Speaker 1: Worrying.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contained spoilers for Pluribus episode.
Speaker 1: Seven, The Gap. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: Anna Merday Night, and welcome back to x re vision of the podcast where we got Deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics or pop culture company from my heart, where we'll bring you three episodes a weekless news plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are talking Hollorabus episode seven. You guys have been loving the show, so if we will be tapping in super producer Ian to join us. And before we jump in, just a quick production note. This holiday season, we've been sharing a couple of short stocking stuff for episodes with you. With so many great shows, movies, books coming out this next few months, these episodes will help us cover some extra content we wouldn't be able to get on on normal episodes, So keep an eye for those as they come out throughout the month.
Speaker 2: But first Pluribus episode seven, All right, Episode seven, then Gap, a little bit of a slower episode that really brings you every character heavy, emotionally heavy, emotional landscape type episode. Carol drives back from Las Vegas after her meeting with Diabate. She is in a very weird mood, I think, owing to her conversation with Diabaday and realizing she's been shut out of conversations between the other survivors, and.
Speaker 1: The fact that.
Speaker 2: She's clearly in this episode grappling with the fact that something about the way she is, you know, made up. Her personality makes peace people, even hiveminded people who only want to please, not want to be around her, and she's dealing with that now. So she stops to get gas. She calls to get the gas pump turned on. She calls to order a very specific gatorade order with a very specific flavor and a very specific temperature ask, and then when it arrives it's not to her liking, which she complains about. She picks up some fireworks, goes home in order to set off. When she gets home and makes a bevy of stops along the way, including to pick up a new car.
Speaker 1: When her cop car breaks.
Speaker 2: Down, she gets a beautiful which I look up. I looked up the prices on Rolls royceys roy says, guys, would you like to guess a brand new Rolls Royce Phantom twenty twenty five Rolls Royce Phantom, which is their flagship car. Would you like to guess with the MSRP on that? I think it's one hundred thousand dollars. I was going to say, two fifty you gotta go way up. Three three fifty, gotta go up, gotta go up.
Speaker 4: That's used.
Speaker 1: You could get into a used three for about half a million.
Speaker 2: It's in the seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars rate for the Phantom.
Speaker 3: She's choosen the writ car basically the same time.
Speaker 2: I know right well, I think again, I think this is clearly speaking to her. It's like she's seen what Diabat is doing and she's going, can I do that?
Speaker 1: What's my version of that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Can I get into it? Let me order this gatorade? In In tremendously specific fashion, she goes to a Georgia O'Keeffe museum and takes a specific painting that she has a print off of her.
Speaker 3: House of shit. That's the kind of shit, you know.
Speaker 2: She stops at a spa and then when she gets home, she puts the new Georgia O'Keefe on the wall and calls the hive mind saying, I'm getting dressed up for dinner. I want this very specific dinner. From these very specific meals that Helen and I had get it going for tonight.
Speaker 3: She gets the piano music going, she's eating some delicious food. Every meal that comes out has some specific meaning and intention from her relationship with Helen. But it becomes very clear, very quickly that really what she's staving off is the loneliness. And I think what's really playing on her hair is how Diabarte was essentially last episode, like had a panic attack when she said she was going to stay like he was thinking. I think that's I think that's something that's made her realign what she's thinking. Anyway, while Carol is rethinking her eagerness to fight the Hive Mind, Paraguay guy Minusos is out of gas and a truck comes to offer him a lift and some water, but he finds a ver calls siphons out the fuel. He leaves some cash under the wiper. He does not believe in taking from the Hive Mind, as we will find out. He gets his car running and we see he's practicing in English. Ultimately, probably for this meet up with Carol, whether or not it will go the way he wants, is likely gonna be our big finale conflict. On the way, we see he is living off the grid. He's catching his own fish, he's collecting his own water. And also this was something that Ian Clock the moment that this episode was announced with the title he goes off road through the Darien Gap. That is the title obviously is half about that and half about Carol and her kind of gap between her and any other human friendship or being. And when this guy gets to a point where he has to walk the gap, he will do it. And the hive mind comes out, and hive Mind's like, don't do it. It's like people are emerging out of the jungle. They're like, you're gonna die. The weather's gonna be punishing.
Speaker 4: The most dangerous place on the planet.
Speaker 3: Likely, you're gonna be getting snaked, you're gonna getting kyote, you're gonna be getting bitten by bugs that can kill you. Don't go. You can just go to New Mexico on a boat or a plane or just like, we'll give you a car. And he's like, please, I'm gonna set my car on fire and go fuck yourself. Nothing on this planet is yours, he says. He calls them thieves and says they do not belong there, and he heads off, practicing as English by saying he wishes to save the world. I really am feeling vim at this point because I feel like Carol's plan is diverging from what she promised.
Speaker 2: I feel like Carol is really about to regret what she's been asking and pleading for, which is won't someone be dedicated like me to saving the Earth? Well, I think we're gonna find out that Manusosa is really about it, and probably about it in ways that are not good.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was gonna say, Jason tell us what we see him do, because that gives us like a real insight into just how hard call this guy is compared to Carol.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just the fact that he's he's unwilling to take anything from them. And then his speech where he says, you know you've stolen this planet essentially your thieves, you don't belong here. I think it's a it's an interesting question, right what you because clearly Carol's right like I don't. I don't think anybody's arguing that Carol is incorrect in her analysis of what has happened. This alien species has come in and hijacked the planet against the planets. Will that said, what if in order to get things back the way they were, you have to be the most brutal and ruthless.
Speaker 1: Mm, what if you do the worst things?
Speaker 2: And I think that's what Manusos is confronting us with that question. So Manusos is moving through the gap and it's just as hard as the Hive Mind told him, and you know, day night and day and night, and he's trekking through this unforgiving type of landscape. And then eventually one of the things that the Hive mind warned him about about, this very particular spiny tree with these big spikes on it covered in bacteria. Well minusso slips and impales his back on it, and now he's in serious trouble.
Speaker 3: That night, he like.
Speaker 2: As if he's in Commando by yeah, the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Commando or some other type rails, Yeah, some bear grills like Sealed Team six fantasy. He heats up his machete in order to I guess, burn off the infection from the wounds on his back. That doesn't work, and soon enough he is in terrible shape. His skin looks like fucking mashed potatoes. He collapses, but the Hive Mind has been tracking him the whole time, and a her helicopter descends to rescue him.
Speaker 3: Also, isn't it kind of funny? Like I did really love how this episode ends, And this is what's so great about this show, because I still don't know what Vince wants us to take from it, but I love how this episode essentially ends with both of them needing help from the Hive Mind still, even though they're both so furious and sure, and you know, he's going through the Darien Gap and he's gonna do it himself. I can't do it myself. He doesn't need a drone of ice cold red Gatorade. He's gonna drink the water from the But eventually, you know, he gets so sick that if he wasn't saved by the Hive Mind, he would die. And as we see, Carol is not doing much better in Albuquerque. She is practicing her golf swing off the roof of a building. She's really living that third Yeah, wasteful, kind of like thirty Digital Night. Nobody's there. She's setting off fireworks, she's drinking. She's spiraling one of the fireworks in a classic you know what in in England we learn is a classic firework fail. You've got to be fireworks safe, guys, because we have fireworks Night every year in England November fifth to celebrate guy fawks trying to blow up Parliament because that's kind of country we are. And guess what, we have many PSAs about how you should not do this exact thing. So she's drinking, she's doing fireworks. One of the fireworks explodes right next to her, and she is ready just to let it kill her. Doesn't even flinch. To me, I was like, Yep, she's accepted it. This is it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was rock bottom.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Instead, doesn't kill Carol because we have to see her in Manuso's face off next week. So instead it sets her house on fire. She puts it out with a hose. Next day she goes to get supplies to fix the house and we see that what she's really doing is painting a massive message on the street. She goes inside the house. We pull back as Zosha arrives out of a car and we see that she had written on the page in large white letters. Come back and we see Zosha get out the car. She hugs her, she starts to cry and she's just so happy to have that human connection. And also in that moment, I was like, when she wrote come back, I'm like, is she talking about Helen? Is she talking about Zosha? Like such an interesting moment there. And we end in this place where despite whatever these two people have said, they're so independent they want to exist without the high of mind. They're going to fight them. Both of them end in a place where they're getting helped by the hive mind. And I just thought that was really interesting. Let's go to an ad break and when we're back, we'll come back when Supervid is Ian who you have heard chiming in that his thought.
Speaker 2: And we're back, We're back, really almost like a tone poem type episode. Let's let's start with both Carol and Manusos's seemingly like mirroring dedication to like doing it on their own. Both of them end up not doing it all the way on their own. Carol surrenders Minusos was surely willing to die on that particular patch of the Darien Gap to prove that he was willing to do it alone, but I mind would not let him. Let's talk about that, because I found that really fascinating.
Speaker 1: Ian.
Speaker 2: What did you think about Menusus's just dedication to this idea that he doesn't want to take part in anything that the Hive Mind have to offer him.
Speaker 5: So as I was watching the episode, initially, I was like, man, like, is this guy low key kind of like a glutton for punishment. He's taking the hardest path at every turn, refusing even the most basic assistance, doing everything himself. And then I think throughout the episode there are little hints that he might also have some kind of religious background too, So then I was like, it's this like sort of like a penance atonement thing. Did he do something like fucked up in his past that he feels like he needs to atone for, you know? So that's where it kind of made me think initially. But then right before he enters the gap, when you know, all the people come out of their jungle and they're pleading with him not to do it by himself, and the thing that he says that really just like kind of made it all click in a place which we've already alluded to, was, you know, he says that everything they have to offer is stolen and it's not theirs to give. They don't belong on this planet. And I mean, yeah, he makes a brilliant point. It made me think of like squatters' rights almost. It's like you leave your house and go to work, somebody breaks in and changes the locks. They're like, oh, this is my house now. You know, you can come in if you want, but this is my house now. And it's like, that's essentially what they did to the entire planet. And he's not about it. And so I think his really strong defiance and that steadfast belief that you know, like you do not belong here, none of this is yours is going to set up a really interesting conflict when he finally does meet up with Carol, because I think she's starting to go the other direction.
Speaker 2: Or at least she's, yeah, been been beaten down by the loneliness and for inability to deal with herself by herself exactly. You know what made me think of it made me think of Menusus's kind of extremism is again it's like you agree with it on a certain level, but it made me think of, here's the thing that annoys me when I the it's and it's a thing I agree with the whenever I see in particularly a white leftist with like a no one is illegal on stolen land t shirt. First of all, agree with that. I completely agree with sentiment. I love this sentence where it comes from. But it's also like, you can't who stole one, who stole land? And two you can't connect the truth of that with anythingtionable.
Speaker 1: Like to me, it's a.
Speaker 2: Platitude because in order to fix that, like you would need to undertake such an enormous amount of effort behind violent strategies, nonviolent strategies, you know, like to in order to eject the people who stole the land from the land and enact this kind of like free flowing return to its original owners, it would under you would need to be so crazy and violent.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying I disagree with the sentiment.
Speaker 2: I just think that you think about to have it on a T shirt is basically like a platitude what can you do for me now? And that is how I feel about Manuso's It's kind of like, listen, you don't the enormity of what's facing you is seven billion people in this hive mind you control nothing like you. I don't disagree that this is a terrible set of circumstances, but like, take a fucking bottle of water, Jesus Christ, like you don't, like, give me a fucking break.
Speaker 3: You can use You can save the world better if you are nourished and if you're drinking food. Yeah, and I wanted to pick up on a three well Ian and Jason, I think you both made some really great points. Jason, I was also thinking about that that kind of thing with how it's also like, you know, the notion of kind of like if he is religious and he believes that God created the world, that could also be why he is so devout about this idea that they are stealing right like, And I also thought part of the reason why he might be really good or insistent on being isolated is if he was like a priest or a vicar in some kind of you know, seminary or wherever those people go and they be quiet for a long time and they don't eat. So I definitely think that word. I also love that you brought that up, Jason, because it is giving, like you know, when people do like land acknowledgments. Again not against the stamp staateat the idea. Yeah, yeah, but so many of my friends who are actually indigenous. Are like, that's like having like a party at your at somebody else like your house, and you're like, yeah, this used to be your house. I just want to acknowledge that. But now it's my house, you know. It's like you still like, could you just give me the house?
Speaker 1: Something about it?
Speaker 2: And and to that end, Rosie, I think there's something too about Manuso's that the way he keeps repeating I'm ready to save the world, like I'm ready to save the world.
Speaker 1: It's like this.
Speaker 2: You can you can sense that there's a feeling that he has that he's been chosen for this.
Speaker 4: Yes, he has like a duty to do it.
Speaker 1: Right, he has a duty to do it.
Speaker 2: Carol kind of had a little bit of that, although she was and I think even she would say she's forced into this, but now we have to do something about it now, whereas.
Speaker 1: You feel as though Minusos.
Speaker 2: Thinks he's been called to this some absolutely, I don't know that makes me. I am he feels like a very dangerous person.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say Manuso's secret like antagonists for the finale because he's going to try and nuke the world because she told him they'd give him a nuke or whatever, and well, he has going to have to try and save Zosha.
Speaker 2: He's got the frequency, right, So I think, yeah, from his point of view, let's turn off.
Speaker 1: How do we jam this? How do we turn this off? And I think what we've seen is hate.
Speaker 2: Turning it off could potentially lead to I don't know, like seven billion people dying or millions of people dying at least, so let's pause on that. But I think he's going to really want to do it something.
Speaker 3: I think this really interesting that you're making me realize as we talk about this, and this is kind of something I used to think it's going to sound out there at first, but it reminds me of this do you guys? You know Beauty and the Beast, right, the classic question. I used to watch that movie and I loved the movie, but at the end I would always kind of feel a little bit sad for Gaston, not because he died because he sucks, but because in any other Disney movie, he would be like the hero, right, Yeah, he would be the guy who's going to kill the monster and save the princess. This is kind of giving that vibe where like Minusos is the guy that most action TV shows or movies would follow in this story trying to save but instead Vince said, well, what if we shift to this person who actually is not a selfless person who's not thinking about the world, who is more just pissed off and furious and almost like a side character that you would come across when you were trying to survive the apocalypse and flipped it. And I think that's really interesting because this episode we get so much of Carol's pettiness. Oh my gator raide, wasn't ice cold? Drone me? And other one like come on, Like, yeah, she doesn't have main character syndrome in the way that Manuso stares wear Manuso. She has the version where everything just needs to happen to her at any point. So let's talk a little bit about how much Carol is currently living in the security of this idea that the Hive mind cannot turn her after last episode, So Ian you you really knowed how this episode she is just like on a tear like Okay, well I can do whatever I want now because you guys can't turn me. So could you talk a little bit about how you think that like ties into her journey emotionally throughout the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I think as she leaves Vegas, you know when Diabat is like, you know, they do miss you, They're just looking for a little bit of a change in attitude, and she's like, fuck them, you know, let them starve, pick a fucking apple, do whatever you gotta do.
Speaker 4: I'm out of here. She really carries that over.
Speaker 5: Into this episode, and then it just kind of escalates as as the episode continues. You know, she's being openly antagonistic and petty with the gatorade. It's not cold enough, like what are you guys doing? And then when she gets back to Albertquerque, she starts drinking again heavily. She's lighting off fireworks, stealing art for museums, destroying property, she steals the rolls Royce, and I think she kind of slips into this like apathetic nihilism where she's like, you know what, they can't turn me, none of this matters. I'm gonna do whatever I want. And she kind of takes a page out of Diabate's book and starts living it up like he does, but in a darker way.
Speaker 3: I want to say, yeah, she does have a darker energy.
Speaker 5: To it, yeah, because I mean clearly she's depressed and hurt by the fact that no one wants to be around her, the survivors or the Hive Mind, and so I think that kind of hardens her in a way where she's just like, fuck it, then I'll just be by myself in Albuquerque and do my thing. But we see throughout that process though clearly she is lonely and hurt. You know, when she goes to the dinner by herself and has them make all these meal from her memories and then she's sitting there reflecting she puts on the music. There's a sadness to that scene that I think is really striking, and I think that's when she starts to realize, like do I like being alone by myself? Do I like being this defiant and indignant?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: And then we cut to Manuso. So then by the time we get back to Carol, it's been like about a month of her being alone in Albuquerque. There's a little bit of a time jump there, and that's when we see the scene with the fireworks, where that's I think the true rock bottom moment where she's drunk with the fireworks. She sees it tip over and she's like, fuck it. If it happens, it happens, yes, you know, if not, whatever. And so when it doesn't happen, and she realized, okay, Like I think that kind of makes her really realize, like, oh shit, I am lonely, I do miss Zosha, I don't want to be here by myself. And I think that's what inspires her to reach out and make that plea for connection. And so, you know, I think, as we've been saying, that's going to lead to a really interesting conflict between her and Manusos where she's you know, I think they started in similar places, but Manuso's has stayed in that place and if anything, has hardened his resolve even more, whereas Carol started there and has maybe come around to realizing, oh, you know, I don't want to be alone. I do have this desire for connection. Maybe Zosia is not so bad with the understanding or the thought that they can't turn her. She's like, maybe I can make the best of this situation.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, So how likely do you think? I feel like it's really going towards a place where Manuso's is gonna find a way to save the entire world, and Carol will stop him to save Zosha, and it's gonna be the same. It's gonna be the same, Like what's the word like selfishness that she's always.
Speaker 4: Had, right because now that doesn't serve her needs anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's interesting to you bring up some good points.
Speaker 2: I wanted to point out, like that one thing that really struck me about Manusos's even weeks now into his understanding thanks to Carol's video, about the kind of nature of the hive mind that they actually pose no physical threat at all, and you know they can't do this and that, and they will do their best basically to say yes to any requests that you.
Speaker 1: Make of them.
Speaker 2: Even then, he was like unholstering his machete when the truck was pulling up behind it, like he's ready, even then, knowing what they're about to hack them up if I guess they try and do they cross some line that he has touched him in some way or something. And then with regards to Carol, it reminded me Her journey reminded me a lot of you know, when you're a kid in like you're like I'm going to run away, I'm going to like, that's it, mom, I'm leaving. Really, really what you want, even though like you don't have the ability to like express it, is like you want some somebody to listen to you, You want some attention. You feel like you're not getting it, and so you're like, yeah, watch that, Yeah, I don't need you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna live on my own.
Speaker 2: And that really is Carol's entire journey this episode.
Speaker 1: And listen, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think part of Carol's problem is that she can't listen to anybody else, Like she's such a world builder as a writer, yeah, and as a person who's made creation like her.
Speaker 3: Life that.
Speaker 2: She can't She doesn't really collaborate and is not and I mean this in a nice way, is like not super interested. Like the fact that she could never she never knew what Helen really thought about her stuff is to me kind of indicative of the fact that she's not super interested in anybody else's opinion.
Speaker 1: And maybe that she's.
Speaker 2: Just coming around now to realizing that needs to change on some level. Maybe she hasn't got there yet, but she's been faced with the with the outcomes of her not listening to anybody. She's not yes on any level, so she's she's having to She's realizing I think an important fact, which is she can't do it alone anything, And yet same as everybody here, I am fascinated to see.
Speaker 1: I think Manusa's is gonna scare her.
Speaker 3: I think, do you think that he is going to be the main thing we deal with in the finale or do you think that we are gonna get more information about the Hive Mind. I think at this point I would rather they keep the reveal of the true nature of the Hive Mind till season two because I think the characters we have, I am so engaged with them, and this show is doing something that I've always hoped genre shows would do more. And what is one of the things that we have shouted out about the contemporary ideas of the MCU and the DCU, which is like, what would it be like to be a you know, quote unquote normal person when this is happening? And I think I could legit watch three, four or five seasons of this and probably never need to know what the Hive Mind really wants, because what's interesting is just seeing people navigate this new world order and this new space that's so out there and can be so huge because of the Apple budget. You can have drones flying around to deliver, you can have crazy fireworks. You know this show exactly. Okay, let me ask you guys about this specific episode. Some of the discourse it's been quite a divisive one. That has been the conversation of nothing really happens in the episode, and lots of people are saying, I love that it's super radical. It feels like we're getting so much character work. It's a tone poem. And some people are like, you just burned like an hour of my time. How do you guys feel like about this episode in an era where we do only get eight episodes a season.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with.
Speaker 2: It, and I'm like you, I feel like the ambiguous Here's what's interesting to me about the ambiguousness of the Hive Mind and answers with regards to the Hive Mind. They don't know either, Like we find out two episodes ago that they only found out, you know whatever, twenty four hours before in fictional time before the scene, that they need stem cells to infect the survival, Like they are also learning they don't have any other like orders from whoever sent the message all that happened. Yeah, they're learning on the job, whatever the job is. They've basically been turned into this hive mind and given no other instructions. So what's interesting to me is that the fact that the antagonist, if that is, if the hive mind is can truly be called the antagonist, also doesn't have any answers. They also don't.
Speaker 1: Know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: I like that they are also researching and learning on the job, So to me.
Speaker 1: That helps.
Speaker 2: There's no like mystery at the end. There's no like secret answer in a chest somewhere in a secret cave.
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like a puzzle.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like same way.
Speaker 3: It feels like you're getting something from watching. Even just if this season, if Vince decided that he wanted to end this season with the end of Carol's story, which I don't think he's gonna do, because I think this could become an Emmy and Awards season just blow out every season, so I'm sure Apple will keep the same cost. But even if he did want to do like an anthology and we went to a totally different person, I would be fine. I'm intrigued in looking at how people would survive a hypothetic or like this in such a different way than we've ever seen it before. It's such a unique take that I think it makes it worthwhile And we always argue that actually we need more slow episodes in TV. That was the joy of the twenty three twenty five episode season. You know, Ian, what do you feel about those criticisms, because I think you were on the same page as us, like this felt like an episode that was necessary and that worked even though it was a slower episode.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I just want to say, like, have you watched any Vince Gilligan shows before, Like most of the shows are slow burn, Like Better Call Saul is a very slow burn, and it focuses more on the character moments and the relationships between the characters. They're obviously you know that we need some plot momentum. But I don't think this episode suffered from being a slower episode.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed it. And I think we learn.
Speaker 5: More about Manusos and and what his beliefs are and his resolve, and I think that was really interesting. And then seeing Carol kind of, you know, continue on this emotional journey and have her maybe you know, come to this realization or shift in her stance. I think that was really interesting to see, and I think we eat an episode like this to set up, you know, the final two episodes where I assume, you know, Carol and Zosher are going to rekindle this relationship. There's that's going to be interesting to see. Is Carol take a different approach or how is she going to be coming out of this isolation and depression, and then leading into the finale, you know, when Carol and Manusso's finally do meet, Like, now that Carol has had this paradigm shift a little bit, how is that going to go when they finally do meet up. So, I think to set up those beats at the finale, we needed this episode, and you know, I just don't think it would work without it. So I personally love the episode, and I don't understand the criticism that it's.
Speaker 4: It was boring or too slow. It's good TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I love about it, to your point is it's basically set up a be careful what you ask for for Carol. Yes, Carol spent the entire season since this happened, pleading with any of the survivors to listen to her to pay attention.
Speaker 1: This is terrible. What's happening. We need to do something.
Speaker 2: Won't somebody step up and help me as we try to save the world.
Speaker 1: Well, someone has heard the call.
Speaker 3: Now and what does that look like?
Speaker 2: And what does that look like? And I don't think she's gonna be happy with any of the solutions that Manuso's is gonna be willing.
Speaker 1: To offer her.
Speaker 3: Well, I also like, I got I gotta ask, like, is the next episode are they gonna because we've got two more till the phinmale to seven, then we have eight and nine, Right, is the next episode gonna really like connect with Soosha and Carol and have this emotional base for that relationship and then see Manusos get there in the finale and that be a huge conflict.
Speaker 4: That's what they're setting up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do worry that Zosha will die. I think Carl has to wonder about.
Speaker 3: Anything to stop her dying because she is now her one human connection. But I also feel like Vince has the chops for like a thirty five to fifty five minute episode next week that just makes us so invested in Carol and Zosha and also like carrols Yeah, yeah, to then really make that kick home in the finale. Also, Carol's trauma that she's been through is so horrendous with the with the conversion camp, and I think that we're going to get more understanding of that. And also I just had a realization that could be a potential issue between Manuso's and Carol because.
Speaker 1: If he is indeed very religious, if he's.
Speaker 3: Very religious and Carol has the history with the conversion camp, I think it's just going to be so interesting thing to see how those plot lines tie together. And I really do think that Vince has got the chops. I mean, the show has not even ended yet and it's almost people's best.
Speaker 1: He's he's a master.
Speaker 2: Okay, quick quick quick question to end with, why hasn't Carol asked the Hive mind to just be like, listen, I've heard the message on the phone call so many times. Just make it or just immediate beep to the message recording.
Speaker 1: Right, I got it.
Speaker 2: I know that you're you have to take space, fine, just immediately go to.
Speaker 5: The beep that happens. I'm like, we know what the recording says, like at least cut away or like we don't need to hear.
Speaker 4: The whole thing.
Speaker 5: I think Vince is trolling the audience because, like after the second episode of that, I was like, come on, we know what the records.
Speaker 3: To feel the same desperation and isolation as Carol. Vince is working. I don't need to so that. Jason, you do raise a good point. How specific and like annoying can you get with your request because Carol's has been to the general quite simple so far. It's mostly like food groceries, but like can you call them and be like, hey, I want my house painted the outside painted pink? And well, I think you know, I think you could do it. I think can you change this voicemail message is too long for me? Like, I would love to know if you're not Carol, what they will do for you. Well, I guess we've seen with someone like Diabot, who has you know, everything that everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of Carol's like actions in this episode or direct response to, like her meeting with Diabate, everything she learned and seeing the way Diabat lives. I think she was like I think with the gatorade, she's thinking like, fine, that's what you guys want to do you guys want to just like take orders like mindlessly, Well, this is what I want. I want the most specific gatorade order ever, and then it when it doesn't meet my, uh my exacting request, I will complain about it because I guess that's what you want, right, you want that. Yeah, it's this kind of like it's this petulance of you know, thrashing around trying to grapple with the way the world is now and seeing other people somehow. I mean, it must be infuriating right to look at Diabat and think, Jesus, does he just have no.
Speaker 3: Worry?
Speaker 1: Does he have no concerns?
Speaker 2: Like it I even when he said listen, I find it very distressing when I learned about the people protein Like even when just him saying that, I was like, oh good, he there is still like some yeah, there's something.
Speaker 1: It's not just this.
Speaker 2: Everything is great, but still it must be so troubling to her that she is just like filled with turmoil and everybody else seems to be having a great time.
Speaker 5: Everybody else is making lemonade out of lemons and curls like yeah, yeah, well.
Speaker 3: You guys have actually raised a great point where when it comes to kind of you know what the show is about. As you were talking about that, I was like, wow, I love TV because that is also just so relatable to like anyone who's had depression or like trad or like any kind of you know, those days where you just freeze and you can't do anything, and you're like, well, everyone's out and everybody's doing something fun, and if they're not, then they're working on their really important project. And what should I do. Well, I've got a day off. Should I work on my project, Should I work on my script? Should I play in my PlayStation? Should I just sit? And you end up sitting there and doing nothing because you're almost frozen by the choices. I also feel like we're getting an element of that with Carol. It's I mean, it's the most extreme version where it's this idea of like she sort of has everything at her fingertips, but she's so unhappy that it will never defeat the nWay. Everything's boring, everything's terrible, And obviously a lot of that does come from being alone, not having community. But there's just so many layers to this show, and I feel like the best thing about it is the more we talk about it, the more we kind of are always uncovering different little like thoughts and plot points and notions that might have gone into it. And that's the kind of TV that's going to last for years, because you're going to have people talking about the same things we're talking about and different things we haven't even thought about but in ten years, right, because the show is that unique.
Speaker 4: Yeah too too.
Speaker 1: I'm sad that we're approaching the finale, Yes.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just to the last point you made, Rosie, It's it made me think too when I was watching the episode. It's like, what's kind of the point of having everything at your fingertips if you don't have anyone to share those experiences or moments with you. And that's what Carol, I think, is grappling with as well. She's like, Oh, they can make me e meal from any memory I've ever had, but like I'm sitting here alone in this empty restaurant eating it by myself, you know. So yeah, I think that it asked that interesting question too.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's ask the tough Diabarte question. Because obviously we know we love Deabarte he has become a fan favorite, but also is, and we have talked about how well they've kind of balanced the everything that he's doing and the way the hive mind works is very murky right now. But at the same time, isn't there something really interesting about the fact that the character is having a great time, is just getting along, who's doing the thing, who's surviving. He is kind of doing that by ignoring the reality of what's going on. And the person who is real about the reality, Carol, is just the most fucking annoying person you've ever met. And isn't that like so real? Yes, like the person you want not always hear that everything's terrible and the system is fucked and you need to do this and you can't do it by your and that is very much what Carol's living in. And again, I think Vince is doing these really interesting things of making her unlikable, but she's also the most relatable human person on the show that you would hope you would at least be on her side of things, right, you'd at least be in that I want to save the world side of things.
Speaker 5: And it's also interesting just even thinking thinking about it now, what you just said, you know, diabate Carol and Manusos are alone. They are by themselves, whereas the other survivors have family members, you know, kids or siblings or partners or whatever, and so their experience and I'm hoping or curious to see if we'll check in with any of those people a little bit more for the rest of the season. But you know, the way they're handling things because they still they have family members and people that they care about from before the joining are still with them. The way they're handling things I think is going to be in start contrast to the way Manuso's, Carol and Diabate handle things.
Speaker 3: Not gonna be willing to risk their family right right.
Speaker 5: But then even with the three of them, like they even though they're all isolated and alone, they're handling it in three very different ways. Now, Diabate is like hedonistic, living it up. He has his hair rum, he's living his best James Bond life. Manusos is so hardcore, like I gotta save the world, fuck everybody, you know. And then Carol's somewhere in the middle. She started closer to Manusos and is maybe inching closer towards Diabate, and so I think that's also really interesting dynamic too.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to realize Ian that I think you may be putting together a team actually maybe that maybe it's not a conflict. I think that what you're bringing up here is really smart, which is the three people who are all dealing with this insanely differently are also the three people who are alone. We're probably gonna have to come together because obviously, yeah, nobody whose sister is part of the Hive Mind or whose kid is part of the Hive Mind is gonna want to have to, you know, give them off as part of the unjoining exactly.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think that that can maybe be the conflict for season two or something further down the road. But I think that sets up an interesting dynamic as well. So yeah, I mean, the show's been excellent. This season has been amazing so far. I just can't wait to see what happens in the next two episodes Vince's cooking.
Speaker 3: What's your biggest like crazy out there pitch for the last two episodes and the kind of big reveals that we'll get. What do you feel like after watching these episodes, digging into the season or season, where do you feel like it's going next?
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, like we've said, you know, the next episode I think is going to be this kind of reunion Carolyn Zosha. It's gonna be beautiful emotional moment. They're probably gonna connect, and then we're going to have the conflict where Manuso's comes in. He's like, wait, what are you doing hanging out with this hivelind woman? Like I thought you wanted to save the world? Are you one of them now too?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: So I think that's going to be the main conflict in the finale, and I think, thinking back to what we just said, I think setting up that maybe the three of them trying to have to do something and convincing the rest of the survivors for a future season. I could see that going somewhere. And I have to imagine in the finale to what we will learn a little bit more about maybe the origins of the Highmind virus, or find out a little bit more of what their ultimate end goal is or something. I don't think he's going to end the season without revealing a little bit more. Yeah, a taste or maybe the Carol's eggs will come into play in the finale and that'll be the big like thing like, oh, you know, they're going to use their eggs to turners.
Speaker 2: By the way, with regards to the that would be crazy. I do wonder now that Manusos is in hospital.
Speaker 4: Are they going to take some stem cells from him?
Speaker 1: I mean, like if he's just bleeding.
Speaker 3: You know, I know, like what if he says, like what if they say to him, oh, hey, do you accept medical care to save your life? And he says yes, and they count that as consent?
Speaker 5: Right, Because somebody in a discord brought up an interesting point where you know where it was the Grenade episode where Carol's in the ambulance with Zosha and they're you know, ask them like, do you want us to clean up your house? And they said she like kind of absent mindedly nodded yes, like not really paying attention, and they took that as her consenting. So like, it seems like their definition of consent can be kind of really loose depending on the context. So that is a good point, Rosie. They might just like take it from him while he's unconscious or barely conscious or something.
Speaker 3: Jason, you raised this, and I do think now this is very intriguing because what if they get the semstells and they join him, but then they choose to have like pretend that he's not joined, you.
Speaker 1: Know, would they do that?
Speaker 2: I don't really, I don't think they can do that, but I will say that it's interesting though. If we're right about the stem cells, once material genetic material is outside of the body, they don't have to theoretically they would not need to ask for permission exactly.
Speaker 1: So if they have.
Speaker 2: Manuso's in the hospital and they're saving his life and whatever, you know, in the process of that, they're taking blood or there's you know, flesh, or they need maveragery and so there's stuff you know on the side now that's not part of him. I do wonder if now they are able to infect him and if that and if in doing that the light bulb goes on for Carol that oh shit, my eggs.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, oh, a teaching lesson character. I could definitely see Manusos be that, especially because he went through it this episode like he fought for his life and he got his big episode.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I can't wait, guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Well, on the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into the season finale of it. Welcome to Darry and we eagerly await the season finale.
Speaker 1: Plurvis.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode, Ian, Rosie, thanks for joining us, Thanks for listening, all of you.
Speaker 1: Goodbye bye, Thanks you.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jasoncepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.