Speaker 1: Man, you got to check me out on the Bootleg keV podcast. Man, we just talked for a long time.
Speaker 2: Hey, before we start the episode, we're gonna remind everybody. Man, we got one of the biggest radio shows in the country, syndicated in almost one hundred cities all over. Shout out to iHeartRadio. All right, some of the latest cities that we've been able to add. Man, want to give a shout out to ninety three point nine the Beat in Honolulu. That's right, Hawaii, We over there going crazy. I also want to give a shout out Hot ninety eight three and Tucson. Shout out to Tucson going crazy. Also want to give a shout out to Wild ninety four one in Tampa going crazy. We just got Richmond. We also just got the good folks in Bakersfield at Hot one O four to seven. So we're going crazy on the radio with my partner James Andre Jefferson Junior for the Bootleg CAV Show. So make sure you tune in and you can listen anywhere on that iHeart Radio app. That's right, let's get into the interview Bootleg CAV Podcast. Man, one of the greatest rappers of all time. Hey, greatest performer in hip hop history.
Speaker 1: Hey tech nine, chech nine.
Speaker 2: What's up y'all? What's up? Brother?
Speaker 1: Oh Man? Good to be here, man, of course, I can't believe I'm here. I'm half fifteen hours from Australia.
Speaker 2: You were in Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow. I was only at home with my family for like six hours. Man. Then I had to get on the plane to come out here to shuit this video.
Speaker 2: I don't say people understand because I had to go to Thailand for Roland Love last year. That time difference is the worst.
Speaker 1: Australia is like a day ahead, right, you know what I'm saying. So when I was going on stage, No, when I was getting off stage, it was seven in the morning. For you know, when my wife wakes up for the kid, you know, so I would call her like eleven o'clock at night. It's like seven o'clock in the morning in casey right, man, it's.
Speaker 2: Horrible, It's horrible. Congrats on the baby, by the way, Thank you man.
Speaker 1: New Life, Man, New Life.
Speaker 2: You know what I love about your transparency through your music over the years, You've always been extremely open about open book. Yes, you're because with everything. There's a sacrifice, and your older kids had to really like wear the brunt of like you building this career. We see, yes, you being on the road. Yes, the rain is one of my favorite rest, sir. Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: Now they're like thirty years old now.
Speaker 2: You know, right, So for you to have a baby like now, like it's almost like you're in a different space.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: You know you're you're You're obviously a different person. You know, we all should be evolving, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, in my mid forties, I met I got it on my last album. It's a song called I Met a Morph. And what I realized is that that morph that I met in my mid forties kind of late, is maturity. You know what I'm saying. My maturity started, you know, really making me pay attention, and I wanted to start doing something different. I didn't want to start. I don't want I don't want to continue to share my energies, my bright energy and my Harnald energy with multiple women anymore. You know what I'm saying. It's like, you know, I've done it my whole life. Yea, and uh, and then do nothing but bring me strife. You know what I'm saying, or bring other people hurt.
Speaker 2: Short term gratification yeah, man, is usually when you get the short term gratification, it's at an expensive something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, you know what I'm saying. And I used to call it therapy. I need to have my therapy, you know what I mean. And that's just an ego thing. And uh, in my mid forties, I wanted to uh dial that back, you know. And I met my I met my lady who is my wife now, right when it was happening, you know. And she she she helped me. She helped the transition, you know what I mean. She helped the trans She helped me transition with the drinking. I'm four years sober now. She did it with me. When my doctor told me, if I keep drinking like I do, mister Kraboloo, You're gonna your heart's gonna explode. You're gonna you know what I'm saying. I'm like, Okay, I quit, you know. So she said, I'll quit with you because she knows, like, as a team, if one of.
Speaker 2: Us, if one of you guys is doing it's going to be it's almost impossible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so she she she helped me with that. She helped me with a lot of things in my life that I didn't know was out of whack, you know what I mean. And uh, we're we're evolving every day, man, you know what I mean, every second. And you know that's what Kanye said, I always find it. I always find something wrong. That's that's that's the part of evolving. It's part of life, you know what I'm saying. And uh, I figured and we we've been together, this is going on eleven years now, you know what I'm saying. So we got married in our tenth year, you know what I mean, last last June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've made my wife a couple of times. Man. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So we actually lived with each other for a while. And that's how I feel like people should do it. A lot of people, they say, wise man, say only foods jump in you know what I'm saying. But I can't help fall in love with you that A lot of people just jump into it and get married immediately before they learn different chemic levels about each other and you know things that Yeah, when.
Speaker 2: You live with someone, yeah, you have to kind of like you almost have to get to the point of like seeing each other at your lowest, Yes, so you can have that like understand that person on another level. So when you do get married, it's like, Okay, now that we've seen each other at our absolute lowest, or we know what each other's faults are, we know how to deal with each other, we know how to deal with certain arguments, certain exactly.
Speaker 1: I think people should take time to do that, and that's what we did. We took ten years now, not saying that she wasn't worthy of marriage in the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, you know what I'm saying, because she was, you know what I mean. But we have to go through ups and downs, and we indeed had ups and downs, you know what I'm saying, financially and everything with the irs. You know what I'm saying. She had to go through that with everything, you know, give away my millions and get millions back. You know what I'm saying. That was a flex you know what I mean. But I think people need to go through those type things with each other before they actually get married, because people actually have problems when they jump in. Not everybody, though, I'm saying, I'm not just generalizing. You know, when I say that, I think people should take time. And that's what we did. Man, we took time. We took ten years, and we tied the knot in ten years. I felt like we had been through everything possible, right, you know what I mean? And uh, I'm glad we did it. We're best friends. And with that being said, I said, I want to have I want to be connected to that woman. So we had Alena.
Speaker 2: I love this too, now you know, yeah, man, that's big bro. Yeah. So it's so crazy too, because, like I said, with your transparency, like you've for people who because I feel like a lot of generic hip hop fans, I feel like twenty twelve twenty I feel like all sixes and sevens was a lot of like people's like general introduction to what you had going on for so many years, right right right, right right right, Because that's like when the Wayne Coat sign happens and you're doing records with Tea Pain.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he'll be crazy, he'll go crazy all that, but.
Speaker 2: You know you have had such a crazy like like like that Caraboolu is double platinum by now it's platinum, should be I know it's platinum, but like you know, you also like like you're in your heyday, you're known for being like a crazy motherfucker. Yeah, like you've never you know obviously, Eba. Is it ties into that, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I hung my uh player jersey up like tapestry like eleven years ago. You know what I'm saying. And uh, I'm glad I did. Man saved my life because my brother Maxilla was actually writing a movie about me called Georgie. We had this We've been working on this movie about Tech ninees called Georgie. You know, the Georgie Porgie pudding Pie story. Kissed the girls and make him cry. That was me, you know what I mean? And uh, I told him at the end of it, a lady has to kill me. He said, I'm not writing that. I'm not writing that. I'm putting it in the universe.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's that's damn near the only way that could end.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. You play the game of hearts, you know, usually the the the punishment is death, you know what I'm saying, punishment by death. So I said, you have to kill Georgie by a lady. You know what I'm saying, Lady, you have to do it. He just stopped. We don't even write it no more. You know what I'm saying. He stopped. He's like, I'm not writing that, man. You gotta come up with an alternate, uh, ending, you know what I mean. But uh I, I I felt like that I had to stop that before that came to pass, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because it was it could have been an inevitable thing for sure, even if it was even if it wasn't necessarily like actual death, but a form of like something like damn, like I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like herpes or something that's good, you know what I'm saying, Because if I happened to get herpes when I was in the field, I would not be here now, you know. I sure, because if I can't have my Dick, I can't have no no, no, So sorry, right.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I just talk this is I feel like you've had one of the most And when we talk about longevity, when we talk about errors of your career, what year is this so far in terms of let's say album one to now, So.
Speaker 1: What do you mean what year?
Speaker 2: What year in your career are we in? I know, I know, like you know, if we go back to the sway days.
Speaker 1: And so for me for strange music is twenty five years. Okay, for Tech nine is forty years because nineteen eighty five, you know what I'm saying is when I started, you know what I mean, this, that and the other not professionally bright like in hip hop period, you know what I mean. It was forty years of my life and year forty that's crazy. Twenty five years for strange music.
Speaker 2: That's God's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Because even before Strange, it was what was the.
Speaker 1: Was with Westside?
Speaker 2: No I'm thinking was it was like was Angelic was on Strange? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Angelic? What was Strange? You know what I'm saying. The common before the storm was midwest Side and you know then you know with midwest Side, I got signed with Quincy Jones, you know what I'm saying in ninety seven, you know what I mean? So, uh, you know those records never came out though. Yeah, so my first record to come out, well major album to come out, was Angelic, but midwest Side was the first label in Kansas City with Diamond and Don Juan that put out the com before the Storm, The Worst, the Worst two k stuff like that and Celsius.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to think that that's how long it's been, bro, because I remember first finding your shit, Like my cousin Austin put me onto your shit. Yeah, what was what was the song that they were working the radio off, Angelic.
Speaker 1: Angela, It's Alive.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, you know what I'm saying. It's crazy too, man, because like you've survived so many different like waves of music, like yeah, and even just like your own shit, like I was. I think it was a twenty eighteen or nineteen was the first time I had ever seen you on stage without Chris Calico. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, and it And I know this sounds crazy because I'm you know, going all the way back to the Unholy Trinity with you, him and cut was crazy, crazy times. But the way that you were able to figure out a way to like you, I think you were it was the Gangster, the King and the clown. Listen. That tour was fucking insane.
Speaker 1: Though it makes me feel good, you know.
Speaker 2: It was so good. And like my wife is like not a Tech nine fan, she's not a hip hop family. She just went along, you know, and she's like, Yo, this was this is cool.
Speaker 1: But like you don't have to you don't have to know tech nize music to enjoy the music or the show, you know.
Speaker 2: The live show for sure. Yeah yeah, but like, man, there's been so many different eras of like, you know, the live show. I mean, yeah, how do you feel like obviously you're fifty, you're uh, you're freshly married, you got a two year fifty What what am I? You're over fifty?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, well I don't want.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, I don't give a fuck about that. Yeah yeah, I'll be fifty four this year.
Speaker 2: And no, remember, well how long how long do you plan on doing the touring thing?
Speaker 1: They still want to hear technico man, every everywhere. I just did seven shows out there down under Man and uh, the fans even in the US man, even in the states Man they are they're getting younger.
Speaker 2: Because how many years straight? Have you toured? Every single year for twenty five?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, you know what I mean? And uh, even me and the Rogue Dog Villains, our DVS was touring, you know what I'm saying. Not like trib didn't put together tours, but we did tours you know, in the area. You know what I mean, but uh uh, I feel like that the fans are not gonna let me stop. I mean, do they ask They don't. They don't ask Mick Jagger that you know, say, they don't ask.
Speaker 2: No, for sure, the rolling students are still know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They don't, they don't.
Speaker 2: But I'm just thinking like that. You just it's like so much a part of your lifestyle right to where like you damn near spent more time on the road than you have maybe in your own home at this in the last.
Speaker 1: In the last couple of years, man, I've been we've been doing less.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I've noticed that I went on tour with falling Reversals only like twenty two.
Speaker 2: Days, right, which is different for you because you're just like fifty eight, sixty seventy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So we've been kind of dialing it back and just doing festivals. You know, I haven't I don't remember my last Tech nine tour. Maybe maybe you know.
Speaker 2: It's probably twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, maybe maybe maybe you know what I'm saying. But the fans are getting younger every show that I do. Now, I said, I got to know one thing first though, how many of you. That's your first Tech nine show. The whole fucking place go up. As three thousand people there, the whole people, the whole place goes up.
Speaker 2: I'm likely they'll be able to do that.
Speaker 1: So I come to the realization that, uh, they're not gonna let me stop now. Me and Travis talked about last year. We said five more years, and when we get to that five, if we still want to go, we will. So it's four now, you know what I'm saying. So we don't know. You know what I'm saying, We don't know. All I'm saying is that the RDV video ran up like crazy already. You know what I'm saying. It's almost at two million, you know what I mean. And people still want to hear Tech nine. Man, they still calling for me. I'm about to go on another tour now and day after tomorrow with Hollywood and Dead We're gonna we're gonna continue the Hollywood nine tour that the places we didn't hit on the first one, right, and now we're gonna go all the way over to Canada and give it to them as well, you know what I mean. So it's gonna be more young people that want to see Tech nine.
Speaker 2: Man, do you remember because when I say you're the greatest hip hop live before, in my opinion, you're my favorite. I've probably seen you in concert like fifty times at this point, but uh, I think you're the goat on stage. Do you remember when you really felt like you had dialed in that element of what you do? Because I remember the first time I ever saw you in concert was probably in eighth seven or eight. It was on the Bone cotton Mouth King Shit or was it? No? It was was it Bone Bone ICP cotton Mouth Kings three damn walka to her? Yes, So I saw you then and that was super early. But I think the first time I saw you like headlining some ship was probably like seven eight. Yeah, but but so much like there's so much to your live show and it's evolved over the years, But do you remember kind of like you gain fans just because they saw you and they were like, Yo, this is crazy. I gotta go to the music, Like when did you have that dialed in? Like all the way you feel like me?
Speaker 1: Cut Grant and Chris and Travis we would rent out a conservatory or something and we'll go over steps for Angelic you know what I'm saying. Before we went on tour, I knew back then, Bro, you know what I'm saying that we was locked in and we was doing stuff that people wasn't doing on stage. I knew back then that us as a team in uniform, not just in play clothes, signifies togetherness. So that's saying like, Okay, if he's dressed like him, that means if I fuck with him, I gotta fuck with him. Him him him, you know what I'm saying. So I learned that from soldiers, you know what I'm saying. So I knew back then early on that we were locked in. You know what I mean, who got this motherfucking household lot? If you got speak? You know the little dance we do, you know what I'm saying. I still do it to this day, you know. So it's like, uh, I knew it at the beginning when we were doing it. The steps that is that we were doing something that we had never seen. Because I started dancing before hip hop.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I was I was like like MC hammer style, you know, I was a big boy bring dancing poplock and you know what I'm saying, All that so I brought that to Tech nine, you know what I mean, And throughout the years, if it's something we didn't rehearse at the Ballet Conservatory, if I started doing a step that was extra, they would join in. Or if Chris started doing a step that was extra, we do it over Cut said, man, I'm gonna do the B walk on this. I would join in, you know what I'm saying, to do it with him, you know. So we would add stuff throughout the years, you know what I mean. So it's it's just a magical thing. So now before okay, I'm gonna talk about this, twenty twenty COVID hits correct. Chris Calico say, you know, we got a we got a jelly Roll tour on the horizon, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And jelly Roll was with Strange, Yeah, said he was.
Speaker 1: He had signed to our distribution.
Speaker 2: Was that around the time you guys did the Red Rocks and there was like the big I think Chris came out at Red Rocks.
Speaker 1: That was like that was like twenty nineteen, yeah, yep, yeah, so that was like the last hurrah. Yeah, because Chris was talking about leaving then and then he came out like boom, and the fans like, holy yeah, he's staying. He's gonna Yeah, he said, he's gonna do some more years with us, you know what I'm saying. Because he was thinking about going on and doing his own label, this and the other, you know what I'm saying. So he came out of Red Rocks twenty nineteen. Yeah, boom boom, boom boom. It was a big thing, you know. And uh, twenty twenty came, and then that tour got canceled, the Jelly Roll Tour with Take nine, you know, and before we went on at Chris Calico said, Yo, teg, I can't go for this price no more. You know what I'm saying. I gotta have more of I'm gonna go. And I said, let me see what I can do. So I said, you know, I called in the Travis. I'm like, if you can get him two more hunted, I think he'll be good. You know what I mean that I'll put him at a you know, a nice place you know, and travels like tech. Because the tour got canceled and now we were trying to go on tour after that, we're getting reductions. You know what I'm saying, because.
Speaker 2: People don't go down because they.
Speaker 1: Don't know if people are going to come. So that's what the promoters were using against us, like we don't know what you're going to do, you know what I'm saying. So paying somebody extra money when we're getting reduction would be like shooting, yeah, counter productive to shooting myself in the foot. So travel like at this point I would I wouldn't do this, but I would ask Chris if we can reduce his pay, you know what I'm saying. And I'm not going to do that, right, No, he's not going to do that, you know what I mean. So I had to call Chris and say that to him. He's like, I can't go there TECH and I'm like damn. I'm like okay. I was like, maybe this this just this last one. I'm trying to keep him held on. Maybe just this last one, you know what I'm saying. He's like, no, man, I gotta you know, and you know, during COVID, you know you have to find way to take care of your family. He found ways, you know what I mean, And to let him see that he could do his own. So when he came to me and said, I want to leave, but I want to let the fans know that we're still connected and ain't bad blood or nothing, because it's not you know what I'm saying. So we created this live stream. We were doing live streams during.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys are doing like the concert shit us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we couldn't tour yea, so we were we were doing live streams.
Speaker 2: We can.
Speaker 1: You know, we always survived strange music. We're gonna find a way, you know what I mean. So Chris said, let's do a farewell one for me, you know what I'm saying, and introduce my new label, Earhouse, And we did that, you know what I mean. So I'm happy doing this for Chris. But on the inside, I ain't never said this. On the inside, I'm like, damn IA need my brother man right up there, man, my guys, because I had to think back to where when I started, I was by myself, but not really when I when I got with Travis, I brought Grant and Cut and Chris came in last. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: For sure, I mean, your guys is dynamic on stage. Yeah we grab a bottle, yeah yeah, yeah no, but your guys dynamic on stage is it's historical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So with me remembering that, I came in with full motherfucker right, thank you. I was kind of leery about what I would do by myself. I ain't never said that because I'm a king, I can you know what I'm saying. So in my in my heart, I'm like, man, what am I gonna do without my backup? But once I start rehearsing by myself, I'm like, Damn, I got all this wind myself. You know what I'm saying. I've always done uh breathing exercises throughout my career that will allow me say a whole four bars without breathing. You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying for a whole four bars. So I had to remember that and when I started, when I did my first show by myself and I rocked it, that gave me the confidence because I was worried. I was worried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know it. I didn't know what to expect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody did. It's not the same without Chris. I know it's not the same, but it's fucking.
Speaker 2: The way you guys had those led walls and ship and the way that like the whole like you're doing the outfit changes. It also probably gave you time to breathe a little, you know, reset it did Chris.
Speaker 1: Chris being there gave Chris can cut them being there gave me a lot of breathing time.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't have that no more. So now I say, I'm getting my DMX on. You know what I'm saying, resting, May God rest the soul. I'm getting my Kendrick on. You know what I'm saying. I'm getting my jay z on. You know what I'm saying. So I realized after a first couple of the first couple of shows that I got this ship. You know what I'm saying. And you know it would I would love for Chris to return, but I got.
Speaker 2: It, you know Yeah, I think I think before it's all said and done, man, the Unholy Trinity's got to get back together for one one more fucking Hurrah dog, even if it's one show, even if it's like a single show in casey or something like that.
Speaker 1: I will never say never, but I'm saying, maybe you'll get the duo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and Chris is definitely on the table.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, maybe you'll get the duo TRAVI and Cuddy ain't gonna never see how to eye.
Speaker 2: That's fair, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Some things were said that I can't even fix because you know, me and some of the people that strained when we were doing COSM, we's for sure, you know, we had we had we had uh talks with Travis about Cuddy and he was like, man, He's like, so you think the fans want to hear Cuddy and everybody in the office like, yes, you know what I'm saying. And Travis was like, I ain't got no problem, man, I just I just don't feel I don't feel complete, you know what I'm saying with that part. You know what I'm saying, the misunderstanding they had, you know what I'm saying, And I gotta I gotta feel that, you know what I'm saying, And as men, I gotta feel. You know, I can't that it wasn't petty for trap or nothing like that. I don't think it's petty. I just think that it never got resolved. You know. It was something that brought Trav's wife into it. You know what I'm saying, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like once you cross certain you know, yeah, you know like.
Speaker 1: I've never seen when Kanye said this about jay Z's kids or whatever. But after you cross that, it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to walk back that. You get like, I'm fair game ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're talking about some family.
Speaker 2: It's like it's just hard to you know, it's.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if you'll ever be able to come back to that, you know what I mean. I think luckily nobody else on the label I've done anything like that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And you know, I.
Speaker 1: Remember I remember talking to Cuddy about it, you know, and he's like, oh, we're talking about him. You know. But you know, if you say on a song, that's why I fucked Joe, bitch, you fat motherfucker, Like pup, you can't say that in the circle you're in. You know what I'm saying. When when you're breaking up, you know what I'm saying with the group.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, it's like I know, like, you know, our good friend just bad taste, you know, bad timing.
Speaker 2: You know, I know that we have a mutual friend who's a psycho or boy ritz, I know, like he had hit had his Uh it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't anything you couldn't come back from.
Speaker 1: No, because he's on Cosm right.
Speaker 2: And and like and like and like you know because like like again, it wasn't ever anything like and then he could always be like I was drunk man, Yeah, yeah, And if you've been on tour with Rich you're like, you know, this motherfucker's a psycho, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, when people lose something. I'm not generalizing, but uh, some people, what I've learned over the years, they deflect and it's always the label's.
Speaker 2: Fault instead of looking in the mirror.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you know what I mean, and that and that's what some people do. I don't remember none of the ship, you know what I mean? And trap, like, how don't you remember the ship that people have done to us? I'm like, I don't know, but I know that the music is first and foremost, you know, for sure, And we did Cosm and everybody came back, almost everybody, Chris Kellicole almost made it. But we're trying to get some We're trying to get some some back business done before we go forward.
Speaker 2: You know who else on the new album? Me?
Speaker 1: Because this album fifty eight sixteen Forrest is coming out this summer. When black first came to me, it's like, man, you need to do an album.
Speaker 2: Is that your bar code number? What?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, you have your bar code number.
Speaker 1: That's six six triple a FO that's in that house.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's something else, you know to shit. When Blackwall first came to me, he said, man, people want to hear you. Do you without no collaborations? I said, that's boring as fuck. You know, my whole career, I'm always collabed. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got Tech nine collab as its own artist page.
Speaker 1: I do, I do, I do. But you know, even in my on my albums, I got major collapse of course, you know what I'm saying. So he telling me that people want to hear you, and I'm like, that's boring. I went to travel. I said, listen, black Wall, he just got out. He's been locked up fifteen years. He's the guy that gave me my Tech nine name in eighty eight. You know, And uh, I said, black Wall said that people want to hear me on the verses, that's it, and uh I said, I think that's boring as fuck, and Trav said, he's.
Speaker 2: Right, because you've never given given one of those.
Speaker 1: So my idea was to do an album called fifty eight sixteen Forests where I moved there when I was twelve to seven. So as I got into the writing of it, you know, me writing all the verses, maybe have you know a few hooks done by some major artists or something that's about it, you know what I mean. But I got into a couple of songs and I'm like, this is beautiful. So it turns out to be an audio series with seventeen episodes of my life on fifty eight sixteen fours from age twelve to age seventeen, when I ran away from home to become Tech nine, you know I'm saying, on the quest to become Tech nine, you know what I mean. So it's in chronological order. Only one producer from Kansas City's name is Jaypeas. You know what I'm saying. I've never done that one producer. He had all seventeen tracks, you know what I mean. And this is the album where I don't have any features, you know what I mean. And you know a lot of fans been asking for that for a long time. You know, Trav' already always been in my ear about it. But this is the moment when it made sense to me, because why how can I have anybody on these verses when I'm telling my story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like, if you really think about some of your I mean not maybe not like radio songs, but like your biggest songs for real, like that the fans love, they're mostly all you by yourself. If you think about like your technicians and ship you know, Einstein, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, eas even the word shit on kod is you by yourself? Like that's crazy, Like, yeah, it's probably my favorite tech song ever.
Speaker 1: Crazy, that's crazy. I never thought of it like that mental giant, mettal giant. Holy shit, now that one.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: That it's hard. We was tripping on that in Australia because we would sound check my, my, my, my sound guys. They would sound check with that song, you know what I mean? For me and I'll be in there and you know, seven on the what possessed him that night to do that song? But holy ship, man, you know what I'm saying. It's hip hop at its finest for sure, but all those songs being by myself. Like you said, this is the album where I tell my story with only a few major collaborations on the hooks.
Speaker 2: So there's some hooks stuff.
Speaker 1: There's some hook stuff, you know what I'm saying, you know, here and there, But that's about it. But it's special, man, it's special and audio series with seventeen episodes about my life.
Speaker 2: Anybody's really done that.
Speaker 1: I've never heard it. Yeah, But the last song on the album, you know how strange music albums and strange music, there's a song after the strange music called JA six is about my lucky Jay sixes in ninety one, how I could afford to get some Georgian Jordan six black infrared color ways. You know what I'm saying. That song is after the tag, and it's a humongous one too, because it happens what happened was after I ran away, two years after that Jay six has occurred, you know what I'm saying. And so after the tag, there's a song that happened that's some shit that happened two years after I ran away, and I put Jay six. I put it there like that in case I wanted to keep going, right, just in case I don't know if I'm gonna keep going, you know what I'm saying with the story.
Speaker 2: But in case, yeah, I mean, because you could always do it. I mean, if you get inspired to do so, you could always do another album, a continuation of yeah.
Speaker 1: From me from becoming Technine. I can do it, but I don't want to bore people. But this one is special. Our DV just coming out, you know, a few days ago, while like last week, you know, let everybody know that, Okay, this is gonna be some tech nine nineties kind of field beats and everything. You know what I'm saying, It's going all the way back to the beginning. JPZ did a stand up job with making the beats current but still with that feel of Rogue Dogs and Mitch Baide and all that kind of hcladiog stroll feel that Don Juan did early on. You know what I mean, what.
Speaker 2: You You've had the pleasure to change a lot of artist lives that aren't necessarily strange music affiliated. You've I think about some of the tours that I've been to Uh yeah, I mean yeah, j Rock, Ko Glass of Malone. Malone was on that tour. Dax, Yeah, shout out to Dax, Freddy Gibbs.
Speaker 1: Look how well he's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, but it's been it's been so dope. But I want to know because you know, Fragile was such a moment that had been. I would say that relationship because a lot of people who don't know, like Jay Rock had had to deal with strange you guys put out his his was that his first full length album. It was his first album because he had to do.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But that was like his first solo album that came out, follow Me Home, Follow Me Home. Yeah, And that was a partnership you guys had with TD. We see Kendrick's on the road with Rocky.
Speaker 1: Kendrick was on the road with Ray Jock. Uh, Jay Rock. I almost said Ray j Dude Kendricks on the road with Jay Rock because the guy that was out there before Jay Rock's Kim Folk MJ. He got killed in Reno, you know what I mean. On that tour, Damn. You know we were we were performing at one of the venues out there and it was way after the venue, like three o'clock in the morning. We were sitting in the sitting in the in the alley way, waiting for the bus drivers. You know, yeah, you know what I'm saying. That's back when I was still partying ship. I'm up partying with bitches everything, you know what I'm saying. And uh we heard shots three o'clock in the morning, and uh, m J. He you know, I guess he was on the phone with his wife because the bus is going crazy. He wants to go call us life. You know what I'm saying, Let.
Speaker 2: Me walk away, call my wife, make sure she does bullshit.
Speaker 1: I guess they said it was some like Cambodian crips across the street at the the liquor store early on. Just looking over there, you know what I'm saying. And everybody knows, you know, where we come from, the neighborhoods and all that kind of thing, you know what I'm saying. So I guess MJ had on a red J Rock shirt. MJ is actually the crip. You know what I'm saying. I have on read J Rock shirt because he's who's on he's on tour with he's on the phone's wife. And then three of them walked up and they said that he said, uh, They said, y'all ready and then tried to score up with him. Cut out, Houn, come out the buzz like what you're trying to jump my nigga? You know what I'm saying. That's when the guys pulled out and shot MJ all in the lower his lower park. He was still alive, you know what I'm saying. I talked to him on the phone a couple of days later U at the hospital. We had to leave him there in Reno at the hospital, you know, and and go on to South Salt Lake City. By the time we got to Salt Lake City, we got the call all the buck blood clots killed him, you know. So that's when they had to call on Kendrick to come and fill fill out, fill in for MJ. It was hard, man, it was hard. It was hard. And that's how I met Kendrick, and that's when he gave me the section eighty CD and that's when I put him on all sixes and seven so nobody knew who he was. And I love music with me and my family Marcus Jads and then we did the one you're talking about, Fragile after that when City just came.
Speaker 2: Out, Yeah, which went platinum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it went platinum.
Speaker 2: That was was fragile before Hood Go Crazy. Rod was after Okay, okay, okay, m what was it something about? Because I feel like Kendrick was like the kind of artists because around that time I had him on my show, I think when I was in Vegas and like twenty ten he came and freest out on the show. And this was right before section eighty dropped. But like if you were around him, you kind of knew, like, this dude's alien.
Speaker 1: For reason, Yes he was. He was a quiet dude still that to this day. But you can tell that. You know, Jay Rock would play me black hippie shit on the bus. He was, you know, and I'm like, who is that? That's k Dot? This is when j was on the tour.
Speaker 2: It's k Dot.
Speaker 1: He's crazy. You know, I'm like, katok crazy, you know what I'm saying. And then I finally met him, and you know, on that tour we found out that he was a special.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: He watched me every night on stage when I was performing. When you see his show now, man, you know, nothing resembles Tech nine. He got his own energy, his own ideas. Man, it is. It is massive. I watched that show in Paris on Hulu or whatever, you know, and I was just in awe. Man, you know what I'm saying, what he's become on stage, and I've been to multiple tours over the years to Kansas City, brings me on stage and tells the story of us and all that man and what he's turned into. Man is a mom monster live. Man. You know what I'm saying, you guys saying that I'm the best show man that nigga, that nigga is. It's hard to beat.
Speaker 2: You see him on fucking Super Bowl two bows crazy.
Speaker 1: I was there. I was there.
Speaker 2: I bet you were a sad day for you. I was there only I know it was. I'm sure halftime was. Son.
Speaker 1: I was there. I was seeing it at Homie.
Speaker 2: At least he gave you a good show to take the take your mind off of the score.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm gonna tell you like this, Before he came on stage, the Eagles was.
Speaker 2: They was already clapping, y'all.
Speaker 1: They were, they were, they were, they were scoring so much. After a while, I just started laughing, like Travis was heated. He was just sitting there like this next to me was Travis right here, Me right here, my uncle Ike right there, my son next to him. You know what I'm saying, and you know other people that was with us. Travis was like he wasn't laughing at all. I'm like, I'm eating my food, just laughing like this is old.
Speaker 2: I got enough rings.
Speaker 1: It's never enough ring, No for sure, especially what it does for the city.
Speaker 2: No for sure. For sure.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, the morale and all that kind of thing. You know, the parade, we wouldn't have the official record like parade we wasn't gonna have no more because the last parade they start shooting.
Speaker 2: But you I mean I'm saying, I mean, I feel like it's good too for for I mean, you have the anthem, so if they win, it's good for business.
Speaker 1: It is. Yeah, Red Kingdom. I wrote that shit in twenty nineteen. I put it out in twenty nineteen. Isold king Io did the beat. We lost a year, but it's still here after all these years.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I took it off the set list though, you know they let me know it. And uh, when we lost the Super Bowl, I took it off the set list. I can't. I can't came brag no more. You know what I'm saying. But uh, the fans in Australia let me know, like we want to hear Red Kingdom, So I had to do it a cappella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to give them a little taste.
Speaker 1: They like they got Red Kingdom up on the signs and shit, I'm like, it's just a song. The people love who.
Speaker 2: Who was the one artist who you brought on the road that gave you a run for your money live where you were just like, oh okay you you showed up like.
Speaker 1: Shit, I always been the what it is? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I know what I'm saying, Like someone who you brought on the road, who opened for you where you were just like yo, that there there.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't have love. I ain't never have my jay Z uh DMX moment because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I remember when DMX opened for Hope on the Hard Knock Live tour. I was like, I don't know how jay Z's.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever know they ain't taking nothing away from Ritz, They ain't taking nothing away from or mg K or nothing. But no, ain't nobody ever made me feel like holy shit, I got to bring my egga, you know what I'm saying. I went on before Ronnie Radkey and following reverse on this last tour, you know what I mean. And I saw all the ship that they do won't stay. I was like, God, damn, I gotta step my ship up, you know what I'm saying. Ship like that recently, But uh na, man, I ain't never had that jay z DMX moment like, Oh, these niggas out here killing it. I encourage even the openers tear that shit down. Make it hard for me. Always tell my artists make it hard for me.
Speaker 2: What I think is like a real like sign that you are amazing at what you do is because I've seen you do festivals where it's not a crowd full of technicians and just cultivate the whole crowd. And that's the hardest thing to do because it's easy. And I wouldn't say it's easy, but it's one thing to perform in front of your people. Yeah, it's another thing to be like, oh, this is a radio show.
Speaker 1: Yes, radio show. I've done those and killed.
Speaker 2: Them, and you know what I'm saying, It's just different though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, Yeah, it's like I'm the one backstage hearing the crowd going so so right. I love that. I love that for people to have that, But it doesn't make me feel like, Okay, I got a fucking kill shit. You know what I'm saying, because I already know I kill shit, you know what I mean? My spot is forever reserved.
Speaker 2: Like forty was great too, when you guys had that forty tour, that was great. Talk to me about there. There's the moment when you get shouted out by Lil Wayne when he's incarcerated. Around that time, there was this light that was flashed on what you guys are doing in case, yes, I remember there, Yeah, there was list. I remember it might have been Double Excel. Someone on YouTube went and showed the operation, and all of a sudden it was like, well shit, you know, people are paying a lot more attention to what we got going on. Tell me how the Little Wayne relationship kind of like helped kind of change the trajectory of like opening you up to new fans, and how it's still intact to this day.
Speaker 1: Wayne speaking my name saying that he wanted to work with me in one hundred three thousand.
Speaker 2: Man, because you're on the Carter four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on the Carter four. He said he was gonna make that happen. I didn't know he was going to put.
Speaker 2: Us both on the same song, which is Yeah, the introduwser my favorite part of that. It's crazy for sure.
Speaker 1: And the way I heard it, he said, you want to hear your song and he came to Kansas City. I'm like, yeah, he played it in Travis's office And when Andre came on after me, I was trying to be cool, but the inside of me is like, holy fucking ship. Here, I got a song where Andrey I was blown away. I was like, holy shit, you know what I'm saying. I didn't know he was gonna do that. So after that, I noticed that at the gathering of the Juggalos, whenever I'd say it, they boo. You know what I'm saying, They boo when I say little Waye. I'm like, that's my family.
Speaker 2: We ain't go do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is for the love of hip hop. Respect that when I'm here, and they would clap, you know what I'm saying, Like, they respected that, you know what I'm saying. Because a lot of my fans didn't want the mainstream over here. They wanted there's a secret, and that's how fans do. They are like all fans are like they want they want the best kept secret. But something like Tech nine you can't keep contained, man, you know what I'm saying. So I said a long time ago, tech won't go mainstream. The mainstream will go tech. And that's what gradually happened, you know what I mean. Wayne, was that first thing that happened when he said out of the blue, when I forgot who asked him? I forgot I was funk Master flex Or. I forgot who it was, Yeah, asked him when I was in jail, who you want to I want to work with my main man, Tech nine and Andre two thousand. Everybody's calling me. I had to fight strange Land, meaning the fans, you know what I'm saying, because they wanted to keep that shit over there. You know what I'm saying. Lollipop was out at the time. I want to hear that shit, you know what I'm saying. But I fucked with elite artists, and I adore elite artistry. So Wayne saying that, I went to Rikers and said thank you. Me and Traft you know, went out to the East Coast and said thank you, you know, and he said when I get out his on and it was as soon as he got out, he said, come on down here in Florida. We got a song. And they played it for me. Mike Bangor was the engineer. He played it, damn dud. I'm like, oh my god, get on there and chop that ship up. Wayne came in at twelve midnight, heard it the next day and say, yeah, now I'm ready. Now I'm ready. That's what I wanted. I'm like, yeah, you know what I'm saying. And uh, the hood responded, Tech killed it. Tech killed it? On all of surprise to see Tech on the carter Ford did it. It did so well with me for the culture for sure, you know what I'm saying, because when you think about strange music, did you kind of think subculture? Right? It's yeah, you know what I'm saying. So for the culture, that was a win for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was funny to watch it because it was like all of a sudden because you would always kind of hear people talking about Tech nine and they would, you know, because you had the face paint. How you deal with this your whole career?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Read here and like, I feel like the Wayne, because it always takes somebody when you are doing something underground or doing something out of the norm, out of the box, for pop culture to kind of embrace it. You kind of need like a Wayne to be like, nah, this is it, yeah, man. And then I feel like I feel like you had gone through me and you had a conversation. It might have been a backstage in Orlando, it might have been to Freddy Gibbs tour, and this was around the time breaking into colored houses to drive, but I remember you were a little frustrated with the lack of support from your own community.
Speaker 1: Of course I've been, I've been. I've been banging that my whole career. The message to the black man, all those songs. Many why you ain't called me? You know what I'm saying all that, you know what I'm saying. It's like I've been talking about it because I always felt like technol because I am the king, the clown and the g I'm three dimensional, that it should be for everybody. And that's what started with the gangsters in the hood, you know what I'm saying, in Kansas City, then the metal heads and then the college kids and all that kind of shit, and then the Juggalos, you know what I'm saying, and then you know rock and roll all that. You know, I felt like that it shouldn't exclude my people.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So usually when you do something and I don't like to generalize, I'm saying that, ain't all black folks, right, you know for sure painted face, red, spiked hair at the time.
Speaker 2: Nah bro Even now people are like like, you know, like but it became cool though, but now like there's this like you know, sub genre of like kind of punk rock you look at like Woozy has done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, playbrook CARDI said, he playbrock CARTI went on and said that I was the pioneer of what he does, uh image wise, And.
Speaker 2: You know I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah he did like a year and a half ago.
Speaker 2: Shout. I just saw his show and it was it was a lot yeah yah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah he said.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think a lot of people don't know. You was just talking about how I've been in it for so long and still on the incline and all this kind of thing. Man. I always tell my fans that I'm Alu Card that's Dracula backwards. You know what I'm saying. I don't look like I'm about to be fifty four.
Speaker 2: Now you look better than ever, bro, I'm honest. Yeah, you look like Yeah, I'm gonna be here. You look like better than you looked in like two thousand.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've seen because he.
Speaker 2: Was wearing all that drugs and all that liquor. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I don't eat nothing but sour dough bread now, man, only we bread on eat white bread. Don't you eat another ship because Sarado has health benefits. But that's here you need to hear. No there. But it's like certain things that I changed that my wife implemented, right, you know what I mean? And uh, I think that uh people always going to give the props to Tech nine for what we done early on independently and image wise that I got crucified for and I didn't give a fuck. You know I have. I have the worst sacrifice across my chest, really big. It's been there for years, you know. And I sacrificed myself for them to run right now.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Yeah, I think of like Denzel Curry had an album where his face is painted NBA young boy had a little wave where he painted his face on it on social media decades later, Yeah, decades later, and I just remember like you being chack at it or weekend it. Yeah for sure, weekend it, for sure. But you were put into this like box because I think around that time, like there was like you know, it was also kids were a lot more shallow with their taste back then.
Speaker 1: I think I think I think some some of the culture they think, I said, some of the culture. People in the culture, they think that when you do stuff like that, like paint your face. I have a Bishops robe on with red spiked haear that that's me saying that I don't have the skill to get people's attention, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So let me but the rest to get the attention. Yeah, they already write you off.
Speaker 1: They write me off. But the motherfuckers found out that I can do this shit butt naked with none of that shit, and fuck all you niggas up lyrically. You know what I'm saying. This is how I feel right and that's and that's what people know, you know, and know when they get on the song with me, they really got to go you know what I'm saying, not saying that you got to chop every time you You know, even though that's all people say me, they want to race me. I'm tired of racing motherfuckers. You know. They don't have to race me on songs. I can do hip hop shit. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: We can.
Speaker 1: Me and Conway just did some shit for saying on my last album.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. It's like, you know.
Speaker 1: You don't have to do that. But motherfuckers know now that I didn't need none of that ship. I don't need none of that ship. I don't need the mask. I don't need none of that ship to go toe to toe lyrically with anybody in the industry.
Speaker 2: You know, yo, talk to me. You had another insane, like out of nowhere moment when you guys do this record with the Rock. Okay, and now the Rock has always been a supporter of your music.
Speaker 1: Since since Riot Maker.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he always is posting working out to tech stuff and shut the gate. Yeah, and and so it was so cool. You had to have written that verse, though, Did you write the verse? No, the Rocks verse? No? No, no? Does it sound like it sounded like you're paying.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna tell you how I went. I said, I got some words that I think will be good. It's about drive, it's about power, it's about you know. It was doing still like that. He's like, no, no, no, no, no, I want to go fast. He said, I want to say it's about drive, it's about power. He was stay, hunger, we devouring the work. I wouldn't I wouldn't have said what he said. I put in the work, put in the hours and take what's hours. That's all him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like in some moment in my veins, I was just thinking, for sure, mother, that's him.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So he put together if.
Speaker 1: You're that's me, just like, okay, you should put this right here. That's what the that's what the mass. I just helped him put the cadences together. You already had the words he did that ship man, that nigga know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: And that was you guys were in the studio together for that. No no, no, no no no.
Speaker 1: He's too busy for that. I did. I mean, I had him on his DM. I was like, hey, I think I found it because I met him out here. He wanted to meet me on his set of Ballers when he was out here with my people shining. You know what I'm saying. They always trying to get me to do movies, and I feel like I'm too weird to act. And I've done a couple of things weird. You know what I'm saying, Yeah, I might do that.
Speaker 2: You got to get that Rob Zombie shit cracking, man, you got you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, Like my horror brain and I let out out. They ain't never seen no ship like that. Jordan Peel all them up be like, what the fuck is wrong with nigga? But anyway, I met uh the Rock. Then I said, I'm gonna find something. Then uh face off came. I said, uh in his DM, I said, hey, I think I found it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He sent me his number, sent me his email all that. You know what I'm saying. I was like, And then we start talking on the phone, and we start talking our way through it, and he said, this is what I want to say, and I just helped him, you know, put it in the right place. You know what I'm saying on that last part, You know what I mean, that's all him, dude, He killed it, killed it yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, and then and then the video.
Speaker 1: I knew he could do it because Molana was out right and yeah, look at it, make it everything happened. Look at the but the top of but I'm like, oh, oh yeah, he could do this. He did the Malana City, He's he's Maui Mali can do this. So I knew he could do it. You know what I'm saying. When I said that, if you want to bring it to the massive, you know what I'm saying, then up there the booth, ascids whatever the he said. I knew he could do it.
Speaker 2: Man, you know what I'm saying, Yo, Can you talk to me because obviously, uh one of the most uh you know when we talk about West Coast goats, especially people who are underrated. As a guy, Mac Dre, who his life in Casey. Yes, you've obviously shouted him out a lot over the years and your music. What was your relationship like with mac Dre? Was it? Did you guys have a relationship when he was alive? I know he was in k C a lot.
Speaker 1: This is what my homie say. I was on big drugs. We was running a fucking strip club called Satin Dolls downtown van Brunt. You know what I'm saying. Uh, they said Mac Drake came in there and I was high, and I gave him his first thistles. I don't fucking know. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna claim that this man. Somebody says that my nigga said, nigga, you gave it to him, because I remember him coming in the club and I was like, he's like, man, yuh told me y'all was family. I'm like, he is, and that means you family too. Because he told him to me, I'm like, I remember, yeah, like this, you know what I'm saying. But I don't remember giving him no goddamn th I just knew I had sixty on me all the time. You know what I'm saying. I had, I had, I had a hook up. It was the flower girl in there. You know what I'm saying. That she would front me the shit and not pay her later. You know what I'm saying. Sometimes I had three of them and I'd share them with the girls. I was like the house dad, nigga, I go in there and get everybody high. You know what I'm saying. I was. That was back then when I was putting it on my tongue, Like take it off my tongue, baby. You know that kind of crazy times. You know what I'm saying, Crazy times for me. So they said my homies like Nigga, he came in the club that night and you gave him like Nigga, this is what we do. And he's like for real. I was like, I don't remember that sit at all. I don't remember that sit at all, but I remember meeting them in the club that sat and dolls, and you know, he came in shining, you know, and the thing that happened to him in case the negative thing. I was on tour and I was doing a Halloween show in Salt Lake City that day when I found out, Wow, I called young Mouth immediately. I said, man, did he have kids? He said, yeah, you fucking had kids.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm like, ah, you know, And they said it was some street shit that happened over twenty thousand or something, right, he was getting for a show and they left.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wasn't there, man.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: And uh, I hate it for Kansas City because they love macdre. You would think he was from there. Man, When any of his goe stupid comes on or anything. You know what I'm saying. It's not my job. They play everything right. You know, everybody moves like Dre in the city. You know what I'm saying. If you and E forty because forty with mister Flamboyant opened up the floodgates for the bay to come in to Kansas City, you know what I'm saying. To the Midwest, you know what I'm saying. But macdre Man, you know that that's his town as well.
Speaker 2: For sure. You I remember I don't know shit, ten plus years ago us having like talks about like you'd worked with everybody. Obviously the one like person that was still escaping the the tech feature was always eminem Speed him comes out right, which was crazy because you brought him to like literally brought him to your world. You've worked with Surge, which I know was another one of those ones. Right, is there anybody left that is there anything new that you thought like, all right, well, I've conquered all these dragons, I've had am all my shit. I've worked with Lingree three thousand, you had Surged, Hanky and opening up an album.
Speaker 1: I mean it started the elite. That's started way back in the day, you know, saying with me and Ice Que. Yeah, I was on kimas Spice one and forty over and over and over. The elite shit that just started back in the day, you know, I'm saying. And then the new generation came, you know.
Speaker 2: So there's got to be some newer guy because you're a fan of this ship. So I know people don't know, like you'll like catch a flight to catch a concert just to go. Like people like, yo, I'm in Arizona right now. I'm here because I want to watch this concert.
Speaker 1: I saw Travis Scott down there. I saw Chris Brown down there, I saw her, I saw Daniel Caesar down and my wife will come down to Arizona to go to them goddamn show.
Speaker 2: But what what is the what's thes what's the latest? The latest artist? You're like, man, that this would just be special, Like I really would love it.
Speaker 1: I tried to get j Cole on my last record on a song called I Met Morph. I was trying to get him on that one, and we couldn't find a way to get a response, you know what I'm saying. So that was one I wanted to cause, you know, he'd be, he'd be on motherfucker ship killing ship. I'm like, for sure he's come over, come over here and kill ship. Let's go, you know what I'm saying. And when did it? When did he get you know what I'm saying. I always wanted to do that. I always wanted some and this is some old ship. But when I say old ship, I mean this is something I've always wanted, you know, Trent Reznor to do a track, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Of course I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I just I just did that one with Ronnie Radkey falling of Reverse to Ronald song Man, and that turned into a tour with us, you know what I mean, And that that was a big one for me because you know, they killing ship, you know Ronnie. I was looking for Ronnie. The way I found Ronnie is when I was doing Bliss, I was looking for metal Choppers. I googled metal Choppers and he was at the top of the list. Then Kim Dracula right then it was like Suicide Boys after that and saying and uh then it was City Morgan Auto. But Ronnie was on the top of the list, so I hit him in his DM. I'm a damn type of motherfucker. You know I'm saying, that's how I got Duran Bnar own my ship everything. Yeah, man, why not saying? But uh I hit him and he's like, man, I've been wanting to work with you for the longest.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I sent him the song what I was gonna get him and Kim Dracula on it. Because Kim Dracula's from Australia.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He's fucking crazy chopper. You know what I'm saying metal And uh, Ronnie said, I loved the song. Man, I just can't do it because I'm working on this huge album, but I want you to be on one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Kim Dracula still did it, you know what I mean? And I was happy about that one. J Cole is one. Trent Reznor is one. Brittany from Alabama shakes. I love what she can do, you know what I'm saying vocally? You know, I just love musicians, man. You know I got a song with Gary Clark Jr. You know, like I'm so, I'm so, I'm such a decorated m See. Man, that's what my next album is gonna be called. Its gonna be called decorated and I've done it, and I got a weed song with Boys the Men, Dude, you know what I'm saying, called Buddha. You know a lot of people don't know. It's just went over people's heads on the Storm, you know. And you know, I think I think Gary Clark Jr. Is on that album as well. Marsha Ambroses Is on that album from a Flower Trees all. It's all over the spectrum, man. You know what I'm saying, like rock, new metal, metal, you know what I'm saying, slip knot. It's I'm so decorated that I only have a few people that I have left. You know what I'm saying. Jay Z's one of them as well.
Speaker 2: It would be crazy. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I already got Kendrick, already got Jay Rock. You know what I'm saying. I still haven't done that feature for j I D. He sent me.
Speaker 2: Man, It's like J I D. Would be crazy.
Speaker 1: How many sent it to me, like around my birthday, like November seventh, And then I went on a run right after that and I got sick three times from Thanksgiving all the way to the New Year. So I haven't been able to do it because I didn't want to get about.
Speaker 2: To turn his album man if it's not already turned in. Oh man, he's crazy.
Speaker 1: Because I'm just now letting up, you know what I'm saying. And I gotta I gotta hit him and say, am I late? That was like almost five months ago? Yeah, I know I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I know he did like a little private listening for whatever this new project is, but maybe not. I mean there's no dat announced. As you know, there's always there's always time to get ship over finish line.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I got sick three times, man, and I couldn't get in the studio with him like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he wanted the race, right, He's one of them.
Speaker 1: He wanted to race, like oh you want to raise Look here we go, you know, the day before my birthday and my birthday November eighties and the November seventh, and still haven't done it. Man. I'm like, damn, I gotta I gotta get that done for j I.
Speaker 2: D talk to me about like your guys' model. I just saw Travis just did an interview with King Court with the Whole Court podcast where he was kind of breaking down just kind of how things have changed since streaming, the streaming era, and how you know, obviously the lack of physical product in the marketplace. It's kind of you know, like you said, strangers always gonna find a way. You guys have always found a way to survive and evolve. But just the og like, when did you realize as a whether it was you or Travis or together, like, yo, we gotta have like multiple Skew was on tour because I remember, man, when you used to I mean, I remember the first time I went to one of your shows, bro, a solo show. I was absolutely floored by the merch section.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's all travels right there.
Speaker 2: And I mean we're talking about Jersey's license plates.
Speaker 1: That's back then. That's back then when I had to okay everything.
Speaker 2: Now, I was like, I'm like, and then the other thing too. You would have the dude who would walk around with the box of CDs.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, we have we have three CD sellers.
Speaker 2: In the hitting the line. Yeah, hey, you guys want to buy the see and and COVID for sure. And I think back to like, you know, obviously, I would say probably before in terms of taking advantage of the merch thing, I would say ICP was before you, guys. But in terms of perfecting that model of like cultivating your fan base into like a real core core that like physically can support you with what you might even have to have the album out, like hey guys, we're gonna do merch drop. I remember the jerseys great that the red case jersey with the nine and good.
Speaker 1: But I think, I think, I think surviving for twenty five years is a blessing to have the core that we can still sell physical product to, you know what I'm saying, and and everything and merchandise. Our story is crazy, man, year after year, you know what I'm saying. So that's just that's just a blessing. We were able to keep all that, all those people with me evolving over the years, and people having something to draw from, Like your best album was Angelic, your best album was ever Ready. You know what I'm saying. Special Effects was the last good album.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. People say, I love that, bro crazy, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So so you know they have something to draw from because we've been in it for twenty five years with strange music, you know what I mean. So if they didn't have so much to draw from, they would probably like really respect all the new I'm dropping, you know what I'm saying. But people have their favorites because they'll attach nostalgia to it.
Speaker 2: Yes, the time of their life.
Speaker 1: Yes, when this thing happened and Tech nine was there, kod O nine, that's when whoa he really hit that there? You know after that, he ain't had nothing good since. I'm like, bullshit, right, you know what I mean. But the fact that we've been able to keep all those people people's attention for these twenty five years, and we can call it the core, is a testament to great and good product. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you don't get on the Forbes list without a lot of stuff that isn't just the music, right exactly.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying is everything that comes with the experience. It's the tour merchandise, you know what I'm saying, the video game placements, the TV placements and everything. You know, it counts, and uh, I'm just you know, that's why lately I've been talking to Trav about directed consumer.
Speaker 2: Which I think is honestly the next It's kind of like things have to be be full circle event. We're talking to him about it since as nine because think about it, there's a I don't know if you've heard of a something called even Yes. Yeah, So there's a lot of artists who are doing that, right, Like Dizzey Wright did an album on there. It was like at the end of the day, like if you actually were to calculate even if you release an album for the first three months directed consumer.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm talking about, you know, That's what I'm talking about, Like, hey, let's let's get some money first.
Speaker 2: Because you got to look at I mean, thirty nine I think thirty nine hundred dollars is about a million streams. So if you do a million streams, it's like between like thirty seven and like four thousand dollars essentially. So when you start breaking down like some of the numbers, you're like, damn, Like we put so much into this shit, right and the streaming shit is really fucked I mean like it's it's really fucked up.
Speaker 1: Like you got to get money off of you know, the music is.
Speaker 2: We have no it's a it's a vessel to get to get other things, the other's things. Fuck that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fuck that man, you know what I'm saying, Especially for fifty eight sixteen Forest a personal album like that. I don't want to get that sit away for free, my nigga.
Speaker 2: Also, like your fans would rather buy a piece of vinyl from you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's coming to like hey sixteen, Hey, look, the first people who are going to hear this album are gonna get it on CD and vinyl. Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. That's crazy that your mind's thinking that because Travis was on that already.
Speaker 2: Like you guys are going to get this piece of art.
Speaker 1: Wait till the pre order drop, you gonna see.
Speaker 2: It, and then eventually you'll be able to put it up on you know, and you can watch the music videos on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's easier said than done when you were you know, connected to you know, a distribution and uses connected to you know, it's Virgin.
Speaker 2: Now right right, and then they're like, well, it's a little bit harder to be like, well, we're gonna just crack this, crack our fans real quick and make sure they get first access. Well, you know, the business the business model of Virgin is like no, no, no, not.
Speaker 1: Their percentages are included in that right, So it's like, sorry, I just snored it. Their percentages are included and directed consumer. You know what I'm saying. It's like it seems like that everybody else would want to make more money, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It would seem too as if there's an artist that is capable of fucking up the.
Speaker 1: The game, fucking the industry again, it'd be you. Yeah, you remember that. You remember that thing we had in two uh FTI. It was like fun the industry.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We did the commercial like download my album Absolute Power for free and if you like it, you know what I'm saying, support, We got that shit away for free, my nig and it worked. So here we are again. Streaming is killing the industry. We're still afloat, by the grace of God. Now's the time. I think it's time to fuck the industry again. Man said and done. Though, I know we got a lot of susts that are connected.
Speaker 2: And have you been paying attention to the Russell?
Speaker 1: Of course he's on my last album. The Russell is like Russell and Stunnermento two. Shout to Russell, man, you know they moving.
Speaker 2: He's also got he's got this out. He thinks outside the box of everything and it's working for him. Yes, it's like, hey, if you want to come see me, my show starts at two p m. Because I don't like being outside of night and you get to put a bit in on your ticket.
Speaker 1: He's on He's on COSM. We got a song called sour though. Okay, you know, but it's why while you sal while you so. I think he's the sneaker is.
Speaker 2: On the hook. He's done a good job of showing artists like, hey, like, you don't have to play by the rules you think you have to play by.
Speaker 1: L Russell and Russ you know the same guy? Uh who did it? Who did it? Glorilla did it? You know, directing Consumer Lately. I think gn X was like that with Kendrick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they man that just from a hip hop fan perspective, you had to have loved the last year of hip hop. I mean because the Kendrick Drake beef brought out. I mean, however you feel about the results, I mean, we know who won, but uh, just it was just good to see like people dissecting bars, like.
Speaker 1: Really good on that and in that aspect, you know what I'm saying the hip hop energy that was brought forth by that beef. What I worry about is the street element of it all. And that's why I put out no popcorn. I don't have no popcorn emojis because I know we're all gang members, right, you know what I'm saying. And Uh, you can't control the.
Speaker 2: Entourage, you can't control the Philly, the family.
Speaker 1: The fanaticis yeah, you know what I'm saying. And when Drake's house got shot at, you know what I'm here comes That's what I didn't want. You know what I'm saying. I don't I want to. I wanted to. I want to keep it in the spirit of hip hop. Would have done what it did, uh for it positively. But we have to keep our eye on the street element because it comes with us. You know what I'm saying. So so far, so good, so far, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was talking to day Free the other day with a og muggs. He had him on three Way, and I said, I think y'all gonna be really good in Toronto, man, you know what I'm saying. He's like, oh yeah, man, they come out in Toronto, man, is wonderful. I think I think y'all gonna be good, and I would expect Drake to.
Speaker 2: Be okay in two stadium shows. Yeah, I know, two stadium shows in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they think they're gonna be good. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And I think Drake is in LA enough to be like.
Speaker 1: He shouldn't be good here? Yeah, man, he better be man, you know what I'm saying. But you know, with the street element, man, you just never they take it beyond. We've always took it beyond. Because this is my theory on it. If you say something negative about technolo on the record, that means you're now in the spirit of hip hop. I get it. But that means you're trying to take food out of my family's mouth, my nigga. So we're gonna have a problem. You know what I'm saying. Now, I've been in battles and I haven't lost. I've never lost, you know what I'm saying. So, and that it has never gotten so personal that you couldn't shooting at each other or fighting in the club waiting about to have that shit in casey, you know what I'm saying. So, uh, But with that street element. You're trying to take food and money away from me by turning people away from me. Nigga, I got something for you. That's what I don't want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's like you said that you can't control somebody who's young, who's affiliated, who wants to prove himself right right right, that you aren't even you might not even we didn't even send it.
Speaker 1: We didn't even send it.
Speaker 2: We didn't even know this was gonna happen. And then there's also insane fans like people.
Speaker 1: Might say Tech nine's name, I would never send it. They send it to themselves because I have followers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you're you're you're inviting certain energy to your yea, to your So.
Speaker 1: The thing when it happened with ICP, that's me and Joe Bruce talked about.
Speaker 2: I'm like, man, yeah, he talked about it.
Speaker 1: We don't want to we don't want to turn this into something. We just had a we we had a really good two hour talk when the ship was happening, when I was getting death threats from a few juggalos, we had like a two hour talk and it was like a history lesson from Tech nine from Kansas City what started the killer clown and all this kind of thing because they was under the impressing that I got it from them, and I'm like, I was the clown in ninety four, you know what I'm saying, And I have to tell them all that, and uh, but they did show us a lot of shit on that tour No. Three that we had to up our game and merch and everything, and their stage show was fucking I just saw them performing the other day and it's still crazy for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have this energy about thinking about them shooting two leaders of FA go into the crowd.
Speaker 1: Oh they're still doing that. They're still doing that. They're still doing that. And it's like me and Joe Bruce talked about that, about the history and what I learned, and you know, we got to clear about the gang element. I don't want it to bleed into this, you know what I'm saying, because whether they know it or not, you know what I'm saying, The Clowns, the Juggalos are not a gang, but people look at them as a gang, you know what I'm saying. It's all over the world too. Sure, it's in Australia, it's in the UK, Juggalos are everywhere and they come show love my nigga and like they always have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you go to a tech show, you're gonna se Juggles of course, of course, and a lot of people have strange and hatchet Man tattooed yes sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: So we talked about the gang element that I didn't want to bleed over into that. And they came to my show in Detroit and they introduced me and everything and it was good, you know what I mean. After after they did your show, I did a song what was it called? I forgot what it was called. And I was talking telling people that I'm not upset and what they were saying on the show. You know what I'm saying. I'm like, they didn't say nothing wrong, but you know what I mean, It's like the face paint thing was unclear, you know what I mean. And they didn't know that. When I was on that tour, I only had my guy doing words across my head, you know what I'm saying. But before that, I had Brian Bezel Dennis in ninety four doing my full skull face, right, you know what I'm saying. I didn't know nothing about dark loadus and none of that shit I'm talking about when I did when I did the show and Lawrence Kansas with the luminous paint on my face and the black cross across my face. You know what I'm saying, lights cut off you could see just across on my face. I didn't know nothing about dark Lotus back then. That's what they did. And it's like those were in That was in the early nineties, you know what I mean, and shit like that. So we had to talk about all that, you know what I mean, because we had similarities when it come to face paint and all that kind of shit. And I was trying to say that I've never been a bier. I've always been an innovator. I've always you know, saw things that y'all did and purposely didn't want to try to mimic it, right because that's their thing. I would never get up there and have clowns come out and throw feyo or nothing, you know what I'm saying. Even though I'm the killer clown, I do mine in a different way, you know what I mean. So I talked about that gang element and we got that shit straight early.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, and then it didn't it didn't keep going.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, I feel like like trying to split up your guys's fans, is that insane because there are a lot of the same people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, you know, yeah, man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be wild too, because you've like we're talking about twenty five years of strange music at this point in time. Like there's people probably with Tech nine tattoos that are like fucking teachers, Dennis. Yeah, Like there's like technicians that are like probably in high places that you would even do unless they took their shirt off.
Speaker 1: Man, they approached me and people that I don't think that's gonna come up with me and say anything about techno tuned in for twenty years, I'm like, holy shit, right, Tech nine always felt like fight club, you know what I mean. Like you go into the restaurant and all the people with all the cooks, all the servers, they gnawed at you, you know what I'm saying. But all the rich people, you know, they don't know what the is going on until at the end when I'm taking pictures with everybody, like who are you again? You know, it's fight club thing.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, yo talk about obviously, you know, for people who don't know, Save Me was a record that came out under Strange Music's distro. Shout to our brother Jelly Roll, who is one of the biggest stars on the planet these days. You know, he's had a crazy journey through musical You know, I think back to damn like him opening up FORCP on tour. I mean, he really was an actual underground rap like rappers, like really, you know, it's the human talking about subculture like he came from that kind of like yes, that subculture of like Ritz and Wolf and Haystack, and he was he was really in the streets and for sure, but what what what what I mean? Obviously you guys also have a platinum record together at this point, we do a creature. Creature is platinum? Yeah? How cool has it been? Just as somebody who knows Jelly and and and it's obviously broken bread with him.
Speaker 1: But just it couldn't happen to a better person. It couldn't happened to a better person. And he's so thankful it couldn't happen to a better person. He's always been stand up cat you know what I mean, him and Travis going back and forth because he didn't want to release save Me, you know, to his fans, because he thought that they would be making fun of him because he's singing. I'm like, dude, your singing voice like we did Easier for you, ef you man, I'm like, when he sang on that easy up for you, I'm like, dude, your singing voice is crazy, though, you know what I'm saying. And then save Me.
Speaker 2: Took over. It's just one of those beautiful songs ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Eminem just reused it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: In fact, Eminem sampled the song that was like five years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so crazy man, But it couldn't happen to a better human being.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, it's dope to just see. Like I'm like, that's why I try to tell people. I'm like, if you knew Jelly, because I would always tell Jelly the same shit. I'd be like, brother, Like as soon as people just like get to anybody who knows Jelly, when back then, it would just take people to meet him and they'd be like, y'all love this guy. I might not know him, but I just love this fucking guy, and it was almost like the world went through that experience himself.
Speaker 1: He don't have to put on a mask or anything. You know what I'm saying. I don't mean like a mask to put on them somebody, like a fake persona. You know what I'm saying, because my mask was really going on inside. You know what I'm saying. But he doesn't have to put on a fake persona to be jelly roll. He's jelly roll everywhere, you know what I mean. And people love that authenticity, authenticity, and it's gonna be him and until he's ready to say bucket.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah, you mentioned earlier. Certain fans will like point some of your older albums. If you in your estimation, let's take the new album coming out out of the equation, what would you what would you say is your best album? I'm sure it changes for you all the time.
Speaker 1: They are all my babies, man, tell them this all the time. They are all my babies, from Angelic to Absolute Power to the vintage Tech too. You know what I'm saying. Ever ready to all sixes and sevens to I got so many, man, It's like I'm on album like twenty five or twenty six right now.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: I think ever Ready was the turning point. You know what I'm saying. Like, we was out here, Bias One was giving me beats and we were all, that's Richie Abbit over there. You know what I'm saying is that I'm looking at yeah out here. I took so many turns. You know what. I realized that y'all gave me a Jay Dilla CD back then that I don't I remember seeing that. I never really got into it. And then years later I realized that I dropped that ball I'm talking about. We was doing ever Ready. They was giving me you.
Speaker 2: Had his Diller Beat CD full of them.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, And I'm like, you know, buys One, like you need to check out this dealer guy. I'm like, okay, whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Caribou's on ever Ready right.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, care Blue come Gangs come Gangster, right Baker. You know what I'm saying. The rain, Yeah, that was the turning point when we got with When we got with Fontana, that turned into Ingrows that we're with now. You know what I'm saying, Uh, that was a turning point. Ever Ready, that's a big one. Rick Rock is on there you know what I'm saying with my wife, my bitch, my girl and no can do you know? Rick Rock just came through and just dropped some barrier shit on us. You know what I'm saying, Like for real, for real, man, ever Ready was the turning point for Tech nine to get really really massive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like Everready has, especially if you like, I mean, if you go to one of your shows, it's like there's like there's certain songs I've noticed you like move in and out of the set list, like like like, yeah, it was one of my favorite songs, but I haven't heard like you do, Like yeah for some I have years, but like that album has got like they ain't going nowhere in the set list, you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, Man, ever Ready, I would say every Ready as the turning point. It's not my I can't say it's my best album.
Speaker 2: What do you think is your best? Though?
Speaker 1: I don't think I think they're all the best. My nigga, Have you heard Frank Hellic Angelic come on?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: For sure Angelic Tormented from Tormented to the song with Roger Trappman at the end. You know what I'm saying, Twisted, you know what I mean. It's like angelic is you don't skip it. You know what I'm saying, you can't skip it. Absolute power industry is punks to whatever. This is me or whatever. You know what I'm saying. Do you remember, Uh No, that's not that's ever ready, this is me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Do you remember you're recording stamina in the in the studio.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: You want to hear this story.
Speaker 1: So I've always had stamina in my mind. You know what I'm saying. I want to shoot, I want to wrap to a gun. You know what I'm saying. So me and don Wan's in his basement and he sets the m p C three thousand or yea to this swing. That's kind of like the way you make me feel like, uh, Michael Jackson stamina. I'll be damn if I ever be took away by the demons. I'll never be what the weather win. That was the rhythm I come with the heater cleverly Nigga went out and will never be so killer Flow Zilla Gorilla and Flow was a fella meee, I'll be in the line Hella doing time for the Tech nine is so he said, you got to play it because you know what, I'm like, pop up up. I did it. So I told the one I got on the I got on the mic. I said, okay, now speed it up. Stemina Stamina. I said, keep going, Stamena. And when he got into the first perfect pitch, I was like, Stemina, I'll be done. Ever be took away by the demons that never be what. The weather went, hythm come with the heat cover leaue nigga noo, the one ever be so killer. If I was a fell I began to lie doing time for the now you know what I'm saying. He's like, what the fuck? Yeah? I did that Ship of the Road Dogs. We had this album. We had this song I'll call Let's get fucked Up. It's fucking the town up. So def Jammer came to Kansas City at this place called it wasn't called uh this name at the time, this club. I forgot what it is, you know, since down there on the East side where the Essays are, and they had they had this thing that was like a not a talent show, but a industry party where people will be showcasing, saying a showcasing. And me and Roddargs went down there. I remember, I just came out here from QD three and I did a photo shooting. I had that ship on. You know what I'm saying. I had my special boots on, my Kenneth Cold boots on, and all them niggas was dressed in their bloodshit. You know what I'm saying. I came out there and I started out and I Chris Callico said, he was in the crowd. It was Boulevard Knights. Now this's the club. That's what I just thought about it. Boulevard Knights called that. Now it's called something that then. Back then something was back then. I did that ship, Chris Callico said. When I was in that crowd, man, when you first did Stamina and that whole place went up. When I did it first live, when I said Tech nine and the whole place stood up, I just fell out laughing.
Speaker 2: Did you always do the head cock? Yeah, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah yes, because you have certain songs, you have, you have your like. I wouldn't necessarily choreography, but you have your like, your moves, you record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had don Wan put the cock click clack, stamming up. You know what I'm saying that Tech nine, you know, I knew exactly how I was gonna do it. I had it in my head and uh, next thing, you know, I did it at this place called Maniacs and Independence Man and it fucked everybody up. I think Twister was there or something like that, and fuck everybody up. And I was doing I was doing that Einstein and let's get fucked up with the planet Rock with the rogue Dogs, you know what I'm saying. And Uh, I just knew I had some special with stamina, so I left it back there in the nineties. Now, recently, I did a song called RDV on my new album fifty A sixteen fours. We just put out videos out the videos out, so I thought, at the end of the song, when I'm talking about giving a salute to some of the rogue Dog villains that were not with us anymore and the ones that are still here, I thought I'd give a salute to my soldiers. I thought it was worthy of medalling back that, I mean, dialing up that stamming a style and yelling out all the names. And it's effective. Still I still I did it again. This time me and Bengineer did it and we didn't have to use the MPC three thousand. You know what I'm saying. It's like, Ben, let me going there on a metronome and do that shit. Sippy Bigs are a picture star, demmit star, Williama? Send this League one John John, Michael werber TONI D, Tony Kennedy, Doctor Bob, Marty, Duken, Fly Mac. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: I'm like, just on those names, put the put that AK forty seven sound, you know what I'm saying, or the sk sound on top of it. You know what I'm saying. It's just as effective as it was in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy because it's like one of those moments in your live show that like it doesn't take up a lot of space, but it's so like like again, if you don't know Tech nine and you go and see you see do you do that? You're like, did this motherfucker?
Speaker 1: Just yeah?
Speaker 2: Wrap over a machine gun.
Speaker 1: For a long time, I was doing it at the beginning. Now I've been doing it at the end a lot lately. You know, at the end of my show, you know, boom. But when I did the show with when I did this tour with Falling in Reverse and Blackveilt Brides and all the other guys that are on the tour, Dance, Gavin Dance. I felt like this was a new crowd, so I put it at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Right and let them just to just to be like, hey, yeah, you pay attention.
Speaker 1: I had. I took it all the way back to O two when I was on the ICP tour with the high top boxing shoes, you know what I'm saying, and all that kind of shit. I brought that back with the scrubs and uh, I had stamina at the beginning right into industry as punks like I used to do, and it fucked them up. And I had my band with me playing that shit. Yo.
Speaker 2: You you mentioned your album number twenty five, twenty six, whatever it might be. There's been a trend going on in music recently where a lot of people's catalogs are getting bought. Oh yeah, have you and Trav ever considered listening to those convos?
Speaker 1: No, not now, because when it comes time to sell, we want to have something in the selle. You know what I'm saying. When we if we ever sell strange music, right, you know what I'm saying, We've we've done a deal with the.
Speaker 2: Streaming side, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But other than that, all the pub listening, everything, all hours, you know what I'm saying. And uh, other than that, man, no, man, we just steady building.
Speaker 2: What was the catalyst that implemented? Because I always talk about this on the show with certain artists, I bring up your guys's the tour regimen is pretty wild, but specifically the rules. Yes, you guys will find people, Yes they break the rules. It's it's it's very like it's a professional setting. But it wasn't always that way. What what happened was it was it? What was the thing that kind of was the turning point where you said, hey, maybe it was a Travis thing, but hey, we're not fucking around here anymore. It's too much to lose.
Speaker 1: This is the rules with any rule system, the fuck ups have to happen first.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if MGK is having food fights at you know, saying the buffet spot, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys had MGK during his wild really literally like let me.
Speaker 1: Just fuck up a hotel room. Yeah, it's real. It was real for sure. I'm talking about Golden Corral. They kicked us out, we were banned from all golden corrals around the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Crazy because so was an MGK that started the rule book. Was he the inspiration?
Speaker 1: He got a lot in the rule book? The rule book started before him.
Speaker 2: Okay, but but there's like you can point to the rules now and be like, don't.
Speaker 1: Climb and trust, don't don't don't do this, don't throw food, don't fucking tear up, don't fucking paint the motherfucking venue walls. It's all mg K, you know what I'm saying. But everything that Me and Cut did not Chris Calico, because he's always been the same, right, everything that Me and Cut did, you know, like fucking fat bitches and ship and then they sit on the toilet and break the toilet and all the water goes everywhere and floods all the fucking you know what I'm saying, all that ship, and we got to pay for all this and all that ship. It don't have don't fuck fat bitches. In the then rule book, it's just saying, be careful what you do in the rooms, because we have to pay for everything to mess up, you know what I'm saying. But all the ship that we did over the years, you know, don't have sex in the bathroom on the bus because you're gonna break the sink. You know, stuff that happened, you know what I'm saying. So with any rule system, we had to do all that fucking up to get all that in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I remember when Dizzey Wright was on tour with you guys meet and him would be talking and he'd be like, I'm just getting fine every day, man, because I got to smoke, right, because I can'tnot smoke.
Speaker 1: Well, you can smoke, you just can't smoke on the bus, right on the bus right sometimes on the premises they don't want you to smoke. So, you know, because if you break the rules, you can find yes, you do, yes, you know, it'll start low and then they'll go up to five hundred dollars if you do this. If you if you transport fans from one city to another to another, you know you can't do that.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's like what you call that ship, you know that they'll call that something. Yeah, they call nowadays it's human trafficking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's trafficking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if you if you fly a girl out for the intent of sex, it's human trafficking, even if it's weird. Well, yeah, there are like some of these things, like obviously Diddy is a piece of shit, but some of the things are saying did he did? I'm like, well, like ninety eight percent of every rapper and hip hop has flown a check out and gave her some money. The fuck I ain't, not necessarily, not directly, but like, yeah, let's go shopping, let's go, let's go get dinner. Ye, let me pay for the fly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're you're indirectly Pavel.
Speaker 2: But for sure, Yo, there's so many of your records because I know you're such a huge fan of horror movies. You are a horror movie buff. Yes, yes, what's your what's your goat? But like, what's you likely your top three or four hor horror movies of all time?
Speaker 1: I'm the lyrical Michael Myers man, everybody know that.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. So it's Halloween, do you, fellow? Did you love the rob Zombie Halloweens? Of course I loved them. Yeah, I own all of I know that they're very like ow all of I think they're polarizing for some people. Yeah, on all of what do you think about terrifier.
Speaker 1: I love terrifier. I love art. Now, you know, I've seen all of them. I saw the three hour one, me and my wife. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the new one was pretty crazy. It's like Christmas movie people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people were leaving out. You know what I'm saying. People were leaving out. We were we were on rooms laughing.
Speaker 2: But I feel like some of your records could be horror movie Csycho Bitch.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing. I hear. A lot of people say that I'm a horror core a rapper, but they don't know. I've never looked at myself as.
Speaker 2: A horror core I don't think you're that at all, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying. But a lot of people think that because of my darkness. You know what I'm saying. My darkness is my life. Psycho Bitch is real stories, right, you know what I'm saying. But when you get into ko D, that's when the lines get blurred because I got things on there like black in the Sun. That's my imagination and they will put that in the horror core bracket, I think. But I've never looked at myself as a shock horror core MC. I've just I've always been infatuated with the darkness, per my Christian mom, Marty Soyer's.
Speaker 2: Khalifa, And if you listen to KOD, it was was show me a God kicking that off.
Speaker 1: Yes, show me a guy. Yes, but all that shit is dark. But it's my life. I've always wrote my life. I didn't ever have to say things to really shock anybody, but I've done it in my career to where I talk about nipples and noodles and ship this in my mine. You know what I'm saying. Because I'm a horror fan, you know, but I've never looked at myself in that horror genre like Grave Diggers or when it when WU Tang them did it Netcrow? I don't really know if Neckro did that all really know?
Speaker 2: But no, yeah, but Grave Diggers with Prince Paul and Rizza, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. You know what I'm saying, flatliners and all the mothers I've never done. I never aspire to be that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like KOD was like, if you're in a dark place because of what you're going through with your with your mind, like you're going to create a dark So.
Speaker 1: With the face paint and the Bishops Robe. They thought horror core, you know what I'm saying, And that's what people were like.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious, Like you're such a visionary, like at a certain point in time, like I can see you like executive, Like I don't know if it's directing or executive producing horror movies or or just getting into like flashing out some of these ideas you have.
Speaker 1: I got with Joseph Bashara. He's the composer for you know, the music for the Conjuring, for Annabelle, for Insidious, he's the Red Devil and Insidious. Joseph We've worked a couple of times on music and I, you know, would Rob Pryor. I've built with him, you know, on images coming out of my head. You know, he's a comic book artist, you know what I'm saying, one of the best. I've talked to him about getting stuff out of my head, and he's drawn things are creatures that come out of my head, and we got it in our books and stuff like that. But I haven't done it on a level to where I took time to stop touring with Tech nine and writing albums commitment. That's a big commitment to do movies. You know what I mean. You know, acting feels weird to me. I've done a few. I've done The Devil's Carnival with Darren Bousman, you know what I'm saying. And I've done one back in the day with Denny Treyo called Vengeance. You know. I've done the Life of Lucky Cucumber with the Jackass Dudes. You know what I'm saying. But every time I've done it, people say I do it well, but I feel weird. I feel weird trying to be somebody else, and I feel comfortable doing music though.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So directing out of the comfort zone. No, no, No, directing is good, but acting, no.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, I would say, yeah, I mean I think like, I just feel like, if you know you have the you have it in you to do it. Yes, I do, Yes, I do.
Speaker 1: I just I just wrote seventeen episodes for my audio series fifty sixteen four US, so it's going in that direction.
Speaker 2: I love it. Yeah, man, did you ever really let a stripper burn you on the arm with a cigarette? Look at it? That's okay, Look at that, man.
Speaker 1: That's that's a cigarette. Ten times in a row. If you see me, do uh am? I psycho on stage? On stage, I'm holding my mic and I'm pointing at it. Why do I let the stripper burn me on my arm with a cigarette and the saint about ten times on the road. And I feel that when I feel that burner, palm could arrest I'm gonna yeah, yeah, it's right there. That was in my high day that night. Like it's like a couple It happened a couple of times right there. Happened a couple of times. Then the room I realized it was damaging my beautiful skin. Yeah, no ship and I'm like, I can't. I gotta stop this. Yeah, you know, I was on big XD back then, big shrooms, big g hb out of all. You know what I'm saying all the one time, you know what I'm saying, liquor everything all at once. I'm still here. That's crazy. I'm still here.
Speaker 2: Thank god. You you weren't You weren't on those runs when Fetanah was so prevalent.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I never. I never putting none.
Speaker 2: I know back then. Though, you know what I'm saying, Ecstasy now is pressing pressed with fantom.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, yeah, everything, you know what I mean, crazy, you gotta be.
Speaker 2: Just be super super careful these days. If you're partying, Damn, you can only eat rooms and smoke.
Speaker 1: You see that, you see you see you see that, you see that. That's That's when I was being a fucking weirdo and fire against my skin in my mind felt great, right, but my skin, my skin, my skin would be pink and bleeding. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: The night for sure, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: She got she's smoking, sitting next to me. She's right here, I got my handles. Man, I'm like hit me with it every time, and she's like, you know all remembers, like you're fucking freaky, Like shut up, just keep burning me.
Speaker 2: What's next for a Strange? Strange music obviously is a powerhouse. I mean, I know, you know you guys can kind of switch to like more of a distro model recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it goes up.
Speaker 2: What is what is next for for Strange Man?
Speaker 1: Next for Strange just fifty eight sixteen? Next for Strangers, ISO's new album X Rated. You know what I'm saying, Hush Joey cool j Jerry Robinson. You know what I'm saying. We're not slowing down, bro, Bro, you know what I'm saying. They I'm getting I'm getting way more polished with my writing. I'm getting better with my songs period. And we're all elite. When I say we all, I mean all my artist and myself. I didn't eat no breakfast today, man.
Speaker 2: Makes two of us. I'm off a fucking energy.
Speaker 1: But this was the first thing I had to do. They don't even have no fucking water in my room when I was in Australia. Man, Yet they have water. You can go in the mini bar and get two waters. And I ain't got shit in this but anyway, they just want nigga die. But anyway, it's next for strange. Man, it's we're doing bigger tours. Man, We're doing better music. No sign of slowing down, man, You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Was there ever any truth I had heard and you tell me this is true or not that you guys had talked about maybe signing Bone Thugs and Harmony at a certain point in time. Was that ever sniffed around about? Like, was that ever anything that almost happened?
Speaker 1: I don't remember this. I don't remember this. I know we're on tour with them and O three and we've done you know, shows together lately, but uh, I don't think they ever needed it.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's fair.
Speaker 1: I don't think they ever needed it.
Speaker 2: What was there ever, anybody who you guys were talking to who I mean, obviously, I feel like jelly Roll is a big example of somebody who kind of came on board with the distro side early on when you guys started the distro thing and it turned into you know what we see now? Yeah, yeah, shout out to yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure, fucking Grammys and shit?
Speaker 2: Was there ever any artists who almost did a strange deal who just for whatever reason just never hop.
Speaker 1: Hopson pre funk volume Yes, Wow, Hopson and Dame came into the office.
Speaker 2: Wow. What I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Travels was trying to get me to listen to Snow the product for two years before I did, Please, man, listen to this. I never did.
Speaker 2: And look Grammy nominated, Latin Grammy nominated. She's She's on Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, that's one of my favorite songs on the album.
Speaker 1: She's On a Cosm. You know what I'm saying the later is she on I'm trying to think a lot of ship. She's on a lot of shit with you. Yes, she on one with me and Russ. That's my favorite right on the album. Yeah, man, you know what I'm saying. I think we could have had Snow. You know what I'm saying. I don't know why. I don't know what I was doing in my life that I never listened and and that's why we've been We've been connected since way back in the day, right, I mean Snow, man. I think she's an elite lyricist, but she's a songwriter, man, And she's diverse.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is man like, she could do anything that. She's crazy and she's so like, she's like she could hold her fucking own.
Speaker 1: It's like a mother.
Speaker 2: Fight.
Speaker 1: Always put her at the end of our wrap and everybody. That's why I always put her at the end of the song crazy. On my last song, I got Kevin Gates on it. It's called ZOD It's me Joey Cool, Kevin Gates and Snow. At the end, he says, she said, not take put me on the last verse again.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: She start off like that you know what she's worthy of that ship?
Speaker 2: Did did you?
Speaker 1: Guys? Ever?
Speaker 2: You know who I when Funk Volume broke up, somebody who's a close friend of mine, who I think toward with you guys too. Jared Benton's like my brother. I love that. I felt like it would have been perfect, like a perfect marriage because Jared Benton is is also like very like he's a crazy bastard.
Speaker 1: Well he is. But when when Hop and Dame broke, I didn't want everybody to come to Strange. That would have been ship like that. A lot of people when the when the split happened with a Brainstick and Iso, they's like, but you said you wouldn't sign them niggas from Funk Volume, but you signed Iso. I was like, Iso was a different thing than me because they fell out because of me, because I did bad juju with Iso, and then the bad blood started after that, you know what I'm saying. So I felt like I owed Io what he wanted from Strange, you know what I'm saying. So he wanted to tour with us. I got a net and I was always talking to twisting and saying in between that, Like you know what I'm saying. We have texted. He's like, that was the kick in the that was the kick in the gut. I'm like, no, man, don't look at it like that. Man, I'm just trying to help young brother. You know what I'm saying. This, that and the other and but the funk volume thing. I just didn't want that, you know, would hop to be like, damn, man' just gonna take all my artists.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. That makes sense, Worldwide Choppers, would you do another one?
Speaker 1: It another one? It's called speed Him with eminem Now.
Speaker 2: I mean another one. I know that speed Him is like I keep in mind.
Speaker 1: I had people slated for speed Him. You know, I'm like, I had Daddy Yankee. Really, you know what I'm saying. I was, I was in contact, you know what I'm saying. I wanted Nicki Minaj. I wanted Kool Egga from Germany. I wanted.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you this, I'm sad that we never got rits on a worldwide Choppers. Don't worry, but listen.
Speaker 1: I wanted Gabby gabb female artists from Atlanta. She had already sent her verse in for Speed Him. I had all these people. I had more people slated. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I just can't remember what's Eminem calls though. It's like, hey guys, this is something.
Speaker 1: This is Travis saying, Man, you cannot put all those people that people don't you know on the song with Eminem and you you know, he just wanted to be me and Eminem. But Chris Calico said, I got to get some of that, bro. I had to give it to Chris Calico. I never listened to his verse. I didn't want to be influenced. And after I did my verse, I did my intro. You know what I'm saying, because I knew once I sent it an m it's so dope, he's gonna do it. So I'm talking about him in the first little eight bars. I guess not because he'd be the guest spot. You know what I'm saying. I knew, you know what I'm saying. So I did my verse and I did my last verse with all the el's, I'm theory of the final fight. I figuring on fight audit and send it to him. Travis's like, man, we got to cut all the other people out, man, So when we dropped it, it was speed them worldwide choppers too, So the fans are like, this is not Worldwide Choppers. You know what I'm saying, I'm not.
Speaker 2: The spirit of the first one.
Speaker 1: They was upset, but they had to give it up though. I had to like have a rebuttle, like we're the dopest rappers worldwide, so so.
Speaker 2: You know in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know it was bullshit. Yeah. So like in the last three years, Like three years ago, David Banner was sending me beats and he sent me this Annie Lynox beat man, this dun d D. I said. I was like, oh my god, I found a new world wide Choppers. But it was something. It was another ship that was in the beat that we couldn't get clarity on the clearances, you know what I'm saying. So I never got to do it. And I'm like, now I could bring NICKI Minaj back, I can finally get Daddy Yankee, and I can finally get j I D And I can finally get you know what I'm saying, whoever want to go. You know what I'm saying, whoever want to go? You know, I can get Foster from Nigeria. You know what I'm saying. All these choppers all over the world, man, you know what I'm saying, Fucking hurricane finally from Kansas City.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Just suss Mace, you know, from Topeka, just all these people. You know what I'm saying, King Ioul haven't been on one yet. You know what I'm saying. And who would you say, rits haven't been on one? You know what I'm saying, Just do one? You know. So as it stands now, if a beat is worthy, because I said, it's on the table, because I said, I said, me and my nigga twist the ruler and this it at the end of speed on. Because everybody who's done it thus far from Eminem to everybody, from k Deane to Crazy Bone to who de lo can dilemma, all the people Chris Calico, all of them in are in my circle of choppers. So I said, if you ain't in my circle of choppers, you missed it. Because me and my doing nigga twist the ruler and this is it. This is it. You know what I'm saying. And uh I said that. But now I'm thinking, if I find the right beat, nigga, We're gonna go again. We're gonna go again. World wid Choppers three. Fuck that, you know what I'm saying, because I'm getting more crispy, and you know, I'm tired of racing motherfuckers, but I'm down to race still. I'm just tired of racing, motherfucker. Everybody to send me a track, want me to race. I'm so tired of racing.
Speaker 2: It's almost like when they think, oh this is we need to put Tech nine on this one.
Speaker 1: Hurt me on the fucking n F track. Trust yeah, everybody, no nomber death bring up. I'm just going, man, you know what I'm saying. Everybody want to race? You know what I'm saying. The one with me and Chris Webby, we just did feel like it.
Speaker 2: I feel like Mexican OT could chop two pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Mexican Ot is another one. Mexican O two is another one.
Speaker 2: Mexican Yeah, I met him.
Speaker 1: MEXICANOT is indeed a chopper is one that I would call for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So if the beat steps up, the beat has to be massive because all the world wide choppers from Midwest Choppers one to Mike West Choppers two to Worldwide Choppers to Worldward Choppers two speed them. These beats are massive bullshit. That's beat to send motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know, I really I know NICKI Minaj can do that ship. You know what I'm saying. I know that. Let me see, I know that. Uh, Denzel Curry can do it.
Speaker 2: Logic can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Logic can do it. He had a, he had a, he had a he had a chance to do it on Rocha. Yeah, he didn't do it after a Joiner though, But then they got together afterwards and did one together and was hard. Yes sir, yes, yes sir, yes sir, but forget he can do it for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you and Chris talk still a lot?
Speaker 1: Or it was my brother beyond music?
Speaker 2: I love Chris Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, you know what I'm saying. You know all the time, you know what I'm saying. I got him in my phone under son of Sam because his name is Samuel Christopher William Washington or Sammy William Christopher Watson, you know what I'm saying. And I called him a son of Sam because his dad's name was Sam. You know what I'm saying, Chris the best always Son of Sam is in my favorites.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Yeah, that was like when when you guys had that moment at Red Rocks. It felt good just because I know both of y'all.
Speaker 1: And then he just came out and surprised everybody and did Anxiety with the Casey Orchestra with me Casey Symphony. He came out at the end and they fucking blew the fucking place up. And I like doing shit like that because people think that when people leave it's bad blood. But Cosm, you know that it's no bad blood. You know what I'm saying, Not at all. It's just people going on their own to leave something for their children. Yep, you know what I'm saying. Because me and Trave already got strange music for our children and our families, you know what I'm saying. So motherfuckers want to go on their own to start something on their own, like may Day.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, man, you know what I mean. And they're still on. It goes up all day, all day, So no bad blood at all. Scatter managed snowb brim all that ship, man, you know what I'm saying. I don't know if Travis and Cuddle ever rekindle.
Speaker 2: Hopefully one day. Yeah, time hotel I've never seen never would be nice to see all on stage one more time.
Speaker 1: I think. Cut he's like a minister now, man, I don't know if he'll do that.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: He said, he said he was battling demons and ship when he was with me, you know, And.
Speaker 2: I mean he was also with you in probably the wildest times. Oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So if he looks at strange music as he's going to have to battle demons war, I don't I don't know. I don't expect, I don't suspect that he will even think about doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard he was driving the church van and all that kind of shit. So who's to say that he would even want to do anything like that.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a fair point, man.
Speaker 1: And make no mistake, there's no demons over here. It's only angel baby worldly angel or angel babies. Make no mistake. The demons and the angels are within ourselves, you know what I'm saying. And we have to we have to figure out which ones are we going to give power.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me what's been different about being a dad at this point in time of your life than being a dad at an earlier stage in your life.
Speaker 1: When I had two children at twenty two. Aliah was the first. Dantees was right after I hit the road like crazy. That's why I made the rain and O six. Yep, it's hurt me that I was missing birthdays and missing graduations and all this kind of thing. Now that we had Alena doing less shows, bigger shows and less let's dates, I'm home more and it made me realize how much time I didn't have with my children that are thirty now and twenty six and thirty one and all that kind of shit. I have more time now at home, and it sucks that my kids had to endure my absence.
Speaker 2: But there I'm sure like they also probably appreciate. I mean, you say you have sacrifice tattooed on your I mean yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and they we have a brand new relationship. You know. For a while, me and my first Aaliyah, she was like, not on my team. She was like not pro daddy, you know what I'm saying, And for a good reason. And lately in the last year she said, Dad, it's like, you're all this new person. Now I don't have any more insults for you. And I'm like, I'm sure you'll find something soon.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Really good, man, really good. We're starting a new chapter with Aliyah, Rainbow and Dantees And now Lina's here and my wife has Bella Isabella. You know what I'm saying. She's she's going on seventeen and we're all a family, man, and it's time to start creating new memories.
Speaker 2: I love that. Man. Yeah. Well look Tech, the new album is.
Speaker 1: On the way, the sixteenth Forest, This summer new tour is coming. Yes, yes, sir, Hollywood and nine tour. I might be going back with Ronnie Rocky soon, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And then you got something going on with the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I did the World Cup Sonic. I d for k C. Man, you know what I'm saying. That was a flex, you know. And they chose me. They called FIFA called me. That's strange. Talked to Travis and said, we love Red Kingdom and we love what y'all do. We want Tech. They didn't want words. They thought I was a producer. Wow, So I'm like, uh, write, I write songs. Yeah, That's why I'm the only ID that has lyrics, right, you know what I mean, because we pushed it, like listen to this, you know what I mean. And I fucking did Tech nine on it, you know what I mean. And they loved it, and they I did five different versions and that fifth one they said, yes, that's dope. I had too much in the hook. I guess.
Speaker 2: I feel like you and Travy eventually are gonna own the pieces of Royals or the Chiefs or something.
Speaker 1: Everybody say you need to run from Mayor. I'm like, I don't know if I want that job.
Speaker 2: No, you just got to either bring an NBA team to Kansas City or or or you know, buy a chunk of the Royals or something, yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, or build my amusement park strange Land man or that yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You guys got so much other building.
Speaker 1: I'm building roller coasters in my notebook, man, I've been doing it for the last four years. I'm like, but it's so it's so intricate, man. And if I saw short of the drawing, man, you're laugh like, an this is ship I've never seen. And my daughter I was going through my pages. It's like the fact that you're even trying something like this on paper is crazy. Dad. I'm like, I know, I'm to go to sleep. I was doing my mantra this roller coaster I see, I'm going through the motions of what it does and how it goes up and goes down this hole and cone at the bottom that you go down and around and it's crazy. I'm I'm asleep by the time it goes back around. It goes frontwards and then it goes backwards.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like you guys could do. I feel like if you curated a yearly haunted experience. Of course, like all you know you go to haunted houses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course we went up that could be a Halloween, that could be a strange music Halloween. Before last, me and my wife and some friends we went down to Universal Cities in Orlando.
Speaker 2: Right, you go to the Halloween hornits right.
Speaker 1: And the weekend had a fucking hunter house.
Speaker 2: Dude, he's had a hundred house three or street. That's fucking crazy, insane.
Speaker 1: And you can see all these ones where you know, you have the boh and all of them are jumping out at you. I'm like, I do people are gonna be fucking petrified, homie.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm saying like you could do it in case of course, Yeah, I think that would be crazy.
Speaker 1: I just need to take time.
Speaker 2: It's about the time still doing music. It's about the time.
Speaker 1: It's about time.
Speaker 2: It's about the time, man. So well listen, brother, I appreciate you hanging out. We finally got a pod done. I mean we've how long was it two hours or so? We've We've done so many interviews over the years. Yeah, yeah, yeah. This one was the first time I ever had you on my show was in two thousand and nine and Boise Idaho you Wouldn't Merge came in freestyled, Yeah, and you did. Uh. I forget which verse you did you did?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was one of the verses off Tech Night Collapse, probably where you were I forget yeah too. But yeah, man, it's been, it's been. It's been dope to just.
Speaker 1: A long time. It's been. It's been good to see your ascension.
Speaker 2: Too, brother. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man, You're a fixture and this ship trying, brother, Yeah, for sure, damn.
Speaker 2: And I try to do my part to always mention you, bro when we talk about every time.
Speaker 1: Every time you do they my fans send it to me. Yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, I appreciate it. There's always some connection with all the new the new guys too.
Speaker 2: That's what I always say. I'm like, yo, like I like feel like when it comes to like a certain like pocket of the underground world that I kind of came up pushing, it's like my responsibility to be like Yo, Yellow hangout for the Mexicano TA interview we're about to do. You were there that night? Oh, like, oh you were there? I was fucked. Yeah, you know it's like like, you know, like, how how can I try to bring like either artists who I feel like would be dope to that world or just you know, shine light to like right to some of these guys who are you know, I consider to be goats? You like yourself? You know, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you get the recognition and the greatest of all time convo? I'm sure you don't give a fuck, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't get that recognition because, uh, I don't need I don't need it. I don't need I don't need I don't need thatccolades from anybody. I just do music and if people like it, I love it. You know what I'm saying, And I don't need validation from people or the culture or anything. You know what I'm saying, But I would like it.
Speaker 2: No, I know you would like it. I know, I know like it. I mean you like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean? And uh, I mean fragile.
Speaker 2: One of your biggest records is literally about people critiquing.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, yes, sir, yes sir. That's why I took the time to do that on a song like that, and it blew up on the radio. I had no idea, But I don't need it, but I'd like it, you know what I'm saying, because I put a lot into what I write. You know what I mean. I always have. And over the years, you hear all the new generation talking about Tech nine. That's the validation right there. You know what I'm saying. You hear you know, L Russell talking about Tech nine. You hear Russtop about Tech nine. You hear all these people, Playboy CARDI. You know what I'm saying. You hear all these people. I just met Offset at the super Bowl and as soon as he said Tech nine, he looked, he smiled, and he said, legend, man, Legend, you know what I'm saying. It's like, that's validation right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like all that other shit you would like, but that is as rewarding to hear from from the peers, from your peers and from like a whole new generation that aren't necessarily your peers.
Speaker 1: And them to do a song for you, like to speed.
Speaker 2: The man that's val doesn't do a song for anybody, No, man, for sure, you damn you gotta signed to him to get a burse.
Speaker 1: All that's is validation. You know what I'm saying, Two chains, Bob, All that shit is validation. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Kendrick Lamar is validation.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We shooting the video in Kansas City for Fragile. We're sitting in this super cold outside, so Travis got his RV down there and we're in the RV trying to warm up from the top is with him and he's like tech Fragile's dope. Man. You know what I'm saying. That's Kendrick talking to me, and I'm like, thank you, brother.
Speaker 2: It's been cool to see just topped off evolve as this like powerhouse. Right. It's it's it's it's insane. And and I I mean, and I'm sure if you asked top he took I'm sure a lot of inspiration and he learned a lot. I learned a lot from his experience with with y'all and putting out that J rock album.
Speaker 1: Man, yes, sir, And what's happening to them? Man? Him and Punch and all them is? Uh is astronomical? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And Kendrick is beyond the Stars.
Speaker 2: And then it's like removed Kendrick all that all the Stars is. I don't know if you heard her album is.
Speaker 1: She Is a Monster?
Speaker 2: Is my favorite album last year?
Speaker 1: And and and and dude, how do they find these motherfuckers?
Speaker 2: She's an alien creatively.
Speaker 3: Man fucking lyrically inclined, conceptualistically incline. It's so c MC song stress everything.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, damn, like, y'all really got whoever? Like you know? Shouts to uh top Son Musa's who I believe signed? Uh Dochi? Really yeah, Musa signed do I? So it's like, man, good, that's a grab right there out of Tampa too. She's out of here, man, she is out of here? Yes, yes, yes, yeah, Well listen brother. I appreciate you. Uh man, I'm just I'm a fan bro first, you know, and obviously her my friend and and uh, you know, I feel like a lot of a lot of people if you're getting into the music industry, like you're watching this and you may be like, man, it's the first I heard of tech. Like, hey, man, like, if you go take this rap shit series, you got to like study what you do.
Speaker 1: Exactly for real. Yeah, it's a blessed position being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when I think of all this independent ship, it's like hot all of a sudden, I'm like, man.
Speaker 1: They but just don't don't think like that, because they all to me and say, if it wasn't for you, for sure, man, you showed us early on. Man, they all say it, they all give they all give it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, man, you change I mean, whether I mean, I'm sure you know, but you changed the rap game for real, whether or not as sonic sonically or but the business of rap music has changed because the.
Speaker 1: Strange track record that's untouchable.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Travis two, who's got way too many cars. He should let me have one, and uh he's waiting those cars.
Speaker 1: Man, he's in the car business.
Speaker 2: I want to give shot out to Travis two for being the buffet old man. They don't just the cars from that motherfucker. He's lifting a lot of weights. Oh yes, he is jacked.
Speaker 1: He ain't. He ain't big trave no more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what's so funny is like I don't think people would understand because early tech shows Travis would be on stage of security is certain shows you'll still see him standing. Will you ever bring the face paint back? Because that's it, that's a commitment. You got to have the face paint guy on on. I forget that over the years. I forget the old guy who used to paint your face. Yeah. Scenario, yeah, scenario, that's right.
Speaker 1: Scenario before scenario that was Craig David. He died before. The very first was Brian Dennis, he died. You know what I'm saying. My last was second to the last was Jose Ramirez. He quit. He wanted to be at home with his little girl, Millie, you know what I'm saying, to raise her, which is noble. And then on my lapt my fifth one was Ubi from Sess Crew. He's too massive of an artist to be following me around and over the years started you know, Brian Dinnis started the skull face. Then I just started doing my forehead, but over the years turned into my whole face and my whole head. That shit takes three hours every night.
Speaker 2: I feel like when you did the mask, it was a perfect compromise.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, take it off. Called Corey Taylor. I said, listen, man, I can't afford to keep taking, not money wise, but like the time, because the time. I can't afford the time, and you be being an artist that's on the incline. I cannot. Hey, man, we got to go to fucking UK if you could paint my face and he got to have his shit held up?
Speaker 2: No, who's making the slipknop mask? Give me there?
Speaker 1: Saying no, I called Corey Taylor and I said, listen, man, I need a mask that can endure a two hour fucking show. And y'all the only ones I know that got him for sure, he said, Jake Rounjass California, gave me the number. I've been fucking with Jake on like, I think we've had three or four different versions of the clown thus far.
Speaker 2: You know, what I'm saying, that's dope.
Speaker 1: And uh, I think for a show maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe for the thirty video. What about for the thirty year anniversary.
Speaker 1: Maybe for a video or something. I'll call Ubi and see if he's in town and will three hours to do my fucking whole head.
Speaker 2: I feel like y'all got to do like a crazy show for the thirty years. The thirty years are strange.
Speaker 1: That shit used to burn my eyes like crazy. Oh, I bet know what I'm saying. So the Silicon mask man really helps me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure? For sure. I can only imagine I'd be like, damn like that shit is a commitment every night, yeah, man, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, every night, three hours. The last gathering we did, he had to paint my face three hours before I went on outside back in here.
Speaker 2: Walking around sweating before the show. Anyway, for sure, man.
Speaker 1: It's hard, hard to do, hard to deal with the face plants, A hard commitment because the way I see the clown morphing, it keeps getting worse and worse every year. You know what I'm saying in my mind, You know what I'm saying. With the corrosion and everything. So I don't know, man, maybe I'll sit down for three hours. I won't say never though, right I like it? Man, Well, listen, Tech, I appreciate you pulling up by the album. This summer tour coming. When's the tour start day after tomorrow? Oh yeah, you're you're locked in?
Speaker 2: How many from Australia? Like twenty something bad? That's something light for you, twenty five? Anything under forty is light work for you. Ain't for sure, you know what I'm saying. So hey, man, Tech, go go see him on on the road. The new record is out right now too, so you can go support to the new singles out right now. Yeah, the new record in the new record, don't come out to Uh. Well, when I think of record, I think of a song.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can say that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the technicality new record RDV is the new song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's out.
Speaker 2: Go watch the video and Tech, I appreciate you pulling up, brother, Thank you brother, Yes, Sir Tech nine, Yes boom