Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Monday, Dan and the Dan Ns Dan Patrick Show. It was the second annual Tom Brady Rose to Last hour. Apparently we were talking about Tom's debut. We'll talk a little bit more about that. We gave you our thoughts on that. Andrew Marshaw of The Athletic, a sports media columnist. He'll join us coming up here in a little bit. All righty poll question from our one seat, and we skewed negative. Let's recap that. What we're gonna go with Hour two. We occasionally do skew negative. We often start out the week with who had the worst who? Which is a lot of fun. Who had the worst weekend? Colorado, Colorado, Michigan or Notre Dame? Right now, Notre Dame's got seventy six percent of the vote. Nobody had a worst weekend than Notre Dame. College football wise, nobody. Oh no, buddy, that's tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we could go put up their most surprising news to start NFL Sunday, Dak Prescott's contract, Tyreek Hill being detained.
Speaker 4: That was surprising.
Speaker 3: Kendrick Lamar announced the halftime show that's big news that came out of nowhere, and he made the announcement. Yeah, heck yeah, Okay, Hendrick's doing it. There's another one too that I didn't write down that I can't remember.
Speaker 5: Justin Field's getting the start for the Steelers.
Speaker 4: Getting the start for the Steelers.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was. It was an interesting morning.
Speaker 2: And if I would have been doing Sports Center last night and Tyreek Hill got detained prior to the game, and if I was doing the highlights last night and he runs for eighty yards, I would have said, Tyreek Hill, you can't stop him. You could only hope to detain him. Thank you, Tom, Thank you too soon he made fun of, you know, handcuffs on him.
Speaker 5: Eighty yards. Okay, So the whole question for hour two is going to be what Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to put in there the most surprising news. I don't know if Justin Fields is going to make the cut, but uh, that's where we're going on.
Speaker 5: I would go with just Dak or Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anybody cared about Justin Field starting. I think there are indications she was going to start because.
Speaker 4: Kendrick in there too.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Kendrick Lamar. Yeah, yeah for clicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so no Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: No again, no Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: And I didn't she change from Pepsi? Like, wasn't that the big hold up that it was sponsored by Pepsi and she's Coca Cola or vice versa. Something like that came down to politics there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kind of thing actually happens a lot where I remember, like there was a big Britney Spears Christina Aguilera Pepsi versus Coke dust uff back in the aughts.
Speaker 5: That was okay, pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Great response to the new tailgate moonshine and it's Hallowpanio lime. I don't know how many bottles we have left, so it's first come, first serve. When we're out, we're out, You're We launched it on Friday. Great reaction, So if you want to check that out at Dan Patrick dot com. See if we have anymore. I'm not sure. Stat of the Day brought to you by PENAI America, the official trading cards of the program, Best and worst of the weekend. We will give you hours coming up in a little bit. Also, we'll hear from the Northern Illinois head coach Thomas Hammock as Northern Illinois Illinois. The Huskies beat Notre Dame. At Notre Dame, Andrew Whitworth, former Rams Pro Bowl tackle, will join us coming up as well. Watching Matthew Stafford last night fourth quarter, maybe we didn't appreciate him as much as we should have. And maybe you had these rookie quarterbacks who are talking about Matthew Stafford, like they're not talking about Mahomes, they're not talking about Aaron Rodgers, and they're probably what ten years old, and they're watching Matthew Stafford. And then all of a sudden, now they're in the league. And you got Caleb Williams saying, man that that dude's a baller, c J. Stroud saying Matthew Stafford is a ball Like that's what's really interesting. Their view of him is that guy that's who I want to play.
Speaker 7: Like, Yeah, Paul, by the way, seat and I were talk about it. I think the Detroit Lions have a competitive advantage with their uniforms. They wear the blue jersey with the blue pants with no stripe, and they've got a silver helmet. Stafford threw a pick in the end zone and they announce us. How could he not see Brian Branch whoever was he goes because he looks like a blueberry and a blueberry patch.
Speaker 4: The end zone's blue, the player's blue.
Speaker 7: It's hard to find the Lions defenders in the end zone.
Speaker 4: The walls surrounding the field.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 4: Everything is the exact same shade of blue.
Speaker 5: Well, didn't we have that with oise?
Speaker 4: And like college football?
Speaker 5: Sooise? And then what about the red field? Eastern Washington, Eastern.
Speaker 4: Washington, Eastern Washington, they're classic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's Andrew Marshawn, the athletic and your sports media columnist, and he's got a podcast, twice weekly podcast and it's Andrewmarshatt dot com to learn more about covering this goofy business we call sports media. All Right, if you're going to give Tom Brady a grade, what would the grade be with his debut yesterday?
Speaker 9: Go C plus probably?
Speaker 10: Now, it depends how you want to look at it. If you're just grading him as a number one analyst three hundred and seventy five million dollars and that's the level, then it's lower because it wasn't great. But the way I look at it is you have to give a little bit of a curve here for his first game, it's a learning experience.
Speaker 9: He's never done it. A lot of rehearsals, but never done it live.
Speaker 10: And then when we get to the super Bowl, when I do my super Bowl column, after that, there's no curve.
Speaker 9: That's where if you sound like a rookie during the.
Speaker 10: Super Bowl, you're probably not going to put the column I write the next day on your refrigerator.
Speaker 2: And he is so well known and we've heard from him, we've seen him. It's, you know, twenty years plus. Whereas Greg Olsen, people didn't know what Greg Olson sounded like. We know Brady and how he sounds, and it just felt like Tom was trying to be too perfect instead of like he's got to understand TV and it's not football. He knows that, but understanding how to incorporate his football knowledge into fifteen seconds. That's the tricky part that separates, you know, the good from the great.
Speaker 10: Yeah, cant he just be kind of a dude watching the game. I think when you look at Romo got out of the gate really fast. That was the reason why, because he was really relaxed on the air, and you could tell Brady was sort of thinking a lot. It seemed pretty obvious Micah Parsons was going to be a point of emphasis for him. He kept circling on and then kind of stopping his thought. His syntax was stilted, and so you got to get to a point where you're just relax. You'd have Kevin Burkhart, who's a really who's a guy who wants to make his analysts better, so he's gonna set them up and try to, you know, have him be successful.
Speaker 9: But it's comfort. It's because it's different. And I think the one thing that I think was a little bit of.
Speaker 10: A red flag if I'm Fox, is that the set pieces that he did first on Saturday during the college football game Texas Michigan and then in the pregame, they weren't great.
Speaker 9: And those are the ones where you know you're you.
Speaker 10: Know this Dan, it's very set up right, you can plan what you're gonna say, and what he said just wasn't It wasn't detailed enough, it wasn't specific enough. It's had more like a player as opposed to an analyst, and that's where you know he can mature in this job. But that's a little bit to me like, ooh, is it there. Like, I'm not saying it's not. I personally think he's gonna probably grow in this job. But that was a little bit of a red flag.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, for twenty years he went to press conferences trying not to tell you something. Now you have to tell me something. Now he has to act like he's quarterbacking. He's got to see the game that way. That's what we want from him.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying go Romo, but I'm saying, you got to be somewhere in the vicinity or the neighborhood of I'm excited about this all. You know, there's nothing wrong with off Mike saying something. If Kevin Burkhardt's making a call like be excited, be in the moment, because when he played the position, he was excited. He's got to be more like on his toes, like into it instead of waiting, you know, for something to happen. You can hear his producer in his ear a couple of times where he just he needs to there has to be a little bit more synchronicity there with his thoughts. Get him out, say something, don't try to be perfect.
Speaker 10: I agree, but it's also comfort level, because I think a lot of times what's lost, especially in a situation like Brady, where you know there could be all kinds of stories. He clearly did this because the check was so large, right, he'd said on the record that he has no interest in doing this. They offered him through an seventy five million dollars for ten years.
Speaker 9: He did it. It's Tom Brady. It is a big deal and if he's good, it will be additive.
Speaker 10: That said, guys like Tom Brady don't dream about calling the Super Bowl. They dream about winning the Super Bowl. So they watch games differently than you and I where we kind of pay attention to the announcers. The announcers are always trending on social media, especially X guys like him generally speaking, and I'm not saying it's possible that he does. You mentioned Johnny Miller during his podcast that was somebody he thought he might be like. He was nothing like Johnny Miller yesterday. But that's something you have to learn. If you're not comfortable doing that, and you're not comfortable when do I get in?
Speaker 9: When do I get out?
Speaker 10: Which they've practiced and thoughts has already shown that they know how to teach a player off the field to be good with Greg Olsen. But it's still it got to be instinctive. It can't be like ooh, I'm supposed to do this.
Speaker 9: It's too fast to do that.
Speaker 2: All right, direct TV ESPN summarize the situation and any hope on the horizon.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think tonight's the big night, Monday Night football, that's Jets San Francisco.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 10: And you know, DirecTV, if you're going to do a deal, you do it before Monday Night football because uh, there's gonna be this is where people really start to get rid of your service.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 9: And so I mean this is where we're going.
Speaker 10: I think ultimately it gets settled, and ultimately DirecTV does get what it wants in terms of what it wants to do is sell what they call skinny bundles, which is you know, smaller packages. You know, forever ESPN has been on basic cable, and you know, it's it was worth the most and it you know, like the bundle actually was better than people thought, dating back for a long time. But now they want to be able to offer just here sports, here's entertainment. And Disney of course wants just to be on basic beyond every cable but for direct TV, and you know their thoughts. For them to survive, they got to be able to compete with the netflixes and with ESPN going direct to consumer next year, and then if they can start their new service, Venue Sports, which is with Fox Sports and Warner Brothers, Discovery, T and T Sports.
Speaker 9: So that's what's I think.
Speaker 10: Ultimately they get their number, the number stays high for their their affiliates, and then they're allowed Directivi's allowed to do these smaller services.
Speaker 2: Talking to Andrew Marshawn, the Athletic Senior sports media columnist, I brought this up when I realized that the NFL was going to push for eighteen games, that I could see the commissioner taking those eighteen, you know, those extra games, and they're all international. So you're telling, you know, these teams, you're going to get X number of home games and then try to set up shop around the world. We're going to go global here. Rich Eisen said this on his show. He could see the international games being sold separately as a package deal. Are we headed in that direction in your opinion?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's really kind of amazing.
Speaker 10: If the NFL was like really greedy and went for more money, I'd be like a kind.
Speaker 9: Of a new thing. I guess it's possible.
Speaker 10: They have one hundred and ten billion dollars worth of agreements already with the major networks and Amazon, so yeah, like they'll sell. So I always say this, the NFL is the best. AT's selling you a pizza and they say, oh, you know what, there's a little clause in here. That half eaten pizza that you have, We're going to sell to somebody else now for you know, a couple of more billion. So the idea of that happening seems very plausible to me.
Speaker 2: Any other sports media topics that we should be aware.
Speaker 10: Of, and you know, I think NFL, you know, we got the Netflix coming up during Christmas is an interesting story to watch.
Speaker 9: And the NBA deal that just went down. I think when you look.
Speaker 10: At what the future of media is, I think there's something that's misunderstood by the general public.
Speaker 9: In my opinion, this is what it's going to be in terms of lot of sports. This is where your sports are.
Speaker 10: Going to be on Because the only real big deal that's coming up, you know, NFL could sell, like you just said, like a sliver of deals. But basically this is what's gonna be until twenty nine when they can opt out and then their contracts go for eleven years if they don't opt out. Is that the NBA just got done. UFC is out there, But this is where Amazon is the new player. If you want to talk about who's gonna fight ESPN for the future of, you know, of being the most dominant, it's probably Amazon. They already have NBA, they already have NFL. They're trying to get local rights in terms of the baseball football, I mean, baseball, hockey, and NBA. So I think Amazon verus ESPN is kind of like our emerging matchup.
Speaker 9: In terms of the in the sports media game.
Speaker 5: Was ESPN gonna buy NFL network?
Speaker 10: I mean they've had talks, but right now those are stalled. Now could they restart again?
Speaker 9: It's possible.
Speaker 10: The NFL has tried to sell NFL media for a long time and they never do it. You know, the NFL is used to being in every negotiation where it's like, this is what we're gonna do, and this is how we're gonna do it. You know, That's why it didn't really work out with Apple and Sunday ticket because Apple is the same way they're used to just telling people what to do and everyone wants to say yes. And so it's not right now, installed not happening at the moment. Could happen eventually still, I think possible, but maybe not probable at this point.
Speaker 5: Good stuff, great to talk to you. Thank you, Andrew.
Speaker 2: Thanks then, Andrew Marsha, the Athletic Senior sports media columnist. Yeah, I never understood the NFL has so much money. But then they stripped down NFL Network and I know they're stripping it down they want to sell it. But still, when they were going to get rid of Good Morning Football, and I'm like, why, they did a great job with that show, and you would think you would want to have these, you know, signature shows, and you know, I'm watching NFL Network and all of a sudden, it just here's another replay of a game. I'm thinking, spend some money because they were going to get rid of Good Morning Football. That was on the that was on the cutting room floor. It felt like and it's a good show. Successful and then but what do I know, you know, just in the air with four dan nets and who knows what do I know, all right, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Seemed like a business that has enough money to do that, though, I would think I mean like I would think that that would And.
Speaker 7: How do you sell NFL Network to someone else? You are the NFL and it's the NFL there the NFL Network brought to you by Hulu. I mean, what would be called you lose control of the product and the content.
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it would be like NBC owns Golf Channel. It's still stay you know, it's a standalone but I don't know if it's Yes, it would still be NFL Network. I'm guessing you would just be owned and probably staffed by ESPN.
Speaker 3: ESPN would be so happy to finally get a bunch of NFL shows ready to go.
Speaker 4: Finally the coverage we've.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we want to add thirteen more NFL shows.
Speaker 5: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to the head coach of Northern Illinois after the big surprise at South Bend against Notre Dame. More of your phone calls as well, best and worst of the weekend. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live, Hey.
Speaker 12: Gang, listen is Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a mental wealth podcast, and every week we will have on leaders from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsey Vaughn, Michael Phelf, David Spade, got Fiemmi and also those who can help us in between the ears, anyone from a therapist to someone like Ed Milett for John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top. We've all used different tools. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: Well sneaking a couple of phone calls here, then we'll talk to Thomas Hammock, the Northern Illinois head coach, who will joinas momentarily James in Virginia. James best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 13: Oh, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 6: Brother.
Speaker 13: Happy Monday, DT, Dane, Salute the commanders.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 13: Well, we know one thing for sure about Washington, Man, same old Washington. A lot of hype but little results. Although JD looks like he might be something, but he's got to deliver from the pocket. Man, I got quite a few things. Man. Shout out to my man, gives them Virginia Man and my boy Gavin. We got up yesterday. Sent the photo into Tyler. Man so great, great time watching all the games. Man and I got a lot to talk about real quick. The Bengals now the Bungals. Man, some overhyped Cardinals. Man could be a playoff team this year. Looking really good. Josh Allen's still great even without all the weapons. Barkley a game changer for the Eagles. Dalla's defense, unfortunately, is for real. Jay still don't know how to close Tyreek Hill is still past, and the Chiefs are still the team to beat. Man, y'all have a great date. Man again, shout out to my man Gibb and gab Man. Y'all have a great date.
Speaker 5: Thank you, James, Thank you. There kind of summed everything up.
Speaker 4: I have to see that picture because I don't believe it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh Sean and Florida. Hi Sean, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Good morning, Dan Patrick and the boy six three one eighty.
Speaker 15: Best to work and a quick start.
Speaker 1: Of the day.
Speaker 8: The best is going to be Baker Mayfield the three year in a row NFC champion Bucks. I'm willing to take a pie in the face bet anyone wants to take anybody winning the NFC South over the Bucks. Baker Mayfield and Mike Evans looking a best bang for the buck, not on rookie contract. Baker Mayfield's got to be looking good. One hundred million dollars we gave him looks like it's paying off for those four touchdowns. My worst of the weekend is going to be CBS cutting away from the Jalen Watt and Tyreek Hill celebration right as he was getting handcuffed and walked away by Jaylen Watto. That was a missed entertaining factor. I really wish they would have shown that on TV. Had to watch it on the internet, but it was still amazing. And my quick stat of the day Buccaneers have not scored an opening drive in twenty one straight games, but we made up for it by scoring on our first five sessions.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Sean, Thank you either way.
Speaker 2: Did you hear Jim Harball after the Chargers beat the Raiders, He had this to say, we got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 9: We've got a lot of work to do now, and you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't get more work done.
Speaker 16: You won't make as much progress in the entire season as you will from.
Speaker 6: Week one to week two.
Speaker 16: I'm telling you this, this is the week to attack.
Speaker 9: But you can't get the two it all without being one of those.
Speaker 2: They gave Harball the game ball. He's like, what, Oh, who's got it better than we do?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 2: Why maybe that was great?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know who's got it better than the Chargers do? Northern Illinois after the win segue. This is how it sounded at the end of the game. Is Northern Illinois beach Notre Dame at Notre Dame?
Speaker 9: Five seconds left and are you up? Sixteen fourteen sixty two yarder? Snap hoole Jeters kick.
Speaker 12: That's fucked.
Speaker 9: It's fucked.
Speaker 12: It's fucked.
Speaker 9: Pick up by YEA big up.
Speaker 17: Bye Huskies.
Speaker 14: I dot it.
Speaker 16: Buskies with the biggest upset NIU history.
Speaker 4: They come to South in Indiana.
Speaker 16: And they knock off the number five team in the country, n i U sixteen Notre Dame fourteen the footback odds, We're shining down.
Speaker 2: Northern Illinois was a twenty eight point underdog in the game, but somehow they pulled it off and their head coach Thomas Hammock joining us on the program. Coach, thanks for joining us. Congratulations. How would you describe the emotional roller coaster of Saturday's game?
Speaker 6: You know, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 18: You know, in the moment you thought back to all the things that we've done to build a program to what it was, and that was just the joy of our players getting a reward, the joy in their face. And so that was a really motion for me after that game because it was just an unbelievable experience. The kids believed they put the work in, and I was just a proud you know, for our program and our players.
Speaker 5: Take me into the locker room at halftime, I.
Speaker 18: Told the players, you know, this is right where we wanted to be, This is right where we expected to be. You know, we are a physical football team, so the physicality never bothershed me. You know, we're big on the office of the beefs, the blind, and so all week I told them, you know, we're going to be where we want to be in this game from a physical standpoint if we handle the environment early and our first kickoff return we let the ball bounce and got the ball at the two yard line. I thought, hey, this has a chance to get away from us, but they stayed in a fight. And when we got the halftime, I said, listen, and we win one half of football, we win the game. And we were able to get that done.
Speaker 2: But you're telling these kids there in South Bend playing against Notre Dame, most of them probably didn't even get recruited by Notre Dame, and you got to quiet them down a little, calm them down a little bit, but you still want them to be fired up. So how do you walk that tightrope there?
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know, the night before the game, I talked to them, I said, listen, the rocket Ismael.
Speaker 6: Is not running down that tunnel.
Speaker 18: And by the look on they face, I realized they had no idea who I was talking about. So then I had to take it a step further. I said, you know, Joe Montana, Ricky Waters, Jerome Bettis and so they understood those guys, but I guess what I want and then to understand was we were playing the twenty twenty four Notre Dame team. We're not playing the nostalgia of Notre Dame. And they stayed in a moment from that standpoint, and I was happy to see it.
Speaker 5: You should have showed them the movie Rudy, you know what.
Speaker 18: I thought about that early in the week, But then I thought Rudy came out when I was a kid, so I know for sure.
Speaker 6: You know, they have no idea what we was about.
Speaker 5: It hits you right after the game.
Speaker 19: You got emotional, Yes, you know, because I talked to our team before the season about the breakthrough and I told them a bamboo takes five years to break through the surface, and when it breaks through the surface, it grows ninety feet.
Speaker 6: Well, this is our sixth year.
Speaker 18: We've done a lot of watering and a lot of you know, getting these guys to mature, and that felt like we started to break through at that moment, and I was just, you know, flush with a wave of emotion that was unexpected. I'm normally not an emotional guy in that capacity, but I thought about all the players that have been a part of helping us build it, all the coaches that have been a part of helping us build it, and it was a great moment.
Speaker 2: What it feels like the college football nation is surprised. It doesn't feel like you're surprised you beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame.
Speaker 6: No, I wasn't surprised.
Speaker 18: And to take it a step further, you know, I meet with my staff on a you know, game day in the mornings and I told him, I said, listen, I had a dream we were gonna win this game by a field goal. I know, I said, I had a dream the game was gonna come down to a field goal. And I said, I woke up, so I can't tell you what happened. I'm not I'm not that I'm not that good, but I had a dream that it came down to a field goal. In the week before, we had some issues on you know, extra point, and so I had that nervousness going about me.
Speaker 6: But I'm glad it turned out the way it did.
Speaker 2: Thomas Hammock, the Northern Illinois head coach, You got a bye week this week?
Speaker 5: Do you wish you were playing? Are you glad you got to buy it?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 6: I am glad. I am glad we have a bye week.
Speaker 18: First of all, you know, obviously I've grown up watching you, but like doing these type of things, it wouldn't be possible. We had a game this week and getting our players offer the emotional hide that they've been on. This is a great week we got, we got improvement practices, so we really can lock them back in as a coaching staff to get them ready for you know, our next game.
Speaker 2: Did anybody surprise you reaching out after you beat Notre Dame.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm a huge Yankees fan. Huge. I grew up in Jersey City, New Jersey, and Aaron Boone texted me.
Speaker 18: Sunday morning and you I mean, you know, for me, that was you know, you can you know, that was just an unbelievable text from him. You know, he's in season for him to do that, and uh, you know, being from the East Coast and listen that that that that one got me.
Speaker 5: What did Coach Freeman say to you after the game?
Speaker 6: You know, he was very complimentary.
Speaker 18: You know, I had a chance to talk to him before the game and just told him, you know how five I was of him and you know, having an opportunity to leave that program.
Speaker 6: Uh, and he was, you know, my first time meeting him. I don't know him at all, and he was very down on earth, very humble. You know, you figure, guys, the head coach, you know, the Dame.
Speaker 18: He don't have to talk to me, but for him to take time to speak to me, and then obviously after the game he was very complimentary, which I thought was pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Did Notre Dame recruit you?
Speaker 18: Oh no, No, I wasn't. I wasn't Notre Dame material from a football standpoint. I was not the day material from an academic standpoint. But from a football standpoint, I wasn't close.
Speaker 2: Uh, you gotta gotta bring him back down to earth today practice.
Speaker 18: Yeah, you know, we gotta buy a week. I get him a couple of days off. I'm from there. I'm from the NFL, right, and so you know, if you win going into it by you give him some more time off. If you lose, you get them back on the practice. So, uh, you know, I gave him a couple of days to get themselves back. But you know, I'm looking at these emails about academics, so I'm on that, you know, guys turning in work and different things like that, because we are we are coaches and teachers, and that's still a part of the job.
Speaker 2: Congrats, I know it's a long time coming. You've done a great job there with your alma mater, and uh, don't screw it up the rest of the season.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Thank you, coach, thank you, and go Husky.
Speaker 2: Thomas Ammick Northern Illinois head coach. Now he used to be the Ravens running back coach. He also ran for one thousand yards in two different seasons when he played at Northern Illinois. But that's fun. And you know what sometimes we bring out I do this with my kids, all bring up references. They have no idea who I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: So here he is trying to fire up his kids.
Speaker 2: Rocket Ismail's not coming out of the tunnel, and then they're looking at him like, we don't know who rocket Ismail is. Joe Montana is not coming out there?
Speaker 4: Was he good or something?
Speaker 5: Or who? Who's it? Jerome Bettist?
Speaker 4: Was that his real first name? Rocket?
Speaker 2: And then you know, do you bring up Rudy like I don't know and he's like, they don't even know Rudy came out when he was a kid. Give these references sometimes, and we do this. We're guilty of this. I'll bring up a reference. Todd does it all the time. You bring up a reference from the eighties and it probably goes right over the head of you know, members of the audience.
Speaker 20: Gip Lockwood, good picture with the Mets.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I think most of our audience was alive in the eighties.
Speaker 8: Do you think that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure we really have to worry about.
Speaker 2: That, Okay, Yeah, with our references here, yeah, I think we're okay.
Speaker 5: You know, you're trying to give that great speech.
Speaker 2: Rocket is brothers that Joe mauntin at ten is not coming out of there. You know, you're getting them all fired up, and they look at you like, who's Tony right, who's Lou Holtz?
Speaker 5: No, the guy who says they put their pants on shame way way, dudes, is he a quarterback?
Speaker 14: Or oh.
Speaker 4: Were those guys good? Or why would we know that the rocket?
Speaker 2: Let's see Dukes in Washington? Hey, Dukes, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: I wanted to tell you I had three worst of the weekend, but now moved to five. I got first my Colts losing. I've got second, I thought Tom Brady was gone being a Colt fan, and then third, I thought Chris Collinsworth was getting ready to retire, and here comes his son. It sounds exactly like him, and then i got Notre Dame Mousing, and then I've got my direct TV loose in the games, and I'm just kind of mad that I spent the four to fifty on the Sunday ticket. Right now, do with that which you will have a good day, guys.
Speaker 2: Alrighty dukes, keep your hat out there, Jeff and Austin.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jeff, what's on your mine?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 14: Dan?
Speaker 11: This is Jeff, first time caller, a longtime listener. Uh, six ' to two in a hearty to sixty five. Got a best and the worst, and a stat of the day. The best was the Longhorn stumping Michigan up in ann Arbor, and uh, the worst was I sat xab you're worthy and Baker Mayfield on my bench in my fantasy league. That kind of killed me a little bit. But saut of the day, Quinn yours is the only quarterback in college history to beat Alabama at home and Michigan at ann Arbor, and he beat them both by double digits.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 20: Statu the Day Statu the day stat of the day, Statu the day Statu to day stat Today Statu the.
Speaker 2: Day stat stat of the Day, Brought you by Panini America the official trading cards of the program. Texas the first school to beat Michigan and Alabama on the road in consecutive seasons. Notre Dame did that back in nineteen seventy nine and nineteen eighty.
Speaker 5: Paul and Iowa. Hi, Paul, Hey, well seating first.
Speaker 14: Before I get to my best and worst of the weekend, you said most of your audience was alive in the eighties. I how about instead of height and late, let's get a ding for nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Paul.
Speaker 14: Best of the weekend. It is a cyclone state. Here go Iowa state. All is what it should be, No, Brian Farrens, no problem. Worst of the weekend, check on your buddy, because in the largest eliminator challenge in the world on the Mothership, three out of ten people pick the Cincinnati Bengals to win in week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that it was close to forty percent of people in these what are they suicide pools where you have to or you know, elimination where you got to pick a winner every week, and people pick Cincinnati over New England start the season. I mean that is a smart pick, but you know you're out one and done. All right, we'll take a break, we'll come back. We will give you our best and worst to the weekend.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Time for the Dan Nets to give you their best and worst to the weekend. By the way, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the AUMP to watch the program. The interesting games, we should look ahead, and I know we got Jets and the Niners coming up, but the interest game coming up next weekend. Caleb Williams versus CJ.
Speaker 5: Stroun.
Speaker 2: This is where you go. Now we can kind of measure them side by side. Might be too early for Caleb Williams to be put in that position, but that's week two, one of the games.
Speaker 6: And c J.
Speaker 2: Stroud look good, Look good, look comfortable, like decisive. That's what you want a lot of times. And you could see this with all three rookies who started at quarterback over the weekend. You're indecisive and you can't be. It's got to be. I'm going there, I'm going there. It's when they start to think, and then you think you can run your way out of trouble because you can see Caleb Williams a couple of times going out. I used to do this at USC all the two Oh whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. These guys are really fast now, Jaden Daniels, Hey, I used to do this at LSU and Arizona State. Yeah, I can still, I can still do it. He might rush for a thousand yards. I don't want that if I'm a commander's fan. And then with bo Nicks, you could see him he was thinking and then all of a sudden got picked off a couple of times. But we've seen debuts before and this is what we do. And it's not really fair because fair comparison. If I go back and I go, yeah, but Peyton Manning was terrible as rookie year or John Elway he wasn't good, or we can run down the list. It was a different game than it is now with these quarterbacks who come in ready to play. They're running pro style offenses. And you know, Peyton and John are you know, two of the ten greatest quarterbacks of all time. It's a learning process. Some get it. It clicks once again, remember c J. Stround wasn't good at making decisions at the line of scrimmage. Whoever leaked that out embarrassing that they did it. You know, it's a character assassination as if he's not smart enough to process. That's really what they're saying. And we've seen c J. Stroud's really good. And I don't know if Bryce Young is ever going to have the opportunity to be good because I'm watching and it wasn't pretty. But you know, it's a it's a team effort. That wasn't pretty at all. I mean the Saints. Who would have thought there were people who thought that that Wait nobody, Yeah, you're watching and you go, okay. It just with Carolina it feels systemic like this, this isn't getting anywhere anytime soon. And with Bryce Young, when you're the number one pick, when you you trade up to get him, oh boy, Now it's not as bad a trade as Deshaun Watson, you know that Cleveland made with the Texans. I mean, that might be historically the worst trade in NFL history. It might play out that way, but if Caleb Williams becomes a Hall of Famer, you I mean, they got an awful lot in that trade. So Bryce Young can't be just good. Bryce Young has got to be great. But CJ. Stroud being really good bordering on great makes it even worse, all right, Todd Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 20: I think Bryce's first pass attempt was an interception. By the way yesterday three, we'll have to advance start immediately.
Speaker 5: Yeah, best of the weekend.
Speaker 20: We just spoke with him. The postgame emotions of Northern Illinois head coach Thomas Hammock after his Husky stun. Number five not number five anymore, Notre Dame in South Bend. Worst of the weekend co worst Michigan and Colorado two games I was really looking forward to watching, and Texas and Nebraska just manhandled them.
Speaker 5: And I hope Nebraska gets some attention here.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned it a couple times because with Dion, if they win, they get credit. If they lose, you know they're going to be a focal point as well. But Nebraska, to me, was the story. I was really impressed with Nebraska and the atmosphere. It almost felt like there's a rebirth there of Nebraska football.
Speaker 5: Satan Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 3: My best of the weekend is actually the Cowboys. I'm happy with what they did. They wrapped up Deck, took care CD Micah will get to you when we need to. But now you just get out there, you play football. They beat the Browns like they were supposed to do. Those all feel like very positive moves to me. And they finally made a decision on Deck too, like just either you know, do it or get off the pot kind of thing, and they did great, fantastic. My worst of the weekend is I think it was the Cardinals' final drive of the game. They're losing, and it's like, this is you can make it happen here, right, this is let's see what Kyler's got. He hits a wide receiver at about thirty thirty five yards out that hits him right in the chest, but the dude pulls up and because he doesn't want to get hits, he drops that. Kyler then misses a wide open Marvin Harrison Junior in the end zone.
Speaker 4: That wasn't great.
Speaker 3: They decided for some reason to run a draw like or run up the middle at on third and ten, which is a very surprising decision. There was two missed pass interference calls THEREK, yeah, I saw that one that was definitely One of them might not have been, but one of them definitely was. It was like everything that could have possibly gone wrong in that drive one by one actually did where everybody let each other down. There was a bad play call, a bad miss by the quarterback, a massive drop by a wide receiver, and two miss calls by the ref. It's like, man, how does all of that happen in just one drive?
Speaker 5: But and Josh Allen, he had a couple of moments there.
Speaker 17: Good stuff, Marvin, Get out of my head, DP, Josh Allen, that's my best of the weekend. Two rushing touchdowns, two passing tds eighteen to twenty three thirty two yards and a comeback went over the Cardinals worse than weekend the New York Giants.
Speaker 5: I don't know what was worse, the uniforms or they're on their performance.
Speaker 2: Well, PAULI goes, wait, the Montreal Canadians are on the football field, and I go wait, Now I flip over and I go, oh my god, wow, you got to warn us, like there should be a fore warning that we're going to be wearing those jerseys. Maybe there was? What is this the one hundredth anniversary. Okay, yeah, Polm.
Speaker 7: But I think we decide if we like uniforms based off how good the team is. If the Giants had like forty points in one yesterday, they would have embraced those uniforms and say let's bring them back.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: It's like the Packers used to those throwbacks with the tan pants, and but the Packers were winning, so they're like, oh, these are pretty cool. The Giants unifors and helmets were I thought cool, but they stink the team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't like the uniform.
Speaker 2: This is when they when they came out, I'm like, nope, nope, nope, no, don't like it. You know, the Steelers and Packers that built up some cachet, some house credit when they bring those throwback uniforms.
Speaker 5: And we're like, look at that, look at the backers, look at Steelers. Yes, marm.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 17: They had Lawrence Taylor go out with them. They had Eli Manning there, Phil Simms. They were ready to go. Let's go until the game started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they weren't playing. Did you have a Oh that was my worst? Yeah? Okay, Paulie, Best and worst to.
Speaker 7: Best both college football. The Fun Game Oklahoma State versus Arkansas, double overtime. Arkansas had it and they let it go a number of times. Of course, Oklahoma State is led by Alan Bowman, their quarterback, I mean doctor Allan Bowman, seventh year, third team that's not to be out He outdoes a little bit. Another very good game was Boise States versus Oregon in Oatston Stadium thirty seven thirty four Oregon. Remember the Ducks are led by Dylan Gabriel, who was also on his third franchise. Dylan Gabriel uc for three years, then he brought his talents to Oklahoma. Now is at Oregon at age twenty three.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. We'll recap hour two with the poll results. There phone calls age seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler's sitting body to take your phone calls. Make sure you jump in if you want some tailgate moonshine. It's the latest flavor, Jalapeno Lime. A few bottles left at it available at Danpatrick dot com