Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Yannie Randall, Corinn Corey, Max, Matt Brady, and Nate Mason. Nate, this is your first time on Trivia. Tell folks what you do here at Meat Eater.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm interning here for the summer, looking for full time employment, doing a little finance, little production work, just a little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: Nate's been showering me with compliments about Trivia, saying it was an honor to be invited. It's his dream to play trivia. None of that meant anything, though. Those were all empty words until he brought in some baked goods.
Speaker 2: Though today they are Yes.
Speaker 1: You think that's gonna help you in trivia?
Speaker 3: Potentially healthy and helc two.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I passed by bribing the smart kids with Panera bagels.
Speaker 1: Okay, you made those Panera?
Speaker 3: No I worked there, and you could take them home for free at the other night.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you don't make the bagels at Panera?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: You're saying we should be keeping an eye on you for workplace theft.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I was told mostly. Yeah, Well that's uh, that's a good way to turn this internship into a full time gig. Nad do you have in the big goods? I do not? Yeah, yeah, taking the treats away. Now, this is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing and for the start of the week. This week we're looking at a breakdown of question prevalence by category. Although I always say we have four main verticals, trivia ends up having more like eight, with the additional ones being woodsmanship, wildlife, gear, and natural history. Now, all of those eight categories, the most popular one is conservation. Nineteen percent of all the questions in Meat Eater Trivia History have been conservation based. That's followed by fishing at eighteen percent, hunting at seventeen percent, wildlife at fourteen percent, cooking at thirteen percent, gear at eight percent, woodsmanship at six percent, and natural history at five percent. So the four main verticals make up for sixty eight percent of trivia, with the other four categories making up thirty two percent of trivia. Now, Nate, if I were gonna throw you a bone, what would that bone be? Maybe? Like, which of those categories is your strong suit?
Speaker 3: Not fishing?
Speaker 1: Not fishing? Okay, well that's our second most common category, so fishing games it's not there. I'm gonna warn you there's a good deal of fishing that's unfortunate. Today's episode of trivia.
Speaker 5: I'm ready to set the hook.
Speaker 1: Good one. Max, always play the drop that was non Max.
Speaker 6: It'd be fun when Max hosts an episode, does he guest host? He could do like all Waterfowl. We can invite Matt and Grady again, Get ten Bones basically.
Speaker 1: Really clean up on.
Speaker 2: We'd like to be present for that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like.
Speaker 1: Now here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the Medeater dot com with the subject line I f a Q. Jake Emery wants to know. I absolutely love trivia, but my brother, who also hunts and fishes, hates it. He won't listen or play along, and when I ask him why, he doesn't have a good answer. He just says he hates it. Why do you think that is? Well, Jake, I'm gonna break it to you. I think your brother's dumb. Yeah yeah, I just think he's dumb. If he doesn't like this and he likes to hunt and fish, you probably already knew that about him. But he's he's just a JABRONI Uh, that's all there is to it. It can't be that he doesn't like me.
Speaker 6: He doesn't like to hunt and fish or doesn't like to play trivia.
Speaker 1: Jake's brother likes to hunt and fish, but he does not like trivia. In fact, his strong words are for it, that he hates it.
Speaker 4: Let's get on here.
Speaker 7: Perhaps he doesn't like to be challenged.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yeah, not a good guy, Max, Max said it. Good ud find a new brother. Okay. Ye. Perhaps he's just not a quick thinker, not a quick thinker.
Speaker 4: Maybe he just hates the sound of our voices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could can't be that. Now we have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about the Spanish word that means red that's commonly used in Mexican cuisine. The correct answer was rojo or roja, but a few listeners wrote in asking if colorado would also be an acceptable answer. Well, colorado and Spanish means colored red, and the word is often used as an adjective in Mexican cuisine. The taco bust down the street from US actually has Colorado anchiladas and Colorado burritos on their menu. So if you said Colorado for that question, that would absolutely be an acceptable answer. So you could say roja, rojo or Colorado. Now, the Shelby index for today's game is a five, so I'm putting us on perfect score alert and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, No point at me. I need to know what I stand to win. Actually, just tiding.
Speaker 3: Demon suckers.
Speaker 1: Joanni was saying there's pressure on him and Randall and this just random. Okay, I thought you were. You were motioning that it was the two of you.
Speaker 6: No, he squirmed when you said Shlby index was five. You like that?
Speaker 1: Randall Er, you don't like that? Would you have?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Okay? You like a five? Shall be index?
Speaker 4: I love it?
Speaker 1: Okay, here's question one. The topic is hunting, and this will be multiple choice. Which of these states did not have a black bear hunting season in twenty twenty three. Is it Missouri, Florida, Washington, or New Jersey.
Speaker 6: Oh, that's not the right one.
Speaker 1: Which of these states did not have a black bear hunting season in twenty twenty three? Your four choices? Missouri, Florida, Washington, New Jersey. Three of those states had a black bear season. One of them didn't Missouri, Florida, Washington, or New Jersey. Nobody looks very confident in the room. Just a lot of educated guesses. I think Randal a lot of pressure here on the perfect game to get question one right.
Speaker 4: Boy, that does make it tough.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean if you have ever posed us a trick question or a tricky question, I mean all of these states are recent or recent Lean Okay had had non controversy. Sure, I've been in the media about black bear hunting.
Speaker 1: Johanni thinks I'm trying to get you guys to trip up and not get that perfect game and double the conservation donation.
Speaker 6: Did Shelby get this one?
Speaker 1: I'm not going to tell you that a lot of folks, so a lot of folks have request then to know what Shelby gets right. I don't want to tell you that, because then I think it would inform your answer. You'd think, like, Okay, Shelby knew this, so you know it would be this certain kind of answer because she knew the answer. So I'm not going to tell you which ones. Honest, it's one of the most common requests that we get. But you're not going to find out which ones shall be. God, is everybody ready again? Four choices? Missouri, Florida, Washington, New Jersey. Which of those states did not have a black bear hunting season in twenty twenty three? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying New Jersey, Nate Says Washington, Corinne New Jersey, Randall Washington, Corey Washington, Max New Jersey, Jannis Washington met New Jersey. Nobody's gonna have a perfect game. The correct answer was Florida whoad zero percent. Answered a zero percent, which.
Speaker 6: Does not didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we're all starting back at zero does not?
Speaker 1: That didn't happen?
Speaker 2: Choice? Holy God.
Speaker 1: Washington harvested one thousand, seven hundred and ninety nine black bears in twenty twenty three, followed by New Jersey with four hundred ninety three and Missouri with twelve. There was a black bear hunting season in Florida from the nineteen thirties until nineteen ninety three. The state reopened bear hunting in the fall of twenty fifteen, but shut it down again after just two days. In those forty eight hours, hunters harvested two hundred and ninety five bears, with some regions going over triple their quota. Official said it was a good sign that the bear populations are growing in Florida and that the haunt could be on the table again in coming years.
Speaker 5: So I thought there was controversy in New Jersey and then like a couple of years ago, they just closed trap.
Speaker 1: It was the spring seasons that were like under its tack in Washington and maybe New Jersey as well. But those states' harvest. Washington guilt eighteen hundred bears last year, and yeah, New Jersey five hundred of them.
Speaker 2: Precious off alright.
Speaker 1: Question two, the topic is cooking. This crab is dually named after the cold climate where it lives and because it's meat turns from red to white when cooked. The topic is cooking. Randall, you have this one, right, boy, I hope, So Maxwell, do you have this one right? Maybe this crab is dually named after the cold climate where it lives, and because it's meat turns from red to white when cooked.
Speaker 6: The question says then that it has two names.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's dually named, meaning that it has too one name that serves two purposes. Here, this crab is dually named after the cold climate where it lives, and because it's meat turns from red to white when cooked. Is everybody ready? Yes?
Speaker 8: Going back to answers, you disgree, don't you?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 1: Did you change your answer?
Speaker 2: Yanni?
Speaker 6: I would changed it anyways.
Speaker 1: So you did change it? Okay? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and your answers. We have Brady saying dungeoness, Nate saying dungeness. Corinne says snow. Randall snow Corey snow Max snow Yanni had dungeness. He crossed it out and wrote down snow. Matt says snow. They got it. The correct answer is snow crab.
Speaker 4: I think wrote down snow.
Speaker 1: The name snow crab refers to two primary subspecies that reside in the North Atlantic and North Pacific Oceans. They live in deep cold water and have long legs with thin shells. Three pounds of Alaskan snow crab legs cost roughly one hundred and twenty dollars online, which is about the same price as dungeness crabs and half the price of King crabs. Has anybody had a snow crab in here?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't think I have lotsome.
Speaker 1: No, you have had a lot of snow crabs. Yeah, let me tell the dectris and you missed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man, we have been to Joe's crab Shack, No, I have not. They serve like, oh, you can eat snow crab?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 3: Actually road Thursday nights Thursday Night.
Speaker 1: I haven't been to Bar nine since we did kick Still the kind of place.
Speaker 2: Still you want to check buck first and then get into the snow crowd.
Speaker 1: Okay, all you can eat snow crab at Bar nine Not the kind of place I'd want to do All you can eat seafood, But I'm intrigued. Here's question three. The topic is woodsmanship. This is our listener question of the Week, which is won by Stephen Higgs for sending this great question. Stephen is going to get a board game signed by the crew If you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. What's the name of the North Star? Randall quick to answer.
Speaker 4: You know, I say that is the only bar I've danced on the bar at But then I remembered another bar?
Speaker 1: So was Bar nine the first or the second?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, import in detail?
Speaker 6: How many weeks ago was that?
Speaker 4: Oh? At least and fifty.
Speaker 1: Phil Do they have the best karaoke and Bozeman? This is like an ad for Bar nine? Now?
Speaker 10: Oh boy, I don't know, man, I've been I've been out of the karaoke scene pretty much since kicking Ball because I was like my excuse to get out with you know, two kids at home. I don't I don't really get out of karaoke anymore. Bar I that's the only reason I would go to Bar nine these days, though, is karaoke.
Speaker 1: Karaoke and all you can eat snow crab. Maybe they fall on the same night sometimes. What a tree?
Speaker 6: I think we got to put it on the schedule.
Speaker 1: Here's question three again. The topic gets wooden is woodsmanship? What's the name of the North Star? Yanni you have this one right.
Speaker 6: The word just popped into my head as I was carrying a Max his eyes and I'm going with.
Speaker 2: It, Max, Max, when you look over here?
Speaker 1: That did that help you? Corey? Now what were you dancing to? Randy?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: It was a whole it was a whole playlist.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you had you had a residency at the bar nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to remember. I believe one of the songs played was Uh. I don't remember the artist, but the song Bougatti where the choruses I woke up in a new book, Gotti. I woke up in a new book, Gotti.
Speaker 2: Come on, Yeah, this.
Speaker 4: Is a long time ago.
Speaker 1: It's not a very old song though, so uh, like you said, and fifty weeks again, what's the name for the north Star?
Speaker 4: I think the artist's name is ace Hood.
Speaker 1: Wow? Okay, well we can fact check that it's impressive. It's not impressive because he danced on the bar to it. It's obviously like a very meaningful song to him. It is ace Hood.
Speaker 11: You're right, when did that drop? Let's see here, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: That was twenty thirteen, so it's within the last decade that Randall in high school. Randall was on the bar. Does everyone have an answer for the name of the north PhD successfully sounds like go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying Magellan. He crossed out Garmin. Nate says Polaris. Corinne says you are space. She couldn't finish the answer. Randall says Polaris. Corey says guide Star. Max says bright. Yeah, says Polaris. Matt says Nordic. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Polaris. I think we had uh Nat, Yanni and Randall get that one right. Polaris is Latin for polestar. It's found at the tip of the little Dipper's handle. As the name implies, it sits less than one degree away from the north celestial pole. The star was first cataloged in one sixty nine AD by a Roman astronomer, but it had long been used before that for navigation. Some ancient tribes referred to Polaris as the star of the sea because it was essential for traveling by water. Question four. The topic is fishing, Sorry, Nate. This next great question is via Jimmy Horn, what nautical measurement is equal? To six feet.
Speaker 2: I think I got this one.
Speaker 1: Okay, what nautical measurement is equal to six feet? The topic is fishing. It's his question for Yanni. Nate Randall all appear confident.
Speaker 6: I think Nate's playing a pretty strong game for his first one.
Speaker 1: Nate told me the other day he got eight right in uh in the Gerony episode, which would have sent him to a tiebreaker.
Speaker 4: I think Nate's a strong competitor.
Speaker 3: And then I double tied with Hansei in overtime.
Speaker 1: I would have loved that. We still have yet to have a double tiebreaker. Phil said he has a special soundback there he's gonna play for when that happens, if we ever go to a second tiebreaker. It's never happened in one hundred and thirty something episodes of Meat Eater Trivia.
Speaker 6: Where is everybody's head go When you say Phil has a special noise, he's gonna play.
Speaker 1: God, I don't know. We're gonna find out, Phil. He talks about it all the time. He says, I can't wait till we do the second tiebreaker and I can unveil the sound.
Speaker 6: How do you find a special noise?
Speaker 1: Phil?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Phil, I wish I had to good. Answer that question, Joanna, Spencer's can talk out of his ass right.
Speaker 1: Now, still on the spot. So he has a special noise when that happens, you don't Maybe that special noise just comes out of his mouth. It's not even a drop that he ok to you.
Speaker 4: Just play the regular.
Speaker 6: Twice as loud.
Speaker 4: What does it say when you play it backwards?
Speaker 1: It's backmasking. It's uh yeah, I would reveal a lot of things about phil that we don't want to know again. Question for what nautical measurement is equal to six feet.
Speaker 9: Between two and last time I got my captain's license? You know forgot it?
Speaker 7: Is?
Speaker 1: Everybody ready?
Speaker 2: I think I'm in trouble.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying, what's that say? Brady tears that's not right, Nate says fathom, Karinn says League Randall fathom, Cory crossed out, Fathom wrote down, League Max says not Yannis Fathom met without an answer. The correct answer is fathom. About half of you got that one right. A fathom is a unit of measurement for depth. The measurement originated as the distance from the middle fingertip of one hand to the middle fingertip of the other hand of a large man holding his arms fully extended. The United States EPA allows anyone to perform a burial at sea, but requires you to be at least three miles off shore and in one hundred fathoms of water before doing so. Those are their words, one hundred fathoms of water. If you're going to do a burial at sea, question five, the topic is geared. This next great question is via pressed in dominie, sometimes referred to as the trailer hook. This is the extra hook that's added to an existing lure to improve hook sets. Sometimes referred to as a trailer hook. This is the extra hook that's added to an existing lure to improve hook sets. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: Not sure?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Max?
Speaker 1: You you appear to be confident, very confident. Why do you think you know this one? Max? Without without giving away too much, what would you add one of these hooks to? Do you want to say? I'm not gonna say I've already got you already gave Yanni the snow crab answer? This is question five. We're gonna scoreboard updates?
Speaker 6: Is not right?
Speaker 1: You fix? Okay? Sometimes referred to as a trailer. This is the extra hook that's added to an existing lure to improve hook sets. Max to you and Yanni. Are you in agreement on the answer?
Speaker 6: Change once we play this game? Change it?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's a new thing and we've started doing it mostly you do it with rand not yeah, and it's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Typically, though you don't wave your answer to.
Speaker 9: The entire.
Speaker 1: I trust you, guys, not to change Randall. Did you see his answer? Did do you agree with his answer?
Speaker 4: I don't want to say, because everybody knows answer is Randall.
Speaker 5: When Spencer asked me, I said no, Hopefully he was going to change his answer.
Speaker 4: I just don't know how Like she's.
Speaker 1: Well, we know he's a thief, so he might be.
Speaker 6: He said, allowed him to take the bangles.
Speaker 1: Dude, Yeah, I guess you're right. We allow him to take answers sometimes if the whiteboard happens to you know, seeing it just the right angle. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying the boot look caboose, caboose. Uh Nate says, Buddy, Karen says, anchor, Randall says stinger Corey says stinger, Max, stinger, Yanni, stinger, Matt, stinger upside down. They got it. The correct answer is stinger hook. Stinger hooks are used across every fishing pursuit, from saltwater fishermen to fly fishermen to ice fishermen. They are commonly attached to lures that have a big profile with small hooks, or when there's a light bite. A stinger hook can be attached to an existing hook or connected by line or swivel. Phil we have half or we are halfway through the game of trivia, give us a leaderboard update.
Speaker 2: Terrible sir.
Speaker 6: Apologies to Brady got zero points.
Speaker 2: Glad I said yes to this.
Speaker 6: Questions, that's what it looks like.
Speaker 10: Karinn has Ony, Max, Matt, and Nate all have two points apiece and then tied up in first place are Giannis and Randall with four.
Speaker 6: Here we go almost a perfect.
Speaker 1: Almost Cory, Yanni, what in the fly fishing world would you attach a stinger hook to?
Speaker 6: I think I've only attached them to streamers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, streamers swinging big streamers.
Speaker 5: Growing up, we did jig heads for walleyes.
Speaker 1: Walle anglers will go after him a lot. Question six the topic is hunting. Bow Hunting dot Com declared this brand of baked Goods to be one of the best tree stands snacks of all time. O Man, Yanni's jaw is on what uh good? We're throwing the bone and the baked goods category. I mean hunting. Bow Hunting dot Com declared this brand of baked Goods to be one of the best tree stands snacks of all time. Randall, you have this one brand? The brand looking for the brand declared this brand of baked Goods to be one of the best tree stand snacks of all time.
Speaker 4: If my answer is wrong, they're wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not one of the Yeah, you wrote down an answer for one of the best duck blind snacks stand Okay, and tree stand you.
Speaker 5: My favorite turkey snack is Incrustables.
Speaker 2: I did see you posting about them this season.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this Max that was on their list as well. Really well, like number two A PB and J was on I think it was number nine on their list of the best tree stand snacks should be Number one.
Speaker 6: Is everybody Ready brown Schwager with a thick layer of butter on.
Speaker 1: I'd really questioned some things about their authority on tree stand snacks. If they said that one, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying hostess. Nate says little Debbie. Krinn says, what's that? Say? Crin crossed out? Little Debbie Randall and Cory and Max and Yanni and Matt say little Debbie. They got it. The correct answer is little Debbie. Little Debbie makes gas station staples like Swiss rolls, chocolate cupcakes, zebra cakes, oatmeal cream pies, cosmic brownies, nutty buddies, fudge rounds, and honey buns. Other foods on bowhunting dot COM's list include Halloween candy, trail mix, jerky lunch abules, and apples.
Speaker 4: With all due respect to bowhunting dot Com, that's like saying the best breakfast food is Kellogg's, right, I mean correct.
Speaker 1: They didn't want to offend anybody with like their specific Little Debbie choice, because if they would say, you know, like oatmeal cream pie sucks and then be fighting words.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what's your favorite candy mars?
Speaker 1: What's your favorite? Little Debbie Randall.
Speaker 4: I like omeal cream pie s iced to eat a lot of them. Get them in the big box.
Speaker 1: What about in the duck blind Matt and Brady? What what little debbies make it there?
Speaker 2: Well, you can tell by my answer. I wrote hostess, which is.
Speaker 9: And I'm a hostess, crunchy donut guy with a little mountain dew about four in the morning.
Speaker 2: Little diel feel down the hatch and you're.
Speaker 1: A lot of ducks.
Speaker 7: I like Nutter butters. Yeah they're really good. But here's my problem. From a tree stand snack standpoint, is.
Speaker 4: There too loud? That rappers are way too loud and they.
Speaker 1: Can get crushed real easy. It's yeah, it's like a smash burger by the time.
Speaker 7: But if you go oatmeal cream pie, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It's just as good.
Speaker 1: In seven, the topic is cooking. This word translates to barbecue in Spanish and refers to meat that's been slowly cooked and shredded. This word translates to barbecue in Spanish and refers to meat that's been slowly cooked and shredded. You have this one, right, Max, Maybe Brady.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for my first point, so yeah, any any help? I think I got it.
Speaker 1: The flying V duck blinds, do those have like little grills in them?
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well gets cooked on those.
Speaker 9: Typically it's we're kind of a breakfast burrito crew, so I'd say like sausage and bacon, potatoes, eggs, cheese.
Speaker 1: Oh so you're making the burrito in the blind. Oh, it's not a pre made burrito.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. We have a bit of a rolling roster.
Speaker 9: So if I cook one day, then Matt's cooking the next kind of runs down the roster. And yeah, somebody in the blind just kind of you can still keep your gun by and shoot, but when the rest of the time you need to focus making the whole breathing the team, feed the team.
Speaker 1: This word translates to barbecue in Spanish and refers to meat that's been slowly cooked and shredded. This is question seven, Yanni, do you have an answer at all?
Speaker 6: I haven't answered, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Okay, separate him and what do you got.
Speaker 4: Max, Let's just not have any more funny business inside of the table.
Speaker 6: What does it say? This is never play a leap frog with a unicorn. I didn't write that. But speaking of unicorns, you know the museumand Rockies right now has a mythical creature. Uh, really cool. It like explains the genesis A lot of these things, you know, or possibly what could be the it's.
Speaker 1: Exactly what kind of like, well, that's exactly kind of stuff they should curate there. That's fun. Museums too stuffy if it doesn't have something weird like that, it is everybody ready, Corey, Max or what do you got?
Speaker 4: I don't remember?
Speaker 1: Yanni? Are you ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying barbaricae. That's too obvious, says Barbica. Corinne and Randall and Corey say barbaricoa. Max as the word that's gonna get me in trouble because I don't roll my rs enough. That's bria.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yanni says barbarica. Met crossed out asado and wrote down barbaricoa.
Speaker 2: That's too obvious.
Speaker 1: Everybody except Maxico it's barbarica. Although most associate barbaricoa with Mexican cuisine, it was actually created in the Caribbean centuries ago. Barbarica can be made by roasting or brazing, and is typically served with tortillas for a great barbicoa recipe that can apply to venison, goose, or beef check out Dannielle Prouveit's article on the medeater dot com called barbicoa tacos with peaches. Question eight, topic is conservation?
Speaker 6: Really, I didn't I didn't know.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The shredding for me is what gave me. I was questioning. I was worried about.
Speaker 1: Carnitoes, barbica.
Speaker 2: Here's questions about getting the right answer.
Speaker 1: The topic is conservation. This military base is located inside of the Desert National Wildlife Refuge. Really, Yanni's jaws on the floor for the second time this game. Uh, and we have Maxwell quick to answer answer. You're sure he's gonna now peek at the boards of Corey and Yanni with all this extra time he's given himself. This military base is located inside the Desert National Wildlife Refuge. Max, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 6: You shouldn't even ask me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Karenne with a total freaking guess, She's declared, Nate, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I think what branch of the military were you in?
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 11: Army?
Speaker 1: Army thrown it. We've thrown two bones to him now with the baked goods and with this question about the military base. It's located inside of the Desert National Wildlife Refuge.
Speaker 3: I don't consider there's a bone, one because he didn't plan it. And two I'll explain later.
Speaker 1: Okay, Randall, has he had to come up with a name?
Speaker 5: I don't even know if mine's a military basically, be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I don't either's. That's where I'm at, Randall.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: I don't really like it?
Speaker 11: Okay, it does not I know, I know this, but I don't really like what.
Speaker 1: I have to Yanni, do you like what you have down? I think you and Randall are in front right now. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil after this.
Speaker 6: I'm happy with my answers.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready? Randall?
Speaker 6: I'm happy I have one.
Speaker 4: I'll go. I'll go with this.
Speaker 1: Okay, Matt, are you ready? Brady? Are you ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying, Doug Way, Nate Says, White Sands, Corinne White Sands, Randal Elsberg, Cory White Sands, Max Area fifty one, Yanni White Sands, Matt, you we have a correct answer in the room Area fifty one. It's area fifty one.
Speaker 6: Guy was my first answer.
Speaker 2: I erased yesh Area fifty one and twenty nine palms.
Speaker 5: You should give me like five points for God.
Speaker 1: The Desert National Wildlife Refuge is the biggest refuge in the Lower forty eight. It was created in nineteen thirty six to protect critical habitat for the desert big horned sheep and desert tortoise. Area fifty one moved into the refuge in nineteen fifty five, selecting the desolate site because the dry lake next to it was the perfect place to test aircrafts. The best view that a citizen can get of Area fifty one is from Tickaboo Peak, which sits about twenty five miles to the east of Area fifty one on Blm Land. From that mountain you can catch a glimpse of the Air Force hangars. However, thirty years ago, Tickaboo Peak was actually the third best place to see Area fifty one. From prior to that, you could hike to White Sides Ridge or Freedom Ridge, which are located fifteen miles from the base on federal land, but those places were close to the public in nineteen ninety five due to security concerns. Phil we have two questions left give us a leaderboard update, you can.
Speaker 2: Just skip me.
Speaker 10: Unfortunately we camp Brady, you got one point last place, Thank you. Coming up next to carenn with two nates, Corey, Max and Matt are.
Speaker 1: Weren't they tied up the last time we did this.
Speaker 6: Everyone's got in the same exact spot.
Speaker 10: They've all got four points and still tied up. A Randall and Giannis was six.
Speaker 1: Did area fifty one come to anyone else's mind last?
Speaker 2: I mean, I had I wrote it down the race.
Speaker 4: It crossed my mind. I didn't think it was. I was searching for the name of a realm my emotion.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if it was like an actual base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my emotion's going from the only person who didn't get the right answer to the only person getting the right answer.
Speaker 3: It was like night and day.
Speaker 4: That's probably a rare feat in this room.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I could run around the office right now.
Speaker 6: This is my rival, your other upcoming big day. You're feeling to.
Speaker 1: Think about that for a second. Max gets married in about ten days. Here's question nine. The topic is woodsmanship and this next great question is via Arnie Goff. According to the CDC, the three most common poisonous plants in America are poison ivy, poison Sumac, and poison blank. Nate and Corinne and Max all quick to answer. According to the CDC, the three most common poisonous plants in America are poison ivy, poison Sumac, and poison blank. Randall, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay? Oh Randall? Randall so quick to answer. I didn't even see him write down.
Speaker 4: I've been thinking about this statistical anomaly that Max's past two questions must have been. I challenge our scorekeeper, whose name is escaping, if he could scour the archive for any previous You don't need.
Speaker 1: To do that, Matthew. We'll trust that this is the only time it's ever happened. Max can ride that high, breathtaking for the rest of his life. According to the CDC, poisonous plants in America are poison ivy, poison Sumac, and poison blank. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying LG. Nate and Corinne and Randall and Cory and Max and Yanni and Matt saying oak. They got it. The correct answer is oak. Similar to poison ivy poison oak has three leaflets. There are two main types of poison oak in America, the poison the Pacific poison oak, which is found on the West coast, and the Atlantic poison oak, which is found in the South and the east. Pacific poison oak usually grows as a vine, while Atlantic poison oak typically grows as a shrub. Ron. To question ten, with Yanni and Randall tied up with seven correct answers, they're the only players left in the game this.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had anybody just get one entire game?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: I mean, we've had zero's, We've had one. It's not unheard of them. Okay, you're in good company with I think Corrinn. She just said that she's she's been there before.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm shooting for two though, so hang.
Speaker 1: On question ten, the topic is fishing. This Island Nation holds the IGFA world record for brown trout, Pacific bluefin, tuna, and striped marlin. Randal very quick to answer. He feels confident Yanni's gonna have to get this one right to force overtime. It seems This Island Nation holds the igf A world record for brown trout, Pacific bluefin tuna and striped marlin.
Speaker 5: Randall, do you want me to help him?
Speaker 2: I'm feeling confident.
Speaker 4: What do you think that I just tried to really juice you up on that last question.
Speaker 1: Corey was looking at his hand trying to picture the globe. It seems did you find the island nation on your hands? Just making sure it was in the Pacific Oa?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Wells a brown trout, a Pacific blue fin tuna and striped marlin. Oh wow, everyone's encouraging Yanni here Randall?
Speaker 4: What are we doing wins?
Speaker 6: Buddy?
Speaker 1: Randall? Last? After last week's episode, which was the Wives and Girlfriends? If if the wives and girlfriends wins count towards the husband's and the boyfriends? His wife?
Speaker 4: Not an unreasonable question?
Speaker 1: I thought Randal was the most invested out of everybody. When the women emerged from the room and word had spread that his wife, Sidney was the winner, there was a very earnest fist pump from Randall. He looked like Tiger Woods just winning the Masters, and he said, yes.
Speaker 4: Well, I had to listen all week to the Oh I'm not gonna do well. I hope I get one question right, I hope I get one question right, and so I felt I was right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's satisfying. Okay again Question ten. This island nation holds the IGFA world record for brown trout, Pacific bluefin tuna, and stripe marlin. Yanni, are you ready, Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying New Zealand. Nate says Australia. Corinne says New Zealand, Randal New Zealand, Corey New Zealand, Max New Zealand, Yanni New Zealand, Matt New Zealand. They got it. The correct answer is New Zealand. New Zealand holds fifty five IGFA world records, including smooth hammerhead shark, thresher shark, eagle ray, yellow moray eel, and short tail stingray. Fly. Fisherman magazine declared New Zealand the second best place for trout fishing in the world, saying the country has giant trout who live in a beautiful place and aren't picky about what flies they'll eat. We have Randall and Yanni tied up at eight points, meaning we're going to overtime play.
Speaker 6: The drop Phil was the best place to fly tie breakup.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 10: How they just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I never liked a film.
Speaker 1: The tie breaking topic is fishing, and this question came to me via James Costan. What is the assumed average way per person that the coastguard uses when determining a boat's passenger capacity? So what this question is implying if you had a boat that said it's rated for six people, what is the weight that they are using to calculate that that they think each person weighs. Here's the question, what is the assumed average weight per person that the coastguard uses when determining a boat's passenger capacity. We're down to Yanni and Randall, but everyone else in the room is going to write down an answer, because if somebody gets it right on the nose, meat Eater will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. Randal very quick to answer. It's almost as though you know it well.
Speaker 4: I am a captain.
Speaker 1: And a doctor. Doctor.
Speaker 4: I think I know it. I think I know it. I've always remembered it as like a percentage of a Randal, so I try to just are you really a cat? I haven't expired captain's license?
Speaker 1: Thanks captain?
Speaker 6: Where are you living when you got that?
Speaker 4: Alaska?
Speaker 1: Yanni? How do you feel about your answer? You don't have the captain credential as it appears.
Speaker 6: No, I'm taking an educated guess.
Speaker 1: Here, okay, educated guess. Nate also quick to answer, Nate, do you know this one?
Speaker 2: No clue?
Speaker 1: Okay, no clue?
Speaker 5: Maybe change it.
Speaker 1: After Maxwell changes his answer, we will reveal our whiteboards again. The question is what is the assumed average weight per person that the coast guard uses when determining a boat's passenger capacity. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Brady saying one hundred and eighty pounds. Nate says one hundred and sixty five pounds, Corinne says one hundred and fifty pounds, Corey says one hundred and sixty five pounds. Max says one hundred and fifty five pounds, Matt says one hundred and eighty five pounds. And our two players left. We have Yanni saying two hundred pounds and Randall saying one hundred and sixty pounds. One of you got it right on the nose. The correct answer it's going to be two hundred pounds is one hundred eighty five pounds, making Yanni our winner. He has fifteen pounds off and Matt getting it right on the nose with one hundred and eighty five pounds.
Speaker 2: Nice work, boys.
Speaker 1: So Yanni fifteen pounds off, Randall twenty five pounds off and Matt right on the nose. From nineteen sixty to twenty eleven that number was one hundred and sixty pounds, but the Coastguard i'd making a change to one hundred eighty five pounds in two thousand and six and made it official five years later. So it used to be one sixty, which I think a few of you said, including Randall who has the expired captain's.
Speaker 6: License that aspired.
Speaker 1: But in two thousand poetic.
Speaker 4: There's something poetic about.
Speaker 1: Till one hundred and eighty five pounds.
Speaker 2: In certain areas of the country, a certain attire, they.
Speaker 6: Had the air on the side of caution, because I mean, what you know is it if you have six of you know me Randall and not Grady, then the one sixty five or the one eighty five you're way under is the both gonna hold us?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I also think this number might be stuck in my head from being in a canoe. And you see the US Coast Guard radio on the little plateon pre twenty eleven. I probably spent all my childhood staring at that thing. Well, I better not get any bigger one hundred.
Speaker 1: Eighty five pounds.
Speaker 5: I sent a picture to my coast Guard buddy and he said one to eighty.
Speaker 6: Oh, so he even got that rong.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, yeah, he's afric Coast Guard right there. Yanni is our winner. He gets to choose where the six hundred dollars donation from me eater goes. Yanni, what's it gonna be?
Speaker 6: Uh? Colaradden's for responsible wildlife management. Still, I know everybody's sick of hearing about it, but I believe it's still very important topic. The latest over there is that the signature gatherers that needed to collect I forget one hundred and twenty six thousand verified signatures, they turned in like one hundred and ninety thousand, So there's a good chance. It sounds like if those get verified that it's gonna make it to the ballot and the real big push is gonna come now, and I know that, you know, we all hear a lot about it because it's on everybody's feed all the time right now. But I feel like, again, those of you live in Colorado, especially on the Front Range, you need to do outreach to the non hunters and do it in a nice way and educate them about sound wildlife management. And that's gonna be where we're gonna lose or win this. It's not gonna be all because all the hunters vote for against it.
Speaker 1: You know, Yanni and Meat Eater helping the cause sending six hundred dollars their way. I know we got a big announce next week. If you're not a Jabroni like our Ifaq Emailer's brother, you'll be interested in this. So something I'm very excited to tell you about in the next episode and join us next week for more Meat Eat or Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 4: Spencer, Nice work, Johnny, nice.
Speaker 6: Work, nice randol.
Speaker 1: Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host using those smooth, mellow tones.
Speaker 5: He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks.
Speaker 4: It is an avid amateur lock