Speaker 1: This is Alec Baldwin, and you were listening to Here's the Thing from iHeart Radio. It's officially summer, and that means it's time for our tradition at Here's the Thing, where our staff shares their favorite episodes in our Summer Staff series. Next up is our engineer Frank Imperial.
Speaker 2: Thanks Alec. When trying to choose one of my favorite episodes from the archives, it didn't take long to land on Mick Fleetwood, the drummer of Fleetwood Mac. It's one of the most popular episodes in our history. With good reason. Here's Alex's twenty twenty one conversation with Mick Fleetwood.
Speaker 3: You say we want agree?
Speaker 1: That is, of course Dreams by Fleetwood Mac. Thanks to a TikTok of some guy on a skateboard who goes by the name Dogface lip syncing to this song and his seventy two million views, Fleetwood Mac's album Rumors broke through Rolling Stone's top one hundred list again last year, more than forty years after its release. My guest today is Mick Fleetwood, a founding member of Fleetwood Mac. Fleetwood Mac existed for nearly a decade before the lineup. We think of today with Mick Fleetwood, John mcvee, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks. But when Fleetwood Mac formed in London in the late nineteen sixties, it was Peter Green's idea.
Speaker 4: Well, I would be remiss. Peter Green start at Fleetwood Mac, the original guitar player. I was at his right hand side, John McVie. All of us have played in the band called John Male's Blues Breakers, Eric McK taylor, Peter Green. And I'm saying that because they would represent great guitar players that came out of that band that have more than made their mark in my world. And so Peter asked me to play drums. Already had played with them in a funny band with Rod Stewart for a short while, so we won't go into that. So it was really a team of people that Peter John McVie especially came out of a pedigree which was absolute devotion to an art form, the blues. And really all our heroes were American blues artists. And you are well aware I can tell about the irony of a bunch of funny little white kids in England really preserving an art form that had long since been you know, I won't use the bad word, but you know, pooped on by the American sort of glossing over of something that was so evident. So we were all from that framework, and when we formed Fleetwood Mac, it was all about our lovely, semi innocent way of emulating our heroes. And if you listen to the first few albums that we before Peter especially started really writing, like when you look at early Rolling Stones, it's Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry and with anyone, you see the development into self expression, and that's what transpired afterward. But the original band was all about that and a little team of people sharing something and having a lot of fun with it, you know, creatively that turned into something a little bit more than we ever could have possibly have imagined.
Speaker 1: The year that you formed the band with Green, what year was that?
Speaker 4: Nineteen sixty seven Windsor Jazz Festival, and the band was called Fleetwood Mac by Peter Green, who could have very easily become the Jeff Beck or the Jimmy Page or the Eric Clapton gunslinger guitar player. That's a whole nother story, is a lovely story, and an attribute to Peter's generosity. We played the Windsor Jazz Festival intended as you can tell, with the name of Fleetwood Mac the name was my name and John McVie, which Peter chose, and John was still playing in John Mayle's Blues Breakers on the same show. Watched the band he's supposed to be in from from the side of the stage, and about three months later he joined. He's a Scotsman, so he's very thrifty with whatever amount of money he does have. So when we had enough gigs, he said, I'm ready to join, which.
Speaker 1: Was when you've made it worth my while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it worth my way.
Speaker 1: I know there'll be no net loss in my income. I join you. I'll meet you there at the club.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And that's what happened.
Speaker 1: And when you say that Green could have been in this pantheon of great guitar players, was this something he didn't want, that he did not want that level of fame and that level of attention.
Speaker 4: No, it was very evident. And the end story, which of course went into a very changed person. He was my dearest of dearest of friends and my mentor. You know, he gave me so much encouragement as a player and super fun person, but unbelievably deep down, way more sensitive than a bunch of chaps, including himself, had ever realized. And he eventually became sick and so came to a sort of journey that was for a while was a living tragedy for me selfishly, but then you learned to accept him as he turned out. But back then everything he did was about being just really generous. And I read an article after you know, you think, well, what was the real story? And for instance would be that someone asked him why was the bank or fleet with Mac and he said, well, I figured at that point i'd broken up with my lovely girlfriend Jenny, who I later married, and I had played with Peter, and he had his eyes on another drummer as a turned out, and he said, why did you pick Mick? And of course my little less than self would have thought, well, maybe you thought I was a good drummer, you know. And what it was, he said, I wanted Mick to play the drums cause I got so fed up with seeing him so sad that I thought it would give him something to do. And I thought that was the greatest thing that you could ever hear from a lovely friend, and that really sums it up about how it was not about him, and he created a platform which served me.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: My father was an Air Force chap so the word to serve, to serve, well, that's what I think I learned to do with all of how the madness of this band and the incarnates of just are you kidding me that if you wrote this down, you say, it's not possible this bunch could possibly have survived with all of the ups and downs and character changes and changing the script as you go along, and yet there's still a story. Peter started that and handed that to me. I think when he welcomed everyone, including me, Danny Kerwin who joined the original band, Jeremy Spencer, they were all there so that Peter did not want to be king Tut in the front there taking all the limelight, and I think it was way more meaningful in sense of where he came from. It's just he wanted to be in a band, and he created that band and made sure the band was not called Peter Greens anything, because he could of very easily, and I always thank him for that. The name Fleetwood Mac he was asked and he said, well, I always thought that I would probably move on, which he did under very strange circumstances, unfortunately for us. And he said I wanted Mick and John to have something. And I saw and heard this interview years and years and years and years later, like finding out a family relative will tell you what the real story was, and sometimes it's mind blowing and sometimes it's hugely moving and gratifying to hear. And that was one of them.
Speaker 1: You didn't start drumming till you were thirteen, correct.
Speaker 4: Officially, but yeah, I would say I started hitting furniture when I was about eight.
Speaker 1: What changed when you were thirteen that you were like, I want a drum now? On a serious level, what changed?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I would think that first of all, being completely on some shape or form, completely dyslexic, and had not one iota of any academic prowess whatsoever at school. So there I was struggling with great parents. So I never felt threatened or less than that. I couldn't. I still don't know my alphabet or I mean, if my whole family was lined up, God forbid and said.
Speaker 1: You don't have to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I know, but a lot of people say you're kidding me. It's a lot of people say about what I do when I play drums. I said, actually, I sort of really don't know what I'm doing, to tell you the real truth, and they go, well, it's not. Then they start arguing with you, go, how can you do that? You're full of shit? You know, you know? I said, no, no, it just comes out. I have no idea, so I blundered into it. But I would think that the love and the one thing that I could grab onto was the fact that I for some reason, I used to play tapping on furniture, which I mentioned to back in Norway when I was much younger and we'd traveled to Egypt. So I remember these leather little funny we call them tufto's or something, things stuffed with newspaper that sound really cool their leather. They're the sort of Ottoman things. And I Mum would listen to the home service and do the cleaning and have a Dubonne and have a one cigarette of the day. This is when I was probably about six or seven in Norway, and I remember listening to the radio and tapping on I don't know why on furniture, but Daddy used to tap on coins and do military things in his pocket, and he would play bottles with water in them at parties. So I vaguely remember that. I don't think that's why I did it, but I think my quantum leap was a blessing and it was like a divine intervention of sorts that the one thing I loved doing. I had this obsession with collecting drum catalogs and fantasies of gold and sparkling instruments that you were in my dream. So at boarding school the last thing I did, I had this whole package filled with brushures that opened one to the other, and I think I saw my way out. And when Dad said do you want to go to college, and he didn't have any money, but he was obviously making it available for me, and with tears in our eyes, and I said, Daddy, I want to go to London and play drums. And by that time I had had my little drum kit, almost a toy drum kit, in the house. And I think it was my learning disability that drove me. By some happen sence, both my sisters went into the arts. One was a very fine actress, Susan with the Royal Shakespeare Company, and my elder sister was an art student at the Polytechnic, so we were all completely academically useless. So I had the blessing that Mom and dad said, then, my god, it's probably the only one thing he really thinks he can do. And that was he encouraged you absolutely just I had complete and utter, not one iota of any cynicism whatsoever, and they sent me off with a drum kit to London wrapped in a blanket. My father wrote a poem about.
Speaker 1: It, mckfleetwood. If you love conversations with iconic musicians who also happen to be members of long lasting bands, be sure to check out my conversation with The Who's legendary frontman Roger Daltrey from our archives. Daughtrey talked about the first time he swung a microphone around on stage. No one told me. I got used to myself once they.
Speaker 5: Went into the free form in the early days in the late sixties. It just came out of boredom I was. I couldn't stand there and be like Robert Plant. I wasn't cool enough. I just needed to dance, So I didn't want to dance like an ordinary dancer. So I just started to play with it and it just got bigger and energy and channel the energy. And then Pete started jumping and that legendary jump of him. He's like a kangaroo. And but the whole thing was kind of in with the music. It became like a ballet, didn't it. It was kind of extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Here the rest of my conversation with Roger Daltrey and here's the Thing dot Org. After the break we talk about the women who became essential to the group's sound. I'm Alec Baldwin and you're listening to Here's the Thing. That's Christine mcvee performing the Songbird. Mcvee joined Fleetwood Mac in nineteen seventy when Peter Green left. She'd married John mcvee a couple of years before. Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined in nineteen seventy five. I wanted to know if when Christine joined there was any pressure to include a woman.
Speaker 4: Well, Christine, for sure, any lovely lady out that would not take it wrong. She was a musician, and she was a great piano player, and her experience was already integrated with being I'm a player and It was nothing of the sort that it was a woman or a man. It was just who you are and what you do. Truly, it was that and she cherishes that to this day because we call her the rock.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: She's like, she doesn't rely on anything other than no prissy stuff. I am who I am, and am I delivering what you need? And she has that respect. So she came into the band as a player, literally, and there was no thought she knew John, which had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 1: Is your name really perfect? Is it Christine perfect? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And John would say she was perfect before she married me.
Speaker 1: Well, Jack, So.
Speaker 4: That was really it. It was not about having a lady in the bout we need a girl, No, it was about really really great musician, bloody good piano player.
Speaker 1: Let me just say, let me interject this because it's true, which is that in that world there is nobody who casts on me like Christine mcne I mean, I love her singing beyond believe. I mean she does something to me that I can't even describe. She's her bir singing is so beautiful, you.
Speaker 4: Know, So I can second that, right right, right.
Speaker 1: So she's with you in the band, and then you decide to have another woman join the band. So Buckingham, you asked him to join the band.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bob Welch had left at rather short notice, and I knew Bob extremely well, really lovely, hugely interesting chap. So he left. But prior to that, I've been in the studio sound City to try and find a studio to record the next album with Fleetwood. Matt he leaves and I meet Stevie and Lindsay after the fact, having heard Keith played to demonstrate the studio part of the Buckham Nick Nick's album that he'd made with them, the album, and then Bob left. Then I made a phone call and I said, you know that music you were playing? Who What?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 4: And you're right, I was looking for a guitar player. So I forever have Stevie to this day in a comedic sense, but always with a knife in my back that it wasn't really me that you wanted, it was Lindsay, which was true, and in very short form, Lindsay made it very clear that if he was to join, which was not a slam dunk at the beginning, because he and Stevie were thinking about going forward in their own world, and she actually persuaded Lindsay to join the band pretty much. She got fed up with waiting tables and stuff, so she came somewhat originally by default, and yet not because the real story is it was very evident early on. Although Stevie said, you know, loves to dig at me, it was that, first of all, Lindsay was incredibly loyal to her and I'm not going to do this without her. Boom over. Then it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize these songs, these beautiful songs were co written by both Lindsay and Stevie. And then you listen to the vocal blend, which is none other than going like when you hear the Everly Brothers, you go like, oh my god, that this joined at the hip and they came in short form into the band as a duo, which was a merciful decision when I look back, that Lindsay did not desert her and said I'm here, but I'm here with my partner, and that's how that happened.
Speaker 1: I've asked other very successful artists, such as yourself in the music world, what does a producer do for you when you're in a studio, when you're making a record, who's the decider, who decides what take what track, this vocal track, this drum track, whatever. But when you had a collaboration with the producer that helped you, what did they do for you?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the simple form would be that we as a band no matter what, which is not always the case, and it's not always the magic formula. A lot of people just totally excel by being guided and permanently told what to do and have a mirror that's a reflection from another aspect, another interpretation of really who they truly are, And that's fine. That was so not how we grew up into and blustered into what we were doing. So I would say that anyone that's worked, including Keith Mike Vernon, the first record producer, was probably the most influential that he was a blues fanatic and he ran that little label we were on called Blue Horizon and after that, so he would be picking songs here and there with Peter and the band. After that, it's really about are you a band member meaning them? How's the aesthetic of your chemistry being able to not insist but integrate right into the fabric of being in a band. And that's what I would always look out for, and I think that's been our success has been absolute expression with a mirror of sorts, but someone who's really listening to and having an empathy with what am I dealing with here, especially later on when we became very much five separate, expressive people that whoever it was, you have to look back on and give them huge amounts of credit. Has been some form of a social director more than an artistic director. And I lost all my hair because I was both.
Speaker 1: But would you say, when you say five distinct beings, there was a period when they weren't there were a unit and they were a unit during what period? And what was that like and what changed that? Musically?
Speaker 4: Well, Fleetwood Mac was already a stage that existed, and Fleetwood Mac was always about change so that you were accepted for who you were. Anyone should express themselves. You know, when I look back on it, that's in a naive way what I must have understood, especially being a drama when you go, oh, what the hell am I going to do if I don't have a front line and people that are delivering the play. You know, not to diminish who I am and what I am, but that was my function probably more than anything. So they came as different characters walking on that stage, and if you see and hear the music, you go none of it makes any sense. None of them were clones of anyone. They were all completely their own entity. So what they had to learn.
Speaker 1: Was to be in a band.
Speaker 4: Everyone was extremely unhappy emotionally on the making of rumors and Lindsay's sitting on the floor and it's tough. You know, no one ever intended to leave or anything. But one time I remember sitting in the studio at the record plant with Lindsay and he just turned around and said, I don't know where I can do this, you know, it's just, you know, we're in transition here. And his interpretation was can I be in a band? Can I be in a band? Especially with the pressure of is this what it's like being in a band? You're emotionally exposed? And everyone was. We were all in you know, I'm drifting into the area where we promised we wouldn't go. But so I just sat with him and he was playing a setar I remember it distinctly, and I said, then you must go. If it's self preservation don't destroy that. Don't destroy us because of the play in essence, Peter Green. Yeah, And I said, I don't have any ultimate apart from if it's that bad, then you have to go. And then I segued and I said, this is what it is. Everything is a compromise. When you're walking on a stage and sharing that that stage and this is that stage, and I'm not forcing you. I'd extremely sad if halfway through an album you just can't finish it out. And he didn't say much. He just said I understand, and he stayed.
Speaker 1: A guy once said to me, and he was much younger than me, and this is maybe like ten years ago. I was in my early fifties. It was in the lines of advice to him for his career, and I said, well, do you really want like the cold, hard, unvarnished You want it with the bark On or the bark off? Yeah, And I said, if you want it with the bark On, then don't get married till you're forty, don't have any kids to your forty, give yourself you're not just your twenties but your thirties. Give this everything thing you have. If you want to be an actor, with a real prime If you want to be Leo DiCaprio, you want to be a guy who's like at the top of the pile and making movies with the best directors, the best scripts. Everything's the best, the budgets, the release dates, everything. If you want to surf that wave all the way to the shore, then you have to make this the most important thing in your life. Do you find that that was true for you as well?
Speaker 4: I think in retrospect we didn't know because you're in it. But as a comment, I think it's entirely correct and proven out in no uncertain terms of time and time and time and time and time and time.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 4: Are the miracles that slip through and survive like a built in version of what you've just said. In terms of advice, yeah, few and far between. It really puts a wall that you don't even realize that you're putting up, where you're so into what you're doing that people get left out and feel pushed away. So ideally, I think your advice is entirely correct, but that advice is always almost in retrospect for anyone.
Speaker 1: It's but I'm wondering also with three men, I mean asleep with mac is most renowned for its three men and two women, and neither one of those women has children?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 1: Were they people that were going through life and they were like, well, we're going to get to that, and the next year they turned around they were like wow, twenty five years wait by like nothing.
Speaker 4: You know, I would say if either Chris or Stevie, I feel comfortable in this conversation saying there was no doubt that they made that decision to dedicate their lives to their careers with flashes of what if, But I think both of these ladies would have no problems saying that that was the order of the conscious choice. Yeah, yeah, interesting, very interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now when people ask me about my drug use, I say that I snorted a line of cocaine from here to Saturn. Then we did a line of cocaine on the rings of sat and then we took it home with another line.
Speaker 4: Oh, I've got your beat. I'm sure I think your description is that actually more far reaching than mine? A planetary version, But my version of that would be and I've never lived it down, but you know, I have no problem at all apart from don go there. And then you have the war stories which this is sort of tending to be. And I'll preface it by saying war stories are fine, but there's a time and place and what can you learn from them would be my little lesson for anyone listening. So having said that, my transgression was, which was some awful interview I did, and I said, well, I one time, you know, I was in the studio and I'm talking about my Well, how much coke do you think I've ever done? This was like in our private world, and we measured out a good semi fat line of cocaine and then duplicated it, and then X amount of years, so in the lasting something amount of years we actually worked it out instead of cutting tape and editing the song together. We got into a transgression of actually working out probably about how long would that line be? And it was seven miles long, apparently, And I never lived that down and years all, especially in England, whether they love all that terrible stuff. And I have to sit there not talking about if you'd be like someone talking about something in your life versus the play I'm in or the script I've just written or the book I've just you know, and you go you go like, well, live with it because you opened your mouth in the first place all those years ago, and mine would be one of probably quite a few transgressions in terms of that. But comedically, so I still get asked, you know, was it really seven miles long? And I looked down to my trouser and go, well, I wished.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm thirty five years sober. I got sober a long time ago in la For you, did you feel that when that stopped? Because for me, when it stopped, there were good things, but there were also bad things because you're forced to confront everything. You know, if you are if you go out in the world and you don't drink and you don't take drugs and minim commenting on you, but speaking for myself, you are kind of unarmored, and you need to go out and face the world that you need to resolve all your problems. You can't sit in the problem anymore. You've got to dissolve things and confront things and clean up the masks and so forth. And I'm wondering for you what happened to you musically once you stopped abusing yourself.
Speaker 4: Well, I still drink, but the marching powder was a massive part of my life for probably way over twenty years.
Speaker 1: God, it's a long time.
Speaker 4: I don't even know. It's a fucking miracle.
Speaker 1: So that's a long time to have that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I was known as the king of tout and everyone would always know that I wouldn't hold it, you know. And then I did hit a brick wall and it was like slow motion. And my mother Biddy would always say, because they're hugely supportive, almost blindly supported, Oh, it's no problem at all. Whenever he wants to stop, he can stop it, you know, all those catchphrases. And I always sort of thought that I could. And then I hit a brick wall literally, and someone that I shared my life with said, I'm I'm done. I can't be around this anymore. And I said, please don't go leave me alone for two days, and that's what I did and never touched the stuff since overnight. It's divine intervention, but it's also misplaced in terms of that. That's when I probably should have gone into a program and found out what you touched on, what were those reasons? And I've done that since a couple of times with drink and had a sort of a wake up call and I just thought it was fun. I was around people telling me literally countless horror stories of what had happened to them, especially when there were children and young and I had no support and all sorts of terrible things. And I just said, I feel so terrible because I just thought it was fun until it wasn't. And I still actually haven't found the key of what was that. My parents didn't drink unduly, had an incredible supportive childhood. But that brick wall.
Speaker 1: Was it insecurity about being in public? Maybe? Oh, I think out there and being famous. I mean Fleetwood Mac. I mean this music was coming out of every clamshell on the beach for a while. Yeah, every horse in the park was singing you can go your own way. You know. It was like this music was everywhere, everywhere. There were so many songs that were just washing over you. It was like in the air all the time. Was that unsettling for you? Fame and all that attention. Did you need to medicate yourself to get through that period?
Speaker 4: I would say immediately. Notice how quickly I went. No, But I do get nervous about performing. If someone said make a speech and read the speech to three thousand people, I would be really put upon, go out on stage and just talk to someone I love, not even a question. I know people around me that all of the trimmings of what you just mentioned would be. Was that something that freaked you out? I have to say no, because of the way I was brought up. It was just fantastic and fun. But actually performing and delivering certain aspects, I would have to say, did bring out a fundamental some form of academic calling out that you don't know quite what you're doing, and therefore you're shitting yourself. And therefore I know for a fact. For years, and I played sober for fifteen years, the real truth is I didn't enjoy it. So when I play now, I have one bottle of red wine and I'm fairly well behaved, and without it, I can't even breathe. And I've tried hypnosis, I've tried everything known to mankind to get over it and breathing, and I had a guy like meditating with me on the road when I really really really really really didn't drink. All I can say is that instead of enjoying myself, I had my road manager with a brown paper bag so I could breathe into it to stop myself getting high anxiety. I don't enjoy it, and it's because of the element, which has nothing to do with fame and fortune. It's actually who are you? What are you in the moment and being called out like being in the class that I didn't I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Mcfleetwood. Subscribe to Here's the Thing on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. While you're there, leave us a review. I really appreciate it. Few bands have managed to survive longer than Fleetwood Mac. When we return the surprising resurgence of interest in the band's nineteen seventy seven album Rumors.
Speaker 6: Yes, the same kind of story.
Speaker 1: It seems to come down long ago. That's the song hypnotized recorded during the Bob Welch era of Fleetwood Mac. Mick Fleetwood has been the drummer of Fleetwood Mac for more than fifty years. And as there's usually one person in every long lasting band that brings them back together, I asked who was that person for Fleetwood Mac.
Speaker 4: It would be me and and that was and is and has been my function. I imaged it a while ago, not not any big deal, but I'm going like, you know, because I don't write, I don't sing, although I'm enjoying doing some of that now, which is interesting, really actually interesting to be able to make a private fool of yourself with no pressure. I said, I think my story would be and I'm really happy about it and quietly proud of it. That my function was that I drifted into it, I learnt it. And me and John always wanted to have a band to be in. Why wouldn't you? And I said, I think that story is my song.
Speaker 1: You're a musical catalory. You can see so many beautiful songs. It's beautiful music, and the poetry is beautiful, and the lyrics it still moves you to this day.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I take that as a lovely compliment on behalf of all of us in this crazy band, and thank you. And I think there is sometimes almost the lighthearted part of Fleetwood Mac or whatever word one wants to use, the sort of the poppy part of it was always balanced out by a form of rev a form of very often some romance of sadness and entertaining That type of dialogue would be for me, is is songbird, and there are, of course are others, But I remember when Chris wrote that, and I actually spoke very recently to her about it. We just drifted into a conversation and she totally remembered, and I went, Chris, this is like Edith Piaf on a stage alone and she was in the studio at the record plant, and I said, this needs to be lonely. We should record it in an empty theater, not in a shag carpet studio. Let's go and do that. And we did, and we went a college over in Berkeley and recorded that song. As the imaging of it was so devastating to me. I said, you are alone. You are alone playing this lovely, lovely song, and it should be all of that. And that's exactly what we did. It was the most pregnant suite moment around the song that I can tell in our short conversation.
Speaker 1: Some including Stevie Nix, And we've read about Dylan's going to sell his catalog and David Crosby's getting ready to sell his catalog. And I guess in this COVID era and beyond, in the age of streaming music, people are seeing sources of revenue dry up. Certainly some of these people are older. You know, they're not selling their catalog and they're in their thirties or whatever, But what do you think of them?
Speaker 4: I think it's great. I'm sure it's not for everyone or whatever, but I think the circumstances has triggered so many things. This would be one of them. I think those decisions may or may not have been made anyhow, who's to say why not? And a body of work that is to be quite frankly translated into all sorts of lovely things for these people, whatever that might be. Because the people you're talking about, they certainly don't need any money for the most part. But no, let's say we doubt it. So it becomes something that will grow into all sorts of other things. One would imagine. What they might be is their business, you know. And one of the things I think is family. I think a lot of people are handing down to family ahead of time versus you know, people picking through when your God forbid, whenever that moment comes. And to see family enjoying stuff that can be allocated before you do pop off.
Speaker 1: So, if I'm not mistaken, Rumors is a best selling album again now as the direct result of some guy on a skateboard swinging down cranberry juice. What did you think? What did you think of when you first came across the TikTok? Phenomenally right occurred.
Speaker 4: Well, I know him as Nathan. His online name is Dogface, and it is quite unbelieveable. And all hell was breaking loose because he made a decision one day to do his thing. It happened in the most charming way. And then someone said, well would you would you? I said, well, I can't get on a skateboard, so I hung myself off the back of a golf cart and did the thing. And the next thing I know, we're all on you know, halftime sports programs, and god knows what else. His whole life has changed. And I actually loved it because it was so not thought of. One of the lovely things I was able to say on a zoom call. He was doing an interview in England with some very upstanding BBC chap and he had no idea I was going to come on the zoom call. So that's when I first met him, you know, face to face, And then his family came on. They sang songs to me and stuff, and I said, let me tell you Nathan Fleetwood Mac os it's been a fantastic moment in time that when a wall and typical Fleetwood mac just when you think you know we've survived, we've been really lucky, you know, in so many some of the things we've touched on in our talk where against hopeless odds we've prevailed. And I always joke about, especially with Lindsay Buckingham years ago. I used to sit with him and go like, we are the most abused rock and roll franchise in the world, meaning we've never capitalized on anything. Really, we're all idiots. But it's sort of good and we're still here.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. I mean again, I say this because it's easy, and that is you're still here and people are picking songs of yours to soundtrack their kind of playfulness, TikTok and so forth, because the music is great. I mean you and you're going back to hypnotized and Welsh. I love Hypnotized, I love Mystery to Me, I love all I love those early records. I play them to death. I love everything guys, and then solo acts Christia, you know, with Stevie's solo albums, blah blah, blah. I love it all, but I mean you you live in people's hearts because the music is that good. You guys made some of the greatest music in the history of the music posiness. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: No, it's been an absolute pleasure. And I remember something my father said, and it seems to really apply to a lot of the storytelling about this funny life and certainly Fleetwood Mac and the fact that there have been all sorts of ups and downs and around the Marlbury Bush and pain and a lot of happiness as well. My dad would always say one thing, Nick, I can tell you it's all been worth a damn And hearing is say that about the music makes me feel that it's all been worth a diamond.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Lots of love to you, and my love to you.
Speaker 1: Mix Sleepwood, I've been.
Speaker 3: Such more board of gold like a car the end of the rain.
Speaker 1: I'm Alec Baldwin and this is here's the thing from iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: I'm not leave then You're bad, No, not you, I'm I've got a bad sting of warm