Speaker 1: Contented. Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: The World's a ridge and podcast Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: You gotta lead Spain, finish it off, because man, these guys, it's just like great, You've gotta put them down and then you got to put them down again. The clockhead zero, well, sorry until the clockheads somewhere in the late nineties, right your truck.
Speaker 4: I know, I don't know if you've made that announcement.
Speaker 2: You got a truck, well, chuck guy, okay for f one fifty so nice.
Speaker 3: Wow, technically my wife's car, so I'm trying to decide that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she likes a big rock.
Speaker 3: Well, why are they trying to put more people.
Speaker 1: Into the DMV? You've heard all heard that ad on.
Speaker 4: To be like I can't stamp it. I like, I got it.
Speaker 1: You know the woman who sings?
Speaker 2: Really, when I watched The Red six, I yell at yah. My wife says, you know they can't hear you. I'm like, no, they can't their pipes because it was pitching.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know if i'd have fall pitch.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen him?
Speaker 2: It's like all slurve and really yeah, like was he junk fifty miles an hour? So would you rather someone captures a video of you picking your nose and eating it? Or all of your arguments with your partner are transcribed and sent to their parents?
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh I do the second one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, because I'm always right. This is Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 5: Presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome the Patriots Unfiltered. It is Tuesday here at you Let's Stadium, and we're getting back to normal and we're also getting ready for training camp. This is this week. Guys are showing up. We saw some rookies showing up today. Uh so this is it. Yes, and it's Evan, it's Paul, it's me, it's Mike, it's Matt in the booth and we're talking Patriots again.
Speaker 1: The boys are back.
Speaker 2: See you guys on your holidays, So they say in Europe you were on holiday.
Speaker 1: Evident and I held it down before we left. Don't you worry? That was in good shape. I heard about that. Ratings reflected it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, your shows were, how you guys doing?
Speaker 1: What did you do during your go ahead. I had a staycation. I didn't you know. I did a couple of things around here. Uh, went on the Spirit of Boston. That was fun. Some of the tool ships okay, but that was that was a fun night. And went down to Plymouth. A friend of mine as a beach house down there. Spent the day down and that was good time. But nothing.
Speaker 2: Did you see the baby?
Speaker 1: I didn't see anything.
Speaker 2: I didn't see any science call right, I got it.
Speaker 1: I didn't see the bait. You gotta see the baby?
Speaker 2: The baby?
Speaker 1: What is so great about the bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was about it. I did a couple of radio hits, as as you like to say, on the sad, sad holiday fill in host time.
Speaker 2: Nothing sadder than the holiday fill in host.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing more necessary for me though, the sad holiday filling.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, Evan, what about you?
Speaker 6: Spent a week on the vineyard, which was really nice.
Speaker 1: Whereabouts on the vineyard.
Speaker 6: Our house we got an airbnb, not like a big house, but we were in Oak Bluffs this year.
Speaker 4: But we you know, we pop around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's your favorite?
Speaker 1: You know, I I haven't.
Speaker 2: Been to the vineyards since I was in high school, so I have no idea, what's going on there?
Speaker 7: What's your best restaurant that you.
Speaker 2: Go to home?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: So, Actually, we tried a new restaurant this year that that quickly arose up the list.
Speaker 4: I'll give them a shout out.
Speaker 6: Pawnee House and Oak Bluffs and they have great food there, great like kind of.
Speaker 4: Like Latin American flavor.
Speaker 6: I would say I had a rice and beans bowl that was fantastic, But I would say honey House is probably right at the top of our list now. It's one of our new favorites. We went twice. Actually, we liked it so much.
Speaker 7: Does a rice and bean bowls sound good to you?
Speaker 1: I need a little steak in there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it had.
Speaker 6: Had sausage actually okay, and it was really really good.
Speaker 1: And I don't prove. I don't know if that would surprise you, but I have a every once in a while. It wouldn't. It's got to have meat it I don't need. Yeah, I would definitely have to have either steak or chicken. Yeah, but yeah, I don't mind a rice bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There.
Speaker 6: We also had a place called the Covington. It was an Eggertown right on the main street and Eggertown and different another new place that we tried. But like if you want, like the o G places like Nancy's Lookout Tavern, those places are all really good too, and those will have more you know, Pol's Burgers and things like that, you know, but like that, the new places were good this year. I feel like the it's becoming a little bit more of a vacation destination versus like, oh I have a buddy who has a house there, you know, or something like that. And so the restaurants were seeing over the years like they're getting nicer and nicer, like dinner style restaurants that people go on on vacation.
Speaker 2: So it was pretty good, Coop, all right, Duce and I were here with Alex.
Speaker 1: So what was what was the theme of the week.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was a lot of World Cup and everything else, everything but football.
Speaker 1: So it was funny. Like I ended up golfing. That was the last thing I did on my vacation. I golfed on Sunday. So I watched all those matches and I did watch a I mean I don't know, probably more than a dozen, I would say, of those matches, and I didn't see one second of the final. No wow.
Speaker 7: I watched and I watched it.
Speaker 3: I watched most of the final, but yeah, it was I mean, I just it's one of those things we talked about. Was Spain dominated the whole time, and I was like, man, if this gets the penalty case, they've got a chance.
Speaker 7: Well this is what Argentina's been doing.
Speaker 2: But Spain is just a great defense, and so they couldn't get away with it.
Speaker 6: They they had a few, they had one goal allowed, one goal the entire tournament. Yeah, not just in one goal the entire tournament. Belgium scored against them, the only goal they allowed the entire tournament.
Speaker 1: Mike was telling me that Argentina didn't even have a shot on goal till late the nineties. Oh, I thought they didn't even have one at home. I don't even know if that was now, it was late.
Speaker 2: But anyway, the World Cup has gone. It was a good World Cup. I'll give fee for their props. But we're on to football here, just so you know. We're on our regular schedule this week, twelve to two, Tuesday and Thursday, Catch twenty two on Wednesday twelve to two, but we'll also be live on Saturday for the practice, So starting at about nine to forty five. On Saturday, we'll be live through practice until they tell us we have to turn our cameras off. So looking forward to that on Saturday to kick off practice, and then we'll be back on the thirtieth for the first day of pads Thursday, I believe thuresday, so well again, we'll be live on that Thursday, and then joint practices down the road. But much more to come there. But so Tuesday Thursday this week and Saturday bonus, and we.
Speaker 1: Will maintain our Tuesday Thursday schedule during camp. Most of those games, most of those shows will be from one to three. We will have a slight time change this week, as Fred said, is normal. Next week when there's a day of practice that we have a show, that show will be pushed back an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because practices are in the morning. Give these guys time to watch practice, do the post practice stuff, and then you know, we'll go on at one o'clock and go right into what we saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and we'll have a quick camp cast videost alway good way, So you want a five minute breakdown of what we saw, we'll bang those out too. So now it's hard to believe it's back already. I mean, it's happens quick. Excited to see this new team Forest and Foxboro. Of course, came out on Friday.
Speaker 2: We came on a Friday. Got about eighty thousand people have watched it so far. Everyone loves it, of course, and I'm sure we'll pick up more. Another episode will be coming out before the season. Yeah, so we're we're doing it. And what we hope to do this season with Forge that's going to be different from last season is we'll have some sprinkled out throughout the season, so you're gonna get in season Forged as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was talking to Have though, I just my favorite part of all that is just anytime you get to hear Rabel talk to the team.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was my same observation.
Speaker 3: From when Bill did the NFL Film's Football Life and in the two thousand and nine season. Any chance I get to hear a coach talking to their team and how they're trying to motivate them, what they're highlighting is being important.
Speaker 1: That's that's my favorite part.
Speaker 3: And just you know, as Ev was saying, it's just you can see why Rabel commands a room the way he does and why guys want to play for him. I mean, it's just sc He seems to know the feel of the team. And it just comes back to me, how is this season going to be special? Last year which just so special? There were so many little things Drake Drake May May that thing happened, and you know, just all the good vibes that seemed to continue to build. Really felt like it kind of peaked for me around that Giants game. You know, when it was here, the atmosphere was electric. But how are they going to recapture some of that magic this year?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And how do you is it seems so organic to me last year, things like the Warriors and all that stuff that happened. It never felt forced like oh we need a team motto. You know, it's these things kind of just happened, right, So can they do it again? Can they find that kind of special vibe?
Speaker 1: Because I do think Digs like the organic stuff to me was the stuff that Digs sort of started at this time we always last year and kind yeah, I mean I think that you know, the way he sort of took ownership of that wide receiver room and then you know, as you got to you know, like in Buffalo. You could see it on the field, manifested on the field, the way he got the team ready to go, and I think that was really organic. I'm not as much of a sucker for the other stuff as you are, you know, like the the road thing, and you know, like to me, like, they played really well. But I think that's going to be difficult to duplicate because I think Diggs was a big part of that and he's you know, and he's not there. Now. I'm not questioning why Diggs isn't here. I mean, I think we kind of all have an idea of why that is. I think they upgraded, to be honest with you, in terms of talent. But it will be interesting to see how they replace that off the field.
Speaker 6: That's the biggest like non football thing, you know, Like how do they kind of go about creating that energy again that they had last year. And nothing'll happen, It's not going to be exactly like last year. But at the same time, that was such a big part of why they kind of overachieved, was because they had this sort of galvanizing feeling to them. It's one of the best locker rooms I've ever been in, Like just the vibe every day when we got to go in there, you know, can you recreate that?
Speaker 4: Or you know, are they just better?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: I think that that's part of it too, is that they might just be more talented this year than they were last year, and that might help it out as well.
Speaker 4: But how does Vrabel?
Speaker 6: What are the vrabelisms that he's able to come up with?
Speaker 2: One that I got one that struck me from at least that first episode of Forge is journey. So he stressed that each guy, you are all gonna have your own journey that you're in charge of. Uh So, I think that was kind of a theme that I had. But then if everybody has their own journey, the team also has a journey, So what will be this season's journey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I agree with Paul's bagger point though, is that it's all fueled by winning and success, and you know it's and that then its just it started the snowball, you know, And I think that's you know, not saying these are the little fun slogans are why you're winning games, But that's the byproduct of it, and then it all feeds into it and you get that vibe that you felt like in that Giants game where you're like, this team is just right and high right now, you know, and then they fought some injuries and things were tough. But you know, I just I that that to me is exciting. And I mean, and then just to go back to the football part of it, as Paul like, just the talent on the field, That's what I'm excited to see this week, aj Brown out there on the field, you know. And I mean, of course the first thing is, of course, where's Gonzales and where's gay backets?
Speaker 1: So those are the first two pieces that I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: And you know, you talked about who's going to emerge as a leader to kind of take the place of Diggs. I think Bayered looks like already he's vocal and will be part of that. I think Woodson also, you know, I think you might see him kind of emerge a little bit. He seems to have a confidence about him even as a second year player. That really's coming through for me anyway. On offense, not sure, not true. I mean, obviously Drake may but I.
Speaker 1: Think that's the answer because you know, now you know, year three with a great year under his belt, I think you already sort of took some ownership of that last year. You guys agree, you know, like that ownership of the offense. I think he'll be that much more comfortable in year two of the system, I think. Yeah, I think you should see more on that's on that part of the leadership part of.
Speaker 3: It from mey, Yeah, you know, just being the conductor of the offense and you know, getting the ball out to guys. And I mean it sounds stupid because I feel like we spent so much time in the early days talking about, you know, we need to push the ball down the field like this is you know, when they were bad, like they just they had nothing down the field, right, it was just a struggle.
Speaker 1: And now I'm almost looking at it.
Speaker 3: Like can Drake be patient and just take the little underneath easy safe, you know, And they dig it into some of his stats from last year over the last couple of days, like, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: An area I think he can improve, I think.
Speaker 3: And that's a way that you can really turn the screws on a defense where you know you're just gonna dink and dunk at times, you know, And that and that I think is a weird thing to say, like, I hope he can dink and dunk a little more, but I think there is a time to dink and dunk, and you know, maybe it feeds into one of the things Evan talked a lot about this offseason, which is just tempo and you know, trying to push the pace a little bit at certain times. And you know that's that to me, will just show him continuing to develop. And you know, we said last year, I remember Paul talking about the Sea't going in and saying, you know, I think they'll win. I don't know whatever you said like nine ten games like that, but fourteen I think you were, you know, measured as I was. But you said the wild card was Drake May. And if Drake May played well, then you know double digit wins are on the table. And you know, this year is it. We saw that he has all the potential. Can he do it? Tougher slate, a little more pressure, Teams have more film on him now they're going to look at what he did last year and say this is how we got to approach this guy this year. So there's gonna be some new things. You know that he's going to get thrown out him, He's got to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've talked about it before, and Drake has talked about it, but the fact that he's got a coordinator again that he had the year before, which has never happened in all of his career from college on up, I think that's got to really benefit him. That he's going to hear the same language, the same philosophy, the same schemes, and he's going to be able to build.
Speaker 7: On what he did last year.
Speaker 2: That's the key.
Speaker 7: It's up here.
Speaker 1: You said it.
Speaker 2: He's got the physical we've seen it. He can do it all, but we've got to see what he can do in those most critical moments of the game against the best competition. That's what kind of we're still waiting for.
Speaker 3: Can I put negative deuce hat on for just the one second, like.
Speaker 1: Is anybody afraid? Is anybody afraid he's gonna regret?
Speaker 3: I'm not saying I'm afraid, but I just think it's a worthwhile conversation to say, he played out of his mind last year and it was unexpected the level he played at.
Speaker 1: Is there a chance that he was punching above his weight?
Speaker 3: And he's gonna get into more games this year against tougher defenses, and it's not going to be quite as good as well.
Speaker 6: Statistical regression is different from like eye test regressions. Thank you, Like, he's not going to complete seventy two percent of his passes again, I think we can all say that pretty comfortably. Is he going to lead the league in every category?
Speaker 4: Again? Statistically? Probably not, but he might be better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and he will be better. The only way he's not better from the eye test is if this offensive line is a disaster, and there's no way it is. So he'll he'll be a better quarterback than he was last year. May not translate into pure numbers, but you're going to look at him and say he's he's getting better mentally.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You guys really do set me up for these things, don't you. Okay, I'm just back. I have to wait ahead, go ahead. There's no put like what Mike said, Like we can all agree that we think the world of Drake May and that we think he'll be better in the year two. But there's no Mike's scenario that he's trying to paint, you know, a little devil's advocate. Sure, that's not possible. It's it's not possible, so like it's not. Of course, it's not possible that he completed seventy two percent. We're fifty eight percent in the play. We're here to give our opinion based on my opinion is he will not aggress regress. Okay, but you said it wasn't possible.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, I said, unless the offensive line is.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's going to regress either. I think he's going to get better. I think the guy's incredibly talented, and like I said, I think all of us think the world of Evan. You have some good stuff with the numbers, though. I wanted to set you up for that because you know, I get a popsicle headache, but maybe some people might be interested in it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we well, Deuce and I did our written previews and then the three of us did our video previews of each position, and we released the quarterback one today and I just looked into some of the numbers of you know, what were some of the things you know that defenses did against Drake May that he wasn't so good against. And Seattle kind of did it in the Super Bowl, and that's the best defense in football, so when they did it and they did it well.
Speaker 4: It didn't look good.
Speaker 6: And the two big coverages that they called against him were Cover six, which quarter quarter half and we talk about that, and cover zero you all out pressure and those were the two kinds of things that they jostled between in the Super Bowl that gave Drake May a lot of trouble.
Speaker 4: And it's a blueprint league.
Speaker 6: Their teams are going to look at that Super Bowl tape and say, how can we replicate?
Speaker 4: What can we replicate?
Speaker 2: And that's the Let's talk about that cover zero for a second, right because during the Sea and now, granted it wasn't as good a defense as Seattle, but Drake did have success when he was blitzed like he was. He had really good numbers when he was blitzed. You have to look at that offensive line and how it was playing in that Super Bowl and you have to say part of it is, I don't think he had a lot of confidence in what was in front of him at that point in the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think though when you talk about cover zero, though, they're sending too many people, so you're not talking about I know, you're not talking about actually getting hat on a hat at that point. I know, so you know with Seattle what they were doing. You know, they were setting the guys off the edges, and in the Patriots system, you're you're locked to one side, you're sliding to the other, and then the back has somebody the back to dual reading. If both guys come, you're hot, like there's nobody left.
Speaker 2: And then then it's up to the quarterback.
Speaker 4: And the receivers.
Speaker 6: You know, the receivers need to know that they need to side toust, they need to turn around and look for the football. So you know that that's a big part of it too. Like you know, we can look at the all twenty two from the Super Bowl and say, Pop Douglas is wide open down the field, but he's thirty yards down the field and there's a guy in Drake May's face in two seconds right, Like, that's not open. So it was not blaming Pop, but just in general, for those guys supposed to turn around and look for the ball, that have been more advantageous than running down the field thirty yards in a straight line, you know that sort of thing. So all of those things to me are more chess match related, and Seattle executes it to a level than not a lot of teams can, like they might face that in the season against Miami or the Jets, and and those teams aren't gonna do it as well. But when you get to you know, we talk about getting against these really good teams that that's what's coming next, you know, is Seattle Week one, and you know, so on and so forth, that these teams are going to have good defenses and they're gonna be able to do those types of things. So those two coverages were the only two coverages that he had a negative EPA against. Cover six and Cover zero. Everything else he was near the top of the league, off the charts against.
Speaker 4: So that's what.
Speaker 6: Everybody's gonna call, you know, like that that they're gonna get into games against the Patriots and they're gonna call all these different things and see not only Drake May but Josh McDaniel's like all off season. I hope that those two guys were coming for with answers, you know, like, how are we gonna be this?
Speaker 2: So I'll just throw this out there, snap comes and all of a sudden it's Cover zero and those guys come from both sides. How how is it communicated to guys already in their route that they have to you know, cut that route and turn like how how is how.
Speaker 7: Do you do that?
Speaker 6: So it depends on the play call, right, Like, so some play calls have a hot route where one guy is hot and that guy you know you're gonna throw to that guy Specifically, other play calls, and usually with the Patriots, they have sight adjustments, so like when you see a guy blitz over you, you're going to change your route because you know that the quarterback is hot. So those are things that just come with everybody kind of being on the same page. And sometimes also you could you know, use the running back. Like the running back can either stay in the block, but if you see cover zero coming, you could also sneak the running back out and try to you know, hit him in the flat or something like that.
Speaker 1: So it's not really up to the quarterback.
Speaker 2: It's up to the receivers and who would be about to recognize, Oh, this just happened in front of me, so I know, I mean, this is what's going to happen behind me.
Speaker 7: I need to adjust.
Speaker 6: I'd say all the above, and I think that you know, not to always compare it. But the thing that Brady had was a James White, a Julian Edelman, you know, guys like that that had that cerebralness to them that those guys were often on top of those different types of things, and that's where this group needs to get. There's a lot of young players, there's a lot of players that are inexperience in the system. You know, they don't have ten years of data to go off of like those guys did at times. So you know that those are the little things that again I don't know if every team's going to be able to execute it to the level that Seattle did, but when you get into the season, they're going to look at it and say, this is what gave him trouble, you know, in the playoffs, in the super Bowl, things like that, and this is what we're going to try to.
Speaker 3: Replicated focus on pre snap and them giving him the tools that when these things are happening, that they can be all on the same page. And I think that for a second year quarterback in this system, that that's a progression that you should look for. You know, I think last year these things were probably coming and he didn't have all the answers yet. I think he had some of the answers, but you know, this year the expectations should be that he gets them out of bad plays. I mean, I saw Bert Brew had a report kind of saying the same thing we've been talking about of what the expectations are for Drake May and your two to really master this system.
Speaker 2: And you know you want to see more with his legs the same or less with his legs.
Speaker 3: Same, I mean about the same, other than the ball should have been out you had a guy quick, you shouldn't have to tuck and run.
Speaker 1: I like the way you said that. I would say roughly the same. But I you know, if he's passing up throwers that are there to run and it ends up being the same running, like I would be sort of disappointed in that. But the bigger thing to me is he's got to protect the ball better. Yeah, he led the league in fumbles. I think he had fifteen fumbles combined. Like, that's a lot of fumbles, and that's an area Like we're talking about stats, like his stats might regress, Like I could see him completing seventy two percent of his passes. Again, I just can't see him doing it the way he did it last year, along with the ridiculously high percentage of completions on downfield throws like that, to me, is very hard to replicate. But you can be more efficient, and you can protect the ball better and do things like that, even if the offensive line doesn't come together the way we think it will, Like I, this wasn't like to me, a regression isn't solely responsible at the offensive line, Like I have a feeling Fred and I if these bad things happen, Fred and I, you're gonna have semantic arguments on postgame shows like it's all because you know it's because of the offensive line, or like now he just made a bad play, because both of those things can be true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about design runs for him? You want to see more of those the red zone goal line?
Speaker 4: Yeah, red zone short yardage?
Speaker 3: I mean one play like kind of stuff. I mean, maybe being better on some of the QB sneaks. I don't think he was, you know, great, didn't have a great feel for those last year.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. That's another spot I think you could know.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's a good sign that we can look at the MVP runner up and point out a bunch of different things that we think he can improve to maybe offset some of the situational things that kind of felt their way last year, which felt like they got a lot of breaks last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope he keeps scrambling, keep running.
Speaker 1: Me too. I think that's a big part of his game.
Speaker 6: And I think that that's defensively you have to account for it somehow, whether your pass rush changes, whether you're spying him, you know, whatever the case may be. I think that that gives you a big advantage if the quarterback is a threat, and it's mostly I don't think that he's he's not a designed runner in my mind, like he's not Lamar Jackson, where like you're you know, read options and things like that are going to be a big part of it. He's a scrambler. He's like a pure scramb. I'm one with you, and I don't want to take that away from him.
Speaker 1: And if you guys remember, you know before everybody took some time off, they had that huge seth Wickersham piece you know from the Broncos. Did you read it? I think you were away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 1: It was way too long, and it was it was it was right up your ally because we're going to have these paragraph along plays that we're just going to throw them in there every time. We have no idea what any of it.
Speaker 4: Nobody works hard than Sean Payton, right.
Speaker 1: But anyway, one of the big takeaways is something that haven't just touched on about that being a huge part of Drake May's game, And obviously that was the number one thing in the scouting report was they wanted to make sure that they didn't let May hurt them with his legs. And there was I mean, in a game that only had one real scoring drive, the big play on thus scoring drive that gave him the go ahead field goal, that's the only scoring drive the Patriots had the whole game, and it was a twenty eight yard scramble. So like, you can succeed the whole day executing your game plan, let's not let Drake May hurt us with his legs. But one play he has this, as Evan likes to say, superpower, and I don't want to take that away from it. I think that's a huge game boot. Yeah yeah, and I it was over then I didn't care about that. But like they don't score, like they don't score well.
Speaker 4: Best won the game.
Speaker 1: But I mean my point is that let's put it. Let's let's say he got five yards instead of seven, they punt, the game was over. It didn't matter.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 1: But the twenty eight yard run. They don't get the field goal without that, right, and that's the only score. Remember the touchdown came on the fumble for Johnny. I almost said Jared stidhamy is going to call him one of my pet names, but I probably shouldn't say that on the air. The kid, yep, if that fumble gave them, you know with the scoring drivers like twelve yards or something like that. Like, so the only one drive they had the whole day, Yeah, was twenty eight yard scrambled for Drake May.
Speaker 4: And flicker the mac hollins. Yeah, that was the other big play on the on the drive.
Speaker 2: On the importance of the locker room, Travis at West Virginia says, locker room, schmocker room, It's irrelevant.
Speaker 7: I don't I disagree.
Speaker 6: I normally a'm on that side of the street. I'm the mad analytics guy that doesn't really account for those types of things. Being around that team last year changed my present.
Speaker 1: I would just say I bet that anybody that thinks that way would change their opinion if they were in the Patriots' locker room in twenty twenty four and then again in twenty twenty five and didn't see the difference, because I mean it was apparent with guys like what, I can't Why can't I not think of the big defensive line from Miami. No, who's the big defensive lineman that was here for the Patriots and they gave him the contract in Belgium on the best Godshaw, you listened to him in twenty twenty four, and then listen to like Digs and these guys last year, and you tell me there's not a difference between that Keon White from twenty twenty four, and then listen to the way they talked in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Lash Well, I will say, though, let's just say anything.
Speaker 1: Milton Williams and celebrity family feuture. Really I always saw that.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, in twenty twenty four, Patriots win that first game in Cincinnati, and then they win three or four more after that, does all of a sudden the locker room get better?
Speaker 1: Maybe I think it gets better. No, but maybe they're not bitching about the way they're being used if they're winning right Like that was a big part of that thing is there was openly questioning the coaching.
Speaker 3: It's not enough by itself to have a locker room. Everybody cares about it, and I think.
Speaker 2: Jalen Polk and conversely, if last year they lost like the first four games, yeah, started as this is.
Speaker 1: Why I like it, so you can have your cute little like things that you know, Mike gets excited about. Sorry Mike, I do okay. But you you go to Buffalo and you win that game the way you want it and the attitude you had going into that game, like we're not afraid of anybody will play you anytime anywhere and we'll in. You lose that game and you don't get the same response the next time.
Speaker 4: The locker room.
Speaker 6: After that game in Buffalo was for a regular season game.
Speaker 4: I had never seen anything like it. Like it was just it was levitating.
Speaker 1: And you have some opportunities to that to that end early in the season. Now Seattle and the opener. I'm not saying like if you don't win it, that's it o case, but you have that opportunity in Seattle to have a similar kind of win you go to, was it Jacksonville is one of those early season ones, you know, good solid playoff team on the road. There's another one. There's three one on the Steelers Bills, There's another Buffalo game. So you have you have three opportunities on the road to beat solid playoff teams from a year ago and again established that confidence, that swagger that you did right out of the shoot with that Buffalo win, because that was kind of you know, it was a it's a sluggish start to the season last year. It didn't just happen automatically. Yeah, you know, they lost the Raiders at home.
Speaker 6: I mean, fumble turned it over five times against Pittsburgh and lost the game they should have won. But I was thinking about that Buffalo game. That was one of the most fun games I've ever covered. I mean, it was a tree there. But I was thinking about Diggs and the number I can't get out of my head is that Drake may completed eighty three percent of his passes just Defawn Diggs last year, Like that is absurd for a guy that was targeted as much as to fan Diggs was. That was one of the best performances I've seen from like a Patriot receiver and probably since like Randy Moss honestly, maybe Julian Edelman in the Super Bowl, you know, and he won MVP, like he was just on a different level, like I you know, it was unbelievable, and it was right out of the shoot in warm ups that he just came out there and he literally almost like went to the like fifty yard line on the Bill's logo and was like dancing in the middle of the field like guess.
Speaker 4: Who's back, right, And I AJ.
Speaker 6: Brown's awesome and he's maybe even better in Stefan Diggs talent wise.
Speaker 4: I just the eighty three.
Speaker 6: Percent thing, especially, I can't get out of my head, like how just insanely efficient that number is? Yep, And you know, how do you go about replicating that right football wise?
Speaker 3: That Diggs was it Drake? I mean, I know it's both of them, but like Romeo.
Speaker 4: Dobbs is not going to catch eighty three percent of the passes.
Speaker 1: And that's why, like some of the analytics stuff bothers me because there's a couple of things, and I've seen this written in a few different places, how Drake may did that last year with absolutely nothing around nothing nothing zero. I would push back on that, and that would that would be exhibit A. Would Evan just explain, Yeah, okay, that's number one. Now, I do think he has more around him this year. I think you add Brown and Dobbs, that's greater than Diggs if you ask me, Well, we'll see how it unfolds. There's no guarantees in anything, but I do think he has more to work with this year than he did last year. We'll see. Yeah, okay, so I pushed back on that. The other thing is, I think people, because these analytics are so prevalent now and you don't watch the games, you just look at the spreadsheet at the end of the game. Diggs was like a fifty percent snap guy, right, little over fifty fifty five, And people look, well, Daves is coming off of torn ACL you had a limited as usage. But that doesn't tell the story of the eighty three percent efficiency rate he had, Right, was that number one in the league?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: How you sort it by targets or you know, minimums and stuff.
Speaker 1: It had to be for whiteouts, it had to be number one. Yeah, right, Like that's like invaluable, And I don't think that you can quantify the story that Evan told about the logo in Buffalo great, like your number one receiver just went out and said, yep, we're here, deal with it, and then went out and had that performance. And by the way, he had that kind of performance in a couple of other big spots later on. Now, I've been critical, critical down the end of his postseason, and I don't think he was quite as good in the postseason, and that's been his m O. He kind of runs out of gas a little bit. He's a little older now.
Speaker 2: Was it him running out of gas or teams just saying we're just not gonna let him beat us.
Speaker 1: Well, then you're out of gas if you're allowing the other team to do But I can't do that to Jamar Chase or Justin Jeffersons. Teams have no, they.
Speaker 7: Don't teams have you know, I think.
Speaker 1: I better not be able to do it to a J. Brown.
Speaker 2: I think in the NFL, if a team focuses on one guy, they can shut him down, whether it's an elite pass rusher or a wide receiver or running back. But the good teams make them pay for that, for that that focus.
Speaker 7: On that one.
Speaker 6: I think they're more equipped to do that this year, which is where my optimism comes in, is that it's not just Digs and then a bunch of guys. It's Brown, Dobbs and you know, Hunter Henry and whats.
Speaker 1: All of that do for the running game right right?
Speaker 6: Well, that that's a big hope I think, you know for us nerds is that you know, they saw one of the highest rates of single high safeties in the league last year during the regular season because nobody really respected their outside receivers.
Speaker 4: As much as Drake may made them.
Speaker 6: Eventually, they didn't during most of the portion of the season. So having a guy like AJ Brown now who's a true outside guy and not like a Digs who's more of an inside player, at this point, do they see a lot more too high safeties And then it's Reggie Gilliam and Remandre or Trevion Henderson and then we can run the ball at you.
Speaker 4: So they have we go.
Speaker 8: We love it.
Speaker 4: More flexibility.
Speaker 9: They're easy to defend, not anymore, baby, they have more answers in that way to pivot, you know, like if you are going to play us in a too high shell because of Drake Mays deep ball and AJ Brown on the outside.
Speaker 6: We have a full back, we have two running backs, we have six offensive linemen that we feel good about playing, and.
Speaker 2: We've got an offensive coordinator that can use these guys figure it out like yet and in the lab.
Speaker 7: I don't think anyone's going to stop now.
Speaker 1: They won't. They'll be lucky. Well it would be a fluke. Yeah, I think we've already a stabished. I think that's the way it could happen, and then no one's going to.
Speaker 6: Stop us is obviously, I know you're being facetious. But top five offense in football, I think is in play like I I really I think that they have that kind of arsenal around Drake now that they can kind of do whatever you need to do.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if they could do that last year.
Speaker 6: Last year there's a lot of three wide receivers, there's a lot of Drake may in the shotgun like that drop back passing. This year, I think they can do different things. They can run the ball, they can play action, they can get big and you know, put big people on the field and run it over, run over you instead of just throwing it over the top.
Speaker 2: If everything on paper comes to fruition is the one kind of maybe weak link is tight end depth.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, it's like, if Hunter Henry gets hurt, I think it changes things a lot, and I think you're kind of scrambling a little bit. I mean, I even think having Julian Hill that hurt and now you know, it just puts a spotlight for me on Hunter Henry. Everything evn't said. You've got all this ability to do all these different things. If all of a sudden you're you know, looking at Eli Eridan getting in there, or you know, Dupre or some you know, one of these undrafted guys from the last couple of years, or even Pharaoh Brown, you know, it's it's clearly a week link that they won't be able to go to.
Speaker 1: So I just I'd love to see.
Speaker 3: One of these other tight ends maybe at least show some kind of signs of progress or hope that because I just feel like right now it's it's kind of Hunter Henry or Bust at tight end and it's all on him, and he's you know, an older player's.
Speaker 6: Got to be a move coming there. You know, they hinted at it in the spring. It hasn't happened. Yet, I wonder if they're going to give these young guys at least the first couple of weeks of camp to try to win that job, and then you know, we get around the preseason starting around there joint practices. Maybe they're making calls and bringing in a veteran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a little concerned about that, and that makes sense. They've seen teams do things like that before. But if you have a guy that you want to be a part of your team, I would think that there's some urgency to get him in and get him acclimated to your system as quickly as possible. Now, there's always a chance that you bring in someone that has some experience in your system, and maybe the learning curve isn't is great. Evan and I talked about that when we did our all Football show you before you guys were on vacation. We talked about like the John Tui Spens of the world and just the two just just chopping it up, Salt Peppa, you just chopping it up, a little talk, a little ball talking, just talking about bros hanging out, having a good time.
Speaker 2: All right, Eight five five pats five hundred is the hotline. Podcast at Patriots dot com is the email address. Let's hear what you have to say. And by the way, I launched my first podcast, yeah yeah, at Toby House far behind. First one came out on Sunday. So everyone go to YouTube subscribe like it's at Toby House Live. Even if you don't want to watch, just subscribe, let it, let it play for anyway another house.
Speaker 1: Do what everybody else does in the internet.
Speaker 2: It'll help with the algorithm. So at Toby House Live, tb e y watch the first episode. It'll get better.
Speaker 7: Don't worry. Uh and uh.
Speaker 1: The first one. That's good. Yeah, we're off and running. That's great. I'm gonna sub thread. Is this yours? That's not yeah, that's it, that's you. Yeah, that's not me.
Speaker 4: These three seconds this has to fail.
Speaker 6: It counts accounts of you. You know, you just click on it for like three seconds.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh no, But for and YouTube, if you play the whole thing, it's even better.
Speaker 1: It's even better.
Speaker 2: And then if you comment, say hey, good job or whatever. If you comment, like subscribe and do all that stuff engagement. Yeah, so please do that. Just do me a favor, will you? I do so much for you? If you could just do me this solid go to YouTube at Toby House Lives. Watch it. I think you might like it. It's going to be interesting. We'll get into some good things. So all right, that's it. I'll remind people at the end of the show too, do you have a crawl gard? Like I said, I I spent my I'm like a parent. I've spent my whole life taking care of you. Now it's time for you to take care of me.
Speaker 1: All right, Paul, You've done a great job of taking care of me. I'm just worried that I'm not gonna have anyone to take.
Speaker 2: Care all right, let's go to the phones. Eight five five pats five hundred herms in DC. What's up?
Speaker 1: Herm?
Speaker 10: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Friend?
Speaker 8: Listen, I'm gonna process of buying a house. I'll definitely subscribe to your podcast. So you said you're gonna review tools and stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in the next episode we're actually filming it tonight. Top ten tools a new homeowner must have, Yeah, a new homeowner, So that's yeah, screwdriver, yeah.
Speaker 8: Right right up my alley. I had a two good questions one question asoud put Paul in one four all you guys, my friend Christmas Paul was It's an odd question, but I'll promise I'm making a point. If I were to add ask you who is your you know, who's the best basket player of all time? What would you What would you answer?
Speaker 1: Paul?
Speaker 2: Best web player, basketball player, basketball.
Speaker 1: Best basketball player of all time? Michael Jordan. Jordan's oh, thank you. That's really not a yes no answer. That's very subjective, but yes, that would be my I.
Speaker 8: Guess, Michael, I guess I'm a little surprised because I'll listen to one of the episodes when I was driving back to the Hamptons and correct, Levall, I think you said you rather go to ten super Bowls and on the way three versus going four for four?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, considering.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So then how is in Lebron the goat?
Speaker 1: Paul Michael Jordan's right, I tested, I got your hair, no player, but you didn't ask me. You didn't ask me about accomplishments like I mean, if if we're just like counting rings and counting like wins. At the end, Lebron's played longer, he has more points than Jordan's, or he's better than Jordan's no, like he just played longer. I think Jordan's better. He also retired in the middle of his career. He retired in the middle of his career baseball. Otherwise you could he would.
Speaker 8: Have won you. Yeah, well, I guess, guess just win three over four.
Speaker 7: But anyway that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of guys I would take Lebron.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, see, I didn't even think Bron's Lebron.
Speaker 1: I think they'll take Magic.
Speaker 2: I'm not a Lebron hater. I know there are a lot of Lebron haters. I just I only top five. He may not be my number two though.
Speaker 1: That's Lebron I think is better than him too.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, easily anyway, second play all the time. Thank you for the call. You can be the biggest Lebron spon Lebron.
Speaker 2: Where's he gonna go?
Speaker 4: Golden State?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know what I love about this, that's the trust that nobody cares.
Speaker 2: Nobody really does. But it doesn't make a big impact.
Speaker 1: It doesn't his his group is putting out there like the rich Paul the decision this time. No, he's trying. He's trying. It's the indecision, the ultimate narcissisy.
Speaker 7: And you're saying it does make a big impact where he goes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think it does. Why because he's good?
Speaker 1: That's very simple one, the.
Speaker 4: One in the bubble.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think that Lebron's like, he's not a number one guy anymore.
Speaker 4: He's not.
Speaker 6: He's not your your your top guy on a team. But if he goes to a team that has a couple of pieces already and he's like the third option on that team, and he's willing to do that at this point for Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Threat, you know, Brown was the fourth best player.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Threat.
Speaker 6: I don't know if Philadelphia works because they already have so many mouths defeat on that team.
Speaker 4: But I think Lebron didn't he just go to Cleveland.
Speaker 1: He might be nice on the list, and I think there'd be no threat to win if he went there either.
Speaker 7: I'm not saying, but I mean, just end your career in Cleveland.
Speaker 1: On the list, you know, that's mighty nice.
Speaker 4: But that but saying he's not the second best player of all time.
Speaker 2: But I agree, like impact all, I don't think that like people are waiting with dated breath to see where he goes.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's beyond that now with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, if you're a huge Lebron fan, then I could see you, yeah, you know, waiting on all these these reports and whatnot. But like if you're just like an NBA fan or a fan of sports, like you're not sitting around wondering chief's Lebron gonna go?
Speaker 2: And I heard like the NBA is waiting to put out the schedule, Yeah because of him? Oh yeah, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: That's true?
Speaker 2: If he ends up with Cleveland, then the networks can figure out when they want to put Cleveland games on.
Speaker 6: Because they have like their big mark He days like Christmas stay and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: All right, so they can figure they can change the schedules.
Speaker 2: Around they don't know they and then change The NFL does it every week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's hour.
Speaker 1: That's one of the problems with the NFL is they have no regard for their fan base.
Speaker 2: Just make your schedule, don't wait for him.
Speaker 1: He'll what did he just say that out loud? Make your schedule.
Speaker 7: Just make your schedule. I'm not I'm talking about the NBA.
Speaker 6: I still not over that. You guys don't think he's the second best player.
Speaker 1: I think he's a great play. He's a great one. I'm teasing you, guys. Just because I think other guys are better doesn't mean I don't think he's a great player. Anthony's in Seattle. What's up, Anthony?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 11: What's Fred? Deuce?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 11: Welcome back, Paul and Evan?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 11: Hey. Uh so you guys did it? You could you You converted me. You know, you've you've eat somebody over the head, you know, for long enough, eventually you're gonna you're gonna leave it not And I watched the World Cup finale and uh, it's you know, it's it's one of those things where it's it's everywhere, so you know, you have ample opportunity to to uh to get in front of the TV. So I went to brunch with with the wife and I told myself, I said, Okay, I'm just gonna when I get home, I'm gonna turn it on and if it's watchable, I'll watch it. If not, I'll just you know, change the channel. And man, it was more than watchable.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 11: I I enjoyed it. It was a you know, it was it was a fun watch. I think part of it was I thought that you guys a lot.
Speaker 1: Actually.
Speaker 11: Uh, one of the things was the stakes. And it's like a person who doesn't watch football, but then they watch the Super Bowl. When you when the stakes are really high, you know how much it means to so many people. You know, it obviously enhances the watchings. But I, based on the newsletter, it seemed like you guys were kind of either rooting for Spain or you thought Spain would win. And it didn't take me long to recognize that. I don't think I can talk intelligently enough about the game to say that they were better, but I don't think it's arguable that like they are faster. It was it was. It wasn't like they couldn't run with them. And I thought Argentina's goalie had I thought you had himself a day, but I just felt like it was and by him. And then lastly, and I'll get off the phone, and I love that it's back to football. So I certainly don't want to high check the show. But Paul, I thought of you, man. I thought of you the first time that a guy died and then was magically resurrected ten seconds later. I didn't even react when the guy hit the ground. I just knew. I'm like, he's faking. These guys flop, but just in the flopping in general is exhausting, and I wonder, and here I am some non soccer guy coming in talking about the rules, but I do wonder if they have thought about explored, uh, you know, adding penalties for flopping, because it's like.
Speaker 7: Every time I get there, it's got to be egregious.
Speaker 1: They did it a little bit early in the group play. I saw that archaetimes.
Speaker 6: Give it to you, but I Did's a cultural thing, like until it starts to be frowned upon by the other players.
Speaker 1: Who was the first flopper in soccer?
Speaker 2: We know? I mean, gonna soccer historian, tell me where did that start?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's always been a part of.
Speaker 7: Our generation, but I don't know, like was it always that way?
Speaker 1: I judge it by the amount of barrel rolls they do after they go down right right right. It's a tough.
Speaker 6: One that you're not a soccer fan to watch the World Cup final was that's a tough first game because.
Speaker 1: I had heard it was kind of dull.
Speaker 6: I didn't, yeah, to appreciate one side well, but to appreciate how good Spain was in that game is to understand the defensive tactics and things like that, which is not the sexy part of the game. So it's a lot like football, like you know, defensive battle like a Super Bowl fifty three, thirteen to three game. You know, it depends on who your perspective on life on whatever.
Speaker 7: I think of the halftime it works up.
Speaker 4: I think that the.
Speaker 6: What I don't understand about halftime shows is like people that get so mad that they didn't like it. It's like, for like you don't have to watch it, and it's like fifteen minutes of your life, like, you know, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, go to the store. I didn't realize there was a show.
Speaker 6: People just gets so like animated about how much they hated and it's because it really was fine.
Speaker 2: I thought it was uplett, you know, it was Upbeataten who wasn't from when Bieber.
Speaker 4: Was It was a bunch of people pts Bieber.
Speaker 2: I got a little whiplash watching Shakira's hips, I mean, unbelievable. She's like, what in her fifty Yeah she's.
Speaker 4: Still killed fifty. He still chills fantastic.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But when Justin Bieber came out. It just brought the whole house down. He did a good way, comes out with a guitar and he's like really slow, and everything before that was like, you know, lively and upbeat, and then he comes he does his thing, and then he comes out and Shakira comes out and brought it back up.
Speaker 7: But like, why bring him out? He brought the whole house down?
Speaker 6: Well you can. He has so many songs that are upbeat. I don't know why they picked that acoustic song. No, no, even that would have been better. It was like one of his newer acoustic songs. I don't know why he didn't do like one of his like you know, get the party started type of what.
Speaker 1: Like she will for something.
Speaker 2: She did the World Cups. Play every every game when the guys come out, she did you know, she performed that.
Speaker 6: She's she's the World Cup, right, there's a dumb person.
Speaker 3: Right, And there's always like a song that they do for the World Cup, right, like everything.
Speaker 6: Ye Like, so Waka Waka is the most popular one, I would say, yeah, And I was a little disappointed.
Speaker 4: I thought maybe she was going to do that mix it in.
Speaker 2: Because that's but I thought it was a really good show.
Speaker 4: It's a banger.
Speaker 6: I liked it, but yeah, that's a tough game to like. Like, the best player in that game was Roger, the Spain's central midfielder. You're like, that's not something that it's not like Messy or like you know, Lemna Mal up top like someone that's scoring goals.
Speaker 4: It's just the way he controlled the midfield is what I.
Speaker 3: Had n't watched much of thema Mal before that game. And he's another one like Messi where it's like the ball is just glued to his feet and he's just.
Speaker 1: Making little little moves.
Speaker 3: But I did develop some of the appreciation that you're talking about ev with just the defensive attitude that just I mean, I don't know the exits nose, but how quickly they closed and there was just no space to breathe and they are constantly, you know, on top of Argentina the second gig they got the ball.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was just it was interesting.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of the other games I watched I appreciated guys like holland the talented guys, but this was one where it was like kind of a team win.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just like these guys are just dam that was the Yamal was the guy that I chose. Alex asked us if there was a player that we hadn't heard of, and again, I'm a soccer nubes, like, I don't know any of these guys other than you know, the messies and the babes of the world. You know, I don't know the That's a guy I had never heard of. And I watched a couple of the games and I was like, this kid hasn't so.
Speaker 4: I was glad to find out he was the MVP of Euros two years ago. He plays for Barcelona, I know.
Speaker 1: And that's and I wrote that in my things, like I know, I know everybody knows who this is except for me, But I chose that was the one guy that in Dallas. What's up, Chad, how's it going, y'all?
Speaker 12: I'm talking about bringing out something Fred send. In the beginning of the show, Fred was talking about he's not worried about anything on the offense, and I am worried about the injury bug.
Speaker 1: You can weave off that on offense part. That's not worried about anything. Everything's great, everything's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we're always it worried about injuries, But is it really worth it to even worry about it. They're gonna happen, yeah, you know, and there's nothing you can do about it, So like, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: But if they if they stay healthy, I still I have other worries, Like it's not like, oh, the only thing that can stop them is if they're not playing like no, like no, especially the offensive line. How's that all come together?
Speaker 12: I believe in laws of averages a little bit. I felt like last year were on the good side of the injury. Yeah, the good side of the injury.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 12: I feel like we brought another guy in that's injury prone on the offensive line.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 12: I think he came from the Jets as well, just like Moses. Yeah, so that those make me scretly worried because I think Gibson lash Yield was actually a big miss for injury. I think our second second round running back really didn't show up at all. That can happen the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't look at what anybody did with the Jets as what they're going to do after the Jets.
Speaker 1: Second.
Speaker 2: That goes for Sam Donald or anybody.
Speaker 6: You know, Yeah, the one thing I'm I'm looking for in camp on the offensive line. And thanks Gatle about this in the position preview that we did. Lomu playing a little bit at guard in the spring, you know, perked my ears up a little bit because if Avt does get hurt, I think we all kind of assumed that Ben Brown might be the guy that had to fill in there.
Speaker 4: But do they feel like Lomu could play some left guard?
Speaker 6: And if they do, then I feel like you have a built in layer of depth for AVT injury at that point. You know, Ben Brown has to play left guard for twelve thirteen, fourteen games and playoff games and stuff. That's a little bit concerning. But if your first round pick is playing there instead and he's you know, playing at a decent level, I feel a little bit better about that. But we'll see how much he plays there in camp. I'm interested to see how much they cross train him at all four spots, honestly on the right side and the left side.
Speaker 3: I will I'll just say, how's Wilson look at center?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Is that a seamless transition? Is he you know, better player there?
Speaker 1: Does he? You know? Do we see why they.
Speaker 3: Wanted to move him, you know, kind of to his natural position. Is you know, is there a considerable jump in his players in and.
Speaker 1: You you should expect improvement from Campbell and Wilson in year two. They should be better players. It's just natural.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: Darius and Louisville loved every fourge episode, but come on, Ford, only thirty minutes. That was a little disappointing. Well, just so you know, there's a new rule with the league that teams can't do more than thirty minutes of behind the scenes type of content per week, so we're limited this year.
Speaker 4: I actually liked it.
Speaker 1: It's a I didn't. I haven't seen it yet, but it's amazing. You're just going to get criticism, Like I can't tell you how I can't tell you how many people reached out to me about the ones that we did last year, like too long, this is really good. It's way too long, right, that was way too long. This is way too long. Make it thirty minutes. It's like, this is too short.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thought it was great. I thought it was a tight twenty eight minute it was.
Speaker 7: It was very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it flowed well.
Speaker 6: It didn't have as much like I didn't feel like I was there was any repetition or anything like that. As much as mind as longer I would.
Speaker 3: Push back a little bit, I would have one that would be my one note was like, I felt like we relived the AJ Brown arriving here three times.
Speaker 1: Like I felt like we opened it.
Speaker 3: With him arriving and like and then and when there's rumors.
Speaker 1: He might and I'm like, didn't he already come?
Speaker 3: That was my only critique of it was Yeah, the open hat, Yeah, And that was a little bit like where are we?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I threw me off too, But then I realized that that was like kind of like a montage open of what the episode was going to be. H And so then because there was one speech that veryble that was on the practice field that repeated, but it was because like the ten seconds of it was in the little opening montage and then it came back and you saw the full thing later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Time to take a break, Time to eat when we come back. More calls and emails here on a regularly scheduled Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 13: Come welcome our newest restaurant editions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu.
Speaker 2: Exciting cocktails and brunch available.
Speaker 7: Daily beginning at eleven am.
Speaker 13: Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe.
Speaker 1: Craving the classics.
Speaker 13: Chick fil A makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn rewards every time we visit Patriot Place Shop dine.
Speaker 5: Enjoy the heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power moves. Having end to invisibility on your most critical shipments that x the new power move.
Speaker 2: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com Slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus. Play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 14: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five G network. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at brizon dot com or at your nearest store for new customers, thirty dollars per line includes autopan switch discount, additional taxi fees. In terms of ply unlimited data is retricted to on device on my phone usaitch to mess of data roaming at TWG speeds.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna play the game boy, you gotta learn to play it right.
Speaker 1: DraftKings is all about responsible gaming. It's more fun when it's for fun, so played responsibly. Draft Kings the Crown is yours gambling problem called twenty hundred gaper twenty one plus. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction.
Speaker 3: And today we're going to talk about the running backs coming back in with ramondre Stevenson, Trevier and Henderson kind of headlining this group. A little bit of transition though we had Antonio Gibson briefly last year he got hurt. Don't only seemed like, you know, they trusted in the draft with jam Miller, but otherwise not really an obvious third candidate into that role. Terrell Jennings still kind of kicking around as well. But let's start at the top with Ramondre Stevenson, who you know missed a few games with injury ev but overall he's one of the best pass protection and make sure you let Paul talk about that. Paul appreciates from Wander his pass protection. But just an all around back, you can kind of do it all and if you could just stay healthy, he's one of the best backs in this league.
Speaker 6: Yeah, down the stretch, he was one of the best backs in football last year you know, a guy that was right near the top of the league and yards per carry, yards after contact, like all those fancy metrics that I liked that he was really one of the more productive workhorse running backs down the stretch of the season.
Speaker 4: They had the little fumbling issues early on.
Speaker 6: Especially that Pittsburgh game, but then he didn't fumble the rest of the season, so maybe that's behind him as well. The pass blocking, you know, I think all of it kind of came together for him down the stretch to the point where he really was the bell cow in the playoffs and played seventy percent of the snaps in the playoffs, and Treveon Henderson was kind of an afterthought at that point. So it's not a criticism of either one of those guys, but if just looking at that duo or that tandem, you just would like to see them peak at the same time a little bit more consistently this year.
Speaker 4: I felt like last year they were kind of dueling fiddles, like it was.
Speaker 6: Travon Henderson was hot for a couple of weeks, then Ramandre was hot for a couple.
Speaker 4: Of weeks, but they never really had them both rolling at.
Speaker 6: The same time to really truly be that one two punch, But I don't know what more you could have asked for Ramandri and Stevenson down the stretch of last season, you know, last month of the regular season into the playoffs, he was excellent.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to be really interested to see how the presence of Reggie Gilliam at fullback impacts both of them. And I know there's been a lot of talk about Henderson maybe you know, maybe the lacking vision at times and how that could help him, but I think it might have an impact on Stevenson as well. So we know Josh McDaniels likes to utilize that position. Gilliam is a really good one. I think he's a pretty versatile one. He's not just sort of a meathead blocker. He can move. He's got some athleticism too his game. So I'm curious to see how McDaniels implements, you know, two back sets with a traditional fullback. Are we are we sleeping on Henderson eleven hundred yards last year total, you know, combined between rushing and receiving ten touchdowns, you know, but quiet down the stretch out and as you said, it was kind of all Ramondra Stevenson as you got down into the playoffs and into the super Bowl. We saw him this spring. The guy runs like lightning. I mean it's you can just see the acceleration. You think it will be even better here in year two as he gets a full offseason in the NFL program. But are we sleeping on Trevon Henderson a little bit as maybe a year two guy who could really elevate and be that one two punch with with Ramondra and be even better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think maybe a little bit.
Speaker 6: Because you know, I was writing up the written version of this recap or preview, I guess I should say, and I was looking at the numbers, and led the team in touches, led the team in yards, led the team in.
Speaker 4: Touchdown Cravon Henderson's right across the board.
Speaker 6: And I don't think if you asked somebody, hey, who led to the Patriots and yards, you know, total yards.
Speaker 4: From scrimmage last year, that people would guess Henderson.
Speaker 6: They might say Diggs, they might say Remandre and he I don't think his name would come to mine, you know, top of mind. But I think a couple of things that you look at from his game is just sort of understanding the NFL game and developing in that respect. There's no doubt he can run like the wind and has great explosiveness and athleticism and can make big plays happen. But the vision between the tackles that Paul is talking about, the pacing like sometimes I feel like he's honestly going too fast.
Speaker 4: Both as a runner and a pass catcher.
Speaker 6: Pass blocking obviously is a lot mental that I think that that didn't exactly translate from college to the pros for him as a rookie. So all these elements I think are more between the ears than they are anything physical. But can he develop that part of his game. Can he see the field a little bit better? Can he understand how to set up his blocks a little bit better? Those types of things could maybe help him elevate from what was a really good rookie season that I do think is getting slept on a little bit to a breakout second season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, to me. The thing but Henderson is consistency, like Kevin said, and if you look at the number, the numbers are terrific. They were very concentrated in a short amount of time where he just exploded, you know, that Tampa Bay game, you know, the Buffalo home loss. He had some big runs in there. I think what the coaching staff is looking for. Mikeabel talked about this a lot is more consistency to the running game, more so than just flat out production. The numbers are what they are. I think he had four touchdowns of fifty yards or more. That's great. And that home run ability, you know, no one wants to take that away from him. Hopefully that he keeps that while adding a lot of eight and you know, eight and ten yard runs with it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, like a lot of the precisions on this roster, guys, it's like, you get to the top two Henderson Stevenson, really good, exciting young guy, promising some explosion. You cover your bases. But that's where the questions start. And I mean I put Reggie Gilliam in that group too. I know he's a fullback with Brock Lampy competing at that spot too. But you know, behind those guys, ev I know you got some real estate on land Larison Islands, so I'm sure you can talk. Was that the best spray here for my boy? But Terrell Jennings, you know he's been around He's a practice squad guy. He was brought up, got hurt last year, so he's been, you know, hanging on jam Miller. They brought in from Alabama who's got some potential as well, and Miles Montgomery, the undrafted rookie.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a mishmash. I don't know how that's all going to play out. What do you think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're putting all.
Speaker 6: These names in the hat and hopefully pulling out an RB three out of somewhere here. You know, I still think Glenn Arrison's going to have his day. You know, he's gonna have a say in all of this seat at the table. I really just like his his pass catching ability out of the backfield. I think he runs with good power, good sturdiness as well. We saw that in the preseason a little bit last year before he shut it down. But I think that he's probably, to me, the guy that has the most skill out of this group and kind of excites me the most. Jam Miller, you know, maybe a little bit more as well as you know, as the second guy in that conversation too. But I know it's not sexy, but it is going to come down to special teams like the guy that returns kickoffs the best, the guy that can play in the kicking game the most. You are really banking on Stevenson and Henderson being your your two primary backs in this backfield. Uh, and the third guy is going to have to find a game day role on special teams and in the kicking game. So last year, whether it was Terrell Jennings or Dearness Johnson or Antonio Gibson, all of those guys returned kickoffs at some point last season. So that's going to be a big part of this as well. And we probably have to wait till the preseason games to fully grasp that.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say. We always bring back such a hard position, Paul to evaluate in training camp. I mean, you get into the preseason games, but you got to assume that Stevenson Henderson probably not seen a lot of carries in the preseason, so you know, they closed opportunity probably for these guys Torell Jenning, TM Miller, Larison, even Montgomery to get a lot of catch.
Speaker 1: I mean, the kick returning roll is a good point too, because clearly they want to stay away from some other guys and those those train wrecks, you know, and we'll talk about you know, wide receivers too. You know, there's there's a lot of depth there and maybe one of those guys factors into the return game there. But someone's going to emerge out of that group. And also don't dismiss the possibility. The way they use the practice squad now with all those spots, and you know, you see teams effortlessly, you know, sort of navigating that throughout the season. The third running back very well could be on the practice squad for the majority of the year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not too worried about it because they have enough names in the hat and you see these teams just find third running backs to the late draft picks ud fas all the time. So even though it might not be like an Antonio Gibson who has some proven NFL experience, I think one of these guys, like Paul said, will eventually emerge.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that's the running back position.
Speaker 3: Feel great about Henderson and Stevenson, but some interesting competition going into training camp behind them.
Speaker 1: And now great moments in.
Speaker 2: History Richard and Prague. Right, Sin, please tell Matt Lauer lookalike he's wrong. It's pronounced Edinburgh, not Edinburgh.
Speaker 1: This just won't go all time out.
Speaker 4: I haven't finished time out because I.
Speaker 2: Know he's gonna Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was my more lenions of the email, the time out, you read the whole thing as a matter of fact, I not an offer.
Speaker 3: Fred hasn't read any of the emails, and there have been that have said Eric's right.
Speaker 1: You've refused to read any of those. I've seen comments on Twitter that's used absolutely refused.
Speaker 2: The tour guide who told him otherwise was clearly a major bell end. I've never heard that.
Speaker 3: That must be in Scottish frog thing. I just thought it was funny, they said. One of the guys said I was right, and I didn't even know what I was saying. I was just kind of throwing like edin Burgh.
Speaker 1: That's another great moment from.
Speaker 2: All right back here on Patriots on Filtered eight five to five. PATS five hundred is the hotline podcast at Patriots dot com is the email address. Uh so we're talking everything we were talking about. Somebody challenge us about Jordan versus Lebron in terms of how many championships they won and all that stuff, or how many they went to Anthony says ten out of ten times, you take more trips to the super Bowl as opposed to going to less in being undefeated.
Speaker 7: It's not up for debate. But that's different. That's a different argument.
Speaker 1: It is a different argument, but it is up for debate because it's your opinion. Opinions are well by definition for debate.
Speaker 7: People can say that just to be demonstrative.
Speaker 6: Alway, isn't that true if you're like tied. So I look at it like medals in the Olympics, right, like Brady has seven goals and he's got well how many silvers? Right, but like that Lebron and Jordan aren't equal on golds, Like Jordan has won more titles than Lebron, So like, no matter how many times Lebron has been.
Speaker 1: That's well, that's why Fred said, that's not the same. I don't think it's out.
Speaker 4: Both of them are like four and four, but one of them has been ten times.
Speaker 2: And lost six of us more like the Montana Brady, but Brady Montana is four for four.
Speaker 1: People credit credited Montana with being four and oh as opposed to Brady's whatever, seven and three. I'll take seven and three over four and oh any day of the week. I don't think that that's an arg that that to me is not up for debate. But that's my opinion. So someone else might say, no, Montana was better because he went there and never lost, right.
Speaker 2: Like, debates what about all the playoff games he lost that Brady didn't, Because you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's my mindset. That's that's why I think it's more impressive to go to the super Bowl and lose as opposed to lose forty nine to three to the Giants on the way to the super Bowl, right like, which is what Montana did in the heart of his career. Not that it was his fault. I'm just saying, like Brady didn't have those.
Speaker 2: Nope, sure didn't. All right emails, Joe Wright said, Paul, the cute little things that Mike gets excited about are the things Tom Brady credits for turning his career around in Michigan and getting him on the field in New England. Attitude and energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, Yeah, Paul, be talking about try to kick out my clanking bottles together, saying Warriors is not what got Tom Brady onto about And that's what I was teasing Mike about. So fun, No great movie I'm not telling you that they don't have fun doing it. That's absolutely fun. Just don't tell me that that's why they be done for it, Like it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not the act of the clanking of the bottles, but just the camaraderie, the energy and the excitement, the friends.
Speaker 1: You know, right, that's the The energy and camaraderie is what I'm interested in, not the bottles. Okay, do you know what I'm saying. I know what you're saying, And you can have one without the other. I just don't need. Now, some people love that stuff. They eat it up. Matter of fact, in this day and age in the culture, where's that going? That's going viral today? And that's the cute thing that people. It's just I guess I'm old and like that stuff doesn't really resonate with me the way it does probably someone who's in their mid twenties.
Speaker 4: It doesn't resonate with me either.
Speaker 2: But this goes back to when Paul played sports, Because when Paul played sports, he didn't.
Speaker 7: Like the raw ro guys.
Speaker 1: No, I did not.
Speaker 15: I did the heart you did, the guys that were always like you know, I was, I was, well, you don't have to be a heart o, but like could but I was kind of an energy, raw ra guy when I played.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you that because I didn't have the talent. That's probably why, if you want to go real armchair psychologist, I pushed back on those guys because they represented my own shortcomings.
Speaker 2: The talented guys, these guys, the clappers. I thought you, I thought you liked the talented guys, and you like talent.
Speaker 1: I try hard because I envied them. But I wasn't try hard because I didn't have the ability to not do.
Speaker 2: Wait in your life, what you didn't know, you didn't try.
Speaker 1: I tried, I tried. I tried. Believe me, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I wasn't a lack of effort away from being in the major leagues.
Speaker 2: That's not what Tommy did, Debosa told me. Ever, let's see David Wright saying, glad to see the full compliment. How about each guy picking the player you think will show the most improvement most, who who will show the most improvement? I think that's an interesting Rookies are out because they haven't improved yet. And it's hard to say Drake because I mean he said a really high bar.
Speaker 1: I mean, a lot of these guys play.
Speaker 2: If you think, if you think again, the numbers don't have to improve, but if you think mentally he's approved that, that to me, that's a big leap.
Speaker 1: It just falls back on semantics. All I'm gonna go on the easiest one.
Speaker 3: And I don't even know if I believe it, but I'm gonna say, Kyle Williams, I knew that was can say I.
Speaker 4: Don't believe that. You don't believe you did not say that with your.
Speaker 2: Is that out a hope?
Speaker 1: That's not a VA that's got a hope, that's out of hope, I think.
Speaker 3: But there aren't a lot of players I feel like you can say, like you really need something, Will Campbell, Jarre Wilson.
Speaker 1: I think Campbell is a good pick. I believe it.
Speaker 2: In fact, that was what I might have picked.
Speaker 6: I would say Craig Woodson, I think what's my pick? The playoffs were the build and then I think this season, you know, I think he's got a chance to be stole, but considered one of the top ten safeties in the league.
Speaker 3: Question for you to it, do you think do you think they're going to go back to a little bit more traditional safety roles with Buyered on the back end and what's it's gonna play more in the box this year, And I mean, I think that fits into your narrative if he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be around the ball a lot more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would think so, because I I don't think you want Byered in too many man to man situations at this point of his career. So if he ends up over the tight end or something like that, I don't love that matchup. So different ways to get away, you know, around that. But Byered to me, at this point of his career is a true center fielder, Like he's not. He was kind of like Devin mccordy towards the end, Like you're not going to put him in a lot of you know, man to man foot races things like that. You kind of want them just field generally over the top of the defense.
Speaker 3: Last year is such a big part of their defensive identity, especially if they went along wards, just that those guys were kind of interchangeable and they were They're blissed Hawkins off the edge, then Woodson's blitzing off the edge like they kind of you know, it was very fluid, which I would think sometimes teams try to get to like, well how great, like it's gonna be hard to get a beat on. But I think we have somebody as talented as Buyered on the back end that you're willing to miss that or lose that.
Speaker 2: Staying in the secondary, John and Louisiana writes in there's a debate going on right now and asks about how would you rank these Patriots cornerbacks ty Law, Stefan Gilmour, and Drell Reevs. My list is Gilmore Law than Revis. I think with Gilly winning Defensive Player of the Year, that has them over both corners. Then ty Law because how great he was in longer tenure than Revs. I'm a little biased because Gilmore is my favorite corner of all time, but wondering where you guys would rank them, certainly not Gilmore number one.
Speaker 6: I love Gilmore. Ty Law is the best corner I've ever seen the Patriots have.
Speaker 7: I'm younger than some in terms of patriot ty Law's number one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think ty Law's number one. I think Gilmore would.
Speaker 15: Gilmore too, and there's three because of what the Yeah, But in terms of like overall cornerback number one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe you take his Jet's career.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, if you're taking full careers for all three of them. It's Revis law Gilmore.
Speaker 3: That's your impression of his season as because I mean he's only here one season, Revis and it was kind of a slow start, a little bitter.
Speaker 2: It was the end of his career.
Speaker 1: Good. He had a better start to his career than Gilmore did.
Speaker 2: He was exactly what the team needed and it showed like the defense wasn't a wary all season.
Speaker 1: You know who killed him in Week one, first game as a Patriot twenty fourteen, Former Patriot. I don't know, DeVante Parker, Okay, oh I am yeah.
Speaker 4: He also killed Gilmore.
Speaker 1: So I just I see Gilmore check that might that might be a poulism. You can get those mixed up. That might that might be a paulism. I might be thinking of Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gilmore twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: But that front, front row seat to Gilmore. Disregard everything I on the nineteen season other than I mean he was amazing. I mean I remember that Cowboys game where he was like you couldn't get away. I thought he got beat for a touchdown at Miami in his first game Revs. And I was thinking, he kind of looks.
Speaker 4: Like you ate that good, and then then he was there.
Speaker 6: They're playing so much zone, and the Browner and Revis and all these like they're playing zone coverage and Revs is like, what are we doing? And and Gilmore is the same kind of thing. They started off playing a lot of zone and then they sort of figured it out.
Speaker 2: But I I.
Speaker 4: I think Tyler is the best out of that Patriot out of that.
Speaker 7: Group, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, physicality, I mean interceptions and clutch performance.
Speaker 4: Right like Alpha two, like just that shut down, Like I even.
Speaker 3: Remember him in the late nineties before. I just looking at that guy and being like that is an NFL cornerback right there, and.
Speaker 4: He's just looking at it. His pick six in the Super Bowl is yeah, iconic.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey in Canada, I says, Fred, you were the only one on this show who gets to talk about the Red Sox between now and Octoba.
Speaker 1: Absolutely believe. He does believe, and he's proud.
Speaker 2: Evan, this is Evan, Alex and Paul. You all waived your rights to say anything. Evan said it was not worth watching. Alex said, it's just a museum ballpark and she's boycotting, and Paul said he did not buy their recent success. Deuce, I know you're a one sport guy, and you've probably been focusing on our defensive line depth while eating your last lobster roll of twenty twenty six, because eating one after the start of training camp would be sacrilegious. Lady and gentlemen, start your engines the twenty twenty six seasons upon us. Here are five semi bold predictions. Patriots go eleven and six and win the AFC East's old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not that interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Though Chiefs missed the playoffs. Again, I could see that happening, so that doesn't that's not bold either.
Speaker 1: I don't see that happening. Is if all these reports are accurate about Mahomes, I don't see that happen.
Speaker 2: The forty nine Ers win the NFC West.
Speaker 1: That's a little bold.
Speaker 7: That's a little bold, especially with the Rams.
Speaker 1: Three teams are really good.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, I still any one of them. They're the clear third team though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Dolphins will be picking first overall, not at all, one of the worst rosters in the league. And here's one that Paul will get on board with Caleb Williams is the league MVP.
Speaker 1: That's bold, that's hold because he's not he's not consistent enough to put up the numbers that you have to because these guys don't crazy, So these guys don't watch the games. They just look at the stats and he'll have like his completion percentage won't be good enough to win it. He could play good enough, but the completion percentage I can't see being like that gaudy seventy percent that. No, he did.
Speaker 2: But if he's got a bunch of yards running and they're winning, right, he'd be in the mix.
Speaker 1: I feel like they'd be like with him there. He wasn't in the mix last year. He did all those things, but his stats are just kind of pedestrian. Because that's complete enough, right? Can we go back by the ways? Mike Wallace?
Speaker 4: Mike Wallace? Can we go back to the Red Sox thing real quick?
Speaker 1: Oh? You can't.
Speaker 6: So I just want to say, you gotta do you gotta separate these two things like this. To me, the movie that comes to mind when I think about these current Red Sox is Major League right. They're doing this in spite of ownership and upper management. They're not doing this because the team is pointed in the right direction and they like are getting the resources they need or they're doing good things. No, they're they're this is unbelievable what they're doing.
Speaker 2: So you don't you think obviously you think that they're playing way above their potential their abilities.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm just yeah, but I'm also just saying that they have my My frustrations with the Red Sox everybody else is nothing to do with the players on the field. My frustration with the Red Sox has to do with the dude that sits in the owner's box.
Speaker 4: So that's why I don't like. I don't want to give him my money until he starts taking it zero.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I kind of agree with Evan, And you know, I made the comment like a month ago, like I just wish he would sell the team if he's not really interested in trying to win. And now they're on a winning streak and there's one guy on Twitter that he keeps tweeting me sell the team. I feel exactly the same way too, Like I want them to win every single game. I think, I think this is unbelievable. I was riveted to the game last night now, partly because my son went and we were teasing them, like you're not going to be allowed to go anymore if you break the streak. But we were watching it in like these games right now, the last three or four games, it's like electric in there. It's back to normal Fenway Park. It's not the other team's fans creating all the environment. It's back to the Red Sox excitement. But this is not a sustainable product. What's on the field right now is a bunch of four players playing out of their minds. They're catching every break imaginable. The other team made four errors last night. The last out was an absolute missile right at the shortstop to end the game. Like if that's a foot up left right? Like what? Like, you know, you're talking about a whole different thing. That's what happens in baseball from time to time. You catch fire, you catch the breaks. It just happened to the Marlins, a very average team that just went twenty one and six in June. They have the same exact record as the Red Sox. They're not very good either. Yeah, like it happens, But you know what, I don't care it's fun and I watched the weekend games. The Saturday game, the Abray home run was electric.
Speaker 6: But I don't want to I don't want to get it twisted because the emailer made it sound like we can't say anything.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 6: My issues with the Red Sox are not on the field level. My issues with the Red Sox are above that, which is why I won't renew our tickets.
Speaker 4: I've flight out.
Speaker 6: Won't until you start actually putting and investing into the team. Why should I invest in you? That's how I feel, And you know what my biggest fear is.
Speaker 7: For So the Roman Holiday contract wasn't investing in the team.
Speaker 4: Giving a guy a contract way too early before.
Speaker 1: It's a small contract, like, what do you mean, Well, for guy that age, that's a lot of But that's what they're trying to do. Yeah, they did because they don't want to have a Mookie Betts.
Speaker 6: They did it with Roman, they did it with Saydan Raphaela, they did it with all these guys. Mayo, if you're willing to sign early, they're more than willing to Christian Campbell, if they actually like invested in real resources into the team.
Speaker 4: They have a decent team.
Speaker 6: They could make it really good and be a World Series contender if they actually put it.
Speaker 2: In and they're doing it without Croquet. He's he's been.
Speaker 7: Hurt, and you know what.
Speaker 1: You know what My biggest fear is Trevor's story. My biggest fear right now is that they think they're right. They just you know, they just won whatever twenty twenty eight or whatever, and they think, see, the first three months were a fluke, the last three weeks or really what it is, this is what we thought all along, and they're gonna continue to try to win like this. And I'm just telling you, at some point the talent difference between the teams that they're playing is gonna shine through. They know pitching, the pitching has been excellent, Fred excellent. Do you think that Sonny Gray's this good?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 7: He's been good this year all I know.
Speaker 1: But it's not sustainable, is what I'm saying. And my fear is they think that they're right and they've split the add on. We don't have to spend money like all those dumb teams that have good players. We don't have to do that. Fourteen in a row.
Speaker 6: The last couple of nights when they win and they show those guys in the in the boxes and stuff like that, and I'm like, Paul's right, they're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Like, see, we knew you could see that shot they had a preslo when the game ended last night, you could see.
Speaker 4: It right again. Yeah, like he's about to be he's about to be tarps off.
Speaker 1: And by the way, let me just say this in defense.
Speaker 2: I don't let whatever all that's going on take away my enjoyment of what's going on in the field.
Speaker 4: But we're separating the two. That's what I'm trying to tell you.
Speaker 1: You don't watch I did. You're boycotting the team. So I I did watch.
Speaker 2: I've watched this weekend all the fun young man.
Speaker 4: I mean I I've watched like every game last Yeah. I don't know why we keep doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I think what I'm doing is totally valid. Like they they.
Speaker 2: Do.
Speaker 4: You know how much it costs to go to a game, Okay, but like just to.
Speaker 2: Walk into the penalize the guys trying working their asses off.
Speaker 1: On how many times I said I'm separating those.
Speaker 7: Right, but he's not watching them.
Speaker 4: I literally watched last night.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? But but I would say that I have watched and you know that I but you know I wasn't.
Speaker 4: Sorry, but I'm not gonna watch when they're thirty.
Speaker 1: I've watched the Tampa Bay series coming out of the break was was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: You can't resist the good bouncing ball on TV. You can't resist I don't care what the sport is, see who's playing.
Speaker 1: I can tell you I could resist watching World Cup Final games that evidently weren't sleep inducing. It were good, but it was good. I would say that the excitement level of I didn't watch Sunday because I told you I was out golfing, But I watched Saturday. I watched the second game with the doubleheader on Friday, and the game last night was absolutely riveting. It was a great baseball for a regular season game. Now, obviously I wouldn't have been glued to the if they hadn't won thirteen in a row and it was just like, you know, they won the last game after losing the previous two. I wouldn't have been watching as intently as I was. But I'm sorry. When you win fourteen in a row like as Bob Costa says, in that clip from Moneyball, like the randomness of baseball like that to me is fun. That's intriguing, that's like, how can you know? I get caught up in it.
Speaker 2: I went to see The Odyssey last night. It was really good.
Speaker 1: You didn't watch the Red so.
Speaker 4: So he's yelling at me, my goodness, stop it yelling as you know.
Speaker 2: It's a dark theater in your check.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: What was your movie review?
Speaker 2: Excellent?
Speaker 7: Movie excellent, Yeah, really really good.
Speaker 1: I want to go see it. I want to try this for Stepher.
Speaker 7: Nolan is a fricking genius.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, really, I go see anything he did Planet thing, that one I didn't quite get it. Tenant. Yeah, I didn't get into that one. But which one? Tenant? Christopher Nolan? I had never heard of it? Very confusing.
Speaker 3: But I want to try this new movie theater here, but they don't they have good deals on tickets like eight dollar matinees.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I heard. It's another uh in the growing genre of its nonlinear jumps around a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just going you go back and forth in time. I like the way he presented it. I really do want to see I was the Cyclops. I heard the cyclops.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool. Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 7: I don't want to spoilers hunting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, case people forget that Achilles is dead.
Speaker 1: The story has been around for about two.
Speaker 4: How many people have been like, where's Achilles? He's dead? He died in the.
Speaker 2: Actually in the actual poem the Odyssey, Uh, there's a part where Odysseus goes to Hades and he meets up with Achilles and as well as some other legends of Greek Lord.
Speaker 1: Go watch Troy with Brad Pitt. I was you know, did is this a movie that you really should see in the theater?
Speaker 2: I would think so, Yeah, I mean actually it was shot for Imax. I didn't see it an Imax, but yeah, if you can see it, and I know.
Speaker 1: Incredibly well, yeah, like three theaters in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: It's three hours too, so you know, tack a lunch the days. But I I enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: It was really good.
Speaker 1: I've heard a lot of I haven't heard anybody have really many bad things going to go see it? This weekend was all sold out.
Speaker 2: Everything all right, A five to five pasts five hundred. Let's get to North Carolina. Eldred's on the phone, what's up?
Speaker 4: Eldred, There we go.
Speaker 1: How are y'all doing? Doing great?
Speaker 10: Okay, I'm doing pretty good too, But I got one serious question.
Speaker 3: Okay, anybody worry about Gonzallas holding out if they try to give him, don't give him to the stitches A.
Speaker 1: Little bit mildly mildly a little bit, Yeah, worried about him holding out camp, not not regular season games, but it might link that.
Speaker 4: Because he's not going to do that.
Speaker 1: A little bit for me, Eldred and holding out regular season and if he holds out like hold, if he has a hold in in camp, I worry about him not necessarily being ready to go at the start. And that's when like hamstrings pulled and stuff like.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and what's the deal with Akis? Is he uh on the team?
Speaker 3: And on the team we'll find out, I mean, this is any any day now, you'll find out my prediction for acuses he'll be here and they'll figure this out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean healthy.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean if we don't see squats, did you see that?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 3: I mean that's question one or two for Rabel probably on Friday when.
Speaker 8: Prescott, well, my prediction is thirteen and four and that's a very u.
Speaker 12: Thirteen in fo.
Speaker 7: Okay thirteen and four.
Speaker 4: I like it without training for DK, all right, thanks Aldred DK.
Speaker 2: But but we got a J. We don't need DK all right, thanks Aldred.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the call.
Speaker 2: Let's see. Kyle writes in from Pembroke joint practices. We've got three of them this year. Are infamous for having fights. We have joint practices with the Eagles, who haven't had a good uh split with Brown. So I have to ask, what do you think the odds are we get a Rabel versus Siriani the want to be hard oh scrap during one of the two joint practices doesn't want that smoke.
Speaker 1: I think you have a better chance of seeing a Rabel Sirianni altercation than anything involving a J. Brown because from what I've been told and Red, they love him the Eagles. The Eagles love a J. Brown. Right now, I'm not sure that Jalen Hurts and a J. Brown are as close as they once were. But I didn't heard a bad thing about a J. Brown from a member of the Eagles. Really, have you No? I heard all just glowing things.
Speaker 4: What about Elliott Woolf versus Howie Rose?
Speaker 1: We bring we bring Breslo in from over they like, don't put pres on the same they press.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to give Breslow as flowers though I think he had a really good off season.
Speaker 3: Anyway, continue I'm a little interested about Gonzales and just you know, is there a certain point where the team he wants too much and the team says, now, like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of a holdover from well, they're waiting for Witherspoon right and Witherspoon's waiting for him where I came a chicken right now? The latest thing I saw was that. And I don't know how someone determined this, but the line of thought is now that Witherspoon will be the first one to sign. So I don't know, like they're represented by the same firm, the same aiden as Reggie Johnson. I think, I forget I forget a c AA, I believe. But if you go by that Jeremy Fowler rankings from all like all the personnel people, you know, Gonzales was three, Witherspoon was four. Maybe they use that as a well that's a I mean, that's just it's a little subjective list, but it gives you a little bit of an idea. So Witherspoon should go first and then Gonzales should re up them. I don't know if Witherspoon is.
Speaker 2: That it's the same firm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they have the same agent.
Speaker 4: They do, so.
Speaker 7: Make it complicates it?
Speaker 1: I think? Because it does.
Speaker 2: You can't say to Gonzales, listen, let him go whatever he gets, we'll give you five percent more, right, you know.
Speaker 7: But if it's the same agent and.
Speaker 1: Now and now he's saying, like, you know you should go first, well no, make him go first. Yeah right, you know I'm better who knows? But I think they both have a very legitimate claim to that. Yeah, title obviously, I mean being better there with one was three and one was four different types of yeah right yeah.
Speaker 2: But does the agent? Does it make it more complicated for the agent too, because if he gets more for one like by it than the other, right right, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I mean it's gonna I don't think we're going to be like in different ballparks here, Like it's if Gonzales gets thirty two, then maybe Wetherspoon gets thirty two in a quarter, right, Like, It's not like they're going to be forty like I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Blow it out of the water more, but you never know. Yeah, I've heard some different things.
Speaker 2: Mike and Bocoverton about the cornerbacks for the Patriots. He says, Patriots all time number one cornerback is Mike Haynes and number two isn't even close. Haines was on the NFL all time Top one hundred team, but also because of his returning skills.
Speaker 1: Right, no, no, but Haines was on the all time NFL team because of his work with the Raiders.
Speaker 2: Well true, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't want to bring that up.
Speaker 2: Also, just tuned in. Not sure if you covered it. Try to watch on the Patriots app and PU was not available. Is it available on the Patriots dot com website? I hope so. Yeah, and you let's check that out.
Speaker 1: Check it out. Mike Hane's tremendous player. By the way, Yeah, remember my tremendous corner, big corner. You don't remember Mike Haynes way before my time?
Speaker 2: Stop it a little over under from Mike. Yeah, it's we got it going on the app.
Speaker 1: So try to tap that app into your cat.
Speaker 2: Check your starting control control F five.
Speaker 1: I got the blue screen of death.
Speaker 4: Did you catch your cash.
Speaker 1: What about your your cash?
Speaker 2: Uh little unorthodox preseason over under a regular season games where the Patriots will be favored nine and a hay.
Speaker 4: Well, we can find this out already.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, that's out there.
Speaker 1: Regular season games nine and a half. I'm gonna take the over. I'll take the over. I'll take ten.
Speaker 2: Although Pro Bowl selections are usually a popularity contest, amount of Patriots who make the Pro Bowl three and a hay.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go over on that because I think they went to the Super Bowl last year, and usually your a year behind on some of the players, so you'll start to get.
Speaker 1: Some of that resision.
Speaker 2: I think three is easy, right, you got maybe Gonzales, Milton Williams, and Drake May.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's easy.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's easy either, at the risk of going off, Fred, are we talking actual Pro bowlers or guys that say they went to.
Speaker 4: All because, like you said, it popular second team. I actually think that it's the initial roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, that that's what CENTI. That's what the censorship based on, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that initial roster is actually still semi legit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to take the under. Then, for the same reason.
Speaker 2: Evan said, yeah, okay, total points scored against the Jets this year, total points scored two games, fifty four and a hay over over over over.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think they might score fifty four.
Speaker 2: You never know what those AFC East games, you never know in the division.
Speaker 1: Some additions on defense. One of those games is really late in the season, right, Yeah, that I missed the second last one, so it could be a weather game. That's a good number. Fifty four and a half's a good number. I'll take the old. Just to be consistent with everybody else, I'm gonna take the under. I'm gonna take the under.
Speaker 16: The Jets.
Speaker 2: Uh home field goals made over fifty five yards by borogalas to and a hay under.
Speaker 1: Drake don't really fields this year. Offense is unstoppable. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think is like a long range.
Speaker 1: He had he had one last year? Though, didn't He didn't he have like a fifty seven yard year? Did I just invent that he might have? He went up?
Speaker 4: I did say that he doesn't have range.
Speaker 1: You know he's not, But like three of them, he's not a lot.
Speaker 4: Aubrey is kicking sixty plus yard field.
Speaker 1: See, I'm going with the Mike Mike do Soau theory. The offense will not be stopped. We don't need to be kicking sixty year field goals. That's what happens in down.
Speaker 2: T Throws for over fifty yards two and.
Speaker 3: A hey, yeah he had a sixty three yard and against Denver sixty three that's what it said.
Speaker 1: No, no, that was a sorry, it was a long. Yeah, he missed my sorry.
Speaker 2: Touchdowns for over fifty yards plus two and a hay over over fifty yards yeah, under over over.
Speaker 4: That's deep streak.
Speaker 3: May we're talking about deep Come on, come on, now, come on now, Paul, you know I got an emmy pretty good.
Speaker 1: I didn't say he didn't have an anim Has that been? What are you in?
Speaker 4: Workshopping a little bit?
Speaker 1: So he didn't have any.
Speaker 2: Let's see, back to the phone. We got Chucky in Wisconsin. What's up, Chucky gees in Wisconsin?
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, hey guys, thanks for taking my call and welcome back.
Speaker 1: Thanks to the guy who's been away.
Speaker 16: Hey, I got one that's been festering for a few months now, and I thought the off season here as we're wrapping up, might be a good time to get it, Paul A little.
Speaker 1: Bit good so good luck both shows, So.
Speaker 16: Evan's in on this too. Both shows we talked about drag May and the playoff performances, and I guess I'm sort of an analytics guy at heart. But ultimately, if you look at the weather in the Houston game, why are people we shouldn't put the ball on the ground. Why are people griping about three really beautiful touchdown passes and saying that he didn't perform in the playoffs. So thanks for taking the call, and I'll take it off the air.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I thought we were going to have a talk like those we can't hit and run just a drive by? Yeah, I mean he maybe the best throw that I saw and making the all the playoffs was the throw to Hunter Henry for a touchdown against the Chargers. Like I can pick out plays that were really good throws, but when you complete fifty percent of your passes like the like, the body of your work just wasn't that good. When you fumbled the ball how many times four in the Houston games? And does that not count?
Speaker 4: Analytically? He did not play well in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Analytically eyeball test. Yeah, like he did enough to win the games and he deserves credit for that. And yes, he played against good defenses, and yes he played in bad weather, but he didn't play that well.
Speaker 2: That's the question, you know.
Speaker 1: So for Chuck e.
Speaker 2: Cheese, I'm the throw it back at you, but you know you decided to leave. What if the Patriots defense hadn't been playing so well?
Speaker 1: Well, I would also say, like, so he made a great throw, like I said to Hunter Henry, and he made a great throw like to Dig, Like we're just counting all the touchdowns of great throws, Like does Digs not get any credit for that ridiculous catch in the end zone in Houston? That was like right in the middle of like three guys. Yes, the throw was perfect, but how many guys catch that? And I'm sorry, the booty catch is ridiculous. That was amazing better catch? Yeah, right, right, So you made the same throw and that ball's incomplete and no one's saying, oh geez, you know that ball's got to get caught. But that's just the fine line. Like the Patriots had a special year last year and those things all went for them, and Drake May was part of that and the receivers were part of that, like they deserve to win those games because they made those plays. But it wasn't just Drake May making those plays in the playoffs. Now, a lot of times during the regular season it was Drake May, but in the playoffs it was, as Fred said, the defense dominating all those turnovers. And then Marcus Jones completely changed the I mean, I know that he didn't have a lot to he caught a punt. Yeah, it was it Milton Williams that killed Stroud on that play that he threw up the punch for grabs. Yeah, that completely changed that games. Yeah, I mean he had his moments.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't win three playoff games without your quarterback having some moments, but just the sum total of it, you know, no, we didn't have many.
Speaker 2: We talked about like the Denver game. You know, the one of the biggest plays was that twenty eight yards scramble that he had or you know, the flee flicker play. But you can't tell me that Drake May had a good offensive game in Denver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the weather is going to be the weather, right.
Speaker 2: It's the weather.
Speaker 7: Weather affected that game, and it affected the Houston game.
Speaker 6: Right, But my point is is maybe the defenses won't be as good because I was a gauntlet. Let's face it, Like, you know, like Houston, Seattle, Denver was three of the best defense in the league all year long. But January football and Foxborough is going to be bad weather, Like when they get into the playoffs every single year they're not. It's not going to be seventy in sunny, It's going to be bad weather.
Speaker 1: How did the defense play and those those three playoff games, right, the Patriots defense. We don't say, well, there was bad weather for the other team right now. No, we say the Patriots defense played great because they did the red zone defense woke up for the first time all year. But how about the stunts and the pressure that we didn't see all year?
Speaker 4: They did?
Speaker 1: They don't have that amount of pressure.
Speaker 2: We might have ruined c J.
Speaker 1: Stroud.
Speaker 6: I mean either right, Herbert took a beating that now, absolutely, and they already had one hand.
Speaker 4: He was already.
Speaker 1: But like, we don't say, like, no, the weather was bad so c J. Stroud was was turnover prone.
Speaker 3: No, we say the Patriots defense killed Yeah, that was the Milwilliams When I was that popped into my head when you said.
Speaker 2: That was on was on Herbert, Yeah, David and Florida. I work retail, and so once I'm completely caught up on the podcast, I often go back a few years to listen to old shows from when they do that. I don't don't judge me, Evan, some of us have to work.
Speaker 4: I'm not judging you. I'm just judging you. Why do you like there's got to be something better that you can do?
Speaker 2: I could not help but notice the first show after drafting Cole Strange, the best compliment the panel could give about Strange was Fred saying, listen, what I hear is that he's a really nice guy. And that made me laugh out loud.
Speaker 1: This was before Evan, right, don't play it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to say. The Patriots have drafted offensive Strange from Chattanooga. We can stop it there.
Speaker 2: Like there's a question like, really along the same line, do you guys ever go back and watch full games during the odd days of the off season, not just for film breakdown? If so, what games are go tos? I personally love rewatching primetime games like the Giants Monday night football game, great show.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't watch. I don't games I do.
Speaker 3: I do will flip on some highlights from time to time when I feel like, wait, what happened in that game? Because I find I don't know if it's just doing this job or maybe it's just getting old. Like Paul we talk about, I have trouble like what exactly happened in that game? You know, like they all kind of start to blend together. So sometimes but the super Bowl, I haven't watched really. I mean I've looked at parts of it, but I haven't watched.
Speaker 1: I haven't. I haven't watched the super Bowl either. The only thing I would say sometimes NFL network will just replay random right and whether the Patriots or not. I would never sit there and watch three hours of a replay, but like I would maybe clicking on in highlight, Oh you watch this drive? No, not unless there's something very specific.
Speaker 7: It's not at midnight.
Speaker 4: No, But like I've watches them the first time and then and then he watches it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not a big case he missed any I'm not a big rewatch guy. And that might be because of that weird thing that I have with the recall, Like I kind of remember the sequence? Yeah, now again, ask me what happened like two hours ago? I can't tell you.
Speaker 2: Uh, Sam writes in I haven't seen it yet, but love it of Fred loved the show. Oh that he's talking about he's talking about Live at the Toby House.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I thought he was talking about Fortunately I hope.
Speaker 2: So anyway, go subscribe. What do you guys think the headlines will be after the first week of training camp? What will Felger be grilling Greg Bagard on Will Campbell?
Speaker 3: How's will Campbell look through the first three practices in shorts?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is Caleb Blom who already pushed it to do it?
Speaker 1: Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Now do you do?
Speaker 1: Fel I'll do Badard?
Speaker 3: Now you when you drafted him that this was the player you were getting.
Speaker 2: Headline Drake may guaranteed not to regress.
Speaker 7: That'll be the head I I think.
Speaker 3: There's a strong chance it's where's Gonzales? How are they going to figure this out?
Speaker 1: The number one thing is Gonzales. If you're tell me that he has not had a contract and he's participating fully in camp, then maybe it'll go away. But if he's doing anything resembling what he did in the spring without a contract. That's the number one thing. And then the second thing is AJ Brown. How's A Brown Brown? Yeah, I mean that's I think to football.
Speaker 3: I mean i'd put Akis in kind of the Gonzales bucket of the two outstanding personnel issues.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think A J.
Speaker 3: Brown will certainly be a big focus as we get into it. You know, how's Drake looking?
Speaker 1: Your two and you know, are of these young guys improving? You know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: One of the headlines will read this book AJ Brown sparkles in camp.
Speaker 4: I mean, are we thinking AJ Brown is going to do anything else besides AJ Brown?
Speaker 7: But they'll they'll that'll be you know, obviously it a headline when he does.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just feel like, you know, you don't feel like we're going to overreact to like AJ Brown? Did you see that? Like I felt like I wrote like one hundred words on his catching mini camp to lead my feature for the book over it totally overreacted Maybe in.
Speaker 6: That sense I thought you meant more like is like working with AJ Brown? Because you're saying fulger and Maz Like, to me, that's the negative slant of.
Speaker 1: No, Like, well, I don't take it that way. I think that they're gonna be Look, what are the storylines, like, what are the big storylines?
Speaker 4: I like punching bags.
Speaker 6: So besides, I agree with the Gonzales stuff and the act and stuff like Will Campbell is, Will Campbell's gonna be one of them a lightning rod, right, you know, he's gonna ask Baard how Will Campbell looks? But Dodd's gonna say something like I had him.
Speaker 4: He had seven pluses.
Speaker 1: I had I had him for two plus plays in the one on ones he was one one and one, but the loss went against Draymond Jones, So that's trouble again, that's good.
Speaker 3: I would say along those lines, though, if there was a storyline of Achus is practicing or Elijah Ponder one of the young edge guys are kind of popping a little bit, like you know, and then that would be that maybe the opposite of the Will Campbell, like Elijah Ponder's been given Will Campbell a hard time. Is that a good sign for Elijah Ponder? Is that a buy a bad sign for Will Campbell?
Speaker 1: If you want to go completely negative, if that's the way you're looking at it with Felger, Like what's it going to be railing against my guess is the media because my shock, my my feel will be that we will all be writing a lot of really good stuff because like AJ Brown's gonna look good and Drake may is gonna look comfortable in year two and Felger is going to read all these stories. Oh, this is like the best team in football. You know, there's got to be something that's an issue down there. Is anybody see anything that you know? Because because every diary like we're dying, the punching bag will be the media because which is not feeding them in a negative.
Speaker 4: Very big The poor Celtics beat just gets right for the Coles.
Speaker 1: He has one guy, Gary Washburn is the only guy that he'll even take with any monica of legitimacy some.
Speaker 4: Of the things he says.
Speaker 2: I agree with Brandon's and Syracuse what's up Brandon Brandon? Syracuse Orange Men, No nothing, You're gone? Okay, Uh We'll go out to the west Johns and Wyoming, what's up? John?
Speaker 1: Hey? Can you guys hear me?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Ken a long time listener, first time caller. I love your guys the show.
Speaker 8: I love that you guys do I hope Evan.
Speaker 1: And Paul had a good vacation. Thanks.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 3: One question one of the Patriots rival Jersey's gonna be back in stock take it off there?
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks? Do we have the dates for the rivalry? I think they were gonna wear him twice.
Speaker 1: Maybe he wants to know that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that back in the stop is wand I I mean I was my understanding that it was in the spring sometime, but I I've not seen them yet. Maybe it's incomplicated by the World Cup and the whole Pro Shop had to move. I don't know if that had something to do with it, but they are moving back into the Pro Shop, so I mean I would hope.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything that they be back for training camp. That seems like, well, I.
Speaker 2: Find out and we'll get the answer. For Thursday's shows'll be done in spring before the World Rivalry and Jerseys back and stocked. Yeah, the popular item I had a lot of I wonder if they'll have new a new line of I mean.
Speaker 3: The colors will get and why you can because those things were like hotcakes.
Speaker 2: That was a real success, those rivalries, and.
Speaker 6: It like seemed like it grew on people like I feel like the original release, everybody was like, what the heck is that?
Speaker 4: And then like as people looked at it more.
Speaker 2: But you know, I had a sneak peek at that long before they got from the get go. I said, these are cool, like the white helmet with the current logo and the color was it was just I did like the color. They really it's really hard to go completely different from your scheme and be successful. I think that hit a home run.
Speaker 3: I too, I mean that was I thought. I mean it'd be interesting to see. I guess eight more teams will do them this year, so you'll get another sense of right, you know how many teams.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. I liked them all last year, and sooner or later someone's going to come with something you're like, oh my god, what would they think? That's awful? The Jets. The Jets have like an all white thing. Yeah, but it's I thought they I thought they maybe it has nothing to do with the rivalry thing, but I saw something white with the old white.
Speaker 2: Helmet kind of waving the white flat probably, but I did.
Speaker 1: Think it looked. It looked good. But like the Rams one last year was pretty good.
Speaker 6: I thought, I like the they wore one was kind of different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't really see one that I was like, Oh, usually, let's face it.
Speaker 6: Usually, I mean it's the swag also with the Patriots rivalry stuff, it is really cool, like the jackets and the hoodies and like.
Speaker 1: I think that I really like the Patriots stuff that that they they put out. I hope there is I agree with the caller. I hope that they produced more of that.
Speaker 2: It's in North Carolina.
Speaker 10: Hey, ed, Hey, hey, gentlemen, Oh, I didn't know I was through there.
Speaker 2: Use that.
Speaker 10: I've been listening since you drafted my fellow Tar Hill alum, Drake May of you, guys, I had an interesting kind of question for you, and it relates to the kickoff changes we've seen in the last couple of years. Knowing these kickoff changes want to kind of encourage kickoff returns. When are we going to see a team take a non kicker on special teams and have them kick off. It leaves you someone on the back end that can make the play if the returner breaks through. And quite frankly, gentlemen, it's not that hard to kick the ball fifty or sixty yards.
Speaker 1: What do you think, well, Kansas City did it a little bit, but I would think that it is kind of a specialized skill to kick the ball where you want.
Speaker 4: Especially the landing zone.
Speaker 6: I don't think that we've seen it be enough of an explosive play to need to put another like athlete on the field. If it was, like if there was like returns happening every single week and it was kind of what we're seeing more of is like can you get the thirty yard line is like sort of the line of demarcation that most coaches are going for. So I don't know if there's the need.
Speaker 1: And the penalty correct refresh my memory, the penalty for not hitting it in the landing area is to the forty right, yeah, So I don't know if that's worth the risk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they changed the there's one loophole that they I think they shored up this offseason where like when the kickoff gets moved up, yeah because of a penalty, Like if you it's makes more sense to like kick it outside the landing zone, and they fix that, but like the kick.
Speaker 1: It out of bounds yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they really there's definitely been more returns, yep. I don't think there have been more longer returns.
Speaker 7: Right usually get to around the third right, and so I.
Speaker 4: Think that that's it's worked, and it hasn't. I guess I'm trying to say, who's.
Speaker 1: Going to be the Patriots kick returner this year?
Speaker 6: Thanks that their third running back and uh maybe like Kyle Williams or wherever they're.
Speaker 4: Like take it.
Speaker 3: We don't have a like a this is like Antonio Gibson last year felt like he's going to become for Wednesday.
Speaker 6: The third running back has been what whoever that was? Deernest Johnson Terrell?
Speaker 1: I mean, is that something tells me late later they really they have to fill this kickoff returns?
Speaker 2: I guess, like.
Speaker 1: Are you okay with that?
Speaker 6: Regie Gilliam, big impact blocker on kickoff return Ray Davis Buffalo, Yeah, all pro for the last year last year, you know, because Regie g William really good lead blocker. I think to the caller's point about the kicker, the thing I'm more interested in is like are we ever going to get more creative with the returns themselves? Like how they're block and how you know you put two guys back there and maybe have you know, reverses and things like that everybody's played it like super safe so far, Like they really haven't done anything. They've done some stunting and like looping with blockers, but nothing like too crazy like it.
Speaker 1: No. I mean it's definitely added returns, so it's done what they wanted it to take that part of it, I guess, but I don't. I don't really like it.
Speaker 4: I just feel like they still wed.
Speaker 6: I just feel like there's a lot more meat on that bone, and I think nobody, for whatever reason, teams are afraid to risk it like that. They feel like there might be a m i you know, lead to a turnover or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know Spring Lab this offseason, but there.
Speaker 6: Just seems to be like something there that, like especially if you need it, like late in the game and like you need like a big momentum play or something like that.
Speaker 1: Averse drop a name.
Speaker 2: I was having lunch with Ernie Adams and this was when they originally came up with the new rule, and I said to them, you know, I really think that this thing could lend itself to some really unique blocking schemes. And he was like he got like really excited for a second and he's like yeah, and then but he held back. You wouldn't tell me what he was thinking, because I think he's just so conditioned to not give out information. But his eyes lit up, like yeah, so, I bet you if he was still in the game, on the team that he was on, you might see some stuff.
Speaker 4: The Bills would do some things, and Gilliam was a big part of it. So maybe it's a weapon part of it.
Speaker 3: Because I was I mean, I was kind of saying, like, is it bad that they don't really? I mean, maybe they do have a plan, but from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like it seems to a place where let's just have a.
Speaker 1: Guy in there. I think though, I mean, I think Henderson should be an option now maybe if they feel like he's too valuable to the offense, but I don't. Isn't it kind of just a running play? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but I'm just like, if I'm jam Miller, I'm like, kid, you got a real opportunity here, Like, you got a real opportunity to, you know, be the guy, Like this is a role that.
Speaker 1: Is completely Anderson's like explosiveness. To me, is Taylor made for that? I Mean, Marcus Jones is every bit is valued more so. Yeah, really, and he's an electric weapon on party turns. I would hate to see them take that away from it.
Speaker 2: I think reverses and stuff like that, because unlike running play, where you have the line of scrimmage bunched in, these guys are spread out. So if if you can take advantage of that and get guys go in the wrong direction, you've got a little bit more time to get up to full speed.
Speaker 1: I don't know you're looking for creas but.
Speaker 6: Last year, right, I don't know if they would do it again, Like you know, Gibson and Terrell Jennings both got hurt returning kickoffs, yep, and so putting Henderson back there, Yeah, that's why they pulled back on that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: Matt is either in LA or Louisiana.
Speaker 7: I don't know. It says Matt from LA.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to know everyone on here always says Paul shows as someone who's not from Boston area and has only been listening for a few years, What are Paul show? Is there any show that will have Paul on and pay him money?
Speaker 1: Is really they even have to pay him? Show?
Speaker 2: The Morning Show? Any any radio show? Three of the shows on sports TV show that will that will have Paul.
Speaker 7: That's Paul's show.
Speaker 1: Doing very well. That show is doing very well. Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 4: I'll leave.
Speaker 2: Also, awesome first podcast, Fred, My brother and I loved it and wanted to know if it's coming to Spotify our Apple podcasts. Well, we're talking about Live at the Toby House, are we?
Speaker 1: We might? We might?
Speaker 2: Right, We're starting at YouTube and we'll see if we have to branch out so well that you know, listen, I'll be doing it in bare feet and selling my socks overall, but.
Speaker 1: I'll be doing it and bare feet and selling my socks. Is that how only fans works? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You sell under wear stuff on, take them off and then right slowly.
Speaker 2: So we'll close the show. Another pitch for Live at the Toby House. It's my podcast on YouTube. Just go there and watch it. Like it. Subscribe, Do me a favor, you know, pay me back for everything I've done for you for over thirty years.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: I was going to start my own couple away. I got my own pop. It's going to be uh, it's just about ticks.
Speaker 3: It's called TikTok TikTok I was just talking about we're talking about ticks.
Speaker 4: Probably you know trademark probably well you know what you.
Speaker 2: Know, like they have all the you know, they have all those videos like people popping pimples. Oh god, yeah, videos of people taking ticks off dogs.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I think it's like it's useful information refreshing, useful refreshing.
Speaker 1: To see dogs being helped like that. People, Okay, the rise, it's lines to refresh. Now.
Speaker 3: I think there's a there's some kind vaccine I think in the works though, which I think, yes, they're working on that, So we'll talk about that.
Speaker 4: On tick we took there's a big tick problem on Martha's vind overrun.
Speaker 6: So we were coming out of the I was taking them out at night when we got back from dinner and there was a skunk like and luckily I saw it before we like went all the way out on the lawn and uh, it was just sitting right in front. But that's the one thing about the vineyard, the bugs, the rodents like that, it's rampant.
Speaker 4: But the tics. Every time we took them on a walk, we had to check them for ticks when we got got back.
Speaker 7: In ticks, poison, ivy and mosquitos, let's go.
Speaker 4: Why do we need them skunks this summer on the island.
Speaker 2: I think we could do without it. The ecosystem would be fine if we eliminate those three.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's true, but I know it is.
Speaker 1: I know it is a little late in the show. But how does skunks get on the vineyard?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hop on a ship maybe, yeah, garbage, garbage vessels, garbage things like that.
Speaker 1: We also saw it to see odins, But that's a skunk.
Speaker 6: Every morning we'd wake up and there'd be a family of turkeys out on the lawn.
Speaker 1: They obviously could fly there.
Speaker 2: Fly a little bit. They do fly.
Speaker 1: They do fly. It couldn't they couldn't fly.
Speaker 2: From the rare times that bears get on the cave, they don't swim across the canal. They usually they're on those garbage vessels and they get across.
Speaker 1: They tell you.
Speaker 3: When I was driving home on the Mass back, I saw a dead bear on the medium. Oh well, that's like west End Mass And I was like, oh my god, you never see it, you know, black bear.
Speaker 1: Just dead right in the middle, never far.
Speaker 2: I used to see the car that I know.
Speaker 1: It didn't look like you know, but tune in again tomorrow Catch twenty two Dead Bear, We.
Speaker 4: Could definitely be talking about that.
Speaker 2: Tell the animals don't try to cross this car, just stay on the other side, all right. We'll see you on Tuesday. Catch twenty two tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 3: If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot,