Speaker 1: And That's what You Really Missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what You Really miss podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello Kevin, Hello Jenny.
Speaker 1: This is episode A, season six, episode seven, transitioning. Can you tell I'm like, not okay right now?
Speaker 2: You just did this.
Speaker 1: This aired February thirteenth, twenty fifteen, and we are here. We are halfway through season six, and my brain's not working. So forgive me if I'm mixing and matching words and letters and numbers today.
Speaker 2: That generally is how you form a sentence by mixing and matching words.
Speaker 1: Jenna said, letters and numbers too, Oh, letters, that numbers. This episode is transitioning, and let's get through the news. We can talk about this episode in the news. Number one song uptown Funk. No surprise here.
Speaker 2: The number one movie is fifty Shades of Gray.
Speaker 1: WHOA. Do you remember the phenomenon of these books?
Speaker 2: Yes, I went to the premiere of this.
Speaker 1: I feel like I saw this.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I read the books.
Speaker 1: I read the books.
Speaker 2: Oh, you read the books.
Speaker 1: I read the books.
Speaker 2: Did you like them?
Speaker 1: I love them? I thought the phenomenon was the books like and yeah, the movies were fine, but like the books were excellent, titillating, literally really crazy. They were just like it was a new form.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it started a whole news.
Speaker 1: Transitioned like well transition. Oh ok there was like a transition of like what was appropriate raising the bar in some ways. I don't know, Okay, anyway, this is not a shades of great podcasts. I have more questions about it though, Okay, I don't know that I have answers.
Speaker 2: They're probably not inappropriate to ask.
Speaker 1: Also, based on Twilight fan fiction, which makes so much sense. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: You didn't know that. Nope, Nope, that's fine. That means you're healthy and not on the internet as much as I am.
Speaker 1: Gray, right, that was yeah, all right, I glean used speaks. On February ninth, Glee, the music Transitioning the EP was released. It featured six tracks from episode six, Season six, episode seven, So He Told You, and it was released for digital DOWNMO Told You.
Speaker 2: This episode Transitioning was directed by our executive producer Dante Di Loretto. He was also the head of Ryan Murphy TV at the time.
Speaker 1: Residente and This was written by Matthew Hodgson, our friend, Uh we got Jama back this episode.
Speaker 2: Thank God. Not enough, but at least we got some. Okay, let's talk about the music. Yeah, you give Love a bad Name performed by Vocal Adrenaline, Same Love.
Speaker 1: This was performer Unique and will God.
Speaker 2: All about that Bass performed by Mercedes Roderick and Alumni and New Directions.
Speaker 1: Oh this Somebody Loves You Buddy who performed with Blaming Kurt.
Speaker 2: Time after Time performed by Rachel and Sam and I Know Where.
Speaker 1: I've Been The song of the episode performed by Unique with the trans person schoir.
Speaker 2: So some fun facts. This is the first episode of season six in which the entire main cast appears.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is the first episode since Trio, a gap of sixteen episodes in which Jama appears.
Speaker 2: Too long. That's longer than the last season. I don't like it, agreed. This is the first time Alex appears since the show's moved to New.
Speaker 1: York, and this is also the first and last time Unique sings in season six, sadly making it the last time Unique sings in the series.
Speaker 2: No, I mean this is a way to go out, though. This is one my best numbers ever on the show. No, I know, No, No, The transgender choir in this episode has over two hundred members unbelievable.
Speaker 1: RuPaul's Drag Race Season fifteen winner Sasha Colby and RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Season six winner Kylie Sonique Love make an appearance in the episode as part of the transperson squair.
Speaker 2: Jenna, you don't know who they are, do you know? So there's a joke amongst drag queens and drag fans that Sasha Colby is the Beyonce of drag where she's your drag queen's favorite drag queen. She's she's just the best.
Speaker 1: Did you meet do you know?
Speaker 2: I have met Sasha Colby? And Sasha Colby is so kind, so sweet, so talented, so hot, Oh my god's and also liked.
Speaker 1: Sasha Colby just make her drag daughter Chapalan Now.
Speaker 2: Well that's sort of yeah, that's why Chapelane says that statement about herself, like I'm your favorite artist's favorite artist because of Sasha Colby.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay, I'm putting.
Speaker 2: Is so incredible, Like just the fact that they were both in this and it's I mean, this number, this number is already iconic, and I hate to use that word, but it actually it is is iconic legitimately, and these two are like two of the most famous trans people I think in the world and entertainment, and they're both so talented and they're so kind, and it's just I can't believe they graced us with their presence, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, this number just it goes it is. I don't know, it's beyond, it's just beyond. It's so good. The plan weekly lessons written on the board behind Curt and Rachel in the last scene are Britney three point zero, Murder Ballads The York and Biggie versus two.
Speaker 2: Oh thank god some of those. When Rachel and Sam are looking at photos in Rachel's room, you can spot a photo from her Funny Girl audition. It shows the original members of the New Directions, but in the actual scene, Rachel was just imagining them there with I love that. I love that, you too. I do really love that.
Speaker 1: It's really funny.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know if that was on purpose, regardless, I'm into it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the Fox publicity summary?
Speaker 2: Will takes desperate measures to teach the bullies vocal ajournaline about tolerance Meanwhile, New Directions rallies to help Rachel transition into her new life while she hold on this is crazy that this is the episode's summary. I'm sorry why we know what this episode's about, right? What happens in this episode and this is the summary? Yeah, Will takes desperate measures to teach the bullies of vocal a journaline about tolerance. Meanwhile, New Directions rallies to help Rachel transition into her new life when she finds out her childhood home has been sold. Nothing about Coach Beasts. Hmmm, I mean I get it in terms of I'm sure this they thought this was like the safe way to play it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, well it is the safe way to play it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like, come on, way to play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not saying it's the right way to play it, is the safe way to play it. Yeah, that's what we're doing here. Okay, Okay, Well let's let's let's wait for Coach Bees. Let's not let's leave her to say the best for last, because there's just lots to say about that. So there's a lot of transitioning happening in this episode, though, the different ways. Yes, so Rachel is now we found out that her gay dads were being getting divorced and so they were selling the house. And I'm not playing it. I'm not doing the safe out with Kevin.
Speaker 2: Why can't they just be dads?
Speaker 1: They can just be dads. But you know what, gay is better? You're right, their gay dads are being right? Is am I not supposed to say it that way?
Speaker 2: I'll stop being homophobic. No, it was me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it's better.
Speaker 2: Day is good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, gay is the way?
Speaker 2: Are you ever mad? You're not? Yes, like settling by being straight.
Speaker 1: I'm always settling, settling by being straight. Even my husband would say that, like we're settling by being straight because like I feel like all of our friends are gay, so like ultimately, like the gay.
Speaker 2: Is better, and even like Alessandra's she's a gay man.
Speaker 1: No, no, yeah, even more than I'd say more than me, which I like pains me to say.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, but there's a wide variety of gay men. You're both kids, great, we are both gay men anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, dads are getting divorced and they're selling their house, and she's having like a really hard time like coming to terms with like selling her childhood home. Which like I don't I don't know. I feel like for me, I would be like nostalgic about it, But I don't know that I would be like devastated like her. Do you would you?
Speaker 2: I think I would. I think when it's all you've known, especially when she's gone through so many challenges in the past like a year or so, for her character like to always have had that safety net, that home and her dad's I think it probably is really startling. Also, it's like that's where she and Finn fell in love, right and memory it is like all those memories with Finn and everything that like she probably she loved high school and I loved that experiences good and the bad, right.
Speaker 1: I think Also, like the smaller stakes in the show are actually like the bigger stakes are like make them bigger and that's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, way exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay. So then Sam and Kurt decide that they're going to help and they're gonna make uh, They're gonna throw like a going away party for her and her childhood home in the basement where we did blame it on the alcohol, which was really fun.
Speaker 2: And they also decide that the theme this week for Glee Club is transitioning. Mmmm, and this is one of those things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I mean, you guys, a big part of it is that you guys spend a lot of time in this episode in that basement. Did it feel familiar to do another thing in that basement like that whole episode we did? And you know, for blame it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was stoked to be back in that basement. But nothing but good memories in that basement. And this was also fun. The other thing going on is the Curtain Blaine of it all right, right, yes, and Curtain Blaine are still sort of you know, they kissed to get out of that elevator, but it meant nothing. It meant nothing, right, and so they're trying to be adult about it and like there aren't any feelings. We have moved on, we're healthy, you know, they both have boyfriends, like everything is fine. And so when this duet's idea comes up for transitioning, they're going to sing some duets A new person and an old person. Yeah, us being the old people. M hm.
Speaker 1: Ar.
Speaker 2: He has this wheel of musical fortune. Then everybody gets up to spin the wheel to see who they're going to do it with. And Kurt, you know, fudges it so he can sing with Blaine in the basement, which leads us, you know, which sets us up for the ensuing chaos and drama of the episode.
Speaker 1: The wheel is really funny.
Speaker 2: I love a prop.
Speaker 1: I love the wheel. I love that already came up with that. I also think it's so funny. That was it Sam, That was like, why can't you just pick these out of a hat? Right? And your look, you're the look on your face. But the wheel is really fun So love a wheel, Love the prop.
Speaker 2: It's also like, you know, anytime you get to do anything remotely different in that choir room is a gift. I also don't understand how Arty is still there, Like why aren't you at school?
Speaker 1: You just moved back and you didn't say anything about it.
Speaker 2: Like did he drop out? What happened?
Speaker 1: This is a weekend. I feel like if you asked ian a Brad, they'd be like, you took the train home for.
Speaker 2: The weekend, but it's not a weekend. They're in school, oh.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right right. But they'd be like, ten doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the real answer.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this party. What was it like to to film in this party?
Speaker 2: I think this is why I feel like I know the new kids so well.
Speaker 1: You spend time with them here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, when you're in that basement, it's a little comfy. Yeah, you don't really need to leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: On some of the other sets, you like go back to your trailer, the basement set really feels like a basement, and so everyone just sort of hangs out and we had to rehearse, so there's dance rehearsal, so there's just more time for everyone to be together, and there were just a lot of us. And also when you're forced to mix and dance with each other, you're just there gabin talking, getting to know each other. So I think this is a big reason why I felt closer to them.
Speaker 1: I hear that.
Speaker 2: It was also just a really great moment because we got to do our friend Betty whose song, and I really was very excited about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that song is so much fun. I love that their version. I think it's so cute.
Speaker 2: And it's perfect for their storyline and it's like, really they're playing with fire though, Like if this was real life and these two exes who are with other people and keep telling each other they're not in love with each other and then they sing a song called Somebody Loves You that went famous for a marriage proposal. Oh you step in in it, dirty ass dogs, like we know what is up?
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: And then the kiss, the kiss, something is happening to where I just believe them more as a couple.
Speaker 1: Now, I totally agree, I totally agree. I think it's because we've really been able to see the arc of them not being together and then somebody dating somebody else, even though like that kind of feels fake to me, like the Karofsky and Blaine of Vidal is like feels a little fit to me. But like seeing them not be able to be together, it's not so easy. It hasn't come like, oh they're together and they're just like a perfect couple, and they go through a little bit, it's like they're not together. We want them so badly to that. Like right now, watching like the ins and outs of like a relationship that isn't isn't fully in or out is so exciting because.
Speaker 2: It's also the test ye where yes, it's like, yeah, it's too easy for you guys just to get married already, right, Like can we not do that? Every couple on the show, that's what they talk like, So yeah, to give them some sort of obstacle like this is very rewarding to watch as a fan of the end of viewer and also like.
Speaker 1: The so they kiss, they do the number and they kiss and then.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Krooski basically guesses that something happened. Then he's something acting so suspicious.
Speaker 2: Blaine is acting like he just buried a body, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but they have such like a mature like I'll look on even though they lived together.
Speaker 2: Do you think Blaine was scared because Kowski has been violent in the past to Kurt physically violent. What do you mean, like, oh, do you think he was scared him? That's why he's acting so suspicious, because he's scared.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's scared.
Speaker 2: I don't either, But.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. No, I don't think so. I think it's just that I think they're good people, right, Like Blaine's a good person, and they they have good integrity and so they're not like going behind each other's backs, and just like outwardly, I think he has like a good conscience and like head on his shoulders that like he's he's feet feeling really guilty about it because he knows he did something that he's not supposed to do and that like it's gonna hurt somebody else. And so I think that's why.
Speaker 2: But you know what Blaine has done twice now cheated?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmmm. You're right. This is showing growth. Okay, this is showing real growth.
Speaker 2: That wow, he cheated twice and told them twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also like he's not just hiding it and going mind somebody's back, like cheating him multiple times, like it's been a one off experience that like Ben has like broken him down. Now, Yes, no, cheating is not okay. Now.
Speaker 2: I think we give Blaine a lot of credit because he seems like a sweet guy. But those lips are loose.
Speaker 1: I know. I I see what you're saying now, though that aside, you're right, you're not wrong, You're not wrong. I do. I do agree that I feel like this really gives us like a different like touch on their relationship and like viewpoint from their relationship of like really getting to see that it's not so it's not all sunshine and rainbows, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think also setting up like for Blaine having a mature breakup like that sets him up for a healthy yes next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, which is coming.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's finish them out because then Blaine goes, you know what we're done. I'm gonna go tell Kurt. For some reason, he goes to the school at night, after hours. I don't know why people are hanging out there, but Kurt is there with his man and comes out and Blaine looks shocked, and then Rachel and Sam come out. It's a funny scene.
Speaker 1: M hmm.
Speaker 2: There's some good comedy and there's some nice blocking. I thought Dante did a great job directing this episode. I did you.
Speaker 1: And it felt very cohesive.
Speaker 2: It did. Yeah, yeah, it just goes to.
Speaker 1: Show too, like with people who know our show, who this was I think his directorial debut, but like somebody who's been around our show for so long, like you just like click in and you like get it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it was also right for him to like Dante as a gay man. Yeah, it was very knowledgeable and wise and had great advice about these things. And for him to be directing an episode like this, yeah, yeah, the transitioning episode, and like he was crying as they were filming it like it was I'm getting ahead of myself. But so Blaine lies and it's like, oh, you know, I was here to tell Rachel something. Then Rachel comes up and then he's like, she's like, oh, you need to tell me something, Oh you know what, I actually don't. And then Kurt's like, we're going on a double date. Do you want to come with Krofski? And he just says no. And it's sad, but you know, a cheater can't always get what they want right away. Give it a couple of episodes. He always comes crawling back to you. Back so back at the Basement.
Speaker 1: At the Basement, I really liked.
Speaker 2: Seeing all the new kids mixed with the old kids, and they're all just so nice and talented. We get some crazy musical numbers. In addition to Somebody Loves You, we also get all about that Bass, which.
Speaker 1: Is a really fun number. And those two look, yeah you could they could sing the phone they read sing the phone book like whatever. Put have them saying happy Birthday to me over and over again. Put it on a I don't care like anything works. I would like to really see them like go like I want to see a song where they can go. But it was really fun and I like this little duo, Like they were really cute together.
Speaker 2: I needed eight more episodes of them just doing duets, yes, straight, like just that.
Speaker 1: Can we just have an album of duets?
Speaker 2: And then we have all these sweet scenes of Rachel in her bedroom and like looking at that, you know the one thing she can't pack up all her memories, the thing with Sam.
Speaker 1: Look, I I'm getting it now. The Q and Q and as we've done where you guys write in and you like, you know, hot takes where you say like Sam and Rachel are endgame, Like I really like this support that Sam is providing for Rachel. He's like a really good sounding board and they really balance each other out in a way. Now we see the Bookcord with everybody, or with Sam with every buddy, like even Sam and Mercedes we love too, but like this is a really good pairing right now. I'm really here.
Speaker 2: For it because Chord has chemistry with everybody. It's insane and and it's genuine. I'm not like trying to chalk it up to like, oh that's just Chord being like these characters really work together and they were also very very close friends, so I think that was also very helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. I think also like towards Yeah yeah, no, no, that's right.
Speaker 2: And they seen time after time together.
Speaker 1: What a funny number, funny song.
Speaker 2: So their voices couldn't be more different than one another.
Speaker 1: Is your way of saying their duets are not your favorite?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I uh, I still buy it, and they're different. I enjoy the chord and Amberg duets more. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, duets.
Speaker 1: Duets like not every not every voice is gonna match, like, not every duet is going to be perfect, do you know what I mean? Yeah, but yes, they do a very sweet time after time, and uh, it's just funny to like, I can't unsee blame it on the alcohol when you're do the same, cannot see it.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I don't really have many memories of shooting this, to be honest.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. Did it take more than one day? It had to. You had to be in that room for a couple of days.
Speaker 2: I think we're there for two days. I remember like going in there to rehearse. That's when Amber famously told me somebody said, oh, we should play a game. And then Amber was in a mood and said, I don't play a game. I'm a grown ass woman.
Speaker 1: Like that made it down the That made it down the pipeline at some point because I remember that and I wasn't there.
Speaker 2: It was so fun. I remember where I was.
Speaker 1: I feel scared if it was a newbie who said that. And she said that, and they were like okay.
Speaker 2: And it was to the room, you know, and I lost it because she was so serious and she was sitting in a chair you could tell like she was over it. I was sitting in the wheelchair on the other side of the room, and she goes, Oh, I don't play games. I'm a grown ass woman.
Speaker 1: You asked Cameron. Now you'd be like, you want to play Caitan, She'd be like yeah.
Speaker 2: Even then she played games. We played Mafia Regular, which I think is what I said, what are you talking about. I was like, no, I don't play games. I'm like okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So that concludes the basement.
Speaker 2: It was so worth it for I don't know how it got brought up, but she It's one of my favorite memories of her. Also, who thinks that just the thinking of like grown as people can't play games because they're adults.
Speaker 1: Well that's it. That is Actually it's like making jealous. It's ridiculous, all right. So we also have Will who is still at vocal adrenaline and he is of Jamis back. We've got Emma around, and he's kind of in this he's having a hard time between enjoying all of the perks that come with being and feeling like a man. I guess of like feeling he has nice things and feeling really set up in a way, and like I get yeah, I get that. I think there's like when you have kids and a family to look after, like sometimes sometimes in your life, and I think it's okay, Like there are times where security is important and it's a true priority, right, security and comfort. But on the other hand, what's the most important, and I agree, is like your kids absorb everything that you do on the day to day and like watching you do something that you love has to be the way, right, it has to be the way or they will see it and they they take in everything.
Speaker 2: So is that why you do this podcast? Because your kids can see you loving, loving, seeing me.
Speaker 1: Yes, working with Uncle Kevin. That's right. I can tell my kids that I worked with my best friend from two thousand and eight to twenty twenty five. We're done after this black where this episode is over. We're done after this episode.
Speaker 2: By the way, great never contact me again. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I know it's fine because it's true, though, like if you're not doing what you love, which we have, Like, I feel like everybody in this industry right now is on this like precipice of like trying to find the joy in this still and it's so hard and like having kids or whatever it is, or just living by your morals and integrity of like being like I want to do something that I love every day and wake up feeling excited about. Like Will is at that place he's in that it's on the precipice of something important. So I think I really appreciated that watching like the sounding board that Emma is for Will in this moment, and like him not being in it, comfortable in this even though he loves the comfort of it.
Speaker 2: He's always been someone that's been driven his heart totally and heart for better or for worse. And you know, it feels like that he's already had some conflict with the head of Vocal Journaline the lead boy, and so there are two instances of bullying that happened Vocal Journaline Egg Rachel and Kurt oh No, Rachel and Blaine right, and then Coach Beast walks out to a slur written on his car and we see the Vocal Journaline team driving away, and Sue sits down with Will and Beast and they talk about it and Will does some reverse psychology on them, and we'll get to what follows there. But the real focus of this episode is Coach Beast because Coach Beast makes his debut as Sheldon mm hmmm hm, and you have dots really powerful performance, and.
Speaker 1: I support Sue as well, like coming in very quickly knowing that like everybody's.
Speaker 2: There, Sue and Sam stepping it up.
Speaker 1: Love it Sam is It's It's funny though, because Sam is just so awkward and but like his intentions are so are pure.
Speaker 2: Well, he's just he's so bold and I guess with his intentions, yeah, yeah, so unapologetic, yeah yeah yeah, and then that can be like the real sincerity of that can feel almost overwhelming or awkward because it's just like pure sincerity. Yeah, it's like coord where you're just like he is loyal, he cares about his people, doesn't care and.
Speaker 1: However that comes out, it comes out right right, but it's really sweet. I like it. I like that.
Speaker 2: Has this just turned into a Chord Overstreet fan?
Speaker 1: It has been for long time.
Speaker 2: I will say out in these streets too, Jenna and I when we've seen other people from the show, and Cord will get brought up or something and someone may make like Chord to the end all the ready joke, and Jenna and I have been defending and speaking up about how good Chord is on this show.
Speaker 1: I'm like, have you seen these seasons?
Speaker 2: Because Jenna and I, fully I don't know who was we were talking to. We were like no, no, no, you don't understand. We shut them down.
Speaker 1: We were like, get get on board.
Speaker 2: And they weren't even saying anything bad. No, no, no, we just made like a passing like joke or something. We're like, no, no, no, no, But you don't realize he has to do this episode and.
Speaker 1: Just like, fully, we're awful we're.
Speaker 2: Not getting invited to anything ever again.
Speaker 1: No, no, we should always be invited because we are advocates for all of our friends. So Will brings back in this whole, in this whole storyline with vocal adrenaline in acting a fool will brings back Unique, Unique, and we had Alex Nowell has graced our screens once again, thank God, thankfully, and Unique and Beast connect and it's really sweet. It's so sweet, and I love that they did that. I love that they brought these two characters together.
Speaker 2: The generational divide or lack thereof with this is that is really interesting to watch. And how the younger person who has had to deal with all the horrible things that happened in high school plus being trans in high school, helping someone come out as trans later in life. It was just really something beautiful. Yeah, to watch they present their own set of challenges right right, But I thought subject that could have gone horribly horribly wrong. Yeah. I thought the performances in the writing was pretty delicate here, yeah, and like really well done. So during this Beast and Unique have a conversation and then shoot and Unique, oh we're gonna kip over that have a performance and that's all well say, you know for me. Okay, So we just keep going, yeah, keep going, okay, keep it moving. So what I was saying earlier about the about the reverse psychology. Yes, yes, yes, yes, no, sorry, I think we moved on from Coach Beast too fast.
Speaker 1: Now we'll go back to it. We're gonna go back to it. We're gonna go to it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he brings vocal adrenaline to McKinley. He's like, oh, we're gonna pull a prank on the vocal on a new directions, and so he brings vocal ajournaline into like a dark and quiet and empty McKinley auditorium, and then Unique walks out on stage and starts singing mm hmm and sing sanging.
Speaker 1: Well, this song is so good and so powerful, and then Unique and Alex singing, this song is unreal. Have to go put this on my Spotify right now. And then more importantly, the transferson in the choir of two hundred trans friends on stage.
Speaker 2: Was so I don't even it was overwhelming powerful.
Speaker 1: It was that's right, it was overwhelming. You had said you would went and well, and also like Sheldon Beasts being there in the choir, the way it was shot, like like kind of gracing the whole choir and then back to Alex and then to Dot at the end was like, oh I am, oh god, it is so good. You went and watched them film this, well we're.
Speaker 2: In the wings, but you know how they shoot it like we're not there for the whole performance, right, So I remember going up early and watched them rehearse it and shoot it, and it was just because we're not in the numbers, so we hadn't heard it yet.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: So the first time I heard it, that curtain opens up and then it's like, oh my god, wow, oh my god. And I felt like we hadn't done something like that powerful and emotional in a hot minute. And and I was not any sort of educated on trans people at all, but they were singing to feel it, to see them just.
Speaker 1: The power of having everybody in the room like that together.
Speaker 2: And also I walked in everyone was already emotional, and so Dante's crying, the camera operators are, Yes, everybody was emotional. And that was like one of those things where like that is the magic of Glee, Like we haven't felt that in a minute, And when you are impacting your like crew family that we have known for seven years at this point, like oh this is a good one. Yes, yeah for sure, And those people come from all walks of life, every type of background, and to see like, you know, something like that affect them in this way, is you know, the intention of I think of telling that story in the first place, because I think sort of the demographic makeup of the crew is also like the type of people that are watching this show that may not be exposed to that right normally. And it was just yeah, it was. It was a really really like beautiful moment, and the story is you know, then Will's like, now you guys are assholes. I'm out, Like that's sort of like I'm not doing this anymore. You guys want to do this, go ahead, go for it.
Speaker 1: You want to be and Will ends up becoming their volunteer at with Curtain Rachel for the consultant the Glee Club the volunteer consultant. But I like that scene because it brings it back like we're really at the tail end of this season. We're getting there, We're getting back to that point where I was like Will comes back because he sings to us and that Lads episode I remember that, but him like giving that speech was the heart you were talking about of Like I'm realizing that this is where I he's like, you guys are coaches coming in and out, Like I, this is where I belong. Yeah, and so it's exciting that he'll be there and have him back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just makes sense. And I also like it wasn't just a quick like you're the coach now.
Speaker 1: Right right, And and just a shout out to Dot, who we had on the podcast, for taking this so seriously the storyline and doing research and you know, I think Dot had mentioned that she has also portrayed other characters. Oh, I won't spoil too much, but she talks about having played a trans character in a show in one of Ryan's other pilots, so she had kind of done this before and you know, really spoken with the trans community and to get it right, right, Like, she takes this very seriously and deeply, and I think she did a beautiful job with you know, wanting to represent them properly because uh, she it's not something like she has a person is not somebody who takes anything lightly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she cares and like she just wants to give it the respect that it deserves, not the story be told authentically as possible.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, So kudos to Dot. Should we write some numbers.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's you give love a bad name.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a vocal adrenaline performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's solid A A minus.
Speaker 1: Fine same love f Z. Yeah, it doesn't exist all about that base. Hey, hey, somebody loves you A plus.
Speaker 2: A plus time after time B plus plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know where I've been A infinity.
Speaker 2: A infinite correct was like, how do we make this big enough? A infinity?
Speaker 1: Never gotten that before? Okay, TARTI takesh some cringe moments.
Speaker 2: There's still a lot of fat shaming. I don't get it. I don't know why there's so many fat jokes. Sue is just like, yeah, it's just it's too much. I know. She's like, you know, the cheerleading coach, athleticism, taking care of your body, but like.
Speaker 1: It was a time it was It's.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, but it's like one of those things that's still.
Speaker 1: Like let's just drop it is.
Speaker 2: Lingering, like we've dropped other things, Like why is that still lingering?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Best the move Billy's breakdancing, that's right that he like learned, Okay, it's so good. The best song obviously, I know where I've been.
Speaker 2: I know where I've been. Shout out to Betty who for somebody loves you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Best performance by prop obviously the Wheel of Fortune, thank you very much. Best line.
Speaker 2: Sue did have a really good one when she's talking to Sheldon and says, Hey, coach, I want you to know that I've been, that I've taken steps to battle the scourge of cist normativity and trans misogyny. In some other terms I had never heard of until I did a quick Wikipedia search this morning, which I appreciate.
Speaker 1: I liked this one and I'm gonna go a little sappy or not sappy, but like b says in his scene with Unique, I don't want to always be special though it does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah, that's a very good one.
Speaker 1: Performance MVP. I say dot dot, no question dot with a with a shout out to Alex Yes for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jenna, should we found on TikTok you ready, I'm ready? Okay? This one is wild. So two fish dot tattoo posted doing my favorite tattoo requests so far, gleeks. This is for us. Someone requested doing grilled cheeses and then she shows shows us the drawing. Oh, it's so good. It's so good.
Speaker 1: That is really funny, grilled Jesus.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's phenomenal. Honestly, Wow, that's hilarious. And I actually I'm down for that tattoo. I'm not mad at that at all.
Speaker 1: Really, you like it? I actually love it. I think it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have a bonus. Shit, we found a TikTok. It was a little cameo from one of our friends. It's the scene where Sandy Ryerson is talking about Josh Grobin and when they say who is Josh Grobin? And he says, who's Josh Grobin? And then Josh Grobin shows up and instead of saying you know yourself, Josh Grobin says, love yourself. It's very wholesome.
Speaker 1: That's I love it. I love it well. Josh Grobin has been an icon for me since day wan, so it's a still huge fan.
Speaker 2: Josh Grobin has been an unproblematic king for decades. Do you remember Josh Grob listen kid, Josh Grobin would put out an album and it would easily sell four million physical copies every time.
Speaker 1: We love Josh Grobin. Okay, thanks for joining us. We have dot Marie next week to actually talk about this episode and and about Sheldon B. So tune in and thank you for joining us and That's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.