Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, twenty eight, episode four of Daily's I Guys Day production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness. This is a bad podcast to sleep too. I realize sometimes they are like podcasts that I'll just like put on.
Speaker 2: I'll be falling asleep. We scream too much.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody's sleeping this podcast natunately.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you can't. But we can sleep into the news, you creeping fascism.
Speaker 1: No. Should we do a like one episode a week.
Speaker 2: Where we just like, gotta this the sleepy episode. Yeah, sleep, we can try, We can try.
Speaker 1: It's Thursday, March seventh, seventh, seven, twenty twenty four, which of course means.
Speaker 2: Oh you don't, Oh you didn't know. It's a National Slam the Scam Day. I guess it's about consumer It's Consumer Protection Week, National Serial Day, shout out Kelloggs man Cereal for breakfast, oh, you know, for consumers under pressure rather than saying poverty, National Crown Roast of Pork Day, very specific, National Hospitalist Day, National Flapjack Day. And March seventh, obviously the twenty second anniversary of my dad leaving my mom. Oh wow, remember that when we called him that one? Yeah, yeah, that was weird. Was that was that like the first two thousand and two? Wow? Oh that was like the first Yeah, I think it was like the first year first second year anniversary. Yeah, yeah, that was fucked up. Everybody's doing great, though, everybody's doing great. My mom, my dad, We're all fine. We're off. That's right, So shout out, shout out to time, heal the Woman.
Speaker 1: My name is Jack O'Brien aka font New Softest. So let me press on that. Don't call of the void. I'm a monster. I'm going to hell. Oh, Finn to know that is courtesy of the Lake Rogers on the discord. Uh, he said he's not proud of this one, but he's a little proud of that one. You can tell it and what and we're pride.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I just want to press on that damn thing because I'm a sick fuck. Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 2: It's Miles Gray, straight off Lakersom, Boulevardist, the Lord of Lakersham, the Great from me one to eighth and also the Showgun with No Gun. Thank you so much for having me again, Jack. I know we go show by show whether or not I'll be the co host, but yeah, thanks again for having.
Speaker 1: Me gun no Showgun with no gun because gun people have gun problem problem.
Speaker 2: You got guns, you got gun problems exactly, you don't need no guns.
Speaker 1: Well, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat, a car seat in this case by a very funny comedian who has a new comedy album out on Blonde Medicine called Feeling Myself.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling myself.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling my feeling my Please, welcome to this show, Emily Vanda, Welcome.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: I feel bad? I don't have a too long AKA. I didn't know I too Yeah, prepare a jingle.
Speaker 2: It's okay. You know some some people have them. Most people don't, to be honest, So you know you're you're you fit right in with everybody else. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like people who've been on a dozen times and are like, I don't know on board. Well, we'll give this a shot. How are you doing? So you're coming to us from a car in Michigan.
Speaker 3: That's right, from my roots. Yeah, yeah, I'm visiting. I'm live in San Francisco, but I'm on a little like travel sabbatical with my kids for the spring. So in Grand Rapids to pick up my mom and then we're head to Ireland tonight.
Speaker 2: So whoa were you just in Cuba?
Speaker 4: I was just in Cuba, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like, wait, you are EVD all over the place. Okay, rack up those miles. What are you doing? What are you doing in Ireland? Oh?
Speaker 3: It's been on my bucket list and I you know, I've got two kids. We've got to do, like the car seats and everything. So I thought, what's what seems like a chill, relatively safe and relaxed trip. Plus Ireland has been I don't know, I've been. It's been on my bucket list for a while. So yeah, I'm excited to see some castles, drink some beer, maybe get rained on, see some cliffs, hopefully not.
Speaker 4: Fall off them.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, all of those things are happening. Not much besides those things, but all of those things will happen in Ireland. Sea castles, drink beer, get rained on sea cliffs.
Speaker 2: If you go on the West Coast and you gotta have a spice bag. That's the thing I always want to try, is the spice bag. What's the spicy spice bag? Is like Irish street food?
Speaker 1: Are you confiering Ireland with the planet from Dune? Oh, I think you're thinking of I think you're thinking of a spice bag.
Speaker 2: No, you don't. Ever you never heard of a spice bag. It's like it's like fries and like, like just google spice bag. It's like it's an Irish takeaway thing or at a Chinese takeaway. You get it. But I always see I'm always into like regional street food, and like I always even like they people big up the spice bag and.
Speaker 1: It sounds like something that John McLain would call Hans Grew. We're in the TNT cut of Diehard. Why don't you go grab yourself your spice bag yet?
Speaker 2: No, it's real street food, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Emily. We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell the listeners a couple of the things we're talking about from the news. We're gonna you know, we talked about Super Tuesday on yesterday's episode. We're gonna just take a little bit deeper look into the numbers, because Uncommitted had a big day, big day, Big Super Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Put the smash on Dean Phillips so bad you drop out.
Speaker 1: They're like, not this guy, but also not the big guy either.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about the ai were artwork that is being used to make Trump look like he's good at the cookout.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, spoiler alert, he is not. He is not. It turns out.
Speaker 4: Turns out Trump means a spice bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah bag for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yet lousy spice bag. We will talk about the German Man who got vaccinated over two hundred times and shit. And we'll talk about all Stora, which is like a online bookstore. Rupe Paul has partnered with them, and it is it's just like a fucking you know, a scam. It's just rott economy, as we talked about on an episode earlier this week.
Speaker 2: A lot of interesting a lot of interesting titles on offer there. We'll have to dive into what you can buy on that.
Speaker 1: It's just a drop shipping operation, all of that plenty more. But before we get to any of that bullshit, Emily van Dyke, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 3: Oh, I would say my recess search history is how many poops per day?
Speaker 4: Four year old?
Speaker 3: I'm really on the poop tracking life, yeah, with my kids, because we just got back from Cuba, and so I'm like, how many poop?
Speaker 4: There's too many? You know, I don't know if we got some sort of intestinal thing or we're just I don't know. So that's that's pretty standard.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you're you're wondering if there's too many, like you're right now, You're like, yo, you're blowing it up pretty frequently right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She does this thing where as soon as I sit down to dinner, she's like, I have to go right now, So I have to abandon the dinner that I've made or bought and I have to go wait in a bathroom with her.
Speaker 4: She likes to talk.
Speaker 3: She's aries, you know, so she's really into the poop talk. So I'm like, I can't. It's it's it's a lot. It's a lot of times per day to be interrupted. So I'm like, is how many times?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is it? Is there a No? I feel like I have a like a little bit over one year old, and I was like, oh, let's do this doing a lot of shits, even more and more. But then it's like there's really no number. They're like, no, if shit's working, that's just yeah, don't worry about it. Sometimes it can bear in one day or none for a couple of days, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it turns out there's only two few ships, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah that you don't want to You don't want to get into that business.
Speaker 2: That's a nasty business, the too few ships. Yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like the deep thoughts from my kids. I have a six year old and a seven year old, and the deep thoughts come out when they're taking a shit.
Speaker 2: They want to they just want.
Speaker 1: To like ask me questions about the universe and like, wow, what goes on outside of like after the universe, what's on the outside of that?
Speaker 2: Wa? Wow? Like bro, that's for freshman year of college for you to figure that part out. Bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My daughter's birthday is on the solar eclipse, so I'm gonna have to go into like planets, the moon, the whole thing. I get. I mean, we've gone over it, but this is going to be very real.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try to swing the solar eclipse as her birthday celebration, like the planets and the sun and the moon did this for her turning five. So yeah, I don't know. I don't know if Party City has a solar eclipse.
Speaker 2: Pack the kid. Yeah, right, right, right, man, We're never going to get a good solar clips this one. It's like, I feel like, right over Paducah, Kentucky, you gotta travel for I know, I might have to go to Columbia, South Carolina, Nashville, Lincoln, Nebraska, Salem, Washington is probably the closest place I could catch it. Damn oh wait, no, no, that was the different one. No, no, it's the April eighth one, because I'm guessing what time about the April eighth one? Yeah, yeah, that one was if you and Dallas, Little Rock, Paducah, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Syracuse, Burlington, Vermont, it's coming for you straight over.
Speaker 4: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna try to talk my mom to go down to Indianapolis and catch it. That's where a lot of my friends live.
Speaker 2: I would love to see, man, I've every time. Remember what was it in twenty seventeen, right when we first started recording the show, that happened, and we saw like the clips of the eclipse when it just goes straight.
Speaker 1: Down and looked straight up at the Yeah, at the setup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's my that's my Google search.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's it.
Speaker 1: What uh? What something you think is underrated right now?
Speaker 4: Women's rights.
Speaker 3: I thought we had women's rights locked in when I was on the come up in my twenties or early thirties, I was like, we are really crushing it on women's rights right now. No, I didn't know. I didn't know that this could all get taken away so fast. We got we're fighting for abortions, and we're fighting for we got no paid maternity leave, we have no affordable childcare. I mean, we're people are saying IVF embryos are kids now.
Speaker 4: It's I didn't realize.
Speaker 3: And then you've got all the microaggressions being a mom right now, traveling with my kids still, all the microroggressions like what's this mom doing with her two kids out in the airport? Get your get your trash ass back home and cook and clean and silence where we don't have to see. It's like it's all the microaggressions, plus the expectations that you have to be like beautiful and effervescent and well dressed, and you get no child care and you get low wages. I'm just like, come on, I thought we were I thought we were past this. Now we're just heading back.
Speaker 2: Yeah in America. Yeah huh yeah, we're just talking to about how Joe Biden also like just can't straight up be like yeah, man, like we're gonna figure this out, rather than being like, you know, I'm not. We talked about this two episodes ago. He's like, I've never been supportive. You know, it's my body. I can do what I want with it. It's like, don't say that. Yeah, it's actually the Lord's It's.
Speaker 3: So interesting because if we were if we were forcing Joe Biden to like donate part of his liver to save a life, which would basically be the same thing using somebody's body to keep another person alive, he would be like, oh, no, you're not coming for this liver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're going to force me into a liver surgery.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, have you seen the scar?
Speaker 2: I'm not getting that scar? No, no, no, I'm going to the beach. I'm going to the beach this summer. That's right. Yeah, you also have a Sky on Paw Patrol.
Speaker 3: Oh man, this is this is a deep cut. I don't know if you guys are with the Pop Patrol. Maybe you are because you have kids. Man, all right, Paw Patrol, you got it all right. So I don't know why I've been watching so much Pop Patrol with my stun. But Sky, I think is like one of the only the only or one of the only girl characters, but the only one there.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's one more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's like a smurfet type division. Like it's that's right, one girl or like maybe maybe another one.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Chase is the main dog or whatever. He always he kind of gets all the action, but he is always like hetering out on the courage, like he's like, I'm gonna go save it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I can't.
Speaker 3: And then Sky's like, I got it, you know, let me go up there and save the day. Sky is always handling business. She has no fear, she has no excuses, and chases up there, getting all the all the action, and then they gotta then they gotta make him feel better, like that's Okay, Chase, we all get scared. It's like Sky doesn't get scared. Skuy's out there in the airplane saving the day. I'm just like, man, not even Sky can get the get the you know, the accolades that she deserves.
Speaker 4: It's hard for me to watch.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on, and it said it's the guy. It's the cop. That's fucking cab does include Chase. But yeah, we have established that in this house, we do believe a cab doesn't.
Speaker 1: Twitter is Twitter, it's not X and a cab does include Chase. Those are the two things on our yard sign every day.
Speaker 2: Oh and also meta Facebook is we will never call meta our Facebook meta to be fair, nobody else will either. Yeah, yes for sure.
Speaker 1: Also just from like a strategic standpoint, like Sky is your your like problem solving group has a fucking air force, Like it has a clumsy a clumsy fireman is like one of the dogs, Chase, who's just yeah, a cowardly police officer. So just a police officer. Rubles got tool, Rubble's got tools. But then they have air force, like that would be that is your best weapon. That is that is the leader of your pack. Yeah, is the one who can fly, who can control the skies? Yes, but yeah they underrate because of women's rights.
Speaker 4: You know, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think, man, Yeah, get your son off that paw patrol. You know what I mean, we need that copaganda, you know. Put him onto something new. Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 3: And his and his little buddy. What's the what's the boy's name? I was like, man, you know what your little buddies. It's a it's a bad situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I always yeah, I always want to call him Chase, but he's not chased. But yeah, there's like a human twelve year old boy who is the leader, and I do not trust that guy.
Speaker 2: Is that boy white? Yeah? Oh hell no, bro, Yeah he's he's the one pulling all the strings getting the cops to do things. Okay, well maybe that is good for a child to see it, to be like, no, this is actually this give you an idea, you know what I mean, how how shit works?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he runs like the call center or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like nine children.
Speaker 2: It's in this show to a job.
Speaker 1: The mayor is a woman of color and is a bumbling fool.
Speaker 3: Oh no, but the mayor in the movie is like a white guy with the top hat who says things like an unqualified politician, what's the worse that could happen?
Speaker 2: Oh wow? Oh really that's where they went.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's where they went. Let's getting political in the in the in the in the Mighty Pups movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, I missed the movie.
Speaker 1: Thank god we had aged out by that time. What is What's something? And and that is also? Yeah, you're also here to promote the Poptrol movie an addition to.
Speaker 4: Your the sale.
Speaker 1: Just go through my affiliate link and that would be great.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: I think WiFi is overrated.
Speaker 2: On it.
Speaker 3: I think I think that's like a two thousand to twenty ten thing. And I think we've I think I don't even know why people are still so obsessed with Wi Fi. Like people go to your house, like, what's your WiFi password? Like was it two thousand and nine? What do you mean my WiFi password for? You know, like this, just stop stop with the Wi Fi, got unlimited data on your phone, break up with comcasts. That's been a toxic relationship your whole life. So just right, it's over. Whyfi's over?
Speaker 4: Let it go?
Speaker 2: It's over. We got it. We have so many wireless forms of communication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a hot spot on your phone. Welcome to twenty twenty four. Break up with Wi Fi is old boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you also have dating apps, not feeling data apps.
Speaker 3: I honestly, I mean this is this is a an unpopular belief. I'm not feeling the internet really at all.
Speaker 2: No, that's that's becoming popular. I think the more people learn about like how technology and tech companies operate, Like what the fuck are we letting these fucking jokers dictate everything? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I feel I feel I feel like I don't know if I'm like a conspiracy theorist, but I'm like, wait a second, So my phone has facial recognition and it has my thumbprint and ancestry dot com in twenty three and meters has my DNA, right, and then YouTube has my voice and my face. Like I don't really get how I'm like a person anymore, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, I think even when.
Speaker 3: We uploaded all of our picture or our selfies to like show see how we would look if we were old, you know, like I was just like we are just uploading all of our faces to catalog for some sort of evil person.
Speaker 2: It could be funny like yeah, like how sort of like copyrights sort of like fade after one hundred yearss Like oh yeah, man, I can do whatever with your likeness because they've been dead for a hundred years. And then like, yeah, we become the new avatars of I don't know, maybe I'll saw Doctor Pepper chewing gum or something. I don't know, but yeah, that'd be cool.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that would be that'd be great after like Doctor Pepper commercials.
Speaker 4: I love Doctor Pepper.
Speaker 3: No, but dating apps are They're horrible. Everybody everybody hates them. I mean they they barely work. It's just like it's just leftovers. And everybody that's single is like, oh you on the apps. It's like something you don't want it. You don't want it, you know. So I wish we could like reinvent like having a personality going outside interacting with another person with their personality and y'all have like regular chemistry.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, Well, because now it's like it's like, yeah, one company owns them all and it's like cridal like crypto too, or like the early days we were like, no, I met my wife or I'm at my partner on the dating I was like, oh really, and it's like, yeah it was. That was fucking eight years ago. They're like, not now, bro, it's different now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, Matt Cherry, people are trying to sell you crypto on there.
Speaker 4: It's getting real kidnappy.
Speaker 1: It's weird kidnappy. Jesus, that was not That was not an adjective I had associated with dating apps. Kidnappy, Chris, what does that mean? What how is it getting kidnappy?
Speaker 2: Like kidnapper vibes out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, before you go on a date, you have to like share your location with a friend, right, you know, kind of like you're starting end times and then yeah, people just action acting nuts.
Speaker 1: Right and like to get to make sure the person is who they say they are, and you know, make them like have a have a picture, like have the newspaper in front of them on the day, timing with them.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, that's right, amazing.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that sounds shitty, Emily, but it's great getting to know you a little bit better. We're gonna take a quick break and then we're gonna come back and talk about Super Tuesday.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back, and and the big winners of Super Tuesday were, of course, anybody who snagged free donuts as part of krispy Kreme's democracy campaign.
Speaker 2: Great, Holy shit.
Speaker 1: I'm always people are like and then like they'll tell you to rock the vote, and I'm always like, nobody's gonna fucking do that anymore. Like that was such a nineties ass like we're we live in a different world. Nobody's gonna be like, Oh, voting is so cool, let's hop on it. And then democracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still get all my voting tips from mud Honey. That's just because I remember how they rocked the vote that man Diddy was one of the biggest on the.
Speaker 3: MTV did a good job back with those spring break parties and my music videos. I mean, they had a little rock the Vote moment there in the late nineties early two thousands.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean, somebody's got to come harder than krispy Kreme.
Speaker 2: This is they sad, yikes.
Speaker 4: Krispy Kreme's only corporation defending democraties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they can't even be like unequivocal about it, Like what if we just call a democracy just kind of take this thing out of it. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: So funny to me that like rock bands were like rock the rock the vote like that. That's just like not a cool I get if you have the conviction to be like vote for this guy because or you know, like this this is a side that has beliefs that I subscribe to. But to just be like vote man, Hell yeah, it is like kind of funny. Yeah, that that was something we tried.
Speaker 3: It's kind of the message we need, though, Like you like music, what about voting? Have you ever thought about listening to music and then going to vote, no matter your belief.
Speaker 2: System, do something or donut? I don't know, you'll like donuts please?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Something unclear, Uh, whether or not customers had to choose between two stale terribles that everybody's already sick of, or they if they were got to, you know, pick their own. But Trump and Biden, predictably being the only options for the most part, did pretty well. Obviously, Nicki Haley we talked about did not do so well. So I guess Trump was not the only option. He was kind of the only option that people were picking, and so Nicki Haley.
Speaker 2: Has dropped out.
Speaker 1: But people are pointing to their wins on Super Tuesday and saying that they exposed some glaring weaknesses in both candidates electoral coalitions.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are been like with the amount of people that voted for Haley, it's like Trump's got a suburban problem, which I think has existed. There's been something that's been developing over the last few years anyway. And a lot of people too, like who voted for Haley or sort of like, I don't know what I'm going to do in the fall, so there's you know, but let's be real, I have a feeling they'll probably just be like, yeah, I guess I'll just vote for Trump again. And then with Biden, it was the uncommitted movement to vote uncommitted that was spreading a lot of people like it's probably just in Michigan. It's probably just in Michigan. No. No, if you look at the polling, a significant majority of Democrats want a cease fire, and the similar majority want the US to stop arming Israel like in the sixties, Like, it's not like sixty percentile. So I don't think it's that surprising that you saw these kinds of big turnouts or at least, you know, bigger than expected. Like in North Carolina, twelve and a half percent voted no preference, nine percent did so. In Massachusetts, ten percent voted uncommitted. In Tennessee and Colorado seven percent voted uncommitted or non committed as it's on their ballots. And like in other states, some people were said, hey, just right in ceasefire as a candidate, but those that's a little bit harder to sort of quantify what happened there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean uncommitted got nineteen percent in Minnesota. Like that's no, that's no joke.
Speaker 3: Give it up to Palaestinians and Arabs and dearborn that like put a path forward, like okay, we all are feeling the same way. This is an action that we're gonna do R And then it was like, all right, let's do that.
Speaker 4: You're right, we are.
Speaker 3: Let's let's express together where we're all at so that we can see it in percentages. And then you see Kamala Harris come out with her whackass immediate ceasefire dot dot dot dot.
Speaker 2: Or at least six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the next day, or at least spring break, yeah, yeah, yeah, at.
Speaker 3: Least at least through Easter so that we can all have our Easter egg hunts.
Speaker 2: Right and then get back to the terrible realities of what our foreign policy looks like. But I mean, I think it was something. The amount of people who voted uncommitted in Minnesota was I think, like larger than the margin that Hillary Clinton won by in twenty sixteen. So these aren't insignificant numbers. And I know a lot of people it's starting off as being like, we're sending a message that, you know, to do something if you want us to pull up in November for you, Joe Biden. But what the administration is going to do, it's still just very it's lackluster. It doesn't seem like it's actually taking into account what a lot of his own, you know, base of voters is saying. So we'll see, I'm sure we'll get some kind of you know, gesture towards a ceasefire. But i'd imagine these aren't. These aren't something they're looking at, and they can't just like laugh off and be like, ah, it's fine, it's fine, it's nothing. It's nothing, it's nothing. No, these are these are it's worth looking at. But there's also a lot of people like in the punditry class like it, don't worry about that. These people are just freaking out. And I think that's a really dangerous game to play because there are many people who are very deeply disaffected by what's happening or also affected by what they're seeing and what their government is having a hand in. So, you know, it feels like an easy win, you know, do the pullings right there for you, Joe Biden, over half of your of your base of voters is saying there's there's a right way to do things and maybe do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's such an easy out for him too, because even if he's like, y'all know me, I'm like the original pro Israel guy. You know, his speech goes back whatever forty years, you know, saying if we didn't.
Speaker 1: Have even Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: This is such an easy out where he's like, I don't if it were just me, I would be in Tel Aviv tomorrow, right, you know, hug and beebe. But my constituents, I mean, it's the easiest out. Like all you have to say is my constituents have voted, I'm gonna do that, and then yeah, I don't want to save democracy for four more years. Kind of maybe I don't even know if a full one to eighty would do it at this point, but yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it's hard to know. And I mean, I think for many people are who have watched it all unfolding Gaza in the West Bank, are somewhere truly well and done, like they're like, I fucking can't do this shit, like this is wild that we have a government that could look on at this ship and not do anything. And so I think there's definitely a group of voters who are deep. I don't like, I don't know how many can be won back, but shit, you better start trying, because if this threat to democracy is that large, then you need to look at who you need to win and begin to court those votes. Yeah, and not just be out here trying to can perform for voters that aren't going to bring you into the White House. But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Especially since we've been hearing about no handouts. We don't have enough money for loan forgiveness, we don't have enough money for mental health, we don't have enough money for X y Z, homelessness, housing, everything. We don't have enough money. You know, this is it, And we're like Oh, we've been sitting on built billions this many billions that could have gone to solve a million things and we don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the first this being the first Instagram daily genocide slaughter is a real uh yeah, It's been a real turn of the tides.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And there's a lot of reporting that like there's like there's gonna be such significant shift from the White House. But I think, like many things that we hear in politics, we'll believe it. Yeah. Yeah. And I think also tonight is the State of the Union address, that's a huge moment for Joe Biden to say something of consequence, whether or not he's just gonna be like fucking Trump, fucking wild y'all. Fuck have you seen what he said? He can't even talk. You better, you better say something about what's happening in Palestine or else you're gonna have a I don't know. It's a big operation. This is like one of the most it's a very consequential State of the Union, given how support is beginning to you know, look like it's you know, not fracturing completely. But he has a lot of shit he needs to begin to if he wants to write the ship. He has a moment to do that tonight. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Trump, I mean, if you're just paying attention to what people who support him are putting out there on social media, I mean, this guy's got a coalition. Oh I got the coalition building man. As he said, there's some pictures where he is just surrounded by black Americans who just look like they just couldn't be happier.
Speaker 2: They're so happy. As he said, he's like, I believe the black voters will support me because I'm also being oppressed and persecuted and going to jail. I was like, like the fucking take he had, and he's like an also sneakers also that part. But these AI images that are coming out, like it started like in the last week, this MAGA radio host and his like production crew posted some AI image of like Trump with his supposed black supporters. There's one group where it looks like he's surrounded by a group of black women who are damn sure not voting for Trump.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: This is all part of like an ongoing narrative that conservatives like have been really trying to drum up for like since Trump has been office, saying that like, you know, black voters are leaving the Democratic Party and are interested in the GOP, and they use these kinds of doctored and im there is another one with him like on a porch with some black guys. There's like a supposed black campaign volunteer, MAGA campaign volunteer. And it's wild because, like we've said, with AI, you just first look at the fingers and then look at the text because it's doing it's doing things like right now. In this version of like mid Journey and these other AI tools that people are using, they can't get fingers right, they can't get hands right. And whenever you see text, try and read the text because he's usually some garbled bullshit and in this one his hands are looking all wrong. There's people with like logos that don't make sense. In another version where the guy is talking to like a like a door to door, like a door knocker for the campaign, one dude has three arms. That's right, I miss you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, And like you know, there is a grain of truth in terms of like where support is going for Biden in terms of black voters, because there's been a twenty one percent drop in support from black voters and that's mostly young men that are driving that trend, and that's exactly who the Trump campaign and conservatives want to go after, because like, black women are not moving in that direction at all. So there's this BBC or investigation or story about like these images and what the effect is on black voters, and they wanted to see how receptive people were to the imagery, and most people who aren't on AI were like, oh cool, Oh I didn't know that. I didn't realize like that he was embracing the community like that. And then when someone told him, hey, this is fake, it's AI, they're like, oh, see, that's the thing about social media, Like you can't really believe that. But they said, but if I just if you didn't tell me that, I really wouldn't have known. And this other voter they spoke with actually said, when I hear messaging from the Biden campaign about how Trump is a threat to democracy, that doesn't really like, it doesn't matter because this person was already so disillusioned over the electoral process that that hardly moved the needle for them. And you know, you think about January sixth, that shit happened without the use of generative AI. They had that many people ready to fucking storm the Capitol without it, and now we're mixing foreign influence campaigns and AI bullshit can cause obviously some very very real problems in the next eight months. But yeah, it's uh, it's we're beginning to see it bubble up more and more.
Speaker 1: It's just wild that they had to revert to AI like that they couldn't find enough.
Speaker 2: Well, what's the same five black people that you always see at the rallies. There's the one guy who like he's got like the perm like in a ponytail kind of thing. There's always that dude who has the blacks for trial. Like I like, they're almost like characters that I recognize now. I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, there's there. He's there for another one.
Speaker 1: But I wonder how much of this is just him not wanting to be in a picture like with you know, cause like there's got to be. He's one of the most famous people on earth. Like you can find five people who will like be in a picture with him? Sure, Yeah, Like, it's wild to me that they're having to use AI to.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if it's generate this. I don't know if it's like that because it's not coming from the campaign, right, It's coming from supporters, shit posters who are now just like, oh yeah, I can get in the misinformation game myself and maybe affect presidential race because it all happens. Like the guy who posted it, this DJ he posted on his Facebook and it got a ton of engagement. And then when they asked him like, yo, what what are you doing, like you know it's fake, he was basically like, this's not my problem if they think it's real. He said, quote, I'm not claiming it's accurate. I'm not saying, hey, look Donald Trump was at this party with all these African American voters. Look how much they love him. If anybody's voting one way or another because of one photo they see on a Facebook page, that's a problem with that person, not with the post itself.
Speaker 1: So by creating an image that shows a thing, I'm not claiming that that thing happened.
Speaker 2: No. But and if you believe it, that's your it's like your problem, man. Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: A no account We got no account ability. There's no no accountability to anybody.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, AI is scary, but a lot of people do vote just somewhat they scroll through social media.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because if you're not looking at an image like full sized, you you're gonna you'll probably miss the details. Or if you're not as online as some people who's kind of become savvier at looking at shit and be like, oh, this shit looks like AI, then yeah, a casual scroll on a fucking timeline or whatever Instagram will feed whatever you. Yeah, you'll probably just be like, oh shit, Okay, I guess I guess maybe things are moving in that direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah when they Trump is cool. Yeah, you don't have to take another look at this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the sneakers are ass. Has anybody wanted I think Fat Joe bought the Trump sneaker that anymore?
Speaker 4: So he has no business being in the sneaker game or any game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like we we He was just like I'm a collector, you know, and you're like, dude, put that shit down. There's not even a shoe worth having, Like who gives the book, But.
Speaker 1: If you put them on and like you could suddenly dunk in them. But it was like a monkey's paw curse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Mike kind of situation, but you had to be wearing the most just unacceptable shoe to dump looking shoe. I have a feeling though, the shoes are so poorly made that you will have some kind of career ending injury. Even if it did make you play, like, they'll probably just bust apart and then you roll your ankle.
Speaker 1: Like the way Zion Williamson, Like this guy is one of the best athletes ever. He cut so hard that his shoes just exploded one time. Yeah, Like if I just like stopped the way that I stopped, the same.
Speaker 2: Thing would happen.
Speaker 1: Shoe was just like first shadow, five different pieces.
Speaker 4: Don't you think this is my last thing?
Speaker 3: But I'm visualizing January sixth, twenty twenty five, where everybody storming the castle is wearing those ugly shoes, and I'm like they've been working on their marketing and branding for the past four years.
Speaker 4: Don't sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, But then but also they kind of got superpowers too because of the shoes, Like they're junking like fucking super Mario, like we're like over the fucking fence.
Speaker 1: He's like, what, let's take a quick break and we'll come right back, and we're back, and let's talk about this German man, a sixty two year old man in Germany went on a fucking vax spree. This is something we've joked about since the vaccine first hit, the idea that like we're just trying to get as many of them as we could. Yeah, hopefully this is not one of our listeners who just like with no sense of humor, who took that at face value?
Speaker 2: True Zeit gang, I.
Speaker 1: Love loves the Zeite. He has received two hundred and seventeen shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, started starting.
Speaker 1: Summer of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he went from June twenty twenty one to November of twenty twenty three. He said he was trying to get a shot every four days.
Speaker 4: Wow, what's not tracking him?
Speaker 2: They asked him, They're like, yo, what why did he Why did you do it? He said, for personal and private reasons. Like it wasn't even like you thought like maybe this guy was gonna be like, yo, I'm trying to be some fucked up batman villain origin story, but like on the right wing, and like the fucking vaccine made me like, oh, whoa zombie or whatever? No, and like, in fact, because of this story, this, like researchers at a university reached out and like he was like providing all of these like like samples and doing all this and helping them with analysis, and they're like, yeah, like I mean it really did nothing like good or bad. It's not like he had became super immune to COVID or he didn't have any adverse reactions. But like the guy did kept saying like he's like, but I never got COVID, And but the people are like, we can't say this way or that way that that's because you got vaccinated too hundred seventeen times. You might just be one of those.
Speaker 4: People like when you take too many vitamins.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, Yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Just like uncoordinated Walgreens.
Speaker 2: No, he was buying vials on like on his own. He was coping vials of the vaccine to like I guess have administered in private. But like, yeah, he did get Like it started out because he kind of drew the attention in like some kind of fraud case that I think was related to this, but then they didn't press charges and then they're like, I don't know, I guess, I guess do you, bro? But I think it's a good story to tell people who might be vaccine hesitating like, Yo, this dude got a two hundred and seventeen times Okay.
Speaker 1: Really in that way, he's doing the Lord's work. This is yeah, this is just viral marketing for the vaccine.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. Yeah. RFK Junior is in shambles right now reading the story.
Speaker 4: He's like, fuck, it's like two hundred vaccine doesn't happened.
Speaker 2: Oh just wait, He's like he will suddenly died. That will happen. The great Twitter trend that always happens when anybody has any kind of issue and then they like it was a bac to the vaccine, the vaccine, but yeah, no, that's what I got. David Bowie, right he died in twenty sixteen, Yeah exactly. Yeah, he was experimenting.
Speaker 4: Pre COVID vaccine, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm just I do though, I'm really I wish we'd get to the bottom of what the the why is for this, because that's just it's wild, Like clearly something's up with this guy. But I really, like I wish he didn't just like keep his response so sort of short to being like personal private reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in your business, you know what I mean, between me and.
Speaker 4: And God and my and my doctor.
Speaker 3: I think if people were so extremely anti vacs, it only makes sense that there's someone extremely pro vaxed, right right, just go for.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, like they have to. And maybe the guy was like, I'm getting this shit. I'm gonna get a vaccine every four But also, like I remember the first time I got it, I was like I had to lay down for like like a half a day. I was like, yeah, I'm watching and like I'm not doing ship so may or maybe this guy is like just really into feeling a little bit down from having a like his jabs or whatever, or maybe he just wasn't feeling and he's like I'm trying to feel what everybody else is.
Speaker 1: He like got the jab and like immediately starts nodding a little bit.
Speaker 2: You're like, what are you good? Yeah? Yeah, I'm sick, bro, Like, oh what do you what do you mean? He's like, I'm vack sick, Like I gotta get right, I need another fucking jab.
Speaker 1: Okay, alright, that Pfizer you got that pisor yeah, all right, let's talk all store? Uh yeah, very lazily named.
Speaker 2: Bookstore.
Speaker 1: That the way that they pitched themselves. They're like an online bookstore. That offers fair compensation to writers and.
Speaker 2: That's they that's admirable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm good. I would buy that. That's great.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: They are independent, author owned and also completely full of shit.
Speaker 2: No, we found this out.
Speaker 1: RuPaul is launching a Rainbow school bus that will distribute banned books to kids, and also partnering with Alstora in you know, selling their books, but the launch of Alstora has been riddled with controversy. Shoppers noticed that the site, which purports to uplift the voices of underrepresented groups including LGBTQ plus people, women, and communities of color, features a bunch of books by white supremacists and anti LGBTQ plus authors like Kirk Cameron and libs of TikTok's Shia Raychik.
Speaker 2: Yeah good, that's interesting. Wow, what happened? How what's going on? There's like so many translations of mind komf on there too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't know there were this many additions, thought I thought.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, they want to spread that message, I guess far and wide. And it's just wild. How like when they're pressed on it, they're like, oh oh oh, Like they didn't realize until people started pointing it out, and then like it seems it looked like certain titles began disappearing, and then they said, oh, we have like a flagging system now.
Speaker 1: That is community led. Oh great, great, it's on you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, with all these companies with social media. With Amazon, it's all about what we talked about with the Rod Economy episode. It's growth. They're just worried about getting as many users as users as they possibly can before they have any idea what to do with that number of users. And so they you know, if everything, if this is basically like a bookstore that is created and driven by the community, yeah, it's gonna be a fucking mess in the same way that like Facebook is a complete mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well they said that it's like, well, you know, when people flag a book, they're like, we want, we're not going to remove it, but quote the proceeds from flag titles to support the fight against book bands of diverse literature. That's where that's where it will go. And then like another when they asked again, there was like this sort of comment of like we're sort of like a library, you know, like where you need to be able to understand sort of ideologies of hatred to also educate. You're just like, Okay, wow, you're really doing this shit. Huh Like that's okay, well, that's that's a nice pr spin on it. But when you're launching this bookstore, you know, I mean, RuPaul's already revealed themselves to be like a big capitalist without really giving a fuck about like what it means as long as like they're getting paid. But yeah, it's like you said, this is what happens when you're just looking at like getting that just scalability. Man, just got to scale that shit, got scale, and yeah you get a few mind comps in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can't have you can't have an online bookstore without having fourteen editions of Mind comp Child's illustrated version, and you know it's it's really a mind boggling array of Mind's comp Yeah, but yeah, I mean, booksellers have pointed out that the reason why All Store has all these terrible books is because they're a drop shaping operation that simply ships books from a major book supplier, basically the same method that every bookstore uses to buy their books with no physical store or content curat.
Speaker 2: Ah. Okay, well yeah, get paid, get that check, get that check, just trying to get that check and get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Well, Emily Van Dyke, what a pleasure having you on the Daily Zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you, hear you all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me on. People can find my album Feeling Myself on anywhere they stream music Apple Music, Spotify, download on band camp. The label is Blonde Medicine. You can follow me on Instagram at Emily Van Dyke And yeah.
Speaker 4: That's it. I'm really excited about this album.
Speaker 3: I also have like a little new YouTube clip out if you want to see some video.
Speaker 4: But yeah, thank you guys so much for having me on a really I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's great having you.
Speaker 1: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying besides of course your album and special.
Speaker 3: I'm really liking Taylor Tomlinson's news special. I was able to catch her in Oakland when she was working on it, and I'm really just admiring her work ethic and the amount of content she's put out.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I'm just following her.
Speaker 3: Closely, Like, Okay, Taylor, I see you out there working and doing doing doing a lot, So yeah, she had me laugh at a lot in this last Netflix Netflix special.
Speaker 1: We see you all right, Miles, Where can people find you? What is the work of media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, find me at Miles of Gray wherever they got at Symbols. If you like basketball, and I know you do, check Jack and I out on Miles and Jackot Mad Boosties. That's her NBA podcast. If you like ninety Day Fiance, I talk about that shit too on four to twenty Day Fiance. That's the other podcast. And I'm also on not this week's Behind the Bastards, but the last two episodes Behind the Bastards with Robert Evans and Sophie Lickterman. Some tweets that I like, There's just one that I thought was really good. Oh yeah, this is from how Underscore Do Underscore? I underscore pdf at how do iPDF? It said, fitted sheet being taken out of the dryer, Like I have a secret, and a secret is your wet laundry wound up in it? Because I always A'm like, how the fuck does this shit happen? Every time? It's always in the corner of.
Speaker 1: The fitted sheet, always just a wet bought like that thing when you get it out is a weapon. Oh yeah, like that all your wet laundry in the like half semi dry fitted sheet and it's just yeah, crowded in there.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien tweet. I've been enjoying I've been enjoying those clips from the Surveys Cristyle marketing campaign from Star Wars. I don't know if you guys saw those. Basically when Star Wars debuted in the eighties, I think it was this marketing team in Peru, I believe, basically cut little moments of product placement into Star Wars. So like they'll cut open the tonton and then like four ice cold Surveys Cristals will like come out of the bottom of the tonton like it's crazy.
Speaker 2: All right, you got to shoo you kid that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the thick husband and father tweeted Servesa Crystal marketing team putting ads in Star Wars movies for the first time, and it's the clip from Back to the Future where he's like, I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love.
Speaker 2: It, because really being enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Also, mister Carter, just why in the fuck are Cereal bags not zip lock yet?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, mister Carter. Please, what is happening?
Speaker 1: Where are we at here?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeikeeist. We're at ze Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and website Daily zeik guys dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnote when we link off to the information that we talked about today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: You already know I was fucking slapping this one. This is this is the rapper co ko hh. But on on Spotify you'll probably search Yuki Chiba Chi b A and this track is called Team Tomo da Chi and it's just this Japanese rap song that's kind of blown up on YouTube, and I was like, yeah, this shit fucking goes hard. So I hope everybody's scheem Tomo dachi, which means Tomi means friends. Let's be team friends, okay, team friendly out here. Yeah, yeah, I love that. Yeah, it's like that.
Speaker 1: There's even some choreographed dance moves in this.
Speaker 2: Video is dope. It just kind of reminds you of like like a fun, sort of like Everybody on the Block kind of music video. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, we will link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Zeis Guys is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio w ap Apple podcast. Wherever you listen to your favorite shows, that is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we'll talk to you all then bye bye to