Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We start strong hair. One of my favorite people on wall stream Lindsay Rosters with Goldman Sachs Multisector Investing. I have no idea what that means. All I want to know is in the Lindsay Roster world, we've had at least a shift, if not a jump conditioning yield. How does that change a multisector view.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, We've definitely had a big move in yields and it's happened in the past month and a half. To move forty basis points in the back end of the curve is no small thing. How does it affect our view? We've got to think about what's what's happened in the world, why do we get here? And big picture is the economy is still really strong. We have maybe slightly below trend growth in the US. We've just had a gamebuster burning season. Ten out of eleven sectors, just crushing it. Looking really good. But why are yields higher? Yields are higher because we continue to have this war conflict, questions about oil and long term inflation. We've got a FED reaction function that the market is telling the Fed. We don't know what it is, please please tell us. And you've got a lot of supply in the markets. And that's what's happened in the back end. In terms of how we're investing in our portfolio, we really aren't changing much. We haven't had any kind of large duration overweight all year. That hasn't seemed to be a place that we felt could win. Instead, we've got some structured product and a little bit of high quality, high yield, and that's where we want to be, and there's nothing that's telling us so far that we shouldn't be.
Speaker 4: How much credits do you want to be taking because and sit there at the tenure and clip a four seventy coupon, that's a decent living right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't necessarily have to do more than that if that satisfies your needs and your liabilities, for example. But when we think about the incremental spread that you can pick up in certain names that we fundamentally like, we feel confident doing that. This isn't a market though that you want to be all in, all chips on the table. You want to be, you know, slightly defensive. But we do have a posture of more risk than our benchmarks.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the FED and the market saying, you know, we need some guidance here. Do you think we'll get anything?
Speaker 2: Next week?
Speaker 4: In Jackson Hall? We'll have Tom knout there asking the tough questions. But maybe in the Q and A with Tom Okay.
Speaker 3: We got a chance there in what is the planned remarks? I don't think so. I think we're going to hear more about what these task forces are supposed to do, and the market is saying we don't.
Speaker 2: Need to hear. Can you imagine Haunts is on a task force? He sit, there's stone quiet like and then weigh in, right, where's Hatzi is now dovetailed into your view? He's you know, he's always been a realist, I'd say on GDP, does they see a pullback in real phenomenal GDP? Dovetail that into what you're doing?
Speaker 3: Lindsay, sure, so there has been predicted by Yan and team, who we obviously listen to, and is the best out there thinking that the second half will be softer. So when we're getting these prints coming in and they are softer for GDP, we are not surprised. That's been part of the forecast. Additionally, Yan and team believe that the FED will be on hold for this year. Okay, that sounds right. And the other thing that's important that he's pointed out is that inflation is coming in more benign and in fact we've seen that, which can mean that the FED can I didn't.
Speaker 2: Read it, but I knew the answer because you know, that's been yon for thirty years and that's why world class. If that's the case, can you bet yield down, price up and fixed income? That's the arch question right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you necessarily need yield down price up. You can earn the carry and I think that's it. You've got really attractive yields. And to just sit here and clip those couple.
Speaker 2: I mean for the listeners and viewers and where it's you know they're going to two year CDs, five year cd which do you extend duration?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think you can extend duration into the belly of the curve. But we are not making a recommendation to go all the way out into the thirty year point. I get, but you can't extend.
Speaker 2: I'm putting Bloomberg Money Show together for Friday, and I did the TLTs out twenty years. Yep, you really, folks. Just so I can explain this to retail America, when you go out past the Lindsay Rosner duration, there's some price change you can have, but sometimes it's it's.
Speaker 3: Op that's that's exactly right. You have more volatility in the kid. So what do you need that?
Speaker 4: What do you make of all this new supply of technology, investment grade debt into your marketings? These are issues we typically don't see, and the total dollar mounts are just huge. How's that impacting your market?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I think the market is handling it very orderly. Just to get some numbers, we've seen one point six trillion in ig issuance this year. That's up thirty four percent from where we were last year. So yes, is there more supply. Sure? When it comes to the hyperscalers, we've seen close to two hundred billion. If you think about the total AI complex, that number is more like four hundred billion. These are big numbers, but the market is taking it in stride. These deals are still over subscribed, but you are finding for this bucket of issuers that spreads are typically trading wider than like credits or like credit quality names. So I would say the market's orderly and people are excited about the story. But obviously buying the bombs of these issuers is very different than owning the equity.
Speaker 4: So I mean, I'm just assuming when people come back from labor day the summer season, they're going to be calling you guys up again and saying, hey, we've got more issues to come. I mean, and what are the questions you asked? Are they different now than maybe six months ago?
Speaker 3: Well, I think six months ago there was really a question on what is this Capex story and is it just a runaway train? And there was concerns that Capex could be something like one point seven trillion. For this group, I think we feel more confident that the numbers near one and this is again trillion with the Tea, so that much less and feeling more confident about it I think makes it more enticing to own this. But we very much think that there's going to be a lot of issuance and in our particular portfolios. We are underweight the hyperscalers and investment grade and finding ways to play AI and this space instructuring product and in high yelth okay hyperscaler.
Speaker 2: Like every single conversation, folks, there's two conversations. The mag seven equity stocks, markets should buy more Amazon and the pros are all looking at the debt build up. You have the advantage of one A line them Amanda line them at Goldman Exacts. Where's Amanda right now on the next margin kangaroo ban that these people are going to issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so very lucky to work with Amanda. Now, as I said, actually, last time I was on this.
Speaker 2: Show, did you I don't remember, Yeah, you brought it up.
Speaker 3: I think we talked about we are blonds and bonds? What could be better? That's our tagline podcast coming soon. Stay exactly, it's not the works, But what she said, I think what's been really helpful is contextualizing who's going to buy the paper and where is it going to go? And what she's been pointing out is there is a limit to how much the US regular way investment grade market can take and that she thinks the next shift will be that USIG gets saturated and had enough, it will go to private credit where there's four and a half trillion of dry powder waiting.
Speaker 2: And even it can go international and.
Speaker 3: It has actually true, that's right, right, But those are smaller markets. So it sounds like private credit is probably the next set of strong hands to take down some of this paper, which means we're not worried about the supply.
Speaker 2: Okay, Lindsay, and thank you so much with with sex Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch US Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern. Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Joining US now with an important update pre Jackson Hall of Kathleen bus Johnsick, chief economists at Nationwide to meet Kathy. The arch question is this ginormous nominal GDP into Q four and into twenty twenty seven does the animal spirit of five percent plus? Does that sustain? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Good morning, Tom. You know so our view is that both real and amal GDP going into the third quarter looks pretty solid and actually makes the prize. On the upside, we would say it's running somewhere between two and a half to three percent, mainly because we just had a lot of momentum coming out of the second quarter with the consumer and we continue to have very strong AI capex as you know. Then going towards the fourth quarter, it could get a little bit softer depending on where energy prices are. Inflation, but our view has been that inflation eases as we go through the end of the year. Now, obviously big wild card is what happens in the Middle East. But I think if you look at some of the core inflation readings, even though there's some upper pressure from AI spinning, overall, we think the tariffs start to fade, and other categories to us look rather well behaved.
Speaker 6: So, Kathy, I guess.
Speaker 4: One of the issues for the FED is they think about what to do next? Is this inflation And again we do have the energy swings that are kind of you know, hitting people in the pocketbook. But how do you guys view the underlying inflation out there in this economy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean no doubt, you know, gasoline prices, oil prices, diesel prices stay high, and elevated. It's a tax on the economy, right, So businesses, consumers, and the agricultural sector all of them feel that that tax from higher energy prices. But in terms of inflation, right, you'd actually have to see those readings keep going up at a big rate to see inflation. If they just leveled off, you're actually getting zero inflation imputus from energy. And I think aside from energy and aside from the AI build out, we're actually seeing signs of disinflation both in the service sector and the goods sector. And you know, tying that back, you know Tom's question about you know, can this all persist, like economic growth with five percent and long term yields. You know, we've been there before on the tenure yield, Like, I'm not sure that that's enough to kind of really derail us obviously, you know, we'd like to see lower rates to support the economy, but what gets hurt most from on the consumer side is higher mortgage rates. But housing has been installed anyhow, I mean, we really haven't had the housing sector participating in this economy at all.
Speaker 2: So what is your surprise is you're writing in the labor day, are we there already close I'm rushing it. I think I'm rushing it. Kathy Is, you're right into that big nationwide Labor Day report. What's your greatest mystery about the American economy? Is it like business investment?
Speaker 5: Well, business investment has really been mostly comprised by the AI build out capex, so it's just been assumed by that, right, So then it's what happens outside of that, how does the labor market fare and the consumer? Because what's going to really dictate things for the consumer is the labor market. As long as the labor market remains good enough and we're getting you know, income gains, and especially if those gains are higher than inflation, so it is key for inflation to come down because there's a point where consumer is going to have hard time just dipping into their savings.
Speaker 6: That's what we start earlier this year.
Speaker 5: That can continue a little bit.
Speaker 2: But not forever.
Speaker 5: So to me, it's it's the labor market.
Speaker 6: But also I would say, you know jackson.
Speaker 5: Whole speech with chair wars, what does he say and get any type of insight on the reaction function?
Speaker 2: It sounds like a total mystery. Kathleen bus Jhonson, thank you so much. For the quick brief. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am. He's durn Listen on applecarp and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business up, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I want to give your window to this. So Ian Lincoln is definitive on Wall Street. He's the kind of research probably more Bank of Montreal research gets stolen off Ian Lncoln's desk and anyone I know's it's sort of like a papal blessing. I mean, Ian sort of looks at it. Veil Hartman's doing all the work. How do you create your acclaimed wicked, dense eight paragraph I've got to read it twice note. How do you and Veil put that note together every day?
Speaker 7: Well, that's interesting. We do start early. That's one of the keys. We are usually on the desk by five am and we put it together over there. We'd like to get an early start. You know, what I always say is, if you're going to make a living stating the obvious, you got to be the first person to say it.
Speaker 2: Okay, but how do you put it together? I mean, do you guys sit around a desk and do it or it does like Veil write it up and you prof freedom mean.
Speaker 7: What's like Veil has all the good ideas because he's a smart one. Yeah, we'll sit there side by side and collaborate on what we think is going on and then bounce the narrative off one another. Does this make sense?
Speaker 2: What's going on with oil?
Speaker 7: This dovetail show was seen in other markets, so it's a It's collaborative for sure.
Speaker 2: I can't say enough about this research. Note and you model out in a paragraph this morning, the technical upside and yield. Explain them ramification. You say, five point fifty obviously is psychological. What happens to the other classes of assets if we get a five point fifty thirty year bond.
Speaker 7: One of the most surprising aspects of this current move is the fact that stocks still continue to set fresh record highs even with thirty year yields above let's call it five twenty five, five thirty. And more importantly, perhaps, is the fact that thirty year real rates are above three percent, and everyone seems content with this across most asset classes. I would have otherwise expected some significant pairing back of the gains it stocks because that's important to the wealth effect, and that's important.
Speaker 4: To the fac that is and I mean it's I guess the question is, have you guys identified a level of rates out there, because we've seen raps rise across the globe, not just here in the US, where that does become a problem for broader markets, or how do you guys think about that.
Speaker 7: It is a process of trial and error. It's one of those things that you'll know it once you've passed it. And that's what is So that is what's so challenging for the market at the moment. I would have thought it was five percent thirties clearly hasn't been.
Speaker 2: And just brought up folks. You know the thirty year inflation adjust at rate. What is the ramification if that shoots through the Great Financial Crisis three point four zero.
Speaker 7: If let's say we get to three point fifty, I suspect that that's when you start to see some ramifications for the equity.
Speaker 2: Market, like Dow down three thousand. I'm just making it a folks.
Speaker 6: Shocks, yes, shocks.
Speaker 7: We should be we should be back to where we are starting the year, at least in terms of the S and P five hundred taking off some of those gains. But we haven't seen that flow through, and we haven't seen the concern.
Speaker 2: So when you go into Francois, Francois has the Mondral tickets. By the way, when you go into France, what's trying and you say this, how does the respond?
Speaker 7: So he is taking the approach that the most important thing in the market at the moment is inflation. And I'll say that inflation has been relatively benign for the last couple of months. And so if in fact inflation is the concern and it comes back in the second half of the year, I think that's becomes a monetary policy issue, which then becomes a equity valuation problem.
Speaker 4: So next week the smart folks are going to head out that Jackson hole, Wyoming. What do you expect to hear from FED Chairman Wash If anything, I guess.
Speaker 7: I'm certainly not expecting to hear any forward guidance. I think he I think the decision to participate was in part to make the point that he is not going to offer any concrete forward guidance. But there will be conversations around the event itself. We will have some FED speakers, we will be able to get a broader sense of how the policy, assuming how policy makers are approaching the September meeting. And right now, given the economic data that we have seen, the path of least resistance is for no hike, but we still have the August data series.
Speaker 4: Is the move higher in global rates is that reflecting the fact that there is no real forward guidance from the FED and the market's just going where the market thinks it should be and maybe doing the work for the FED.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 7: Worsh certainly believes that the market is doing some of the heavy lifting for monetary policy makers, which frankly I worry about because that argument is somewhat circular. Eventually the FED will need to hike rates if the argument is that the market is doing the heavy lifting. Now, the idea that taking away forward guidance adds uncertainty, uncertainty puts a floor in forh nominal rates. That makes sense, That resonates, But there's also the global fiscal issues, whereas what's going on in Japan, there's what's going on in Europe. So I do think higher auction sizes or larger auction sizes going forward is a baseline assumption that's underpinning some of the barishness.
Speaker 2: You got to go, Ian lingoening are quickly on hyperscalars. It's away from your remit, but do you have a thought there on when enough is enough?
Speaker 7: Well, they've certainly been having an impact in the treasury market because I do think that one of the reasons rates are where they are for the curve is a bit of substitution. I accommodation for this duration heavy supply. Eventually they're going to run out of need to borrow, but right now I don't see the end in sight, so it's probably going to be a factor with us going forward.
Speaker 2: Ian Lincoln, thank you so much. Really appreciate your time to come and bring it. I'd love to get you and veiled together. I think that would be so cool, smarty Are you and Franzois together? That it'd be great? Ian Lincoln is the Bank of Montreal. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern listen on Apple Karplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: John Stolfus joins US chief investment strategist at Oppenheimer. We just hit on Margie Patel, whose equity performance at All String is ninety nine percentile, and she said something John that totally dovetails with John Stolfitz. If you wake up glass half full, if you wake up optimistic about the American experiment, just like half the battle's done, isn't it.
Speaker 6: I think so I'd say amen to that. I really would.
Speaker 8: You know, when you look at the situation, the negative pitch book really is not the winning one across the across the cycle that we've seen since two thousand and eight with some of the greatest challenges that we could have expected.
Speaker 2: Your Denny's extrapolating out, how are you extrapolating it out into twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that one that came across there's somebody was it ISSI, a guy at ISI. It came out with a nine thousand for next year somewhere in that range.
Speaker 6: And I started to see that and I said, oh my gosh.
Speaker 8: You know it's when you consider that where you've got to realize where we are because we're closed so much to knock it on Heaven's door, on that eighty one hundred target that we put in last December. With all the turbulence that comes intermittently through these markets, we could easily see something like that next year. But I'm not predicting what we're going to say later on this year for next year.
Speaker 4: So, John, the earning story has been so strong really first quarter and then second quarter even stronger. Here, I guess people starting to ask the question, all right, twenty seven, how much are earning's going to earnings growth going to moderate? How are you guys thinking about twenty seven? Is that could be tough comps?
Speaker 6: You know, we think it'll be more of a question of context.
Speaker 8: And I think if you look at it and think that this is so exceptional, you've got a figure and right size expectations that it may not be quite a spectacular this going into next year. But I think through the end of this year, I think we may still be rocking on a rolling rolling and a reeling to the hot.
Speaker 4: So what are some of the I mean, we saw earnings growth, ten and eleven sectors are seeing earnings growth here. I mean, where are you seeing? Are you looking for value? Are you writing the momentum with names and sectors? How are you guys approaching it well?
Speaker 8: In the money, we manage in a dividend growth portfolio, which is doing great this year double digits up year to date.
Speaker 6: Last year was double digits up.
Speaker 8: Also, it's growthier value and garpier growth. So when it comes to technology, you know, we own a couple of the big the big names in there, but we also own the second tier of the S and P five hundred type names that traders know very well and intermediate to long term investors do. So we know when to catch them when babies get thrown out with the bath water, and.
Speaker 6: We know when to ride our winners.
Speaker 8: You know, when everybody's coming on to the joining us in the upside swing.
Speaker 4: How are you positioned for this AI trade? I mean people are trying to look for as the trade kind of ripples out from the center the Nvidia. How are you guys thinking about exposure in different areas?
Speaker 6: You know, Paul, we.
Speaker 8: Think you need the big major point for us, and we like to think we coined the phrase we're all on the upgrade cycle.
Speaker 6: Whether we like it or not. And as a result of that, what we.
Speaker 8: See is inevitably both the consumer the individual for leisure as well as of course business. You get on the bus or you get left behind, and we think that the exposure you need to consider hardware is likely to have a good upgrade cycle. One of the guys on our training desk the other we were just talking and he had to upgrade his personal.
Speaker 6: Computer because he's using AI. Yeah, so you bought a new one.
Speaker 4: How about some you know one of the areas that for a short period of timing, you know, some of these software software as the service names were thrown out. We had Tom and I were just incredulous looking at Microsoft at one point down twenty five percent year to date before put up that really good earnings number, and everybody kind of said, whoa, how about how do you think about software and some of these names that are really I think being thrown out because AI is going to take their business.
Speaker 8: I think it's being done too quickly, especially with the big names that are deeply embedded in people's lives, whether their business or the consumers. And I think we also needed to consider that the competition that is coming from China is do you really want to use an open framework Chinese product that has the Communist party behind it to let let them know whenever you get in your car what their business plans are or whatever. I just, frankly, I don't think it's that friendliest relationship anymore, if it ever was, really, if.
Speaker 4: It ever was, I tell you you know, with these earnings growth, I'm not hearing a lot of pushback from folks about valuation in this market. Is that fair that this earnings growth has kind of said.
Speaker 6: Okay, this market's not too cheap.
Speaker 4: I'm not not too rich right here.
Speaker 6: You know, Paul, That's been our impression for a long time now.
Speaker 8: One of the thoughts that we have when we've looked at the market and you see the multiple has been for quite a while, twell over twenty and now around I think it's around somewhere between nineteen point five or twenty point five, depending.
Speaker 6: On which metrics you follow.
Speaker 8: In terms of the pe multiple, We've got to think that what it is is that a lot of people today are investing seriously for retirement.
Speaker 6: It's not cocktail party chatter.
Speaker 8: They may gamble on the side, but they know social security will not be the same part of helping them meet their living standards, and so they're investing like pension plans, and with today's products and a good financial advisor, we believe you can build a portfolio that's like a really good institutional investment.
Speaker 2: John Sofis, thank you so much, Chief investment strategists at Come Thrill Ditties with us.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast, available on apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal.