Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Driving the Great Episode two forty one, where we will try to talk about the WNBA without I mean, I don't know, are you calling people out their name, flipping out saying your people'll know you because of me. We're gonna try to do that. I don't know if it can be done at this point. Really, I don't know. It seems like we have all of a sudden found these sports topic that can't be discussed without people losing their god dog minds. I mean, I understand there are some racial and gender angles to it, but ultimately this is just a sports story that is pretty it's it when you, when you, when you get through all the morass, it's not that complicated. Yet there is a whole lot of projection of people's own stuff being put on what's happening right now in the w NBA, And my, oh my, oh my, is it causing land minds for so many of my colleagues. Demons, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Pretty good? Pretty good? Crazy weekend?
Speaker 2: Crazy weekend. And I mean, and by the way, since this weekend, I think the Indiana Fever have played three more games. My god, who set this schedule? I mean, I understand you want to get eyeballs on Caitlin Clark and shout out. By the way, because according to the folks that monitor this type of stuff, one and a half million people watch that Fever sky game, which makes it the fourth highest rated WNBA game in the last twenty two years. So people are people are into this. So I understand the WNBA saying we got to, you know, put Caitlin Clark on this world tour. But they had played as of Sunday as many games in the previous nine days as the Aces had played all season. Think about that, they had played as many games in nine days. The ace has played all season, so we are the going to start with that. But first we must get to what missed the cut. So here is what missed the cut. The Stanley Cup final is set. More on that in a moment. KD, We're going on his jumper in the club. I just like Kevin Durant Moore and more every day. And the Bills sign an Olympic wrestler Demons much like last year. I have a crisp clean one hundred dollars bill right here. This will become yours digitally, at least via zel. If you can name the two teams in the Stanley Cup final.
Speaker 3: This is Stanley Cup is uh, that's that's hockey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're gonna go with the Oilers, uh huh, and.
Speaker 3: The Oilers against the what's it?
Speaker 4: I honestly don't know another hockey teams.
Speaker 2: Brewers, maybe it's not, it's not okay, you were thinking Bruins.
Speaker 3: Brewers, and it's Ruins.
Speaker 2: That's Ruins. So I was certain you were cheating because Oilers is correct. But the fact that you weren't cheating and got Oilers, it's Oilers, Panthers, the Rangers, it's fifty. You know what, it's fifty. So I'm just gonna rip this right in half and send you the So it's fifty dollars, I'll give it to you. Good job by you. All right to moan say, let's get right to uh, the story that is sweeping the sports world, which is a kind of hard foul. I mean, my god, people everyone take them.
Speaker 4: So Kennedy Carter of the Chicago Sky obviously foul the crab on a Kaitlyn Clark. Yeah, and it's sparked a lot of controversy. People were saying that our teammates didn't back her up. They're complaining about the refie. Kaitlin Clark doesn't seem to make a big deal about it. She seems to be rolling with the punches quite literally. But what are your thoughts? Why is everybody else making a big deal on it?
Speaker 2: Okay, and now there's more to it, which is Angel came out yesterday and said, you know, people aren't watching just because of her. This all start in the National Championship Game a year ago, and and there are so many things happening here that I find wildly fascinating. So what you have is two groups coming colliding and it is creating this vortex of uncomfortable takes. So one group is not familiar with how sports media covers sports and athletes. So that group, for instance, yesterday saw Angel Rees gave a quote where she seemingly ends the quote with you know, they're not just watching because of one person, They're watching because of me too, and the quote end and it's like, wow, well, I mean that's kind of you know, more me than we What about your teammates or about the other rookies. But then she went on immediately after that, if you extend the quote another ten seconds to say, you know, there's a lot of us and talk about the rookie class as a whole, kind of Caitlin excluded, it would appear that's fine, and folks are like, oh my god, look at how you're doing this, black woman misquoting her doing this, And it's like, I listen, there is a lot of race involved here, and we will get to it. But I promise it is not a woman thing or a black thing. It is a sports media thing where if you give the internet and sports aggregators a piece of a quote that can be used against you, it will be used against you that is unfair, It is not great. It is why you have to be very careful of the sports media aggregation site or accounts. But that is not unique to aim. That is simply unique to social media and how sports are covered. You then have so there's this this these folks who don't really know how the sports media sausage is made, that think things are being wildly things are wildly unfair, which they might be wildly unfair, but it's kind of just how sports are covered in twenty twenty four. Then you have a group of people that feel like, in my opinion, I should basically be able to have any opinion on this topic, and you should thank me for having an opinion on the topic, because I usually don't talk about this topic. So the fact that I'm talking about it means if you're criticizing me for talking about it, you're in the wrong because I should just be getting credits and plaudits and flowers for talking about it. And those two groups are gonna rip each other upon and I'm a stand on the sideline and says, it just seems to me like something we have seen before in sports. Now again, there is a clear racial dynamic to this that must be acknowledged. So I'll do that before we even get to the part that I've seen in sports before, which is there is a fraud racial history between the WNBA players at large and the media and sponsors of the league. That is, this is a overwhelmingly black league that a wildly disproportionate amount of its most famous players ever have been white players. What is also true, if we are being honest, is if if you were to say what percentage of the w is black? And got that number, and then got and what percentage is white? And then said, okay, of the twenty greatest players ever, what percentage is black? What percentage is white? For reasons that are I would imagine quite complex, and I have some theories on but I don't really have time or interest to get into them right now. There is a disc compared to the league as a whole, there is a disproportionate amount of the greatest players of all time that are white women, and so there is a weird So that is true. What also is true is amongst the greatest players of all time, the white women have seen his seemed historically to been marketed and pushed and gotten more media love than the black women, which is why Paige Becker's a few years ago at the SPI's I thought, gave an amazing speech when she won Female Athlete of the Year, when she essentially got up there and said when she was playing at Yukon before she tore up her knee, saying, hey, I appreciate all of this, but this is a league that has been mostly built by black women, and people that look like me consistently get these awards, and we need to be aware of that and try to maybe right those wrongs moving forward. Even though Paige Beckers was deserving of the award and one of the baddest college basketball players of her era before she got hurt and this new group of players came along. And by the way, Page is still one of the great college basketball players. She played Caitlin in the Final four. That was the push off game, the bad foul call at the end of the game or the illegal screen I think it was. And she'll, you know, and she'll continue to be awesome next year. So there is all of that going on here, right, And that is real. It is real that Caitlin being portrayed as the conquering hero, an angel being portrayed as the villain. Last year in college basketball, even though Angels team won, there was a lot of race to that you cannot act like the LSU team overwhelmingly black Bayou Barbie Flage who's a rapper, and then the mostly lily white Iowa team that there wasn't racial dynamics of play. Of course there were, and we can be adults and acknowledge it. We could just like, by the way, and I think that Gabe Goodwin, our esteemed head of Blue Duck who runs this podcast, I'll give you a cross sport, cross gender example. Once upon a time, Peyton Hillis was on the cover of Madden, and I bring up Gabe because I think it was his fault for reasons I don't totally remember. I think Sports Nation was involved, I think was I think it was Gabe's fault. I blame Gabe for this. But the reason Peyton hillis a slightly above average running back for the Cleveland Browns on the cover of Madden, it's because he's a white running back and it was cool and it was an odd of the And here is the other thing that I that maybe because Demon's ay. So here's my theory on this. I think that maybe this that I am. I think I am kind of in the ultimate place of privilege when it comes to talking about these topics, because I don't feel an additional pressure if I were black. I think there is an understandably pressure And tell me if you agree or disagree with me on this. I think there is a pressure on black commentators that, man, there is so much obvious racism in the world and in sports and everywhere that when a racial topic comes up, I don't want to be I don't want to seemingly be adding to it or be on the wrong side of it because I have an important responsibility or voice in the space. Like does that I'm not explaining that exactly right? Does that?
Speaker 4: But does what I'm saying make that makes sense? So you think that's stay in the middle kind of.
Speaker 2: Well, I and I think I so. I so I am in a unique spot because and then I think there's also white commentators who are trying, you know, at times trying to pander and at times just you know, obviously overtly on the wrong side of these issues. Black commentators on the wrong side of these issues sometimes too. I am just so confident that, eh, I don't think anyone's ever I think there are a lot of things at one point I will be unfairly accused of. I don't think being racially tone deaf, and I don't think being bigoted when it comes to race or not seeing the different levels of it. I'm just not worried about it. I think I have my entire life's body of work and track record, and I think I also don't have that additional pressure, like internal pressure because I am a white guy talking about this stuff. So I just I recognize that's something of a place of privilege, but I just kind of call it how I see it, and I see a lot of race involved here, and people seem to be stubbing their toe on that curb, which is preventing them to getting to the obvious thing that is happening amongst the players, which is this girl is richer than all of us, more famous than all of us, is getting more pub and attention than all of us, and she's a white girl. And you know what, that's bullsh We Our team beat her team in the National Championship game, and she got is the one that became super famous. With all that said, it's not because the it is the other piece of it is she is the best of all the rookies. She's the best of the draft class. She's the best of the gods basketball players. Last year she was the best. So it is when Lebron James got drafted before even drafted him, when the Calves won the do you know what I'm gonna talk about here? Demon say you're left. So here's the thing. The Calves win the draft lottery. They have Ricky Davis and Darius Miles on the team. The yes and those guys are like, yeah, man, Lebron can help ride our wave. You know what I mean, he can ride our bandwagon. You know, I don't think a high school kid's gonna come in and make a big difference. But we'll see. Those were his teammates, you know why, because he had just gotten an eighty million dollars deal from Nike that nobody was talking about the Calves. The Calves are like, damn it, this is bs. We're better than him, were older than him, were more established than him, and there was legitimate jealousy from his own teammates. Now, fortunately we didn't have to deal with the extra level of race on this one because it was all black guys in the discussion. I can only imagine that would have been of all of the Lebron's stuff. Well, that's an interesting nat Lebron's entire career as exact identical, except he's a white dude. I wonder how so many things would be different, But it wasn't there. That's that's not complicated. Rookie hazing is not complicated, and hard thousand sports are not complicated. Now, is it interesting that Aliah Boston didn't immediately come to Caitlyn Clark's aid? Yeah, it is. That is interesting. It's noteworthy. Is it interesting that Angel stood and applauded, Yeah, that's interesting. I don't think she likes Caitlin guess what, she's not supposed to. And this whole idea that everyone should be like fetting Caitlin Clark the other competitors, like, oh, we're all gonna make more money thanks to you, We're all getting all these accouterment. There's that word again, thanks to you. That is not how athletes work. We would never say that about male athletes, never, And people might say, oh, well, you know.
Speaker 3: Don't you think like.
Speaker 4: To like keep it within the parameters of the game. Though, like the foul that the grow issued to Caitlin Clark was just like, I mean.
Speaker 3: I think you got a flare one for it or whatever, but I think it's like a different level of hate, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing that was out of bounds, but it wasn't wildly out of bounds. Flavorant one is what you should get, not you know, more than a regular foul, not enough to be thrown out of the game. Now, do I think the refs missed the boat by not issuing it immediately? Instead I'd be issued retroactively, sure, But that wasn't like and going making the rounds yesterday? Was Candace Parker what she dealt with as a rookie in the big giant melee that happened between her team and the Detroit team when she was a rookie. Guys, So I don't I don't look an Angel got fouled like that last week and nobody gave h And I understand Angel's frustration with this. I also And so this is again where race must be acknowledged. The Chicago Tribune again, the newspaper in Chicago. That's where the Chicago sky obviously are from Angels team in the editorial, they about that foul. They they say, and I quote the foul committed by Chicago skyguard Kennedy Carter was egregious. Outside of a sporting contest, it would have been seen as an assault. Pipe down, folks. You know what's also an assault outside of a sporting contest, A box out, a contest on a layup, shut up? And that that is race, right. The only thing that gets people all of a sudden flocking to we must protect this woman is a white woman in distress, particularly if it's a non white person putting her in distress. That is race. And like, I just feel like we should be able to hold multiple thoughts in our head at once. And I do want to go back to the basketball piece of it because I like Angel and I have supported Angel. I you and I had a whole thing on this show when she talked about what she had been going through. I think I was in comparison to some of the other members of sports media. I think I saw that for what it was better than most and I really like Angel. So this is the say it again flip flopping. No, I'm not flip flopping. I'm not, but I am going to make.
Speaker 3: You flopping on her stance, and I don't even know that she's.
Speaker 2: Listen. I think it's here's the thing on that before I give what I was gonna say it. Folks say they want to be a villain. Nobody does. The only person in the last decade in sports that I've seen that truly wants to be the villain. Do you know who I'm gonna say to No, No, because he plays the victim. He plays. He says he wants to be the villain. But then he's like, you guys are trying to make it so I'm broken when I'm older. No, Beverly plays the victim too. Dylan Brooks plays the victim all these guys. Beverly's like, you don't know what they said to me. I shouldn't have thrown the ball, but you don't know what they said. Dylan Brooks has like, call me Dylan the villain. Then he's like, it's a media construct. There is only one person who actually wants to be the villain. Luca. Luca actually wants to be the villain. He wants to go in your building, tell you to go bleep yourself, swagger, do all of it. Everyone else wants to pick and choose when they're the villain, right, and it's hard. Lebron tried it for a whole year and then was like, that was miserable. I don't want to do that anymore. Okay, So that's not what I was gonna say. What I was gonna say is this my advice.
Speaker 3: Really does not look at social media at all with that good Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I means too, he's too much you know, hookahs smoking his eyes. Yeh ah. Here's my vice, Angel Reese. On the basketball court, if you want there to be less attention on Caitlin and more on you, you need to play better. Sorry, it's gotta be better. There is not there is. Angel Reese was an outstanding championship level college basketball player who went seventh in the w NBA Draft. About where she should have gone. Maybe at this point you can say she should have gone fourth or fifth. She is having, in my opinion, the second best rookie season. Some would say Cameron Brinks having the second best rookie season, second or third. But there is a wide gap between what she's doing and what Caitlyn's doing, just like there is a wide gap between what she what Caitlyn is doing and every other.
Speaker 3: Rookie, Yeah, nice, five more points on more games.
Speaker 2: Well so, right so, And Caitlin's biggest weakness right now is the turnovers are bad. But that was also a problem in college, so I think that's just gonna be a problem. But Caitlyn right now, it's like, oh, she's shooting thirty five percent from the field and thirty percent from three Well, angels forward shooting thirty five percent from the field, and so she is going through rookie struggles just like Caitlyn is. The Caitlin's numbers this year fifteen and a half points, five rebounds, six assists on thirty five thirty splits. Angel who's been the second best rookie is ten and a half points per game, nine rebounds, two assists on thirty five percent from the field. Cameron Brank who's been, you know, the second or third best rookie, nine points, five rebounds to assist on forty seven percent from the field and really good defense. And then Riquia Jackson ten ten points per game, three rebounds, no assists because she's a big on forty nine percent from the field. Thing is this, if folks want to make the argument that Caitlin Clark is getting undue attention. Somebody in her rookie class got to go out there and out player and that hadn't happened, just hadn't. And that is again, that's a sports conversation. And I'm not gonna act like I had this kind I set everything exactly perfectly here and that And also, by the way, we should wait and see how Camilla Cardosa ends up looking. She's only one game after missing the beginning of the season. Uh. In our first game she played really well eleven and six on five to seven from the field, So we'll see how, you know, how she does. But the fact the matter is, guys, there is a what is so cool about this is we have another sport now that enough people are following that it is a national conversation. And I implore folks who have been following the WNBA for years, don't be WNBA hipsters. Please don't be the fan of the band that loved it before it, you know, was going on worldwide tours. And then she towards the new fans and gate keyp and be like, well, if you weren't here shooting with me in the gym, guys. It's better the sport growing is better for everyone. Okay, I do ask that. I also ask the Johnny Cume latelies, and I think I am a cross between the two groups. I think I obviously watched and followed more WNBA than the average person, but that's because I'm in sports for a living. But I also was not you know, I knew enough about the WNBA that last year I placed a very significant bet before the season started on the Aces to win the title, and I placed a very small bet on the Aces to go undefeated for the season, but not enough to act like I am. You know that I'm a WNBA League Pass subscriber, and I am I've never talked about it on the TV show side from maybe a segment or two and seven years until this rookie class headlined by Caitlin. So I'm a bit of both, right, But I beg just like I don't want the folks who were always fans to gatekeep, I would like the folks who are new to the party to not act as if A they are experts on everything WNBA related, and B please do not act like everyone needs to give us credit because we arrived at the party there is this weird thing going on where it is like, well, now that I am talking about your sport, I am doing you a favor, and therefore I should be above criticism for my takes on it. Na man, Just like I said when when Diana Tarazi during the NCAA tournament, I thought had I thought had a bad take on Caitlin and the WNBA. By the way, Diana looks like she might have been more right than I was on that, and what I said was a bad take. It looks like maybe I was wrong and she was right. It is in battle, and I said, and I disagreed with Diana's take, And it felt like a lot of people disagreed with it, but were almost afraid to say they disagreed with it the way they would if it were Kendrick Perkins discussing Victor winbin Yama. It's like, no, man, that everybody's everybody's grown here. Everybody can find for themselves to a degree. We don't need to be overly protective of Caitlyn Clark. She's a badass, fierce competitor that also, despite a grueling schedule, seemingly not a very good team and massive scrutiny is handling herself. Fine, I say, seemingly not a very good team, Tom take it's the number one pick them back to back years or two and nine because like you said, But let me, let me give one other prediction that I know is gonna end up being a classic Category two. Caitlyn Clark from this moment forward is gonna have Banana's numbers. So here's why. So they have had multiple back to backs. They have played eleven games. No other team's played more than nine. The Aces have played six. Because of that, the rest of the way here, they don't have a single back to back. They have massive So they play on the seventh, the tenth, the thirteenth, the sixteenth, the nineteenth, twenty first, twenty third, twenty seventh, thirtieth, second, sixth, tenth, twelfth, fourteenth, seventeenth, then a month off because of the Olympics, an Olympic team that we don't know if Caitlin Clerk's gonna make or not, and then again in September and August, a relatively light schedule compared to the field because they already had their tough part, so they're gonna have more rest. They also have already played. You play the Liberty four times, They've played them three already. The Liberty might be the second best team in the league. You play Connecticut four times, They've played them twice already. Connecticut's a top three team in the league. So the schedule is gonna get softer. She's got her legs underneath her, she's gonna have more rest, and she's gonna ball out. And by the way, I hope the rest of the rookie class does as well. I'm rooting for all these girls, but we've gotta be able to acknowledge. Of course, there is a racial dynamic here. Of course, there is a very typical jealousy dynamic here that would exist no matter the races, but is heightened because of the racial dynamics here. And of course there is just some sports competitiveness here, which is Angel Reese thinks she's better. She beat her in the National Championship than Caitlin got her get back the next year but didn't win the National championship. And Angel they are going to be rivals, and that is great for the sport. All right? Did I manage to do that without saying I made anyone famous or calling anyone a bitch I think I did? Wow? Did that get me a medal for it? Quick break? Right back? What's right? All right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right? All right? And after a nice half hour on the WNBA and racial and gender dynamics in America and a little slight media criticism, I suppose let's get right to the NBA Finals. De Monse, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we are just a few days away from your large Slovenian son being able to prove prove you correct, back up all those words you've been speaking for the last couple of weeks. It's weird because Boston's at minus two twenty this is not very weird, and Dallas at plus twenty five to win the series.
Speaker 3: Do you think Vegas has that wrong?
Speaker 4: You know, considering the path that the Mavericks had to take to get there and the Boston Celtics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I do. I do think Vegas has this wrong. This would be the third biggest finals upset since the merger. The biggest upset famously four Pistons over the Lakers. The second biggest upset a weird one, the nineteen Raptors over the Warriors. But Katie popped his achilles Clay blew out his knee, so that one, I don't want to say, you can throw it out, but that's wasn't a traditional upset, you know what I mean, like the unless you think the Raptors were gonna beat the full strength Warriors. And then this fact of the matter is this, since the trade deadline, the MAVs have had the best events in basketball, and with this starting lineup, they have played this year on a sixty five win pace, which is what the Celtics played all year, a sixty four to sixty five win pace. So I do think that this series is relatively even. And if it's relatively even and one team has an all time legendary player and the other team has Jason Tatum, then I'm gonna go with the team.
Speaker 3: Don't I think this series is relatively even? Or did you say it is?
Speaker 2: I said, I do. I do think the series is. I do think the series is relatively even. I think their regular season records would say it's not sixty four wins versus fifty wins. But I don't look at the MAVs as that team. I look at the MAVs as the team they were once they got Gafford and PJ and once Lively you know what I mean, got more reps in his rookie season. So I just and early in the season they dealt without having Kyrie. I just really like the MAVs in this spot and maybe all end up being wrong and everyone people are now. Yesterday the internet got mad at Zach Lowe for saying I thought something obvious, which is Jason Tatum is somewhere between the six to seventh eighth the best player in basketball. That is not an indictment, It is just the truth that now, can you win the title with that? Yeah? Is it super rare? Yes? So like I now, does the best player always win? No? If that were the case, Lebron be ten for ten in the finals, So obviously, Well, I think that's a little you know, that doesn't always work with team sports, but it does work more often than not. In the NBA, however, I typically if the other teams got demonstrably and clearly the best player, you need to have massive team advantage. And Vegas thinks the Celtics do. I do not. I think that there is a huge gap between Luca and Tatum. I think there is, right now a minimal gap between Brown and Kyrie. Now, the next three best players in the series are Celtics Chris STAPs, Drew and Derek White, But the next three best players after that are MAVs in PJ. Gafford and uh Lively. I'm leaving somebody out the Oh yeah, Derek Jones Junior could be on there, but the that's right, and so the and then you add to it what to me is a pretty clear and maybe Celtics fans disagree with me here, coaching advantage for the Mavericks and the fact that the Celtics have been hit or miss at home while the MAVs have been absolute killers on the road. And I like the MAVs in this spot and so well, I think plus one eighty five is crazy. I also think it's very on the board Boston wins Game one, which is why I might wait to bet the series, because if it's plus one eighty five right now, it'll be like plus three hundred or plus two sixty after Boston wins Game one if they win Game one. But I also might just pull the trigger on bet it beforehand. But I'm going to roll with this being Luca's moment and that I don't think the Boston crowd is going to get to Kyrie, but I do think the Boston crowd is going to get Luca going. I think the Boston crowd going after Luca, is going after Kyrie is going to be good for Luca. I am curious, Demons, however, your feelings going into this finals versus two years ago when your Celtics were playing the Warriors. And I have other questions Celtics related for you, but your feelings going into the finals since the Celtics are your team.
Speaker 4: A lot more comfortable with them going into the into the series against the Mavericks. This is the one team out of the West, like I would have been more afraid to play Minnesota, and the Mavericks are uh. I mean they're coming off they had to play the Timberwolves, who openly came out and said that they were tired.
Speaker 3: Celtics aren't tired. Celtics are deeper.
Speaker 4: I think that I think that the Celtics can get this done in six.
Speaker 3: Just way too deep.
Speaker 4: Kyrie and Kyrie and Luca I don't think are going to be enough to win in a seven game series.
Speaker 3: I think it's just too much.
Speaker 4: I think that the hookah and the cigarettes will catch up to Luca something. And this is your furthest lucas ever been obviously, right, Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he made the conference finals two years ago. But this is for everyone on the as this except for Kyrie, this is their first finals. Meanwhile, for everyone on the Celtics except for Chris STAPs, they've been here before, right, right, And so I do think that plays too in your favor to a degree. Actually I don't was out. I don't think Al Horford's been here before, but he's played in a million playoff games because he was with the Celtics and then left and then came. Oh no, he was there too, he was worsh You're right, because he was there, then left to Philly, then came back when they played for the season. So yeah, everyone but Chris STAPs essentially has been there. Drew hasn't been there with Boston, but he's been there with Milwaukee obviously. Uh, here's the gosh it. I was gonna ask you another question.
Speaker 3: Another question, but real quickly.
Speaker 2: You you mentioned Luke and Kyrie won't be enough. One thing that would be a little concerning for me for boss if I'm Boston. As this, the MAVs did beat the Thunder with Kyrie averaging sixteen points per game. So they beat the number one seed in the West in six games and could have won that thing in five and Kyrie was, you know, sixteen points a game in that series. Now do they need Luca to be brilliant? Obviously, but Luca is looking healthier as the playoffs go on. And that is my biggest prediction of this series is you demons are gonna leave midway through this series. Have a visceral dislike for Luca from the whining and the preening and the screaming and.
Speaker 4: On alert for his he Christ he cries, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He does after a after getting calls to not just after not getting calls. He gets angry when he gets calls, when he doesn't get calls, the whole nine. What's your other question? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Uh, do you think that Luca will leave this series the villain that he wants to be or you think he wants to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a bab I like that. That's Luca's bane with a hookah. Yeah. I mean I think he is. I think he is going to be this, I mean absolutely hated by the Celtic crowd and I can't wait for it. What's your next follow up?
Speaker 3: If you think that Boston will win the finals?
Speaker 4: Is it a smart is a smart bet to bet Tatum at minus one fifteen or Brown at plus six fifty for finals?
Speaker 3: MVP?
Speaker 2: Oh, listen if those odds, I like Brown way way way better. Now, I am curious Who's who's going to have I get that, go ahead, go.
Speaker 3: No, I get that.
Speaker 4: I understand that. I was just like with with I think if the if the Celtics win the finals, it won't be because Jalen Brown was the best player.
Speaker 2: Well, he just won conference finals MVP. Now, maybe listen, you might be right.
Speaker 4: But I also don't know what's going on with Jason Tatum, but I think he's gonna turn it on at some point.
Speaker 2: Well, and he was good in the conference finals, to be clear, It just Jalen Brown hit the shot that forced overtime in Game one, and their numbers were christ and he was more efficient. I am curious, though, who's go We'll talk about this more on Thursday. Who's gonna be Luca's primary defender because Drew is not big enough. It's gonna have to be Tatum or Brown and whomever it is that is going to take a lot out of them energy wise on the offensive end. Now, he'll probably hunt you know, switches and stuff anyway, but that'll be interesting to see. I also think, you know, we'll talk about him more on Thursday. How Kristaps is gonna look when he comes back is one of the biggest storylines of this series. All right, let's move on because we have Thursday. We'll do like an all finals show on Thursday. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So Justin Jefferson just signed a record one hundred and forty million.
Speaker 4: Dollar extension with Minnesota. So that's very similar to Jordan Poole money. So obviously Justin Jefferson he's he's the best wide receiver in the league. So I might say, so you got to give him that money. But if for you, isn't it great to have, like, you know, a team like the Chiefs who doesn't have to go out there and spend all that money for a wide receiver? Is what?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But they nobody here's the thing, nobody else has Mahomes. So I understand, and Justin Jefferson deserves the money. But I do think that we and I've talked about it on this pod before and I will continue to We are going to reach something of a market correction. College football keeps producing ready to go wide receivers and they are producing less ready to go offensive and defensive linemen. So I think you are going to see maybe not for Justin Jefferson caliber players, but for that next caliber wide receiver, the really good guy. But isn't you know, top five in the league. Smart teams say we can get eighty five percent of that production by a guy in the draft for ten percent of the salary. We're just not paying. We are not. The Chiefs have basically said we're gonna draft and develop wide receivers in corners because that's what college football is producing, and we are going to pay our offensive and defensive lineman along with the quarterback. Wild's had an interesting thought, which was, under the current salary cap structure, can you basically just have fifty million dollars for your quarterback and your wide receiver one and split it up as you see fit. So like for the Vikings, you know you have Justin Jefferson on the rookie deal, I'm sorry, on the record setting deal. And then a rookie quarterback for the Dolphins. Right now, you have Tyreek and Waddle on these crazy deals, but they haven't paid to a yet. The Cowboys have Dak on this huge deal waiting to pay CD. Maybe when they pay CD, do they then not bring back Dak. The Bills, Josh Allen makes a ton of money. They trade Stefan Digs the Chiefs. All the money goes to Mahomes, they draft receivers. It is an interesting thought by Wilde that I didn't really I hadn't really considered on that level, but I now the Eagles are trying to do everything. Pay Davante, pay aj and pay Jailen Hurts, but they're kind of borrowing a lot from the future. The Niners. You paid Debo, you seem hesiten to pay Ayuk and Purdy makes nothing, and so I get why the Vikings would do it, But I also think some of these wide receiver contracts are not gonna age. Well, all right, let's play a quick game of this or that.
Speaker 4: Uh, yes, it's time for this or that. We got Bears hard Knocks, huge pool of them. Caleb Williams and the Bears will be featured on Hard Knocks this year. The NFL putting Caleb in the spotlight right away is genius or too soon?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think it's genius. I think he's charismatic. I think he'll be excellent. I think that he will become instantaneously another star of the league. So I think I love it. I think it's great. Next.
Speaker 4: No better team for that right New York's After the Rangers were eliminated. New York men's sports teams have now gone to combined one hundred seasons without a championship. But you've got a nice graphic up there for those questioning on YouTube.
Speaker 2: But that's good.
Speaker 4: But they still have Jalen Brunson. New York Sports is hopeless or hopeful?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think it's hopeful because the Knicks just had their best season in my opinion, in a quarter century. The Rangers, it seems like we're good in The Yankees might win the World Series this year, so I think hopeful. Next.
Speaker 4: Dallas is having a great year for sports. The Rangers won the World Series, the Stars made the Conference finals in the NHL, and the MAVs are in the NBA Finals. Uh So what about Dallas? Cowboys will join the party soon or never?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not gonna be soon. I don't want to say never, but it would be later rather than soon. The Cowboys are in the midst of you know, they kind of took their shot with the way decks.
Speaker 3: Kind of feel like.
Speaker 2: Never's not that. So then I guess that soon. So the I guess, I'll say, I guess, I'll say soon. No, I'm not. I don't have to pick one. The answer is later. It's there there is. The answer is not never, but it's also not soon.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want to be clipped.
Speaker 4: Yesay on TV, you said your top five quarterbacks in the NFL A Mahomes, Alan, Burrow, and Stroud.
Speaker 3: With the fifth spot up in the air.
Speaker 4: Nick's fifth best quarterback is Lamar Jackson or Justin Herbert is none of the above.
Speaker 2: I'd probably go kale it. But if you guys don't want me to put a rookie, I'll say Stafford. Uh and so. And I know people think I'm being disrespectful to Lamar. I'm just being honest.
Speaker 4: Sorry, And the game you're not picking either, then you just went outside of this or that.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sorry you guys.
Speaker 3: Last one.
Speaker 2: Put Justin Herbert on there instead of Matt Stafford. That's not my fault. Put a better name, or put Trevor all right.
Speaker 4: Next, Syricus alumni Crmelo Anthony is joining the ownership group for an expansion of the basketball team in Australia. You said it as part of a journey to one day becoming an NBA owner. Could your fates be intertwined? Nick will be an Avid fan or a general manager?
Speaker 2: Avid fan, I got. I had an opportunity to become a part of owner ship group of lower level Italian basketball team that I could have kind of been part of the general manager front office, you know, kind of group four. I don't know if I told you about this to months it's like eighteen months ago, but I didn't have and I thought I would want to do it, but then I thought about it. I didn't have the time to like, actually, you know what I mean, I'm not gonna be scouting like lower level international prospects. I just wasn't and so I, uh, maybe in another life, yeah, it was cool and I probably should have followed up on it more than I did, but I didn't. And in another life maybe, but right now I just just Avid fan, all right? Next?
Speaker 4: All right, So it took Jason kelce less than three months in retirement to start picking fights. And his first enemy is big soap, so he's got a thing against.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jason Kelsey wrote, all of you have been fed diabolical lies. Washing every crevice of your bodies and hair all the same all the time is somehow better or healthier. Any dermatologists not in bed with big soap will agree hot spots are all that's necessary and actually leads to cleaner, healthier skin. This is really a I'm gonna go ahead and say we started the show talking race, we might end the show talking race. This is also a too Americas thing. This is there are real There is a real racial dichotomy about how often you need to you know, scrub like your calves versus whether or not when you're in the shower, as Jason Kelcey put it, you wash hotspots and just kind of let soap and water and gravity take care of the rest.
Speaker 4: It is go ahead, demanse So the Jason Kelcey are big so was that this or that? But that's not something that you want to hear from a guy like Jason.
Speaker 2: Kelsey in a big football player. Listen, he's not saying he's not showering. What he's saying is is he is washing directly his underarms and his you know, genitals, and that the rest of it, ah, soap and water will take care of itself. And what I'm telling you is, I don't think Jason Kelcey is the only person out there with that opinion. I do think that happens to be more of an opinion held in the white community than the non white community. I also think that Jason Kelcey one of the there are certain things like there's also like a real racial division about do you just use the bar of soap to clean yourself or do you use a washcloth or washt owl. There's a lot of things that again we don't talk about it, Like I'm not talking about how I shower, how I bathe because I understand better than Jason Kelcey. There's certain things better just keep to yourself. It's just no wins in this. There's just no there's no upside in this. And but it was. I think Jason Kelsey has taken a lot of arrows for an opinion. A lot of people share, but they're not brave enough to say it. I'm not saying where I stand. I've also been married to your mother for fifteen year of married eleven years with your mother fifteen years, so I maybe have adjusted whatever my potential previous bathing habits were. Who knows. All I know is it's no one's damn business. Quick break, get to your questions next? What's right? Hey, welcome back in What's right with think? Right? Demondsey, We're back. We didn't even know it. We weren't paying attention. All right, Let's get to the listener questions right now? Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Uh rap, I knew you were gonna say, Luca is a villain. Come on, man, talking about how everybody else is a victim, but somehow not Luca. Luca's top three winners in the league, always winers in the league. Sorry, playing always playing victim.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, I think Luca whinds to the refs a lot. I do not think he plays victim to the media. That's what I was talking about. Those other guys play victim to the media, Luca doesn't. Luca on the courts, always whining, but he wants to be the villain. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I think there is a curve when you consider that Lucas like he's he's he's formed, like I don't want to. I guess it sounds kind of weird, but he's not. I don't think he was like brought up in like the the Hales, like the way media and sports is done over here. So I think he's still a giant baby, but he's just a foreign giant baby.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 2: Okay. I listen see he winds to the refs on the court, but he is I don't think he plays victim in the post game press conference or off the court. Just my opinion. All right, let's go to Kevin Gillan.
Speaker 4: Kevin Gillen said Demonse needs his new shades. If Nick doesn't pony up soon, the comment section is going to pass the hat for a pair of pit vipers.
Speaker 2: So I looked up what pit vipers are Demonse google pit viper sunglasses because I didn't know what those were called. I didn't know that that's what those were. I don't even know what to compare them to. I think they're like the sunglasses Hulk Hogan used to wear, like in.
Speaker 3: The eighties, oh, late eighties.
Speaker 2: Or early nineties, and I think some baseball players wear them. I don't think those would look good on Demonse. I don't think those are really his. Look, I do need to get you a pair of nisee shades though, that part's true. All right, let's go to Eric Hua.
Speaker 3: I thought you had them and like you just hadn't given them.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, this guy, this guy is saying, oh, class, yeah, oh I do have You're right, no, no, no, I actually do have them. That parts I wasn't even thinking about it. That part is I do have them, I just haven't given them to you.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, So Eric, who has said I understand it's more compelling to talk about what if the Celtics lose? But are the other talking points for if they win? Or is it more of a what missed the cut?
Speaker 2: No, if they win, we'll spend a lot of time on it. The I don't and I think we're gonna I think leading the TV show with a discussion about that today. I don't think they're going to win. And I have not been that interested in their meandering walk to the finals through three okay teams without their best player. I know people are might Celtics fans might not like that. Sorry, I just haven't been and so, uh will let's see how the series plays out. I promise if they're winning, they will get their credit. But right now, I'm just not that interesting in it. I'm just not and I don't think they're gonna win, all right.
Speaker 4: Next Negative four and two asked who would benefit most from a finals MVP, Luca, Kyrie or Tatum.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tatum would benefit the most from it because he would then say what more do you want from me? Guys? So Tatum would benefit the most from it. But I I think from a legacy perspective, it is no Tatum. Actually the answers Tatum, because I think Luca gets one eventually. Oh we had pit vipers on set. What are the odds of that? Wow? Maybe those shades? Well, I mean that's unbelievable. Maybe those shades? All right, demontic reed, go to one hundred overall question.
Speaker 3: A hunter overall, Batman, bron what a name?
Speaker 4: A question for Nick? What exactly does Lamar? What exactly does Lamar need to do to be a top five quarterback?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, not every single year of the worst game of his season in the playoffs? Sorry, wait, what did you say? Is like?
Speaker 3: What did you say?
Speaker 2: Every year of his career. He has had his worst game of the season in the playoffs every single year of his career. Sorry, I mean he score more than ten points in a home conference championship game. I don't know. I like Lamar, I root for Lamar. If I'm being honest, Do I think he's one of the five best quarterbacks in football? I don't. All right, Next last question, Joel Penfield.
Speaker 4: Joel Penfield said, Nick, I need a vibe check on your thoughts on the Royals. Big stretch of games coming up.
Speaker 2: Huge stretch. Gotta take two out of three from the Guardians. We had lost six of seven. It looked like we were gonna be slumping going into the biggest series of the year. And then that amazing ninth inning on Sunday got us going in the right direction with two run comeback against the Padres. Now we got to take two out of three against the Guardians and stay within spitting distance of the Ale Central. All right, great show, Great job, demons. I'll see you guys on Thursday for a finals gambling show. What's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demand another plaque, so like, subscribe, rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,