Speaker 1: I miss the green.
Speaker 2: For example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 3: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my ball.
Speaker 3: In a fried Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday fridagg Friday Bride.
Speaker 2: Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnson, and today I am joined by a singer songwriter, Drew Holcombe. He is Drew Holcomb of Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors. They have an Americana band, a very popular band, and I think he was in the macys Uh Thanksgiving Parade. So Drew, before that, join me to talk about golf. He is he's like as much of a golf nut as you could possibly imagine, very into golf courses and traveling the world. So we talk about his career in music, his what got him into golf. I think it's always fun talking about these people that do other creative aspects of life for a living and then also play golf and what draws them to golf. So it was great chatting with Drew, and I hope you guys enjoy this podcast and everybody had a safe and fun Thanksgiving. So without further ado, here is Drew Holcot. Drew, I got to ask you. I mean, you're one of the rare people that spends more time on the road than myself, you know, your touring machine, especially this year, And what's the most memorable golf music day that you've had in your life or a few of the most memorable, like where you had a combination of golf and music.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, I mean, obviously on the road, I play all the time, so there's so many, there's so many good ones.
Speaker 1: At this point. I've made a lot of friends around the country.
Speaker 3: So whenever I get to play somewhere and you know, have a match and beat a friend anywhere on the road, it sort of like starts to starts the day with the wind, you know. This last fall I got to play. I get to play a lot of really cool places, but I've never played Minnicotta up in Minneapolis, and I went out there and had the best round of my year. And what was that? That was fine, It was a great golf course, great day. But I got the headline first avenue that night, which is probably a top five most famous rock club in the country. Prince made it famous and so that was a pretty banner day. You know, go out shoot the round of the year, then get on stage and you know, sold out room and have a good old have a good old night. So but my favorite day I've ever had was as a fan. When I turned thirty five, I took a bunch of buddies. We went out to see Tom Petty at Red Rocks. But the the golfing crew, which was about half of the of the of the crew. We went a day early into an overnight at Ballet Neil, so you know, had had a big night ballt Neil and the Pudding Green, played eighteen holes. All that spent the night, got out, played eighteen had a good match, drove a couple hours, went to a brewery and then went to you know, saw Tom Petty at Red Rock. And this was about six months before he died. So I don't think, you know, I don't think I'll ever beat that as far as as a fan, you know, I've had some pretty pretty great experiences playing golf and then playing shows at night.
Speaker 1: Though, mean it's kind of thee.
Speaker 3: The secret that everybody knows is that all of us musicians love to play golf, uh, you know, so we get to play a lot of great spots and meet a lot of great people. And I it's definitely one of the things I had no idea. I mean, I wasn't even a golfer when I started playing music, so it's all been a big surprise to me.
Speaker 2: I got to ask, you know, you put your you're into golf architecture, You're super into golf courses. Do you you brought up too like historic venues? Is the feeling of before a show similar to like the feeling before you go play a great golf course when you play at one of those venues, Like do you do you get up?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What what's it like when you're playing music at a historical venue? And is it at all similar to the to the feeling golfers get when they get to go those places?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, I think that it's a lot of It's like what I would call just the ghosts. You know, you're when you're when you're playing a Ryman or Red Rocks or Troubadour or I mean, honestly, every town in America has these rooms. Like I was just talking to my manager about the Spring tour, and we're getting to play some really historic spots. We're playing the Fillmore in San Francisco, We're playing the nine thirty Club in DC, the Bowery in New York. You know, two nights of the Rhymen and and so on and so forth, and those nights kind of get circled on the on the calendar more than just any other show. And so it's probably how like it's probably how pro golfers feel when they're going to get to play pebble, or when they're going to get to play Augusta or you know, how these amateurs are getting it, you know, when an event is that seminole or college player, Like I'm a big I went to University Tennessee and they just got to play a college invitational. I'm on their email list and all that and at Cyprus and I'm imagining all those kids. It's not just another day. It's you know, it's a it's a magical spot. And I feel that same way as a golfer. I think the difference is for me, I actually get a little more nervous playing a great golf course because I don't know if I'm going to do very well, whereas at this point in my career with my band, I mean every show is going to be an eight from like a professionalism standpoint. You know, I'm not going to get up there and I'm not gonna I don't get the shanks on stage.
Speaker 2: You know, has anybody ever gotten like the figure of golf shanks and music? Like what would that be? What would that even be?
Speaker 1: Well, for sure there's a couple of them.
Speaker 3: One when you're in let's say Little Rock and you say, how you doing Fayetteville, Which that's happened to me. Not to be fair, I had a three month old on the road with me and I'd slept like two hours the night before of three kids, so you know they've they've seen a lot of that as well. And then forgetting words, which I do all the time. I forget lyrics often. And then when you when your body gets tired and you can't hit notes, I mean that's pretty That's like when you when you see people cancel shows. That's like the music version of the w D. You know, it's like I need to go home. I can't sing. So definitely happens.
Speaker 2: See your reference. You you weren't a golfer before you got into music. What got you into golf really was music.
Speaker 3: I kept getting invited to play all these great spots, and and I had golf clubs. I had a pair of a set of ping I two's. I mean, my lowest wedge was a pitching wedge, you know. And a couple of things happened one year, probably fifteen years ago. In the same year, I got invited to play Oakland Hills in Detroit, and I was in my pocket on twelve holes, just making a fool of myself, and then I just thought, man, I can't. I've got to learn how to play this game if I'm going to keep getting invited to these great spots. And then secondly, I got invited to play in a celebrity pro am and I was paired with It was a celebrity pro prorams.
Speaker 1: I was with Harris English.
Speaker 3: I just met him and he's looking at my clubs and he's like, you had a decent swing, Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: You know? And I had this I had this lie. I never forget.
Speaker 3: I had a lie that was I had hit over a bunker to a tight pin and all I have was a pitching wedge and he's like, so let me explain to you, like this is impossible. You can't do this anymore. And so those were a couple of things. That was probably I don't know two thousand and I don't know nine or ten eight or something like that. And then the other thing was I have two really close friends here in Nashville that are really good players. One kind of is around a plus two and the other's probably a two or three. And I just got tired of embarrassing myself, and so I just decided to get better. And the road is a perfect job for golf because I'm not asking my wife to go play while I'm home. I'm already out here, I'm already gone, so I might as well play golf. And I don't have sound check till four o'clock.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you work at night, so it's like.
Speaker 1: At work at night. So it's a perfect job for somebody wants to get into the game.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask, what's your split on like golf on the road versus home? Percentage wise? How much more golf do you play on the road than at home.
Speaker 3: It's probably on an average year, probably sixty five thirty five road versus home. So it's it's pretty it's significant. Yeah, that's you know, because I'm hung a lot. I'm hung a lot more than I am on the road.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But and the interesting thing to me too, that's been fun is golfers love music, right, so I get invited. Let's say I get invited to go play somewhere in Dallas and have a good time. And you know, I always say I get invited the first time because of music. I get invited back because I play fast, you know. So I'm like a very fast player, even when I was bad. I mean I was. I was a fifteen handicap a decade ago when I got you know, and now you know, a much better player. But uh, I get invited and just keep up and not be slow. But then these guys would say, oh, well, I got a friend in Oklahoma City. I saw you're playing there tomorrow. Do you want to play golf there? Sure? You know, And it just kind of steamrolled, and now I know golfers pretty much every town we play in.
Speaker 2: I bet, I bet That's the thing. It's probably almost a challenge because you sometimes want to go see new places, but you've got these friends that you go every time and they come to the show and it's like, you know, it's an amazing probably just you know, it makes for great days and it's always easier to play with people that you know, right, you go back to.
Speaker 3: Totally, well, I think if you can, if you have the option of playing with a good friend. For instance, let's say I've got a great friend who hosts me every time I go to Chicago out at out at you know Chicago golf, which you know is for for most folks and myself included, before I knew him, was an ungettable you know. And so I start playing with him, and now we actually have fun and we have a good match and we're talking trash the whole time. And so when somebody, some strangers, like, hey, do you want to play this other great course in town?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Think I'd rather just go play with my buddy.
Speaker 2: You know, it's the hard the hard thing. You got to have longer trips or something, but or do most You got to get to the point where you're like Taylor Swift, playing like three shows every time you're in a city.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, I need to get into the residency model so I can try out all the other golf courses.
Speaker 2: How did you get better at golf? Because I played with you, you're a good player.
Speaker 1: I got better.
Speaker 3: I mean at first it was just a lot of reps and then watching good players play. And then I got to be like about a ten or eleven. And I joined a club here in town, and you know, I was breaking ninety every once in a while and had you know, streaky moments, and so I go, I decided to get my first lesson. And so the guy's taking some videos of the iPad and he says, okay, so what's what's the goal?
Speaker 1: What do you what do you want here?
Speaker 3: You know, it's probably twelve at the time, And I said, man, I'd like to be like a single digit player. And he goes, okay, but like you want to be a nine or you want to be a two? And I was like, I mean, I'd love to be able to get down to a two or three, you know, And he goes, okay, if you want to be a nine, I got a handful of things we can start working on. He goes, if you want to be a two, we got to start over.
Speaker 2: So did you start over?
Speaker 1: So I started over.
Speaker 3: I had one of those big you know, inside out cuts, just you know, just a big old cut swing, and he made me completely get rid of that and go to more of an outside end draw swing.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing that it really helped.
Speaker 3: I've played a lot of golf with two PGA Tour guys in particular, Scott Stallings and Kevin Kissner, and both of them have been very generous to basically turn every time we play into kind of a teaching round and just little things like game management, decision making, sand shots. I've gotten really good with the sixty degree and short game and hitting, you know, getting I'm not just just always tweaking, and also don't take it super seriously. So I think I'm willing to try a lot of new things out on the golf course because you know, I play enough to where it's okay if you go out there and make a fool of yourself every now and then.
Speaker 2: So I feel like what you said that the stuff. You know, a lot of times people look to PGA Tour players for like technique stuff, but like what you said about just game game management, that's what they're the best in the world at, is just getting a ball around a golf course like it's amazing to watch a guy effectively slap it around and it's like, oh, he shot sixty seven today and he didn't play great. What's the right? What is there a piece of game management advice that is stuck with you from either of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think.
Speaker 3: I mean I used to be a pin hunter, you know. And Scott's the best because he's really sarcastic. I mean, so his kids are. They're both like big trash talkers. But Scott will wait till I make a mistake and then he'll say, all right, all right, all right, so tell me about that decision, you know. And I'm like, well, I thought I could, you know, I thought I could cover the right side draw it into that type pin. And he's like, yes, see, you don't have that shot. I mean, you have it, but it's like one out of ten times. He's like, why didn't you just hit a little cut to the left on the left side of the big side of the green and then and then you'd be putting for Birdie right now. Instead, you short sided yourself and you're really gonna be working hard for this bogie, you know. So I just love the the Scott's way of teaching me. It was just like make let's let you make a mistake, and then just kind of always reminded me that I'm not a professional.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's that's that's that's one. My favorite thing with Kissner was when covid started. Uh, we were both bored when the tour was still not doing anything early early on and I'm a part of the swetens Cove ownership group and a very very very small piece, but still a part of it, and so he had not played it, and I said, why don't we do like a little Instagram live match. And at that point we'd probably played golf together maybe a half dozen times, and it was always funkrt like you know, casual cart and beer golf, which is like his specialty when he's not on tour. So he pulls up to the to the parking lot and our wives are going to film him. His wife on his Instagram, my wife on mine, and it's nine home match. I'm getting five shots, which I should have gotten six or seven.
Speaker 2: I feel like you should have gotten like eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well based on how he played. So he shows up and he's in full tour regalia, he's got his sponsor stuff, on everything, and I'm you know, I'm like, hey man, what's uh, what's up with the like all the gear, you know, all the all the logos today And he's like, hey man, showtown today. And he had like a different countenance that every the time we played, and he goes eagle Birdie, Birdie Bertie, and I'm four down.
Speaker 1: I was just like this is all on the internet.
Speaker 3: Just like, okay, well this was not the friendly fundraising round that I thought we were going to have. So that was a public a public evisceration that I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: What a good sponsor man, what a good guy for the sponsors. He's wearing his full gear even on an off Yeah, now he knew get it.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't off day, but we were.
Speaker 3: It was a fundraiser for COVID relief for like unemployed folks, and so his sponsors had all been sort of preemptively generous, you know. So it was a it was a it was a thoughtful flex.
Speaker 2: How did you get into the Sweeten's cove the that like what was the decision making and like how did that just come about?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I was a pretty early adopter because it's not that far from Nashville, and I remember the very early even before it was finished, there was like a PDF floating around, you know, Nashville, the sort of Nashville golf scene. It's like, hey, there's some guys building a nine holer, you know, like redoing this course. We should go check it out. It's you know, maybe we should. You know, there was like a membership thing at the time. There was at first it was maybe it was going to be private. Who knew what it was going to be. So I went down This is back when you could rent the property out for like twelve hundred dollars a day, and there was literally just a you know, you went in the early days, there's just one single porta potty. And so I went down there and it was a fundraiser for something and a bunch of guys rented out and I just fell in love with the golf course and started going down there, I don't know, maybe quarterly or two or three times every year.
Speaker 1: And then found out.
Speaker 3: That and in parallel track to that, I had gotten to know Andy Roddick through through golf as well. We have a mutual friend that had introduced us and we actually played for the first time at Sweeten's and then this was like three months after you know, a Hoopie had opened, and then the same group went down there and Rob Collins went with us to play a hoopie and obviously fell in love with it. But that at that at that Hangy Andy and a bunch of other guys had just bought Sweeten's Cove with Peyton Manning, and you know, everybody knows the story.
Speaker 1: It's all it's all over all over the internet.
Speaker 3: And they still had a couple of like investors slots and they said, you know, we're looking for somebody that loves bourbon is from Tennessee, is a musician and loves golf.
Speaker 2: It's like they were targeting you.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, like, I think there's only maybe maybe one of those, and that's me, So so I kind of jumped at the opportunity to get involved. And it's been really neat to see. I mean, obviously, you know, the National Press yourself included, really put the story on the map. But with some you know, sort of better funding and more sort of thoughtful management, the property is really just doing it awesome.
Speaker 1: And we get people from all.
Speaker 3: Over the world, really all over the world that come to have as it's now one of those you know, it's some one of those pilgrimages that people can take, and it's one of the pilgrimages that hasn't been you know, hasn't been milked for every penny that you know, the pebbles and sawgrasses of the world have become.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean it's I think it's an amazing testament. I think rightfully so to a certain degree, the Internet, social media and everything is right now, you know, people are like, is this really good for the society? Right, and a lot of different industries have changed. But in terms of independent golf course ownership, the idea of a nine hole golf course in the middle of nowhere becoming a literal tourist destination across the world. People coming like, I mean people I talk to people that are like, you know, from England. I went to c Sweeten's Cove, Like it's just unbelievable that this nine hole golf course in the middle of nowhere that didn't have a clubhouse, didn't have like you know, it still doesn't have a clubhouse, but has a little bit more and a little bit I feel like it's a clubhouse now. Compared to what it was, but like it became this, like this destination place is an amazing thing from you know, just the fact of discovery that the Internet creates. So for all the there are a lot of negatives, I always fall back on things like that as like this is the positive because this golf course probably wouldn't have existed or continue to exist if it wasn't for you know, the ability for people to discover places. And I imagine there's some parallels with that with music, where there's stuff that you don't love about the Internet but also has been you know, wonderful for your career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's absolutely true.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, before we started, before we push record, I was just sharing a little bit about how I was. I was a little bit of a late bloomer. The music that I made early on didn't connect. Really. My third or fourth record was the one that finally started connecting with an actual audience of fans. And that wouldn't that would not have been enough. I wouldn't have had that kind of time in the earlier sort of record label era, pre streaming, pre iTunes and all that, and so I'm certainly grateful for the era that I'm in. You know, that said the market is so flooded with music that it's hard to you know, continue to sort of stand out. But you know, like like a like probably true in your world as well. There's you know, you're not going to get everybody, but you just got to super serve the people that you've got, you know. And and that's why the touring thing is so important for us, because it's it's you know, it's the way we connect with the people who really are more than just casually listening to a twenty second clip on an Instagram reel. You know, these are people who've made plans and spent money to come see a show and have a have an experience with a group a room full of strangers.
Speaker 2: So honestly, one of like, you know, I think about drawbacks to my life and entrepreneurship, and I would not trade what I decided to do when I started this company for really anything. But one of the things that I greatly greatly miss is that I used to go to like, you know, like a dozen concerts a year, and that number has greatly greatly shrunk and obviously some of its life, but a lot of it's just entrepreneurship and the time demands of it. It's like there's nothing better than going to a live live music and just that whole experience. And as you said, like I'm you get a craft and experience for people when you're putting on a show, Like how are they? How are ways that you get better at crafting experience as your career goes on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll take a couple of things for example that it were like I had major sort of growth spurts. I think a recent one for me has been a very simple thing. I used to always have a guitar. I mean, if I was on stage, I had a guitar. And over the last two record cycles, especially this one, and there are multiple songs on the new record where I don't need the guitar so I can just you know, grab the mic and just get off the mic stand and like work the crowd. Which if you had told you know, twenty three year old making his first record Drew that he would ever do that, he would be like, oh no, no, no, no, definitely not doing that.
Speaker 1: I'm not an entertainer. I'm just a songwriter guy.
Speaker 3: And I've really embraced being an entertainer I've embraced that part of the show. And then the one I would say before that, maybe go back ten years, you know, the development of my of my voice. Like when I started, I only understood myself as an artist as really just as the voice is just this sort of practical vehicle to get the song out, because to me, I always thought of myself first and primarily a songwriter. And then I really started. You got challenged by a couple of peers to hey, you've got a great voice, but you haven't developed it. You haven't learned dynamic. You know. The dynamic for those you know, you don't know a lot about music is like I can sing two things exact same pitch, exact same notes, and they be completely different. You know, like if it's like you know, ten dynamic would be like I'm going to blow your microphone off, yourself back up a little bit, but it's like, you know.
Speaker 2: You gotta find your people, you know.
Speaker 3: And then then like the one dynamic is like you gotta find your people. And inside of that those two things is a world of like emotional architecture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Didn't realize that until ten, ten, twelve years ago, And so that's been a really fun thing for me. And you know, it's like the early meets, there's like a I'll try to like the golf metaphors. Like young me was like all I want to do is hit you driver. You know, watch me hit the driver. And it's like learning how to hit the irons. And now it's like, you know, learn how to how to work the way. It's just like you develop skills that you didn't know that you need or that you didn't know you had. And that's been a really satisfying sort of creative and personal, personally satisfying and creatively satisfying.
Speaker 1: To continue to grow and to continue.
Speaker 3: To get better. I think that's you know, I think that's one things I love about golf is that there's no there's no perfection in it. There is a bit like every good round feels like you just wrote another good like a good song.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that way after shows? Like there's always things you could do a little bit better. I maybe this is a pattern for you that you just go after it and.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes and no.
Speaker 3: But I'm also a great celebrator when it goes well, like when we have a show that just feels like a total ten and the crowd feels like a ten, and the set landed just right and everything was good. I do not I'm not the guy who like, all right, everybody in the green room, we're gonna sit around and talk about what we could have done better? You know that Always I always wait till the next day. And and I'm not. I love I love working with my band because they're all pros, like I see them as peers and equal, not as you know, employees, and so that allows for a lot of collaboration and we really are like we're a team up there.
Speaker 2: Now for a quick word from our sponsor, Club Champion. Right now, Club Champion has as good of an offer as you will ever get from Club Champion. So if you use the promo code Frida Egg, you can get in one hundred dollars full bag fitting or a fifty dollars fitting of any type. So like Irons wedges, with any club purchase this is this is very cheap and it's a short time, limited holiday offer. So if you book your fitting between now and the fourth of December and the fitting is completed by January thirty, first you qualify for this one hundred dollars full bag fitting. As a reminder, Club Champion, a longtime supporter of this, is the premier club fair fitter across the country and in the United States. They also have some international locations, but really you get APGA Tour level fitting when you go to Club Champion. They have for the launch botterers, they have all they have I think fifty thousand potential shaft clubhead combinations, so you can go there and really try out everything and see what's best for you. That's the way I would approach it. That's the way I've I have approached my equipment for years. I've really trusted Club Champions since they just started getting a business. I had to be one of their first customers that are Chicago. They started in Chicago and I was getting fit by them way back, way back when I was in high school. I think this is the only way to get equipment. Go get fit, try out all the all the different options, and find the ones that's best for you. So use the promo code fried Egg. Go to Club Champion dot com book a fitting and use the promo code Friday to get a one hundred dollars full bag fitting or a fifty dollars fitting with any other type of fitting with a club purchase. So that ends on December fourth, so make sure you book that now and get it done before January thirty. First thanks to Club Champion, and now back to Drew Holcombe. Have you ever thought of like golf courses as songs? And if you have, have you ever thought that way? Could you give us some golf courses song coms?
Speaker 1: I can, I can, Yeah for sure. I love this. This is great.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna I wrote it down. I don't know why, but I was just I wrote down today golf courses that were new to me.
Speaker 2: This show well, I was gonna ask I was going to ask about that too, So.
Speaker 3: So I'll use a couple of those as like as maybe less like specific songs, but more I go with like band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, I love you can take this. I always think about this stuff because I some of the time, like what I try and think about is a lot of times like the cadence of how the holes hit, you know, into different parts, And I think about like courses that go to wait a lot different topography, like like different settings. Like one time I was thinking, I don't know if you've ever played East Hampton, you probably haven't. It's a core crunchhaw. But it's got like these like three different settings and I was like, that's like band on the Run because it's like three completely different songs in one Yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, I'm gonna go with Oakland Hills and Congressional are like Queen. They're just big stadium rock Opus Magnus, you know, very very much that way. Okay, I'm gonna go with Eagle Point down in Wilmington is like, like what's a good like Ben Harper the Innocent Criminals, like a little jammy not totally put together, really solid, a good time.
Speaker 2: You know. I think the first band I ever saw, the first concert I ever saw, I was like it was like nineteen ninety six. This was the first concert that I went to as a kid. Like it was me and my friend and it was Dave Matthew's band and Ben Harper was opening. Yes, it's just like a crazy it's like, you know, it's just funny. It's whenever I think of Ben Harper, I think about that. That was the you know I had some like marijuana that like landed on my lap and the mom of the friends that took us to the concert. I had no clue what it was. I was I was ten. I'm looking at this and I was like, what is this? It smells and the mother, the mother that took us, was like, oh my god, like freaked out and I grabbed it and I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's great.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think, like Dave Matthews would be, Oh, here, Dave Matthews is Valley Club of Monacito.
Speaker 2: All right, what's what's the what's the rationale?
Speaker 3: Just kind of super comfortable in its own skin. It's as good as anything out there, but it doesn't need all the the pomp and circumstance, not super social media savvy, just comfortable. And it's like you know, in its age, it's young enough to be fun, but doesn't isn't trying, isn't trying too hard?
Speaker 2: As a Chicago And I'm just gonna put a disclaimer. It's it's a Valley Club without without the tour bus incident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, to be fair, that wasn't Dave's fault. But yes, the people on the boat in the Chicago River might not feel the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: They They would say that their their golf course comp would be like the sixteenth that the Phoenix Open. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's the Dave Matthews went for them. Okay, wing Foot is like Tony Bennett, you know, just classic, just classic. Yeah, I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I played Leedo this year. I'm trying to figure out, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well? I thought it was Yeah, go ahead, I'll side of the comps, like, what were some things that stuck with you from these courses that you played? You've just listed off some some great new courses that you've played.
Speaker 3: Okay, So my favorites from this year that I played were that I got to play on the road were Valley Club, Sleepy Hollow, which I've never played, Liedo, the Congressional Redo, and then Wingfoot especially I had never played wing Foot and.
Speaker 1: Honestly whatever, I'll go those five, but.
Speaker 3: Wingfoot, I had never had this imagination that I had with all the other top fifteen, top ten fifteen courses.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, but I'd seen on TV a few times.
Speaker 3: It just didn't really And I think I have a tendency to kind of like courses that are not like landlocked, and I'm not as big of an in town kind of fan, like a little space and so I just never had my imagination. So I went and played it, and I was completely intoxicated by the green complex is there. I mean, as an everyday player, if you remember there, you could you could you could play there one hundred rounds and it would never feel the same based on where the pins are in the wind. And I was just very impressed. And we played it from a distance that made it that was fun enough to where we could even if we got a little bit off the fairway, we had a chance it, you know, muscling it up and but then you know, the bounce and the bounce in the greens was nuts. Well.
Speaker 2: I think I think one of the underrated things about wing Foot and like is like it's hard, it's hard to hit fairways. But like, honestly, like I think about rounds out there is like, you know, in a way, if you're if you're just talking about playing golf for fun, the idea of miss it if you hit a bad drive, there's like an excitement level of like I'm probably not gonna hit this green and then I'm gonna get a chip around these amazing greens and it's going to be like the imagination, and I think more so with any form of golf, and this could tie back to music. Is when you get the shots around the green, is when it's almost like you get to go like riff in music and go a little bit outside of the you know, the boundaries because you can hit bump shots. You can you can hit like a shot with a little bit more spin. Like that's where you can have a lot of fun in golf is around the greens. If you're assuming you're not like stressing and grinding for score, right, that's probably the most fun aspect of golf.
Speaker 3: Okay, on that note, I'm remembering something that Scott Stallings told me that has been the thing that has stuck with me the most, and it speaks speaks to this idea, if you don't hit the green is more of an attitude thing and it's a creativity thing. He told me that every missed shot around the green, you know, every every shot around the green is an opportunity to make a lifetime memory. That's right, you know, it's like an opportunity to get creative, like really thinking through you know, like great example week for number one, I went in the front left bunker and the pin was sort of middle right, and it was like, okay, you can either go kind of straight at it. It was down this little gully, either kind of just kind of get it up in the air and let it roll and go straight at it and definitely don't have a chance going near the pen, but more likely to have like a three to six footer or go left and try to run up this bowl and you're going to get it, like get it to go past the pin, but you might run it nine to ten feet past, but then you also have a better look at your line. So you know, just like that kind of stuff is really fun at that golf course because that's sort of the never ending feast of those complexes. It's just pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I was I played, I played golf at San Francisco last week and I had I had a great caddy Exavier and he just finished playing college golf and we were just, you know, the couple holes before we were laughing about like because I was asking. I asked him a couple of times like what do you think I should hit? And he was just like, I'm just gonna tell you to hit sixty every time. The sixty degree and I'm like, oh, that's not how I play. I'm not a generation ze golfer like you, you know. And we had this a little back and forth, and on the sixteenth hole there, I hit it up to like I was like fifty yards away and for anybody that's played there, anybody that hasn't played there, the green runs away really hard. And you know, he was like, you got to hit the sixty here, and I was like, ah, I'm gonna try something different. Pulled. I pulled out a nine iron and just hit this little bump and run that landed, you know, twenty yards short of the green and ran up and I mean it ran up to two three inches and he was just he just like all he could do was laugh. He's like, I would never have seen nine iron from here, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, and it's like that's the thing that's so fun, And like if I was playing in a tournament, I'm hitting a degree there. But that's the fun of like when you don't, when you're not really concerned about score, it allows you to hit more shots and it develops your game in different ways. And that's really the fun of like great architecture in My opinion is like, God, is this a golf course that I could just walk around, never never hit a shot from outside of fifty yards and have like the most fun. And that's generally what encapsulates my favorite golf courses is where there's so much interest in the greens like Wingfoot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no doubt Meth's and for whatever reason, the visual like PGA Tour or not PGA Tour, but like the professional golf history there, like the TV didn't do that, didn't do that, doesn't do that justice.
Speaker 2: Well, they just shoot stuff from too high. They almost do. They do it to Augusta in a sense too. Like you go to Augusta and it's like everybody you talk to that goes to Augusta for the first time, they're like, whoa, I can't believe the greens and the land. And it's like, well, it's because it's shot from terrible angles, right, It's I imagine you have the same thing happens when you're at venues and because you see certain angles always of venues, right, Like I get excited when I go to a concert somewhere that haven't been and I look at pictures and they're generally like the same pictures and then you get in the place and you're like, oh, like I didn't know it was like this right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way in the sound too.
Speaker 3: I mean everybody thinks that, like, oh, I was front row at so and so, and you're like it sounds like shit on the front row. It's like all you're hearing is like snare drum and like guitar amps, and you're like, go kind of near the middle by the sound guy, close your eyes and that's what's supposed to sound like.
Speaker 2: You know that's good. Yeah, right, go right by the sound.
Speaker 3: Getting the sound guy. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: So I'll go to another one here, Sleepy Hollow, just all of the sort of it's one of those ones that was a little sort of okay, is all the like internet speaking of good angles, Yeah, like the Internet has made that the darling, you know, golf course of the ages for the last five years. I got to play it with Ben Hillard, who is uh ran point on that for Gil it also happens to be Sun Law. I'm sure you know Ben getting great guy, you know, good player, And so we got to I got to sort of hear all about the work they did while while playing it on a sort of crisp you know, early fall day, and so that was really really neat. I was very blown, very blown away by that. Had also, I love it's always fun when you play well at a good at a good spot for your first time.
Speaker 1: That doesn't usually happen for me like this.
Speaker 3: Actually the weirdest round of the year for me is I got to play Somerset and my host and I did not know that it was the like jokey Superintendent's revenge day God, and they were like tractors in front of the greens and I was like, oh, man, definitely need to just wipe this from my mind and go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get that place could be impossible if you did it on that day, but it could be so fun if you get it on the right day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did they have to pin in the back on five? That crazy green with the with the back Okay, did they put it all the way back?
Speaker 3: Yeah? They had it on the very little back of that little hill before the other hill. And then I can't remember what hole it is, number whichever, the blind sort of tabletop punch bowl kind of green.
Speaker 1: I think it's number three.
Speaker 3: They had the flag in the back left corner, but the cup was in the front right.
Speaker 1: It really, I mean, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Just it's a tough break for your first go round.
Speaker 3: Totally, totally was completely blown away this year by the redo of Congressional Blue by Andrew Green.
Speaker 1: I'd played it, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, six or seven years ago, maybe it maybe longer, eight or nine years ago, and you know, it felt like a kind of a classic, like super tough test, but I didn't remember much at all. Went back, and I mean just a completely different golf course than than what he had when he started with. So that was really a special day to see that, just to see the before and after.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, it got I mean, it's an amazing thing to see that type of transformation because that one, I mean, they did so much work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's not even the same place. Yeah. And then you know, Valley Club I loved because mainly one of the things I loved about it had this great West Coast culture vibe of just everybody with push carts and a lot of you know, a lot of like nice fancy courses don't do the pushcart thing, at least not in the South. You know, that's sort of frowned on here. I guess I don't know, it's silly.
Speaker 2: That clubhouse is amazing too. It's just like everything's just old right.
Speaker 3: In the eucalyptus trees and the you know, the golf course is insane. It's just a great, great golf course. And then leedo, I found well, the group I was with got pretty I was I was the low player, and again I was playing like a four, and so the group got really aggressive and like, well, let's play the tips. You know, I was like, okay, first round, winds blowing twenty five miles an hour. I mean, it ate everybody alive, myself included, you know.
Speaker 2: I meant, first time around there, you have just no clue what's going on.
Speaker 3: No, and the fairway undulation is insane. It's really really cool. I think it's awesome. I was surprised. I just I didn't I didn't do much research on it because I kind of just wanted to go in into it with a with no preconceived ideas I was expecting, you know, because it was a McDonald sort of template that I was expecting more of the templates than what there were, you know, which was which was cool. It was a surprise. I was, you know, I was expecting like, oh, there's going to be a very classic birds Hole and there's going to be like a very classic ri Dan and everything was a little different, you know. So it's definitely one that I if somebody says, is it, should you make a point to go? I was, absolutely, it's a must.
Speaker 1: We didn't. It was a quick trip.
Speaker 3: I didn't. We didn't play the other two and I have played those twice before. But an incredible compliment to what does the Michael has been doing there and you know, I don't, I don't know. It's a very unique it's a very unique golf course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy golf course. I mean, it's it's insane. It's insane that it just started from like just dead flat sand to that and it's totally I mean, it's even more amazing to think that like a swamp on Long Island got turned into that, you know, and maybe maybe even a little bit more severe version of that, right, I think, like if anything, they don't they might have toned down a few things because of green speeds and because like they you know, if they weren't sure on something, they they kind of aired on a little bit softer because it's so extreme as it is. What's on the what's on the courses that you're dying to see? List?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of things.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of places that I want to see that are I mean speaking of the rain McDonald, I really would love to see mid Ocean.
Speaker 1: That's like that and Camar show the last showing. Yeah, yeah, showing Bermuda.
Speaker 3: Anybody anybody out there got a venue in Bermuda they want me to play? Yeah, that's that's That's one that I've that I've I would love to see. I've never done any of the any of the Boston stuff, so I think that would be fun of like my Opia and Essex and.
Speaker 2: I mean they got they got good news stuff too. That's the thing about Boston. There's so much variety. Yeah, there's so much variety. And the landscape is just so distinct right where you have those rocky and sandy and the beautiful vegetation. I mean, an amazing area for golf. I love Boston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, back to your neck of the woods. We were joking about the other courses in Chicago, but there are i'd say of the of the major sort of markets, that's the one that I have sort of underplayed the most, just because I've got this great situation at one particular spot that I haven't really branched out. So that's that's an area that I would love to go. And then I went to another one I went to but it was actually lot it was technically twenty two. But I want to go back to landman. I was completely just bowled over by it. It's so bold and creative and unlike anything else that I've ever played in the world. So I want to do that trip and go see like cap Rock and if I can, or there's there's. That's the hard thing now. And I think you and I were talking about this too. With kids. I travel a lot for a living, so I don't actually do a lot of like, oh I'm going to do a golf trip and plan these different spots.
Speaker 1: I am doing that next year for one trip.
Speaker 3: I'm going to Scotland with seven buddies and and we're gonna basically do just the North We've done sort of. We've done the trips where you try to get as many of the top ranked courses, and this time we're just going to camp out up in the highlands and just play awesome up there. But besides that, I don't I really just want to play a lot more golf at home.
Speaker 1: Next year.
Speaker 3: I miss being around and playing, you know, in my own club or golf club at Tennessee. I miss only got to Sweet twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, course next year too, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right. That's which is very exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and actually got the gill let me get up there and the excavator and dig out a dig out a bunker.
Speaker 2: So that was I hope you find that bunker very often.
Speaker 1: Be fair.
Speaker 3: I do want to go up there with a bucket of balls and just like really just dump them in the bunker and hit out of it, just see what it's like. Uh. But yeah, I think there's there's there's always And that's an interesting thing too right now with all all of the destination golf, what the Kaisers are up to, with the Cabot stuff, you know, citrus farms and you know the stuff going New Zealand, there's a never ending supply of opportunity and.
Speaker 1: And not and not enough time or access.
Speaker 3: I mean I know that I speak from like a very Musicians are incredibly privileged in the golf space, and I'm very self aware about that. That being said, I'm not going to give any of that privilege up. You know, I'm gonna go play these places if I get I from when I get invited.
Speaker 1: But also, my kids are getting into golf and my daughter made like her first part of this year and that was probably the most exciting golf moment for me because it sort of sparked this imagination about what my future might hold of playing golf with my kids. And I don't know, that's definitely pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, your kids are getting to the age where they're they're golf potential. Are they shown interest?
Speaker 1: Yeah they are. They're not.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say they were like obsessed with it, but they never say no and I invite them, So that's we're at least uh.
Speaker 2: Seems like they just want to spend time with you. See. That's the that's the back door into getting a kid that that's going to play a lot of golf.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well, before we get you out here, I got I got a bunch of of quick hitting questions here for you. Yep, all right, music on the golf course? How loud? What's genre's best, and is it okay at all?
Speaker 1: It's definitely okay.
Speaker 3: I like just a good mixed playlist of like R, like classic R and B and kind of new sort of alt pop, weird stuff, you know. But then I'm also cool with the guys who just love to play country music all day. I mean, I have one rule with the music on the golf course. One one one playlist is happening at one time in the foursome. When there's like both carts are playing music and they're not the same, I feel like I'm gonna die.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 3: It's awful. And then the other rule is, whenever I'm playing with somebody's just please don't play with me, I can't be on the playlist, you know. So those are my two music rules.
Speaker 2: People often ask me, do you ever listen to your podcast? I'm like, oh god, no.
Speaker 1: No, heck no, definitely not.
Speaker 2: Another question this is this is a holiday season question. Is Christmas music actually good?
Speaker 1: You know? Some Christmas music is actually fantastic.
Speaker 2: You've got a Christmas album?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did, we did like ten years ago.
Speaker 3: And I will say this about Christmas music, it is some of the most complex popular music ever made. And people are always like, you got a Christmas album, you come play by yourself. I'm like, no, I have to have my band for that. I can't. I can't do that by myself. Not good enough.
Speaker 1: But all the like.
Speaker 3: Classic Sinatra, you know, Andy Williams, na King Cole, that stuff is awesome. There's also a pile of Christmas music trash out there that is the largest pile of trash in the music business.
Speaker 2: All right. Top three Christmas albums.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, okay, the I mean, obviously the what's the the the Peanuts when I'm blinking Charlie, Yeah, yeah, Vincecaraldi Vince Scarlti is number one. Amy Grant's second Christmas record, I'll be Home for Christmas, and then I'm gonna go with the the bing Crosby one, blanking on the name, but it's the one with Maliki laky Maka and all that on it. It's a great his his silent eye is just so good.
Speaker 2: All right, last two questions, What holidays should have more slash better music?
Speaker 1: I mean, does Thanksgiving have any music?
Speaker 3: I mean, my buddy Ben Rector has has the ones, you know, and you know, there's a.
Speaker 1: Song on my record called gratitude.
Speaker 3: I guess you could put that in the Thanksgiving category, but it seems.
Speaker 2: For how big of a deal Thanksgiving is it should have music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Fourth of July doesn't really have like music. But there's this America playlist. It's got like free Fallen and you know, Mellencamp, ain't that America? Like all the like classic rock songs that have the word America.
Speaker 2: And then and then you got like a ton of country music that could fall into that.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And then last question, which major golf event or major needs a new theme song most?
Speaker 1: Is this a trap?
Speaker 2: No, that's not trap. This came just came from This came from the Frida Egg slack slack slack room.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what's the writer up theme song? Is there one?
Speaker 2: It's uh yeah, it's the I can't I can't think of it offhand, but you know the player's got a new one recently. It's that, you know. And then the masters. I mean you can't touch the masters, right.
Speaker 1: No, you can't.
Speaker 3: And honestly, I'm you know, you grow you just grow to love it, accustomed to it. Like I don't even know if it's good, but I just it just is what it is. You know, it takes, it brings, it brings everybody nice peace and calm. We're about to watch the Masters.
Speaker 2: Maybe sit down and but may the right answer is the PGA for this, because the PGA just always is the major that needs something new, right it does.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 3: I mean I'm excited for you know, speaking of just like not the question you asked, but it is really fun. I think what the USGA is doing with basically building a new sort of a basically a new roda of classic courses. I mean, looking at the list of where all the US Opens are going to be, I feel like it's going to have more of that flavor that the Open Championship as of particular players really wanting to rise to the occasion at a particular golf course. And that's I think as a fan, that's that's going to be a win for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got mixed feelings because I feel like it disincentivizes the idea of like a golf course getting better if they're all booked, or a good new golf course getting built. Like my thing is like if you some of these places, like I'm not the biggest Chambers Bay or Aaron Hills fan like they I don't like, I'm not riding for them necessarily, but like the idea that we can't have you know that they don't have any history. It's like, well, you know they didn't. Really history isn't built in one one tournament, right, Like, so I would like to see a little bit. I like the idea of having like, hey, these are the ten courses that we go to, but I like having a little bit of flexibility with a few spots here and there, and who knows, maybe it'll evolve, maybe things will change. And I think one of the other things is like what's going to happen with the golf ball is going to be interesting because you know, some of the some of the way these courses are played is going to change, you know.
Speaker 1: So my only counterpoint to that is I grew up. One of the reason I didn't.
Speaker 3: Love golf growing up and why I gave it up for most of high school and college was because of that obsession with difficulty in our youth, where everybody that was building a golf course was like, oh, yeah, we're gonna We're gonna have the US Open one day, you know, We're gonna make it so hard that we're gonna get the US Open, and it just made for golf.
Speaker 1: It was really not fun, and architecture.
Speaker 3: Has just sort of thrown that idea out the window and now everything's being built, is being built just like for the large majority of golfers, and so I don't know, I feel like it's you know, as a as a fan watching watching Dustin Johnson finally sort of put all the naysayers to bed by just slam dunking the feet old at Oakmont.
Speaker 2: Those the last two shots my brain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll never anybody who's paying attention to golf that that's like a lifetime memory of it. No longer was he just a guy who wins all the random tour events. He's actually, like, you know, a Hall of Fame player.
Speaker 1: So we could.
Speaker 3: I love arguing with you and he let's do it some other, do it some more.
Speaker 2: Well, when you're out in San Francisco, if I'm here for the show, we'll do it again. You know, maybe we'll do some golf in between. But everybody, Uh, this is a great time of year to listen to your music. You know, you you've got a good That's what Brendan said in her slack is you know your music came up on one of his playlists and he was like, this is a good time of year for Drew Holcomb. If you if you're you know, if you like it, go to a show, go to a Drew Holcomb show. And uh yeah, people can find you on social media. You do a lot of fun stuff on social media too. I always appreciate when you do the uh the the live sessions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do a lot.
Speaker 3: We do all sorts of stuff. And I need more golf degenerates following me on social media so that my golf content gets more attention than than some of my other stuff.
Speaker 1: So come on, come on and join the party.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I get some more music people, I'll be able to say I have to go to I have to go to more concerts these that's right, that's right waiting for me to, you know, tell them about the new music that I've been listening to. So absolutely all right, Drew, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me. Great to see you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to another edition of the Frida Egg Golf Podcast, and big thanks to Matt Ruschis for editing and producing this episode. As a quicker rider, sign up for Clip TF. That is our membership platform. You can go to the Frida egg dot com slash membership find out all the details. It's one hundred and twenty dollars for the year. It makes a great holiday gift for any golf lover and just wanted to call out. It'll be up today our member video on Pineer's number ten. So it's Angela Moser, the lead associate on Pineer's Number ten, talking through Pineers number ten with some great visuals shot by camera Heurris, edited by Camera Herris. That's just one of the many perks of joining Club TF is a monthly member video as well as you know, a couple articles a week including golf golf course reviews and ratings and then design notebook. So thank you guys to great first year of Club TF and and join if you haven't yet. We'll be back later this week with another edition of the Friday Golf Podcast and thank you guys for listening.