Speaker 1: The volume. The NBA is finally back. A new season means new ways to get into the action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports.
Speaker 2: Betting partner of the NBA. Who's draining threes from beyond the arc? Who's hit the boards getting rebounds? Get behind your favorite players on prop bets you can make on DraftKings, the home of NBA player props. Ready to place your first bet? Try betting something simple like picking a team to win. Go to DraftKings Sportsbook app and place your bet. First time new DraftKings customers bet five bucks to win two hundred in bonus bets instantly. Take it to the rack with DraftKings Sportsbook, Every point counts. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app and use the code John. That's code Jhon for new customers to get two hundred bonus bets when you bet just five bucks only at DraftKings.
Speaker 1: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight Hope and Y or text hope and Y four six seven three sixty nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue INCE four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash Bball.
Speaker 1: What is going on? Everybody? Happy Halloween? Hopefully you parents with young children enjoy the night. Get some candy. Avoid the losers that give toothbrushes or fruit like this is a night to just binge mini candy. I know I have all week long. I justify my head to get one Snickers bars, I'd have to eat twenty five minis, which I would imagine is even close to being true. But that's what I tell myself when I'm just slamming them down every night because we have so much in the house. Other than that it's Halloween. The Jets are also playing, meaning we're getting more rogers and we get to continue the potential debacle that is this team. But I do think they lose again. We potentially will see another firing on Friday morning, so I'll get into that and we talked about Rex Ryan, like could they bring him in mid season? The World Series is doing really well. It actually out drew Monday Night Football. Have some thoughts there, and I thought we'd just do five big question marks as we head in to week nine, just talk about some of these games, some of these matchups, some of the big stories of the week. But we've had podcasts all week, as we do every week, so go check that out and also do I'll bang out a couple of male bag questions as well at John Middlecoff. At John Middlecoff is the Instagram. Make sure you fire into those dms. Obviously, all this stuff's on YouTube as well, so you guys know where to find us. Podcast feed YouTube easiest way to consume the content. So before we dive into that, you know, I got to tell you about my friends, my partners, and the official ticketing app game Time. As you saw the Yankee game Game five, that fan who knows probably use game Time to attend the game. Turns out he's Gronks buddy who ripped the ball out of Mookie Betts's hands. He'll never be going back. Looks like he's been banned. I don't know if he's been banned for life. He definitely got banned for Game five. Pretty hilarious moment. You just never know what you're gonna get in sports Ultimate Reality TV. That's why going to a game is so great. You know, you never know you could see something historic. We've all been at some bad ones, but we've been at ones that you'll never forget. And any parent out there, we just talked about Halloween. Those moments you have with your parents, with your dad, if you have a young son or daughter, are things that they remember for a long long time the rest of their life. Really, So if you get an opportunity and you've got some time off Friday Saturday during the week and want to attend something an NBA game and an HL game obviously football pro or college concerts as well. You want to go to a concert sing some songs. I say this all the time. You know, I don't think I've ever been to a concert and not had a good time. Now, obviously some acts are better than others, and it's easier to find out now, like who's good live who's not because you just go to YouTube. But you know, historically, just you heard rumors, then you see someone that you're like, WHOA, But now you've got a pretty good idea. And when you go to a good show, there's nothing quite like it. You have a great time, you get a little tipsy and enjoy yourself. And this app is so easy to use flashpoint deals. It gives you the ability to search by where you can sit, especially for concerts, the angle to the stage and the exact view. It's great. So take the guests work out of buying tickets with Game Time. Download the Game Time app, Create an account and use the code John for twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Create an account and redeem the code JHN for twenty dollars off. Download the Game Time out today last minute takets low as prices guarantee. I hope some of the Jets, specifically Aaron Rodgers, go to this game wearing just some outrageous costumes. I don't necessarily expect Rogers to remember a couple of years ago when he showed up to training camp looking like the dude from Nicholas Cage's character in con Air put the bunnet back into box. He just looked just like I forget the character's name, but the hair was flowing, had he had the outfit going and perfect, but now he's got short hair, so I don't think he can quite pull that off. But we're forced to watch the Jets again and that's the reality of them acquiring Aaron Rodgers, and like Aaron even said that the league told them Yells won. So they're on primetime NonStop and they clearly suck, and I think this night has a chance to really put the nail in the coffin. Obviously, their season's already over, like this team's not going anywhere, but just in terms of really shake some things up if they lose to the Texans, which to me, even with the Texans injuries Nico Collins out Digs is out for the season, their passing game really has struggled the last couple of weeks. So Joe Mixon looks really good defensively, I think Demiko if he gets pressure on Aaron Rodgers. We've seen Aaron aate movin and you've seen some quotes coming out from unnamed executives in articles like it's you don't need to be an NFLGM to watch him play and go this guy's a shell of himself. This guy is nowhere remotely close to what he once was. Welcome to life. I mean, most guys as they age are not Tom Brady. I say this all the time. Most guys think about Tom Brady's peers, Peyton Manning his last season, could not throw. I attended the Super Bowl. Actually it was one of my great bets of all time. Had a lot of money in the Broncos as an underdog against the Carolina Panthers, and after the first couple drives it was a wrap like you could tell his arm and I had seen him earlier that season against the Raiders and his arm was just as bad. It didn't work. Roethlisberger by the end was a dink and dunk guy. Drew Brees, same thing. Couldn't throw. Old guys, banged up players aren't the same now, like Brady if Rogers just standing there. He has an elite arm still, but he can't step into throws anymore. So all of his throws are like back foot, let it fling. And even when he used to enlisten Historically, Aaron Rodgers is exactly the first guy you go to a teach tape on. And I think sometimes Packer fans know this Jordan Love is like copy and pasted his game, which is a good thing, but sometimes it can get him in a little trouble. Like I haven't charted it, but I would imagine a decent amount of Jordan Love's interception, especially over the middle of the field, have been backfooted, like fade away Michael Jordan jumper throws, which is not the ideal way to play. It's why guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and even a lot of other guys in that era. You know, Philip Rivers is a good example. Like their arms, you know, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers didn't have good arms, so they had to be fundamentally stown and step into throws because they had to get as much juice on it as possible. Aaron never had, you know, Aaron always got away. He's like a pitcher. It's like, yeah, I throw ninety nine miles an hour, so yeah, my breaking ball's not great, but good luck hitting ninety nine. And it turns out in twenty twenty four everyone's thrown, so it's getting a little easier to hit. But you know what I mean. And you watch Rogers and in one way, it's like, yeah, kind of sucks seeing great players get old, but like, welcome to sports, and I get there are a couple outliers. I mean, like the way Lebron looks, I mean he was the best player on our Olympic team, the way Brady looked forty three, forty four years old. That those are not normal situations and we cannot get used to that, and the expectation for these guys should not be that. And I think we're learning that with Aaron, even if his team was better and his offensive line was better, he would still be nowhere near what he was three or four years ago. Remember his last year in Green Bay. There were some kinks in the armor that year, and that's way before it's Achilles ripped. So like, yeah, this year has been a disaster. I also think I've seen some takes, you know, guys like Mike Greenberg. This is the most historic, like failure in the history of sports. I gotta call bullshit on that, not because it's not a failure, it clearly is. They spent a lot of money. They've traded for a bunch of guys. They got a bunch of high you know, valued names and a lot of high priced guys. I mean, Rogers should be making what forty five to fifty a year, but he gave him a big pay cut. Obviously, DeVante signed one of the biggest contracts in the history of the sport at his position a couple of years ago. All these guys got traded for first round picks. But this team has sucked for a long period of time. I mean they I'm pretty sure they have the I'm not pretty sure. I know they have the longest standing playoff drought in American pro sports. Like that's not nothing. I mean we're going on like fifteen years now. So I would argue that like last year, the Dallas Cowboys, who have been good, losing at home as a big favorite to the Green Bay Packers in Jordan Love was a way bigger failure getting their ass kicked, I'd argue to Baltimore Ravens getting a home game also favored against Patrick Mahomes, whose team only scored seventeen points. If I had told you at the beginning of the playoffs, like you know, the wild card round, that it's gonna be Ravens Chiefs, and the Chiefs are only going to score seventeen points, that's all. You know. The line's gonna be the same. There is no way, even if you're not a gambler, you wouldn't be like, hey, what's the draft Kings account? Like I'm putting a lot of money. That's an epic failure. Right. The Jets have been a disaster because we talk about them so much, but like, this team has sucked for a long period of time, and these guys together haven't one crap. Part of you know, what makes football to me, why I love it so much, is because it brings everything into play, right, Obviously tangible like the skills, like you gotta have it, you need high end players, but unlike baseball, coaching really matters every single play, every single position. Chemistry and unity as a group matters a lot. I would also say intangible stuff like, ultimately, if Aaron Judge is hitting or not hitting, and I'm recording this before Game five, it has nothing to do with like his intangibles or his toughness or whatever. He just not seeing the ball very well right now. Loss is confidence, right, like a huge part of football, Like the Washington Commanders aren't exactly I don't know the ninety four Cowboys from a roster standpoint, No one's gonna get it confused with some of the great teams we've ever seen, even if they end up winning twelve games. But I would imagine if you got Adam Peters or Dan Quinn on the phone and said, describe this team to me, separate from the quarterback. And obviously Terry mclaurin's a really good player, but they got a lot of guys that like are our work ethic, our toughness, our football IQ, our willingness to do whatever it takes Monday through Saturday is through the roof. It's the buy in has been crazy, Like in baseball, do you need a buy in? Like in basketball, like you either can shoot threes or you can't. Like Russell Westbrook's trying. He can't hit water from a boat if he was in the middle of the ocean. That's just welcome to a guy that can't shoot. Right. We're in football. There are a lot of guys like, hey, he's kind of slow footed. You know, he doesn't have the longest arms. But it's like he's the toughest mfor on our team. And when you look at the Jets, it's like, yeah, Tyron Smith used to be good. He's not good anymore, Right, a lot of hype on some of your young players. That's like, yes, oas Gardner's not playing very well, their coaching staff is abomination, but their quarterback just isn't nearly as good as he once was. And we've talked a lot about this, Like, you know, the leadership I mean from Peyton Manning and Tom Brady is just elite. Their drive and their standards for their teammates or like they might as well be Nick Saban but with a helmet and football pats, Like those guys are even outliers. Like no one would confuse Roethlisberger's leadership as being like all time great, but for a lot of his career it's like, yeah, this guy's one of the most I don't know, unique players we've ever seen. Wait, this guy six y six two seventy, huge arm, toughest shit, hard to bring down. And then as he lost it as he got older, he just wasn't quite the same. And when you lose it as a quarterback. The one thing Ben had is like, you know, the culture and the team so they could still be really competitive. They had Mike Tomlin. You look at the Jets, it's like, okay, Rogers lost it clearly can't save the team. I saw Colin went on a thing on on his TV radio show. I guess more of a TV show now podcast as the way I usually consume or a YouTube TV. It's like the saviors don't exist, and I would say sometimes they do. If you get like an all time great player like Andrew Luck, if you put him on most teams, like he's gonna be have a savior element to him. I mean that Cold Steam was not very good, but like a forty year old coming off an achilles, yeah, he's got no chance in a league. It's like, yeah, it's softer than ever, but there's never been more speed on the field. All these defensive coordinators are getting paid a boatload of money to figure you out, and it's like, oh, yeah, you can't run. So it's like, wait, one of your main strengths that made you a great player is just completely gone. And it's why Tomorrow night like I expect this, Like I'm not betting this game because it does feel like everyone thinks they're gonna lose and then they end up winning. It's a short week at home, but like if they do lose, I feel pretty confident, like the general manager's probably fired on Friday. Now, the GM's contract is over at the end of the season. I think the writing's on the wall. It's not like he's getting a contract extension. I mentioned this yesterday. I don't think it would be the craziest thing you've ever heard if Woody Johnson pulled a Jim Rsay, but instead of Jeff Saturday got an ESPN guy that knows how to coach. We mentioned Rex Ryan. Why it makes a lot of sense to be the next head coach of the Jets is if you tell me they lose, like, why not just bring them in Saturday or Sunday. I haven't start coaching the team on Monday. Like he'd clearly do it. He'd drop everything heart beat and come back. If you're the just like, what's the point of just rolling this out with Jeff Ulbrich, who is like, you've had a couple of weeks. Clearly he ain't the answer, and you have greatly diminished his one strength, which was just focusing on the defense. So wouldn't it make sense just to fire the GM and to ask and now who knows? Maybe Rex is like I don't want the mid season snink. I'll definitely interview. But my guess is the way Rex is talked about, I think he'd show up immediately and just almost give you a trial run. And my expectations is like, just can can you get the train back on the tracks? Can you get us just pointed in the right direction? Can you take this corner that everyone said was the greatest thing since sliced bread? Who have always thought sauce was a little overrated, but he was a high end Pro Bowl level player. Is playing like an undrafted free agent. That's what a scout told me the other day. Like throw on his tape. He looks atrocious. Now is he banged up? I don't know, but like that would not fly. The one thing you know with Rex is like the culture and the effort, like there are non negotiables. Well, what happens when you bring in a substitute teacher, like you usually screw around. You know, back in the day when I got substitute teacher. We used to have in the nineties, those role in televisions with the VHS and usually like watch a movie and everyone was just dicking around, whether it was elementary school, junior high, or high school and I think sometimes we always talk about the boost of the interim coach. I think most consistent theme is yeah, maybe a game, and then it usually resorts back to what it was and a lot of times worse. And usually the guy's an interim coach for reason. The teams and shambles, and there's not much he can do if he's not some future coaching star. So like, from what I've heard, and it's pretty clear they thought this guy had head coaching upside, and listen, maybe he does. Maybe you should go to college or something, but he's just completely over his head the first several weeks. I mean, losing that game last week is an embarrassment. So I think everything would be on the table if they lose at home with a bunch of people. And here here's what someone told me. When you lose like this, like that Patriot game, the negative energy coming in on Halloween night, people wearing costumes. I would imagine a lot of sarcastic costumes toward the Jets. And if you have a bad night as a primetime game, I just think the owner is going to do something. I mean, he's already shown that he's a pretty inconsistent guy, right, just in terms of his messaging, his actions. So buckle up if you're a Jets fan, and honestly, like, would anyone complain if you just said, yeah, Rex Ryan started coaching on Monday, like because if they lose, like, okay, you're two and seven, you're completely done. No one wants to speak about you. But that would keep me entertained. I saw some numbers come out on the old interweb that the World Series outdrew Monday Night Football. Now both these numbers, you know, Monday Night Football usually does between twelve and fifteen million people. I mean sometimes big game as the season goes on could be much higher, but like you're doing thirteen to fifteen million people. For example, the NBA Finals last year is doing like nine ten million people. That's what's in the last couple of years. So these are enormous numbers that the baseball game did like fourteen million plus. And this World Series has been huge. I mean, the ratings have been just astronomical relative to what the baseball Just the vibe in the World Series has become in terms of interest, it's clear. I mean, you get the two biggest brands in the sport. The Yankees probably have one of the biggest fan bases all of American sports, even football. So I mean I would have ma imagine just the quantity of their fans. Probably isn't that far behind, like the Dallas Cowboys. I mean, say, if you just did, are you a Yankee fan all over the world. But I do think it shows us, Like we talk a lot about football, it's greatest strength. It's easy to consume. The overwhelming majority of human beings do not work on Sunday. The games once a week for two and a half three hours. It's easy to follow your team. You don't have to change your lifestyle very much. And if your team happens to play on Monday night football, it's usually after work so you're able to watch it. It's just a very very easy sport for a fan to watch the games, and then the games mean more. Right, you play once a week, and the one thing clearly with baseball, you play every day. Even Maria last night Game four was on, She's like, wait, the World Series on is again? I'm like, yes, Baseball, you play, you know, they're no, they're the only off day be to travel. Like, if you're in the same city, you play back to back, you just play all the time, right, even in the World Series, I'm like, yeah, this is this is the way it works. Like this isn't the NBA Finals where you have a couple of days off, Like this is you are playing and let's face it, Like I'm a good example. I would say I'm on the high high end of sports fans, just the amount when I was a kid that I consumed and I watched. Through my twenties, I've dedicated my life to working in the business and I don't think if you count from Game one to Game one sixty two, I watched more than a total of nine innings of baseball. Now part of that is I no longer live in the market in which the team I root for plays in, But the Giants are so bad. Even if I did, I wouldn't watch them. They're not good enough for me even to think about like getting the package and like during the offseason, like I'm just not watching Sunday Night baseball. But a huge part of the culture we live is like football became something that everyone wants to be involved in, and I think college football has benefited from that too. Is like WHOA, I got to watch this game and it's become a huge event. I think TV shows benefit from this right obviously social media. If you haven't watched the show and your friends talk about it, you see stuff online and it feels like a big deal. You feel like you're missing out. So you're like, what's this penguin show? Wait, Colin Ferrell's doing? What all these people are talking about it? I gotta check it out? And then you watch it. And that's how it to me. TV shows in twenty twenty four become really big. It's kind of word of mouth in the power of social media. Now, if you don't like the show after a couple episodes, you might not keep watching. But I'd say for the most part, most of the big shows kind of spread that way. You don't want to feel like you're missing out. I'm not a big sci fi I don't even know if Game of Thrones falls under that, right, but the dragons, the just kind of that world is not for me. But I felt like everyone was watching Game of Thrones, so I was like, I watched it. I didn't like it that much. It didn't do that much for me. Beside like I'm in you give me nudity, you give me some sex and you give me people getting killed, like I can watch, no problem, but I watched because I didn't want to feel like I was missing out. And football holds that part of our lives right now. I think the reason the NBA has lost, you know, half of its viewership over the last decade is like, you can't have the teams and the players tell you they don't care about the games and expect the consumer then to care, and when you lose them throughout the year, like you better have the perfect combination, like baseball has lost that. And if this was Padres versus the Guardians, these numbers would probably be five six million people watching. But you give me Yankees, you give me Dodgers. It feels big. I have not missed a I'm trying to bang this out right now so I can go watch the game here in about forty five minutes. And I think that's cool, and it's one thing that we still share in common. It's why my love of football. I love just running into people and then eventually talking about football. It's a great communal experience and I say it all the time, like my crossover in the golfing world, I would say most times when I play golf with people that I do not know. Football is brought up within the first couple holes, and once we kind of level out what I do or what team they root for, becomes a consistent theme throughout the eighteen holes that we play. And that's just not true for the other sports, I would say consistently, because they're not an event that we all share anymore. And obviously there are a lot more people you know in the world than thirteen or America thirteen fourteen million people. But I do think just a lot of people casually, and that's really benefited the NFL is like they've had an enormous increase in women watching, and I think one way, and I think a lot of these women are people's girlfriends and wives because they don't want to feel like they're missing out because it feels bigger than maybe it did fifteen, twenty thirty years ago, because it's true, and they've marketed that way and it's kind of worked, especially relative to the other sports. So I'm very fortunate. Like I can't imagine, like when I did a daily radio show, I had to watch every baseball game. I watched every basketball game, and half the time I was like I don't even care that much, but you gotta do your job. You got to know what you're talking about. And I don't have to do that anymore. So to get me to watch something that I'm not going to talk about on this podcast, like, it's got to be really really good and really really interesting, and I think the World Series this year with the Yankees and Dodgers has captured that and it's been really cool. I mean, that moment of that fan ripping the ball out of Mookie Betts's glove is some of the funniest shit I've ever seen. On a serious note, for a split second, You're like, bros, he gonna hurt his wrists because that would have been bad, but obviously no one got injured. Like it was hilarious like that. That is like, obviously the guy's insane to even have that idea. I saw Rob Gronkowski said he went to college with this guy at Arizona. He was on the hockey team. He's like that dude's insane, And this is Gronk saying that. So I just it's had some fun moments. It really has. It's kind of got me back into baseball. Let's do five big question marks as we head into week nine, I thought we just do this just a way to kind of talk about some of the big things this weekend, just things that I that I was kind of fired up on. Let's start with this one, because you know, listen, I'm in the business talking football, you gotta include the Cowboys sometimes. I do think it's interesting, like, are the Cowboys really just gonna suck? Like, listen, anyone that wants to push back and say they get talked about too much. I understand where you're coming from. But at least the last three years they've been a twelve win team, They've won the division twice, Like they've been a real tangible story. Are they really headed towards six or seven wins? Like, because that's what it kind of feels like. Right now. They're playing the Falcons, who have won four of their last five games. I saw before I press record, Cousins was just named Offensive player of the week. I think what he throw four touchdowns? You know, talk about the polar opposite of two guys that tore their achilles last year and Rogers did in Game one, Cousins did it what in November? And Cousins now looks fantastic. But remember Custins a couple of years younger. And here's the other thing. Cousins game's not predicated on a running round. Cousins ain't thrown from the back foot. Cousins if his cousin's arms, fine, he plays. You know. I'm not saying he's these guys, but his style is manning Brady. He's sitting in the pocket, stepping into throws, no running because he can't run, no ad libbing off because if he gets, if you pressure him, it's over. Kind of with God. Those guys are stepping the throws, deliver the ball, so they're fundamentals have to be elite for them to play well. And you watch a Cousin, You're like, got it just looks good again. He looks like a normal good player and a Rogers, which is weird to say about one of the best quarterbacks of all time, Like not mister fundamental, you know, And you watch Cousins of Slice and Dice, and this Dallas event sucks. Cool moment I saw Digs who went at it with that reporter about the tweet. They shared a laugh today. I also think it's fair because I watched the full video spliced up with the one today of them kind of laughing. If you haven't seen it, google Trayvon Digs and the Reporter. I do think after a game, when you're getting your ass kicked, like emotions are pretty high, like if I'm mad and something happens, like if something bad happens to you for the next I don't know, thirty minutes hour before you can either walk it off or kind of give a little time like you're gonna be hot. Like I do understand guys after a game, even if it's it's like the first thing you do is check your phone. Yeah, I mean I could be critical of that. I do the same shit, so do most people listening. Like the phone kind of lives in our hand. So is it that crazy that he walks in the locker room after losing another game that he checks his phone, like, yeah, well, welcome to twenty twenty four, but you lose this game, which they're an underdog. Uh, And I don't think most people are confident Dallas is winning this thing all of a sudden. It's like you're three and five then you play the Eagles. Are you just headed for a disaster? Are is it gonna get bad enough where Jerry knows Mike is not coming back and like fires him in the middle of the season or fires him around Thanksgiving. I think everything's on the table if they lose this game, because then they would, assuming Philly handles Jacksonville, be a pretty big underdog at home. The other thing for Atlanta in this game they win it. Tamp is going to Kansas City on Monday night. This division because you know, my Saints are dead. Uh could could be over pretty quick. I saw on Pro Football Talk today that the Bills technically can clinch the division if all goes right by week eleven. I don't know the math here on Atlanta, but we twelve thirteen. It could be a rap and they could just be playing for seeding. So this is the tough team to play now. Atlanta can't really rush the passer, but offensively they got some horses and I can see b John Robinson. If you play daily fantasy, if you want to gamble on some some touchdowns for a game, that might be a good game to dabble on. Bijeon having a big day number two. I think this is a question that your guests is as good as mine. But I'm pretty fascinated to watch this game. How will the Chicago Bears respond? That has to be one of the biggest kick in the Dick losses you will ever see. Listen, you lose on a hail mayor there's probably nothing worse in football like listen a lot of guys game winning field goals when the other teams lined up for a field goal. You got a pretty good idea depending, you know. I somehow my algorithm on YouTube. I watched now Davis video and now I've been getting a bunch, and I got put the video of the day that he fired Lane Kiffin and he had the overhead projector, and last night I ended up watching like forty five minutes of it. I don't know talk about having no life, but I had forgotten when Lane kiffen rolled out Sebastian Janakowski for a seventy five yard field goal. Obviously it wasn't even close to being made, and SeaBASS had a big leg, But like I would say, anything inside fifty. For the most part, if you're on the sideline or you're a fan, you are expecting to lose. No guys clearly missed field goals. You are not expecting to lose on a Hail Mary and everything that happened after that with the video at time, Eric Stevenson how critical everyone's been with the coaching staff, because let's face it, they've been pretty shitty. You're coming to Arizona, who's four and four, who has shown a little, They've been down in games and come back. They are very difficult to play. They're gonna be a lot of Bears fans there would if you're like, down ten to nothing after the first quarter, are you getting booed? You know? I think this thing, this game, to me, is all about Eberflusen, the staff if they have any shot of keeping this job. Like this is a must win game, if the Bears want to sniff the wild card, which might be dead after that game on the Commanders when you look at their schedule, This is a must win. This is a must win. And I kind of like Arizona. But Arizona also makes me nervous because I bet on them and they've laid eggs, so it's they're kind of a stay away. But I think this thing could get weird, and this thing could get weird fast because Cale's a rookie and he's not playing that well. So it's not like, hey, guys, get on. He can't look at them like Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen to get on my back. Fellas, I got us this week. I'll like these guys up Like Christmas Tree, He's very dependent on his coordinator and as head coach. I saw today Montes sweat miss practice, who he was awesome last week? Like, how's this team gonna look? Because to me it's it's I don't think there's much middle ground. They're either gonna respond and have a chip on their shoulder and look good. They are the better team than the Arizona Cardinals. They should win this game or they might melt. And to me, if they melt this game, it could kind of unravel and those games against the Packers and those games against the Lions could get ugly. So I'm fascinated by this matchup. Number three is Sean McVay in the Los Angeles Rams back because if I would have told you three weeks ago that the Rams were playing Seattle in Seattle, what's the what's the what's the line? I think it would have been Seattle minus five, minus six, obviously, factoring in the injuries and the way the two teams are playing. Now you watch Seattle, who looks like shit. I saw They asked Mike McDonald today if about Halloween. He's like, I don't really like Halloween. And then he laughed and he said, I dressed up for Bill Belichick one year, but Belichick probably wouldn't like that because of the way our defense is playing. And then you get the Rams, who are coming off a mini by right because they played on Thursday night. They get those two guys back, their offense looks dramatically better, obviously. I mean, Puka Naku is one of the best receivers in the league. Cooper is still a solid player. It opens up their run game. Their defense is solid. We'll have to you know, if DK plays are not it's a pretty big deal for Seattle. But these guys used to play in just great games when Pete and Russ were there. But I feel like I can see the Rams win this game by ten plus. I mean, if they're gonna play like they did last week, rejuvenated, refreshed and just explosive on offense all of a sudden, I'm telling you you're gonna look up if you look at the Rams schedule and they're gonna be like six and four or seven and five. You're like, wasn't this team like one and four? Like yeah, And then they got Pooka Toakua and Cooper Cup back, and they still got Matt Stafford. I do think, how do I want to fraighten this? Are we on a collision course for Philly and Washington? I look today eleven fourteen, So that's basically in you know, two weeks, the Eagles played the Commanders on Thursday Night Football. So Washington this week plays the Giants in New York like the comedy's there. Then they get Pittsburgh at home, which gonna be a tough game. The Eagles host the Jags big seven and a half point favorite, and then they go to Dallas. These two teams are the same record right now. As long as they both win one of these next two games and neither team gets swept, that game is massive. That will be easily the best Thursday Night game of the year in terms of momentum going in. So this Commander story really is pretty incredible. What dan Quinn Adam Peters signing just kind of you know, lower name guys, guys that weren't as sexy just depth players for other teams and you just watch them play, they just look solid. Obviously their quarterback has been pretty freaking good, and I just feel like their defense is overachieving, and to me, you have to look at dan Quinn for that. So are we on a collision course? And I don't think Philly, you know, is I think Philly is the better team, like roster wise, way better actually, But I thought the same thing about the Bears and eber Flus. Say this, like if you were just comparing eber Flus to Sirianni, now that I think the Eagles team is obviously better than the Bears, but you would go, here's what I say about Eberflus, what I wanted as my head coach, of course not. He is a really good defensive coordinator like his de He is good at that When I Sirianni is like, well, I don't even know. Kellen Moore and Jalen have settled down and their defense has got pressure, which Sirianni is nothing to do with. So that that is always the swing here, Like I would take dan Quinn over Sirianni, and that could be an equalizer even if a team does have more talent, But I looking at the schedule, I was kind of like, I'm kind of excited for that game already. And then my fifth will Green Bay and Detroit live up to the hype? Obviously, Jordan Love is injured and he said today that you know, the plan is a he's optimistic, he thinks he can play, and he's probably not gonna be able to practice all week. And he's like, yeah, that's clearly not ideal to play in a game, especially a big one, when you don't practice today, you know, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. But like sometimes it's the cookie crumbles that way, right, if you're injured. Could Green Bay win this game with Malik Willis? I think it's fair to say no, Right, that would be like Lafleur's crowning achievement. If he were to beat the Lions with Malik Willis, you could argue that's more impressive than like resurrecting Rogers. He's like, well, resurrected Rogers, Like it's like resurrecting, you know, an all time great player. That's impressive. But beating the Lions with Malik Willis they're big underdog at home, which was a number that jumped out to me right away when I just looked at the board yesterday. It's like, I know there's some questionmarks with this quarterback, but you're telling me you're getting the floor plus three and a half at home. I saw a staff today like as a he's like seventeen and four in situations of over a field goal, so he's covering the spread like Laflor's got a little tom unto him when you kind of bet against the Packers and some of these regular season games. Everyone you know. Goff hurt his ankle last week, didn't practice on Wednesday, but looks like he's gonna practice on Thursday. I mean, they just won a game where he threw for eighty five yards and they scored fifty two points, which I don't expect them to do with the Packers, but this is a freaking awesome game. Who would have thought two years ago when Jared Goff outplayed Aaron Rodgers on Sunday Night Football and knocked the Green Bay Packers out of the playoffs and was the last game that Aaron Rodgers ever played for the Green Bay Packers, would a couple of years later we'd be looking back and they'd be this good. Now. Part of that is they've nailed some draft picks. Some of the players that were already on their team are even better. Obviously Gough has only improved, but I sure, you know. It's the cool part about the NFL is it's pretty clear as the season goes like this is a big time matchup and sometimes games I remember I was so excited everyone in my life. You know, I have so many Niner people in my life, Niners, Ravens. Christmas Night, it was like, God, this is badass. And then the Niners got housed. You're like, that sucked. We've been waiting all week, everyone's been talking about this Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and then you watch You're like, this can't really be happening. It's like, yeah, it's sports. You just never quite know, and sometimes you get this moments like this is badass. It's happened a lot with the Chiefs in the playoffs. They've played in just some great games. I hope this game lives up to the hype, and I hope Green Bay, however, their quarterback situation plays out that Lafloor can have another Picasso type moment and give his team a chance, because if Malik Willis plays and they lose by you know, multiple touchdowns. I don't think anyone will really be the critical of the Packers. If Love plays and he's compromised, I kind of think the same thing. But if he's playing and looking good physically, I just hope the Packer defense can just come to play and we can get a real good game, because this could be it's I mean, it's definitely on the table of an NFC championship of a divisional round, like we're probably getting these teams playing depending on how the seating shakes out, because only one team can win the division. These teams playing three times and even without seeing the matchup yet this year, sign me up for that. Okay, let's bang out a couple male bag questions. You guys know the drill at John Middlecoff at John Middlecoff is the Instagram fire in those dms and get your question answered here on the show. Do you think Ben Johnson regrets not taking the commander job. It's a good question. I actually haven't heard anyone bring this up. I don't know how that wouldn't cross his mind all the time, right, everyone keeps saying he's going to be a hot candidate this offseason, which he is. I mean, people are gonna interview him, but it didn't get that much better than that opportunity. Now looking back, right, it's like, oh, well the Bears fire him? One is that who the Bears are going to hire? Like Ryan Poles is going to hire him over a Mike Vrabel type. I don't know. Obviously, Kevin Warren will have a say two, but right now we've got a long way to go. Your career is not written, but it's jayde Daniels still going to get better. And to me, he's on a different level than Caleb. Now you can say he's got Cliff, This dude's got Waldron. But if you told me you could have one job or the other, I think we would all choose that job. As it's SAMs today, and just in general, let's just say the Bears isn't an option for him. You know the Jags like, do you want to coach Trevor Lawrence? You want to tie yourself for that guy making two hundred million dollars. It's looking back, pretty incredible opportunity for any coach. You know, dan Quinn's career may be completely changed and he's been lucky. Right his last job, he had Matt Ryan in the peak of his powers, and he had some really, really good years. But now he's got this guy who's twenty three years old and clearly really mature, physically gifted, good on the field, like, kind of checks every box. So if you turn that job down and ultimately you do aspire to be a head coach, who knows maybe he just wants to be a lifelong coordinator, make four or five million dollars, I don't know. Not a bad gig, but you'd have to have a couple sleepless nights. Right question for the bag Rader fan here? With the trade deadline approaching, I have a thought, did the Rooney rule kill the ability to trade for a coach? After watching what the Packers head coach has been able to do this season with Malik Willis, I have to ask myself, what is that coach worth? I think I would trade two first round picks for a coach like that. Do you think the NFL would reevaluate the Rooney rule or would getting rid of that rule bring much backlash from the media. I also think that it would be sweet if you could trade for coordinators too. How much would the OC for the Lions be worth? Can you imagine a headline like New York trades a first round pick for Sauce Gardner to the Lions for their offensive coordinator to become the new head coach of the Jets. Well, I hear what you're saying. Coordinator you can just hire, right if you want the guy to be your head coach, he's a coordinator, you can just hire. I think the trading for coaches has nothing to do with the Rooney rule ultimately, Like why that never happens because one, you know, if you go back to Gruden, Al Davis just wouldn't pay John Gruden. Like he knew John Gruden was good, but he was kind of cheap with coaches. If a team had the equivalent of John Gruden and the way that team was, they were winning a bunch of games, they were in the playoffs, they would just give him an extension. The only reason Sean Payton they had to trade picks for him because he quit on the team. So if I have a coach, like let's say someone called me up, like I want Matt Lafleur. I'm the Jets. I want Matt Lafleur to be my head coach. Right, I'll pay him twenty five million dollars a year if I'm the Jets. Well, if you're the Packers, one he's under contract, and two like, we want Matt Lafloor as our head coach or Sean McVeigh or whoever, Like, we'll just pay him a bunch of money and keep him. And if he's winning, why would he want to leave? The Gruden thing was over money, and the Peytent thing was he shorted the roster and wanted out, but couldn't just leave because he was under contract. I know he says, I needed to reset. Now you quit on the team, which is fine, Like, I don't totally blame you. You were right, but he clearly didn't want to quit coaching because he came back eight months later. So I hear what you're saying. It would be cool, but you would just keep the coach if he was good, right you just Hey, what would it take for us to get Dan Campbell? Right? Like, what if you're the Jags, Like, I want Dan Campbell, We'll trade you three first round picks to the Lions for Dan Campbell. Lions would be like I'd just rather have Dan Campbell and keep building the team that we have. So it's just it was two very unique situations that I almost think are outliers to the profession because now with coordinators, I can just I just hire you. I don't need a trade for you. I was watching the McAfee and they were talking about the hard Knocks offseason and joked about this, but maybe there's some weight behind it. Everyone makes fun of the Giants for what they released and ask how did they even approve this? Do you think Mara approved it? Because if not signing Saquon backfired on them, it took the weight off of him, and he wanted to show everyone that it wasn't his decision. I've always thought, because I think most people in the league, right if you're a coach or you're in the front office that watch that, they're like a r I'm not even talking about the Marrow moment. I'm just talking about everything. The way day Ball and Shane interacted, the way they got ready for free agency, the phone calls with the agents. I think every GM looked around and looked at like his assistant GM and be like, I would you could shoot me in the leg before I would allow this to happen. And then I thought like hard knocks kind of sucks now normal hard knocks. Well, why is that? Because the coaches and gms are very sensitive to the players, right, they don't want One thing that inspired me to work in football way back in the day was the raw hard knocks in the early two thousands. You're like, I want to be because it was clear. I was like, I suck at high school football. I'm never playing that. I want to be in one of those meetings where everyone's just talking shit and just talking about the team. And I remember the first time I ever got invited to the meeting at training camp in Philly, I was like, I've made it because it's a pretty raw meeting. Actually, ours and Philly weren't really that crazy, but I remember there were a couple like Baltimore or some of the early ones. It was like, God, this is this is nuts. Well we don't get that anymore. And the only thing you do get is like.
Speaker 4: Yay, he's really coming on. We're really working on that footwork. I think little Mikey's got a chance to make the squad. It used to be like this guy sucks, this guy's awful. Fuck this guy cut him.
Speaker 1: Now my unit sucks. They're like Jesus, this is how they talk though, that's still how they talk. We just don't get access to it. You kind of got that version with hard knocks up free agency, and it looked like this is not in my experience, that was not the case. It was a very laid out plan you meet forever. It just felt very like willy nilly, And my theory's always been John Morrill wanted that out to show like, this is what we're doing. So if I have to fire these guys again, don't call me like Al Davis twenty ten. I'm not just firing guys every other year like this is what I try to hire. The right guys from Buffalo, they were winning. All was Josh Allen's guy. Shane was Brandon Bean's guy. Smart, good looking guy, good you know, family looks the part, just skinny in shape. It just seems smart. But it might suck. I don't know. So Yeah, I've always thought John Morrow wanted it out there. And I'm not just talking about the Philly comment. I'm talking about the whole thing, because that was that sent shock waves around football. Hell is shot waves around just fans. You're like, is this serious right now? Is this? Am I really watching this? I remember thinking in the in the off season, no way, I'm watching the Giants hard Knocks. This is gonna be so boring. And I remember I saw something someone talking about him, like I was in Tahoe on vacation. It's like I need something to watch. It was like eight o'clock at night, and I'm like, I just threw it on, and I remember, like I can't miss another one of these episodes kind of came out of nowhere.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Maybe not a question for your mailbag, but wondering your take as a former scout. Someone tells it like it is. I see a lot of criticism on Richardson's benching, But why is it assumed by so many that just because he was picked fourth overall that if he just gets more time, more playing time, he will develop. If that were the case, couldn't you take any great athlete and make them a good quarterback. I watch a guy like Party processes to play quickly and make the read. I know coaches can simplify reading a defense, but it seems to me part of what part of that is someone's natural born skills. For example, some people you show a flashcard to and they immediately recall and visualize the answer. But you can't teach someone to visualize. As you know, I've written you saying I think Richardson would always be a bust. What I see him as a guy who locks onto one read, is inaccurate, indecisive, doesn't set up well with his feet, and puts the team in bad positions. And I see no improvement from him. So why do people assume with more playing time he will get better. I think he might show a little improvement, but I just don't see him being a starting quarterback because the only way to improve when you are a raw product is to play. Now, you are correct, Just because you play does not mean you're gonna be good, no matter how much talent you have. Right, So it is an unknown. It's why so many of these high draft picks bust, because so many of them at all these positions. Something's missing for some guys just work ethic study habits. They don't you know, they don't understand football, and it's too fast for him. Some offensive linemen they're just not strong enough for they're not fast enough for quarterbacks. It's usually like I can't process because it's by far the hardest thing to do in sports. Definitely in football. It's just be a good quarterback. But the only way to improve on processing is to play. But you are correct, just because you play does not mean processing will improve. So remember they took a swing for the fences. They were not trying to hit like a Kirk Cousin's double. They were trying to get Cam Newton meets Josh Allen. It's what they were hoping for. Jalen hurts right most times, like there's hasn't been too many Cam Newton's. So you're watching him and you go, yeah, this is a problem. I would tend to agree. As we sit here right now. You can tell me he's twenty two. You can tell me he hasn't played. I would bet on him not being good. I would bet on him not having a fuel four playing because when do they Let's say Joe Flacco starts for the rest of the season, stays healthy, and they win ten or eleven games and they make the playoffs, Well, what do you do next year? Did you what the Browns just did and not resigned Flacco to another one year ten million dollar deal. Do you just make Anthony Rigesson the starter? What do you tell Jonathan Taylor? Yeah, man, I know a sweet winning those games and making the playoffs, and hell, we almost want a playoff game with Flacco tie game in the fourth quarter, but we're gonna go back to that other day because we drafted him fourth overall. Do you think Jonathan Taylor or Michael Pittman, who's literally playing through injuries, or their core guys on defense, give a shit. They're in a bad spot. Now, they're in the Trey Lance spot. Now this guy's better than Trey Lance, which shows you how low the bar is. But if this goes well, if Flacco sucks and they end up winning eight games, or Flacco is just up and down, and it's like it's easy to go back to him. But if they end up with double digit wins and are a wild card team, like, no one's gonna want to see Anthony Richardson next year. No one on the team cares that he drafts him forth overall. And the only chance you have for him that not to be a wasted pick is to have him play and improve. And I think it's pretty clear when you watch him talk. I heard. I was listening to Rousillo had Albert Breeran and he says, you know, you talk to people in the building. He's a pretty naive kid. And I think when you saw him talk after the game, I don't even think he didn't realize what he didn't realize even the day on Wednesday morning, just his I don't even think he quite understands what's going on. Right. And I've seen a lot of people with a lot of theories like we're in the AAU culture. You just quit what you want, Like, I don't know, you know, I don't see any quarterbacks in college is just tapping their helmet. I don't see Carson Beck when shit's hitting the fan, like asking Kirby Smart to come out, Like, I think this guy's a little overwhelmed. He's not very good, he's exhausted, he's out of shape, he's not accurate. Teams struggling when he's playing that.
Speaker 4: He just.
Speaker 1: More often than not, when you do swing for the fences at quarterback in the NFL, it does not turn into Josh Allen, does not. I mean Cam Newton wasn't swing for that. He was the number one pick. But you know what I mean, I would say this, and again this is low bar here. If you told me tomorrow, I can either have Anthony Richardson or Bryce Young, both guys who have been benched. Bryce is now playing because Dalton got in the car accident, but if Dalton was healthy, Bryce would still be on the bench. I think every single human in the league, and I would imagine ninety nine percent of fans you just still take Anthony Richardson because there is some stuff there. I do think. I think sometimes accuracy is a little innate, like do you have any touch? Like clearly Josh Allen, I wouldn't call him, you know, Drew Brees, but when he's on, like he's got a lot of touch with just lollipop throws and wheel routes, like he's he's really really improved there. You watch Anthony Richardson, it's like, I don't know, he feels like a pitcher in the minor leagues's throwing one hundred miles an hour, does not have another pitch and has no clue where the pitch is going. It's so yeah, you can strike a guy out on three pitches down the middle, or he could hit a guy in the chin and break his jaw, you know, or throw the ball behind the guy. He's like, man, I wasn't trying to hitch. I was trying to throw aside an outside slider. I think he's got no clue what's going on, which is pretty scary if you're Chris Baaler and those are the type things that get people fired. You know a lot of people defend this crew, but that the type move you swung for the fences you've been waiting forever. You kind of tank the season to end up there. That year you had the fourth overall pick, and this guy stinks. You know. Part of the reason it did not torpedo the forty nine ers is because they never stopped winning. So the pick was a disaster. They wasted all those first round picks that would help them literally right now, but they've just won. I mean, they're a disaster right now. They're four and four. But the last two years with Trey Lance, right, I guess is this is fourth year, three years Trey Lance have been in the league. First year NFC Championship Game, second year NFC Championship Game, third year Super Bowl. So it's like you can't It's like no one really cares. But it's like you look at the Colts, like, what have you done since Anthony Richardson. It's like, oh, we missed the playoffs. Damn you were that but we were right in until the end. It's like, oh, he was that good. Oh actually he didn't play Gardner Minchew did, so yeah, we're right the playoff mix again, It's like, oh, how's he playing? Actually we had to bench him for Joe Flacco. Like you just start kind of saying it out loud. You're like, ugh, this is a problem, and a pretty big one because unlike the Niners who kind of lucked into party, I mean, Flacco is gonna turn forty in January. It's fun to talk about him and watch them, but it's not really. I mean, it could end at any moment. Plus, he can't move like he could get hurt. Okay, last question. Let's say all the non head coach offensive play call callers in football would be up for draft night this second. In this imaginary play caller draft, which OC's would go one through ten? In your opinion, I mean, I would say that, you know, the best offensive coordinators in the league are are head coaches, right McVeigh, Kyle Lafleur Andy, I'm sure really missing people. Who else is good? Ravens, no Bills, No, okay, who Let's just do the top five. I would say Ben Johnson would be very very high up there. I would say the Ravens and Todd Munkin would be very very high up there. I would say one guy who has come screaming up the charts would be Joe Brady with the Buffalo Bills. I would say Kevin O'Connell's a head coach. Shane Waldron definitely not. I think I know he's having a rough stretch. I think Bobby Slowick would be pretty high up there, given what he did last year. That's a good question. So I would say Ben Johnson would go first. I would imagine Todd Munkin would go second. This is a good question. I would imagine Joe Brady would go in the top five. Sean Payton, know you know Greg Roman. Everyone hates him, but I think he's pretty good. Cleveland, no Vegas, no Jacksonville, no Patriots, no Jets, hell no. I'd say, you know another guy flying up the charts who's a McVeigh guy is Zach Robinson in Atlanta. The Arizona guy. Is it Drew Pezzing. Is he the defensive coordinator the offensive coordator? I think their offensive coordinator is the bald guy. I think he's doing a pretty good job. Really, not that many coaches, you know, Kubiak not going great with Spencer Rattler and Jake Hayner. Mainly Rattler not my guy. Hater. He doesn't even get to start, like, hey, guys, can you start? Hanter? That was a little off the wall. Good question, that's what podcasts are for. Last question here, interested in your opinion how poorly run the Carolina Panthers are. That Deontay Johnson trade is horrendous negotiating in management. They traded a guy who clearly was one of the best receivers who's available right now for essentially fifteen picks. They're doing a pick swap from like this, I think the sixth to the fifth round with the Ravens. I keep seeing fifteen picks. I guess there are comp picks in that round. That's what changes it. So yeah, I think sometimes we overvalue some of these guys, right, Like Keenan Allen goes for a fourth rounder, DeVante Adams goes for a third rounder. You know, Marii Cooper goes for a third rounder they're not getting. Should they have just got a fifth round pick? Yeah? Should they have to flop picks to make a trade, like, say, Baltimore, this guy, Like, do you want this player in your team? We're not. We're giving you the player nothing else. So you give us a pick, we give you the player. That's the deal, right, I got a cheeseburger, you got five dollars. You give me five dollars. I give you the cheeseburger. It's not like I have to give you the cheeseburger. You give me five dollars and I give you an extra dollar. Like what the pick swap thing? I don't quite get that, Like just tell them no, like we're not. We'd rather just keep the player then, which makes me think, I mean the Steelers got rid of him. Can this guy be a little bit of pain? There might be more to that. Maybe this team is brat Joe Brady is OC, Christian McCaffrey, Brian Burns, DJ Moore, Curtis, Samuel and Darnold and Baker all within the last four years and probably and is probably the worst roster of my lifetime. That's pretty crazy. Thing about Joe Brady now top five pick on this fake OC draft. McCaffrey went healthy, is one of the best players in the league. Brian Burns actually pretty good. I'd be lying if I said I watched that much Panthers the last couple of years, but watch them on the Giants. Good player. DJ Moore's a stud. Yeah, I don't know what to tell you. I mean, it sucks, man, it really does. It's gonna be you know, the only way to get out of a hole is to drop the shovel. So it's like they just got to stop digging themselves deeper. And this year there's nothing you can do. This year, I would trade any player on my team that had any value. I would completely start over, which sucks to hear, but it's just kind of the reality of where you guys are right now. Thanks for listening. Appreciate everyone, audios, have a great day, night or morning. The volume mm hmm