Speaker 1: It's sponsorship time. But you know what, it's really great when you get a sponsor that you already use.
Speaker 2: And guess what.
Speaker 1: Quint's is something that in the Todd household we already go to. Why do we go to Quint's Because it's a place you go where you can get some really nice clothes without the really expensive prices. And one of the things I've been going through is I've transitioned from being mister cot and ty guy to wanting a little more casual but to look nice doing it. Is I've become mister quarter zip guy.
Speaker 2: Well guess what.
Speaker 1: Guess he's got amazing amounts of quarter zips. It is Quints. I have gotten quite a few already from there. The stuff's really nice. They have Mongolian cashmere sweaters for fifty dollars. I just know, hey, cashmere, that's pretty good. You don't normally get that for fifty bucks or less. Italian wool coats that look and feel like designer the stuff. I'll be honest, right, you look at it online, you think, okay, is this really as nice as it looks? Well, when I got it, I was like, oh, this is real quality. So yeah, I'm going to end up making sure I take it to my dry cleaner so I don't screw it up when I clean it. But I've been quite impressed. In Hey, it's holiday season. It is impossible to shop for us middle aged men. I know this well. Tell your kids, tell your spouses, tell your partners. Try Quints. Or if you're trying to figure out what to get your adult child, what to get your mom or dad, I'm telling you you're gonna find something that is going to be comfortable for them on Quints. So get your wardrobe sorted and your gift list handled with quints. Don't wait, go to quins dot com slash chuck for free shipping on your order and three hundred and sixty five day returns now available in Canada as well. That's qui nce dot com, slash chuck, free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns quints dot com slash chuck.
Speaker 2: Use that code.
Speaker 1: Hello there, Happy Wednesday, and welcome to another episode of the Chuck Podcast. So got another loaded show today. The guest is a gentleman named Jeff Clements. He's part of an organization called American Promise. They are an organization that is campaigning a state by state to get I think they're up to twenty three state legislatures right now to approve a constitutional amendment that would allow for regulation of the financing of campaigns. Essentially thanks to Citizens United and thanks to the belief in our judiciary system that money is speech that without a constitutional amendment, there really is no law that will successfully sort of get through the courts and pass muster in order to limit the influence of money. I think the debate about the First Amendment is I think we are having a debate about amplification of your right to free speech. I think we all agree everybody's a right to free speech.
Speaker 2: The question is.
Speaker 1: Who's got the right to amplify who should have access to amplification? How does that work? If you will, And it's pretty simple. Well, we go through it quite a bit. As you know. I've one of if I have a pattern of guests that I will that I will default to. It is those that are looking to improve the infrastructure of the democracy. I've had a conversation about open primaries and how do we get rid of partisan primaries. In this case, I think there is agreement that we've gotten sort of you know, we don't know how to do anything anymore in moderation, right, we take a little thing and we go to an extreme, right. I mean we do this in society all the time. We should pay players in college sports, yes, but the system we created creates all sorts of essentially absurdities in the market. Should sports betting be open to all fifty states instead of the state of Nevada? I think we thought, okay, that's fair. How we've allowed this system to populate and sort of consume the lives of some people is kind of out of control, right, every we go from we have a system that seems to only know how to regulate when we let things go to excess, right, We don't seem to know how to do it that way. So in this case, I think we all know now money and politics has gotten crazy. Just to give you a sense of it. In twenty twelve, I had this idea at NBC to audit the two presidential campaigns after the fact, Obama and Romney. And my thesis was, this was the first time that both campaigns each spent a billion dollars. It's the first billion dollar campaign. Obama had a billion, Romney had kind of just under a billion, but if you throw in all the outside money, it was Basically it was the first time we had a billion. To put that in perspective. In two thousand, both Al Gore and George W. Bush were within state, within the system, which meant it was publicly funded general election campaigns. Bush did not take public funding during his primary campaign, but he did during his general election campaign. Basically, it limited both sides to sixty five million dollars, so we more than ten x from the general election in twenty to twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Well where are we today?
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty five, North Carolina is likely to be the first billion dollar Senate race. So in twenty twelve we had a billion. We had one campaign spending a billion dollars, so it combined two billion dollars. And now we're gonna have one singular US Senate race. They might not even decide the balance of power in the United States Senate. Okay, cost a billion dollars. So we have gotten to absurd degrees of money. And I think everybody's fine with small donors populating these things. You're not going to see many people say that that's a bad idea. It's the large donations. It's the anonymity of the large donations, etc. It is the idea that an outside group can essentially spend more than the two actual campaigns combined, and they can decide what the agenda is, not the actual voter powered campaign. So, you know, we have created a system that is definitely in need of some sort of regulation. Congress is actually tried, but the courts have said they're all unconstitutional. So if that's the case, then there really is only one answer on the on campaign finance, and it is that is that's why if you believe in term limits, well those have all been struck down as unconstitutional. It was a big movement in the nineties. A bunch of states past term limits for members of Congress. None of them pass constitutional muster because once you put in age required, you know, it's sort of that was the only there was. The only requirement was age in the constitution, and so they were not considered constitutional. If you want term limits in, you're going to have to put a constitutional amendment in. We have one constitutional amendment that has to do with term limits. It's term limits for the presidency. So there are certain things where the judiciary decided to overrule the legislative branch. And when it turns when it comes to campaign finance laws, the judiciary has written the legislation. They are legislating from the bench. There is nobody that passed a law wanting super PACs. There is nobody that passed the law that wanted unlimited money in politics. Those laws did not pass, they were interpreted after legal rulings. And so I think the case to put in to put this in and it's interesting and you'll hear I don't think this is you know, this gets you know, we get to the you know where each party on this. But there's an argument for both conservatives and progressives that you want to you want to you want a fair fight, and the way we finance our campaigns makes it where there is no such thing as a as a fair fight. So that's the conversation. I kind of think we're we're, uh, we're on the cusp, as I've said before, where we're going to get more and more interest in doing this with our constitution. Can we get thirty eight states interested? Can you get Congress to pass a law anyway? We go through all the mechanics of this as well as the larger idea with Jeff. I think it's for those of you concerned about that issue, I think you will enjoy that conversation. I'm also going to have my top five list, and for those of you looking for a holiday guide. In some ways, my Top five list will serve a bit as a holiday guide buying guide for the for the person who wants to feel extraordinarily well informed about the zeitgeist of the world and of America. I hope my Top five list will do that for you. But before we begin, I want to pick up on something that I did it, you know, which is, you know, we're in one of those moments where we're trying to figure out does this latest outrage mean anything, And of course the outrage being you know, Donald Trump's just horrendous comments about Rob Reiner and his wife and the death and the murder of Rob Reiner and his wife. And you know, in some ways it's not a new debate, right Donald Trump has put us in this position before. Donald Trump has embarrassed us collectively as a country, collectively, as a society, collectively as a human species. Right he just this is what he does. And I know that we've been at these moments before or where he says something so outrageous, Well this, you know, nobody can survive this, well, nobody other than Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He seems to be teflon don on just about everything, but the reaction on this one he has been fascinating because it seemed as if it was a bridge too far for a lot of people. And what he did, especially so soon after the Charlie Kirk assassination, so soon after, so many on the right targeted anybody who said anything remotely negative about Charlie Kirk, you know, in some cases, got him doxed, got him fired, cost them jobs, And then all of a sudden, we have behavior modeled by the President of the United States that if anybody else behaved this way in the workplace, they'd be fired. Of course, he's done this multiple times, right, this is not the first time he's done something that if any of us did it, it would cost us our marriage, it would cost us relationships, it would cost us our jobs, it would cost us our cost us our you know, whatever, our whatever place we feel like we are in society, you know, we might be shunned, we might be ostracized, and frankly, in some of the behavior you know that is that is it's sometimes the only the only thing we have. You'd be shamed, right, We know that the real superpower of Donald Trump is shamelessness. It's fascinating to see on the heels of this story because I'll tell you what, really what I couldn't shake with the with the Reiner story with Trump. As appalling as the first tweet was, it was the second it was the second time he dealt with it when he when he sort of reinforced the tweet on camera. Because I actually think that this space signal a larger, more alarming issue that if we take seriously people's concerns about Joe Biden and his loan term, then we need to start taking seriously about whether he's all there and how quickly you know you're going to it's going to sound like I'm trolling him, but you know, at what point is his behavior twenty fifth Amendment alarming type of behavior? Because think about it this way, there's probably two things that may have happened in between Donald Trump tweeting what he did on social on his truth social platform and reiterating what he said on camera about Rob Reiner. One would two things happened or didn't happen, right, Either somebody said to him, perhaps it was the chief of staff, Suzie Wiles. We're going to get to her in a minute, but perhaps it was said, hey, you know at the Reiner stuffs, they'd be careful that didn't you know, I don't know what you intended to say.
Speaker 2: It didn't play well.
Speaker 1: Why don't you you know, express just straight up condolences and sort of, you know, move on, or nobody said anything.
Speaker 2: Either.
Speaker 1: Either potential outcome is alarming to me. Why is it alarming because either he was told don't do it again, and he did it anyway, and he is that sort of stubborn that caught up in his own filter bubble, that delusional, right, or nobody has the guts to tell him, hey, this is not good. Don't do it, don't talk about it.
Speaker 2: Don't say it.
Speaker 1: That's so either way, you have to ask yourself, oh my god, what's going on here? And for me, it is a different Donald Trump, you know, I know. So with Joe Biden, when you know, as folks started making the case asking questions about whether Biden was the same Biden, you would show Biden clips doing interviews in twenty fifteen, twenty fourteen, even twenty sixteen, and you would see, my god, that's not even the same Joe Biden as twenty nineteen. That's it was my impression. I spent a lot of time at Joe Biden in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty before the pandemic, and I thought he had definitely slowed down. It was the same Joe Biden, but an older version, and he definitely seemed to lack the same energy he once had. He wasn't the glad hander. He was certainly a talker, but he wasn't as fast as a.
Speaker 2: Talker, you know.
Speaker 1: There was definitely And then the difference between Joe Biden circa twenty nineteen and circa twenty twenty three was even more so. But the real contrast was between the Joe Biden that I covered in the Obama era and the Joe Biden that I was covering for the one term of his presidency.
Speaker 2: It was a big difference.
Speaker 1: So in some way the questions were natural, Hey, he's definitely getting older, you know, the younger Joe Biden would be traveling the country. Why isn't older Joe Biden traveling? And it was you know, they never wanted to say it was because he can't, or because he gets tired, or because they don't you know, it was always some other excuse and things like that. It was definitely some form of a you know, you can call it a cover up, but it was definitely, you know, it was definitely some form of rationalization for why there is they were. They were certainly concerned and sensitive to the age issue, sensitive to the idea that he wasn't and they were kind of always trying to push back on this idea that he wasn't up to the child, up to the job, or as energetic as he once was. With Donald Trump, it's admittedly a little bit harder, right because you know, Donald Trump has had erratic behavior for years. Right, this is not new his erratic behavior. And so as the title of my substack goes, how will we know? Right, we had a clear idea that something had changed about Joe Biden because his speech text had changed. His energy levels were clearly different. He was you know, more spry, he was walking, he was younger, you know, all those things. There were physical changes that you couldn't ignore and the public side, right some eight you know, that's why the numbers were consistently in the seventies and eighties, you know, which is why I've just sort of, you know, the false narrative that somehow the media was covering this up? What is there to cover up? Media was the one asking pole questions. Do I think there were some within the White House Press score that could have been more aggressive? Absolutely? But I kind of think, you know, we you know, it's not like the media didn't show the footage. It's not like the media didn't let you know he was taking the short staircase. It's not like the med you know, media didn't show you him shuffling around and tripping over sandbags, things.
Speaker 2: Like that with trumpets. Admittedly a little harder.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, when you see him behave erratically, you know, but this was a moment with the Reiner thing where ten years ago, you know, Donald Trump is no more or less narcissistic today than he was ten years ago. But ten years ago he was still sensitive to what the public thought of him, and he didn't quite live in his own bubble is filtered bubble that is more so today than he's ever had before. He's got surrounded by yes people and sycophans, who don't want I don't think want to present him with the with reality if reality the only show him reality when reality looks good for him. They don't show him reality when it paints an ugly picture for him. And so he definitely seems more detached from reality today than he did when he first entered the political arena. But you know, the Donald Trump of ten years ago, when a celebrity died, his narcissism would put him, would sort of link him up. He would say, you know I was in his movies, or you know I was able. You know, he's most and in this case with Michelle Reiner who took the photo, who was the photographer for the Art of the Deal photo that Donald Trump posed for back in the eighties, you know, the old Donald Trump, the guy who was you know, just as shameless, but in that sort of I've got something to sell you shamelessness would have said, boy, her career would have been nothing without me, Her career wouldn't have happened without me. They in some ways that would have been the normal. Oh boy, there he goes, putting, making everything about himself, which he always does, but sort of within his own weird semi positively, it would at least try to say, hey, they were successful, but he would try to take credit for their success. This time, he's in this really ugly place right where he just assumes, you know, because by the way, imagine like, you know, he because there's another alternative here that he said that because he feared one of his supporters did this, which in itself is such a warped version of thinking. Right, can you imagine that he actually said it because that's what he thought was going to be the case, That in itself is troubling behavior. But you know, he's an eighty year old man, and any of us with older relatives have experienced the older relative with no filter or with less filter who doesn't feel like they have to round the edges of commentary anymore, that they can just well, it doesn't matter, man, Grandpa's got to be grandpa, grandma's got to be grandma, uncle's got to be uncle. Ann's going to etcetera, etcetera. But he's president of the United States, and we don't know when he blurts one of these bizarre things that he says in front of a world leader that actually changes the nature of our relationship with said country. These are things that should concern us and if you were is you know, do we have and given what we just learned with the Vanity Fair story that you know, it's funny with the Vanity Fair story, it sort of confirms everything that I'd been hearing about the role Susie Wilds plays that she is try She is the sort of the reality you know, she's the reality check. But she's got a light touch, right, She's kind of a she sees things the way most normal people see things. But she's gonna let the process play out and just clean up the worst messes, you know, just try to try to steer a choppy shift a ship through choppy waters. And you know, they've sort of given up on the small stuff, and I think they would put mean tweets under the category of small stuff. Having good life insurance is incredibly important. I know from personal experience. I was sixteen when my father passed away. We didn't have any money. He didn't leave us in the best shape. My mother, single mother, now widow, myself sixteen trying to figure out how am I going to pay for college? And lo and behold, my dad had one life insurance policy that we found wasn't a lot, but it was important at the time, and it's why I was able to go to college. Little did he know how important that would be in that moment. Well, guess what. That's why I am here to tell you about Etho's life. They can provide you with peace of mind knowing your family is protected even if the worst comes to pass. Ethos is an online platform that makes getting life insurance fast and easy, all designed to protect your family's future in minutes, not months. There's no complicated process, and it's one hundred percent online. There's no medical exam require you just answer a few health questions online. You can get a quote in as little as ten minutes, and you can get same day coverage without ever leaving your home. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage, and some policies start as low as two dollars a day that would be billed monthly. As of March twenty twenty five, Business Insider named Ethos the number one no medical exam instant life insurance provider. So protect your family with life insurance from Ethos. Get your free quote at ethos dot com slash chuck so again, that's Ethos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary, and the rates themselves may vary as well, but trust me, life insurance is something you should really think about it, especially if you've got a growing family. To me, it's an alarming moment where you have to start the question is he all there all the time? Is he so consumed with himself? The fact that he can't concentrate all the time? I bet the fact that in the Wall Street Journal interview, he's doing an interview and then he takes a call, and then the Interior Secretary, Doug Bergram, wants to talk with him about remodeling the DC golf courses, and you're what what And you're in the middle of doing this interview. I mean, I appreciate that the journal people told us about that. I mean, I think it's a terrible look politically that he cares more about redesigning Washington, DC's three public golf courses than he does about lowering the price of electricity or lowering the price of groceries, right, like you could those TV ads right themselves. But that's also another sign of of sort of you know, where you can't keep concentration, you can't keep focus that you're sort of that you're erratic. Now again, he's kind of been this way all the time, So it is going to be harder. While it was easier us for us to see sort of the the you know, we could just see boy Biden used to be this, Now he's this. That evolution of Trump is harder to fully appreciate because he's kind of always been kind of outrageous, He'll always say, but it was sort of it felt like it was planned outrage in twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen. This feels a lot more sort of unfiltered, unpasteurized, if you will, on this front. But my point is is that for all of those folks on the right that we're concerned about whether or not the staff was running things, whether it's about Joe Biden's faculties were all there, I would argue the behavior we've seen of this president, particularly over the last few months, given his age, given how quickly this stuff happens. I mean, look, we are not getting a straight story about his current health. You don't go through as many he's had I think three annual physicals this year. You get my point, right, That's what they keep calling him, he keeps going back. They keep calling a routine you know, you know, it's not routine going back to the doctor more than once a year. I mean, something out of the ordinary that they're concerned about the fact that, you know, he seemed to tell us that the last time he took a one of these cognitive tests, there was an audience. That's interesting. Why was there an audience? Why were there so many people observing this? What was the concern? Were there more experts that were brought in? It is, there is something different, and there is more You can feel the sort of concern about I don't know, you know, I'm not going you know, there's fear of ever contradicting him. There's fear of pushing back at him. There's fear of telling him news he doesn't want to hear. These were all concerned that people had on the right, in particular with Joe Biden in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four. So again, if you're looking to to find out who's high on the hypocrisy scale of concern, you know, watch the people that express the most concern about Joe Biden's faculties. See pretty much everybody in primetime on Fox News and ask them if this behavior were at all being you know, if this were Biden a second term of Biden behaving this way, I wonder what the coverage would be on primetime of Fox right. But in all, you know, snark aside, this unfiltered behavior is alarming for either one of two things. One, he was told this is not good and he still can't help himself, which means he's got a self control issue. He's got a staff so afraid of telling him bad news that they won't do it, and therefore he was why he ended up doubling down on this in the first place. Whatever the answer is, neither is good for the country. Neither is good, by the way, for the Republican Party. And I'll ask you know, if JD. Van's and Marco Rubio right, they're going to have to they want to succeed this presidency, one of them does. Look at how unhappy the voters are with the Democratic Party, even though they're voting for Democrats right now. Right, we saw this in Virginia, majority had an unfavorable view of the party. Well, what's driven that? What what's driven that? Was this idea that they all had their head in the sand when it came to Biden in twenty twenty four. And there's a lot of resentment among Democrats for how Democratic leaders look the other way when there was an obvious, slow motion train wreck taking place with the vot voters were concerned about long before there was a debate between Trump and Biden on June twenty seventh, twenty twenty four. The voters have been pretty angry about it. You know, I think if you want to know why there's such limited trust in Chuck Schumer by fellow Democrats and Akeem Jeffries, it's the entire Democratic leaders in Washington are just seen as somehow they were in kahoots and they had their head in the sand when it came to the Biden thing. Well, these same voters are going to have the same reaction if it appears that Trump progressively gets worse, his behavior gets more erratic, you have sort of more you know, enablers not wanting to either say something, and you know we're finding out today. Look the few sober quotes that Susie Wiles did give a reporter and this case a biographer and Chris Whipple. She didn't like what it looked like once they went public, and there's a fear that the president can't handle any sort of criticism or analytical criticism, or even just sort of acknowledging when there are tough moments or when there are awkward things that happen in the administration, which only serves to concern me that when you really need somebody to step in, are they going to be willing to do it? Are they going to be willing to say, hey, man, the emperor has no clothes here. We have got to acknowledge this. We cannot continue to pretend this isn't happening. I think it's a legitimate concern, and I think in some ways the president's own behavior, the odd things he has said about his own health, and then the erratic nature of what he did with Reiner and some other folks. I think this is a storyline that's only going to grow. And you know, he's not getting younger, This is not going to get better. This is only going to become more obvious. Look, we don't see him travel the country, and I think there's a reason for it. Right, just like with Joe Biden, you got to ask yourself, boy, Normally in a president in this situation would be traveling the country to try to sell his agenda and he's not doing it.
Speaker 2: Why is that right?
Speaker 1: That is what began the conversation for folks who were concerned about whether Biden was up to the job. Certainly not up for a second term. He couldn't do the job to self to sell his agenda in the first term. Well, I think we've entered that same situation. And again, if you were truly concerned about Biden because of his physical ailments and not due to your own politics, then you should be equally alarmed by the currents situation with our current president and the situation that he's in. Now. All right, before I go to my interview, I want to share with you a poll that came to me via the search Light Institute. Now, if you recall that may seem familiar to some of you listeners out there, I had interviewed the founder of search Light Institute, which is search Light is the hometown search Light, Nevada is the hometown of Harry Reid. Adam Gentilssen, of former Harry Reid staffer, started this up and it's basically an attempt to try to move the Democratic Party in a more pragmatic direction. I wouldn't even say ideologically moderate, just more of a mainstream sort of try to make the party more big ten again between progressive in the center a little bit and so. But they did a poll on corruption, and why I find it interesting, it's sort of it was sort of the question is what is corrupt? What do the voters think is corrupt versus sort of what the definition perhaps we in the media have, you know, you know, when I say think of the word corrupt, I think of like, who's ripping off taxpayers? Right? But what's interesting is what the voters themselves view as corrupt. And they asked a terrific question, and the question was this, if you describe a politician as corrupt, what are you saying about them? And then they offer, please select one that comes closest to your view, and the number one answer was not somebody that was stealing taxpayer dollars. It was using public office for personal financial gain.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That could mean insider trading on stocks. That could mean finding out that you're buying a piece of property that's about to be zone for a government funded highway or something like this, that somehow your net worth grows that your own relatives get to start a lobbying business and use your last name to get on a board, say with a company in Ukraine, or they use your last name to start a meme coin and you make money off of the crypto market. Jeez, I don't know what two families might might have qualified for that, but that was the number one definition of corrupt. The number two most popular definition of corrupt politician was this they change rules to hold onto power instead of improving lives. Well, basically that's re redistricting. They simply want to pick voters, pick voters that they don't have to persuade. They pick more voters that are already on their side, so they don't have to do the hard work of representative democracy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That was the second most popular. The third most popular definition was they only serve wealthy donors instead of regular people. Well, I just told you about we're going to have our first billion dollar center rights. Do you think that ten dollars donor to a Senate race as much as one hundred million dollar or even the one the ten million dollar donor I've had. I've had donor sources of mine who only give six figure donations okay, which for just about all of us, writing a check for one hundred thousand dollars or more is a lot of money. Okay, you know, that's purchasing a home type of money that you write that to send your kid to college type of money. And they're considered they're not considered big donors anymore. They're just considered middle class donors.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You know, a lawmaker will spend a lot more time persuading that finding a ten one ten million dollar donor then they will looking for one thousand, one hundred thousand dollar donors because that's you know, it's the law of efficiency.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The fourth most popular is they let corporate influence overwhelm the influence of voters. Arguably that's arguably the big donors. And then in the single digits you have they trade favors with lobbyists or special interests. They cater only to the extremes that don't look out for everyone. What's interesting is that none of the definitions were they steal money.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So the point is is that what the word you know, and I it is what the voters think is corrupt is fascinating, and I think that it is in some ways. It is sort of like you're you're you're ripping off the democracy, right. And what I appreciate about this about where the donors are the voters are on this. Listen to me, the donors the voters are on this, is that they're a little more sophisticated on what's corrupt. They say that, hey, that that corrupts the democracy, that gets in the way of you representing the average person. And this is a case where the voters are ahead of the politicians, right. The politicians don't speak of corruption this way. Right, they speak of corruption like breaking the law, corruption thinking, because I think they're all afraid that if you define corruption the way the public defines it, which is profiting, you know, having you know, essentially personal financial gain while serving in office, you know, trying to just stay into office, always worrying about raising money, always catering to donors. A lot of politicians, if you said, do you think that's corrupt, like, wow, the system's corrupt, but I'm not, you know, they might blame the system.
Speaker 2: They wish they wouldn't do it that way.
Speaker 1: But the fact that voters think this is anyway just it's interesting and it also tells me that voters are man, the pitchforks are out, the pitchforks are ready, and I don't think.
Speaker 2: I do not think.
Speaker 1: Large corporations and the tech industry is aware of this and is ready for what's coming. And I certainly think leaders in both parties don't fully appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Here's another question that came through that I want to share it.
Speaker 1: How well do you think government serves each of the following groups? Okay, the very wealthy, eighty six percent said they think government serves the very wealthy somewhat or very well, eighty six percent. About businesses, all right, seventy four percent say the government serves it serves businesses somewhat or very well. How about racial and ethnic minorities, Well, guess what, Only thirty six percent believe government serves them well. Fifty seven percent believes they do not serve racial or ethnic minorities very well at all, or not well at all completely or not not well completely all. How about you personally? You personally, that number is thirty is just under forty percent. So this isn't one of those cases where well, I think Congress is, but I like my member of Congress, I don't think Congress looks out for the interest of everybody else, but they also look out for me. Nope, you know they most people think they they're served slightly better in government than racial and ethnic minorities, but not too well. And then when you throw out ordinary people, that number is.
Speaker 2: That means.
Speaker 1: Three and four voters believe ordinary people are not served well at all in some form or another by government.
Speaker 2: What it tells you is that there's a.
Speaker 1: There's an appetite out there for government reform, for democracy reform. You just have to frame it in a way that just say, hey, do you want government to serve you better? This is why it doesn't serve you well. The system is rigged against you, which I think the folks believe the system is rigged against them. They just have yet to find a politician that has sold them a struck sure that makes sense and that they believe will work.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That I think is the missing piece here, right. Bertie Sanders and a Donald Trump have convinced seventy percent of America that the system's rigged against them. Okay, that's that's the beginning. What there is an agreement on is whether government itself is redeemable to do it, and whether it's you're going to need a singular individual.
Speaker 2: That's what Donald Trump believes that.
Speaker 1: You can't the system can't be trusted to do it, versus Bertie Sanders, who said, well, you got topend the entire system, but then the system can be can be can be trusted on this. Here's one more question to share with you, just to show you.
Speaker 2: The definition of how.
Speaker 1: Much corruption do you think there is in the Trump administration? Well, among independents, forty percent said there's a great deal and another twelve percent said there's a moderate amount. So fifty two percent said there's at least a great deal or a moderate amount of coruption in the Trump administration. And if you throw in the nine percent that say a small amount, right, so there's only thirty nine percent says that there's no corruption at all in the Trump administration. All right, but guess what how much corruption do you think there was in the Biden administration? Well, twenty eight percent said there was a great deal, another thirteen percent said there was a moderate amount, another twelve percent said there was a small amount, Which means you had a majority that believed there was some corruption. You only had forty seven percent. So you have thirty nine percent believe there's no corruption in Trump administration, and you have forty seven percent believing there's no corruption. This is just among independents, but a majority of independents believe there's some form of corruption in the Biden administration. A majority of independents say there's some form of corruption in the Trump administration. Look, the point they're trying to say. I think the point that Searchlight is trying to say is we look framing. Framing reform issues through the lens of corruption might get people's attention better. Right, if you talk about the financing of campaigns through a through the prism of corruption. If you talk about the lack of regulation of big tech through the prism of corruption, if you talk about entrenched power in term limits through the prism of corruption, you're more likely to get an audience to listen to you, and most importantly, you're going to be able to talk to the voters who are the most skeptical of the two parties right now, those that are self described independence are no parties. So anyway, in this moment that we're living in, right, we're basically, you know, we've got back to back presidencies where we're not quite sure that the actual president you know, is up to the job, you know, has the temperament of the faculties to do the job the way it needs to be done. You also then have a growing coalition of voters that are believing the system itself is rotting. And this is this Look.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's about.
Speaker 1: Affordability at home, and in order to speak to a certain segment of voters, you're going to have to make it about that. But connecting the struggle to affordability through corruption is potentially a potent force. And I will just tell you this. Anytime we've had big changes in election, big midterm waves, there's always been an element of corruption that has helped fuel it. You know, in nineteen ninety four, we had members of Congress. We were just two years removed from a check where members of Congress could bounce checks without having a bank account. It was just weird system where only Congress could write checks for money that they didn't have.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 1: And if you want to know more about it, you know, I'll go back on my time machine in a couple months we'll talk about it. But but go take a look in two thousand and six, there was sort of the corruption of Jack Abramoff and Tom Delay was that arguably in twenty ten and in twenty fourteen, Republicans were using more of sort of the fear of sort of the growth of government. It was less so less so corruption fueling that one. But when you see for the most our corruption usually plays role, especially when you see a total flip. Right ninety four, both the House that Republicans went, both the House and the Senate. There was this, you know, movement for term limits, movement for against entrenched power. You had the check bouncing scandal, et cetera. Two thousand and six also saw both houses flip. In this case it was Republican a Democrat, you know, the addition of the Jack Abramoff stuff and sort of the takeover of K Street.
Speaker 2: You know that had it.
Speaker 1: And I do think that is a potential potent force here if if Democrats figure out how to tap into it in a credible way. Right, It's important It's important to note they think, you know, independence think Trump's corrupt, more corrupt than Biden.
Speaker 2: But they also.
Speaker 1: Majority thought the Biden administration was corrupt too, So it's not the easiest road for Democrats to go down. But it will make sense if you're a new candidate, if you're somebody without the baggage of a previous era, a previous entity, or a previous administration. Do you hate hangovers, We'll say goodbye to hangovers. Out of Office gives you the social buzz without the next day regret. They're best selling. Out of Office gummies were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood, and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe, from a gentle one point five milligram micro dose to their newest fifteen milligram gummy for a more elevated experience. Their THHC beverages and gummies are a modern, mindful alternative to a glass of wine or a cocktail. And I'll tell you this, I've given up booze. I don't like the hangovers. I prefer the gummy experience. Soul is a wellness brand that leave feeling good, should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious hemp derived THHC and CBD products, all designed to boost your mood and simply help you unwind, so if you struggle to switch off at night. Sol also has a variety of products specifically designed to just simply help you get a better night's sleep, including their top selling Sleepy Gummies. It's a fan favorite for deep restorative sleep. So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to sold today. Right now, Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. So go to get sold dot com use the promo code toodcast. Don't forget that code. That's getsold dot Com promo code toodcast for thirty percent off. All right, I got my top five list. It is Wednesday to Top five top estop and I thought i'd give you the opportunity to give you maybe the Chuck Todd Holiday Book buying gift guide, if you will. These are five books that I think are worth reading this year. Doesn't mean they are my five favorite books of the year, but they were five books that I found informative, important.
Speaker 2: Or interesting or a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: So number five on that list is a book that did not come out this year. It actually came out a few years ago, and it's not a book that got a lot of attention. But it is now a book that I would recommend to anybody that works in the world of finance or works in the world of business, that they need to go pick up a copy in the next few weeks and read. And it is called The Drift, and it is by Kevin Hassett. So why do I say you need to write this book read this book? Well, this is a book that got very little attention when it came out. He wrote this book probably assuming he was never going to work in another Trump administration. The book came out just after the twenty twenty election. Kevin Hassett worked in the first trumpet. He's one of the few people that worked in a high profile position in the first Trump administration as an economic advisor and has made it to a second Trump administration. It's basically him. Steven Miller, right, and I guess Russell Voight was was there, but more in a in a lower capacity. But Kevin Hassett very well, maybe the next chair of the Federal Reserve, and so understanding his worldview and much of his worldview, he's sort of The point of The Drift is he basically defends the Trump era, defends his work with Trump and the Trump era. As look, there may be a lot of things not to like about Donald Trump the person, which he's sort of, which he hinsid in this book, but that he was a necessary correction for what was a drift towards socialism that was taking place not just inside the Democratic Party but in various institutions of academy and the media, etc. It is how he frames his book. Regardless of whether you agree with that framing or not, I would argue, if you want to be a well informed person about understanding where's the FED going, what does Hassett believe? How does he interpret Trump's beliefs? How does he defend Trump? Kevin asked somebody who sort of came up in the world of the same world that Alan Greenspan came up through. You know, he was sort of an acolyte at times of green Span. So I think it is It is as illuminating as any ex staffer book is going to be, because what this book wasn't unlike say Pence's book or John Bolton's book. It is it's a total evisceration of Donald Trump. It is more of an observation. You know, there's he takes pride. So it is not an antagonistic book on Trump, but I think it's one of these. I don't think people realized he wrote a book. It didn't get a lot of attention. It's you know, it's it's not the I'm not going to tell you it's the world's greatest read, but I think it's an important read. I know some of you listen to my podcast just for you know, whether you love or hate the direction I take this podcast. You were looking for usable information, Well, I would tell you reading this book will give you plenty of usable information to navigate a FED and a central bank that could be run by Kevin Hassett. And you get to get ahead of the game, get to know the book before senators start asking him questions during his confirmation hearing about the book. All right, so that's number five. Number four is the Mark Twain book by Ron Churnout. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I'll be honest, not as much as I enjoyed his Grant Book. I did enjoy his Grant Book more, but I learned a lot about Mark Twain, and in some ways, Mark Twain is arguably, you know, the closest thing that we had in the nineteenth century to a quote unquote influencer, right, an outsider and outside force who could who could stir the pot of the country and could galvanize the country on certain issues if he so chose. You know, now we have a million Mark Twain's right. You know, would today's Mark. Would Mark Twain himself be on YouTube? He probably would. He certainly would have a Would he have a podcast or would he be more.
Speaker 2: Of a monologue kind of guy?
Speaker 1: Right? Would he interview others or would he just simply opine on a given day?
Speaker 2: But it's a.
Speaker 1: I enjoy sure now because he's what I do. The best part of his books. It isn't just learning more about the individual he's talking about, but he's just does a great job of capturing the era as well. You know, it's the little details, it's that stuff, trying to understand the world that these folks were living in at the time, not just trying to understand the psyche of them in that moment. So but I think that Twain in some ways the quintessential American, a model for so many, so many of us, good, bad or otherwise just a it's a timely it's a timely moment. It's timely, you know it's it's timely. It's a wrong word. No, it's more of a timeless biography, if you will. But I think an important one, and it came out this year, so I definitely think it should be on your gift liss.
Speaker 2: Number three is one that you may not be surprised.
Speaker 1: That I'm pushing again, and it's the right Thompson book called The Barn. I don't know if it technically came out this year or not. I don't think it did. I think it came out last year. But as you know, you know it's this first of all, it's just this is a really just a great book to read. It is if you want to write, what it's like to read somebody who just is just better with words than most people in your life are.
Speaker 2: That's right Thompson.
Speaker 1: And I love I hope you had a chance to listen to the interview with him. Those of you that did, I'm sure you've already bought the book. It is such a compelling read. But the sort of the idea behind the book, right that here was something that happened within twenty five miles of where he grew up right. Emmett Till killed in a barn just within essentially the same neighbor you know, in the same larger community that he grew up in, that right Thompson grew up in, and he didn't know anything about it. It's amazing how little of our own, a little of our local history. We sometimes know the good or the bad history. And so in some ways, reading the book, I hope a lesson to hey, don't forget to look around where you live. Don't forget to learn the history of your own neighborhood. You may be surprised on how much you learn and how much it may matter in the in the grand scheme of things. So that's number three. Number four on my list is one hundred and seven Days Kamala Harris's memoir about her campaign.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: I've spent a lot of time talking about the book when it came out, but I did enjoy it. I you know, we can debate whether this was good for her future political career or bad for her future political career, but.
Speaker 2: Guess what it felt like. It was.
Speaker 1: Sometimes these memoirs are so dishonest art or they're honest, but they're but they're sanitized. This didn't feel very sanitized. This felt different, and you know, it's interesting about her.
Speaker 2: I was having this.
Speaker 1: Conversation with Crystalism and he said, you know, who had the He asked who had the worst, best or worst twenty twenty eight. You know, we both agreed that Gavin Newsom, for anybody think about running for president of the Democratic side, Gavin Newsom probably had the best twenty twenty eight. He believes that Kamala Harris at the worst. I don't. I disagreed with him on it. I understood the case saying, well, you know, she made everybody mad, and it's true, right, she seems to have she seems to have thrown a few matches at a few of the bridges that she's crossed over the years. Right then, maybe she burned a bridge with Biden World, Maybe she burned a bridge with Josh Shapiro, Maybe she burned a bridge with Mark Kelly. Maybe she burned a bridge with Gavin Newsom. But there was another part of me that was surprised at her candor and she didn't play the type. You know, she's been a politician that's been very careful over the years, and she chose to be less careful in this memoir. Is this a different Kamala Harris? Is this the beginning of a different relationship she wants to have with with her political career, a different way she would go about running for office.
Speaker 2: The point is is that I think there's.
Speaker 1: A lot to learn about one hundred and scent about sort of the state of the Democratic Party Circle twenty twenty four. But I found it quite compelling, and it was, you know, not a hard read. Especially you know, it was sort of like it's like reading the director's notes on a movie you already saw, but in some ways the director's notes help you understand the movie even a little bit better.
Speaker 2: I think you will.
Speaker 1: You're not wasting your time by reading this book. I think there's something to learn the number one book, and I'm in the middle of it now, but I think it is absolutely consequential reading Sarka twenty twenty five is a book called Fateful Hours. It is by Vulkar Ulrich and it's been translated from the original German by a gentleman named Jefferson Chase, and it is a new take on the collapse of the Weimar Republic, the democracy that was in place after World War one and before the rise of Hitler. Why did it fall? How did it collapse? What were the warning signs. There's a lot of commentary about how democracies fail, how republics die. Well, this is an example of a republic that died one hundred years ago and in its place came made off Hitler. How did it happen? How could such a modern westernized place do this. Let's just say I have found it both reassuring and arming, but most importantly it's eye opening.
Speaker 2: And look, I is the they must.
Speaker 1: Read article of the month that I gave you last episode from the political quarterly of the Council on Foreign Relations called Foreign Affairs, about this idea that we the United States, have slipped from a democracy to something called competitive authoritarianism. Let's just say this is a pretty good companion read, and I think one that will round out. You read all five of these books. Okay, you read all five of these books, and I think you will be as well informed and as ready for the political landscape that we are all having to navigate going in to twenty twenty six. So my five books, The Drift by Kevin Hassett, The Mark Twain Biography by Ron Chernoud, the Barn, the place where Ed Mattil was killed by Wright Thompson one hundred and seven days by Kamala Harris, and my number one recommendation book that you should be reading going into twenty twenty six fateful hours, the collapse of the wim Are Republic.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: There's your shopping list for the political junkie in your life. There's a reason results matter more than promises, just like there's a reason. Morgan and Morgan is America's largest injury law firm. For the last thirty five years, they've recovered twenty five billion dollars for more than half a million clients. It includes cases where insurance companies offered next to nothing, just hoping to get away with paying as little as possible. Morgan and Morgan fought back ended up winning millions. In fact, in Pennsylvania, one client was awarded twenty six million dollars, which was a staggering forty times the amount that the insurance company originally offered. That original offer six hundred and fifty thousand dollars twenty six million, six hundred fifty thousand dollars, So with more than one thousand lawyers across the country. They know how to deliver for everyday people. If you're injured, you need a lawyer, You need somebody to get your back. Check out for the People dot Com, Slash podcast or Dow Pound Law Pound five two nine law on your cell phone. And remember all law firms are not the same. So check out Morgan and Morgan. Their fee is free unless they win. All right, let's do a little ass.
Speaker 2: Chuck Ask Chuck. First question today comes from Jason in NY otherwise known as New York.
Speaker 1: He goes, Hey, I really appreciate the bonus episodes that you put out recently as political events have warnted, I too believed that the Indiana GOP's rebuke of Trump and Trump's revolting comments about Rob Reiner were significant enough moments to call for quick reactions. Hope to see if more of those in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate it. Look, I go hot and cold on that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be I'm not you know, somebody who's just chasing you know, I don't want to be here quote chasing the news, if you will. But I also think that that if I think I have something to add and trying to add a perspective about how you should think about a major event. That's when I try to try to chime in on that. And I think these were both significant events, and I think that they're going to trigger larger discussions.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think the INDIANAGOP rebuke is a reminder that something that I've been sort of forecasting for the last three months. I send you back to a sub steck I think I wrote in late September early October, which the cracks in the coalition were beginning to show. And then you know, right after that piece, we've seen more and more examples of it, right, whether it's Marjorie Taylor Green, whether it's the Indiana Republicans, and YadA, YadA, YadA. So it is, you know, it is part of this is just time, right, No political movement has that I can think of in our history, has been able to go more than more than eight to ten years. And we're sort of we're at the end, right, We're at the We're at the We're.
Speaker 2: At the beginning of the end. We're not the end. It's not the end of the end, it's at the end of the beginning. Okay.
Speaker 1: I think that's that we're past the end of the beginning. I think we're at the beginning of the end, and this is you know, it's everything is going to get It's going to get worse for him everything. You know, You're going to see the Republicans fracture a little bit more the closer.
Speaker 2: We get to election day.
Speaker 1: So look, I'm not saying some new outside event that none of us have thought of won't create a rally around the flag effect. There's always there are always possibilities. There's always the one percent, the two percent chances where things go another direction. But on the trajectory we're on and assuming sort of you know, events that take place within the normal sort of set of expectations that we have, this is only going to get more acute. And then, of course, on the writer thing, I really think it. I think there's a reason I'm framing it as a do we need to be thinking about whether he's this is the beginning of his own downfall of is just his basic capacity. If you don't have a filter for something like this anymore, what else is not going so well? So I think this is one of those that we needed this. This for me is a bit more alarming because either staff was afraid to tell him this was crazy or they did and he did it anyway, right, And so these felt significant enough. So I appreciate you noticing, but I promise you I don't want to go down, you know, chasing every squirrel down that road.
Speaker 2: All right. Next question comes from Eric.
Speaker 1: From another question from New York. Given the competitiveness of Ohio and Iowa US center races, do you think a Democrat could win the Florida center race?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 1: Eric, Well, look, all the ingredients are they are for a competitive race. You have an appointed senator. The history of appointed senators in general indicate that, you know, they're the most you know, they're more vulnerable than even a first term senator trying to seek reelection. Appointed senators, you know, have the have the worst of all worlds, right they they have the they're an incumbent without any of the upside of incumbency. They only have the downsides of it. So there's that, right, And Ashley Moody's you know, she's not a well known political figure yet, but Florida's very expensive, and that Florida Democratic Party is just structurally so far behind, you know, shared Brown has an organization that these almost turn key for Ohio Democrats. And even though that's a state where overall the Democratic Party is in worshi Democratic maybe brand is in worship in Ohio than it is in Florida. Structurally, they're already more competitive Iowa be in a smaller state. They have a very strong gubernatorial candidate in Rob Sand That also helps it be competitive. I do think that if the governor's race gets competitive, then the Senate race will automatically start to get more competitive. Keep an eye out on Jared Moscowitz. I think if he ends up running. He's a member of Congress. He's been on this podcast, he said. I asked him point blank if he was thinking about running statewide and he said, well, if they redistrict me and he would be among the targets. And I do think Florida still might. I mean, I'll be curious to see whether Indiana's rejection of redistricting if it means the fever's broken. But if we do have two more states that engage in this, it's gonna be Florida in Virginia, one for the Team Red and one for Team Blue. And we'll see what kind of We'll know pretty quickly. I think Jared moscow It's could be a very powerful Senate candidate if because he said, if he gets redistrict he represents of northern Broward County southern Palm Beach County, they could sort of make it a bit you know already was only sort of a I think a plus two Harris district. He could turn. It could turn into something that he's buyinging. And he basically said if if they go after his district, then he'll probably just run for the Senate. There's a candidate in there now, somebody who's a school board part of the school board wars with the Moms of Liberty. It's an organization on the left that went after Moms for Liberty and somebody there. But you know she's got a You're not going to get a financial commitment unless you get a higher profile candidate. Moscowtz might be a high profile enough where he could bring a decent a decent financial following with him. But I don't think the Senate race gets competitive without the governor's race being competitive, and that's an open question. I do think that Democrats ended up with two pretty good candidates in the governor's race, and David Johny and Jerry dem One could argue one of them out a run in the center race, that they've got too many good candidates in the governor's race, not enough good candidates in the Senate race. But we'll say, but I do think it should be. But the cost is it's so prohibitive. I think they're more likely to spend money targeting Mississippi and trying to put Mississippi in play, which is not as far fetched as you might think, because five million dollars, you know, an extra five to ten million dollars in Mississippi would have a huge impact. An extra five to ten million dollars in Florida would have minimal impact. Next question comes from tboor Shinto from Toronto. He says, longtime listener watcher from Toronto here, I have a possibly naive question about journalism in the US. Why didn't reporters directly challenge the president when he makes inappropriate offensive statements like the ones about Rob Ryner are calling journalists stupid. Many in the media react on TV or in print, but rarely pushed back to his face in the moment. Why isn't anyone asked him directly why he behaves that way, maybe using more polite language, just curious why no one takes that shot. Thanks for all the great insights. Well, I would argue in the first term, we all did. I would ask him questions about it. I confronted him directly an off the record meeting during when he was president elect, basically saying when he name checks our correspondence in the field, he puts their lives at risk, He puts a spotlight on him in ways that I believe he didn't intend, is how I put it. But you know, there's a reason I think in Trump two point zero why so many people in these same positions that some of us were in have chosen not to do it Because none of you know, nobody wants to be fodder to help somebody else's social media following, And so I think there's this belief that it doesn't do what you think it's going to do, and if anything, it only it only.
Speaker 2: It only puts you.
Speaker 1: In a position of having to debate the president, right, which is you're.
Speaker 2: Just so it's.
Speaker 1: A lot of us don't want to be a story, and we don't want to insert ourselves, not out of fear, out of distraction. We don't want to be used as a you know, I didn't like it. I always whenever I got a whiff of a guest trying to use an appearance to raise money to don't fundraise, you know, I did my best to gum that up. There's a fairly memorable back and forth I had with Ted Cruz one time that it was clear he accepted the invitation only to try to use me as an attempt for political fundraising fodder. But the own of the conversation went in such a way that he would have been a self owned had he tried it. I didn't realize that's what he was up to until about halfway through the interview, and it was like, oh, now I know why you came on. And it was just anyway it was during the first impeachment. If you want to go back and go find that back and forth that I had with him, let's just say I'll just use three letters to give you a hint about where the conversation went to JFK and I'll just let you know and you can sort of imagine where the where that part of the conversation went. So I think that's the That's why you know, it doesn't feel like it gets you anywhere, and it I don't want to say journalists don't do it out of fear. Fear is the wrong word. I think terms of it's sort of like is it effective? Like ultimately, what is our role? Is your role to get information out to understand? I could tell you the private conversations I've had with him about this. I'm like, why do you you know you do that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: He he sort of has always viewed the press as playing a part, like almost like the chorus and a Shakespeare play, that we're all playing a role, and his role is to go after the press. The press is sort of that, you know, I've always equated it. He sees us all as if you're familiar with the WWF slash WWE And I have the reason I used WWF is back in my day, it was the WWF and it was a guy named the press person was a guy named gene Okerland, mean gene Oakerland, and he was who, you know, all the wrestlers picked on because he was the press, you.
Speaker 2: Know, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And I always said that that Trump sort of viewed us as mean gene Oakerland, that we were kind of in on the joke, and he would say even say things to me like, oh, this is good for your ratings, it's good for your name. I d you know, it only gives you more attention, it only makes you more money, it only gives you or book deals. That was his mindset about it back then. It's I think that's a little more nefarious.
Speaker 2: But I don't, you know, what what do you expect?
Speaker 1: What do you expect him to say? Sometimes when you ask, you know, I understand sort of like, you know, I'd rather press him on why is he pardoning a convicted drug Uh? Why did he pardon somebody who was convicted of being a drug trafficker? Are you taking you know? Did you know?
Speaker 2: Did it? You know?
Speaker 1: Why do you pardon your friends?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Why did you pardon you know, Henry Kuayer? You know, I think there are other questions that if you have the chance at a shot a question, because let's say, you know, why did you say that about Rob Bryner and his answer, I can tell you what his answer was, Well, he attacked me first. It's always that's always usually his defense when they came after me. You know, I wouldn't have said anything had they not said this. You know, he always says, I don't attack people, I defend myself, so but I could, but I definitely you're right, there is less of this in Trump two point zero because many of us tried this in Trump one point oh, and it didn't seem to go anywhere, It didn't seem to didn't really produce an answer. You know, I think there's a lot of people, and I'm you know that listen to this podcast that want the press to express the outrage that they have. But it's the equivalent of punching your you know, punching a wall, a dry wall. You know, you might punch a hole in the wall and you might feel strong, but then you've got to go back and patch up the wall, and what have you really accomplished? You know, you can express your outrage at him, he doesn't say anything satisfactory, and whatever he says will outrage people who are already outraged.
Speaker 2: And so it's.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that's you know, I don't and maybe that's not a satisfactory answer to you. I get it, But you know, there comes a point of you know, is there anything to be gained in understanding more about him? Or are you just trying to go viral for yourself right to Hey, look, I took on Donald Trump. Some of us are not in the game of just making this about ourselves, right, and so I think that's also also plays a role on that front. Next question comes from Adam w Any writes, I'm curious about your thoughts on this. Affordability seems to be the central theme that Democrats seem to be winning on. One of the sneaky culprits of rising costs is the complete lack of competition and various segments of the economy. Perhaps it is the lawyer in me, but I don't understand why democrats haven't begun at least bringing up the issue of breaking up big monopolies. Thanks Adam w.
Speaker 2: So, you're right, I think that.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think there's going to be a fear of doing that, but you know there's you know, I think the the stuff that's popular is when you point out how these monopolies are costing you money. And so I just had a interview with an economist on my newsphere show a couple episodes ago where we spent a lot of time on the issue of surveillance pricing and the fact that you have this. We have this phenomenon these days of dynamic pricing, where basically the new goal is to figure out, Hey, how do I maximize you know, you Chuck Todd have a little bit more money to spend versus you Jane Doe, who has less money to spend. I want to have you both as customers. But I you know you can pay more than Jane Doe. How can I get you to pay more in Jane Doe to pay me something? And I think that you know, whether we've seen that airlines are thinking about going down this road. There was a really good story and I think it was the Washington Post about Uber and lyft and how you know, on one phone, you know, based on information they may have about you, the price is one thing. On another phone, based on information they have on the person who owns that phone, the price for the same ride from the same location to the same location is suddenly different. And how much of it is based on what they think you're sort of Oh, I'm not, I'm not that's too expensive for me versus that And I think that's the type of of discrimination that will really sort of, you know, middle class discrimination is when the middle class grabs the pitchforks watch out right, like, you know, when when the supposedly comfortable, you know, enough to own a home, you know, have a couple, have two cars, be able to afford kids college, all that stuff, and they feel as if they're being taken advantage of because they have a couple extra dollars, you know, the middle and the upper middle class revolting. That's that's when politicians sometimes finally finally start to pay attention to some of these things. I think it's possible you will see going after you know, tech monopolies on this, but we're not quite there yet because I don't think the public sees the evidence yet, right. I don't think we're you kind of have to. The public needs to be a bit better informed on this, and I think you're seeing more and more coverage that's focused on so of how consolidation in various industries has cost the consumer money. Now, this is what I think has been the you know, I think local media used to do consumer reporting a lot better than national media, and the loss of local journalism has really gutted the consumer journalism world. This is where influencers, I think, come in, and this is something that I think, if you know, I think trusted media was higher when we had a lot more consumer reporters dedicated to saving consumers money and from being ripped off. And the lion's share of those reporters were on the local level. So the gutting of local gutted out the reporters that were providing a real service to average Americans. And I think the you know, this is among my goals. Why do I want to revitalize local news because I think this is the biggest missing piece when it comes to the lack of trust that we have nationally with media, is we lost our local character references and they did a better job worrying about helping people on a local level than we have the ability to do on the national level. And so I think if once we know there's more reporting locally on scams and pricing discrimination and things like that, which is where you're more likely to see this, then you'll hit critical mass and it becomes suddenly something that they want politicians to do something about. All Right, The last question for today is going to come from Dave, and he writes, is Chuck really enjoy the podcast? Appreciate the mixture of politics, history, and college football right on. Also love the guests you have for interviews and all the information that comes from those conversations. Can you tell us how interview prep has changed for you from the shorter time limits you had to meet the press to now being able to do long form interviews on the podcast. Would love to hear some of your thoughts on what you think makes a great guest conversation on your show. Thanks and happy holidays. Well, the biggest thing is just right just having more time it means that I spend more time on a specific policy idea that the guests may have in wanting to go four, five or six questions deep on said right. In a meet the press, if somebody who was rolling out a policy proposal for your eight to ten minute interview, you do one follow up, maybe you know, maybe a second if it's you think it's really interesting to the viewers, then you end up moving on. We don't have to do that here, and that's you know, that.
Speaker 2: To me.
Speaker 1: Allows for some of the nuanced debate and we end up what you get and what I think I'll tell you. You ask me what makes a good I think what makes a good conversation is when we end is when you end up understanding all sides of an argument without having me and the guests debate each other, because hopefully I have asked a few of the let me ask the perspective from the left, let me ask perspective from the right, and needed depending on what their point of view is, and that by the end of the conversation, if you feel like that you would understand how this issue would then get debated between sort of stereotypical left versus stereotypical right, then I've accomplished something. Right then I've given you a complete conversation that makes you prepared to understand this issue no matter where else you end up getting information about it. I think the best conversations are when that when I kind of know them a little bit. I think that always helps because they're more comfortable with me because they know me a little bit. So I think those make good conversation better podcast conversations. Obviously, I do take a much less antagonistic posture because this is you know, I always say this, you know it meet the press. There was an expectation that this is an accountability show, and this is where we're gonna you know, you've got to you're test, you're testing your your beliefs that you know, you're you gotta, you gotta, you got to tell them, you know, you got to explain your rationale. And it's devoted to a you know, single issue or a topic or a couple of topics versus here where I may have, you know, a large singular reason for booking that guest, say, on the issue of how do we open up primaries, uh to to all voters. But it means we can meander around a little bit. But it's also you know, not everybody can carry forty five minutes, so you have to be mindful of that, just like you know, some people are great ten minute interviews, terrible thirty minute.
Speaker 2: Interviews and vice versa.
Speaker 1: So in that sense, you've you've got to you've got to know. But it is I will tell you this, there was only one interview, and I'm not going to say who it is. You guys might be able to figure it out by just listening. There's only one interview where I felt like I ran out of questions before I ran out of time. And ultimately that means we're doing a good job of booking. Because I hope to have the type of guests where we you know, an hour is great, but believe it or not, there were some questions left on the table. If there are no questions left on the table, then probably the guest wasn't quite worth the forty five minutes I may have spent with them. But I actually think since I started this podcast re upped this podcast on April, I could think of only once that I sat here and I thought, boy, I'm kind of exhausted from questions.
Speaker 2: I got to go.
Speaker 1: But I kind of if I finally go twenty minutes with this interview, am I sending the signal that this was a total dud?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: It's like I almost didn't want to do I didn't think that was fair to the person. So I wanted to make sure I hit a minimum a minimum time slot. My guess is I'm not I don't want to. I don't want you guys to play the guessing game of who it is. But it's usually pretty obvious when you know somebody isn't working out. It's usually because they don't want to answer questions, and you're like, well, why the hell did you come on here?
Speaker 2: Right? What did you think this was going to be? Uh?
Speaker 1: And and thankfully, in some ways the format is self selecting. Right if you if you're not comfortable sort of having a conversation for forty minutes with me, then you're not going to come on anyway. So in that sense it can be self selecting. Look, I wish I've had there are there are a few more Republicans that I've been trying to get to come on that won't or haven't said yes yet. Hopefully they're listening right now, And I think I know why. Like it's not that they worried about me. They just somehow think that their own voters will that that that they only want to spend forty five minutes talking to their to their base. They're not interested in talking to swing voters, talking to independence, talking to you the intellectually curious, And that's disappointing to me. I think in it, I think once the Orange Man leaves the Oval office, these people I've been trying to get to come on will come on. But you know, I know that in for some for some of these folks, they don't want to They don't want to have to not answer a question that they know is logical for me to ask, which is just a disappointment, all right, but this is the world we live in. Look what Look what Susie Wilds just had to do. You know, she had to put out an apology tweet for an audience of one. And there are people that are always looking to aggregate and cherry pick what somebody says. Hey, you know Tom Cotton said this to Chuck Todd on his Todd on his podcast. You know, and you know that's just unfortunately the way things, you know, things get weaponized on the on the stupid left and the stupid right, which is right, We know right that it's those it's those that are in the business of grifting you on ideology. And these people exist on the left and the right, my friends, that have scared off some of these folks from from coming and swimming in the intellectually curious pool. But hey, come on in, the water's comfortable and if you're comfortable in your own skin, everything's going to be easy on the Chuck podcast. But if you're not comfortable in your own skin, then yeah, it's going to be an uncomfortable forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen to another round of a great question.
Speaker 1: There's more, a lot more to come. I am also waiting. I am curious. I've not gotten a lot of feedback yet from you, specific feedback on where you guys aren't prediction markets. I just would love an array of experiences, the good, the bad, the ugly, you know again, non sports, the prediction markets, through the prism of non sports everything else. I'm very curious good experience, bad experience, you know, Are you curious, are you nervous? Any of those things? I am, Like I've expressed to you, I'm cautiously pessimistic about the prediction markets and yet and keeping an eye on them because somehow I have a feeling it's going to be more impactful than we want to admit.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: With that, I'm going to shut it down for another twenty four hours, but I will be back in twenty four hours, So thank you for listening until we upload again.