Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg business Week inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business Week Weekend Podcast. Well another packed week, the first and maybe only debate between Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump. We also got an uptick in jobless claims and two reads on US inflation supporting a quarter point cut. As we count down to this coming week's FED meeting, we are certainly setting up for a busy September and Fall, a theme this past week as the campaign's sprint to the finish leadership. On that, a couple of conversations about leadership, including one this hour with the former CEO of Dow Chemical, plus.
Speaker 3: The next new iPhone super cycle or a Bit of a Miss, and the Bloomberg Bag take on our world's largest market cap company. Yeah, we're still talking about Apple, how it came to rule the world.
Speaker 2: All of that to come, and we begin with a look toward the November presidental election. On Tuesday night, Donald Trump and Kamala Harris sparred through their first debate. The former president and current vice president traded barb's over abortion rights, foreign policy January sixth, and of course the economy. Although I got to say, Tim, I think while it was touched upon, a lot of people think there was not enough information about it, especially when it comes to specific policies.
Speaker 3: What do you think, based on other debates in recent years, doesn't surprise me at all? Yeah, these have never, at least in recent memory, been filled with lots of policy. But I think that's what a lot of voters want to see. I mean, especially from Harris, who they don't know as well according to polls, as they know Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do feel like debates have become especially for Harris, who's playing catchup in a big way right about who I am as a leader, where I stand on policies. Is she just Biden two point zero? I mean there's a lot of questions out there.
Speaker 3: I think that's why you still have folks out there saying she's got to do more interviews.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So we'll see that if that comes. We'll also see if we get more debates. There's been a lot of back and forth about whether or not. We'll certainly see that well.
Speaker 3: For more on the campaigns in the aftermath of the debate, we turned to Stefan sea League. He worked in leadership roles in both the private and public sectors, including a nearly thirty year career on Wall Street. He's former Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade at the US Department of Commerce during the Obama administration, also headed the International Trade Administration. Stefan also menaging partner and founder of Bridge Park Advisors.
Speaker 2: Last time he was on with US, said that President Biden would step down from the race. So, first of all, congratulations and will you buy me a lottery ticket? Why did you think that so much? Because he had no choice, remind us? And why you were thinking about that because it was before he did it obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you recall, Carol, this was right after the former president was shot, and I thought that, you know, that opportunity for him to look so presidential was going to give him a real bump, and I thought it was going to force President Biden's hand. And fundamentally, what I told you is when I believe that when he was convinced and his closest advisors and confidence was were convinced that he was going to lose. He was going to do the right thing and be a patriot and do the right thing for the country and for the party, and that's ended up being that's what he did.
Speaker 2: So your thoughts on last night and what the race is now? Did we get enough when it comes to economics and policy and things that Americans care about?
Speaker 5: You know, I was actually surprised about how little of the debate actually covered economic topics. Where you look at all of the polling, it says economic issues are the most important things that are going to drive undecided voters votes in the election. One is the economy, and to his inflation, I'm not sure not part of the economy. But I think we got, you know, far less of a real substance of dialogue on those topics, and I would have hoped and expected. And I also thought that, you know, there was really very peripheral conversation around China, which I also might have expected given the important issues that our country faces with its greatest competitor.
Speaker 3: We did get some conversation on tariffs, and Donald Trump did push back on what we heard from Kamala Harris by saying that the Biden administration did leave intact some of the tariffs that the Trump administration had put on China. What are your thoughts around those types of protectionist trade policies.
Speaker 5: You know, it's interesting, Tim, Actually both parties are really largely aligned on tariffs and trade. Actually, there are, of course some nuances. Foreign President Trump is doubling down on his reasonably aggressive, you know, trade stance. What he said at least was he would implement tariffs of ten to twenty percent across the board and sixty percent of goods coming in from China with a broad brush. I don't think that's particularly effective.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: To be sure, tariffs have a important place to protect industry, US industry, where those industries are critical to our national security interests. But when you do it on a broad brushed basis, at least, it's my view that the light's not worth the candle because clearly it's inflationary. I think it actually costs you more jobs than it saves you, and costs get passed on to the consumer. And frankly, there are a lot of industries where we are just not competing effectively on a global basis, and as a result, taxing those goods coming in is just you know, bad for US consumers and is inflation.
Speaker 2: So it's not apples to apples in terms of what Donald Trump is proposing now stuff in terms of more Chinese goods that are coming in versus what we've seen during the Trump administration what continued into the Biden administration, specifically on high tech and chips in particular, So it's not the same thing.
Speaker 5: Well, the tariffs, I mean, let's separate. One of the things that Biden administration did was export controls as it relates to chips and critical technology, but specifically as it relates to tariffs. You know, this started with steel production and the issue around state owned enterprises in China, which controls steel production and now are by far the leading producer of steel around the world and have flooded the market. The fact is President Trump put on tariffs for imported steel from China. The fact is the Biden administration kept those tariffs. But the fact is China's behavior has not changed. And so the question always should become in these circumstances, was it effective and at least so far in changing Chinese behavior as it relates to steel, it hasn't been effective and in fact it's gotten in many ways worse because the Chinese economy has slowed and as a result, their domestic consumption of steel has gone down. And what's happened to all that steel that continues to be produce. It's being sent overseas, driving down prices and creating, you know, real global instability in that steel in the steel market.
Speaker 3: You did mention the economy and inflation, two things that we know things to pull after poller on the top of mind for voters. We learned a little bit more about Kamala Harris, but still, since she's relatively new as a candidate and it doesn't have a full policy position out there, we don't know everything about how she feels about this stuff. Some of her other policies that she's unveiled in recent weeks include not no taxing tips she's come out with that first time home buyers getting some sort of home buying credit, expansion of the child tax credit, supporting small businesses we learned in recent weeks with tax cuts there.
Speaker 5: But let's go through a couple of those tips.
Speaker 3: I want to talk specifically about the home.
Speaker 5: The home buying the home buying one to me is interesting, and you didn't mention, obviously the whole price gouging price issue that she raised, because you know, to me, these both reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of reasonably simple economics, right, which is, if you give somebody twenty five thousand dollars to go buy a first home, and there is frankly a not a demand issue, but a supply issue. Let me tell you what's going to happen That curve goes up and houses are going to cost twenty five thousand dollars more.
Speaker 3: Basic economics.
Speaker 7: Basic economics. So I just don't see.
Speaker 5: How that works and does what she wants to do, which is to actually assist new home buyers in affording their first terms. What it's going to do is just increase the prices of homes. And so to me, this is very similar with the whole price gouging issue which you talked about in groceries and in food retail. As we all know, when you don't let the market set prices, let that leads to inefficiencies and in this particular case, would lead to shortages in certain goods. You know, again a supply and demand as Carol suggested it sets prices, and when government artificially sets prices, you lose the signaling impact of what supply and demand leads to, and as a result, you get market inefficiencies, which is going to be bad ultimately for consumers because when they go by macaroni and cheese it it's not going to be on the shelf because companies aren't going to be able to make enough money. I would also observe that it's not like the food retailing industry is such a profitable business. I mean, at the height of the pandemic, the best grossers were making what five ish percent margins and so as a result of that, the notion that they're price gouging is a little bit of a head scratcher.
Speaker 2: One thing that's stuck with me, or stayed with me from our last conversation is, you know, the stock market isn't Main Street, right, and so there are a lot of Americans that are struggling. So I'm trying to understand because you know, this race is a close one no matter what, and these are two people who stand for very different things and a very different candidate. Why is it in such a rich country and in a market where companies seem to get richer and richer that we're not able to pass that wealth on to more workers. I know wages are starting to go up, but how do we fix that?
Speaker 5: Well, look, I mean they're that's a big one. That that is a big one, and it's you know, it relates at least in my view, to education to opportunity, which you know, which touches a whole host of policies. But I think very narrowly as it relates to what is causing the dissatisfaction with the economy today, it is because prices are elevated, and prices are elevated because of what happened in COVID and what's happened after where both administrations frankly, you know, have a lot to answer for because of the increase in the deficits, in the deficit that both parties policies caused, and until they tackle that, I think the conversation about the stock market is high, interest rates are low, inflation is under control. Is fine, But as your last guess or commentator suggested, inflation is interesting, but it's a point measure. It has nothing to do with prices.
Speaker 2: Prices are hot, right, right, and then come down with I think.
Speaker 3: The problem is Americans, who most of whom have not experienced inflation, don't understand that about inflation. They think of inflation as what they pay at the gas pump, and they see those prices fluctuate. So they do see gas prices come down, and maybe that's what they expect.
Speaker 5: Other times, gas prices are now at three or low. Former President Trump is very fixated on oil and gas and gas prices because he thinks there's a direct linkage between gas and prices in inflation. I don't get that economics either. In fact, you know, there is no more of a global commodity than you know, oil and gas, and those prices are not set narrowly based on US production. And so I think that's another example of especially given the importance of energy in Pennsylvania, another example of a pain rhetoric as opposed to you know, real economics and real math.
Speaker 2: Every time we wrap up with you, I'm like, wait, I have a million more questions, so you have to come back again.
Speaker 5: Always happy to join.
Speaker 2: You guys, So we so much appreciate it. I'm Stefan Sealik, thank you so much, Managing partner over at Bridge Park Advisors, as we say, former Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade at the US Department of Commerce that was during the Obama administration, but really looks at things from, as we say, the public and private sectors. All right, folks, you are listening and watching Bloomberg Business Week.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple car Play, and Androyd Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Apple on Monday unveil the latest version of its flagship device, the iPhone sixteen, along with updated versions of its Apple Watch and AirPods. The company is betting it can entice consumers with modest hardware upgrades and AI technology that's still on the horizon.
Speaker 3: It's a gambit for the tech Titan, which has been racing to develop a suite of tools called Apple Intelligence. Though Apple has been touting the tech since it's developers conference back in June, the software will not be included in the initial versions of the new iPhones, perhaps not great for investors who hope that the new iPhone infused with AI capabilities would lead to a so called super cycle. For more, Katie Greifeld and I spoke to our Apple expert, Bloomberg News Chief technology correspondent Mark German.
Speaker 8: I don't think that this is an upgrade design to gather people from a fifteen pro Promax. I think this is an update designed to get people on much older hardware. Are people in other smartphone ecosystems like Android right, because the ear of your hardware improvements are essentially negligible. It's one of the smallest I think annual hardware improvements that I've seen from Apple in a long time. Maybe a little bit more significant than going from the twelve to the thirteen. But yeah, this is pretty bleak. And then the artificial intelligence stuff is really cool, but that's not coming for quite a while, and it's going to be pretty much a phased rollout. So I think we're going for they're going for people that are coming from older phones.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, that's that's interesting because I feel like at this point, like you KT and me, Yeah, but because when you think about, you know, switching from Android to Apple, I feel like Mark, there's like this cult of personality that has developed among each phones. I mean, if you have an Android in the year of Our Lord twenty twenty four, are you going to switch to an iPhone? I mean that seems like that would sort of go against what you believe in at this point.
Speaker 8: Well, if your friends and family force you to because they're tired of you not being able to be in the group chat because you're a green bubble versus their bloom bubbles, right, you know a lot of times it's friends and family pushing people to make that switch. So you know, you want your photos to be and sync with everyone else, you want your subscriptions to be in sync with everyone else. So I think that's a component there. I mean, there's some people who are never going to switch from Android, and there's a lot of people who are never going to switch from Apple to Android. But I think that they're constantly pushing the needle in terms of how they can bring more people from the Android ecosystem. They've made iOS far more customizable to be more like Android. You can now tint your icons to different colors, put your icons anywhere, you don't have to fit within that homescreen grid, there's a lot more customizability for the lock screen and control center. So I certainly think that there is a movement going on from Apple to try to make the iPhone more appealing to people coming from the Android world.
Speaker 10: Network effects him very important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there are case studies for business school written about Apples network effects. Well, Mark, I do, I do want to. I mean you bring up, Mark, the idea of people going out and buying iPhones or like, you know, getting their family to do it. Didn't Tim Cook a few years ago kind of rib somebody and told told him to go buy an iPhone for his mom or his grammar or something.
Speaker 8: Well, if you think about it from a from a financial standpoint and from a fiduciary duty standpoint, he probably didn't need to say that. But you know, his number one priority is to make as much of a return as he can for shareholders, and what drives that return is revenue. And so him telling that person in that audience, I was actually there when he said. I was a little shocked that he said that that he should buy an iPhone from his mom. While that was maybe a rude or snarkyar funny comment, the reality is is that's what he has to say. But that was in response to a question about RCS specifically. Now that I guess the good news for that person in the crowd, if they have not bought their mom and iPhones at this point, is that RCS is coming to the iPhone, and it's coming as part of iOS eighteen. It's already embedded in there, right. I've been using RCS for for a couple months down so.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 8: RCS it's Rich Communication Services. It's basically a next generation version of SMS. It's what Android is using. It takes a lot of the features like Wi Fi texting, read receipts, delivered notifications, high resolution image transfers for both group chats and one to one chats, brings them to the Android world. And now if you're on an iPhone, you'll be able to use RCS to communicate with people on the Android ecosystem. So you'll start green bubble texting with people who don't have an iPhone when you get this iosateen MP today and you'll see you'll start getting read receipts, You'll the images are coming in a little bit more clearly. So that isn't that is a nice upgrade to make things more interoperable. At the time, obviously this is not something Apple wanted to do, but they sort of threw this out as a as a peace offering, right, or as an olive branch to the different regulatory you know, institutions globally saying we're going to do this, you know, maybe go a little bit easier on us.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mark, we have a couple more minutes left with you. I want to talk a little more about what we learned from the company with regards to AI. You said it's sort of this incremental rollout. What's the promise that that Apple has to its customers when it comes to AI.
Speaker 8: Well, the promise they have to their customers is that it's going to launch in October, a month after it launches after the new iPhones go on sale. And they've basically promised a roadmap of features that are going to launch over the next several months. But you know, their big differentiator there is their privacy standpoint. Right. They've been talking about their private cloud compute, which basically uses Apple chips in the cloud to store and process the information using artificial intelligence. And that's a little bit different in the competition because they're promising to keep your data absolutely secure. There have been other companies that use AI to create data and profiles on users, whereas Apple is not doing that, So that is a bit of a differentiator there. At the same time, the functionality is not as broad and as powerful, I would argue as AI on the Google Pixel and the Samsung and some of the other films. At the outset, you're talking about summarizing notification, notifications of incoming messages, incoming emails, slacks, etc. You're talking about prioritizing notifications. Once we get into December, we're starting to get into the image generation class of products, right, talking about gen Moji, which you can use text to create your own emoji. There's an example of you can type in when pigs fly and it'll create a flying pig to send back to your friend and a text message. Right, and so that's going to be cool and fun and all. But you know, we'll see if this is stuff that catches on me personally. I don't think only nine percent of consumers care about AI. They've heard of it, maybe they don't know what it is, but I don't think they care enough to influence purchasing decisions. In larger numbers.
Speaker 3: That was Bloomberg News Chief technology correspondent Mark German.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Apple. The company's worth around three point four trillion dollars, more than any other company in the world. It's twenty twenty three revenue of nearly four hundred billion dollars makes it about as big as the entire economy of Denmark. Are the Philippines, and though most of the business revolves around selling iPhones, it is definitely much more than just the iPhone.
Speaker 3: Last quarter, for example, Apples sales just from digital services reach twenty four point two billion dollars. That's more than the combined revenue of Adobe, Airbnb, Netflix, Palentteer, Spotify, Zoom and x from Elon Musk. Investors seem to have no problem with this kind of dominance. Apple's soaring stock price over the past decade makes that clear. Regulators, on the other hand, well they've got some questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely do. Bloomberg News technology reporter Austin Krr and bluebe Our BusinessWeek columnist Max Chafkin wrote all about it in this week's Big Take about how Apple has come to rule the world. Austin joined Tim and Katie Greifeld.
Speaker 12: The controversy comes down to how much Apple controls its ecosystem, what they will let into. It's so called wald garden, the sort of confines of its platform, and the truth is they don't let a whole a lot in that they don't regulate review and also charge certain commissions and fees on, which is what a lot of developers are taking issues with. If you want to see where the market is seeing a little bit of change, it's actually in Europe with the DMA, the Digital Markets App with the European Union has put Apple on under some pressure to actually change its ways and open up that Apple Guard, that wld garden effect. So actually there you're seeing some pretty novel differences with how you have an iPhone in the US. Just for example, they're opening up alternative marketplaces in Europe, so you can actually download a different app store if you want a different set of experience from different software makers, like Epic Games or another called Alt Store. In fact, over in the EU, you can actually delete Apple native apps, like soon you'll be able to delete the browser Safari, the camera app, and even the app store itself, which is opening up a sort of fundamentally different experience that's a little bit more flexible and open than what we have in the rest of the world. So that's actually a good preview of what you might see on the horizon depending on how regulation shapes up in the US.
Speaker 9: And it's interesting because you can trust that with investors. This feels like for potentially a case where regulators and investors are at odds here because I don't know, Austin, do you see any signs that investors are uneasy with just how dominant Apple is?
Speaker 12: No, I mean, I think that lock in effect is actually what ironically makes it so enticing for investors and also such a beloved company for consumers. I mean, look, the tough thing for the DOJ here in the US, which filed its anti trust complaint earlier in March, is that what they take issue with, the way that Apple controls its ecosystem, integrates its hardware, software and services is usually what consumers really love about it. You know, we like that it works really together if you have a MacBook, an Apple Watch, AirPods, and an iPhone at.
Speaker 3: The same time.
Speaker 12: We don't really quite grasp that because of that integrated experience, what it's locking out it can be a detriment to the experience itself. Even if we like the apple of day to day incremental updates. They didn't really release any new AI features that they hadn't already previewed. They're not actually going to come for a few months. That's one example of the ways that perhaps they're not incentivized to move as fast and as risky and as innovatively as they had to in years past, because there's not a lot of risk that I as an iPhone user and going to leave to a different ecosystem.
Speaker 9: Right, Well, let's talk about that a little bit more, because we're talking about regulators. Then we talked about investors, and you bring up the end user, of course, the customer, the person who is buying into this walled garden. I mean, what is the sense there are users getting frustrated with the fact that you do have to buy.
Speaker 10: Into an ecosystem.
Speaker 9: You can't really I just a product one off and then integrate it with other products from other companies.
Speaker 12: The thing is that this isn't an overnight switch. This is something that they've essentially been building out from when Steve Jobs came back and released the iMac than the iPod, and so on. You started building up that ecosystem over the course of decades where if you have an iPhone, remember that device came out before there was an app store, and then they introduced the App store a year later. Then they introduced a lot of companion devices like the iPad, like the Apple Watch, like air pods, and then on top of that, part of what makes CEO Tim Cook's era so monumental has been this push into services. So you subscribe to iCloud, you subscribe to TV Plus, fitness subscriptions, things like that, and so these are all things that add on to the experience and make it just that much easier to add a new Apple device or a new Apple subscription because that's your default, that's what you're going to want to add to now. That also makes it easier to escape that ecosystem. You know, once you've invested thousands of dollars in the app Apple ecosystem, you're not going to suddenly overnight switch to a Windows PC or a Google Pixel phone just because they add a new AI feature. It makes that sort of mote that Apple has all the wider because it is very difficult to people not just to switch one device, but to switch their entire portfolio of hardware and software. And I think that's why shareholders really love Apple stock, because its mode is so wide. It's walled garden barriers are so tall.
Speaker 3: Austin, you and Max, I love the way you start the piece that iconic nineteen eighty four Apple ad the sort of David versus Golias, you know, and where Apple has come since then and from then. I wonder, just in the last thirty seconds that we have with you, what the biggest threat to Apple is right now moving forward?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think it is sort of a feeling of incrementalism of you know, things aren't seemingly disruptive until they are being able to disrupt, until they are disrupted.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 12: I think when chat ChiPT came along in late twenty twenty two, that shocked a lot of people. No one had ever seen anything like that. And here we are two years later and Apple's just getting around to rolling out its AI features, maybe if which won't roll out to twenty twenty five. Now, did that disrupt you know, sales of the iPhone going for work. No, there's not really a chat Schipt phone that's out there, but you can see the risks of sort of slowly introducing some of this this innovation. You know, it has downsides for consumers. At what point are they going to say, you know what, I want something a little bit sooner. I want something a little bit faster and cooler.
Speaker 3: Austin Carr one half of the team that did today's at Bloomberg Big Take. Check it out at Bloomberg dot com, Slash the Big Take, and of course, on the terminal.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple car Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business Ad. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 3: Our next guest is the former chairman and CEO of the Dow Chemical Companies, also former executive chairman of DuPont. He spent more than forty years at the company. He worked in engineering, he worked in manufacturing, management, sales, marketing, and more. Andrew Liveris is also the author of the book Leading Through Disruption, a change Maker's Guide to twenty first century Leadership. The book came out last year. We're happy to have you here in our Bloomberg studio. How are you? I'm good, tim thank you, welcome. More than forty years at a single company, it's not something that well, I mean, I was going to say, it's not something you see in that like in our generation. But Katie's actually born here. Yeah, you've been here your whole life.
Speaker 10: Never left the building up.
Speaker 3: I'll take I take that back. But in all seriousness, you don't see the tenure of somebody spending their entire career at a company. Was that detrimental to a career.
Speaker 7: I think you can have many many careers in one career. And I had many geographies. I was had in Australia, worked in Hong Kong, spent a lot of time in China, Korea, Thailand, brought to Louisiana, called out a different country sometimes, and then you know, back to Ashaw. So they moved me around. So as a young person, I ever thought I'd be a global nomad. I became one. And then to the book, I became a global citizen, which I don't think there's a lot of us around, and I think big American global companies do that to people. They expose us to these different risks and uncertainties and make you, as a young person, have experiences that you otherwise will not get in sort of a singular career. So I didn't consider it one career nor forty years. But every time someone says that to me, I say, really, did that long?
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like it?
Speaker 7: No, No, A second lightning second.
Speaker 10: Wow, Yeah, that's really interesting.
Speaker 9: I mean, do you think that's important experience to have this idea of being a global citizen? When you take a look at corporate leadership today, do you view that as a prerequisite.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the world has gone tribal. We're retreating to our tribes. We're not understanding each other. And the vacuum from political leadership is huge. As we're noticing everywhere in the world, democracy and capitalism is going through a divorce, and so the distribution of wealth has been uneven and now we've seen decades of it. And those of us who are lucky to be born in the right place with the right parents, yeah, we're good. But that's a small percentage of us. So then how do we bring these tribes together? In the twenty first century, the digital assault on all of.
Speaker 6: Us is known.
Speaker 7: You know, we are clearly getting assaulted with information that we can't make sense of. Young people are seeing wars around the place. They're seeing what's going on with the environment and social injustices, these tectonic shifts. All of us are retreating to our tribes. So the term global citizen and how to bring these tribes together in this new world of ours twenty first century is really what the book speaks to. My observation is that everything still is community based. We like neighbors, we like being in person and having you know, a beer or a barbecue with our neighbors. We're going to create that feeling on a global level, and to do that, you've got to get the right type of leader in place.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you brought this up because I've been referring to this article that Simone Foxman wrote at the end of last month quite a bit, because we've seen this backlash of DEI at companies. So I'll read from it. Lowe's Harley Davidson, Tractor Supplied, Deer Brown, Foreman, and most recently, among most recently Ford, the latest in a string of high profile companies they've pulled back on pledges to commit to diversity, equity and inclusion programs, many of them that were made in the wake of George Floyd's death back in twenty twenty. How do you see the role of a corporation or a company in a world where there's so much pushback when a company comes out and speaks for something. Should companies even be speaking out for or against this stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I'm very big on purpose based leadership. Purpose based leadership being values based. Society's are demanding that we earn the licensed to operate as enterprises. Societies evolved from one hundred years ago, fifty years ago, twenty years ago. DEI came a fad and became something that I think the term workism was born. That's when it's at its worse, because if it's a quota based system or a prescription or a rule in some financial capital allocation process, that's not DEI.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 7: DEI is absolutely putting in place human systems that respect each other and have integrity and treat each other fairly, and that those systems are transparent. And I happen to believe that global corporations like Dow do that and do that well. I'm on the board of IBM We do that very well there, but to do that across cultures, we're finding that actually we're not taking time to walk in each other's shoes. And then if we're looking within the country to take the United States, we are divided because we're not taking time to understand each other. Who should take the responsibility for that clearly government, But government is spending all of its time trying to get elected. It's very short term, so we say what's popular, So populism anti dei or prodi is the wrong prescription. What you've got to figure out is how to actually put in place long term measures to allow access to the two things that matter in human involved society, education and health.
Speaker 3: And you think you can do that without a company coming out and looking.
Speaker 7: Quote absolutely absolutely I mean DOW. I mean we had our own healthcare system for our employees. We absolutely totally hire with equality and social justice in mind. We go to all the schools where we can get diversity of talent. Look at me, I'm an Australian of Greek origins from northern out back Australia. How did I ever become CEO of DOW? I mean, so I was given opportunity companies can do that. I think the answer today is don't look to the political body, look to the enterprise that is purpose based, and don't make it a fad that comes and goes.
Speaker 9: Well, this conversation reminds me of sort of the backlash we've also seen against ESG, of course, especially when you think about the governance part of ESG. And I mean one of the rallying cries for sort of the anti ESG folks was that why are you not focusing on me making money?
Speaker 10: Basically?
Speaker 9: And they would say that there's a tension there between that values based leadership and actually.
Speaker 10: Making a profit making money. I mean, how would you answer that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the first chapter of the book is on that topic. And the first thing I say is can we get away with these acronyms? Stop them, stop them please? They don't mean anything. ESG meant nothing to nobody. So then people started attacking it on the money making thing. So I divide it into its three very important subjects, environmental stewardship, social stewardship, and governance with a big G and a little G. And then I take all those subjects and I look at them from the point of view of what's my long term cost of ownership. If I put all those things in place, and by the way, if I do things right, by the long term, I set a standard so high that if governments regulate and regulate correctly, then absolutely I can make a profit when no one else can. In other words, it's not the ninety day return I'm looking for with EESG. It's actually the return over ten years, which is in essence, what you do when you build a building, what you build a factory. You look at what the impact is on the human system and the environment, and then you become the steward of what is E S and G. And I divide the subject as a business subject. At dow sustainabily wasn't an initiative, it was absolutely a business subject.
Speaker 3: What about politics? Everyone loves talking politics.
Speaker 7: Let's go there's a lot of around lately.
Speaker 3: What should the role of a leader be, a leader of a corporation be in a highly charged political environment?
Speaker 7: So the extreme of politics is what we're living with, whether it's in Europe or I said, democracy and capitalism going through divorce mostly because of short termism and the disease of short termism. Politicians are trying to get elected.
Speaker 3: And we should know. You were a leader of President Trump's Manufacturing Council.
Speaker 7: Right, and also President Obama's and also advised President Bush.
Speaker 3: So you've been you've been doing President Biden.
Speaker 7: On infrastructure, okay, and I've just been given a request from a Harris campaign to help out. So all of that to tell you, I'm not afraid of politics because what I do as a corporate leader is embrace policy. And policy is where the word politics comes from. And if I embrace policy that is fair and balance, it doesn't become extreme because you have to compromise. Us politics used to understand the art of compromise between the Houses and the executive branch. Lost that. Probably the last administration that had compromised in its mix was the Plinton one. And so we've gone to these extremes were left wing policies and right being policy. So who's going to fill the vacuum? I think enterprises and corporate leaders should Why because they run ecosystems around all communities. A doow one hundred and sixty countries, pretty much half the states of America. We listen to communities. This is what politics are stopped doing.
Speaker 3: One policy that I know is of interest to our listeners and our viewers, because one just got in touch with me to ask you about tariffs. Yeah, one of our listeners want to know about what tariffs mean to you through the lands of a CEO who created things? And do you see retaliatory behavior globally as a result of tariffs.
Speaker 7: Believe it or not. This is my second book. My first book, Making in America, was written in twenty eleven after my observation that China and a lot of the countries in the Faris in particular, were my competitors. They weren't companies, they were countries. American global companies competed against countries who subsidized oka their industries solar renewables win evs. Lately, that type of subsidy is not fair market practice. So how do you collaborate unfair market practice? What you put in place rules standards? In other words, what's the standard for selling a product in my country? And then non tariff tariff barriers. In essence, that basically means you have to meet my regulations and then if they all fail, then you have to resort to tarif. I'm not a fan of tariff's, but you've got to provide a runway for competitive advantage. A competitive advantage comes from your ability to not be subsidized and to actually do it based on human talent. Capital is no longer a differentiator an innovation. America has still got the best innovators on the planet. They don't need to be subsidized. But do they need a runway where to actually scale and make money so they can afford to build an innovator. The answer is yes. Tariff's aid best is a temporary fix, not a long term fix.
Speaker 3: More than forty years at one company, you saw a lot. I'm going to ask you about some of the challenging times that you saw at the company. How do you deal with that challenging legacy?
Speaker 7: You know, the decades before I joined ow that DEO was you know, Doll was eighteen ninety seven. So in the many decades of learning how to work with government and agencies, as America progressed and obviously understood science and chemistry and its effects on human ecosystems, environment, it meant that the first of the birth of the EPA, and then I talked about the five d's. The first D is defiance. They don't know what they're talking about. The second is denial, that's not us. The third is they're not going away, Let's have a debate. And then the fourth D is Okay, the debate's not leading anywhere. Let's have a discussion about how to fix something. Those four d's, I'll get to the fifth and a second is what we learned in terms of how to work with government on the regulatory side. So by the time I became CEO, I actually learned that the most powerful combination of words, as it relates to what you just asked about chemistry and the environment, chemistry and human systems was regulation. That was smart. Smart regulation meant the regular t now had to work with the government body and actually helped come up with the better REGs. Why because science changes. We can measure things in parts petrillion today whereas thirty years ago parts per million, and ability to do that needs to be shared and made available. So that's what I did it Now, I made it all that available so that governments could work closely with us. I spent more time in Washington than any other former CEO because of that. In other words, I've got to help them help us. The fifty is do let's do something about it. Let's not just talk and so putting it into an action. If you're running one hundred year old company, it's not a startup, right. I mean, you've got to create an entrepreneurial culture that got us got us there in the first place. Everyone had to be small once. When you become big, you've got to remember what made you good when you were small. And so I got our PhDs and our scientists with our customers to come up with the better answer and that sort of mindset around science and chemistry. I talk about it in the book. We've got to absolutely humanize science. We've got to make our scientists as heroes, as our sports stars on with the Olympics these days, or our celebrities. We've got to look at as young people. We're going to look at science and say these are the problems and trying to change that attitude. I changed the company's culture, and that type of company then has the right to operate in the twenty first century. And of course I digitized, I made it sustainable all those things now. To do that, I had a fifteen year tenure. Most CEOs don't last that long. I had to see through what I said I would do, and I happened to think I was an entrepreneur from a young age twenty one. I just didn't know it.
Speaker 6: Today I would.
Speaker 7: Say I was a corporate entrepreneur, and I think we need that type of leader in charge to be flexible, agile, resilient, patient, but of course collaborative, to absolutely totally get the other side of the conversation to the table.
Speaker 9: And you bring up the Olympics. You did my segue a little bit for me in talking about the five days. You bring up the Olympics. You know you want to make your scientists as famous as revered as Olympians. Let's actually talk about Olympia and stuff, because.
Speaker 10: This is really interesting.
Speaker 9: You are involved in planning the twenty thirty two Olympics in Brisbane, your native Australia. I actually was in Paris, I heard during the commercial.
Speaker 3: Breakdown as a viewer athlete.
Speaker 9: Not as an athlete. We are training super hard for twenty twenty eight. Not sure I'm going to get there, but let's talk about twenty thirty two because Paris did.
Speaker 10: A beautiful job.
Speaker 9: I know that you spent several weeks in Paris as well. What experience is what takeaways can you take from Paris. As you look to the future, as you look to twenty thirty two, the.
Speaker 7: Olympics of the twenty first century, you use the keyword experience. I think humanity is actually buying experiences and actually I'm going to use the word fun, but it actually likes. Humanity likes to be with each other. And Paris was the first Olympics really since Rio. Yeah, when everyone was together. Remember Tokyo had the COVID delay, that opportunity for the Parisians to put on the best of their culture, which they did, but to make it fun, to make it to a bane. If you've got a chance to go to the urban park where they had the five urban sports and field yeah, well track and field was for normal started a France, but the Parisian crowds turned up for these newer sports, skateboarding, breakdancing.
Speaker 6: You know, everybody was talking by Australian Regan.
Speaker 7: I know what she did, so certainly got it in fact. But the fun and the experience is what stood out in Paris that humanity basically went back to the ancient Greeks. I'm a Greek descent and said, let's put down all of our ills, all of our woes and let's enjoy each other. Paris did that in space the sensational games, not just the Olympics, but the Paralympics. Actually, I enjoyed the Paralympics as much as the Olympics because I saw humans with disabilities not think of themselves that way. They saw themselves as high performance athletes doing amazing things. And you know what, they're right and they've had to overcome. Each of them has the story and a narrative. Spent a lot of time with them talking about that. It was for me it raised the bar for Brisbane. As you just said, Lucky for me, I've got La in the middle. Although La, I think is going to do a pretty good job too.
Speaker 10: Pretty excited for that one.
Speaker 9: Yeah it's not exactly a gorgeous European city.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: Maybe they'll transform it well who knows.
Speaker 7: But they definitely have Hollywood and celebrities and venues.
Speaker 10: That's a glitz.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a glitz. Let's a glitz. I have nature, I have Australia. I have a warm, friendly society. I have and a bit of leader to actually use oceans and rivers and forests and reefs and put on a spectacle where the Olympics meets nature and the other way around. Our motto already is shine brightest period together.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to go.
Speaker 10: After I looks at Paris.
Speaker 9: Person was my some of the Olympics. I want to go every four years. I want to make it a priority.
Speaker 3: You got time twenty thirty two.
Speaker 10: Okay, it's on the calendar.
Speaker 3: All right, Katie's there. A big thank you. Andrew. Andrew liveris his book Leading Through Disruption, A change Maker's Guide to twenty first century leadership. Former CEO of the Dow Chemical Company, former executive chair of Dow DuPont. He's on the boards of Lucid Group, Sadi Raby Oil, IBM, and he's working hard on the Olympics. This is Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple, car Play and and Broyd Auto with a Bloomberg Business act or wants us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Plenty ahead in our second hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, including bringing back the Sport and sportswear Helen Tuckett teamed up with baseball legend and investor Derek Jeter with the goal of creating the next great athletic brand.
Speaker 3: Plus pulling back the curtain and digging deeper on what it takes for world class CEOs to reinvent themselves. The author of the Journey of Leadership joins us later on.
Speaker 2: First Up This Hour. It's been pretty slow progress, but the gap between women and men in leadership roles at US business schools has been shrinking, especially as more women are promoted to positions that are stepping stones to deanships.
Speaker 3: According to research by the Association to Advanced Collegiate Schools of Business in twenty twenty three to this year, women deans at three hundred and sixty eight US business schools represented thirty percent of the total. It's an increase from seventeen percent in two thousand and seventy two thousand and eight. What's more, the AACSB found women now account for forty three percent of associate business school deans. It's a position that often leads to a deanship, thirty four percent currently in that role. We're once associate B school deans.
Speaker 2: All right, So sound like the trend is a good one. Even though the gap is shrinking, women still make up only a third of all business school deans. One of those deans is when now she is dean of the Villanova School of Business. She joined Tim, Katie Greyfield and Bloomberg News Senior editor Dimitra Cassani's.
Speaker 3: Demeter, I want to start with you. I want you to set the scene for us, because each year you spend a lot of time focusing on business schools for Bloomberg Business Week. Take us into the gender gap when it comes to leadership at these schools.
Speaker 13: Well, it's just like the numbers that you just mentioned. I mean, there's been a substantial gender gap, but we see it narrowing and importantly so I think you see it to some degree in a way with our guests today with Dean Mao of Villanova. Women who've been at these institutions for a while, who've been growing in different positions and moving their way up. And as we see more and more of those women sort of stepping into these associate dean ships, you know they're primed for taking on these roles. I think it's just the generation and the time that we're in that it's all kind of coming together. There's still a gap, and even I think there's still a bit of a gap. I'm looking it up now and I'll know that in a minute when I put my finger on it, when it comes to salary and some other differences. But it is meaningful. It's meaningful in many ways. It's as we reported in our story, Dean mal was one of several deans that we reported on to the women in that institution in various roles, to the women who go to those institutions and study representation, as we know, matters, and I think it's a very meaningful change. Also, just given the way that these institutions are led, there are differences, and so I think that it's something that we're going to be happy to keep tracking in various ways.
Speaker 10: Well, Dean Mail come in on that point.
Speaker 9: Of course, you're dean of the Villanova School of Business. I actually went to school at harber For just two miles down the road.
Speaker 10: But you've been with Villanova in various roles since nineteen ninety six, I believe.
Speaker 9: So what was the path to finally becoming dean of the business school?
Speaker 14: Oh, it's pretty much my entire career. So I started as an assistant professor in the economics department really one year out of the graduate program, and then became tenured at the business school and then took on the department chair bro only because my colleagues wanted to hear me called chairman mouth. So they waited were for ten years for that to happen. When it finally happened, they're like, yeah, we want her. I never actually wanted because in academia, I think what drew us to this profession, at least most of us, I try not to overly generalize, is to a degree of freedom. You don't really have a boss. I mean, department chare really isn't a boss. It's really everybody is your boss. So and also like you're really not drawn to the salary, right, and so it's really that freedom, it's that purpose. It's that working with young people and research, right, those are the things that dow you there. So being an administrator isn't in most people's plan.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, dmail, I'm curious how the makeup of the school is representative or is not representative from a gender perspective of the actual administration.
Speaker 14: In terms of you know, the deans or yeah, in terms.
Speaker 3: Of the deans, for example, and I can only draw in my own experience, but when my dad, when my dad went to business school in seventies, it was almost all men. When I went to business school, you know what, eight or ten years ago, it was like fifty to fifty, But it didn't seem like the administration was fifty to fifty gender.
Speaker 14: Well yeah, so if you count department chairs and the deans and associate deans right now, say, out of the five department chairs, we only have one female, and she's actually the finance department chair, which has sixty percent of our students, so very very important job, and she's done a fantastic job at that. In terms of the dean's job, let's just soom out a little bit for the whole university. We have six colleges, right, so six deans, five are female at Villanova. So so that's impressive. But if you think about history, right, Dmitria is right that we have come a long way. It didn't just happen overnight. I'm looking at the hallway and see all the prior business school deans pictures and I think I'm the second female. The previous dean was the first female dean Enjoyce Russell and then prior to that all male and mostly priests, and so.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's.
Speaker 6: School.
Speaker 14: So it's certainly come a long way. But right now, for instance, I have two senior associate deans and one male one female.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so.
Speaker 11: There you go.
Speaker 10: And that's the Villanova make up there.
Speaker 9: And you mentioned and that it's not something that you necessarily get into for the salary. But Demetria, I want to come to you on that point. I mean, you think about the data that you have and what does that show when it comes to the salaries.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I mean we show we've collected data. Again it's from AACSB, the association that Tim mentioned, and there's still there's still a gap. I mean, the gap in salary has been somewhat consistent, it feels like over the last five to eight years, which is about women lagging men in the dean's roll five to six percent in salary. So you know, if you're looking at say an average salary for male deans today of about three hundred and twenty six thousand versus for females of three hundred and thirteen three hundred and fourteen thousand, you know it's not a Hugey's not huge, but it's a disparity. And these are people again, you know, coming up through the ranks long time, with the institution holding important roles. You know, sometimes you just scratch your head wonder why they.
Speaker 3: Hold on? Why is college and graduate school so expensive? What are the salaries?
Speaker 13: Well, those they are they are big salaries, but they're big jobs. Maybe I don't know, demail in.
Speaker 14: Terms of the cost that it's very interesting you asked that. I think inflation adjusted economists here confession, it didn't go up as much as the sort of headline price tag says, because you also have scholarships, right, and so the net cost of attending actually in recent years have gone down, did not go up. So so that's but if you see the price tag, it's like you go to the car dealership. No one actually pays that tag price, right, You kind of have discounts, and so most universities give out discounts based on these and because that information is very hard to obtain, so there isn't a transparency to how much the actual cost is for the students. So most universities, believe it or not, are being pressed squeezed right on one hand, you're giving all these discounts, so you're not bringing as much tuition, And on the other hand you have the rising costs with faculty salary and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wanted to get into some of the challenges that schools are facing right now, the effect of the Supreme Court decision back in the summer of twenty twenty three that bans affirmative action. How's this playing out at Villanova and at the Business School.
Speaker 14: Actually we have not finalized the numbers for this year yet, but preliminary data seemed to suggest the numbers pretty much stabilized. So it didn't have a big impact for a school like us, and maybe partly because we still have very strong outreach. And also, if you think about it, mit I think came out and said that. They came out and said that was a big story. The number did go down for them, right, And I was thinking, like just a few days ago, well, that has to have impact on the school right below, Right, So these students go somewhere, Where did they go?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 14: Could they be coming to some school like us? And maybe that has an impact sort of the next year schools And then it trigg goes down to the following year. So that's maybe just a sort of an educated guess and for us maybe it's a wash.
Speaker 3: Demitra, as I mentioned, you spend a very good part of your year focused on the business schools. I'm not going to give anything away because I don't know anything, but I know this time of year is when the rankings usually come out. Can you give us any preview of of sort of how you're thinking about things this year? Just very briefly.
Speaker 13: I mean, we've been talking to deans at several schools and you know, going out there and taking a look at what's happening. The rankings come out next week the way.
Speaker 3: September Mark seventeenth.
Speaker 13: They will publish at twelve oh one am. These are global rankings. You know, a lot of the themes we've been seeing in recent years are picking up and just taking on greater importance.
Speaker 11: The AI.
Speaker 13: The theme of AI in both how it's being used in the classroom, how it's affecting so many aspects of the education, and also in the jobs that the graduates are seeking. And then jobs is a big one. This year, it's been a challenging year for NBA grads. All right, Well, we know that has continued.
Speaker 3: We know we'll get you back on as soon as that list does. Come out to meet you. Casinede's Bloomberg New Senior Editor when Mount Dean of the Villanova School of Business. Here in the studio.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern down Applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business Ad. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: From business to politics, there seems to be a growing power shift of women in more prominent positions of power, and that includes women of color.
Speaker 3: Okay, so remember just a few weeks ago, this is back in July agient history when we're talking to presidential election here. But that was the day that President Joe Biden said he would no longer run for president. That day, some of America's most prominent black women across politics, business and entertainment joined thousands of their peers to galvanize support for Vice President Kamala Harris. They raised one point five million dollars in just three hours for her take on what this means for Harris and women of color. More broadly, Emily Graffeo and I spoke to doctor Kerry Mitchell Brown. She's a cultural architect and equity strategist at KMB.
Speaker 15: Often in our space as equity practitioners, we hear that you have to give up something in order for other people to have space. Inclusive leadership looks exactly like what happened there. Joe Biden made an assessment that what's required right now, well, he could not provide in his leadership. So he transferred his leadership to a very capable black woman who has been in the trenches and demonstrated that she has a lived experience to lead in this moment and beyond and that's what is required. And he did that very very well, and it came off as very powerful and very transformative. And others can take up that practice in moving when their leadership no longer meets the moment.
Speaker 16: What is the next phase of this power shift towards women? I guess, how do we keep this momentum going because now we do have a black woman kind of front and center stage. How do we kind of keep that continuing?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I mean it is a sign for businesses. It does really highlight that equity is necessary all of our institutions and all of our workforces. Katanji Jackson Brown, I mean she's at the pinnacle in her career as well. We see Justice Supreme Court Justice. Absolutely, we saw a lot of that happening when she was finally confirmed as well. It is very very important for these leaders to represent our democracy, to represent and reflect what our country looks like.
Speaker 3: You know, I want to go back to Vice President Kamala Harris because one thing that we've seen her do, or one thing we've seen her not do, is make her racial identity part of her pitch to the American people, which I think is really interesting. She has not made that a big part of her campaign.
Speaker 15: No, she has not made that a big part of our campaign. And it's not her only identity either. She's American, she's a woman, she is multi racial, and you know, she is to represent. When she accepted her nomination speech, she represents all people and she talked about doing that for her entire career. Of the people right, and most women who lead organizations, who lead corporations, who lead labor unions, who lead think tanks, they don't lead as I'm a black woman president, I'm a black woman leader. We have two women currently who are black that lead Fortune five hundred companies. They don't lead with I am a black woman CEO. No, I am the CEO of the company.
Speaker 3: That's a tiny number.
Speaker 15: It is so tiny, so tiny that is not representative of it is not representative of the US population at all. There is a lot of work that needs to be done there. But my example is still the same that they don't lead with. I am a black woman leader, I am a leader.
Speaker 16: What groups do you target in your work as a cultural architect an equity strategist. Do you kind of focus on people early in their careers and advancing them or is this more kind of targeting people in the mid and more senior levels.
Speaker 15: I really work with organizations who are committed to ensuring that they have the right environment for black women to thrive, for everyone to thrive, but particularly for black women to thrive. So if there is an organization who has an experience that they are not able to retain talented black women, well we have a conversation to see what's going wrong. Because it's not the black women who are leaving who are the challenge, what's happening in the environment, what's happening in the workplace, what's happening in the cultures, the policies or practices that create the conditions where black women do not want to stay.
Speaker 3: What are the challenges that these leaders are coming to you with when they hire you, when they bring you in to do this work. What are the problems they're trying to.
Speaker 15: Solve, the problems that they are trying to solve as they're trying to operationalize their commitment for racial equity, their commitments that they are making for diversity. We all know that companies with diverse teams are thirty five percent more productive in revenue, in impact in the bottom line overall than companies whose teams are not diverse.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I want to bring this up because in recent months, we've seen Low's, Harley Davidson, Tractor Supply, Dear Brown Foreman all come out and say they're pulling back from pledges to commit to diversity, equity and inclusion programs. There's a real pushback to DEI right now.
Speaker 15: There is a tremendous pushback to d E and I right now. And one would think where they committed in the first place. After George Floyd twenty twenty, there was a lot of commitments. No company wanted to be on the wrong side of I'm not going to commit to this. We saw a lot of companies pulling back with this Supreme Court rulings coming out of the Fearless Fund and the risk of litigation. We have witnessed some organizations softening their language around their commitments on their website, but continuing to move forward, you know, with their programming, changing the words and you know, changing the actions, you know, the two separate things. But yeah, I will question where they serious about it in the first place.
Speaker 3: Ten seconds permanent shift?
Speaker 6: Is this it?
Speaker 3: Or these companies circle back in the coming years.
Speaker 15: They need to circle back. It's at their own peril if they don't.
Speaker 3: Doctor Kerry Mitchell Brown, thanks so much for joining us. Thank you for protect and Equity Strategist joining us here in the Bloomberg's studio.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm. Easter Listen on Apple card Play and then brought auto with a Bloomberg Business act or wanted us live on YouTube?
Speaker 2: All right, let me throw out one metric. I guess I kind of got to do this. The global sportswear market size valued at nearly four hundred and thirteen billion dollars in twenty twenty two, estimated to reach nearly seven hundred forty nine billion by twenty thirty one. And listen, there's a lot of players in it and looking to take a share of it. Is a partnership. Our next two guests, both with brands that are very well known now with a combined brand known as Greatness Wins.
Speaker 3: So let's get to the interview with more joining us here in the studio. The founder of Vuntucket, who came up with the idea for his casual shirts while working at GE Healthcare. Chris Ricobono back with us, also with US, Hall of Fame shortstop and five time World Series champion with the New York Yankees. Also an e commerce investor to Derek Jeter, both here in the Bloomberg BusinessWeek studio. Okay, guys, first up, we want to know how you guys got together. How did this come together? Who called who, who had the idea for who to get involved? How did it come out?
Speaker 6: That's a good question. You start with super version comes out.
Speaker 17: I was going to say Derek reached out to me, but that's not how it worked. So I over the pandemic. I was looking to solve another problem in the fashion industry, and I thought about athletic apparel and it didn't exist for me. Something that had a great fit but also had performance first in mind. So I came up with this concept in this idea, but now I wanted a few athletes behind me. And at the time, I think Derek might have still had a contract with Nike or it was winding down, and I didn't think that I could get to him or.
Speaker 6: That he'd be interested.
Speaker 17: But after a year of bothering him and his agents, he actually called me and said, Chris, I'm just not that interested and excited in this. But I said, he can't get off say he can't get off the phone, Derek, how can I get you excited? So we talked for a while after that, and we kind of came together with both of our visions. You know, I'm apparel guy, that's the way I think about it. Derek's was a successful entrepreneur but also very successful, as you know, a Nike guy, So I knew that he had a lot of insight that I didn't have, and he shared it with me, and we launched a brand about he and a half ago and we're having great success.
Speaker 2: Okay, you weren't excited and then you became excited. How that happened? How did you make that turn?
Speaker 6: Well? I think you know, first and foremost getting to know Chris, we talked about the idea. I've had relationships with athletic brands throughout my career and great relationships and I still do today. And you know, when I was first speaking to Chris, I was like, well, first of all, you know, this is a crowded space. It's not as easy to attack this space, and it's going to take some time and it's going to take a lot of energy. And I wouldn't say I wasn't excited, but I when I do something, I'm all in and if I'm not all in, I'm just not going to do it. And at that point when we were having the discussion, I said, you know, I don't think now is the time. And then we actually got together, we had a chance to look and feel and touch the product, and that started getting me very very excited about it. So I guess that's the best way to put it. In our short period of time.
Speaker 3: You do, though, Derek, probably get a lot of investment pitches, not just in the apparel world, but yeah, no question, from lots of different entrepreneurs who want your involvement. What was it specifically about this one with Chris with Untucket that really caught your eye.
Speaker 6: I think it's you got to get to know the people any business that you're in the same thing, when you're on a team on the field, you have to have the right people on the side.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was going to say that, but you didn't give me enough time say that. And you know, I just found Chris to be very very passionate about it. You can't fake passion. You either are you aren't. And you know, even when I told him that I wasn't interested, he kept calling and we kept having the conversation, and I knew when you're if you're going to be successful, you need those types of people on your side.
Speaker 2: I always think about that. I remember talking to a top m and a banker and he's like, the only way you get deals done is this. CEOs have to like each other, and that's how you get things come to the table. Would you say no to a great deal because you didn't like somebody.
Speaker 6: Oh, without a doubt.
Speaker 17: I mean you end up working a lot. It's funny when Derek said that he wanted to be more involved than he when he goes all in. I was thinking he was just doing that as an equity played to get some more equity. Yeah, that he actually wanted to be and Derek's liked. I mean, he wants to talk about everything every decision.
Speaker 2: And you want somebody who's I want.
Speaker 17: Someone that yes, because I don't know everything and I definitely don't know everything in the athletic apparel space. So it's been a this is.
Speaker 6: Recorded, right, I'm gonna play that. We're gonna play that back. You can do that, you can you can loop it, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, the same thing for you, I mean, Derek, when you get involved in something, how you know, we asked about what made this interesting, but in general, how involved do you want to be? I mean how much do you have to love the brand that you hook up with?
Speaker 6: You have to be involved. I mean otherwise you're just given your money and you're hoping someone else runs with it and makes you more. But when you're passionate about something, when you put in the time, you put in the effort. I think the best thing to say about us is we disagree probably more than we agree, and I think that's a good thing. I mean, you don't want people that always think the same as you, Otherwise you're never going to make improvements. You're never going to make progress.
Speaker 2: Is it hard to say no to?
Speaker 11: Derek?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: We just talked with the leadership We are author of a leadership book, and they talked about CEOs who once they get to the top, they around themselves with people who say who don't say no.
Speaker 17: Listen, I rolled the dice right from the beginning, and we went after each other a little bit. But like you said it, it's the best way to go about it. Like you want to leave at the end of the day and have people go against your views, because if they're agreeing with you, you're not going to always do the right thing. So I thought that was a great I wondered if he was one to because sorry, if he was going to want to continue a relationship a few times, but it really came together and now now we're on the same page and things are going really well for us.
Speaker 2: Well I do wonder when does it get a little tricky, Like any partnership, whether it's a marriage, whether it's working relationships, whether it's business relationships, there's always tough times.
Speaker 3: What are some of those looking at me?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I was about to say, just keep going. You want to you answer that question?
Speaker 2: No, But I really do feel like a little bit of debate or a little bit of arguing, like gets you to a better place.
Speaker 6: I think it does. You have to have a difference of opinion, like I said, I do like you tim Otherwise, like I said, you're not going to make any any progress moving forward. And we probably we disagree more than we agree, but we do it respectfully. And you know, there are some things that I know he's an expert. It's impossible to be an expert everything, right. It surrounds your people that are much more intelligent in different fields. And you know, Chris obviously has a lot of experience in the retail space, especially I have experience when it comes to athletic brands. So it's okay for us to disagree.
Speaker 3: So Chris, let's go there because this is a really crowded space. You mentioned Nike, but I mean, if you think about upstarts like Viory Rhone. Then there are the big players like Nike, Adidas and the like. How do you carve out a place for you specifically?
Speaker 17: So it's funny, just like with on Tucket, I really needed this product. Then you might ask why. You know there's plenty of athletic brands and athlesier brands. For me, the athletic brands that existed, the quality wasn't there, the consistency of fit wasn't there. They were designed for performance, but they didn't have that modern fit. The athleisure brands have an incredible fit, very high quality fabrics, but not designed with performance first in mind. So I wanted a really high end athletic brand that had a great fit but also was meant to work out and would withstand being washed, not pilling. Something that all athletes, not just professional athletes, could use all the time, and it's not inexpensive, so you want it to last for a long time. And I think that that's where we are differentiate from these other brands. We're not athleisure, We're not athletic. We're kind of a blend of both, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I've got yoga pants on that are pilling a little bit, so I totally get you. What's the kind of what's the growth trajectory? Tell me what we can tell we're Bloomberg. We love numbers, you know that. What's the growth on this?
Speaker 6: Well, we need you to go buy some pants. We just said, so get right on it to help it's out. But I think for us, I'll let Chris follow up on it. I think what we want to show as a brand, this is only our second year. We want to show progress. You know sometimes when you when when you're building a company, a startup company, you want success right away to understand you're you're a startup company for I think they say ten years. I mean it's a long long time. So we want to show some steady progression. I'll let Chris get in the numbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, so will it be ten years before you really feel like it's there?
Speaker 6: No how much you buy?
Speaker 17: No, I mean there is so much competition. You want to just stay relevant. You want to make a great product. That's the first thing. You got to make a great product, you need your repeats to be there, which they are for us. The other thing that's really exciting with us is not just you have the e comm then eventually stores, which is what I did with on Tucket. We have a great wholesale business we're building at Greatness Wins. We have a golf business. We'll be in eighty clubs. We were in eighty clubs this spring. We have a bookstore business. Derek just wore a Michigan sweatshirt on his honore captain in Michigan this weekend. We have a new dance relationship with Misty Copeland, who's our women.
Speaker 2: Foundary, women who do a little bit of shopping.
Speaker 17: So we have something that will be announcing soon. That's exciting. So I'm very happy with earlier are. People love the product, they love the quality, and we're just getting going, but very excited for the future.
Speaker 2: All Right, We're going to just shift a little bit because I am curious, Derek, are you looking for any other investments, you know, in sports beyond baseball or maybe an MLB team or anything.
Speaker 6: No, I've been down that path. No, I'm going to take a break from that. I spent a lot of time with my four kids who are seven and under. So it's a full time job, especially when you're talking about Major League Baseball ownership. So at this particular point, I think I have my hands full.
Speaker 3: So you know whether, yeah, well when you say take a break, are you ruling it out for the future or do you want to get back?
Speaker 6: And I learned a long time ago never say never yeah, because you never know. I as just said it three times in a row. But you don't know where the future is going to lead you. But at this particular point now.
Speaker 2: I do also wonder the two of you, like when you think about either ath leisure or athletic appareled you know, companies that you look at that you admire or leaders you admire. Let me ask you, Chris first, like, is there somebody that you look at and say that's who I kind of get some cues from.
Speaker 17: Or I mean we always talk about Nike and the Jordan brand. Those are the greatest, you know, probably the greatest brand maybe ever, so well, you know, you want to be them, but if you're half half of what they become, you're very successful. And I think the ath leisure brands are great too. I mean I won't name them because you know, but I think there's a lot of eight brands these days, so we're just trying to differentiate. Give a reason you know why you might need our product versus those products, and yeah, hopefully it works.
Speaker 2: Leader you look at your smiling.
Speaker 6: No, there's there's a lot, you know, it's one that comes to mind, he said, Jordan Brand. You know MJ's been like a big brother than me. And I think you know, I have young kids now, and you want them to choose their career path and find someone that they can look up to. You want them to see someone who's been successful. And you know, you talk about Michael on what he was able to accomplish on the basketball court, but I think you look at athletes post playing career. He's up there at the top what he's been able to accomplish from a business standpoint. So he's someone that I look to and go to for advice.
Speaker 2: All Right, you're going to go there, you go world serious, I know I have to do this. I have to do this, all right. So you're going to be in the booth.
Speaker 6: Right I am? Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who do you can you think about? Who might be there?
Speaker 6: It depends, you know, I'm not trying to skirt the question. I'm really not. But a lot of it is matchups. Okay, in a couple of weeks because you know, some teams I know during my careers to play Anaheim Angels all the time, we just couldn't beat them. And you know, finally we broke through and we were able to win in two thousand and nine. But it all comes down to matchups. So there's some good teams out there.
Speaker 2: Chris, you talk baseball, and I'm curious what you might think for the World Series.
Speaker 6: This knows nothing about base are no do you know baseball?
Speaker 17: I mean I don't did a deal with I don't bother Derek with it, but I'm a Yankees fan. We'll see it's they don't seem to be able to perform in the playoffs for the last what is it fifteen years now.
Speaker 18: We'll discuss it on podcast quay listen, guys, got about forty seconds left here real quickly in I don't know, a year from now, what's the conversation around your company.
Speaker 17: I think we'll start to look at stores. I mean I love stores. Not many people do in retail. We have niney of them on Tucket and we're opening more. I think it's really important for the male shoppers. So I think we'll look at that and we'll look at continued growth in these different areas that we discuss, bookstores, golf, e commerce. So it's very exciting.
Speaker 2: Same thing for you, Derek, in terms of greatness, wins and a year from now, what are we gonna be talking about.
Speaker 6: Oh, I think it's all awareness. You want people to be aware. You want to walk around the streets and see people wearing it. And I'm very confident in the fact that someone buys our product and they wear it, they'll be happy with it and they return.
Speaker 3: As a customer and no pilling.
Speaker 6: You promise, Well, you got to tell me I got.
Speaker 2: Derek j Derek Jeter, of course, Chris Ricobono, you guys got me FLLL mixed.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple, car Play and and brout Auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or wants us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Well, our next guest has thirty years of experience at McKinsey and Company, focusing on projects related to organizational change in companies that range from high tech to banking, healthcare, industrial and more. He's a senior partner McKenzie and senior partner at McKinsey Company, Codean of the CEO leadership program the Bower Forum. He's also got a brand new book out. It's called The Journey of Leadership, How CEOs Learned to Lead from the Inside Out, Rameshering of Austin, Welcome to Bloomberg BusinessWeek. How are you.
Speaker 11: I'm good, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: It's good to have you with us. My first question is very basic. There's four co authors on this book. How do you write a book with three other people?
Speaker 11: It's actually a fantastic experience.
Speaker 4: I've learned a lot from my co authors, Dana, Ham, Swanna and Kirk and you know, obviously some of us took the lead on different chapters, but bringing the different perspectives together was a fantastic learning experience for us.
Speaker 2: All right, So which chapters did you write?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 4: I wrote the chapter on humility, that's one of our first chapters. I wrote the chapter on vulnerability. I wrote the chapter on control as an illusion. Happy to talk about that. But I'm also as Codean of the Bower Forum, I've been in the journey of many many CEOs have gone through the program, more than five hundred CEOs have gone through it, so I have a good view of all the chapters.
Speaker 2: How many leaders come to you, guys, and they're not great leaders to begin but.
Speaker 3: By the time you've become a leader in that sense and you're like a leader enough to hire McKinsey. Right, you've obviously done somethings right.
Speaker 4: You have done somethings right, and I think you've got a good achievement orientation. You've accomplished something, but yet you want to learn. So people come to the Bower Forum. People come to our leadership programs because they at least have that initial sense of wanting to learn.
Speaker 11: So there is some self selection in that process.
Speaker 3: Okay, So talk a little bit about just the experience of sort of understanding what makes a leader successful. Oftentimes we talk to CEOs of companies, especially honestly, especially this time of year because it's like book season. Yeah, the CEOs, they spend three decades at a company. Oftentimes, you know, the folks who are writing books about leadership are the ones who are are retired from leading these companies, not necessarily day to day working with other CEOs. So talk a little bit about bringing that perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we have stories of both CEOs of retired and we have stories of CEOs are still active. And I think what we found is, and this is the concept of inside out leadership that we've described in the book. Successful leaders, especially in a world that is changing so fast with complex geopolitics and technology disruptions, they think a lot about who they are, what is their purpose, and use that to inspire their teams, inspire organizations. So our big learning was that the model of the imperial CEO no longer exists and use that to consciously inspire their teams and their institutions they're leading.
Speaker 2: What about inspiring just by paying really good wages and giving benefits and making you know, I just think about for workers. You know, it's interesting coming off the debate, right, it's like the economy, the economy, the economy, and even though wages have gone up, there are workers out there who don't feel like they are participating, especially when it comes to publicly held companies, in the fortunes of those companies. So what about something as simple as that. I understand they're like kind of raw raw, you know, inspiring your team, But it's hard I think for some folks who say, okay, great, I've got to inspiring leader, but I'm having trouble because my wages haven't gone up as much.
Speaker 11: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 4: I think these leaders think about stakeholders and have to think about all stakeholders, their employees, their team, society, more broadly, their customers. I'll give you an example of Frank Desuza, who was, you know, one of the co founders of Cognizant, you know, Indian It and BPO company.
Speaker 11: Taught a lot.
Speaker 4: About even if a frontline software programmer reached out to him, he would always, you know, connect with them, respond to them. And so in many of these sectors, especially the knowledge of me thinking about all employees is quite critical.
Speaker 11: So completely agree with you. Even in the manufacturing I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I think the successful company thinking about creating value, you know, not just for shareholders, but for employees as well. I see this even in private equity companies are thinking much more about broader participation in creating value.
Speaker 3: How do they justify that from a cost perspective?
Speaker 4: I think all our research at McKinsey shows that deeper engagement, investing in employees, taking care of them, benefits well being. That absolutely leads that deeper engagement leads to better productivity, better performance.
Speaker 11: Better financial returns. There's a lot of research that confirms that you do.
Speaker 2: Talk to CEOs, and you mentioned the head of Cognizance, but I'm just curious talk to us about some of the CEOs that you did talk to for the book and what you wanted to get from them and include.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Frank is actually in the book, but beyond Frank, you know couple of other CEOs.
Speaker 11: Tepan Bansal of Moderna.
Speaker 4: You know, when he wanted to you know, he had the aspiration of developing the vaccine. They had never manufactured a vaccine before, so he told his head of manufacturing, tell.
Speaker 11: Me what support you need to make a billion?
Speaker 4: Those are the vaccines and and you know, the head of manufacturing almost fell off the chair.
Speaker 11: But they also realized that, you know, Stefan normally sped an aggressive ambition.
Speaker 4: But was there to support them, roll off his sleeves, taught problem with them. Another is Wendy Copp of Teach for America and then Teach for All.
Speaker 11: You know, when she took Teach for.
Speaker 4: Americas so now in sixty countries, she realized the value of the importance of understanding the context, understanding the entrepreneurs, social entrepreneurs in these geographies, and has come up with this model of collaborative leadership where the fundamental idea.
Speaker 11: Of education equity is the same, but she's had to tailor.
Speaker 4: The model and inspire these is to have the kind of impact in these sixty countries that she never thought was possible fifteen twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: A lot of your own work has focused on organizational change. As I mentioned in the introduction, this is just another way to describe how companies organize themselves from a human capital perspective. And I'm wondering over your three decade career at McKinsey, what the biggest shift in how organizations have realized how they can be more efficient. What has that shift been.
Speaker 4: I think the biggest shift is the notion of purpose. So we often talk about people purpose performance. I think these institutions have realized that they need to figure out what is their purpose and how do they help the people in the organization reflect on what gives them meaning, whether it be their own development, their teams, their bosses, the communities around them, and how do they tie that purpose back to the individual that's when they can unleash the most from the people and deliver sustainable performance.
Speaker 11: Again, Moderna is a great example, and in the healthcare.
Speaker 4: It's probably easier when you're doing work in life sciences or healthcare, but helping people see the value of what they're doing can then unleash their full less potential.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting. There's a chapter, chapter ten, everyone keeps things from the Boss, and it talks about its somebody becomes the CEO, they really no longer have peers who might you know, inform them, keep them, say to them, say no to them, or something.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of instances of that that I've seen play out over the last few years. So free, why is this nobody's saying no around this guy?
Speaker 2: You can tell right, or say that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea, boss.
Speaker 2: So you know, you get in this vacuum, and you know, I think there's a lot of either founder led companies or founder created companies that ultimately get into a problem where nobody wants to tell them, don't do anything, don't tweet that exactly.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 2: I just think about you know, here we go look at companies like Starbucks and Chipotle went their period, you know, like these companies so identified with their founders for a long time and went through some tough times. I don't know what do you tell the leaders to make sure they don't get in that predicament? How do they not get in that predicament?
Speaker 4: You're absolutely right. And by the way, this is issue not just in founder lt company. It's actually many companies and not just the CEO. Even as you get more senior people start holding back and don't share the truth with folks. So I think we had the story in that chapter about the media company CEO who surrounded himself with truth tellers, and these truth tellers were people at all levels. He selected people who were not afraid of speaking the truth, but also created an environment where he set that expectation with them so that they would come and tell him what was really happening, what customers were telling them, how they were feeling, how their peers were feeling. And he used that knowledge to set the strategy, inspire people, and direct his own team.
Speaker 3: Hey, how has the organizational structure of McKinsey changed in your career.
Speaker 4: I think McKinsey our mission and values that have stayed the same in these thirty years. Obviously, the scope of work we do, the geographies we are in, that has expanded quite a bit in response to what our clients are asking.
Speaker 11: And you know, we're we are innovating, we're.
Speaker 4: Experimenting, we've invested a lot in technology, and then we've embed a purpose into what we do that's become much more important for us now. So those are some of the shifts that I've seen in these thirty years.
Speaker 2: Hey, Ramesh, one thing I want to ask you, and I think it's safe to say, we've done a lot of reporting a lot of other folks about the consulting industry overall, McKinsey and others kind of going through a bit of a rethink, a redesign. McKinsey we talked about earlier this year, Blueberg reported out, you know, cutting jobs, they talked about a slowdown in demand for services, and more broadly, the consulting industry has really been going through kind of been under the microscope, if you will, and McKinsey in particular in terms of the influence of the firm, and you know, it's reputation, it's involvement, and I wonder a couple of things. One how is the consulting industry going, what kind of demand are you seeing for your services? And secondly, is it tough sometimes when McKinsey has been under the microscope to kind of give advice to other companies and how does that make it kind of interesting the conversations.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm been in the industry for thirty years, and I think the industry goes through its own cycles. But I see robust demand. You know, I talked about changing geopolitics, technology disruptions, climate change. All of these are changes happening in the world, and our clients are looking for new creative ways of of driving growth. Our vision is to help clients deliver sustainable, inclusive growth in the world. I think in that journey, we're seeing robust demand. We're also having to shift our own practices. Frankly, if anything, we're you know, when clients look at us and see some of the changes we're doing, see the way in which we're adjusting ourselves.
Speaker 11: You know, part of it is we're taking some of our own medicine.
Speaker 4: And I see demand continuing to be robust, and that's what keeps me going.
Speaker 2: All Right, one thing we wanted to do, we've done this with some other folks that have written leadership books is talk about some of the leaders that are out there. And I want to start with the two leaders that were up on stage in Pennsylvania last night, the debate stage, Kamala Harris, Donald Trump. How would you rank them as leaders? What advice would you give to them in terms of their leadership skills or lack thereof.
Speaker 4: You know, I am not a political commentator, I'm not an expert.
Speaker 11: I'll leave it to other experts.
Speaker 4: I think our belief, like I said, is this concept of inside out leader leadership where we see successful leaders in business, in social leadership, in all spheres thinking about their own purpose, who they are, and using.
Speaker 11: That to inspire teams, inspire the world.
Speaker 4: That's the model we see, we understand well, and that's what we're sharing with the world.
Speaker 2: Do you think that though these are two candidates, either of them, one of them, both of them that inspire like the electorate and citizens.
Speaker 4: They obviously have, like citizens, different parts of the world that they inspire, right, so you know they resonate with different parts of the world and different parts of America as well.
Speaker 2: All right, So maybe easier, let's pick a leader that we talk about where do you want to go?
Speaker 11: Tim?
Speaker 3: I want to talk about Elon Musk. I mean he's someone we talk about each and every day. He's got several companies including SpaceX, Tesla of course the boring company he's got X formerly known as twin say Neuralink. Didn't say Neuralink yet there you go. That's one of the companies x AI as well a lot. When you look at Elon Musk, what do you see in terms of leadership?
Speaker 4: I mean I see a leader who comes up with ideas, innovating, bold, so many attributes that are interesting and useful to learn from.
Speaker 3: What about ways that you think he could be a better leader?
Speaker 4: Again, I have not studied Elon Musk, so again I'm not I don't think I'm an expert at at Elon Musk specifically.
Speaker 11: I'll go back to what we see leaders do.
Speaker 4: I think for us, our leadership model starts with leading staff. Who am I, you know, being more self aware, being aware of like what are my strengths, what are my areas?
Speaker 11: How can I improve? Like I said right at the beginning, that's why.
Speaker 4: People come to the Barer Forum and other leadership programs we do.
Speaker 11: And then using that to lead teams, inspire teams.
Speaker 4: You know, I already mentioned at least our belief is the model of the imperial CEO is no longer sustainable, and then using that to inspire institutions, inspire change in the world.
Speaker 11: That's the model of sustainable leadership we've seen, we've studied, and we share with leaders who come.
Speaker 3: To us, Ramesh, what are some takeaways that folks who don't necessarily lead organizations at the top, but maybe managers who have small teams or who are early on in their careers, what are some takeaways that they can get from the leaders at the top of their game, who you've written about, you've studied, you've worked with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, our book has actually meant for a wide spectrum of leaders. Leaders frankly, who are who are in schools today, Leaders who are early in their career, leaders who are more senior. My advice would be, you know, focused not just on academic success and achievement, but think about.
Speaker 11: Your own purpose. You know, what do you want to accomplish in the.
Speaker 4: World, What what service you want to provide to the community around you, and and bring that sense of purpose to the to the institution you're part of ask a lot of questions. You know, when I meet a lot of younger colleagues who are coming into McKenzie, I tell them.
Speaker 11: Exercise the obligation to dissent.
Speaker 4: That's one of our key principles within mckensey. Ask a lot of questions, understand how things work, get invite a lot of feedback and coaching, and use that to improve and grow.
Speaker 11: That's what I advise younger leaders.
Speaker 2: Interesting stuff, I mean, listen a lot of leaders right like looking for advice and trying to figure out in an environment where things can change a lot a lot thrown at you. And if you're publicly held, you can be out if the stock price isn't doing well.
Speaker 3: Or maybe they keep paying you even if the stock is coming down. We've seen situations like that before too.
Speaker 2: We have seen that, Ramesh. Thank you so much, Ramesh Shrinavasen As we said, Senior partner at McKenzie and Company. The book is called The Journey of Leadership, How CEOs Learn to Lead from the inside out. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Jermal