Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Let's turn back to the tride story tariffs. They form a New York Fed. President Bill Duty saying Trump's tariffs will be worse than market's thing right, saying, markets seem to think that if the President once stopped the damage, the Fed will. I think they're too complacent. Bill joined us now for more. Bill, welcome to the program, sir, great Pace, let's talk about it. Why do you think that's too complacent.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is that the players are bad for growth and bad for inflation, which puts a FED in a buying Basically, they're missing by more on both sides of their mandate. So I think in the near term and the Fed's going to basically be on hold waiting for more information. Trump administration is making the matter worse because not only are they putting tariffs in place, they are much larger than they do during the first term. They're doing it in a very haphazard, irregular way, which is creating a lot of uncertainty. You know, the decline in merger activity in the four months of this year is pretty strike. People expected merger activity to pick up with the Trump administration it's actually gone down because nobody knows what the rules of the game are going to be in terms of relative prices for inputs, relative prices for exports. So people are very confused and people are just sitting on their hands.
Speaker 3: Bill, as John was just saying, you wrote this line. Market seem to think that if the President won't stop the damage, the Federal Reserve will with rate cuts. Where do you think they have the political leverage to not cut rates at a time when they are seeing quite a bit of potential destruction to the US economic outlook.
Speaker 1: Well, it all depends on what happens to inflation, how high does it go, and too does it get into inflation expectations. The inflation expectations are the key key issue for the Fed. The second thing they're going to be focusing on how much does the unemployment rate rise. It's not about job creation, it's about the unemploying rate. One thing that people don't really understand, I think well is the fact that we don't need a lot of job creation to keep the unemployment rate here, because the growth rate of the labor force has collapsed with the Trump administration, where DeepArt tape where deporting workers, the number of people coming over the borders has collapsed. The growth rate of the native border population is really slow. So top speed for the US of commune in terms of keeping unemployment rate where it is probably fifty thousand in the payroll employment a month, and I think people think that one hundred and fifty two hundred thousand, if it slows to fifty thousand, the Fed's going to cut I think that's wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, I understand the argument that the FED put isn't exactly there, that the FED is going to come in and cut rates in response to market turmoil. At the same time, there is an argument that some of the terriff related inflationary forces are one time price adjustments that will eventually come down, especially with a weakening economic outlook, and that they can look through that a bit more in place a bigger emphasis on the unemployment rate and other economic indicators. Do you push back against that.
Speaker 1: Well, again, it depends on whether it gets into inflation expectations. The first term Trump, the tariff increases were relatively modest. It wasn't an inflation issue because inflation was running below the fedes two percent objective. This time, the teriff increases, our orders of magnitude larger, and it's happening at the time that inflation has been running well above the fedes two percent objective for four years. So inflation expectations are the key. And one troubling indicator in that regard is what the University of Michigan Household Expectations Survey showed last month for five to ten year forward inflation expectations, it rose to three and a half percent, the highest level since the nineteen nineties. So if that is corroborated by other inflation expectations indicators, that's going to make it much more difficult for the FED.
Speaker 3: Bill You're talking about the upcoming economic projections we're going to get from the Fed, and you say inflation will be increased, but the path for the unemployment rate won't change much as labor force growth slows along with hiring.
Speaker 1: Are you basically saying the Fed and their projections are going to almost pinpoint stagflation. Well, I think they have to lower their growth estimates given the uncertainty that the terrts are causing and the fact that it makes the real income for lower income households very much squeeze. So they're not going to be able to spend very much. They have to raise inflation because the price level of a lot of these important goods is going to go up pretty significantly. So I think that's sort of in the cards. I think what's going to surprise people is that they're not going to raise their unemployment rate projectory very much. And I think that people maybe be surprised that they're not going to increase the number of rate cuts they have in their forecasts. Last time, they had two rate cuts for twenty twenty five, and I think they'll keep it right there.
Speaker 2: Bill, let's just talk about those forecasts. What is the approach to putting forecasts together in a moment like this. How much of a conversation happens between individual policymakers actually with.
Speaker 1: Regard to the summary of economic projections, everyone sort of does their own, so this is not coordinated. You are allowed, towards the end of the Federal Open Market Committed Meeting to change your forecast based on what you've heard from others, but people rarely do that, So these things are really put into place before the meeting starts and hardly ever changed.
Speaker 3: A lot of people expect the statement of economic projection not to really move that signific ken Lee, and if they do, for it to essentially be irrelevant because they don't know anything, do you disagree? Do you think that it will be indicative of what kinds of scenario analysis individual members are doing and how much they're incorporating policy for their outlook.
Speaker 1: I think the reason that matters is the fact that I think people are looking for the FED to sort of come to the rescue of the economy by cutting rays. And you've seen it then in the decline and ten your treasure note heels over the last few months, and I think the Fed's doing a signal through the Summary of Economic Projections and in Chairman Paul's press conference, is that No, we're sitting on our hands for the time being.
Speaker 2: Bill Duntley with the license great pay on Bloomberg Opinion. That Bloomberg column available on Bloomberg Dot comment on the Bloomberg terminal Bill, Thank you, sir. As always, they form a New York Fed President, Bill Duntle that on the Federal reserve and whether that FED put is alive and well