Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're broad and bision. I wish like just for this part, well, do you have to give me the log into the to the Brodhabish and I g Manadra because I need for them to see like this, just that part, like just how much soul I put into my body for them, Like when.
Speaker 2: I want to say, you know you have the log in I do.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: I know you don't remember, but you have them. You could find them. They're somewhere in the Middle Earth that is Google Drive.
Speaker 1: How are you just.
Speaker 2: Trying to stay alive in this world? I mean, I cannot believe we're I it feels like we've gone back in time and we're at the beginning of Marchigan when when the world was ending. And I'm just like, how is America still not putting on a damn face mask. It's sad, It's real, real sad. But let's see some bright spots have happened. Last week I talked about we had a general primary, not a general election primary, but a primary in our in New York last week, and mondere Jones was this uh. He was running for a congressional seat and he won and he could potentially be if he wins in November the election, the first openly black lgbt Q a member of Congress, which would be amazing. So I would just like to in honor of Pride Month, and I think today is National Pride Day. I'm not sure exactly, just honor mondare Jones and he's from our county. He's from our town, and I saw him speak at a Black Lives Matter rally a couple of weeks ago near our house, and he was really I mean, he's just a great speaker, and I'm so proud of him and so excited.
Speaker 1: I think I think I saw that that post and I think not post, but like I think I saw that story on Facebook and I was like, Yes, the people are speaking, they are speaking in the polls, and I love it. I actually got a text the other day that I was really grateful for because I you know, I moved to this house last year, and then I because up until literally last year, my address was still quote unquote my parents' house. Even though I've moved several times between moving out of home moving away from home, I just never felt like any place I lived was home enough to have my address, and so I got my license in this address, and I just thought to myself here in Newark, and I thought, wait, am I registered? And sure enough, when I was thinking it, I got this text saying, how are you registered to vote? Not sure? Check here? And I did check, and I am registered to vote here in Newark. So I'm like, yes, I'm ready because our primaries are coming up very soon in a couple of weeks. So and Superman has been registered because he's born to raise here and he votes, and so I'm just excited because I'm like, yes, this will be my first time voting in Newark. I know exactly where to go in Westfield, where my parents live, but I'll have to do my Googles to see where I go here. So yeah, I just I feel hopefully that change gonna come, and it's going to come through these votes. That if we could go out to march for Black Lives Matter, we certainly obviously can go out to the polls, and I believe that we will do so.
Speaker 2: Even in our area. It felt, I mean, this was our first time living here and actually voting in a primary election. But the crowd was insane, and my neighbor Miss Paulette, Hey, miss Paullette, who probably has no idea how podcasts work or what they are, but she's amazing. She's a Jamaican immigrant and she oh, I love her so much and she I call her my little auntie. She told me she's a oh crap. What are those people she's been certified to administer? Like, what do you call them? They're the people who are the Board of Elections hire to be there at the polls. And anyway, she's one of those people and she's been trained and certified. And there was this huge dearth of these people who've been certified this year, like they just didn't have enough, and so they dramatically decreased the number of polling places and you're seeing this across the country too. But she told me that she really saw a difference this year in the number of youths, young people who were coming out fresh out of high school, you know, eighteen first election, and that gives me a lot, a lot of hope. So you have to get out there and vote. And you're absolutely right if you've got cousins or young people who are angry and out there protesting, I think this is you know, this is the next step. People have got to vote, so that gives me some hope. You know, if we survive the rona, then maybe we can make some change this November. If we get there, let's make it, y'all.
Speaker 1: Yes, we gotta survive the rona. My, my, my, the rona. Yeah, it's for those of you you're too young. There's like my Sarona. I'm not only sure that means anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone who listens to us is too young for some people may in other news.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we've.
Speaker 2: Both been going on our own own mortgage journey recently.
Speaker 1: Do you notice s whight sidebar that we go on journeys at similar times? Marry similar times, how similar times? You know, it's just my time to have a baby and then we'll be we'll be twin feaes.
Speaker 2: You go ahead, just you know, what are you ugly? Let me know you never know? Like so, but mortgage rates have been going down, down, down, down, down down down since I remember back in January or February starting to get starting to get that, like through the fog of my postpartum craziness, being like, should we be refinancing? Mortgage rates are going down cut to six months later, and I finally ran out of excuses in terms of like I don't have the bandwidth, but rates were still going down. They hit historic lows sub three percent last week, and finally I got my stuff together and started my mortgage refinance journey. So our our goal with doing the mortgage refinance, which was different than yours, Tiffany, was to reduce our monthly payment and to get a lower rate, because we got our mortgage a couple of years ago and our rate was four point four percent, I think, and that was, you know, the best rate you can get at the time. I was able, and I did some shopping and just my experience doing shopping, Like I got to tell you guys, first of all, it's a lot of work, and they should be a lot more patient with people who were trying to refinance right now in the middle of a freaking pandemic, because it's when do you have the time like I had. I've been talking to these two companies, like going back and forth with each other for the past maybe four weeks, you know, a half hour conversation here, a twenty minute conversation there. I'm telling you, it's actually a pretty good negotiating tactic, like my own lack of availability because how many times have I been told this rate's going to expire tonight? Yeah, this rate is only going to be good through the weekend. I'm like, well, sorry, I forgot And how about that rate? Oh, actually it's gotten better.
Speaker 1: Yeah I got that too. I was like, ooh, yes, ooh, I can't promise, you know, And my thank goodness for Angelie, my my financial planner. She's like, girl, the economies and shambles. They're not raising rates anytime soon. If anything, they're likely to go down. Let's tell them to settle down. Yeah, exactly. You can't be pressured. So your journey was different because you were doing a cash out REFI, which is when you refinance and then you take out money from your equity, so they give you money like cash in your pocket that you can use for whatever purpose.
Speaker 2: So what's what's going on with yours? Because I locked in my rate last week and I'm almost across the finish line and.
Speaker 1: What was your rate? Oh?
Speaker 2: Two point eight? Two point eight seventy five is our interest rate in the APR, which is inclusive of fees and other costs and stuff, is two point nine.
Speaker 1: That's great mine. So I don't know if a cash out REFI is different as far as rates, like you know, like you know, sometimes certain things you're doing, like for examp, sure, like if I'm if I was renovating my like my home, like an investment property, rates are going to be higher because they're like, oh, this is considered like a construction loan. So I wonder. But anyway, my rate that had locked in was three point twenty five. But like I said, I don't know if that different because I was doing a cash out REFI.
Speaker 2: It's that it's also I mean there's so many that's it's how much you're borrowing can influence your rate. It's where you live. I mean it's hard. You can't really compare apples to apples talking to someone else because you can't just you can't like replicate the exact same variables, especially if you're in different states. So don't. Yeah, you know what's the best rate if you shop and you compare.
Speaker 1: Exactly And I did, and I say, that was the best rate that I think. I it was like it was like three or four feet people we kind of went through and that was the best rate, and plus two like I said, are my credit score and Superman's credit score of mine is like a I think, like an eight osamon or something like that, and he's like a seven ninety or something to that effect. So great credit. We had all the things, so I was gung ho. My plan was the house we purchased cash. We renovated a cash so we you know, we don't have any mortgage. So I was like, you know what, we've got money sitting in the house. What if we pull it out and then activate it, like, you know, invest it. We are working on renovating a second property that we purchased that ten thousand dollars taxied who brought from the city. So the renovation it's like one fifty because it's like it was basically a tear down, but it's a small, one family and for one fifty we'll get it like really like awesome, and it'll be worth about two twenty five to fifty by the time we're done. So I was like, oh, we'll put it out. We could put some toward that and some other things. But the process has taken longer than I thought, and I didn't like the number that came back when we had the appraiser come to the house, although that's not super critical only because we're not selling. We would just be financing. But really kind of like grinded my gears, if you will, is they were like, I'd made a large deposit into my savings account. I guess the one that I put down as this is where I'm getting the money from, or this is like to prove like I don't know, I guess we have money, you know. And so I made a large deposit. Because what happens is like I would say, I do this thing called I called up my allocations, and I usually do the monthly. Whereas I get paid for my company in two ways. I get paid a salary which is honestly fairly low, and then I also get an owner's draw so the owner's draws. When everything is said and done, we pay all the bills, we said, aside for taxes, we said, it's by for savings, we said, we said, said what's left, I as an owner will draw you know, either some or whatever what's left after all everything is paid, and so the owner's draws can add up. And so what happened was I had not allocated my owner's draws for months just because it's just been so busy. So it was like from not a few times, but tens of that. It was thirty two thousand dollars and be all the way transfer y'all know, I like numbers, but it was for months. It wasn't like for one month. So it was thirty two thousand dollars because it had been I had not done it, I think an owner. I think I had not done allocations since like December. So it was just sitting sitting, sitting, and I was like, oh, you know, I haven't made this transfer, collected all of my owner's draw money that was sitting in my checking account. I was like, I'm going to put it in my savings and they were like, dud dude, red flag, where'd you get this money from. I was like, oh, I have a business, as you know, because I filled out the paperwork. Here it came my business show us. So I showed how the business depositive money in my my my big bank account Wells Fargo, which I'm leaving but don't judge me, but Wells Fargo, and how I transferred that Wells Fargo money to my ally account, which is the account that the bank has on like you know, on their lists or whatever. And they were like, hmm, yeah, not good enough. I would like to see all your business records from the last I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what underwriting is no joke?
Speaker 1: What I write that? Yes, So honestly, today I was thinking about it and I said to myself self, because so the house came back a praised at three ninety, which to me it's ten to twenty thousand dollars low, but whatever, and the intention was to pull out to eighty five, and I was like, huh, so I just was really thinking. I said, so it was going to leave us with a mortgage about twelve hundred dollars a month, because because we don't have a mortgage now, we pay taxes out of pocket every quarter, and we paid insurance at a pocket I just paid the insurance at lump sum for the year. So twelve hundred is the reason why. That's why that our mortgage is so low, because it doesn't include taxes and insurance, which most mortgages include. So twelve hundred is not an amount that is a stress on our financial budget. But I thought, I'm gonna pull out two eighty five, and the way the business is going, I'm going to see that money back in a few months plus some change. So why again am I pulling it out to have a more you know what I mean? I just so I called Angelie, who's my financial planner, and I said, hey, Angelie, because even when I told her about the cash out refine and what did she thinks? She was like okay, but she's like, I know how you feel about debt.
Speaker 2: You sure?
Speaker 1: And I was like, yes, because I can put that money to work and it's cheap, and she was like okay. So and I told her today, I said, I don't know something about out them asking for like my life's blood for proof just irritated me. And I don't think I want to do it. And she's like, honestly, Tiffany, it's not bad or good, like you certainly can just you know, and you know the next six months actually put that amount of money toward towards, you know, your investment strategy that we've set aside for you, or you can pull that out now and then kind of pay it back to yourself over time. But she's like, you don't need to, you know, if you're if you're not feel uncomfortable. So I decided I didn't I have to write my mortgage comb so he'll be thrilled, but I'm not going to do the cash out refine. I did pay for the appraisal, but whatever.
Speaker 2: Do you think it was a little bit of the because I think there's so much like people are talking about how low rates are and there's a little bit of like it's like kind of like you're missing out on a sale.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Do you think that was a little bit behind the reason too, for y'all for you kind of going for this because I don't. Because I also felt like the pure pressure everyone's that everyone at work is talking, especially at my company, Lending Tretey. You know, we're all about mortgage. So I have been like, I mean, I talked to my mortgage team and they're all excited about it and you know, and that got me. But luckily I didn't have time to get around to her like a long time.
Speaker 1: It was a mix. It was it was that and I'm not gonna lie, it was the market. I was like, ah, am I missing out? Because I thought to myself, in six months, who knows what the market's gonna do? Am I missing out on? Like the market deals? Now? So I can put this money to work. Now, you know, even though Angelie likely wasn't going to just throw that amount of leney into the market. She was going to like do some dollar cost averaging and like, you know, put money in regularly, just a larger lump sum.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So I missed that. So you were going to take money out from your equity and then you were going to invest it, like put it in the market, because I.
Speaker 1: Figured that, like, well, if I borrow at three point two five percent, I can certainly make more than three point twenty five in the market. This money's being wasted sitting in the house.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I'm stressed. Now I'm like, okay, I see, but.
Speaker 1: Do you see I was like, wait, and so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sense if you have the tolerance for it, but you trusted your gut, it sounds like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I mean maybe we're on the same page about debt. Don't nobody want that? And I was like, oh, you know, And I was just like, and.
Speaker 2: It's one thing to know intellectually that average stock market return of seventy eight percent, but then it's like it's the stomach. Can your stomach asks the risk, you know.
Speaker 1: And also too, there's something that I like about and that's what Angelie said, which I really that's why I like her as my financial planner because she she leaves room for, you know, the part of me that is like, Okay, I know technically this makes sense, But Tiffany, she asked, like several times, I know how you feel about debt. I know how you like the safety of the fact that your house is paid off because you did lose your house during the last recession. Are you going to be okay with that? And I was like, sure, yea, ya ya yea, yeah, yeah, yah yah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yea.
Speaker 2: Millions and millions of people do this all the time. I can do it, I know.
Speaker 1: And then I started to think about it and I say, you know what, I don't think I'm gonna be okay with that because I just, you know, the last recession did shake me to the core, and it's okay to admit that. Yes, technically, is there a better place for my money, Yes, but it's not the worst thing, you know, not to jump into the market right now. And the truth is I am putting a significant amount toward it's just it won't be a lump sum it'll just be. And the truth is, Angelie wasn't gonna take the whole lump sum and throw it to the market at one time. She was going to employ dollar cost averaging, which is when you put in consistently put in basically during the same time a month, like maybe it's twice a month, or the fifth and the sixth or the or just once a month, but you basically put money in at the same time every month, and you can increase the amount, but basically what you're doing is you dollar cost averaging versus timing the market. People time the market like I put money in now because the market is low, it's gonna pop tomorrow. You don't know for sure if you time the market, if you're going to be at the right time. But with dollar cost averaging, if you put your money in on the fifteenth of every month, there are gonna be some times that you get the market when it's low, there'll be some times you get the market when it's high, and on average you will get the average return by by nature of just just consistently putting your money in around the same time every month. And so she was going to do that anyway. So I was like well, why give her a lump sum if she's going to be putting aside, like do dollar cost averaging with this lump sum when I can just then give her the amount of what that would be monthly anyway, and so and then feel safer about, you know, not having a mortgage. So, yeah, I made that decision today and it was a it was a it was a goods one. But definitely refinancing right now. If you're interest you can save one percent or yeah, one percent, two percent. A friend of mine refinance, she's saving four hundred bucks a month. That's that's not a small change.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's huge. Yeah, and I want to so let me So that's a really great story. And I think Tiffany, I mean not so much of who you are and your ethos is around not owing money and you know, being debt free. And I'm glad that you stuck to what makes you comfortable because you can still win. It's just a different way of winning. You don't have to do it everyone else's way. So I'm proud of you. Let's look at you saying no to the banks. Also, I kind of feel like when you had to answer to a bank, it just got it ruffled you because I mean, you built your own company, so you have to answer to anybody like you're the boss, and now they're trying to tell you to show your work, and you're like, how, I kind of feel like this was you like a reminder that, Okay, this is why I don't owe anybody anything. I'm the GDP budget neista and I'm debt free. Just a little bit, am I projecting? Or is that part of it too? No?
Speaker 1: I just honestly, I'm still trying to work through my working from a place of fear, and so I need I realized financially, I need to feel safe more than I need to feel wealthy. Like that doesn't move me because to me, wealthy rich, that's subjective that can go at any time. I don't care about that, you know, I care about security and safety. And I realized that in the quest for like, oh, I'm gonna put this money to work it to make me my returns. I'm like, yeah, girl, but is that how you're gonna Is that gonna help you sleep at night knowing you're making seven percent on money that you've borrowed from three percent? No, what's gonna make you sleep? Well at night is knowing that your house is paid off and that you are working towards your goals, but slow and steady, and so you know, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's only something wrong when it, you know, it really does start to hinder you. Like before I met Angelie, when I was just saving everything, I had like four years worth of savings in my savings account, and I knew, girl, this doesn't make any sense. This money is literally losing its value year after year. So that I knew. So that although it adhere to my sense of safety, I know, I knew I'd gone to extreme with it. And so I'm still, you know, I'm trying to balance and manage that feeling. But yeah, I definitely don't feel like bad as much. It's to I feel like anybody trying to be homeless.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, well okay, so I opposite. Today I finally finished my paperwork and got to the next step in the underwriting process. So, like I said, we were aiming to reduce our rate. We had a four point three seven five We were able to secure a two point nine to five to two APR that the interest rate was two point eight seven five so, and I wanted to and I want to talk about this because my parents are My mom and my stepdad are also trying to refinance right now and they just bought their house less than a year ago. But that's how different their rates are today. And they actually were approached by a lender, like they didn't even go out to shop for a mortgage refive. Lenders were straight up, oh, you can save this much on your rate. I'm going to actively call and recruit people because they know that everyone's talking about this and they're trying to get new customers because even if rates are really low, that means the borrowing is cheap for us. But the banks still make hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on the size of your mortgage over those thirty years that you're going to carry it, right, And I've also seen some people who have you know, you've owned your home for a lot longer, it may work out for you because rates tend to be lower for a fifteen year mortgage if you refinance into a fifteen year loan and then you know, reduce your rate and all that. So there's a bunch of different strategies when it comes to refinance. But in our particular case, it was about lowering the rate, lowering our monthly mortgage costs. And I started my journey through my company. It's called lending Tree, where a marketplace where you can shop and compare rates for different loans. And so I was like, let me use my own company, and lending Tree matched me with two lenders. The best negotiating strategy is to at least get two quotes, two at a minimum. I stuck with two because it's all I freaking had time for. So very quickly, I had the loan estimate. And the loan estimate is all you need. And this is what I was trumpling my mom about. My mom is like she was on the phone with them for thirty minutes, and I was like, just get to the chase, Like they need your credit, give check your credit, and they can give you a loan estimate. They just need a few pieces of information. You know, it's very quick. You don't need to waste your time going through a long business pitch from the loan officer. All you need just is like, give me the loan estimate, take my info, yeah yeah, run my credit. It's fine, give me a loan estimate. Because that is a document that's standardized now as a result of the last housing crisis, in the formation of the CFPP. Every lender has to give you a loan estimate, which is going to have your rate, it's going to have estimated closing costs, and you can side by side compare one offer to another offer. Funnily enough, I sent each I sent them each each other's offer, and they wanted to get me on the phone, but genuinely because I just didn't have time for more phone calls. I was like, give me your email address. I'm going to just email this attachment to you. Here's their offer. I'm not playing any games here, you know, I'm shopping. And as soon as I told him I was shopping, I feel like I cut through so much bullshit because they just knew, okay, let's just become with our best and final, you know. I'm like, and I'm like, it also helps having a screaming baby in the background. I mean, I'm not saying to borrow someone's baby, but it worked me. We were gogotiating our carle's and it kind of worked for this whole mortgage thing too, because they don't want to hear that baby in the back end for a long time, so I was like, oh, the baby is napping, Oh my god, the baby's crying. YadA, YadA, YadA. So they just had them kind of go back and forth with each other and over the course of like I said, it was like four weeks. For me, it was really about not letting them tell me whose timeline I was going to go by, because even like even when he said, oh, you need to like lock in your rate by I talked to him on a Friday, oh, locking your rate by Monday at nine am, and I that deadline would come and go because I was just busy feeding the baby and I'm like, hey, Jack, uh is that rate so good? Like, oh, actually, worry you want to knock off another half a percentage for oh miracle, Yeah, a miracle on miracles because rates changed minute by minute, day by day. So even like you know, they can tell you that the rates, they don't know what the market's going to do, so they really you know, yes, rates can go up and you can get caught. But it's like and he said right now, and they're not. They're maybe going but like a little bit and every day is a little bit different. But it's not so crazy and volatile that you really are gonna miss out entirely if you sleep on it, you know. So I'm glad we stuck to our guns in that way, and we're gonna, hopefully we're gonna get this thing refinanced and save some money. Ultimately. I think we're gonna save like two hundred and almost three hundred dollars a month. Offer a mortgage payment, yes, what's really nice, which is real nice. One thing I was thinking of doing, though, is if you if I pretended like I never got a lower mortgage payment and I just kept paying that extra you know too, whatever a month, it would help us pay the loandown faster. So I'm thinking if I, yeah, if we just keep doing that, it would save us so much down down the line, just extra couple hundred dollars a month, you know. But of course, if you need that money for whatever other reasons, it's great to have that money back in your pocket.
Speaker 1: No, it is honestly that it made that I can just make the difference between somebody being able to make their payment or not, you know. So, I just I think that it's just such an interesting time when it comes to like mortgages.
Speaker 2: It's stressful. But I also just want to reiterate, if you don't have the time or the energy to really shop at minimum two, but hopefully three lenders, you know, credit Union, an online bank, traditional bank, whatever, you don't have time to compare and shop rates, then you don't have time to just don't bother because that is the best way to get a good deal. And even if you use a marketplace like lending Tree or you do it on your own, you just call the banks yourself or you apply online, do yourself that favor and let them know you're shopping and make them compete for your business, because that is ultimately how you get the best deals hands down. All right, that's enough about my damn mortgage, right, No?
Speaker 1: I mean I think that's because truthfully, it's one of the biggest things that people ask me right now, my mortgage, my mortgage, my mortgage, because we are at a record I can't remember the number, but the amount of people that missed their mortgage payment. So I think there's really no more timely conversation than your mortgage.
Speaker 2: So well, I'm gonna well, if that's the case, because mortgage missing your mortgage payment, there are lenders have do have mortgage for Baron's options, So that's where you can put your mortgage payment on pause if you're dealing with some kind of hardship. And I'll include a link to our guide to Mortgage for Barons, because one thing that people don't realize is it's not like you never owe that money. They just say, Okay, well, you know, you can skip the next couple of mortgage payments, but then all that money is going to be due in three months or four months. So it can be helpful, but you should know the risks and the pros and cons. And on top of that, there's other ways to get some mortgage reliefs, and especially in light of COVID, So I'll we can put a link to that article in the show notes for folks. And yeah, if you guys have questions about you know, if you're struggling, you're not making your mortgage payment or whatnot, hit us up at Brandon Mission Podcast at gmail dot com dot com. Hopefully we can help you guys out. I haven't gotten any questions from folks about that quite yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, what questions do we get? See you see what I did there?
Speaker 2: No, I see what you Let's take a quick break and I'll come back and I'll tell you. All right, let's go to uh Rita questions again. You guys can hit us up Brandambission Podcast at gmail dot com Old School, or you can go to Instagram. We're at Brandimission Podcast on the gram or sorry on Insta? Is that what the kids say? You can send us a DM there and we'll try to get to your question. I pulled from our email today and let me see we have Oh, this actually came through Insta and email. I saw this. This is a cool question because I had never heard of this, Tiffany, but I hear that you might. Okay, This listener, who wants to remain anonymous, says, hi, ladies, have you ever heard of Susu? Yes, my sister friend presented this to me. Have you heard of Susu? Is it like a Ponzi scheme or a pyramid scheme?
Speaker 1: What my guys thinks, Well, somebody who's actually emailed me this, so Susu is. I used to think it because I was a kid. I heard it all the time, so I thought it was like an Ebo word or a Nigerian word. But it's not. Apparently a lot of West Indians used the same word. So susu is a round robin with your money. I'm not sure where it originated from, but a lot of immigrants folks do susue. My parents still do susu. So what it is, Mandy, is that it's I'll give just an example how it can work. Like when my friend parents first came here, it was just ten families and everybody put in fifty bucks a month and they would rotate who would get that pot of fifty So you're not making any money, you're not losing any money, you're just the money is just passing hands. And so my parents were in a sushu for like the last thirty something years. So it's the same for typical susus that are done in this way. It's a group of people that know each other because the community holds you accountable. So because if you do a susu, a stranger somebody could just take your money and go. But like for us, it was actually also too with lots of immigrants. It's a very social activity and that with susu, when it was your turn to receive the money, you would actually host us the family, so this is how I came to know like some of my cousins, I thought they were my real cousins and aunts and uncles because that's what we were made to call everyone, not realizing until we were older that you're not related by blood. But we would go every every month, we would go to a different house and that would be the house that was received being the SUSU money. But we would eat and we would dance and the kids would play. It was very social then it was awesome and so but it was a way that they started to start building, Like you know, one it was like, oh, it went from fifty bucks, then it's to one hundred, then five hundred to one thousand, so I remember, I think at one point it might have even been two thousand, where it was a thousand to the SUSU and a thousand to an investment. My dad was in charge of it since he was the CFOE, so he would take the money and they actually created an investment club, which was awesome. So no, susus are not by nature or by design pyramid schemes because there is no pyramid in that you don't have to bring someone in in order to receive your money. It's the same group of people. But I told, like I told the woman who emailed me asking about susu, is that to me, the best susu's work with the people that you intimately know, meaning like you know, this is my family exactly. Like I said, we did the SUSU like we're coming to your house. So it would be really weird if like you just ate at our house and all of a sudden, you know, you're gone when it's time for us to eat at your house, you know what I mean. Like the community really keeps you honest. So that's what I say, because I've seen online susus Now there's like actually like websites and things, but I'm not doing the susu with unknowns because you know it just you can easily just not get your money back. So yeah, at its core and and how it was designed, susu's are are perfectly safe and actually great ways for collective economics to work in a community. But you know, any like anything, it can be turned into a scam of the wrong.
Speaker 2: People get involved, Yeah, and be very careful, and it sounds like there's probably no protections like you did with the break of their bank account, like where you have FDIC insurance and exactly you're covered. Yeah, so be careful. It sounds interesting though, I mean, it also sounds like it sounds like the core of so many small communities where it's just communities helping each other, which is kind of beautiful to me.
Speaker 1: It is. Honestly, it's like barn raising, like you know, in like like the Pennsylvania Dutch how they you know, they do barn raising together and they or they have people used to have rent parties and so it's very reminiscent of like that old school, like you said, Mandy, community is taking care of each other because they didn't have access to loans and funds and things like that. So you know, but that's why it was great, because it was like, you live here, so if you're gonna rob the person, we're gonna see you at church next week, and your kids are go to school with my kids. So there's no place to really to run and hide in that instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. All right, well that's beautiful. Thank you. Hopefully that was that answered your question. I'm pretty sure it's probably the same person. She was like, let me hit up a point of communication. Love that persistence, all right, I learned something new today, and that's Susue. S o U, s o U. All right, let's take another question. This listener wants to go by the name Autumn. I love the show and I can't get enough of it. You ladies are heaven to listen to. As you're both people managers. I'd like your opinion for a manager's perspective. If this gets read on the show, it is Hello, you made it, Autumn. You're here, okay, Jesus. I am a black female in my late twenties working in IT in Atlanta. I've made bad choices in who I work for not doing enough research, but also not really knowing what cultural fit meant to me. I have lately been wanting to focus on settling in at a company long term. However, I work at a very young company right now, and I've been here for two years. It's an intense place where people never stop. After two years, I've been filtering out recruiting offers, and I found a great company that's a great culture fit doing what I enjoy, and I've accepted an offer. Here's the thing. I don't like giving notice until all the paperwork is in, but that usually takes a week, leaving me with less than two weeks notice, which isn't abnorrambal here at my company. To be honest, my questions are, I've rarely left with less than two weeks notice. My last company, I gave a whole month due to respect for my team and the company. Would you feel disrespected or agitated at a short notice leave? Is there really such thing as a positive perception after a short note to exit? Yady gotta gotta I hope this wasn't too long, Thank you, and best autumn.
Speaker 1: This is a good question, It is very good.
Speaker 2: So tell me your genuine reaction. So you have someone working in your team two years, they give you a week's notice before they leave, what would your honest reaction be.
Speaker 1: I would be pissed, okay, because especially as like it sounds like that company is similar to my Well we you know we're not two years old. But you know what I mean that when you are a small company, we're not like some big conglomerate like you're here because we need you. You know, we don't have like, oh, this is just a filler position. Who has filler money? So if unless you are like sick or you know, something like that, obviously, but or something happened like to a family member. But if you were just to be like found a new job, be gone in a week, I'd be pissed because we need you and you know, at least two weeks to adjust to figure who is going to be taking on some of your role. Well maybe you know, I would ask like, uh, you know, could you help train someone that we have in mind? You know, to me, it just doesn't give us time to shift and adjusts. So yeah, outside from you, you know, leaving because you know, health safety, family, something like that, I would not be happy with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I can't lie. I would be annoyed. I'm annoyed anytime someone leaves because it's just more work, you know. Oh oh you gotta find someone else. You got to recruit unless there's someone ready to take over. It's a hassle at the same time, and I really so as a manager, Yes, I agree with Tiffany, I would be annoyed, but I think you can. I understand your hesitation too, because it is smart to wait until you've got the job offer in writing, you've passed the background check and all that has happened before you quit your current job, I would ask you if you can ask your new employer to give you an extra week because out of respect to your company, you know, just tell them you need to give them two weeks notice so you need a later start date. I'm guessing that they would give you that extra week if a very excited to have you, So I would go with that first. If they absolutely say no, you must start at X Y date, then that makes your explanation to your company a little bit easier to swallow. And I'll also say that even though I've been annoyed and people have given me less than two weeks, and I've looked at the calendar and been like, this is eleven days, not fourteen I have and I've gone to HR like rap, what if they but it's not two weeks and we can't do anything about it. It's not like you know, in your employment what's HR speak, Your employment is at will, yeah, which is our you know, our will to want you here and your will to be here, so we can't actually, you know, like slavery is abolished, believe it or not, so we cannot force you to stay. So you know, there's nothing we can really do about it. And if and so, but my thing is like, so can you get the extra week? But if this job is so great and you're really excited about it, and that's just the way the cookie has crumbled, you know, just do it. Try to do it in the most respectful way that you can. Accept that you may annoy some people, as I have done many times in my life and career, and be okay with that. Yep, they will get over it, and hopefully you are such a great employee that time will go on and they will think fondly about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just you know, to Menday's point that, yeah, I mean you, at the end of the day, you're supposed to do what's best for you. But just being also because here's the thing, you want to be mindful because my sister would always say, if you stay in the field long enough, you start to see the same people. So just be mindful of that. So, you know, like when she was in pharmaceutical sales for Pharmacit she's a scientist, for example, she was like yo when she now lives in Chicago, but when she was in Jersey and she had an internship, she ended up being interviewed by you know, one of the women that she had an internship with. So people you're young, and that you just want to be mindful like, oh, you're the one who left me with all the work. Yeah yeah, girl, you're not getting this job, so you just want to be mindful of that as well. That if you're going to stay in that same industry, you know you will likely see those same people again. So just doing your best, but don't put yourself in harm's way in order to make sure the company is okay.
Speaker 2: As someone who has employed two of my previous bosses, I can't agree with you as freelancers. Yeah, and and do your put your best foot forward. Tell them that you can help them find a replacement, you know, take your time to think about how you can pass on your duties like their make their jobs easier if you if you respect them, you know, show them how you've thought through your transition and how you're going to help them with your transition, so you can at least let the medicine go down a little bit smoother. But congratulations, you're in your twenties. This is what's supposed to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I tell you guys, how I got a job of newspaper and then I quit two weeks after I started to go to New York.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's how it be.
Speaker 2: They're fine, gainstled times. Are you still around? Yes, you are. You are just just fine. Someone else went to those Board of Education meetings that wasn't me, and the world kept on spinning. All right, Well, thank you Autumn for your question, and we'll leave it there. Thank you guys again Instagram at Brandon Mission Podcast, where you can hit us up on our Gmail at Brandimission Podcast at gmail dot com dot com.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna boosty boosty up. First, I'm gonna boost up. My anniversary was yesterday, three years down, forever to go. How pleased. But I have to say, like, I'm not really you know what, Let me not say that. I'm learning that sometimes I tell myself, oh, I don't really care about things like that, but I'm like, is that true or you're just psyching yourself out. I'm learning this from my business coaching, where sometimes I preemptively accept less so I won't be disappointed. So anyway, I to say all that to say I wasn't expecting anything, but Superman actually had like plant and that turns out later like all my friends called me. They're like, did you enjoy it? Did you like it? And I'm like what. So apparently he called everybody like a month ahead of time and was planning this.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, my gods, that's so sweet. I know in some efforts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So well, we went like plant shopping earlier in the day because I was like, I killed all the plants, let's buy some new ones that I can kill. And then then we had like lunch and we ate it at As we were eating it in the park, I was like, Babe, literally three years ago, this is the park where we took our pictures. So it just was so ironic that we were back in the same park where we took our our pictures before we got married. And then I just thought that was it, that we were just gonna kind of like chill. I took a nap and when I woke up, my sister was like, oh, let's let's go to our friend's house and I was like, okay, Rando. But it turned out Superman was like, can you get Tiffany out of the house, and he hired Vonda. If you heard me talk about her before, because Vonda was she Yes, she catered my my wedding and so he got fortieth party, right, yes, So the fact that he hired her to do like just a two person dinner and all of mine was seafood and he got a steak and like because the table was so like literally, we have these these pocket doors. So I walked in and like he opened the pocket doors and it was like candles and ambiance and beautifully beautiful place decending and I know Superman does not know salad for it from dinner fork. I was like, who said this flight? And it was just honestly so beautiful and like candles outside, So it was inside dinner, but then outside just like we just brought this new outside counch and they were like candles and flowers and Superman because you know, it's a hood level. We got up in here. When I went upstairs, why were there? He bought me the Jordan five, the Jordan retro fives. I was like, oh, that was like a parachutes. Yes, Jordan's. They're just Jordan's girl. I didn't. I mean, I only know the retro frivees because I heard him tell somebody on the phone, Yeah, I had the retro fives. I'm like, what is that, but anyway, they were cute.
Speaker 2: Did you want the Jordan retro five? I don't know, because one day can't picture you like I thought we were roth these girls.
Speaker 1: I am and I sid well because what it is that one day Supergirl had on some really cute sneakers and I'm like, oh, those they're cute. She's like, oh, these are Jordan's. I was like, oh yeah, I oh, you know, I see that because it's a little man jumping in the back. And so Man since then has been on the hunt for those Jordans. I mean, they're cute, but you know, I honest say, I think they're adorable, but it's not something I would have picked out for myself and he knows that. So she just got them for me. And I just thought that was really because from two years ago hearing me say that supergirls speakers were cute while she was eleven, I have them now.
Speaker 2: I love that. I feel like that's when my husband gets excited when I express any interest in any type of gadget. Like once every three years, I'll be okay to get a new iPhone or something, and then he gets really excited about picking it out and setting it up for me, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just really honestly, it's just the effort involved and the sweetness and yeah, I just it was honestly like one of our best anniversary. I mean, we always have good anniversaries, but it just was really nice because it was our first one in the house and we were just sitting there just kind of like soaking in with all the craziness that's happened out there. It was just a time of like reflection and gratefulness and like, I have a really awesome life, not because of stuff, but because of the people in it. And so yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Ay man, you know, on Facebook reminded me that it was your anniversary because it's also the same day as my husband's. But yes, I saw that, and I don't know what was happening in twenty seventeen, but I must have thought it was a lot. I didn't know what was coming in twenty twenty, because my comment was like, it's in times like crazy, times like these, you got to appreciate days filled with love and gratitude. Congrats to my bff Tiffany on her wedding and all that. And if only I could have known, and I mean that even more today. You have got to hang on to those beautiful moments, beautiful moments. I did zero, and I mean negative things for my husband's birthday. The luckily his birthday was the same day as your anniversary. But last week was Father's Day, y'all, and I put all my energy into Father's Day, and I kind of forgot about his birthday. So I think it's fine. His parents like came over, there was a cake, his brother traveled from DC. It was lovely.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we did a little something something with masks on. Well, it's beautiful. Congrats. Another year is super love.
Speaker 1: I love that hashtag super love super love.
Speaker 2: All right, well then I'll steal the bet slash. Beyonce Black Pride visual album news I be seen the trailer for her visual thing.
Speaker 1: Is it super black?
Speaker 2: It's well, of course, blackly Black by Black. No, it's well, it's it's I'm confused. I don't know why it's coming out now, but it was. It was a visual album to go along with The Lion King. The Gift. That record that she released in conjunction with the movie was that last summer I feels like a million years ago. So Anyway, it's a visual album. The trailer. I think it's coming out on Disney Plus, but apparently I missed. First of all, I don't like up is down, Lift is Right, so I'd forgot all about award shows or that they were even happening. But the BET Awards got rave reviews on social media, so I need to go, Yeah, how does how did they even do a award show?
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna I didn't watch it because I didn't I guess they were on TV, but I just watched because BT put like full clips on their ig like, you know, like ig TV, So I just was watching everyone's full set and it was beautifully produced, amazing. I'm like, what they need more digital show?
Speaker 2: The Stalin in the Desert were that pre tape? Like yeah, so I staid up, like what's happening? Was that live? I don't understand it?
Speaker 1: It was amazing, So like, literally just go to BT and just click on their their ig TVs and just settle in and watch. They were beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, what was your favorite?
Speaker 1: I really liked to make the Stallion. There was a guy, uh his voice was so good, you know what it is, and so many people I had never heard of before because you know, I'm getting old. But what I really liked was the clear social commentary, like they didn't shy away from saying the thing. You know what I mean. I was really just But there was one guy in particular that his voice was just so I had to go and follow him. The video was like him and another rapper guy, but his voice in particular just moved me. I'm like, can I find him? I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't get say it was an Usher I heard Usher perform.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it wasn't. Although I mean that was you know, that was nice, but it was The Baby actually had a really cool video. But do the Baby the fact that I'm saying that, it's.
Speaker 2: Just doesn't it sound wood? Do you go by baby or duh?
Speaker 1: You No? It's literally the Baby.
Speaker 2: Where I had to because his boy.
Speaker 1: Well one there's this this this guy named John mc reynolds. He's a gospel singer who's awesome. But I'm telling you, there was this one guy. It was so melodic and it was, uh, it was almost like they were showing them so I think it was called Lockdown. Someone's gonna tell me the name of the song. But oh, I found it. So it was Lockdown by Anderson Pack featuring Jay Rock, and it was just to me, it was beautiful and so mm hmm. It was so Yeah. So if you are scrolling through Beat's IG stories, like just click on their ID story button and you can watch the Lockdown. It was just to me, it was just a It was a very poignant presentation, but it was just melodic and real like so much of it. And then Amanda Sales did such a great job with with hosting. I just love how they did.
Speaker 2: What does that work? Okay, I'm fascinating. I need to go out.
Speaker 1: You have to go watch because what she did too is they recreated some iconic bteam almost like BT Comic View what sick some park be too. It was just so well done and yeah, you have to it was just so well done.
Speaker 2: Okay, no spoilers except for the Beyonce thing. Oh that's really exciting. Well, I'm glad that beet rose to the occasion. Yes, I should have watched that last night instead of the really disturbing Malcolm X documentary on Netflix that I decided to get really depressed about. That was a bad choice, but a woke choice. Okay, I'm going to get caught up on bet asap. All right, Well we are twelve minutes over, it's ten pm on a Monday, and you're talking to me, and I love you for it, thank you. I love your showing up.
Speaker 1: Its life is crazy, yes, not crazier than the people who shoot these damn firecrackers at o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: We had our first firecracker incident last night. Molly will never be the same, Oh poor Molly. Yeah, I don't understand. It's not even like why are people it is just is it like a thing?
Speaker 1: It's a thing, you know, it's a It's a thing. And I just want to meet the demands of whoever this is and say what do you need? You could have all the things, just please stop ten not fraid enough, I know because I'm like, are they still in the Girl's like no, Swiregreggors. I'm like, okay, well needs to have the difference. He's like, you would know the difference. I'm like, how do you know the difference, sir?
Speaker 2: But you know that white couple in the mansion in Saint Louis who are pointing their little pistol in there, and what is it? An aka I don't know it's a AR fifteen. I don't know these assault weapon terminologies. That clip was so disturbing.
Speaker 1: I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: You didn't see Saint Louis protesters. You need to look at it real quick. It's funny, how like you. I feel like you can miss so much craziness because everything is crazy and the world's on fire in every state right now. But anyway, there's this viral clip. Our own president, he who must not be named, retweeted n this video. Anyway, it's a Saint Louis protesters. They were protesting the mayor of Saint Louis because apparently in public remarks she she named addresses and full names of people who came out in support of criminal justice reform on her Facebook case. So people were protesting and asking for a resignation. They were They dared to walk by this mega mansion in Saint Louis and the couple who owns the mansion came out looking like I mean, the juxtaposition of what they look like in that mansion, I mean, it was just like a high brow, low bra moment. But homegirl was holding a small pistol very like I can't even tell you how she was holding it like she was just holding their TV remote, just swinging it around. And that guy was holding his assault rifle and pointing it at the protesters as they're walking by, like legit pointing it. And this clip went viral and I'm just there's so many memes right now, and it's fucking sad, and I don't know what our country has come to. But that's okay now.
Speaker 1: And the president retreats it as if, hey, look at this good thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. He also retweeted a clip of someone yelling white power and then tried to pretend like he didn't hear that. Par No, oh my god, yeah, that's what's happening in America. I just save yourselves, you guys.
Speaker 1: I just okay, you know what, I'm gonna retreat back to my goodness.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but tell me again about your dinner was something okay, seafood, delicious, Superman crack legs.
Speaker 1: It was shrimp gumbo. It was so delicious, and the fact that he remembered that I don't eat meat and it was potatoes and it's baragus and it was amazing, and you know, I don't drink, but you know, he had Moses made because that's like if I am going to drink, that's like a little bit that I will have like a little champagne with a little orange juice. So that was nice, and it was just just nice unplug and I yeah, so that was that. I was like, oh and we danced outside to old school love songs.
Speaker 2: Oh did I tell you that? Are you keeping the cutest pine with a.
Speaker 1: Little two step? It was just really like honestly, it was just it was nice to just retreat to nothing, but like, you know, blessings because I know you have to put on the armor of God to get out here in this world, which I'm willing, but you know, sometimes you just need a piece for yourself where it's not a shit show.
Speaker 2: So black Love, Man, black Love, super Love, Yeah, I love it all right. Well, congrats on your third anniversary. Go get some rest, everybody, take care of yourself, get some rest. Think you think you Thank you for listening, and.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you all next week. Miss We