Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: I love that silence right before the horn.
Speaker 3: Well, well, well we now know when this twenty twenty five regular season is gonna kick off.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: Cowboy, Yes, National Football League season will come out on Thursday night, September fourth, the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 6: Are you ready for something football? How sweet as that?
Speaker 7: Let's go love those horns?
Speaker 8: Yes, you know they're they're the uh you know it's the average white band horns.
Speaker 2: I guess great horns. Great horns instead.
Speaker 3: A throwback to the Commodoores.
Speaker 8: Oh they're after commodoors, but they can't okay, slay their fucking music by uh huh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they had horns, an average white band or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they had horns. They had horns. They were known for the horns.
Speaker 3: Well, here we are, it's a Monday. A schedule releases on Wednesday night. We've got football players on the football field as a off season program continues here, and we know it's the Cowboys and the Eagles on Wednesday night or Thursday night, September fourth. Man, that should be on the first game, the first game.
Speaker 7: The first Yes, be on the video boards, just says Eagles. Right, what else do you need to get jacked up? On May twelfth?
Speaker 3: May twelfth, it's going to be there.
Speaker 7: No, no, no Super Bowl champions right right?
Speaker 2: What was that thinking? All right? So I got.
Speaker 3: Well, I got a thought. Right, so you know the Eagles, they they're rubbing their hands together, they unveil their banner with the Cowboys coming in there. Sure, so I've got an idea even more Wait wait wait, wait, wait wait he's I've got an idea.
Speaker 2: What's the idea.
Speaker 3: It's got a little uniform adjustment here where one.
Speaker 7: Of your nineteen ninety five uniform.
Speaker 3: Five five world champion patches go on the uniform or the opener against the Eagles.
Speaker 8: That would be a gaudy uniform stuff all over the place, see the numbers.
Speaker 7: And somehow and somehow you got to get Drew Pearson involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, it'd be good.
Speaker 2: We'd have to give him curnity if he goes to the game.
Speaker 7: Which, by the way, he is, I'm gonna see him on Saturday. He's the guest at the East East Dallas Exchange Club. Yeah, they do their fundraiser Saturday and he's the special guest. Nice, so I might have to poke him a little bit.
Speaker 8: I couldn't make it too. They had a little lunch and sometimes the guys get together. Yeah, and on Friday they had a nice little lunch. I don't know where they went, but yeah, they they had a good time because I had the follow the text thread and they were still continuing the conversation that they had while eating on the text thread.
Speaker 2: So it was almost like.
Speaker 7: Brad usually does the interview with the guy. So I'm sure that he'll poke the bear. Uh. But yeah, I think I think Brian Schottenheimer should be celebrating that they get to do this. Yes and all, He's got to tell them Eagles as those players walk out onto this field today, Yes, off seasons are the Eagles on their mind as they continue there. They should be on their mind every day between now and the end of training camp.
Speaker 8: Let's not give them too much credit now, I mean, we get just the Eagles.
Speaker 2: We're done but we too.
Speaker 7: You got to play again.
Speaker 2: We've got to play another game.
Speaker 7: When you got the commanders come in, we got.
Speaker 2: Stuff to do.
Speaker 7: Man. Well, so here's the sober thought. You remember the last time the Cowboys opened the season against the Eagles, it was Dave Campo's coach you head coaching debut in two thousand.
Speaker 2: Was that the pickle juice? Yes, it was.
Speaker 7: It was like one hundred degrees at Texas Stadium.
Speaker 2: And they handled the heat way better than.
Speaker 7: We because because they drank pickle juice, they didn't cramp up?
Speaker 2: Did we didn't?
Speaker 8: You know, our modern methods didn't help us because everyone else was hot.
Speaker 2: We don't have any pickle juice. Oh well, damn, the game is over.
Speaker 3: That seemed like we've never played in heat before.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, bottom line on pickle juice, it does work.
Speaker 2: It does work.
Speaker 7: So I did it during a bike ride and I cramped up, and I got to the stop and they had pickle juice there, and I drank it and my cramps cleared up.
Speaker 2: And there's a reason they had picklej is there. Yeah. Yeah, they just happened to.
Speaker 8: Be there, like somebody was just having hot dogs and hamburgers. And oh, listen, pickle juice left. No, it was brought there for the heat.
Speaker 7: They said, do you want water? I go, No, I need pickled juice.
Speaker 3: For those of you who are long time listeners of Mixed Shots and listening to Mickey Spagnola, it usually always comes back to a bike ride for him.
Speaker 8: Well, he has to show you some way that he's somewhat of an athlete. You just covering athletes.
Speaker 7: A few too many times.
Speaker 3: You can't mention an Achilles injury without no worry about I.
Speaker 7: Know about Achilles. So the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: I can hear the Achilles story anytime we bring up Achilles.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys on September third got beat by Philadelphia forty one.
Speaker 3: Fourteen September third, two thousand, Yes, almost twenty five years to the day later.
Speaker 7: That's right. Was that Andy Reid's first game as their head coach. I think it might have been about when he We're going to look that up for you, keep talking, when he when he started. Now they've they've played. This will be their second Thursday season opener.
Speaker 3: No, it was not what do you mean, No, it's not his Philadelphia nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 7: Okay, I was off, so he was. He was a veteran coach by one year with the Eagles.
Speaker 8: So when they do come in here, are they going to bring up when we go there, are they going to bring the tush push?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the other thing we're about to get about. The resolution on that coming up here in the next week.
Speaker 7: Right because the meetings they're probably going to vote on it, and.
Speaker 2: The meetings of this week.
Speaker 7: I believe it's either this week or next Ala.
Speaker 3: Say it's twenty May twenty something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're they're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: The Eagles are still going to be good on quarterback sneaks even if you get rid of the toush push.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 8: My thing is, why complain about the tush push? Why don't you just do yourn? Why doesn't everyone adapt it? I don't understand it's it's it's.
Speaker 7: Well, they don't have to outlaw the tush push. They need to outlaw pushing in general. Like when the ball's five yards downfield and then here comes all the offensive linemen shoving that that's ridiculous. That's what they need, not the tush push. That bs. This ain't Australian rules football, rugby or rugby either.
Speaker 2: One rugby.
Speaker 7: I like, so anyway we know that.
Speaker 2: Now we.
Speaker 7: What what would be the big thing we need?
Speaker 2: Oh? I know what it is? Yeah, I'm sure you do.
Speaker 7: The Jets have to play host to the Cowboys and they have a game in London scheduled. Okay, so could the Cowboys be their opponent? Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, now okay, let's see, so you're speculating. I just just be playing in London against the Jets. They have what we preview.
Speaker 8: I'm pretty sure if they were going to London this season, we'd already know about it right now, because they haven't.
Speaker 7: They haven't ann they announced who's hosting.
Speaker 3: Now they are announcing before the Wednesday night release and one of the either tomorrow morning or the next morning. They are announcing all of the international international games. Yeah, so we would would know that that prior to Wednesday.
Speaker 7: That might be too much if they get both right, you'll have a seat on the plane, right, yeah, big time?
Speaker 3: What about you will the UH to London?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's gonna k I.
Speaker 3: Would probably be going to pull right. I didn't go the last time they played in London. And I don't want to talk about London much because it's probably not gonna happen. I don't want to give the impression that I just threw it.
Speaker 2: Out there, right, Okay, you had me going, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The issue is now, how to the Jets and filling up their stadium for home games? Mm hmm with what they've got this year on their team.
Speaker 7: It's New York.
Speaker 3: I mean, do they have an issue for fall? You don't want to play? You don't want to give up a home game against the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think the Jet fans come there just to boo the Jets. That's the way it seems, even fill it up with just Jet fans.
Speaker 2: Mad.
Speaker 7: You know, it's New York and they have an advantage flying over there because they're three hours closer. You got to think about it. We'll spot three hour flight to New York, isn't it too?
Speaker 8: But would they if you fly from there, you go up to New York and then to London you go over you know?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Do you do you happen to have We're going to complete our little schedule preview right here in this segment. Okay, So we aren't going to attack it any further because we got much bigger things.
Speaker 7: Well, look about, let me throw this out Okay, So the Eagles swept the Cowboys last year, and so the last time they beat the Cowboys in three straight games was the end of the two thousand and three season. In both games in two thousand and four, with Vinnie testa Verdi and quarterback, they won three straight thirty six, ten, forty nine, twenty one and twelve seven.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought you were going to go back to the eighties.
Speaker 7: No, there's there's eighty eight, eighty nine in ninety involved there where the streak's probably maybe even longer. But that's the last time they lost three straight to the Eagles.
Speaker 3: Okay, As where we complete our little schedule preview segment here, I think we need to review who the Cowboys are playing at home and who they are playing on the road this year, just to give you to so you can visualize what's going to be announced.
Speaker 7: And with Bill heading into that, I saw where the Eagles have to play eleven games against twenty twenty four playoff teams game so first place schedule of course, have at it.
Speaker 3: Ok Cowboys of course with a third place schedule this year. All right, aside from the NFC East opponents, the home games for the Cowboys and this year, You've got three six eight home games, so you play one more road game with a seventeen game schedule this year, which means you'll have two home preseason games. Okay, aside from the three NFC East rivals, the Cowboys will be hosting the Packers, Chiefs, Chargers, Vikings, and Cardinals. That's a rather salty home schedule.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 3: Packers, Chiefs, Chargers, Vikings and Cardinals. If you break that down into quarterbacks, it's Jordan Love, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert, J J. McCarthy, and Kyler Murray. Okay, road games aside from the NFC East at Caleb Williams and the Bears at bow Nicks, and the Broncos at Jared Goff and the Lions at Geno Smith, and the Raiders at Justin Fields, and the Jets, you think at Rice Young and the Panthers Carolina again, yes, Carolina again. So the Cowboys are and the NFC East is playing the AFC West as well as the NFC North.
Speaker 7: This year, so they got to go to Vegas.
Speaker 3: That's right on to Vegas, and so by virtue of the third place schedule, the three games that the Cowboys have that are wild card games that aren't that what everyone else is playing in the division. It's the Cardinals at home, it's the Jets and the Panthers on the road. That's what you get from being a third place steam rather than a first place team. Cardinals at home, Jets and Panthers on the road. That's an advantage there.
Speaker 7: So that means the Eagles have to play first place team in the got the Mill West right, I was going back, Okay, sorry, and then they've got so they got the.
Speaker 3: Rams, the Rams and the so the Rams was the NFC West right, right, and then they've got the Bills from the AFC East right.
Speaker 7: No, you never said Buffalo.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying for the Eagles.
Speaker 7: Oh oh yeah, yeah, yeah, sorry, And.
Speaker 3: Then Tampa Bay won the NFC South right.
Speaker 7: Which Tampa Bay is the last time the Cowboys opened the season on Thursday, they played the Bucks when they were Super Bowl champs, and before that it would have been a Thursday they were playing the Giants, but the Democratic National Convention was on Thursday, so they moved that opener to Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Did we win that in Tampa No?
Speaker 7: No, thirty one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they won.
Speaker 7: The uh so, oh this was before your time? They ope, nothing was before our time.
Speaker 2: They opened not much be for five hours.
Speaker 7: They had openers against Philadelphia previously, not only two thousand and seventy six, seventy two.
Speaker 3: They opened before ever since time as a cowboy, not before time as a human.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he might have been peeking over the fence at that.
Speaker 8: Time, probably was peaking right over the standing on the hood.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So there's your history.
Speaker 3: Okay, very good, and there is your schedule release preview. Oh I got one other note on that Cowboys on Thanksgiving will be that game is this year being televised on CBS, no.
Speaker 7: Way, seriously, and they they flipped that's.
Speaker 3: Right, CBS to Fox, which give team. But traditionally, you know, CBS has been the AFC, and so you would think if they follow tradition, it would be the Chiefs or the Chargers at the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. But they pretty much thrown that out the window. In many respects. It's still you get more AFC for the CBS, But as far as Thanksgiving is concerned, we'll see. I would think so if you're the network or the NFL and you're deciding, okay, Chiefs at Cowboys or Chargers at Cowboys. If those are your two choices on Thanksgiving Day, which would.
Speaker 2: It be Chiefs?
Speaker 3: It would be except I would think that a network might want that Chiefs Cowboys game for a Sunday night game NBC or a Monday night game. And so that's why I think if it is an AFC team, I think it.
Speaker 2: Might be better than no Sunday Night.
Speaker 3: It depends on the pecking order. Here's the deal you've got. It's basically a pecking order where the networks they've got their priorities on Okay, I want that game or I want that game whatever, and so a network might say, NBC might say, you know what, I want Kansas City and Dallas, and so they put that not higher up on the pecking order, not on which that would not be on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: I would rather have it.
Speaker 3: Well, but one of the things, like for CBS, is you're going to get your ratings anyway anyway on Thanksgiving and so, and the NFL has to look at that too, and so, and it's not a bad game the Chargers, and.
Speaker 7: That's why it might be Minnesota.
Speaker 3: And so it could be an NFC team. But anyway, just throw that out.
Speaker 7: But from a historical standpoint, Cowboy Chiefs on Thanksgiving means the old tech Dallas Texans, Yes, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean if that doesn't have a Thanksgiving field, you.
Speaker 3: Can't go you know, you're really on the whether it's the NFC Steams or I mean you look at that home skout.
Speaker 7: You can't, you can't, you can't go wrong with and they could play up the Preston Road Trophy to playing the Chiefs. Really yeah, because the Hunts live down the street from.
Speaker 3: All Right, So there is your schedule release preview. Now we get next segment. We get to the big store in the past week, and that would be no longer slim picking see wide receiver for the Cowboys. Who would come back?
Speaker 9: Oh, Cowboys football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 2: What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff?
Speaker 9: Tailgate's going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes farted by Monday morning, Swang brisky in the smoker Miller Light and the two America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miliberal and Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 7: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti store?
Speaker 4: Letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 10: All right, folks, let's get started with the Yeddy French Press and Jeore Calvery. This stay's hot frivers and French Press thirty four ans for U six four with the cruise of yetty French Press.
Speaker 7: What mixed waterproof bags?
Speaker 10: Bags of waterproofs some versa wa waterproof, double's waterprove bag bags sports mostly water should get a waterproove Yetti bag. Gont smell something cooking new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, cobberce, pot pine and potatoes. Next over with three sizes of the Yetti cast iron skillers.
Speaker 3: Gear gifts and product experts.
Speaker 4: Visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square Today.
Speaker 11: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust Blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Ruscott kids for the first down.
Speaker 11: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookian crypto with blockchain dot com.
Speaker 5: Perfect grow my goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 11: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 4: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Demic shuts.
Speaker 8: Get excited for the most dazzling DCC experience yet. Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders on tour coming to a theater near you. Witness live performances, enjoy on stage Q and A sessions, and even be part of a live audition. If you're in Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Midland, or l Passo.
Speaker 2: Mark your calendar for dates and tickets.
Speaker 8: Visit Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders dot com slash tour.
Speaker 3: All right, time to dive into the week that was here at the Star in Frasco. We're gonna steer Mickey away from the ACM Awards because he's got stories to tell about that. We're gonna get to the big story of.
Speaker 7: The last or the Dallas Stars.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we made it feel a whole segment without Mickey talking about the Stars.
Speaker 7: Hey, Tyler Booker was there.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was.
Speaker 3: Wait to see that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, in uniform, waving of tall he's smart in me.
Speaker 2: I like him.
Speaker 7: He already endeared himself to every hand in Dallas.
Speaker 3: You know he's if he had in a Stars sweater, it's what he was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, he was city in uniform.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, uh, Producer supreme always keeping you on guard there, what's that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: I didn't think you have to point that out. That was not that wasn't nice of you.
Speaker 7: Let me thank you the moment because I was there, by the way, I seen it.
Speaker 3: All right, Go, have you seen George Pickens here at the Star in Frisco yet? No?
Speaker 7: Because I didn't realize he was in the PR offices when he did his conference call, and I was sitting at my desk listening to it. I didn't realize he was right next door. Oh yeah, he was right next door to me.
Speaker 2: And you're a.
Speaker 3: Reporter, you said, yes, Okay, you say your reporter.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: They were talking about having a press conference, but I think with the ACM Awards.
Speaker 7: That night, it's going to make it difficult and different for people to get here in park. Yea, lady, it's.
Speaker 3: The biggest issue parking. Okay, So listening to us, that's right, Because if you listened to us last week, and we were on Tuesday last week, we were lamenting the fact that this team needed to make a move for a wide receiver too in the worst kind of way, and within twenty four hours they did that. Yeah, but was it in the worst kind of way?
Speaker 8: It was in the worst kind of way. I know for me, it was if I recalled last week that this I just knew that this was not the group that we can go with.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: We were trying to figure out ways, uh to finagle our roster to where we could put the running back out there, put Blue out there right, put them on the slot at least that was my suggestion using them wove. Now we're looking at a lot of different things we can do. We're looking at a lot of different things we can do running back, wide receiver combos, tight end running back combos. We're talking about confusing a lot of defenses out there and put a lot of fear into some DV.
Speaker 7: One thing we didn't point out. And I'm sure it was in the back of their mind. What in the world if they had done nothing? What if CD got hurt? Yeah, who's your.
Speaker 3: I think that was probably in the front of their mind, not the back of their mind.
Speaker 2: Well, and I didn't even think that. I just I didn't need we needed more.
Speaker 3: I think you always should. You always have to look at every position that way. What if that guy gets hurt? Then you listen to Bill Parcell's press conferences, he would say that all the time.
Speaker 8: I must admit, I never think that way, And you're right, you should think that way. And I never thought that way, but you should, I agree with.
Speaker 3: That's the number one thing is you're putting a roster together. It's okay, what if I lose that guy?
Speaker 7: And then what so your thoughts on pickings?
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 8: I love the talent, no doubt about it. And I think, you know, this is pretty predictable of what I'm going to say. I saw last year the first At that time, I saw the first chink in his armor. He seemed to have a bad attitude, and I think at the time things were going pretty well in Pittsburgh when he started to have these issues with either the team or with the media. And I recall one incident where he was sitting in the weight room and he wouldn't do interviews, but he was just sitting in there by himself. I don't know what had happened at that time. Did he and Russell Wilson get into it. I have no idea what that was all about. I'm hoping whatever it was, that it's over. But at that time he had an attitude issue, and if I'm not mistaken, that has a lot to do with why Pittsburgh was able to put him in the rearview mirror gladly. So whatever whatever was happening, then there don't bring that here. You know, Let this be you opportunity for a fresh start. You know, it helped me moving from Dallas to New York. Everything the narrative on me changed when I went to New York. Let's let that happened for him here, because he's stepping into a good situation to where you still got damn good quarterback here. You've got a brand new start with this entire team, a new coaching staff, all of that is going on right now.
Speaker 2: You can be a part of that resurgence here at the start. Let's hope that's how he looks at this.
Speaker 7: How but from a talent standpoint.
Speaker 8: Talent standpoint, you can't beat it. I wouldn't say that he's better than CD, but I would say he's damn good, and I would say he'd be probably the best number two receiver you can have in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Did you look into your big Green?
Speaker 3: So a choice of him or Amari Cooper? Was that kind of what the choice came down to, probably because a Cooper was the guy in free agency that would be available.
Speaker 2: But I think they're going with youth here.
Speaker 7: The price was twenty eight versus thirty thirty one, probably forty one or three two, and the cap hit.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight? Where are you getting twenty eight?
Speaker 7: Who did I sit twenty eight?
Speaker 3: You said twenty eight versus twenty four? Twenty four. Yeah, yeah, I mean you're talking eight year difference probably and well to it.
Speaker 7: And you're probably talking eight million dollars different too, because miners standing.
Speaker 3: For this one season. But you are paying the price of a third round draft.
Speaker 7: So what's the price of a third and a fifth? You get a six back. Hey, here's a guy on a one year deal. You know how you get your third round draft pick back?
Speaker 3: Compensatory if you know, No, you get your third round draft pick back, just like the Cowboys have done in the draft just last year. In the draft where you trade down five spots in the first round, you pick up a third round pick. That's how you get the third round or back. So people talk about the third round. Oh, give me up a third round pick. That's a high price to pay. No, it's your move back five spots. I mean, let's say you have a decent year and you got the twenty fourth pick, just like two years ago, you had a twelve win season. Of the twenty fourth pick, you moved down to twenty nine, and now you've got a starting center as well as a starting tackle.
Speaker 7: And since it's in the future, it doesn't hurt like had you done that two weeks ago you would have said, oh my god. But now it's in twenty twenty six, and then the fifth is twenty twenty seven. And the difference is he counts three point six million against your cap. Marie Cooper was looking for double.
Speaker 3: Digits, so I'll see how he's going to get that.
Speaker 7: And I don't. Well, that's why he's locked there, And.
Speaker 3: Because the market for those veteran wide receivers right now is, you know, five or six million dollars a.
Speaker 7: Well, until somebody that this juncture and fred receiver hurt, and then that's why he's over there. You go, yeah, so the cap hit, and I know it's only one year, but what if you know, you never know. But again, if he has a good year and he goes into free agency, you're going to get a fourth back for sure if he has a good year. So from his standpoint, I'm guarantee you when he went up and talked to Jerry Jones after the conference call, Jerry'll welcome him and then I'll say, hey, look, you're in the last year of your contract. You got an opportunity to market yourself if you have a good year. And I'm sure he was told that we're not putting up with any monkey buss.
Speaker 3: I immediately got an email from his PR people, just a friendly little hey, we represent George Pickens and anytime you guess, if you want to do anything with George, just give us a holler.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So they're playing playing that game here as they should.
Speaker 7: And somebody talked to him, and I guarantee you before he did the conference call, Schottenheimer talked to him. Okay, it was a twelve minute conference call. Six times he mentioned being a part of a winning culture. Now where do you think that came from? The head coach? Talk to him right when I heard that. It's like, oh, you moved Michael Parson's locker next to Dak. How about the other side. It's open. Put him there and let him see what Dak does. You know, CDs find everybody's worried about. Oh, they're going to have troubles spreading the ball around. This guy's got to mind himself. He's making as a base salary the most he's made in his career. This is his fourth year, last year in his rookie contract. If he wants a big, multi year deal, he's got to have a good season and to have a good season. You got to mind your p's and q's.
Speaker 8: At twenty four years old, that will not fall on deaf ears.
Speaker 2: I don't believe.
Speaker 7: I don't think so easy.
Speaker 2: Old.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if he's a little bit older, then he might come in with say, I make right right, I'm okay, I've.
Speaker 2: Done this, I've done that.
Speaker 8: But I think last year, as he reflected back on how he acted, pretty sure he feels I can't. I can't bring that here, right, I can't bring that to whatever team I'm going to. First of all, you know, Mike Thomas hell of a coach. I'm surprised that he was. He felt that there was right to do what he did there because Mike Thomas a hell of a coach and we always talk about how he brings the best out of his players, So that that was a baffling thing for me. For him to act that way to a coach that's damn good coach, and I'm sure was very direct with him. I'm pretty sure here we're going to be just as direct. We don't have time for lack of communication or miscommunication. This is the time for you and this organization to get back to where we need to be. And it's a resurgence time for not just him, but for this organization as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 7: I heard his impression here was really good. What people thought of them. So maybe you mentioned pr people his agent. They talk to him and go, hey, this is really important that you fit in right. And and when I kept hearing the winning culture, and he did it on his own, you know. And that's kind of how he was answering questions. And he may not said a lot, but what he said he didn't overstep his bounds. He didn't cause any problems. So to start off, which caused me, what what did you say? Your thing was about slim pickings. My headline and my my column for Friday was let's give Pickens a chance, So peace pickings. I just wanted to make sure anyway now here.
Speaker 2: That's why he's.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 7: That's the other thing. And what the cowboys were looking for. Remember Schottenheimer said, we need some juice. I don't know that Amari Cooper gives you juice, right, gives you a good possession receiver. I think your big green notebook would tell you. I looked it up that his forty times when he was at the combine was four four seven then I saw this stat Since twenty nineteen, the Cowboys have not had a wide receiver with at least fifty catches averaging at least fifteen yards a catch. This guy averaged sixteen point three over his three years with Pittsburgh. Then this other stat popped up that they were at however accurate. This is they were totally reception yards on vertical routes since twenty twenty two when he came in the league. Number one Tyreek Hill, number two Justin Jefferson, number three George Pickens.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 7: So he had sixteen one, six hundred and thirty yards in those three years on vertical route. Somebody can get down the field. So it goes back to what we were talking about. You got c. D. Lamb on one side, you got him on the other side. If you put Cavante Turpin in the slot and you put Blue at running back, now who you doubling? Right? And you're not going to cover Blue in a in a pass route with a linebacker, right, because that's usually what happens. Right, It's got to be at least the safety.
Speaker 8: And let's let's not forget about Ferguson, and that I do not forget about This is going to open up the game for him as well. Right, I hope he's gotten this stuff together as far as his blocking, and as you know, it seemed like he was a little discombobulated last year.
Speaker 2: This should give him a chance to settle back.
Speaker 8: Down the way he was two years ago, when he seemed to have everything under control, when he was that guy that wanted to just go hurt somebody and going to go out there and be dangerous.
Speaker 2: I forget how he said it.
Speaker 8: This gives him an opportunity to show what he can do as well. Everyone's going down the field. The intermediate routes they belonged to the running back and they belonged to the tight end. That's going to be a really nice checkdown for Dak Prescott.
Speaker 7: So there should be options there. And I went back and look last year, not counting CD, the other wide receivers, Jalen Brooks averaged fourteen point eight yards of catch. He had twelve catches the year before, Gallop twelve point three, and he had thirty four catches in twenty twenty two. The highest the highest average in twenty twenty two on seven catches was Hilton seventeen point two. I forgot you why Wilton I didzoo?
Speaker 6: Yeah, how many catches?
Speaker 7: Seven? And he had seventeen point two And then in twenty twenty one Cedric Wilson thirteen point four on forty five, and twenty twenty Gallup again fourteen to three on fifty nine. So none of these other receivers ever got more than fifteen yards a catch, and that includes CD by the way, So maybe they got somebody to stretch the field, which will open up the running game.
Speaker 2: Take the cap, Take the cap.
Speaker 7: Now, the offensive line's got to perform, right, So but anyway, I think that was in the back of their mind. Also they took into consideration how badly they probably needed that.
Speaker 3: So as far as the reputation coming here, yes, how many times in the history of sports have you seen guys who have a certain reputation in one city on planning for one team, it comes to a new team and it's a different situation.
Speaker 2: Happens all the time.
Speaker 3: It happens all the.
Speaker 7: Time, like it's not poison.
Speaker 3: Well, and most recently in our city, Kyrie Irving, I mean Kyrie Irving has fit in here in Dallas.
Speaker 8: Where everyone had has that leisure, everyone has that legia about you know, some of the things that was said and that he believed in things of that nature that he he professed.
Speaker 3: To and and he's been a model person here.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent.
Speaker 8: He you know, Luca goes down. He's still trying to hang in there and take this team to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: I go back in history. What do you think think they were saying about this Everson Wallas guy in New York when you know he got at odds with this Jimmy Johnson did at getting Here's a guy, he's a malcolontent. He fraternizes with players, and why wouldn't want him on.
Speaker 8: You as Sometimes it's just the player and the head coach. I talked about, you know, Mike Thomas. Much as I think he's a great coach, obviously there's something there between those two guys that didn't click. I don't think I've ever seen a player have a problem with Mike Thomas. He did, that doesn't mean he's going to have a problem here. Not automatic.
Speaker 3: Why was des Bryant the twenty fifth pick in the draft? Why was he still available late in the first round because there was a reputation there that he's son coach Bull or whatever it might be. And he was fine here, you know, more than fine.
Speaker 7: Because everybody wanted to point out his his background. And I remember it was maybe the day after the draft. I was talking to Michael Irvin and if anybody knows DEA's background, it was tough growing up Lufkin and he went through He went through a lot as a young kid, right, And just to sum it up, I found out that he never had his own room at home to sleep in until he was in the dorm at Oklahoma State because he lived with many different people. And Michael Irvin told me, he goes this kid should be applauded because most kids that went through what he did growing up were either dead or in jail, and that he made it to this point. And Michael was right, because I mean, he knew about tough ways growing up and so you know.
Speaker 2: Well it made him tough. Yeah, that's what gave him to be solved.
Speaker 8: That he had everyone that goes through tough things that are not broken, and des was not broken. You know, he just had that attitude of a guy that came from there. And sometimes that intimidates people because they don't know how to talk to a person like that. But he's just a guy that wanted to play ball, and damn he was good at it.
Speaker 7: And you think about it until Teo got his money. He was fine. Then he got paid, and then the Prima Donna came out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, everybody gets paid, doesn't start acting weird.
Speaker 7: And you know what, I used to call this wide receiver group the unreceiver group because nobody was, you know, boisterous or I need this or I need that car the at these were the nicest guys ever.
Speaker 3: So what does a guy like this bring to just the confidence level?
Speaker 8: Cos I love his cockiness. You know, it's good to have confide this and de brash about it. You know, he's just a little he's a little more animated than most. CD is more cool with his but he's cocky as well. And I would love to see these guys on the same team together. I can't wait to see him on the same field together. I'm hoping. And I'm pretty sure we've been through enough here to where the wide receivers understand that their group is probably based on the quarterback that you have. Besides that offensive line, their group is probably the most important group on this team.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 7: I don't know what you guys think of Deontae Johnson. He was probably the best wide receiver he was paired with the Steelers. So CD is going to be the absolute best wide receiver he's worked with, no doubt. They had Kelvin Austin was a fourth round pick, and then I think last year it was Van Jefferson who had thirty six catch thirty six catches.
Speaker 2: I think no.
Speaker 7: Twenty four catches. Austin had thirty six. So he was the guy they who if you're playing Pittsburgh, who you who you designating? We got to take care of this guy, right, So he's in the best situation.
Speaker 3: He brought Mike Williams into it, didn't they did they have last year? Last year or some He came in late in the year, but it's late last half.
Speaker 2: That's when they were flailing. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So and Dak will be the best quarterback he's played with true hands down. So if he's got a scent, any sense, he knows he's in a really good situation, and he acted like it in that conference call. Now it's easy to do a conference right, but you know, the things he said were what he should have said. So to me, he listened to Schottenheimer.
Speaker 8: I'm hoping they understand he and Ceedee Lamb understand what they.
Speaker 2: Can do here together.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they got to understand that they can make it can be game changes, man, with.
Speaker 2: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: You can be a game chamber with the changer with this team. With the draft that we just had and the talent. He's young, he's very young. So with the talent that we have for a lot of young talent here right on this team. Now, man, they have an opportunity to really do some great things.
Speaker 2: It reminds me a lot of the Detroit situation. You know when when.
Speaker 8: Campbell first got there. They have this opportunity to really do something great here.
Speaker 3: And they got some juice on their offense.
Speaker 2: Now they do.
Speaker 3: Okay, we continue with mixed shots in just a moment, and a former Cowboy finds a new home when we come back.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail, Gay party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 2: Pruscott slides for the first.
Speaker 11: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Perthquick throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 11: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk ex's and o's with me Everson Walls with Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 9: Today Cowboys football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday Night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Briskut and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Cool America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 7: De vic shuts.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 8: The twenty twenty five Dallas Cowboys schedule is officially here and limited tickets are available.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: Get ready to bring the noise as you watch the Dallas Cowboys live at AT and T Stadium when they host NFC East Rivals, Eagles, Giants and Commanders plus the Packers, Chiefs, Chargers, Vikings and Cardinals. Visit Dallascowboys dot com, Slash tickets or sea geek dot com, the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, we continue with mixed Shatz. Last ten minutes or so, and uh, former Cowboy Jalen Smith has found a new home. He signs. He tries out with the Raiders over the weekend, and he is signing with the Las Vegas Raiders. Must have been a good workout, yes, must have been. One thing to note on that you remember. After Jalen left the Cowboys, he spent some time with the New York Giants. Patrick Graham is the defensive cord with the Raiders, and so he would have coached and he used to be defensive coordinator with the Giants, so he would have coached Jalen in New York.
Speaker 2: So there he is. Do you think I have no idea?
Speaker 3: But apparently it's well enough that he passed the physical and passed a tryout, and so now he's getting an opportunity with the Raiders after not playing last year.
Speaker 2: The entire season.
Speaker 7: And I take eighty seven back because that's Ferguson's number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that looks like a number.
Speaker 3: Do you think anyone knows what you're talking about right now?
Speaker 7: Oh? Did I not say that this? Oh? I'm sorry you didn't you bring up the number?
Speaker 3: I did, but it was a break.
Speaker 7: Do you expect me to remember all this stuff?
Speaker 2: It was before he went to Tinkle.
Speaker 3: No, I went to look outside, sorry to see if I saw a number on the practice field. And I did not see a number on the practice field.
Speaker 8: But what's you want to give? Give him some number? What are we're trying to give him? What we're trying to give George.
Speaker 3: Well Pickens has been wearing fourteen, But that's Marquise Bell has fourteen.
Speaker 7: Zero through ten. The only ones open is eight, and he's probably not getting an eight. And then from eleven to twenty is seven out there Diggs.
Speaker 3: Diggs is seven right, and then from you play off, he doesn't play defits.
Speaker 2: No, we can we do the college.
Speaker 7: Eleven numbers eleven through twenty, only ones available.
Speaker 2: Twelve.
Speaker 3: He ain't wearing twelve.
Speaker 2: There's a reason that's available now.
Speaker 7: In the eighties eighty through ninety, only ones available eighty two. It's not a bad they're not getting I'm giving.
Speaker 3: They're not giving Witton's number to them.
Speaker 6: They're not righting written I forgot when he forgets Witten.
Speaker 2: Now you gotta go back to to bail.
Speaker 8: I make Marquis Ball a very handsome offer. And I was getting number fourteen. And if I'm not if I'm bail.
Speaker 6: There's actually two guys in fourteen right now.
Speaker 2: By the way, who is that?
Speaker 6: Josh Kelly is also in fourteen. He's a rookie drafted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a rookie.
Speaker 12: And by the way, there's another seven too. There's two people in seven right now.
Speaker 3: And I just saw one of them who Trey Shawn Holden hold as well.
Speaker 2: They don't count. They do not count.
Speaker 3: That's who I just saw on the field.
Speaker 8: They do not Yes, no, they I had twenty seven as an undrafted rookie free agent, so no, that is not it.
Speaker 7: Well, I don't see any numbers available.
Speaker 8: Well, you've gotta have fourteen. Gotta have fourteen. You gotta have fourteen.
Speaker 7: East Bell be forty one.
Speaker 8: And Marquis Bell is coming off of an injury. And if I were him and pickings were able, that was willing to give me money. I'm gonna take that money, and I'm gonna say, you know what, you can have fourteen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but some of these guys along you have.
Speaker 6: To then you have to move two numbers in one in that room.
Speaker 7: Some of these guys are going to Mickey.
Speaker 3: You don't have to limit him to numbers one through nineteen or eighty through eighty nine.
Speaker 6: They can.
Speaker 3: It's an open field now where wide receivers can wear all the way up to number forty nine. So you can go off the wall and put him and give it. Put him in.
Speaker 8: A on MS Roston. Fourteen is the number for him.
Speaker 3: You're not going to put him in twenty two.
Speaker 6: His number in college was one.
Speaker 3: He was number one in college, and so that's Jalen Tolbert's number so.
Speaker 7: He can make some money. I'm trying to see guys that aren't going to make the team.
Speaker 8: Waukee's belt is he's coming off of injury and he's going to sell his jersey.
Speaker 7: Didn't they already? Did they release Seth Williams? Yes, they did, so, thirteen's open.
Speaker 3: Thirteen is available.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thirteen's not bad.
Speaker 7: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: Not bad, though, you're going to put him in thirteen?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're going to show we're not superstitious. Let's see here, we're going to solve this right, all right?
Speaker 3: What else is on your legal pad? Well? I figure out what number he's going to get.
Speaker 7: Ah, you know, I think we've about filled it up.
Speaker 2: What's overshown? What's his number? Zero?
Speaker 5: Zero?
Speaker 7: Now he's zero him and Rowdy Mackey.
Speaker 6: Rowdy's double zero.
Speaker 3: He's double zero. Rowdy's doubles.
Speaker 7: Shame on me for not paying attention.
Speaker 6: I'm just letting you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thirteen, thirteen is a good number. But I would I would. I promise you I would go fourteen, and I would go hard at Marquise Bell.
Speaker 7: Who's five Brian Ainger, Oh that's right.
Speaker 3: He's your punter and he's got seniority. Yes, like fourteen years of the league. Yeah, I would go fourteen.
Speaker 8: Just pay for it, buddy, just pay for it. I mean to take that money and he'll take another jersey. He looks good in any in any number, I would.
Speaker 6: Go to two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: One is had that for like what a couple of months? Yeah, because that was Jordan Lewis right. So when Jordan left, he jumped into two.
Speaker 2: Who jumped into two one?
Speaker 3: Thomas?
Speaker 7: Yes, and for a safety number forty one still open.
Speaker 8: Yeah, fourteen is the way to go, guys, I take fourteen or thirteen.
Speaker 7: You don't want two?
Speaker 8: Two's not bad, ain't bad too, ain't bad at all. So no, he's got some choices. He's got some choices. It's up to him.
Speaker 3: The eighty numbers don't work for him, not right, No, No, it slows him down.
Speaker 2: Too heavy.
Speaker 6: Two's a real light number, light on the that's too much.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like wearing black high tops and basketball.
Speaker 12: I would say I would go hard at Jaalen Tober for that old college number.
Speaker 3: You know, say, hey, you know, so, what's Jalen gonna wear?
Speaker 6: Then he figured out thirteen. Michael gallops old.
Speaker 8: Michael Marque's bell would look good in a forty plus number.
Speaker 2: It'll make him look bigger.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's why linebackers he should wear big numbers in the fifties.
Speaker 8: But he's also but he's safeties also can take forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take big numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bill Bates, Yeah, that'd be nice. Charlie Waters is forty one, Cliff Harris is forty three. I like forty forty for Marquee spell Yeah, okay, lip Gey, I think it makes more. The most sense is Marque's just flipping the numbers from fourteen to forty one.
Speaker 7: There you go, you know.
Speaker 3: I think that's what we've at.
Speaker 7: We got it, okay, See we should have. We should have had Mike or Bucky on the guys in equipment. They'll tell us about Jersey, they tell us, and you can double up daring OTA's strength and condition.
Speaker 8: We have Bucket, We'll have Bucky on over here telling us all the Jerseys.
Speaker 3: Weekend right, home opener. Who's going to be against if they're opening? No, that was the the opener, the home opener. Okay, Okay, So you're opening on September fourth at Philadelphia. In all likelihood, your first home game will be Sunday, September fourteenth, it.
Speaker 2: Will be somebody out of the division. Yeah. Could they be somewhere for sure?
Speaker 3: Because you've just played a division, right, and so Cardinals Cardinals at home?
Speaker 7: And second game, Yeah, could be Minnesota, depending on what they decide for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: It could be anybody could Because the Marquee game is going to be that Thursday night, right, The Market game is going to be that Thursday night, right, and so whatever happens after that the week after, Man, if we're going to eliminate the Giants, then division games, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a Cardinals, and I don't think.
Speaker 3: They It's not going to be the Packers. It's not going to be the Chiefs or.
Speaker 8: You got You're starting off here on Thursday night. You know, now we got to kind of chill on the next week. It's going to be and I don't mean the cards bad, but as far as marketing marketing is concerned, it's going to be.
Speaker 3: It'll still be a three twenty five kickoff. So you're not noon kicking.
Speaker 7: You're probably not playing back to back division I would not say probably not playing back to back night super Bowl contenders talking about our Super Bowl participants, right, yeah, I agree, So that eliminates Kansas City Packers.
Speaker 8: No, say that, say that that's right, that's out of history to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think it's.
Speaker 7: Which you know, is another another consideration on Thanksgiving. Go back to nineteen ninety four packers Packers.
Speaker 12: Yeah, in twenty twenty one when the Cowboys played Tampa on that opener, uh huh.
Speaker 6: The following the following.
Speaker 12: Week, they were on the road again against the Chargers, if you remember correctly, So we did.
Speaker 6: Back to back road games. It could be a road.
Speaker 12: Game, yeah, it could be a road first home opener was against Philly.
Speaker 3: But if we're looking at the first home game, whether it's yeah, whether it's the fourteen.
Speaker 2: What was what was the home game, Chris?
Speaker 6: It was Philly. Okay, so it went Tampa Charge at Tampa and.
Speaker 12: That was on I think it was a Wednesday, correct, Yes, that was the thirty one, twenty nine loss to Tom Brady and then the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and then we played at the Chargers.
Speaker 6: We won that game on.
Speaker 2: A field, Sure, yeah we should.
Speaker 7: Can they can? They scheduling something easy?
Speaker 2: That's that's about as easy as you're going to get.
Speaker 7: Christian hey man.
Speaker 12: We went road, road, home home. That was the actually three home games in a row. So went two on the road and three at home. To kick off the twenty twenty one it.
Speaker 7: Would be college football.
Speaker 6: I think I thinks.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking Cardinals. Okay, Now you want to predict the preseason games. I got the Rams at the Rams. The one the one road preseason game will be in l A. Do we play the Chargers of the Rams last year in the preseason? I can't remember what.
Speaker 6: If it's Vegas we played the Rams.
Speaker 3: We played Vegas at Vegas playing, but we played at the Race. So it'll be But you play the Chargers again, why not you play the Chargers and the season, So maybe that game in l A once again will be against the Rams preseason. That would I guess, then you come back for two home games. Okay, all right, we got that figured out. I want who did I want? There's somebody that I wanted coming in here. Yeah, Cleveland, let's take let's get Cleveland coming. No, that's what I wanted. I wanted Cleveland the home games against Chadur in Cleveland, Jacksonville, and the other one was Miami because I want Quinn Yours playing.
Speaker 12: I want Jacksonville son you can see, you can see Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: Oh, Travis Hunt. Travis Hunter's not gonna play.
Speaker 12: As if he's gonna play, he's Jordan Lewis with the Jaguars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's not gonna play either. I want you guys that are gonna play. And so the home games need to be Chauduur and Quinn Yours come in here.
Speaker 8: Could you imagine preseason if he gets a preseason start.
Speaker 7: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait, wait, let me take that back. I do not want sur coming in here because I do not want a network stealing that game, right, because we are not doing that. No, I do not want that. Forget I ever said that. All right, that does it for nick shots and we will shout at you again next Monday and eleven Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.