Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh that's just you.
Speaker 2: I am all in town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hello, alright, we're talking Season one, episode twelve, Double Date, which aired January eighteenth, two thousand and one. I Rune, Rune is Rune.
Speaker 3: It should have called this episode double double Date, right because it was it was Yeah, it Suki's and it was Lanes.
Speaker 1: Or if they just named it roone.
Speaker 2: Man, he gets more annoying every time I watch this up, Like the things that he says to Jackson outside of her house, I'm like, is this real? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah he was. He was definitely over the top. Yeah, but in a comic way, Like yeah, I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I really liked this episode. But my bones pick with it is I just don't know if, like why would Rory think Todd.
Speaker 1: And Lane would work?
Speaker 2: Like I just felt like it was weird because you met Todd and you're like, Todd doesn't seem like he'd be Dean's friend, Like they didn't seem like they had anything in common. And then I'm like, this was just such a random pick of a character. It's not even the actor, it's like the character itself. I'm like, why would Lane go for this guy? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was just one of those things like in high school, the physical attraction comes first, and so I think Wayne just thought this guy was so cute that she just assumed, Okay, we're gonna be a great couple because Kim.
Speaker 2: But like it's not like it's the first week of school, like they've she's probably seen him enough or knows kind of about him.
Speaker 1: That yeah, not all there, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, but but I did. I did respect at the end when Laura I went to talk to missus Kim. I feel like, you know, Laura, I was left out of the loop on it.
Speaker 1: So I just thought it as a parent, it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, And I appreciated that she tried to gently point out to missus Kim that being so strict with your child could go the other way and have a negative consequence, Like she knew. Missus Kim was coming from a place of wanting to protect her daughter, but as Orla knows, when you try to control your kid sometimes at backfires. So I thought that was a good scene too.
Speaker 2: The line about throwing away the key and the skins like mine's still in the kitchen was so good.
Speaker 1: She's like, I didn't throw away the key.
Speaker 3: The key it's in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: But I didn't really have anything.
Speaker 2: I know you probably have a bunch, but I didn't have anything. But like in the background that I point out except for the fact of the piano and I was still there.
Speaker 3: The piano's still there. I did not see the clown pillow.
Speaker 1: And not nope, not in this one well, one.
Speaker 3: Thing kind of a bone, I guess, a minor bone to pick. Was a scene where they were getting ready for the date and Suki comes down the stairs and Lorla I asked her because this is supposed to be January, right, and Laura I says, what happened to your coat? And you know, she got all tangled up in it or whatever, and Laura I says, I'll get you something and then she brings her like this totally saw through skinny, Like how is that going to replace a coat in January in Connecticut?
Speaker 4: I didn't think that was And.
Speaker 2: Also the way she was like this is beautiful and I'm not saying it was ugly. I'm just like it's just a shawl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean, it was a weird kind of fashion statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did like the pink on her, pinkish reddish the outfit. I did like it on.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought she looked really cute. Yeah, and the makeup and everything was cute. Another question, going back to Todd and Lane for a second, So four of them are supposedly on this double date. Why weren't they together at the movie theater? Like, they weren't standing in line together, they didn't sit together.
Speaker 1: I thought that was they were in the same vicinity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they were like people standing between them when they were in line, Like, isn't that kind of the point of a double date is like four of you, and so it kind of takes the pressure off a little bit. I just thought that was weird that they.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you think about it then, comparing to so Lorelei and Sukie's date, I was like, by the end when they were in the diner and they're like, should we go bowling or whatever? Like then she finally speaks up, I'm like, so it took four hours to get to like this when they finally realize they need to speak to each other and this not a.
Speaker 1: Date like in my head.
Speaker 2: I was like, where did Jackson think bringing run was a good idea at all?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, like when did he at least okay?
Speaker 2: If it from the very beginning when he starts talking about Laurai at her house, I'm like, you should have just ditched him the head, right, and then at the restaurant you should have ditched him.
Speaker 1: Then why'd he come all the way to Luke?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you wouldn't. Like if I was in that situation and I had a date scheduled, but then my relative came to town and I knew I wasn't going to be able to ditch the relative, I would try to reschedule the date. Like I wouldn't try to I wouldn't be looking for for a double date situation or trying to find somebody to go out with my cousin.
Speaker 1: It didn't even seem like he was in town he was stuck.
Speaker 2: It was more like he's in town and it's my excuse to make I'm nervous to go on this date.
Speaker 1: That's how I took it, Like.
Speaker 3: I could see that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's.
Speaker 2: How I took it, like I'm nervous because they really didn't talk to each other the whole time they were talking about produce and nothing else, you know, until the very end, when you know, LOURAI goes at one point like are you on a date with me?
Speaker 1: Or like you didn't he haven't talked Dian.
Speaker 2: So I did love the moment between Louri and Luke though, Yes, that was so.
Speaker 3: Good that that flirting but not quite flirting, and just kind of that tension, that romantic tension between them.
Speaker 2: I did there was something I wanted to point out. And I don't think I've ever seen in Luke's diner before unless I'm wrong, but behind Laura I, when she's sitting at the counter, there's like some kind of shelf and then there are hangers, like clothing hangers in the diner.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't even notice that. I know, there's a coat rack in the corner.
Speaker 2: Oh, they were just hangers. There was nothing on them. And then they were like these like vases or jars. I can't remember what it is exactly. And then so those are set up and then on the end of this like rack there's just blue clothing hangars.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, did someone leave it there? Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It was one of those things where I'm like, in a diner, it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is kind of weird. Yes, I didn't even notice that. That's a good that's a good call.
Speaker 2: Well, because now that I'm now that we're re doing this and I'm doing this with you, I sometimes don't even look at the actors like I'm listening, but I'm actively looking behind them, and these blue clothing racks just got my attention.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why is it there?
Speaker 4: Now I'm gonna have to watch it again.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a good episode to watch again.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the moment between them and then I I like, how you know Laura, I just runs after with missus Kim Like it was kind of like at one point I was like, damn it, missus Kim, you interrupted something.
Speaker 1: I like that Laura Lai was a.
Speaker 2: Mom, and you know, I think it was like very gentle parenting. But she was like, you can't lie to me like it was. It wasn't like in a bad way. I think that's why they have respect for each other. It worked the way she's she told Rory like, hey can't do that.
Speaker 3: Right, and she made her point, but then also kind of softened it, like when she says, I have to know where you are, especially when you're wearing my shoes, right, you know, humor into it, but still at the same time got the point across like that this.
Speaker 2: Was not yeah, But also I thought, like in a small town, like, didn't ory think that missus Cam would find out?
Speaker 3: That's what I was wondering too, because the movie theater is literally across the street from Suki's house, which is next door to missus Cam's. I mean it's literally a way so and they're sticking out on the sidewalk, So I don't know, maybe I sposed to realize they were that close.
Speaker 2: But you know, the more we go through this, like the episode, and we've now been on the lot as Stars Hollow so many times, especially with this last this last year when we did the the event at Warner Brothers, I have now I'm like, we know a little too much of like the background information to be like like, yeah, like the home is down this street, fourhouses down, you know what I mean. Yeah, you turn this corner and you go to Luke. It's like just very funny the way we already have it mapped down in our heads. When like I watch another show and I'm like, I don't know where that is. It looks familiar at someone's house, but I don't know, like the street signs and stuff around it, except you know, that area is where Pretty Liars was filmed, and I love that show and I watched it, but the way they did it, I still think of it like I'm watching it and I'm like, oh, that star's hollow.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And Universal has a similar with Steria Lane. Yeah, like a similar town area, and so sometimes it I'll see like a commercial or something.
Speaker 1: And I'll be like, wait, is that yeah?
Speaker 3: Is that Universal?
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, well, and then Warner has another section. If you do the tour, you usually see it, but there's another one that are offices and it's just homes like the street, and it looks like the Universal one.
Speaker 1: Like with Siria Lane, I think, do you know what I'm talking about? Yeah, So, but with Siria Lane's also you know, very well known, and I know those homes.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, look, yeah, anyway, I don't have anything else for this episode.
Speaker 3: If I see Oh, I wanted to point out I think we maybe talked about this in the very first run of the podcast, but in case anybody didn't know. Max Perlick, who played Rune in real life, was the son of Fran at the Bakery, the little old lady in Weston's Bakery, so he was they were mother and son in real life.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she passed away a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: She was in.
Speaker 3: Superstore.
Speaker 2: Also, Oh, you know, everyone loved that show and I never I had never even seen one episode.
Speaker 1: I feel like, maybe it's my next binge.
Speaker 3: It's good. I watched it during the pandemic. I binged the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Is it an hour or thirty minutes?
Speaker 4: Thirty minutes?
Speaker 1: I think, oh, okay, well I can blow through it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I have to go back and look. But it was. It was great. It's got a really good cast. Yeah, and Nico Santo's from that show is in the new show with Lauren Graham that's coming out next month. So there's like a ton of good.
Speaker 1: Good which I'm very excited for.
Speaker 3: I know, I keep seeing the reels, I'm like, I yeah.
Speaker 1: I Also, I don't know if you had anything else.
Speaker 2: But I also wanted to mention so recently I took a work trip and we went to Carmel by the Sea and we stayed in this really cute in and it was like twenty rooms and I walked into the lobby and I was like, this is Dragonfly In. Like it wasn't Idad, but it was the same vibes of like they were comfy couches and like they'd do breakfast every morning and everyone would be in that little area and I'm like, oh, this is like the you know, the dining area. Yeah. I was like living my Gilmore girl's life every morning at that hotel.
Speaker 1: It was very charming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love those quick places like that. We stayed in a place like that in San Francisco. I can't even remember the name of it. This was like twenty years ago. It was a friend's wedding, but it was the same kind of thing. It was like just very in like it was an old building and it was just very like an in feeling and it.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, and it was fun because we went with we went with a group for work and out of the twenty rooms, we had twelve of them.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And so it made me think of like when Loralai would have like you know, like a wedding party and like everyone's staying there.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, we all would just open the door and be like, hey, it's like being in the dorms. Yeah literally, yeah, so way nicer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, it was so much fun. I was selling you before the zoom though. It was very cold, so but it was very charming with the beautiful courtyard.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the California coast in the winter is not warm.
Speaker 1: No, no, especially with the wind.
Speaker 3: Yeah. One other thing that always gives me anxiety when I watched this episode, So maybe my fellow anxiety friends will recognize this. The scene in Luke's diner, she says she makes some comment to him about, you know, can you bring us three cheeseburgers? And then he gets out the deck of cards and they start playing poker with and he hasn't started the cheeseburgers, and this bothers me. I'm like, go start the food before you come back and play.
Speaker 1: Cards, right right right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He literally yeah, she was like she ordered it, orded it, and he's like, all right, well we're playing it.
Speaker 2: We're playing a game, and like how long would it have gone if miss him didn't walk.
Speaker 3: In every time? I He's gonna go start those cheeseburgers, and yet he never does. That's it, That's all I got.
Speaker 2: Oh man, all right, Well, the next episode is season one, episode thirteen, Concert Interruptus, which aired February fifteenth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 4: And Meeting Adjourn.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com