Speaker 1: This podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Stephen Ranella, Giannis Putellis, Brody Henderson, Brent Reeves, Randall, Williams, Krine Schneider, Ronnie Bame, and Angela Perry. Ronnie, this is your first time on Meat Eater Trivia. How do you think you're gonna do?
Speaker 3: I'm just shooting for the Shelby Index, Okay, I don't. After this went on about two months, huh, I started getting.
Speaker 1: Worse and worse scores.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, I think cooking and conservation might be my weak spots.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: So that's that's knocking out of fifty percent of the questions.
Speaker 2: I think the Asper tam in that diet coke.
Speaker 3: Now, I was gonna ask if we could bring a beard here, because then I would be more fluid.
Speaker 2: Now you got some nicotine in you between, I mean the podcast episode in trivia. You think this that will make you sharper, then that will help.
Speaker 3: Is definitely a stimulant.
Speaker 2: Oh good good.
Speaker 5: Angela also does it let you know things you don't know? I can see in the dark you feel better though, Yeah, but it's like it's not, oh my bone to pick Angela.
Speaker 2: Angel also your first time on the show. Steve is eager. He's been talking about it for hours. Angela, first time on the show. How do you think you're gonna do it?
Speaker 1: Trivia?
Speaker 2: That's hunting, fishing, conservation, cooking, and.
Speaker 6: Under promise and over deliver.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay today good. I would imagine you have a lot of trivia in your brain. Uh, maybe not as much from these four categories though. Do you think that's true?
Speaker 6: Well, we're about to find out.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you consume a lot of trivia in your your personal life?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 6: Highly competitive?
Speaker 2: Really like what.
Speaker 6: You know, it was a big Jeopardy person, trivial person.
Speaker 2: Or still are was what happened?
Speaker 6: I mean Alex was gone. Really just went downhill from there. Okay, so yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: You'll do Okay that you had such a look.
Speaker 5: I was surprised that she would quit. Over the host.
Speaker 2: Steve Arms crossed over here. We're gonna straight up skip our stat and our zero per center this week so we can address whatever this bone is. So go ahead.
Speaker 5: It's not that take that long. Okay, we'll go Now you put trivia questions on the website.
Speaker 2: We we did for a little while over there.
Speaker 5: Now some of them, well one I wasn't here for it, so I just saw it. But it's so stupid. It's like you had a triviata question about what Anthony Bourdain said to Oprah win for you, how you're so far off from the cooking ones? Anyways, go back to that one.
Speaker 2: Did you get that one wrong or what?
Speaker 5: Well, no, because it's in his book, but at least tie it back to the book. Why tie it to like an interview with Oprah Winfrey? So it's a bad boys chef talks to a daytime TV host and you feel that fits on me eater trivia?
Speaker 2: Well, here's here's the sausage being made again. It was I could we could then have Anthony Bourdain talking on the TV to which our YouTube audience could watch. Are you with me?
Speaker 5: Still stupid?
Speaker 2: Okay? That's that's your whole bone? Yeah, okay, I was. I was worried.
Speaker 5: It's part of a broader bone, the cooking thing where you you have some that are so outside of what was another one? What?
Speaker 1: Look, it's been an ongoing problem.
Speaker 5: What color our peppers. You know, that's not as bad.
Speaker 4: That's not bad.
Speaker 5: There's a bunch of it's kind of sure. It feels a food trivia show. But I don't understand what Oprah win for you talking to a to a TV another t a TV host talking to a TV host about butter has. It just has nothing to.
Speaker 2: Do with anything like some of our questions.
Speaker 1: That's the old one though, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So? I feel like you've been kind of staying.
Speaker 1: In between the guidelines a little better.
Speaker 2: I upset you every now and then, Brody, it still happens. Yeah, we have some housekeeping to get to you. During a previous episode, Steve opined about Democrats being more likely than Republicans to believe in ghosts that as a twenty nineteen UGOV surveys showed it's actually the other way around. Their data proved that Republicans are more likely than Democrats to believe in ghosts, demons, and vampire vampires Steve then and vampires. Steve then said that he worried his other political profiling might be wrong, which is that Democrats are more likely than Republicans to be gluten intolerant. Well, a twenty nineteen study by Michigan State University answered that exact question. Professors Trey Malone and Bailey Norwood surveyed over one thousand Americans and asked them questions about their politics and their diet. Three of the questions were to establish a gluten aversion in deck, and one question was about who their favorite president was between Trump, Obama, Bush, and Clinton. Steve, Before I reveal the results, do you have any final predictions about which president was the favorite among the gluten intolerant voters?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Obama.
Speaker 2: Here's what the study showed. Respondents who were the most gluten avoidant said that their favorite president was Donald Trump. The paper concluded that there's no evidence that the political left is more likely than the political right to have a gluten sensitivity.
Speaker 5: Well, it gives me in real trouble with someone. I told him, Matt, and he said that's true? Or that's you think that's true and it's true?
Speaker 2: Who is that person? Do you need to issue an apology to that?
Speaker 5: It was on the episode called The Guru Comes or the what the hell is it called The Guru Comes Up for Air? The Guru Comes Up for Air.
Speaker 2: The paper did point out, though, that there are other dietary choices that go hand in hand with politics. For example, in twenty twelve, Barack Obama won seventy seven percent of counties with a whole foods but lost seventy one percent of counties with a cracker barrel.
Speaker 5: Have you seen have you ever seen Ian Frazier's thing about voting trends in wild hog densities.
Speaker 2: I've heard you talk about it, but I haven't seen it myself. There's a good correlation, very high correlation, Steve. You've now learned that Republicans are actually the party of gluten and ghost sensitivity. Do you have any other political stereotypes you'd like me to check in on?
Speaker 5: Well, why you're trying to Republicans really liked COVID restrictions.
Speaker 2: I think we can go without fact checking that. One one that I've noticed kind of my whole life is it seems like blue states have slower speed limits than red states. Something when I have to look into because of the nanny state, Because of the nanny state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got one for you.
Speaker 5: Okay, kids wearing bike helmets, no, angela.
Speaker 2: Do we respect Michigan State University and their studies? Does that? Does that check out? You? Think we're okay with the results. Yeah, okay, I can't tell.
Speaker 4: You that topic.
Speaker 5: We're gonna move on from there to tell you tell them later.
Speaker 2: The Shelby index for today's round is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia played the drop phill.
Speaker 1: Look what I stand to win?
Speaker 2: Everything that wasn't an accident?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything.
Speaker 2: Game on Suckers. Question one. The topic is biology and this will be multiple choice, and this first great question comes to us via colon Sykes. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meat eater dot com. Which of these animals has the longest gestation period? Cougar, muskrat, kyote, or cariboo. Topic is biology. Which of these animals has the longest gestation period? Cougar, muskrat, kyote, cariboo. Our players have been slow to answer. No one is looking confident cougar, muskrat, kyote, cariboo.
Speaker 1: M H.
Speaker 2: Brent, You were the quickest to answer. Is this is this confidence? Is it a guest? Do you not want to think about it any longer. So you're just gonna come up with something with my guts. Okay, now you said you want to not just his guts, said multiple us.
Speaker 5: That's like.
Speaker 1: You gotta get the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer for the longest gestation period?
Speaker 5: Stomachs?
Speaker 2: Like, does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying cougar, Ronnie saying cariboo, Krin saying muskrat. Brod You's saying cariboo, Randall saying cariboo, Yanna saying cariboo, Steve saying cariboo. Brent saying cariboo. The correct answer, but.
Speaker 6: I mean there's one that's like more obvious.
Speaker 2: Than the correct answer is cariboo out in. Cariboo's gestation period is two hundred and thirty days. That's followed by cougar at ninety days, coyote at sixty days, and muskrat at thirty days. A general rule among mammals is that the larger the animal, the longer the gestation period. An extreme example is an elephant, which hands a gestation period of six hundred and sixty days, versus a mouse, which hands a gestation period of twenty days.
Speaker 5: Does it have a name, like a principle?
Speaker 1: The name of that, I haven't heard it.
Speaker 2: We can come up with them on right now. The meat eater principle. They're an R species? What's that?
Speaker 6: An R species?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: That just breaks the world two groups?
Speaker 2: Slow turnips you, Mike Forest please?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Steve just said it breaks it into several.
Speaker 5: Groups, saying when there's R and P or R, it's like, yeah, high for canity, low investmentity, high investment.
Speaker 6: Their turn is very slow.
Speaker 2: Question two, The topic is conservation. What conservation organization changed their magazine name to Covers in twenty nineteen? What conservation organization changed their magazine name to Covers in twenty nineteen? The question is behind you, Steve, if you need to see it in front of you, Angela, What do we know about the gestation period of dire wolves? Do you think it was the same as a gray wolf?
Speaker 6: Yeah, hard to say, probably.
Speaker 2: We don't know. Okay, again, what conservation organization changed their magazine name to Covers in twenty nineteen? The room looks stumped, not at all, kriinn. I think we're waiting on.
Speaker 1: You, Okay, Ronnie, be quiet.
Speaker 2: Ronnie is helping out the Brent. Are you ready?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I need somebody to be you.
Speaker 4: What Ronnie said.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Brent, I'm ready. Go ahead and reveal your answers. This was a bone I was throwing to Ronnie which he was trying to give away. Angela says Nature Conservancy. Ronnie says Roffed Grouse Society. Corent without an answer. Brodie's saying Rouffed Grouse Society, Randall saying Sierra Club. Giannis saying pheasants forever. Stee, you're saying quail forever, Brent without an answer. The correct answer is Ruffed Grouse Society or a society I got it was that his bone. It's the Rough Grouse Society, or there's the American Woodcock Society. The magazine used to be called Ruffed Grouse Society, and before that it was called RGS, and before that it was called The Drummer. According to the group's president, those names didn't fully capture their cause, so they changed the name to Covers a few years ago. They said they worked to conserve wildlife habitat in the form of cover, which benefits rabbits, deer, grouse, and more. Ronnie that was the bone I was throwing to you because you do a lot of work with Roffed Grouse Society. What do you like about what they got going on?
Speaker 3: Oh, the active forestry and the emphasis now on like getting the states and the federal governments or the federal force. I don't want to see departments, whatever it is. They're getting a much stronger voice in active logging, an act that it just needed. The forests are just way too old and for years it's been kind of a taboo thing and they're really breaking through that. Even down in the Indiappollachians and Carolinas and stuff. They're really making a big change.
Speaker 2: So do you like the magazine name covers? Do you feel like that was a good switch for them?
Speaker 4: I didn't think they needed it, but you know, yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 2: That the og one they had of the drummer that seems perfect. They need to.
Speaker 5: The search continues continues coming.
Speaker 2: From the founder of Meat Eater.
Speaker 5: Question three.
Speaker 2: The topic is fishing. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Andrew Hakim for sending this great question. Andrew is going to get a book signed by Steve Florida and Blank were the only states in twenty twenty two that had one point five million more pishing license holders than hunting license holders. Florida and Blank were the only states in twenty twenty two that had one point five million more phishing license holders than hunting license holders. You need to tell me what that other state is. Florida and Blank, they were the only states that sold that had one point five million more fishes.
Speaker 1: One point five or more or one point five.
Speaker 2: Actually one point five literally one point five million more.
Speaker 5: There's no way that's literally true.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I pounds it's like one point five to two and the other one's like one point four to nine.
Speaker 7: Are there are there states that have two million more fishing licenses?
Speaker 2: These these would be the states with the most. They have the largest discrepancy at one point five.
Speaker 5: Been much better word, because are there some with one seven, one eight, two point one?
Speaker 2: They are not? This is the most that's it's a you know what, that's a good criticism, good criticism. Here's the question again. Florida and Blank were the only state goes in twenty twenty That's that's all I'm after. Florida and Blank were the only states in twenty twenty two that had one point five million more phishing license holders than hunting license holders. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 1: I don't like this question.
Speaker 2: Randall hasn't complained yet. Randal, what do you think of this question? Do you have it right?
Speaker 5: I would have gone with what two states have the largest power? I would have thought about it, the largest discrepancy between hunters and anglers. I'll put it this way.
Speaker 3: I haven't had nearly so much of a problem with understanding where the questions asking.
Speaker 4: I just have nothing to go on.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know everybody have an answer.
Speaker 5: It's just a good r I'm pretty sure I arrived at it as much as I just liked the question.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying California, Ronnie saying Texas, Corn saying Texas, Brody saying California, Randall saying California, Jannis and Steve both saying California, Brent saying Maryland. We have a correct answer in the room. It's California. A lot of players did pretty well last year. Both Florida and Texas had one point seven million fishing license holders versus two hundred thousand hunting license holders. They were by far the biggest discrepancy in the country. The next closest states are Texas, Minnesota, and North Carolina, which have about nine hundred thousand more fishing license holders than hunting license holders. Question four, The topic is hunting. This is a visual question. To see what the room is seeing, go watch this at on Meat Eater's YouTube channel. Here's the prompt. This ancient dog breed that hales from Asia has a history of hunting wolves and leopards.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, my dad had one of these dogs and I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: This ancient dog breed that hales from Asia has a history of hunting wolves and leopards.
Speaker 6: I mean it has kind of two names.
Speaker 2: But okay, she's got a bone to pick with you. I didn't suspect that would be the case.
Speaker 4: Would you mind showing me one of them?
Speaker 2: This ancient dog breed that hails from Asia has a history of hunting wolves and leopards. You can see the photo of this dog on our YouTube channel.
Speaker 4: Did you have something to throw an angel it?
Speaker 6: I take issue with ancient.
Speaker 2: Okay, does everybody have an answer? Thanks? I don't Randall, You're not gonna talk one, no.
Speaker 4: Just put a question mark.
Speaker 6: I think, is this the one that, like one of them sold for like an an insane amount of.
Speaker 5: I mean goggs. I don't know so well. Rginia, I do not like that kind of chichen.
Speaker 2: Now, Brody, your dad had one of these before the answer and you you don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was Man.
Speaker 1: I can't remember. I'll know when I hear the answer, but I don't have an answer.
Speaker 2: Ronnie, do you know this one is a dog?
Speaker 6: Guy?
Speaker 4: I recognize it.
Speaker 3: I feel fifty to fifty that I feel fifty fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying Tibetan mastiff or chow chow, Ronnie saying chow Charm saying chow chow. Brodie without an answer, Randall without an answer, Yannis saying Caucasian, she spelled it wrongchow like Damn Rent saying Akita. The correct answer is the chow chow. This side of the room did very well. Some sources say the chow chow was domesticated about three thousand years ago in Archaic Asia, the Tang Empire, which ruled from six eighteen to nine oh seven had a special relationship with the dog breed. Emperors of the Tang dynasty had kennels made up of twenty five thousand chow chows, which they used for hunting, herding, guarding, and sled pulling. Angela, what other fun facts can you share with us about the chow chow? Why isn't it an ancient breed? And did you hunt with one in Japan?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: No, because they're not from Japan.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Might question.
Speaker 6: There is what there's some story if you google it, you google it, there's a story like recently some one sold for like an insane amount of money. You know that was like a breeder from a famous breeder or something like that. So what we know about ancient dog reeds is that dogs that look ancient, like genetically like a chow chow, that they look ancient and genetically are ancient what we would call a basil breed because they were geographically and culturally isolated. So all ancient breed dogs only appear ancient because they were in locations that had very little ad mixture and interbreeding with other types of dogs, so they they have that kind of pure lineage that didn't have a lot of mixture. But they're not know this dog is a mix of lots of things.
Speaker 2: I'm ancient. I'm almost certain I was referencing one of your papers that call this a basal breed, which others horses then called an ancient dog breed. So you'd say it is or is not an ancient dog breed.
Speaker 6: Ancient, the most ancient ancient. I tell people, if you want an ancient dog, the real most ancient unmixed dog is a husky or malamet or something like that. Followed very closely by our recent genetic work on what are they called Carolina dogs? You know Carolina dogs. I do not know that one dog that kind of pulled all the swamps of the Carolinas and are probably an ancient type of American dog dogs brought here with first Native Americans and kind of got lost in the swamps with the Carolinas and are now a primitive.
Speaker 3: Dog breed, almost like a dingo is in Australia.
Speaker 6: There's something interesting about all kind of like village dogs, right, They all the same. They all look like dingos, medium size, kind of yellowish, some white patches, pricked ears, some some my curly tail. They all dogs converge into this look when they just kind of a mixy.
Speaker 2: Question if you're just a quick question, he got.
Speaker 5: If you're wrong about so many parts of the question, at what point? At what point is it? Does the question get scratched and we replace it?
Speaker 2: Question five? The topic is cooking.
Speaker 5: But you can ignore it, but it can't be. It's like the question can't be ignored. My question can't be.
Speaker 2: Was the question wrong? Angela?
Speaker 5: It wasn't from Japan and it's not ancient.
Speaker 2: I never said it was from Japan. I said it hailed from Asia. I was worried that when she was talking about hunting in Japan, she may bring up some of the Asian breeds, this being one of them.
Speaker 6: Will accept ancient would be more correct.
Speaker 2: Question five, The topic is cooking. What organization started their annual awards show for chefs, restaurants and authors in nineteen ninety. What organization started their annual awards show for chefs, restaurants and authors in nineteen ninety. Fairly confident room except for maybe Ronnie.
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 2: I don't see it should have had a little more nicotine. Maybe it just came to him. Maybe Okay, Brody is at a disgusted little confidence, he breathed. Brody is deciding on something. Does everybody have an answer? What organization started their annual show for Chef's Restaurant.
Speaker 1: I don't want to turn a right answer.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety much, but you don't want to leave a wrong answer as it is.
Speaker 9: Well, I don't know what we've gone through this where what is a wrong answer?
Speaker 2: And what is is everybody ready? Brody? I think we're waiting on confimation.
Speaker 1: I don't want to add this.
Speaker 7: See how much this is. That's why I had to have Spencer play so he.
Speaker 1: Could have some fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, next time I come out, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Brody questions, everyone has an answer?
Speaker 2: I think you're waiting.
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: I can't remember that.
Speaker 1: Bro Okay, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela. I was like Ronnie saying, James Beard, saying James Beard. Brody saying James Beard. James Beard got it wrong. Everybody said James Beard.
Speaker 5: You guys don't have it.
Speaker 2: Give me the question they have it. It's what organization? The correct answer is the James Beard Foundation. If you just said James Beard, we will give it to you.
Speaker 1: That's what I was wondering about.
Speaker 2: The James Beard Foundation was created in nineteen eighty six by a former student of James Beard. The nonprofit is famous for their dinners, scholarships, and accolades. The awards show, which has been held in New York City in Chicago, is often referred to as the Oscars of the food World. Steve, you were nominated for one twice twice. Not a winner though, was it? One was for the Wild Within What was the other one? No?
Speaker 5: No, media was nominated twice.
Speaker 2: Okay, good on you fail. We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 9: Everyone's doing pretty well. We've got Angela, Corin and Brent All with two points apiece, Jannis, Steve and Randall have three points and tied up in first place are Brody and Ronnie with four points.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Does this go to Steve's thing that the oldest guys in a room do better? Because it doesn't work when I play at home, Steve.
Speaker 5: But it might be because you got basically thrown two bones.
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, the nicotine.
Speaker 2: And right now.
Speaker 8: Society question six, the topic is phishing.
Speaker 2: This next great question comes to us via Hayley Adams. If you have a question you think it's right for media to trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. Yellowfinn, West Slope, Rio, Grand green Back, and Bonneville are all types of this fish, and you need to be specific. If you think the answer is tundras swan, then you need to write tundra swan Spencer, Yellowfinn, West Slope, Rio, Grand, green Back, and Bonneville are all types of this fish. I need you to be specific. I think confident more difficult.
Speaker 4: I was not confident. I just.
Speaker 2: Will see how the players do. Waiting on Krinn and Yanni, Angela, how do you feel about fish?
Speaker 6: You know fish, I'm good at fishing.
Speaker 2: Okay, again, I need you to be specific for this answer. Oh yeah, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying trout, Ronnie saying trout, Korinn saying goldfish, Brody and Randall and Jannis and Steve saying cutthroat trout, Brent saying tuna. The correct answer is cutthroat trout.
Speaker 5: Not specific Bonaville tuna.
Speaker 2: That was easy, but all of our got that one.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: There are about fifteen subspecies of cutthroat trout, all of which are native to North America. It's said that the cutthroats native range is the second biggest among North American trout species, with lakers being number one. Their historical range stretches from Alaska to New Mexico.
Speaker 5: Man, you want to know something, nuts, What do you got? I got time for a quick tidbill?
Speaker 2: Sure you're the one who's uh schedule on.
Speaker 5: There's a creek by our fish shack, which is there's a probably a twenty five foot waterfall not even one hundred yards from tideline, not even one hundred yards from tideline to the waterfall, and there's a population of cuts that living at Really, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. That was the coolest looking cutthroat out.
Speaker 5: They live between the tide water and that water.
Speaker 2: And they above the waterfall as well.
Speaker 5: I've seen any evidence of them. And it's not even like a kind of place there's a huge plunge pool bowl waterfall.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's some very they must go out to the salt. But like now, coastal cutthroats are all over the Northwest. Maybe maybe this one hundred yard stream bed has.
Speaker 5: Uh, they go out and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, want.
Speaker 5: Rosie was swimming in there and she said it was full of bunch of them and Jimmy seders thirty forty of them and he went caught one as a ball.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 5: What was six seven inches long?
Speaker 3: Eight?
Speaker 2: Question seven? The topic is conservation. According to the Federal Acy Act, the black market demand for this organ is the greatest threat to global bear populations. According to the Federal Lacy Act, the black market demand for this organ is the greatest threat to global bear populations. We have a very confident room. This may be our first one hundred percent of the game.
Speaker 5: I could when we get done, I could help you out on that question.
Speaker 3: Everybody had questions, questions about.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Quinn doing a lot of erasing. According to the Federal Acy Act, the black market demand for this organ is the greatest threat to global bear populations. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying gallbladder, gallbladder, gallbladder.
Speaker 1: Angela has one word.
Speaker 2: The entire room said gallbladder. They all got it right. The correct answer is gallbladders. Gallbladders and paws are considered the top reason that bears get poached across the world. Both body parts were at the center of a recent poaching case in Alaska where an unlicensed guide offered clients hunts, bear organs and prostitutes. You can read that full story on the medeater dot com titled illegal bear outfitter offering prostitution and gall bladders busted in sting operation.
Speaker 5: That question could have been improved. What do you get left out organs? And said like bear parts, because that's what you could have created some confusion between the pause and the gall bladder.
Speaker 2: They lost them.
Speaker 5: You would have lost some people and you wouldn't have had one hundred percent spend.
Speaker 2: They list both of them, and I'll tell you this.
Speaker 5: You said organs a food is not an organ. So had you gone with.
Speaker 4: I probably would I probably would have picked paw.
Speaker 5: If he said it would be a great question, I would have gotten it. He would have gotten it wrong.
Speaker 2: That question.
Speaker 3: About six years ago, I was coming out of the George, Washington and Virginia grouse hunding and I thought, I saw, you don't see any cattle around the foothills where I was coming out of the mountains, and I'm going by with my truck and just see this, I said, it's gotta be a dead black angus cow. I'm like, and what made me turn around? I don't know it was. It wasn't quite black, dark out, like backed up, put my headlights on it, and I still couldn't determine what it was.
Speaker 4: And it was four piled up black.
Speaker 3: Bears, no pause on any of them, and all gutted, but still no meat taking off it like like.
Speaker 4: Like exactly what they were doing.
Speaker 3: And that's a big, big issue in the apols in Virginia's and West Virginia.
Speaker 2: How does that story go after that? You then called on.
Speaker 4: I called and I just told him where I saw it.
Speaker 5: I didn't have a way to market you still eating berry meat? I'm contributed Question eight.
Speaker 2: The topic is public lands, which states only two national forests are the Chippewa National Forest and Superior National Forest. This is question eight. We will get a scoreboard update from Phill the engineer after this. The topic is public lands, which states only two national forests are the Chippewa National Forest and Superior National Forest. Steve is confident. I think Steve was made less confident by the rest of the room not having an answer yet. No, no, no, no, no, okay, do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: I think so?
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel pretty good.
Speaker 4: Is Brody praying? Or is he right?
Speaker 1: Talk about it?
Speaker 5: But there's a thing I'm thinking about.
Speaker 4: So that's it.
Speaker 1: You got.
Speaker 4: It's exactly him say that many times over the years.
Speaker 2: Brody, do you think you have an idea about.
Speaker 4: What you want?
Speaker 1: I've got an idea. Is everyone else got an answer?
Speaker 6: Mm hmm?
Speaker 2: I need you to name the state that has the Chippewa National Forest and Superior National Forest. Yanni and Brody, you seem to be in agreement. You guys like each other's answers.
Speaker 7: Randall and I. He likes my answer, but I don't think it's what he wrote down.
Speaker 2: Randal and Yanni, I'm sorry, it is what I wrote down.
Speaker 4: It is, yeah, well you.
Speaker 7: Because we trust each other, my.
Speaker 5: Boards down, I can look over shoulders.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying Michigan, Ronnie saying Wisconsin, Corin saying West Virginia, Brody's saying Michigan, Randall's saying Minnesota, Yanna saying Minnesota, Steve saying Wisconsin, Brent saying Michigan. The correct answer. It's Minnesota. Players got it right? Why not?
Speaker 5: Because he wrote down so fast, It's like it's gotta be Michigan. Because they Michigan combined some stuff. Man, I went, but I went with Scannie, and I was like, that's not right, you know.
Speaker 3: And we had the Man of Steve right in our backyard, so I knew if that wasn't on it now.
Speaker 5: Part of a broader system. They rolled it into like to another. Now it's a hyphenated Oh, I got it all became like Chippewa man or something.
Speaker 2: The Superior National Forest butts up against Lake Superior, and it's part of the Boundary Waters Region. The Chippewa National Forests covers six hundred thousand acres in northern Minnesota, most of which are wetlands. It has the most water of any national forest, boasting thirteen percent of all surface water within the entire National forest system.
Speaker 3: Superior Wisconsin and Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: That's not a fair.
Speaker 1: Question, Phil.
Speaker 2: We have two questions left. Where does the scoreboard stand.
Speaker 9: That's one of the better games we've had in a while, but we still have to say goodbye to Brent Reeves. Angela who all have three points a piece. Club We've got Steve and Ronnie with five points, and then Randall Jannison Brody are tied up in first place with six points.
Speaker 2: Two questions left.
Speaker 5: Not not breads, but that is an important question.
Speaker 2: That last question nine. The topic is cooking. This next great question comes to us via Tyler Olsen. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. Gordon Ramsey once described this freshwater fish as the cod of the American South.
Speaker 1: Now you asked your question.
Speaker 2: Seed is going to hate this question because it quotes a famous chef, like the Anthony Bourdain one that he's strongly question at all. Okay, you just so you didn't like that he said it to Oprah.
Speaker 5: In talking about something that has nothing to do like you don't hunt butter.
Speaker 2: But you cook it. But it's just stupid, okay. Gordon Ramsey once described this freshwater fish as the cod of the American South. This is question nine.
Speaker 3: And like down South, so many things are known by nicknames.
Speaker 2: Now, Ronnie, you may be helping out the room here.
Speaker 4: I mean, so it's like I got trout.
Speaker 5: Would I would just know.
Speaker 4: I got I didn't. He always tells it, well he did, Yeah, he is not.
Speaker 3: He has not specified the degree specificity we need.
Speaker 2: If you think the answer is tundras swan, you could just put swan.
Speaker 1: Okay, there we go.
Speaker 5: That's a great little deal.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You know it just came to the top of my brain here. Yeah, it's not referencing anything at all.
Speaker 4: No, but it's not.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready now?
Speaker 4: I am?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Angela saying catfish, Ronnie saying crappy, Krin saying crappy, Brody saying catfish, Randall saying catfish, Yanna is saying catfish, Steve and Brent saying catfish. The correct answer is catfish. Everyone except for Ronnie and Corin, who said crappy got it right. Ramsey made this declaration while filming a show in Oklahoma where he goes noodling for catfish. He likened their taste to cod or halibit and use plenty of expletives to describe their delicious flavor. If you want to learn how to make my favorite recipe for catfish, then watch Jesse Griffiths video on the meat eater dot com called the best beer battered fish.
Speaker 7: I'd rather eat catfish than halib.
Speaker 2: Phil. We have one question left. Did anything change?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 9: No, nothing changed except now Ronnie is no longer in the running. But we've got Steve with six points. Brodieiannison Randall are tied up with seven in first place.
Speaker 2: Question ten.
Speaker 5: So let me think about this second. You're gonna have one.
Speaker 4: You need a hell of a bone right now, Steve.
Speaker 5: That we kind of work out.
Speaker 4: Question.
Speaker 2: Topic is gear? This brand famously ends their commercials with the tagline I'm Larry Potterfield, Thanks for your business. Topic is Gear? This brand famously ends their commercials with the tagline I'm Larry Potterfield, thanks for your business. A confidence Steve, Steve, you have this one right. It doesn't look like and Randall and Brodie Potterfield, Oh you know him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like a nice guy.
Speaker 4: Okay, he can put the screws to you though.
Speaker 2: I'm Larry Potterfield, Thanks for your business.
Speaker 5: I want tell people at home who are on the edge of your seats and not winning.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean I got it right, but.
Speaker 2: It's like we get a three way tiebreaker with Brody, Randall and Giannis.
Speaker 1: You should go out early. There's always no pressure.
Speaker 2: Is everybody have any good?
Speaker 5: What you got down there?
Speaker 4: Ronnie?
Speaker 2: Do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I believe so.
Speaker 4: I don't have it at all, but I know exactly what. The first one that shows it, I'll be like, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: That isn't the villain in What a Wonderful Life? What's his last name? Is it Potter?
Speaker 4: Or it is Potter Potter Villa alternate?
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, let's not good? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Angela saying north Face, Ronnie saying Hotel six without an answer, Brody's saying Midway us A, Randall and Giannis and Steve saying Midway us A. Brent saying Massy Ferguson. The correct answer is Midway us A.
Speaker 5: Dude, if you're trying to find like some AMMO or a weird ass gun party going Midway man.
Speaker 2: Potter Fields found did Midway us A? In nineteen seventy seven. Here's a thirty four second video I compiled just of him executing his famous commercial tagline take it away, Phil.
Speaker 1: Sorry guys, it's gone.
Speaker 5: Great punch there, Phil.
Speaker 1: I know it's great.
Speaker 4: I'm Larry potter Field with Midway us A. Thanks for your business for really.
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm Larry Potterfield with Midway USA.
Speaker 5: Thanks for your business.
Speaker 9: I'm Larry potter Field with Midway USA.
Speaker 4: Thanks for business.
Speaker 2: It does have that very thanks for your business they did Cross Potter.
Speaker 4: I have no affiliation to your business.
Speaker 7: I've never heard of him.
Speaker 1: Larry keeps going.
Speaker 5: Esoteric AMMO.
Speaker 2: Larry takes fast shipping very seriously US.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you where sure they're located.
Speaker 5: Yeah, except I'm saying I will often wind up there when if you can't find something, you'll find it there.
Speaker 2: We are going to overtime play the drop Phil.
Speaker 3: Time.
Speaker 5: They just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff. It's funny. I never liked it, they Phil cough Man.
Speaker 2: The tie breaking topic is conservation, and this question was sent to me by Steve Schwang. According to the Migratory Bird Act, what is the max number of days a state's duck season can be?
Speaker 1: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Topic is conservation. According to the Migratory Bird Act, what is the max number of days a state's duck season can be? Everyone in the room should play along, because if somebody hits it right on the nose, we can add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. But the only answers that matter for the win are Jannis, Randall and Brodie.
Speaker 4: Do you know what exactly Randall?
Speaker 1: I have no earthly idea could question.
Speaker 2: According to the Migratory Bird Act, what is the max number of days a States duck season can be?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Can I tidbit this a little bit?
Speaker 2: Sure? If our if our mom? Okay, don't don't help them out too much.
Speaker 5: That's why you wind up with all these crazy ass like opens, closes, opens, back up for a weekend, closes opens because they you know, they got to stay within the parameter.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready, Yanni? How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: Educated?
Speaker 2: Guess? If I do B, I all gonna be like within thirty days.
Speaker 5: Okay, If I do OB, I just win.
Speaker 2: So if you hit it right on the nose, no, you don't win, but you'll add one hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Do I remember wanting to do away with that rule, but now I'd rather like it.
Speaker 2: Is every body ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? For the win. We have Angela saying twenty five, Ronnie's saying sixty two, Korinn saying seventy five, Steve saying is that a ninety? Stee's saying ninety, Brent saying sixty. In our three competitors left, we have Brody saying ninety, Randall's saying one twenty five, Yannis saying one hundred. One of you is within seven days of the correct answer, Rode. The correct answer is one hundred seven days, making Yannis Utah Utah is the closest to hitting that season with a season that's one hundred and six days long.
Speaker 5: Gig wow, losing that way. I gotta go to my notes.
Speaker 7: It's been so long I can't remember a single conservation organization. So I've got a couple of them written down here. Again, give me a second.
Speaker 2: Utah is the closest to hitting that. Their season is one hundred and six days long, which is one day short of the maximum length.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was thinking like average.
Speaker 3: I just wasn't thinking maximum.
Speaker 2: Yanni as the winner, with what eight correct answers and the tie breaking correct answer, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation goes. What's it going to be?
Speaker 7: I'm still trying to find it in my notes.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me just a second, hands for us.
Speaker 5: What you got to do? Phil?
Speaker 4: Can you play the Larry Potterfield?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: The one I had written down I already used.
Speaker 2: Okay, good use of time. What are we going to go with?
Speaker 7: Let's go with the National Beer Alliance?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you like about them? Is a surprised to me.
Speaker 7: I've just been uh, you know, I don't want to use that term, but I've been all in recently on habitat management because of that little project I got going on in Wisconsin, and so I've been going a lot, but spend some time reading on what they put out there about improving my habitat in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: So I appreciated.
Speaker 5: And you slugged it out against all the bone throwing, slugged it out.
Speaker 7: And I thought I literally had been chased by a Caucasian shepherd within the last year or six months, and that dog wasn't quite not exactly like it's the chow chow, but pretty close.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you got Minnesota and no one else did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just slug out.
Speaker 5: I just kept he stayed in there, kept sport early and kept winning.
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show conservation always wins.