Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes? Are you ready for a break? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Votch Lombardi, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, June fourth, twenty twenty five, Season twenty one, episode number thirteen. Welcome to LED's edition of breakwere live from that s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star Wars presented by LG. LG is the world's number one ol at TV brand for eleven years in counting See why at LG dot com Forward slash.
Speaker 5: O led Evo. This is the next to last show Man.
Speaker 4: We got a whole group of people out here watching kids from the neighborhood come through to see what we're doing here on the air, here on the break.
Speaker 6: You don't want to do for a living for kids, go make some money and happy in.
Speaker 3: School, eat your vegetables, eight hours asleep.
Speaker 5: There you go, there you go, you vitamins, there you take vitamins.
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I haven't taken vitamins.
Speaker 2: Growing up Flintstones, vitamins.
Speaker 3: From National I don't know if they have vitamins and Nationals.
Speaker 2: I don't know they do.
Speaker 5: My mom grew up there, and yes, I assume they have.
Speaker 3: I ain't seeing. No, we just got it naturally. We would just eat our vegetables and that's where we'll get them from there.
Speaker 5: You go, Hey, that works all right. This is our next to last show.
Speaker 4: We only have one more show before we take a little break here.
Speaker 6: Wow, yeah, that's amazing watching working to check us out are Yeah, no worry about and we'll take.
Speaker 4: I always believe that during certain times of the year, and this is the only time of the year when the team goes away. The only time we really have anything to talk about regarding the team is if something bad happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that gave me.
Speaker 7: You have no idea how you just changed my life. Really, you gave me amazing news. Yes, well good, yeah, have you done this?
Speaker 2: You know, we take a break.
Speaker 7: For us forget. I'm just you know, I just yeah, the timeline wasn't time and anyway, we'll see.
Speaker 4: A well we have we have we have this week and we have next week, and then we're gonna move on and get ready for training camp, and we'll be out in training camp later in July, and we'll have lots of shows teeing up at that time, and then obviously kicking off the season went back to our normal daily schedule once we hit September.
Speaker 5: Today, though, I want to.
Speaker 4: Talk a little bit about the OTAs that have been happening over the last couple of weeks. We had some media availability yesterday, and where I want to start. I have a few observations, just things that that were either said or were noticed yesterday, and uh, there aren't questions. I'm just gonna throw them out and I'm just gonna free for all and let you guys talk about whatever those observations are.
Speaker 2: Let's start for know, your talent is what you do I do.
Speaker 4: Uh, let's start first with my comparisons. He was at the Star but did not practiced yesterday.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: He is expected though, to be here next week for the management as he said, he mentioned that he expects to be here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Stephen Jones was asked about his absence and whether it bothering. His quote was no.
Speaker 4: As part of the business all teams go through it and that's part of the business.
Speaker 3: Thoughts man, he said, I don't want to hear this no more. I don't want to hear any more question the the What is he the vice president of co?
Speaker 2: What is it like?
Speaker 3: Like, what's his title Stephen Jones' title? I think it is co something something you know, player person.
Speaker 5: He's definitely sweet, an owner and.
Speaker 3: Something something fancy see Cowboys doesn't want to talk about Michael Parsons no more so. I imagine that it is frustrating. I imagine that he's sick of hearing about it. But what you're gonna do?
Speaker 2: Player?
Speaker 3: I mean you you you're gonna give him what they're asking for? Or are we gonna continue to play chicken? I think with certain kind of players, I don't think you should negotiate or you you you shouldn't try to well, can you let me slide on a million here? A million there? Michael Parsons is arguably one of the best players in football, not just defense, not just edge, the whole football. You can nickel and dime Donovan Willis. I ain't want to say now you can nickel and dime some other players. You can nickel and dime some of your new linebackers that you just brought in here vet minimum these guys, get ahead of it, Stephen Jones, get ahead of it. Pay them whatever they want, whatever stupid amount of money that's gonna make him the highest paid player on defense. TJ. Watter pass it in a little bit. Somebody else is passing a little bit. Some new defensive player will make that a deal in five years time. So let's let's stop playing today. Let's stop. Let me ask this question. That's this question.
Speaker 4: You're making an assumption sure that whatever the hold up is, or the reason why the deal hasn't gotten done is because of money.
Speaker 3: If I was Steve, are you certain that that's the case. If I was Steven, I will say it. I would like, Hey, they don't like X y Z. The money's there, we're offering them because they want.
Speaker 5: To play the no I heard you said.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, are you sure that that's the case. I don't know nothing, because okay, so I guess the point the point I don't want to in this hall, and I can't leave this hall. I don't know care get I guess the point of what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: The debate team so I just think I think the seats no.
Speaker 4: I think we have to be careful when we make assumptions on this kind of stuff, because we've seen in the past that some of these things get held up and they find out later the money wasn't issue, there were other things that will be negotiated by the way, Brian, you've seen this.
Speaker 5: These contracts have a lot of stuff in them.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of language and a lot of stipulation, and sometimes those are the things that hold up a deal more so than the money.
Speaker 3: So even if in the contract somewhere there ask me, even in.
Speaker 6: The d of the contracts, he said, Brian, you know these contracts, if Michael Parsons want to escalate per year, it's just say Noah, say yeah.
Speaker 3: That's where I'm able to say no, saying.
Speaker 4: What if he's dug in, I want to escalate and they're like, well, they not give you escalated with giving you sixty million.
Speaker 3: Dollars whatever the number is is the is the best player in football worth the newest escalade per year? And if not, you move on. You call somebody, see if you can get some some draft picks for one of the best players in the whole league and just and just go from there. But if not, he is do what you gotta do is gonna stick.
Speaker 2: You gonna get Steven Jones.
Speaker 3: You gonna get whooped in the gun.
Speaker 6: Stephen Jones is frustrated right now. He's frustrated, Lewis. He can't and you know, you cannot. He cannot catch a break. And here everybody's gonna sell it broad us your you're you're going for the Jones is here today. Now, I'll tell you the side of it that I believe is the fact that he is in a situation where he cannot get contracts to get staggered.
Speaker 2: He can't.
Speaker 6: He's got two three contracts he has to work on every single year.
Speaker 2: He can't get the contract staggered. And all of a sudden, now.
Speaker 6: He's in a in a in a little bit of a of a little bit of a situation where all of a sudden he's had to pay for the highest paid. He's had to put out the money for the highest paid. You know the thing with Lamb that turned into negotiation and it was a holdout and all that he got the OsO Diggy Zoo a deal done because they went under market. Valve he got digs money done because they went under a little bit under market value. I think Stephen Jones will negotiate with you. I think you have to also look at the other side. I think you have to look at David Llagetta in this situation. Why would David Mulligetta even want to take your call. He knows what he knows what the guy got at the Raiders, he knows what the guy got at the Browns. He's thinking probably that ballpark. Stephen Jones is now in a situation where like, even if I keep trying to make offers to these guys, they're going to continue to say no, They're just gonna David Mulligetta has no reason to take his call. That would be very frustrating to me. If I was going to try and negotiate a deal like this one and say, listen, see if I could bring this thing in at thirty seven to five instead of forty forty one or forty two, that would be very frustrating to me. I think that now you have agents that know that the cowboys are over a barrel, and when it comes to these negotiations, they've done a great job of assimbling players for their roster. A great job. Now it comes to having to pay him. But these agents have seen what had happened over the years with these negotiations. It always ends up in the favor of and it's in Stephen Jones. I think when he yesterday lashed out a little bit, you know, he lashed out and said, you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to talk about this anymore.
Speaker 6: I sense frustration because he doesn't get to do what he does best, and that's negotiate.
Speaker 3: So these agents, right, and let Brown, we're not fighting and we're not fighting there. But these these agents, they represent players all over the league. Right, So this is me asking because I don't have a question. I don't have to answers. So why is it that the Lions right back to back within three weeks? We can go, all right, But a sail gets done, all right, Jered God gets done all right? Two or three other people get done. The Eagles back to back to back to back. They find money, They find money to just pay everybody back to back to back to back. Why are we the only team? It seems like, hypothetically, in Vaci's mind, it seems like, oh man, we gotta wait till the last.
Speaker 2: Oh, you gotta get ahead of it.
Speaker 3: You're right about to wait till the last minute for Mike.
Speaker 6: But you, Zach Martin, I think you're the situation too though, where these agents are holding them up. I think to deal with Dak Prescott again, Brian brought us talking here. You know, not anything from Dallas Cowboys dot comery thing I've heard of in the building. But you had Todd France change agencies on on these guys. They thought they had a deal and all of a sudden France changes agencies. Look at all his players that year, the year they all got franchise tag. He didn't negotiate with anybody because he was leaving one agency to another and he didn't want to put old business Dack old business with that old agency. So to me, sometimes you got to catch a break on these things. Sometimes it's not just the Joneses, sometimes it is the agents. But what what does David will get it? Why even does he have to take this call? He knows what the numbers are. Stephen can't Stephen really can't negotiate with him because those are the numbers.
Speaker 2: That's what a negotiations about.
Speaker 6: Hey, let's see if we can fall under this, let's see if we could get under that number.
Speaker 3: And what you think, Brian, Again, I have a.
Speaker 7: Couple of things. Number One, you mentioned the Eagles, and it's an interesting point because I think that's the initial perception when you talk or look at what the Eagles have done and start comparing with what the Cowboys have done. Derek and I have been in a meeting where it was somewhat explained to us because it's again it's a very complicated thing, like you need it all mapped out because there are so many players on the team and every like it all. It just comes in pieces together, and it's not you're not just talking about one year, You're looking at multiple years and all that. But my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, Derek, I came out from that meeting with the with the assumption that every team goes through a certain cycle. You're gonna get to a point where the Eagles are not gonna be able to do what they've been doing, and then the Cowboys is gonna be their turn to kind of reset and restart with this all these contracts and again, very complicated topic. Don't know exactly how it works, but I think this is the one year in the in the limited capacity that they had with the salary cap and everything like that. I think they've been able to manage this off season really well in my opinion. Of course, you still need to get this guy done. Michaeh. We've been talking about it. We're about to go back to training camp. I remember being at training camp last year and him being asked a question about the contract, and something else that I was gonna mention was the changing attitude. I can't speak about the conversations that have been done between his agent and Steven Jones, Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, but one thing that it's clear, and we've been seeing all the way back since training camp, whether it's genuine or not, whether it's fake or real, the fact is Micah has started changing his attitude. Now sure, looking for that contract, but he started doing things that he hasn't necessarily done before. For example, even though he hasn't been at practice, yesterday was the Cowboys media days. This is the time that Mike, those who know he don't typically show up to everything, he will not show any by.
Speaker 4: The way, He's not the one there are high profile players and say I'll do this, I won't do this.
Speaker 7: It's that's yeah, yeah yeah. But he's one of those. And then that if he do do something, he's not necessarily in the best mood and you just gotta deal with it. But again, I just want to contrast, contrast previous year to right now. He showed up yesterday, He showed up, even did some Spanish stuff, which has never.
Speaker 5: In my whole life. But he speaking Spanish.
Speaker 7: He he participated, he did good, he did good Spanish.
Speaker 3: Don't they don't. They don't let you know. You a't supposed say certain words. But on that point.
Speaker 7: I heard, I've heard yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, go No, he does not. I really told him off air, and I told him there does not approve, So I was gonna say. Also heard from different stations like the photography station that he was in a great mood and he did so good. So again I think the willingness sure is there that you see some participation, not in full capacity because he's not showing up and he's already said he'll be there next week and he said he's going to show up to training camp regardless whether or not he has a contract. But it is something that shows some change and shows some that they're working with. He's not upset necessarily, and he's willing to keep putting in the work in a certain capacity.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm just bothered that, you know, we're in this offseason and we see Miles Garrett say, you know what, I'm sick of this Brown stuff. I'm sick of football and my and my contract is going to be complex too, but I don't want to be here. I'm leaving. And then next thing, you know, Miles Garrett is this big stupid contract. He's like boy Brown for life, y'all. What we're doing at quarterback right, like just at the you know, not the snapper, you think hyperbly, right, but maybe like in a week or two weeks, we're gonna really wait this whole thing. And I hope that we don't get to the end of training camp and now we're like, okay, well Michaeh hasn't worked out and now he needs five weeks.
Speaker 4: And I can ask a question on that, please on the Browns. How many big contracts do they have on their rush?
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's I'm just I want to make sure again, that's totally let's do the full thing.
Speaker 5: If we're gonna use them as examples.
Speaker 4: No, if we're gonna use him as example, though, I want to make sure that we're comparing apple stapples. I don't think that's of the apple stapples comparison.
Speaker 3: Maybe not apples to apples. But in this case, if you're the jones Is and you've paid this player, this player, this player now your best player, like he's the Browns best player. So if Michael is one of our top three guys and we've paid these I'm like, man.
Speaker 4: Michael, Michael, Michael is not and will not be the highest paid player on this team even when this still is done.
Speaker 3: But even to that point, they knew Michael was coming. You know, they knew that this Like they set it up to where, all right, in this amount of time, this is gonna happen. Oh Michael going crazy. So you know by year three that he's gonna be looking for something. This should have been in their mind or I'm not telling him how to do their job. I didn't go to school for this, but I'm just saying, maybe that's maybe there's a way to get around this and maybe nickeling down somebody else.
Speaker 5: I think those are all fair questions.
Speaker 4: I just want to make sure that we think about it from the standpoint of it's not always just as simple as we'll just go get them whatever he wants. I think there are a lot of things that have to be negotiated, and there are a lot of things that have to be negotiated on both sides. Both both parties have to be willing to make the negotiation, as Brian was saying, but there has to be a coming together of ideas for them to actors get the deal done.
Speaker 6: There's no sense of urgency for agents to deal with the Cowboys. There's no sense of urgency none, because what happens is and to be honest with you about the Browns, you can look at the quarterback Watson and then also Denzel war are two high, very high paid guys for them. But you look, there's no sense of urgency and that and and and and this is just where we always like to say in the media world it's a small sample size. It's not a small sample size anymore. It's not you see how some of the contracts have been done here and how they've been structured, and I don't think it's always fair to the Joneses, but this is where are at right now because agents can wait you out. Nobody wants to have to sit there and deal. They would love to negotiate in good faith with them about Michael Parsons, or with Dak Press Scott, or with Ceed Lamp or all these guys. You know, we say they wait, they wait, they wait. We don't always know. On the other side, I think agents hold the Cowboys up. I really do. I think I think Steven Adam, Todd Williams, everybody that does a contract upstairs.
Speaker 2: I think they want to negotiate. I really do.
Speaker 6: I think they want to be a part. We've seen though, when it's Osa and others. I brought that up. We've seen digs when it was when it wasn't the full top deal for corners. We've seen what negotiations look like on certain players. But these top players, though, it has been a struggle.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 6: Again, I don't think it's all Dallas Cowboy's faultier. But if I'm an agent and I'm sitting there and I know what type of player Michael Parsons is, I'm not picking up the phone. I'm going to make you wait every single minute on this one.
Speaker 7: And that's what's difficult because you do get that sense of, oh, there's no urgency because you don't see things actually happening. But even though you're waiting and waiting, and we've seen it case after case, at the end of the day, for the most part, they get it done. The Cowboys end up signing it.
Speaker 6: And that's why Stephen Jones is pissed off right now because he doesn't get to do with the Joneses. The Joneses are tremendous. We could talk about all the things that they do on the football side. These folks are billionaires because of businesses that they run. They negotiate, they know how to talk to people, they know how to get deals done. That's something that they are good at. You know, now they're getting their ass kicked on the football side of things because people are not willing to step to the table and negotiate with them because they know that all of a sudden, if you hold them up, pull them up, holding up you know, Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones, they know they have to trying to build a football team here. They felt like they had to have Dak Prescott that was worth them to put that check in front of Dak Prescott. You know it's gonna be worth. It was worth them to have ceede Lamb. They put that check in front of them. You know, they're small hard enough to know that their best players need to get paid. They're just not getting to negotiate like they're really good at in my opinion.
Speaker 5: All right, we're gonna tack our first break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we're gonna talk about some more observations from OTA's who get on the field a little bit, talk about some of stuff that was happening out there will be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radiable.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 9: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five g for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 10: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: From the field to the festivities. Lou Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're t gating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at Lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 13: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 14: All right, folks, let's get started with the Yeddy French Press and Joe Calvin This Day's Hot for Hours and French Press thirty four as for U six four with the cruise yetty French Press.
Speaker 2: What mixed waterproof bags?
Speaker 14: Bags of waterproofs, some Where's wall waterproof, Devil's waterprove bag bags for as most of the watershed.
Speaker 5: To get a waterprove Yetti bag.
Speaker 14: Gonta smell something cooking po New cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, commagce, pot pie and ptatoes. Next over with three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 5: Gear gifts and product experts.
Speaker 4: Visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at south Lake Town Square.
Speaker 7: Today back to the Break, lg oled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com, slash or let evo.
Speaker 5: Welcome Back.
Speaker 4: It is the second segment of the breakwill life from that w a BC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment, brought to you by blockchain dot Com. All Right, so we were gonna take a I was gonna take a right, and in the break, I think we decided we want to take a left because we got into a conversation I thought was really interesting. Brian, you teed up the question, and I thought it's a really really great question. If let's assume that that Pickens has a really great year and you get to next off season and you have to make a decision as the Cowboys on resigning either deron Bland.
Speaker 7: That was your question, go ahead, nought, I was taking I was taking credit.
Speaker 5: Great question.
Speaker 2: I've learned not to interrupt my teammates.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't let you say go ahead, please finish the question close to to tell you the question.
Speaker 4: The question is if you had you had to choose, would you take would you sign Pickens or would you not Bland. I made the arguments, got no trouble. By the way, he has a great year because exactly what you asked him to be.
Speaker 5: He comes in. He is a one B receiver.
Speaker 4: He has some games that you don't win without him making plays that he makes. All those things off the field, there are no problems. He is the model citizen, He's a great teammate, all those things. I still say I go with Bland because I think in terms of replacement value, And the point that I was trying to make is I think you guys are talent evaluators. That's what you do with the draft show. So you might have a different opinion. I trust your opinion, but I think there are more talented wide receivers out there than there are talented cornerbacks.
Speaker 5: I think there is a larger number. So for me, it's.
Speaker 4: Harder to go out and replace a Bland than it is to go out and replace a Pickens. That's nothing against Pickens. It's just saying there are more of them out there. It's another reasons why you pay. As we were talking about the first segment, you pay your top flight pass rush because there aren't a lot of those guys around, Like, it's hard to find those guys. What was the argument you guys were making because both of you guys thought you'd take pickings over Bland.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely taking pickings, and there's a lot of context that I would add to it. First of all, how the Cowboys operate, you know what I mean, Like we're drafting and we're not gonna go find help outside. Okay, we found pickings outside, but boy was that rare. So what I'm thinking is if you're winning games, you're gonna be drafting late in the first Okay, So if you so those top tier wire receivers you're mentioning, for the most part, they go one to fifteen. They go really high in the draft. And maybe it's like a new trend or something like that, but all the best corners that me and Brian and you know draft guys and gals that we love. Those corners end up going later. Joey Porter, Terry and Arnold guys, Cooper de Jean, those guys, they end up going later. Trevon Diggs was a Round two guy for US. Bland was you know, hitting GM. Win't gonna take craft for that one.
Speaker 4: But it's like, although y'all did get it right on the draft show, you weren't a part of that, but they did. That was one guy they were touting a lot on the Josh I remember hearing that going on.
Speaker 3: Pay roll then. But but in my mind, yeah, you can find receivers, and maybe other teams that draft high in the draft can find top tier receivers. But if you're the Cowboys and you plan on winning and you're in this Dak Prescott win though you're gonna be drafting in the dag On twenties, you can't find me a wide receiver in the twenties. That's like George Pickens. I think George Pickens is a bona fide dude, Like he's in that lamb ilk. To me, maybe not a top three guy in the league, but he's in that twelve to fifteen. Those guys are like top tier two. I love Bland, but when it was time for Bland to be wire, you know, cornerback one DK Metcalf had a lot to say about that and we had to call Gill like, hey, Gilly, can you please take care of this? Or there have been times where hey, Jordan Lewis was the best corner in our group of corners or whatever. Right, I think, just me personally, I think Cede Lamb having a running mate is more valuable than your cornerback room being being full of guys, so to speak.
Speaker 6: I think everything you said is absolutely right. And I say that because you know, when you look at it though, overall though that that's the one thing this team really really needed. You know, you have this outstanding player in Ceedee Lamb. You have a quarterback that's very capable of getting a football, but you're just it's just really like the old one one trick Boney situation. You know the fact that they felt like that, hey, we have to go and make a bold move to go get a guy, and they did that. You know, I mean, that's bold to go get a guy that people think, oh it might be a little bit of a problem, might be a locker room problem.
Speaker 2: All these things like that. No, they said, no, we need.
Speaker 6: It's it's so important to us to go get a guy that can play outside. Now what do they do in the draft? They might have addressed the situation though with with Revel. And I'm saying this because I think that Revel kind of falls into the group of.
Speaker 2: Guys that I look at.
Speaker 6: I look at how these these quarterbacks and the names or the names are like we were talking about the Cooper de Jeans, the Patrick Certant, Garrett Williams is a guy that plays very high level there at Arizona. We don't know a lot about him. Trent McDuffie, Derek Stingley. These are guys that have to line up on a weekly basis and cover these big time receivers. But the every one of those guys that named are super talented guys. The thing about it is, though this team needs a wide receiver opposite lamp, and they went and got one. I think they And the thing that's terrifying to me, and I'll just say it one more time, is that that he has a great campaign. But then you're not allowed or you can't go and get him and keep him as part of the offense, and get him going with Dak and with CD and and helping helping this team score.
Speaker 4: Well just as much as this team needs a second wide receiver opposite Lamb. We were watching last season when Trayvon Diggs went down. It ain't nice when you don't have two, maybe three, really really good corners in this league, because you will get beat up. Yeah, And I do think like I agree with you. I think Rebel can certainly make me think a little bit more about whether I would say I can do without Bland. But man, I still believe in today's NFL because of all the good talented wide receivers there are out there, if you don't have a bevy of really good cornerbacks, you are gonna be screwed. And I feel like the Cowboys fat they stole one with Bland to let him walk away after after his first contract, I think would be a travesty.
Speaker 7: I gotta start doing hancing. I know, I feel it.
Speaker 3: I feel it.
Speaker 7: But now it's my turn. Okay. I think one, we're having this conversation way too soon for my liking fun conversation. But I think there's still a lot more to see of what actually developed throughout the season. I will say I'm totally with Derek, and I think at the same time, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I think you can make a very very balid point for both things, but with their own bland Although you say, and you could technically find guys to be at corner, but a guy like Blent is not easy to find. Not only is he the only issue he's had was that injury that he dealt with that kept him out, and that was tough, and you got to look at what the team and the defense can look like without a guy like him. He's been such a solid guy, not a diva. You know, some corners are a very diva like ish, very constant and the type of guy that you want in the locker room. So that is not necessarily always something that you see all the time. And he has again that record breaking season. You cannot forget about that. Something that the Cowboys lacked last year was the turnovers, the interceptions, and where was Blent, you know, recovering and then he got a chance to come back for a little bit, but it wasn't there. And I'm expecting hopefully he gets back into that form shown he can do it, and I think he is a game changer for the defense.
Speaker 2: I'll help you make your argument here. Ag.
Speaker 6: Philadelphi Eagles were clearly a different team with Cooper Dejene and then Quinn Mitchell. Their defense went from like one of the worst when it came to playing past defense. You know, if you look at the year before and they and they moved on from Maddox and others. You know, they just said, you know, we're not good enough.
Speaker 2: Well they do.
Speaker 6: They drafted to Mitchell and then also Degene and that made a huge difference in their.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl run.
Speaker 6: So that is if you're looking at that side of things, you know, and I to be fair like, I say, I just think that to me, with the investment that you've made in your quarterback, you better find a way to help him as much as possible because we're gonna have to get to a point where, maybe two years from now, where the evaluation is like and I'm just saying this as.
Speaker 2: The evaluation and it's not working.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 6: We all go through life and we all make these plans and stuff the things we're going to do, but then in two years, three years from now, we're saying it's not working. I want to do everything my power. I've helped him potentially with the play caller. Now, I've helped him with potentially new offensive line coaches, maybe some new talent at right guard, maybe adding a receiver. But the evaluation, at the end of the day, the most expensive evaluation and the most important evaluation is who's playing quarterback. And if I don't have George Pickens playing out there, and it's Tolbert and others who have kind of just every year, I've kind of said, I need this guy to improve. I need to No, I know, I got a war daddy out there playing right now.
Speaker 4: And I agree with the concept that if Pickens is not going to be here, you better replace him with somebody who's talented. Because I agree with they're going to need they need to talented wide receivers. I agree with that part of it. I just think if you're faced with I got to replace a top notch corner or I have to replace a top notch receiver, I think you have a better chance of replacing that corner. I mean, I'm replacing that wide receiver. Then you do that corner in one year's draft or in free agency. I just think there are more of them. I just think there's a better chance you can find that guy at wide receiver position.
Speaker 5: Then you can find that guy coin.
Speaker 2: Now I go flip Miami two and I'll go get Jalen Ram.
Speaker 3: I think I think a corner.
Speaker 2: I think he's Miami Dolphin. Yeah, I think, yes, he's a miamiphin.
Speaker 3: I think I can live without like a lockdown corner. It'll be cool to have a lockdown corner. But like, as long as your corner is not like that.
Speaker 4: Plan ain't a lockdown I don't call Bland a lockdown corner. Bland is a guy that can get turnovers and not only that, he can get turn ups and tournament to points. That's what I love about him, and that's the thing that's uncommon about him. You go out and try to find that guy that's a hard guy to.
Speaker 3: Replace, even even if he's like a regular degular guy that just doesn't get like, he doesn't like, he doesn't get picked at all. Like even he's just a regular okay, cool, just don't get because in real life, rebel may be that. This year, I think highly of him as a prospect.
Speaker 2: But you're stolen there. I think so.
Speaker 3: But I'm thinking like year two or three rebels, that one rebel may just be a solid, cool, good corner. I'm cool with a solid a solid, cool, good corner. The Cowboys are gonna have to play against teams that put points on the board, regardless of who you got lined up at corner, because we got corners and and we have Trevon di is called eleven picks in one year, and Bland can lead the league and pick six and all that, and teams will still find a way to put thirty and forty on you. I think you need firepower to match that. That's just my own take.
Speaker 5: All right, we're gonna take our final break. We will come back.
Speaker 4: We got some more observations, maybe we get to them, maybe we find something else in the break we want to talk about.
Speaker 5: We'll be back Gallaway Radio.
Speaker 15: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead EVO TV.
Speaker 3: That's because everything.
Speaker 5: You see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 15: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close. Lg O led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o lead Evo.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never for United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 17: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 3: Be beat better yet.
Speaker 17: Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The wins will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 5: Erica, how much have I spent on concent.
Speaker 13: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored. Quality assurance, message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details. Back to the break.
Speaker 7: Atn T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to did you want to talk about what we were talking about in the off I.
Speaker 5: Was about to say, are we going there? We're not gonna go there, not gonna go there. Now we're just talking about family. It's not my family. Got a lot of kids in the building.
Speaker 4: Today is summer camp's rolling through doing tours, so keep saying welcome kids in the building.
Speaker 5: Thanks, thank you for coming to the media, and enjoy your summer camp.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about a couple of other observations that we had from OTA's Let's go on the field. Elie Cooker, Uh, he had he left practice during warm ups. Actually I was adving supposedly reports he was having backspasms.
Speaker 5: Nothing serious that that I've.
Speaker 4: Heard, but that being said, I thought the interesting thing was Elijah Clark is a name that I started seeing him get some work in previous weeks. He got more work yesterday to hook her out. Even Janya Thomas, a safety, they had him kind of working in the slot a little bit yesterday. Talk to me first about Elijah Clark. What have you seen from him? What kind of Scotty report can you give on him? Because he seems to be a guy that has an undrafted, drafted free agent is at least he's getting some opportunities.
Speaker 3: Versatile player, tackler, very active in the run game, you know, kind of long lines up everywhere, deep strong nickel. I don't know if he's gonna have a whole bunch of nickel in the league, but as Syracuse they did it. Pretty rangy player active, you know, I wouldn't put him at a one high rangey guy, but he could be like a two high rangey type guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is a guy that you talk to people in the organization usually when they go after these guys, usually when it's you know, when when you can this is one of those cases you can actually follow the money a little bit. But here is one of the guys that got one of the larger UH signing bonuses, if you want to say, of the rookie undrafted guys. And so that told me that he's somewhere between the fifth and sixth round on their board what they were able to do. So here they are picking off guys that are on their draft board. I think Vatch gave you the right thumbnail about this kiddy. It looks kind of like a corner he six one eight the way he's built.
Speaker 2: UH. But he is one of.
Speaker 6: Those guys that he does play downhill, he does tackle well. I think he saw the field pretty well. You suck out the range and what his ability Matti RIFLEU is playing a little more single high with some of the stuff. He'll play the two, but the single high, and you could do that with this guy. So I don't know how much you want to put him in coverage stuff underneath the nickel corner kind of slot player. I don't think that's his cup of tea. But you talk about a guy that's physical downhill and willing to throw his body in there and make tackles. But he evidently he's a smart guy too, because this is not the first time that we've seen him get work with these with the first defense one of the first times the observations that we've been able to make in camp, he was kind of working in So this tells me they liked this kid, sat on their board at a pretty high spot to be drafted, didn't get it done. They went and got him. Probably a smart kid. They're now putting him in there and seeing how much he could really learn. Throw a lot of things at him, and then when they get to camp, you could really see what kind of player you have in him.
Speaker 7: But you can start just by looking at practice and seeing that and the fact that he's been given in those opportunities, that's already telling enough that that's someone okay, they really really like, because you don't tend to see, at least from my experience, you don't see that a lot, a whole lot during this time of the year until you get maybe to training camp and you see more of those battles on the second team and all that. But again, for someone that's undrafted, which you know it's not that you're taking somebody else's spot that's ahead of you quote unquote, that tells you a lot that he's putting in the work, and I would expect and think that it also goes to what they're doing in the classroom, what they're studying in those in those meeting rooms that it's from the head being smart, and those also when they're like that in the class I'm rambling here what I'm trying to say. When when the mind is there and you're putting in the textbook work, it creates more opportunities for you on the field. So it again, it's just the two on two and it's a guy that we're definitely going to be keeping an eye on.
Speaker 6: The one interesting one though, I think you need to look at though, is with we mentioned Parsons earlier in the broadcast, donovand Azeraku has been playing a little bit of Michael Parson's role at practice, playing at that linebacker, the rush guy.
Speaker 2: Then the good time.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry about if you have a but yeah, I think that to me, I always look and see where guys are lining up where we're playing. You know, watch and I were doing our show last night. They're doing all Right podcasts and we were talking about uh with with Elam and like it seems like that every practice, you know that we've been able to watch Elam's making place. Well then okay, well what's where's guy's lining up now? Oh Rookie as Araku? Oh wait no, Michael Parsons, Oh wait, he's standing up always playing outside as a rusher. They're kind of seeing if he could take those those Michael Parsons type snaps. And maybe if you have a situation where Micah does get tired or it has to come off the field, that maybe as Araku in their mind, is going to be a guy that they could plug in and play those spots real quick.
Speaker 4: I also wanted to mention as a part of conversation with having with a lot of regarding Elijah Clark, this often happens sometimes when you get a new coordinator in, they have different schemes, and so you'll start to notice that some guys that may have been a part of.
Speaker 5: The previous regime, uh, maybe they may not have.
Speaker 4: Necessarily the particular skill set that the new coordinator would want. What do you know, guys know about how let's say Zimmer chooses to use safeties versus maybe how flu flus uses safeties, and maybe if there are any differences that we should be paying attention to as we're watching these safeties during training.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of single high stuff with with Flus, you know, and you know he you know, he comes from that. Originally he was with the Rob Ryan administration and then he's transitioned into the Rod Marinelli who would play a lot of cover too. You know that that we always talk about the Tampa two stuff. But you see if but if you look at the metrics, he's a single high guy, is what he is.
Speaker 2: So he's talking about Flu.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he's he's he's at the at the at the Bears, they were doing a lot more single high stuff there, but you know it was it was like say, with Zimmer, it was a lot of just you know, a lot of that where he was playing that's a single high stuff and then he was kind of adjusting for what he had to do.
Speaker 5: So similar from the safe foot they're at similar.
Speaker 6: But more I think more even more with Flus. I think more with Flu. Flus is a ton of zone defense stuff, where Zimmer was more a lot man.
Speaker 3: Zim wanted to do everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Zim wanted to do everything.
Speaker 3: This is going to hyper focus on.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly and see I think guys too, like I want to say this, I think that a guy like Janier Thomas gets a fresh breath of air with a new coaching staff. I remember talking to Mike Zimmer about this last year in training camp and asking and asking him about how he liked Donovan Wilson and Hooker and all that he was. He was really really on board with both players. But then we come to we have a change in the coaching staff, and now you see, you know what happens. We get tender offers, we get contract offers, you get Thomas signed, you get Bell signed. That's telling me that Fluc and these guys have coming in and making an influence that way, that they like what they've seen with these two guys, and so now they're gonna get more of an opportunity. This might not bode well for guy like Sam Williams, who is also in that situation. He's trying to get healthy, but now his sponsors are kind of out the door right here, So you know, it's there's a lot going on here. You know, when it comes to coaching staff, sometimes guys go, I got a new chance, and the other guys go, damn, my guy's gone.
Speaker 3: Some guys can't get hurt like some guys do not have the luxury to get hurt. Like there are some veterans to where they feel like, if Okay, I leave and I come back, I'll still be fine. There's a lot of young safeties in this room or in that safety room that are just waiting for an opportunity, and I think if they get on the field, I think it's going to be really hard for you to get them off the field. There's a lot of guys in their linebacker room that are fighting for their life, competing and competing, competing. So if you're like an old veteran life back Clark, if the moon and Clark, you've been in this team for a long.
Speaker 2: Time, interception yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you got some guys that been drafted last year, drafted this year, some.
Speaker 2: Sign sign guys, two guys.
Speaker 3: Some of y'all can't afford to miss a week here, a week there. You gotta stay healthy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's no veteran day off this year.
Speaker 5: That's easy for you to say.
Speaker 4: Those veterans like I need a day off every once, not this year, not this year.
Speaker 6: On the way, there's something I would like to see though, the training cramp, training camp practices something like that. Training camp practices, you know, I'm interested to see how those are going to go. But I really do want to see a preseason though more veteran players play. I would like to see more of an how is this going to work?
Speaker 7: How is this going to you have to I don't see how you don't with what you got waiting for you on week Once.
Speaker 4: Didn't it made me see, Yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 5: I just do.
Speaker 4: I do think obviously this year they're starting on Thursday night, opening the season against the defending champs. I do think that that I will be interested to see if they look at preseason now. Part of it might just be the coach has a different philosophy, right, we got a new coach, but I would I would love to see how I want to see how they address that and if they will and at least give him a few reps veterans, because these last couple of years it's been like literally they just don't play.
Speaker 6: I do not I do not have any any thoughts that, like, you know, to me, I look at like I was with Andy Reid and what he does in Kansas City, and obviously they've had success, so they have pat Mahomes and a lot of other things going for him there. But there's some teams that do that absolutely take preseason seriously in that way and get evaluations. And then there's some teams like the Rams, that guy does not care about what's going on in preseason. But I think, I think Dallas me personally, this is being selfish. I want to see this offensive line play together. I want to see him have a little six. I want to see if Miles Sanders really can. In the last couple of times we've had media availability, Miles Sanders has come out as a guy that's got some juice to his game. I'd love to see him run the ball a little bit, you know, and see if, in fact that we get some some block and it's protection and and go that route and kind of have a little positivity going into that Thursday night game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, between all the new coaches and all the new players, I almost think you have to in order to just get them prepared for the upcoming season.
Speaker 5: It's one thing.
Speaker 4: We have a veteran team that's pretty much stayed together for a year, two years, three years, whatever the case might be. But this team feels like there's so much newness that I just feel like it might be necessary.
Speaker 6: I think some of the slow starts that they've had offensively have been because they don't play preseason games.
Speaker 2: That's just me, all right.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you guys joining us. That's a wrap. We'll be back next week.
Speaker 4: We'll wrap this thing up for this offseason and then start getting you guys ready for training camp. Till then, for Box Lombardi Brian brought us in Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.