Speaker 1: Amazon revamps its Fire TV lineup, Ring has a new indoor drone, backing up iPhone pictures without the cloud, plus your tech questions answered.
Speaker 2: What's going on? I'm Rich Damiro and this is Rich on.
Speaker 1: Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it's where I answer the questions that you send me. My name is Rich Dmiro, tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Thanks so much for joining me today. Lots and lots of tech news. It is quite remarkable how many gadgets are coming out from now. It started, you know, back in August, and now we've got September, we have.
Speaker 2: October and November.
Speaker 1: Well, probably everything will be done by October end of October with the iPhone. But man, there are so many gadgets. It seems like it seems like a lot. But this is typically what happens during this time of the year.
Speaker 2: But it just seems.
Speaker 1: Super odd right now because we're in this pandemic. Everyone's home and I feel like these tech companies have been sort of capitalizing on the fact that we do want entertainment from home. We are you know, we want Zoom, we want computers. We want work from home stuff. Smartphones not so much. That's been a little bit of a challenge because who really wants to spend all that money on a new phone right now? But again, there have been a lot of announcements, and these things are planned for a long time, so it's not like these are a surprise. This is something that generally happens. It just seems odd right now for this time of the year. But I've been wearing the new Apple Watch Series six.
Speaker 2: I also have the.
Speaker 1: Se handy to kind of check out and I'm putting them through their paces. The Series six, I mean, I'll be honest, it's great. The loop band is cool. Took me a little bit to figure out the sizing on that because I put the first band on and I was like, oh, this thing is way too big, and I didn't realize that there were other sizes. So now I've got pretty much the right size. And you know, have I noticed anything different than the Series five?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 1: I mean it's definitely brighter, and the apps are a little bit faster, but you need to rush out an upgrade.
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: The oxygen stuff is interesting, but it's not enough for me to sort of think that you have to upgrade unless you have some sort of health issue that you want to you know, address with that. But the problem is Apple says that's not for health anyway. It's just for sort of awareness and fitness, and it's not a medical device. So and I think a lot of the features you get you get with the software update. Anyway, The se is much more compelling to me for the average person because it gives you pretty much everything you need for two hundred and seventy nine dollars. And the fact that they have that new family plan where you can put the you know, your kid on an Apple Watch, that's pretty cool too. Two seventy nine for an Apple Watch, I think is a fantastic deal. I think I last week talked about how you don't get certain things like, you know, the new blood oxygen level, and you also don't get the uh oh, what's the other one, the ECG, and you don't get the always on display. But if you don't need those things and who cares, what's the big deal. Let's get to the first topic of the show, and that is Amazon. Amazon had a big event this week. This is the second time in a row they did not invite me to this event, and this one was virtual.
Speaker 2: Last year on this.
Speaker 1: Very show, I talked about how Amazon did not invite me to the event in Seattle. This year, they didn't even invite me to the virtual event. So I don't know what Amazon has against me. But here we go with some of their announcements. So they kind of revamped the Firestick lineup and the Echo lineup, and they had a bunch of ring announcements. I will be peppering them in throughout the show. But the main thing you need to know is that the fire TV stick is more powerful.
Speaker 2: It also has.
Speaker 1: HDR and Dolby at most support, and it's forty bucks and it also has new Wi Fi five gigahertz, which is great. It's got the Alexa Voice remote, which I think, I mean, that's what I have on the four K. Maybe the other one didn't have that, but I mean, I don't know. I think it's kind of weird that they have two now. They also did a fire Stick light and this one's even cheaper at thirty dollars. But the thing I don't understand is why are they selling such cheap room like they have a thirty dollars model and a forty dollars model. They did not upgrade the Fire TV stick four K. What I don't understand that at all. Four K is where all the growth is, That's where all the TVs are. Why is Amazon still putting out a ten EIGHTYP device?
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Why so it doesn't doesn't make any sense. I'm I'm told, I get the pricing thing they want to make. Oh, thirty bucks you can get into streaming. You can get into streaming, but fifty bucks. I mean, just split the difference, make it forty five and give everyone four K as the entry level. Why do we have to have three different levels? It's confusing for the average person, and quite frankly, if you know, most a lot of people are upgrading four K TVs, so why are we getting them stuck with these ten ADP devices?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: fireTV experience is more personalized, blah blah blah. I mean it's already pretty good. I think that fireTV when I compare it to the Apple TV interface, which I get a lot more people use Roku and a lot more people use fire it's just very cluttered and it's like, sometimes all I want to see on the fireTV is like a list of the top movies, and I can't find them because it's so cluttered with like all the stuff that they want to promote.
Speaker 2: This is cool.
Speaker 1: They're gonna do user profiles now, so you have six six members of your household, all have personalized experiences. And the best part is you say, ay, switch to my profile and after an initition, she'll set up the A rhymes with MAMESA will automatically recognize your voice and switch.
Speaker 2: To your profile. So that's really cool right there. Now.
Speaker 1: The fire TV Cube is their most expensive device. I doubt many people are buying this. That's one hundred and twenty dollars. Tough sell there when they're entry levels thirty. But the cool thing about that one is that you will be able to add a Logitech webcam to the fire TV Cube and call with Alexa over video. Oh I just said the word. But they're also going to add Zoom later on. So anyway, if you're interested in these things. The fire TV Stick, the new one starts at forty bucks. It'll be available next week, and the fire TV Stick Light is thirty dollars, begins shipping in the US next week as well. All right, let's get to our first question. I am trying something new. These are new digitized question. You just out of here, let me just here we go.
Speaker 3: Do you know when or if the new iPad pro will be released? I'm having trouble with my iPad Air and want to upgrade. Not sure if it's worth waiting for an iPad Pro. I keep getting messages that I don't have access to websites like Corner Bakery and QVC, to name two, and I can't open a lot of websites. I get a message that Safari has lost connection to the server or the page doesn't open. I'm very frustrated. Thank you for any help you can give me. Mary Very, senior citizen.
Speaker 2: Mary Very, senior citizen.
Speaker 1: All right now, In case you can't tell, that is a digitized voice.
Speaker 2: It is so cool. I heard about this.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I heard it in another podcast or I listened to the technme ride home and the host there, Brian McCullough, was he did a whole segment on his podcast with a digitized voice. Because the idea is, you know, this guy has to spend every day reading his podcast after he writes it, and it's a whole big thing, and he's like, what if I one day could like synthesize my own voice, And so we did a whole segment. Anyway, this is not that, but these are special voices that they have synthesized in a program called Descript that you can use in your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And so, I mean.
Speaker 1: They're not perfect, but they're pretty interesting anyway, So you'll hear more of them throughout the show. But that's Mary's question, and it's an interesting question. So it sounds like Mary wants a new iPad Pro. And to answer your question, when the new iPad Pro is going to be released, I mean it's going to be released next month. They just announced it at the last event. And the new iPad Pro is great. It's got a lot of nice features. But I don't understand why. I mean, I'm having trouble with my iPad Air. So you have an iPad Air, I don't know. Number One, you say you're a very senior citizen. I don't think you need the iPad Pro. So I think you just need a regular iPad And I'm not convinced your iPad Air is necessarily needing an upgrade. I mean, these iPads last for a long long time. So and you're saying that you have like these lost connections to the server. So I think it sounds like some sort of network issue and that could be the Wi Fi that you're on, So I guess it would really depend on does this happen everywhere or just at your house. So that's the first thing I'd look at as your Wi Fi settings. And the second thing I do is do a reset network settings. So if you go into your iPad into your settings general reset reset network settings. This will clear out all the different things on your iPad, like any Wi Fi settings, passwords for your Wi Fi cellular settings, any VPNs you have, any apns, So that will help kind of get this thing back to normal. And if it's still happening after that, I would do a complete factory reset, and that means erasing everything off your iPad, starting it over from fresh, and then seeing if it works. If it still doesn't work, then I would go for the new iPad. And I don't think you need the iPad Pro. I think you just need the regular iPad. For three hundred and something bucks, I just bought one for my niece, so it's a shipping time.
Speaker 2: Is a while.
Speaker 1: It was like a month, so you know, you have to keep that in mind. You're not gonna get this thing overnight. I thought it was gonna be like, Oh, she gets it the next day. New not so not so fast. It's it's like four weeks out. And I'm not sure why there's such a delay. But when I was looking on Amazon, it was like, oh, next day delivery. But I like to buy direct from Apple because it's just uh, I'm then you don't have to If she needs help, like getting it fixed or whatever, she can go right into the Apple Store, no worries. I think Amazon's probably the same way, but I just don't know. But anyway, Mary, thanks for the question. Appreciate it, and try to breathe some new life into the iPad air before you spend that money on an upgrade. All right, let's talk about the all new Echo family. So again, this was at Amazon's event, and this was a digital event, so they did the all new echos. So now the Echo has these spherical designs, So let's talk about the new Echo. The next generation Echo has a bright led ring light at the base of it so that you can it reflexed off your surface. So you can tell, kind of like when Alexa is oh gosh, I keep saying that, so you can tell when A is saying things. It also comes for the first time with a built in smart home hub with support for Zigbie, Bluetooth Low Energy, and Amazon Sidewalk. And out of those three with the funny names, Amazon Sidewalk is the most interesting. I haven't really talked about it on this podcast, but I was discussing it with a Bill Handle on KFI on the radio the other day, and it's just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant from Amazon, very dystopian at the same time, because how it works is that anyone who wants to be part of this network puts their device like a It basically comes from the ring devices. So if you have like a link a ring floodlight cam, and it's basically the ring devices that are always connected to the Internet and they're outside, and so they say, you say, hey, I'll donate a little bit of my Internet to this sidewalk network, and so a whole bunch of you do that, and Amazon aggregates that network and then creates their own network through these devices that then have a direct connection to the Internet through a bunch of people's home Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: So does that make any sense? It's really weird.
Speaker 1: But so imagine you have a Wi Fi connection at home with one of these Ring devices. You say, sure, I'll be kind of a spoke or a hub for this network, and you take a little bit of your Internet and you give it to that device all the time. Your neighbor is not part of the network. They're just a spoke. They have like an Echo. That Echo can tap into your your Ring device on the sidewalk network use a little bit of your Internet if their Internet goes out. That's kind of the idea here, is that they're creating a secondary network that kind of is alive at all times because chances are someone's device is up and running on their Internet connection. So if your whole neighborhood goes out, your Ring camera on your front door will still continue to work because you're tapping into this new sidewalk network and not just your Wi Fi. I mean, it's really really brilliant, kind of scary, but I think it's really cool. So that's the Echo and then you have the Echo Dot Kids edition. This comes in a colorful panda or tiger print and it's what is that? That one's sixty bucks.
Speaker 2: And they also have.
Speaker 1: This feature on it called Reading Sidekick, where Alexa can help kids build fluency and foster a love for reading. Alexa will take turns reading with your child, providing encouragement when they're reading well and offering support when they struggle. So I don't know how that's gonna work. I gotta see a demo of that, because does it read along with any book or just the books that they program for that. Then you've got the Echo Show ten and this is really interesting too. Imagine an Echo device. You know, these are the ones with the display that's sort of on a swivel mount. This is two hundred and fifty dollars, so very expensive. But it's got a ten inch HD display and it rotates as you walk around the room, so when you're on a video call, you can just kind of walk around naturally it will follow you not you know, it won't move, but it will just rotate left and right. I don't know if it goes up and down. But they say it's a brushless motor. So it's nice and quiet. But that's really cool because we're all getting into this whole you know, video chat thing, and it's you know, these smart displays are going to become more and more valuable because people have gotten so used to kind of chatting with people on them. You can also watch other things on them like Hulu plus Prime Video, Netflix, and that's cool. There's also a feature called Alexa gar so the Echo Show ten can pan the room and send you an alert if it detects someone in its field of view. So again, these things are getting really smart and just we are covering our homes in all kinds of ways that we never thought possible. And there is a camera shutter on this thing, so you can turn that off. You can also turn off the motion if you don't like it. So the Echo is a hundred bucks, the Echo Dot is fifty, the kids edition is sixty, and the Echo Show ten is two fifty that will ship in time for the holidays. And again, you know, it's nice that these things are all working with Zoom. It seems like it's gonna take a little bit, but it is pretty cool that Zoom is getting a lot of play on these new devices. All right, let's go to another question. This one comes from Javier.
Speaker 4: My kid always seems to go to YouTube because he finished his assignment early. He then gets carried away and forgets to check back to his classroom. Is there a way to block YouTube or at least just temporarily using a laptop running Windows ten. Thank you, Javier.
Speaker 1: Okay, good question, Javier. This happens to me as well, because my kids are obsessed with YouTube, well especially my little kid. My gosh, when I say obsessed, it is it's unbelievable the amount of influence these YouTubers have on small kids. And as a parent, it's kind of scary because I noticed my kids started talking about Chick fil A and you know, a couple other little things that this YouTuber loves.
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Hot Pockets was another one, and it's it's really I mean, I see the whole thing with like you know, whether these are sponsored opportunities or not, because not that kids care, but for parents, like I want to know, like is this guy talking about uh, Chick fil A because he loves it?
Speaker 2: Or is he being paid to do that? But I digress.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, there is a way to block YouTube, at least temporarily using a laptop running Windows ten. I would look at a website called next dns dot io, next dns dot io. And what this does is that it's basically a it changes the DNS on your or I guess you use it to change how your router looks up things. And so you can put in all kinds of you know, restrictions, so you can do all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: Let me just go through some of these things. So let's see security, privacy.
Speaker 1: Hold on, it's saying it's saying that I'm I got to sign up because I've already set this thing up. Let me go into a different window here and try it this way. Let's see next dns try it now for free, and it's it's pretty much free. You just have to change a couple of settings on your router and this is it. But you can go in and put on Google Safe browsing, crypto jacking protection, let's see type squadting.
Speaker 2: Wow, all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Privacy, you can block ads, you can block trackers, let's see parental controls. You can restrict access to a specific website, app or game or categories. You can turn on safe search, YouTube restricted mode. And the only thing that's kind of tricky about this is that it's coming from the router, and there's not really a timed way of doing this. You can't say, oh, I just want this website to be restricted from nine am to one pm while my kid is in school. But another thing you could do, and I'm sure there's a whole bunch of like Chrome extensions that you can get to help on that Windows laptop. But I would also look into, if you want kind of a heavy duty situation, something called Circle and Circle is really good. You plug it into your router, and it's like you can control everything your kids do. You can control from the time they're able to access their devices how much time they're allowed. So, for instance, my kid gets a certain amount of time on YouTube every day on Minecraft and blocks, and believe me, they fight it every day. They When that times up, I get a little notification on my watch and it's like, oh, here comes my kid marching in asking for more time. So that's another way of doing it. The other thing is if you're on you know, and I know you're on Windows, but if you're on an Apple device, you can use screen time and that's super simple to set up. But Windows ten, I think they have something called the family filter, because I have this on my kid's laptop as well. Let's see Windows Family Filter and yeah, so you got to go into Family.
Speaker 2: Let's see what's it called. I think it's.
Speaker 1: Microsoft Family dot Microsoft dot com. And then that way you can set up all the filters on your child's device. So you can do it. It's in you know, you believe me, you can. You can do this stuff. It takes a little bit of time to set it up, but again, once it's set up, it is you know, it's a little easier. It's on autopilot. But there are some things here and there. Like the other night, I was trying to watch something on I think it was, I don't know, was it Netflix in my bedroom and I was like, what is going on here?
Speaker 2: It will not work?
Speaker 1: And I remembered that everything gets cut off at seven pm because that's my kid's bedtime and the devices are on there, or at least the device in my bedroom, the firestick is linked to my kid's profile. So I had to go in and like extend his bedtime, and you know, it was fine. They do have provisions for that and circle, by the way, it's super easy. You can say, oh, give my kid an extra half an hour tonight as a reward for bedtime, or give my kid an extra hour on YouTube. Whatever. But it takes a little bit. It takes a little setting up. But that is the way to do it. And there are plenty of ways to do this stuff. Believe me, there's lots of smart people at these smart companies that have helped parents. It just takes a little time to set it up and sometimes it does cost a little bit. All right, now, let's talk about Ring.
Speaker 2: This is probably the most.
Speaker 1: Dramatic thing that was announced at the Amazon event. You know, Ring is owned by Amazon, and this is a Ring always on cam otherwise known as the Ring drone for your house. So the way they describe it is the autonomous indoor security camera that flies your chosen personalized paths so you can easily check in on your home for peace of mind. So it's a drone that sits in a cradle until it needs to go to work, and it flies around your house and gives you a view of what's going on your house.
Speaker 2: How cool is that?
Speaker 1: I can't wait to get this, and yes I will be getting this. I mean you got to give it to James simonov over at Ring. The inventor general there he I mean, I'm pretty sure he came up with this himself, and I love it. This goes back to kind of like the idea of this guy just being He's on the likes of Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. I mean, he's just that smart coming up with these smart smart things.
Speaker 2: Steve Jobs.
Speaker 1: This is this guy who is a young guy is on that level. He came up with the video door bell, he came up with this drone. How smart is this? Let me give you a real world example.
Speaker 2: So I was. I flew to New Jersey one time.
Speaker 1: This was a couple of years ago, and next thing, no we land, we get to my dad's house. I get the alarm on my phone saying, you know, there is a fire in your house. Your fire alarm. Sorry, your fire alarm is going off. And I get the call from the alarm company. You know, we're sending the fire department. Wait, what what do you mean my house on fire? What?
Speaker 2: I got a check?
Speaker 1: At that point, I had no cameras in my house. I had no way of knowing if this was just a false alarm or a real fire.
Speaker 2: So what I do?
Speaker 1: I called my friend in the neighborhood, and I said, can you please go.
Speaker 2: Over to my house.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm there. I'm dropping everything. I'm going right now. He runs over to my house just in time to see the fire truck and the firefighters ready to break in the back door to see what the deal is. There's no smoke, thank god. And he said, there's no smoke, but you know the firefighters are heard you want them to break open the door. I said, if there's no smoke, I mean, I don't know. And so long story short, Now I have cameras and this exactly plays into that world. So if my fire alarm went off again, what would I do? I'd send up the drone. Hey, take a look around my house and tell me if my house is on fire or not.
Speaker 2: And hopefully it never is. But this is just I love it, love it, love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Now. There are a lot of privacy kind of factors built into this thing. And by the way, this drone flies automatically when you're away out of your house and the alarm is triggered in a way mode, so it automatically will fly a path to see what's happening. So even if you don't Let's say you're on a plane and something happens. This drone will capture video inside your house that you can watch later. The device rests in a base, The camera is physically blocked when it's docked, and it only starts recording when the device leaves the base and starts flying one of the preset paths. The camera also hums at a certain volume, so you know that it's recording. They say it's privacy that you can hear. Apparently this thing, I think it was two hundred and fifty dollars if I remember. Let's see do they even say Ring always on cam price?
Speaker 2: Two hundred fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't wait to buy this. I cannot wait to get this. Can you pre order it?
Speaker 2: It says at the bottom of the thing I have.
Speaker 1: That's it's not been authorized by the FCC yet. It's not offered for sale until then. But I can't wait. Brilliant, brillion, brilliant. And this is when I say in previous podcasts, I've said that a lot of the momentum is behind Ring when you compare it to other companies that are doing home security. Ring is just there. And in fact, I have a couple of the Ring devices. I think it's time for some more because they really are putting a lot into their devices and into their R and D and into kind of having something that works with all different aspects of your home.
Speaker 2: So I love it. That's the Ring. What is it called? Let me.
Speaker 1: The ring always on cam? Everyone's calling it the drone? But yeah, the ring always on cam?
Speaker 2: How cool is that? Love it? Love it? Love it?
Speaker 1: Oh, time for another question, this question. Let's see, let's see who it's from.
Speaker 3: Hi, Rich, I saw your report this morning about Google Maps now showing COVID information, but when I checked my Google Map nothing was on there. Do I need to turn on that layer somehow? Or is this feature coming soon? Thanks for your help. I always love your reports. Thanks Tanya.
Speaker 1: All right, this was a report that I did on KTLA about Google Maps now showing COVID information. And this is always kind of the issue that I run into with being early on a lot of things, is that a lot of these tech companies announce stuff but it's not necessary available immediately, and so you ride that line. Do I want to be late and tell people when this actually shows up on my phone? Or do I want to tell you at the moment that it happens, and it's announced because I want you to be on the lookout for it, I.
Speaker 2: Err on the side of telling you as it happens.
Speaker 1: And this is the result sometimes where you probably went to Google Maps and you looked at the little layers functionality and where is it rich? Well, first let me explain what the story is. So on Google Maps, Google is now showing COVID information, which is just brilliant. And the way to see it is to open up Google Maps. If you look in the upper right hand corner, there's a little layers area where you can switch between satellite terrain and some of the map details like street view or bicycling or traffic, and eventually there will be a little map type called COVID or I guess map details called COVID. And this is great. Google is aggregating a whole bunch of COVID information from various databases and putting it right on the maps. So let's say you're visiting an area you want to see, hmm, is how's Bakersfield doing with COVID. You just zoom in and you'll be able to see how it's doing with cases, whether they're up, whether they're down, whether you know how many there are per one hundred thousand people. And you'll see it in different ways. There's some numbers, there's some color coding, there's some arrows trending up and down. But again, it's not there just yet on my phone.
Speaker 2: But it should be there. So just check.
Speaker 1: And I keep checking every day. Whenever I see a new feature that's really cool, I always want to. I always check for it on like a daily basis to see if it's there. And with Google, what they normally do, since they have so many people and so many devices, they don't send it out to everyone all at once because that would be bad. They don't want everyone's phone to crash if there is some sort of problem, so they send it out in waves. And that's what happened with this COVID one. And so all you have to do is just wait for it to hit your device. All right, let's move on to Samsung. I told you there's a lot of stuff this week with gadgets, but this phone. I told you I fell in love with the Samsung Galaxy Note twenty, right, And I really did. I mean, there's no doubt about it. I love that phone. I sit here every day and I miss it, and I love my iPhone, but honestly, I'm a little bored by it. Even with iOS fourteen, I'm just like, Eh, it's great. It does everything I want, but it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of a boring phone.
Speaker 1: And I say that because it just does everything so perfectly that it's like, oh, come on, Whereas something like the Note twenty. There, you know, there's things I loved and didn't like about it, but it just had so many little things going on and I was always discovering new stuff. Wasn't enough to make me switch and buy it, no, because it was too big. But the Galaxy S twenty Fan Edition, I'm trying to find out what's wrong with this because it seems like it would be a great phone for me. This is the it's kind of like a culmination of the S twenty series, or a mix, i should say, of the S.
Speaker 2: Twenty and the Note.
Speaker 1: So it's a premium flagship at a great price point six ninety nine already, it's on sale for five ninety nine on Amazon, and it has a lot of the features that people like about both of these devices, so super smooth display one hundred and twenty hrtz display AI powered camera. The best chipset that they have right now, which is the Snapdragon eight sixty five.
Speaker 2: Is that the plus? It is the let's say snap Dragon. How come they don't list that in an easy to find place.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't that be first on the spec sheet?
Speaker 2: Let's see? Oh yeah, Qualcom Snapdragon eight sixty five.
Speaker 1: So it's got that, it's got expandable storage, it's got a battery that lasts all day. The weird thing is it's got this thirty two megapixel front camera, which okay, I mean they never had that on the other ones, but now it's there. And if you remember, the big problem with the S twenty Ultra was that it had the focus issues. And so it's like, you know, I feel bad for people that bought that phone, and I in my review, I said it needs.
Speaker 2: To work out.
Speaker 1: Let's see what did I say? I will tell you exactly what I said. Let me look up KTLAS twenty Ultra. I said, Samsung Galaxy S twenty review. Amazing phone, but camera focus.
Speaker 2: Issues need to be solved.
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure that you know they were solved for a big part of it, but I still think it was a little disappointing for that phone. Let's see what else U thirty times space soom, which means it's three times optical. The rest is being done digitally. They've got these great colors cloud, red, cloud, orange, cloud, lavender, cloud, mint, navy.
Speaker 2: And white. I mean, what more could you want?
Speaker 1: The haze effect, so it's not gonna hold all your fingerprints, It's got five g it's got a six point five inch screen for forty five hundred million hours, water and dust resistant. I think this is the perfect phone Samsung. On paper, this looks perfect. One hundred and twenty eight gigs of storage, six gigs of RAM, even expandable up to one terabyte with a microSD card.
Speaker 2: What more could you want?
Speaker 1: Starting availability October second, So Samsung is sending me one of these to test out. If I fall in love with it, I will let you know. But at this point, I can't imagine what I would not like about this phone. I mean, it seems like they just said, hey, what's good about our two devices? But maybe people don't want the Ultra. Maybe they don't need all that craziness. One hundred time zoom, fifty times zoom, all these little features that you know you might not use a stylist that Let's make a phone that's a little bit easier to handle and a little bit more accessible price point. So hopefully this is a winner, and I will keep you updated as I usually do here in the podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's get to another question.
Speaker 5: Hi, Rich, thank you for trying to keep people informed on the ever changing technology. I am a technology challenged grammar and was thinking about getting my seven year old grandson a watch for Can you recommend some that might be suitable but not with too many games and gadgets? Thank you for your time, Jamie.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I was abrupt cut off there. Thank you for your time, Jamie, Jamie, great question, and I think the answer to your question is drum roll please, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I have a drum roll, but let's see what's this one? Oh? Nothing, what's this one? No, that's not it?
Speaker 1: All right, I think the answer to your question is the Apple Watch se two hundred and seventy nine dollars. It is perfect for a child because it has all the features you need and it's Apple. It's gonna work great. Hopefully you or someone in your family has or someone in your let's see it granddaughter grandson has an iPhone to set it up because now they have this new feature called family set Up, and so you can set up an Apple Watch for your child. Now you need an Apple Watch cellular. So it's it's not gonna be just the two seventy nine. I believe you're gonna have to spend a little bit more. I think it's in three twenty nine, maybe so. But now here's the thing. You do not have to activate the cellular. They strongly recommend it, but you do not have to. Now, what are you gonna lose in that situation? If you're using this to keep track of your child or to communicate with them, It's only gonna work during Wi Fi. You know where they're in a Wi Fi network, and that's not gonna be everywhere. So I would highly recommend that you would get the cellular service if you truly want this child to be connected. Uh, That's what I'd recommend. But I'm not gonna recommend any of these other smart watches for kids because they're all pretty pretty much garbage. And Apple does have the best one. So if you want the best, and you want your child to be connected, and you want them, I don't know what. You didn't really give me a reason for their watch. But if it's connection, which is probably the only reason a seven or eight year old should have a watch, you know, you need to have them on cellular. But I think this is brilliant. The other ones I've seen out there, like the Gizmo and all these things are giant.
Speaker 2: It's like this giant.
Speaker 1: Apparatus on the tiny child's wrist. So go with the Apple Watch. See, it's a little bit more expensive, but I think it will deliver what you need. And if it's not, you know, the right time for it, save up and you know, maybe just get it, you know, next year or something like that. But that's a good question, and I'm so happy Apple did that because there are people out there that could benefit from their child having a smart watch to stay connected. All Right, we did this story on KTLA this week, and I knew it was gonna be popular, but I didn't realize just how popular it was gonna be. But Wow, this was popular. So I'm just gonna go through what we talked about, and the story was. I get so many emails people want to know how they can transfer photos off their iPhone to like sort of a flash drive without using iCloud. And to me, I personally don't see the point of this because the cloud is so easy. You've got Google Photos, you've got iCloud, But why would you want to make life tougher for yourself. Well, there's various people out there, and not one solution is for everyone, and so that's why I looked into the solution for this, and it's called the sand disc I Expand Flash Drive. They've been making these for many years now. This is not the first time I've heard of this, not the first time I've featured it on KTLA. But when I saw how many questions I was getting about people wanting to avoid the cloud and backup photos from their iPhone, I said, okay, well let's feature this thing. And so the one that they sent along is called the sand disc I Expand Flash Drive GO. It's their newest, latest, greatest. The device has a lightning jack on one side and then the other side is USB. And to me, it would be perfect if it was USBC, but it's not. It's just regular USBA, and so you need a converter for something like my computer. But it's a flash drive that plugs into your iPhone and it has special software from SanDisk and when you activate it, when you plug this little drive in, it says, hey, do you want us to open the software? It opens the software and it starts backing up your pictures from your camera roll immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that cool. Now, when I tested it, it was a little bit buggy.
Speaker 1: But it seems like there's been two software updates since I started testing it, and it seems to be a little bit more smoothed out, and so it's great. I mean, I can't recommend this thing enough if you want to manually back up your photos on your iPhone. Now, people were asking me, when you back them up, can I delete them off my phone? No, just because you have them on this flash drive does not mean you can get rid of the originals on your phone. So if you're trying to free up storage on your iPhone, you need to actually transfer these off or actually copy them from this little flask drive to another place. You always have to have your pictures in two places. You cannot just have your pictures on one place. What happens to this flash drive? You drop it in water? Boom, goodbye, see ya? You misplace it?
Speaker 2: Goodbye? See you.
Speaker 1: So pick two places, and that's where you need.
Speaker 2: To back up your photos. So I am okay with this.
Speaker 1: If you want to have your photos on your iPhone and then back them up to this little device, and that's fine. That's fine. That's two places. They're on your phone, they're on your device. If your phone goes missing, oh I've got all the pictures on this little flash drive. If the flash drive goes missing, oh I've got all the pictures on my phone.
Speaker 2: You see how that works.
Speaker 1: If you're going to delete them off your phone, you need to find another hard drive and transfer the photos or sorry, copy the photos from the flash drive onto that other hard drive. So now you have them in two places you can safely delete them from your phone. Personally, I would copy them to a cloud service. I know you don't want it there, but that's what I do. And right now I'm a little bit not taking my own advice because right now I only have my pictures in Google Photos and on my phone. Actually right now they're only in Google Photos. But I'm in the process of consolidating everything and then what I'm gonna do is download my Google Photos library once every month or something like that.
Speaker 2: But it's big.
Speaker 1: It's like a terabyte, so it's kind of a process. But that's what I would say. And then of course I get all the questions from the Android folks, Rich is there something similar for Android? Well, there is a sand Disk also makes something called the sand Disk Ultra Dual Drive LUX. And the question is do they make the same software, because you can plug any USBC drive into an Android phone and it will copy files back and forth for ninety nine percent of Android phones. Rather, but the software is the magic, because the software enables the automatic backup of your photos, and that's what you really want.
Speaker 2: So let's see.
Speaker 1: Sand disk I expand Android. Or let's just do Google Play and let's see if they have a Google Play app and see I don't know if they do. Oh wait, do they see I don't think they do. Let's see sand disk I expand Android. Let's see if oh gosh, I don't know if they do. This is let's see for Android. H is there an app? I see a lot of flash drives. I'm looking for an app on their website, and so far I do not see one. I'll go all the way down to the bottom. Yeah, I don't know, So I'm not really sure, but they do have a sand disc connect wireless stick and that might work.
Speaker 2: Here's a USB USB. Gosh, they have so many different models. But let's see.
Speaker 1: Do they have an app free up? Oh, sand disk Memory Zone app that looks like the app that you need sand Disc Memory Zone. Let me see when this was last updated, and it was last updated on September second, twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 1: You are good to go. So now you know sand disc check it out. Just look for a and disca drive that works with your Android phone, whether you have Micro USB or if you have the newer phones which have USBC. All right, finally, one more question here we go, Hi.
Speaker 6: Rich, how do I put a time limit on my grandson's iPhone and iPad and not online? I play one of the games when he's not with me on my iPad. He has my old iPhone and iPad. They're all connected to my Apple account.
Speaker 3: Midge.
Speaker 1: All right, super super easy set up screen time, and Midge screen time will enable you to put a time limit on that iPad. You say that you share the iPad with your grandson, so all you need to do is that when you're playing.
Speaker 2: It's super easy.
Speaker 1: It will just say, oh, time limit, And well, there's a couple things you can do. You can set just time limits for his apps and leave your app alone, or you can set time limits for all the gaming on there, and then when you go on there to play, you can you can just type in a code it says like, oh sorry, screen time, and you can just go in there and type it says more time, and you can just authorize it with your pin codes. You can make a little pin and that's it. That's why I do my kids with screen time as well. Super duper easy. So set up screen time. Go on the Apple support website search screen time, set it up on the iPhone and iPad and set up for your child or your grandson rather. And then when you go on there to play the game, it'll say, oh sorry, time limit. It's already been played for two hours. Games have been played on here. You just say, oh, give me, you know, another half an hour or I think it. I think they give you options, whether it's fifteen minutes or an hour. You just select one of those options and that's it. The child, you know, you can bypass the child because you are the adult.
Speaker 2: Midge.
Speaker 1: You know that, right, You are the adult, even though on this show your synthesized voice, So yes, that is going.
Speaker 2: To do it for this episode of the show.
Speaker 1: If you would like to submit a question for me to answer, just go to you rich on tech dot tv and hit the email button at the bottom of the page. Also, i'd love it if you would rate and review this podcast so you can help other people discover it. Just go to rate this podcast dot com slash rich on tech and let me know what you liked or didn't like about the computerized voices. I think I haven't decided what I'm gonna do about the questions, but you know, I'm just trying new things and seeing what works what doesn't work. If you like me reading them, let me know. If you like someone else reading them, let me know. If you like the computer reading them, let me know. I thought it's kind of fun to have the computer because you know, this is a tech show and I just like the idea of it.
Speaker 2: But let me know.
Speaker 1: You can find me on social media at rich on Tech. I'm rich Timiro. Thank you so much for listening. Stay safe, I'll talk to you real soon.