han's things that he did were fantastic, like Robbie Ray, others you know, are a little bit more questionable.
Speaker 2: So people still like to blame far Han too.
Speaker 5: Ft fan. When you're playing games, you kind of have some stress anxiety. Teammates need somebody something to help. Now it's at your fingertips with RULA. That's right.
Speaker 1: Telehealth has been a huge help for millions of people, but it can be time I'm consuming and expensive to find the right therapist. RULA is on a mission to make this process smoother, and make sure you go to rulea dot com slash file for more details. They take most major insurance plans and the average copey is only about fifteen dollars per session. Every provider on Rula is carefully vetted and chosen for their expertise. Thousands have already trusted RULA to support them on their journey toward improved mental health and overall well being. Head on over to rula dot com slash foul to get started today. After you sign up, they ask you where you heard about them. Please say that ft sent you there to support the show, but also worry about yourself here at rulea dot com, r u la dot com slash fo u l and take the first step towards better mental health today. You deserve quality care from someone who cares.
Speaker 5: Okay, farhun just catching strays he's not even out there. Far Han's like, I'm working for I'm working for the enemy exact. I love I loved Farhun and I got way less rich than aj. I should be to blame. So if you could blame somebody, you can blame me. But my question is back to Bob Melvin. He shouldn't take the blame. But it's not like what Buster used to work with with Bochi Boch. He's got three world championships, goes to Texas, he gets a fourth, Bob Melvin hasn't. Is there a shorter leash because Buster knows what winning in the winning a World Series actually takes and maybe he doesn't see that in Bob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for sure there's a shorter leash. I don't think that anything's going to happen during the season. I don't think Buster would do that. I think he would be very adverse to throwing, you know, throwing Bob under the bus, making it look like he blames him, because I think Buster is from the things he's said during the slide, you know, it's more he feels it's more about the.
Speaker 2: Players or not.
Speaker 3: But I think after this kind of collapse, I think everything has to be looked at in the off season, and I and I, you know, they they extended, they they it was kind of weird they did the Dever's trade. They extended Bob they picked up his option for next year right away, like on July first. And did they need to do that.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: But I think, you know, Buster is really about stability, and I think that was kind of his way of saying, we like the direction we're going in. In July first, there was reason to like the direction they had been going in for most of the season. Not so much now, So I think I think there's going to be a hard look. I think I think Buster probably has some people in mind that he would think about as as the next manager. I don't think he is naive enough to think he can rehire Bocie or recreate Bochie in any way. But you know, that's that's the thing about what Bochi and Brian Sadian did and Buster some big shoes to fill, and and that legacy lingers on even though it's been a decade. They're they're you know, that that expectation and and also kind of the way, you know, if you remember the way that that's that era started in twenty ten was, you know, pitching in defense and a bunch of scrappy kind of take them off, the junk junkie kind of players that not a lot of people knew, with Buster ultimately being the centerpiece. And so there's a strong belief that that can somehow happen again, even in this new and different era. But yeah, they've got some serious work ahead of them in the off season, all right.
Speaker 4: I have an idea who to blame. Four seam elevated fastballs. That's what it is. That's their problem because they can't hit them, and they keep swinging at them. That's what they need to blame. I don't know fault that is, but if you keep swinging at a pitch like the Rangers the last year and a half or so, they can't hit it up here, Pitchers keep throwing it to them, they keep not hitting it, but they keep swinging at it. So at some point, you know, I don't know how to make the adjustment, but someone's gonna have to make an adjustment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's another guy who's getting a lot of strays, is Pat Burrell, the hitting instructor. But I do think that there's you know, and we hear this throughout baseball and throughout different systems. You know that that there's you know, certain things that are emphasized throughout form systems and certain things aren't. And you kind of see it when players get to the big leagues and have they really been developed in the way they should be. I don't know, that's that's way beyond my pay grade, but yeah, they can't. They're not good at the plate. They they're awful against left handers. They're it's just it's, yeah, it's it's not been good.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Hey, I wanted to ask you about the part in the story where you're like, they look defeated. Do you have any examples of that? Have players said anything about that? You know, that's the one part where you can be a team pretty much out of the mix and still be hustling right and showing up for a fan base that is showing up for you despite a disappointing season. To me, that's the part where I'm like, is there a manager situation that can be handled here a little bit differently? And I know in your article you wrote like he's tried it all right, you're throwing darts out of board, Be strict, be loose, you know, just everything and it's not working. But what's going on with a team that looks like they're not as into it as some others?
Speaker 3: Well, and the weird thing is, at the beginning of the season, they were totally into it. They had pep in the clubhouse, in the dugout, they were cohesive.
Speaker 2: And I still think they're cohesive.
Speaker 3: But this has been such a bad historically bad a couple of weeks or two months that when things go wrong, they it just looks like they're kind of giving up, they're kind of defeated. I also think they they're tight, and even Elliott Ramo said that a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: He said, I just.
Speaker 3: Am out there trying not to make a mistake. Well, I mean, that's the worst way to play any sport, that's when you make mistakes, right, So I think there's some mental stuff going on, and I think that it's also I mean, you know, you see it with losing teams when when when things are going bad and then a game starts and something bad happens, they're just there's not a lot of resiliency there. And I think we've we've kind of seen that over these last few weeks with the Giants, and I don't know that that is Bob's fault or if it's just human nature that that when things go bad that you just kind of are like, oh my god, here we go again, especially with you know, it's a relatively young team. There's some key veterans, but but you know, there's a lot of them that haven't had a lot of success. The weird one of the weirdest things of the season is is Justin Verlander. I mean, he's just been had the hardest luck, you know, ever and just but he seems solid and seems like he wants to keep pitching and hasn't been you know, blaming anyone about his terrible record, and it's it's uh but but yeah, it's just it's just been a weird season. Someone asked me like, isn't this boring? And I'm like, it's actually not boring at all. The past couple of years with far ha Han was like a continuous loop of boredom. This this has actually been interesting in how bad it's been.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got lots to write about, but I gotta say this. You want to know when it's not fun for players when you're twenty fifth and run scored barely for a game and you don't get a lot of hits.
Speaker 5: That's when you don't have energy.
Speaker 4: You show me a team that's weren't a lot of runs and they're getting a lot of hits in guess what Everyone's like, Yeah, you score four runs a game and your twenty fifth in the league. Everyone's like, I don't want to get up because I'm going to make it out and uh da da da da da da. So yeah, I understand it, but it's hard when you're not scoring runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And on sun last Sunday, their last game of their home stand, and then Monday in San Diego, they scored runs and they were they showed great energy, they did not look defeated, and they were not defeated. So yeah, I mean it's all kind of a function, a function of the game. But they've got you know, they've got uh they've got two more games against the Padres. Then they got to go to Milwaukee, the land of winners, so you know they've got and then I.
Speaker 2: Think they've got the Cubs.
Speaker 3: They've got twice more with the Dodgers, so they've got a lot of tough opponents coming up in these last few weeks and we'll just kind of see what they're made of.
Speaker 1: And thanks for covering and bousally joining us on this. It's good stuff. I really enjoy reading all of your work. We appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Good to see you all right, Thanks for having me guys,