Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Welcome to move the sticks? DJ, Buck with you, Buck? What is going on? Man?
Speaker 2: Not too much, DJ.
Speaker 3: This is a great opportunity for us to have a little pot that'll be a little Bucky and Jaguar centric. As we talked about the three piece, and I got to tell you, I wrote an article this week on the Jags, namely Trevor Lawrence and how the Jazz can get them up and going, and I have to ship like, I got a lot of notes and a lot of commentary on the three piece, but I was like, Hey, I can't take that. That's a move the sticks thing. That's something that we created here. That's not a Blucky thing. We have talked about that, And as we get into this little thing on the Jaguars and how they can get Trevor Lawrence up and going, I wanted to make sure that everyone knew that, Look, that is something that we've talked about on this podcast forever in terms of how to get a young quarterback up and going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like some of the things we've trademarked over the years, the three pots with trademark trucks and trailers. Definitely to revisit trucks and trailers. By the way, that could be a fun little offseason project for us. Identify some of the some of the true trucks in the NFL, and then maybe some guys that are trailers wanting to become trucks. That's a fun little assignment for us. But take us behind the curtain here, buck on what you learned.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that you know is buzzing around the league like Trevor Lawrence. And I think the reason why Trevor Lawrence's name it list is such a strong responses. Trevor Lawrence signed a five year, two hundred and seventy five million dollars deal. He was the number one overall pick, and I mean going back to his freshman year at Clemson, he was hailed as a generational talent. When he selected number one overall, people are still waiting to see him be the general rational talent. That mean he hyped him up to be entering the draft and coming into the league and so he has had a bit of a topsy turvy career in Jacksonville. Some of that is because he's on his fourth dad coach in his career, and he flashed you saw we saw the playoff game in twenty twenty two when they came back and knocked off the Chargers won a wild card game and move forward. But it's been a lot of ups and downs with his career, and so now Liam Cohen is hired, James Glastone, the general manager, comes over, Tony Boselli is elevated to EVP, and so they're trying to figure out how do they unlock this player that we've talked about for so long in terms of being talented, and then going to Jacksonville recently and then looking at the team and the moves that they've done. To me, it was a reminded what we've always talked about, the three p's and what's necessary to get a young player going. And so I'm gonna let you remind the people what the three p's are and then I will feel them in on how the Jacksonville Jaguars have used those tenants to really set Trevor Lawrence U for success going forward.
Speaker 1: If I remember correctly, I think the first time we discussed this was when Sean McVay had got to the Rams with Jared Goff, and we saw turnaround happen with Jared Goff and we're trying to figure this thing out on what all happened, and we came up with the three p's, which were as a quarterback. And it used to say, okay, but this is a young quarterback. Now, just for any quarterback to be successful, you need to have right play caller, you need to have some protection up front, and you need to have some playmakers. It's a very simple way of looking at it. But there's a lot of truth in there.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of truth in there. And so it's funny that I didn't remember if it was Sean McVay or not. That kind of was like the origin of where we talked the genesis, where we talked about it. But I think it's great that that is the case because with Liam Cohin, I think Liam Cohn is uniquely qualified to do it. Liam Cohn was a long time assistant coach for the La Rams, and when you think about the La Rams, I'm gonna drive this parallel in terms of Liam Cohn's experience and.
Speaker 2: How it works with Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 3: So for the La Rams, it was Sean McVay helping Jerrett Goff get up and going former number one overall pick didn't go well early with Jeff Fisher, Sean McVay finds a way to really help him become not only a Pro Bowl quarterback, but a guy that goes to a Super Bowl based on his improvement under his tulitis tutelage.
Speaker 2: Later, the La.
Speaker 3: Rams win a Super Bowl with a former number one overall pick and Matthew Stafford. Liam Cohen had been elevated to like office of coordinat had been around, so he saw that development and growth. Liam goes on his own after a stopping Kentucky and Lance in Tampa, where he has another number one overall pick in Baker Mayfield, who has a career year in Tampa under his watch. So when you think about one coach who's been around three number one overall picks who have all played well within a system or within a certain direction, you think, hey, if he can take all those lessons and deal with another number one overall pick.
Speaker 2: In Trevor Lawrence, it should play out well.
Speaker 3: So because of the experience and because of watching someone who is super talented in Matthew Stafford, someone who's a bit of an underdog.
Speaker 2: In Baker Mayfield, but he really made.
Speaker 3: Him play at a higher level, and then Jerry Golf who kind of falls somewhere in between. Liam Cohen has the ability to draw on a lot of different experiences to use the right tools to help Trevor Lawrence go to the next level. And as we talk about tactics and strategies in those things, those things are involved, but it's also the one on one relationship where you buy that you get the trust and the buy in from the player to believe that the things that you're saying are.
Speaker 2: Going to be successful.
Speaker 3: Well, Liam Cohen can point to a bunch of guys in similar situations who've had a lot of success following this blueprint.
Speaker 1: So that's going to lead me to this next point here, it's time for Hot or Not, brought to you by with Sabi Hot Cloud Storage. So if we start with that first p, then Buck and you look at where they are, and you just gave the resume of Liam Coleman, why that should be a good fit to handle that pee in terms of the play caller who's done it with a bunch of different quarterbacks and has been able to elevate their play. I feel like they're in a good spot with that pe if we were then go through the rest of the process here where they stack up right now where they are in Jacksonville. Well, the fun part is to talk about the playmakers.
Speaker 3: And I have likened this Jaguars team in a bunch of different ways to the Rams. Now there are people come from the Rams, so a lot of the things that you do culturally is very close or reminiscent of what the Rams have done to be a very successful program. But when I look at this team offensively, they remind me of those early Rams teams when you had Robert Woods and Cooper Cup and Brendan Cooks, guys that were fast, dynamic, They were interchangeable, but they had big playability. When I look at this current iteration of the Jaguars receivers, I see Brian Thomas Junior, who had looked by far the best rookie season of all the wideouts given his dynamic effects, his impact, and really the big plays he produced as a rookie. You now bring in the number two overall pick in Travis Hunter, who is a dynamic player in his own right. You add an explosive element in Deyanmi Brown for the Washington Commanders, who really began to scratch some of the potential, show some of the potential and the postseason of what he can do. Now this is a faster, more dynamic supporting cast around Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: So you not only have the ability to push the ball down the field.
Speaker 3: Which plays to Trevor Lawrence's strength, but now the horizontal game, the catch and run things that we saw the Rams do in those early years, those early days with Jared Goff, you can implement some of those things. And with a tied end like Brenton Strange being able to control the middle, this offense is more dynamic, but there are more ways that they can attack while making the game very very easy for the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Everybody's hunting explosives and they've added man over the last couple of years. They've built a real explosive unit there, a core of guys, and I think that does take care of that p I think they're in pretty good shape there when you look at those playmakers. By the way, that was this week's Hot or Not segment, brought to you by with Sabi Hot Cloud Storage store more and do more with your data. Try them for free at Withsabi dot com. So if we're going to say we're comfortable where they are with a play caller, they've got a dynamic, explosive group around him in terms of some skill set players to help elevate Trevor Lawrence. This is where the rubber meets the road for me, and I'm curious as someone who's close to the situation, has that even been there in the spring and seen these guys past protection? Where are we at here?
Speaker 2: Buck? We know DJ, We've talked about it.
Speaker 3: There are two ways that you can go about approaching to the offensive line. We can use the no Tomato can process where A it's not necessarily about having the high end guys all over, but it's making sure that we minimize the deficiencies that you have on the lot. So you may not have all great players, but if you have good and solid players, you can get it done. I believe the Jaguars have opted for that because there's a lot of conversations like a, should they go and get a high end guy?
Speaker 2: Where should they use an O line guide?
Speaker 3: They used a first round pick a year ago or a couple of years ago, on Anton Harrison, but they have elected to kind of try and put it together to eliminate the deficiencies on the offensive line. Six new faces amongst the offensive line to you compete for some spots that are available. You have Walker Little, who's a returner. You then you look on the other side. You have Anton Harrison, you have Ezra Cleveland. But by no means are any of those guaranteed an opportunity to start. You bring six new guys in from all different walks of life. Patrick Mharrie comes from the Baltimore Ravens, Robert Hainsey, Chimmiandoka Fred Johnson. You have two draft picks and Whyt Mullum and Jonah Monham Monham and you put those guys in there and you let them compete. And what I would say is different. A lot of times people talk about a competition, but it's not really a competition. We already have the depth chart drawn up in the office cause we know, hey, this is probably how it's gonna start. We're gonna tell them on the field that's a competition, but this is where we're gonna get to. But each I can tell you they're really going to have a competition because no one really knows who that's starting five is going to be. And you like to talk about competition raising the level of play throughout the building. This is an opportunity for the group to get better because it is a very editive environment and no one really knows who's going to get those those final chairs in the game of musical chairs.
Speaker 1: So if we use the scale that we've talked about on here before, uh, the one that that the grading scale that we had on on the Ravens, which is kind of a scouting system that's kind of made its way around a lot of the NFL. But we talked about three to seven. Right, five is dead average, six above average, seven excellent, you know, four below average, three poor. If I'm going to grade them, which would be a fun assignment. By the way, if you're listening to this, take your team and run them through this on the three piece with that scale. If I'm going to go play caller, I'm probably gonna go a six on Liam Cohen. You know what, the recent success that he's had and I like who he's learned under, So I'm gonna give him a six on that three to seven scale. Playmakers around him I'm gonna go I mean, I could probably fudge and say six plus.
Speaker 2: I mean I could.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm gonna get to seven, but they got a chance, they have a chance to be a seven. But I'm gonna keep them at a six for now.
Speaker 2: But that's that's.
Speaker 1: Plenty good enough. And then when you get to the pass protection, I'm probably going to be optimistic five, optimistic five. But I would say if the play callers could trend six north, I would say pass protection could be five south. Like that, I think at the end of the year we're going to be talking about this pass protection as a four or a five. I don't know if they're good enough to be a six, but I think the playmakers could be a six or a seven.
Speaker 3: And so the thing that you and I know and watching a bunch of ball, the play call and the playmakers can make the protectors so much better. Right, there's a way that you can call the game that limits the exposure that the offensive line faces from the defense.
Speaker 2: Whether that's more quick game, whether it's catchup run.
Speaker 3: Concepts, whether that is doing a bunch of different things moving the launch point, so the defense never really knows where the quarterback is going to be There are things that the play caller can do to really enhance and protect the protectors. But at the end of the day, when you look at the Jaguars, the offensive line is really where the rubber Mester road and where it's going to be sided. How good they are are offensively. If they're solid, meaning if they just play at a five level, this seemed to be good enough to get to the ten win mark because the offensive weapons on a perimeter are legit. But if the offensive line doesn't play well, they don't have a chance to be able to to be able to get it done. So we could talk about the play call and the playmakers, but ultimately their fate will be decided on how to protect his play at the line of scrimmage. But that's a lot of teams in the National Football League. The old line played matters and you have to pay close attention to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so how would you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put your coaches hat on, Buck, and I'm gonna tell you right now, you're gonna play the Houston Texans, and you're gonna line up and you're gonna see Danil Hunter on one side. You're gonna look over to the other side, and you're gonna go, oh crap. It only gets worse from there. Will Anderson's on the opposite side. We've got de Nico Autry, who's gonna roll through there. They signed Darryl Taylor. That's a lot of dudes with a lot of juice coming at you off the edge. If you're gonna put on that play caller, you know about all those playmakers you've got, what's the best way to try neutralize that?
Speaker 3: Look, man, I think the ball is going to have to come out, and I think what you're gonna have to rely on.
Speaker 2: Is you're going to have to rely on your ability to get in.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, man, if you go back and look at the twenty seventeen, eighteen nineteen Rams when they got in those tight, clustered alignments, and it prevented you from really putting your hands on the receiver, so you never can neutralize your speed.
Speaker 2: To me, I think it stars there.
Speaker 3: How can I create different ways to get free access for my playmakers, because the belief in the building has to be that our playmakers are better than your defenders. But we got to find a way to protect the quarterbacks that we can get to them. I think condensed and cluster formations, lots of motion to keep them on the move, and then it's going to be about how can we find a way to put the best five out there. In my estimation, I would think that like Walker Little and Anton Harrison, I get purse bited the apple, but they got to be able to hold up in one on one situations because in a perfect world, you want to get all five out in the route and you want the quarterback to be able to have all the weapons out there so we can utilize it. But it puts more on sixteen to identify where the pressure is coming from and to get the ball out. So as much as I talk about the protection, can number sixteen beat defensive coordinators with his mind by understanding where the pressure is coming from and knowing where I got to get the ball out to allow my playmakers to do where they do really real in space.
Speaker 1: All right, last question for you here, and again this was a quick one today, just tackling this issue, and you can find this article on NFL dot com where Bucky jumped into this. We've talked about some of the different things that we've coined on our show over the years. Three p's tractors and trailers. No tomato cans. You mentioned that one as well.
Speaker 2: Three those are three.
Speaker 1: I mean we should copyright all these, right, those are.
Speaker 2: Three of them.
Speaker 1: The fourth one is the confetti tests. We've always talked about the confetti test on the show. Can you envision a world where you know, right place has got to be in place? But is Trevor Lawrence good enough to be standing there as the confetti falls from the ceiling for him to be a Super Bowl winning quarterback?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he has a couple of things that you have to have.
Speaker 2: He has the talent and he has the character.
Speaker 3: The talent is it means like, look, he's the first round over our pick for a reason.
Speaker 2: You don't see people that size, that arm, that athleticism that can do it.
Speaker 3: But from a character's standpoint, I think he matches the tests in terms of his football character, his work ethic.
Speaker 2: His leadership ability.
Speaker 3: Now, I would say that I would say that if we're looking at the way the team has to be constructed, I think more Jerret Golf than Matthew Stafford in terms of protecting with the schematics to be able to get it done. I feel like Matthew Stafford, you can drop in any system and it works. I don't see Trevor in that, but I see Trevor as good enough to have the confetti fall on his shoulders if put in the right system, which I think he's in, surrounded by the right players, which is certainly there. That to me is a recipe for success. So I'm excited to see what it looks like.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned this before, and I think you might even have said this when we were chatting with our buddy John Gordon about the importance of confidence with Trevor. Like we can talk about the three p's, we can talk about building the team around him and putting him in a position where he can be successful. I think, more than anything else for him and the Jags buck if he can get to the starting pistol with with a lot of confidence and a lot of belief not only in his coaches and his players around him, but in himself, more than anything else, I think that's going to be the driver whether this thing works or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think a lot of it is like the intrinsically motivated, the confidence that comes inside, But I believe it's different than that.
Speaker 2: No matter what.
Speaker 3: And we've heard Tom Creane talk about this on podcasts in the past in terms of like, if the team feels like the coach truly believes in them, the players will play for him.
Speaker 2: It's still like middle school football, right.
Speaker 3: If they feel like the coach really believes in them, they're gonna get ice cream sandwiches at the end, They're gonna play hard.
Speaker 2: To me, I feel like this is basic of that.
Speaker 3: If Trevor Lawrence really feels like Liam Cohen is doing the best for him, believes in him and believes that he's his guy, he's gonna raise his game up.
Speaker 2: And I think that's it.
Speaker 3: So that's why that relationship, that communication that they have, more importantly, the belief, the connectivity, the trust that they have in one another will ultimately determine the success.
Speaker 2: If number sixteen believes.
Speaker 3: That the head coach sees him as his guy, then he's gonna play at another level. And so I think that is the thing. And so over the course of training camp in preseason is going to be really important for Liam and Trevor to get that relationship that bond established because if number fifteen, number sixteen feels like them coin is that battery pack in his back. He's gonna play at another level, probably a level that we haven't seen him play at in this leepe.
Speaker 1: Tell me if I'm crazy on this one. I this has become a trend over the last maybe five to ten years. I'm all in on it. Where and I don't. There's no data to back this up. So this is not part of our hot or Not segment, But buck during this time of year, this lull, this dead period that's coming up. If I don't see that my quarterback is gathering his receivers for some type of a can coon trip southern California, Florida where we're gona try and.
Speaker 2: Get everybody together to throw a little bit.
Speaker 1: I get a little concerned, as you should.
Speaker 2: Look, man, you got to be able to do extra and that.
Speaker 3: Commitment quarterback playmakers them spending extra time away from it, them building bonds beyond what the workouts are, having dinners together, becoming friends, like being able to finish each other's sentences because they spend so much time together. We always talk about like the relationship part of the business, but how the relationships really matter for the quarterback. It's really important that all those guys are connected because when the storm comes, as it always does, man your ability to believe in one another, to stay together in the storm, to whether the storm that's ultimately what matters. It also determines whether you come out of the storm or.
Speaker 1: Not, yain no doubt. Well, look, this was a quick one today, but a fun one. You mentioned about Tom Crean. We actually recorded that today, an episode of Tom Crean that we're going to release I believe July week. We'll have that one out, which was a great conversation, so be on the lookout for that. We continue to kind of grab some of our favorites to talk to on the pod and really makes it a fun time year for us and I hope you guys will enjoy it as well. So that's can do it for us today. We appreciate you guys, and we'll see you next time right here on.
Speaker 2: Move the sticks.