Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, we begin with a developing story in the Gulf of Mexico, Hurricane Milton. It is set to approach the Florida Peninsula tomorrow, with wedds of up to one hundred and fifty five miles per hour bearing down on a region that is still struggling to recover from the devastation wrought by Hurricane Helene. We get more on this category four storm from Bloomberg meteorologists Drob Carolyn.
Speaker 3: Milton is passing just north of the Yucatan Peninsula this morning. It's about five hundred and eighty miles to the southwest of Tampa, moving east at nine miles an hour. It did weaken a little bit overnight. That's because we've seen an eyewall replacement cycle. Looks like the hurricane is in the process of growing a little bit larger. It's a very small system, but it will be getting larger by the time it reaches the west coast of Florida Wednesday night. We do think some weakening will occur due to win sheer and in training dry air during the day on Wednesday as it moves into the eastern Gulf of Mexico. I'm Rob Carrollvin Bloomberg Radio. Okay, Rob, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now, it isn't clear exactly where in Florida Milton will make landfall. The computer forecast models are at odds, but the National Hurricane Center says errors of as much of as one hundred miles are possible in the days before a storm comes Ashore.
Speaker 4: Well, Nathan, we want to turn now to the Middle East. In Israel's multi front conflict with I run Back militias is now entering its second year with little end in the site. Israel continues to target Beerroot's southernes suburbs, and the military is telling people along Lebanon's coast to evacuate as Israel continues to go after Hesbelah begin more from Stuart Livingstone Wallace, head of Middle East and North Africa coverage for Bloomberg News.
Speaker 5: It feels like an expansion of the existing campaign. So, yes, it's continuation, but you just think about the situation on the ground. Yes, most of the strikes have gone into southern Bay. Ruth has well the stronghold the Bekhal Valley. We obviously did see that bomba of the link between Lebanon and Syria, and that is concerning given the number of people that are trying to get out of the country, and now if you have some sort of naval operation going on to the west. But again, it just sort of speaks to almost this encirclement that's going on.
Speaker 4: And Bloomberg Stewart Livingstone Wallace reports Israel's defense minister, you have Golaud, will be in Washington tomorrow as the country continues to weigh its response to a rounds ballistic missile attack last week. President Biden has ursed Israel not to target arounds, nuclear or oil infrastructure out of concern it could spark a wider war and push up energy prices.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, both presidential candidates marked one year since the deadliest attack on Jews since the Holocaust. Donald Trump held a remembrance event at his Durral golf resort in Miami.
Speaker 6: The anti Jewish hatred has returned even here in America and our streets, our media, and our college campuses, and within the ranks of the Democrat Party in particular, not in the Republican Party I will tell you that it's not in the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: The former president also said the election would not only be the most important day in the history of the United States, but also in Israel. Earlier, Vice President Kamala Harris planted a pomegranate tree in memory of the victims at her official residence in Washington. She said the world must never forget October seventh and Nathan.
Speaker 4: The relationship between the US and Israel was a key discussion point in Vice President Kamala Harris's interview with CBS's Bill Whittaker on sixty Minutes. Harris was asked whether Prime Minister Benjamin Ettanya, who remains a close ally of the US, with all.
Speaker 7: Due respect, the better question is do we have an important alliance between the American people and the Israeli people?
Speaker 8: And the answer to that question is yes.
Speaker 4: Vice President Harris, as the administration continues negotiations with Israel with the aim of ending the war and bringing hostages home.
Speaker 2: And the geopolitical discussion on sixty Minutes also focused on the war in Ukraine. Karen Kamala Harris found Kiev's leaders would be part of any US negotiation with Russian President Vladimir Putin who end that conflict.
Speaker 7: There will be no success in ending that war without Ukraine and the UN Charter participating in what that success looks like.
Speaker 9: Would you meet with President Vladimir Putin to negotiate a solution to the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 7: Not bilaterally without Ukraine. No, Ukraine must have a say in the future of Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris declined to say if she would support Ukraine's push to join NATO if elected. Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski has sought to secure a US invitation to join NATO, thinking it would provide leverage to negotiate an end to the fighting.
Speaker 4: And Nathan the Vice President, also discussed her economic proposals on Sixty Minutes. Harris said she would expand text credits for parents and first time home buyers, and she talked about how she'd pay for it.
Speaker 7: I'm going to make sure that the richest among us who can afford it, pay their fair share in taxes. Right that teachers and nurses and firefighters are paying a higher tax rate than billionaires and the biggest corporations.
Speaker 4: Vice President Harris insisted, even with opposition, she get her proposals through Congress. In addition to the economy, Harris discussed the southern border, calling on Congress to act in pass legislation. When asked whether the Body and administration's border strategy has been strict enough, she called the issue a long standing problem.
Speaker 2: All right, Karen, Let's turn to markets now. Starting in Asia, and after surging almost eleven percent in the opening minutes of trading, stocks in China ended the session higher by almost six percent. China says it is confident it will reach its economic targets this year, but policymakers held back on any further stimulus. Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis has more from Hong Kong.
Speaker 10: China's top economic planner of the National Development and Reform Commission said it would speed up spending otherwise, though the agency mainly repeated older plans to boost investment and support low income groups and new graduates. China will issue ultra law sovereign bonds next year to support major projects, and you will bring forward to this year a fourteen billion dollar investment plan originally scheduled for next year. Investors, though, appear disappointed, as stocks traded off the best levels in Hong Kong. Brian Curtis, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: All right, Brian, thank you. Back here in the US, futures are hire this morning after a sell off to start the week. All three major indexes dropped about one percent yesterday, tech stocks leading the declines. Still, Brian Lovitt, Global market strategists at Investo, thanks, stocks are at an attractive level.
Speaker 11: I view this as a buy opportunity. You know, it's a market again that I believe is going to do well over the next few years. Don't fight the said, I think that still applies.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 11: The market is taking out one of the rate cuts right now, and that's okay, that's a short term move. But over the next few years, I think don't fight the fed certainly applies.
Speaker 4: That's Investco Global market strategist Brian Levitt, who still favors stocks over bonds going forward. And we are watching earning scross the Bloomberg. Pepsigo trimming its growth outlook for the year as volumes of soft drinks and snacks continue to slip. Full Your organic revenue now expected to grow by a low single digit percentage, down from Pepsigo's previous target of four percent.
Speaker 2: We're also keeping an ear out on FED speak this morning, Karen. There's been plenty of that today. At a European Central Bank conference in Frankfurt, FED Governor Adriana Kouegler called for a balanced approach to future rate cuts, saying the FED should keep its focus on bringing inflation back to the two percent target. Saint Louis FED President Alberto Mussalam says he supported last month's decision to lower interest rates by half point, but he emphasized he would prefer further reductions to be gradual.
Speaker 4: Honest time now if for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr.
Speaker 8: Michael, good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 12: The Supreme Court is hearing a challenge to a Biden administration and regulation on ghost guns, the difficult to trace weapons than x potentially increased link to crime in recent years. Today's case is centered on gun kits that are sold online and can be assembled into a functioning weapon in less than thirty minutes. The Biden Administration's regulation requires background checks, age verification, and serial numbers. Manufacturers and gun rights groups challenge the rule, arguing the administration overstepped its authority. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the deadly Monday morning crash of METVAC helicopter in Owen County, Kentucky. Three people were killed when the air VAK Life Team helicopter went down in a wooded area behind a restaurant as it flew to pick up a patient. This man lives near the site and says he heard the helicopter go down.
Speaker 9: I know there's going to be a lot of moments with the family, and I knows tree as a family that this.
Speaker 5: Parrow the community for the local area, you know, I mean.
Speaker 8: I will be praying for y'all.
Speaker 12: The company, in a statement, says our primary focus now is on supporting the families who were impacted, as well as our team members. President Joe Biden will announce a plan to replace all lead pipes in the country over the next ten years during a visit to the election battleground state of Wisconsin today. Biden and Milwaukee will pledge an additional two point six billion dollars from the Environmental Protection Agency to improve drinking water. As part of the plan, forty nine percent of the funding will go to disadvantage communities as grants or principal loan forgiveness. Finally, big news for lottery players. Changers are coming to the Mega Million's game in April. Lottery official Joshua Johnston says that the cost of tickets is increasing, but players will benefit from improved odds with a built in multiplier on every play.
Speaker 5: Bigger jackpots, better odds, faster jackpots, and more billionaires and millionaires.
Speaker 12: The new Mega Million's tickets will cost five dollars per play. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Michael Barr.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg, Karen, and is a price higer, right, Michael Barr, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, brought to you by try Stage Audi. Here's John stash Hour, John, good morning.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Karen. The Yankees were able to win the series opener because every time the Royals scored, the Yanks would respond. Couldn't do it Game two at the Stadium, not after Kansas City scored four runs in the fourth inning off Carlos Rodin, who had cruised to the first three and in sal Perez began the fourth of the home run Royals weren't done there. Yanks didn't score again until a Jazz Chisholm homer in the bottom of the ninth Royals one four to two. The series time at one, resuming tomorrow and case all season, Yanks have been better on the road. That gives Aaron Boone confidence.
Speaker 9: I think that's been a hallmark of our success, you know, especially after some difficult ones where you know it's just we've had a win or lost something late, or just a tough gut punch. You know, these guys are you know, these guys are really confident and understandably so. And we'll be ready to go in Game three.
Speaker 13: Food tomorrow, starting Clark Schmid. He got the nod ahead of Luis Heel. All four Division series are tied at one. Tigers and Guardians in Cleveland went to the ninth that he's still scoreless. Detroit's Kerry Carpenter two out three, one homer off Cleveland closer Emmanuel Cossa, who's been almost unhittable this season. The Tigers won three to nothing Mets in Phillies Game three tonight Cityfield, the mets first home games since September twenty second. They'll have Sean Minaya on the mound. Good night for Kansas City. Not only did the Royals win, the Chiefs beat the Saints twenty six to thirteen to stay undefeated. Patrick Mahomes three for three hundred and thirty one yards, Harrison Butker four field goals. New Orleans QB Derek Carr left the game in the fourth corn with a hip injury. The Saints started off two and oh. They've lost their last three. Next Monday, it's at MetLife Jets and Bills and Jets coach Robert Sallis as Aaron Rodgers'll be good to go.
Speaker 8: It's wite.
Speaker 13: The ankul injuries suffered.
Speaker 8: Sunday.
Speaker 13: Patriots safety Jabriel Peppers, team captain, just signed a new three year contract. Arrested charge with assault, battery, drug possession, and strangulation after the legendident with his girlfriend, Peppers pleaded not guilty. John Stashet were Bloomberg Sports Kenny.
Speaker 14: Ethan Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 11: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager. The conflict in the Middle East is now headed into its second year, with the region edging closer to all out war. Israel continues to take fire from Hamas and Hesbelah, and still is weighing its response to a Ron's ballistic missile attack last week. For the very latest, we are joined now by Rosalind Mathieson, Bloomberg's news director for Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Roz, good morning. Can you catch us up on what's been happening in the last twenty four hours. You understand Israel has continued to go after Hesbula this morning.
Speaker 8: Well, that's right.
Speaker 15: What we're seeing in the most recent couple of hours is that what is that in Lebanon, We're coming to a much more broader front in the conflict than we've seen previously. I mean, Israel has said that its incursion into Lebanon is going to be targeted and limited. But now they're bringing in a fourth division. This is a reservist division. It brings it to four and they're moving ever into the southwestern part of Lebanon. So you're getting a really elongated front in this conflict inside Lebanon. At this point, and you talk of the Israeli navy being involved, and that's sort of the coastal areas of Lebanon, and the whole idea is to prevent Hesbela from essentially replenishing its weapons in the area and to stop them being able to bring them in through either sea or land. Equally, what that's doing is preventing people from leaving the area. Some of the exits that they've got into Syrian whatnot are seemingly cut off at this point. The question is, you know, how much target and limited is this encursion going to end up being. Is Israel going to be drawn into a proper, true second front in this conflict, you know, something they've made clear they wanted to avoid.
Speaker 8: But equally it's clear.
Speaker 15: Is this warrant in Gaza, as you mentioned, enters its second year. There's a long way to go really for Israel to completely degrade either Hamas or Hezbala, these two key Iranian proxies in the region. We've seen it pick up again in the fighting in Gaza just yesterday and the day before, and it's clear that Hamas still has some capability. So the question is how much longer is this going to take for Israel to reach what it sees as its goals in this conflict, and can it actually achieve those goals truly of being able to fully degrade these outfits?
Speaker 2: Well raises the question, doesn't it rizull what the goals are up to this point, Israel has said once to get northern Israeli's back home. But if there's more of a focus now on Lebanon on Hesbol, where does that leave the fight against Hamas and the effort to bring hostages home from Gayzer.
Speaker 15: Well, that's right, there's just so many aspects to this conflict at the moment, including in Gaza. We've seen Israel operating again in the northern areas of Gaza in the last few days, some strikes also in central areas. They say that, you know, places that are being used for shelter by people in Gaza are also you know, staging pos for Hamas. That conflict that question again of you know, Hamas ostensibly using civilian areas to build their strongholds.
Speaker 8: And so even though.
Speaker 15: They say they've just they've killed a lot of the Hamas fighters in the past year, you know, tens of thousands, is claim many more remain And the question also is as this conflict goes on, you know, do a bit like a many haggrid hydra. Even though you lop off the head of some parts of the organization bit hesbula or hamas it's so nebulous, do you find that others are joining and are they getting fresh recruits as part of that process? So for Israel, you know, the question is what is the endgame and can it get there?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 2: Only thirty seconds left? Ras the biggest head is Iran. Where is Israel when it comes to confronting Iran after the ballistic missile attack.
Speaker 8: Well, we know that Israel still considering its options.
Speaker 15: We know the Israeli defense ministers in the US meeting on having meetings on Wednesday. That suggests they've not yet decided what to do. We know the US is pushing them to not hit Iranian nuclear infrastructure or oil installations.
Speaker 8: That leaves military targets.
Speaker 15: But really Israel says they're going to have to do something quite proportionate.
Speaker 8: It just remains to be seen what that is.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, or manywhere else you listen.
Speaker 4: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 4: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long.
Speaker 8: I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: And I'm Nathan Hager. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak