Speaker 1: Joining us now on bench Banter is Pirate's first round draft pick, Derek Curry Out.
Speaker 2: Derek, welcome to the show man.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: How's the weekend been so far? Probably a whirl win, a lot of moving pieces. But what's the first experience with Pittsburgh?
Speaker 3: Like, it's been great. The atmosphere has been great. Been here for a couple of games, pretty cool to see how everyone showed up, but for that Cub series and you know they got a big one tonight, So excited to watch some good baseball. Derek, Welcome to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Man. What was it like hearing your name called pick number five? And also did you know the Pirates had any interest in you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dream come true, something I've me and my family I've worked for for many years. And I mean that's why we do it. You know, they're the commissioner. I'll call your name. And then now there's a new, new, new mountain of climb to make it here. So it's been great and we're just.
Speaker 2: Very happy looking back on it.
Speaker 1: I've read some stuff and we've heard you talk over the past couple of days about taking two hundred swings a day and trying to emulate that game after Pete rose, going back to all the days that you work with your dad or your brother. What's it like now reflecting looking out to the skyline, taking deep on the field, what's that moment like.
Speaker 3: It's been great. It's been great. I mean since I was a little kid, been taking a ton of swings in my backyard. As I grown up, learned more about myself, learn sometimes you gotta pull it back, Sometimes you gotta kind of show and go. Sometimes you gotta do what the game calls for. So I've been learning that and to be around these pro guys. It's been pretty cool because everyone has different routines. Some guys like to take a lot of swings, some guys like to take it minimal. But it's great. And then now I get to see the skyline, it's been beautiful.
Speaker 4: A couple of years ago, you were one of the highest rated high school players in the country.
Speaker 3: You chose to go to LSU.
Speaker 4: How difficult was that decision and also what did you learn the most at your time with your time at LSU.
Speaker 3: Wasn't difficult at all. I mean I kind of knew I wasn't gonna go where I wanted to. I was a pretty pretty highly tired guy throughout my high school career. Senior year when I counted didn't perform great, I knew there was some things that still needed to develop, my body, change a couple of things in my swing. I trusted coach Johnson, I saw the Dylan Cruise path and Paul Schemes. I mean, they had a great team, so made it easy for my decision to go over there and trust the coaches. And then when I got there, made some adjustments and kind of hit the ground running from there. Gave my body time to develop. So just in God's timing.
Speaker 1: You think that was essential for your development and also just experiencing that winning culture. Obviously, get a national championship under your belt, get that experience. Do you think that helped propel you to the next level?
Speaker 3: Absolutely being around winners. I mean my first year, I have Kid Anderson, Anthony I and San Jared Jones like guys on my team who helped elevate my game. And I learned a lot within two months of fall ball and kind of hit the ground running from there and earned my spot in the team. And I was happy I was able to do what I what I did for LSU and there forever a part of me.
Speaker 4: You got to pick one part of your game that you think improved the most at LSU. Which part of your game do you think that is?
Speaker 3: Honestly my preparation, I feel like I have a better routine now. In high school being Southern California, well it was always great, Like it was just straight baseball for me all the time, kind of just roll the balls out and go compete, which is a good mentality to have, but you gotta know why doing it and what gets you going because a lot of games, you know, back to back to back, So learned a great routine through the coaches, hitting, warming up my arm, warming up my body. And I mean I played every single game ls You didn't miss miss one game. So I think it's a testament to how hard I worked in the weight room, taking care of my body, the stuff I eat, Like I learned a lot.
Speaker 2: A lot mentally.
Speaker 1: I mean that's tolling as well, between school and baseball and everything that you just mentioned. What's the mental approach? Obviously baseball is the hardest game out there. You're going to go through slumps, difficult times. How do you keep yourself even keeled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just keeping the outside noise outside noise, and the focusing on what's important and to me, it's my family, my faith and this this is all I want to do. This is all I ever wanted to do. So I'm not taking that for granted. And I'm I'm eliminating, eliminating the outside noise, outside distractions. Uh, I'm fully focused on what I want to do and where I want to be.
Speaker 4: Jrek, you already have a relationship with Connor Griffin from the Team US. Say what's it like seeing his quick transition to Pro Bowl and also joining the organization that he's a part of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've said a lot of times. I mean if you told me he was going to do this back when we were in high school in the USA team together, I would have one hundred percent believed you. I mean, he's a freaking know, freak athlete, freak human being, comes from a great family and he is a great head on his shoulder. So to be friends with him and then teammates previously and now teammates again means a lot. He's taught me a lot these past couple of days and just telling me how much he loves the people here and loves this city and the Bruins something up pretty special here in Pittsburgh, So I'm excited.
Speaker 1: What's it like just getting to know some of the guys in the clubhouse right off the bat this week and talking to the front office and getting that experience just being around PNC Park.
Speaker 3: I love how focused these guys are. Like it's honestly, it's attracted to me, you know, like I want to be around these guys. This is all they care about, literally everything in there, just talking baseball, how they can get better. The coaches just I was in their hitters meeting, just very detail oriented and it's just super cool to see how guys go about their business. And I can't wait to be up here and Iron Starbrom's Iron. So these guys are gonna get me better.
Speaker 4: Derek, You've been a lot of for your outfield defense of playing up the middle. What part of your defensive game do you take pride in the most?
Speaker 3: Just going out there and hawking one down for my team, for my pitcher, saving some runs. You know. I love making the diving plays, but also the routine, the routine ones. I love reading the ball off the bat, and just getting to help the team in any way I can.
Speaker 1: You just mentioned being in the hitters meeting. Obviously, LSU sec ball is very competitive nowadays.
Speaker 2: You guys have a lot of resources.
Speaker 1: Available, analytics and also just having a feel for the game. Are you a guy that dives deep into the video proach and analytics every single game every single at that orre you more of a field guy, go with the flow of the game.
Speaker 2: We're both.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm a good mix of both. Pregame, definitely want to consume as much information as I can about the opposing picture because I feel very confident in my plan. So now I just want to know what he's trying to do to me, and then as soon as it's between the lines, then I'm not thinking about any of that. I mean, it's time to compete, but before the game, is just good to know those little things just to keep in the back of your mind, you know, So just filtering it in the way I want to do it, and some other guys do it differently and it works for everyone else. So pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Jack.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be heading down to the Florida here soon.
Speaker 4: What are some of your initial goals heading into your first summer of pro ball, learn.
Speaker 3: As much as I possibly can. I'm gonna I'm gonna be around professionals, professional coaches, so to just learn from everyone. They're obviously there for a reason. The organization trust them, and I trust the organizations. So I mean, if those guys are there, they have a lot of accountability and they're obviously have done their job great. So just learning.
Speaker 2: Have they mapped out a plan for you?
Speaker 1: Obviously you're going down to the complex soon, but has there been any talk about what games you're gonna play in or what the.
Speaker 2: Strategy is moving forward for at least this year.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard anything yet. I mean, I don't want to play, want to play. I've been kind of on the sideline for two months. Our season ended pretty early this year, sadly, So I mean, I've just been waiting for the drafts and haven't played in two months. My body feels fresh. I'm ready excited to go. So whoever they choose to send me, I'm excited.
Speaker 4: We all have role models, players that we look up.
Speaker 3: Towing up. Who's someone that you looked up?
Speaker 4: Duru had a lot of impact on your game as a young player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's two. I mean, growing up sounds a baby. My Dad's always instilled in me, like the Pete Rose mentality and how he went about the game. That's my dad's favorite favorite player. We have a Pete Rose jersey with number fourteen reds, but it says Curry l all the top in the back, so he signed it for my dad and all that stuff. So I've always watched his videos, but more recently Christian Yelich. I really like him. He's a southern California guy, obviously got drafted to Miami. He used to go to his camps growing up at west Lake High School. So he's been really cool to watch and I like him laying my game after him.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the swing's a little bit similar in terms of like the hand placement. Is that something that's noticeable for you or that was intentional?
Speaker 3: For sure? Yeah, I kind of like how he moves in the box. It's pretty calm but also pretty violent. He's obviously kind of a lenkier guy like me, and I mean, I love the way he plays a game. He's MVP one couple of gold gloves. He could really swing it so great.
Speaker 1: Dude, talking about the swing mechanics, like your hands keep him a little bit out in front of your face, right, and then the load it's not much of like an extensive load, but when your leg goes up you get into that slot pretty nicely when everything gets in motion. Talk us through like your approach and the mechanics and how you got to where you're at today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for me, mainly, my leg lift is just it's just a timing thing that's not really to generate power like some guys will kind of coil into it. For me, I'm just lifting my leg off the ground because it helps me get my foot down on time. And I honestly don't even try to lift my leg like it kind of just happens naturally. And then I'm just focused on hitting the ball, like I feel like I've been really blessed that my body kind of works for me. But yeah, just it's more of a timing mechanism.
Speaker 1: Okay, so when that leg gets up, it feels like your hips already kind of precoiled a piny bit. Is that help you generate that power since that you know, like I mentioned, your arms aren't going like that far back, it really gets into that slot quickly. So is that where the power is coming from in terms of the core and the legs.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I always like to say, I mean from the ground up. So I like to make sure my feet are where they're supposed to be, then my hips are where they supposed to be, and the kind of have my hands in that slot because from there, as soon as my foots down, I couldn't fire at any moment, kind of like you said. So that's kind of the reason I did that because in high school I was more here, more horizontal rather than vertical, and kind of couldn't get to inside pitches. But now with my hands being out here, I have this space. I don't need to create it with the load or my hands. So the space is already there, and as soon as I land, I can swing at anytime.
Speaker 4: Derek, you're known to have excellent bat to ball skills. What is something in you're swinging? What is a key to you get to making contact so consistently?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just getting my pitch and not the pitcher's pitch. Coach Johnson instilled that at us at LSU, like make sure he throws three really good pitches to get you out. So just making sure I'm getting my pitch, and I'm very comfortable with him with two strikes. So the more pitches I see, honestly, the better and I get to kind of see as all arsenal. So just make sure I'm getting my pitch and I trust myself and all counts.
Speaker 2: Is it thinking middle away and then reacting in absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like to hit the ball hard and load through the middle of the field. I like to let the fastball get deep, but then obviously when it's inside you can kind of just react to it. So for me, just to make sure I'm not rolling over on balls or flaring balls. Kind of want to stay low and hard through the middle of the field, let the ball travel deeply, and then anything in especially soft like you can react, you know.
Speaker 4: Derek, last question for me, I feel like we can talk hitting all day here. For Pirates fans that are just getting to know you, what type of player are they getting with Derek Curryell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hard nose player, player who loves the game and loves to win. I've been a lot of I've been a part of a lot of winning cultures, and I'm excited to do that here in Pittsburgh. Too. Fully focused on developing and eventually winning a World Series here. So I'm excited and play the game hard. I'll bun, I'll drag Bond, hit and run whatever the team needs, you know, take the extra base, divn't play anything.
Speaker 1: Pirates fans that want to know you a little bit more than baseball. What's the walkout songs over the past couple of years and what are some of the hobbies off.
Speaker 2: The field that keep you occupied it outside of baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my walkout song my years at lsu as God is by Kanye West. Love that song. Just kind of peaceful, peaceful walking up to the play and knowing why I'm doing it. Just a good reminder and then ass the field. I mean, like I said, I'm really focused on baseball and my family. Uh. I like relationships rather than doing things. So for me, it's a lot of quality time spent with my family rather than doing certain things. But we have three dogs too, so most of my time is spent with them. I'm sure you guys will get to know Bo. Yeah, he's pretty famous around Baton Rouge, so yeah, I mean that's kind of me. Dog is Bo Golden t Yeah, two Golden and one Labordoddle.
Speaker 2: I love that. Man.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, congratulations, enjoy the moment, but we're excited to see you in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Man, so that's a lot.
Speaker 5: Thank you all best seats as the parents getting Let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh whyee? Is alloyer my date to my dates? Or the stick by the plate City