Speaker 1: Podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Stephen Ranella, Brody Henderson, Giannis Putellis, Randall Williams, Ryan Callahan, Hansi desha Is trying to cut me out of Morris and Corey Caulkins. What's the problem here?
Speaker 3: So I can't hear the question?
Speaker 4: Your headphones are on, Steve. It's just so we just went through a whole thing where I had to turn Spencer's down by a ton because they.
Speaker 5: Were up for you.
Speaker 3: I can't hear out of it here. Give me a sec infection. Three weeks ago, Defford Defford Doordale?
Speaker 2: Is it gonna come back?
Speaker 3: I gotta wait. They can't put the tube there yet. You gotta wait.
Speaker 2: Okay, I feel like I can.
Speaker 3: Improve that you can't hear.
Speaker 5: I'm like you kind of sound like you're a little.
Speaker 3: I don't have my balance.
Speaker 6: I can't do one leg of deadlifts and ship like that rough shape.
Speaker 7: You're gonna have someone that's.
Speaker 4: Going, okay, hey, Steve says, these your headphones are they getting like.
Speaker 5: When you go to prove that you hell, he can't hear you.
Speaker 2: Just show them all this footage. Steve's gonna be shooting across bow this year.
Speaker 5: Steve, How's how's this?
Speaker 2: Steve disabled?
Speaker 5: I can't hear anything.
Speaker 2: It's worse than we even thought.
Speaker 8: You're gonna have to have someone that's just dedicated to listen from Moose calling.
Speaker 5: This might be Brodie or and I apologize.
Speaker 4: That's you Mine, super super fucking loud.
Speaker 3: Calls up to you.
Speaker 2: It's a great start.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna don't have any audio questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you want to start over?
Speaker 5: Spencer?
Speaker 4: Keep this in because the cameras haven't been switching because I've been doing stuff.
Speaker 2: Are we are? We can? We carry on now? This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. But this isn't just any regular old game of meat Eater Trivia. This is episode three of the twenty twenty three Meat Eater Trivia Tournament. There are four episodes total, and by the end of the last one we'll have crowned a champion of Meat Eater Trivia for twenty twenty three. Now, this game will have spoilers, so if you haven't heard episodes one and two yet, then pause this and go back and listen to those first. All right, now that everyone's caught up, we're ready to declare our second ever Meat Eater Trivia champion. Will it be Steve, the man who will try to argue his way to a victory instead of just getting the answers right? Or could it be Honest who left in elkun early for a chance to win, or Randall, a player who told me that he literally loses sleep over trivia. Or will it be Cory, the man who sneakily came in second place in last year's tournament. Or could it be Seth whose wife told him not to come home if he does bad? Or could it be Hansei, a player with only four game under his belt. Or will it be cal a man who conveniently says he doesn't care about trivia when he loses at trivia? Or will it be Brodie, the defending champion from twenty twenty two, that is what we're here to decide. No, I'd like to hear a lot of competitors, what do you got right now?
Speaker 9: We're deciding this today, today, today, it's happening now.
Speaker 2: In two hours from now, we will know who the meat Eater Trivia.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 7: I didn't know there was already two episodes.
Speaker 3: You got, you got because you get witted off or you just got put in.
Speaker 9: I knew that it's got. I didn't know we were going to final champion or.
Speaker 2: The invite to this guess or to this game today, Yanni said, Meat Eater Trivia Championship should have given.
Speaker 7: I thought it was multiple games?
Speaker 2: Is multiple?
Speaker 5: Some of us y has been fighting it out in the drinks to get here.
Speaker 2: I'd like to hear from our competitors, who who do you think will win? Let's go around the room and get an answer from everyone. No cop outs, don't say like conservation is gonna win.
Speaker 10: They do this at the beginning of NFL games every year.
Speaker 2: Every year.
Speaker 6: They actually, I'm gonna I'm gonna keeping with the NFL theme. I'm gonna get a question and then I'm gonna keep getting the questions.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's my explain to me how that relates to the NFL, because they.
Speaker 3: Always go like, oh, we're gonna score early and get ahead, and.
Speaker 2: It's a good strategy. Okay, Steve is picking himself, Hansei, who you got?
Speaker 3: Oh boy?
Speaker 2: Uh conservation was that? No?
Speaker 7: No, no, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: You could pick yourself. You could pick someone else.
Speaker 10: Oh boy, you know I'm gonna I'm gonna take the Kanzi tell us who's gonna win.
Speaker 2: We'll take the cheap seats here and go Randall, Randall, Okay, Randall, who's gonna win?
Speaker 10: I mean, I'll just say me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yanni, Now, Yanni. Last year, I think when I asked you this question, you went on a tangent about old Yeller, I believe to explain your answer, which I'm not even sure if you ever got to.
Speaker 5: That mangy yellow dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so who do you think is going to win?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 9: And you don't remember how I correlated the two.
Speaker 7: No, I wish you could.
Speaker 2: You can try again.
Speaker 9: No, I don't have it in me now. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I actually just.
Speaker 9: Started reading between uh no, where the red fern grows again in preparation for hound huntings. No, that's at the end.
Speaker 5: Big Dan, Little am Yanni.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna win?
Speaker 9: If I if I had to put my money on it, I'm gonna give it to the doctor too.
Speaker 2: Wow. Three three votes for Randalls so far set who is going to win Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 5: Since Corey got second last year?
Speaker 4: I think he has it in Okay, good he got second of the whole champions.
Speaker 2: The whole thing last year he took second place. Cal who's gonna win? He did in fact going to win? Who you got?
Speaker 3: I think the top.
Speaker 7: I'll remind you answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody has picked Brody yet or.
Speaker 8: Well you know that's what happens when you got ten more wins than everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna win.
Speaker 9: Okay, Corey, Hey, I don't think mine never got updated after my last I have to do a big update.
Speaker 3: Definitely a lot.
Speaker 10: I don't even have one, so.
Speaker 2: Coy this is because he picked me, but sets on a roll. Oh yeah, okay, well the room, the room, money is on Randal then Randall. A lot of pressure on you.
Speaker 7: Oh I love the pressure on right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I think HANSI said in motion the first many steps that will lead up to eventual disappointment.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's five votes for Randall. Randall, we could just quit right now.
Speaker 1: You know I'm all for that.
Speaker 7: Actually, now, before we move.
Speaker 2: On, I should first explain how this is going to work. Our championship will be decided by twenty questions instead of ten. You'll hear the first ten questions this week and the second ten questions next week. But there's a twist. Only six of you will advance to the final episode. That means our two lowest performing players from today will be eliminated from the tournament. So these stakes are high.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a It sounds like I would do a more aggressive cut yeesb.
Speaker 2: Okay, what if you're like sixth place? I remind you, so he'd be like, yeah, keep it the way we had. I remind you. See what happened last year. We had some qualifying episodes to which I granted you a bye and you said, b yes, I will not take the buye. I'm going to earn my way. And then I think you barely snuck in by the skin of your teeth, And about halfway through the episode you're like, you know, I think I will take that by to the next round. Okay, And that was that was actually after I explained to you what a buy meant, which was uh. I love that that you didn't know. It's so organic that you didn't know what a bye was in sports. It's very on brand.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you, remember what you told me.
Speaker 8: I feel like Spencer gets really mean in He's championship because he's like, mister guy.
Speaker 9: Have you guys seen that T shirt? I think it was given a Steve, but Rosemary wears it and it's the dude dunking.
Speaker 7: It says touchdown.
Speaker 9: I laughed at least ten times that day every time I look over and see that T shirt.
Speaker 5: That's great year.
Speaker 2: Your point, Brody, of me being mean, I think this game usually fluctuates somewhere between entertaining and informative and downright mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Today today the needle is just like broken off the scale and it's down to like competitive. No.
Speaker 7: Oh, I can take it.
Speaker 2: Don't work. You can be as mean as you want, So two of you are not going to be in next week's episode. Now for the stat of the Week. This week, we're looking at player performance from last year's Trivia Championship. Brody won the game with six correct answers, followed by Corey and Giannis with five. All three players were tied going into question ten, but Brody pulled away after answering correctly that the cardinal is the most common state bird in America. Brody, if I hadn't reminded you would have you remembered that your winning question was about the most common song bird that is.
Speaker 7: Remember, but I remember being real happy about it.
Speaker 3: I was the only one that had that answer.
Speaker 2: Good on you, Brody. And here's our zero percenter question of the Week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous shows. This question was from last year's Trivia Championship. The topic was fishing, and nobody got it right. Name the state with either the heaviest or lightest largemouth bass state record. Who knows it? I remind you nobody got this right last year in the Championship episode. If you have an answer, just shouted out California, Georgia. No, Brody got it right. Georgia was the heaviest, you know, the lightest anybody No, No, Michigan, Alaska was right. The correct answers with Georgia and Alaska. The incorrect answers given were Texas, California, and Florida. Everybody went with heavy and everybody got it wrong. Now there's no housekeeping today, so we can get on with the tournament. The Shelby index for the twenty questions, there is like one or two ponds that have them. The state record for Alaska was like seven ounces, and I think there's a chance that they may have eradicated all of them by now cool, so it was very recent. I don't think they would think it's cool. There is cool.
Speaker 8: Have a hard time seeing large getting a foothold in Alaska.
Speaker 2: Now there's no housekeeping today. The Shelby index for all twenty questions is a seven, so our winners should get fourteen correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, phil one, Look, I need to know what I shoulday under win everything.
Speaker 5: I mean, size is reletive bright.
Speaker 7: It's gonna be hard to figure out.
Speaker 11: Game on suckers.
Speaker 9: Oh, Phil, nice touch there?
Speaker 2: What's the matter? Yanni? Add your arms up?
Speaker 9: So we're doing twenty questions this game, and then another twenty questions for the final final.
Speaker 2: Ten questions this week, ten questions next week.
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 2: Our listeners can have a peek behind the curtain. This is recorded the same day, Yanni, So when we finished this episode, we're gonna do the next episode right away. Satisfied minus two people, that's right. Question one. The topic is woodsmanship, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these trees is not native to North America? Is it a red maple, a black locust, a blue spruce, or white poplar? Three of these are native to North America. One of them is not. Is it a red maple, a black locust, a blue spruce, or white poplar. I'll remind our players on this side of the table. You can look at Phil. The questions are on the TV next to him. If you need a reminder of what your answering.
Speaker 5: Thick color color?
Speaker 2: Which of these trees is not native to North America? Red maple, black locust, blue spruce, white poplar. Seth with the quickest answer. Him and Yanni are are sharing what they.
Speaker 9: You don't know that we've been over here, just you know, you can't even read our lips.
Speaker 2: Fill me in that.
Speaker 9: I feel like I asked him if he knows it, because I feel like he should. He should because he has a degree in forestry.
Speaker 12: There's one of these only species I'd never heard mentioned when I was in forest for school.
Speaker 2: Okay, red maple, black locust, blue spruce, white poplar. Does everybody having an.
Speaker 3: What's weird?
Speaker 13: Cal?
Speaker 3: I get here?
Speaker 11: Oh, I find I find it weird that Seth says, you know, there's a list of trees there that he never heard mentioned, and like one of those things you never heard mentioned in school, you.
Speaker 2: Know one of them. Is everybody ready? Brody? You ready?
Speaker 8: I hate missing the first question.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers, with Cal saying red maple, set saying white poplar, Janni is saying blue spruce, Randall's saying black locust, Hansy saying red maple, Steve saying blue spruce, Corey saying black locust, Brody saying white poplars.
Speaker 5: Between red and white.
Speaker 2: For me, every choice was picked. The correct answer is the white poplar. Yeah, I think we had Seth and grown get it right. White poplars are native to Eurasia, but we're introduced to North America in seventeen forty eight. They have been reported in forty eight states, and our most prevalent east of the Missouri River. White poplars have been named one of the worst invaders of the Great Lakes region where they overtake native trees, shrubs, and grasses.
Speaker 7: Isn't it Colorado blue spruce?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well I know, but that's what I was thinking. But that I thought I remember someone saying that it was.
Speaker 2: Like a misnomer. They are native to the Rocky Mountains.
Speaker 8: You're not allowed to cut him down for Christmas trees where we used to live and real they're like protected.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question two, the topic is hunting. This archery term refers to the percentage of drawweight that a shooter hole hold on a fully drawn compound bow a confident room. This archery term refers to the percentage of drawweight that a shooter holds on a fully drawn compound bow a very confident room. Now we have Cory second guessing Hansey without an answer. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 10: I think so.
Speaker 3: Randall's not a big archery guy.
Speaker 10: No, No, so, I'm I'm a little concerned that it seems to be causing confusion for people who are big archery guys.
Speaker 2: This archery term refers to the percentage of drawweight that a shooter holds on a fully drawn compound Does everybody right?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready, Hansey, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying let off, Seth saying let off, Hansy saying let off, friend of saying let off, Hansey's saying break, Steve saying let off, Corey saying let off, Brody saying let off. They got it. The correct answer is let off.
Speaker 7: It's a weirdly worded question.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Compound bows use cables and cams that store energy, which reduces the bows held weight at full draw. For example, if you are shooting a seventy pound bow with eighty percent let off, then you would actually have just fourteen pounds of felt weight at full draw. Most hunters have a let off around eighty percent, while target archers are closer to seventy percent. That's a definition. You'll find Brody anywhere where you look up. Archie Lingo, No, I know what it is.
Speaker 7: Just say the it's like worded weirdly.
Speaker 5: I mean, if it were up to me, I'd throw out the first two. Just throw them out.
Speaker 4: Question really quick, Hansey, Were you the only one who did that?
Speaker 5: I was the only Okay, thank you? Sorry? I hate it when I have to do that.
Speaker 2: That won't be long.
Speaker 1: I'll be all move a little of the right.
Speaker 2: Wasn't your right that you can't hear from left? Question three, the topic is public lands. What National Park is home to the rock formation known as El Captain?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What National Park is home to the rock formation known as El Captain. We have a very confident room yet again, except for set I can't tell this is a trick question. I know because because Seth is this a trick question?
Speaker 5: It's hard to articulate.
Speaker 3: Just have the question, well, just have the question be out there.
Speaker 2: We just want to.
Speaker 4: As someone who knows the answer, I believe it is El Capitan.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, okay, that was problem.
Speaker 5: It's not happening.
Speaker 7: I don't know what is happening. This is unprecedented.
Speaker 3: He can't know. He don't need to pronounce his own question.
Speaker 2: Pronunciation question. Okay, there's a lot of.
Speaker 9: Captain also shocked. It like the general agreement in the room right.
Speaker 3: Now about how that's bad.
Speaker 5: Well, just how it's like, well, you got to play the ball where it lies.
Speaker 1: Sorry, if you don't know.
Speaker 2: What I spelled it wrong and I read it wrong, it is El Capitan.
Speaker 11: Can we like have a little sound bite, just Spencer saying he was wrong about one of his questions.
Speaker 2: Often what National Park is home to the rock formation known as Capitan. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying Yosemite, Seth saying Theodore Roosevelt, Janna is saying Yosemite. Everyone else saying they got it right. The correct answer is Yosemite. There goes Seth's lead after getting the first long Game Long Game. El Capitan is a granite monolith that's three thousand feet from base to summit. The Free Solo documentary, which came out in twenty eighteen, follows Alex Honold in his pursuit of being the first person to free solo climb the wall. Hanld accomplishes that and is still the only person who ever climbed the rock without the aid of ropes or protective gear. El Capitan has claimed thirty climbing fatalities in the last one hundred years.
Speaker 3: He about.
Speaker 5: Wasn't there.
Speaker 7: They just saw a bear climbing that thing recently.
Speaker 2: Well pretty sure.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure. I hope I'm right, but I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: I'll hope you're right too. That would be impressive.
Speaker 3: I think you just.
Speaker 5: Following the trail of sweat and chalk.
Speaker 7: And this is like with the last week or two.
Speaker 2: Question four, the topic is cooking. What cut of meat does the filet mignon come from? What cut of meat does the filet mignon come from? Room was very confident on question three, not as confident on question four. Yannis, do you know this? We have a hansei an honest honese Hansei do you know this? I think, Steve, do you know this?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I mean, I got an answer written down?
Speaker 2: What cut of meat does the filet mignon come from?
Speaker 5: Randall?
Speaker 10: You look confused. I'm not confused. I just don't have an answer. I see the situation quite clearly. Actually I'm unhappy with it. But no confusion here.
Speaker 5: Brad, you are the chosen one.
Speaker 2: It's not hot.
Speaker 10: Dog, Well there could be hot dog, or it could be in a hot dog.
Speaker 2: This is questions four of twenty.
Speaker 5: Can we argue the poplar question?
Speaker 11: Was it not native to North America or not native to the United States?
Speaker 2: Not native to North America? It is native to Eurasia, which is not in the.
Speaker 11: I was just I was saying the United States weren't formed in seventeen seventy four?
Speaker 5: Is that you also?
Speaker 2: I would? I would say this, and it doesn't look so good after the last question. But I had all of these. I had all these questions fact checked by our very own Jordan Sillers, who is also a doctor and whose work I very much trust. So I have confidence in these questions going forward. Besides, you know what happens with the rock formation?
Speaker 5: Yea come to meet?
Speaker 2: Does a filet Mignon come from? Does everybody have an answer? I have an answer, Randall, sure, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cow saying tenderloin, Seth saying loin, Jannis is saying tenderloin, Randall's saying round, Hansei saying tenderloin, Steve saying tenderloin, Cordy saying tenderloin, Brody saying tenderloin. The correct answer is tenderloin. The room did pretty well.
Speaker 5: You know I have to place in San Francisco, too, don't you.
Speaker 2: A file at Mignon is the small end of the tenderloin. Although it wouldn't be practical to separate the tenderloin on a deer, it would be worthy of doing so on a bison, moose or elk. If you were to purchase an elk filet Mignon online, you would cost about fifty dollars for a six ounce serving. Question five, take that job?
Speaker 3: His job, Spencers, you.
Speaker 2: Want to play host, Let's do it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you a while.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna work up little list and I know you and I know I want to get what six six right?
Speaker 2: Six to nine? It's a healthy, healthy score. I think you think you could you do it?
Speaker 3: Give me a minute.
Speaker 2: Did you listen to Honest Is episode?
Speaker 3: But the problem is no, I'm never listening to any of the ones. I'm not on to one. I won. I quit listening because it's too painful. Oh really, yeah, I sat there one.
Speaker 9: But it's not fun to listen to the ones where you're not there and play a lot.
Speaker 1: And I was.
Speaker 3: But I won, and then it doesn't do me any good.
Speaker 2: He called me immediately after I could hear the music exiting the podcast to tell me that he had just won.
Speaker 3: That was the wich I got no credit.
Speaker 7: Fancy you painted colorful picture there?
Speaker 2: Question five The topic is fishing. What legendary fishing family created the Lindy Tackle Company And in Fisherman Magazine, what legendary fishing family created the Lindy Tackle Company? And in Fisherman Magazine? A confident Seth? A confident? Honest? Can't confident? Brody? Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: What but legendary fishing family created the Lindy Tackle Company? And in Fisherman magazine? Do those things sound familiar to you?
Speaker 3: Steve?
Speaker 2: Do you know what the Lindy Tackle Company?
Speaker 3: All that ship?
Speaker 5: Just company?
Speaker 6: Is real surprise that I just don't know anything about. Like I didn't even know that they were related. I didn't know that you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Seth?
Speaker 2: You have this one right? I assume Joannis is also confident. Randall does not look confident.
Speaker 3: Steve.
Speaker 8: You got to cover your board up, man, I've ever written you there?
Speaker 3: Getting right?
Speaker 2: He could probably get away with not covering his board. How small he wrote?
Speaker 11: Is like?
Speaker 3: What was going on?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 2: What legendary fishing family created the Lindy Tackle Company? And in Fisherman man.
Speaker 3: There's this country has a legendary fishing family.
Speaker 2: Jannis Brody, do you think this is a Yeah?
Speaker 7: We're handing out hints you never heard of the pless. That's another one to.
Speaker 14: Do.
Speaker 2: Everybody have an answer. Who's going to come up with.
Speaker 3: The name legendary fishy family?
Speaker 2: Ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying Linderman, Seth saying Lindner's, Johannis saying Lindner's. Randall sang, Winkleman, Ponsi saying, Berkeley, Steve saying the Houstons, Cordy saying the Lindy's, Brody saying Lindner's. They got it. The correct answer is the Lindeners.
Speaker 3: Well, if I had written the Lindy's because the Lindy rig.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give that to you. And we're not going to give it to Cal. I think he got to Linderman. We're not going to give that to al and Ron Lindner created the Lindy Tackle Company, which is famous for their Lindy rigs, in nineteen sixty eight. They sold the brand about a decade later that they could focus on in Fishermen, a magazine they launched in nineteen seventy five. Al Ron Bill and James Lindner are all in the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Fifty years that magaze it was a freshwater Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: You you did know that, Steve, And last time you said I think I'd like to be in there, I would. Okay, So you did know it exists. I was.
Speaker 10: I was trying so hard to figure out how they got Lindy out of Winkleman.
Speaker 6: I don't know why I would have just written I know it was a Lindy rig. Why did I not write Lindy because that's not a famous fish, it's I wouldn't have gotten it right, No, No, he tried it.
Speaker 5: He did and it didn't work.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, so I wasn't even close, because that's the closest okay.
Speaker 2: Fe are a quarter of the way through our game of trivia A schooerboard update.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think everyone picking Randall as the probable winner was completely psyched him out, and that.
Speaker 5: Was that was a good group effort.
Speaker 2: Tod here.
Speaker 4: Randall has two points as well, Hansie got Steve, Seth, Corey and cow All tied up with three points apiece. Jannis has four, and in first place with a perfect game is Brody Henderson.
Speaker 3: What perfect You've gotta be kidding?
Speaker 7: Really, the game ain't over yet, Come on, let's play.
Speaker 2: Questions.
Speaker 9: Brody says, and he beating his kids. I asked him Checkers is like, come on, finish it up next year. Can we have graphics when you do the score updates?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's I'll have to think of a new program to use then I do this, but I'll try to figure something out.
Speaker 5: Sure it would just be more impactful. Yeah, I know. It kind of eliminates my job. And I'm you know, I'm here to stay.
Speaker 2: My wife and I like to play scrabble. Uh huh a lot.
Speaker 3: And I beat her the other night. Uh, and I was such what she called a sore winner. She launched the scrabble board. Wow, it to be two days to find the pieces.
Speaker 2: I have no problem envisioning that happening. Done surprised me one bit. What was the distribution of the pieces? Like? How far from?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, so it's like cooking, eating, sitting everywhere.
Speaker 5: What did you say after your win?
Speaker 3: I don't even remember, but yeah, it's just like just the worst winner I ever heard of, A bad winner.
Speaker 7: Question six.
Speaker 2: The topic is Gear. This gun maker who's famous for their military and police revolvers, announced in twenty twenty one that they'd be moving their headquarters from Massachusetts to Tennessee. This gun maker who's famous for their military and police revolvers, announced in twenty twenty one that they'd be moving their headquarters from Massachusetts to Tennessee. A fairly confident room, Steve, you have this one, right, Yeah, I do. I think maybe Brody's still doing some writing. Cal, I think you're the only one who hasn't come up with an answer yet. This gun maker, who's famous for their military and police revolvers, announced in twenty twenty one that they'd be moving their headquarters from Massachusetts to Tennessee. Kell I think I think we are waiting on you.
Speaker 5: No, I mean I wrote an answer down. Oh okay, I just don't don't have anything.
Speaker 2: And Brody, we're waiting on you.
Speaker 10: Wait, he's diagramming.
Speaker 3: I'd love to see Brody falter Man.
Speaker 1: He's drawn a little picture of the country with.
Speaker 12: The harrow showing where they went, where they end up.
Speaker 5: No, I mean yeah, it's like.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of manufacturers that he's got your dance, He's got the square foot into the facility here.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal saying Colt Seth saying Smith and Wesson. Jannis saying Springfield.
Speaker 5: Springfield, and weird one too because they have a factory in Argentine.
Speaker 2: Randall sank Smith and Wesson. Hansy saying Colt Steve saying Smith and Wesson, Cory saying Smith and Wesson, Brody saying Smith and Wesson. The correct answer is Smith and Wesson in the room.
Speaker 5: Tell me like I want to know.
Speaker 11: Based off of what criteria? Is Smith and Wesson famous for military revolvers?
Speaker 2: They produced the I think the M ten, which they distributed six million of It became like the official contracted revolver of the military and law enforcement.
Speaker 3: I'm all for Terren Spencer down and all that, but your bark up.
Speaker 7: Didn't you ever see the dirty army?
Speaker 2: The other other criteria?
Speaker 3: Just the fact that you're challenging him makes me generally supportive.
Speaker 9: But he's right the other christ history of firearms, right like Colt by firing away is like the historic firearm.
Speaker 2: Of the revolvers. But in twenty twenty one did they announce that they were moving.
Speaker 1: For the name of famous.
Speaker 11: Let's let's get down to the to the y, right, which is I genuinely wanted to know, right, it's a trivia knowledge thing.
Speaker 2: And I explained it's six million of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I'm interested in trivia shooting.
Speaker 5: Which which I didn't ask. Beyond that, I didn't challenge beyond that.
Speaker 2: Smith and Wesson had been headquartered in Massachusetts since eighteen fifty two. They said the move was because of state legislation that would have prohibited the company from manufacturing certain firearms. Their migration to Tennessee started earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Question seven.
Speaker 2: The topic is biology. This is the female reproductive part of a flower, which is made up of a stigma style and overary. Topic is biology. This is the female reproductive part of a flower, which is made up of a stigma style and overary. Brody, I think is the most confident right now. He's the only one who's writing, okay.
Speaker 7: Shute, I need to channel my inner Jennifer Jones.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get.
Speaker 7: My wife, who's a botanist.
Speaker 3: She'd be good to have here right now, right now, in my pocket.
Speaker 2: This is the female reproductive part of a flower, which is made up of a stigma style and ovary. This is question seven. As a reminder, two of you will not go on to the next round.
Speaker 3: Does it roll over at ten?
Speaker 12: Or is it keep?
Speaker 3: It will roll over so it's a fresh start.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, oh, we'll start if if the winner of this game has nine, they will have nine to start the next game.
Speaker 3: So why would you can we do it where it starts over?
Speaker 2: We will twenty questions? Twenty twenty questions, Brody, It's common in sports like golf where you have a cutoff and your your score keeps going. It doesn't just golf's not a sport. Okay, here's the question again. This is the female reproductive part of a flower, which is made up of a stigma, style and overy. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Yes, I know it's one of two. I know it's one of two.
Speaker 13: That's real, doesn't it philology class back in the day. Doesn't it feel more representative? Doesn't it feel more representative? Steve if Our, winner of the whole trivia tournament one based on twenty questions rather than just ten.
Speaker 1: I'm not looking at that.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at what would be most helpful to me right now?
Speaker 2: Getting this question right that would be helpful. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Phil bumped the cameras It look okay, Phil, Oh yeah, I think so looks fine, Yannes, are you ready? No, we're waiting on you.
Speaker 5: It looks like there's something.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 7: I do, don't feel good about it.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna be able to monetize this episode. We have Brodie dropping a f mom. We had cal showing a naughty.
Speaker 5: You're telling me all this time is just about the money.
Speaker 2: Spend money that goes to conservationizations. You can't bleep that out, honest. We're waiting on you, all right, go ahead, Corey, Corey, We're gonna. We're gonna. This is your last chance. Everybody ready, come on, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Cal Sa saying Stamen, Seth saying stolen. You honest, what's that say? Honest saying pedal, Randall saying stamen, Hansy saying stamen. St He's saying pistol. Corey saying pollen. Brody saying stamen. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Stamen's pistol. The correct answer is pistol spelled wrong.
Speaker 1: My goodness, listen, let me do a little thing related to this.
Speaker 12: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: I'm a big scrabble fan. Okay, there's the thing that happens in scrabble where you write something down and I don't know what that is, but that's a word, sure, and that is a cheap way to get a point. Yeah, and then as that's just what just happened to me.
Speaker 2: You spelled it right.
Speaker 3: I didn't know the answer.
Speaker 2: We'll give it to you.
Speaker 3: Right, you didn't.
Speaker 11: We should do a special episode based off of this where we bring my Amai in and she plays Steve.
Speaker 2: In scrabble, uh huh, And what would happen because.
Speaker 11: She just does this stuff where she's she like plays the old lady part up and then like gives you a dead stare and she's like, oh, you can challenge if you want.
Speaker 3: And it takes a strong person to be like, yeah, Katie tried to make it for a while. You had to use it the sentence. I'm not agreeing to that.
Speaker 2: That the male parts are called stamens and usually surround the pistol. The stamen is made up of the anther and filament. During the process of fertilization, pollen lands on the stigma and then the oval and and then the oval becomes the seed and ovary becomes the fruit.
Speaker 5: It's the little kid in me that wanted pistol to be masculine.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why I thought. I thought I didn't have it right, it felt man.
Speaker 2: Question eight. The topic is cooking. The name of this trendy Hawaiian food translates to cut into chunks and is sometimes served as a burrito. Very confident, room quick to answer. Here's a question again. This the name of this trendy Hawaiian food translates to cut into chunks and is sometimes served as a burrito. Seth now coming up with an answer. Janis without an answer. The rest of the room is pretty sure. This is question eight. We will get a scorebe looking at me.
Speaker 12: After this.
Speaker 10: I've never been more desperate for a score update in my life. So I can stay in the top six.
Speaker 2: The top six that's how you need to advance, and the score will carry over. The name of this trendy Hawaiian food translates to cut into chunks and is sometimes served as a burrito. Yannis is stumped. It's not picked up as board.
Speaker 7: I guess tea enough lately.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be really mad if I don't have it right. We have a confident Brodie A confident, Steve confident, Hansei, and Randall. Corey has still not come up with an answer. Question eight.
Speaker 8: Man that TikTok starting to get annoyed.
Speaker 7: Should be glad you don't have your headphones.
Speaker 2: So you can take yours off.
Speaker 3: Brody, try someone else to see if mine were just broken.
Speaker 5: That worked just fine.
Speaker 2: Actually they're a little loud. It's hardware. You say something one, two three, I can hear there. Okay, No, I'm good. Corey, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: Chunks like this guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go answer something.
Speaker 1: Just sitting over there, just milking it.
Speaker 3: A lot of these man come to them from space.
Speaker 7: Yes, Spencer, we might like drags it out the.
Speaker 3: Chats too much about the answer.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. If Cal sang poke, Seth saying poke, Yannis saying shish, Kebabs, Randall and Hansi and Steve Brody saying okay something, the correct answer is pok. Traditionally poke was rosso sounds pretty good. Traditionally poke was rossy food that was chunked and then marinated in soy sauce and sesame oil, but more modern versions have introduced other types of protein and served it with avocado rice at a mammy carrots, cucumber and delivered it in a bowl or burrito. If you want to learn how to make it, then go to the meteater dot com and check out Kimmy Werner's video called how to make a poke Bowl. Phil, we have two questions left in this episode. Give us a scoreboard update. I think the bottom is tight.
Speaker 5: It's very tight. Be scrapping it out the bottom. It's just it's tight.
Speaker 4: You've got Hansei with three points, Randall, Jannis, Corey and cow All have four points, Wouch Seth has five, Steve has six, and Brody is still in first place with seven points.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 2: I think I'm not coming back from this one. Question nine topic is conservation.
Speaker 3: You getting two right answers for the question where's the multiplier?
Speaker 2: Is there a Magmillion's multiplier in here? This is our listener question of the week, which was one by Dan Miller for sending this great question. Dan is going to get a book signed by Steve. Encyclopedia Britannica defines this two word term as quote an organism that serves as a measure of the environmental conditions in a given locale. The topic is conservation Encyclopedia Britannica defines this two word term as an organism that serves as a measure of the environmental conditions in a given locale. Hansei, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: There's a chance.
Speaker 2: I got too right. Actually, oh, there you go.
Speaker 9: I feel like this is gonna be Uh. There's an easy way to say this, and then there's another way to say this.
Speaker 3: I feel exact chat about the answer.
Speaker 5: Sounds like Steve's confident in his answer.
Speaker 6: You know, the more I know the answer, the less I like the chit chat. If I'm if, I'm if I know, if I'm clueless, I welcome the chatter. I'm like I watched Cow's gonna say something helpful.
Speaker 2: Seth has a little.
Speaker 3: Before e huh, see how's it going before you except after see.
Speaker 2: The spelling matter. That's a common way to give a hint that no I was, I'm just saying that's the most common way that people give hints.
Speaker 5: I think what Corey was getting at what you gave away.
Speaker 2: Once this is what we're talking about.
Speaker 7: This damn chit chat.
Speaker 2: Let's get it.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 1: Something where someone was like this the spelling count or most of the answers like Chartruse spelling matter.
Speaker 2: Everybody have an answer. Cory, go ahead and reveal your answers with Cal saying keystone species, Seth saying keystone species. Yanna is saying indicator species, Randall saying keystone species. Hansi's saying indicator species, Steve saying indicator species, Corey saying eco friendly, Brody saying indicator species. We have a correct answer in the room. It's indicator species, which is exactly what this is.
Speaker 12: No no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: The keystone species is one that's very important. This is absolutely what we had about.
Speaker 3: Publication.
Speaker 2: This is Encyclopedia Britannic.
Speaker 5: This is horse ship.
Speaker 2: No no, no, an organism that serves as a measure of the environmental conditions in a given local. That's an indicator species.
Speaker 5: Keystone species at this point in time is the exact same thing.
Speaker 7: There question about keystone species.
Speaker 3: There's a long pause between horse and ship. That's bad.
Speaker 2: What do you.
Speaker 7: Behind that indicator species? Just be like an indicator that me. Let me read one particular environment.
Speaker 2: Let me read you the all of facts whether then we'll hash this out after indicator species talking help.
Speaker 7: Tensions are high.
Speaker 2: Indicator species are often micro organisms and plants, but they do come in all shapes and sizes. For example, river otters, which are also a keystone species, are sensitive to mercury and their numbers will quickly decline if the bottom of the food chain collapses. Frogs or another often cited indicator species because their skin absorbs chemical pollutants, and algae blooms are one of the most obvious indicator species which signal a change in the season or environment. Does that satisfy you? Cant lgae blooms a keystone.
Speaker 11: Species, Let's say for publication, Sure, I would ask the exact same sentence that you just read. If you've swapped out indicator and keystone, that would mean something different.
Speaker 2: It would a keystone own species would not be an LG bloom, It would not be a frog, but it could be an otter you're selling.
Speaker 8: I think what he's saying is it can be an indicator species without being a keystone species. Right, but not every keystone is at.
Speaker 9: This point in time, like keystone is essentially debunked. Everything can be a keystone species.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: A copy of this, I'm pulling it up right now. Cal, here's a white here's the Keystone species definition from Encyclopedia Britannica. A species that has a disproportionately large effect on the communities.
Speaker 11: You're doing a disservice to people out there because this is not up to date.
Speaker 2: But you're you're arguing for an incorrect answer that wasn't the answer.
Speaker 11: Well okay, sorry, yeah, I don't know the definition according to Encyclopedia Britannica. What I'm saying, though, is for like functional biology at this point in time, keystone does not mean what he didn't.
Speaker 2: I still arguing, but Keystone wasn't the answer. Cal It'd be like if you said, uh, I don't know, like the food pyramid, You're like, the food pyramid is not a thing anymore. It's like, well, the answer wasn't food pyramids, so it kind of doesn't matter.
Speaker 11: Let's say the answer is red, and uh, everybody writes red and somebody writes roha to.
Speaker 5: Pick this.
Speaker 2: One question left? Give us a scoreboard up to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure thing. The only two players who are safe and are moving on for sure.
Speaker 7: How's going over there?
Speaker 4: Steve are Brody and Steve. He has eight points, Steve has seven. Then coming up behind them, I'm going backwards this time we have Honest and Seth with five points, and then cal Corey, Hanse and Randall all have four points apiece.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Question ten a tie breaker if there will be a tiebreaker, if we need to do a tiebreaker to move on. Question ten, the topic is hunting. Which turkey subspecies is found in states like Louisiana, Kansas, and Washington.
Speaker 10: It is as though you chose this question to eliminate me.
Speaker 2: What are states like? What's what's that?
Speaker 3: States like?
Speaker 2: Which turkey subspecies is found?
Speaker 3: Well, it's like Washington. Do you mean such as Sure or these in states similar to you know, Washington?
Speaker 2: Which turkey subspecies is found in state such as Louisiana, Kansas, and Washington.
Speaker 5: Spencer you example of how algae bloom can be a keystone?
Speaker 2: Sure, I would like an example.
Speaker 1: Algae bloom is a new species.
Speaker 3: I feel like algae Okay.
Speaker 9: It's almost like you wrote this one just because you wanted to stir the possum.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is an arguing question.
Speaker 2: The question Tanner question nine, you're saying this.
Speaker 6: Here one, Well, there's a lot of problems with One thing I'll point out is a lot of people think the whole subspecies thing is bogus.
Speaker 3: So it's the whole question is based off that.
Speaker 5: There's one argument.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Phil remind us who is fighting to move on at the bottom.
Speaker 6: That doesn't ever matter because the game you're not rolling it over, so he still gets to be in the lead.
Speaker 2: Yes, but two people will not advance for a chance that anyways.
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 1: If they stay here?
Speaker 2: They could there's no way to catch up.
Speaker 3: Brody could falter.
Speaker 6: You're saying no, but Brody's not going anywhere if you're losing that if you're losing so bad right now, you can't stay you ain't winning.
Speaker 2: But what if what if Brody gets is wrong? Say and one of these people at the bottom gets it right, there's only like two points separating them?
Speaker 3: Really four points?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, case Brodie, Brody has eight, Steve has seven. Everyone else is fighting it out depending on where they land and where a tiebreaker lands.
Speaker 3: You and I can sit that might make sense.
Speaker 4: Joannis and Seth have five everywhere, and cal Corey, Hanse and Randall have the Does everybody have an answer for this?
Speaker 3: I got a problem with this question, everybody.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: You're ready to fight.
Speaker 12: You know what's going to knock the fight right out if he gets it right, if I get it right.
Speaker 2: And my failure answers. We have Cal sayg Rio Grande, Seth saying Eastern, Giannis saying Eastern, Randall saying Merriams, Hansi saying Marriams, Steve saying Eastern, Corey saying Merriam, Brody saying Eastern. The correct answer is eastern, and I don't know what that means for our game.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Factoid and then Phil is going to tell us who is moving on and who it was the only Turkey I actually Louisiana only has Easterns, Kansas has Rios and Easterns, and Washington has Merriams, Rios and Easterns. Although Easterns seem especially out of place in Washington, Rio's and Merriams aren't native to the state either. According to n WTF, all turkeys that live in the Pacific Northwest are introduced populations, So the only answer could possibly be Easterns because that's the only subspecies found in louis.
Speaker 1: They're probably there.
Speaker 10: Probably there probably states like Louisiana and Kansas that have Miriams.
Speaker 2: Similar. Yeah, similar to Phil tell Us, who is not joining us in episode four.
Speaker 4: Well, the players who are joining us are Brodie, Steve, Jannison, Seth. We need to go to a tiebreaker between cal, Corey, Hansei, and Randa, who all have stop the two players.
Speaker 3: Who are closest. We're going to pause the game to do this.
Speaker 7: You can just tell me to go.
Speaker 2: We have a tiebreaker ready, so you're gonna sit back and watch him squirm.
Speaker 4: Corey, cal Hansei, and Randall need to go to a tiebreaker, and the two closest in the tiebreaker will move on.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a question about like a lion ring Roman times like four feet.
Speaker 9: I feel like the family dog tied up by the leash and bumper and they're taken off.
Speaker 5: I forgot you back there, and it's like, yeah, there's a rabbit ahead of there, not going to remember, and you're not going to remember.
Speaker 10: So the winners of this, the two winners will move on to play the next.
Speaker 2: Ten questions that are four question disadvantage. That is precisely right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's as painful as it sounds.
Speaker 5: Pressure free.
Speaker 2: The tie breaking topic is hunting what percentage of whitetail deer we're harvested on private land in the Midwest in twenty twenty one. And this is via the National Deer Association. They categorize the Midwest as thirteen states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. Here's the question again, what percentage of whitetail deer we're harvested on private land in the Midwest in twenty twenty one. Even if you're not in the running to be eliminated, like you to play along, we could potentially have somebody hit it right on the nose and add an extra to one hundred dollars donation. Answer to one decimal point.
Speaker 5: So I am confused.
Speaker 9: Okay, is this a percentage of the percent North American population of white tail deer?
Speaker 2: No, just of all the deer harvested in the Midwest, what percentage of those deer.
Speaker 5: Were harvested on private land?
Speaker 2: That's right, and Phil's screen is showing you the states that this question is referencing. What percentage of white tailed deer we're harvested on private land in the Midwest in twenty twenty one, and as Cal pointed out, this is the percentage of all the deer that were harvested in the Midwest.
Speaker 5: I always get a.
Speaker 9: Sense that Kentucky and Missouri they don't necessarily like being included lumped into that group.
Speaker 6: Well because a lot of them think they're Southerners mid seven, even though they can ice fish at times.
Speaker 2: Does everybody you know what.
Speaker 3: I just went by, because the wine's being the same number. What percentage of Spencer's questions are flawed?
Speaker 2: Is this one of them?
Speaker 7: Twenty?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Take that as a yes? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying seventy seven, Giannis saying seventy one point five, Steve saying eighty eight, Brody's saying eighty two point on. Our four competitors left. Because I'm firing with sixty percent, Hansi with seventy eight percent, Randall with eighty six point two percent, and Cal with sixty four percent. Hold up your boards one more time for me.
Speaker 5: The four people left, keep them down, you guys that are way ahead of us.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is ninety one percent, meaning Randal and Hansi.
Speaker 3: Please point out that that was the closest in the room.
Speaker 2: Steve is the closest, and this should be like, this should be like more like Steve, you're than three percentage points.
Speaker 3: I would have hosted it like, oh my gosh, Steve almost got it exactly right. But the people of the tiebreaker look.
Speaker 2: And we had Random who was five and Hansei who was thirteen percent.
Speaker 5: Off that Hey, I really want to thank you for this opportunity.
Speaker 2: You didn't throw that game, did you.
Speaker 12: H Oh.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to believe that there was more opportunity on public land.
Speaker 2: He's optimistic. I think there is.
Speaker 14: It's just whether people use it or not, right, yeah, yeah, and then you like get into those QDMA estates are formerly known ASS the artist, formerly known ASS about one hundred acre farms.
Speaker 2: Now, normally at this point in the show, the trivia winner would get to choose with you five hundred dollars donation from me to goes. But because this is part of the tournament, we're doing something a little different. Here's what's going to happen. We are banking each donation until the end of the tournament. So instead of four five hundred dollars donations, the trivia champion is going to make a one two thousand dollars donation. It'll be the biggest donation in Meat Eater Trivia history.
Speaker 3: Calum allocated, Actually, well you did.
Speaker 5: You didn't have to.
Speaker 13: You didn't have to put it that way, Steve, can we fit another correction into the conclusion of the show?
Speaker 2: Cal and Corey, you guys advanced from earlier episodes, but now we say goodbye. It was fun.
Speaker 5: Doesn't sound like Rise Corps isn't even in the room.
Speaker 2: Despite him getting second last year and beating Steve in the tournament. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show or a conservation he always wins.