Speaker 1: Hey, discos, need a little more Disgraceland in your life, just to touch to get you through. Yeah me too. This is the podcast that comes after the podcast. Welcome to Disgraceland, the after Party. Welcome to the Disgraceland bonus episode, a little thing we like to call the after party. This is the show after the show, the party after the party, the bridge to get you from one full episode of Disgraceland to the other. The backyard, to dig into the dirt, our mission to uncover the truth, to confront the myth, to reclaim the story. On this bonus episode, we're talking about music that the Incell movement loves. What we're digging into the greatest rock and roll records of all time. Thanks to our new episode on ACDC rewinding back to You two and the Murder of Rebecca Schaeffer. Previewing next week's new episode on Fish, when we get into your voicemails, text, dms, and as always, a whole lot of Rosie. This is the podcast for the musically obsessed, the outsiders, the independent thinkers who know that the best history is the history that gets buried. Disgrace Lams where I tell the stories they didn't want told the kind he'll end up telling someone else. All right, discos, let's get into it. In nineteen eighty five, they blamed ACDC for inspiring serial killer Richard Ramirez. In nineteen eighty nine, actress Rebecca Schaeffer's murderer Robert John Bardo, claimed you too compelled him to kill. In twenty eighteen, Scott Barelli walked into a Florida yoga studio and shot and killed two women, wounding several others before taking his own life. Music has always been an easy scapegoat, but it's never the songs. It's always who the killers already were. Scotparelli was an INCEL, part of a group of involuntarily celibate men, young aggrieved dudes who believe the women who reject them and the more traditionally masculine men who outshine them exist to keep them down. This is also a group whose members have killed before and will kill again, and it's a group that loves music. Jazzy Lupido nine to A eight M three Me's scissor with one C and a Z. These are the online user names for the creators of Spotify. Inceel playlists with titles like Inceell Virgin loser Core, Chronically Online, Autistic, four Chan, Suicidal and Real Older Brother Niche Weird Kid, Inceell in the Underground loser Core. If there's one theme that ties the songs on these playlists together, it's isolation. Songs like Just by Radiohead Scott Pilgrim versus the World Ruined a Whole Generation of Women by Negative XP in the Aeroplane by the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel, and an excellent and batshit crazy cover of Dion's nineteen fifty nine hit Teenager in Love by bird Bath. The music is angsty and irreverent and lives on the nerdier side of the street. More Rivers Cuomo and less Kirk Cobaine and lots and lots of Marssey. The Smiths occupy a special place in Inceell music playlist culture. There are entire in Cell playlists dedicated to tunes penned by Stephen Patrick, Morrissey and Johnny Marr, and it makes sense few bands in the last fifty years have better captured despair in alienation, and not to mention the fact that Marssey for much of his career publicly identified as celibate. When Incell Scott Barelli killed two women and injured five others before taking his own life into tallahow Hot yoga studio. He did so after posting his own music online angry, sneering, hostile songs, not metal, not hardcore rap, but instead lo fi rejection rock, rage turned inward, not dissimilar from Radiohead or The Smiths, or well most of the music populating the in cell playlist online universe. I'm not suggesting music played a part in Scott Barelli's motivation, nor am I blaming musicians for inspiring in cells to murder, but it's only a matter of time before someone does. The twenty eighteen Toronto van attack, where a self described inceell murdered eleven in an effort to incite a so called in cell rebellion. The twenty fourteen Isla Vista killings, when a twenty two year old man murdered six and injured fourteen others in an attempt to punish women who rejected him and the sexually active men he believed humiliated him. These are just two of what are numerous examples of in cell killings. Eventually, there will be more murder committed by young men who are chronically online, detached from reality, and obsessing over music. Algorithms now feed grievance faster than ever. Music, like politics and religion, is just another on ramp for the aggrieved. For those whom Paul Schrader and Thomas Wolfe once called God's Lonely Man, it turns out the modern version of God's Lonely Man has a pretty good taste in music, just like Richard Ramirez, who envisioned himself as the killer in ac DC's Night Prowler, and Robert John Bardow, who was obsessed with U two's exit. But music isn't the murder weapon. Music is the mirror. Acdc's Night Prowler wasn't a command. When Bond Scott whispered about slipping into someone's room after dark, he was setting fictional pulp horror lyrics over a menacing beat. Richard Ramirez didn't hear instructions on how to kill. He felt recognition God's Lonely Man, felt seen U two's exit did the same for Robert John Bardo. Bono wrote, the tune is a character study of a man undone by violence and faith the spiritual collapse. But to Bardo, a mentally ill man obsessed with fame. All he heard was a soundtrack to his own delusion. The same dynamics at play with modern inceell music. These playlists don't inspire violence, they reflect it. They echo the delusions of the men obsessing over them. The music isn't radicalizing them, it's validating their despair. Again, the music is the mirror, not the weapon. The problems consuming the in cell community go much deeper than music. These are young men raised online, coddled and medicated as children brought up in low to no state social environments, and who are helplessly unequipped to function in the real world. Outcasts as alienated as the musicians whose songs fill their playlists. It's only a matter of time before they kill again. And when they do, people will eventually point to in cell music as a scapegoat and smash the mirror instead of looking into what it shows us, and that will be a disgrace. I'll be back after this with your calls, texts, voicemails and more. All right, we are back, and speaking of the question about music inspiring death and destruction, We're going to set ourselves away from the dark corners of the incell Internet and to the Philippines for a little peeling back of the onion of the my Way killings. These are the murders inspired by Frank Sinatra's my Way tune. You know that makes sense. This might be the weirdest social phenomenon that I've ever heard of. This is the thing where numerous people in the Philippines were killed in connection to their performance of this song in karaoke. Bars Zeth and I knew very little about this until recently, and we're going to unpack this wild story in today's exclusive portion of this here After party, which you can hear by becoming an all access member of Disgraceland. For just five bucks a month. You get additional exclusive content like this ad, free listening, and more. Go to disgrace slaandpod dot com to sign up before prices go up at the end of this month. All right, So I landed on this inceel playlist topic earlier because this week in Disgraceland, we launched our ACDC par Our two episode along with rewinding our part one story, and that story deals with the band being blamed for inspiring Richard Ramirez the serial killer, and our rewind episode this week is on you two, and with that episode we have more killer inspiration with Robert John Bardo and the Rebecca Schaefer Murder. That you two episode will be available in tomorrow's rewind spot coming up right after this episode. Lots of music this week, supposedly inspiring murder. But I'm done talking about that, okay. I want to talk about a theme that we hit on in our new episode, our new ACDC episode this week, Great rock and roll records, the greatest rock and roll records. This question was prompted, of course, because acdc's album Back in Black was, for a minute there the greatest selling album of all time, not just the greatest selling rock record of all time, the greatest selling album of all time. A couple of years later, Michael Jackson's Thriller came along and topped it, but still Back in Black still sitting there in the number two spot. So that prompted our question, what's the greatest rock and roll record of all time? We're gonna hear your answers here, and I gotta gotta gotta say, pretty surprised by by the consensus from you guys, semi consensus from you guys on this topic. I'm gonna give you my answer after we hear from you, guys, vastly different from where you're coming from. Well, let's without further ado, let's check out Junior in the seven to one to four.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jake, this is Junior from the seven to one four And I believe, and this is just me the greatest rock album of all time is David Bowie Ziggy, Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. It's like a visual for your brain, just perfectly constructed, in a perfect, perfect story of the fallen Rocks has rock and roll, it has your power ballads, it has your tragic end and chift can be played over and over and I could never get tired of it. Well, thank you for what you're doing. You are freaking awesome, greatest storyteller ever. I have a good one, Jake, talk to you later.
Speaker 1: Junior. Thanks for the call. I love the Ziggy Startist album and I love this answer. I love it. I get the visual component here, the little theater of the mind that's going on, the theatrics, I should say, the narrative, all of it. It's tremendous storytelling in this record. There's ballads, it's a super dynamic sounding album. I love this choice. I wouldn't have thought of this on my own. It's not my choice, but I fully understand Jr. Why you're picking this, and you have some company. Let's hear what the nine to one success to say.
Speaker 3: Hi, Jake, this is mister Taylor from Raleigh, North Carolina calling to answer the question from last week great album of all time? No skips? And this is a tough one in its simplicity, as you said. You know, as a kid grown up in the late eighties and nineties, born to boomer parents who loved music. But when I came into this world, they gave me this sense that all of it had been decided that the Beatles were the greatest band of all time, and there was no discussion about it, that all the greatest music had already been made. So as a kid discovering music myself, I kind of took offense to this idea and it took me a long time to come around to it. You know, It's like kids these days being told that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time. I get the pushback. I mean, obviously they're wrong, Mjay's the man. But when I was coming up as a kid, it took me a long time to get to some of these great albums. But when I got into my twenties, I went back with fresh eyes and ears, and I listened to some of them, and I came to the conclusion that David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust is probably, if not the greatest start to finish album of all time. I mean, there are no skips. It is a concept album, but every single song is an absolute banger. It's starting with five years obviously, moon Age, day Dreams, Ziggy start Us, rock and roll Suicide. The album starts and finishes in the same way with absolute searing rock. Nick Ronson's guitar is undeniable. David Bowie is in his element, the greatest album he's ever made, the greatest character he's ever pervaded, and it is, in my opinion, the greatest album from start to finish, no skips, that has ever been recorded. That's my piece. Thanks a lot, Rocker Roller, All.
Speaker 1: Right, before I get into your answer nine one six, I totally relate to the offense you take at the Hey, everything's been figured out for you, man, don't worry about it. We already decided what the greatest records are basically every fucking music documentary pre nineteen ninety nine about the history of music or you know, the history of social culture in America. Anyhow, I love that we have another entry here for Ziggy start Us coming from the nine to one six. It's fantastic and this album strikes a chord. Clearly. You mentioned that it's a concept album. It transcends the concept album. I think it's more it's just because the song's on it. I don't think a Ziggy as a concept album. I know that sounds crazy. It's it's clearly defined as such, and but it just has such great single song bangers on it that are that are undeniable, that can be heard anywhere. You mentioned a bunch of Them'm not gonna belabor it, but just fantastic. And oh, by the way, yes, Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time. They got that one right. All right, let's check out the on this topic. More on this topic, let's go to the text machine, and I want to read this text from the four to seven zero Dave from Georgia. Dave. Dave wants to go ahead and just let us know that he's he's nominating tools Eenema, and I can't argue with you. I mean I could, but I won't.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it. You're gonna listen to this forever. That's what you're telling us, Dave, And you have every right too. And it's an awesome record. I don't quite think that it is, uh oh, what you know? Who am I to say? A lot of people love Tool. I overlook the Tool fans. I shouldn't. You guys are legion. We talked about this before, particularly around the gender splits in Tool fandom, and I heard loud and clear from you guys, So Dave, I appreciate this. Four to seven Oh, Dave is nominating tools Enema as the greatest rock record. Let's check out for something different here the three to one Oh, who writes in the one rock album. If I could only ever listen to one album again, says the three one oh, would be Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers, best album by one of the best bands, that defines rock and is my go to when I can't select through all the many records on the shelves, So in some ways already is my one record to rule them all. That's from Joe and the three to one, Oh Joe, I hear you. It's a great one. It's my I guess it's my second favorite Stones album, uh, Exile being my first Exile being. You know, there's a handful of double albums in the history of rock and roll that are truly great, and Exile to me is one, if not the greatest. I don't know. I think I like it more than the White Album I do, I definitely do, but it's not my favorite rock record. We'll get to that in a minute. Seven to two four Rights saying, Hey, Jake, it's Anthony and as I listen at my job as an insurance accountant to get through the day, you asked for the best no skip album, and if I had to say one for my generation, I'm thirty three, I'd pick American Idiot, genuinely solid start to finish. That's the green day album American Idiot from the seven two four Anthony and the seven two four, who goes on to say, though, my personal favorite no skip that probably won't count as Alison Chains Jar of Flies EP, You're right, doesn't count's an EP. It's definitely no skip though, love it. It's my favorite. Alison Chains too by the way, Uh, good health to you in yours and later days from the seven two four appreciate you seven to two four. Before we move on from this topic, my favorite rock and roll album is not acdc's Back in Black, but it is an ACDC album, and I mention it in I think both are ACDC episodes. It's Poweradge. It's just incredible for an ACDC album. It's pretty dynamic for a rock and roll record, not that dynamic. It kind of delivers over and over again on the same vibe all throughout. And that is just a dirty ass rock and roll band that I imagine would just just destroy your night in the best possible way, where you to just stumble upon them playing those tunes in a little bar back in the nineteen seventies. I can't get enough of this album. I've never gotten sick of it. It defines the band for me. It defines rock and roll for me. And if you want to break down of exactly what I mean, you can listen to the go back and listen to the first ACDC episode. I get into it pretty thickly, but yeah, that's my choice. It's it kind of defies the criterion I set up earlier in the last episode when I asked this question, I guess it's not that dynamic. Like I said, it's not that varied. It kind of does one thing. But I don't know. Like I said, I just fucking love it. I love it and I can listen to it forever. So there you go. Boring answer from me, boring, I know, as not as thoughtful as the Ziggy Stardust answer, but what can I say, You guys are more thoughtful for me. Speaking of which, let's check out this text from the two to eight, who writes, Hey discos. This is Michelle with one L, and I'm reaching out to tell you what I'm watching right now. I did watch Black Rabbit, which I thought was really good, and I finished watching The Monster with ed Geen, the ed Geen story. But the one that I'm most excited to tell you about is called Ratchet. It's a really really great movie. And the Nurse, isn't it based on the Nurse? And one flew over the Cuckoo's nest. Dang, that's fantastic. As I read this, I'm piecing together that this is actually a message for Zeth, but I don't care. Michelle with one L you get a little love here in Disgraceland, as I'm sure you're gonna get it in hollywood Land as well. Michelle includes a picture of well part of herself in front of the mirror, and she says, here, I've included a picture of my mirror where I jot down things that y'all tell me I need to watch or listen to or whatever. And there's some marker notes all over Michelle with one l's mirror here and looks like I can see your robe there as well. I'm gonna stop it there, Michelle, thank you for the message. We appreciate it. Guys six one seven nine O six six six three eight, And you want to get in touch, want to talk about whatever, go for it. I'm here and I will continue to be here next week when our long awaited new episode on Matt give me a drum roll, drum roll please, as they say in the biz, that biz being show business, give it to him, Att, stretch it out, man, make it count, Come on, build up the anticipation. Our next episode is on the Fish. Excuse me, I mean fish, not the fish. What am I saying fish? Anyway, when listening to this new Fish episode, I would like you guys to be thinking about what music y'all like to listen to when you're you know, you know, stoned, hi, gummat up, perhaps flying on a few cocktails, as they say, what are you kicking back to and putting on the stereo when you're unwinding with perhaps I don't know some of the stuff that Trey got into, some of the not so adult stuff, some of the more recreational fun stuff that doesn't kill you. What music do you like to listen to? What records do you like to listen to when you're you know, under the influence. That's the question that's going to be our question of the week next week in honor of the I mean fish. Excuse me call me six one seven nine oh six six sixty three eight, text me, leave me a voicemail, hit me up on the socials at the Gray Lamb Pod and let me know. You might hear your answer right here in the after party.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll be back in a flash.
Speaker 1: All right, Mac, give me the drake may buzzer beater. Wait, hold up, actually not yet, I'm always jumping the gun boating. Hold it, hold it now, hold it now. This is the sixty second Sports rant in under thirty seconds, and it is once again sponsored by five Hour Energy's new Pumpkin Spice flavor, your favorite fall drink in an energy shot. You can pick up a Pumpkin Spice five Hour Energy Shot available online at five hour Energy dot Com or Amazon. All Right, Maddie, hit me with the tiki talk. There we go. I called this the Drake May buzzer beater because I'm afraid. I'm fearful. It's no longer Halloween season, but I'm freaked out. How long? How long before Drake May takes off out of my new England Patriots backfield and has walloped with a season ending injury. The dude needs to learn how to slide in the Patriots. They've got to take the pressure off this kid and play better. It can't be the Drake May show every damn weekend. Okay one, He's gonna get killed trying to make plays with his feet too. You cannot win a super Bowl this way. I thought the Patriots are going to go out of the trade deadline this week and pick up an edge rusher, maybe some safety depth, perhaps a running back that has hands that work and can hold onto the damn football, anything to take the pressure off. But no they didn't. They didn't do anything. They traded for Dick bupkisses. What they did as in nothing, not a zilch. Let's hope they know what they're doing and our quarterback stays healthy.
Speaker 3: Matt, how did I do fifty five seconds? Jake got it under a minute?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe I need some trade deadline out, Matt. Maybe that's what it is, all right. That was the sports ran sponsored by five Hour Energies New Pumpkins Spice flavor. These new Pumpkin Spice five hour Energy shots are fall in a bottle and bring that classic pumpkin spice flavor that we all know and love, our favorite fall drink in an energy shot. You can pick up a Pumpkinspice five hour Energy shot available online at five hour Energy dot Com or Amazon. All Right, I have not seen the Springsteen movie, and I don't believe Matt has either. I'm not motivated to. I've seen some clips. We've talked a little bit about this. I'm a yeah, man, I don't know anyway. Zeth has seen it, okay, and he's talking about it over in the Hollywood Land Rap Party, which you can hear today by following and subscribing to the Hollywood Land Feed wherever you get your podcasts now. I don't know if you guys heard, but we're rolling out these new mini episodes to disgrace in All Access members. These stories are the excess excess, the wild, weird and interesting music history tales that just don't fit into our full episodes. All right, this week, we've got an insane one. Okay, we've got just a crazy This could have been the entire full episode. And it's the story that I came upon. I came to it late. I'll admit I came to it when we first got into researching ac DC, and I read the Jesse Fink book on Bond Scott and there's this insane theory. It's more than a theory. There's a lot of evidence that backs this up, a lot of people going on the record and talking about this, and there's a lot of circumstantial evidence as well that points to this quote unquote theory being true. And it's the theory that Brian Johnson, the singer on Back in Black, was not responsible for writing the lyrics or all of the lyrics. Excuse me, with the young brothers, and that prior to his death, Bond Scott had actually finished writing the lyrics to the entire album. Now there's some question of, you know, how many of the lyrics he actually did finish. Uh, And there's a huge question if this even happened. That the Young brothers have denied it over and over again, but they've also said some things that kind of opened the door a little bit. It's a it's a I don't want to say shady, but there's a lot of gray area here and it's a fascinating, fascinating topic to discuss and to try and unpack. So that's what we do in the mini episode and Matt give them a little taste. Given that Back in Black is the second biggest selling record of all time, the matter of the album's legitimacy is important. Did the band members who are as writing the music for that album actually write the music for that album? Yes, and possibly no. Ac DC's guitarist brothers Malcolm and Angus Young are credited with writing the music on Back and Black, alongside singer Brian Johnson, who had just joined the band prior to Back in Black's recording, As the recently deceased bon Scott's replacement of the ten songs on Back in Black. All are credited to Malcolm Young, Angus Young, and Brian Johnson, and it should be noted that ac DC, Angus Young, and Brian Johnson specifically have denied that bon Scott had anything to do with the writing of the songs on Back in Black. However, this vicious rumor persists that Brian Johnson did not write the lyrics for Back in Black, that Bond Scott, prior to dying, had indeed written the lyrics for the songs on the second biggest selling album of all time. Now Again, ACDC has vehemently denied this claim, but two of bon Scott's girlfriends are on record saying that bon Scott absolutely was writing the lyrics for acdc's next album before he died in nineteen eighty and that next record was, of course Back in Black. In fact, his girlfriend Silver Smith, has stated publicly that on the night that Bond died, Bond was in fact celebrating that he had just finished writing the lyrics for what would become the band's next record, and the band was set to go to the studio straight away and recording. Now, when these rumors began to surface. Malcolm Young said point blank that bon Scott had nothing to do with the writing of Back in Black. Angus Young said the same thing numerous times, and in his autobiography. Brian Johnson later said on equipped that he wrote all of the lyrics on Back in Black. He wrote everything, but the lyrics on Back in Black. Many seem like lyrics Bond Scott would write. She told me to come, but I was already there. That sounds like a bond Scott lyric, It really does, But that doesn't prove anything. Brian Johnson was literally trying to replace what the previous ACDC singer bon Scott was doing so naturally to please the fans, even if he was doing it unintentionally. He's going to try and do some of the same things that the dude who just died who he's replacing, had done. So when people bring up the fact that the lyrics sound like bond Scott lyrics, it doesn't mean a lot to me. However, after bon scott died in very short order, in a matter of hours, bon Scott's London apartment was cleared out, his TV, his fancy new VCR machine, his clothes, his other personal effects. They were all taken, and so was the notebook that Bond Scott was writing his lyrics. All right, that's our newest DISGRACELAMD mini episode on the back and black lyrics. Controversy concerning ACDC and that theme music. That banger theme music created by mister Matt Boden is worth the price of a mission. You can hear it every week by becoming an all access Remember, you're gonna get exclusive content just like that, just like the additional content coming up in the exclusive section of the After Party. To become an all access member, it's super easy to go to Disgrace slampod dot com. You can sign up there for five bucks a month and that price will hold until for a couple more weeks now, and then it's going to go up and you'll get the exclusive content I'm talking about, and you'll also get ad free listening and access to all the other discos in the chat. Is cool. And the other night last night we were on Patreon. If you sign up via Patreon, you know there's all this stuff we do over there every other week or so, some sort of live some sort of connection community thing. And we did this thing last night where we all jumped on. We made a mixtape together. It was very cool mixtape for our upcoming cooking plans for Thanksgiving, had a bunch of listeners on with us contributing song ideas. It was awesome. So we do stuff like that too. You get access to that if you come a member on Patreon. You can also become a member on Apple podcasts, Neutral Milk Hotel, The smith Radiohead, and we don't have any Disgrace Sand episodes on these artists, and we should for sure the Smiths, and I don't know how to do one on Radiohead, but there's got to be some in there. Somebody believe somebody wrote, wrote me or called and left me some information on Neutral Milk Hotel as well, which would be really cool. Oh it was that, actually that was talking about doing an episode on Neutral Milk Hotel. Anyway, we don't have episodes on these guys, but we have episodes on two hundred and fifty five different artists, So different stories on artists, two hundred fifty five epet you know what I'm saying. Everyone you can think of Amy Wine, how is Grateful Dead, Rolling Stones, Cardi B, Tommy James, and the Shan Dell's I mean, come on, endless, Lil Wayne Oasis, I mean, come on. Do you have questions on how to locate any of these episodes in our archive? Hit us up, you know where to find us. We're easy to get at. We'll sort it out before you point you in the right direction. I gotta get out of here though. My kid's playing in a playoff game tonight. I'm very excited about it, and we will check that out before I do that. However, I get a recap. So number one. This week's full episode are part two episode on ACDC that's available before you're right now. A new mini episode for All Access members on acdc's back in Black lyrics controversy. Who really wrote those tunes? Was a Bond Scott Brian Johnson? Well you can find out. I'm becoming an All Access member and listening to the new mini episode, all right. Number three rewind episode on You two coming up right after this. Number four. Next week comes our new episode on the Fish. Five Zeth gives you those Hollywood and crime vibes and Hollywood lands, So make sure you're subscribing to me. Six six one seven nine oh six six six three eight your voice keeps us digging into the dark corners of music history. So keep calling, texting with your answers to this week's question of the week, or with whatever else y'all want to talk about. Number seven. Don't forget disc goes. This isn't just content. It's a community, a community of the obsessed, and no one cares about music, books, records in the crime and grime that ties them all together like you do. And well that's a disgrace.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: On November sixth, twenty fourteen, ACDC drummer Phil Rudd was arrested in what was one of the weirdest examples of life imitating art that I've ever come across. And here's what America was listening to on that day. Number one, All about that Base Megan Trainer last week one weeks on chart sixteen, peak position one, number two, Shake It Off Taylor Swift last week two weeks on chart ten, peak position one, number three, Habits Stay High to last week last week five weeks on chart, peak position number