Speaker 1: Welcome to Bud meets Tworld, a podcast that began with Dancing with the Stars, wandered through castles, survived beaches, and spent an entire season debating the social hierarchy of cocktail parties. Along the way, Will and I rift on what I thought was a hypothetical observation. Maybe arranged marriage isn't the worst idea. Apparently our producers were listening. So now we are watching Married at First Sight season twenty, a show where complete strangers meet at the altar, say I do, and only then begin the awkward process of discovering whether they have anything in common whatsoever. We are Wilfordell, who loves love and believes marriage should be about the marriage, not the wedding, and Right or Strong, who loves love and made one observation about arranged marriage and is now being forced to defend it for an entire television season. Join us as experts, therapists, family members, and complete strangers all attempt the oldest social experiment in human history with confessionals. This is pod meets Twirled. All or Nothing? How you doing well?
Speaker 2: I'm good? I'm sorry, writer? What what is this show called all or Nothing?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: What is it Meredith for ciders. Is it maps maps?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the acronym M A F S has been what has been going around, and it just sounds like a disease. Mass mass got a bad case in the mass.
Speaker 2: From a jet ski, good public toilet and a jet ski.
Speaker 1: It can't happen. You can get maps from a jet ski.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 1: This show is turning for me. It's making me very uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Really, when did that happen when they when they left the honeymoon phase?
Speaker 2: Just like a regular relationship exactly.
Speaker 1: It's really because even when it's good, I'm like, now I'm like I feel invasive, when I'm like a fly on the wall. When people are happy, I'm like, well now I'm just judging them when they're fine, and then when they're in fight, it's painful to watch, Like the Nikki Sean stuff is rough.
Speaker 2: That's brutal. That's brutal.
Speaker 1: It's really hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a couple and here's the thing, there's a couple couples, which I like to say as often as I can, there's a couple couples that I've completely and totally like teams is the wrong way to say, like, oh, I'm team Nicky or I'm team Sean, Like I'm not on one team or another.
Speaker 2: But there's there's people that I don't know if they're.
Speaker 3: Producing it this way or if it's just the way that it's working out.
Speaker 2: But there's people where I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I'm I get where they're coming from, and their partners really not helping, and then it's switched to where it's like, oh, now I think it's your fault of the stuff that's going on. And that's happened to me with a couple of the different couples that we've had.
Speaker 1: I feel like, I mean, I'm I'm impressed in general with how sensitive everybody is, Like how I guess I assumed, you know, maybe and this is because of just not having watched that much reality, but I assumed Reality TV was like a bunch of kind of superficial people, or like the way that they would present themselves would be a little more like posturing. And actually, like everybody on this show is pretty good like tapping into their feelings, talking about what they're going through, you know, even like Adam and Marissa, who are like sort of a caricature of like the everything's great.
Speaker 2: The bro couple.
Speaker 1: When she opens up at the dinner, I was like, dude, she's got great insight, like she's saying, you know, so, I don't know. I'm just I'm I guess.
Speaker 3: I think was raised by parents to where your feelings matter when they yes.
Speaker 1: So you think it's too much that you think these people are like over Oh really yes, Oh my god, you're so old.
Speaker 3: School the helicopter parent like your eight and your feelings are important.
Speaker 2: No, they're not shut up into your job.
Speaker 1: But both Marissa and Adam came from not like not helicopter parenting, right. They both talk about how they didn't have that.
Speaker 3: They're the least connected to their feelings of everybody, I think.
Speaker 1: And I think they can still articulate it pretty well.
Speaker 3: You wonder the Heisenberg principle, though, You wonder just basically how much of it is being put on for the cameras, Like I hear like every time I hear Nikki and Sean talk to each other.
Speaker 1: They're the worst.
Speaker 3: These are just two human beings that would never talk like this if the cameras weren't around them.
Speaker 1: About that, maybe not to this extent.
Speaker 3: Soue and I started doing it it's hysterical, like I hear you, I hear the process, but I feel that you're gaslighting me.
Speaker 1: When gaslighting came out, I was like, there it is. It's like all those deals were there's some toxicity to our problematic processing. And I'm like, oh, don't say those words anymore. Just like this is TikTok. You've read, you've read all the advice columns, you've read every self help book as it comes out, the seven Habits of highly Effective Communicators, and you are just playing it to no. I want the two of them to just like put on boxing gloves and punch each other. Like that's where I'm at. I'm like, guys, see that you guys should just get naked, have to be naked in front of each other and wear boxing gloves and then have an argument. Do you know what I mean? Like be vulnerable, but then also be like armed to the teeth and like go at it. Because they're playing it so safe and yet, like they point out, their egos are still so big. Like both of them, they both think that they're gonna win even without being aggressive. So they're like passively aggressively trying to one up one another, trying to hurt one another, and it sucks.
Speaker 3: If you're trying to win, you're not in a relationship, you're not even in an argument.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to win, it's like you're just not listening to the other person.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I mean the distinction. And I think we've talked about this before, like for me, like the distinction between and I had a friend of friends point this out. We were talking about relationships and argument, Like, having conflict is obviously inevitable, having a disagreement obviously inevitable, and but the difference between like an argument or a conflict and a fight is when you start trying to hurt one another, like when you're actually trying to you know. And I had to realize that, like when my wife and I would be in arguments and I'd be like, oh, I'm now just trying to hurt you, and like, you know, and like being able to recognize that in myself, like because of course it's like it, you know, because you get hurt and then you're like, well, I'm gonna hurt you, and it's like that's when it's never going to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: And again, that's a lot of times in an earned relationship, not the week, the first week you've been married.
Speaker 2: I know, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: I thought this was the end at the end of season or episode seven, I thought it was over. I know it.
Speaker 3: I mean, these are two people that are now just here because neither of them want to look like they gave up on national health exactly.
Speaker 1: He even says it. He's like, I'm committed. Yeah, And it's like, what does that have to do what?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm committed to this podcast writer. I hear you. I'm processing what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I just feel like there's something a little problematic in the way you're gaslighting me. There's a little it's it's a passive toxicity that.
Speaker 2: You're very controlling. Ryer, you're very controlling.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes you could be a little crazy, and that's quoting your words back crazy. I definitely have learned that lesson have you? Have you ever made the mistake of calling somebody crazy? Relationship?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I had a drink thrown in my face once midfight.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: I compared her to her mom.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, you're more like your mother than you And before I got the R and mother out, the drink with ice and everything was right in my face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's intense, dud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, security was called at us at a hotel. It's never happened before. I was like twenty three.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Was this somebody who had been dating for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been together for like a year and a half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's yeah.
Speaker 3: And because I've never been into like a fighty kind of relationship ever, and she was she got hot, man, Well.
Speaker 1: Maybe you got hot. She was trying to cool you down. You were the one on five. It worked.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, okay, have drink thrown in face once in life check.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't ever compare them to their mother. If they don't get along with their mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably a bad call, not a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No. A lot of this reads like it's like a Reddit post, Like it feels like it should start like I'm Nikki forty six female and my partner Sean, forty four male.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, this is you guys just shouldn't be together.
Speaker 1: It's just painful because, like I it's it. They're both they're both very articulate, they're both very they're very good at like presenting, and so it's just becomes this like you like I said, I just want them to scream at each other or or not and just like you know, lay down and whisper to each other. But because this like talking in circles, it's like the worst. It's like it's it all like whenever they are talking, it feels like they've already been talking for six hours and we're not getting anywhere, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And it's like that's circular conversation and you're like.
Speaker 1: This is it's over in the morning and we're having this fight and we're still and neither one of us are willing to let it go. Like yeah, and I hate that feeling. That is like literally the worst feeling in the world that I you know, just never want to be in again.
Speaker 2: My love one of them.
Speaker 3: I mean, he kind of at one point said, I'm giving I'm relinquishing it. I mean, you think one of them just has to give up the powers. It like, okay, one of them has to be the alpha. It's like, all right, fine, if that's what you want to do, then yes, you're in charge.
Speaker 1: But that's what he was doing at the end of I think that's what he was saying when he's like, it's all me. I'm I don't want to fight anymore, you know. And I think like he was trying to say, like, I will take responsibility, but of course he was in a way to sort of I think, so she had to be the one to say, okay, I will also take responsibility, which she's not about to do never.
Speaker 3: No. Yeah, this is one of the switches where it's like he's I don't buy him in this relationship. But now I'm like, all right, something's wrong with her in this relationship, and I think I know what it is.
Speaker 2: We've talked about this. She walked down the aisle, she saw him. I think you're right. She didn't realize that was going to be her husband.
Speaker 3: When she figured out that was her husband, she was horribly disappointed. And now it has to look like she's been trying hard and he's terrible to be with and they're going to break up and it's not her fault at all.
Speaker 2: That's I think, what she's trying to do, and it ain't working. The two of them just shouldn't be together, all right.
Speaker 1: Let's move into episode six, when everybody's moving into new places. Now, I didn't quite get this so they get like a neutral apartment, yeah, to move into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they both shared cohabitate until they then because then there's an episode if it's if it's like the old school series, then there's an episode where they have to decide if they're going to stay together, which one of their places they're going to move into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they reference that in this, and I was like, so you're not fully married yet, do you know what I mean? Like that sounds like there's a commitment choice moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: You come you're married, legally married, and it's like do you want to stay together or do you want to get divorced before then? Because I mean every marriage and relationship there's all these logistical, like actual logistical fundamental issues you have to talk about. One of them is well I have an apartment and you have an apartment, so are we keeping one apartment?
Speaker 2: And it leads to fights.
Speaker 3: Some people are like I'm not getting rid of my place, and the other person's like, wow.
Speaker 1: So that's what we're to look forward to the next exact exactly.
Speaker 3: They you know, it's all that kind of stuff where it's like are we living together?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Let's both get rid of our places and get a new place together. And then it's like, well, I'm not sure I want to make that commitment.
Speaker 1: While ninety percent of them haven't even had sex, Like it's so weird. Yeah, So how do you make these decisions when you're like still processing whether you can be intimate with this person, let alone spend the rest of your life being intimate, Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Yeah, or you can be with somebody like Courtney who doesn't want to be into or have deep conversations and you just kind of.
Speaker 2: Go, great, then what the am I doing here? Courtney?
Speaker 1: So she's I take it she's not your favorite anymore.
Speaker 3: It's not that she's not my favorite, it's just somebody that clearly is not ready for this process, right, I mean she seems like a very nice person who's got a ton of credit.
Speaker 1: I would say, how can you be ready for this? This show is bonkers and this is.
Speaker 3: Like but you got to at least be open to the idea that it's like you're they're pairing you with something if you never watched the show.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm saying, of like, court the people.
Speaker 3: On the show have to know exactly what this show is and so if you come in going, hey, I'm not ready to be intimate in any way.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't mean sex.
Speaker 3: Any source of hands and holding hands, kissing, even like getting under the covers and staring at each other with the lights off and like telling each other stories and intimate things.
Speaker 2: Close to each other.
Speaker 3: That's being intimate. You know, you don't have to touch each other. And then when you know, some people are like, yeah, oh god, I hate those deep conversations too. It's like, well, then what are we doing here? Like you're just not you're you are not ready for this process. And I think I think there's a couple of people that are like that. M hmm.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we see uh Felippe and Tory moving into the new place. He's afraid of heights, Adam and Marissa hanging up the jet ski. Oh dude, it's like it's like carrying her across the altar and here's the jet ski key. It's going right there, babe. Katelyn Devin. I love this fake plant moment where she's like, wait, that plant's real. I was like it was like that twenty eight days later thing. Remember we talked about how like you have to be able to take care of it, and she's like, no, no, no, I kill everything. I was like, oh, red.
Speaker 2: Flag, I cannot have killed this plant. It cannot have been my fault.
Speaker 1: But it's like she really anything like a plant is too needy for her. So it's like, Devin, dude, like you're screwed. Man, Like, if you want anything from her, if you have any needs, it's going to be perceived as needy like that. It's so clear to me, And he is such a good guy. By the end of these two episodes, I was like, tell you you were doing the best, Like you were working so hard to accommodate somebody who I like, I would be so bad in a relationship with this person, Like oh god, yeah, like just I need some yeah, compliments, affections. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So your response to is that plant alive? He goes, no, it's real. Her response was ill clue.
Speaker 1: And that's a plant in our house?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is that baby crying again? If you feed it? Like whatever?
Speaker 3: No, it was yeah, Wow, this is this is Jeff's doing. Yeah, you know, you always like to blame Jeff I do.
Speaker 1: I I mean, yeah, I shouldn't psychoanalyze too much because I'm surprised they haven't brought any of that up. I guess they're just kind of leaving the parents.
Speaker 2: I'm not there yet. We'll get it eventually, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: All right. Mecca and bel Jolie are filling up their closet with her clothes. Nick and Courtney. Nick is a little lonely, seems like Michelle and Cameron. She's cutting cucumber. He wants them thinner. Talks about this moment, which he brings up a couple of times in these twosoes, about when they got stuck at the airport, and this is like a great moment. And this is one of the only times on the show when they've referenced off camera moments. Yeah, there must be a lot of off camera interaction that they're but the which is good. I yes, because they were just chilling together at an airport, stuck in Pittsford, they have a thirteen hour travel day, and like, I don't know, he's he's happy because they had that like an authentic moment and it was off camera. And I wish the other people had these too, Like they must have them. I don't know. I'm assuming they do, but it's weird. That they don't talk about them or reference them anyway. Seems like he's happy with her and she's you know, into it too. They're doing pretty well.
Speaker 3: They might be the coming up on the outside couple like and coming up on the outside on a nowhere Alan Cameron like, it's like, wow, this after this, these two episodes, I was kind of like, okay.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, right, because Phelipe Bantry took a little step back in some way.
Speaker 3: Well he he really took a couple steps back in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, we'll get into it. I know, all right, back with Flip Bantry. He's sad the honeymoon's over, but she's saying there's still so much to know about each other. They are not having sex. It's too early, Nicki and Sean. They cheers to a good night's sleep and let's get back at it tomorrow. Like it's a freaking job.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I punch it in the morning, morning, Nicky morning.
Speaker 1: Ready the six hours of argument get into this. Oh my god. So this is where we find out that he called her crazy, which he disputes that he was actually quoting her. And these two are just they're both good arguers, you know, and I think one of they're both used to dominating in a conversation. Like they both are really good. Yes, Like I feel like in past relationships they've been the one who's been able to like run the way the argument goes. Do you know what I mean? If there is an argument and now they've kind of met their match, is in some ways a sign that they were well put together, you know, on the match making front.
Speaker 3: Well, they've said that on paper, Yes, they're great together. On paper, they have it has whatever you need. They're driven, they're both they it seem like they're both spiritual people. They're you know, it seems like on paper it's what you want. But you get him together and it's just well.
Speaker 1: In her confessional, she talks about the fact that maybe that she told him that she's not attracted to him, that's exacerbated some of his insecurities. Ye think, uh, And so she thinks that he's ratcheting up the conflict, And I think that's an accurate reading. Yeah, And it's interesting that she can't she can say that, but she can't translate that to how she treats him, you know what I mean, Like she could say I am sorry, I hurt your feelings. You're coming from a place of being hurt. Let's just be nicer to one another. And she's not even saying that. She's still get into it with him, and like, ugh.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about because this happens oftentimes in arguments and it's usually the man who's breaking it down. How do you feel about this semantic argument of I didn't call you a bitch, I said you were acting like a bitch.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it's actually very important you see, I do too, But just make that distinction because like I will never likely with kids, you have to do it too, because I make sure that I never call Indy anything. Do you know what I mean? Like, I don't say like you are essentially, but you're acting like this, being this because you know, and and he gets all he's like, you called me an idiot. I'm like, no, I said you're doing something stupid, you know or whatever. And it is a distinction because like, you don't want to essentialize anything you know, So.
Speaker 3: Is you're acting crazy better than you're crazy?
Speaker 1: Not in my marriage, I cannot say that the sea word is off. The seaword has been off for off. The table for about ten years now, a.
Speaker 2: Much different than most people do.
Speaker 1: You cannot, and I've learned all the variations on crazy are also not okay, you're crazy, unstable, sat, it's a friend, and uh, monstrously. I don't know, it's emotional.
Speaker 2: I said you were an emotional nightmare. Nice, you were crazy. There's a difference.
Speaker 1: I said you were completely unhinged. That's not that's different. No, yeah, no, I can't. You know, you have to not say any of those things if you can avoid it. But when you're describing each other's behavior, I mean, no, Like the thing for me that's you know, a huge something that I learned probably too late, not until I was in my thirties, was like the eye statement things, you know, like saying how you feel about something, like I felt this way, right I am? You know I am, like because then it's like kind of indisputable, you know, because if you're telling somebody what they did wrong, it's like that's what you're arguing about when you're just like, look, I'm feeling this way and it hurts me that this happened, and they you know, when you said this, this was my reaction, and like that's indisputable, right, So then the person has to sort of either take defend their action orledge that they didn't want to hurt you or you know, how are I But it's that was like the big thing for me. It was like, I can only be responsible for how I'm feeling, not like how you're feeling or how you were acting.
Speaker 3: I remember in middle school I got one of the greatest lessons ever. We had one of those school meetings where everybody came around and they had some guest speaker and he stood stood on stage and he said, all right, here's here's He was talking about getting into fights with people, in relationships with people, and he goes, here's what I want everybody to do.
Speaker 2: He goes, hold your.
Speaker 3: Hands out as far as you can and then slap them together as hard as you can. One, two, three, go, and everybody went whack. And he went, sorry, do your hands still sting?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So sorry is not going to always make everything better. He's like, I apologize for making you slam your hands together, but your hands still sting, So don't ever forget that that one word doesn't magically make And I was like eleven years old. I was like, oh man, I still think about that every once in a.
Speaker 1: While, Like, that's a good call.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm never gonna like just saying I'm sorry isn't necessarily going to make everything right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, gonna have the feelings right, You're still gonna have Yeah, that's interesting. Adam and Marissa. He is shaving and into his neck, which I find like whatever, But Marissa says it's the most romantic thing anyone's ever done for me.
Speaker 3: It was cool, though she she didn't realize it's answered jet Ski, So yeah, is jet Ski.
Speaker 1: He's gonna have to change the name of his to Marissa to Which one am I going to ride today? Bib, Maurissa one? Or Marissa too.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be I'm gonna be vibing with one of my I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna be vibing with one of my bibs, bib.
Speaker 2: One of my ams today is going to be rattling my balls? Which one?
Speaker 3: Is? It?
Speaker 2: Gonna be?
Speaker 1: All right? And Nick of a Walsit challenge. He makes it a whole minute and ten seconds before he collapses.
Speaker 2: Of course, he at nine seconds longer than I could do it. Those things?
Speaker 1: Really, a minute is I can do a minute? I've done the seven minute workout. Oh no, I guess that's only thirty seconds when you do the seven minute workout. It's the only time I've ever done waal sitz is during that little.
Speaker 3: Out about six six minutes and forty five seconds before that seven minute workout ends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sewan and Nicky in the morning, and he did not sleep a lot because he was on the couch. And then he says they are both bright sons and he's happy to let her be the sun.
Speaker 3: It just sounds like it's his. Everything's like a hallmarky thing. Also, when you sleep on the couch, do you not get a blanket?
Speaker 1: I know, he just lays there with his robe on, with his.
Speaker 3: Face down, with his rob on. It's just like you don't even get a pillow. Get out, like, oh god.
Speaker 1: Well, he says, he goes, this is what it feels like to be in the doghouse. Yeah, Marissa and Adam. He has taken her to the cabin and he says this she is the jet ski the other woman, and there her ice picks in the ceiling, which she admits is a little creepy.
Speaker 2: Uh did you think this was his cabin?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I mean when I first saw the show, when they first go and.
Speaker 1: The visit him to tell him that he is on the show.
Speaker 3: I thought this was the little shack next to the water where you keep all the stuff. And then up the hill was the cabin and this is just where you keep No, that thing that's covered in the tarp, that's the cabin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so you thought it was a boat house.
Speaker 3: Yes, I thought it was a tiny ramshackle boat house where he keeps like, Oh, this is where we keep all the stuff for the lake, and we can sit down here.
Speaker 2: But you walk up these stairs and there's the nice house at the top. No, that's his house.
Speaker 1: He said. It's a little cabin. Like he basically lives to jet ski and like do his work. I guess whatever tech work he does.
Speaker 2: This was not what I was expecting.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Adam points out his degree. He pronounces kumluda cum laude, which I'm surprised you to just say cum loud. I was cum magnum, co cum magnum. I'm loud in college.
Speaker 2: I gotta wear a magnum to come all right.
Speaker 1: Then they're gonna hit the jet ski let's and she's screaming the whole time, which I didn't buy.
Speaker 2: But this cut from like, let's ride the jet ski.
Speaker 1: To just I know, but she's not actually screaming, but just put put in.
Speaker 2: Then Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 1: I mean the thing about jet scheme, it's like, even watching it, they're trying to make it seem excited and thrilling, but like it's not. It's not. You can't tip over in these things, like no, you just are skidding along the water, Like, yeah, it's not. I don't understand the thrill.
Speaker 3: Here the easiest extreme sport, which is why you can rent them to like twelve year olds.
Speaker 2: Really, this is not like a.
Speaker 1: Thing and like if you're like going down like a river or something like dangerous, but he's like wide open on a lake. Yeah, we can do a bunch of fast circles and then we've done the thing. We've done the jet ski. Like the extent of this experience, I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: Multiple times a day.
Speaker 1: It's a really interesting thing.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody's got their own hobby, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I guess it's harmless except that they're loud and obnoxious on a lake. Like I hate hearing jet skis when I'm on a lake person.
Speaker 2: That's why. That's the thing I loved about Airhead is they weren't allowed.
Speaker 1: They weren't huh no.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not allowed to have no. I kind of awake whatever they are. He's he's on a jet ski. But then is that different than the stand up jet ski? Do they even make the stand up?
Speaker 1: They don't even make those anymore. Man, I did the Yeah, I did that when I was like ten or eleven. It's so much fun, very hard. Took me all day. Yeah, and then I told you that I did e foiling, yes, which which is just super fun and it's silent because it's electric engine, so you're just like whoo and you're like you feel like you're like flying above the water and it's hard. It's like a real skill and you have to like, yeah, it's fun. Yeah, super fun. But jet scheme, No, not my champ. All right. Caitlin and Devon talking about their routines, how he hates cleaning the bathroom. They have this little moment over sharing their food and their takeout food. This is where like they're a little you know, they're not they're not connecting completely. He he says, like, don't worry I won't be waiting at home like a puppy dog, and she like jumps in with good, good, good great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I guess there are some people. And it wasn't in this episode as several episodes.
Speaker 3: Down the line, but you really get her friends when her friends come in and you're like, oh, oh they I mean watched it. Oh yeah, well it's well, it's just one of those things where there are some people that relish being away from their partner and having their own life as much.
Speaker 2: As they do being with their partner.
Speaker 3: And hey, while that might work for some people, that's just not my jam with my partner. I don't understand the Hey, if we're going to be in a relationship, I need you to leave for three weeks a month.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, then we're not in a relationship.
Speaker 3: So she's given those vibes of just like, hey, telling me that you want to be with me, or holding my hand or us having an intimate dinner together. That's not needy, bro, that's that's just part of a relationship.
Speaker 2: So something's going on.
Speaker 1: You're clearly a Golden Retriever, not a black cast.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm a black, black retrievers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, she I mean it seems extreme to me too. Yeah, but I you know, he's he's so sensitive to it, Like he says in this scene, you know, I want to respect you're alone time. I don't want to be a needy guy. So he is, like he's trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like I put I put people like this, and it's not just her, it's all people like this in the same kind of category. I do dudes that get married but still need to sleep around a lot. It's like, if you know you're that guy, just don't get married. Yeah, it's nobody's going to judge you for being the single guy for your entire life sleeping around. If that's what you want to do, fine, but don't then get married and then go do it. So it's like, if you need your alone time all the time, don't get married. Don't be in a relationship, right, it's really easy. But don't then jump into a relationship or a marriage or this experiment and then be like, by the way, I need you to not be anywhere near me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, that's what's so interesting about this show in general, is that you have to have It's all about the institution, right, And it's like it's it's like the struggle with the institution of marriage and what people are bringing as their expectation to the because they didn't know who they were getting, so they couldn't you know, you didn't pick the person and then decide on the institution. The institution was decided upon. I want to be married, Yeah, and now they get to discover what that actually means. Yeah, the person and it's so fat, it's so backwards, you know. But yeah, and it is very conservative, right because that's like, you know, you have arranged marriages because culturally, your parents or whatever say marriage will be good for you, and therefore we're going to pick the person to sort of pressure you into the situation that hopefully you want. But yeah, the people that choose to be on this show, it's it's a fascinating thing.
Speaker 3: You could also argue that they, on paper are actually a pretty great couple in that he's a professional rugby player on the road playing all the time, and she wants to be left alone. The problem is he wants her to come. He's like, no, I want you to be with me when I'm on the road. That's what I'm that's what I'd like. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, And what she says in her confessional right here is that she says she just wants a relationship that is easy, and this is the type of relationship she hates. And I'm like, you mean one with another person?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you know exactly to your point? And it's like, what did you think marriage? What? Or what do you I mean, what is your past relationship? What have they been like where you're literally like always alone or not needing to show with somebody who doesn't need anything. Yeah, like that's like a non relationship, you know, like if somebody doesn't need anything anyway. But she's affected by it. She is crying, you know. So it's interesting that she's emotional about it. I don't know, in a weird way. I'm optimistic because he's he's not stomping his feet and saying like I deserve this. He's trying really hard, and I think that that is going to go a long way because if I think if he makes the effort to like take a step back and to give her space, you know, they might be able to meet in the middle, Like she might be able to come too.
Speaker 3: I hope, So, because I mean it sounds like an awful thing to say. I hope so for him, because I really like him. And at this point I'm not team Kate. That's not to say I won't get there, but at this point I feel like he's trying and wants a regular relationship. And when your partner is like, we have a plant iw and that's what.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, Okay.
Speaker 1: And then we get into some of the the Expert sessions with Paul and Lisa doctor Pez what love Them Love the Love the Experts.
Speaker 3: I really Yeah, he strikes.
Speaker 1: Me as a little I don't know what the word is, like he seems put on.
Speaker 2: You think like it's like he's affected.
Speaker 1: Maybe yes, I feel like he's too composed, like he's a little too like he looks too good, Like he's just so like hmm. And I just feel like he's planned everything and I want a little more spontaneity. Maybe I'm overreading it, you know, but she I like the way she is with the couples, and we haven't seen him as much with the couples we've seen.
Speaker 2: I think stunning by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think she's Yeah, I think she's stunning a bit of a question on Doctor Lisa.
Speaker 2: But she don't.
Speaker 1: She seems more relaxed. He's just not relaxed to me, you know. Anyway, they get into a Nick and Courtney's session and they are feeling compatible but not intimate, no kissing. He is simply not sure if she's attracted to him. She's not comfortable. She talks about how he tried to and she's aware of it because he talks about She talks about how he tried to cuddle with her on their honeymoon and she just laid there. Yeah, pepe La pew, pepe cat, the unfortunate, the poor cat. He would just be like, come on, my darling. So she, uh, Doctor Paz asks are there any turn offs? And Courtney says he's not a handy guy. This is too bad, Like, I'm right, but then you know, she just kind of goes off. She's spinning, man, like Courtney's spinning. Now, she's got lots of red flags. Yeah, well, she's just like it's this and then I think if you touch me this long, then it means maybe that. And I said, oh wow, spirals quickly. Yeah, and it's like she's kind of in her head and yeah, you know, they what they all agree. All three of them agree that they're this sort of flirty light spark isn't there, And so a list it recommends touching, grabbing cheeks, trying to neutralize Courtney's fears of you know, physical intimacy, and this is Yeah, it just does seem like for because they got married first before they could have any sort of physical affection for one another. It seems like the equation that Courtney's making, which is that like, if I'm sharing physical affection with my husband, it's basically going to lead right to sex with a stranger. Yes, I mean that that is kind of the truth, but not necessarily, Like the point of this whole thing is that you have to just try, you know. But she's terrified of like kind of being forced to have sex with a stranger, which is totally understandable, of course.
Speaker 2: It's like, but again, you can there's so many ways of being intimate that have nothing to do with sex.
Speaker 1: Yes, but she is, you know, because of the commitment that they've made to each other. This is where like the conceit of the show, I'm just like, oh, I can see you know, between like with her and with Torri, with Felipe too. They they're having a sort of like pretty rational fearful reaction to sure like intense intimacy with somebody that they've only known a few days on camera and then on camera exactly exactly. But it's also kind of like what that is kind of what you signed up for and you're gonna have to I don't know, it's a weird it's a weird aspect of the show that like, Yeah, I don't know, I don't know if it would be different in like real arranged merit situations, Like I wonder how they work that out.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know, back in the days of royalty, they would arrange the marriage. You'd have the marriage and then they literally sit in the marital bed naked with an entire group of people around them watching them consummate.
Speaker 2: So it's not I.
Speaker 1: Have to show the sheet the sheets afterwards to prove that they did it. Yeah, it's like really press Maybe that's what a ver age marriage is, like you have to sleep together first, you married it first, like maths, but you also have to you have to because then it kind of gets it over, because it does seem like Adam and Morissa got it over with you know, you got the job done, and then it's like it allowed it like releases some of the tension, you know. But but like all the rest of them, they don't even have a chance to vibe. I know, maybe maybe that's it. We gotta gotta make that part of the show next season. You do, I do? Now go upset?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Meccas going is going off to work in the morning, says he gave her a kiss, and we get to see them cooking together and they're flirting, but she is now backing off because she's saying she's not going to chase her man and they talk about their relationship history. I thought there was a really cute scene with him cooking the food.
Speaker 2: They're also just this doneing couple together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so like, Yeah, if you were to cast a couple for TV shows, they're the ones. Yeah. And they both discussed missing their parents, you know, like she never had a relationship with her dad at all, and she would post on social media every Father's Day and then when she finally met him at the age of twenty, he needed the DNA test. This is rough, man, This is the kind of stuff you just see haunt and we went through this within the city. Like with Kenny, it's like these wounds just don't go away, you know, And she she knows it, like she says it perfectly. She's like, we're not going to heal each other's wounds, but we can soothe them. So I think it's cool that both of them are so aware of this because I feel like people I know that didn't have a parent, you know, it could linger into their thirties and forties, like they wouldn't be able to talk about it or even acknowledge that they wanted it. So this is cool that these two are both like, ohwhere like we have daddy issues. I have daddy issues, you have mommy issues. Like yeah, like this is the thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's work through it together. Yeah like that.
Speaker 1: But then he laughs and says this thing about like I've been matched with my best friend, which maybe is.
Speaker 2: It could be a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're Yeah, Torri and Felipe go wine tasting. She says they're yin and yang, And she says it's hard to be transparent. She doesn't want to share when she goes through hard things, and she opens up about the fact that her mom had cancer, which he I thought was super sensitive and well, you know, reacted well to He's receptive, and so it's interesting to see how like they they were vibing pretty you know, but she has been holding back, like we're seeing that she was holding back in ways that she wasn't being completely transparent, but sure she is. And then she opens up about her charcuterie board Instagram.
Speaker 2: Which is funny, which this whole bit was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Devin and Caitlin are in session with doctor Paz and they discussed the the the gym morning incident. Caitlyn feels like she is the villain. Lisa tells Devin that less is more, and then when he says is like a very specific thing that he likes eye contact, she really can't do it.
Speaker 2: We can't even look at him. She can't look at him.
Speaker 1: But then when she's asked if she's attracted, Caitlyn's like super quick to say yeah. So Lisa's advice is, yes, you guys have just met. It's only been a few so like just work on as if you're dating each other, which is, you know, the weird backwards way that this whole thing goes.
Speaker 3: I just realized just with her name that if doctor Lisa ever wanted to do another job, she should open a marijuana store and call it the PAS Dispensary.
Speaker 2: Be great, love it.
Speaker 1: Oh God. Nicky and Sean are getting ready for bed. He's washing himself with a washcloth while she removes to makeup.
Speaker 2: He does a whit he does the fastest, like.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're on her side about this stuff.
Speaker 3: Fine, Oh yes, oh my god, yes, gold bathe before you get into my bed. He like, why, he wipes himself down with a towel he found in the ground of a gas station, and.
Speaker 1: She's got a whole process by the time she gets into bed. Man, she just she's like, so, did you wash all.
Speaker 2: The parts exactly?
Speaker 1: She just has the ick so like he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, no, I just I do a quick wipe down like I do a quick horor bath. And I'm man, It's like, dude, you can't go wash yourself. I'm very much a hygiene person too, So yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess, like here's the thing, Like, I'm not super judging one way or the other. But he's clearly just not picking up from her like he could pick it up and be like, you know what, if you like me to be a little cleaner, I'll take a twenty minute shower like yeah, because.
Speaker 2: It's not shower. Yeah, it's not taking a shower.
Speaker 1: I know's he's not picking up the vibes like he's just he's like keep kind of keeps bragging about how little he does. I just get the job done with three minutes.
Speaker 2: Also, did he use the same washcloth on his face that he did on his junk?
Speaker 3: Like? Did he washcloth everything down and call it a day? Like then do it again to brush your teeth? Like, come on, bro, I'm about.
Speaker 1: To judge you. I'm like fine, if somebody doesn't take a shower like every day, I'm like or even like I'm fine with days. Man, it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 2: Ooh ooh, No, I like I like a nice clean body.
Speaker 1: Yeah for yourself. Yeah, you also demanded of your partner.
Speaker 2: No, no, I can't.
Speaker 1: Well that's what we're talking about though, Like.
Speaker 3: But I also probably couldn't be with somebody who would go days without showering. I would just know that right away. And it's not like I wouldn't try to change that person. Hey, you need to start showering all the time. I would just be like, this isn't my person, because I know my person might not be fanatical about it but also wants to be clean. Like I just know that's that's my person. So instead of trying to change a person, That's why I was single for so long. I never wanted to change people to become what I wanted them to be. I just waited to find the person that was my person. And then when I did, I didn't have to change shit.
Speaker 2: That was the joy.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I I just knew I would know if I'm if I'm with somebody's like I shower once a month, I'd be like, Okay, then we're just not gonna I'm not gonna try to change you.
Speaker 2: We're just not supposed to be together.
Speaker 1: Yeah I wonder. I mean for Alex, like she can't handle smells at all, so like no cologne, no even good smells, yeah, no, just any like she is so sensitive.
Speaker 3: What about cooking, like does she like yeah, but no, but like perfume or like any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: And so it's so funny. Even on this trip, I left my toiletry kit at at my parents' house. When we started off on this road trip, so I haven't had deodorant, and I ordered some deodorant to meet us on the road, you know, so I had some and she was like last night, she was like, you know, you know, I don't think you need it. And I was like, okay, really She's like yeah, And I was like that's super interesting, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I barely wear deodorant. I wear almost no deuterant.
Speaker 3: But it's because I shaved my pits, so I don't need I have no hair under my arm, so I don't need deodorant.
Speaker 2: Like ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's strange to me.
Speaker 2: Oh see, No, it's the Oh it's the best.
Speaker 1: It's just to worry was stubble on your.
Speaker 3: Don't you keep it in the shower? You run a blade over it every time you take a shower. No, every two three days. That's it. And I never have to wear it because of all the stuff I've read about the stuff that's in in deodorant, and then if you even get the natural stuff then it just doesn't work. Or if I just shave my pits, I don't need to wear anything and I don't sweat.
Speaker 2: Wow, So it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Alex wouldn't handle me with shape.
Speaker 2: But she also Alex.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know Alex well enough to know that Alex likes more of kind of a rugged guy, Like she likes your natural pheromones, and Harry is good and I'll be in the woods and you smell a campfire like all that stuff is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah right, yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I was surprised. I was like, because I only use natural deodorant, like I don't do you know, yeah, Like, but I was like, really even deodorant. She's like, yeah, you're probably fine, And I was like, oh, maybe there's one last thing to worry about. I don't know, it's great. Maybe I'll have to pull my friends when we hang out. You tell me if I smell and then okay, fair enough. So it's not just I'm not just making the decision based on her.
Speaker 2: Okay, just just change washcloths. That's all I ask. From your face to your junk, that's all I have.
Speaker 1: And Felipe or moving in with her dog into their apartment and then we get this like hidden camera thing of them making out of the couch, which made me very uncomfortable to watch. I kind of felt like I was like I had stumbled on the wrong website, do you know what I mean? I was like, it's a hidden camera. There was like a hidden camera in the ball and they're like making out on the I know, but I feel like there's they were like he was like getting on top of her. I'm like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa? Am I allowed to see this? He felt invasive? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I was like, it actually made me feel a little better about everything because it made me realize that obviously there isn't hidden cameras in.
Speaker 1: Their bedroom, because then they went to the right.
Speaker 3: Right, so it's like, obviously a camera crew comes in and films him in their bedroom. But when the camera crew leaves, they're like, we left one in the living room in case you guys get into a fight or something, cause it's happened, there's been there's been.
Speaker 1: Previous seas only on a hidden camera, or.
Speaker 3: Like somebody will come back at three o'clock in the morning and the other person will be like, where the hell have you been?
Speaker 2: Like that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously the reason they're doing this is to set up what happens next, which is like she comes back after they have sex and sleeps in the couch because of this what she calls a strong dose of flight. And I do. I do think I see the story value in that and like, but it just made me like, oh I feel and the whole thing about this show, it is weird how much it ends up being about sex, you know, Like, I mean.
Speaker 2: A lot of society is I mean, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: And you wonder how many of these people have you know, you have some of them that have clearly said I've never had a one night stand in my life. I'm one of those people. I've never had a one night stand in my life. So I get that feeling.
Speaker 1: You never had a one night stand in your life.
Speaker 2: No, I've never had a one night stand in my life.
Speaker 1: Good for you, actually, I think that's a healthy thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's it's one of those things where I now, I've known somebody for years and then one night will hook.
Speaker 1: Up, right, But you didn't like meet somebody, never have a one night stand and they'll never talk to him again or whatever happened never happened to me in my life.
Speaker 3: And some people are okay with that, and I'm no judgment and some people aren't. So you wonder if there is no marriage involved. I mean we've heard clearly some of the people on the show that are like, I've never had a one night stand. And then there's other people that are probably like, yeah, it's no big deal, and now he's he's my husband or she's my wife. So you know, like Adam, and you know, Adam clearly didn't have a have a problem with it the first night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you get you get those couples.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I've had one night stance and they're never good, Like they're never work, you know. And it's so funny because I feel like everyone says that at a certain age, everyone sort of says that you just realize like I don't know if that's mon or worth it, you know, like uh yeah, like even people that have done it for years, like where they're like, oh, yeah, I spent my twenties having one night stands. Never they're rarely like that was a great time. It's usually like I was kind of sad and desperate and drunk a lot of the time or whatever, you know, And it was like it was like it was a pattern that they were kind of caught in and that they actually didn't get much out of it, I don't know, or maybe you gain some confidence, maybe you're like, you know much more, you know. Like I said, I've only done it a few times, and every time I'm like, I don't think that's worth it. Like I'm much more of a monogamist. All right. Episode seven, Adam and Marissa. He's cooking some grilled cheese, classy meal, grilled cheese. Yeah, no, this is a I mean, these two are great together.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 1: It's interesting though, I know, it's interesting though watching this scene. So they talk about, you know, if they were to dated in college, and you know, he says like, well, I've been wanting to get married since I was eighteen, and she says that, like that's a good thing. She's like, oh, babe, Which is so funny because I would actually feel kind of the opposite in other words, well in the sense that like he's basically saying, I was looking for a person to fill a position in my life, as opposed to I was waiting for a person to inspire me to want to get married, do you know what I mean? Like, which is kind of like, look how I feel you would say, like you were you weren't going to get married unless you found somebody that was worth marrying, right, Whereas like he's saying, like I always wanted to get married and luckily, you know, and that just made me realize that is this entire show. They're all kind of like that in this show, Like this is a show, Well that's about people that want to get married exactly, So people who believe in the institution first and foremost, and they just want to partner that like they can pretzel into that institution. That's so like interesting because I'm the same way, like I I did like the idea of marriage. I think in the abstract, like I always liked having a partner. Let me put that worse, but like marriage was not something that was like definitely going to happen, you know. It was like once I was in a relationship long enough and be like, oh, I think we want to make this something else, Like we want to there's there's another level to this that we can achieve, and then we jumped into the institute to try and achieve that, whatever that was gonna be.
Speaker 3: I remember telling you we were on the set of Girl Meets World for some reason. We were at dinner the night before I was doing one of my episodes and I had been with Sue for like four or five years at this point, and I was like, you know, I'm thinking I'm going to propose, and You're like, just do it. And I went what You're like, just do it? It's marriage, Just do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I remember being like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I was I had just gotten married, and I felt I was feeling really good about it. Yeah, You're like I was feeling yeah, No, I I I'm a pretty I'm a big proselytizer for people to just like go for it, especially when you guys that you had been together for at that point a while, yeah, and almost so happy. We've been together five years before we got married, Yes, but you had already dated before that too, Like it just seemed obvious to me that you were so happy. It was like, just do it. Don't overthink this. Die didn't do it. He bore his wine for her, and she's slightly insecure about drinking, but Adam doesn't seem to mind this. I thought this was a big red flag when they were first, you know, when she handed the when she gave him the fireball thing, and he's like ohh drinking is going to be you know, but he seems like totally cool with her drinking water.
Speaker 3: He does. He seems he's he's as much of a bro and like a dude, and like, if he says vibing one more time, I'm going to find out where he lives just so I can get on my tiptoes to slap him on the knee because he's so much bigger than me.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Other than that, he seems like he's actually a pretty stable guy. Yeah, he's like, yeah, I don't drink, Go ahead, drink, do what you gotta like, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They sit down and have a conversation about their transparency and he says this interesting thing. He says, there are times when they say something and you are so nice, and I'm afraid you're just going with the flow. And I think he's talking about the producers at that moment. Really they yeah, because he's like he's basically feeling her out for like, are you just going along with like me?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, but he doesn't say whenever sometimes I suggest something and you just agree with me. He says, sometimes they suggest something and I'm like, oh, so the producers are sugg. I don't know. It was a weird like slip that. I was like, so they are kind of producing them hanging out, Like why don't you guys go over here and sit down and have dinner and talk? And he's I don't know, I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much in it, but he said the word they, and I was like, so, how much are they producing these situations? I don't know. It's interesting to me.
Speaker 2: It's very interesting. But hey, vill jet Ski and everything, It'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Now we get into an evening where all the couples are going to have dinner together. We see everybody getting ready. I thought it was funny how everybody was excited for the tea to be spilled, like they all were expecting drama. None of them were talking about how they might be the drama.
Speaker 2: No, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Also, this is the closest all of the couples seemed. As they were getting ready to go, hear how all of the other couples weren't getting together. Yeah, and so it was like, wow, it's interesting how common enemies always.
Speaker 1: Well to Kember, they talked about that in the city. I forget who it was. You said, it in the city. It was such a it was like nothing brings people together than talking shit about it someone else.
Speaker 3: Yes, And that's what this whole thing was. The closest I'd ever seen them all together.
Speaker 2: Is it's true, It's true, Like we're getting ready for this.
Speaker 1: Yep. Before they go, Courtney and Nick have this long scene where she's curling her hair and this, yeah, because he really I thought he was being really sensitive and like wanted to hear about her previous relationships. And she admits that, like she hasn't had a good sexual side of any of her relationship. So it's like, okay, so this isn't just a Nick thing, do you know what I mean? Like, it wasn't just about this relationship. And then she says that she was cheated on and she let it happen, which is news I love. Where she goes love is blind and he goes, that's Netflix. Netflix's my favorite life.
Speaker 3: But it's also the thing that was really kind of red flaggy to me is that he was sitting there and he was like, so in your previous relationship of a year with intimacy, and she's like, I'm not going to make you wait a year to have sex, and it was like, I want him to be like, that's not what I was saying at all.
Speaker 1: I know he's clearly asking for just affection and also but just like, what's your timeline for that affection?
Speaker 2: I mean, is kissing? Okay? Is rubbing your shoulders? She instantly went into I'm not going to make you wait for a year to have sex. And it's like, wow, that, oh she's got That's.
Speaker 3: Where I meant, That's where I really started to be like, no, she's not ready for this. She's got a lot of stuff she needs to work out with herself before she can do this really well.
Speaker 1: She says that she says she she you know, interconfessional right here, she says she's coming in with baggage, Yeah, which I think is just it's true, and it's interesting that she didn't realize that. You know, she presented herself as so ready to get married and like hungry for this exact situation. You know, she was so confident and clear in her interviews in the beginning. You know that I was I'm surprised by how how little she knows herself. Yeah, I guess that's what this all is. You know, It's like so some people are so good at presenting a version of themselves and then it's not them, you know, it's not who they are.
Speaker 3: It's also interesting in being coming from a family where the physical, your physical appearance was so important. I mean they were all like a professional body right, Like how you look on the outside mattered a lot more, it seemed like, than what was going on with you.
Speaker 1: And you're right, And she's commented multiple times about how good looking the men are, and she's always talking about looks in this in this.
Speaker 2: Shit, because it's it's really you're right, she's And.
Speaker 1: It's funny because she because she said in her first interview in the first episode, she said she didn't want a bodybuilder because she doesn't want somebody who's like obsessed with the looks the same way that she kind of grew up in. Yeah, and yet I think she is kind of I mean, is this conditioning right, It's just.
Speaker 3: Well, again, if you it's it's something it's almost like an eating disorder, meaning it's something you can control.
Speaker 2: You can go to the gym, you can figure out what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You can make your body look amazing and then maybe people won't notice that inside you're broken because the outside looks amazing, and I think it's that a little bit with her, right.
Speaker 1: Uh So then we find out that Paul and Lisa are watching on cameras. The experts are hovering over this whole dinner, which is super interesting. They don't and the couples don't know that they're there.
Speaker 3: It started like that eminem song, Hey can you lift up my snare? I got no snare in my headphone. It's like, crank up our earpieces, thank you, and it's like, oh God, here we go.
Speaker 1: Paul immediately questions Adam's Hawaiian outfit and his crazy hat, which I thought was an interesting insight, and Paul says, this is how Adam moves to take control by any means necessary, like here's my jet ski, here's my outfit. And I was like, insightful, Paul, like that's a good point, and I don't you know it's interesting because he doesn't he I think Paul meant it kind of as a criticism, but I also just was like, yeah, but it's okay, Like I don't think Adam's dominating the rest of the dinner. In other words, like.
Speaker 3: No, I think he's peacocking for everybody else where. It's like you, I want to make sure that you talk about my outfit. Everyone's going to mention my outfit. Everybody's going to talk about me.
Speaker 1: And at least for everyone's going to acknowledge that we had sex already and that we're doing we're vibing.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm really curious where they're going to end up in, like, you know, three weeks in or whatever.
Speaker 3: This to me is going to be the couple that because the looks matter to him so much, that they're going to stay together after the show ends and you're going to read a month.
Speaker 2: Later that they've broken up. Really, Yeah, that's my call for them totally.
Speaker 1: I'm I've been so surprised by how they're vibing that I wouldn't be surprised if they can make it work.
Speaker 3: Maybe I hope I'm wrong. Love to see an actual love couple come out of this.
Speaker 2: That'd be great.
Speaker 1: Beljia, Lee and Mecha arrive looking fantastic, Peaches and Cream style as they say Devin and Caitlin arrived. They do seem happier a little you know, a little.
Speaker 2: More out of putting on for everybody else.
Speaker 1: Though, nick and Courtney show up and decide to hold hands as they walk in, and then it gets dropped super.
Speaker 2: Quick, instantly, instantly drops.
Speaker 1: And then Nicky shows up alone. She says that Sean had a work thing. The experts say they think that means they had a fight, and we're not sure if he's going to show up. And then Nicki talks about how they went on a double date with Mecca and Belgia Lee. We get a little little glimpse of that double date and apparently there was some conflict and Nicky says they're stuck on repeat. Felipe tells nick positive, but Tory is a little guarded. Cameron and Michelle arrive looking relaxed and into each other. As Paul says, Sean shows up, he says hi to the men, not to Nicky. Presumably he does eventually say hi to Nikki. Tory and Michelle bond over avoidance styles. Tory is being avoidant, whereas Michelle thinks Cameron is. Everyone's just kind of getting to know each other, and then we sit down. Tory leads them in a prayer. I thought this was interesting, like why Adam suggested Tory lead them in a prayer. And this is where I was like, are the producers because the producers know that to and Felipe had this religious conversation, like are the producers egging Adam on a little bit? Are they producing him in saying, hey, why don't you suggest that Tory? You know, like, like I wonder if they set this planted that to try and create a confict that doesn't end up existing, because Felipe doesn't seem to care, but he has said that he's an atheist to her, and so I just found it weird that of all the people to like lead a prayer before dinner, Adam asks Toy to do it. Do you know what I was a little I was like, okay, But then the expert's pouring out that Tory and Felipe are the unifiers of the group because they're you know, the sort of hosts, and they do they do that, you know, they like I was too olidated. Adam and Mersa brag about their awesome, vibing, cool situation just cruising along. Corney presses them a little bit, you know, the experts seem like they're happy, but everyone everyone kind of pushes on them like that they don't have serious compversations. I don't know if they need to. I don't know, man, Like, I'm kind of like I'm team Adam and Marissa.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you what I really really liked about this though, I liked about so One of the things we talked about was the idea of one of the things that made us so uncomfortable about in the City for the Reunion is Andy Cohen sitting there and asking these questions and drilling them and drilling them, Whereas this had the same kind of vibe of a reunion episode, but they were just talking to each other. Yeah, there weren't experts there. There weren't any well you said this to blah blah blah. It was like they just had a meal and they brought.
Speaker 2: Up all their own shit.
Speaker 3: And while it's kind of had the same vibe, it felt like a little less of an inquisition than in the City did. Yeah, So I liked that that it was just them talking and their experts are there, but they're watching quietly, they're not interjecting, they're not you know, it's just them talking around the innertey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so much like again, it's so much about self presentation, right, Like these couples get to present their couple to the rest, to the other couple, yes, and in that presentation discover things and and push back on, you know, each other. But it's it's nice because when they push back, it's from an equal place, right, Like they're all they're all undergoing the same experiment, so there's not like it's not like you're winning or losing necessarily. Maybe it'll get there, but right now, it feels like they're all kind of trying to be supportive of each other as coupling, you know, because they're all equal. They're all like thrown into this kind of crazy together, don't you think.
Speaker 3: They also some of them at least want to look like like it seemed like some of them were putting it on.
Speaker 1: Well, Adam and Marissa want to win, right, yeah, like Adam's going to win the coupling thing. But yeah, he kind of also is like because you've seen them in their dinner, like they are working well together.
Speaker 3: Agree, they're affectionate, they're fun, they're enjoying each other's company. I mean, he might be he might be douching it up a bit for the cameras, but it also kind of seems like the healthiest relationship that's.
Speaker 1: There well, and everybody's pushing it back. And then in a later confessional Nick and Courtney, Nick is saying why he was pressuring Adam because he he was hoping that maybe they would talk about having more thoughtful conversations, and then Courtney bursts out with, he might not have to be that thoughtful when Adam's the hottest of the whole group.
Speaker 2: And she's one red flag after another.
Speaker 1: That's a wild comment. And then she kind of back pedals and realizes what she says, and you know, she's like, I just dug myself a hole.
Speaker 2: Yes, passing aggressively. She's like, oh, I guess I just dug myself a hole.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is that how you read it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally read it that way.
Speaker 3: Like I can't believe you'd be bothered by me saying somebody else is hotter than you.
Speaker 2: And it's like, right, just reverse the situation.
Speaker 3: What if I said the same, Hey, well that that woman's by far the hottest at the table, you feel like shit a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, right, And it was also in the context of he doesn't have to be thoughtful, like so yeah, he can get away with like just being less thoughtful. Because he's so hot. It goes back to what you were saying. I think she's a little like into the looks like yeah, well.
Speaker 3: But it's also she's now mentioned how she's so she's also a comparison chopper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always Felipe and he's the man who can walk in and control the thing.
Speaker 3: Adam's the hottest one here to me, and this is I liked her. She was like my favorite one, and you know, I think she's probably a good person. But this woman is broken. I mean she's there just not ready for red Flag after it. No, she is not ready for this at all. So yeah, that was That was amazing to me how much I changed my opinion on her as I was watching it, and I just.
Speaker 2: Started to feel bad.
Speaker 3: At first, it was like, this guy just wants to be on a reality show.
Speaker 2: He's not going to care about this at all. He's going to give the minimal.
Speaker 3: And now I'm like, I feel like this guy's actually trying, and they just put her with put him with somebody who's not ready for the situation at all.
Speaker 1: Well, so she starts talking about their relationship at the table and the experts weigh in on her body language because she's completely turned away from Nick, yes, which speaks volumes. She's like, no matter what's coming out of her mouth, do you just see her body language? And then fully Bay asks Snick, how does it feel to be rid by your wife? Which is a bit harsh, but also i'd be accurate. And then Nick has this a nice little speech where he talks about how, you know, even though she's not being affectionate with him, he sees her doing these kind things and he gets glimpses of potential in her and how you know. He Courtney talks then about how she's a slow burn, which is what she's been.
Speaker 2: Saying, keep saying that.
Speaker 1: And then Sean jumps in with, like, you're a high performance athlete, you train for that. Maybe just look at this like you're training like you do the physical things that you're and just you know, which I thought was not horrible advice. It's a little intense, but it's kind of the same thing that the experts were saying, which is like just start doing it and feeling it out and then like make it happen naturally, right, And then Nick talks about how comfortable he is and confident, But then Courtney contradicts that and says, I don't know if if Nick is comfortable with who he is, and I just love how in the confessional, then he's like, that's crazy because like of all the things people think I'm cocky, I'm too confident, Like.
Speaker 3: She's just projecting, She's completely projecting all of her insecurities on somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Or my take maybe is that she just kind of wants to get out of this, that's the other thing, And like one way to do that is to undermine him in front of everybody, you know what I mean, Like she can just because like to sit there and talk about Adam being hot and to call him insecure or that he's not confident. It's like she's just kind of pulling the rug out from under Nick. And it's like, yeah, you know, I don't know if he's doing anything wrong here, Like he's working and he's actually pretty comfortable. So I feel like maybe she just kind of wants out and she's just yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's also I think this is where she has the conversation at some point. I think it's before the dinner with Caitlin. Is this the one where she's like, I hate oh, God, I hate.
Speaker 2: Those in depth conversations.
Speaker 3: Yeah and again, and I'm like, you don't want to talk, you don't want to you don't want to touch.
Speaker 2: What the hell are you doing here in here? So yeah, it doesn't doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. Then Courtney spread it out to the whole group and talks about whole I'm not quite sure what she was saying about all the men and how they all need to be more confident or something, and then Marissa steps in and says like, well, there's a difference between vulnerable and confident. This is where I was just like, Marissa, you got some insight killing And Mecca loves this like this is a revelatory moment for him, which I was like, interesting that he had never really thought about this before, that he can like be super confident with his bros, but he can't be vulnerable with them, which is like, yeah, but at least he is acknowledging it, so I thought it was good for him. Mecca makes a big performance about seeing her backside talking about what she's carrying, which I thought was like him overdoing it, and like they definitely the experts called this out. Yeah, and what is interesting that he feels they need to do this, because she immediately then points out like they haven't been intimate and that he's kind of not been attracted to her, which I thought was interesting. He was I don't think he was prepared to admit that, Like, I don't think he was like gonna say any of that. And she's sort of like and it was funny because he's talking about being sensitive and like how open, but she like talks about how he's really like not making the moves on her. And then, as Adam points out, you friend zoned her, which I think he kind of has, Like yeah, super interesting.
Speaker 3: They seem to be very good friends that then are trying to perform for the rest of the table about how into.
Speaker 1: Each other that they are totally and now the fact that he went right to her ass basically and was like talking about how it's like, dude, just it's not happening, Like why are you overplaying this right now?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: And then Nicki has this moment that's an awful acide to hear where she turns to Sean and says, trying to figure out how to speak on this relationship without embarrassing you, and.
Speaker 2: It's just another cut at this guy.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Michelle and Cameron talk about their relationship, how they're hitting it off. They point out how the experts point out how Michelle's looking at him does seem like they're doing well, and then Devin and Caitlyn present their relationship. Devin, I've just man, he articulates this stuff so well.
Speaker 3: They even say that the experts are like, when did Devin become like the voice of reason of this he's great?
Speaker 1: Well, I think they just assumed he was a meathead because he like plays rugby or whatever. But the truth, he's incredibly sensitive. He's like you know, and he's he's also like in a way that you see Sean not able. He takes it to heart, like he's actually adjusted his behavior, like he's he's saying like, I am too needy, or she thinks I'm too needy. I'm an instant gratification guy. I cannot get that I'm not gonna be that I need to work on us and not make this about me, which I just wanted to like have that on a loop for Nicki and Sean because it's like that's their problem is.
Speaker 2: That he also seems to be putting in the work.
Speaker 1: He's putting in the work, and he's saying like, it's not going to be about me winning or proving that I'm the better person. I'm just going to adjust for you. And if you think I'm needy, I'm gonna try and not be needy. Yeah, just a little bit of that for Nicky and Sean would go so far. But it's the hardest thing to do. This is the hardest thing to do in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it because in a way, it's just it's this is a very basic way of saying it, but it's relinquishing power exactly, and that's you have to It's not you're not you're not trying to one up your partner.
Speaker 2: It's you're figuring it out as you go.
Speaker 1: So yeah, uh, Felipe and Tory are doing great. He says he's committed. An in Tory tells the table about how they were intimate but then she slept on the couch.
Speaker 3: All these open to kind of like they I know, they probably have to talk about all this stuff, but that's. Yeah, you're at a table of people, we had sex and then well that's the thing they all have to It's so weird, like to just have these people like Yo High five and Adam and Marissa and who are now weird? Do you think you're allowed to say like I don't want to talk like did you guys have sex?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not going to talk about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you think that the producers are there going like, no, you have to bring you have to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 2: You think they can just be like, no, we're not bringing it up.
Speaker 1: I bet you they could draw the boundaries.
Speaker 2: I think so too, I would hope anyway.
Speaker 1: But it is, it seems built into the show unfortunately.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, that's I guess the point.
Speaker 1: All right. Then Nicky and Sean challenging a couple of days.
Speaker 2: It's just brutal.
Speaker 1: Uh. Nicky says that Sewn is framing me as the problem. Yeah, we just it's tough. Devin is good, he jumps in. He says like, both of you think there's right, there's too much ego and damn. Like at this point, the experts point out that Sewn pulls out his phone while Devin is talking to him, and it's a real bummer because like this is exactly the advice that Sean needs. Yep, yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 3: The thing that was interesting about this though, is also the fact that when Mecca and Belgia Lee went on a double date with him, they said, I gotta be honest, Niki, we didn't see any accountability from you the entire night long.
Speaker 2: Like they put it on her.
Speaker 3: After he pulls out his phone. I was like, oh my god, this guy. And then they're wait, she's not taking any accountability.
Speaker 1: I was concerned. I was weird about by the editing because like, after this dinner, she you know, goes into him and says, like you were being shitty. Yes, but he didn't actually talk in the edit, like you didn't see him talking at all. No, he just sort of like shut down while she talked. So I'm curious, like what was anti good out because or is she just really reading.
Speaker 3: Like yes, or she's pissed that when the other couple they were with was saying you didn't take any accountability, you didn't do this, he didn't jump in and defender. Maybe maybe like no, I was having a problem too, I mean something like that, but it seemed he just shut his mouth.
Speaker 2: At least, you're right.
Speaker 3: They edited it to seem like he didn't say anything, and she really came off looking pretty terrible after that that death, I thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, but also, I mean, she's just not into it. Why do you want to keep arguing in circles with somebody who like is clearly like they're just not getting it, like they're not Yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree this, they just shouldn't be together.
Speaker 3: She has She got the ick the second she saw him, and it never went away.
Speaker 1: Adam says or Adam asked them if they're just gonna call it or why aren't they or just calling it, and Sean says no, he's a committed man. Mecha chimes in saying there's room and for love and growth. I don't know. All right, on the way out of the dinner, Nick and Courtney in the car and the Jetta, which I guess she doesn't think is a good enough car, didnt get it. But then she also railed into him for not opening the door, and he's like, I've opened a ton of doors for you. So this is what I mean. I feel like she just wants out and she's trying to make it like it's a hen problem when it's like, no, I don't think it is, Like he's really trying and I don't know, and then she makes it again a comment about all the guy who's being good looking and whatever, nicky and Sean. Afterwards, she calls him out for being shitty the way he presented himself. He this is where he says he promises he's not going to fight anymore, but she says fighting is their marriage, and she walks away, And I didn't know if this was it like I thought. I thought it call out. Then they made up in the kitchen and then she wants to have a literal break. He says, proximity is good, but they're not gonna They're not gonna I guess they're staying in the apartment together, but they're not gonna have conversations. And that ends this episode of narrative First Sight.
Speaker 2: Are you out?
Speaker 1: No? I'm I wish this were like a movie documentary where I kind of like could ingest like a three hour you know, because the way that each episode has to like build up to a commercial break and like it still has that reality show manipulation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the three act three acts dark.
Speaker 1: But as a study of like how people are, like this whole notion of getting married and then realizing what a relationship is is really fascinating and and I am learning a lot, and I feel like I'm confronting things that, you know, I have to think about, like, yeah, what would I be like, what would my expectations be? What do I think? You know? But in general, I do feel like it's a it's a pretty traditional show, I mean, and that's the whole point. Marriage is a traditional institution, So like, yeah, it's it's it's forcing me to think about things and be uncomfortable with with conversations like the ones Nicky and Sean are having, which is like shitty. And I've been in those arguments, you know, Like I've had those kinds of long like we're going in circles, we're all trying to be the right yeah, say there, And I hate it, hate reliving it.
Speaker 3: I know. That's how I felt within the city because I'm so used to hanging out with my all my rich friends in New York City when they're having babies and getting in the fights.
Speaker 2: Very too close to home, rider, too close to home.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do a very quick uh what an arrangement, Hey angler, what an arrangement?
Speaker 2: And we're gonna do today.
Speaker 3: Consuelo Vanderbilt, Yes, of the Vanderbilt Vanderbilts. So she married Charles Spencer Churchill, the ninth Duke of Marlborough, on November sixth, eighteen ninety five, at Say Thomas Church in New York City, and it was orchestrated all by the bride's mother, Alva Vanderbilt, and paired the American railroad heirist fortune with a British aristocratic title.
Speaker 2: The problem was he was Baroke, which was the.
Speaker 3: Only reason that he married her, and he used all the money to kind of get back into the good graces of everything in England. Consueler, she was secretly in love with and engaged to Winthrop Rutherford, but her mother, great name Winthrop Rutherford, forced her to match obviously with Vanderbilt because she wanted her to save her whole family. So she essentially said, if you go marry for love, you're gonna destroy us. You're gonna kill us. Put it all on her. The marriage was completely loveless from the start that Duke reportedly confessed on their honeymoon he only married her to save the ancestral estate. They legally separated in nineteen oh six and divorced in nineteen twenty one, and then she happily remarried to a French aviator.
Speaker 1: Jacques Balsaon, not Winthrop Je.
Speaker 3: My guess is he was bitten by a rat or something and died of the dark plague or whatever happens in eighteen ninety five in Britain.
Speaker 2: But that Consuelo.
Speaker 3: She finally found marriage after her mom pond her off on a rich guy who, on their marriage night said I only married.
Speaker 2: You for the money.
Speaker 3: I love you, honey, And that seems pretty late eighteen nineties, like, yeah, well he was I think their kid. It was either their kid or their grandkid. I think it's their kid was Winston Churchill. Oh wow, yeah, yeah, so she married the Vanderbilts, married into the Churchill family.
Speaker 1: So we're really only like two generations away from like completely arranged marriage. Yeah, still being for money regular thing.
Speaker 3: I found a phrase, I guess used in the early eighteen hundreds and all the way through the early nineteen hundreds, which is called a dollar princess. And so a dollar princess is literally somebody who's married off just for the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dowry ough a dollar princess. You've been listening to Pod meets Twirl, the Vows have been spoken, the experts have weighed in, and our completely offhand conversation has now become a season long commitment. We'll see you next time, trap you're smoking