Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes? Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And so much for that.
Speaker 2: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: Hello, guys, welcome back to another episode of The Break presented by LG. Derek is not here today, but we got Nick, we got a watch, and then we got Brian in studio. A lot of excitement this morning, welcome to the Big News. A lot of fans seem very very happy about this recent trade that the Cowboys made. They've gone out and gyan wide receiver George Pickens. And this was a deal that they make with Pittsburgh Steelers. They basically got Pickens and at twenty twenty seven six round pick for the draft in twenty twenty seven in exchange for a twenty twenty six third round pick and at twenty twenty twenty twenty seven fifth round pick from the Dallas Cowboys. So how are you guys doing, How are you feeling? Tell me your initial reaction to these late latest news that the Cowboys did.
Speaker 7: If I could explain my twelve hours in the in two words, it would probably be extremely exhausting. But it's it's it's a good it's a good trade man, it's it's fun. We're gonna have a lot to talk about, especially not even on the show, I mean throughout the course of the next couple of years. It's this is a high risk, high reward type type type of ordeal. I want to get these guys thoughts on it before I go too far into it, but I can't. I'd be remiss if I did not mention the parking hell that is the star this weekend. If you plan on coming down here, be ready to find a parking spot that ACMs have this place as an absolute zoo. So that's why I was late. Chris Beam, you can donk me for that. But other than that, it's been a crazy, crazy last twelve hours.
Speaker 4: You know, Cowboy fans get a gift waking up this morning. You know, the past few weeks, months or so, we were thinking, all right, it could be a thirty year old wire receiver. You know, maybe somebody's at the end of their prime or maybe we'll get lucky with a fifth round guy that we drafted something like that, and Cowboys say, no, hang tight. And then you get this wire receiver one B. I'm not gonna call him a wire receiver. To this wire receiver one B that Woo's top tier corners by himself. You pair him with the guys you have in the quarterback you have. I don't want to take too many talking for us and be like Nick Brian please, I'm just I'm just thrilled right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this one was done without a safety net. You know, if you look at it, really it's a one year deal right now, and then with the Cowboys with some of the contracts that they have coming up. But it is a bold move. It is there, you know, to lay out a third and a fifth for a player that you might I just only have for one year. But you know, you got to like the excitement of it. You know, we've we're all kind of talking about we're thinking about maybe a veteran receiver. Maybe it was Amari Cooper, you know, but they were talking. They were thinking bold. They were thinking to go out and get a guy that could absolutely help him in this particular player Ambart he can help this football team.
Speaker 7: Can we start there with the contract thing, please, because that's that's I think is the most fascinating piece of it immediately, right is because I spent probably an hour last night talking to somebody in Pittsburgh. I have a really a good friend of mine that I grew up with that plays for the Steelers.
Speaker 9: I called him this morning.
Speaker 7: I've talked to a few people about what George Pickens situation is or was I guess in Pittsburgh they were fully expecting him to make their life hell this offseason. They were saying he was going to hold out for a contract. That's what they were preparing for. That's why that they wanted to go ahead and deal them. That came from the source, now, from the players, like this is kind of one of those guys in your locker room. Yeah, he's the bad kid in class. But with the bad kid in class that all the kids love and all the team and you know, I think that could be a fascinating dynamic in the locker room. You know, how does that exactly work for the teachers here in Dallas? But it's gonna be fascinating. But I want to start with that contract part because if they are not signing him to a deal now, and they're basically saying, hey, one year rental, prove it, you have to play worst case scenario in that same instance as well. In the worst case scenario is either one of two things. One, he doesn't work out, he's a bad apple, and it becomes a situation where you look back at this trade and you're like, man, Pittsburgh dealt with a lot of hell that they didn't really show on the surface. A La Antonio Brown or the other worst case scenarios that he absolutely balls out. He gives you fourteen hundred yards and ten touchdowns and you can't afford him next time, and he moves on and you're out a third and a fifth round pick. If it were me, I'd get the deal done now. I'd be like, hey, George Pickens, you want twenty twenty five million, Sure, let's do it.
Speaker 9: Let's get it done right now.
Speaker 7: Pickens doesn't want to do it, then you figure out a price that works for both sides. That would be me, But I do know that you also have to factor in that it might not work out with him from a risk standpoint, But that I think is the most fascinating part of this immediately, Well.
Speaker 4: It's a third though, so you would imagine that the Cowboys have to walk into this thing with some good vibes and some possibility that them thinking that this could work. It's like this isn't some throwaway fit for like they love their their third round picks, they don't play about third round picks. So in my mind, I think the Cowboys are ready to extend him. Maybe not today, maybe after tomorrow. They probably want to wait around to see a little bit. But I think the Cowboys just rolling dice again. Hey man, we got a leader in here, we got number four up in here. We got a number one receiver that can make his life a little bit better. We're gonna win some games. We ain't got to worry about Kenny Pickett walking around here. You know, Russell Wilson, will you know you earn you earn, You earn all of this respect in different ways. You don't just roll out and say, hey we're Pittsburgh, We're this prestigious organization and you're gonna respect us. You get respect wins and dues that demand respect. I think four as a guy that can then you have a master's in like leadership or something. Somebody he knows how to deal with guys like this. Lamb Lamb is already cool when right there their friends are right. I think this is a better homey vibe than we're prestigious Pittsburgh and you better do x y z no.
Speaker 8: I think that Nick's absolutely right. And talking to people in Pittsburgh, you know they they talk about him in the locker room. That's not a problem about him. And it always reminds me though, if people start to say, and I know there were some people on Twitter that we're making some comments I know in my direction, were about well, there goes culture, there goes all the things that we talked about in the draft that Brian Schottenheimer and all that. Let me remind you that one time Jim Garrett, Jason Garrett's father, said in the draft room and talking about Randy Moss, guys, this is the NFL. It's not the boy scouts. You know, this culture. It's if they're building some things, it's really about getting great football players. It's about trying to find great football players. Add great football players so you can heat with the teams in the NFC and hopefully you can go through the playoffs and hopefully you can get to a super Bowl. But you don't do that without great players. This guy is a great player, and you're willing to put up with You're willing to even put up with the having to maybe part with a third fifth round pick, and you might not get this deal done, you know, but that there, there is your there is you're all in move in my opinion, you know, we've kind of given Jerry Jones a lot of grief about that, that like, oh, we're all in? What's this all in? No for you to you know, as much as his team loves draft picks for them to part with, and you know, people say, well, Dan brought us they part with a fourth round pick all the time. Okay, you know that's their way of trying to maybe address address and need here. But to to to throw out a third and a fifth for a player that doesn't have a contract or for next year or after this year, I think is a very bold move because I think this guy is going to come in and play very very well for you.
Speaker 4: Plus, Brian, what's the point of having leaders then and not lead guys like this?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 4: You don't just bring in leaders to lead of the leaders. You you bring in leaders just in case you.
Speaker 8: Have some immaturity problems with this guy. I don't think there's some immaturity problems with this guy. And you know, but and he's a very fiery, emotional player. When you watch him play, you could see how important it is to him. And there's going to be some times where probably body language is not great and things like that. But you just got to find a way to be able to deal with that. And people will probably say, well, damn, Mike Tomlin was one of the best in the league, you know, having to deal with these these problematic receivers. But they've kind of moved on when they felt like they needed to move on from a guy, they've moved on. So they have to feel good about the deal, just as good as Dallas feels about getting the player. You know, we'll see which side of this actually wins out. But I have no problem with going out and getting a player like this.
Speaker 9: To him, maybe all right, no, you're good.
Speaker 6: No, I was gonna say, I don't think going back to the contract situation. I don't think you were the Cowboys and make a decision a trade like this without a plan in mind. I think they do have a plan in mind, and we'll see how it takes to effect later on. And I do have in my rundown for today Brian Schottenheimer and the culture that he's implementing trying to implement here. We'll touch and we'll get back to that later and talk about how a guy like him coming in to hear how that could change things around. But in the meantime, I want to go back and talk about what kind of player he is in the last two years, what you guys have seen around the league, and what he's done over there in Pittsburgh. We know he's been with different quarterbacks. How does he look, what does he do, and how would he work alongside ceedy Lamb.
Speaker 4: Throw the ball to him, He'll find it. Just throw it down there somewhere he'll find it. His ability to find the ball in the air, whether it's somebody latched on to him, whether he's wide open him tracking the ball, that's where he really gets busy there, and whether it's accurate or not. You know, whether he's tracking hands up, slow, you know, trail technique, whatever you want to do. He's physical. He's a yat guy with the ball in his hands. I just can't say enough. And if you watch him and you know y'all can do the little filters, you know, deep pass, he's the best deep ball receiver in the league.
Speaker 9: And that's not my opinion.
Speaker 8: Metrics will tell you that. The metrics tell you all that.
Speaker 4: That's the metrics and the numbers saying there, right. So I think if you're Dak and you're used to throwing the ball to five nine receivers or five eleven receivers deep, now you get a six three catch ratis dude that that tracks it and just catches everything, jumps over guys sometimes I think it's a slam dump.
Speaker 7: The physicality jumps off the page, no doubt. And this is a stat that was thrown out by a guy on Twitter this morning named ray Gie.
Speaker 9: I'm Sorrygie, I don't know who you are.
Speaker 7: We're giving you credit here from twenty twenty two to twenty twenty four, so over the course of the last three.
Speaker 4: D I love Raggie, Nick.
Speaker 7: Please, he's a cube, by the way, so Derek would have loved Reggie so exactly.
Speaker 8: Uh O, ragg Sorry, it's not ray j about you say a video involved here?
Speaker 4: Please? Nick finish what hellge saying.
Speaker 7: George picked his his three most success full routes over the course of the last three seasons in order go route, hitch out out route, Dak Prescott's three most successful routes in order hit trout out route, go route. I mean this is a perfect combination, or a perfect marriage, I guess you could say from a Dak to Pickens perspective. And Dak hasn't had that true outside presence since early in his career when Does Bryant was still around, and this is a guy that he can rely on. I mean, we saw it briefly with Michael Gallup, but I think George Pickens is going to give you a different element here because he's he's got the speed, he certainly has a physicality, and he's going to open up so much for ceed Lamb. Honestly, though, if I'm looking at the receiver room, yes this benefits Cede Lamb. Yes, it benefits George Pickens too. I think he's gonna end up having a better career. This is gonna benefit Jonathan Mingo so much. I think going into twenty twenty five, this is a guy that you know before this trade, you were saying gosh, they need Jonathan Mingo to step up. Now, it's hey, Jonathan Mingo can develop and do what he needs to do. And let's say worst case scenario doesn't work out for George Pickens, then they have a year of development with Jonathan Mingo without the need the pressing need to continue to develop him.
Speaker 9: I mean, from a football perspective, this is.
Speaker 7: A slam dunk home run, grand slam, whatever you want to call it, whatever other pseudonym you want to call it, but it's it's the off the field stuff that's gonna make it so so polarized.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about the off Just think positive things right now, back to Mingo, real fast. Mingo doesn't even have to be wire receiver. Three Ferguson is going to be the first guy to celebrate that. And then, like jay N, I'm blue. If you want those one on ones with linebackers and safeties, eat them up.
Speaker 2: Play you.
Speaker 4: If you Mingo, you're really like fifth or sixth that some team will really worry about. Come on, man, come on, please, man, this guy.
Speaker 8: Is not gonna make you ever forget about Amari Cooper running routes. That's just not his game. He's not a route runner. This guy is a there's some a there's some playground element to the way he plays football. And if you embrace that, you're gonna get the best version of this player, because when you do watch him, if you think he's gonna plan it twelve yards and make the outcut. Yeah, we talked about the vertical route. His ability to separate is his his physicality. Nick brought that up. His ability to get his hands inside or get his shoulder inside, and to push and to gouge for space. This is what this guy does. And I think Vatch made an excellent point about this guy. His ability to track the football I think is rare. He never loses side of the football. And I think the routes that he ran at Pittsburgh, and maybe it had a little bit to do with the quarterback situation there, that they didn't really have a bunch of route combinations. But you put this guy in bunch cover or in bunch formations, let it scatter, let him run across the routes, let him catch the ball on the move, bring him in motion out out of the slot on third down, and throw him the ball in the flat and watch him get a first down. Now, this guy with ball in hand, he could be a pain in the ass to deal with because of his ability and his desire to want to get every yard he can out of the play. So this guy's got an element to him. Like I said, it's got a little playground to it. But man, he is a fun guy to watch play when it's when he's got it rolling.
Speaker 9: They really just did get their gen z, does Bryant? I mean that's I think that is exactly.
Speaker 8: I think they absolutely.
Speaker 9: I think they.
Speaker 8: I think they. I think they did. Uh. You know, you watch him and you're like, going, man, that route, I you know what? What was that? You know what? But but he finds a way to get open. Yeah, and no, yeah, he's he's he's working Certan, he's working the guy in Atlanta, the Jets, the Jet He's working all those guys. And he's doing it not because they're scared to death of him, because they know how physical he plays, the top of the route and his ability to drive them off the ball, and all of a sudden they're thinking he's going deep and then he plants and comes back to the ball. You know, the comebacks, the curls, the things like that you know, and and he's and he's and he's got that ability to wherever the ball is, high, low, wide on the ground, on top of his shoes, wherever it is, he can go low and get the football. This guy's got that kind of ability. It's it's it's impressive to watch and play.
Speaker 6: Let's go ahead and take our first break. When we come back, we're going to dive into a little bit deeper the whole culture thing that Brian Schottenheimer is trying to build here with the Cowboys, and what a guy like him, with that type of personality and everything that we've been hearing how he's been over there in Pittsburgh. What that can mean for the Cowboys in bringing in a guy like him.
Speaker 10: After the break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, Reliable, Secure five G.
Speaker 5: Requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 8: See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas.
Speaker 12: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think.
Speaker 3: They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of.
Speaker 12: Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at Take five, you stay in.
Speaker 3: Your car because they're faster than you think.
Speaker 12: That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration Take five the official.
Speaker 3: Oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: From the Field to the Festivities. Lou Casey and the Essence of Luxury and Tradition. Hand Crafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 9: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 9: All right, folks, let's get started with the Yeddy.
Speaker 15: French Press and Joe Calvery This stays Hot for Hours and French Press thirty four as for U six to four for the cruise of Yetty French Press. Put mixed waterproof bags, bags of waterproofs, some Whe's wall Waterproof, Devil's Waterprove bag, bags for as most of the waters. To get a waterprove Yetti bag, you.
Speaker 9: Gonta smell something cooking.
Speaker 15: New cast iron skillets may be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, cobbace, pot pie and ptatoes. Next over, well three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 5: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square. Today.
Speaker 9: Back to the.
Speaker 4: Break going on, Wow, that was crazy?
Speaker 7: God was God was sending me for that one. LG evo is the best TV of the game. I promise it is, but don't take our word for it. Digital said that wow, Digital trins of the LG, he's the best picture quality they've ever seen. For yourself at LG dot com slash ev a.
Speaker 8: Wow, was that a sneeze or a cough?
Speaker 7: It was a cough like I got like a dust speckle in my windpipe the perfect time, at just the right timel.
Speaker 8: G we saw.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you Nick the talent, not as I can never be as good as say a bar. That's that's the issue here.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to the second segment presented by Blockchain dot Com. All right, guys, we you guys already hinted at the fact that was you you said in the first segment you said hell like three times?
Speaker 8: Did yeah?
Speaker 9: Oh my bad God?
Speaker 6: Probably since that is like, hey, hey, got out of your math.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Okay, so you guys are really hinted at the fact that he's shown some behavioral issues over there that might be a little hard to work with when you're a coach. So as far as culture, we've seen a whole lot of what Brian Schottenheimer is really trying to build here. He's a very player coach. He builds those relationships. But he's also shown in the way that he's spoken to the media that he's not afraid to discipline people and be tough and hard on people to make sure that everyone's doing what they are supposed to do and asked to do. With a guy like him, again, what are you guys expecting this merge to be? Is he going to be a type of player that you see? Okay, he takes this as a new opportunity into Okay, now I'm here in this new environment. I'm gonna do what I'm told and not behave this or that way or are you guys expecting in the long term because of the personality that this might turn out to be a problem.
Speaker 7: I don't think I have expectations right now. I think there's a wide range of things that could happen, and you know, you take what you get in any sense. We were talking in the break and I think Brian made a good point. He's like, if it doesn't pan out, at least they tried. And I think this is definitely a talent worth trying on, you know, from a character standpoint. Again, talking to that player that played with Pickings on the same team over the course of the last couple of years the locker room, they like this guy. He is a likable player amongst his peers. It's just he's kind of the bad kid in class that the teachers really hate seeing walk through the door every day. So it's going to be a fascinating situation. However, given what Brian Schottenheimer has shown over the course of the first couple of months on the job, what he said over the first couple of months on the job, I think this is a challenge he's going to be facing head on, and I'm sure this is going to be one that you know, Schottenheimer takes under his wing to get ahead of problems before they before they manifest. This is nothing to gets Mike McCarthy, But if Mike McCarthy was still in the building, I would have a lot more concerns about how this would pan out.
Speaker 9: Still have concerns, but I think Brian Schottenheimer is better equipped to deal with the deal with the player like this.
Speaker 4: Honestly, whide receivers have been divas my whole life. I've been around football for a long time. They've always been this kind of guy. As as long as Pickings isn't hitting people, getting arrested, robbing banks, speeding, as long as he's not doing stuff like that, I mean, just keeping it in football. Like, if the worst you have to deal with is him complaining or you know, publicly saying, hey, can I get some more catches here, then the easy fix of that is just throw the ball to him. Thought the ball to him. He's I think as a talent, he's worth the possible small, possible headache that you would have to deal with. He's not gonna be the guy that you could just trust to just get it done on his own.
Speaker 9: Cool, Fine, just do.
Speaker 4: A little more, Daniel Jones is hired somebody to follow Dave's around and make sure he didn't get introuble. I don't even think this is that that kind of situation. I just think he wanted football. I think he'll loudly in front of media tell you that. But I don't think he's like a trouble I don't know if he's going to show up kind of guy. I don't think he's that kind of dude. Plus, I think he loves football and as long as he's willing to work at it and and get better.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: But if he's not driving the ship, I don't have a problem with this. He's not wide receiver one here. See that's the guy here. Then Dak is the guy here. And if Schottenheimer is is people person and he can bring those kind of guys in, it'll be it'll be some some bumps in the rows and headlines. But I don't think he's going to be a huge.
Speaker 8: Issue, Like you're going to imediately see what kind of coach Junior Adams is here for the receivering group. You're going to immediately see I mean here he is. He goes from being in the college ranks and working with with personalities, you know, these college kids. I mean, he's been in some really some fine schools with some big time egos with wide receivers and stuff like that. And I'm saying this in a positive way. But this is one of those moments where he probably when you know, he found out that he is you know he was going to get George Pickens. He's like, Okay, I got to figure these things out. You know. As a receiver's coach, I mean, that's the one room that has those types of guys with the personalities. So he's probably used to this, but this is a big personality. I'm saying this in a positive way. I'm not saying this guy is a male content or a problem in that way like Fox was talking about, did you have to worry about him off the field. He just is super competitive and he wears that every single day that he goes out there. You can watch his tape, you can watch every play with the ball and you could see how much it does mean to him. But we're going to find out right off the jump, what kind of relationships that a junior Adams the wide receiver coach, can build with this guy and then keep him on the path that they need to go for the season.
Speaker 7: The first availability that Brian Schottenheimer has during OTAs is going to be very fascinating because there's gonna be a lot of questions about, all right, how do you plan on handling this guy? Yeah, and how's he going to work? How is it already, you know, fitting in. One thing that I thought was interesting, and I noticed it last week when we were in the locker room talking to rookies, is that there's an open locker next to Dak Prescott. And I noticed that, and I was like, that's wide receiver too. Whether it's a Marii Cooper or a George Pickens or somebody else that was on the trade market, it makes sense for that guy to have that locker. It makes even more sense for George Pickens to have that locker.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: Well, nonetheless, this guy, this move is very exciting and it's been a while since I've seen fans have such a positive and exciting reaction and giving props to Jerry Jones and the moves that they've done this year.
Speaker 8: He said he was going to go for a substantial move. Yeah, he was saying, Hey, we are working on and then sometimes you know, Ambar, it's okay, thank you, we hear your talking again, and you're thinking he's just kind of just, you know, setting us up for something. But in fact they really did. I mean the more like I say, And I know Nick and all of us were working on this and is in the coming days and we reached i know, reaching out after the draft. I'm like, hey, he's still working on receivers, and I did I heard crickets and I'm thinking, wait a minute. My sources, who are usually pretty good on these things, were not saying anything. So they were working on this thing. They were living up to what they were trying to do, and they knew they needed to get something done like this. And again I have to applaud him for doing.
Speaker 7: It in the context here, and Brian, feel free to build on it if you have more. Is they They did have conversations with Pittsburgh during draft weekend picks. The price around that time was something different than what it ended up being at the end, and they went through the draft looking for a couple of options, couldn't find any. Obviously, didn't draft any guys. Trae Saon Holden's not going to be your wide receiver too. And as the week following we're talking about last week started to come about, they really started to expand their their net like okay, yeah, what all is available to us? They were intrigued by Amari Cooper. I reported on that on that there is team interest there and there was there still is team interest. However, I think as they as they talked more with Pittsburgh over the course of the last forty eight to seventy two hours, the price started to become a little bit more palatable for both sides.
Speaker 9: And here we are.
Speaker 8: This might have been something too that got set up because of Aaron Rodgers. I think that Steelers might be in the mix now of going to get Aaron Rodgers signed up. And maybe this was the we're going to move on from one to get another kind of a thing that it's just.
Speaker 9: Move on from one headache to get another.
Speaker 8: Just kind of some speculation going on in the league right now that the Steelers are on that path and this was the first move that they knew they had to make a move, and you know it listened Dallas, that you're right, Nick, Dallas made a lot of calls and when I reached out to some guys in the front office. They were like, we're looking at a lot of wide receivers, Brian, a lot of wide receivers. So I was like, going, oh, okay, well, you know, maybe this is actually going to come about. But yeah, and it did, and it did, and late last night they got everything done and buttoned up and we'll see how it does play out. But I will go on record right now, as Ambar said, I'm going to go on record and say that you know that I can do nothing but say, hey, this is the type of move that I would have absolutely made. I would. You know, you need a player like this to compete within your division and and hopefully he helps you with the season and he helps you as you get into the playoff runs as well. Well.
Speaker 6: During my time here, I've been what like eleven years here now, and during this whole time that I've been here, this is the first time that I've seen the Cowboys make this many moves. And I'm taking into consideration all the moves that they see, the off season moves, the trades, the amount of trades that they made, plus top it off with this one, the most recent one that is the most significant one. So they're they're changing things around this this time and they're making moves and we'll see how it all pays out for this upcoming season. But it's at least you're not sitting around, you know, waiting and waiting. This is it feels different this time around.
Speaker 7: I feel like I was one of the first to criticize how they went about last offseason, and I want to preface that before I say my next statement is because I feel like I gave out criticism when it was necessary. This front officer deserves a lot of credit for how they they weren't about their business this offseason. And you know, I think there was an expectation heading into the offseason that there wasn't going to be a lot of movement.
Speaker 9: Allowed via salary cap or other issues.
Speaker 7: But they have really set up Brian Schottenheimer for success and now it's up to Brian to be able to produce on the field.
Speaker 9: I mean, he has his pieces.
Speaker 7: I mean, i'd be very curious to think about what Mike McCarthy's thinking about right now. I but nevertheless, it's Brian Schottenheimer and he has the tools in front of him to make it happen.
Speaker 4: Do you guys think that this is going to lead to the Cowboys saying all right, you know we've been saying run game, run game, run game.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 4: Do you think that this is going to lead to them truly saying all right, we're gonna run the football.
Speaker 9: Is whatever happens happens?
Speaker 4: Or do they see these wide receivers here and go, man, Deck's going to have forty pass the game fifty pass a game, which I'll think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a tough one. That's a tough one you got to do now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's gonna need catches.
Speaker 8: We were we we went into the whole the hiring of the coaches and stuff and the building of the staff and started kind of connecting dots and talking about and they talked about running the football. I think they're still going to be committed to trying to do that. And I think with you know, with the drafting of with Booker, you know, we'll see what happens at left tackle. That now becomes my my vision goes from you know, other positions to left tackle and the potentially what's going to happen at corner. But I do feel like now that the thing and when we had a chance to interview you know, Clayton Adams and those guys. Before Day three of the draft, they you know, we were saying pen and poll this and that, the O they're outside zone and all that, and he basically said, listen, if we don't have the players to do it, we're not going to do it. So I think that they're going to go in with the idea of like, hey, gusad, we're going to we're going to work to run the football. We know we could, we know we're going to figure out ways. I mean, you got a guy and Williams is a really good pass protector in the back. Feel, you know, if they have to throw the football multiple times, I think that you know, it doesn't always play well for Dak, but at least they have the weapons to make that happen. I'd love to see Jake Ferguson and schoon Maker and all those guys, and you mentioned Blue, if they're going to have to throw the ball, at least they've got some bodies that are capable of making plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think their focus says the same as far as at least finding that balance between the running game and the passing game, creating that balance that they didn't necessarily have last year, And I think at the end of the day, yeah, yeah, way too late into the season, But I think at the end of the day, you go with wherever the talent is essentially better. If that's a wide receiver, you use it, you use your best players.
Speaker 9: But I'm not mad about it.
Speaker 6: I'm not mad about what they're trying to do right now.
Speaker 9: And Barbrian, do either of you know what a shisty mask is? By chance?
Speaker 4: You just go to assume I know what it means?
Speaker 9: Yes, it is it.
Speaker 6: Well, you don't want to know what pumped into my head.
Speaker 7: That's you could go anywhere, you could go anywhere. Soaking Brian, though.
Speaker 8: Is it is? It?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 8: It? Is it like a full.
Speaker 9: It's a ski mask?
Speaker 8: Ski mask?
Speaker 7: Yeah, George Pickens wears a pre game and it was when he was drafted.
Speaker 9: He had it on Yeah TV.
Speaker 6: This was like people out dressing black.
Speaker 7: I mean they are typically black. They are typically black. The shicty masks a shisty mask.
Speaker 4: I got another question about George Piggs. If y'all want to, I got a question. If y'all what we're going to break, Oh, we got a question. We're going to got a question this teaset's.
Speaker 16: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Than on an l G O led Evil TV.
Speaker 16: That's because everything you see is more life like, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 9: No one comes close. Lgoled Evo is the.
Speaker 3: Best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 16: See for yourself at LG dot com slash Oldevil.
Speaker 5: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cat utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 7: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be.
Speaker 9: Beat better yet.
Speaker 7: Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 9: The winds will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 5: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 14: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very Digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitor for qualit assurance message, data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G fast reliable.
Speaker 5: Here five G requires coble planning device five G may not be available in your areas.
Speaker 16: He add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 9: Back to the break.
Speaker 7: AT and T connecting changes everything, and I am on a talking time out for the rest of the segment.
Speaker 9: Shouts out AT and T shuts out. The floor is yours? Okay, got a question?
Speaker 4: Okay, So the type of uh, you know, we say character guy that pickings is the complaining about catches and all this CD also at one time kind of complained about his catches, right, So let me just ask this for sure. So I'm just asking y'all, stars, we don't know for sure? Is Pickings the guy that complains about not getting targets when you win? Or is he the guy that's complaining because he wants to win so bad but Kenny Picking and Russell Wilson aren't throwing him the ball and he's the best target for you. You know what I'm saying. I'm saying, like, is he it is so frustrated that we're not winning, Hey, throw me the ball because on the fresh roun, I'm mad. Or if you're blowing out somebody by forty and he got three catches, he go, you know what, We're winning by forty, but I could sure use five catches. I'm I'm gonna complain. I think that's two different types of complaining there. So where would you guys assume? We don't know? But like, what would you think?
Speaker 7: I don't have enough context to give you that right now, although I do think you bring up a solid point about the quarterbacks that he has dealt with through his first three years and if you just look back to if you just look back to last season and kind of the struggles that he had to deal with at times from a target to reception ratio perspective, and there were some issues there. I think there was a lot of miscommunication, whether it be justin Fields, Russell Wilson, Kenny Pikett, Mason Rudolph, Mitchell, Trubisky. I mean, there's he's dealt with a lot of different signal callers. But I don't have enough context to give you that answer. Watch, but I think it's I think it's a valid point because there are some in the league that want they want the targets and receptions no matter what the final score is, and there's some who as long as they're winning, hey, it's fine.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 7: I think there's a couple of people in his locker room though, when they don't get the stats in a big win, they feel the type of way. And uh, we've talked about a few of those guys, So you wonder if he's one of them.
Speaker 8: The reason why, as I'm an a.
Speaker 4: Right like this publicly said, hey man, we win it, i ain't got to have all the catches.
Speaker 8: We win it. I'm gonna be real reckless here because Nick's trying to be professional. I'm not professional. I'm just gonna say it. I think this guy. I think this guy loves to play football, and I think that doesn't matter whoever he's going up against, he can find a way to win, you know. And if the game plan then maybe calls to go another direction, you know, and they're not winning, I think that really bothers him. I think I think football is very very important to this guy. And you can watch him play in college, you can tell it. Then you can watch in the NFL. Yeah, you know, I would rather have a guy that loses his mind because he's not You're not I'm not helping you try and win this game, you know, please. I mean, we we've all been there. We've seen the desks on the sidelines and stuff and does it more's body language, but he was always trying to be kind of encouraging, Hey, I can win. Just get me the ball, find a way to get And I think this guy's that. I think he's a similar type player. I think every catch that he made that I watched this morning that resulted in a first down, you could see the emotion of like first down and like he was kind of you know, and you get the tawning and you get a little bit of this, you know, he is so competitive that he honestly believes that if you throw him the ball sixteen times, he is going to make sixteen receptions. And so he wants that opportunity because he's That's just how he I think that's how he's wired. So, yeah, is it something that maybe you're going to have to tone it down a little bit? Man, I would rather have the guy that wants the ball, that wants to make plays as opposed to the guy that's terrified. Please don't hit the ball to me, Please don't throw me the ball, Please don't draw up the last shot for me, you know. I think I think Pickens is a guy that wants to compete at a high level. And it comes off as sometimes this maybe complaining, but he he just in his heart believes that he can win on every single play. I'll take that guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And sometimes I think it's easier for you to pull someone back rather than have to push them forward. And with the right kind of voice and the right environment, I think he can thrive in this and see that hey, we're not going to be dealing with that kind of behavior. And I think that what Schottenheimer brings is that there will be consequences to the way you act, and if you decide to act right, then you're gonna be that's gonna be reflected on the field and how many times you get to touch the ball. I that's at least what I'm getting at. Before we end the show, time is running out.
Speaker 7: Could I throw ahead one thing in there? Because you did bring up one thing?
Speaker 9: Did you say?
Speaker 7: Shottenheimer has shown that, like there will be consequences. Yes, that is a question I have. It's like when when there are issues that will come about with certain players. Just think back to Trayvon in San Francisco last year. How is Shotenheimer going to handle that? Because he has shown yes that he's trying to build high character and if you're not about it, then you know, well, we'll figure out how to make sure that that's not here. But I do wonder when he is faced with that situation mid season, how does he handle that? Whether that's Trayvon Dicks or George Pickens or Micaeh Parks, whoever. That's gonna be one of his bigger questions. Our biggest I think at adversity points is like, Okay, how does he respond to this?
Speaker 9: That's going to be a big question of mind for.
Speaker 6: Right now, he's saying all the right things for sure, absolutely so. But yeah, just like you said, we'll wait. We'll have to wait and see because we haven't seen it in action just yet. But everything he said so far and the way that he's talked to the media, what he said the other day recently, that he's been paying attention the veterans who are talking to the rookies, the people that have come in. He's looking for those type of behavior in veteran guys. Be a leader, be that voice, be an example for everybody else. Okay, going now to rookie the rookies, we have Rookie Meedicamp happened, and I don't want to end the show before going around and asking you guys, while were your first impression. We got to see these guys in person. We don't get a lot of big action happening in Rookie Meedicamp, but we got to see their full presence and body boy.
Speaker 4: Tyle, the book is going to be haby that George Piggins is here and Man Jay and Blue's gonna get a bunch of pasts because George Piggins is here, and Tray suhnhold and go ahead to compete a little bit harder boy, because George Piggins is here.
Speaker 9: That's all I got on.
Speaker 8: The room, Yeah, I think to me though, physically it's nice to see them. There used to be a time in Ambar. You'll remember this when like under the Jason Garrett administration, they used to like practice, we like we'd see them out there. Really kind of Now it's more about hey, locker room's over here, training rooms over here, dining hall's here. When you park, you park over here, so you know where you get the You get to physically see how the players look, and you know, you get to kind of get the idea uh name with a face kind of thing. You get to talk to them a little bit, and those kinds of things, which is cool. Where the where to me, where this will be the most important is the training camp aspect thing. But those mandatory mini camps when you have the veterans with the rookies, that's where you're gonna tell me where these coaches feel like these rookies can fit in, you know, And I Wotch will say this, listen, don't tell me that Booker needs to be over on field three working with the threes and the fource. He needs to be over there playing right guard right off the jump. You know, don't try and make it. You got to earn your thing. No, you've got to. You know, you drafted these guys for a reason.
Speaker 4: Figure it out also too, Brian, Sorry, Nick, you got I don't want to see Booker lining up at lift guard just to see if he can play left guard clean may right because that's where he's going to be in and let him start to work on that right side footedness and handedness because he's been playing the lift side the whole time.
Speaker 9: Abandon, So you're good.
Speaker 7: These guys have said plenty about the rookies. I think, you know, we won't really get a good feel these rookies until training camp and how they fit in with the rest of the veterans. But I will say one thing that really did stand out to me from rookie mini camp energy and it was our first time to be able to see a Brian Schottenheimer led practice.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, and that was it.
Speaker 7: I've only been here since the start of the Mike McCarthy era, but it is notably different than a McCarthy practice. Music was playing the whole time which is unlike a McCarthy practice. We'll see if that carries into the season. Yelling energy, I mean, and that's that's what all the players said coming off the field.
Speaker 9: Energy.
Speaker 7: This is a very energetic practice. Energetic coaching staff. You know what they talk about off the field, at least in one rookie mini camp practice that we've seen with their own eyes, it's at least translated onto the practice field.
Speaker 8: See real quick though. Ambar two is that we kind of get a little bit of a taste of the energy of the coaching staff when we heard the secret audio calls and how like pumped up guys were and guys passing the phone and hey man, you're in just trying to and the players were kind of like, I think the players were shocked to how how energized the coaches were on the phone. They're like, yeah, coach, ready to work. Well man, we got to come in here. We got it.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 8: The coaches were more excited about the player, you know, being the pick and having the players. So yeah, this this staff does have a lot of energy too, because they're young.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, Mike, Mike was with like seventy I'm not being fun I really know how part sixty one you.
Speaker 8: Know, he he you know he's nothing wrong being sixty one man. You work for the guy every night.
Speaker 4: My fuck, my fun man. But you know, Mike, Mike was older man. Mike has done this before. Mike has had coaching jobs before.
Speaker 8: We needed the shit.
Speaker 9: You get someone photo shop up the shisty basket.
Speaker 4: Ryan Shottenheimer.
Speaker 9: This is his first job as a head coach.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: He's a young dude, so of course he'll have a lot more in it.
Speaker 8: Heck yeah, it was old man. Man as old. This old man had a lot of energy too. Is a good coach.
Speaker 9: I was born ninety two.
Speaker 8: I ain't I ain't see him too much.
Speaker 6: I saw the second day of Fricking Me Me Camp. I saw Will McLay. He was walking out and he's just like, man, all these coaches running around the whole field, like you see them running and he's like, I said, they better be careful before they pulled something or hurt themselves. But that just goes to show again what we saw and what you guys are talking about it. There's are so full of excitement and energy. They're out there moving around, running around with the players, so that's super exciting. And also the players everyone I I got to talk to, I love their personalities, Like the vibes right now are all so positive. So we'll see, we'll see. We'll keep waiting and seeing how everything because everything exactly now.
Speaker 7: So one final question out there, go ahead, George Pickens, Let's say it works out from a football perspective, how many added wins do you think this this this move makes.
Speaker 8: His red zone ability probably probably gonna help you with three three.
Speaker 4: I don't want to sound like a Homer man. I think the Cowboys are a twelve win team.
Speaker 8: Now, Oh how many more wins added under the current or how many? How many wins total?
Speaker 9: Answer?
Speaker 8: No, I think his ability probably buys you three more. This is the way his ability to make plays, red zone.
Speaker 6: Plays, and you were so close in so many games, so without a lot of your starters.
Speaker 9: I I thought this was a ten win team before this this edition. I think I'm with you.
Speaker 7: Watch I think the ceiling for this team is certainly twelve wins, but that you'll got to schedule. It's tough. It's a tough schedule. Still, wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being a ten and seventeen. But I think you'd feel a lot better about this ten and seventeen than you would without a George Pikins.
Speaker 4: Find another wide receiver, find another running back, get another one. Take to go in there and just compete and be old and let's go running. Miane.
Speaker 7: See now I'm about to get on this one text soap bucks. Bro's it for another day?
Speaker 6: All right? Well, before we go, you mentioned schedule release is next week, so stay tuned on Dallas Cowies dot Com. Very very exciting things that are going to happening on the website, so keep an eye out. We'll find out soon what the calendar is for the season twenty twenty five. For Nick Harris, watch Lombard Lombardi. It's a tongue twister for me.
Speaker 9: Lombard. Can I say in Spanish? Please Lombardi?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 9: Watch Lombardy with that?
Speaker 6: Ryan Brod is a remember your Yeah. This has been the break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.