Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what you really miss podcast. Something new and something hot.
Speaker 2: Oh we're coming in hot, Jenna. Okay and a little delayed. Sorry late, sorry relate, We'll come in hot and let me tell you the responses. Okay, this is hot takes, sizzling, this is hot takes. We asked you the question on Instagram if you had any hot takes for Glee and Lord, we thought this would be one episode. Let me just preface this by saying it will not just be one episode.
Speaker 1: We can't even go through them all. No, to get through these. Okay, we received hundreds of submissions from you guys, from comments and Dan's and voice notes, So thank you again for writing in like your questions for our Q and a's. You guys rock. This is I don't even I don't even know where to begin. Kevin, I don't either, I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, right off the bat, we were talking about this idea and it was like we conjured it up and I follow somebody on Twitter called Peter Twinkline, and I wanted to share I don't know if this is a hot take, but it's something I agree with, okay, and was saying, no research to back this up, which I think is a good start to a hot take, okay, because it can't really be founded in any sort of science, but based on anecdotal data. What connects the TV shows that have been most successful in moving Americans to the left parentheses Glee, Family, Guy, the Wire is the fact that they're extremely politically incorrect but very clear in their humanization of minorities. WHOA And I was like, well, yes, WHOA. That feels correct. I hot take Glee was good for America.
Speaker 1: Hot take America was careful what we say here?
Speaker 2: Make America Glee again. Oh god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: The merch.
Speaker 1: The merch right there.
Speaker 2: Actually make America Glee again. There's my hot take.
Speaker 1: We're going to just get start going through because let's go. There's so many and I can't even explain to you. So somebody said I didn't hate Blaineofski. It was cute seeing Blaine get cuddled during homecoming. There I said it.
Speaker 2: I I'm trying not to judge hot takes because that's the point of a hot take.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, right, Like, I'm trying not to come at people for their hot takes, but I also like there are some that I agree with.
Speaker 2: Hot take. My hot take is that Tina should have kept her stutter.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that is not that's a.
Speaker 2: Cold take for me, ice cold, ice bath.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't have been able to do any of the crazy, crazy things she did when she became crazy. So but I hear you, and I'm not judging you.
Speaker 2: A lot of hot takes, and I don't think this is a hot take because I think it's a wide held belief that Jenna was severely underappreciated on the show and Tina deserved more solos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've read that one a couple of times now I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kurt not getting into NYATA made complete sense to me, since the first half the season three consistently sets up that he doesn't have the resume required for admission unless he becomes class president early the musical, and he gets neither.
Speaker 2: It made sense. It makes sense along the curtain line, Clay should have stayed broken up after the breakup in season four, and they should have not been confirmed back together until the series finale. In the time, I'm jump they are way too young to be engaged at the start of season five, which obviously plays into why they call off the engagement later on. I think they truly needed lots of time apart to grow as their own people, explore and find their way. I don't disagree. There's a lot of early young engagements going on in this show, a.
Speaker 1: Lot of babies, a lot of engagements, a lot of weddings.
Speaker 2: But you know, that's a small town thing. Like I'm from a smaller town in Texas, and like so many people got married right out of high school.
Speaker 1: Plenty of friends got married in their twenties divorced in their forties. Yes, Hi, Don and Kevin, this is Michael hot take the song don't Dream It's over as the best that y'all have founded. I think that song is just beautiful and doesn't get talked about enough for how good it is. Thanks for hearing mine and my fellow gleagu's opinions on the lovely and fantastic show you guys start in. And lastly, thanks for bringing positivity to my Mondays and Thursdays with this great podcast. Well that's so nice, cute.
Speaker 2: I went back and listened to it, and I agree, it's really good right. I also agree you all sound really great. Oh, hot take, season six is better than season three.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a real one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, neither can confirm or deny. We're not there yet.
Speaker 1: This is a two parter from the same person, so I and I want to read both. Glee's version of Baby Got Back is truly a masterpiece. Wow. Okay, I don't know. I'm not judging you again, but I agree luke warm Yeah, yeah, yeah. And this other one is Tina is low key every theater kid that isn't the star or the teacher director's favorite. She's still about not getting any solos until she finally has a breaking point as that theater kid. I totally relate justice for Tina. Interesting, I couldn't yes, illness in my bones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, and I like that underrepresented. Yeah, you know that's hot take. Glee should have ended at season three. I don't know how hot that is. I think a lot of people have said that. I don't agree.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't agree either, Given what we've experienced in the last year and a half, Scream is one of, if not the best you at on the show, Kevin, and I'm not trying to suck up. Kevin.
Speaker 2: Sure sounds like you are I will say thank you.
Speaker 1: Though I agree from the same person.
Speaker 2: Though Bohemian Rhapsty is one of the worst covers on the show, Jonathan Groff is the most talented ever. But every cover on the show is better than the original except for this one.
Speaker 1: This is really really deep and dark and let's get into it. Okay, here's my hottest Glee take. The show isn't Rachel's success story. It's her villain origin story. Yes, she's Ana Skywalker, and all we can do is watch her own selfish decisions warp her into something powerful but unrecognizable. At the beginning, Rachel was annoying and ambitious, but had redeeming moments of kindness, compassion, and friendship which were genuine, though occasionally misguided. That's oftened how self centered and blunt she could be. By the time she got to Nyata, her moral compass had started to point more towards what she wanted than what was right, and by the time she was casting Funny Girl, what Rachel wanted and the right thing to do were treated like the same thing. I think Rachel and the pilot would be thrilled by what she choose and horrified by who she became to get there.
Speaker 2: Wow, hot take ming mingg ming ming ming ming ming ming ning. Love love that, love.
Speaker 1: It, I love that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Scared to type this, but as a coach myself, Rachel was the right choice to have as the lead of the group. Absolutely, Mercedes and Santana have just as good as voices, But as a coach, it's Rachel you want out there during those competitions. She has the IQ, the right drive and perseverance that the other kids just didn't. This is not me saying others didn't deserve solos. That's in caps. Please don't kill me. No, I get it.
Speaker 1: No, I get it, get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all get it.
Speaker 1: Here's the Hottestklee take. As cute as it may be, it makes no sense that so many high schools ships ended up together. In the long run, they should have kept clean and Britanna endgame. Maybe tardy, but ever the rest love like most young adults, or keep them single. That's also an option. Yeah, yeah, it's not realistic. Yeah, but who's to say where they are now?
Speaker 2: That's right, they could have all fallen apart, totally, totally my hot take, Rachel, Santana and Kurt is the best friendship in the on the whole show. Their dynamic in New York is hilarious, and I wish we had gotten more of them as a trio. Rachel and Santana's feud in season five was just a lazy excuse to pitch two strong women against each other and live up to some crazy rumors I do. I mean, I think we agree. We agree with that. Yeah, with that, the three of them together in New York, I think at some of the best moments. I also think, though, the storyline that we're still watching and continuing of them going at each other Rachel and Santana, Yeah, sort of brings out the best in both of them in a number of ways. And I'm really enjoying that storyline because it feels it doesn't feel high school anymore. It feels really real and like they're acting out of their mind. They're so good at its so good, and I'm all about it. I think it's actually really good. I my hot take is the feud. I think the feud is really good. I think it was really good for the show and everyone talks about spin offs. I would have liked to see Rachel and Santana spin off. WHOA, I realized I like watching those two together.
Speaker 1: I mean, who who doesn't. I totally agree with you. I just a spin off is a bold.
Speaker 2: Statement, because during when it was happening, everyone, you know, I felt like every week there was like, Oh, there should be this spinoff or that spin off. Honestly, Rachel and Santana and you are that's.
Speaker 1: The spin off. That's the spin off. Okay, Blaine is Filipino. Obviously. Hot take is that Glee should have gotten Leya Salanga to play his mom instead of Gina Gershan. Love her, but I would have been perfect, and I know she was willing. Now I feel like Darren try to get Laid on the show, because I was hugely a fan of growing up. Darren and I had talked about this, and I know that he had met her through the show, and then I met her, and so I think there was something about him campaigning to get her on, but we didn't. She would have been a dream.
Speaker 2: Love her. I met her through both of you, and I was just so starstruck.
Speaker 1: She's She's so cool, so nice.
Speaker 2: Stupid talented icon. Sorry Kevin, but Artie wasn't a good guy in relationships. He just liked dating popular girls, but he was willing to dump any of them for a more popular one. Seriously, how could he be willing to break up with Kitty for a quickie with missus H. I don't disagree. Artie was not great.
Speaker 1: We talked about this before you know this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Artie was displaying early signs of in cell behavior if that sort of what's going on now, you know, with a certain type of podcaster and all that. I think he'd be into that in high school, which I hate.
Speaker 1: But I don't know, Kevin, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want him to be. But I mean, if we look into the things he said and the way he behaved, especially in relationships.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's like fifteen different platforms in which these comments came through, And I'm looking at the comments on Instagram right now, and someone said, I absolutely hate Jesse.
Speaker 2: I get it. No, I think he was an unlikable character.
Speaker 1: And he came through broke up like finchall like it was just it was all wrong. But like we loved John Grop obviously so and Jesse was very funny, but as a character and his intentions and his motives correct, like we don't we don't love him.
Speaker 2: I was one of the ones I haven't been able to separate the person from the character where I'm like, oh, it's just John Graff is the opposite of Jesse. But like, I just love John and I love watching John. So if I was watching the show and didn't know John personally.
Speaker 1: These comments are on Fia.
Speaker 2: Hi, Kevin and Jenna. I'm Leah and here's my Glee hot take. Artie and Kitty should have been endgame. They were one of my favorite couples on the show, and their relationship really brought out the best in Kitty. What is your opinion on this? Also, in case you actually see this, I have to say thank you for everything. Glee t really changed my life in so many ways. Oh that's so sweet. I do agree that their relationship brought out a very positive side of Kitty. I don't know if it should have been endgame.
Speaker 1: Though, now, and you're talking the wrong audience here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Listen and do judge.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my hottest take. Most everything in Glee exists only in the head of Sue Sylvester. In real life, she's a low level teacher or a pee coach who fantasizes about winning national level cheerleading competitions, slugging judges on stage, replacing the principal, having a celebrity baby, and being the vice president. The glee kids are all real probably have talent, though Sue clearly loves Mercedes, Kurt, Blaine Rachel, imagining them to fave fantasy characters. All the performances take place in the classrooms, and all those elaborate sets we saw, like the jungle set, the Toxic set, and Kurt written in brick lights are just Sue fantasizing along with the kids performing. All the shenanigans like Sue canceling the hotel rooms at nationals are more for acting out in her head to feel like she has power in a powerless world. And maybe that's why Santana, Becky and Sue are allowed to say the outrage outrageous, hurtful things they say, because those tirades, all in all, are Incu's head. I promise I just now thought of this and haven't been thinking about this for twenty years.
Speaker 2: Wow, I feel like somebody has said that I love it Wasn't that like a joke amongst I feel like I've heard that before, And like I don't know if like Ian joked about it or something like that. I could be making that up, but I feel I've heard that before. I or maybe it was like in Rachel's head, like it was all in Rachela. I think I've heard that one. Yeah, kind of brilliant. Okay, are you ready for something controversial?
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Glee when compared item by item to High School Musical. With the musical the series one, what one might say is the closest thing we have to Glee in the modern age, will almost always fall short. I am talking original songs. I'm talking representation both in front of and behind the camera in the writer's room. The show's treatment of bisexuals, The show's treatment of people of color, specifically Asians, but really everyone. The show's ability to satirize theater kids and not use the cool kids to boost up or make relevant those theater kids. The show's ability to not punch down the unhealthy teacher student relationships that are done in a tasteful way in High School Musical. The musical the series, the dance ability of the cast, both shows led by your friend Zach Woodley. Item by item, everything about High School Musical is better than Glee. But somehow Glee is still the better show. It will be longer lasting, it is already more iconic because because of when it came out, it forever changed the fabric of America, slash the world. Not even joking, Glee is a better show, even though it defies the clear science. I have previously started an essay about this very topic, but have not finished. My outline has side by side comparisons from each show. I fear it will be roughly fifteen pages. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I would like to see that when it comes out. And I would also like to say, which you did? Context matters. When Glee came out, it was a different world, yes, and so it was ushering in all of those positive changes we saw in High School Musical, the musical, the series.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's great, and it was.
Speaker 2: It was a bit different. I mean, one was on Disney Plus when Disney Plus was like not doing punchy material. Glee intentionally was a dark satire that that was supposed to be irreverent and make offensive.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, definitely, if you had only read that screenplay that Ian wrote.
Speaker 2: You know, yes they were. They were very different tonally, but yeah, we did do original music. That was the whole conceit of the show. It's like, you know, but I don't disagree with some of that. What I think is, like you see the through line between the two of them, right, And what's funny is I think maybe Glee success isn't part because of the High School movie franchise, Yes, definitely, and then Glee and then High School Musical the musical. Serious success is a part success because of Glee. There's room for everybody, Yeah, there is, and there's just different different styles totally, and I think that show is great. I watched it, did you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hot take? I audition for the teacher.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be a teacher on that show too.
Speaker 1: I okay, here here's a hot take. I do not stand for the hate of mister shit talk about it, Okay. I'm not here to defend his actions like the week of talking, making out with April, to Shelby, to Holly, the wrapping, But he was an amazing teacher. You could tell that mister Shoe was a stand up guy who had the love for the arts and wanted students to have a passion for it too. He brought kids from all different walks of life and social clicks into one glee club. If it wasn't for mister Shoe, Rachel would never be friends with Quinn or Santana. Mercetades would have never housed a pregnant Quinn. No, Tina and Mike together, Finn and Kurt might not have been brothers. He loved those students and gave them space to have a creative outlet and a just to be their authentic selves. Glee wasn't just a club. It was a home to many students who wanted to feel like they were loved, special, and had some sense of talent. As Mercedes says, Glee club will never end, mister Shoe, because you are the Greek Club.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I look, I agree with that. I think that his some of his actions were questionable. I think we also did live in a different world where like teachers could do some of these things without them being deemed inappropriate or uncomfortable or Yeah, I don't know. I don't hate mister Shoe. I've never hated mister Shoe that you know, But I don't I think when we look back. We have to we do have to condemn some of the things that he did.
Speaker 2: Was both things are true. He was great for all of those kids for all of those reasons, but he also has a long list of questionable things. Yes, yes, yes, this is a real hot take. The best duet in Glee is American boy. Oh God clean.
Speaker 1: Oh God, no good no, oh God, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: On a lighter note, I love that canonically Santana had slept with both members of the Unholy Trinity. Yea, how unholy did it it? Hot take? Quinn Fabray got one of the worst trajectories of all the characters, with the writers not knowing what direction to take uh to take her in and lost sight of who she was. I think we said that she was Quinn went through it mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: I mean in a very short period of time. Yes, Glee was arguably one of the only shows that could have had the main cast stay in high school for twenty years or sixties, take your pick, and it wouldn't have been that crazy. The show was satirical and often nature that they could have made jokes about being in high school for suspiciously long times and it would have been the fourth ball break, like a lot of other things, I have to agree.
Speaker 2: I agree, I have to. I think we could have gotten away with it. I will. I do think though, like shows like Penn fifteen have shown like successful ways to do that sort of thing. Yeah, even though it's a little different. But I don't know if that's like Ryan's style to do right. Yes, After Blaine joined New Directions, Kurt became his shadow. Chris had just won a Golden Globe at twenty one, and all they gave him were recycled relationships to him.
Speaker 1: Oh hot, Oh.
Speaker 2: Kevin, I love you, But Tina deserved better than already. I don't agree.
Speaker 1: Many people talk about Rachel's performances and then they snub her and cry season theory like it's kind of one of my favorite solos of hers.
Speaker 2: Oh, Rachel Barry never would leave Broadway for some reality TV show. It was so out of character and I hated it. And there are a.
Speaker 1: Lot of Mercedes Jones deserved better, a lot of justice from Mercedes Jones here in these commons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think that's a hot take. I think everybody agrees. No, you know, I think that's we also got. Besides the d MS in the comments. We also got some voice notes. I think we should listen to a couple of these voice notes to hear the passion and the hot take.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, Mike Lee hot take is that at least some of the band members in the choir room should have had a storyline. There's so many times where it was like, oh my gosh, we're one member short, and I like, you have this group of musicians in the room with you all the time. So I would have loved it if there was some crossover or even like a relationship between someone in glee club and someone in the band. I just wanted them to have lines. I wanted to know their names. I just feel like those were a wasted opportunity that could have been characters.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Yeah, agreed, one hundred percent. Would have loved that. A relationship between a band member and one of the new directions so real. Yes, I love like during our graduation we're just up there with the entire band. It made me emotional, was like, oh, they're all graduating too, we don't know them. Get to know them.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jenna and Kevin. My name is Annabel and from Australia. Thank you for being my childhood, young adulthood, and adulthood. Now, my take on Glee is that everyone who witnessed the what does the Fox Say? Performance deserves financial reparations for their mental health appointments.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if anyone else will agree, but that is my opinion.
Speaker 2: Currently filing a class action suit.
Speaker 6: But in all seriousness, I would also like to say I think David Korowski's storyline is one of the most underrated character growth arcs of all time in TV history, and I will stand by that. I think his story was so important and I didn't really seen anything else like it on TV before, with the way his story panned out, and I think it's so underrated. Ah, and I think we should be talking about it. He's literally my Sheila, Oh my Godlailor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, I agree, I agree with all that. Thank you very much. Listen to another one. I love this Hi.
Speaker 7: So I'm a firmist believer that Tina and Already should not have ended up together, and I feel like it was a really lazy part on the writers. But I think Tina and Mike and Kitty and Larti were like the perfect Glee relationship, like perfect Frigglee because it was goth and football player and then it was nerd and cheerleader.
Speaker 1: And I feel like that's.
Speaker 7: Just like the point of Glee was to have like the losers and the popular kids behind friends and form relationships, and none of the in game relationships were that well, I don't think they are No. Number one. Like also, I feel like it was a really big mischidcharacterization on Tina's part because Tina didn't like whenever Tina and Already were together, they just did not seem like they liked each other or they did like each other, but I feel.
Speaker 1: Like they were more like friends.
Speaker 7: And I also feel like Tina grew so much whenever she was with Mike, and I feel like Mike grew and then also I think Kitty and Already grew together. But also I could be biased because I am the biggest Tina Mike sand ever. Like, I just love them so much, and I also really love Tina, and I'm I like Artie but he's not my favorite. And this is past one minute. I am so sorry, thank you, sobody.
Speaker 3: I digs okay, jail, disagree jail my rebuttal to Tina and Artie not really liking seeming like they don't really like each other.
Speaker 1: I think that's just the way they work. I think that's the way they they get. They get, they get like what is the word I'm looking for? They work. You know those couples that are just like toxic for each other, but they like love each other, like so bad they hate each other.
Speaker 2: Think they were toxic.
Speaker 1: No, no, I don't think they're toxic. But we weren't nice to each other always, but we were just like so unfiltered. But when I think people were a little jarred by that. Yeah, I mean that's how I am in a real relationship. Totally.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get one hundred percent of it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I thought it was very mature.
Speaker 2: You know what I think I do understand, which I think is interesting. I haven't thought about this because you and I were besties that maybe are acting romantic was not really as strong as like the friendship part of it because we were just like buds.
Speaker 1: That was like non and they're like whatever, this is boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they're not sexually attracted to each other.
Speaker 1: Oh, people do like tyke. Hey, that's funny. There's a few of these hot take Tina and Mike deserved a storyline in the breakup episode and should have an endgame.
Speaker 2: There's like a lot of those, I do. I would have loved to have seen more of Tina and Mike when you're not just arguing about like sort of racist Asian.
Speaker 1: Things totally totally or being called like Asian emberwan age.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what is like obviously there's something beyond that, So like, what is that storyline? I felt like it was always the punching bag?
Speaker 1: Was that for sure? These are insane? You guys, I'm not even sure. There's so many we have to do another episode of these, there's so many hot take? Is they mistreated Quinn? She deserved more solos, more screen time and decent storylines. You know, she's been through, she was put through a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of that Quinn, Quinn's character. Justice for that hot take, Lots more Curt and Carrol scenes. Yeah, Okay, let's do one more voice note.
Speaker 8: Hi, Kevin and Jenna. By name's RAFFI. I'm a huge fan Kevin. I saw you at the Kennedy Center. You were incredible And my hottest Glee take is that at the end of season three Rachel and Finn should have gotten married as eighteen year olds. I know it sounds crazy, but it's not unrealistic. People that age do get married. And I think it would have been better for their story if they went to New York together and Finn had gotten into a school in New York for acting. And if we're being honest, many more crazy things happened in this show, so I don't think it would have been out of line.
Speaker 2: Now, I sort of agree, because when so many more couples get engaged later on, it sort of takes away the impact. I feel like, because everyone's getting engaged, like, yeah, just haven't get married.
Speaker 1: If you're going to go for it, go for it. I was excited about the wedding.
Speaker 2: I mean, if anyone was gonna get married, like I get Yeah, they worked, yeah, I mean they're the best. However, that train station scene was also we needed that.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget that.
Speaker 2: I never forget that.
Speaker 1: One of the best things in the series.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to do this again. This is a new new series.
Speaker 1: Thank you for writing in. We really appreciate it. Keep on keep on thinking because we're going to do another one. We're going to ask for some more and we'll go through some of the ones that we didn't select this time. So if we didn't talk about yours and thank you to everybody.
Speaker 2: Hot Takes and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.