Speaker 1: Warren't. Today's episode contains spoilers for various movies that we have that we're fond of, including The Secret Agent Who Left Handed Girl, Sentimental Value and All You Need Is Kille. Hello, my name is Jasoncepcion.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm Rosie Knight. How's it going?
Speaker 1: And welcome back to Extra Vision. Love by Guys. Are we'd have to be your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, Company from my Heart, where we're bringing you three episodes a week, plus news plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, as we tease in the spoiler warning, we are going to be talking about some of the movies we've checked out this year, but I haven't had a time to talk about because there's so many incredible movies and TV shows coming out that we have been covering.
Speaker 1: But for first, let's get into it. Let's talk about these movies. Okay, Rosie, You and I are avid movie fans.
Speaker 2: We love a movie.
Speaker 1: We love to go to the theater. If I'm missing in the theater, I'll always rent and or buy a correct film. This time of year, it being late February, as we head down the ski slope of Awards season, past the Golden globes past the BAFTAs, and that's a whole thing that we will talk about in No God, Oh God. On our way towards SAG Independent Spirit and the Academy Awards. It's always a time in which you and I and I think all movie fans seek to just get prepped to know about these films that are nominated in various award ceremonies and have our own opinions, because it's always fun to have our opinions. And so today we're going to talk about some movies that we have seen recently that we love. Some of them are are nominated in various award programs, some of them are not. Regardless, we're fond of these movies.
Speaker 2: Let's begin. I'll unveil my first movie.
Speaker 3: I do think if we were living in a more just world, this should have been nominated as the Taiwanese entry into as well. It was nominated as the Taiwanese entry into the Oscars. I believe it should have been up for Best Foreign Language Film.
Speaker 2: It was not.
Speaker 3: But this is a really incredible film by Shanshi Sashao, who you probably know best from co producing movies alongside Sean Baker, Like Florida project like Takeout, which is my favorite Sean Baker movie, which she also co directed.
Speaker 1: I love love Takeout as a New York guy.
Speaker 2: And crazy movie. I just recently did beautiful film. There's a gorgeous, gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Watching Criteria now. If you have Criterion, you can see it now.
Speaker 3: And I will say there is so much of Takeout in Left Handed Girl. Sean Baker even said that I recently did a Q and A with Sean and Charles Jang, the lead who plays ming in Takeout. It's such an unbelievable movie. If I'm sure, if you're a New York if you're someone who's ever worked a really shitty service job.
Speaker 2: There's so many layers to it.
Speaker 3: It's one of the true movies that captures the drudgery of everyday life. And the reason I mention it is because Shishing had co directed that. And when you see Left Handed Girl open in these night markets, you just feel that same raw energy. This kind of hybrid filmmaking where you know that some of the people you're seeing on screen are actually just living their day to day lives and some of them are actually you.
Speaker 2: Know, performers.
Speaker 3: In this we follow a young girl who is told by her grandfather that her left hand is essentially a devil hand, and that leads to kind of getting into these scrapes where anything bad she wants to do, she just does it with her left hand. It's a really great parable about like superstition and belief and the way that things people say to you when you're a kid can shape you. But it's also this unbelievably engaging family drama with incredible performances. It will grip you. It feels like this kind of vital indie cinema.
Speaker 2: That we just need so so much more.
Speaker 3: Of, and I feel like it's gonna go straight into criteria and if there's any justice.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminds me of the era.
Speaker 3: When like I was watching a lot of movies under what they would call the tart and Asia Extreme banner, which was like a British way of releasing movies, but it was very much in the direction of like Chinese cinema like All About Lily Shueshoe, or Japanese cinema like Battle Royale.
Speaker 2: There's kind of this rawness and truth and kind.
Speaker 3: Of energy to it that reminds me of that Zero's era, and I just was so blown away. It's on Netflix, which is one of the most incredible things. This movie has probably been seen, as Sean Baker told me the other day, by more people than all of his other movies.
Speaker 2: Put together, because it is on that It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you can watch it, and it is I'm hoping we'll set her up for many, many good movies going forward.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I just I love it. And it's it's got so much energy.
Speaker 3: It's gonna make you cry, it's gonna make you laugh, it's gonna make you want to rebel against your family, but also like find the members of your family you love.
Speaker 2: It's. Yeah, it's a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love the films of apparent union hater Sean Baker.
Speaker 2: Look, we can get it.
Speaker 3: I just want to say we have talked on this podcast about me of Sean Baker's problems.
Speaker 1: We get it later, but I but you know you're Here's what I appreciate about Sean is when you watch his movies, when you watch Takeout and I will watch Left Handed Girl this week.
Speaker 2: Which he did coprid h and kind of helped.
Speaker 1: Yes and even in Nora to an extent. There it is an if you were feeling in any type of way, like troubled by the ongoing you know, accretion of media conglomerates, like buying each other and feeling like there's a uniformity to films there there isn't if you just screep down like two or three levels and.
Speaker 2: Sean Baker is is one an oscar So this is not that's the top level of scraping.
Speaker 3: Ye go below you can see direct Debon Dren who like the Guy in a Parasite all of his movies.
Speaker 2: You can find incredible movies by people.
Speaker 3: Like she s and it's just so many great but you'll make us out there.
Speaker 1: Even Takeout, and you know, I don't know, it's like that feels like a movie, and I don't I don't mean to say this as a way to like discount the people who worked on it, and there's probably you know who work clearly very hard on it. But it will make you, Yeah, it will make you feel like you could make a movie if you got together with your frenzy.
Speaker 2: Is what's amazing about Takeout. They made it in the best way.
Speaker 3: Three thousand dollars and it was it was Shihang, it was Charles Jang, the lead, and it was Sean Baker, and the three of them basically set themselves up in the takeout the real restaurant with the real workers. The women you see there who is so funny and so incredible, that's the real woman who worked behind the counter, and those were her real customers for the most part. And that was the rawness and realness. I think that makes it still sing like twenty two, twenty three years later. But also I said, that was my first question, Jason, when I was asking Charles and Sean about.
Speaker 2: It, was.
Speaker 3: Like, how does it feel to have made something just with your friends and just gone out there made it, and then twenty five years later people are still looking back and talking about it because that is just you never imagine it, right, but it makes you feel like you could be that excited that you could do it and have that energy.
Speaker 1: That movie was shot very cheaply. Left Handed Girl was shot on iPhone. Yeah, I don't know about primarily, but in large part on.
Speaker 3: Iphons, which we know Sean also did with Tangerine, which is another one of his best movies in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And from what I've read, not a twenty years later shot on iPhone where it was like a rig with twenty iPhones, you know what, I like, like an iPhone at a time. I'm sure they had multiple iPhones, but you know what I mean, it's not like there's not like a ten thousand dollars rig to put all these iPhones together. All of which is to say, you know, like video editing software like Resolve Da Vinci Resolve is available with eighty five percent of the features like unlocked on the free version, like you can anybody can make a movie. You can go make a movie right now if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Literally.
Speaker 3: And also, guys, I think that's such a great point, Jason, because something else that Sean Baker made at the same time as this, so again and like we said, union issues there.
Speaker 2: I had many issues with the Nora that I've forgot.
Speaker 1: You can go read about it on the Hollywood Reporter. Hollywood Reporter has a very good interview with members of the crew on a Nora, and you can.
Speaker 2: Read about it, listen to our all conversations about it.
Speaker 3: But but, but, but I do think that there is a power to reminding people they can make things themselves. And there is an eleven minute short short film that Sean Baker made All on iPhone starring Michelle Yohe that was recently released as part of kind of an art project, and you can see again this kind of notion of even as he grows, he's always trying to say like, hey, guys, there's still a way you can do this, Like there's still something you can make. And I have to say he was there sign in movie posters and talking to people who made make movies.
Speaker 2: For like hours after the movie.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's definitely a cool time to remind yourself like you can do that.
Speaker 2: And guess what, you don't need to use AI, guys. You can just do it yourself. You can do it. Do it yourself.
Speaker 3: Who's gonna make the first X ray vision? Listen to a movie? We will be at the premie.
Speaker 2: Make it.
Speaker 1: It's very easy to do, not very easy, but it's very easy to make it successible. It's a lot harder make something good. But that's kind of the fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Exactly.
Speaker 1: One of the movies that I've seen recent that I've really really loved is and this is an award a bait movie is The Secret Agent, directed by clebre Mondino Filo. Sorry if I mispronounced that starring Wagner Mora, Carlos Francisco, Tanya Maria and others. And it is a movie about It's set in nineteen seventy seven. There's a lot there's all these wonderful references in this movie to what a great movie year. It is like Star Wars. They're talking like Jiz is a huge plot point in this film.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: It's set in Brazil.
Speaker 2: Period piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, set in Brazil in nineteen seventy seven was the middle of Brazil's two decade military dictatorship. Brazil had suffered a handful of coups in the mid twentieth century, and then in sixty five, the military very interesting in contrast to other South American dictatorships, took power essentially and sincerely, I guess in their view to protect democracy. And this is this is set in the middle of that period, a period of repression where resistance cells kind of like ragtag resistance cells have formed, and oftentimes this resistance was led by the kind of political elites, upper middle class and wealthy members of the Brazilian ruling class who initially had supported the military dictatorship, but now we're like, oh, we've made a mistake. And are trying and are trying to struggle against us. Wagner More plays a former teacher who's caught in the middle of this. He's on the run, he's fleeing, and he is placed by this resistance cell like in Receive. It's during carnival, and he's being hidden there along with other political refugees from around the country in like a collection of safe houses, and the movie takes It's interesting because it takes a long time to get going, and I think what it's trying to do is really put you in the middle of the confusion of.
Speaker 2: What the imagione of what it's like to be to be.
Speaker 1: In this dictatorship that you don't know the shape of it. It's hard to know what's real. The military and the ruling forces control the media to a large extent, and there's a lot of like self dealing and like right wing looting of industries going on.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: Wager More plays this guy Armando, who worked like at a research university and they developed this really cool technology and you know, basically a like regime connected industrialist came along. It was just like great, nice technology. I own it now, and if you try and do anything about it, like I'll kill you and actually sends two hitman after Armando to try and find him. And but what really struck me about this movie is it unexpectedly opens up at a certain point where so he's he's all the while he is recording his like an interview you with the organizers of this resistance cell. They can't they have no power at this time, or very little power. What they're trying to do is just basically get everything down on tape so that hopefully one day in the future something can be done. Right. And so he's talking about, you know, how he came to be on the run, what happened to him, what happened to his wife, et cetera. His child is being raised by his wife's father, who is a projectionist in a cinema, and this is where a lot of the Jaws stuff and that kind of stuff comes in. A big plot point is an argument between the father in law and Armando to take this young kid to Jaws, which is very scary.
Speaker 3: And it has this huge payoff, like emotionally, that huge emotional path.
Speaker 2: Well, Jason, something I think.
Speaker 3: Is really cool about this movie that you kind of I didn't even really think about because it is so immersive, and it definitely put me in the mind of like again kind of this like Theo's indie era, like the French movie a prophet Less said about that director now Beta, but that movie is fucking incredible, Like there was again these raw immersive even like you know, Spielberg got into it a little bit when he tried to do his movie about the Olympic bombing and stuff, these kind of intimate chamber dramas, but when you pull out, there's this huge, big punch of kind of like the ripple effect.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean, also, it feels crazy that.
Speaker 3: A movie that's essentially about like an Anarco communist like resistance group is also like one of the most celebrated movies of the year in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It's like really surreal.
Speaker 1: I think that there is something too, And this goes for the other movie. I'm going to talk about sentimental value, which people have heard me talk about before. But so this movie opens up and at a certain point you realize that there's a present day timeline and that there's these two universes researchers who are listening to the tapes that Armando put down and they're studying them, and and what really affected me is like one of them is you know, incredibly moved, goes out and seeks out Armando's son and tries to talk to him about his dad. He has no memories of the only thing he you know, he remembers very almost nothing basically about his dad. And and then there's the other researcher who's like, is just was doing it for the grade and has now like moved on to is like surfing Internet and I and it made me realize, like that is we're kind of living in that now where you just get the feeling that once we are past whatever period this is and things lighten up to an extent, there's gonna be a lot of people who are who just check out, who completely check out on what is happening and can't wait to check out. You know. That's kind of like the the the curse and the gift of peace and stability and success is people just like check out. And the other thing about it, and it's just the same thing that I love about sentimental value is it feels like there is an understanding in international cinema that to tell stories that reflect the world, to reflect what is happening. It is necessary to create these structures that stretch over multiple years, multiple lifetimes of people's lives intergenerationally. You can't just tell a story that seeks to kind of encapsulate the feeling that we're all having, the people are having about the world and the way it's changing without having this multi timeline, multi generational kind of feeling that allows the story to trace the ripple effects of decisions that were made decades previously to the main timeline of the story. And I think it's it's such a wonderful way to engage with the story. I mean, you know, and it's when it's really well done, it's incredibly moving. And the Secret Agent was one of those not moving at maybe in the way that like, you know, for me, it was really about this feeling of, you know, one day this is going to pass. People are going to study this, and they're also.
Speaker 2: All of the forget it.
Speaker 1: They're going to forget and all of the texture and fear and and togetherness and the raw kind of emotion of the period is going to get lost in translation and it's going to be really hard to pick it up again. That idea was is really interesting and I also think, you know, people may know that the former dictator of Brazil or extremely right wing president multiple time COVID survivor the ex president pol scenario, was put in prison for you know, his attempted coup and take over the country. And you know, as we sit here, we're probably wondering, like why we can't do that? And I do wonder if some of that South Korea did the same thing, put a president who tried to take over the country, who like in jail, and they have the similar issue as Brazil, which is they went through a period of military of dictatorship. So and kind of understood like what how, what that is, what it looks like, what it was like, and how important it is to kind of smack back against. So it's a really incredible movie that like sneaks up on you, and I mean sneaks up on you. Like this is a movie where you may find yourself during the first hour being like what the fuck am I even like what's I don't understand what the story is, but but it is worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Also historical movie. Wagnamora making a lot of waves. He won Best at It Can, which set him up for his Oscar norm which he did get, which I believe makes him a first, the first Latin American actor to be nominated.
Speaker 2: For Best Filian, first Brazilian.
Speaker 3: Actor nominated for Best Actor. Love that for him. Very excited for more people to watch this. Hopefully this will be a movie that people can tie to the actions of today. But we shall see, I guess. But yeah, I mean, this is truly a great movie. I was so glad after you saw it that you were like, this is a must watch, because it immediately moved up my list.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be back with our other favorite movies. Will and we're about, Hey, Rosie, what's your next movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go for one.
Speaker 3: No, this is gonna be our main, like, non Oscar contender, non critically beloved movie.
Speaker 2: But I think it is so worthwhile.
Speaker 3: I think in a time that people are getting more into strange animation, rediscovering incredible artists like Mobiusts, or watching old movies like you know, A Fantastic Planet or something like that, I think it's a time that people should open their eyes to non narrative, strange adventures through animation. And the recently released adaptation of All You Need Is Kill, which was an animation release and is now streaming, is just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: In my opinion. The reviews relatively middling.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be nominated for Best Animated Feature, though I think that is a mistake.
Speaker 2: This movie is.
Speaker 3: So unbelievably beautiful. Obviously, you're probably not gonna get to watch at the cinema now it's streaming, but there is a reason, gee, kids, pick this movie up. You can watch on your projector on your set and inch screen, which I'm sure many of you have.
Speaker 2: It is the same story that we.
Speaker 3: Saw adapted in the incredibly enjoyable and underrated Tom Cruise Emily Blunt action movie, very underrated Edge of Tomorrow and.
Speaker 1: Actually good, an actual side fi masterpiece.
Speaker 3: Yea yeah, an actual side by masterpiece, a time loop masterpiece. It's funny, it's engaging, the action is incredible, the robots are incredible. Go watch it.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: It's based on a light novel which was then adapted into a really popular manga. This is an anime movie adaptation that's very different to both of those. But if you want to just lose yourself in gorgeous animation, time loop animation, you know what. It really reminded me of something the newer shows that we've gotten recently, like Scavenger's Rain. That was the energy it was giving, Like you just want to go and spend time in a space in a beautiful alien world. That the show that Pendleton War did where he was kind of doing podcast interviews with people and it's on Netflix, and then he would kind of animate around them as they had these conversations about like life and death and you know, micronosing mushrooms and stuff. To me, it felt very experimental, and I think that g kids are releasing it in the cinema at all is amazing. But it feels to me like the kind of movie that's gonna find its audience in, you know, realistically, like stoner students or kids who want to like take drugs and watch a movie like we used to do with Keanus Quarts.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, you gotta watch it.
Speaker 3: It's an important thing that's gonna make it its own cult flavor. And I just, yeah, I'm a big fan of this movie. I think it's a great weird movie. It's under an hour and thirty minutes long. Guys, It's an hour and twenty two minutes long. It is really so cool, and it is unlike any other movie you've seen. And if you love the Light novel, you love the at manga, and you love the Tom Cruise movie, this is totally different story wise, so you can enjoy it in a different way. It's not gonna win any awards, but I do think it's worth checking out, and I bet that a lot of our audience will love it.
Speaker 1: And then my final movie is Yokim Trier's Sentimental Value, which I've talked about, but this is another movie that has that multi generational structure. Is it's about It's about trauma. It's about attempting to attempting to say something through art. It's about just how people fall prey to their own past, to their own to their own traumatic experiences, and aren't able to like see past the pain they've caused other people or make it better in any kind of way. It stars We're not Renceive, who was was also in Trier's Worst Person in the World, which is I promise you this if you've seen Worst Person in the World, which I loved, I thought it was crazy. Movie left me feel a beautiful film left me feeling very very sad.
Speaker 2: Very sad.
Speaker 1: I watched since I was.
Speaker 3: Unexpected comic book movie because the guy is a graphic novelist. I love the movie where there's a random person who has a cartooning career.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I'm so excited for this one.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen it, but I'm already grateful for the movie because of how incredible the interview they did or Actors on Actors' Style Variety interview with both stell and Scarsgard and Alexander kind of talking about this movie and whether or not it is very realistic to who he is as a father or not, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 1: So Stellin plays a Gustafborg, a celebrated film director who is estrange from his daughters, Nora played by Renatt and Sieve, who is a successful stage and TV actress but not like a start, like a very talented, walking working actor and very talented and respected, and her and his other daughter, Agnes, who is a historian. Stellin's mother was in the Dutch Resistance and she committed suicide when he was very young, when he was walking to school and she killed herself, and it has in his mind. He believes something to do with her torture at the hands of the Nazis d World War two. And all of which is to say Stellin's a terrible dad. He is kind of a bad He's he makes he's made brilliant films, but he's pasted it like he's washed up. And he has not maintained the relationships with the people who he has collaborated with in the past, namely his his cinematographer law Peter excuse me, who is now elderly and you know, has mo ability issues and he's at the end of his life or you know, approaching it. Anyway. He's healthy, but you know, he's old, and he's starting to feel like, I'll never make it up to any of these people or explain to them how it came to be that I hurt all of them so badly and I don't know what to do about it. And so he writes this movie, and he wants his daughter to be in it, and he wants his old collaborators to get into it with him. But the thing is, it's you know, twenty twenty five, and when he fails to get his daughter in it, he ends up shopping it around, it goes to Netflix. In order to get the funding, he has to cast Rachel Kent played by el Fanning, who's like a famous, famous, famous American actor who is like excited for, you know, to be in the movie of an auteur. You know. It's like it was like, you know, imagine Scarlett Johansson but without the indie cred. Yeah, right, just is like, oh, I need Oh, this is great. I'm gonna do a real artistic movie. And he's struggling with the trade offs that he has to make to do that to go down that route. Fanning is wonderful in the role. She's like she can She's like, do I do it in an accent because you know, this is aw and he insists that he doesn't have to, but then she wants to try it and she can feel like there's something deeper in this film that is not that I'm not doing. And the end of the movie is wonderfully heartwarming. It's an it's like The Secret Agent in that you don't kind of understand what it is about until you get maybe two thirds of the way through the movie, and then when you realize and when it hits you like oh wow, my real really beautiful. It doesn't excuse the fact that he again is such a piece of shit Dad, But like you know, anybody who's alive and who's hurt anyone, it grapples with can you get can you forgive yourself? Can you can you make it up to the people you hurt somehow, you know, even if you can't make it right, can you make can you explain yourself and can you listen to them about their feelings about how they were affected by what you did? And can you move past it in some sort of way with what time you have left? And it's a It's an incredible movie, very very beautiful. You know. It's one of my favorite, I think of all time now movies about people making movies. You know, even though it's.
Speaker 2: Oh we love it about love making a movie.
Speaker 1: I love that and I would urge people to watch it. It's great. I think you can rent it now, Like The Secret Agent, it's very rentable. And again it's like it it stretches from like nineteen fifty to twenty twenty five and weaves between those those timelines in a way that makes you feel the weight of a person's life and how it efects for lives that come after. It's a great movie.
Speaker 3: I love that so much. Yeah, I mean what, We've had such an unbelievable year so far. Aside from even just the ones we've mentioned, there's so many incredible movies we have yet.
Speaker 2: To talk about.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I've seen it already. It's absolutely heartbreaking, but I cannot. I feel like it's a duty that we.
Speaker 2: All have to watch it. The voice of.
Speaker 3: Hind Rajab I've really actually watched it, but I'm gonna go see on Saturday night a Q and A with the director. That movie's just unbelievable. There's an incredible movie that's coming out soon called My Father's Shadow, about a dad who kind of unexpectedly spends a day with his two sons, and it is just an unbelieva I wouldn't want to say more than that, but it's that movie really just like knocked it out of me. Like there's so many great movies that are outside.
Speaker 2: Of the ones that we love and talk about every single week on this show.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a quick break to work.
Speaker 2: And we're back, Jason.
Speaker 3: Any other movies you've seen and want to shout out or that you're really excited to see.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to see I want to see the movies that we've talked about today that I have.
Speaker 2: It's m hmm.
Speaker 1: I will definitely see Left Handed Girl this weekend. Yeah, I think I'm very excited to see that. I'm going to see a screening of One Battle after Another with Bincio Toro tonight at the at Vidiots. Another story, by the way, which seeks to wretches intergenerationally is and is I think story wise, at least a large part of the story is a kind of baton handoff from one generation to another.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's our theme for our Oscars season this year. I think you've really tapped into something very interesting that Jason.
Speaker 2: I mean, isn't that also, Ben just Doomsday will be.
Speaker 4: Trying to do the.
Speaker 2: Like I guess it's.
Speaker 1: Six What Avengers dos Day is like? What is like not just an action masterpiece but one of the great art films in our time?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 3: I would actually, I'm like, honestly, for all, look dude, how funny would it be like Pta has been annoying me on this press store let's say that. But I would say, hey, look man, let that man make an Avengers movie because he made a movie One Bottle after another is an engaging action flick with very interesting politics and incredible direction. So there is a space, I believe for an art house MCU movie.
Speaker 2: Who will be the first one to make it?
Speaker 3: You can argue with me, Michael Giacchino has already already maybe mostly maybe something Chloe tried. Obviously I'm a big but again it's still a blockbuster movie. Who's gonna make the Avengers movie that costs six thousand dollars high a share maker?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, just like the IP alone, I think.
Speaker 3: Will I know, I'm like, as long as Marvel lets me make it, then I'll just I'll take the cost.
Speaker 2: I'll eat the cost.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the other thing I would say is like, if you like listen, I guess there's a world in which if you have Paramount, you will now have all.
Speaker 3: You will have.
Speaker 1: You will have six of six of ten platforms, like all bundled into that. But I would really recommend the Criterion Channel if you don't just have it, and if you have.
Speaker 3: The money to spend yet it is the streaming service that I have to pay for every month now I have it, I will never go back.
Speaker 2: They curate it unbelievably.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable, and the depth of movies. This is the thing you can become a You can if you want to become literate about movies, about the development of movies, about international movies, not just like movies that come out here, but the history of international cinema as well. There's all these wonderful documentary features in their interviews with filmmaker I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say they have.
Speaker 3: They put a lot of the Criterion back matter from the DVDs and Blu ray release is onto the service. So if you're watching a movie that they put out on the Criterion Channel, you can access the special features. But what really blew me away that I was not expecting because I only got it recently to watch Megadoc.
Speaker 4: That was like the first time I got it right, So silly, so silly, And but the thing that blew my mind is the curation they have that is not in the Criterion Channel. So you can go on there and yeah, you can watch you know, every Charlie Chaplin movie or every Verner Herzog movie, but well not everyone, but a selection. But you can go on there and you can also watch like an eighties zerotic thriller curation that they've found or you know, I watched they had an incredible black debutantes, like kind of Ye Female Debuts.
Speaker 3: There was a movie I think it was just called The Video Store. I haven't been able to stop thinking about. It's legitimately like one of the best movies I've seen, and I would never have seen it if it wasn't on Criterion. You can also watch classics like The Waterwork, Melon Women and stuff, so it has everything. I had avoided it for a long time because I think the Criterion collection itself, as much as I spend a lot of money on it and I love it, is very myopic and who it chooses the streaming service is not.
Speaker 1: It is amazing so broad. It's instance right now. There are a number of curated collections. One of them is Stunts. If you love great stunts. It has includes the movies The Road Warrior, Bullet Face Off, to Live and Die in La the General, and more so. It stretches from silent movie era to like modern day. There is the previous two Wuthering Heights movies are there in a collection for you to see by.
Speaker 3: The way, guys, both are incredible. It's the original, classic, most well known one, really good William Wiler Uki the William Wiler one. But there is also the other version, which I believe is the best, most.
Speaker 1: Paul, I completely agree. Creditable, directed by Andrea Arnold, starring the in my mind, very underrated.
Speaker 4: Let's do a Class Scolardario video episode because she's under rated Skins from.
Speaker 1: Coins, Skins Legend kaias Sculadario and James Houston, and I agree with you. I think it's the best one and kind of by far, like oh no, by far.
Speaker 3: It's the first one where they cast a black person as Heathler.
Speaker 2: It's a good class one. Well let's talk about him the bad.
Speaker 1: That's why you've never o but they put him. They put him in makeup.
Speaker 3: But like they we also you get the true ending of the movie, which is very cont the book, which is very controversial. It's the only version I've seen that makes you feel as desolate as you feel when you are a teenager hanging out on those moors, which.
Speaker 2: I did as a lot as a kid because my grandma lived near there. So it is so good. Yeah, Jason, I'm so glad you brought that up. It's such a great investment, guys.
Speaker 1: I think it's an incredible investment.
Speaker 2: If you love movies, and that's the reason you stream.
Speaker 3: This is why I pitch everyone spend ten ninety nine a month on Criterion or get the year for ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 2: And we are not. By the way, we couldn't even get into the Criterion collection truck, so we are not.
Speaker 1: We all panel my nose for this. But I wanted to say, here's the movie.
Speaker 3: That would You Be and You, which is free and you basically can cover all of cinema, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: Jason, what's your number one movie?
Speaker 1: Cut on Cut by the Tides China twenty twenty four movie from China, and it is a it's it's so hard to really describe it. Ga took like b roll and footage that wasn't used in his other movies and put it together in this dream like almost fashion that chronicles the rise and development of China through you know, the the nineties to the two thousands, and you just watch everything change and beautiful.
Speaker 2: Beauty, similar vibes.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, guys, I can't tell you. Criterion and two B that's the two that I live and die by. Everything else's dress for work. But yeah, Jason, I'm so happy and March a little bit chill. Maybe we'll get to talk about more cool movies.
Speaker 1: Or the next episode of Extra Vision. We're talking about a favorite fantasy movies that aren't. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.