Speaker 1: Late fifteen ten touched Upuck. Welcome to Chargers Weekly. Daniel Popper or kind enough to join us so you can follow him on x or Instagram or read him at the Athletic. We see it every time he joins us. Best of the best, and love the Athletic, love all our content. Popper's awesome in his coverage of the Chargers, and you build that out to Robert Mays and all the guys that are covering football and it really is a must have for any football fan. Pops, I'll let you promote the other stuff. Hops with Pop. I know you got a substack rolling, so why don't you just kind of push that immediately and make sure the folks that are tuning in know where they can find you.
Speaker 2: Always so nice money when I come on the show.
Speaker 3: But yeah, kind of substack rolling Hops with Pop dot substack dot com, streaming weekly, doing our live streams.
Speaker 2: You can get my.
Speaker 3: Podcast anywhere you get your podcast spotif Apple. So we do the live streams and they populate onto the podcast streaming services.
Speaker 2: You can rewatch the video on substack.
Speaker 3: I got a chat going on the substack that I'm pretty active in answering questions just put up a video the other day breaking down film a first round pick a Mario and Hampton. So got a lot of cool stuff going on over there and would obviously appreciate everyone heading over there to listen, to watch, and to hang out with me in the chat.
Speaker 1: Why don't we start with kind of what's There's really not a lot going on, but there is Phase two going on. Have you learned anything since the draft about this team? Signings non signings depth, the fact that they added a wide receiver on a rookie tryout, and Campbell just kind of what's happening in the Daniel Popp Rise as you look at the Chargers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so out at Phase two practice earlier this week, just kind of moseying about the sideline looking at guys. You know, one big thing was like this whole Zion Johnson the center thing I've been talking about since February was an idea and now we saw it in practice, or at least I did for the first I'm on Tuesday with him actually snapping balls to Justin Herbert. I'm fascinated to see what happens there as far as his transition, if their idea of what they think is going to happen actually materializes what happens on the interior. McKai Beckton is really big. That's another thing that jumps out. And you know, obviously, you know, my mind always goes to the offensive line first, but you know, you start envisioning Mkai Beckton and Joe Alt double teaming defensive linemen on the right side of that line in the run game, and your imagination starts to run wild a little bit.
Speaker 2: And then you look at these receivers.
Speaker 3: Man, you know, you see Justin Herbert throwing routes against air, you know, to a couple of these rookies.
Speaker 2: You look at Aronde Gadson their fifth round pick.
Speaker 3: You know, you look at all these explosive pieces they added to the offense, and you start thinking about, okay, like, how different is this going to look this year compared to last year when it was basically the Ladd mcconukee show and not much else. You know, how is Justin Herbert going to be able to attack down field, which you know, when we've seen him at his best, that's it, you know, it's it's really being able to tack with with players who can access the deep part of the field and then you know, Joe Hortiz and Jim Harbob said it. But you see the defensive lineman out there. You see that group working with defensive line coach Mike Elston, and they are big and they are deep, and I'm really curious to see among that group like who really like takes over and becomes the guy. You know obviously that you know, we had the same kind of questions heading into last year and it was ended up being poon Afford, But you could you could you could tell me, you know, five different guys that becomes sort of like the guy in that group who you know is getting the most playing time, producing the most. It could be Teer Tart, could be Jamark Caldwell, you could tell me, it could be Deshaun Hant. You know, I really like the way that he played on film for Miami against the Run. So just a few things there, but yeah, just kind of you look around the practice field and you're all right, looks a little bit different, but you know, there's a lot of potential, you know in some of these groups with them that they've made and how they've sort of restructured the roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of the one thing with this particular regime or iteration of Chargers football now and it's not going into its ninth year here in Los Angeles. That I feel with this particular team is just depth. I feel like there's a lot of depth out there, you know it is it blue chips? Don't know? I mean, you know, it's hard to say that, Yeah, there's blue chips out there right now, you know, but Putaford turned into a blue chip player, you know, on a low money deal, and I look at it and it's just like, Wow, there's so much depth that we're gonna have. You're gonna have a hell of a time. We always have fun doing the fifty three popper. I think the fifty threes. Is it four running backs? Is it seven wide receivers? Is it four tight ends? Is it five tight ends? If you include a full back. You know, there's a lot of different I guess ways that this roster could be constructed based on how they want to play and the amount of players that they've kind of thrown into this mix save one group, like the one group that I look at and I'm like, Wow, it's O line And it's like you just kind of think about what's behind that You know, if it's going to be the same starting front, you know, plus Mackay, Beckeden and Tray is your swing. I kind of look at what's behind that, and that's the one where I circle and I'm like, okay, I could see them maybe keeping an eye on cuts and guys that are performing somewhere else. But otherwise I feel I mean, tell me if you feel like I'm missing something here, I feel pretty good just based on sort of the money they gave Dante Jackson and you know, it's not a lot, but it's enough to suggest, Okay, they think he's going to be a viable contributor to this team in Saint Jus just kind of fits what they like, you know, and I think he's a tracy guy that they like, and they're like, yeah, give this guy to clink and you'll see him take the steps. So for me, it's if there's one position that I look at, it's that one. It's like, wow, I could I could see them looking for a better interior backup offensive lineman in case back then as an injury history, you know, something happens there or with Zion or with with Bozeman. You know, I think everybody's kind of talking a little bit now about Andre James and maybe there were some you know that the falloff last year wasn't necessarily because of the offense, but there could be an issue you know, medically that that he was dealing with, and you wonder whether or not he's passed that. So to me, that's that's the one position group that I'm looking at and I'm like, Okay, who's still out there? Who can they get for that bargain or that that you know late day three pick that they could you know, the Elijah Molden deals that they were making, that they could go out and scoop up to just kind of help that particular room out a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it sort of speaks to the depth that that's the position group you bring up, and I agree with you, but like your things. You know, sixth offensive lineman and Trey Pipkins has started you know what, forty something games in the league. Yeah, you know, your your seventh offensive lineman, Jamari Salier has started at two different positions and over the over a full season.
Speaker 2: So like it, like it could be a lot worse.
Speaker 3: Like, trust me, you and I have both covered this team long enough to know that you could be in a much much worse position on your offensive line than they are in. But you know, I do agree with you, and that's probably my biggest question, you know, heading into OTAs and heading into you know, training camp, how does this work out?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And you can even throw Andre James in there. I mean Andre James has started sixty games, right, yeah, So but it's like, okay, how does this work out? You know, you know when the pads come on? You know, what does Zion Johnson look like at center? Is that actually going to work out? How does left guard shake out?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Is Brandon Taylor a guy that we are overlooking here as somebody who could potentially play left guard?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They're trying and there right now.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's all an idea right now, you know, with that group specifically, it's like you don't really know what you have until those pads come on and you start seeing these guys actually work and play through contact and all of that kind of stuff. But you know, I've been saying it for for months. At this point, like I felt like they probably needed two new starters on the interior to really get this thing to a place where they could play the way that Jim Harbaugh wants to play right now, it's it's looking like one new starter and and there are guys still out there right like on the on the free Asian market that potentially could come in.
Speaker 1: Will Hernandez is you know, yeah for sure?
Speaker 3: Right And if you're saying competitors welcome like you want right now, it could be you know, three guys battling at center and four guys battling at left guard like why not more right?
Speaker 1: Like yeah, I think one thing it also tells you pop and you know this is like there's not a lot offensive linemen out there, man that you can find yourself d lineman. You can find edge rushers, you can find dprs and you know, is it easy? No, but you can. You know, those those guys, I feel like you can. You have a better opportunity to find them than you do, oh lineman. When people and I'm talking about high level when when teams find high level O lineman in less of the Houston Texans, they keep them, you know, and those guys just rarely bake the market. And so that's sort of the one thing that that I'm anxious to see how this Slater deal is is going to be squared away because you and I have talked about this for years now, and just how the number keeps going up and up and up, and I don't know how that reconciles with this front office where it could have been twenty eight last year and now it's I would imagine north of thirty based on his agent and what his agent wants and if you're representing these guys and he's an all pro, you know, and it's just and look, I've done this before, man. I have done this dance with Derwin, I've done it with Bosa, I've done it with Herbert, and ultimately it gets done. We talked to Joe Ortiz last week and he said all the right thing. He's like, come on, man, of course we're going to get Slater back. There's no doubt about it. It's just you know, working through it. But I just kind of look at it through that financial lens of and this deal got a lot more expensive. I would imagine from Rashawn's side, from his agent side, that this deal with the jump in the cap, with the non quarterback pay percentage of cap that non quarterbacks are getting now at edge and at you know, with Miles Garrett and at wide receiver with Chase I just I think it's going to be a little bit tougher than maybe some people are.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what I'd say about that, it takes two to make a deal. So Rashaun Slater in his camp also would have had to want to make a deal last year versus betting on him and knowing that there were deals that were gonna get done, and knowing that if he played well and entered this offseason without a contract extension, that he would probably make more money. So I think that's part of it, right, But ultimately, like like you said, you mentioned those guys, like all of those deals went either right up to the edge of training camp. Within Thurwin's case, it went to August seventeenth. I looked this up, you know, the timing of all this stuff, even like Keenan's extension went right up until like Labor Day when he signed.
Speaker 2: His that was the third contract.
Speaker 3: The other guys are obviously second contracts, and like, yeah, it's a new front office, but Ed maguire is still negotiating the contracts and it's the same ownership and so like this is sort of the process. You know, they're gonna they're gonna negotiate, right and like at this point, you know, maybe it's like still a little bit early, but as it gets towards training camp, like like the number is the number at that point you're negotiating over like the minutia of the contract, and like the agents are are trying to get the absolute best deal for their clients. And then when they come to the table again or they're trying to get new clients, they can point to things that they.
Speaker 2: Were able to negotiate.
Speaker 3: So I the way this has always happened historically, Like my guess is it's like report day, day before report day. Maybe it extends into training camp like it did with Derwin, but that deal was, like the Durwin deal was basically done. It was two weeks of like haggling over like the minutia of the minutia of the contract and then you know, but Derwin was at practice and like eventually.
Speaker 2: It gets done and it becomes like.
Speaker 3: A total afterthought, you know, by the start of the regular season.
Speaker 2: So it just it it makes sense.
Speaker 3: And at the end of the day, like the market is the market, Like if you if you have a left tackle that is an elite player, like you're gonna pay him a certain amount of money. It's not like they're gonna get some huge discount here because they're playing, you know, tough at the negotiating table now when he's not.
Speaker 1: All pro, not when he's an all pro left tackle. It's just exactly right and.
Speaker 3: Also the way you want to play, like right, like like when you're when when your run game coordinator Andy Bischoff comes out in his first press conference and he says, we have an O line centric building and you have an elite left tackle and you don't pay him top of the market, Like those two things don't know that you know, don't line up, you know, so ultimately, like if you're gonna be a physical, dominant line of scrimmage team, like you better be paying your elite offensive lineman, you know, like their elite offensive lineman based on what the market is on you.
Speaker 1: And I think it also sends a signal to your first round, top five pick from last year, like we appreciate you. This is this is an O line, you know, tip of the spear. O line is a weapon, play physical football, Like it's just like you said, it runs in step with everything that's been messaged by this front office, this coaching staff of how they want to build a team. So again I just for me, it's and there's no scar tissue there, right, I've never I've done this is my ninth year. I've never once had a contract issue lead to a trade going into a season because they weren't able to resolve it. So you know, on that front, it's not like I have anything that that I can point to to say, yeah, I'm just worried about this thing happening again and just haven't seen that, you know. I mean, I guess you could say Keenan from last year when he refused to take a pay cut, But that was totally understandable. I think based on you know that that Joey and Khalil took a pay cut, that they were thirty whatever million dollars over the cap, and you couldn't bring that guy back not taking a pay cut when the other two guys did. That was a little bit.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, different.
Speaker 3: I thought that that situation probably could have been handled differently from from keenanside.
Speaker 2: I think the one thing I will.
Speaker 3: Pay from from that side, Yes, the one thing I could bring up with Rashan though, is like, you do you do wonder if the injury stuff is factoring into this negotiation. Right, missed all of twenty two, you know, had a bit of a down year in twenty three as he was battling ankle issues. You know, had the peck injury last year. Obviously he was able to play through it, but you do wonder if that does you know, factor into sort of the thought process there. And obviously, like you know, it's a cold business when you get to the negotiating table, like everything becomes a thing that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So I was wondering if I were in his camp, my pushback on that would be is, yeah, you know what a lot of other guys would out, they would they would set out. But Rashaan is is a freaking psycho and a warrior and is all about protecting Justin Herbert and that's why he was out there. And but you're right, it's like what's the vast And then you just kind of look at you know, when you're trying to read these tee Lea's and you look at Baltimore and you look at their offensive line and particularly tackles. They like giants, you know, they like these massive human beings. And Joe Walt and Mackai backed then and and I think, and look, that's why the Chargers were able to draft Rashaan Slater because there were people that were concerned about the size, about the length, and all he is is just the best technician in football. And once he gets his hands on you, it is absolutely over.
Speaker 2: Just watch that. I don't I don't care about it. Just watch the film.
Speaker 3: Like if they're having questions about that because he doesn't fit a certain profile, just go watch the film.
Speaker 2: And that's all you need to know exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't want to it's a waste of my time. But I am actually segueing into something else, and that is these first three games of the season, and why I'm like, Okay, this has got to get figured out in training camp, Like this is not a okay, we gotta you know, because it's Chris Jones and the Chiefs, it's Christian Wilkins and the Raiders. It's that front of of you know, that front seven of Denver that's gonna be coming after that interior line. And they're all division games, and I mean that's I mean, when you look at that at what the Broncos did this offseason and DJ Jones and Cooper and Greenlaw and Alan like it is a I don't want to say no name, but you know what I mean, Like it's not that splash, but man, that's a good front and that that old line is going to be tested. Like you're you're Zion Johnson and you got freaking Chris Jones lining up over you and you're trying center for the first time in a game. That's That's what I'm talking about on this particular position group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I'm I'm I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Like in I went into the offseason feeling like they were going to be aggressive and trying to fix this because it was bad in Houston. Like if you want to point to one thing that went wrong there, you know, you know, go nine plays into the game and you'll see, you know, Zion and Bradley Boseman, you know, unable to pick up a stunt in the interior, leading to you.
Speaker 2: Know, pressure. So you know, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I think like from their eyes, like if McKai Beckton is playing at the level he was playing for with the Eagles, and he's on the field and he's available, you know, the idea is that he's going to elevate everybody.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Yeah, you know, which I think is fair.
Speaker 3: I don't really have any questions about like what McKai Beckton can be. I think you can probably ask the question like, Okay, you know how much of it was Jeff stoutlind the Eagles offensive line coach. Is he going to continue to play at that level? But if he's on the field, I think he's going to be a very clear upgrade at the position.
Speaker 2: To me, it's like how many games are you going to get out of him?
Speaker 3: Because you talk to some people around the league and they look at what happened with the Eagles and they're like, that's the aberration, Like getting eighteen games out of that guy between the regular season and the playoffs. Like is he going to be able to you that now, we did play sixteen games the year before with the Jets, and maybe he's put this stuff behind him, But like we've we've gone down this road before where you feel like the Chargers go out and free agency and they fix a problem with an injury. You know, a player with an injury history like Brian Buloga is a great example, like Boom signed Brian Bulaga immediately right tackle set, and we got hurt the first first game of the season, and then all of the Sun contract and then it's all of a sudden, you're you're on Storm Norton and it's like it's it's not good, you know, so you know, and but that's you know, it's a good problem to have, you know, Like there's been years past where you're talking specifically about like, Okay, the starters are not good enough, but now it's like, okay, do you have enough contingencies? And they do have players that have played, but I'm one hundred percent with you like that is my focus is like what happens at center, what happens at left guard?
Speaker 2: How much do you get him a Kai backed in? And have they done enough.
Speaker 3: Here to improve what was the biggest weakness of the team last year in my opinion, And and we're going to find out, like you said right away, you know, and I you know, and I love what the Broncos did.
Speaker 2: Like this offseason.
Speaker 1: I was probably the best off off season in football. I think when you tell you, now, look, Drake Greenlaw's on the wrong side of thirty. He's coming off a serious injury. They gave him thirty million dollars. It's that's there. They're risks when you when you make these sort of deals. But I think they clearly had you know, they clearly had positions they wanted to address. They wanted that stretch, you know, the field athletic tight end, they got it. And Evan Ingram. They wanted some some juice in the backfield. They got it in R. J. Harvey. You know, they wanted to provide depth on that front. You know, it's like everything and then what do they do. They make arguably one of the strongest rooms in the NFL, even stronger with Joddy Baron, Like it's just love that. Yeah, it's the one thing about the Broncos is and I know it's you know, it's it's I can't say why, but it's I don't know about Bonick Schet. I know, I shouldn't say. I just don't know. I don't know. I don't know if I'm buying it yet, you know, if I'm if I'm really buying it. Just yeah, and there's and there's no reason for it other than it was pretty pretty clunky for a handful of games there. It was really good looking for a couple of games there. I'm just not quite sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was clunky until he played the Chargers that first time and almost started running around. Yeah how many times that happen to the Chargers, by the way, But next turns his season around against the Chargers. They obviously win the game, but like they couldn't keep him in the pocket. That for remember Jordan Love, Jordan Love was essentially going to be out of the league, and.
Speaker 1: It was in one half. It was the second half of that game where just busted coverage after busted coverage and palms in the air and we're flying home from Green Bay and the charter going the hell was that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: I literally had players in the Chargers locker room ask me like, did we just like make that guy's career?
Speaker 2: And I was like maybe.
Speaker 3: I remember, like at the halftime of that game at LAMBA, I remember having a conversation with Matt Schneidman, who covers the Packers for us, and I'm really like, are they sure about this guy? Likely talking about Jordan Love after the first half, right, the second half happens, he leads him back and then you.
Speaker 2: Know, the rest is history. You know, playoff run, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So but yeah, going back, I'm sorry, Papa, I was gonna say, unless you if you have something, I was gonna say, just kind of going back to the old line. I think it's also, you know, a signal from the front office and the running backs they now have populating that room, you know, And I think even you hear the way they talk about Rhene Sanders and here's another guy that's two hundred and twenty, two hundred and twenty five pounds. You know, they're all two twenty plus. I mean, now she's two forty, for God's sake. So it's clear there's this shift and they want these guys going this way and not this way. And that's something we just did not see enough of last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the running back room is is really solid. I mean I think, like I know, there are there are sections of the fan base that were like running back at twenty two, and this is Omarion Hampton is going to be a fan favorite by like week two, Like he's gonna have one run in the opening game of the season where he just trucks a safety and people are and and by by the you know, by week three, you know, there's gonna be a mari and Hampton jerseys everywhere. Like I'm just I'm I'm very confident that this guy is going to be a difference making player. And you know, you talk about last year right, like they did catch lightning in a bottle a little bit with JK Dobbins, But you know, he misses that big stretch of the season. You know, he played thirteen games, but that those four games he missed were really big.
Speaker 2: You know, Gus Edwards was battling injuries.
Speaker 3: They didn't really have the two headed monster that they were that they were hoping for when they when they signed Gus and JK last year.
Speaker 2: Nor did they.
Speaker 3: Really have that like consistency. But I love the way this room is fitting together. Like Naje Harris, they bring in like he is what he is, Like is he a home run hitter or no, But like sometimes you need guys that are contact hitters, that are doubles hitters. You can hand off the ball and they're gonna go get what's blocked for them, and they're gonna play with a certain level of physicality and they're gonna be on the field every week Like it's going to be seventeen games, durability, toughness, like that's important, and then you go out and get an explosive guy like Omar and Hampton, and now you're like, it's not like a Marion Hampton has to come in and be the number one back right away, like you can hand it off de Naja Harris and O Marion Hampton has time. But like it's a different looking backfield. It's a different looking backfield, and I think it's all geared towards getting this offense to play within the philosophy of Jim Harbaugh, Like you want to be able to physically dominate and if the offensive line there, we'll see, you know. I think if Mkai Beckton can stay in the field that right side, it's pretty solid.
Speaker 1: But I think it's been missing right like they've never been able to run right, Like it's it's we've been like Myers, you're running left more and that is the one thing. You know, Zion and Rashaan did a pretty good job of blocking it up in the run game, and you saw production to that side. And then even last year, I know we were just scratching our heads like why can't they run right? Like what is going on with this team and now with that pair that that could certainly dramatically change this this offense and get some defensive linemen on their heels instead of on their toes so much, which we've seen for the last it feels like three four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well the first question is why can't they run right? And then later in the season is why are they still running right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly exactly right the.
Speaker 2: Way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know, you feel like the run game is going to be improved just because of what the backfield is. You know, a Marion Hampton is a guy that's going to be able to make something out of nothing in a.
Speaker 2: Big way, very consistently.
Speaker 3: JK did it at times last year, but it's you know, Amari and Hampton's going to present a completely different animal, I think in that regard. So I love what they've done with the running back room. But you know, going back to something you said earlier that I thought was a good point, you know, it's a it's a deep roster. I give them a lot of credit for building a deep roster, but but where are those blue chips? I think that's the big question, you know, And and they're going to need guys to step up into into those positions, right, Like I think you even look at edge rusher like last year, you know, it was the strength of the defense and they built the defense around the edge rushers. Now you lose Joey Bosa. You know, you still feel like cloon Mack can be a high level player. But he's thirty four. You know who's stepping up in that room like toy Blow two is going to be you know, starting players.
Speaker 1: You have him ranked pop Popper on the Athletic Another reason why you should subscribe twenty to number one most important Players for the upcoming Charger season. Where'd you put two Lee? Because I would assume he's the top ten, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's fringe eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, you know, me, I had four offensive linemen in the top ten because I'm a psycho.
Speaker 3: But I mean I've watched enough football in my life to know, like that's how you win football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we watched it in Houston. Why it did. But Tully to me is, you know, and I read it. I didn't want to make it sound like I did. And I read the articles. They're great, but I just remember him kind of being right there and me saying, yeah, like Tuley's gotta this is Tooley's time though you know you're you're now the guy. It's ew and Khalil and we've seen those flashes and the November was it November October last year where he had the wild production for a month, like, let's see it, man, because it feels like it's in there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I wonder with Tully, like, because some people have brought this up to me, like, do you think you know, if he's if he's become if he becomes a starter and he's not playing you know, three hundred to four hundred special team snaps, does that impact you know, his production because I think I think if they can find other players, you know, if Kyle Canard takes over, for example, his special team snaps, it.
Speaker 1: Makes sense that he would, right based on how he's built in the profile. I mean, it looks like Chris Rump kind of you know sort of deal, right, a little bigger. Yeah, well you could say that for just about anybody. Sorry Chris.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so you know I wonder, you know, obviously he has this opportunity to take over this number two role and be a starter. You know, can they afford to take some special teams off his plate so that he's fresher on defense. And what does that mean for you know, his production? And you know, obviously like he produced last year, I don't know if like I think it was eight and a half sacks, nine sacks something like that. Yeah, I don't think he really played at that level consistently. I actually thought his tape was better as a rookie than a second year player. But I could I could see an argument otherwise. So you know, can can you get the consistent down to down, you know, pass rush productivity from him with an increased roll on defense and maybe maybe taking some of that special teams off his plate with other younger players moving into that role.
Speaker 1: I mean, geez, poor Ryan ficken Man, just his his special team's got absolutely rated this offseason. But I think also credit to Geortiz is you know, you bring Troy Die back, and you you know, it looked like a lot of these picks, you know, especially Mickens and Bridges and Canard, like it feels like, okay, I can see, yeah, these guys absolutely fit that profile. Dean Leonard still on the team, John Taylor, I believe, Yeah, they're up there, both still on the team, so at least you still have some core for stalwarts you know out there that that can help. I think you know a guy that I could totally see being one of those core four guys, and it's just such fun tape to watch the splash plays is Steve Oklotts. You know, Yeah, that's that Guy's got Ryan Ficken written all over him. Is like probably his favorite player that we're going to see when these OTAs in training camp gets rolling.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I don't know if he's gonna make the fifty three, but that's a guy to circle for the practice squad that's gonna get an elevation in like week six and play a bunch of special team snaps.
Speaker 2: I loved his film.
Speaker 3: It's like he's he's really he's not like a big dude, but he just gets after it in the run game. And now, like you understand why, like jam is bringing up Steve O. Klatts's press conference when you go watch his tape, because you know, you can line up at h back, tight end, full back and he gets downhill and he gets after people in the run game, So like, you know, he's a guy absolutely you could see called up and and uh, you know, make an impact on special teams in the game middle of the season when they're battling some injuries and you know, maybe play ten to twelve snaps on offense. But I mean that's the life going back to Ryan Ficken, you know, that's the life of a special teams coach.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I mean it's every year you got turnover and you're piecing it together and you're getting young guys that, oh, yeah, I played a ton of special teams in college, and then they come in and they're raw and you got it, you know, right, and you gotta.
Speaker 2: Figure it out.
Speaker 3: And you know that's why I think, you know, I think it's unfortunate that special teams coaches do get looked over a little bit when you're talking about you know, head coaching hirings and interviews and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Like there's no.
Speaker 3: Coach outside of the head coach on the roster that has to be more familiar with the entire roster than special teams coaches because they have to look under every rock and every nook and cranny to find guys that they think can play consistent football for them.
Speaker 2: And Ryan Picken has done a really good job.
Speaker 3: But I think that was a little bit of a part of what happened last year, you know, especially on the punt unit. You know, I don't think JK. Scott had a good season, but there were so many pieces rotating through there, you know, guys off the practice squad and waivers and you know, and they had so many injuries there early in the season, between Jah and Dean Leonard at a hamstring and Nick Neeman you know, missed the first four games of the season. So it's going to be interesting to see, like how some of these young guys, some of these rookies, you know, impact special teams because ultimately, like it does matter when you know, obviously the plays themselves. We're talking about Tooley, right, like, yeah, he if they're they're going to take special team snaps off his plate, somebody has to take those on and they have to be close to as good.
Speaker 2: As Tooley is, right, so really good, right.
Speaker 3: So, and if they don't have somebody that can take those snaps, then all of a sudden, Tuley has to play three hundred and fifty special team snaps and then you watch, you wonder how that affects his his defense. So it all sort of pairs together, but I do want to say that special teams coaches deserve a little bit more love.
Speaker 1: And then you're going, let's see, I'm just going to kind of go into the who's still available in the edge market out there? Von Miller? You want a thirty six year old Von Miller who made twenty million bucks? Matt Judaan, I know we've talked about him, But for Zadarias Smith, Preston Smith, You'davi and Clowney. I mean, there's still guys out there, and I think that may be that that's something probably to.
Speaker 2: Keep an eye on and go and go with five.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, I think if Thicken's like, hey, dude, these guys aren't ready, we got to keep tu Lee out there, and then you just kind of take a little bit off his plate and you can go pluck like they did with Bud. Whether they give him nine million year, I think, you know, kind of a little bit later and in that second.
Speaker 2: I think it was total nine million.
Speaker 1: It was two years yea two years nine. So that's interesting thing that that could make sense if if it's not working. The one just kind of speaking to that, the the Steve Oclots and like the back end there. Like so many people. When they they signed him as a priority undrafted free agent, We're like, oh, Rahem Sanders, and I was like, slow down, you got a son. Haskins is a special team stalwart and short yards back. He's making the team. You just drafted Hampton, You've got Najie Harris, they just drafted Kamani Videll last year. And then I started watching a little bit more Rahiem Sanders, and then I started listening to the coach and then we talked to Geortiz last week and you just saw his face light up when he was talking about Oz at the South Carolina game when we were in Charlotte, and then I busted this run and I was like that's and I'm like, Okay, I think this guy might he might be pushing, you know, if they feel like he can fill that role with a little more explosiveness. Then I just think Haskins, to me, was one of the more underappreciated players last year because of how much he did on special teams and pass pro and when he had to be a fullback, he was a full bed. There was just a lot there and I was like, I can't see them moving on from him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're if you're a running back trying to make it in the league, go look at Hassan Haskins. And if you can play that style, and you can and you can play a ton on special teams, and you can tackle, and you can be athletic and physical in that phase, you're going to make a lot of rosters as a third running back because you just need that flex, right, you know, you need that flex deeper in your running back room. And so I agree, I think that the spot to watch is the fourth running back spot. You know, depending on how roster shakes out. But you know, it's a big, big off season for command of idell. You know, like like that's one like the linebacker versus running back one on one pass protection drills, those periods during training camp. I will be watching very closely because he obviously has some juice. You know, he caught that touchdown pass.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The first place the issue is like can he get to the NFL level in terms of pass protection because he had a really rough game against the Bucks and it makes you sort of scratch your head and say, like, okay, there's a long way to go there with a full off season. You know, how does he look in terms of being able to take on linebackers from a physical standpoint, but also identification things of that.
Speaker 1: Key right there to me is that he's got to see it.
Speaker 2: It's just it.
Speaker 1: It felt he felt a little bit slower than it tick slow last year and got to the point where you know, dangerous and yeah, and so that'll be yeah, fourth, fourth running back versus seventh wide receiver is just I know they did it out of training camp last year with Brendan Rice. I just can't see it this year.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget that money. I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll never forget that.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Did we talk you out of it?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, I talked you out of it. I was like Aaryan seven wide receivers, You're crazy, Pop. It was the last the last we were in the booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We were at annual, Yeah my annual?
Speaker 1: Or were we in Dallas? Were we in Dallas?
Speaker 3: Or were we Honestly, I can't I can't remember exactly where we were in the booth. For the final preseason game, I was like set, I had my fifty three set. I was like, I'm going seven receivers. No one's going to convince me otherwise, I'm taking the best fifty three. These seven receivers have all earned a spot. I like had my my logic was all ironed out, and I went and DJ was like, no shot.
Speaker 1: No shot, damn.
Speaker 2: Like this guy worked with Joe, Yeah he might, like he's got to know.
Speaker 3: And then I got moved off my spot and I will never happen again.
Speaker 1: What you did? You put Traman Morris Brash in there. I think instead as the U as the I can't.
Speaker 2: Remember I did something that I regret.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say it again. I don't think they carry seven out. I just don't. I don't. I don't see it. It's yeah, you know, it's it's the two rookies. It's Mike Williams Quinton you know obviously, lad and figure it out. Man.
Speaker 3: I have six right now, So I have my running fifty three going already because again I'm a psycho, so I've already.
Speaker 2: Because it's it's just a good way.
Speaker 3: It's good to get the process started early, so just so you can see, like, okay, where are the pressure points, like where the competition is sort of going to be shaping up.
Speaker 2: So I have six right now, lad Trey Harris, R.
Speaker 3: KLS, Mike Williams, Darius, and then I have Quintin in right now.
Speaker 2: But like this is a big off season for Quentin too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like they took two guys that can play your position, you know, like in theory, if you put Mike at X, like it could be Trey Harris at Z could be KLS and Z right, so, and and Quentin can't play X, Like that's it's not it's not gonna happen at this point.
Speaker 1: I think it's clear based on who they signed and who they drafted, and and then you look at the tryout, Like I said, the fact that they then signed you know, Dale Von Campbell, who's another six', four two hundred and you, know five pound outside. Receiver it's like clearly there was a. Type you, know there was, speed and there was, size and there were guys that PLAYED x and you know in. College and SO i think you're, Right like it's For. Quentin you, KNOW i feel LIKE i always feel bad talking about it because by all, accounts great, guy hard, worker you, know all of those, things and typically that when you're a first round, pick that goes a long. Way you're not a, Jerk you're not you, know you're not, complaining you're not slacking trying to get. Better it's just those you, know you have The raider game in week whatever it was week, eighteen, right and then and then you have the playoff, game and it's, like, uh which which is? It you? Know so, Yeah I'M i struggled to BECAUSE i could tight end AND i, see you, know obviously four and you know With, Disley, Conkling gadsden And, fisk all four of those guys are making.
Speaker 3: It and you, know, YEAH i mean you could you could like potentially Stash fisk on the on the practice.
Speaker 1: SQUAD i just thought he was, good he was no.
Speaker 3: But how many, teams how many teams in the league are looking for that skill, set you, know, right and maybe more than in the past because the teams are starting to run the ball a little bit, more but.
Speaker 1: Right and then it comes down To Matt locke and that development and they've invested so much there and the idea that they're just going to be, like, yeah, well you, Know fisk can fill that role and that's how you save that spot. There but it just feels like you, know between how coaches talked about him and how much they've invested in trying to get him to be a full, back and the fact that he did gradually get better week after week toward the end of the, year it would feel weird that they would just kind of throw that.
Speaker 2: Aside, Yeah AND i mean the flexibility is, great.
Speaker 3: Right you stash him on the roster and you play him at defensive tackle and he'll give you functional. Player you can play them on offense And i'll give you functional, play. Right even you can can play on special. Teams you, know he's playing on the kick return unit last year with the new kickoff, role so, RIGHT i am curious, though like is it gonna be the same role as last year or if he, doesn't or if he's on the, roster is it going to be like an offense.
Speaker 1: ONLY i, mean what do they. Say they preach it all the time with every, position, right just flexibility much how much flexibility means for, them you? Know and and the fact that you, know like you Heard Jesse minner talk about it with, corners with, SAFETIES i want my best five on the. FIELD i don't care what position they're. PLAYING i want them on the field and you heard that with offensive, Line, well we Think zion can play, Center bradley can play. Guard we love the flexibility at tray and it's like it's a team that preaches that all the, time and so you, Know Matt, LOCKE i know it's a little bit, different but, yeah between special team snaps offense, SNAPS i mean you can you can get worn down pretty quickly. There it'll be interesting to see if he is going to be a full time fullback and if they're going to run those packages all the time like it felt like they did last year with this bigger. Backfield that's it's way too early to go through the fifty. THREE i didn't mean to take that direction, here but it just gets fun doing. IT i love, that you, KNOW i know we talk about it all the. Time i'm sure you already have your preliminary fifty three sitting in front of you that you're constantly.
Speaker 3: MOVING i, do, well it's fifty four right, now just BECAUSE i haven't like narrowed it, down BUT i do have like a running kind just BECAUSE i want to, see, like, okay where if we're going to be making.
Speaker 2: Decisions, here like what are the.
Speaker 3: Decisions you, Know i'm really curious, about, like you, know the corner, room how the corner room and so.
Speaker 1: WHAT i was just it's, FUNNY i was just looking at that as we're. Talking i've got it here in front of, me and you, know the one name that obviously jumps out and again Sorry Ryan, fickett It's John. Taylor, Right it's, like where where does joh fit into? This when it felt like he kind of lost his position last year and kind of took a step back on the depth chart after being given an. Opportunity the weird thing for me last year was just that we didn't see More Dean, leonard you, know based on sort of what we saw from him in camp and in some of those preseason, games that he wasn't a guy that got some more.
Speaker 2: Reps, yeah, No i'm with.
Speaker 3: YOU i loved WHAT i saw From Dean, leonard specifically in the preseason. Games he made a couple of plays that were really really. Impressive, SO i, mean here's the thing With. Jah he had a pretty significant injury In week one of last, year and he played through, it and you got to give him credit for playing through. IT a lot of guys would not have played through the injury that he, had AND i think that really, affected you, know how he was able to. Play you saw he was in and, out constantly getting worked on on the. Sideline you, KNOW i was expecting a big jump from, him and you, KNOW i think the injury kind of derailed his. Season BUT i think when you when you talk About josh specifically with this year's fifty, three this year's, roster he can play well in the. Slot he showed us that he can play well at, nickel AND i think you kind of need that with the way the room is set up right. Now Obviously drwin's going to be playing a lot in the, slot but After, derwin It's tarheb, right and then it's, like, okay where's your you, know where's your depth? There which is WHY i, think you, Know jock potentially have a route to fifty three because you look at the rest of the, Guys Cam hart outside Only Dante jackson is an outside, Guy Benjamin saint ju just, Outside Dean leonard. Outside Tar heeb can obviously play. Both jah has played, both but has played as better football as a as a nickel, Player so that.
Speaker 2: Would be my only.
Speaker 3: Reason you, know they do have some some of these undrafted free agents that project as potential nickel. Guys, yeah but that would be my only point On John.
Speaker 1: Taylor, yeah it's and again IT'S i think you said, it and everybody really picked on him last, year you, know and and it's it's not. Fair he easily could have just SAID i can't do it and and not been out there and and avoided all of. That the defensive line, group, AGAIN i DON'T i feel like that's pretty. SETTLED i can't imagine them unless it's the whole special teams thing With. TULEY i don't think there's an interior alignment that they're gonna go, pluck you, know if he gets cut. SOMEWHERE i feel like they're kind of settled. There we've heard a lot about a boyg bee and putting on that twenty pounds of, muscle and we were told he was a developmental player last year and not to you know that this is someone who's, raw And elston's gonna work with him and have some, patience and you, know by all accounts that's exactly how it played. Out AND i mean you saw, him you're out there at phase. Two does he look a lot different than he did last. Year he looks, bigger.
Speaker 3: But, yeah we'll see when the pads come. On you, know that's sort of Where i'm. At but you, KNOW i think it's LIKE i guess the POINT i would make is like in the, past when we talked through the roster like this at this. Stage you, know under previous regimes you're talking about, Like, okay this guy has to make a, jump like this guy is, starting and if he doesn't make a, jump they have nothing behind. Him WHAT i WHAT i appreciate about what this regime does is you have so many contingencies built in where like If justin And boygbe makes a, jump, Great if he, doesn't you have other options as far as guys that can, play WHICH i think the big difference THAT i see between how these two regimes are pro roster.
Speaker 1: Building, yeah, no that's fair. Point you know it's nake One. Jones it's To sean. Hand obviously we saw Tier tart was a you, know rotational get him in there on passing downs only, player and, man he just. Flashed he just, like get that guy more snaps and and same thing With. Poona the way you, know the thought going into the season when he was signed of what he might be compared to what he. Became one of the things that was interesting with with the conversation that that you know we had with with Coach minter was you, know him, saying you, know the fact that everybody wants to pigeonhole us is his own D it's just who we. Had he's, LIKE i would much rather be able to play more, man.
Speaker 2: It's still who they have. Though.
Speaker 1: YEAH i, think, WELL i think that's sort of the that's sort of the you, know the The Saint, juice the the the traits based kind of idea of can you get these big bridges as a traits sort of, guy can you coach them up to a point where we saw them coach up to guys saying you, know, Look Cam harr played really well on the outside when he was, healthy AND i did not see that on That Notre dame film at.
Speaker 2: All LIKE i w key part of that statement, though is one, healthy.
Speaker 1: Right and that's BUT i Just i'm speaking to the coaching when they're given a guy with these sort of traits and, like, hey we can coach them into, this and we, can but you're, RIGHT i, MEAN i DON'T i don't see a press. Man put him on the island and we're good if we can we can kind of take everything else and worry about. IT i don't see that on this.
Speaker 3: Team, yeah but it's also, LIKE i, mean you're also obviously you're playing into what you.
Speaker 2: Have but you, know Like tarivs still like he's.
Speaker 3: Going to be at his best when he's playing in a lot of his own. Coverage like he's very an instinctive players great when he can see it and drive down you.
Speaker 2: Know so, YEAH i get where he's coming.
Speaker 3: FROM i, MEAN i think every defensive coordinator would love you know, too all pro corners in the outside and you play man all the. Time, yeah but free everybody up, Right BUT i think like the way that, LIKE i don't think the room is different this year where they're all of a sudden going to be playing a ton of man.
Speaker 1: Cover now that that would have to be something that gets. Plucked and, again premium. Position rarely do those guys become, available and you're not going, to like you, said go out and find a guy that's that you're comfortable putting out there on an island and changing the way you. Play the one thing that THAT i, that you, know AND i should do a better job of pushing your your top twenty BECAUSE i believe he was in there IF i remember. Right But Junior colson is a Big, yeah he's a HUGE x factor because of What dayon. Did AND i was having this conversation with O'Neil this week just how it's funny that you look at how much money some of these off ball linebackers got because the market was so, thin and you're, like damn they got, that you, know that kind of, Scratch and here The chargers could go into the season with arguably the best room in the. League If colson's what we think he could, become And dayon takes that step To Pro, bowl all pro, level it could really end up being the strength of this. Defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah SO i had both of those guys in my top. TWENTY i had Day on at number. SIX i just kept inching him, up LIKE i THINK i had him at. Ten But i'm just, like, man there's so much left in the tank for. Him you, like he was really good last, year but you think about some of those ops he had for you, know interception, sacks like the sack like if he makes that sack On Patrick mahomes against The chiefs late in the, season right on the final, play like he played really really. Well but if he starts making some of these plays that were on the table for, him you, know what level can he get? To AND i just kept inching him, up AND i feel like he's going to be really really. Important he's gonna be the green dot signal. Caller he's you, know if that one linebacker that's playing in all packages including dime is really really important to your.
Speaker 2: Defense SO i agree with you.
Speaker 3: There and THEN i Had junior at eighteen of my rankings BECAUSE i think if this defense gets to the level that they wanted to get, to it's going to be dayon and it's going to Be junior and those guys are going to be the. Starters and you Have denzel as as in troidae as. Depth BUT, i you, KNOW i go back TO i feel like we're watching that practice together money during training, camp or he got into eleven on eleven for the time and they were doing the nine on seven run and he just blew up a play in the backfield AND i was and we.
Speaker 2: Looked at each other and we're like, yep, yeah all, Right and.
Speaker 3: Like my opinion hasn't, changed like just because he had a couple of injuries and like his rickitis through training, camp right and then the ankle injury during the. Season but like every TIME i think, About, okay What's Junior colson going to, BE i think about that one play from training, camp And i'm, Like.
Speaker 2: Okay that's what that's what he can.
Speaker 1: Be and And i'm not saying He's Patrick. Willis WHAT i am saying is when you were on a football field standing Watching Patrick, Willis you're, like look at that freaking. Guy, yeah That's. Colson. Man when you're standing there and you see that lower, Half you're, like my, god and he's moving like, That like that's the sort of Physical AND i think it's, interesting you know that that for all of the attention that those d lines get In San, francisco it's hard to Ignore Drake Green lawn And Fred, warner you, Know Patrick, Willison Navarro, Bowman like how important that level of the defense, is you, know and was and and sort of got overlooked because all these teams started spreading it out and running eleven and you had to get speed out. There and now just feels like it's it's swinging back and you're gonna have to have you, know two linebackers out, there and who know who, knows maybe three in the next couple of. Years it's going to get back to.
Speaker 2: That back to the base, Defenses, vagas that's real.
Speaker 1: Football, exactly back to some base defense with how these teams are running it. Now BUT i do think that THAT'S i love seeing both of those guys in there BECAUSE i do think that you, Know ashton genty on the on The raiders and with the you, know the older That mahomes gets and just sort of you, know running games are going to become more and more, PREVALENT i, think and having those linebackers going to go a long.
Speaker 3: Way, yeah it's a cycloker nation, click circular, nation circular, nation Cyclical i'm.
Speaker 2: Trying i'm combining circular and.
Speaker 3: Circular, yeah, cyclic the circular nature of like offensive foot OR i guess like schematics in general in THE.
Speaker 2: Nfl but you know what's really interesting is the.
Speaker 3: Parallels Between dayon's career and Potentially Junior coulson's. Career Right deayon came, in you, know pulled his hamstring in that preseason, game was out had a tough time cracking the lineup after that with. Injuries he comes out in year two and obviously has a breakout. Season Junior, coulson you, know misses time and OTAs with an injury appendck to, me you, know ir with an ankle.
Speaker 2: Injury you know when he.
Speaker 3: Was on the, field had a tough time really sort of you, know transitioning and acclimating to the speed of THE nfl. Game now he heads into year two after a rookie season that was kind of. Derailed does he follow the same path As. DAYAN i think there's reason to believe that that's like a potential.
Speaker 2: Outcome.
Speaker 1: YEAH i don't see any reason why. Not you, KNOW i felt like he was in the conversation as the best linebacker on the draft last. Year he was the arguably the most important player on a national championship. Team and it never. Fails it was, like, oh, gosh Justin Justin, Jackson, right a guy that never missed a freaking play in his college career gets to THE nfl and is just perennially injured and hopefully that is obviously not the. Kid those two things could be. Related, yeah, yeah very. True, yeah you're out there for a lot of. Snaps you take a lot of hits and next thing you, know, it's, uh it's. Over did we miss anything anything? Else that is just kind OF i, know it's going to be a lot of. Easier only get Into OTA's and you, know stuff's going to get a little bit more clear and we'll have a little bit more to talk about.
Speaker 2: AFTER i, see if you talk about the, quarterback what do you want to say? Where so here's WHERE i. WROTE i obviously he number.
Speaker 1: Number, one Guy mac was your number, TWO i remember. That, yeah three Was.
Speaker 2: Durwin, yeah and then But Kai backton was number five by the.
Speaker 1: Way, yeah you Had hampton in the top ten IF i remember right. TOO i think he was. Twelve he was, Twelve, Okay.
Speaker 3: YEAH i had him like fringe top. Ten Oh, lad that's, Right lad was In lad was Fo yeah.
Speaker 2: Obviously.
Speaker 3: YEAH i, mean So ladd is, like what is he going to be able to do when he actually has other pieces around?
Speaker 1: Him?
Speaker 2: Right, like what are we talking about?
Speaker 1: Here he like not terrified that he's gonna get blown to shreds because he's taken so many freaking targets and hits every game.
Speaker 3: EXACTLY i mean he had hit one hundred and ninety seven yards in That texans game and he's getting triple. Covered, yeah you, know it's like it's it's easy to let your imagination run wild there as far as what what sort of he can. Be but, YEAH i mean with here's WHAT i wrote With, justin like they got to get back to the. Playoffs but like the only talking point Around Justin herbert is going to Be kenny won a playoff. Game until he wins a playoff, Game like that's that's become what it. Is some of it is fair and some of it's. NOT i think the way that they lost the two playoff games that he played, in you, know especially In houston where he played like WHAT i think was you, know the worst game of his. Career but that's sort of. It the big point THAT i came back, to, though was like stay, Healthy like that's got to be priority number. One that's the most important, Thing like be out there for all of training camp and and you, know avoid some of these. Hits carolina game that's a perfect, example, right like that ball out exactly. Exactly SO i think he has to get to a point where he realizes that his availability and being something close to one hundred percent over the course of a season is like the most important, thing you, know BECAUSE i think that you, know it has a cascading. Effect you, know when the starting quarterback with a new regime and a new offense and all these new, pieces misses three weeks of training camp and then by week two is you, know toughing it out with his high ankle. Sprain that affected everything about the. Offense it affected what they were able to, Run it affected the, chemistry it affected the, performance all of. It so that's the key thing for, me be on the field all of training, camp avoid some of these injuries that seem a little bit, avoidable and see if you can get this thing to coalestion a way that it didn't really last.
Speaker 1: Season, Yeah AND i think to, me part of that is AND i know some people might think it's, counterintuitive but it's. NOT i, mean the data bear out that, run get out, there get, this get defenses on their heels a little bit more so they're not teeing off on you on what was a little bit of a soft interior of the offensive. Line you, know take off and have, them you, know plant seeds of doubt in their, brains so they don't have their ears pinned back and they're constantly just firing off the line of. Scrimmage and, look a lot of that is that high ankle sprain and health and not being able to run as much as you. Want but we know how good he is at, it and you, know when you're calling a game from the seventh, level it's easier to see it for us than maybe it is for. Him but how many of those mesh points where we're, like, oh just if you just keep, it, man it's right, there there's fifteen twenty yards waiting for you and you're not gonna get. Touched you, know there's five seven yards you're not gonna get. Touched AND i feel, like especially with zero rushing attempts in the wild card, game it's, like that's that's got to become a to, me a much bigger part Even and it's, this we say the same, thing just sprinkle it. In it's not the identity of the, offense but it's it's a, weapon and it's a weapon that defenses have to prepare. For but you've got to do it exactly a couple you, know you got to do. It you got to be good at it a few times a, game and that's all it, is.
Speaker 3: Exactly it's not necessarily the. Production it's the. Threat that's what's. Important, Yeah but, slide.
Speaker 1: Yes, slide get out of, bounds don't take on linebackers, yet get.
Speaker 2: Down we know you're capable of doing. It you don't need to see it. Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah and that's and and that's the other thing, too is like when you're running a mesh With amari And hampton and and he's you, know in this run game is now working and everyone's biting on. That my, gosh the opportunities they're going to be there compared to years past and what the running game. Was if this running game can be what it, is that's we had a question on one of them AND i was, like, oh what Can justin do? Better AND i, said, look we're nitpick and It's Justin. Herbert he's incredible at. EVERYTHING i. Said but if it's one, thing, YEAH i think you just got to keep that ball a little bit more on those on those option plays and and take off because it's. There and if it's, THERE i assume you're seeing it in, film you, know later in the, week and it's like, dude just take a few of. Those AND i think that that Helps Greg roman out a. Lot and that's the other thing With, roman for all the incoming he, Took like just think about what he did With Will disley and what he's done in his career with these tight. Ends and now you bring In, conklin WHO i know Isn't George kittle Or Sam, laporta but he's a good receiving tight end with really good, hands and he's a really good red zone. Target and now you bring in an athlete Like Arondez gadsden and, Like, okay now you feel like with these big, Backs greg's got some things he can cook with And i'm anxious to see what he's able to do with. It.
Speaker 3: Yeah, YEAH i imagine we're going to see a much more explosive, offense you, know both in the run game and obviously the pass. Game you, know they just what they what they were. Missing last year in the passing game was, like, okay nothing's. Open you, know they got caught with a you, know man beater against his Own, look, okay what happens?
Speaker 2: Now where can justin go with the football and.
Speaker 3: He needs that, option just let him chuck it down the, sideline you, know one on one to somebody that can go make a, play, right and they just like didn't have that guy last. Year, obviously they bring back the guy that's done it for The chargers better than anybody In Mike. Williams but Like Trey harris is that type of, Guy, like give him an option when everything sort of breaks down to use his arm, talent throw it downfield and maybe you're able to make some fifty to fifty plays that they weren't able to make last.
Speaker 1: Year. YEAH i just you, know you think about The houston game and you, know he chucks that ball down To quinton and you could see at the second that left his, Hand you're, like this is this is? Terrible like this is you, know this is this is not. IT i don't The quinton was not even turned around. Yet he was just kind of running straight like you, know THE dB is already reading. IT i think it was lasted or IF i remember, right and it was just like this is now what are we? Doing? Yeah and so you get a guy Like mike And Trey harris that we've, seen you, know it was supposed to BE Dj shark last, year and it just, wasn't and so it's, Yeah and that's the thing With mike. Two he's you, know now you're now you're two years removed from an. Injury that for a guy that, size that needs that explosiveness to be what he, is that's two years. REMOVED i think that's gonna go a long. Way then one year removed from a guy that's in his whatever it was seventh, day ninth. Season so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, also you're going from a quarterback who says you have to be on the red line to make the catch versus a quarterback And Justin herbert who's like doing What mike, asks which is.
Speaker 2: Just throw it up. There. Bro, yeah like throw it up.
Speaker 3: There And justin is not afraid to do that To Mike, williams and no chemistry is already built, In like it's the proof of concept is. There you don't have to imagine. It just, go you, know pull up Some Mike williams highlights and you'll see.
Speaker 1: It AND i would say to that, gentleman if he's not out of the red, line just throw it to the red line then instead of four yards behind, him because you didn't throw it to the red line, Either so, whatever, whatever you were looking for and whatever you were, doing it just did not. Compute all. RIGHT i think that's, uh it's probably. Good appreciate, it, dude that.
Speaker 2: Was, fine, Absolutely thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me give it to me. Again Subtect hops.
Speaker 2: And pop dot substack dot. Com you can go sign up for free with your, email get access to all of the live.
Speaker 3: Streams all the recaps are on, there and then you can listen To hops Of pop On, Spotify, apple wherever you get your podcast to Search hops And pop.
Speaker 2: And it'll be.
Speaker 3: There we're doing a stream, tonight so they'll be a new episode out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Morning, yeah right, On, yeah do that and then subscribe To The. Athletic it's great. Stuff always appreciate, it, man you're the.
Speaker 2: Best appreciate. It thanks for having me, money all.
Speaker 1: Right we'll be back next week OTAs and likely another. COORDINATOR i think we're chasing down Either Greg roman Or Ryan ficken since we already got Coach minter out of the, way so we get one of those two next, Week so be sure to keep an eye out Next thursday Slash, friday depending on how you're consuming. This appreciate y'all like rate review out of. Comment we always try to engage with those on YouTube as. Well thanks again To Daniel popper and thanks for Watching charge a weekly