Speaker 1: Hey, ba fam, so we need to favor me and Mandra. We need more reviews because it really helps like folks to find us. It helps in the charts and the ratings and all the algorithms and all them things.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So if you leave us a review, we might pick it in a read it online. Okay, Manny, do we have a new review that's like, you know, really cute indicative of like how we want to be represented to the world.
Speaker 3: No pressure, I got a couple of juicy ones actually that just came in this past a week, So thank you, BA fan. Specifically to listener h h Shaw's I've been listening to this podcast for a while and I still make some bad decisions. It's okay, we still love you, h. I always have the voices of Bandy Tiffany in my head, like girl, get it together, you know what to do. Thanks for the amazing advice, encouragement, guests, and so much more. As I'm reading this review, I'm also like, wow, do we not do that great of a job on the show? Don't just take notes use them? Okay, And then listener to says this is a must here podcast, very good advice. I listen every week. All these are actually really nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so if you want us to read your review and you want us to smile big and cheesy, please leave us a review and share the podcast with the people that you love, even your haters too, because they need some financial education as well. Thanks. Hey, hey, hey we're back.
Speaker 2: We're black, but.
Speaker 1: B B B brown.
Speaker 3: Ambition and ambition and ambition, ambition, and.
Speaker 1: We got a little we have some vanilla bean brown in the studio today. I was wondering, you know, we know, we think you know, Mandy, we think Wait a minute, will we give you like a like a latte.
Speaker 3: Let's not start the cast system again, Hey to finis, can we not be seeing in origin like.
Speaker 1: Mandy's in her winter winter winter color?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am. I listen to my Midwestern family. I represent you these minds.
Speaker 1: You know what. It's so crazy because I was looking at myself in the mirror. I was like, mean, well for me, I'm like, you look so pale. I'm like, God, that's why it's winter.
Speaker 3: But this is me, this shade, this is the shade that we are right now, and this I will be in about July. Okay, if you're watching on YouTube, I'm holding up my winter in my summer. If you know you know hi, Vivian two.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have a special guest in the stew today. Her name is Vivian too. And you know you know her because come on, she's your rich bff. You have seen her videos unless you just don't have a cell phone or internet or a computer.
Speaker 3: Or someone or knows someone who has a phone or an internet or a computer and have no friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know Vivie. So I'm gonna be her official bio and they're gonna introduce her to the stew. So when it came to when, when the burnout came for former JP Morgan trader Vivi to she decided to leave Wall Street for a gig in the media space. But when she did, she took with her her financial savvy that would lead her down an unexpected path, building a career out of offering fun, digestible financial advice on social media. We love her for that. She was always the one that her friends would go to for this sort of help. And so she started. And once you start, Vivian, what year when you started going viral?
Speaker 4: It was January first of twenty twenty one, very first day of the year.
Speaker 2: First video went viralva.
Speaker 1: Went viral love it because she's like, what a winner. Okay, we really realized. She realized how great the need was for financial literacy beyond the big banks. And honestly, we all say this because we got the I think we all got this from Bernard that financial services has been historically mail Pale and stam and these lessons are things that rich dads have been teaching their rich sons on the golf course. This is what Vivian has shared. So Vivian told this is Vivian told Forbes. Right, So she's got three point five million followers that she lovely calls the leftovers.
Speaker 2: That is not even accurate.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say, is it up to day now? I was gonna say, I feel like it's more than this now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's closer to six or seven.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Okay, I'm a leftover. So it includes women, people of color, and marginalized communities that have not gotten the same level of financial education. You're rich, bff. This is where she comes in. Her goal is to turn finance into a fun nance space. I love that to speak and to speak to those who are seeking financial advice. She has landed partnerships with places like MetLife, r At the Runway, Credit Karma, and Vesco wellth Front, and is now being represented by W M. E. Her first book, which by the way, is a New York Times bestseller. Because of course the.
Speaker 3: F it is, so what you're saying is you're rich.
Speaker 5: BFF is rich?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, rich richf we get it right? So yeah, she and also too left a. She was ranked number fifty on the inaugural Forbes Top Creators List in twenty twenty two. Like, yes, we welcome Vivian two to the stew Bay.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much for having me, and I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 4: You guys are like old friends. It's been a minute. I haven't seen y'all in a second.
Speaker 1: I know, well I've met you, Vivian, like for the first time in person on.
Speaker 2: The White House. I know, humble brag.
Speaker 1: I mean it was crazy because we were like, a, were we gonna bet the president? We're not, We're not. And then we met the first lady, which I was like, that's more than enough, and then the President we were all like, this is your life? Like it was just insane. So it was a great place to just be Like, I was overwhelmed with the emotion of the grandness of it all. And then I got to meet you, which was so awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tiffany was overwhelmed with the emotion of the grandness. I was overwhelmed by the free snacks.
Speaker 2: No im over here in the back, just trying to eat.
Speaker 3: Wait, so y'all met at the White House. I met you, Vivian for the first time at the Marshalls. We have a partner and partner in common Marshalls. Ye, I mean that we were on the panel a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Ago Marshall's I'm Available Marshals say.
Speaker 4: Mandy was chatting all things career and I was chatting all things money. And it was a summit to actually empower women to make choices that align with their values and you know, essentially put their money where their mouth is and be really, really mindful with their spending.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 3: And if you want to know how savvy Vivian is, if you didn't already follow her, like we said at that event, I remember being at the table. We had just gotten done, and I was starving and I was eating and like you were gone, and I was like, oh, Vivian left that didn't get to say goodbye, and I'm just eating and then and then and then they me like forty five minutes later, Vivian and whoever your plus one was, you come back your friend, right, you come back in with like loaded down with swag because she was like, oh, I went shopping.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't Mandy exposing me.
Speaker 3: Everybody went shopping and I did not get the memo that we could go and like shop from the rack, like just take stuff. And I but I'm like, I should have see when you're with Vivian, just follow her, y'all, but literally, not like on social media, like just follow her around and I feel like you'll just a little tips, like she'll land just like the it's the yellow brick Road personified. It's sort of how I would describe you. So I'm very very happy. And on top of that, you're just a nice, you know, human being. And I think I DMG the other day to let you know that I've been listening to and I was trying to find my stupid notes because I always like to take notes, but I was listening to your podcast, Networth and Chill if we may talk about that, and you were, and I learned about like your background, and I think for for the for the people who only know you from TikTok and haven't really dived deeper, maybe haven't listened to your personal stories on your podcast, tell us introduce yourself and like the Vivian before your rich bff, because you are a favorite Wall Street girly, but you weren't just a Wall Street girly, Like you left Wall Street and then you had this career afterward.
Speaker 5: I want to hear more about that.
Speaker 3: So tell the folks what you want them to know about how you got here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I, like so many people in this country, come from an immigrant background. My parents immigrated to the US from Shanghai in their early twenties. And I love my mom and dad. I hope that they don't hear me say this. They are the best parents.
Speaker 2: But they are very very frugal, and I.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't necessarily say that they've been smart with their money. I think the money that they do have a lot of it comes from extreme saving very much the family where like you open like the cookie tin and it's like a sewing kit inside, and like you go to the under the kitchen cabinet like there's just like one random bag that houses all of the other bags, and.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, you reuse those bags every day as a.
Speaker 4: Lunch box, and like very you know, almost like down to the tea Chinese, American, Asian tropes.
Speaker 2: And I think that made me a very.
Speaker 4: Worried and a very scarce minded kid. It always felt like the other shoe was going to drop. Neither of my parents at the time, especially when I was younger, I would say before high school, neither of them were high earners. So we oftentimes lived in the smallest home or smallest apartment in the school district. And my parents were very, very focused on education because to them it felt like a form of class mobility socioeconomic mobility, So instead of moving into a nicer home, they would move into the smallest home in the nicest school district, right on the edge, right before you got into the other district. And that is how I was able to go to some of the best public schools in the country, and my parents didn't have to pay for that education, but I was able to get you know, a bit of a head start there because I had some really good public schools that I went to, and from there I was told, you know, do the right thing. This is the American dream blueprint, right, you get a grades. I was the valedictorian of my high school. I love to bring this up whenever anybody asks, because it's like my crowning achievement of life.
Speaker 3: Your parents must have been so proud or were they.
Speaker 4: Like, Mandy, please, my parents were like, this is your obligation.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Manny, do you know do you know immigrant parents? My parents are Nigerian, which is very similar to that, like like you said, Vivian, super like frugal, but also education is everything. It is the only way out and also too like an A is like I used to my dad would tell me that a B was was no, a C was failing, A B was a C, and A was you better have.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Nigerian parents, you come home with a ninety eight. They're asking you were the other two person?
Speaker 1: I mean, so I'm feeling right here, Vivid. I'm like, yes, go ahead, continue. So this is what you grew up.
Speaker 2: So this is how I grew up. But I was a very good student.
Speaker 4: I ended up getting into the University of Chicago, and the deal that I had made with my parents essentially was like they had been saving and investing their entire lifetimes for one thing, and that was for me to be able to go to school. And when I got into U Chicago, it is one of the most expensive schools in the country, and I was very nervous about this. And fortunately for me, through high school, my family's financial situation improved quite a bit because my mom ended up leaving the pharmaceutical industry. She was like a chemist, a supervisor of a lab, and went into consulting. So then she started consulting for pharmaceutical companies, started making quite a bit more money, and I was able to go to Chicago and they gave me the greatest gift, and we as Americans know this is truly the greatest gift. I graduated without student loans, without student debt.
Speaker 3: That's what your parents so they were able to. Did you get financial aid at all? So, I mean like real aid, not loans, which they do call aid.
Speaker 4: So I got fifteen thousand dollars in merit like grants from the school themselves. I believe that was per year, and then I got additional private scholarships, but the remainder, which was still six figures. My parents were able to help pick up, which was wonderful. And I know, you know, I look back on high school and I look back on some of the students that would drive Mercedeses or Audi's or you know, these fancy cars into the parking lot. And I had a beat up and I mean beat up. Sheldon was the best car ever, But Sheldon was on his last legs.
Speaker 3: Not Sheldon.
Speaker 4: He was a beat up Honda, a cord with the paint coming off and the headlights like barely worked, so like on rainy days, I was like, I don't know if I should drive the school. But you know, I always thought that, like we just didn't have it like that. But then to hear from some of those peers who drove those types of cars and wore nicer clothes than me and like had more bigger houses whatever. To hear that they were choosing other alternatives to college, you know, doing two years at a community college to then be able to afford to go to the school that they wanted to go to, or choosing their second choice even if they got into their top choice because of pricing.
Speaker 2: It made me really reevaluate my parents' relationship to money.
Speaker 4: And instead of like making fun of them, calling them like cheap or whatever, like, I just realized that they had bigger goals, and their goals were very different than some of our neighbors.
Speaker 2: But I'm at U Chicago.
Speaker 4: I'm a decent student, but I'm going to be honest you, Chicago is not a Maryland public school. Like everybody at Chicago was their high school valedictorian. I'm certainly not the artest kid in the room. Ever Again, after that moment, I get to junior year and essentially I have no idea what I want to do with my life. But I don't have a trust fund to fall back on. I cannot go spend a year backpacking and figure it out.
Speaker 2: I got to have a job.
Speaker 4: So a lot of my friends at the time were interviewing for jobs on Wall Street, and I was like, you know, what, seems as good of an idea as any. There was no real passion. I just wanted to make money. I wanted to live in a cool, fun, sexy city like New York, and I wanted to do the young twenty something thing. So I interviewed ended up getting an internship at JP Morgan on the trading desk, and that summer they hired three interns, myself and two young men, and I was the only one who got a return offer. It was a super cutthroat summer. It was very competitive as always who's in first, who's out last, who's putting out more work product, who's mingling networking more, who's It was always a game of like who could do more with less? And I think that was the first time I ever realized. I was like, I'm just as good as these people sitting around me. I'm just as smart, I can run just as fast, and I can accomplish just as much, even if I don't necessarily look like everybody around me.
Speaker 1: So what made you decide that? Like, okay, so you go to JP Morgan, You're like, womp, not for me.
Speaker 4: That's not quite how it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I got there and I was like, wop, this is definitely for me.
Speaker 2: I want to be rich.
Speaker 4: I you know, I find my mentor and she is still my mentor to this day. She's the coolest person I've ever met. She and I wanted to be like her for very shallow reasons. At the beginning, she would click clack in on those marble floors with her like Gucci stilettos, like have a new like Chanel bag on the counter every day. And I was like, I want Gucci stilettos, and I want a new Chanel bag every day, And so I wanted to be like her. But because of her, and because of her explanation to me of like, you can only have these things if you're good with money, I started investing in my four ow and k I started being mindful of, like how long do I have to tough it out here to get a pension? Like, you know, what should I be doing with my exercesse money? Should I budget better?
Speaker 1: Should I save?
Speaker 4: Should I be investing outside of this? And I started getting decent with my money. And while that happened a year and a half in the head of my desk, I'll let go. Half the team got fired, new people brought in, and I was assigned to work for somebody else.
Speaker 2: And that was the beginning of the end.
Speaker 4: Literally, dun dot like the beginning of the end. And this guy just hated me. He didn't like that I was girly. He didn't like how my nails click clacked on the keyboard, he didn't like how I looked and who I was. And the final straw was I came into work one day with a long cardigan on and he looked at me, touched his hands together, bowed and said, is that a kimono?
Speaker 5: M And wow?
Speaker 4: You know how, I don't know if this happens to you, guys, but when something like that happens to you, you think of all the insults you want to say back, like six hours later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially when they're your boss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're not a power.
Speaker 3: When I heard that anecdote that you just said on your podcast, Networth and Chill, y'all, I will plug it for you, don't worry. And the first thing I thought of was I wish I could say I was surprised, But I think around that, I think we're around the same age and around the same time you were working on Wall Street. I was reporting on Wall Street as a reporter at Business Insider, And I'll never forget like b I in the early days was a wild wild West, like we were just a bunch of kids on the Internet, like you know, writing every wanted to. There were no rules of journalism anymore. It was like post media apocalyptic moment from the recession, and it was about clicks. We were like headlines and photo, headlines and photo that was everything on BI it was the main page. And I was specifically told by an editor feature an Asian American woman, Feature young Asian American women in your photos, and the men of Wall Street will click. There was like this weird Yes I'm not kidding, No, I know it's fucking gross, but this fetishization at the same time, but then use it on the you know, the other end of it that you experience is this, you know, this racism, this other ring and I'm just really sorry that that happened to you. I'm so glad you got to give them the double middle finger. And I did not take that editor's advice, but I will say, like, who writes the news and who's you know, in charge on Wall Street? It so matters. Yeah, so then you.
Speaker 1: Just like, how long did you last after that?
Speaker 2: A couple of months?
Speaker 4: Oh, but can I tell this, I've never told this story before, but this is quite spicy.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to like leave that day.
Speaker 5: I liked.
Speaker 4: I was like, I basically texted my mentor on the side because she was still on the team, and I was like I'm about to quit, like right now, like I am leaving today, And she was like, don't be an idiot, you don't have another job lined up.
Speaker 2: What are you doing. We'll talk about it after work.
Speaker 4: And she basically coached me through it, and I think she was obviously very very sad to hear that that had happened to me. But she introduced me to my second manager, my very first manager at BuzzFeed, and I was so strategic with this guys. I started interviewing and right before I knew I was going to quit, like I basically I was at the finish line.
Speaker 2: I knew things were going good. I was like, I'm ready to quit.
Speaker 4: I took my two week mandatory block leave, so well, yeah, I two weeks of paid vacation. I went to Spain with my now fiance, and.
Speaker 2: The day I got back from vacation, I quit.
Speaker 3: I love that for you, Vivian, I love that too.
Speaker 5: You're not the only one, Like that's not an uncommon.
Speaker 3: Way to quit, and it's so smart. Ipially not going to pay it back these days. It's all like unlimited PTOs, we don't have to pay you out. That's superking smart, okayba fan, We're going to take a quick break and be right back with more from our conversation with Vivian two. You're rich bff, and we're back ba fam more from our conversation with Vivian two.
Speaker 1: And so you switched out the BuzzFeed and you're like, Okay, I'm in.
Speaker 3: Wait, how I don't want to hear about that, Like he switched to BuzzFeed, Like why what were you doing at BuzzFeed? And how is it different than than Wall Street? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was totally different. I mean, thanks for asking that, Mandy. I know you focus a lot about, you know, career movement and mobility and making some of those important changes.
Speaker 2: I was terrified because I was like.
Speaker 4: Well, I haven't even been in this seat for you know, the four years that is expected of me before I can like reasonably switch to another bank, and people don't think I'm a job jumper. So I had ended up having this conversation with my mentor's best friend and she put me in contact with HR. I went through the series of interviews for a job that I had no idea how to do. It was a digital media strategy sales job at BuzzFeed. Basically, I was working with corporations at a very baseline level to put ads on the Internet, but at a very high level building out joint ventures or creating new websites, or doing hosting irl pop ups and flat iron or you know, full custom content campaigns. I didn't know how to do any of that. I didn't know what a CPM was. I didn't know what an impression was.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how to make content. I didn't know what reporting was. I didn't know anything.
Speaker 4: But when I spoke with my mentor's best friend, I said, I am the fastest learner you have ever met. I can learn anything in three months. And I promise you I'm going to put everything in that I have and I'm going to be better than your current best. And I think that was like a big promise. But like I told her that, and she was and I did have this in my sleeve knowing this, that person that became my very first boss had also left Wall Street to go into media and tech. So I think again she had like a little soft spot for me, knowing that she had escaped a similar fate, you know, for similar reasons.
Speaker 2: To see me now.
Speaker 4: Feeling like I had to escape. She was like I'm willing to take a flyer. And so when I did well in the other interviews and had a good sales pitch and was able to showcase that regardless of if I was calling a hedge fund analyst to talk about a stock that I thought was a decent buy for their portfolio, or whether I was calling a corporate client to recommend a certain type of video asset that I thought would be good for their advertising campaign.
Speaker 2: Sales as sales, baby, you either got the sauce or you don't.
Speaker 1: Separately.
Speaker 2: Sauce sold separately.
Speaker 4: And so you know, I think she saw that I had that natural sales instinct and they hired me on that entire instinct and nothing else.
Speaker 2: And within three years I became.
Speaker 4: One of the top sellers, and within almost four I was the top seller.
Speaker 3: Wow, you know what I can I ask you one quick question, just to prove a point. How when you decided to leave JP Morgan, Like, how much time and you reached out to your mentor at what point did you touch your resume to like focus on that in terms of your pivot into a new career field.
Speaker 4: The same night that guy asked me if I was wearing a kimono.
Speaker 2: I was like, get me.
Speaker 3: Out of here, right, and like when you were approaching it though, like what I'm heard from your story is that the personal connections and you can roll your eyes of this a lot and like neppo baby, bullshit whatever. But like I feel like leaning into your mentor leaning in and just not even like having an end goal in mind, just like, hey, I had a shit day, I want to leave this place. Yeah, letting them know that you were interested in a new beginning and like them starting to get that ball rolling to the point where you know, you get the interview, but you still got to sell it and having that person like understanding what their objections are going to be. Oh, on paper, this doesn't look like it's the right fit, but you're going to tell the story that convinces them that you're the person for the job. And I think that's so important because I work with so many women who are stuck because they are psyching themselves out about that pivot into a new path. And I just really appreciate the way you backed yourself and went for it.
Speaker 4: I mean, what's that phrase, like your network is your net worth? Like you need to be networking because I didn't have the skills, I didn't have the experience. I certainly didn't have the resume to get that job. Frankly, from a resume perspective, I didn't deserve it. But because I had an internal champion, I had someone who was advocating for me, and that person was going to become my manager. I essentially had the key stakeholder's attention, and I not only had her attention, but her essentially buy in. And that is the only reason I got that job. And can I tell you something. On that team, there were three managers. My manager end up being one of them. They had offered me to different manager because he had fewer headcount than she did, and he said word for word. I found this out years later. She seems smart, but not a project I.
Speaker 2: Want to take on.
Speaker 4: Well, And just so everybody knows, your sales managers get a percentage.
Speaker 2: Cut, oh what you sell.
Speaker 4: So my manager's out here sitting on this throne of my success and this guy looks like a chump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just love that though. I'm just like, I think, as a woman, especially a woman not from the minority culture, like, there's nothing sweeter than for folks to be like oh to kind of write you off and you're like, I'm sorry, what.
Speaker 2: It's petty?
Speaker 3: Are you going to send him a copy of the book?
Speaker 1: I mean because he might need some financial assistance bits, But I.
Speaker 3: Also feel kind of like bad for him, not one not bad, but also like from a manager's perspective, or like, oh, we have Vivian, she's new here, she hasn't anything but marketing, Like what kind of pitch did he get?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: About you? And I'm like, there are a lot of managers who are like, yeah, that seems like a lot of work. However, like without sitting on him, I'm just like so happy you found a manager who was willing to put in that work, because god damn it, we need better leaders and better management.
Speaker 1: Yes, people to greatness, But I want to jump down, like into your book. So came you drop that TikTok completely blew up? And then obviously with your knowledge from from BuzzFeed about marketing and consistency and social media, you know, it makes so much sense.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm getting this.
Speaker 3: I love the story. I'm just like the media background.
Speaker 5: Duh.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna post this on January one, maybe it'll go duh.
Speaker 5: Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: When did you decide like, okay, I think or someone kind of reach out to you to decide I want to adde a book, Like I'm sharing so much amazing information. There's so many questions I want to direct them. Was that did that come from you internally or did externally? Were you just like bombarded with like requests for a book.
Speaker 4: I was bombarded with requests for a book, but not from who you'd think, Okay, I was being bombarded by people in my DMS. Okay, people were saying, like, vivir content, it's sixty seconds long.
Speaker 2: It is so helpful.
Speaker 4: It is the only way I'm able to digest this information. But like, do you have like a guide where I watch video one all the way to one hundred, because right now we're kind of jumping all over the place.
Speaker 2: And I want a step by step and I'm like, oh, okay, that might be helpful. And I was actually not.
Speaker 4: Resistant to writing a book, but I was like, there are other ways to do this, and so I was like, Okay, I'm going to launch a long form YouTube channel. Turns out, long term long form YouTube channels are very hot, hard, they take a lot of production, they're very fancy. It's not easy, you know, try like did the podcast thing for longer form content. But people still kept saying like, we want the book, we want the book, and I'm like, okay, like I'll think about it, I'll do the book. So I ended up writing the pitch for the book concept, and it all really ties back to all of the thanks I have to give to my first mentor. I mean, but you guys saw the dedication I dedicated to three three groups of people or three people will call them, first being the BFFs, then to my mentor, and then to the guy who made the kimono comment. Because again I'm petty, and it really is so much of the information she taught me about looking at the world differently and how it pertains to our personal finances, and what that mentorship did for me. Without her, I wouldn't be in the current financial position that I am, and I frankly probably would have spent all of my money on designer jewelry or designer bags and been quite frivolous.
Speaker 2: With it, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: So I ended up pitching that concept of rich af and ended up signing a book deal with Penguin Random.
Speaker 1: House welcome to the family for I just got here too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, I was telling you guys.
Speaker 4: I was telling tiff about this before we got on the actual recording, when I was pitching this book, and it seemed that there was a lot of interest. People then started to try selling me, and many publishers number one selling point was that they had worked with the Tiffany A Leech and so I was like, wait, okay, I want to be where she's at, so it felt like a good place to call home.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, I can't be up multiple places lying just so this was a little petty aside. There was I'm trying to think, I'm gonna say it. So there was one. So I like, we pitched obviously, and so nine publishers came back, but one of them had to step down because they had another financial educator, big name. If we said you a'll be like duh on their roster, and that person had first right of refusal for anybody else being signed. And they were like, but Denis said, no, you guys can't sign her. I'll set you offline. You're gonna be like, no, I'm not gonna lie. I was so impressed. I'm like, they know who I am, even though I.
Speaker 3: Was so wow, so they're suppressing ye, Like can you I didn't know that was a thing you could do. Yeah, it's so big that you can say I am your financial person, and if they're signing anyone else, I can could put it oooh typically I would feel so good if I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: I wasn't even mad. I was like I can't believe they I'm like, are you sure you know who I am?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: My god? So much so that they were like, no, can you text right now?
Speaker 2: Put it in the ruck.
Speaker 1: I can't see the chat because your petty, you will say it out loud.
Speaker 2: There's no trust your petty.
Speaker 3: I was like, I can't.
Speaker 5: I don't know about Vivian, but I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna put it in the chat. But it was just like I was so shocked, and I just was like, yes.
Speaker 3: Did you yeah, yea, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay put the name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But honestly, well one would have told me was like, wow, you never know who's watching you because I'm like little on me. But guess what, that person was absolutely right. They were like they were right, because honestly, I didn't know what I was capable of. I mean, I knew I worked hard. I didn't know, like you know, what the book could possibly do. But yeah, so I was like, you know, a good call. But here we are, Yeah, no.
Speaker 3: New class right yeah.
Speaker 1: So so for your book, what are you hoping so so like I said, like honestly, so many times, like even for myself, I'm like, I need like, what's the knowledge on that? What's a quick way to understand that? So I'll watch your videos because to your audience's point in sixty seconds, I'm like, Okay, that's what that means, or that's what's happening, or this is what the market is doing or you know. But and so your book offers what like for those folks who know you from social media if they read their book, what what's the difference? Like, what are they getting? What are they going to take out of it?
Speaker 4: This is a full step by step guide to not only changing your mindset around money. Essentially, what was the shift between what my mindset was when I had these very loving but very frugal Chinese parents to meeting.
Speaker 2: Who I love to call like my rich mom.
Speaker 4: Situation like her teaching me how to think about money and an abundant mindset, growing it, making it work hard, and it's that shift while going through I would say, a pretty traditional and pretty common set of knowledge, but conveying it in a way that really makes sense for the next generation. I think most folks when they talk about career in a finance book, it's at the end, or it's at least after budgeting or after saving. I put career first because the line that my mentor told me that I find to be truly the golden rule of my life is that you can only save as much as you earn, but you can always earn more money. And that when I heard that phrase for the first time, it really did change.
Speaker 5: My life because I was always with this woman.
Speaker 4: Her name is Jeane Ma. She is still a trader on the street. She is truly the best she you know, she's my mentor to this day. I see her relatively often, but she taught me this, and so we talk through career and like I don't talk through a lot of the other career stuff of like resumes or interviewing or anything like that. But when you've gotten the job, how do you ask for more money before you start on day one? Or if you've been in a job for so long, how do you demand a fifteen percent raise at the end of the year without sounding like a d bag. And these are things that we need to talk about because the money piece of your job, like we're not doing this for free, like I'm not here for my health, Like I'm here to make money. And then we move into budgeting and it addresses like, hey, budgets look very different than they used to because Instagram has very much changed what we perceive to be things we need in our life. And I'm very anti no little treats. I love little treats, and so I just give a way to reframe that of like, hey, the avocado toast or the latte every morning is not why you can't buy a home, but like you want a you know, a Gucci bag at the end of the year, because that's the equivalent a Gucci bag. Would you rather have that? Would you rather get you know, those do or shoes? Would you rather get that fresh pair of four fresh pairs of the really coveted Jordan's because that is what you're giving up by having a latte every single day. And suddenly saving money becomes fun because saving money equates to things that actually bring you joy, like Marie Condos style.
Speaker 2: Does this spark joy?
Speaker 4: Yea? And from there we go into investing, which I feel like is way over complicated. I think so many folks in the space now are doing a great job of trying to demystify it. But I break it down in very layman's terms how I was taught to think about it. For my portfolio, we have to essentially have a baseline understanding of what retail investors and what institutional investors need when we pass our exams to be able to work on Wall Street. And a big part is like they ask you a bunch of questions, like they give you a profile essentially, and they're like, if this person is a forty seven year old woman, lives here, no children, married, like, which of these portfolios would make sense for her? And then you get another scenario like twenty three man, unmarried, no job, what investment portfolio would you invest for him? And so that essentially kind of changes the investment conversation because it's not one size fits all.
Speaker 2: And then the final chapter is my favorite.
Speaker 4: It's a little like somebody told me this and I was like, ah, shoot, I didn't even think about that. They're like, it's a little bit of a sexual innuendo.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like financial domination, and I was like, oh geez, I didn't even think about that. But it covers all the stuff that doesn't neatly fit into any of those boxes, So like paying down debt, taxes, talking to your friends and family about money, which can be an incredibly sore subject, especially if you come from a immigrant background or a low income background. You know, as a story like I know friends who are in my analyst class who the expectation was like when they got their bonuses, like they would send them home or part of their paycheck had to go home to like help mom and dad, or mom you know.
Speaker 2: Pay her food.
Speaker 4: And we don't all get to start life on third base. Some people start, you know, at first base. Some people start outside of the parking lot of the stadium. And I think having some of those money conversations can be tricky no matter who you are, So I wanted to address that and then we wrap it up in a nice.
Speaker 2: Bo of why we all deserve to be rich af.
Speaker 3: I want to hear, so everyone go get the book, and what's the website where you can get the book, is it You're rich bff dot com.
Speaker 4: You can find it there, but just go to rich af dot me because the U r L is obviously a manifestation.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: I want to know because I do follow you on IG. I know you're you're engaged, right. Are you planning a wedding? Is it an extremely bougie international Italian wedding? Vivian Mandy.
Speaker 2: I've been called out twice now on this podcast.
Speaker 4: I came here for a good time, not to be victimized.
Speaker 3: Asking for facts. Are you planning a wedding? Fact?
Speaker 5: Tell me about you?
Speaker 3: I want to hear about your partner though, and you've been together a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What has y'all's relation? How has your relationship changed, improved whatever, over the course of you building this business.
Speaker 5: I don't know what he does.
Speaker 3: What's he do? Is he on Wall Street?
Speaker 4: Is he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll give you the tld R of my sweet sweet man. We'll have been together for seven years in April, so quite some time.
Speaker 2: When we first met.
Speaker 4: We met because we were both working on Wall Street and he worked on the same team. Is my girl roommate at the time, and they sat like caddy corner to each other on the at the office, and so I ended up meeting him one random night when I went out with her. We were running around the bars in downtown New York City as a young twenty something does.
Speaker 2: And we hit it off like he was just like the coolest, nicest guy.
Speaker 4: And when we people ask us about our financial situation quite a bit. When we first started dating, he made much more money than I did, like two times, and he was always so generous and never made me feel any type of way about it, Like he paid for all of our dinners out when we would go on vacation, he would pay for more. Ultimately, when we ended up moving in together, he paid a bigger percentage of rent.
Speaker 2: He never made me feel.
Speaker 4: Like my job was less important or that I was less important, or that my career aspirations were not as big as his or important because he made more money and for the first like five years of our relationship, he was the breadwinner and he almost at all times made twice as much money as I did. In my last year at BuzzFeed, I had a blowout year and I publicly shared this.
Speaker 2: I made over six hundred thousand dollars in a W two job.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 4: And that was the first year we made roughly the same. I made a little bit more. I eked him out by, you know, twenty five grands, and he was really proud of me. And I asked him really candidly at that time. I was like, do you think anything's going to change or would you feel weird if I.
Speaker 2: Like made more money than you.
Speaker 4: He goes, why would I feel weird about you making more money? I will then have more money.
Speaker 1: To spend, Like what do you mean?
Speaker 2: And so he's always had this very very.
Speaker 4: Just amazingly supportive attitude about what I do and what I want to do. And when I finally decided to quit my job, it was in part because I had a golden parachute to rely on him. And he said, he's like Vivian, no one has ever starved on a Wall Street salary for two people, So like, go chase your dreams. Like maybe we won't be able to end up buying a home, or maybe we won't be able to go on as many vacations or take as many ubers, we'll have to take the subway, whatever, but like we will still be able to live our life like go chase that dream. And because of that, I was able to and I make quite a bit more now than he does, by like a factor of like four or five times, and he again, the attitude has never changed. I feel so grateful for that, because my mom even told me that I should start lying to him about how much I was making.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because hide some hide some cash, make sure you always know where it is.
Speaker 1: The unenlightened man would feel like that, and I love that he provided so in therapy. So Mandy has this all reading this book called attached, and so that's called like a secure attachment or a secure base. That when you have this base, it's like you know, when you're a little kid and you're like, you're good at the playground. As long as you can see your mom. You don't need her touch you, you don't need your hand, but you're playing like where's she?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: There she is?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Where she The moment that your mom goes to the car to get something, you freak out. You don't want to play, you don't want to And as soon as she's with an eyeshot, you're good. And so you know, my late husband he didn't make a ton of money, but he provided secure base like that, like I got the bills, go ahead and chase and so you know. Oh so I had my first seven figure year and then an eight figure year, and I realized, like it's because I had a golden parachute, although not because we had a ton of money, but there's just the secure base if somebody's got me. And so I think that, you know, in this world where it's like so then against women, I don't know, these gender worlds are just crazy right now. It's so nice to hear that it is possible to find someone that can provide you with a secure base, whether they make a lot or a little, that the security is not as much about the money as it is about the support. So I love that you have that. Vivian, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for going into the reason I was asking I should have started with. This is just because partnership is is a part of your entrepreneurial journey, anyone's and just your just life journey, and they really can help you become the richest in more ways than one version of yourself or not. So shout out to the partners you know, whatever gender they are. Whatever identity. The partners who are who are that you know, security are also the partners who just carry the insurance like shout out to husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm also on insurance. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm in gold, honey. I was like, what come I husband work for the state over the city, but it was stayed in Sheriff. I mean I could get acupuncture, like office is short. I'm like whatever, I'm like, babe, that is the coin right there.
Speaker 4: Okay, But the good benefits, Yes.
Speaker 1: It's funny as you can tell you get older when you're like, oh, what are the benefits? Look like physical therapy, physical therapy, Yeah, just a therapy in general. Now, I love that, and I just love that because back in Mardin when when when financial education started, there was nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're an og, you know that.
Speaker 1: I mean I just I didn't you know, at the time, you don't realize you're an og. You know that's what's happening. I do remember being able to count on one hand and I knew everyone are. You Literally were going to the room, You're like, oh there's Mandy, Oh there's Sandy, Oh there's and you can there's for trees and so you could count everyone, and honestly, it just it was really hard because you just felt like you weren't taken seriously. And now I could even pretend to count how many non white male financial educators there, And I'm so delighted by that. Like, there's so many choices. If you want to see yourself, if you are, you know, whatever gender you are, whatever your sexual orientation is, whatever race you are, whatever that is, you can find representation of yourself and be like, oh, there I am, like she he they sound like me. I too. Come from an immigrant background, or my mom was a single mom, or I came from a lot of money, whatever that is. You can find someone that can help guide you through your financial journey. So I love that you get to show up as yourself and that people are just responding as they ought to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: I also love that, like there is such like a good community of folks and especially women supporting each other. I mean, I mean Mandy and I are dming back and forth about what we're charging brands, what we're what we're doing with partnerships, like what we're planning on doing with books, and like all of that. And you know, when you feel comfortable enough to ask your friends and peers those questions.
Speaker 2: Like that's a positive thing.
Speaker 3: No, it is, it's necessary, Like, yeah, thank you for thank you for answering and for being open to that because I think when you it's hard making new friends in your adulthood and you don't always know what the vibe is going to be like if you, you know, get to a space where you can peek behind the curtain a little bit. So yeah, thanks for just being a great example of you can have those types of conversations even if you don't know someone like on a deeper level. But I'm always going to get to know people on a deeper level. So tell me about your parents today. What is the relationship like with your folks today? Do they are they like? I don't know, Tiffany, when did you Did your dad think you're successful?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: After the house and cash?
Speaker 3: Okay, so vibe and have you had the moment yet? Do your parents think you're a success?
Speaker 5: What are they thinking?
Speaker 4: Okay, So first off, Tiffany stole my thun but I didn't. No, no, no, no, hell no, okay, I can't afford that shit. But I did send my parents on an all expenses paid trip for their thirtieth wedding anniversary and they're like texting me photos of.
Speaker 2: Like I think they were like in like Newfoundland or something.
Speaker 4: Anyway, there was like this massive boulder thing and my dad put his hands up against it and like there's like a photo of.
Speaker 2: Him pretending like he's.
Speaker 4: Pushing it, like you know what I mean, and like these silly parent photos. But it was so nice to see them having fun and doing things that frankly, we couldn't afford to do when I was a kid. And you know, Mandy, you mentioned you listened to the podcast where I talk about my parents. My mom brings up my swim team from childhood all the time.
Speaker 5: That was in my notes that I can't find.
Speaker 3: I forgot. Thanks for bringing it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So when I was on the swim team as a kid, the colors of the team were black and green, and the.
Speaker 2: Suit was a tear speed suit that's like.
Speaker 4: A brand and they're not cheap because they're you know, professional sources.
Speaker 2: My parents paid like.
Speaker 4: The registration fee for me to be already on the swim team, so they were like, why do we need to buy a suit.
Speaker 2: So I wore a.
Speaker 4: Bright pink suit from Costco, And there's a team photo that my mom has kept to this day. And you see in this photo everybody in this green and black suit and I stick out like a pink sum And you know, my mom mentions that that situation like probably I want to say that once a year, and she looks so sad when she mentions it.
Speaker 2: She's like, she's like, we should have just.
Speaker 4: Bought that suit, huh like, And I'm like, Mom, it's okay, Like, don't want your.
Speaker 1: College education, right, that's her Roman empire, the thing that's.
Speaker 2: That is her Roman empire.
Speaker 4: And so now for me to be to do the things that they couldn't even do for me for them, it's very full circle. And it feels really.
Speaker 1: Good, doesn't it, though, especially when you have parents that really I mean, I think we've all of us have parents that really just.
Speaker 3: Parents don't listen to this, like, so, where's our vacation, here's my mortgage statement. I got two kids in daycare, so keep going.
Speaker 1: No, it was like, just honestly, to be able to look after your parents. It's really just like the best feeling, especially when you have parents that you know, scrape and you know it's one thing like they had to trust fund. But it's like, no, these are parents that got it out of the mud, and you know how hard they worked and to be able to mind my job. Now, especially for my mom, was I want her to I want she's in her soft girl girl era.
Speaker 4: I love, Yeah, talk about talked about soft girl era and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just love that. She's like my mom will so I send them money every month. So my dad, like, you know, he was an accountant CFO. So as far as their day to day monthly expenses, that's taken care because he managed their money well. Once I paid off their house, they're fine. But I really wanted her to have money beyond we're fine. I want her to have hair done, nails done, everything did money, Yes, you know, So I send her, you know, money every month. And of course because I send her, I got to send him even though he doesn't do anything with it. My dad's in his eighties. He just like gives it to people in Nigeria, which I'm like, that's your business. But my mom, I love when I see her in a new outfit, She's like, I guess how much this costs? I'm like, I don't know, mommy, how much this tip?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: It was six hundred dollars. I'm like, okay, it's a life way. I'm like, mommy, you got it said, She's like I do, I don't, I know. And I love that for her because she never it doesn't happen often, but Nigerian clothes in particular, you know, you get them tailored, and so she's never been able to just splurge in this way without the worry. And so I want that for her. I want her to not have to worry, to know that even if something big does happen, I can take care of it. I always tell them that, like something happens to the house, you know, the boiler goes out, don't freak out. I will take care of it. You are here to live the rest of your life in ease and comfort, and so like that is the thing that like to me, that is what rich Af looks like for me. Yeah, but it's like no, no, no, to know that, Like okay, especially like I said, because my dad's been chilling his whole damn life. I feel like because he's been spoiled with four daughters, five daughters, and my mom. But my mom in particular I'm just like.
Speaker 2: A man blessed beyond measure.
Speaker 1: I mean, because when you have daughters, let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, I got two boys, and I'm no, but I'm going I'm like, you know why, I'll go. I won't go on a tangent too long. Sorry, just a little. I open new tabs all the time. I can't stop myself.
Speaker 5: But let me mothers. We got to make the boys better.
Speaker 3: It's a huge responsibility to raise good boys, good men who don't get Oh, well, you know, I should have had daughters.
Speaker 5: The boys never come around.
Speaker 3: Teach him how to come around, do it?
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying, Yeah, because you can just really yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Do you have siblings for me? And I don't think I asked you that before.
Speaker 2: I'm an only.
Speaker 6: Child, not even It's like at the time, like, I don't think that they were in a financial place to have a second kid say that, And so they were like, you know what, we got one.
Speaker 2: We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 4: And then by the time when they were in a place to maybe have a second kid, they were like, do you want a sibling?
Speaker 2: And I was like absolutely not.
Speaker 1: The only childhoods of like, well, these toys are mine.
Speaker 4: So literally, I was like, no, the attention is on me. I was like the weirdo who was like, Mom, watch me do this cartwheel like for the four hundredth time. Like she was like, Okay, I've seen it, so.
Speaker 1: Well, what if you had one one big wish for our audience as relates to reading your book and following on social like, what do you hope that they achieve as a result of like you being here in this space.
Speaker 6: Hmmm?
Speaker 4: I hope that they can achieve the understanding that it's okay just to be good enough in many cases. So this was truly something that like when I learned it changed my life. Reshma saw Johnny. She's the founder of Girls Who Code. Girls at Code is a nonprofit. It teaches young young students at the beginning and now young women how to you know, essentially computer science.
Speaker 2: And when they were first.
Speaker 4: Teaching a bunch of young students how to code, they would say, like, write a line of code, and then the instructor would walk around the room and all the boys would have like written a line of code, and all the girls like the screens would be empty and they'd be like, what the like are these girls like not listening or like what's going on?
Speaker 2: Ran the key strokes back.
Speaker 4: Turns out those girls had written lines of code deleted them, lines of code deleted them because they didn't want to be wrong. And so I think one thing that we can all take away, both within our money and in our career, it's like, sometimes perfect is the enemy of done, and we want to be taking little steps forward constantly. This isn't about running a mile or running a marathon. Frankly, it's about can you get to the end of the block where the fire hydrant is? This is what I think about when I'm running by the way, I'm like, okay, just to the tree, Just to the tree, Just to the stop sign, just to the stop sign. Like that's essentially your life, right, you are just running to that next item. And I think it's really powerful to remember that we should reward and encourage boldness and good, brave decision making over being perfect all the time. There's no such thing as the perfect hi old savings account. There are great high old savings accounts out there, and there are so many of them. There's no such thing as the perfect job. Some great jobs out there, many of them that pay very well where you can learn and you can earn. But sometimes we overthink and we are our own worst enemies.
Speaker 2: And so for once, just like.
Speaker 4: Give yourself like a little bit of grace and a little bit of encouragement.
Speaker 2: You are doing the best you can.
Speaker 4: And then on top of that, like when there is an opportunity that comes up, don't be shy about swinging for the fences.
Speaker 1: Thank you. So, where can the girlies find you? Where can they find your book? I know I have it too. I'm like, oh wait, wait, hold on, we have to get like a screenshot screenshop.
Speaker 4: Wait, kids, you can find my book at richaf dot me. The u url is basically a manifestation and you can find me all over social media.
Speaker 2: As your rich bff.
Speaker 1: It's love good.
Speaker 3: The book smells great.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I thought it was kind of stinky smell like.
Speaker 5: That, but that new book smell.
Speaker 3: It is a little stinky. I know that, But that is this. I can't wait to go to my local Burns and Noble and make sure it's on the front where I'm sure it will be with the New York Times bestsellers. But I'll make sure of it. Request it from your library, Yes, wait, are you still on tour?
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 3: Are you Taylor Swifting? Are you taking a break and come back in Tokyo?
Speaker 5: Like what?
Speaker 2: I have more respect for Beyonce and Taylor Swift. Touring sucks. Touring is like really hard.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be so honest because you're barely in a city for more than twenty four hours onto the next one. You don't get to enjoy anything, and then you're just like hair makeup, onto the on the show, like whatever.
Speaker 2: I have Miami stopped this Friday, then I have SF stop.
Speaker 4: The following week. I do take a little pit stop at the University of Minnesota. I got a shoot coming up in La I mean, I'm oh, I have to go. Oh bandy, you asked about my wedding. I gotta go to Italy to finish planning it.
Speaker 2: I am so tired.
Speaker 5: Is it this summer?
Speaker 2: It's this It's not.
Speaker 3: A June wedding in Italy? Oh god, yeah, every girl fantasy.
Speaker 2: We've already thought about it three times.
Speaker 3: So oh, what are you enjoying? Like, what what are you enjoying about the process? Like you got to enjoy something. It's not all hell right.
Speaker 1: I'm tired, Like, I hope that you play.
Speaker 5: Wait, what's that face? I don't know you well enough.
Speaker 3: What face are you making?
Speaker 1: It's like I'm not enjoying its joying it.
Speaker 2: It's horrible.
Speaker 5: So I hope that you change that you have time.
Speaker 1: You have bacon. That's some real rest downtime, you know, post.
Speaker 3: Yeah, enjoy yah because you keep.
Speaker 1: Running so you don't want to do that.
Speaker 5: I know what you need and.
Speaker 2: Is planning on taking March very very off.
Speaker 3: I know what you need, though, I think someone needs to be collecting the stories of the people that you are in those rooms that you're touring, collecting like what did it mean for you to Vivian?
Speaker 5: To be what you need?
Speaker 3: Is like you're working. It's work, but it's also like the ripples and like the vibe rainbow, kind of like trailing behind you as you jut off to the next city. I feel like that is the the magic that people kind of sit with afterward. And thanks, thanks for thanks for doing that work and exhausting yourself, but yes, and also hopefully you get to pour back in yes a little in the meantime, Thank you.
Speaker 2: So much for having me.
Speaker 1: No, thanks for being here, all right, bro? We're gonna see you for Friday for b a keep a until then, Stay black, stay brown, say cute, Stay witch is f which yeah, looking as f I'm fifty. You know I'm gonna saying I'm gona start telling people when ask me how old, I'm gonna say fifty five, so we're gonna be like, oh my god, and I'm like, I'm so young.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about your fiftieth the other day. I'm like, I didn't get an invite to the fortieth, but I bet I'm gonna get one too.
Speaker 5: The it's gonna be something fabulous. It's gonna be it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fiftieth Tiffany's and the Maldives guarantee you it's stay fabulous.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pay for everybody.