Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock Act. It's our one Tuesday, the day after Welcome to the program. Check in with the Jets. Kyle Brant Good Morning Football stops by. He blew out his achilles while filming some promos a couple of years ago for Good Morning Football, and just to let you know, we did book him prior to what happened last night. To Aaron Rodgers, We're not that good. Al Michaels will join us a little bit later on as well. It's a win, but it doesn't feel like it. The Jets beat the Bill and a punp return in overtime, but a big loss with Aaron Rodgers done for the season, or at least likely done for the season. Athletes know their bodies. If you watch Aaron Rodgers seems pretty composed now I know that he knows the cameras are on him, but when he goes down, he almost is resigned to the fact that something is really serious. Now, it's not like he's had an achilles injury before. Where you go, yep, I know what that is. You know, when Kobe Bryant got injured, Kobe knew right away. Now he got up shot his two free throws, but he limped off, and he knew that this was serious. It was the achilles. I have played basketball before where I was playing a teammate of mine blew out both of his achilles on the same play. He blew them out, and he thought he'd been shot. People when they get hit in the achilles or the achilles goes, they think they got kicked. And sometimes you'll see them turn around like who kicked me? Aaron Rodgers knew something was really serious last night, and you could see him, you know, when he sat down it just like God, he could not this is not possible. And then you start you saw him limping. I don't know how much pain he was in because that kind of varies, you know, depending on who it is. You know, Kevin Durant blew out his achilles and Kobe, you know, didn't seem like they were grimacing in pain, even Aaron Rodgers last night. But then you have players people who blow out their achilles and it's like they got shot four plays. I don't know if I've ever witnessed a higher high and a lower low in the span of thirty minutes covering sports for forty years. Now that atmosphere there. Aaron Rodgers runs out with the American flag the anniversary of nine to eleven. They got the spotlight on him. Here we go, here we go, months of hype, hard knocks, and then all of a sudden, he was under duress in three of the four plays that he had. Knew that the offensive line was going to be an issue, we didn't know it was going to be that big of an issue that soon. But he's done, and Zach Wilson is now your starting quarterback or is he? Because you have a super Bowl talented roster, you have to exhaust all avenues here if you're the Jets. So we'll talk to one of their beat writers, Brian Costello the New York Post. Is there a chance and you have to ask the question with Tom Brady will like to play for the Jets after a day before saying that he was a Patriot for life. But hey, you can be a patriot for life, but can you be a Jet for I don't know. A few months now eight seven seven to three DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handlelydp show was an oh, by the way, the Jets won the game, and this is how it sounded and.
Speaker 1: Getting away a line drive kick of Sam Martin Gibson runs under it at the ten thirty five, charts to his left, gets to the fourdy turns the corner.
Speaker 3: Not the forty. Fot that fuck? Is it good?
Speaker 1: Not the forty, not the Bills thirty.
Speaker 2: He's out the twenty.
Speaker 1: It's not a step to the ten to.
Speaker 4: The food touch down.
Speaker 5: It's a Jet touch down.
Speaker 2: This game is over Jets Radio Network with the call, wonderful call. The Buffalo Bills lost this game. The Jets are going to get credit for a victory. Buffalo lost this game. They had as many turnovers as they did points in the second half. Three. Josh Allen played horribly and had this to say afterwards, Josh, the four turnovers.
Speaker 6: Was that something they did or is that just.
Speaker 5: You maybe force the ball trying to force the ball on a little bit and trying to force the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same ship, same play as different day. You would think that Jack Wilson would play that way. Not Josh Allen. We've been down this road. When he first started, he didn't look like now. I'm talking about when he first got to Buffalo. I said, I don't know if he knows how to play the position, because he made a lot of bad mistakes and he forced he forced the ball last night, he threw a couple of interceptions. You're just going why and then the fumble there. Stat of the day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show come up with the poll question play of the day, and of course many stats of the day as well. But this is the call if you were listening on radio with the Jets and Aaron Rodgers and your season, perhaps heading South.
Speaker 1: Takes the snap, drops back, looks over the middle under pressure, and he rookie South back to the thirty two yard line by Leonard Floyd. So the Bills get a big negative and Aaron Rodgers gets up with a limp. Aaron Rodgers right now doesn't look one hundred percent right, good way with because got Leonon Floyd right, he's gone down. Then Aaron Rodgers is sitting down in the field, he's hurt. Eleven fifteen to go in the opening quarter and Aaron Rodgers is injured on the sack by Leonard Floyd and the Jets training staff surrounds him, and Zack Wilson pops up and starts to get ready and takes some warm up.
Speaker 2: Throws questionable, then doubtful, then out for the game. It didn't take long and you could tell the owner what he Johnson was informed. You could tell when Robert Salah knew that it was going to be serious, and body language wise, you knew Aaron Rodgers knew right away. By the way, who would have thought that Zack Wilson would have a better quarterback rating than Josh Allen but he did last night. Is Josh Allen or is Zach Wilson good enough to keep this team in contention? I was curious about what are the Super Bowl odds? The Jets were plus sixteen hundred to win the Super Bowl started the season. It's pretty good the injury. According to DraftKings, the Jets are now plus six thousand. Do you know who has better odds to win the Super Bowl? The green Bay Packers do.
Speaker 7: Whoo cow stall of a day, stant of a day, stall of a day, stant outa day.
Speaker 2: This is the stele of the day. By the way, the Packers lost last night because if Aaron Rodgers played, I think upwards of sixty five percent of the staffs seventy percent of the snaps, Green Bay would have gotten the first round draft pick. Now, as the result of the injury, it's a second round draft pick. Early odds for the Jets and Cowboys. The Jets are getting seven and a half at Dallas. I can't imagine what Michael Parsons probably thought when he saw Aaron Rodgers go down and went, m Zach Wilson is on the menu next weekend. I love that.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marv first, Daniel Jones, now Zach Wilson. Yeah, party time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Inflate those numbers with that Dallas defense, all right? Eight seven to seven three DP show email Addressdpadanpatrick dot com, twitter handle at DP show. Here is Robert Salah, the Jets head coach. When he found out Rogers was done, kind of numid with that.
Speaker 9: He was out obviously, we knew he was out and when they told me what they think it was just recall him, the look on Aaron's face before he went and took his knee pretty much know in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knew, he knew right away. This is something different. It's a different type of injury. Guys when they bang up their knee, their shoulder, they know it and achilles. That's something that it's not usual, not normal. H This program, this hour brought to you by Discover credit cards. They do something really awesome at the end of your first year, automatically double all the cashback you've earned the cash back from trips and restaurants. See terms and check it out for yourself. Discover dot com slash match. All right, Seaton, let's pull a question today.
Speaker 10: Well, I think we're going to try and solve the Jets quarterback situation. Daan Okay, the Jets a quarterback should stick or search Classic Dan Patrick.
Speaker 2: Stick or search brought to you by Miller Lying Stick.
Speaker 10: Did they stick with Zach Wilson or do they go look for somebody?
Speaker 2: Okay, you can look, but are you going to find a Nick Foles type of quarterback?
Speaker 10: Do you want to find a Nick Foles type of quarterback or.
Speaker 2: Nick Foles, Well, it feels like Philip Rivers is always ready to play. He's not it. No, he's not. Uh, but that wasn't going to he's ready to play. That doesn't make can yeah, hey, no, no, no Phil. It's like the kid in class who raises his hand and you're like, no, I'm not gonna call on you. Yes, Ton rab Zach Wilson.
Speaker 11: Or Matt Ryan or was that such a disaster with the Colts? Is that something you would even look at at all?
Speaker 2: Do the Jets know what they have in Zach Wilson? I think that's really the key. It's like the Packers they knew what they had in Jordan Love's they were going to move on from Rogers the previous year, you know, for a variety of reasons. You know, they move on from the drama here. But they knew what they had in Jordan Love. I don't know if the Jets know, and maybe they do know what they have in Zack Wilson. But you got him under contract, you can't demote him to third string, well, second string, he'd be the backup to somebody, you know, do you look at Jacoby Brissett. Do you look at Gardner Minshew? Do you look at Carson Wentz? Do you look at Tom Brady? I got it. I have to at least ask the question for Tom Brady.
Speaker 10: The Tom Brady thing is funny, but why not sure? You need a dude for one year? While Aaron Rodgers is fixing his ankle, fixing his achilles, you know he's not gonna want to stay longer than that.
Speaker 2: Well you never know. With Tom you never know. But here's another thing. You have to factor in Aaron Rodgers's age here. This is a year long process. He is going to be forty in December, and you're trying to come back from an achilles injury. This is different than all the surgeries. I mean surgeries now. I mean it's amazing what they're able to do and get you back playing, but an achilles, there's no shortcut. He's going to be forty rehabbing this to try to come back, and I don't even know if that's enough time to be able to come back. Dan Marino blew out his achilles late in his career. I mean, these things happen, and then try to come back and then having the energy to want to come back. Remember he was saying I'm in it for a couple of years here. Now owe that to the Jets. Well, we didn't think that this was going to happen, and now Aaron Rodgers rehab for a year to come back. Can you get somebody? Who can you get because that's a good roster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pulling a couple thanks. Nick Foles is thirty four, he's five years younger than Rogers. You can get him for nothing. He's just sitting out there. Gardner Minshew's twenty seven years old. If you're the Colts, you're not playing for anything this year. You've chosen to hand your team Anthony Richardson. Maybe you pick up a third round draft choice for Gardner Minshew out of nowhere. You signed col McCoy as a backup, move on and have a bad season. Here's another one. Would you trade for Kyler Murray?
Speaker 2: Just kidding?
Speaker 4: That's why to see the exit of the room. Min doesn't Minshew make sense?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 4: It's kind of like remember when Teddy Bridgewater went down and the Minnesota Vikings thought they had the Super Bowl team, so they traded for Sam Bradford, which didn't work out. But the filled up. Eagles fleeced him. If you're the Colts, you can maybe fleece the Jets.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Gardner Minshew is You're able to fleece them over Gardner Minshew, Well, would you I like him? I like Gardner Minshew. I've said that before.
Speaker 4: Forty four touchdowns, fifteen picks in his career. He's twenty seven, and with that roster, he has to hand off. He's throw to Garrett Wilson and let the defense take over.
Speaker 2: You got to understand the offense. So they bring in Nathaniel Hackett, they bring in Alan Lazard, they bring in Randall Cobb. They brought in everything for Aaron Rodgers to run Aaron Rodgers offense. So Zach Wilson gets in there, he's he's got to learn Aaron Rodgers' offense now with the first team, and you could see where he was struggling a little bit, just like, just hand the ball off, dude, don't do much. Hand the ball off. Let's see if we can get out of here with the victory. But I wonder if somebody who was played under Nathaniel Hackett, who's the offensive coordinator, and I don't think there's anybody that you can bring in who knows that system, you know, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Brett Rippon, Blake Bortles, Chad Henny, Cody Kessler, EJ. Man. These are guys who have played in Nathaniel Hackett system. They're not available you want them.
Speaker 4: Blake Portals, by the way, is only thirty one years old out of football.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh wow.
Speaker 2: Does Cam Newton call and say hey if you need me? Why not? Well, I mean he might call, but I don't think Cam Newton would be the guy that you want running that offense.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, this is like me having my hand up during pickup and there's a bunch of really really good players instead, Like, hey, I'm ready if you guys need me, all right, Marvin, sit down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Tom.
Speaker 11: Drew Brees is forty four.
Speaker 2: Is there anything? Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 10: There's quarterbacks all over the country right now that we're like, wonder, do I got it in me?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you know. Cam is like oh yeah, ready to go. He's like, honey, let's go out back. Let me see if I still got it. Let me take the door off, Yeah, let me take that my scarf let me take that off, get out of here. Yeah, yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen. That would be funny though, just just to be the operator at the Jets facility. Yes, Philip Rivers, Police, hold Gardner Poleae hold Tom Brake. I'll put you right through. Tom. You get a lot of I'm.
Speaker 11: Not here, I'm here, I'm not I'm busy, I'm not here.
Speaker 2: What other poll questions do we have there?
Speaker 10: Well, we could go negative as we love the O who had I mean we just did.
Speaker 2: Who had the worst week yesterday?
Speaker 10: That just got dramatically different today?
Speaker 2: Who had the worst week? One? The Jets?
Speaker 10: Aaron Rodgers say, the television networks that probably had a ton of Jets game schedule.
Speaker 2: M as Marvin said, what's the earliest you can flex your schedule here? Because all of a sudden the Jets with eld Aaron ronders still interesting, not as interesting, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 4: Jets are on National TV next weekend. They're in National TV week four versus the Chiefs. They're in National TV versus the Eagles in week six. I can go on. They're on National TV versus the Charters in week nine versus the Raiders Jets are on National TV Week ten versus the Raiders. My guess is they were planning to be versus the Bills week eleven. That was a four o'clock game, but they would have made that one of the big games. They're on National TV Week seventeen versus the brown.
Speaker 10: Were like the dread Zone.
Speaker 2: All right, Todd, thank you? Oh yes, Tom.
Speaker 11: Do networks make any kind of deals like ahead of time before their deciding what games they could do, like at this injury we have an opportunity to or they're kind of stuck for the most part with all these.
Speaker 2: Well the other networks don't want to help you out. No, Roger's just a solid Yeah, can you take this game off our hands?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 2: We're going to take a pretty big ratings here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, here, spend all this money hoping Aaron Rodgers is going to be playing all these games for the Jets.
Speaker 2: On our network. I remember working at NBC and Football Night in America. We Pilford a game from CBS boomer Assize and was upset about it.
Speaker 13: I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, why do they got to take our game? Well, because it's a better game. Yeah, Yeah, that's that's what you negotiate for Boomer. Yes, Paulie, it's funny.
Speaker 4: There was a story in the offseason that Roger Goodell was pushing towards more flexing, more flexing with Thursday night games a lot more flexing, and people are up in arms. It was change people's travel schedules. But that's something the NFL does want, more flexing ability.
Speaker 2: All right, are the Jets in the market for trading for somebody? We'll check in with Brian Costello covers the Jets for the New York Post Al Michael's a little later on Kyle Brandt, Good Morning Football, and any suggestions on can you remember a higher high or that eventually led to a low or low than what we saw last night in the span of thirty minutes. The span of thirty minutes, Rogers running onto the field. Everybody is pumped. You got the spotlight on him. It's the anniversary of nine to eleven. And then four plays in, it's over. Take a break. We're back after this, Dan Patrick Show. Football back in full swing. DraftKings sports book and official sports betting partner of the NFL, has an offer for new customers bet just five dollars on any football game get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly, so you're not missing out on any of the action. All DraftKings customers can take advantage of two new offers every game day this September. Get in on all the action DraftKings Sports Book Download the app now use the code Patrick to sign up new customers. Bet just five dollars take home two hundred instantly in bonus bets only on DraftKings Sports Book with the code Patrick. The crown is yours, the microphone is yours.
Speaker 14: Fritzy twenty one and over in most eligible states, but age varies by jurisdiction. Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wy or text hope and y four six seven three sixty nine. Bonus issue is free bets one early win token issued at Opton money Line bets only. Deposit and wagering restrictions apply. Eligibility in terms of draftings dot Com slash football terms.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us Live on the Peacock app. If you can think of a higher high, lower low in the span of thirty minutes that rivals what happened last night. I'm all ears because I don't remember in forty years of covering sports where you had a moment where Aaron Rodgers leads the team out the American Flag Anniversary at nine to eleven. That place is pumped. We've had all the build up, You're playing the bills, and four plays in, Aaron Rodgers is done. Brian Costello covers the Jets for the New York Post and he joins his snow. When did you know that this was probably the end for Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 3: Brian probably Dan when they brought the cart to take him from the medical tent to the locker room, which is about twenty five to thirty yards, So that tells you he couldn't walk that distance. You don't usually see them cart, you know, you see guys could cart off the field. You don't usually see the cart to the medical tent. So once that happens, you know, I thought it was bad.
Speaker 2: How would you describe the atmosphere prior to that.
Speaker 5: Oh, it was electric. I mean it was incredible.
Speaker 3: I can't remember a Jets game ever having an atmosphere like that before the game.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe Rex Ryan's.
Speaker 3: First game against the Patriots at Giant Stadium, but nothing at MetLife was like that. It was you know, they the Jets did a great job with the lights were out. They had all these day. Everyone had a bracelet on that lit up and the place method man was reducing them and they call her coming out with the American flag.
Speaker 5: I mean it was crazy. It was a really electric atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Any news this morning, any updates, No.
Speaker 5: Nothing yet.
Speaker 3: He's having an MRI. I'm not sure what time. I'm sure we'll find out later this morning. But I mean they there's not much hope here.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: My understanding is the doctor feels your ankle and they can tell if the Achilles is intact, and this is just kind of a formality to make sure. But so I don't think there's much hope for anything here. But we'll probably find out later this morning for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are the options as the Jets move forward?
Speaker 3: Well, I think Zach Wilson is you know, he's the guy right now They've got a game in Dallas on Sunday. There's nothing they can do right now. So he's the guy. And look, they've been building towards Zach Wilson having a second act. I don't think they ever thought it was going to come now, but this is what they've been working on. They decided not to get rid of him this offseason, kind of keep him and try to rebuild this confidence, have Rogers work with him.
Speaker 5: So he's the guy for now.
Speaker 3: I think they'll see if they can win some games riding their defense, in their running game and managing around him, sort of like what they did last year in the middle of the year, and then if, if, you know, if it's not looking good, maybe then they explore other options. But right now, I think this is the Zach Wilson Show.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you place a call to Tom Brady?
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess he called Don Yeue's agent, and see, I think it's a really big long shot. I mean, I can't even fathom how you'd make that work salary wise, how you'd meet.
Speaker 5: You know, with the salary cap.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the quarterbacks are not coming for six million dollars, right Tom Brady's gonna want a good amount of money, and you'd have to completely just strip down the offense and rebuild it. You know that he doesn't run the same offense as Aaron Rodgers, so I think that's a pipe dream. But yeah, I mean, I guess, I guess you could see if he's he's interested.
Speaker 2: I wonder did the Jets know what they have in Jack Wilson.
Speaker 5: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: I think there's fingers crossed and there's some hope, and I do think he handled all this pretty well over the last eight months. You know, he lost his job and he embraced it, and he seems to have a good attitude. And you know, he did some okay things during the preseason, but nothing that tells you, okay, he's ready to be a different quarterback right now. You know, I think, I think you're going to see them manage around him.
Speaker 5: Dan. I thought we saw that in the fourth quarter last night, at the end of the game.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe you take a shot to the end zone there and said, when you're set up for that last field goal, no shots to the end zone. It was handoff, handoff, handoff, handoff, handoff. They were not letting him throw the ball. So you know, if you remember last year when the Jets got hot in October, that Zach Wilson was the quarterback and they figured out a way to win, and they rode their defense and they rode Breese Hall. And I think they're going to try to do that again and that will work for some of the time, and there's gonna be some games where it will.
Speaker 5: Not work at all. And Dallas.
Speaker 3: If Dallas plays like they did against the Giants this past week, this week, this could be a tough one. And you know, the Jets are going to strugg playing from behind. That's where the problem is going to be. And that's what Aaron Rodgers was supposed to solve, was they weren't going to be behind number one, and then they always felt like they were going to be in in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: With Aaron Rodgers, you're not gonna feel like that was Zach.
Speaker 2: Wilson who had a worst weekend the Giants of the Jets.
Speaker 3: Who I'd say the Jets, I mean, because look, the Giants can say, oh, it's one week.
Speaker 5: We're moving on. You know, it's a long season. You don't overreact to a week one.
Speaker 3: I mean, Dan everyone saw this publicly. You watched Hard Dots. This entire organization was built around Aaron Rodgers this season.
Speaker 5: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: The defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrick sat there in the first episode is saying, this is our quarterback. We can win with this guy, right, And everything was about Aaron Rodgers and that was gone in work plays. I mean, it's it's hard to even wrap my brain around it right now. And I've been around the Jets a long time. I've seen a lot of bad Jets and things, but this one is tough to comprehend right now.
Speaker 2: This is why the Jets can't have nice things.
Speaker 3: B I mean, it's really just unbelievable Dan, And I think Jets fans would probably just drive me as pessimistic about the Jets. But even I could never have foreseen four plays and going like this.
Speaker 5: It's just incredible.
Speaker 2: And you know what, he was under duress in three of those four plays. Yeah, you know, Rech Hall had a really nice run. But I mean I was worried right away when I'm going, wait, they're just starting and they're putting pressure on him, and yeah, even when he got sacked, I'm like, did anybody block anybody on that play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not Look Dan, the offensive line was a concern all through training camp. You know, we wrote about it, we talked about it. It's hard for me to pin this completely on them the way it was explaining to me. That play was supposed to be a quick pass. If you watch Dwayne Brown the left tackle, he dives at Leonard Floyd's legs, it was a cup lock. Usually that's a cuplock quick pass. He didn't execute the cup lock. He didn't knock the guy to the ground, so he failed in that aspect. But it seemed like Rogers maybe I don't have the coverage forces, but held on the ball a little bit, and then you know, it's just you know, you should be able to give up a sack and not expect to lose your quarterback for the season.
Speaker 5: It's just incredible.
Speaker 2: Will they move to natural grass next year?
Speaker 5: That's a great question.
Speaker 3: I just saw DJ Read, their cornerback, just tweeted about it, said, you know it's time for natural grass. Randall Cobb was pretty vocal in the locker room. I know David Bactiari put some stuff out there last.
Speaker 5: Night on social media.
Speaker 3: I mean that I think that's an NFL question more than the Jets even right that stadium has a lot of use between the two football teams.
Speaker 5: There's concerts there constantly.
Speaker 3: I'm not smart enough about turf and grass to know how that works, but I got to think it'd be difficult to maintain that field.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: ESPN last night highlighted what the transition that field that went under. I think there was concerts there. There was sold out concert there Thursday, sold out concert, their Friday Giants game, Sunday night, Jets game Monday night. That's an incredible amount of use for a field then, and so I I'm not sure grass can sustain that, you know, So I don't know if they can do that.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, we're talking to Brian Costello, covers the Jets for the New York Post. Just trying to figure out the recovery time for Aaron Rodgers, factoring in he's going to turn forty in December of coming back from an achilles. Have you had any information on that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little bit. I think you know. The way I understand this is surgery is immediate. It'll be like this week. It's not.
Speaker 3: It's not like an acl where you take some time before the surgery. So I think his surgery, I think he'd be able to probably throw sometime in the spring, and then you know, he'd be able to come back. I think next season's week one, so I think it's about it. You know, it's about a year usually they come back. The question is Dan, he's gonna be forty years old in December. It's a tough rehab, and does he want to Is he gonna want to undergo that rehab?
Speaker 5: You know, you got to think is he going to not want to go out like this?
Speaker 3: This is a tough way. He's, you know, obviously a very prideful guy. I got to think he he's not gonna want the end of his career to be like this. But it's a hard road back.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. Thanks for joining us, Brian, Thanks Dan. Brian Costello, New York Post beat writer for the Jets. Yeah, you got to factor that in the age and then do you want to go through this? You don't want to go out this way, but do you want to put in all that time to try to come back from something like this?
Speaker 10: Yes, and that they really hit it right there on the head with the stadium turf versus grass thing. It's the problem is grass is better for the players, but bad for business. Business around the game. Yeah, you know, and unfortunately, you know, like Bruce Springsteen coming to town once a year is going to be more important than Aaron Rodgers staying healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's bizarre as that sounds. A couple of phone calls in here, Paul and Iowa, Good morning, Paul, woulds on your mind?
Speaker 15: Hey Dan, this reminds me of when I was in high school track. We had a coach in his mid thirties that thought he could just walk on and play pick up ball with does and he popped that thing so quick and was on a scooter for the rest of the season. I think that the Jets did a bad job of not ramping Rogers up at his age. He only had eight pass attempts in one game of the preseason. He needs to be ready for game speed, and they kept him on the sideline too much. He wasn't ready for the first real rollout.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, if you look at the play and the defender and how he hits Rogers and you could see where there's a bend in his leg. I don't think that had anything to do about preseason reps and if Rogers bawled out last night, I don't think anybody's calling said he should have played in the preseason. It's easy to say that after the fact. It was just a fluke injury, and that's usually what achilles injuries are. Fluke.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's see Andrew and Washington. Hi Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Good morning, Dan Dennis. Thanks for taking my call. I agree with you fluke injury, but it will take more than a fluke for him to come back at his age. You know, what is the incentive besides money? He's got so many other ventures and interest. I know his competitive use is still there, but it takes a lot to come back. And then what is he going to accomplish in that last year just to go out on his own terms? What if that ends up being the worst season that he's had in his career and so he has to walk away. I just don't see how this turns out well for him. It's just so hard to come back from an achilles at a young age, let alone add about fifteen years to the average age of an NFL player. So I agree with you. I'd also have a Tuesday trivia question for the room. All right, all right? Besides Patrick Peterson in twenty eleven and Xavier Gibson last night, who's the only other player in NFL history to return a punt for a touchdown in overtime?
Speaker 2: Not to Shawn Jackson, now DeShawn Jackson.
Speaker 6: Here's a clue. They played for Kansas City.
Speaker 2: Yes, Pauli Tamrick vanover blue blue whoh nice? Thank you Andrew? How about that? That was a Marvin like poll there by, Paula, I.
Speaker 4: Was thinking Dante Hall, who I was cutting between vanners deeper.
Speaker 2: Cut, Yeah, Seth and Iowa Hi, Seth was on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey Dan?
Speaker 16: First off, I missed this the last few times that called six six to eighty, and I got a couple highest size, lowest lows and then a dark horse one too. So Steve Bartman would be up there, I mean on the Virgil winning it and then Moist Salu, Alexandallas all that happened. Then okay, does Bryant the catch that wasn't a catch, and then anytime that you compliment Fritzy and then he blows it immediately.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Seth.
Speaker 4: Yes, Paul I think it's a little apples and orange because there was not an injury. But the twenty eighth with the Falcons, you're celebrating that Super Bowl. There's a point, I think it's maybe five minutes left in the third quarter. You're up twenty eight three, you have a ninety eight percent chance of winning. You're starting to plan your head around parades and things like that. That that for Falcons fans. That has to be similar.
Speaker 2: The highest of highs and then the lowest of blows.
Speaker 4: Apple's and odes to last night but close.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, maybe the Carson Wentz ac of Carson Wentz, Carson Palmer ACL injury. It was like their first home playoff game in forever and early in the first quarter he tears his ACL. They were really good that year him Osho Sinko. Yeah, man, yeah, not at the Air Rodgers level. No, last night was electric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, time for Red Sox.
Speaker 11: Fans, the ball going through Buckner's legs, they're about to finally win the world.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. Highest of pyes, just get a ground out, you're good and then you end up. But the lowest of lows took a couple of days because they lose that game, and then I think I think there was a couple of rain out days before they played Game seven if I remember. All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up. Kyle Brant from Good Morning Football, who has blown out his achilles and al Michaels, who I don't believe has will join us a little bit later on Fritzie, could you check if al Michaels has ruptured his achilles?
Speaker 5: I will explore that.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're just looking for guests who I've experienced achilles injuries here, Kevin Durant, see if he'll join us on the program. Who else would anybody? David Beckham, Dan David Beckham? Sure, absolutely, all right, we'll take a break. Play the days up next. Fall is here and that means one thing. Football season. So you got fun, family, football and kings Hawaiian. Perfect combination for any football get together, Fun, delicious, customizable and shareable. Kings Hawaiian Slider Sunday the perfect weekly meal time ritual to enjoy football Sundays with family and friends. So many great Sliders combinations, but it all starts with kings Hawaiian. Now, if you need a little recipe inspiration, look no further than Kingshwaiian dot Com. How about their quarterback sliders. It's simple beef slider patties, American cheese, pickles, onions, mustard, and ketchup, all prepared on the og. The kings Hawaiian original Sweet role Football Sunday's all about sharing great food, fun and friends and family and football. King Sawaian Sliders Sunday is the only way to Sunday. Go to the bakery or deli section of your local store and pick up those sweet, fluffy, irresistible King Sawaiian roles and enjoy. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's Ben, host of a Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of it. Ben Mathershaw a colt hit overnights on fs R. Why should you listen? Picture if you will a world will we chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing.
Speaker 2: Facts about human nature and more.
Speaker 7: Listen to the fifth Hour with Ben Mather on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast. Oh My God.
Speaker 2: Of the day. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 3: Check this out.
Speaker 1: Jack Wilson drops back love Bleaf for Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 3: One handed text it touchdown, Red Wilson.
Speaker 1: What an unbelievable South temp.
Speaker 5: The one handed.
Speaker 2: Stack Garrett Wilson great grabs had five catches. By the way, Zack Wilson's previous five touchdown passes had gone to tight ends or running backs. The last time he had a touchdown pass to a wide receiver. Go back to Week four last season, Corey Davis. That's courtesy of the Jets Radio Network. That's your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to you by a Legacy Box, the simple and safe way to digitize all your family's precious memories. And by going to legacy box dot com slash Patrick, you can enjoy forty percent off when you get started with legacy Box today. Legacy box dot com slash Patrick Update the poll results if you can Seaton, yeah, we got two of them up.
Speaker 10: All right, the Jets a quarterbacks should stick with what they got or search for something new or someone new. Excuse me, that's at fifty eight percent find a new quarterback. Fifty percent find a new quarterback.
Speaker 4: I got to calm down here for a second. I'm not even a Jets fan. You cannot win the Super Bowl or probably even get to the playoffs, maybe maybe get to the playoffs. With Zach Wilson, you at the very least have to bring in a veteran who could play decent football on that team. At the very least bring in a Colt McCoy or at very least a Nick Fole, someone who's a grown up who could avoid interceptions and let the rest of the roster do their thing. You can't stick.
Speaker 2: Well, he is well considering, you know, Zach Wilson's like, what twenty two or twenty three, you'd be bringing a grown up in who would be like thirty three, and I.
Speaker 4: Mean grown up in the football sense, a guy who knows his role, Like if you brought in let's say you brought in Nick falls. Nick Foles knows I'm here for four months and I can maybe pick up a second Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 2: I think the word for that is veteran. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's another thing. Zach Wilson's not a rookie coach.
Speaker 2: You're gonna go out and sign a grown up, just big boys, big boy table.
Speaker 4: It's a must sign situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The roster. The roster has its flaws. We know that we knew it was going to be their offensive line. So you had a soon to be forty year old quarterback, You have a thirty eight year old tackle in Dwayne Brown. You got Mackay Beckton, who hasn't lived up to his draft hype, and then you know Rogers back there. There were a couple of passes early where it looked like the offensive linemen were trying to cut the defensive lineman. You know, just a quick pass and twice, you know, Rogers almost got sacked one time because he didn't throw the pass, and then the other time he did get sacked, and that was supposed to be a quick pass. So you got everything that you think you need to be a championship caliber team. Go back to last year, they lost their last six games. They were going to be a playoff team. It's hard to lose six in a row, and they did. But as far as moving forward, unless somebody just falls into your lap and you go, we can't pass up this opportunity. I think you got to, you know, go to war with Zach Wilson. I think you got to. Now you have to manage a game with him? For him, where's Aaron Rodgers? You just let him go? This is where you get a defensive minded coach who goes you take care of the offense. I'm over here with the defense and special teams. That's not the case anymore.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark, can Caleb Way have transferre from USC to the Jets?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay? Could he leave early? No he can't, No, he can't.
Speaker 8: Never mind.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thanks was Zach? Now? Thank you? Lucas in Texas, Good morning, Luke. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan? A couple of quick things and then a potential poll question for you. I swore my cough probably a year a half year and a half ago, and you're right, it's like you get kicked. I mean like my son was throwing rocks nearby and my buddy hit me in the leg with a rock. It's a surreal feelings and maybe a closely related high and immediate low is probably tied to last night's game after hard knocks and everything. I would say everyone's view of Zach Wilson as a backup versus everyone's view of Zach Wilson at the start. That's a pretty big high and low right there. Everyone thought really positive about him going through hard knocks, but not now when it's actually on him to show up. But hey, a potential whole question for you is I'm gonna stew negatives in honor of Polly. Who's gotta Who's gotta? Which fan base has a worse outlook for the season, The Giants of the Jets.
Speaker 2: I would say the Jets, because they, you know, winner lose, You had Aaron Rodgers as your quarterback, and you might go down in flames at some point during the season. The Giants looked awful, but their expectation level was it anywhere near what the Jets was. The Giants, it's like, hey, all right, you know, maybe we get back in the playoffs. The Jets were thinking super Bowl. Therefore, being a Jets fan today, you're gonna look out every single game. Now, look out on the field watch on TV and go, what if what if the Giants? You're not you might go what if we didn't sign Danny Dimes? You know, maybe, but you know, the expectation level was certainly not there. Doug in North Carolina, Good morning, Doug. What's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Well, Dan, I'm going to switch scars and talk about something really positive and pleasant. I tried to get through yesterday. It's hard to get through on a Monday. But did you hear about this forty seven yard touchdown in the Michigan game. No, this is the best thing that happened in sports all week. There was a young gentleman, a defensive end for UNLV, who passed away in February. His name, I believe is pronounced Ryan Keeler. He grew up with the Michigan quarterback JJ McCarthy. They've known each other since he was seven years old. They were high school football players. This is going to be a huge game where both of these guys were going to be able to celebrate. And while the announcers are telling this story, and they tell that they mentioned the fact that McCarthy wrote forty seven on his hand. While they're telling this story, McCarthy drops back for pass, throws it to a wide receiver who scampers into the end zone, and you hear Brad Nessler almost in tera saying, with forty seven on his hand, he just threw a forty seven yard touchdown. It is the most moving thing I've seen. It's almost like a scene out of a movie. If you haven't had a chance to watch it, it's all over. Nessler and Gary Danielson did the game. It was far and away the best thing that happened this weekend.
Speaker 2: All thank you, thank you, Joan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, I have another idea for the Jets. I mean that runs past you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: Remember Taylor Heineke, the backup. He's now a backup with Atlanta. You know he's what is he about? Twenty seven years old, twenty nine years old, played pretty well for Washington with a decent team around him. If you're Atlanta, do you say, well, Desmond Ritters are our starter, our future. Let's let's bring up the Jets and see you can get a third round pick for our guy who's not supposed to play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's during the season. That's the hard part. You got to go in and learn this offense. This is Aaron Rodgers offense, and I don't know how many quarterbacks around the NFL have an offense that's similar with you know, same kind of play calling, cadence, timing, all of those things. I think that's that's a tricky part for anybody. Zach Wilson has at least been in these meetings, has at least run these plays. But I mean, I like gritty, gutty Taylor Heineke. I do, But I don't know if I go to if I'm the Jets and I go that, no need to panic, We're going to bring in Taylor Heineke. We're all good, yes, Mark.
Speaker 8: If Zach Wilson wins next week at the Cowboys, oh my goodness, do we put all this to bed.
Speaker 2: It depends on how they win. If they run the football, which I would think they'll probably run the ball thirty five forty times against the Cowboys, and they play good defense, I don't know if we'll go yep, they have solved all their quarterbacking issues. One hour in the books. Kyle Brandt, good Morning Football analyst host, will join us. Coming up next. One more item. As we close that hour, one innovation refunds has been helping small businesses for the last couple of years. Businesses that qualify to get a business payroll tax refund through the Employee Retention Credit also known as the ERC. Now it's a refund not alone. If you're a small business owner and you had five or more employees w two employees in twenty twenty or twenty twenty one, you might be eligible for this tax deduction. Bill Goodman, one of the owners of Ford and Goodman, an accounting firm in Richardson, Texas. He's a CPA, didn't think his business would qualify. Even a CPA like Bill understood how different filing an ERC claim is from doing regular income taxes. But right now, with Innovation Refunds, they will help you with this. Innovation Refunds will work with independent network of tax professionals sharing information, and then they help evaluate and process your claims. Terms and conditions apply. See if you qualify one eight four to three refunds one eight four to three refunds or go to Innovation Refunds dot Com