Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys, screening live from the Dallas Cowboys World.
Speaker 2: Course at the Star in Frisco, Pinzon, Texdown and now your hosts Isaiah Stanback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's a Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in.
Speaker 4: Frisco, Texas in the s WBC studios.
Speaker 3: Welcome in everybody, as we've got our full cast and crew ready for you to rock today. We've got Patrick noc Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Hi, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's Glad you're with us.
Speaker 4: We are all back in the building. That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, took a little bit of time, made a couple of trips, kind of went back and forth.
Speaker 5: I want you to let everybody know we're back up.
Speaker 4: We are so bad now did you have a first class seat?
Speaker 6: Call?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Funny story. Funny story, not like the Isaiah tandem. Whenever he decided to leave us in coach, I told my friends that I was going to upgrade the first and I did, and I upgraded a first class on the way back. You know what happened though, The Cowboys hired a head coach and we had to change our flight to get there, change the one on the way back.
Speaker 4: But I lost the seat upgrade and they threw me in the middle seat. Yeah it sucked. Oh it was awful. It was such a pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was literally one A. I've never flown first class in my life. The closest thing the first class is when we're on the charter, and that is definitely not first class.
Speaker 4: Wow, but I've never done it in my life. I was so excited. I was like, let me, let me just splurge a little bit.
Speaker 7: You have to put your bag up the top though, traveling a lot. Yeah, you can't have the laptop out until you know you take off.
Speaker 4: It's a whole nother thing. American, do the right thing.
Speaker 1: It was all.
Speaker 7: Right, double a, do the right thing. Put my guy, put put him in first class, Get him out of the middle.
Speaker 3: Show too broad for the middle, too broad, too broadic, kind of like Eddie George in the booth here that is, there's.
Speaker 7: Some people that you growing up playing football right, You're like, you have a high regard for you respect their game of course, right, Like they've done some amazing things. They seem like good people. You know, he played with you know, seeing me may or some legends, things like that. He does some amazing things as a as a player. Talking about Eddie George, that is yeah, but when you see some people in person, you have to try to comprehend the challenges that were being handed down to defenders that were respond for bringing this man down. Now you hear about big running backs and I'm like, Okay, you know, I'm not a small guy.
Speaker 8: So I hear about big running back.
Speaker 7: I'm like, ok yeah, they're a little bit smaller than me probably whatever, Like that's challenging. Eddie George made me want to go to the weight room that evening.
Speaker 8: He came in.
Speaker 5: He still got He came.
Speaker 7: In the booth when I was calling the East West Ryne game with the rest of the NFL Network crew, and they wanted us all to get into this tight shot because the camera that we had up there for for that particular shot wasn't necessarily a wide angle, right, So it was like, Okay, you guys got a scoot scooch together, right and that scoot together, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just a scoot.
Speaker 7: Do you guys see his shoulders Like, I can't get any we can't be shoulder to short.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna have to be behind him.
Speaker 4: You show that picture to that are watching it online.
Speaker 8: Absolutely. For those that are watching online, this is.
Speaker 4: Live on YouTube and live on the draft shot Twitter. So am you sure to subscribe?
Speaker 7: By the way, as of yesterday, I am six three, two hundred and forty nine pounds. As of yesterday we started U versus JUNI okay, so two hundred and forty nine pounds sixty three Eddie, Eddie's This is Eddie George standing right next to me.
Speaker 8: Yes, the ballheaded guy.
Speaker 5: Not only did he play for the Titans, he looks like one.
Speaker 8: What his arms crossed?
Speaker 1: Bar?
Speaker 8: What is this?
Speaker 5: He looks like he just won the Royal Rumble.
Speaker 7: This is a yeah, that is ah bro, Come on, look at his shoulders and look at my shoulder.
Speaker 1: That's not George, that's Bobby Lashley.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what.
Speaker 1: Look at this.
Speaker 8: Look at I'm looking at him like, bro, like what are you? You're a Decepticon.
Speaker 5: That's a big dude.
Speaker 7: It made me want to go do all the push ups and all the shoulder shrugs that I could possibly do, because I felt so small, Like there's certain people you meet we just like, all right, you stand next to Shack, You're like, okay, Like that's just genetics, like whatever.
Speaker 8: I can never be that tall.
Speaker 5: I felt the exactually more when I stood next to Mickey Paola for the first time and his bike shorts.
Speaker 4: I was like, maybe his bike shirt.
Speaker 5: Like when we're talking about just a your.
Speaker 1: Athlete, I among.
Speaker 5: I had never heard among you. I can't, dude, it's a specimen. When it comes, I will.
Speaker 3: The black shorts with the red button pat yea if I'm if I'm in his shape.
Speaker 4: When I'm making no age.
Speaker 9: I'm.
Speaker 5: All, that's not the dude. By twenty miles, yeah, training, I'm like barely getting up to go. Good breakfast was like, what's up, Mickey, He's like, oh, just did twenty miles, Like Mickey's a beast. But I felt the same way. Yeah, yeah, yes, in awe of a human being, Like I still next.
Speaker 8: To Whitworth Andrew Whitworth.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm supposed to be smaller than him, right, like his office a lineman.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just as a tail back.
Speaker 8: This is a running back.
Speaker 7: YEA like like put it, let me put this in perspective, Derek, let me put this in perspective.
Speaker 8: Yes, but Derek Henry and I are the exact same size. We're both six s three.
Speaker 1: He's in pective, yes, because yes, that means next to Derek and exactly and.
Speaker 4: This is like the forty five year old version of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Crazy, and it's crazy that we were able to see in our lifetimes battles like Ray Lewis versus Eddie Florid. Yeah, yearly, I mean.
Speaker 7: Physical, and we talked about how physical the game was. Act then obviously there's still football, but it's not as physical as it once was.
Speaker 5: And those guys were freakingty thousands clashes lash Bro Glad.
Speaker 7: Of the Titans a good movie, very good.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I want to hear more about the Shrine Bowl, and I want to hear more about some of.
Speaker 4: The draft prospects because I know Pat, you were in the building as well.
Speaker 1: Building.
Speaker 4: Of course I was out in Mobile for the Senior Bowl. We're going to talk. We had it all covered, absolutely, we had it all, all.
Speaker 3: Of it, all of it, Baby, We're going to talk a little bit more draft. When we get to the third segment today, we're going to take your calls in the second segment eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. We haven't talked to Cowboys Nation in a hot minute, so give us a call. Eighty eight eight five five two two nine seven. But before we get into the phone lines, and I want to hear about a little bit of everything.
Speaker 4: The Schottenheim or higher.
Speaker 3: He's your new head coach, uh, the oh see the DC, the player, the coaches, whatever it ends up being across the way, could even be Miles, Garrett, Cooper Cup, whatever ends up being, as they have both seemingly been on their way out Cleveland, Browns Uh still on a contract, Miles requested a trade from Cleveland, and then apparently Cooper Cup releasing that LA is going to trade Cooper Cup. So you could ask about those questions too. We can't say everything because at.
Speaker 1: Least there's some communication there is at unlikely Luca. But you know, okay, I don't want to talk about don't want to talk.
Speaker 8: At least those teams. That was a good move. That was a good move.
Speaker 4: Stop it don't even close to that. Keep going let's I want.
Speaker 3: To update the fans who haven't been keeping a lot tabs.
Speaker 4: Let's run down the list. What do staff look like.
Speaker 1: Right now as we have this conversation, and I'll let you know who's confirmed who's not confirmed. So we know Brian Schartenheimer's new head coach. Offensive coordinator is going to be Clayton Adams from the cart News. Matt Eberflus reuniting with the Cowboys, this time as the defensive coordinator. Former Cowboy his linebackers coaching, defensive passing game coordinator, special teams coordinator replacing Bones Fossil who went to the Tennessee Titans is Nick Sorenson, who is bringing that Kyle Shanahan tea into the building. I can't get enough of that. Yes, sir, Titans, we were able to retain lond Well's massive for three massive resigning, especially and since the last.
Speaker 3: Time we were on the air, they've also resigned Will McLay.
Speaker 1: The biggest free agent on the Cowboys. We did it, secured, we did it everybody, absolutely so Will McClay is still in the building. Lowell still in the building. Those two names are massive, especially considering you lost Al Harris to the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 4: How do we anti clap? Do we poo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a pain him fossil for for me, those.
Speaker 4: Are But congratulate him on the upgrade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Harris goes up there. He's defensive passing game coordinator and you see it. And I spoke with Al and it is obviously not just to move up in title, but he'll have a little bit more responsibility than even with the title dictates. But keep in mind he wasn't able to technically coordinate cord anything here in Dallas, So now he gets to do that there, which gives him the step towards defensive, which then gives him the step to becoming a head coach. So shouts out to l Harris go up there and kick some buns. Assistant wide receivers coach were still looking for the primary wide receivers coach lost Robert Prince to the Miami Dolphins. No names have been floated yet, but every day that passes along, new you know, positional coaches come into the fold. Hell, just yesterday we had some more so, but we do have a reported interview Taekwan Underwood, formerly of the New England Patriots, as the assistant white receivers coach. We'll see if that lands, but the expectation is that it will keep an eye.
Speaker 5: On that best hair and coaching staff. Yeah, you would easily win the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we be.
Speaker 8: So how can you hire an assistant before having before.
Speaker 1: Having lists unless you know who's going to who's going to be and we just don't know yet we uh huh.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 1: As we talked about on the show before when people were arguing front runners, how do you know what.
Speaker 4: Is the front runner?
Speaker 7: Because the super coach would be the one who would most likely most likely who's working alongside him. Right, Sometimes I would imagine, yea, if I'm gonna be working.
Speaker 5: Unless you're I don't know, offensive coordinator has a really good grasp on what he wants to do. Fair No, I'm not here to judge.
Speaker 4: That would be kind of a weird.
Speaker 3: Like you're an assistant, but we know where you're not ready to be an actual.
Speaker 1: Wide receivers coach.
Speaker 7: So here's the I would think that their main receiver coach would have a say in who's going to be his assistant.
Speaker 1: It's possible that.
Speaker 5: We got Willbi play man.
Speaker 4: What are you worried about.
Speaker 5: What are you worried about?
Speaker 1: You got what you wanted possible. They already know, all right, So we're waiting for wide receivers coach to running backs coach to land No, we got running backs coach. So running backs coach planned it yesterday. As matter of fact. Derek Foster a right, Derek Foster, formerly of the New Orleans Saints. Also his tenure extended back to Los Angeles Chargers with the peak Austin Eckler days. So you basically see what he's going to bring to the table. He likes running backs who can also do damage as receivers out of the backfield. Alvin Kamara, Austin Eckler, Do we have one of those right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's on the roster.
Speaker 1: I know where your face is going.
Speaker 4: So there's that guy that's on the roster. Guy that were a dues in college. So my old my old teammate wasn't willing to take a pay cut.
Speaker 8: I'm not mad at Not only was.
Speaker 1: He not willing to take a pay cut, they threw him a bag.
Speaker 4: Well he's making a back.
Speaker 1: Well he was making a bag. You talk about the sharp yes, so he was making a bag and reports are that they the bag an eight hundred thousand dollars rais a year. So not only college, they more than doubled his salary to stay.
Speaker 5: It just threw money at the problem.
Speaker 4: Samples in Oregon also got a raise seven hundred. Yeah, so I'm sorry, what was it?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a position coach college.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's making m yeah one point five yeah, one point five.
Speaker 3: Well no, no, no, I think it's too eight hundred. I think salary is church church choice, choice, our choice.
Speaker 4: That's not true.
Speaker 1: What what's not true? What's the number?
Speaker 4: It's over nine, it's over nice.
Speaker 1: So he still got the pay raise he did, So that's my point. Not only did he not take a packup, but he gott raised on a bigger bag to stay.
Speaker 4: So he got an eight hundred thousand dollars raise.
Speaker 8: No ready making, he was ready making.
Speaker 1: He's already making seven, he's making more.
Speaker 4: He's making now I am and he has a bier shot. So yeah, changing my professional.
Speaker 10: You got to.
Speaker 1: I haven't done it yet.
Speaker 4: So about this, he doesn't have to recruit anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh and he doesn't have those in general now, in general at Texas, you don't have to recruit it's like how much.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, we'll give you this. You want to come in.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking n il nil stuff.
Speaker 4: Now, it's just like spoke like a true Baylor. Well so it was a little salty back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Derek Foster is budget, right, Derek Foster. Derrek Foster is not exactly consolation prize. So good stuff there waiting for quarterbacks coaching land that's vacant. Now flipping to the defensive side of the ball, that started to come together a lot more quickly because ebra flues got into the building before Clayton Adams got into the building. So defensive line Aaron Whitecott and from the Jets love it. The Jets tried everything to try to keep him in New York. Go and look at you know, New York Jets Nation, and you'll see that they were pissed that they lost Whitecott. And so you should be really thrilled that you have Whitecott, absolutely Whitecott on black history. Dave Ganzi. Ganzi is back in the bid and a lot of Cowboys fans don't know that Bragunzi actually had a short stay with the Cowboys as an assistant. Yeah, he did a year. Yeah about about a season. He did double duty. He was assistant for both the offense and the defense, so that kind of helped launch his coaching career. So he's back. He spent time with iber Flus in Chicago as well as did defensive pass game coordinator Andrew I'm sir, Andre Curtis. He'll be in the building more or less working with David Overstreet, who is the cornerbacks coach. But look at Curtis and Overstreet. It's kind of like a two for to fill with Al Harris, which you lose with Al Harris. Right. Harris was defensive backs coach but also assistant head coach, so you're getting double duties there, But you know you still have other vacancies assistant offensive line, primary offensive line. We know that Clayton Adams is going to have a heavy hand in the offensive line coaching, but it sounds like, as we have this conversation, the Cowboys still want technically an offensive line coach, someone designated that as well, waiting for that to Lamb, waiting for assistant defensive line to Lamb.
Speaker 5: And you hear a lot of names floating around for that position in particular. I don't think that there's anything that's nothing.
Speaker 1: That's nailed down. But again, if you're following how now, boys, hiring has has been going since Schottenheimer was named. I mean every other day, sometimes multiple days in a row, a new hiring is landing. Two three, new interviews.
Speaker 4: Trying to knock it all out.
Speaker 1: They're really trying to knock it out. So still some vacancies. We know the strength and conditioning team is going to stay in the building. Shouts out to Harold Nash, Kendall Smith, Cedric Smith, very well deserved Brown Well.
Speaker 5: That one's confirmed confirmed drinking conditions.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, so vacancies are being filled quickly. One, two, three, four of us got about six or seven maybe eight, not counting the quality control guys. But I suspect what are we talking Tuesday? I suspend talking quality control. Yeah, I suspect by Monday, I'm going to put in your resume real quick.
Speaker 4: I'm going to put I.
Speaker 1: Predict by the end of this week most of the staff will be finalized. Okay, I'm pulling an Isaiah.
Speaker 3: How do we feel at it right now? Let's just start from a general standpoint. Yes, defensive side of the ball. Matti, you've reflus is your head coach. Excuse me, your defensive coordinator. Of course, he was the head coach in Chicago prior, but was also the linebackers coach in Dallas from twenty eleven to twenty seventeen. He's been around the building, returns to the building at a higher clip than what he had initially when he was here in Dallas.
Speaker 4: I thought, at least out of the two guys that I really.
Speaker 3: Wanted Robert Sala or Matti eb Refluse, this is a win for Dallas on the defensive side.
Speaker 11: Of the ball.
Speaker 3: It's going to be hard to keep them, at least the expectations straight because of what you've had from Dan Quinn, what you had last year as a turnaround from Mike Zimmer from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. I'm interested to see what the expectations are. But Josh, what do you think about the h.
Speaker 5: That's going to be tough on the players regardless because you have the third year in a row of defensive coordinator engines. Yeah, I think that's tough just to begin with, it happened from.
Speaker 4: Twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, and twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, actually, happens. It happens. But my thing here is it was Tommy that kind of like quelled my concerns at that point exactly. Well, he was talking about, you know, he's not a great head coach candidate. He really wasn't, And especially at the Bears, you saw that time management was an issue and basically everything outside of the defense was an issue for Matt Eberfluss. When I saw that name flying around just before it was reported, I was like, all right, that sounds like a good thing. My thing is like, are the players going to be able to connect and relate and buy in to yet another defensive scheme? To me, outside looking in, it seems like the right choice to make because you know, you probably don't bring Mike Zimmer back because he wants to retire so reportedly supposedly, So either way, you're gonna have a tough decision to make. I think at least with this and at least with this one, you have a defensive coordinator that is coaching well on defense intoday's football league. That to me is most telling about this Higher? Is it my favorite higher of the bunch?
Speaker 4: I don't know what is your.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, I know I don't want to.
Speaker 4: It's a Jerry Maddalone special. Yes, ask the follow up. You let it out there.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Defensive line coach Aaron White Cotton, what event for DC?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I mean sorry, you mean candidate for d C. I mean of the higher so far so far running backs coach would.
Speaker 1: Be up there. Actually, Derrick Foster.
Speaker 4: You like Foster? I like Foster. Okay, we'll get it more into that in a minute. What do you think about the flues Higer Isaiah?
Speaker 8: It makes sense.
Speaker 4: You weren't super high on Zim last year when that happened.
Speaker 10: I was not.
Speaker 4: I'm getting a similar feel here.
Speaker 7: I abra Flus has had successful defenses, so I don't. I mean, obviously I had my comments in regards to I think last time we went on about head coach, I didn't feel that he had the presence of a head coach, But in terms of a coordinator, that'sked something completely different. I have concerns about I guess just my own concerns, but my questions revolving around the staff are just what is it going to be? The culture, It's going to be the energy? Those things matter to me when it comes to building a team, and I don't know. I mean, there's so much. I don't have a lot to say. I hate to say that because I just don't know. I really don't. I don't know how many people really feel like they do know right now what's going to be. I think it's kind of a wait and see type of deal. I think to see how Schottenheimer is going to what he's going to try to instill what what is going to be the reflection of the team, you know, when they take the practice field, when they take the actual games, Like what what energy are you expecting from this team? Is it a what do you fear about this team? Is it a preparation?
Speaker 9: Is it there?
Speaker 8: Is it their relentlessness?
Speaker 12: Is it there?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 8: Their big playability? Like what is the identity of these this team? And we just don't know.
Speaker 7: We do know that he's capable of calling plays offense. We do know that Eberflus is capable of putting together a solid defenses. So I mean, you know, I think that the biggest higher I haven't learned on the names yet, so I apologize. But the office a line coach, I think that's major to.
Speaker 5: Me though, A difference between Mike Zimmer last year and the higher Last year, Mike Zimmer was taking over a defense that was already solidifies. I think at this point this year you have some room to grow and to kind of change your personnel on defense. I mean, you're going to have to anyways, because you're going to lose some guys. There's agents, There's no doubt about that. So at least Ibraflus has a better shot at it because he can actually create the defense that he wants to having to just basically use somebody else's defense, which is what Mike Zimmer was testing.
Speaker 3: And remember Zimmer said that at the end, he said, one of my biggest regret regrets was not having my stamp on it early and trying to mold myself to what was happening. He said, if I would have started doing what I wanted to do earlier, then it might have been a different outcome. Who knows, it may not have been, it may have been a similar outcome, and whatever.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, the proofs in the pudding that the defense at the end of the year was better than they were at the beginning.
Speaker 1: I love the return of ebra Flus. He was he was second on my list. I wanted Robert Seller as defensive coordinator. That was a long shot, but it was a shot. And credit to them, they took their shot. They brought him in, they had to sit down with them. I'm giving an interview, was our first interview, right, and yes that was for a head coach position, but I was I'm told that they also discussed DC as well. So they shot their shot. Forty nine Ers came in with the you know, familiarity. I was like in the bag.
Speaker 4: I was like, hey, not only do you non head coach in the NFL.
Speaker 1: So he did what he needed to do. I'm not mad at that. So circling back and getting eber Flus for me, it gives you a fantastic balance of two things. One, you have just enough familiarity, right, so just enough because quite as it's kept. Like Malie Cooker, for example, Melik Hooker played on the eber Flus and with the Indianapolis coach and he played well on the eba Flu, So he's going to be able to help some of these guys who haven't played on the ebra Flus kind of acclimate to that. If the Cowboys can keep Jordan Lewis. For example, I reached out to Jeordian because Jordan played under Eva Flus as the past game coordinator. I learned some things linebackers coach, but mostly past game coordinator. So this is what Jordan Lewis told me, and check out the article on the dot com as well. I asked him to describe Ebra Flus's vision culture as a defensive potential defensive coordinator. He said, and I quote vision defense. That's going to be that's going to uh run to the ball and tackle hard.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I asked him, I said so, he said, in the front four are going to attack. Then I asked him, you know, straight up, how how would you feel about playing under Evil Flus again? And he said, I love it. So as far as free agency goes, this might be one. Jordan Lewis, Yeah, hey, this is done. But this is why it's it's key to get the right guy in here. Four attack, front four attack in a vision defense, se ball, get ball.
Speaker 4: The number is kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: Four get ball, not front three. Are going to know front four, front four that's for to be dominant. Yeah, what you need is a dominant three attack is.
Speaker 8: What you need. You need another dominant end.
Speaker 4: And there's a lot of things we got commercials and stuff that you got to get to.
Speaker 3: In seven years as a defensive play caller, eba Flus's defense ranked in the top half of the league five times and we're in the top ten and take away six of those seven seasons.
Speaker 4: Remember what was the predication of dan Quinn's defense? Takeaway for sure.
Speaker 1: You know it's also beautiful about eber Flu's coming back is he's not simply coming back as someone who only coordinated a defense or pass defense, or only coordinated an entire defense. His specialty is what linebackers specialty is linebackers. So you're getting this guy.
Speaker 4: We've got a bunch of those on Foster right, No, but you're.
Speaker 1: Getting this guy to get his hands on Mars Leafoul who showed that his trajectory is due North Solid, who when overshown comes back, showed he has all pro potential when he can be on the field. If you can get Eric Kendricks to return to kind of stabilize that attack it again in the just some consistency too, but just knowing that Jordy Lewis is saying, Okay, this is a front four going to attack, and then you have a guy who specializes in linebackers, so that front seven should be quite nasty. And being that he also coordinated the pass defense, he has the ability to get the secondary in the right positions. And now his secondary is led by a former first round pick who played for him, and it's still playing mostly at a high level in Molie Cooker. But I love it. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to take away from any of the callers. Remember, give us a call eight to eight eighty five five two two ninety seven. We're about to go to our first break. But I want Pat, I want you to give me your answer. Who was the favorite higher so far out of the.
Speaker 1: Coach Oh favor, I'm going to go with Flues.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a good one. I'm going Clayton Adams And that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited about Clayton Adams. No big reason for that.
Speaker 3: Scheme wise, he was probably out of all the position coaches that were thought to be Yeah, he was an offensive line coach in Arizona.
Speaker 8: Ye like him.
Speaker 3: Out of all the position coaches that were thought to be coordinator candidates in the NFL, Adams was right at the top, like his energy. So they went and got they went and got a guy. I'm excited about it.
Speaker 4: And did you see how angry Arizona was. The entire fan base was like, what the heck? Yeah, yeah, shouldn't let him. That's an indication position coach with white car Yes it man, So lots to unpack there.
Speaker 3: We might go more in depth next week, or maybe if a caller asks about it on Adams and the offensive side of the football.
Speaker 4: But when we come back, give us a call. Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 3: That's about time we talked to Cowboys Nation about what's happening with this coaching staff.
Speaker 4: Dillus right after this.
Speaker 8: If you're looking for.
Speaker 3: Fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 13: Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 12: But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G.
Speaker 13: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G.
Speaker 12: Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 3: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at get Jack Black dot slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 14: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you are one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 12: To the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. We have a new setup in terms of the boxes that were in my hand goes straight into Josh's box, but it's right here.
Speaker 4: A little up the top top and bottom.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's you're ridiculous. Buy your oad's on the internet using.
Speaker 5: The what Josh Quake art code at the left hand corner. Golly, that's not even I'm going somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah whatever, Oh man, that's unbelieve I'm pulling that.
Speaker 8: Really, don't pull that, buddy.
Speaker 4: For evidence. Save us everybody eight a eight eighty five by nine seven. That's why the YouTube comments wow eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 8: That's why we kick off your morning.
Speaker 4: We're talking cowboys. Get that black rifle coffee? All right, Nebby, you're on talking jim boys. What's going on?
Speaker 8: Nebby? Noseball?
Speaker 10: Uh uh hi, guys, how are you? Thank you so much for taking my call. First of all, I want to start off by making a Super Bowl prediction. I think the Chiefs are going to be become the first team during the Super Bowl era to win three to win three champion ships in a row. And I believe the Chiefs are going to win thirty four thirty thirty fourth, thirty one. And second, I just want to make it abundantly clear that I am ecstatic that Will McClay signed a five year contract extension and uh last, but not least, do you think Brian Schottenheimer might be taking on too much considering that he's gonna I'll call plays, uh, considering that this is his first chance to become an This is his first chance at being a head coach in the National Football League. Take care, thanks for being thanks for being patient with me, and have a great week.
Speaker 3: By great stuff, Nevy. As always, I want to talk about that last point too much. From Brian Schottenheimer's standpoint, it is his first shot to be a head coach, and everybody knows that by now. It's a pretty common theme around the criticism of hiring Schottenheimer, and even I thought the Jones family addressed that pretty well during the press conference. If you are given a one shot, at one opportunity to come in and snag a coaching job in monsteraghetti man I was I was trying not to quote it, but I almost did all the way through eight mile. So but when you bring it, when you bring in Schottenheimer and he's your head coach, wouldn't you want to do it on your terms? And if you feel confident enough to call plays, give it a shot. That's an easy fix in my opinion, Absolutely you go in and let's say things don't go well.
Speaker 4: God forbid.
Speaker 3: Something just doesn't click in the play calling aspect, The offense just doesn't look right. Things aren't really working out in your favor. That's an easy fix to say, you know what, I understand.
Speaker 4: I tried it. I did what I could.
Speaker 3: It's my first time as a head coach. Let's pass this on and let's give it to Clayton Adams or whoever the offensive coordinator is at that time, and let's move it on down the line and let's see who else can call plays.
Speaker 4: I think that's an easy selection.
Speaker 3: Why not try it early, because if you're given one shot to be a head coach in the National Football League, as Nebe just outlined a moment ago, I think I would want to do it on my own terms, especially if I was already expecting to call plays somewhere else in the NFL.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you, first and foremost, let's try it my way, and then if it doesn't work my way, you just got to trust that that coach has the willingness to be accountable and saying, you know what, try it my way didn't work, Let's try it your way and That's why it's it's key. That's why I love that you said Clayton Adams is your favorite of the highers is because if they have to throw those keys to the offensive coordinator the call plays. I love that it's Clayton Adams that they'd be throwing the keys too.
Speaker 5: He's like, yeah, this time, I'm going to stand up a shout. This time it's my way, my way or the highway.
Speaker 4: Honestly, we're just quote musical.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 5: I mean, come on, man, I think at this point it's a modern NFL. He has to have a say in the play calling at this point. We've been dealing with it for a while now, and we saw how that turned out. Granted it wasn't a great experiment on our part, but a lot of other teams do it. Give him a shot, dude, I want a shoty.
Speaker 1: What the lip biting was about, That's what I want to see. So keep in mind. During the press conference, Jerry Jones said something that stuck out. He said that there were times where Brian Schottenheimer was biting his lip because under the under McCarthy's play calling, because he didn't necessarily agree with whatever was happening at the time. So I want to see what that manifests.
Speaker 8: I want to know when mister Jones knew about that mm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was it interview or in the time period.
Speaker 1: But I want to see what the lip bite is about. So that means, and I mean that to say, show me what it was that McCarthy was doing that Schottenheimer didn't agree with by the way of showing me what you would prefer to do in certain situations. So yeah, let's go.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think him listening to Usher definitely was sure in this house is my way.
Speaker 4: I think that's the way. That's the way to do it.
Speaker 7: I I do have one thing I wanted to get you guys take on this before we get to the next caller. What's y'all thoughts on the comments. I know you can look into comments way too much of course these things, but at that press conference, you know, he emphasized the amount of time that him and Dak were going to be spending together now that he's the head coach and no longer the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: It felt like there were limitations placed. Yeah, So it was funny.
Speaker 3: Patrick and I were texting yesterday, not about football, not about wrestling, not about anything talking about NASCAR. Right, talking about NASCAR, it's almost a Daytona five hundred. We're in the middle of February. You know what they do with Daytona Because things are going a little too fast around there, They put a thing on the car called a restrictor plate, and you restrict how fast in the airflow of the car and goes to keep everybody safe around you. For some reason whenever that was in the thought process. And I know not every one of our listeners knows exactly what a restrictor plate is or what NASCAR even is at times. However, when I thought about it, I was like, that felt like there was a restriction placed on who could talk to who and where it could talk to anybody.
Speaker 4: I think all of that is gone.
Speaker 3: I think you've taken the restricted play off because in terms of the same kind of breath that happened in that press conference when they were talking about how much time they're going to spend together, there was a lot of emphasis on communication and relationships and people building and leadership build thing. And I don't know if that's always been the case in the past. There's a lot of x's and o's, there's a lot of business. I feel like now there's more of an emphasis on let's try and build something together as opposed to try and make these puzzle pieces fit together.
Speaker 5: Well, the inevitable question. You called it the restrict plate, right, Yeah, should that have been on in the first place for a quarterback that you've had for you know, seven season as an offensive coordinator, as an offensive coordinator as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's why that stick out. That's what was weird about.
Speaker 5: That's kind of the root of the problem, I think, and at least.
Speaker 4: Rooted.
Speaker 5: I who knows, maybe that wasn't the right decision maybe or maybe it was the right decision at the time.
Speaker 3: But disclaimer, we do not dislike Mike McCarthy on this show. I just want to let it were all very we were all.
Speaker 8: That was the one statement in the press conference that made me go.
Speaker 5: It just didn't for me pull Tim Allen.
Speaker 8: But yeah, yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 7: Sit right with me because I'm like, as an officeer coordinator, even though you weren't recalling plays, I would assume that your number one responsibility will see as your number one player responsibility is your quarterback always, So if you weren't spending that time period in that role.
Speaker 8: With your quarterback. Why now would you have time to spend that much.
Speaker 1: Time or I don't think it was left in your time. I think when you have so many other people to be responsible for. Really, I really think it was it ties back. And then I keep my gut keep circling back to that comment about lip Biden. I think it was a situation where there was a difference in philosophy between McCarthy and Schottenheimer. And McCarthy and he was well within his rights to do so as head coach and play caller said, I don't want any potential miscommunication between what DAK is expected, what I'm expecting to see from DAK philosophy wise, versus what you know Schottenheimer might be telling DAK, and not that Schottenheimer would have been trying to undermine, but it's just if it was just basic conversations and meetings or whatnot, Shottenheimer might say A whereas McCarthy is teaching B and that's kind of in the middle of Okay, which do I go with here? And McCarthy being an old school ball coach in the head coach, he probably was like, I want one message, Yeah, one message and one message only, and if you're not preaching that message, then don't talk to my quarterback. But Chldheimer is much more of a right Yeah, yeah it is. But Schattenheimer does feel much more of that new age head coach collective. This everybody get on the same page. Let's get everybody's ideas on the table, let's come to an agree on agreements on what that should look like, and then let's communicate that message versus this is my message. Get on board, which I feel like that was one of the reasons. And I did love Zimmer on the back end because he turned the defense around, but I think that was one of the disconnects with Zimmer and the pre existing coaching staff that he came in to coach his assistance.
Speaker 3: That's one of the reasons why you hired McCarthy in the first place, because he had a culture, He had a mentality and a system and what he wants.
Speaker 1: And see, shot Heimer doesn't have a hit. He can culture, so he's wide open as far as Okay, my culture is a collective. Yeah, this, get everybody's ideas and let's establish it. Whereas Mike Zimmer, Mike McCarthy was like, hey, I know what I'm doing. This is what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is different, It is a different miss Uh. Let's take our second break when we come back. We got a couple of callers. We're going to try and get the both of them when we come back. Right after this, with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 13: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 12: But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G.
Speaker 13: It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G.
Speaker 12: Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires can Paba plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. He add dot Com Slash five G for you fifty deals. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of on deer equipment built to tackle anti challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Dear Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and.
Speaker 8: Sports turf equipment.
Speaker 11: United Agon Turf, the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America Mobile Banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very Digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance, Message data, raise, and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 12: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Glad you're with us here on Talking, presented by a black coffee company, the official copy of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good. Thanks. Let's go to Justin Why not? Let's go to Jim Inbassadeen in California. Jim, You're on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Good morning, guys, how are you? I'm okay?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 4: No, seal on.
Speaker 9: Thank you because you were an ox start in the summer and you took time to take a picture with myself and my daughter, so we'll never forget that. I love very much.
Speaker 5: For all three dollars.
Speaker 4: Value such a The only bid was your mom, That's what it was.
Speaker 1: Did get his love off science? Baby, go for it, Jim.
Speaker 9: All Right, I'm going to say something that's not going to be popular. Okay, all right, I don't understand why we value Will McLay so much. Let me just play hold on, hold on twenty three, Hold on the twenty three the first and second round were bus and twenty two the second and third round.
Speaker 8: Not so good.
Speaker 9: In twenty one we might as well have said we didn't have a draft besides Parsons, and in nineteen our highest pick was a bus. I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing the value there. Guys, help me out.
Speaker 5: Well, you just said besides Parsons.
Speaker 9: I think the goal you're the draft one guy.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man. I think there's a lot of ro bowlers on the roster because.
Speaker 5: Of m Tyler Smith. You gotta take into account. I think there are a lot of players that you're kind of moving the tras. But doron Bland, but I agree with you that there are guys that he's missed on for or that the organization is missed on.
Speaker 4: It's the NFL draft in general exactly.
Speaker 8: Everyone's not gonna be a hit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think the way you started that too when you said twenty three and twenty four, I've been as critical as anybody whenever it comes to the twenty three and twenty four class, and I'm still on that bandwagon. Outside of your third round picks that just both happen to be linebackers, I'm not impressed so far. Mayris leaf ou Dubarian overshown from twenty four to twenty three, respectively.
Speaker 4: Those are draft classes that have not hit yet. But the key word is yet. They're still on your roster for the most part.
Speaker 3: So we've seen some good things out of Schoonmaker, We've seen some good things out of Monzie Smith. It depends on how they're able to get out of that right now.
Speaker 4: No, they haven't lived up to the expectation. Are they going to?
Speaker 3: Time will tell, But right now I think it's it's tough to call both of them a draft bus across the way where I think twenty nineteen you could say that's a busted draft. Twenty twenty was one of the best drafts you've had in a long time. When you had Ceedee Lamb Trayvon Diggs. Yeah, Tyler Biattish, you had, you had a number of guys there.
Speaker 12: With that that made a huge impact five years ago.
Speaker 3: It was five years ago, but you you've hit in twenty two, got Tyler Smith up fromt You've got twenty three.
Speaker 4: It happens along the way.
Speaker 7: But there's a there's a partnership here though. Understand this from upper management right in the scouting department. Their role is to identify talent and bring talent into building. Correct, what what what exchange happens from that point, Who's who's been now responsible?
Speaker 8: There's a thing called coaching.
Speaker 7: There's a thing called coaching, right, So you can't just put all the responsibility on the scouting department.
Speaker 8: They are able to identify needs.
Speaker 7: Of your team, positional needs, and they are able to fill those needs with talented players. Now, once that exchange happens, they're now drafted. Their job is now done with those guys, right, they turn to guys that are now on other rosters, They turn to guys that are in other leagues. It's to coaches now their job to develop. Which is a conversation that we have had on this show many times in terms of the responsibility of position coaches and why there needs to be more of an emphasis place on position coaches, which is why we're excited about position coaches that are coming upon this roster, because we understand how influential they are to the development of players.
Speaker 8: Just because become a professional.
Speaker 7: Athlete does not stop your development in terms of growing and getting better. You come in as a collegiate player, you develop into a professional athlete, so you have to get handed off to a coach who's capable of developing you, which is why Linda Wells is huge.
Speaker 9: Let me let me, let me make this point by my observation, go for it and then coming in hot Kneelan and BB from this year, if you look at him when they lose, they're losing with great efforts. They play like they want to be there, where Maisie Smith and Schoonmaker there are times they play like they don't want any part of it. And I think there's a big difference between that. Sure, it gives me hope for it gives me hope for the top three and twenty four, and it doesn't give me hope for Smith and Scootmakers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me say this, Jim Number one. What Isaiah said stands out fantastically because it's it's a two part equation. The scouts are tasked with finding the best talent with the highest ceiling. Once they do so, they get handed off to the coach. Now, this is why you see situations annually around the league where a player leaves a respective team and they go and they thrive, right as you know how that feels, right, you know how that feels. So that goes to say that sometimes it's fit, it's scheme, it's coaching, whatever the case may be. But once the scout identifies the high level talent, that their job is done. So and I agree, and I said this on Twitter. Is Will McLay perfect, absolutely not, but batting average, His batting average is sensational. So for every Taco Charleton, right, you'll get Ezekiel here for taco. Yeah, I mean, taco, Taco is the thing. Right, We're not gonna pretend Taco's not a thing. We're not going to pretend that Christmas.
Speaker 9: No, No, I didn't know McLay was here during Taco years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, so let me remind you. McLay came in twenty twenty eleven, so that means Tyron Smith Is McLay Era, Zach Martin, Travis, Frederick DeMarco, Murray, DeMarcus, Lawrence Zeke, Dak Prescott and Lewis, Tony Potter, Chauncey Ghost and Osa Micah cd Trayvon Deron Blam.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm not a Golson fan, but Okay, Chauncey saved.
Speaker 3: That was a byproduct of a lot of bad coaching decisions. For you, you would be looking on he did as an edge Dross Lord Iowa.
Speaker 1: You would be a Chauncy Ghoston fan if the coaching, to Isaiah's point, had put him on edge and kept him on the edge prior to breaking glass in case of emergency. Last season, so you saw Chauncey Ghost come out and have.
Speaker 8: A courier season.
Speaker 9: I disagree with you on Patrick. I think Chauncey is a defensive ends body that should be playing the defensive tackle, but he didn't have the body for it. I don't think he can redirect like the defensive endings.
Speaker 1: Well, let me let me ask you this, and I love do you think Miles Gart Michael d I was gonna say, do you think that Miles Garrett and Michael Parsons possessed the same abilities as d n.
Speaker 9: The same abilities. I think Miles Garrett has a little more power.
Speaker 7: They're completely different events, completely different characters like Miles and t J.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two different. Here's what I asked, do you think Tyron Crawford was a five or three? Do you think he was?
Speaker 9: I think I think he was a with a high motor and a competitive attitude.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, so we'll agree on that. I think Chauncey Ghosting, I'm not saying Ghosting is a world beater. I'm saying that he could have been an impact player well before he was, which goes to the coaching aspect. But then if you fast forward, yeah, you have like the Tristan Hills of the world. You want to forget that. You want to forget to right right, You want to forget that, you want to forget that everybody has right. But you coming forward because I know people say, oh, Tyrone was more than a decade ago. Fine, like you said, though, Cooper b B. Mary Sleep to Marveon over shown as a Will McLay.
Speaker 7: Let me ask this question, who's our interior d Lineman we got rid of that was playing in the playoffs, just recently Ridgeway or Ridgeway, No, Phillips, you're talking about Rogers interior.
Speaker 4: No, No, Rogers is with us, you're talking about we're talking about Uh, he got.
Speaker 8: A couple of years ago Gallimore Gallimore Galley. Yeah, ally was coaching.
Speaker 1: Huge, Yeah, huge, huge contribution impacted. So so you're not going to hit on everything.
Speaker 4: So we agree with that, Jim, I want to ask you one more question out of the NFC. Let's just keep it to the NFC.
Speaker 3: Who were the best draft classing or best drafting teams.
Speaker 4: In the NFC right now? Who would you put up there at the top.
Speaker 9: I think Philly had a phenomenon.
Speaker 3: Philly is a great point and I think they'll continue to grow into it. Let me add this, since twenty twenty, that was that was the draft. That was the draft you just mentioned twenty twenty and it was five years ago, right. Since twenty twenty, the Cowboys have had different players named to fifteen total Pro Bowls. Since twenty twenty, the Philadelphia Eagles, out of their draft class, has only had nine.
Speaker 9: So let's continue to look at vote by the fans.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, and then the All pros I think would line up to it as well, I didn't count all pros.
Speaker 1: But also here's some edit context for you, Jim. Look at what Kyle is saying, and now I'll can see too Pro Bowl having a third fan of one hundred percent Tury, but all pros are also an underwoman.
Speaker 4: I don't think this is right. This is no all pros for Philly at all since twenty I don't think.
Speaker 1: But let me let me add this. How many staff changes under Will McClay. Have you seen head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, position coaches consistent and still the talent is coming in?
Speaker 4: Do you see what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: So again, we're not We're not forgiving the Taco Charletons and the Tristan your pick.
Speaker 8: We're not players based upon what those coaching staffs want.
Speaker 1: But what we're saying is from a consistency standpoint, and as far as batting average goes and on base percentage goals for my for my baseball fans, and slugging percentage goals, Will McClay is arguably the best.
Speaker 8: Put it like this.
Speaker 7: Will Will McClay would have been the hottest free agent in football had he been out on the streets.
Speaker 5: He not line he let me leave you with this, I respect, I respect your opinion. Ultimately, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Alright better in the second round in the last six years, we wouldn't be complaining about spending.
Speaker 3: I agree, we do agree, and we've talked about that for no doubt. Jim, thank you for the call. We appreciate the conversation. Really was a good yeah, a dialogue. I love it because there that's the thing is a lot of people probably aren't arm bull, aren't on board all the time with our opinions and what we're come to be exactly, however, will McLay that needs to be talked about. I like him what he's like you, Jim, thanks for the call. Nebby, thanks for the call.
Speaker 4: We got to get out of here.
Speaker 3: We got the Draft Show coming up at eleven o'clock Central Time on the Draft Show YouTube and Draft Show Twitter or Cowboys YouTube, Draft Show Twitter, so on and so forth.
Speaker 4: Be short to subscribe because now we're going.
Speaker 16: Live on YouTube every single episode, like we got to do our feet there. There you go, all right for Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodrick and Isaiah's stand back for Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yomen, saying so long from Falking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: We will see you next week.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.