Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Come that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edo State.
Speaker 2: Is that woo whoom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name, as always is ty Hildebrand. Joining me over there on the eastern shores of the solid verbal. It's frigid, it's blustery. It's New York City, and that can only mean that it is Dan Rubinstein, sir, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Ty, I mean, I'm all right. But the mere fact that we're getting into our two hour Mega quick Lane Bowl Special, Yeah, how about it. I'm feeling juice, Duke and I you. I believe the fine city of Detroit. It's all happening. So I'm ready to go.
Speaker 3: It's all happening. Indeed, thank you to everyone out there for tuning back in. We are now squarely in the Bowl pre viewing segment of our solid verbal season. We don't have games to discuss, at least not this coming Saturday, but we do have ones that are on the horizon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get in on the bullpool.
Speaker 3: We've got links posted out on the Facebook page, We'll post it on Twitter. We'll continue posting it on our web page as well. Forty one games for you to pick. We're going to do our best here to try and talk you through them and at least give you some sense of who Dan and I are going to pick.
Speaker 1: On tonight's show.
Speaker 3: We've got some news to discuss that we didn't discuss previously. We've got a whole slew of games to discuss here, Dan, do we count these up?
Speaker 1: Do you know how many we've got tonight? We have? I think we're into double digits, ten twelve games. We got a bunch a heavy lift tonight in terms of Bowl games. Dan, eight, nine, ten, I'm eleven twelve. I'm seeing twelve games. Tie, geez yeah, Ken ready, I have nuggets, Tie, I have so many nuggets about these. I'm gonna need some sauce, Tig. I'm gonna have some spicy sauce from you.
Speaker 3: A little Chick fil a sauce with those nuggets sounds good to me. Do you know what chick fil a sauce is? Is that a rhetorical question?
Speaker 1: You know? I don't know, But do you know what comprises Chick fil a sauce. I have absolutely no idea. Do you like Chick fil ace? I love it. It's great. I want to say it's a like a barbecue honey mustard hybrid. Okay, I believe that is the case. It looks like Okay, officially, the copycat recipe says, whisk together a little bit of mayonnaise, honey mustard, lemon juice and barbecue sauce. That's not too too bad. I could probably make that on my own. I mean, you're making your own Franklin barbecue sauce. I am. What can't you do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: We got a lot of nuggets here to talk about in Bowl country, and we'll get to those. I promise. We'll get to the news, I promise. But the only bit of housekeeping news that we must discuss first is that the live show is currently sold out. If you go on out to the Facebook event, if you go to our Facebook page, if you go to our web page or Twitter account, Instagram, all of those spots have links back to our ticketing site. Right now, they're sold out. We're trying to hold some back for people who might be coming to Atlanta for the game and for just other folks in Atlanta who might decide at the last minute that they want to come that a lot will go back on sale after we know who's playing in the National Championship game. But as we've said time and time again, now, if you are going to be in Atlanta, if you're thinking about coming to Atlanta, you're not sure about the show, but you're interested, please do send us an email at soliverble at gmail dot com. It helps Dan and I out just to figure out what kind of crowd are we looking at here that we haven't already accounted for. So soliverb at gmail dot com. It's going to be smashing, good fun. If you might be interested, give us a holler.
Speaker 1: Let us know. Yeah, Atlanta, friends of ours I mean when I say friends of ours, I mean for ballers. You guys, grab these tickets quickly. Oh, they're going like hotcakes. Dan, I figured we'd given enough people lead time to be like, all right, we've got a few weeks till that. Like, No, it was like two days they were all gone. So I was impressed. I was as well, I'm very excited about that show. Yes, it's gonna be a we have I want to say, mixed media plans. Yes, were we know, like charging money is a thing that we were very thankful that we're able to do that and people are able to support the show. So we are trying our best to give you not just us sitting there and giving you a Q and A, but an actual capital S show with Capital F friends and media pals and all sorts of things like that. So we're very grateful we have this opportunity. So we cannot wait to hang.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking space opera like in Star Wars episode three. Mmm, fully nude, very thematic this week by the way, Yes, oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: The Star Wars the news, not the nude. Correct. All right, well on that now, Oh we have older but still breaking news.
Speaker 3: We talked a lot about the debacle, the raging tire fire, the dumpster fire, whatever superlative you'd like to use. At Tennessee regarding their coaching search, we talked about all the jokes. We didn't talk about the actual coach. The actual coach is Jeremy Prewett. They hired him away from Alabama. I believe Prewitt will still be coaching in the playoff, Is that correct?
Speaker 1: That is the early word, though subject to change as we know what happens with the Alabama coordinator right subject to change.
Speaker 3: But Jeremy Prewitt has had a pretty successful run at at Georgia, at Florida State, most recently at Alabama. He's coached at a very high level. He's been a defensive coordinator. The early read on him is that he's going to bring I'm laughing as I say this, but a more aggressive hacking mentality. Hell yeah, with him from Tuscaloosa up there to Knoxville after spending however many years now under Butch Jones, that is something that I think.
Speaker 1: Tennessee fans could get pretty excited about.
Speaker 3: So Jeremy Prewitt at long last tabbed as the new head man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the ceiling is pretty high. Tennessee has phenomenal facilities. They can attract a lot of talent. The big thing to me is, and this has been impressive early with what can Jeremy Prewitt attract in the way of assistant coaches and support staff, strength and conditioning. He just hired away. I don't have his name in front of me, but the sort of de facto GM of LSU football, who I think is a Tennessee native who helps out with operations and recruiting, and so you have to assume or not assume. But I would say that the optimist looks at Jeremy Prewitt and says he's worked with three top level coaches and Mark Rick, jimbo Fisher and obviously Nick Saban. What has he taken from them organizationally? How will he deal with people? Is he perhaps more mature than he has put out there in the years past. So I think ceiling wise, it is exceptionally high with how he's been able to hire early on, and I am exceedingly curious at this point without a full staff, how he rounds out the recruiting class, which I know we're going to talk about momentarily just reporting in general, both with this early signing period that begins next week. I think it's the twentieth to the twenty second, and then the more standard signing day in early February. So there's a lot to be optimistic about, I guess cautiously optimistic about with hiring somebody without head coaching experience, but a ton of high level experience in that region.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you mentioned recruiting. This seems like a natural segue to talk about what's going on in the recruiting world. They're basically reformatting signing day as we know at the signing period as we know it. And we did have a question come through, is this something that we're going to talk about? Well, yeah, it's college football. We will be talking about it next Wednesday, as that's kind of the the new signing day. Is that how they're trying to brand this thing now?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's a they trying anything, but I think schools in general are treating this like it is the traditional signing day. You have the three days, which gives you know, recruits and coaches whatever flexibility early on just to make sure everything is in order by the twentieth, twenty first, or twenty second. It hurts I think prospective kids who would have more time to take visits and see how things shake out after high school football season's end and bowl season ends, so there's a little bit of flexibility gone. I think in general, the bigger programs, Power five type programs will have rounded out their class maybe like sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen kids out of an average of about twenty five. So yes, it is the de facto signing day. This is what we will be paying attention to, I think more, but certainly more to come. It hurts schools like Stanford Notre Dame with more rigorous academic requirements because a lot of the times kids are waiting to find out and get their grades, waiting on a school and so schools like that, And I know David Shaw has spoken out against this that it really does hurt them. So we'll be curious to see how many kids don't sign early in hopes that if they want it to go to a place like Stanford or Notre Dame. Those are the two biggest I think academically right now, you know how that affects their their own timing. So it should be interesting to see. And do you have you been paying attention at all to this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Minimal? Okay, real quick, ty, this is and I think a lot of commitments will be happening. Will obviously be reviewing it after the fact. Here's your top twelve team rankings and this one subject. This is an.
Speaker 3: Important primer because you know my stance on recruits generally, It's not that I'm not into it. Wait and see, Yeah, I'm just not into it until I absolutely have to be into it. Recruiting being the lifeblood of college football, you can't avoid it. It's important. I just haven't looked into it. It's it's kind of coming early this year because this new format.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you're absolutely right. Here is the twenty four to seven composite rankings right now, Ohio State, Texas, Hey, Texas, nice, Miami makes sense. Georgia, Penn State and Notre Dame at five and six, Oklahoma seven, Auburn, Alabama. Oregon's at ten. They were a little bit higher, but have had some decommitments after Willie Taggart left. Washington right there at eleven and Jim Harbaugh and Michigan at twelve. So I think a pretty familiar group. But Texas at number two, certainly they have the regional talent to justify. So yeah, that all feels about right. And quarterback wise, it looks like a lot of the a lot of the guys that you would recognize team wise. I mean, Clemson has the top quarterback in the class, Georgia has number two, Washington has two top like fourteen quarterbacks, Oregon got their guy, Notre Dame has Phil Jerkovic. Yeah, right, is that his name yep. Interestingly enough, Utah has a top ten quarterback in the country. Saw that quarterback? Yeah? So yeah, Michigan State with the number fifteen overall quarterback. So that's cool to see if they can sort of keep that quarterback play at a high level. And Justin Rodgers appears to be a top five guy for TCU. So looks like a pretty good class of guys going all over the country to powers.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we're going to talk about this in much much more detail on the show we do next week. I guess that'd be December twentieth. We'll also preview Bowls on that show, which means it's going to be a longer podcast than you and I would typically do, but we want to make sure we cover all the relevant information recruiting and bowl season. We got a bunch of previews that we've started to look at for next Wednesday, so stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a question real quick before we move on? Sure, what do you think of the Jeremy prout Hire for Tennessee? I like it.
Speaker 3: I think that bringing some sort of toughness with him from his last role is something that Tennessee fans should should be excited about. To your point, he has coached at a very high level. But the question always remains he hasn't been a head coach previously. Sure, so not everyone ends up being Kirby smart. Will there be an adjustment period? How will he deal with being in the fish bowl that is Tennessee. It's not an easy job. So I will wait and see on that front, how he handles not only that increase in responsibility but also just that spotlight that he's going to be under.
Speaker 1: We don't know. That part remains to be seen true, all right, fair enough? I mean that they were down to and I say that in a weird, facetious way, but they had taken to interviewing SEC defensive coordinators. Another one of the big names was I think Kevin Steel from Auburn. So certainly they had finished setting their sites at high ish and weird choices at head coach with guys with head coaching experience, perhaps at Rutgers, and then Dave Dorn and David Cutcliffe and Mike Gundhy, and then they were sort of zeroing in on perhaps more realistic in the way of coordinators that, to their credit, won't cost as much more money for assistance, you know, more runway to prove themselves early on as a head coach instead of needing immediate results. So I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. I am. I'm curious, I like it. I am reserved about loving it same all right.
Speaker 3: The only other bit of coaching news that I wanted to discuss, Sunny Dikes is going to be taking over at SMU Chad Morris left for Arkansas. Yep, Sunny Dikes is going to be coaching the Bowl game for SMU.
Speaker 1: This is It's a rare move.
Speaker 3: It's not entirely unprecedented, but certainly not the kind of thing that I can ever remember discussing in the ten years of us doing this podcast. A new coach coming in nothing to do with the program previously, will now be coaching the Bowl game for SMU against Louisian Tech. I'm gonna give you the option to change your pick from SMU to Louisiana Tech because I had LA Tech to begin with. I'm on this thing now where I'm not going to go too heavy on teams that lost to coach, and in the case this game, even though SMU was favored, I was gonna go law Tech. But this to me seems like a historically terrible decision, despite the fact that nothing's really riding on this game. I just don't see how a team can come in and feel good about its chances with a brand new coach for one game.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna stick. Well, No, I'm gonna say law Tech. I think this has the makings for a just a mess. And by the way, Ty, I am a little bit disappointed in you for not knowing your You're Brian Kelly history. But he coached Cincinnati like two weeks after being named the head coach there. He arrived there from Central Michigan. I believe. Yeah, that's right, and he did coach Cincinnati, and I forget which ball, let's assume it's like the Motor City bawl. I think that's a fair guess, but that I did not come up with that myself. I saw somebody else sweet that out and just looked it up myself. But yeah, Brian Kelly did it at Cincinnati, so there is recent precedent, and I guess he followed up that real quick coaching job with a real quick exit when Cincinnati went undefeated and went on his way to South Bend. This is true. He was there for four seasons. That is true. He was there longer than your boy Willie Taggert. He was. That is factory tie facts only.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, if any other news breaks, we will be sure to bring it to you. I would advise changing your pickaway from SMU. I think that's gonna be potentially a mess, but we shall wait and see. Before we get to bulls, though, Dan, we do need to talk about your shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I am. You've got a wedding this weekend. Oh that one.
Speaker 3: Yes, you've got a wedding this weekend. Will you be wearing your proper Cloth dress shirt.
Speaker 1: It's not just a wedding, it is the wedding of the Southern California Social Calendar. Excuse me, camera guy Dave. Yes, tying the knot and of course tie. Of course it's black tie optional. Okay. I will be wearing a black suit and a black tie, not a tux, but a black suit, a black tie, and my crisp, perfectly fitting shirt from Proper Cloth.
Speaker 3: You are exercising your option to not only look schnazzy with the black tie, but also with the dress shirt. I applaud that absolutely. Finding a dress shirt that fits is hard. Something's always off. Thankfully, thanks to our friends over at proper Cloth, you can easily create a custom shirt.
Speaker 1: In mere seconds. You got to answer ten questions. That's it.
Speaker 3: You choose from twenty collar styles, ten cus styles, five hundred fabric styles, business to casual to whatever you want to do to completely customize your shirt.
Speaker 1: You can get it exactly the way you want. A proper Cloth.
Speaker 3: Each one of their shirts goes through extensive quality control testing. You get the absolute best quality and craftsmanship available to you and the guarantee you perfect fit. So if it doesn't fit, they'll remake it for free. You don't need to worry did you answer a question wrong? Is the question going to accommodate my rahombus sized.
Speaker 1: Abdomen? Don't need to worry about that.
Speaker 3: Proper Cloth will take care of you because they're the future of shirt stand it all starts at just eighty dollars a shirt, So stop wearing your shirt that doesn't fit to a regal occasion like what'd you call it? Southern California's most pre eminent wedding.
Speaker 1: Social calendar Social event of the event of the social calendar I don't know, it was so long ago.
Speaker 3: Ty, you don't want to wear an off the rackshirt to something like that, tie, go to propercloth dot com slash solid today. Enter the gift codes solid. You'll save twenty bucks in your first shirt.
Speaker 1: You know what they say, Ty. If it doesn't fit, you must go to a very easy website and adjust your sizing so you get a better fit.
Speaker 3: Propercloth dot Com slash Solid use the gift code solid Dan.
Speaker 1: Done. There you have it. We have picks to make.
Speaker 2: Time.
Speaker 1: I am excited for these games. Yeah, yeah, why not? What's getting you juiced? I'm getting juiced.
Speaker 3: About the Bad Boys Mower Gasparillo Bowl still Gasparilla.
Speaker 1: I love the double L. I'm going to be Spanish with that double L. Dans. Yeah, are you excited? This used to be? Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 3: This used to be the Saint Petersburg Bowl. For a hot minute, you and I exchanged a few messages on the old g chat machine about how much it might cost to sponsor this bowl, because you'll remember they didn't have a sponsor. They were openly courting new sponsors for this bowl game.
Speaker 1: I want to say, was it two years ago? It was the Bitcoin Bowl, Yeah, I believe. And then Bitcoin was like, yeah, we just we're gonna We're gonna shoot our value through the roof and I'd spend a day. As soon as they decided to part ways with the bull scene boom value through the roof. Bitcoin could buy the entire city of Saint Petersburg right now, correct economics. Okay, December twenty first, at eight pm on ESPN, we got the Bad Boys Mowers Gasparia Bowl. I don't care. We've got to match up.
Speaker 3: Here between Temple at six and six and Florida International at eight and four. Temple is currently about a seven and a half point favorite DAN. Before we get into the analysis, it is our gift situation for this contest.
Speaker 1: AH our owl friends will be perusing a gift suite. They will be going home with an Oakley backpack and a neck pillow. A neck pillow. Do you own a neck pillow? I do own a neck pillow. They're pretty good also, f I used the Golden Panthers. It's not just the owls who will have access. But I'm mixed on the neck pillow. I think I just need a better one. I'm for the idea of a neck pillow. I just haven't found one that I really like.
Speaker 3: I'm pro neck pillow. I've used it at home too, just when it's laying around the house. Damn, look at you, casual tie. Here's what we know, ty Owls offense not good, no good, We're not all that different. But the fact that they couldn't run this year, and they really could for a good chunk of Matt Rules time there in Philly is disappointing, to say the least. In Jeff collins first season, they couldn't really pass it all that much. The defense wasn't bad, which is to be expected with Collins's background and.
Speaker 1: What Matt Rule left that team with. Decent on third down, Sharif Finch had a nice year on the defensive line. Temple beat Navy, Tye, that's the thing, okay, so you know transition here. I would say for the Owls FIU offense not bad. They also couldn't run, so whoof If you like running the ball, you might want to watch a different game. But they threw the ball well. Alex McGuff top half of the conference. Usaqquarterback ladder Thomas Owens may be the best receiver in the conference, could have looked like their rock. And here's the good news. Ty fi used defense was all crash awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ninety second ranked according to Bill Connolly's S and P plus metric.
Speaker 1: Yes, and FIU did be marshall, they beat you TSA. So but in this specific game, we have trash on trash. We call this the trash compactor game. Dan, Yes, we did.
Speaker 3: Shut them all down. Shut them all down, Dan, We're all stuck in a trash compactor here for Temple, and they're one hundred and fourth rated offense against FIU's ninety second ranked defense. I believe in physics you would refer to this as the stoppable force versus the movable object.
Speaker 1: I think that's correct. I think that's correct. Yeah. Butch Davis, Jeff Collins, Tigh Quality coaches seven and a half points spread for Temple. Uh, I think I'm gonna take those points. I think it's gonna feel a little bit shootouty with FIU's ability to move it through the air.
Speaker 3: How's that I'm inclined to go points, But again, keeping in mind that we've got a confidence pool, true, I'm going to go thirteen points on the owls of Temple in a close one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's about right. Not a lot of confidence. I think I think Temple might edge them with some defense. Moving on to the Bahamas Bowl, Dan m and not a Chick fil A Bahamas bawl anymore.
Speaker 3: No, you've ever been to first off? Was it ever the Chick fil A Bahamas Ball? I don't think it was. It was, okay, I don't think it was the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what it is. Damn it. I'm a bad person.
Speaker 3: There are so many check and sponsors though in these bowl games that I can't blame you for getting them confused.
Speaker 1: Oh fair? Do you have a preference between Chick fil A and Popeyes? I've never been to a Popeyes?
Speaker 3: Is that really? There is a Popeyes nearby. I was able to locate one, but I've never actually gone to it. So my experience is fairly limited to just Chick fil A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, go to a Popeyes. I've been to it. I've been to a Crowns Fried Chicken down in downtown Philly. Now go to Popeyes. Popeyes is wonderful.
Speaker 3: The Bahamas bull sans a Chicken sponsor. They played this one in Thomas Robinson Stadium on Nasau, December twenty second, at twelve thirty in the afternoon on ESPN, we've got the Ohio Bobcats at eight and four, a seven and a half point favorite over the UAB Blazers. They finished the year at eight and four. This is, you know, an interesting game for a variety of reasons. But we got to give a shout out to UAB because the program was dead, and by dead, I mean literally dead a couple of years ago. Now they're back, They're eight and four. They're going bowling. They're going to the Bahamas. That's a pretty cool story just on its own. What is our gift situation here for the Bahamas bull Dan.
Speaker 1: Well, they'll be going through a gift suite. They're getting our favorite at Sandal brand I associated with bull They are getting some ice slides, yes, drawstring, backpack, a beach towel, and a bullpin, which makes me think that there are not a lot of gifts in the gifts suite. They are highlighting the bullpin, so bullpin indeed. Either way, cool story for UAB, solid season for Ohio. UAB does not move the ball all that well, but they're pretty good running the ball. Big fresh and running back in Spencer Brown. Good defense, especially against the run. They did not allow more than twenty five points. First Conference USA teams after November seventh. They beat North Texas. Excuse me, after the North Texas game on November seventh, they beat Middle Tennessee. They beat Southern Myss. They did. Yeah, absolutely they did. They beat UTSA. Everybody has a good win over UTSA, who is also somehow good. But yeah, really cool story for UAB to be back bowling after returning to FBS football Ohio. They themselves a better offense, I would say, than UAB, which is why they're favored in this game. They themselves are particularly good running the ball. And Nathan Rourke. What do you know about Nathan Rourke? Felt like feels like he's been there forever, thousand yard rushing quarterback. Tie Yeah, sure, at yeah, yeah, yeah. The defense is pretty good. They're a solid team, and they've had maybe the most impressive MAC win of the season with a comfortable, comfortable win over Toledo. So I think there's a lot to like about the Bobcats here. I'm thirty one points in favor of the Bobcats. I like him outright.
Speaker 3: I like him minus the points. I think their rushing game is too much for UAB. Okay, I'm rooting for UAB because of their story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sort of strength on strength running the ball versus good run defense in this game.
Speaker 3: Shout out, shout out to them. But I think the rushing games a little too much for UAB. And I'm gonna go Ohio here yep. I don't think about thirty one. Maybe mid twenties famous Idaho Potato Bowl and Albertson Stadium in Boise, Idaho. This one is also played on twenty second of December. They played a little later in the day at four pm Eastern on ESPN. We've got the Wyoming Cowboys, We've got the Central Michigan Chippewas, and at last check, we've got to pick them.
Speaker 1: Dan. We do have a pick them. We have In speaking of picking, they can pick through a gift suite. They can pick Oakley sunglasses. Should they choose an under armour backpack and a beanie? Because you're playing a ballgame in Idaho and that that feels like a good choice to wear a beanie, So it's a good matchup.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you play guarding this game. Do we know if Josh Allen's going to play, I honestly do not know. That seems to be the question. He's dealt with injuries this season. He hurt his throwing shoulder against air Force towards the end of the season and it's been touching go ever since. He sounds like he wants to play in the game, despite the fact that you know, he's probably headed for the NFL reasonably high pick and I would assume the first round in the NFL draft. But it sounds like Josh Allen wants to play in this football game. I like Josh Allen. I don't know if he's playing be where the chippiwas though.
Speaker 1: I always pick against Central Michigan, you know, I hold that long standing grudge against the Chippewa. Beware the chip Awas, Daniel, they have the better of the two quarterbacks in this game too, Morris, Beware.
Speaker 3: The chip Awas. They closed out the year they won five straight. They beat Osio, they beat Ohio. We just talked about it's a pretty good team. They beat Northern Illinois, who I'm gonna pick to beat Duke Okay a little later on great defense. Yeah, in the podcast, I can see them having trouble moving the ball against Wyoming, but I'm gonna ride that Chippewah wave Dan. We got to pick him here, give me the chip Awas outright. Excuse me, Let's go Central Michigan to the tune of five confidence points. So I like him, I just don't like him that much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Central Michigan's offense is pretty rough, although they do need and they get Shane Morris big passing play, so that's good. And you're right. They started the season pretty slowly at two and three and they finished winning six to seven, so they do have a little bit of momentum if you believe in such things. They do a good job against the pass on defense, and similar story, Wyoming starts out very sluggish. Of the Iowa game Oregon, they give up forty nine, but giving up forty nine points to Oregon after that, nobody else scored twenty five against Wyoming. This team was led by its defense. They beat Colorado State in a very strange sixteen to thirteen defensive slugfest. They lead FBS teams and turnover margin, and they have a Pisman finalist tie. By the way, when I say that this dude is not. He's large. He's like six five, two fifty five. He was a former converted receiver, right he is. He's just a very good defensive places. If he's got moves, crazy moves, he's got crazy moves. The offense for Wyoming was largely trash this year. It was just they lost too much from twenty sixteen. But the defense is really good, especially against the run. They're very good on passing downs up front. They're just they swarm. I like them a lot, and I think there's something about Big Sky Country Oo Sky Conference, that region. I think there's a little bit of pride there. Wyoming to Idaho, I'm taking I'm taking the Cowboys here. We disagree me like maybe like seventeen eighteen? Whoa, yeah, how about that? All right, let's move on to the Birmingham Bowl. They played at Legion Field in Birmingham, Alabama. Hmm, December twenty third, at high noon on ESPN. We've got the Bulls of South Florida at ten and two, a nice year, a two and a half point favored over the Texas Tech Red Raiders. They come into this matchup at six and six. Damn, what's our gift situation? Please? Birmingham Bowl. We have a gift suite, Oakley Sunglasses, Beanie and a big game football, So nothing that really jumps off the page.
Speaker 3: Tie, I'll tell you what jumps off the page to me in this one, Dan, Yeah, give me them points, Baby, give me all them damn points. I think we're looking at a shootout here. I am taking the path of least resistance and I think that's USF and their offense and Quentin Flowers against the Texas Tech defense.
Speaker 1: I am not confident, at.
Speaker 3: Least not overwhelmingly so in their ability to win this game outright, because it could be a contest where whoever has the ball asses whoever ends up winning. But I like USF a little bit more. I think Charlie Strong knows how to coach against that Texas Tech offense. So give me the bulls to the two to fourteen confidence points.
Speaker 1: Here. We don't have a drive chart to review because there have been no games since our last show, correct but ty, but if do you have that that tune like queued up? This is the ranking the S and P plus rankings of South Florida's wins. Here we go of those teams.
Speaker 2: One twenty nine one eighteen, eighty six, one, twenty three, one oh three, ninety one, nineteen, one sixty.
Speaker 1: They did not beat any good They did not beat a single top I guess seventy five team this year. The best team they beat was Temple. Again, not their fault how other teams are, but they had a shot against Houston. They lose that game, a winnable game ish they lose that game twenty eight to twenty four. Obviously, UCF an extraordinarily tough team. They lose that game in a shootout and looked very good doing so against a top ten team, But there really is no game. We're like, yeah, I believe in South Florida they beat this team, so keep that in mind. But yeah, South Florida had a very nice year. You know, the crazy UCF loss. Who are you? I think I'm gonna go Texas Tech? Wow, I think I'm gonna go Texas Tech. I was not crazy about the offensive transition from USF, but I do like the fact that defensively both of these teams got better. I like the momentum that Texas Tech has after beating Texas to finish out the year. I think there is a reinvigorated sense among that team. They have stud offensive skill guys Kiki Kut, Justin Stockson. I like them both. I'm going to Texas Tech low low, something like eight nine points. You are once again seduced by the deep blue eyes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Cliffs, Yeah, blue eyes deep like the sea, Cliff Kingsbury.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean I think Charlie Strong might already have wandering eyes in Tampa. So we'll see. All right, we disagree, Let's move on.
Speaker 3: Also, on December twenty third, the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces bull at M and G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas. This one's at three point thirty in the PM on ESPN. We got San Diego stayed at ten and two against the Army Knights at nine and three. They had a nice season. They're only giving away a gift suite in this game, dam which feels wrong to me.
Speaker 1: Well, it feels like they're hiding something. Ta Lockey Martin is they're giving away something good. We're just never gonna find out. You gotta sign an NBA before you get that gift suite. Huh here is yes, here's the great news about the Armed Forces ball given how Army and San Diego State play. Schame's gonna take like two hours. Schame's gonna go by real quick. It's just run, run, run, run, run, run pass. Nope, he scrambled and stayed and bounds run.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, it me great. We got the Aztecs against the Black Knights here.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be at Greg Max start.
Speaker 3: Jeff Bnkin's done a really good job at Army. We don't talk about it a whole lot here, but had a huge win over Navy again this season.
Speaker 1: It's just good to see him back in a ball.
Speaker 3: You can't root against Army, and I'm not rooting against Army per se in this football game. My cause for pause is it's such a tall order to slow down or shot Penny. This is a dude for San Diego State finished fifth in the Heisman and for good reason. Over two thousand yards rushing on the year, nineteen touchdowns. Not sure Army's got enough of a running defense to get that job done. That to me feels like a bridge too far for this Black Knights team. I love them, I love them, I really do. But I gotta go San Diego State to the twoe to thirty seven confidence points here.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, I think that's right. I like San Diego State by about thirty confidence points, not thirty points in this game. San Diego State beats Stanford Northern Illinois, they beat Arizona State. They had the bad loss to Fresno, and the offense wasn't fantastic or shot Penny was fantastic, but the offense as a whole was not wonderful. It was basically just like I guess we'll give it to a shot Penny left right that as I understand it, that was the offense this season. Yes, yeah, so that's fine. Good wins. And you know Army had you know, Army beat Duke A Bowl team, Navy Eastern Michigan whatever, the last second lost to North Texas. You know, real fun rushing offense. I'm with you, though Ty. The defense, the defense, the defense, or I guess in the Armed Forces Bowl the defense is not great. So I think I'm gonna go San Diego State here with yeah, about thirty confidence points.
Speaker 3: And finally, on December twenty third, another game, a lot of action, this one at seven pm Eastern on ESPN the Dollar General Ball from beautiful lad Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Alabama. We've got Toledo the Rockets at eleven and two, an eight point favorite over Appalachian State. They come into this one at eight and four. Talk to me about this gift suite, Dan, I suspect we're going to have a disagreement here, all right, So.
Speaker 1: Dollar General Ball, we have the Amazon Echo, Maui, Jim Sunglasses, Timely Watch Company Watch, and a Wilson Football. So the good news for all of the app State and Toledo players is all your data will be collected and stored and put away, and your conversations potentially recorded. But you could turn on your lights with your voice with the Echo's that's great. Listen, there's a reason why, Well, was it wearable or was it voice activated? Was in our garbage bracket, our secret garbage bracket? I think it was voice acting. I think it was voice activated technology. Yeah, I this does not appeal to me, the voice activation at all.
Speaker 3: You are surprisingly afraid of new technology. I'm technology surprised by that. Do you put a piece of tape over your your laptop camera? Come on, Tying, who.
Speaker 1: Is interested in looking at me? I am that's for sure other than you, ty You just got to take precautions and I'm just what who is answer me? This? Riddle me this? Dan? Who is interested in looking through my camera? I don't know, Ty, Brian Kelly, you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna see if you look through my camera, if you hack into my matrix, break into my computer, access the onboard camera pointed usually at me. You know what, You'll probably see a wall. You will see a blank wall with no.
Speaker 1: Art on it. That's what you'll see here in my studio. I think at a certain point people are gonna be able to spy your your podcasting setup. There's nothing to say. What filter is he putting? There's nothing here? Oh who is Ty talking to to get all this podcasting advice? I yeah, I don't. I'm not a big believer in letting everybody into my world. And the Amazon Echo is part of it. Sorry, Ty, that's not for me.
Speaker 3: Whatever, what Jim sunglasses? Are they they sound?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sunglass branded sunglasses? Are they edgy? I assume Sammy Hagar owns some? Yeah, Okay, No, they're not edgy. They are. They are very like luxurious vacation or sunglasses. All right.
Speaker 3: Timely watch a good name for a watch. We've talked about Timely before. And then the Wilson football. It's better than big game football, if only because I'm familiar with Wilson. So here's what I noticed when I looked at this game, outside of the fact that they're giving away a cool device like an Amazon Echo Dan, Yeah, we've got two good quarterbacks in this game. I suspect who's ever calling this football game will be all over the fact that both Logan Woodside and Taylor Lamb have collectively had fifty five touchdowns and only eleven interceptions this season. Yeah, it feels like that will be so much the headline in this game that we need to give Logan Woodside Taylor Lamb some sort of celebrity couple.
Speaker 1: Nickname Lamb wood Lambside. What about in like a Logan and out like a Lamb Ty, I'd like to announce my official resignation from the Come on, if you want to go for it, I will not stop you. I cannot partake Ty, I cannot go I'll go Lambside. Okay, Lambside. So app State, I've always loved me some app State. You know that, I know you've got a really unhealthy thing for them. You reach into a grab bag of app State wins this year and you're coming out with hard candy. There's not much there. There's no fun size Snickers, there's no Sweethearts. You're just getting maybe a Werthers, maybe a Werthers. They're the best thing app State basically did this year was they lost close to Wake Forest and you mess. That's that's the highlight at this point. They they're all right on the ground. Jalen Moore is pretty good, Taylor Lamb as you mentioned, nice year, a good receiver, and Ike Lewis. It was I think a down year for Scott Sadderfield and the app State defense. But listen, Toledo's a good team. There's no shame in matching up against Toledo and bowl season perhaps not coming out on top. You mentioned Logan Woodside, Terry Swanson, Deontae John some real good receiver you can run on Toledo. That's the interesting thing to me is what app State will be able to do on the ground. But uh, the Toledo defense pretty good. First the pass this is this is a good game for lower level stardom, and that's unfair to call that, to call Logan Woodside that, But I think this should be at the very least fun.
Speaker 3: I'm excited about this football game. I think Toledo's played better teams as you were hinting at I, They're definitely more battle tested. I am going to go Toledo outright, but again, because of that rushing component that you mentioned, an eight point line here seems like it's too much, So I'm gonna go Upstate with the points. But I do like Toledo outright, and I'm very confident in that. To the tune of thirty three confidence points.
Speaker 1: Dan, Yeah, I'm gonna go Logan Woodside and Toledo by high twenties, early thirties in like a Logan out like a lamb. Okay, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: Moving on to the Hawaii Bowl in Aloha Stadium.
Speaker 1: In Honolulu, Hawaii, Dan, Mala khaliki maka oh. I do like that song. It's the thing to say.
Speaker 3: On December twenty fourth, at a thirty pm Eastern time on ESPN.
Speaker 1: Mala is the thing to say.
Speaker 3: That's right, m hmm, the thing to say when you've got Houston at seven and four, when you've got Fresno at nine and four. H I think Houston's about a two and a half point favorite here, Dan, and We've got an interesting selection of gifts here.
Speaker 1: We do in the Hawaii Bowl, the Hawaii Hawaii Electronics. Yeah, gift sweet nothing, voice activated hopefully, Oakley backpack and sunglasses. Tory Richard Aloha shirt. Who is Who's Tory Richard? Tory Richard? I think is Let's see if Tory Richard is a known I'm gonna judge based solely on this website. Honolulu based resort wear company that loves color and pattern. Okay, and I'm looking. It's a good looking website. Tie, good looking Prince. I would wear some of this men's gift guide. Yeah, you want to send some Tory Richard Lounge and vacation. Where to tie in myself? I've never worn a Hawaiian shirt in my life. Are do you see yourself transitioning at no point? And that's a good question too, But no, the answer is no, not necessarily to Hawaiian shirts. Tie. But I'm talking about like the broader genus, the broader phylum of that kind of comfort where later in life I don't think I could ever do that. Yeah, but you're twenty six now, Tie. I'm talking about later on down the road, when you're in your your late fifties, early sixties. Maybe you're a young grandfather something like that. Are you going to do you see yourself going into that kind like I've already made the move on the weekends to the ath leisure lifestyle. That's how I've done that. I'm doing that right now, absolutely so that's just the next functional step.
Speaker 3: But you can you can go to Wegmans in the ath leisure in a way that you can't go to Wegmans. If you're part of the larger, broader genus phylum of Hawaiian shirts, Tommy Bahama shirts and things.
Speaker 1: Well, you're not gonna You're not gonna wear casties on the weekend. What are you gonna wear when you're sixty three? That's what I'm asking. Are you gonna go like you're like Tony Soprano's number five guy, and you're gonna wear all like the Valure No, God, No, I think as suits. No.
Speaker 3: I think what I'll probably find myself doing at that advanced stage is probably I have a really nice pair of slippers, like moccasins. I could see myself wearing the slippers out places you wouldn't normally wear them. They're not actually that shoes with lounge wear, but they look like they could be shoes. I think I'll push the envelope as far as that goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm talking up top. You're not gonna wear a breathable material. It will definitely be breathable, it won't be this breathable. It won't be Tory Richard breathable. I will. I will tell you, low key the thing I will avoid, probably the most in later in life, when you know you maybe want to hydrobelly a little bit. That kind of thing. The coaches polo. Oh my god, well I avoid that, Like, no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I had coaches polo is sent to me. I threw him out, that's the word.
Speaker 1: Like I'd see people our age wearing coaches polo, Like, what are you doing? Don't do that? That looks horrible. You're giving up already. Yeah no, uh so on that tangent who's playing in this game again, Also a beach towel, pro Athletics surf trunks performance T shirt that does a good suite. Not bad. That's a that's a good collection of gifts. Bad. This this game is President State in Houston. Yeah, really good. I mean obviously transition here for Houston, and they beat USF, They beat Navy, smu Arizona, Texas Tech, Tulane, Memphis, all winnable for Houston. So schedule, I mean, listen, their record tells the story. But they've been all over the places here. Houston has. Yes, they benched Kyle Allen. I think at the end of September, Kyle Postmo was pretty good do catalog the Texas transfer. They ran all right with him, A couple good senior receivers, real good upfront with that Oliver, especially against the run. So a good Houston team, I think, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I trust in Fresno a little bit more. Two of their four losses came against Alabama and Washington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: So I think they're a pretty good team. Jeff Tedford has done a really good job there. I'm gonna go Fresno outright to the tune of fifteen confidence points here. A little bit of a shorter jaunt for them to get out to a Lolaha stadium as well on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, Houston Big Airport might be a little bit easier.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but the Big Airport does not move them any closer geographically speaking to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 1: So I like Fresno State, but we disagree. I'm gonna go Houston here. I don't know if I fully trust Marcus mcmarion is a good quarterback against a pretty good defense. I just burped, excuse me, And Fresno's good running the ball. I think the defensive improvement they had this year. I think the defensive coordinator. Look, I tweeted this earlier primarily not even primarily exclusively CFL experience. Yeah, great, great love. I love the steps that Fresno State took this year. They win one out of two against Boise, They beat San Diego State, which is an impressive win. Wyoming another impressive win. But at that same time, I think I trust the overall talent level and the younger Yeah. I like the Fresno coaching staff, but I'm going Houston here with the basically the exact same confidence about fifteen. All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl. Dam we got another chick Chicken, Yeah, chicken sponsor the Heart of Dallas Bowl. They played in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. It is the day after Christmas, Boxing Day. Mm hmm if you well, one thirty pm Eastern time on ESPN. The Utah utes at six and six, a seven point favorite over West Virginia at seven and five. West Virginia without Will Greer has been a real treat. And by a real treat, I mean definitely not a treat at all. Now, now, I did see some speculation he could play in this game. I don't know if that's confirmed.
Speaker 1: Don't do that, Will Greer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for now, if he is out, and that is my assumption, I am going to go Utah and Tyler Huntley. He missed the final game of the year due to an undisclosed injury. I am going to assume he's coming back for this football game. So basically a ton of assumptions at work here.
Speaker 1: As I pick Utah.
Speaker 3: To the tune of twenty five confidence points, I like them better if Will Greer is out. Even if Will Greer is back, we don't know what state he will be in, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I think we agree, ty I really do. And by the way, the Zaxby's heard of Dallas balls, gift suite and a football and probably a lot of chicken. I'm assuming this suit chicken. I've we'd say this every year. I don't think either one of us in the last year has finally had Zaxby's for the first time.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Never. Every time I'm in an area, a city of town with a Zaxby's, there's always the Bojangles or a Can's, or a Popeyes or a Chick fil A, And I just would always rather have that, And have heard Zaxby's is fine. I've just always rather have those other chicken establishments, So that's cool. Yeah, a weird year for Utah, a very un Utah year. They beat Arizona, which was their only top fifty win on the season. They lose six to seven in October November. Good running back in Zach Moss, Tyler Huntley as you mentioned, and being beat up, but he did flash when he was healthy. Darren Carrington didn't make a huge difference the transfer from Oregon, but all around a pretty good defense for Utah, which is probably the most normal thing in West Virginia. Had their big wins against Iowa State, which is very strange to say, and Texas Tech and yeah, you mentioned it, well, Greer when he's healthy, that offense is really fun. And good, really good trio receivers. Dia is mostly okay, but I think I'm going to Utah here. Utah is I still believe in our theory that you do not want to play Utah when you have cracks, and literally West Virginia has cracks. So I'm going to go with Utah as a touchdown favorite, probably in the seventeen eighteen range. Moving on to the Quick Lane Bowl.
Speaker 3: We had promised a two hour special standalone podcast talking about the Quick Lane Bowl at Ford Field. Yep, I don't think we were serious about doing that extended podcast. Oh Bo December twenty sixth, also in Boxing Day, this one at five point fifteen pm Eastern on ESPN. We've got Duke at six and six, four and a half points the favorite over Northern Illinois. The Huskies finished the year eight and four. This is what I would classify as an elite level gift suite situation.
Speaker 1: Ty, You're not wrong. You're not at all wrong. The Quick Lane Bowl is giving away one hundred and seventy five dollars gift certificates to best. Okay, not bad. That's incredible. First of all, if that was it, Ty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's better than the Zager What was the Zaxby's bull football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, let's go the Quick Lane Bowl. JBL Bluetooth headphones, big year for Bluetooth. Those are probably really good headphones. I don't. I don't review Bluetooth headphones, but I assume JBL makes a quality pair. I don't assume. Yeah, life size fat head decal for each participant of his own likeness. I would that is the only gift and be totally cool. Hold up your own head at a basketball game after the fact. That's perfect. I want nothing more in life. An Ogio backpack, though, with the tag would be nice and good news. The Quick Lane Ball's giving them away a mini helmet, a hoodie, a workout pair of workout short it's a winter hat, and a vintage football. You know what, Quick Lane Ball. That's a that's a big fat salute from the solid verbal you know it? Baby?
Speaker 3: All right, Northern Illinois has a d that I think I like more than anything else.
Speaker 1: In this game, Dan, they were.
Speaker 3: Really good shout out Sutton Smith. Yeah, they're really good all year against the run. Take a look at a game they played earlier in the year against San Diego State. We talked about them before we talked about Rashad Penny before him being fifth in the Heisman Trophy balloting, blah blah blah, over.
Speaker 1: Two thousand yards rushing. Only two teams all year that.
Speaker 3: Held him under four and a half a carry. One of them was Boise, the other was NIU. Right, And that's important to note here because Duke was much more effective as a running team this year than they were a passing team. We talked so much about Daniel Jones and how he's got so much promise for Duke. Well, he was a much better runner this season than he was a passer. And I think that's an interesting matchup here that definitely favors the Huskies.
Speaker 1: I like a close game. I like Niu outright to the two to seventeen confidence points. Dan, I really wanted to believe ty because that I defense is really really good. It's hard to know because what Duke's defense was very good this year. They took a lot of chances, they brought a lot of heat, they confused a lot of quarterbacks, they shut down a lot of running games. The problem was, as you mentioned and alluded to, Daniel Jones might not just have been a bad passer. And led by his feet. He may have been the worst throwing quarterback in the ACC this year, I know was. He had disappointingly abysmal So that is worrisome against the NIU team. But I do think there is a talent differential. I like the fact that David Cutcliffe, as a steadying influence there now has a defense time to game plan. I think he's all right. I like that NIU beat Nebraska. They had the nice win against Western Michigan, a different Western Michigan team this year, obviously, But I'm going to go with Duke here. I'm a little bit more confident than you are here. So Duke finished out the season pretty well. They beat what Northwestern early wake later on, So I'm gonna go Duke with about I don't know, nine or ten points here are confidence ten points? Huh? Yeah? How about that? We just agree moving on three more bowl games here? Yeah? Also, by the way, can I make a very quick request about the Quick Lane Bowl? Ish? Yeah, I'm going to Detroit in late January for a wedding because obviously, who doesn't go to Michigan in late January. I need to know where to get the best Detroit style pizza in the greater Detroit area. All right, I know some people say Buddies is like a popular place. I want to know because I've had good Detroit pizza outside of Detroit. I want to know in the greater Detroit area where to get that best like that caramelized cheesy crust kind of thing. That's what I want. Sorry, continue, Let's go to Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 3: Also on Boxing Day, December twenty sixth, nine pm Eastern on ESPN, We've got k State the Wildcats at seven and five, a two and a half point favorite over UCLA at six and six. I think in underrated gift suite here, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Cactus Bowl is doing a pretty good job taking care of its players. You have the the yetti cooler and tumbler. Something to keep you cool out in the desert. Sure, keep your keep your liquids cool. You got a fossil watch, an Ogio backpack, legendary hat, JBL flip for a speaker, a blanket. It does get chilly at night in the desert. Tie it's a miss. I don't know that. It's this cloud cover, right, you got no cloud cover. It does get chili. You get that that that low pressure. I think it's low pressure that comes on into the desert. So yeah, this is, you know, Kansas State UCLA A strange matchup. I don't know, because I know there are Kansas State coaches making their way to UTEP. The offensive coordinator, I think he's staying on for this game. But there are eyes elsewhere on the Kansas State staff. Bill Snyder announced or there are rumblings that he is coming back for next year at seventy seven, seventy eight, seventy nine years old, whatever he is now. And you say like going through their own transitions, So distractions, I would say, but two teams that had strange years. I think Kansas State's a little better.
Speaker 3: They had strange years. You already know my philosophy on bowl games and coaches who.
Speaker 1: Leave or are findered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's no way I could possibly go with UCLA in this football game. I Am going to go k State outright. The other interesting factoid that mainly interests Tie Hill de bramt Oh. I have not heard any chatter about Josh Rosen being held out of this game. By all accounts, he's healthy, he's practicing. It would not surprise me if he caught a wicked case of the flu before kickoff and just couldn't play.
Speaker 1: You've got the black lung pop.
Speaker 3: It would not surprise me if that happened, because, in case you haven't looked, Josh Rosen is projected to be a top five pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rightfully, so when he is on, he is incredible. You sla though, Yeah, you're right, the big mess. They beat A and M and it was all downhill from there. They do beat Oregon, but it's with no Justin Herberts, I think the offense had a nice enough with Jed Fish. I think they made some they took some strides forward. Jordan lastly had a breakout year. The defense was just a joke.
Speaker 3: Tie. Yeah, I was gonna say, it's probably safe to assume that whatever case State runs on offense, UCLA is not going to stop it.
Speaker 1: Not in a game. It doesn't mean anything. You know, when you reach into the back of your fridge and all of a sudden, like oh this is still here, this, Oh my god, it has developed a colony. There is a lost city in this topperware of meatballs. That's the UCLA's run defense. That's where they hang out the back of your fridge. And Kannastate isn't great. They beat Oklahoma State and Iowa State, two very good wins, but up and down in the air. I like the steps that the receivers took no matter who. The quarterback was pretty stout up front. So I'm going to go with just the consistency of Kansas State here. I think they went a close one. I'm going to say low teens thirteen fourteen point confidence here, I'm going to go eighteen. Okay. Also, also, Ty, if you are visiting the the Greater Phoenix area for this game, Pizzeria Bianco or Peteleta both great pizza places or great Pizza town. Two more games.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to December twenty seventh. Yes, at one point thirty. Also in ESPN, we've got Florida State at six and six, a fifteen and a half point favorite over Southern Miss. They come into this game at eight and four. Your gift situation, Dan.
Speaker 1: Your gift situation in the Independence Bowl is fine, gift sweet timely watch new era skull cap in a football It's fine, nothing great.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting matchup for me because you know how I feel about coaches when they leave and what that does to bowl teams. I don't know if that plays too much of a factor here. I don't think the problem with Florida State was that they were looking to mail it in. I feel like the guys who are out there played hard, but by virtue of not having a quarterback and maybe by virtue of just not being as good collectively as we thought preseason. It didn't show on the win loss record, but they were playing hard for the most part. I think they're good enough to win this game to cover this spread, even if it's just cam Akers twenty five times.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, fair enough, I mean there is I mean, it goes against your rule kind of right, it does? It does.
Speaker 3: This is one exception where I am going to go FSU despite the fact that they lost a coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty good defense. Florida State signature win, barely beating Wake. What's up? What a year? Also signature win that time they had to reschedule a game. They decided not to reschedule because they really wanted to get into a ball game, keep a weird streak alive. So yeah, what a weird year for Florida State. Southern miss pretty good year. I like Ito Smith, good running back Corey Robertson. I would say maybe best receiver in Conference USA. He and Thomas Owens very good receivers this year. What do you know about Rakkeem booth Ty? What do you know about rokey on Ty? Amazing linebacker for Southern Myss. The talent differential I think is going to be too much. You're right. I think Florida State keeps as simple. I think they are energized by a new era. By the way, this game is sponsored by walk Ons Bistro and Bar. It's the walk Ons bstro and Bar Independence Bowl. I didn't even give the name of the bowl, did I? Yeah, I mean you said Independence Bowl. Okay, yeah, walk Ons. It's a bistro and bar. Right, it appears walk Ons. I've never been to. I don't think I've been to a walk Ons. Maybe I have, I don't know. They're in Louisiana and Texas. It is a sports bar. They have waffle fries. Van Pelt appears on their website, so he is affiliated with them in some fashion. They spell bistro in a way too cute eaux way yea they that thing. I'm not listen. You want to you want to say, go Tigers with the g e a u X. I'm fine with that. That's cool. Not with it. I don't know. It's too much. It's asking a lot so good look in restaurant as far as I can tell, independence bawl. I'm going to take Florida State here low twenties. And finally, you did you mention a new era at Florida State? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did, perfect segue to talk about the New Era Pinstripe Bowl. They played in Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. They play this one on December twenty seventh at five point fifteen pm Eastern Time on ESPN DAN A clash between two seven and five Titans. Yes, we've got the Iowa hawk guys a three point favorite over the Boston College Eagles. Everyone is going to make fun of this game, and they're going to make fun of it because it's between Iowa and BC and it's not an exciting matchup. They're going to make fun of it because the gift suite is only a variety of New Era products. People are going to make fun of it sight unseeing, so they just don't want to watch it. There's really no sex appeal here. But in fairness, I really do like the year that Nate Stanley had for Iowa.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely what a campaign as a sophomore, only six interceptions the full season. Iowa maybe not the most exciting team this season, but they had a quality win over Ohio State. They damn near beat Penn State if it weren't for a touchdown in the back of the end zone to close out the game and lose twenty to nineteen. This is a good football team that went toe to toe against some of the better teams in the Big Ten. And despite the fact that BC sort of invented itself as like this power rushing attack behind aj Dillon, I am still gonna have to go Iowa here, gotta beat my heart Dan.
Speaker 1: Okay, really good model ideas with slogan ideas for Iowa football. Listen, not that bad. Nah, Hey, they had a quality win. Hey they almost beat this team. Just I can see it on the poster now. Yeah, yeah, this game is fine. I think there's good stories here. I mean, Iowa obviously had the signature, went over Ohio State, they had the early good win against Iowa State. It wasn't a great offense. It was a disappointing year. I think for Ackronwadley and the running game on the ground, But yeah, you're right, Nate Stanley was a revelation at times. The defense played really well up front. I think they only gave up twenty five plus points once in Big Ten play and that was to Wisconsin. Game got real ugly, real quick, but otherwise really nice here in the Big Ten. Boston College I think low key a very good story as well. In the ACC they beat Northern Illinois, which, again, especially to you, that must be impressive. Sure they beat Louisville, they beat Florida State, Yes they were down years down. Defense for Louisville and Florida State was a mess, but yeah, AJ Dillon was really nice. The duo of Zach Allen and Harold Landry was wonderful, maybe one of the best three bookend defensive line duos in the ACC with Clemson and maybe I don't even know who else. Who else was good? NC State had NC State lined, Yeah, Boston College. If Daniel Jones was not the worst passing ACC quarterback, it was probably Anthony Brown. It just yeah, you know, it's a reality hit. A couple of good games but mostly disappointing. I'm going to go Iowa as well. I'm gonna go with the Hawks as well. And in addition, if anybody is visiting New York, Ty will give you directions. It's a quick drive to Allentown and the Eastern PA, the area in which Ty lives, and he will put you up. It's real. He's got a big couch. No, if you're coming to If you're coming to New York for this game, tweet us or tweet me. If you need any food recommendations, happy to help. There's a ton of good food. Don't eat at the three story Olive Garden if you're coming to New York. That's all I ask. Fair enough. So, yeah, Iowa, are you picking? God? I don't. I'm not super confident this game. I'm gonna go like ten to eleven. All right, I'm gonna go Iowa nineteen points.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, there you have it. Uh, thank you for bearing with us. Fun show covered a bunch of ground here in the Bowls season. By the time we do our next show, there will be bulls that are in the books which we can discuss briefly. But for the most part we're going to be talking recruiting and the new signing day format. We're going to be talking about some additional Bowl games that you might be on the fence about that you might still need to fill out for your confidence pool. The picks, at least to my knowledge, don't lock, which means that obviously the games that you've selected that have been played, you can't change those, But the ones that have yet to be played, you can change those. You can move them around a little bit if your confidence wanes or there's an injury. So we will be here all throughout bull season. We're going to preview a bunch more games. We got four Bowl preview shows. Next Wednesday is going to be one of them again, in addition to some of the other stuff that is coming in the recruiting world. So on that note, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, Head on out to the subreddit post What's.
Speaker 1: On your Mind?
Speaker 3: It's reddit dot com slash our slash a solid veriable buyver ball Ers forverballers, of course, and most importantly, if you you think you might be in Atlanta, either for the game or otherwise, if you think you might be interested in the live show, if maybe you checked on tickets but saw they're sold out. Give us a holler, SOLIVERB at gmail dot com. Let us know you're interested, and uh, you know, we'll keep you in the loop when we're gonna put our next batch up for sale. Agree for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie hilde Brand, Stay warm out there, wherever you may be. We'll catch you all in a week. In the meantime, stay solid, peace,