Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios.
Speaker 2: Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Radio. News.
Speaker 2: This is the Closing Bell on the Stock Movers Report. The companies making moves at the close of U.S. trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenevek, Romain Bostic, and Katie Greifeld.
Speaker 3: Let's actually go to Autodesk first. Autodesk crossing the wire. The knee-jerk reaction for the software maker down about 2% here. Adjusted EPS did rise to about $ 3. 30 year-over-year from $ 2. 62 the previous year. Net revenue in the quarter about in line with estimates at about $ 2. 05 billion. The street was looking for $ 2.
Speaker 4: 01.
Speaker 3: Billings in the quarter also slightly above estimates at about $ 1. 85 billion. The street overall was looking for $ 1.
Speaker 1: 81.
Speaker 3: Here's your forecast. Tim, Autodesk saying that revenue for the current quarter will be in a range of $ 2. 13 to $ 2. 14 billion. The street was looking for $ 2.
Speaker 1: 08. Okay, that's Autodesk. I'm looking at what's going on with Workday right now. A lot of eyes on this company after what happened today and yesterday with shares of Salesforce. Workday second quarter revenue does meet estimates. Shares in the after hours up two-tenths of one percent. The company sees fiscal year subscription revenue coming between $ 9. 94 billion to $ 9. 95 billion. The estimate was for $ 9. 95 billion. So pretty much in line there. The company sees fiscal year adjusted operating margin at 31%. It saw about 30.5%. And the estimate was for 34.5%. Second quarter revenue coming in above estimates ever so slightly at $ 2. 65 billion. And the company sees third quarter subscription revenue at $ 2. 52 billion. Shares of Workday down about 1.2%. Remember, there was that interest or reported interest earlier this year from Silver Lake that caused shares to move higher.
Speaker 3: Absolutely here. And of course, not all software companies are treated equal. We talk about the big gainers on the day, Tim and Lisa, and one of them was a software name. And I think where a lot of folks are wondering whether we can take sort of what was out of Salesforce and maybe extrapolate into what we would hear from Workday and Autodesk. But obviously, every software company has a little bit of a different take here on how they fit into the AI story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a great conversation with Brody about this earlier. I mean, we were told there was going to be a SaaSpocalypse, right? And even though a gain like today we're seeing with Salesforce, with the stock up the most going back six years, it's still down around 5% on the year. So it speaks to the challenges that I think some investors in the public markets still have when it comes to the effect of these AI companies on some of these cloud providers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I get it. Yeah. And it's this idea, though, too. It's like, OK, well, if you're just sort of a generalist in this space, maybe AI does eat your lunch if you're more entrenched, which is sort of the argument of Mark Benioff at Salesforce would make that the one you're more entrenched into some of these enterprise projects. to some of these big corporations and their enterprises, then maybe the AI story isn't as much of a threat. But as you said, the jury's still out. Yeah, there's been a big rally in these names today and over the last two weeks, but all of these names are in the red.
Speaker 1: It doesn't hurt to have Dario Amadei join you side by side to talk about a partnership between Anthropic. Oh, absolutely. What some people say is like, okay, the company that is the biggest threat to these SaaS companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that doesn't hurt.
Speaker 3: Trust me, when I have my annual review, I'm going to see if Dario can join me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe you might have to settle for Claude. Bad news.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Who knows?
Speaker 4: That's really the question, though, for these software companies. Like, can they stay resilient in the age of AI? Do they create their own AI product or do they choose to partner with other companies, at least for Workday? The CFO saying in the results, our results reflect continued momentum across the platform. AI emerging as a strategic driver of customer expansion is look, it's not much to lift the shares right now. The stock down about 4% now in the after hours.
Speaker 1: Two questions also about what these companies are doing with cash. The company authorizing an additional $ 4 billion in share buybacks. That's Workday. Shares down in the after hours still by 4.3%. Once again, fiscal year adjusted operating margin. The company sees fiscal year adjusted operating margin coming in at 31%. That's an increase of what it saw earlier, which was 30.5%. Like you said, though. With that narrowing of its fiscal year subscription revenue forecast, not doing much for shares in the after hours.
Speaker 3: All right, now let's move on to the chip space here and away from the software space for a second. Marvell's earnings crossing the wire right now. Second quarter revenue does beat slightly, $ 2. 74 billion. The street was looking for $ 2. 71 on average. Adjusted EPS, $ 0. 94 a share. That's about a penny above the average of street estimates. Take a while here to dig in to try to find the forecast, but overall... The company is saying, at least on the surface, that it is expecting gross margins of roughly about 58 percent, which is around what the street was looking for here. So no real material up in that margin guidance.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is Marvell Technology. Shares down about 1.5% in the after hours. These earnings, they continue to come. Looking at shares of Ulta Beauty right now and looking at headlines, the company sees fiscal year earnings per share coming in at $ 28.
Speaker 2: 70 to $ 29.
Speaker 1: It saw $ 28. 36 to $ 28. 80. The company sees fiscal year comp sales increasing 3.2% to 3.7%. That's an increase from what it earlier saw, which was 2.5% to 3.5%. Shares of Ulta Beauty in the after hours up about 2.8%. Looking backwards, the company's second quarter earnings per share coming in above estimates at $ 6. 55. And second quarter comp sales coming in way above estimates at 3.8%. The estimate was for 2.44%. Ulta shares higher by about 2.8%.
Speaker 3: And it raises a lot of questions about this idea of where consumer spending stands. I mean, you think about just how much of a mixed picture it's been out of a lot of these consumer-facing and retail companies. You have some companies reporting great growth, others still struggling. I thought it was interesting when we had last week, we were talking on the program about Walmart and the idea that a company that actually raised its guidance still got hit in the market, primarily because of that seemingly potentially slowdown in some of that sequential same-store sales growth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you think about where the consumer is, it's really a mixed bag remain. Like you said, we just had Abercrombie Earnings the other day, that stock blowing it out of the water. Ulta Beauty, another consumer-focused name. Look, the read right now, at least from the second quarter, is positive, a positive read on the consumer. We do still have to see that forecast, though.
Speaker 3: But did you guys see the results we got this morning out of Dollar General and Dollar Tree and this idea sort of like how you have two companies kind of in the same space kind of moving? in different directions for different reasons. And it gets to this idea. I mean, we're beyond K-shaped or whatever people are doing trying to describe this economy. I think we just have to kind of come up with a new letter or shape to sort of characterize it.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Treasury Secretary would like to see a C, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He calls it C-shaped.
Speaker 3: The Treasury Secretary. What's he up to these days? We haven't heard from him in a couple of days.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street. And for the latest market-moving headlines, listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg.com, and on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.