Speaker 1: Welcome into NBA Pulsive production of iHeartRadio in the NBA. I'm Sarah Kustack, NBA analyst for the S Network, and today is Monday, June third, from our extraordinary core group of NBA journals for joined now by NBA dot Com senior writer Michael C. Wright. Michael, it's June third. That means we're a couple days away from June six, when the NBA Finals begin eight thirty pm Eastern on ABC. The Dallas Mavericks will be taking on the Boston Celtics in TD Garden. Luka Doncic playing in his first NBA Finals, Boston trying to do something with this core led by Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown along with jew Holiday Derek White. Hopefully for the Boston side of things, Kristaps Porzingis will make his return here in the postseason. There's a lot happening, and as we saw Boston pretty much roll through the course of this playoffs, losing only two games to get themselves here. An expectation though for a Celtics team that was far and away the best team in the league throughout the course of this season. They had I don't want to say easy road, but somewhat of a easy road getting here, just given some injuries and things that they dealt with in the first couple of rounds. Dallas, on the other side of things, he saw just spectacular, spectacular play from Luka Doncic, from Kyrie Irving. We will get to Kyrie Irving in just what a special run this has been for him individually, making his return now back to a place where he played. But when you kind of just take a big picture of you and in your first perspective on what this finals will look like, what stands out to you most? What are some of your initial thoughts that you're going to be keeping an eye on.
Speaker 2: I think, Sarah Number one is going to be matchups, like what do they do? What?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you know Dallas sort of played this game where they just packed the paint and sort of dared you to beat him on the perimeter. Well, I don't think you can do that against the Boston Celtics because they've they're gonna have five shooters on the floor. So how do you contend with that? Who guards Jason Tatum? Who starts on Jalen Brown? Is it gonna be PJ? Washington Dereck Jones Junior. I don't know, but that those are the things I'm looking at, just how they match up and how it ends up working out because it's Dallas is gonna have to play different than they have and Boston, as you mentioned, they sort of had an easier road to get here. You know, the best player on every team that they faced in the playoffs missed games at some point. And you know, in this this series, you've got he's gonna be the best player on the floor in Luka Doncic, and he's got a pretty good superstar sidekick and Kyrie Irving, who you just mentioned earlier, but it's gonna be tough for him. But I just like the way that both of these teams sort of matchup, But I don't know exactly how they're going to deploy these matchups.
Speaker 1: What do you think in terms of you mentioned before we get to Luke Dancic, Kyrie Irving, Jason Tatum, Jalen Brown. You're talking about that, but the fact that Doncic will be the best player in the series, But how does the depth factor in? And I think depth even too, we saw Dallas's bench reserves. Complementary players have some really significant performances, impactful performances that help them to get here. The starting five of Boston, we know how good they have been, and again we're assuming and hopeful that Christaps Porzingis will be able to come into play. But what it looks like in terms of who will be coming off their bench, how that will play in how do you think the totality of these groups and the fact that you have the best player on the Dallas side of things, but also the robust nature of how many players Boston can bring at to you in different circumstances, in different scenarios.
Speaker 2: They definitely can. And you know, I was looking at the two regular season matchups between these teams and if you remember, Jalen Brown and Drew Holliday sort of took turns guarding Luka Doncic, and then Drew and Derek White also sort of tag team Kyrie Irving. And one thing about that was they did a really good job of slowing down Kyrie, and you know that played a part in both of those Boston wins. And then you if you go back to the conference semifinals when Dallas played Oklahoma City, that's one thing the thunder we're able to do is just they sort of slowed down Kyrie and that led to them having a little success and the end of that series. So I think Kyrie is going to be a really big piece. Even though Luca is going to get all the headlines and all the spotlight. I think Kyrie Irving is going to be really important to the Dallas Mavericks. And then you know, you mentioned all the bench people. I think that Boston is a little deeper. I don't know why I think that. I guess because you know, I just like what Peyton Pritchard does. Al Horford, I like his versatility, his ability to you know, shoot the ball out on the perimeter as well as you know, play play inside. But I think both of these teams match up well depth wise too, though, because look at Derek Lively, the second rookie, twenty years old. I don't think he missed a shot in the Western Conference finals. I have to go back and look. I don't think he did.
Speaker 1: No, do you see twenty years old? Like he has a maturity and poise of a thirty year old, right, I mean it's really And you saw the difference too when he went out in Game four in that Minnesota series and then what he did then again in Game five. I do think those bigs like between him and Gafford and just what that looks like again that circles back to Porzingis. I think you talking about Holliday and what I think they're going to be so important to what happens, how this plays out. But you mentioned Kyrie Irving and he has there's been questions about him returning back to Boston. He's you know, just kind of rolled through it. We have seen a whole different I obviously covered and called games, some brilliant games, and a lot of years with Kyrie Irving with the Brooklyn Nets, and saw him go back to Boston and what that was like, just the ferocity of the environment, given the feelings towards Kyrie Irving when you look at this and again we keep using the word maturity, but just how much it seems like he is in such a good place mentally, physically, spiritually, all the things. How do you think it will affect his play? Impact is both good or bad in coming back to a place that there is such a depth of emotions and feelings, at least on the side of Boston Celtics fans.
Speaker 2: I will say, Sarah that that band aid has already been ripped off. As a matter of fact, the last time I saw you, like multiple days in a row, we were covering we were covering that that playoff series between Brooklyn and Boston at four old sweep. I mean, I think they got it out of the way. Then I think that's sort of, you know, gone and it's done. And I think that Kyrie, like you said, he's in a really good place. He's he's at peace, and you can see it and how he plays. You can see how poised he is in late game situations. I mean, I've seen it night after night, the guys in a back and forth game and you know, something bad happens, but it doesn't shake him. He just keeps going and they end up, you know, sort of turning the tide and winning winning the game. So I don't think that the Celtics fans are really going to affect him very much. And I don't think that the storylines, because you know, in all these media availabilities, they're gonna ask Kyrie over and over about coming back to Boston, and I'm telling you he's not gonna have anything to say about it. He's gonna say, hey, I already did, that's it's over. I'm in a good place now, and then that's it. Like he's gonna shut that question down every time. I think because he really is in a peaceful place. He's happy with the guys that he's playing with, and in a way, I think that the youth of the Dallas Mavericks it sort of rejuvenates him and it just and he also he realizes that, you know, he was going to all those finals when he played for Cleveland, and I think he sort of took that for granted. And I think he's in a place now where he understands that this is not easy. So it's special to be back in this place and we have a unique opportunity to go and win a ring. And then I think he really wants to win a ring with Luca Dotchich. I think those guys are really close off the court.
Speaker 1: You nailed it to me, that's what I see. What I feel kind of got some chill like thinking about there. There feels like a real love and a love to play with each other, for one another and help one another amongst those two. And then add in the fact of as you mentioned the youth of this like there there seems to be a synergy and a chemistry that goes far beyond just what they're doing on the floor. But on the floor, it feels like they fight for one another and for a player in Luka Doncic, who the trash talk, the advice, he he seems to live for that, he rises to the occasion, and I actually think when he hears that, when he sees maybe some of that vitriol towards Kyrie Irving, Yeah, be careful because I feel like that will only raise the level of his play in protection for someone he considers a brother and vice versa. So to me, I actually I think that may really benefit just this group as a whole, because I think they live for these I think they're they're cut from that cloth and they are built for these type of things. In that stage will not affect them whatsoever. With that being said, though we've seen this Boston team, despite the fact that they have rolled through the playoffs, they have obviously played tremendous with one another and through the course of the regular season, it hasn't always been that way at home. Where do you think the pressure maybe if you'd call pressure lies for both of these teams on both sides, and kind of how you look at the expectations of what this finals will mean for this Boston Celtics team as they're currently constructed in just the fact that they have been here before but have not accomplished what they've set out to in a multitude of years.
Speaker 2: Despite the success, It's very interesting the dynamic between both these teams. I think Dallas, I think Jason Kidd feels like he's playing with house money at this point. I mean, they made it to a conference final in his first season as the Mavericks head coach, and then you know, coming into this season, nobody expected the Mavericks to be here. I mean there was a point in the season, and I mean pretty late in the season where the Mavericks were sort of in playing tournament territory and you didn't even know if they would make it to the playoffs. They made that trade at the trade deadline, and it changed everything. I remember you and I talking about it, and we didn't know what it meant, but it just seemed like two pretty good pieces that could help them. We didn't know exactly how it was gonna work out for him, so Dallas. I don't think has any pressure on them. I think it the Mavericks are you know, they just feel like, hey, we're happy to be here, we have an opportunity, but we know we will be back. Boston, meanwhile, I think is under some pressure because of the fact that a couple of years ago, just a couple of years ago, they were in the finals against Golden State, and they really had an opportunity to take control of that series and they sort of let one slip away in Boston, I think, and the Warriors ended up winning that series. And I think that, you know, there was a lot of criticism on some of those guys, you know, like Jason Tatum the whole time, that whole series, we kept waiting for a Jason Tatum performance and we never got it. Jalen Brown, he played his butt off that series, but we didn't have both those stars performing at that high level that we've become accustomed to. So I do think that there's more pressure on them. But at the same time, this is a different Boston Celtics team than that one that made the finals a couple of years ago. You know, you added a couple of really good pieces. I mean You've got Drew Holliday Porzingis. I think those guys can really be X factor difference maker types in this series. So even though they have more pressure on them, they are a much better team than they were before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you said it. Drew Holliday, who has been there and won a championship and just the added element that Porzingis will bring. We're gonna take a break, Michael, and then we're gonna get into predictions for Game one. Who do you think? Who do you think is coming away with the dub We'll be back. Welcome back to NBA. Paul Sarakustak, joined by the great Michael c Right. Okay, Michael, before we give some predictions for what we think will happen in Game one. You out of the gates. In the beginning of this podcast talked about matchups. There's also a matchup on the sideline, Jason Kidd Joe Missoula. Just what Jason Kidd. I think he's been an instrumental part of the play of Kyrie Irving of bringing these guys together, some of the creativity that he has shown. He's someone and bring it back to saw him in his first year as a head coach at Brooklyn and just the different stops that he's been at and how he's continued to grow. Meanside, Joe missoula very very challenging situation that he was placed in and just kind of thrown in the fire last year, some heavy critique in just the way in which things went through the postseason last year. On his side of things seemed to grow as anyone would in that position. But you talk about the youth of where he's at in this in this role, what do you think of the matchup between these coaches and if you think there is an edge on either side that will have an impact and ultimately what happens here.
Speaker 2: Well, I try not to buy too much into the whole former players that are coaches, you know, the whole argument that oh, you hit me coaching the game, you know, blah blah blah. But Jason Kidd is a Hall of Fame boy guard. And you know, one of the things that you'll hear Jason talk about a lot is the trust that they all have in one another, Like that that young team, they trust Kyrie Irving and clutch situations, they trust Luka Dancic in those clutch situations. But at the same time, those two superstars. They trust Jason Kidd, they trust that he's going to put them in a position to succeed on a night to night basis. And you've seen these game plans, and one thing about the Mavericks in my opinion, is that they are really comfortable in the game plans, Like there's no second guess in it. They are playing one hundred miles an hour. There's no confusion because Jason sort of simplifies it for everybody. And so that like that matchup is going to be interesting. But I like if we go if we look at Game one, for instance, I think that that is going to be more of a fill out type process because I don't think, as I mentioned before, I don't think Dallas can play that same style against the team that has shooters all over the floor. I mean, the Celtics did lead the NBA in threes, may threes and attempted threes, shooting at thirty eight point eight percent. So that's going to be a big factor in this series in my mind.
Speaker 1: So what do you think with all that being said, Game one, just everything that goes and we tell you and this is this is a whole different deal, whether it's the attention, the added media, families getting ready for there's a lot extra that goes into the finals that weighs on players. What do you think happens here in Game one at Boston?
Speaker 2: I think, well, first off, let's look at the playoffs, the totality of the playoffs. The Mavericks typically don't win Game one. They just don't. I don't know why, but I think, as I mentioned, it's sort of a filling out process. And let's also not diminish the fact that the Boston Celtics have been here before recently, and so they understand what the whole process is. And I'm sure that, like you know, the first time around, some of it got to them, you know, all the extra media responsibilities, you know, the extra time between games. I mean, it won't be that way until the end, you know, like the back half of the series, but like those are all things that take getting used to, and I think Boston is already there. And you know, you saw how they sort of methodically went through the regular season, like they never got too high about what they were doing. I mean, they were beating people up, like at a historic level, but it was sort of like Okay, yeah, we're just taking it one game at a time. We're just trying to get, you know, back to the finals or whatever. But it was never like, hey, look at us, like beat our chest. It was none of that. So again, they've been there, so I think they've got the advantage in that situation. And you know, at the end of the day, Ball, I mean, Dallas is still a young team for the most part, and so I do wonder how they deal with that atmosphere and TD Garden because oh, a couple of years ago when I covered the finals out there, that whole building shakes. It is amazing, and so I was a little overwhelmed by the atmosphere. So I can only imagine what they're going through.
Speaker 1: I think when you have Luca and Kyrie leading the way I think things, I agree with everything you said. I kind of think for the flips out of things. So all the pressure to me is on Boston, it is, and sometimes those game one despite being there before, sometimes though that that allows you to potentially overthink things, and Boston is sweeping. The has had a lot of time to think through things. Uh. I think the MAVs, like you said that, they very rarely get game one. They got game one in that Minnesota series. I think that they I think they come away with this one. I think they got no pressure. They'll be playing loose and I think they will be able to kind of soak in that environment in a different way. And because of that freedom of play, I think they I think they steal game one.
Speaker 2: But one point you made, though, Sarah, is the whole Kyrie back to Boston angle, and that you were right on the money there. You mess around and make Luca mad, messing with messing with Kyrie, mess around and making mad where he's in a situation where he's talking to the fans and stuff like that. You don't want that. You don't want that, Luca. That's forty five eleven and eleven, Luca, you don't want that. So you're right there on the.
Speaker 1: Look a side of things. And then I think that adds a different feel for then how Kyrie can play when he knows he's got this guy, yes that is willing and wants to take on so much of that fury. So yeah, I think it's going to be amazing. Michael. I think we are set for a tremendous, tremendous finals. We hit a couple of them. There are story so many storylines, and I know they will continue to grow. So I can't wait. I know you can't wait. Eight thirty pm, Saturday Night, ABC, and we'll continue reading, watching all your stuff and look forward to talking with you again.
Speaker 2: All right, Sarah, I have a good one.
Speaker 1: NBA post with Sarahustak's production of the NBA and iHeart Radio, Please rate, review, and subscribe on the iHeart Radio app or wherever you get your podcasts.