Speaker 1: What is up, Dolphins, And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today's show, an all twenty two review from a second straight when the party keeps rolling for at least one more week, we'll talk about offensively, defensively, top five tapes and just how bad that Cleveland Browns operation was from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Man, it's kind of crazy to think about how my daughter sounds now compared to when I recorded that like a year and a half ago. They grow up fast. Week seventeen at the Cleveland Browns. This will be a quicker film review, and I'm gonna ba humbug some people's opinions here a little bit. I didn't think it was as good offensively as I thought watching the game live on Sunday in that second half, and I will tell you why here in just a moment. Actually, let's do it right now. So I love the Dolphins game plan from the start of the game. A couple of outside zone runs sandwiched around the outside of a screen pass that was into the flow of the motion they put. They showed your pre snap, and they got the Browns defense moving laterally and downhill on those three snaps, and then they were able to utilize the play action passing game and those curl routes that are kind of how do I describe this, like their routes that the quarterback can see it and then throw it without a lot of danger when you get that second level impact. And I thought the Dolphins did a really good job of doing that to kind of ease Tyler Huntley into this game and his first start since October twentieth against the Indianapolis Colts. And you see it on the first non screen throw of the game. You get crashing linebackers. They're in single high safety with an outside leverage cornerback who has to also be aware by the way of the deep ball for Tyreek Hill, and it creates this massive, very clearly defined window which makes life easy on your quarterback. It's one on one stuff right there, right, good stuff to start, but we follow that up with a false start. We get a fifteen yard penalty on Isaiah Win at the conclusion of one of the first down conversions we get on this drive. Then we can a play where the quarterback puts both of his pointer fingers up to the side of his helmet, and all the other guys in offense say, can can can. That means they're going to trash that play and go to a different play they had called in the huddle as well, And as they can it, the ball gets snapped right into Huntley's lap and he's not ready for it. Like this is the type of stuff that doesn't happen across the rest of the league. And I really do think it's tied back to some of the stuff that Tua had on that walk and talk with that freaking food critic whoever he was, where he talks about all the pre snap checklists he has to go through, Like you can't tell me that Tanner McKee is just going to come in and play super well for the Eagles. And yet it's so hard for us to even get snaps off or not have three penalties on our opening drive when our starting quarterback is not out there. It's hard. It's hard to reconcile, it's hard to comprehend. Now love the eight chan dump off on third and eighteen before our first field goal. I thought that this game was managed in a way that tracked with what you were getting from the opposing offense, which was essentially, if we don't make any f ups on defense, they will not find the end zone, which is what you got. And I thought they played that way offensively when they got down around scoring range, like we have these extra wide splits that we really don't ever use like this Dolphins offense doesn't typically have receivers split outside of the numbers, much less two of them on any given play, and we had two receivers stacked outside of the numbers, and it created this huge vacancy inside and we were able to run this little leak Texas type of angle route from devon eight chan where he angles out in front of the or outside of the linebackers at the second level and gets an easy eight yard gain and when your kick on the ensuing play hits the crossbar and goes over, like literally every single inch you gained there was imperative, and they designed it in a way that essentially guaranteed them what they got. I thought that was very well done. They kept getting those drive starter looks, you know, balanced twelve personnel where you have two tight ends attached to the line of scrimmage, one on either side, that's how you get balanced unbalanced when you have them to the same side of the formation, you get the Browns in their base defense with a single high safety look. It indicates pretty obvious man coverage. They run the tight end to Tyreek side because you have basically one receiver to one side, one to the other side, a pair of tight ends to either side, and then your running back right. So it's fully balanced formation. The tight end to Tyreek side just runs basically right at the middle of the field.
Speaker 2: Safety.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna press his toes and make him know that I'm coming his direction. He has to respect my route. And it creates this massive amount of space with inside access against an outside leverage cornerback. So outside leverage is when you basically are trying to prevent the receiver from getting outside. You're gonna have your butt facing the sideline, turn parallel back into the field, and you're funneling stuff inside. So if they're gonna play that kind of coverage and we can run the same off with our tight end, that gives Tyreek free access to a dig route with no safety help. That is exactly what you want, and they hit it on the run, and if Tyreek breaks the shoe string tackle of that cornerback who's playing that outside leverage. It's a seventy yard touchdown because that safety got ran off. So not only do you create a super defined easy throw for your quarterback, you damn near gave him a seventy yard room service touchdown on a throw that quite frankly, you or I could have made, Like maybe not you were I, but it was not a difficult throw by any stretch. Now, it was a lot of air yards. So I'll probably get greted really well for that. But that's why we watched the film and break this stuff down that way. Next drive, same exact thing, that little play action fake where we slide the end around and you know, Tua takes the snap on this out of pistol off him and like he turns his back to the defense and kind of like slow steps the fake handoff and then gets himself right back into a throwing position. And this is where I thought Huntley began to kind of play a little bit sharper or made a little bit more plays with anticipation and rhythm of the offense, because he drives this football with anticipation. The tyreek on a little bender route inside, and I love the reaction off those first few throws that weren't angled in like a true dig. It was more of this like skinny bender where you would just basically attack the leverage of the cornerback and then kind of not really angle back to the middle of the field, but stack him on your back and slowly work towards the post to kind of make it like a scene shot, like a glance route almost, And they kept doing that, and the defense started backing up more and more, and the linebackers began to back up more and more on the second level, and we started to flatten those routes off, like a full ninety degree angle on a dig route to adjust for that. So I just thought it was a nice game plan and a good snapshot of anticipating what they might do to react to your early success and having a plan for that. So a big tip of the cap this week to Mike McDaniel and this Dolphins offensive coaching staff, because I told my co host on radio, I told my buddies who I text with. I'm not going to put it on social, but I said, I'm concerned if they come out in this game with Tyler Huntley and it looks like it did in the previous games, where he either has no growth within the passing offense or you haven't adapted for his style of play. That would be a massive red flag and concern to me. But you didn't get that. You got the opposite, and that to me is very encouraging going forward, not just with this quarterback but the future of the quarterback position here in Miami as obviously next year you have to make the backups a priority in this offense. I tend to think he'll get a look at Tyler Huntley in this offense again, and probably a draft pick somewhere that you feel that you can develop them behind to it like, you have to start building this quarterback room because of two availability issues into the idea that you can develop a long term starter behind Tua and if they both work out, great, you move the younger guy and two as your guy for fifteen years. That's what we all hope for, but that's where you have to be. You can't go into next year with Skyler Thompson and Mike White as your only plans because they just were not up to par to play offense, to play football on this offense. I think Huntley showed you that he can do some of that, and we'll get to the nip here I have on Huntley in just a second. But also a younger quarterback that has the tools to grow and develop who is gives you a better skill set than what you got from Scalar Thompson.
Speaker 2: So I thought all those things were at play.
Speaker 1: I thought you got a big, you know, a massive pass of the test check mark for Mike McDaniel and his offensive staff. Now we break down the quarterback every time on the show, and you can hear the hesitancy in my voice, and I think that most folks here probably aren't the people on social that spout off at the mouth and say stuff I don't know anything about about, you know, my credibility or my film study or my knowledge of the game. So I feel like I'm talking to friends here for the most part. There'll be a few guys that straggle along they are still here, probably that I just don't really care about. But I'm gonna nitpick Huntley because I didn't think it was as good on tape as it was when I watched it on Sunday. So you know, I praise those first three plays, and I praise Huntley for playing on time when I'm watching the game on Sunday, But then I dial up the first play, and yes, he does find Tyreek for a first down on second and ten on that curl. But man, if you have the All twenty two pulled up and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about here. The timing of the route could not have been matched up with the footwork and the drop of Huntley any better than it was. And like the minute you see Tyreek throttle down, Huntley is hitching up off the top of his drop, and that has to be one hitch timing ball out right now, I have to anticipate him coming back down the stem, even though he hasn't shown me his numbers and I'm still looking at his back. You have to anticipate and play that style of football, especially in this offense. But just to be a successful quarterback in this league, and Tyreek comes out of the break, it could have produced a much bigger run after the catch, because when the ball hits the receiver out of the break, that's the maximum separation, especially a receiver who can press the toes at four two, four to three speed and back him off and then show the quarterback his numbers. If you put that ball on him right when he turns around, he has five yards of space to operate with because that cornerback is still dealing with the fact that he just got ran off and has to change directions and now get back downhill and pursue Tyreek Hill as a ball carrier.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't do that.
Speaker 1: He comes off that hitch it passes up on that throw that's wide open, and scrambles around and moves to his right and throws it two or three beats later, and we.
Speaker 2: Get to completion him.
Speaker 1: But it's just not good quarterback play because you're not playing within the rhythm of the offense and you minimize what your player could do after the catch. He still gets the stats. It still looks like a good throw from the quarterback. And I'm not complaining about that. We did move the chains. But these are the high level nuances of Tua's game that people just don't see at all, and you can see when any other quarterback plays in this offense, it just cost you yards.
Speaker 2: It cost you opportunities.
Speaker 1: It's like you know sometimes when you like pass a slow moving car and you wind up getting at the red light ahead of that car, and then he pulls up behind you and kines.
Speaker 2: Like, what were you doing back there? Like we both got to the same destination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But if I do that ten times in a row, you know, eight of those times, maybe I do hit that green light, and it pays off the eight times I do it, compared to the two that don't pay off, Like good process pays out, pays off in the long term when you do it over and over again. Now, after the first couple of drives, I felt like he did lock in and all that prep that he kind of you know did over the last couple of months clicked into place for him. Like the footwork was smooth, the timing was smooth, the location was really good. In the footballs that he was throwing. He was throwing with anticipation and those plays where he's throwing those little skinny benders inside almost like a mini bang eight. A bang eight is where, like you basically it's like a slow developing post route to the goalpost, right, we do this, but like at an abbreviated version of it, like almost like a glance route, I think, or the straight digs where it's you know, twelve fifteen eighteen yard intervals down the field. You hammer that thing off at a ninety degree angle back inside, which we talked about in the open. Those were all sharp and you can win with that approach. I just hope that that first couple of throws that were not on time in a rhythm was because of rust, and we saw more of it in the second half that got better. You know how, we always praised too it for ball handling too. By the way, Tyler was incredibly sloppy on that Malik Washington end around that got popped for like a ten yard loss. The crashing linebacker was ready to chase that play from the front side, but Huntley kind of holds the ball out there and telegraphs he's gonna flip it, whereas Tua like holds it and kind of, you know, accentuates those fine details. I know how this is going to get great for people that don't like to his game, but I feel confident in how I view the tape, and that's why I saw Another grap I have is when he comes off the first read, the initial reaction is to start moving. It makes it really hard to play instructure against a defense that has its top guys and is well connected, and I think that's why you saw things really flip in that second half when Denzel Ward goes out because the ball's coming out to that first read a lot easier when he's not in the game, taking away Tyreek Hill on a handful of reps, like after the Tyrell Dotson pick, he takes a sack on second long where if he just played from the pocket and progressed through things, he would have had John H. Smith for a checkdown throw, but he scrambles himself right into a sack. That throw to John wu that was DPI negating an interception. The result doesn't excuse the process.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: The first half tape was just not good. I'm gonna be honest with you guys. He was late on that throw. It was behind you, John Who Smith. You can see John Who sells the corner and then takes it back to the post a copper route corner post route, but the ball leads him up the numbers opposed to slashing across the field to the logo, and it allows the defensive back to undercut it and make this crazy interception. But you did get bailed out because he climbed John Newsmith's back because he was that well stacked from a route running perspective to get the DPI instead of the interception. Then the next throw is way behind my league Washington, and he makes a great catch off of his frame to juggle it and put us back into field goal range. I thought the first half was quite frankly brutal and scoring six points and having that many misthrows and that many failed operations. That's what you get in that situation. Now, the reason I thought his game was good. I thought the second half was a lot better. The three plays. I want to really emphasize and praise him for the shot to create craft before his touchdown run. He got an indicator of leverage and the shell based upon the route combination, and confidently drove that thing with velocity between the eight and the five on the jersey. A beautiful throw. I will always praise it when I see it. The touchdown run after that, there's no breaking down of the film here. It's just Sam Law football, and we had the best athlete on the field for that play, making moves and finding the end zone.
Speaker 2: Great play.
Speaker 1: Snoop all at a fourth play, the one that coach challenged. I still think he got that first down and it was a hell of an effort. But the third play I wanted to talk about was the third and seven scramble on the two drives later after the touchdown. Fuel's man coverage sees a gap in the rush lanes. They don't have good rush land integrity, and love when a quarterback is aware of that and man coverage because then you know you have space to run because guys have their backs to you and just hits it with conviction, very very well done, and then you know the balance the awareness go get it for us. Made a great play there, So good stuff on the second half. I thought the first half was pretty rough and overall a kind of an average quarterback game that was I thought really well called and manicured from a coaching staff perspective. First break right there, come back on the other side, talk about offensive standouts and misses well to the defense later on as well. That's the next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by I don'tation Dolphins win this one in Cleveland twenty two three. The individual standouts offensively begin with Tyreek Hill, who has been hearing it from me on the podcast, right. I thought he's not played well. His attention to detail has been bad and cost us some big moments. But I thought in this game, you got full conviction, full urgency Tyreek Hill, and that.
Speaker 2: Was awesome to see.
Speaker 1: I love the way he attacked the football with aggression, came back to it and caught it with his hands. I thought he moved at a different rate in this game. His releases were fantastic. He was getting up to a full speed very quickly off those releases and forcing cornerbacks to declare, which that's like. You know, Tua talked about indicators last week with Jalen Waddle and how good of a job he does to basically tell the quarterback what the coverage the leverage might be. That's why I saw in this game from Tyreek Hill where he would quickly force defenders to declare their coverage by flipping their hips or you know whatever it is that declares that based upon how you react to the route. And then he would break off the stem just as they hit full speed and forces these guys to change directions on a field that was a pretty slippery track, and he played with urgency. I thought that popped off the tape all game, especially on those eighteen yard curls where he would push the roof of the defense with that urgency, with that explosiveness, with that downfield threat, and then get back down the stem and create these really big windows for snoop on rivers, big conversion. Tyreek runs a double move and left Martin Emerson in the dust, but we didn't see him on that throw, so he was open all game long, caught all nine targets, and he overcame an opening drive where I was like, this is more of the same because we had two miss key blocks on a nice eight chan run and a screen also got hit for a holding earlier. But after that, I thought he played a pretty perfect game. So Tyreek Hill big bounce back here against the Browns and an offense that had to have their best player make some plays in this game, and he did that. Leak Washington the details on this, dude. We hit this comeback to Reek to start the second drive of the game, and Malik has to have an outside release on a number two cornerback who's outside leveraging him, and he's trying to take it away with that outside leverage. But Malik rains and works the entire way up the route, eventually winning that position on the field, and it helps create this perfect throwing lane for Tyreek to have the comeback route on the snoop.
Speaker 2: Scramble to the left.
Speaker 1: Then he's making these tough catches in traffic, getting extra yards after the catch. Had the bad drop, but still a very strong game on balance. We've basically seen every young receiver that's come here not be able to even get on the field.
Speaker 2: This dude gets it. He's getting an increased workload.
Speaker 1: I think you found your future at number three or four receiver, depending on your depth in health and your punt returner. Good sign here from Lake Washington. Kendall Lamb did a fantastic job and one on one pass pro reps. I thought he lost the block on the fourth and one that could have produced a first down had he made it, but he had a ton of other blocks in the game off the edge. He's been very solid these last two games, especially in pass pro coming back from the injury. Gosh, I wish we had Tea Stead and Lamb for that Texans game and could run it back because maybe you would have already been in a winning in position right now if you had that for yourself. Julian Hill, his development within the season this year has been really good. No fans wanted to to, you know, the tangible things that you can see right, penalties and drops and fumbles, and I get it. It was bad there for a while, but there were still reps on tape where he was really wiping the edge out in the running game. And he's not all the way there, but he does make a handful of these really tough blocks off the edge where he has to basically gain outside leverage against guys that are outflanking him by multiple gaps. I just thought despite the fact that the run game didn't have much success in this one, I thought he was very effective and denting the edge as it were. He also managed to impact like three Browns defenders on that Snoop touchdown run. So a good work from Julian Hill in this game. I think that between him and John new Smith, there's a really good draft class of tight ends this year. I feel pretty good about finding one of those guys, Jackson Hawes from Georgia Tech, and rounding out this Dolphins tight end room with three good players. I think that we'll talk about the other one here in just a second, Patrick, Paul, you're gonna get some mixed reviews on his tape. But there was a couple of reps in Pass Pro where the best pass rusher on the planet kind of got Myles Garrett. But the way that he guides or rather glides i should say, into his past sets at that size.
Speaker 2: It's pretty rare. It's pretty rare, guys. He was also a bully in the running game.
Speaker 1: Like there were some reps where guys were like, all right, get off me fifty two, Like he just keeps on blocking him. I love how he can engage and flip his hips at the point of attack in those B and C gap runs where like they want to run it off of his button, the B gap right off of his the right side of his his right post because the B gap has been tackled and guard where he has to go find a or rather, I'm sorry, the sea gap off of his left side where he has to go reach a player who's on his outside shoulder went across his face and then get his hands in position to where he can flip his butt into that sea gap and wall it off and seal it you get a seal here and a seal here, and you run it.
Speaker 2: In the alley. He does that pretty well. I thought.
Speaker 1: You know again, he got beat a couple of times where his feet would go dead upon contact with the punch and Miles would like slap the hands down and get himself over his skis. But I can out of this tape and out of the season in general, convinced that we have our left tackle of the future.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Jeff Wilson for his blitz pick up on the Huntly third down scramble in the fourth quarter. Fantastic rep. And I think Jeff has earned some more playing time that he's got the last couple of weeks. And then shout out to Toront Armstead. I know he got banged up and left the game at halftime or late in the first half, but he was dragging that leg around, man, and I think he should be commended for not only go trying and giving it a go, but also bowing out and saying like, hey, takeover because I just can't go. I think that's commendable from Toront Armstead. Individual misses durham smythe like they talked about on the broadcast, but there are just so many reps where everything is blocked and then eighty one fails to his assignment on our first field goal drive. He just totally whiffed on a toss play the results in TfL and that's just consistent.
Speaker 2: Isaiah Win. I thought he had a rough game.
Speaker 1: I think he's won the battle clearly here if we're gonna call it that, But I wouldn't call it a good game for him. He got beat across his face for a sack, had a really dumb personal foul, fell off some blocks and didn't get connected to the second level. Not his best performance, but the guy behind him was I thought really bad. I thought was really really bad. Kept falling off blocks, couldn't hit reaches at key points. He gave ground against both pass rush and knockback in the run game. I think it should be seventy seven the rest of the way, and even if it's just one game the rest of the way. Rob Jones, I thought it was the same as Liam. A lot of pass rush pressures through his gap, but he just consistently loses blocks on second and third effort, and that's been the case all year long. I thought it was glaring in this game, eighth Chan made that catch that didn't hold up where he basically showed you for the second straight week receiver skills, and that was incredible. But I'm telling you, there is a reason this guy has the lowest rush yards over expected in the entire NFL. He consistently makes bad reads. Like the fourth down play. It wasn't well blocked and I don't think he would have gotten the first down, But I have no idea what the hell he was thinking on that track. He pressed that thing so far wide when there was nothing out there and there was a screen on, like the second play of the game where he he danced around and tried to search for the home run.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we just have to hit it.
Speaker 1: And I hope someone sits him down this offseason and goes over the film and says, like it's okay to run for five and six yards of pop, man, We don't have to go for seventy every play snap counts in the game. Snoop, Rob Jones, Aaron Brewer, and Kendall Lamb all go the distance. The Tron Armstead Patrick Paul split goes twenty seven for t Stead, thirty three for Pat Paul, and the Lynn, Liam and Win platoon, which I imagine is over, but we'll see. Goes thirty four for Isaiah, twenty six for Liam. Tyreek played eighty eight percent of the snaps, also gave you some pump returns in the game, Malik eighty six percent, creat Craft thirty three percent, and d s Gridge played two snaps. Julian Hill led all tight ends with sixty two percent of the snaps, Johnny Who played forty eight percent, and Durham gave you twenty eight percent. The running back workload was different and unique eight Chan had fifty three, Heem forty percent, alec Ingold played thirty eight percent, Hefe had eight snaps, and Jalen Wright got two snaps.
Speaker 2: Last break right there, come back on the other side.
Speaker 1: Do the defense in the top tapes Draft Time podcast, asked your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by I Dontation. We have covered the quarterback and the offense and the individuals and the Dolphins twenty to three win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. Let's go ahead and get into the defense here. And I gotta say forgive me for immediately looking ahead on a day where we extended a season into week eighteen after a two and six start. But I feel like you've really uncovered some solid depth that maybe you didn't even know about as recently as like six or eight weeks ago. And by that I mean Benito Jones is a guy that I thought had underwhelming tape in Detroit and Miami previously, who has shown me a real fit both against the run and as a periodic pass rusher in this defense, like a thirty percent player. I think that's a very valuable role to have in this defense. And the same with Quinton Bell off the edge. I felt the same way about Tyas Bowser when he went down and then at the edge position that's on top of Deshaan Han behind Zach Seeler. Feel like you still have a big need there, especially if kalay As Campbell re tires. If I bring Kalays back, I still want one more body there, But I feel like you have some decent depth there all of a sudden, with Benito and DeShawn hamplay in that way, and then with Quentin Bell and Tyas Bowser off the edge, with the growth from Chop Robinson in year two and getting both Chubb and JP back, suddenly it becomes a deep room.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I do think you probably need another relatively high investment off the edge to account for the fact that the top two guys are a thirty year old coming off a massive injury for like the third time in his career and a guy that has missed twenty one and a half of the last twenty three games in Jalen Phillips. But at least at least you found some depth there. And the same is true at defensive tackle, where I kind of thought we were in trouble when Tierre Tart didn't make the team, Jonathan Harris didn't make the team, Neville Gallimore didn't make the team. But both Benito and DeShawn have given you a lot and that is encouraging. And the reason I thought of this because the first play of the game, you know, and with a notion that Chubb and JP are waiting around the corner, like I see this game open up with Benito Jones as the backside one technique, Zach's either the front side three technique with Kalayis as a six technique, and Ogba the sixth technique on the other side, and then you have Quentin bells the wide nine to kalais aside. So a five man front that basically has size at every position, and they're in this twelve personnel grouping two tight ends with balanced personnel one tight end to either side of the formation, and we can call upon this defense that has three defensive tackles and two outside linebackers playing multiple positions, and they can get a hat into every single gap in the run fit. I think that Weaver man like he's just so prepared for everything a team can possibly throw at him. He knows his player strengths, he knows where they're vulnerable, and does a great job maximizing the situations for the former and minimizing them for the latter. The third half of the game, they present man free, which is man coverage across the board, one free safety in the middle of the field, and then cater rotates into a deep half invert cover two with Javon playing that deep portion on the other half of the field, and Jordan Poyer peels out into a deep hook drop after showing what was going to be man coverage, and I think that dtr hesitates a beat on his throw and ultimately misses it because it was if it was perfect timing and location, it would have been a conversion. And if you're playing Patrick Mahome, maybe it is. But that's the whole point of defense, right make the quarterback wrong, make them second guess themselves. And he does it all the time. On this particular drive, creates a three and out to start the game. Now I've got a one.
Speaker 2: Drive later, I got a zero presentation.
Speaker 1: Looks like cover zero cross the board and it turns into cover three with trail technique underneath. Like just these coverages that you wouldn't think you can get to from what it looks like pre snap.
Speaker 2: And it's really pretty to see. I broke it down last night.
Speaker 1: But I love the way they got the Dotson pick with a split field look, dropping him eighteen yards into that hook zone, a little bit deeper of a hook drop than you typically get. That's like what Fred Warner does against the Dolphins when they play US. But dtr has to layer that throw better. But it's a great bait and switch type of call to kind of show him like, hey, you have the middle of the field access right here for this eighteen yard dig route.
Speaker 2: Oh no you don't.
Speaker 1: There's dots in taking that away. The fourth down stop I felt swayed. The game was also a really just a good team effort. I think they actually have it pretty well blocked. If not for Kalayis Campbell just straight up swimming the left guard and leaving him in the dust and crashing the backside part of the formation, meeting the back right at the point of attack behind the line of scrimmage. Then you'll get Quentin Bell sifting from that backside as an unblocked defender. Which when you get those like you know, nine on nine counts in the box on fourth and one, you're always gonna have that backside defender left unblocked because they're trying to drive forward and get that yard. But he did a really good job of squeezing in tight to the line and tight to the formation to help, you know, jump in there with Kalais for the tackle. And then Zach Steeler literally throws himself back into the gap after he disengages from a front side double team strain execution will another thing of beauty and a calling card of this anthem we were defense. Now, let's make this point very clear. I think DTR is probably in the AFL or whatever the hell, that other league is by twenty twenty six and this operation is awful. I don't think the Browns offensive scoring double digits on any team they face in the NFL, So it's tough to draw too much and we'll keep it brief because of that. But the individual standouts spoiler. We voted for Team MVP today the media. I voted for Jordan Brooks. I think that he has been the most reliable, most durable. He's played the most snaps on defense. You can cut it and pace this every single week like he does it in all three phases. He cuts down this tight end leak that had him outflanked by two steps because he wanted it more and beat him to the spot for a two yard game.
Speaker 2: He goes.
Speaker 1: He comes within a half step of a pick six on the next drive, but does n't mope about it and just fires off the snap on the next play and makes a TfL had that big fourth down stick at the end of the game. This guy is just consistently awesome. Pass rushing off the edge, dropping from the middle, a gap, mugged up, blitzes, he does everything. He's a great player. Kalais Campbell, I have no idea what the big fellow's plans are for the future. But if you want to play another year, my friend, that door to me is wide open. The way he creates angles of attack and exposes them like you. Hear rushers on defense talk all the time and it works against the run too. About their desire to try to rush half the man. I think Zach Seiler talked about it on it HQ a few weeks back. He consistently gets himself into those spots with how he slants his rushes and his first steps off the snap. He was consistently folding the pocket. Then he'd have a two way go against the back and would find a way to stack the block and get back into the gap and make the play. Then the way he can ride the wave on the zone and then just pull a parking brake and stop the momentum and the offensive lineman just kind of goes whoa and like keeps going down the wave like tubular dude. Just a special special player. Kalay As Campbell is how about DeShawn hand not having any of their double teams at the point of attack. Game of grit from him? I wrote down Dan Campbell's stuff. He consistently took on thankless jobs and got them done. He also beat Wyatt Teller across his face so bad on one rep that the only choice he had was to drag him down for a holding call to prevent a massive TfL Tyrel Dodson. I thought his sideline the sideline pursuit was awesome in this game, and the range and generally he displayed the range on that pick and the playmaking to squeeze it. He had a spy rep on DTR that I thought showed some of the lateral range we talked about forces a roadway on a third down backed up in their own end. I thought he did a good job of getting to him on climbs.
Speaker 2: Early.
Speaker 1: The Browns were kind of pushing him around the first couple of drives, but then he really reacted to them well after that first quarter where he would go initiate the contact himself and get his knock back and dictate the terms and get off the block and contribute for a tackle. I thought he was really good in the top five tape in this game. Thought Emmanuel Ogbad did a good job of in a variety of roles in this game. He had one peel back in a fire zone where you know you rush, you show five, you peel back one guy and rush four where he chipped Jerry Judy working on Cater Coohu.
Speaker 2: To kind of take him out of the route.
Speaker 1: He played a solid edge against the run, and then when you make a splash play like that, you get in the those big time. Like what I loved about it was how he showed bull rush which led Jack Conklin to kind of lunge out over his skis, and then Emmanuel just pulled to the push pull technique where you grab on, you push him back, and then you pull him to kind of slingshot yourself Ricky Bobby style around the corner and left him in the dust. Then he finishes by punching the ball through the collision of the quarterback that his teach tape from Manuel ogball on that strip sack caterer Kohu man. I think one of the most underrated routine things that happens on this team is the way Cater attacks the outside shoulder, both on screens and against outside runs. Not only does he set the edge on those plays, because a lot of guys will just set the edge and that's okay.
Speaker 2: That's a win of a job.
Speaker 1: But if you can do that and get back into play as a tackler, it gives you an extra hat and the fit in the game in the run game. But I also have I think his feel for spatial awareness has expanded exponentially to adapt. His zone responsibility based upon what he's seeing has come so far. He used to kind of just like cover grass. He didn't do that anymore. I'm really impressed by Cater's game in this season so far. Gilean Ramsey the breakup on the goal line rare movement skills, especially at that size and length, but I have to say he has given inside access on those slants like all year long. Jerry Judy had him smoked on the Browns first drive of the third quarter, just drop the football. He also beat him on the line or beat him off the line well, Pauls on the pass breakup too, much like his pick and Buffalo where he kind of got lucky on a drop ball by Keon Coleman. And I think he was also be on the Raiders pick in that game as well.
Speaker 2: Storm Duck.
Speaker 1: I thought he looked smooth and comfortable, good transition out of his back Pedal had a nice pass breakup down around the goal line where he read the route and broke on the ball as it was coming out. So some valuable reps here for Storm Duck individual misses. It's just the safety all year, it's been this problem. Like Javon like man, the hardest I've played in a while. Comment really rubbed me the wrong way. Then he misses a tackle, has a near pick he doesn't make, another near pick he doesn't make, and then misses a tackle on Jerome Ford where he just dropped his head and got ran over all in the same drive. And then do you guys remember that Deshaun DeShawn hand holding call that backs up the Browns that first and nineteen. Then they hit Jerry Judy for seventeen yards in the next play. If you have the film, pull that up. Because he's playing single high safety and there's no backside post route that's going to threaten him deep and they run a dig in front of him with Kter Kohu playing outside liberge trying to funnel this route into Javon's help, and he just takes off to the post.
Speaker 2: I don't know where he's going or why he's going. There. That's what he did.
Speaker 1: Jordan Poyer getting trucked by dtr was who was already engaged by a tackler. That's kind of what we've seen all Yuri falls forward for two yards on third and short for a first down. It's just that that position has been a problem all year long. Snap counts Tyrell Dots and the only player who went the distance. They pulled some guys before the last last drive. It was Cater Coohoo, Javon Hall and Jordan Brooks and Jordan Poyer all played seventy one of the seventy nine snaps. Ramsey came out a series earlier, played sixty seven snaps in the game. Defensive tackles sealer seventy eight percent, Kalais sixty one percent. Man that guy gives us everything, doesn't he to? Sean Hann forty six percent and Benito Jones forty four percent, and Matt Dickerson got seven snaps late in the game. Emmanuel Ogbab paced the edges at seventy eight percent. Chop plays two thirds of the snap, Quintin Bell played one third of the snaps, and Cameron Good gave you six reps. Duke Riley played eight snaps in place of Jordan Brooks on those that final drive at cornerback Storm Duck was the third guy online seventy six percent. Ethan Bonner got twelve snaps, Saran Neil got eight snaps, and then Elijah Campbell played eleven snaps, and Patrick McMorris played eight STAPs. My top five tapes from the game. Number one kalais Campbell. He was everywhere, run pass game, played a whole bunch of snaps. What a great game from him. Number two was Tyreek Hill and he was the only guy on offense that got in the top five tapes. Number three was Tyrell Dotson, Number four Jordan Brooks, and number.
Speaker 2: Five cater Coo.
Speaker 1: Who you guys enjoy the last Monday night football game of the season, even though it has no relevance to the playoff football at Also, I might watch a movie instead. We'll be back on Wednesday, I think maybe maybe we won't. Maybe we'll skip Wednesday again into the preview podcast on Thursday, because you guys are all going to watch college football on Wednesday, right, We'll see. I'll let you guys know on social media. We'll have the Thursday preview Friday Kyle Krabs and we'll have a Jets guest as well. All of that coming away, but in the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast, leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at linklin NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Taking Podcast with Seth and Juice, the YouTube channel for Dolphins, HQ Media availabilities, and much much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com.
Speaker 2: Until next time, Vinza had on Cameron Daddy
Speaker 1: Just coming home.