Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: This is Prime Cuts, the best of the Colin Coward Podcast. So I saw the story where Tua quarterback Miami Dolphins, acknowledged and admitted that he strongly considered retirement this past year when he dealt with concussions, and that's something. Had it happened to me, it happened to a family member, you should consider retirement. You know, we get into these things in sports, these tunnels where everybody's afraid to get canceled and called out, and so people don't acknowledge stuff which is like obvious. And I felt like three or four years ago when I brought up that Kyler Murray was a little too small for my taste or that size mattered at quarterback, I got a lot of pushback on this stuff. And it's like, now, can we all admit it that Bryce young size is a little concerning out of Alabama, and it should be. That Tua is small and Jalen Hurts is not ideal, though I wouldn't classify him as small. He's been dinged up. And that Baker Mayfield, you know, for a number one pick, Baker's six feet tall and not a great athlete. Tried to size up a safety after an interception, banged on his shoulder, got hurt. Never the same quarterback. We have to be honest about this stuff. Is that Mahomes and Herbert and Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow and Josh Allen. These are bigger than average men. It matters. Go look at the list of Hall of Fame quarterbacks. You're John Elways, your Brady's, your Peyton Mannings, your big Bends, You're Joe Montana's, and Steve Young's not a lot of five ten guys there. So and I think it's a I think it's a real concern about Bryce Young. It's why there's a quarterback for Tennessee that may go in the second round, Hendon Hooker. The knock on him is that he had an ACL injury. But he's a big, strong kid who throws a beautiful football. He may be your best bet. He may be your best bet in this draft. I don't know that to be true. But he is big, he's strong, he's got a big arm, and you know he's older. So he's a more mature kid, right than your average twenty one twenty two year old quarterback coming in. He's you know, he's been around a while. So this stuff with Tua is you know, he's got an extension possibility coming up. I just I couldn't give it to him. I just couldn't, you know the way I look at Tua, great kid, great high school and college career, limitations at the pro level, and I said, we're to a point now where the media is not going to give you a pass on concussions. And not only are they not going to give you a pass concussions, the opinions will be swift, they'll be punitive. And I think the Miami Dolphins, if Tua has a concussion, you can't plan for a month minimum. I mean if third week of the year, September concussion, if you plan before Thanksgiving, you're going to get hammered by people. It's the one injury where the media is relentless, and no company wants to get banged on by the media for eight to ten weeks. They don't all right, So it's a bummer like some guys, you know, I've seen it at every position in the NFL. Some guys are built for high school and college. It's not quite built for the NFL. And I don't know if Twua is I mean, he has admitted before. Now he's admitting he thought about retirement, and he's admitted before he struggles at times to see over the offensive line. It's okay, we can acknowledge this right like it's an adult conversation now. And it's why Sean Payton came on my show and said, be very very careful about not going prototype in the first ten to fifteen picks. Do not get an offensive tackle that's six two or sixty three. You got to be six five and a half minimum, you know. Don't take a small corner, don't take a smaller quarterback. So I think the Dolphins are in a really tricky situation. Two is a really good guy. They want to protect him. They should. Tua also needs to be protected, like most pro athletes from themselves, because they're all competitors and all want to play. But that news that Tua considered retirement, how do you not consider that? If you're the Miami Dolphins going forward, how do you not Now, we bring in the great Marcus Thompson. We use him as often as we can. He's a busy guy. I came out last week and I thought Sacramento would win the opener. I'll take the Warriors in six. My question was how much do you get out of Andrew Wiggins? Were you surprised how effective Andrew Wiggins was having not played for three months?
Speaker 1: I was, I mean, he's such a freak athlete that how do you do that. He's bouncing around, he had three blocks, he's playing defense, he's rebounding, he's getting to his spots and it looks like normal. It is wasa even if you know, like this dude is a unique athlete, Like really he is special in a very like created in a lab kind of way. Right, he could run all day before this year, he never missed games, Like he's just a guy who could just play all day. And he looked like that it did catch up with him, right, he was winded. I think it was one for eight from three. He missed the three that would have won the game, basically wide open from the corner. So you could see like the effects of it. But man, let me let me tell you Kyler. After the game in a loss, you could feel that they're like, oh we got wigkets back. Oh oh okay, Like even after the loss, it we're like, oh we got we got wigkets back. And that was kind of the sentiment like we're jet we're fine, our whole squad is here, and Wiggins looks like that already, Okay, we're pretty good. That's one of the words to never get down. They very rarely get down. That's still one of the higher moments I felt in locker room after a loss where they felt like brooding confidence.
Speaker 2: Well, now with Kaminga and Wiggins, Peyton will get to him in a second, and Dante DiVincenzo. They do have a seven to an eight man rotation here of you know veteran players. You know a player the Warriors don't have to mention Jordan Poole by name, but it's pretty obvious. Kerr and Draymond take turns, you know, firing shots at him defensively, Marcus, he's it's a problem, like he's not engaged. I thought he had three or four lapses defensively, and I honestly thought it cost them the game. Are his minutes? I mean last year in the playoffs, Marcus, the longer they went, the fewer minutes he played like there was there. Do you think there's real concern about what he gives up on the defensive end? He's just not engaged a lot.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it matters if he's engaged or not. He's just not very good at it, so it doesn't matter at this level, right, Like you could be as intuite as you wanted. He made a few good plays, but in the end, he's not guard deer in Fox. So what he's not guarding Malik Monk. So the thing that is important for him is to be able to go back at you, Like they need somebody to go back at it. They don't have a guy outside of Steph Curry who can catch the ball at the three point line and end up at the rim. He's the only other guy who can do it. He's the only guy who can dribble well enough and create, so they need him for that. But he also gives up stuff on defense, and that's kind of to catch twenty two with Jordan Poole. If he's rolling and his shot is falling, all right, you broke with him. Like there was a stretch where they couldn't score and it was him and Milik Monk going at each other, and it was like, what the heck is this is this Michigan verus Kentucky?
Speaker 2: Like I know, but.
Speaker 1: Crunch time, you just get the sense in this series against the most efficient offense team that could explode like this. He probably won't be playing down the stretch, not that much. He didn't play that much this game, Like he just wasn't there. And Steve Kerr is going to leave defense, He's going to lean defense. Every time they scored one hundred and twenty three points, they should win that game. They gave up one twenty six. That was the problem.
Speaker 2: What are they going to get now from Peyton who left the game some sort of core injury. What's the latest on him?
Speaker 1: He seemed to be fine. He said he felt good. He came back in. He just you know, Peyton is one of them, dudess. He's like a football player in that sense, like a running back, Like he's all his whole bodies on the line. He's running, he's jumping, he's falling, he's playing big right, and you just feel like he's got a few years of this, So you need to get him because there's always something with him, right. He's just he's so physical with the way he plays. He's a revelatory. He changes everything to them. He gives him something. I feel like he might get a lot of Pool mints. If it's not Wiggins, it'll be Gary Payton. I honestly think that Peyton's a better fit. I think when I watch Pool on the floor with the Warriors can I feel like Draymond's body language isn't great sometimes Kurt isn't. I feel like they hold their breath a little with Jordan Poole. They don't trust him. They know he's gifted, but they don't trust him. I think they trust Peyton though he's limited. Yeah, the problem with Jordan is he's just very young, and the mistakes and the stuff he's got to learn, there's literally no other way around it. Like he gets the ball at the end of the quarter in the game and Steph is on a court and it's Jordan Poole and he goes one on one with Fox and he turns it over and it's like, you got to get a ball to Stephan in that situation, right, But in the same vein, he's taking that play and he's gotten the bucket out of it. He just does so many things that nobody else on the team can do. So they gotta live with it. And you know what, here's the reality. They created that monster, right, they taught him out to play. So if he's taking bad shots, he watched him take bad shots. He learned from them, right. He his swagger, his confidence, they reeded it. So this is just part of it. Like it reminds me of like, you know, you're messing with a teenager, right, Like you're raising a teenager. Like there's just parts of raising a teenager that are tough. You got a young dude with that much talent, that much confidence, that much arrogance, that much belief in himself and also that many flaws. You just gotta live with it because they can't without him. But also it's some things on the court that frustrates you. And they're all thirty thirty plus years old, they've got four championships, they're veterans, right, you know, they make mistakes too, so they just have to live with it. I feel like they just have to live with it no matter what, because bottom line, if Gary Payton's out there, that's one less score. And if Klay's not making his shots like he wasn't, especially down the stretch. Now, it's just all on Steph. They run a boxing one on Steph. Who creates offense at that point. Now it's like, yo, you kind of need your pool of the game, so figure out what to do on defense. But that dude could go get a bucket.
Speaker 2: So Draymond does podcasts right after the games he did last year. You know, it's I see people take shots head him. It's not like he divulges game plans. How does it sit though with the team? I mean, Draymond gives you insight that literally nobody in basketball gives you. He's off the floor for the dynasty. Does it sit uncomfortably with a team? How do they feel about it?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Number, if there's one thing the I mean, first off, the only people who could possibly say something are like the Ogs, right, Steph Curry, Clayton Thompson, andre right, But anybody else, it probably doesn't matter what they say. Is there any team more brand conscious than the Warriors? Right there? Any that spends as much time building like who they are? I mean Clay's riding boats to games, right like, he's got his whole shtick. Steph, you know, has his thing, like even andre Igandala is the super smart tech guy, right Like they look at Draymond as that's Draymond's thing. As long as he's playing, well, it's fine. I haven't heard anything negative about it, right, Like, you know, Draymond is a guy who will do some things that irritates people. The podcast ain't one of them. From what I can hear, it's just Draymond. Plus, I don't know how much of this is Like, Yo, this is Draymond. We've known he's dude for ten years now. Like why we get mad about the sky being blue? Like Draymond likes to talk. He's gonna talk. He's pretty smart, so he knows what he's doing. It's gonna be calculated. Why, Like, why worry about it? I think the fans don't like it more than the players don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you nailed it. I think he's very measured and calculated. He knows exactly what he's saying. I love it. I find the accents us fascinating.
Speaker 1: But there's a there's like an other element to to it. I think that people should probably know, like like he's essentially putting his team on notice, right, Like if he's out there talking, they they kind of got to go back him up, right, And the only reason you would complain about him doing that is if you are afraid, you can't back it up. And that's just not worries basketball. Right, They're gonna go into arena and they're gonna talk, and then they're all going to back up the one who's talking. Like that's just how it is. So I do think there's a little bit of it, like an ulterior motives, like all right, I'm gonna put us on notice and we're gonna have to live. We're gonna have to rise up to the occasion because nobody else on the team will do that. I do feel like this is a little bit of team chemistry situation as well.
Speaker 2: Outside of the Warriors. Was there any takeaway for you this weekend, Marcus? That was anything you took a step back and went, you know, once Giannis got hurt, it's gonna be a different game. Celtics are going to dispose very quickly. Uh, Philadelphia is going to dispose of Brooklyn very quickly. Anything surprised you at all? Not necessarily surprising. I thought Memphis would be a tougher fight for the like the Lakers kind of wax them.
Speaker 1: I mean it was like the Ruy and and re right, like they were cooking the Lakers look like, uh oh, but if you're reminded of the ceiling they had, right, they've played below it for so long you forget they have it. But it's like, wait a second, if this thing clicks, it might click click right. They could like if Memphis doesn't put up a fight here and the Warriors Kings go six or seven of a brawl, the right track race right now, whoever comes out of it. You got to deal with the size of Phillip, physicality of the Lakers. Well, you could see this kind of kind of shaping up for them in a way that's a little bit like, wow, we just would have never thought this two months ago. We would have ever thought this, like they would have this ride to the you know, to the Western Conference Finals. I was I'm interested in the Miami Milwaukee series. I think this was more of a blue kind of game. One like I think even without Giannis, the Bucks are so used to playing without them that they might figure something out. So I'm interested to see what they have left. I think this is a phenomenon. The team that comes in off the playing usually a little bit rolling and and now you know, I remember I think it was Memphis got Game one against Utah afterday, if you win two games to get into the playoffs, your nice little rhythm, and you're playing a team that was just sitting, was just rested. I think that's a little bit of thing. So I really want to see what Miami has. Actually they lost one in World One, but I want to see if Miami is legit. If they could really extend the series, that changes the entire East. And for Walking he's out entire East. It blows everything up. Now, another team could sneak in, like like the Knicks to the East Finals.
Speaker 2: I don't think they will, but you know, going back to what you said about the Lakers, I thought they'd beat Minnesota and I thought they'd beat Memphis. But I did feel like the longer it goes, it's more of a disadvantage. Because if you could get in and out of this series with Memphis in five games and Lebon gets like four days to rest, then you have a real chance to win Game one. It gets whoever you play like I think play. There is a path that the Lakers need to hit to win the Warriors. Don't you know a lot of the good teams don't the Lakers do. There's a path to success, and it's getting rid of Memphis fast.
Speaker 1: But doesn't look feasible. I mean, like even like Joh got hurt and this is becoming a thing. Joh gets hurt, right, this is obviously a thing where this is now the second playoffs and he got hurt. And remember before they were like better without him, They like played in a way where it was like, yo, they actually lock in on defense, right, But no Steven Adams, no Brandon Clark. That that that's a problem. Missles might be in trouble even if Josh somehow plays. You're down one and they've got Anthony Davis, Huka at any moment just dropped forty on you, right, well, like they got the guy who can do it, lebron Can just dropped forty on you, and you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they were trailing by four. That was an offensive foul on jaw. The Lakers were getting the ball and were hot. And by the way, the Lakers had their best quarter of the season and the third quarter and John was on the floor, so's he wasn't stopping anybody. I thought the Lakers got so many good looks. I mean the first half, the whole game. They got him, They just didn't hit him in the first half.
Speaker 1: But they were.
Speaker 2: Getting fun nominal looks. Their ball movement was excellent. That's the part though, that makes you think, how real is this? I mean, it is Ruy hitting all those the whole series.
Speaker 1: He won't No, you know, you not sold on the Hotchi Bower bandwagon, not hop it on? You not ready for the twenty four average of twenty four for the series for Hottie Bower. You ate, I'm signing up Ruy hotchiburrs average of twenty four for the entire series. Put me down, I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I will say their third leading score Russell Ruy reeves. They've got a collection of guys who are all I mean, D'Angelo Russell is capable of drop twenty six, going to give you a game, right, yeah, no question, no question. He can be a little yep. Dennis Shrewder by the way the playing game, Dennis shrewder was their third guy. So they don't have a they don't have a nail down three. But I mean, listen to Celtics got to the finals last year and Marcus Smart is hot and cold. You don't know exactly what you're getting offensively from Marcus Smart. So I mean, if you have two legitimate scores, I mean, what's impressible. We can do the number three by committee, right, you can kind of do it by committee. So all right, So you still feel good about the Warriors before we let you go. I still think they went it in six.
Speaker 1: I mean this is how I played it out, like I think they lose the first game. I just felt like Sacramentdo is gonna make everything. This was like everybody to be like Sherman Club, Right, this is thirty five years of wanting and won't it Like they've been waiting for this moment forever. I feel like they were going to make every shot, and there was a stretch when they did, and now the adjustments happened. Let's see if they can handle it. I feel like Warriors get game to hold Servant home and we go back. We either go back to Sacramento tie to too, or we go back to Sacramento with them playing for their lives to stay alive. That's how I'll see it shaking out. I wouldn't be shocked though, if Sacramento one.
Speaker 2: I think any Laker fans saw it coming, like you gotta win. In Memphis, energy was low early and this team isn't you know, they're not Sacramento young, They're not you know, they're one of those teams like they got to be engaged. Like, is Lebron over the last two or three years really lets the game come to him?
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean the first quarters for Lebron, it's like a boxer in the first three rounds, like he feels the game out right, He's basically hoping somebody else does the heavy lifting early he's conserving energy. So when Anthony Davis can't hit shots and Lebron's sort of working his way into a game and it's like, oh, we trailed by fifteen, okay, Like that's where the game became very quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you put it perfectly. Every Laker fan saw this coming. This has been it. You know, this Lakers season has been such a bizarre journey, Colin, because everyone's going to focus on the fact that they've been really good since the deadline, and they have and like so good that they've deserved the attention that they've received in a way that they may not have deserved the attention they've received in the previous year. And a half. It was more of just like everyone watching the ship crash and burn, you know. But there have been two really interesting stretches this season that I think are very very under discussed, I should say, to get the Lakers where they were. There's a stretch where Lebron James missed extended time and Anthony Davis carried the team. Actually two stretches like that, but the big one the foot issue towards the end of the year. And then there was the stretch where Anthony Davis missed a ton of time and Lebron James stepped in. And in each of those stretches, Lebron and ad the one that was available put forth incredibly desperate basketball, playing at the absolute top of their games to drag the team to wins, just to float things long enough until the trade deadline could happen, or until Lebron James could return, right, And every single time there has been a return, they've collectively exhaled, and they I don't play well as the favorite. It's basically what I'm saying. When Lebron James came back, they immediately lost to Chicago because they didn't think they had to play as hard as they did they lost that desperation and yeah, this game textbook. They go out there in Game one, they dominate that game, and it was I heard a lot of people saying it wasn't as close as it looked. I agree, But did anybody think Memphis was winning Game one or did it feel like the Lakers controlled it throughout? They controlled it throughout right, But then after that game they flipped from being a slight underdog in the series to being a slight favorite in the series than John Morant's out and Lebron James and Anthony Davis are two players that liked to do the absolute bare minimum to win basketball games. They tried that tonight. And that's a young, scrappy Memphis team that's always played super well at home. They played super physical, really bothered the Lakers, particularly around the rim, and they got a big win.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is they are a better defensive team. Memphis is when jaws not on the floor and the ball moves better. And I've said this before, I said it today on FS one. I said, flashy point guards like sports cars. They're not built for bad weather or a trip cross country, but god, they're fun, really fun. Trey Young, you'll throw even Steph Curry and Steph Curry, Trey Young, John Wall, John Morant, Dereck Rose. They are players that get exposed defensively. They're usually a little I mean, they're all a little thin, a little light. Westbrook was more stocky, but again he plays defense when he feels like it. But when you get these Jahn Morant type players, is they're exhilarating and ball movement slows down. You kind of stare, you, kind of watch Derrick Rose perform, watch John Wall, and they're not great. They give you so much energy on the offensive end, they don't give you a ton on the defensive end. Now, Steph Curry and the Warriors, they've built the team Draymon Clay when he was a great defender. They bring in Gary Payton, they see his weaknesses and they build around him. But when I watch Memphis, and I've seen this now three years, Tyas Jones played better defense. I've seen this the last you know, ten times that he's played. They're a better defensive team. He's not a great scorer, but the forwards and the wings move the ball really, really, really well. And by the way, I remember John Wall years ago a missing games for the Wizards. They won like nine or ten straight. It doesn't mean Wall's not great, but you know, everybody then feels like when the flashy point guards out, hey, I'm gonna get touches tonight, like I'm going to be included in this game plan, and you really want to play well, showing the coaches Okay, when the guy comes back, I want touches. And I think Memphis tonight played a lot of energy, moved it really really well. Everybody just the ball moves better. And it's not a knock on John Rant. He's exhilarating. But I see this sometimes even with the Warriors, Like sometimes if Draymond's not setting screens, it's a lot of guys watching Steph do is you know, Harlem globetrotter ball movement flying around And I just I looked at me Emphis tonight, and I'm like, they're a good team without Jaw. They're a different team, but they're a good team without him.
Speaker 3: The way you broke it down is perfect, Like it's a there's a baseline kind of like fundamental list of things that if you do well as a basketball team, you have a chance to win no matter what right, Like, even without a top tier superstar, if you can protect the rim really well, if you compete really hard in all of the effort and energy parts of the game, like sliding your defensively on the perimeter, beating guys to the to the rim on help situations, crashing the offensive glass, crashing the defensive glass. Just by playing super hard and having a couple of baseline pieces that you need, you can win in the NBA, especially since a lot of these NBA players are good. Like we spend a lot of time talking about role players in the Shortcomings, but a lot of these guys were all conference dudes in college and guys who average twenty five thirty points a game in high school. So if you give them close out situations, even against good NBA defenses, they're gonna be able to score. And so if you don't guard the ball and you give give up dribble penetry, the guys are attacking closeouts all night long, they're going to score. That's why, Like, honestly, from a schematic standpoint, watching this game, I remain extremely confident that the Lakers are going to win the series. The only thing that really stood out to me schematically was the Jared Vanderbilt problem, and it too, it's twofold. Half of it is Jared Vanderbilt and the fact that he's such a non threat offensively that Memphis can stick Jared Jackson on him and just muck everything up underneath the basket. But the flip side of it is Ruey Hatchimura is ascending in front of us. This is something that has We've seen the two twenty point point game, the two twenty plus point games in this series, but it actually extends backwards a few weeks now. His original His initial tenure with the Lakers went a little bit rough. He got moved to the bench after the trade. But Phil hand he's been working with him relentlessly before games and in practice on polishing up some things in his skill set. He's been working with Darvin Ham really hard to find little areas of the game where he can impact the game. Defensively, He's become kind of a sneaky, solid help defender under the rim, blocking shots, grabbing contested rebounds. They're gonna he's big. He's big, he's huge. They're gonna slide him into that starting lineup at some point in this playoff run, maybe even in Game three of this series, and I think they're gonna cut way back on Jared Vanderbilt's minutes. That was really the only schematic thing that bothered me, uh or concerned me. I should say about the Lakers, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I will say they didn't play well. Started slow, were on the road, ad didn't give you much offensively, and they were in the game with two minutes ago. You know, I mean, when the Knicks play poorly, they get rolled Miami, not even Yannis on the Florida Nights getting rolled. Lakers were on the road without or with John Morant. Memphis is a very upper echelon team, and they competed, and they really didn't play their best basketball. It was like, I since the trade, I think they're much more competitive team. I think they have more options. I like, I watched the night and I thought, you very early, it's like, it's not going to be their night. It's not going to be their night. But they competed, they hung in the game. You know, it wasn't a blowout. They were you know, there was a little brief moment with about four and a half five left, You're like, oh, okay, we got it. It's six. So My takeaway is go back home, win both games. Jaw's not going to be playing much in this series, and the faster you can close it out the better because this is this is Lebron. James is old and you can see it like he can't go seven game series or they'll pay for it next series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the way you broke it down is perfect. Like the there's a competitiveness that you'd like to see when a team loses that shows them that they're just a victim of victims, not even the right word, but just shows them that this is a natural ebb and flow in the series. From the point that the Grizzlies went up sixty six to forty six, they were up twenty. This was the early third quarter. I thought the Lakers really controlled the rest of that game. They just were a little bit too far away, especially with Dangel Russell being incapable of making a shot. Anthony Davis was missing everything around the basket. They just didn't quite have the offensive firepower tonight to make up for the hole that they dug themselves. But once they locked in defensively in that second half, they got plenty of stops. Now the problem is and you just said this, and this is so important this particular Lakers team. Rest is going to be key for them, and dying this series quickly is so important because there will be long series ahead. The next series against Sacramento of Golden State probably a longer series because the Lakers struggle with transition defense and the way that they run their coverage is going to leave some things open for the Kings guards and the Warriors guards. In the conference finals against a team like Phoenix or the Clippers or Denver, they're going to be in for a long series. Whoever comes out of the West or East. That's a six or seven game series. So if they could buy little tiny chunks of like three or four days off here or there for Broughn and Anthony Davis to rest ending this series in five would go a long way towards that. So, Colin, everyone was accusing us of backing up our volume guy, which I think is ridiculous because it's just.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's gotten into everybody, Colin, because I feel like this is the most reasonable opinion in the world, and everyone's calling me immoral. You know how it goes. But I could see the case for the I could see the case for the ejection. Now I disagreed with it, but I could see the case, and the case was Draymond's history fair. I thought the decision to suspend him was completely outrageous. Where did you land on that?
Speaker 2: The reality is if I went up and punched you, and you punched me back, and you knocked me out and I just grazed you, you could say, well, he started it, and that's a real defense. If you broke into my house and I shot you and you had a terrible injury, and maybe maybe I didn't need to be as violent. Again to you, I would say, he broke into my house, right, Sabonis got a technical and initiated the circus. Draymond pulling out then added to it. But that's a real defense, which is you know, he's swung first, or he broke in, or he grabbed my leg. So to me, that's not why they threw him out for the next game. I believe at my core because Sabonis a started it and played the remaining seven and a half minutes. He was fine. And you know, again, if there would have been an injury, then there's a different component. But I think and I don't blame Adam Silver for this. Deep in the DNA of the NBA, the Malice at the Palace was their darkest moment. And when Draymond got up as a road player and started taunting the crowd and Adam Silver's in the building, I think that's a non starter. If you're at Chase Center, it's different. But if you're on the road, Adam's there, he hears those fans, he sees the double birds. He It's like, no way, we're not going there. That even though I defended the players in Malice of the Palace because if you went back and looked at the people and the fans involved, many of them had criminal records. They were just there to be trouble. I defended run our Test. I defended the players because I would have been terrified to be in an arena, an opposing arena. But it does matter what arena it is. You can't do that on the road in a hostile playoff environment, Jason, you just can't do it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: There's the old saying you can't yell fire in a crowded theater. You can't. So I think Silver being there, and cause you know, when Draymond's doing that. Adam's hearing those fans and he's seeing those double birds and he's like, I'm not going there repercussions. Again, Draymond's a veteran, He's not a rookie. Like you could see a rookie losing their shit.
Speaker 1: You could.
Speaker 2: I mean, seriously, a nineteen year old kid gets worked up. This is a wise NBA sage. You know, Draymond's been in these wars forever. So I think it's like resume road insiding. Because I'm with you, if you do something first, you do have a right a cheap shot. To me, you do have a right to cheap shot back. And that would have easily been two technicals keep playing. But that that crowd and that even somebody said it today on my show. I forget who it was, but it was me. Have been Sam Amick. He just said, you know, if he'd just run through the tunnel, it would have felt different. Just I'm out out.
Speaker 1: It was like.
Speaker 2: Ninety seconds of come on, you want a piece of me.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it.
Speaker 3: Well, there are things that are debatable about this, and there are things or not debatable, Like the debatable side of it is should he have been suspended. Sure, you know, like we can go back and forth about that. Here's what's not debatable. Draymond brought this on himself and his team. That goes like, regardless of what the decision making process was, the risk was willingly took on by Draymond with his behavior and especially what you're talking about after the timeout, because again, like and I think I think it's a complicated topic, and I know you've talked about this a little bit on your show, yeaally, but like the dynamic between the fans and players is super complicated because like, you're heated, you're super competitive, and you're riled up, and now some dudes saying some wildly disrespectful stuff from to you, like twenty feet away, and there's really like this barrier between you that extends beyond the distance. It's also like Adam Silver standing there between you because it could literally mess up your entire season and everything that you and your team are trying to build towards. But again, like there's a difference between like I think I personally would not have suspended him. That said, that's a debate, that's a fair debate. There's no question that Draymond brought it on himself at least through his decision making process and knowing what kind of history he had. Now with this series gets really interesting from here. I don't think it's overcallin and I'm still pretty confident that Golden State's gonna win. I know it sounds crazy, but a couple of different things. They kind of started to figure out some stuff in Game two that I believe might have led them to a victory had Draymond been able to stay in the game. When Andrew Wiggins is on the floor and when Gary Payton is on the floor, they have straightforward matchups for Fox and Monk and they're actually doing a decent job containing him there. Then they have to go to pick and roll to get rid of the on ball defender, and Draymond is blowing all of that stuff up as the screen defender. At the end of the game, they had to go to Looney and then they went to pick and roll, and Looney couldn't stop anybody at the rim, so that ended up being the problem problem. But functionally from the lineup, you can kind of see the two teams finding their five that works. The Kings are going with Davion Mitchell because he can guards death credibly right. And then they're going with Malik Monk and Deer and Fox with Harrison Barnes and Demanta Sabonis. With the Warriors, it's Draymond with Andrew Wiggins and then Gary Payton Stephen Clay. That's where they've got their lineups that are working. That's where these two teams are going to go down with the ship. If the Warriors can survive Game three, which is totally possible with how well they play in front of their home crowd even without Draymond, especially against the King's team that cannot be overly physical sometimes. If they can survive Game three, Draymond comes back for Game four, I believe they will win that game on the road. In Game five, as long as they can stay in it long enough to get to their core lineup at the end, I think they have a really good chance to win this series. As bad as Golden State was on the road in Sacramento, expects Sacramento to look just as bad in Golden State.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, Well, what I worry about without draim On He's a great passer on the offensive end. He's also a great screen setter, and he's now they have plenty of smart players, but he does add an intellect. He's just got a real good sense. I mean, it's all this sort of intellectual bandwidth the Celtics play with. When you've got four guys who are on the floor for six years, Like the Celtics passing is excellent. Whereas Atlanta's got a new GM, a new coach, a new system. I mean, it's just a bunch of new parts. And I think, I think when I watch the Warriors with Draymon's Steph Clay on the floor, Man, there are times it's just they can really read each other's minds. And that's the kind of capital that load management eats away at. It's what I mean. We've talked about this. It's why the Clippers sometimes in a half court set are amful to watch. There's no play together. So if they can get through this game, I agree with you. But man, sometimes without Draymond, the passing's not as the ball movements not quite as good. You know, Clay is not a great ball handler, and now he's not a great defender, so you get two different versions of Clay. There's catch and shoot, and he's hot at home, Clay great, and then there's on the road struggling handling the ball, guys blowing by him. You know, you used to kind of know with Clay that if he wasn't on, you got a great defender. Now and he's not on, you get a sometimes a suboptimal ball handler and defender. So his game doesn't necessarily you'd think, because he's a catch and shoot guy, his game would age well. But he's got to play better. He and Jordan Poole have got to help Steph. Jordan Pool's been awful in the series. Awful.
Speaker 3: I agree, you're the Draymon thing is certainly a threat. And this is where I fundamentally disagree with the suspension, Like, make the Kings go earn the damn series, make them go beat Golden State in Golden State, make them beat him with Draymond, like especially on it, like especially I've been getting on my soapbox again. I didn't like that that suspension at all, Like because now if the Kings win the series, it's gonna feel a little cheap, but it is.
Speaker 2: You know, Jason, I've always felt I will always give an athlete a pass in the moment. Tom Brady yelling at a coach, Peyton Manning barking, I'll always give an athlete they can leave their body. It's an out of body experience. Emotionally, I mean, your testosterone's going you've been putting. So the Draymond kick, it's like, I get it. That's his style. He's the bouncer at the night club. He's a tough guy. It's the Okay, I've been ejected. Now I'm gonna go and taunt the crowd. Come on, you're a mid thirty year old player, Like, like, I have a right to be mad if I'm on the air and somebody doesn't roll the tape and I'm barking, But three minutes later, I've got to go, Okay, we have a show to do. Take a deep breath, get over yourself. Let's do the show. So I that part, I'll defend Draymond in the moment guy grabs your foot, you stomp him back. I'll defend him forever on that. But you got to know better already, four to thirty five year old guy on the road to get that crowd riled up, Like, that's just not the play.
Speaker 3: I can't argue with anything. You're saying, Colin, So I'm gonna change. I'm gonna change my take as a basketball fan. I'm annoyed that Draymond's not playing in Game three. How about that? Right, We'll just go with that.
Speaker 1: So that's I do.
Speaker 3: I do still think. I think that if the Warriors can survive the Draymond suspension in Game three, I think they still have a very good chance to win the series. So Clippers versus Suns, this is the series that I have been most wrong about in my pre playoffs previews. I expected the Clippers to get swept. They very much did not, as they went into Phoenix and stole game one. You know what's interesting about this series, Colin? The numbers coming out of of the like kind of shot profile stuff does not look good for Phoenix. This is wild. So the Suns have attempted just seventeen shots excuse me, nineteen shots in the restricted area in this series, and the Clippers have attempted thirty seven, so like almost double and then in wide open threes, which by NBA dot Com is factored in as defender at least six foot six feet away. The Clippers have also generated about twice as many as the Suns. The reasons why this, the reason why the Suns won Game two is what's the other shot that's available. So, if you're not scoring at the rim and you're not making these kickout threes to guys that are wide open, it's contested pull up off the dribble long jump shots in the mid range.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: What's crazy is the Suns shot thirty five percent in effective field goal percentage on pull up jump shots in game one and they lost. They shot sixty one percent effective field goal percentage on pull up jump shots off the dribble in Game two and they won. And so everything for me for the Suns comes down to can they continue to knock down these tough, contested pull up jump shots.
Speaker 1: And I'm just not.
Speaker 3: I believe they'll make enough to beat the Clippers, but I after two games feel less confident than ever that the Sons can get out of the conference because they're just not generating enough easy shots.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel these are opposite teams. The Clippers have depth but are missing a star. The Sons have stars and are missing depth. And when they made the move to get KD, you had to give up Michale Bridges. That was the gem but they gave up two other players, and one of those players had twenty eight the other night for Brooklyn against Philadelphia. And when I watch the Suns, I feel I said this on TV today, they're a guy shy. If I just said Norman Powell's on the Suns, I'm like, okay, they're a finals team. I almost think they're tentative defensively because they know they can't get into foul trouble. Chris Paul's backup is hurt and he may not play in Game three. Booker doesn't really have a backup. They don't really have have backups for their stars, and it almost makes them a little tentative defensively, Whereas the Clippers have depth, play really hard defensively. Westbrook gets in foul trouble, you can throw in man Norman Powell, they go. They've got depth. So I think it makes them play a little more tentative defensively. Monty Williams knows that we can't go to the bench early. We just can't. And the other thing is Chris Paul's the one guy that needs a break and until his backup comes in who's been out, that's I know he may play in Game three. But I think that's a big thing. Like Chris at this point in his career need to spell. And so when I've been watching Chris Paul in the second half, his jumpers are short. His just stuff that went in three years ago is just not there, and it's I mean it was the other night he missed a couple seventy eight footage. I'm like, that was a seventy percent shot three years ago, Like just Chris didn't miss those. So I feel like I feel like to get Kevin Durant, they had to give away a bunch of picks and three dudes. If they give away two, they can be more aggressive on the defensive end. You could rest guys. I mean, they're gonna have to play Durant and Booker, They're gonna have to play them forty minutes. That's who they are now, That's who they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I said this before the playoffs, and I still feel very strongly about this, Like I have no idea what's gonna happen with this Sun's team, but I do know what's gonna happen this summer. They're gonna sign somebody and it's gonna be like, hey, listen, do you want to be a start the starting forward, like guaranteed starting spot alongside Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, Chris Paul Deandraton. They're gonna be able to pitch that position like that using the mid level exception or whatever contract they decide to offer, and they are going to get some massively underpaid forward that can play on both ends of the floor that wants to just go win a championship next to the two of them. They're gonna get two or three more veteran minimum contracts that kind of follow a similar similar mold, and they're gonna be awesome next year. I feel very strongly about that. This team is kind of playing with house money a little bit because I think I think the expectations are a little lower on them because of that. The minutes thing is complicated because I'm less concerned about it on the offensive end, because workload matters, Like splitting a heavy duty shot creation workload between just Kyrie and Lebron. That can get a little fatiguing and you need an other worldly athlete like Lebron to survive that. But like all of a sudden, you throw a third guy in there, and it's like they're haters. Splitting those duties three ways, it becomes a little more achievable. The defensive end is where is where you hit the nail on the head. You can't win a title in the NBA without playing elite defense. You can't play elite defense without committing to devote physical resources to it. And when you devote physical resources to it to the tune of forty four minutes a night, one of two things is going to happen. They're either going to not devo the necessary physical resources to it and coast and not reach the defensive ceiling they need to reach. Or they're going to pour in the necessary effort for forty four minutes to get stops and they're gonna suffer on the offense and end when they're fatigued. So like, that's where it gets difficult, and I don't really have a good answer for them. Kevin Durant famously said this after they lost to the to the Bucks in at Crazy Game seven, that won't his toe is on the line. I don't know if you remember the turner on tipper he said that.
Speaker 1: Of course he said this.
Speaker 3: After the series he goes, everyone thinks if I was won the inch further back, we would have won the championship. He's like, that was the second round. He's like, he's like we had He's like James Harden was playing on a bad hamstring. Kyrie was completely unavailable. I had to create every single shot. He's like, we were winning the title that year. Like it's just too much to ask a guy to do that that much without any depth behind it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if they get paying the backup to Chris Paul, I think if they get him back, I think that helps, you know, like there's like I don't know what he plays eighteen minutes, sixteen minutes. That helps a little bit. But I to your point, they'll get a couple of mid level exemptions, and they'll get a couple of veterans that want to win, you know, like the Heat did when they went and grabbed like Ray Allen. You'll get a guy like that that's like, man, I just want a title. When David West came to the Warriors, there's a guy out there that like can give you like twelve really good minutes in the postseason. Jay Crowder's bounced around and become kind of like that guy. At the end of his career, so, and they Jay Crowder got moved in that Brooklyn deal. So it's like, so, you know Michale Bridges, yes, And then you start moving a couple other pieces and you look up and it's like, oh, Cam Johnson dropped almost thirty against Holy and you're like, they need that so bad. The volume. Make sure to check out The Draymond Green Show. I brought Draymond Green into the volume because one of the more entertaining voices in sports. Unique perspective understands behind the rope also chops up with guests like Gary Payton, Zach Levine, Tracy McGrady. Make sure download The Draymond Green Show wherever you get your podcasts, only on the Volume podcast Network