Speaker 1: Derrick Henry has a new home, going from the Titans to the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 2: The quarterback the Vikings brought in after Kirk Cousins headed to Atlanta.
Speaker 3: It is Sam Darnold.
Speaker 1: Aaron Jones becomes just the latest former Packers star to cross the border to Minnesota.
Speaker 4: The Bengals all are moving on from Joe Mixon, but they are instead of releasing him and making him a free agent, trading him to the Houston Texans.
Speaker 2: It is Zach Moss headed to Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: Darnell Mooney, the former Bears receiver, has agreed to terms with the Atlanta Falcon to become a key new weapon for Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 3: Day two.
Speaker 1: Of the legal tampering period. Maybe we need to get a new name for that. I know the league's trying to push back on it.
Speaker 5: It feels very technical because we know the league year is tomorrow.
Speaker 6: There's no tampering. And this makes Andrew Ciciliano very mad. If you even say those words, no one should those words.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Ciciliana is also out here television NFL Network yesterday saying, oh, you cannot dip chicken wings in any type of white song like.
Speaker 7: What he's got, the platform he's allowed to espouse his his views on all topics.
Speaker 5: That's dangerous. Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, from the Chris Westling podcast studio, it's around the NFL. Dan Hands is here with Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler. You've already heard from all of us. We are probably going a little nuts like the Insiders during these long days and long nights. And now we are back in Los Angeles. We touched down here about an hour ago on a plane and I would love to say we were put into like a almost like a motorcade and taken straight here, but it was a mad scramble finding a cab, get us in the building. And yet we're here now to give you the latest on the league. And I would say again, another show coming off a wikily disappointing award show that we're gonna get.
Speaker 3: To later in the pot. Well, yeah, that's spoiler that we're here.
Speaker 5: We're here, We.
Speaker 7: Don't we don't need accolades. We need to go on you to work, that's all we're asking you. And for those that think that we've gotten a little too big for our breeches, like I am an hour and a half removed from sitting in the very back row of the plane where at all hours someone's hips are hitting my ears and my head as they attempt to go into the lavatory. So like like that, does it sound like someone that just cares about status and you know material?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's always we use the word heroes. But you know, just a little wink, maybe it's a little uh big for yourself twist today. It's true though, for us to get off that plane straight from Austin and get back into the coal mine.
Speaker 3: The news mine's.
Speaker 1: True and it's it's it's funny and I think telling and I don't mind telling the audiences because iHeartRadio and it was the iHeart Podcast Awards. They they were nice enough to send us down to Texas. We go down first class, first class. Baby Daddy's sitting there with the Miller light, enjoying myself, plenty of room. The guy from Workaholics with the curly hair is sitting.
Speaker 5: In front of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, took a selfie with him. Everything is Everything's hunky, Dorry. I think there was something symbolic about going to Texas first class, and then on the way to the award show, and then a day after being pitiful losers in them and spoiler alert, we'll talk about it later. Riding back and coach by the toilets. I think there was something there to dig into as well.
Speaker 7: I think, you know, seeking humility matters as you gain in age, and that's certainly we discovered it today on the way back.
Speaker 1: All right, so much to get to So did you have to deal with it? Because I was a couple rows ahead of you, You have to deal with any of those people just standing like waiting to like I said, like uppering over you.
Speaker 7: You know this these aircraft has gotten smaller and smaller and people's hips haven't gotten smaller. So I was like literally was like, you know, sleeping during for the first time ever on most of this flight, but kept getting jarred awake by like the side of someone's hip, mostly typically women's hips, just smashing me in the in the.
Speaker 1: Ear Why women's why why do you toil? That's just called like the like biology, Like it's just like in the I feel bad for them, you know, they're just trying to do what they're trying to do.
Speaker 7: And then but I'm also feeling bad for myself. It is like I'm in the aisle seat you know, you lean left a little bit and you get banged in the ear.
Speaker 6: Did not expect like an Americans are turning into a bunch of fatties. Take from Matt Mark. But there you go, Matt, I don't know crazy, all right.
Speaker 5: Strike that from the show. Let's let's let's dig in.
Speaker 1: Let's dig into everything that's happening, and let's start with the big news. I would say, like and hit this out round of applause, drop because we saw the Derreck Henry the Ravens thing coming.
Speaker 5: But that that feels well, I'll.
Speaker 1: Give it to us anyway, just get it, because everybody seemed to feel like that was coming, and then of course it did happen. Derrick Henry, who will be going to the Hall of Fame one day, and barring some remarkable late period, you don't think he's.
Speaker 5: Going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: I just don't like it when people just put people in the Hall of Fame. I think he'll be at this.
Speaker 5: I bet you like when certain people do. You just don't like that. I did it.
Speaker 7: Justin Graver tweeted today that he believes he'll be a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: He is, and we talk about Hall of Fame Gregory, we talked about Canton or any sport, like you can't tell the story of the league without talking about a player at his position like Derrick Henry.
Speaker 5: I think is one of the faces of the running back position in the last year.
Speaker 7: Especially in this era, to do what he's done in this era of like running back by committee.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's just I've heard the guys like who have the votes, their backs always just go up when you say when you're just putting them into the All Fame. You know that's on the one All Pro first team, a couple second teams. I would probably vote for him, but I'm saying he's not going to be like a rubber stamp.
Speaker 3: He's all right.
Speaker 1: How about we have a couple of big years in Baltimore and it won't be a debate because Derek Henry is now joining the Ravens two year deal worth up to twenty million, So there's nine million guaranteed in his first season with Baltimore and that might be all.
Speaker 5: He gets guaranteed.
Speaker 1: And if it seems like the money's bigger for the running backs this year, I read again, I'll quote him all the time, so I read them all the time, Bill Barnwell, the running backs are getting good money, but the salary cap went up, then running backs are actually get it. They're they're commanding less of the salary cap for these teams percentage wise than ever before. But you know, there's a lot of money flying around the league now because of the cap keeps on going upward.
Speaker 5: I would love to know.
Speaker 1: Let's put Eric to work early, Eric, what was the NFL salary cap in the twenty ten season when Mark and I started at the company.
Speaker 6: Can I get a guess too? Yeah, well take a guess, no, Eric, go first, right now?
Speaker 5: What is it too? Twenty?
Speaker 3: No, it's to fifty to fifty.
Speaker 5: See it's up there, all right?
Speaker 1: So so yes, I got it already, I said, quick Google search.
Speaker 3: I thought he was gonna guess.
Speaker 5: I was asking him to look at it. Why don't you guess?
Speaker 3: Greg, Go ahead, I'm gonna go one twelve.
Speaker 5: That sounds about right.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go I'm gonna go forty two. So you said twenty ten? Correct?
Speaker 5: Yes, So first answer.
Speaker 8: With the owners deciding to exit the CBA in March twenty eleven, the twenty ten season had no salary cap.
Speaker 3: Wow, the wait I was close.
Speaker 5: Well, then pick a year close, Holly, it was.
Speaker 8: Zero and I said forty cap in two thousand and nine to start the show over one hundred and twenty three million.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 5: So I got it, I said one twenty.
Speaker 3: So did he really the dub?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's pretty good. All right, let's see, I gave you a nice ballpark. That was nice and got what's going in the right direction. But so anyway, that's all beside the point.
Speaker 1: The point is that Derek Henry is a member of the Ravens Now and everyone is talking up and rightfully so marked this idea that the reigning MVP Lamar Jackson is explosive ability as an athlete, and now you add Derrick Henry to that mix and all that does make a lot of sense.
Speaker 5: I'll call you just a little bit.
Speaker 1: I would I feel like I'd be a little more like, oh my god, the league is in a lot of trouble. If this was twenty twenty Derek Henry in twenty twenty Lamar Jackson. They are a little bit different players and entering twenty four, but still an imposing duo and a move that makes so much sense for Baltimore.
Speaker 5: I love the fit.
Speaker 7: I mean, we already we've exclaimed that we wanted this to happen, and it's to me, it's about the player. It's like because lesser backs or you know, average to better than average backs have thrived in that system, whether it was the past Greg Roman offense or even this year. And I think when you add Derrick Henry to an attack where if you're a defender or defensive coordinator, you've got the one quarterback in the league more than any other running quarterback outside of Josh Allen, that you need to be hyper aware of where Lamar Jackson is on terra firm at all times. And now you add Derrick Henry to the mix, it's like a double headache. And I guess part of it is like, I don't believe that Dereck Henry is going to fade come October November.
Speaker 5: I believe he's got another year or two in him.
Speaker 7: And I think that makes the Ravens about as hyper dangerous as they've been in the Lamar Jackson era.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: You can use your rush yards over expected, you can use your broken tackles, all these fancy stats. I sometimes use my eyeballs. It tells me Dereck Henry still running well. Thought it ran well last year. I thought he ran better than his numbers would show on a per carry basis, although he's still a workhorse. Still two underd Nady carries was second in the league in yards, so he can still get it done. And when I think of the Ravens offense, you said it well, Mark, it's such a great place to be for a running back, especially in the red zone. I mean, all you gotta do is be a Gus Edwards owner in fantasy leagues and know when the ball is handed off to Gus Edwards in the red zone, it he usually just like walks into.
Speaker 3: The end zone. No one's really around that.
Speaker 6: Now you have Dereck Henry being the one that gets the ball, and the Ravens are so good at this, the running back market goes crazy. They just kind of sit there. They clearly had a price for Dereck Henry, they weren't going to go above it. And somehow Derrick Henry signs for like way less money than DeAndre Swift and not that much more than like Antonio Gibson and Singletary or Pollard, and like significantly less this year than Josh Jacobs. I don't quite get how that all worked out, because to me, running backs are year to year anyways, all these guys are, and I'd rather have Henry than any of those guys I just mentioned.
Speaker 1: Well, let's I'm guessing maybe of age and tread on tires, and he's not.
Speaker 3: A third down guy all the time. But he's a receiver. You know, I gotten good at that screen game.
Speaker 5: I mean, you threw a touchdown against the Ravens in the playoffs. You can throw the football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's always I think he's got better as a receiver, certainly over the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: I would guess a lot of teams, whether it's smart or not, are scared off by a guy that is entering his age thirty season. Just turned thirty in January and has over two thousand rushes in his career. I remember when he came into the league and much was made about how because of Alabama's embarrassment of riches, he didn't get used a ton in college in terms of workload. But he's certainly been a bell cow guy for many years now. So we'll see how much they can get out of him, and if he does have a vintage type season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is scary.
Speaker 1: And to your point about goal line and the way it was for Gus the bus, like maybe Lamar becomes a little bit more of a threat running now that they have.
Speaker 3: This, like you know, great, I think so.
Speaker 5: I think. I think it's got Lamar's a winner in this absolutely.
Speaker 6: And you got Patrick Riccard their their fullback, who is pretty dynamic and gotten into the mix there. They had an interesting offense.
Speaker 5: We bring up Keaton Mitchell by the way.
Speaker 6: Keaton Mitchell's coming out, I mean, he was incredible. He's coming off a major injury. That was a spice rack special Keaton Mitchell. I don't think he actually said it on the show, so it doesn't really care. But I don't think we had him. And then he was texting it he had he had receipts. I remember he was very excited about. Right, there's a paper trick, Keaton Mitchell. And they're a very creative running game. It's very different than when Greg Roman was there, but very creative mauling. And I just like when teams lean into having a personality. It's one of the reasons why the NFL is so great, and it's why you guys were on top of it at this made so much sense.
Speaker 3: It was such a Ravens move.
Speaker 6: It makes me more excited for whatever primetime game they put the Ravens in right off the top of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, feel very good about the Ravens, barring catastroph catastrophic injury, being near the top of the AFC. And then it becomes once again, now what do we do? How do we take that step? And maybe Henry is a big part of taking that next step once you get to January football all right. By the way, the offensive line of the Ravens graded out number six overall per PFF last year, so he's Henry's also going into a much better situation there as well.
Speaker 5: Brian Burns.
Speaker 1: We mentioned it off handedly at the end of the show that there was something percolating out there with some reporting around the edge rusher from Carolina and a potential move to the Giants, and it has indeed gone down. Rap Sheet reported that they make the trade, so Burns goes to the Giants in exchange for second and fifth round picks. Of course, eyebrows shoot up because Burns famously was a target of the Rams, who were reportedly looking to give up two first rounders or willing to give up two first rounders to get Burns.
Speaker 3: I believe it was last year or the year before while they were falling apart, and.
Speaker 1: The management at the time for the Carolina Panthers said no thanks.
Speaker 5: So it's a bad look obviously.
Speaker 1: I know it's leadership changes, but organizationally, it's a terrible look.
Speaker 5: So it goes from two first to a second and a fifth.
Speaker 1: And of course the Giants then turn around and give Burns a big new contract, a five year extension worth a maximum one hundred and fifty million, almost eighty eight million guaranteed. So Greg he's the second highest paid ed rusher in the edge rusher in the league. He's twenty six years old. I have to say this about Burns. He's one of those guys you always hear about, and he's and this is part he's playing in Charlotte, which is the black hole right now. Is he as good as you kind of hear? Is he as good as they say? Is he worthy of that type of money when it comes to edge rushers in football?
Speaker 6: I think he has been, but not last year quite as much. And so he was coming off of an injury, and his numbers were still good and he graded out pretty well. Wasn't like it was a bad year. But to me, coming off that injury, he wasn't exactly the same player before that. Yeah, I would say he's a top ten edg rusher. Now he's probably at the bottom end of that ten, but I'd rather have him then. Let's say Daniel Hunter, who was in this market, and he's so young, and he's so quick off the ball. He always rates really well in those stats of like pressure within two and a half seconds, and he's been in a spot where he's always been the man getting a lot of the attention on a team that's not often trailing, so he gets like less opportunities than everything, and just very dynamic. And I don't think you can get a pass rusher this good for any cheaper than this. So I think it's a good move for the Giants, and the Panthers just weren't ready to give him that money.
Speaker 3: I don't know it.
Speaker 6: On some level, I'm almost confused, because you do need good players no matter what stage of your rebuild you're in.
Speaker 7: If you're the Panthers, well and and and you know understandably Panthers fans, you know, famous ones and and civilians are going absolutely nuts over this famous one. There's a country singer that had like this gigantic tweet about it was like, is this is this organization just you know, trying to set itself on fire essentially? But I mean, I think if you're the Giants, because a day ago it's all about you. Let's say you botch Saquon Barkley. You let him go and he went to your rival, and it's like a bad look for the Giants, who also lost Xavier McKinney. But I would say that overall, when you look at what they the value they got Brian Burns for, which is a Koude talk, compared to what the Rams were going to spend. They added John Runyon along the line, Jermaine and mel and you Melanor and and I don't love Devin Singletary, but to patch up Saquon like they had a pretty good day like they are addressing. I think Joe Shane is a quality GM You're.
Speaker 3: Blocks in the building as Daniel Jones's backup.
Speaker 7: Well, to me, it's pretty clear that they're they're open to maybe drafting someone too. But like I just think that the Giants like it's not as big of a tire fire as it appeared to be twenty four hours ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why with free agency, everybody's got chill day one. Everyone wants your team to go totally nuts.
Speaker 1: You just got to let it play out and see where things stand at the end of the week. Also from the Office of Corrections, we got a Van Ginkle edit.
Speaker 5: Yeah we did. I'm just I'm gonna move out of the way and you guys could discuss.
Speaker 6: Well, that was on me. I put him under the Giants. I'm not sure if that was even ever a report or just my mistake. Throughout the day, it was always on that rundown. Van Ginkle's not on the Giants. I mean, if the only source you have of news in the NFL is the Around the NFL podcast, and you're a Giants fan and you just made like your own Van Ginkle jersey or posters, who knows at home, I have bad news for you he's a member, then.
Speaker 1: Can I just say also, like I was surprised because all we've been hearing on this program is infatuation with the Van Gankle. You would think that would not miss your radar, Mark that you don't want to tell.
Speaker 3: What I am the one that put it down.
Speaker 5: I piggybacked off of.
Speaker 1: But Mark was supposed to be the safety net with all that.
Speaker 7: In my notes, I said, it makes sense that he repairs with Brian Flores, and then I was like, well, I must be wrong because he's all the giants And it's like, no, he went back to pair with Brian Flores, the Vikings defensive coordinator. Right, And it doesn't it doesn't, like, you know, decrease my belief in Van Ginkled.
Speaker 5: The fact that we made a podcaster.
Speaker 6: No, if anything, it's even it's a better fit for him in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I like what It shook me a little bit, right.
Speaker 7: But a true but a true, a true sports show of the year would take a minute to you know, say on us.
Speaker 6: Well, they maybe wouldn't have made that mistake. Although I think that's possible. I honestly can't remember in twelve years of doing this podcast where we had to come back the next day and we got a free agent signing just completely offset.
Speaker 5: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: So that that's a first I do before we go.
Speaker 5: Shannon Sharp has never made an error when he speaks, that's true.
Speaker 3: Good for him, I do. I'm just short clicking, you know.
Speaker 6: One, Congrats to as Mark mentioned, Jermaine Luminor, who's like a close a friend of our friend, Henry Hodson, product of the International Player Pathway at age twenty nine, just got life changing money two years, fourteen million dollars after he's kind of bounced around in the league. And what a great moment for him. But I wanted to read this tweet. It was from Scott Barrett on Twitter of just if you combine the Brian's Burns, Bryce Young, and Christian McCaffrey trades for what the Panthers got and what they gave up, and this includes the trade they essentially didn't make with the Rams, which is, you know, kind of cheating, but it does make it fun. Here's what the Panthers traded Caleb Williams, assuming that's the number one overall Pickture covers or the number one over our pick Kristin McCaffrey DJ Moore, a top ten pick in the twenty twenty three draft. That was the Rams pick the Bears drafted to Tackle, a second round pick in the twenty twenty three draft, a first round pick in the twenty twenty four draft and a first round pick in the twenty twenty five draft.
Speaker 3: That's what they passed on. Here is what they got.
Speaker 6: Oh No, Bryce Young, one year of Brian Burns, a defensive a linebacker by the name of DJ Johnson who was ranked one hundred and twenty fifth at the edge position by PFF last year, promising in two fifth round picks.
Speaker 3: I mean that's an all timer.
Speaker 6: That's I mean, that is the series of moves. And it's like, oh, it's not all the same guy. It's like, it's your organization. That is a series of moves. As catastrophic as I can.
Speaker 7: I could flip it and say they're a very charitable organization. They give to others.
Speaker 1: And I think, as always Luke Colmbs has his finger on the pulse because he was the first one to point out twenty two hours ago, no first round pick for McCaffrey a few years back and now none for Burns.
Speaker 3: Are we just fire bombing the whole team here?
Speaker 1: Or what?
Speaker 5: Right? Colembs is right? I like that tweet.
Speaker 3: I think he's not familiar.
Speaker 1: With Combs's catalog, but I know he's enormously popular.
Speaker 6: It is the thirty seventh overall pick in this draft. You know it's close to being the first rounder. It's a long road for these all right.
Speaker 7: Anyway, somewhere Scott Fitter is driving around like in a cream colored Porsche down in the South.
Speaker 5: It's like you buried one of the thirty.
Speaker 3: I'm Daniel Jones. By the way, Drew Locke is.
Speaker 6: It's like a medium result of what could have happened this offseason for your backup. They gave him five million dollars guaranteed, which tells me, like, he'll he'll play if you if you're not playing well, Daniel Jones', you're not ready Drew Lock.
Speaker 1: If I'm starting quarterback in the NFL and they signed Drew Lock as my backup, I'm not losing sleep, Okay, I mean Drew Lock.
Speaker 3: I think Mark's right. They maybe draft someone too, but maybe if.
Speaker 5: You have what are you like? Where are we going about Lock?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: In other news, the Cincinnati Bengals and the Joe Mixon marriage.
Speaker 5: Is over NFL networks.
Speaker 1: He Rapp Report reports that Mix and Who Diego was believed that he was going to be waived. Instead, they pulled the trigger on a trade so they send him to the Houston Texans, so his eighth season in football will be with Houston. Of Course, the Texans, as we mentioned, lost Devin Singletary to the Giants in free agency. Mixon joins Damian Pierce in that backfield now, so we'll see what we get from mixing mark. On paper, it looks like a nice upgrade for the Texans. He had over fourteen hundred yards last year, twelve touchdowns. In general, looked like a guy that had been trending downward and then said no, I'm not done yet.
Speaker 5: So it's weird that.
Speaker 1: This is when he gets cut but or let go by Cincinnati, but Houston takes on the former pro bowler.
Speaker 7: It's not obviously not great news for Damian Pierce. They struggled, He and the rest of that team struggled to run the ball inside an attack that was so promising through the air. So I think it's a good landing spot for Mixon to come in and upgrade. It leaves me wondering a little bit about the Bengals because we've got a lot of moving parts in Cincinnati for a team that offensively was sitting in a Super Bowl window, and it's like we're looking at wide receivers exiting stage left. They signed Zach Moss on a two year, eight million dollar deal to essentially replace Joe Mixon. I think Moss actually looked really good in Indianapolis at stretches last season, but that's the first season I really felt that way about him at all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm I'm fine with that move for the Bengals. I think they were clearly surprised that anyone wanted to trade for Mixon because it was announced as a release.
Speaker 7: You thought he was gonna get cut last off season, right, and it was.
Speaker 1: Fourteen hundred yards and twelve touchdowns. It is not the work of a bad running back.
Speaker 3: No, not bad.
Speaker 6: And the text, Look, they know Bobby slowk and Tamiko Ryans. They know more than I do about what they want in their running back. I thought he came out of the gates looking very fresh and like, oh, the old Joe Mixon's back, and then as the season were on, that burst isn't there. I always loved Joe Mixon as a as in terms of his running style, well, you know, he came out of college and had that questionable background and end up having a nice career with the Bengals, but I think his best days are behind him. And my guess is they would draft someone too, but it's not a it's not a great running back class. So you pair mix In probably with like a third round pick, and Pierce is probably in the rear. There's always one of those every year, by the way, where like someone gets announced as a release and someone's watching Free Age Frenzy at home and Nick Casiro's like, I'd give up a seventh throws and for Mixing, I don't I like that contract.
Speaker 1: It's fine still just twenty seven years old. Yeah, but he's been around for a while now, and we'll see if he could still play the guitar.
Speaker 6: You know, Stone's a big pick up for them too. You know, he's making more than any of these other guys they signed.
Speaker 7: Lamar Jackson tweeted Gino Stone instead essentially, you're gone, You're dead.
Speaker 3: You're dead.
Speaker 5: There's been a lot of that going on.
Speaker 1: With these but remember we have the conversation about you got to be careful, like when your buddy breaks up with his girlfriend and you bury her and then they get back together, Like what happens if that would have fallen through and Gino's coming back.
Speaker 3: You're right.
Speaker 1: It was Lamar just basically said you know, I hate you, right, we don't advise. I think it was tongue in cheek and serious. Also possibly dead serious. We don't know. While we're on the Texas just quickly. I do like their moves lately.
Speaker 6: They've been raiding the Titans, which is gonna be annoying, uh Titans fans. As these alsha Here Denico Autry. I really like the alsha Here signing because he was with Demiko Ryans in San Francisco. I think he's He's really good and could have a like sneaky Pro Bowl type season with the Texans.
Speaker 3: They also re signed Noah.
Speaker 7: Brown also, like, know what you're gonna get with Tanko Autry. You know it's gonna be productions good, It's gonna work.
Speaker 1: It's like a lot of people are gonna be picking the Texans to win that division.
Speaker 6: Sneaky, like financially h exciting career from Deniko Autry. He's probably signed about six exciting.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, like you don't like you think of Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 1: Financially active or or actually exciting, I mean exciting, ye way, to describe.
Speaker 6: It, prisky, I mean, my brain is just so off right now. But financially lucrative, I guess, you know, adventurous. He just keeps signing these like twelve million dollar contracts like every other you know, he's getting it done at age thirty. Breaking news, whoa going on here? Breaking news? The Texans and Daneil Hunter are in business. The Pell Raiser reports that the four time Pro Bowl defensive end is signing with Houston.
Speaker 5: Wow credit credits rap sheet as well.
Speaker 1: That's the same Hunter coming off a big year in Minnesota. He has eighty seven and a half career sacks, and he immediately fills the void left by Jonathan Grenard who left for the Viking Vikings day earlier. That's a that's a that's a nice plug of a hole there in quick manner.
Speaker 6: Interesting, They just they've chose him over Grenard, who's you know, he's three or four years older. He's certainly been a better player overall than Grenard in his career year he's you know, three four years older, two years, but they're paying him more than Grenard is making two two years, forty nine million with forty eight million guaranteed. We haven't seen many deals like that, that short and that big, but it's kind of perfect in this c J. Stroud has a low contract and they have all sorts of cap space, so he'll be back off the books before they even need to really worry about their cap space.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't have minded them hanging around with Grenard, who, like I think, showed so much promise. But if he's departed, you've gone and found someone to pair with Will Anderson. And like these teams to try to get by with one monster pass rusher, it's like you're always going to be seeing that guy get double on triple team. And it's like right now, like this trend of getting two dudes they can kind of free up each other in the inside of well, I love it.
Speaker 3: I mean with.
Speaker 7: Wilkins defense yesterday, the Raiders coaching staff gets like everyone on that defense to play.
Speaker 5: It's kind of niners like Ryan Burns on Thibodeau.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's to be able to pair two studs cause there's a lot of trouble for a post team.
Speaker 6: They're going to be such a trendy pick. But it's like, oh, it all makes sense.
Speaker 5: C J.
Speaker 6: Stroud's their their quarterback, and you look at their defensive line right now. They added fully Fatsukasi, they added Autry, and now they add Hunter along with Anderson. I had mentioned I love the Alisha here signing like Demico Ryans got as far as they did without really a great defense. I think they were kind of an opportunistic defense and now they have a chance to step it.
Speaker 3: Up while cj'sdrug gets better.
Speaker 6: That that is something a little challenge trade, though not exactly a trade. But Vikings say we'll take your guy. Texans says we'll take your guy.
Speaker 5: It's kind of interesting to think about it.
Speaker 1: But when you look at the two South divisions, are the will the Texans and Falcons come out of this offseason as the two biggest favorites to win their division?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the biggest in any division or just no, in any division?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: Really I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe the Falcons will be whether or not they actually will be the chief No, well, the Chiefs, yeah, the Chiefs obviously.
Speaker 5: Who the Chiefs got in there, they get the ring.
Speaker 1: Well, the Chargers with hardball will make it a little interesting, but you're probably right, the Chiefs probably will come up.
Speaker 3: I think you're talking about two teams that have shot up the right hearts.
Speaker 5: But after the Chiefs it might be.
Speaker 1: To me, it might be these two divisions in terms of like where everyone's going to.
Speaker 6: Be pretty wild when you think about that they won three games a year ago. But you're not wrong, they'll both be favorites.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's take a break and when we return more news. Dear Sam, I'm writing you today to offer my heartfelt congratulations on the beginning of a beautiful new adventure. Six years ago, you entered my world like an avalanche of hope. I and many like me believed you would be our salvation after decades in the darkness. Alas the faiths played cruel tricks on us all you were treated in a careless manner and casually tossed away as my people floundered, you wandered. This week's arrival with the Mighty Vikings of Minnesota, an obvious choice for the twenty twenty four team of around the NFL, feels like the end of your undeserved exile in the beginning of at long last, a fair and true opportunity to succeed on the grand stage. I have no doubt you will fend off any competition, thrive in a healthy new environment, and expose each of your critics as the rude, thoughtless little pigs they so clearly are.
Speaker 5: As For myself, I will champion you from afar.
Speaker 1: My warm feelings tinged with the bitter sweet, a wistful melancholy. Only former lovers can truly understand. Safe journey aboard your Norse longship, Sweet Prince Skull forever, signed your admirer from the car Sam Donald to the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 7: That the beautiful sound, the romantic sound of the of the number two, only lensil on the.
Speaker 6: Only lovers, not even like family members or just only just physical lovers.
Speaker 3: And if somebody's writing for your heart relationship with Sam.
Speaker 1: The heart wants with the heart wants, and yes, and I I commented on this that I really have wanted Darnald to get a true fresh start because like what happened. It's funny considering Baker went number one, Sam went number three. What Baker got last year is what all I was thinking, even during this forty nine er season where he was like, you know, one heart beat away from getting into that lineup and maybe being able to make an impact. Just wanted him to have a chance, and he kind of has exactly in some ways the Baker set up now where we don't know and he could they might go and draft somebody in April. So I don't want to put the cart before the horse totally. But and the contract came out at first it was ten million, and I'm like, oh, he's definitely their starter. We don't know how much guaranteed money is coming into this, but don't you just get the feeling that Kevin O'Connell and he obviously likes him a lot, Kyle Shanahan obviously liked him a lot. There are people that are champions of this guy, and they're they're believing his potential that I would not be surprised if O'Connell wants to see if he can get that Baker season out of Donald and maybe reset the franchise with a depreciated asset who can outperform greatly on what they signed him for.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for like the pocket of humans that continue to champion Darnald, and I think there's reasons to believe. You look at where he was with the Jets and Panthers and say, you know, total disorganization. It rite morphine right into total disorganization where he was actually on the same team as Baker Mayfield. They went into the hive and they came back out. Baker's had his chance. This is the best situation Donald's been in terms of the personnel around him.
Speaker 1: I don't put it beyond Minnesota.
Speaker 7: They are in a rebuild mode to some degree that like they are sitting at number eleven, it just feels possible, maybe even likely, that they trade up to get get up to number five somewhere and get JJ McCarthy and then it's Donald in a competition. But Donald is actually I don't know if he's a perfect bridge, but he's a guy you could you could feel excited about seeing what he could do because.
Speaker 1: It's that's what happens. But it's certainly possible. They also possibility they get Aaron Jones also, so he gets cut loose by the Packers at him.
Speaker 5: I love I love Kevin O'Connell.
Speaker 1: You know he's there's a reason he's one of the most popular coaches in the league in terms of that that Union poll and also the results you've seen, so I think he has the right coach. He has the best wide receiver in the League. He's got a running back. I think it's gonna have a chip on his shoulder. I think it's a pretty good setup if it happens for him this time. Yeah, they're not done building. They hit a home run last year with their draft. I don't know if we're gonna have kg Osbourne back, but I love Jordan Addison as a two Hawkinson.
Speaker 3: You couldn't. I get it.
Speaker 6: The Donald Hive is out there and I when this news happened, I just my immediate reaction and was how obnoxious the Donald Hive is going to be for the next five to six months. And half of our listeners appeared to respond with with this here Han shout out and and it wasn't Paul Rudd.
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: That's why if I wanted to shout him out, I'm not into uh, well you do blind items on Twitter? Well I will, but you understand why there might have been Yeah, No, I get it, and we do the show together. Happened to But it's it's bigger than just Dan. It's it's Daniel Jeremiah had later number one overall, it's Mina Kimes, who's you know, always thought he was going to be great it's Nate Tice, who thinks he's this unhair you know, quarterback talent. It's Bill Barnwell, it's all the big tape heads and names in the business. They've always all believed in Sam Darnold.
Speaker 1: And you couldn't even put him in your one oh one, and yet you watch him play football, huh.
Speaker 3: And it's never really happened for him.
Speaker 1: Because the some people, some people are able to look past the circumstances and see even when you look at his last time as a start at the Panthers, he puts some good tape out there, and some of the data backs that up, and they see that this is a guy that has never been in position to succeed.
Speaker 5: And there are so many quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: There are very few quarterbacks in the league that can overcome ineptitude all around them.
Speaker 5: He's not one of them.
Speaker 1: So I'm not saying he's going to become a top ten quarterback, but I think he has the potential to be a guy that's on the right side of the Dalton scale if if he gets his chance, and I hope he does. And I don't think you're not gonna I'm not gonna be too obnoxious.
Speaker 3: Now I'm having fun with it.
Speaker 1: If he if he likes in September, it could be an issue.
Speaker 5: I like that we get this, that this is a great way.
Speaker 1: If it happens again, I don't guess the Vikings could go out and get a quarterback.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to I do too well.
Speaker 1: If he gets his starts this year, it's going to put to bed something that It's not just me. There are other people that have always wondered, and this feels like a good, like healthy setup for him.
Speaker 7: The one little drama magnet out there that kind of concerns me a little bit is you've got to keep Justin Jefferson happy. I mean, he's become one of those wide receivers where it's like he can't float through his career with poor quarterback play.
Speaker 5: You've moved on from Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 7: I'm sure he wasn't happy about that, and so there is some pressure on Darnold to come in like he's now in that thing where like your number one star diva wide receiver needs to be fed correctly on a weekly basis, Will you.
Speaker 6: Want to be Jefferson's going to get fed right and you want to be happy just listen to Quessi at the combine saying that Justin Jefferson deserves and will be the highest paid player in the league non quarterback, which is a bold statement.
Speaker 3: You know you're only going to say that.
Speaker 6: I think if you've already actually made that offer and he didn't accept it and you're still like working it out, I mean that an amazing thing. So there's no way they are ever going to trade him. And I think the contract and we haven't seen the details, but whether the base salary is six eight nine, whatever it is, to me, that's that actually tells you exactly who he is, which is an in between and not a backup, not a starter, a guy you pair with your rookie, certainly above what Baker got last year, and a lot above what Sam Donald got last year. You only got three or four million last year, but someone that's not necessarily expected to start seventeen games, that the rookie is going to have a chance likely if they can get one.
Speaker 1: And Quessi, you know he's looking at it like, you know, we think we have something in here with him potentially, and if he can be a league average or better quarterback, would I rather have Sam Donald for seven or be paying Kirk Cousins still forty Like well, I.
Speaker 5: Think they did the right thing for their team. Like we talked about that yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you needed to draft a new guy. Anyways, I think that that's the smarter move. Aaron Jones is an interesting signing, just that one day he turns down a pay cup from the Packers and then he joins the rival. Seen this move before, especially with the Packers in the Vikings and adds a little juice. I think he was playing well at the end of last year. Reportedly he turned down a contract with the Packers that would have brought his salary down to four million. He ends up getting six from the Vikings, so he does come out ahead. He must have known that before he did it, and now.
Speaker 3: He can get a little revenge.
Speaker 7: I still remember, like broadcasting a show from home when he signed that monster deal with the Packers, and like it just shows you that seven hundred days later just doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: If he's healthy.
Speaker 1: He's in a block and change in seven hundred days in life, especially in the end. Disturbing by the way any Van Ginkel Vikings takes about where he fits in in Fangio's defense, Well, it's Brian Flores who who knew him so well in Miami. And I think that Van Ginkle started to get on the radar of the you know, the hipster Van Ginkle crowd during that Flora's run in Miami and then continued in a different scheme, and it's like he kind of seems like he could fit in anything.
Speaker 6: Certainly with the Vikings not even adding Donald to they really are the hipster team this year. So instead of signing cousins for all that money, they get Donald hipster favorite, Ben Ginkel, Blake Cashman, Jonathan Grenard. Like they have been, Aaron Jones had been extremely active here in free agents, like the Silver it's like the Silver Lake of They're not looking at it like we're taking some huge step back. They're year three under O'Connell. They're they're definitely trying to compete. They just thought this was the time at quarterback to make the change, some real team of atn vibes never doing just a conversation again, Well.
Speaker 7: But no, you know what, can I argu Can I argue why it is a conversation because like we now, it's like you bounce away from them for like four seasons.
Speaker 5: But we made a mistake last year.
Speaker 7: But now this would be the year that when we don't pick them, they thrive or or they start three and one. We picked them and they lose seven out of eight, which is typically what they get in get in early.
Speaker 6: It would be good to pick one before the season starts. Whenever we picked midway through, like they immediately go on a loose.
Speaker 8: I also have a lot of fun Vikings drops, so those are always funded.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it's a conversation and Vikings fans are screaming right now out their listening device, don't do it, don't do it.
Speaker 5: But it just might make the most sense.
Speaker 1: In other news, the Falcons speaking of Kirk Cousins, So Cousins has a good setup. I think Donald is a good setup where Cousins used to be. I think Cousins has a nice setup in Atlanta because you have Drake London as your number one, you have Kyle Pitts as your tight end with number one potential, you have Bjean Robinson who has potential to be the best running back in the league. They did seem to be missing that second piece after Calvin Ridley disappeared in the wide out game. How about Darnald Mooney? So he lands three for thirty nine, twenty six guaranteed. This is one of my favorite moves greg of free agency in the first two days. I think Mooney was a depreciated assets. He's one year removed from a eleven hundred yard season with Chicago, and if you put him in a functional offense with a pocket passer with elite skills like Cousins, I think that Mooney can definitely bounce back and become a real dude in that offense.
Speaker 5: I love this movie.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 6: He's a unique player because there just aren't many players that get open consistently deep down the field.
Speaker 3: Now, he's not.
Speaker 6: A big player, and you do see him struggle sometimes in those contested catch situations, but he was in a tough spot and there was a lot of chatter of like if you just watch the Bears tape, like he's out there getting open and they don't have anyone. Yeah, they need a too, they need a three and a four and a five. They are gonna need to get active in terms of the draft and just like getting some rotation players. But he's someone that I think you can be confident. It takes a full compliment of snaps and the interest was there for him. He got a lot more guaranteed money, for instance, than Gabe Davis. Will see if he gets more than Calvin Ridley when he signs tomorrow. Sounds like he's probably gonna sign with the Jaguars, by the way, while we're here, because if he signs with the Jaguars Wednesday, they only have to give up a third round pick. If he signed re signs with the Jaguars, which would been today, they have to give up a second round pick.
Speaker 3: And the fact that he's just floating out there means I don't.
Speaker 1: Think the PA I was trying to make sense of this. Isn't that an easy trade term to circumvent? Yes, like why did they doing that? But that seems such an easy way to do it. I feel like this was the Falcons right. This is a why did they put the language like that where the Jaguars could just easily just wait an extra day?
Speaker 6: It wouldn't surprise me if this is an issue brought up with like the NFL management counselor whoever decides these sort of things. Iron it seems a little shady to me in the Patriots probably aren't gonna getim.
Speaker 3: That was a side point.
Speaker 6: But Darnel Mooney, well, two lane connection, by the way, two lane GM, Terry Fontano in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: Greg, No, you didn't get rid of him, not a single person.
Speaker 6: Two lane wide receiver, Darnell Mooney. It's a little green wave loyalty there.
Speaker 7: This is not a two lane college podcast. But I appreciate the fact that you went to school. He hit one hundred and forty targets from in that thousand yard season. He's only had one hundred and twenty two over the last two years, so they I do think that he's in for a larger role, and they slotted incorrectly with the Falcons speaking, And I'm glad you went to Tulane.
Speaker 5: Greg.
Speaker 3: That's no.
Speaker 5: I just mean, wait, you went to Tulane.
Speaker 6: I just mean this is probably the last time ever there's going to be a big time of free agent signing two lane to Tulane.
Speaker 5: Greg. By the way, ever, I mean.
Speaker 3: Unless Fontode goes and finds who else.
Speaker 5: We got, don't worry. Don't worry. I won't get into detail.
Speaker 1: But how about some of those mega Greg reveals on the way to the airport today about his days at Tulane. WHOA, yeah, I thought it was confessional. WHOA learned a lot.
Speaker 3: At least, Jack of what stories I have told you guys, and what.
Speaker 1: Explosive I was happy you're here. In other uh yeah, hold on to your butts. Patriots talk. They signed Jacoby Brissett, so they add the veteran quarterback to the room, a guy that's you know, everybody loves Jake Briskett. I feel like we've been talking about Jake Briskett on the show since the very beginning, so much so that the Jake Brisket drop that it companies.
Speaker 3: Yes, slice me off a piece of that she has.
Speaker 1: Gotten, use that, you know, if Frags could get just a slice of royalties, I would say it. Frag seems like she's pretty good with money with some of these trips she takes in the summer. But you probably wouldn't say no to more money. Now, little mailbox cash as they call it, she is.
Speaker 5: I've if I've ever critiqued her to her face.
Speaker 7: It was like, why aren't you actually becoming a voiceover artist in our town here in Hollywood?
Speaker 1: You right be making total bank A lot of competition as Zumwhalt. That's a lot before yeah, struck old with our company. Jay makes seven million a year doing voice for us. Uh, it was it was a grind because there's so much competition, you know that Zumwalt. I went with him once. This is years ago, would have been two thousand and eight. We were living in Hollywood, and I drove Jayden know how to drive the jot or he didn't have his license at.
Speaker 5: The time, so fourteen, Like.
Speaker 1: Jay's your age around okay, so he's you know, he's not a kid. So I drove him and we drove to a studio, like a production studio in Culver City, and I just sat in on a recording session where Jason had to redub all of Steven Sagal's lines to some like straight to video made in Korea film or made in Russia film at the time. And so just imagine watching Jason Zumwolt the Voice of God and around the NFL making grunting sounds in the in the voice of Steven Sagal for three hours.
Speaker 5: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Can we purchase this tape? I want to watch this. So that's the life of a voice over.
Speaker 3: I must need to leave the room right now, just too much.
Speaker 1: Also the voice of Roman Bellic and Graham Theft Auto's mega fan. No, all right, let's get back on track, a little zumwalt, shout out. Jake Briskett is in the room. He's a quarterback. Pat's gonna take out quarterback number three overall. Maybe probably so Jake is in there as a great veteran alongside a young quarterback that is coming in now that Mac Jones is out of the picture with Jacksonville. They also resigned offensive lineman Michael Whennu.
Speaker 3: I think I got it, you got it Yeah, to a three year.
Speaker 1: Fifty seven million dollar contract, thirty eight million guaranteed. That's nice money. They also resigned Josh Uce on a one year deal. He wanted to stick around. He wanted to stay with the Patriots. Calvin Ridley reportedly is looking potentially going to give up money that the Patriots want to give him to stay in Jacksonville. There's a report out there right that the Pats are hot for Ridley, but Ridley's not so hot for the Pats, and he wants to stay in Jacksonville.
Speaker 5: So Patriots active today.
Speaker 6: Look if their plan here is to bring me back in, get me, get me more.
Speaker 3: In fact the way, and the only.
Speaker 1: Reason you're out is because you don't go to the super Bowl every year now, which is always a little bit of an underreported aspect of Greg's not a big fan.
Speaker 6: As soon as I said it on this show, everyone was.
Speaker 5: Very bad fandom upset.
Speaker 6: It wasn't so much Bail. It's just like we've hit the peak. It's you're you're a little less into it. Tom Brady's gone. What are you gonna?
Speaker 3: What are you going to replace Tom Brady?
Speaker 6: How about replace him with one of the guys that actually started for him, went while he was serving his UH suspension back in the day, with some exciting moments as a rookie. I mean, you get Jake Brisket in the building and then you get either Drake may or Jayden Daniels and you got the perfect quarterback tuitor that that is an exciting combo. And I do like they kind of they kept. This is very different than the belichicker. They kept the players that I would want them to keep, ended up only signing for one year three million. Mike car Fullo says he passed up money to stay elsewhere but he probably passed up like second year money and he's betty on himself to have a bigger year. But it is interesting to me that these guys want to stay with Mayo and I really like a whnu. I mean, he's been their best offensive lineman, most consistent versutill.
Speaker 3: Over the last couple of years. So it's like they keep the guys they like. They bring in the guy like I see you, gird Mayo, see I see what you're doing. And their front office it's not just a one man from Elliott Wine, but it's probably not your Mayo.
Speaker 7: But I think Brissette Brissett is lineage Preset's the perfect person for this situation and like he's proven he can do this over and over. And it's notable that like true Alex van peld is a true offensive coordinator like he was under Stefanski during that year, that he's like Presett shine in Cleveland, but he went after Baker and or you know, at least reportedly, and he knows what he's getting in Jacoby Brissett. Jacoby Brissett is a celebrated like Kevin Stefanski called him, like the best teammate's ever observed in a locker room. So this Patriots team could use a little bit of that and whatever rookie they draft, and I assume they will. It's the perfect kind of path from there here A to B.
Speaker 6: And it's similar money to Darnold. I think he's getting eight million. I think they are gonna we aren't gonna know what they're doing. I'm gonna guess until Draft week or Draft night. I think they're they're leaving themselves. Some will go room here. If someone gives them a godfather offer, they might say, let's.
Speaker 3: Move down, let's pick up a bunch of picks.
Speaker 6: Who knows, Maybe we'll take a second or third round quarterback and we just go with that for now.
Speaker 3: If we're not in love with who's there at three.
Speaker 1: If Jake Briskett is one of the best veteran quarterbacks you'd want in a room with a young, hotshot rookie, I would say among lower on the list would be Marcus Mariota, who quit on his team a couple of years ago, but apparently keeps getting hired, so people must like the guy. I don't get it. The Commanders agree to terms with Marcus Mariota on a contract that's worth up to six million, which is again, you what has Mariota done in.
Speaker 5: The last eight years in this league?
Speaker 6: If everyone wants anything's to fix these high quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: What is a pretty pick privilege? It's I mean, they called it. So he's the number two pick is going to Washing team. They're gonna obviously take a quarterback. So this is bad news for Sam Howell, who went from midway through last season. Oh maybe Sam Awl is the long term answer too. I don't even know if he's on the team anymore the way this looks. So that's one big move for Washington or a move for Washington. The other one would be Austin Eckler, and this is man, it is tough out there for running bas because Eckler went from scoring twenty touchdowns a year for a run there too, having a down contract year in twenty twenty three and he signed a two year deal with the Commanders. Not a lot of sizzle there, worth up to eleven point four to three million, less than five million total in twenty twenty four. So that is obviously when Eckler was holding out last summer and he was like, look at my production, Look who I am. The worst case scenario camp true is short of getting a catastrophic injury, which is he didn't play as well, the tape didn't look hot, and then he didn't get paid very well.
Speaker 3: But at least he got a job. Could have been worse.
Speaker 1: There were guys last year, if you remember, like the Dalvin Cooks the world, that hung out all through the offseason looking for a job.
Speaker 3: Eckler gets paid, but not what he wanted.
Speaker 7: I mean, Antonio Gibson out the door to New England.
Speaker 5: So you pair him with Brian Robinson.
Speaker 7: I think, you know, reading some stuff that Deckler put out there today on he's pretty active on social media, seems highly motivated to kind of wipe away the narrative from last year and what happened on a bad Chargers team.
Speaker 5: I don't hate it.
Speaker 7: And this is a team also from a you know, from the Mariota standpoint. Absolutely, they're drafting a quarterback just I mean, I'm just assuming that without any question at this point. And there's whispers that Howell if someone else wanted to make something out of them, that they would maybe move.
Speaker 3: Howell, which to me, he'd be a fun backup.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 6: To add to the mix, look, motivation has never been an issue for Austin Eckler. That dude is max out his career in a way that very few players his side undrafted. I mean, he's had an incredible career. So I don't know if Trian Harder's got to get it done for him. I'm not excited about that backfield. Claire and Brian Robinson, they've been incredibly active. Dan Brandon McManus, there is a kicker changing teams. Is a commander. Dante Fowler is a commander. Nick Alligretti, the guy who you might remember stepped in in the Super Bowl for the Chiefs the last couple of games, he's a commander.
Speaker 3: Cleveland fur All a lot of Super Bowl you know experience.
Speaker 6: And then Jeremy Chin That that's one that I like out of all these just as kind of a bit of a flyer. One year five million had a nice early couple of years for the p.
Speaker 5: Turning that roster over.
Speaker 1: And yet until they need this quarterback to hit, until they get the new quarter They got the owner out.
Speaker 5: Now they got to get the quarterback right.
Speaker 1: And then there's just something so gray to me with that team and they need that that someone to kind of electrify the team, and I know the fans feel the same way.
Speaker 7: It is a good sign that a bunch of players followed dan Quinn from Dallas to Washington, and like, this is a team that I feel like, especially on Ron River, it's just plug in aging veteran milk toast quarterback for like two thousand years in rows, Like it's a new experience for them to go draft to Brooks.
Speaker 6: I mean, it might work out for the Patriots, but that win over the Broncos on whatever it was, Saturday night or Sunday night, it was like Christmas Eve and the fact that that you couldn't win one game down the stretch Ron RIVERA like, how did that team turn into a four win team? They go and steal that two pick and they're sitting pretty.
Speaker 1: That's stiff kicker, yours pipe's won with the game on the line after.
Speaker 5: Like missing fourteen kicks earlier.
Speaker 3: That's right. It does annoy me.
Speaker 1: I wish they had their welcome welcome to how the other half lived, Greg, it's not fun, all right?
Speaker 5: One more before we take a break.
Speaker 1: Patrick Queen, the linebacker, former first round pick of the Ravens who had a breakout season last year. Once Rokwan Smith hit the scene in Baltimore, he was able to leverage that not into a new deal with the Ravens, but a contract with the rival Steelers three years worth.
Speaker 5: Up to forty one million.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the real money is, but Queen goes to Pittsburgh another one mark that just makes sense.
Speaker 7: Well, it's too if there's two teams I could pick the league wide to make, you know, good use of these signings, Like it's it's Pittsburgh and it's the Ravens. It does feel like this is the free agency mailstrom where like you're getting a lot of like player goes from A to rival B and like there's some juicy storylines. You can already see that, Like when you know when Patrick Queen's lined up against the Ravens and Lamar Jackson in like Week three on Sunday Night Football, that's your storyline going in there.
Speaker 6: This this Steelers regime has really struggled to fix this inside linebacker position, something they used to be known for, and they've just been throwing good money after bad. They finally got a little more aggressive. They're usually not too aggressive in free agency, but the real money really is like a one year, fourteen million dollar contract. I think Patrick Queen would be high on the list of like guys who were most disappointed by the market he had when he got to free agency, Jordan Brooks, Frankie Luvu. They got better, but really all the off ball linebackers, none of them like hit it too big.
Speaker 5: All right, let's take another break and we will continue on.
Speaker 6: Before we take a break, let's do a little breaking news perfectly time.
Speaker 3: Breaking bangs.
Speaker 5: Bangs.
Speaker 6: The Steelers are sending wide receiver Deontay Johnson to the Caroline Panther. Hey, Bryce Young actually has a wide receiver.
Speaker 5: That's good.
Speaker 1: That's a good trade. I don't even know what the terms are.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 1: Nobody knows yet. Man, the Panthers need juice. Adam Thielen he for you know, all the tread on his tires. He put together a nice season for them, but they obviously need to fill the DJ Moore hole. And you know, does Deontay Johnson Is he a knucklehead?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: Is he a guy that you could trust to be your your down to down number one dude and anchor of the offense.
Speaker 6: We'll see, But he certainly has a talent. Now he gets open and we've got an update. It is a quite interesting trade, A player for player trade Deontay Johnson and a late pick. I think it's pick two forty what round is that sixth?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 6: And then the Steelers get Dante Jackson, very confusing Deontay Johnson for Dante Jackson. We give him a new name too, Dante Jackson, who is a kind of an up and down cornerback, but good when he's good, been good. And pick one seventy two, So the Steelers get one seventy eight, they get a Day three move up in the draft, and they get a cornerback in exchange for Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 3: I mean cornerbacks. They need cornerbacks in Pittsburgh. I get it.
Speaker 7: I think this seems Dante Jackson fits for the Steelers. I really think he does.
Speaker 6: It looks like a nasty sort of thing, really like Deontay Johnson.
Speaker 7: I mean that's I like Johnson, But I think if you're if you're inside the Steelers like world. Deontay Johnson had those weeks last year where he was, you know, accused of not putting in full effort, and I wonder if he burned Bridges. I mean, you know, he's here right, talked about in trades for a while, so it's like.
Speaker 1: But it's bitterly disappointing because he's so talented. But he I mean, his act obviously is what got him sent out of town, you know, and geez that. So the Panthers are taking a little bit of a roll the dice there in terms of who you're bringing in.
Speaker 5: But if it works, I think it's a good trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They It is so hard to get wide receivers, which is why throwing DJ more of all people into that trade I think really hurt Carolina.
Speaker 3: They felt.
Speaker 6: I mean, they need they need two more, but you can't start getting two to three good ones without one first. And he he gets open. I mean, he is a reception perception favorite. We've got another bit of breaking news. I think it's not it's not Carolina, but it is a fun one. You know, during the show, the top guy left on my top one oh one, daneil Hunter, he got taken off the guard. Now it's the second, the number two guy on the list or number three, Chauncey Gardner. Johnson is returning to the Eagles on a three year deal.
Speaker 5: Isn't that nice? Up to took a little one year break. There you go. Eagles are like, ooops, we messed up. Come home.
Speaker 6: They do feel like they messed up. I think with that James Bradbury contract they could have just given that money to Chauncey Gardner Johnson last year.
Speaker 1: But oh well, isn't a nice one. You could correct your error like that, like us with Van Ginkel.
Speaker 6: How many he's only been He's only twenty six years old, and it he has bounced around.
Speaker 3: But that was a perfect spot for them.
Speaker 6: And their secondary was rough last year, like as exciting as they were or they look offensively. I still have questions about the defense, but this helps.
Speaker 1: Yes, that late season collapse was almost unique, like you have not seen anything like that from where they started to where they finished. So changes are being made in Philly and we'll see what happens. Let's take a break and we will finish out the news and now another edition of NFL Media Insiders, Friends or Foes. Cowboys Receivers.
Speaker 6: Okay out, never mind, go ahead? It was mad.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Mike it he ends up paying attention.
Speaker 3: I'm talking. I'm not even on the screen. It's the voice of God. It's the voice of God.
Speaker 1: Tell me about something.
Speaker 2: Else, please.
Speaker 5: A couple of days.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, we're live, guys.
Speaker 5: I mean they're not. We're not going to tape.
Speaker 7: They're getting worn down with a you know, a barrage of news that seems to never end. I feel like the only one thing is is what life is about at this point, it's just NFL transactions.
Speaker 1: Let's hear another one, got another one. It's a good app so far.
Speaker 2: You know, Andrew if I May, is usually the most buttoned up, the most on the money of us all.
Speaker 9: So when even he is just.
Speaker 2: Like my bye by bad, I thought it was, you know, it's coming unraveled, and and that that worries me because we still got a couple of days left.
Speaker 3: I mean, Josie Jewel got us off the tracks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Josie on the tracks.
Speaker 7: The You almost have to say that our critique yesterday on various platforms.
Speaker 1: I'll say hour you mean, well, no, I made it a little personal, and I was I was taking I.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't have gone there like out of pocket, but when the topic came up, I went down the road. But it's like it was a bit of a flashpoint. Focus on some level a media like an understated because it just seems to be growing and growing.
Speaker 6: Like, wait, you're saying this could be the beginning of the end for the inside.
Speaker 7: No, I'm just saying that last it's twenty four hours later, and that tension seems to be only rising.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: You could also say an entire segment on the show called NFL Media Insiders, friends or foes might be teasing this as well.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 3: It's a good point.
Speaker 5: It's a concern.
Speaker 1: It would be good to do a flashpoint focus on the insiders and just have one of them one.
Speaker 5: Mike g unvarnished.
Speaker 7: But Mike G also like like what I love is he's willing to be just a tad remove from some of the deeper what it seems to be going on there from what we can tell, and he could give us, you know, not a one sided opinion, but sort of.
Speaker 5: Maybe we can get my maybe we'll get make on next week. I'm sure he'd be to discuss the status. I think that actually would. He might get a text about it after the appearance. But all right, let's get back into it.
Speaker 1: Uh bye, By so yes, Tyrod Taylor leaves the Giants. He gets replaced by Drew Locke. The Jets ruined their season last year. That's not a That's not an overstatement by not addressing quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers, by by going with Zach Wilson, who had given them no indication of an ability to play starting quarterback in the NFL at a high level through two years, to then say he was the backup and in only the Jets moment Rogers blows his achilles, We're gonna get to Rogers in a second on the fourth play of the season. Wilson is a train wreck. They end up using a bunch of quarterbacks. Season ruined with the great defense. Tyrod Taylor now joins the Fray, and Tyrod Taylor is like the backups backup like he is if Jake briskett Is is president of the Backups Club, Tyrod Taylor might be vice president like Aaron Rodgers might be vice president soon. But like I love like Tyrod is a backup, I don't like durability concerns.
Speaker 5: We already have a forty year old quarterback.
Speaker 1: But I can't say anything else other than okay, you've professionally filled the backup spot this year. Unlike last year Joe Douglas. So from that, from that standpoint, good job by the Jets. They also address their offensive line in some way. Ravens guard John Simpson, who is a starter for all nineteen games for them last year, he gets signed to a contract, so he immediately becomes one of their starting guards. And they also take a flyer on former forty nine ers first round picture von kin Law, who signs a one year deal with the team.
Speaker 6: Love Tyrod loved the bizarre transformation he made love the Jets agreeing with me and not Nick Westling, who who thought Tyrod was way too high in the ranks. He was like eighty something. It's like, calm down Tyrod used to be. You know, in my mind, Tyrod was always overly safe, Like he can run and he's got a good arm, but he's just like very conservative. And then when he came in last year, he was like, this career might be ending soon. I'm gonna turn into Ryan Freakin Fitzpatrick. He led the NFL by far according to PFF in big time throw rate.
Speaker 5: He was slinging the pill.
Speaker 6: Seventeen big time throws in very limited sample size. But you know, if you if it's anyone over fifty dropbacks in league he had. He had a couple hundred, easily number one. And it's a good list too. It's Stafford, Josh Allen, Gino, Dak, you know, Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Like it's a good list. He's slaying it and and he's.
Speaker 7: Like the hoole Zach Wilson thing beyond Like his actual play, it was just a weekly storyline and there was drama and then at some point he and Rodgers you're hearing about worn as close as you thought. It's like Tyrod Taylor brings zero drama and the Jets could you a player like that? Just he's not going to get into the headlines as far as we know. Probably he will, that's how it works. But he also seems to get hurt like well, right, historability is like is a continuing narrative everywhere he goes.
Speaker 5: But hopefully he doesn't have to play at all.
Speaker 6: And John Simpson a nice little moller you know, will blow up, blow up by your opposing defensive lineman with some splash blocks some.
Speaker 1: Of his his pop the hood analytics suggest he is after an up and down star to his career, maybe a good signing, so I hope. So now Aaron Rodgers is still the QB one. Ostensibly he hasn't really played for them yet, but we get everything else with Aaron Rodgers, including this from the New York Times. Hit it Eric the New York Times. This is the headline that broke, That broke. About an hour and a half ago, Aaron Rodgers and Jesse Ventura top RFK Junior's list for running mate.
Speaker 5: Here's the lead by Rebecca Davis O'Brien. Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy Junior has recently approached the NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the former min governor and professional wrestler Jesse Ventura about serving as his running mate on an independent presidential ticket, and both have welcomed the overtures. Two people familiar with the discussions said, we have a lot of overseas listeners. It is almost a certainty that it will be Donald Trump versus Joe Biden in the November presidential election.
Speaker 5: One of those two guys will most likely become president.
Speaker 1: RFK who seems like a nut and is a big anti vaxxer and all that other stuff, and I don't even care enough. Don't come at me with Actually RFK is good. I don't care. Just take it somewhere else. He will. He's the ross perrot of this election for people that are old enough. Can he take votes away from one of these the Democrat of the Republican So he does potentially have a big role in this election. And the fact that Aaron Rodgers potentially is mulling the idea of being vice president tells me again, and let you know that I'm on record. I've said I said it a month ago on the show. I feel terribly about this upcoming Jets season. Aaron Rodgers who came out and said after the year, no more distractions. Now he's in talks to be a vice presidential candidate. And by the way, when Mark is the president, but right in.
Speaker 7: The heart of the NFL season and when it takes months and months and hours and hunt.
Speaker 1: This is the very beating heart of the election process, when you're on the run up to the election and you're traveling criss crossing the country.
Speaker 3: The autumn into late autumn, and then you remember October.
Speaker 1: So I mean, Aaron, come back to us number one for even kind of allowing this to get to this point. But I'm sure he will explain it in a way that makes sense to him. The fact that it's coming from The Times and is reported by all the highest or most respected media outlets.
Speaker 3: He said it.
Speaker 6: He's on record saying that that those are those are at the top of his list, and he's talking to Rogers consistently. Rogers, you know, just a few years ago was quoted scene I'm an athlete, not an activist, and you know, said he didn't want to be treated that way. Now he has a legitimate chance to be the vice presidential candidate. And this isn't just like like lately in American politics, when there's a third or fourth party on the ballot, they don't.
Speaker 3: Get any meaningful vote.
Speaker 6: It can be anywhere from like less than one percent to you know, two to three percent something like that. At least right now, you know, it appears that RFK Junior has a chance to get like a side, not a chance to win, but a chance to get a sizeable part of the electorate to vote for him anywhere you know, from ten to twenty percent something like that, and Aaron Rodgers might be on that ticket.
Speaker 1: Can't fix stupid.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine this was actually.
Speaker 7: He's married to Cheryl Curb your Indea, yeah, something, I think that she'd be We probably should stop talking.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be terribly I mean, I'd be disappointed by the overall boondoggle when it was over. But if Rogers decided to retire tomorrow to take this run seriously with Kennedy, I don't think that would be the worst thing for the Jets.
Speaker 6: What if he runs ani plays for the Jets. Nothing's off the table right now. In a weekly McAfee appearance becomes like his stumping instead of traveling the country.
Speaker 7: He just well, actually, because if you were, like, you're voting for a quarterback who could be like unfurling heroics every Sunday versus clunky speeches, it might be a better place for vice presidents to aren't seen in high esteem typically.
Speaker 5: Does this sound like anybody you know in the NFL?
Speaker 1: Mister Kennedy seventy as in recent years become prominent for his vaccine skepticism and his promotion of conspiracy theories about the federal government and public health apparatus.
Speaker 3: Hmm, yeah, there seems to be it's a you know, there's a match there.
Speaker 1: Mark, Greg You're saying, let's move on. But that's the news, dude, this is in the New York Times.
Speaker 3: Bra It's crazy, man.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, this isn't us just like shooting from the hip.
Speaker 6: Right, No, No, I know, but we're gonna get the there is you know, we're gonna hear from the RFK junior Bros. And there's no group that's more annoying I get. I guess maybe the Aaron Rodgers bros. They're all is one. Lions gave up, let's move on. Okay, the Lions got Carlton Davis. To receive Carlton.
Speaker 1: Davis, they gave up a twenty twenty four third round pick and two six So that's a nice move by Detroit, who really need to make upgrades to their defense and Davis helps there. They also added Marcus Davenport and cornerback A Meek Robertson, so the operation in Detroit making moves as well.
Speaker 6: Little surprising that the Bucks did this, but it just was kind of a cap move. Carlton Davis is a number one type of cornerback when he's right, but like so many cornerbacks, it's a tough position to like. Pick a guy long term, he'll look like a pro bowler one year and kind of disappoint the next. He's had some injury issues, but little surprising. The Bucks gave up on him, Like.
Speaker 5: If Aaron Rodgers retired, my choice have to be soon.
Speaker 1: By the way, he'd have to get like the guaranteed money goes away, right, Like that goes back into the coffers.
Speaker 7: I would say one thing about him. I think he would not try to fleece the Jets financially.
Speaker 1: I think he would.
Speaker 6: He says he had some interview. He says he wants to play four more years lately recently.
Speaker 5: No, he's talking about being president. Yeah, he wants to do someone else for more years. Arah, I'm Robert F. Kennedy. Rah Rah, welcome Aroon to the stage.
Speaker 1: Arah Rah, All right.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Seahawks Keith Leonard Williams and uh tight end Noah Fan they bring him back on new deals. The Dolphins also staying busy, signing line linebacker Jordan Brooks, Shaq Barrett, Mark, senator Aaron Brewer, and linebacker Anthony Walker.
Speaker 3: Dude, Dolphins fans, it's not all doom and gloom. You're still making making moves.
Speaker 1: You like the Shaq Barrett signing, Mark I was like, I was officially wrong about Shaq Barrett about a half a decade ago when I thought like he had that one five cent game where I was like, it's just sort of a flash in the pan. He was much more than that pro bowler.
Speaker 3: Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like an anchor to a super Bowl winning team. So X marks the spot on a bad opinion by me have a Decadey's.
Speaker 5: A nice signing a bad opinion.
Speaker 1: I also would say, is let's team up Jameis Winston with Deshaun Watson on the same in the same quarterback room.
Speaker 3: Did you read what Jameis Winston said?
Speaker 5: No, so he basically.
Speaker 7: He had other offers, and he said he wants to go to Cleveland specifically, he feels like it's almost like a spiritual calling to go and work directly with the Shawn Watson. It's a very Jamis Winston social media posting it out there.
Speaker 5: But like that's why you chose.
Speaker 1: To like be his Bengali or I think to like to help him guide him spiritually, help him grow.
Speaker 7: That was the Jamis Winston. Yes, that was the intonation. If you read, well, he I.
Speaker 6: Don't know if you've seen he's he's done some pastor type work. There were some great clips of him speaking in church while holding a baby and making a very that's good thrilling talk.
Speaker 3: Weird weird Q bed the.
Speaker 5: Baby get intercepted shortly thereafter.
Speaker 3: Very thrilling. I mean, he's a legend.
Speaker 6: That is uh gonna go down as one of the best last snaps ever.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to you knew it was over and he had the fakes that the fake kneel down.
Speaker 5: That's how it ends with the Saints. I can't get over.
Speaker 1: And that's amazing that he's going to help Deshaun Watson see the light.
Speaker 6: Getting good backup money, which does to me indicate, Look, they wanted they wanted something that could play.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they had the best backup in the league last year and he's a free agent. His name is Joe Flacco.
Speaker 7: I'm with you, I think, but I think we've talked this, like I think the Joe Flacco presence and what he created last year was probably like, is this too much of a distraction if wattraction continues to.
Speaker 3: Awesome? I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I think I just I think that's an element here between the fans and maybe the locker room and whatnot.
Speaker 1: They just so we bring in a known knucklehead and jamis that no one will have.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's okay. Now I understand.
Speaker 6: I mean, he is a no knucklehead, but I think teams enjoy the experienced.
Speaker 7: Teammates like him. Though, well that does in football, that does, Matt. I'm not sure that's it's true of the roster. Listen, we just finished.
Speaker 1: My quarterback is mulling a VP run with an insane person. But the idea that you would pair Winston and let Flacco walk is one of the crazier moves I've seen so far this week.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 7: They did add they did keep Zadarias Smith, which I think is very important to edge rust the pastor across from Miles Garrett.
Speaker 5: He was a big difference last year.
Speaker 1: Is everyone because Flacco hasn't obviously you haven't heard his name connected anywhere. Is everyone of the belief that that was just a little hot streak.
Speaker 5: And he's now no longer.
Speaker 1: He said he wants to start.
Speaker 7: I mean, any quarterback would say that Cleveland seemed like the logical spot he wanted to go to.
Speaker 6: He's been connected with the Titans I think would be a good backup spot.
Speaker 1: Yes, you mentioned Smith. Maurice Hurst. Niheim Hines running back also joins that room. Of course, Nick Chubb coming back from a really ugly knee injury and subsequent surgery. Afternoon Delight, eight o'clock. Delight thou the afternoon, either the morning or the night. It's not the afternoon, Gregee. Lavonte David stays with the Bucks. Wow, he's a Bucks lifer, just like Mikey Evans. The Rams spring back, cornerback Darius Williams, Kenny Moore staying in Indy on a three year, thirty million dollar deal, and the Panthers continue their spending guard Damian Lewis, linebacker Josie Jewel and also Ashawn Robinson.
Speaker 3: Anything are spending a ton of money.
Speaker 6: Damian Lewis got a big contract, so they gave two huge contracts.
Speaker 3: The interior alignment.
Speaker 6: They think that's the key to keeping their diminutive quarterback up.
Speaker 7: Right, Does any t even bring back X safeties and cornerbacks more than the Rams?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 6: They done it with playing well with Jacksonville and yeah, but now he's playing he's going back.
Speaker 1: The Titans signed former charges first round pick Kenneth Murray, the Bills bring back day Kwon Jones. The Chiefs signed Deon Bush to a new deal, and Irv Smith welcome aboard. So there's a new piece of the offense for Patrick Mahomes. The tight end Veterans tight end. Bears signed tight end Gerald Everett, Eagles signed Devonte Parker formerly of the Pats. Packers bring back all pro return slot corner Accusian Nixon.
Speaker 5: Anything on those.
Speaker 6: Patrick Mahomes restructured his contract to open up a lot of space as we enter the new league here on Wednesday, where trades could happen. Just something to keep an eye on with the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: Nice, We'll be right back.
Speaker 9: I am Paul Sheeer, and I am here to present the Best Sports Podcast, and I'd really just like to take a moment here to see how far we've come, because we just used to listen to dudes who didn't play sports talk about professional athletes, and now we listen to professional players talk about athletes.
Speaker 5: A lot class it's pretty great.
Speaker 9: And now our nominees for the Best Sports Podcast.
Speaker 1: Are the nominees for best Sports All.
Speaker 5: Member share from the best week ever New Heights, We're probably Vikings, there's probably some Viking blood down the line.
Speaker 10: So I was lifting weights down the shore one time and one of the guys was like, you definitely have Viking blood in you club. But normally people that people normally te know the true with the kids, drugs and angry people.
Speaker 5: So were you not a kid angry?
Speaker 9: I'm angry.
Speaker 10: But if you ever thought it'd be fun to like, like, hey, let's just try to hit forty one free throws in a row with your friends, It's not fun.
Speaker 5: It's not fun.
Speaker 1: It's not fun, especially if a lot of your friends don't play basketball around.
Speaker 6: The patient when he needed to, being aggressive when he needed to, and just always doing the right thing, because that's what great quarterbacks did.
Speaker 3: The Damn Leotard Show.
Speaker 2: Olsen and Romo make you feel like they're enjoying their Sunday as much as you are.
Speaker 9: Brady's starting point is products mediocre.
Speaker 5: The moment I leave the field, here we go.
Speaker 9: Everybody buckle up, and the winner for the iHeart Best Sports Podcast Ghost.
Speaker 3: To Club Shame.
Speaker 1: Boom well Blue Boo Boo boo boo. I had this, Losers, we lost. I had the are losers feeling.
Speaker 7: Mounting feeling that we were brought there by corporate types because we're going to win. But then when we got there to this this actual predicted Yes. Well when you when I because I was like, there's no way Shannon Sharp's coming this, but they flew us here. But then the minute Shannon Sharp like walk through the doorway. And then when we also found out that there was a roped off section for a level of talent. Yeah, and we were not allowed into that ropes off section. We're winning this.
Speaker 1: That's when the first class and champagne days were over. When I saw literal red velvet ropes and a gleaming white couch for one of our competitors, and while we were stuck amongst the riff raff, I said, I don't think this is going our way, And sure enough you would say, wowsh club Shasha. You know that was a big Shannon Sharp. The Cat Williams interview, that was, you know, the viral hit of the year. I can't believe they beat the Kelsey Brothers. Well, then the next category was best Podcast of the Year. Kelsey Brothers took that home. They had a video recording of Travis and Jason with just the veagus idea what they were even accepting, especially Travis. Travis seemed to be completely in another world. But congratulations to all the winners, right, it is an honor to be an on DoD as you heard from that crew. Those are all huge podcasts. So the iHeart Podcast Awards, we were there.
Speaker 5: It was cool. We thank iHeart and they flew us down there not to win.
Speaker 1: That's the last time I ever go to award show and don't win. And if that means I don't go to another award show, so be it. But I will never go and lose.
Speaker 7: There was because there was a point where we were like, wait, or have other losers been flown here?
Speaker 1: Right? We started asking We started at a certain point after a couple of drinks.
Speaker 5: Is the open bar was open? You start asking hard questions.
Speaker 1: It was like, is there anyone else connected with a podcast nominated that's not a winner tonight?
Speaker 3: And literally that's standing right.
Speaker 7: And I came to the conclusion that we were alone in that category and that maybe they were behind the scenes, like you know, the ruse was on and we were being snickered out through the whole forty eight hour process.
Speaker 5: It was sorious individual.
Speaker 6: I did not share your guys's optimism. Even on the way there, I was hiding behind the like, hey, one in five chants like I wouldn't give us any more than that, Why would you expect to?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Probably in my heart, I if I had known Shannon Sharp was there.
Speaker 6: That was That was the moment where that we didn't have a chance. And yes, they have all these roped off good couches and they have different personalities. Kyle McLaughlin was there, Chris Pine was there, Adam Devine, popular podcaster or YouTuber, Bobby Altaf was there and there, and I just you know, I'm someone who wants to find out and just make sure even though it sure didn't seem like we had access to those couches. But Dan witnessed, you know what what he termed a very embarrassing moment of me. I wasn't gonna bring it up, making sure that we couldn't get into those couches, and you know, seeing if I could get in there, and I was told no, my I did not have access to that. And I thought, well, at least I got my boy Dan backing me up here. But Dan Dan quietly walked away from me as I well.
Speaker 1: Once I saw the like the six foot eight, three hundred and forty pound bouncer type dude in front of the velvet ropes give a greg a look like what like, okay, I'm gonna take a just about a half step back here, not to be connected to a very low moment in history, and the mean look did it didn't my pride a tiny bit, like a tiny bit, But I think the calculation was worth it.
Speaker 6: If I haven't hadn't even three percent chance of sitting on that couch for the show instead of standing.
Speaker 3: I wanted to find out for sure. I wanted to make sure.
Speaker 5: Always ask someone else to ask. Is one of the good new from that situation.
Speaker 1: If you're if your talent, especially, don't don't actually be the one like sir, can.
Speaker 3: I get behind Well, I you know my plan.
Speaker 5: I think you.
Speaker 1: Actually had to say we're talent, which is a tough to say that we're talent.
Speaker 3: I don't think I go back there. I didn't say that.
Speaker 6: I My plan was to just walk in there confidently, because that's a it's a lesson in less that if you're going somewhere you you're not supposed to be just look like you belong. But he stepped, he stepped forward, and the rope was unless the guy that looks like.
Speaker 5: I don't. Yeah, yeah, humbling experience on various fronts. We do.
Speaker 1: We did get And like I said, congratulations to Shannon Sharpe.
Speaker 6: You know what, he was very He made a very heartfelt speech that actually showed it meant a lot to him and knows like, Okay, you gotta give it to him.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I do would say we have to give it to him, but I would say, you know, he did. He's had a meteoric rise in the industry. And good for him.
Speaker 5: He's club Shaysha follows him everywhere he goes. He did.
Speaker 1: He did have something to say about us as well.
Speaker 3: I called the president President, we need a national guard.
Speaker 5: We need as many mean as you can spare.
Speaker 1: Coup we are killing them heroes.
Speaker 6: Now that's turned into a low moment in Patriots history and my own personal histories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, cool open bar had some good barbecue before Terry Blacks with their old buddy Matt Tanton. Yeah, and and another experience, another notch on the belt.
Speaker 5: Humbling, but also.
Speaker 7: Well it also it instills in us a sense of revenge. We'll be back. I think that's what I think. They little they little fire under.
Speaker 6: Our shoulders, you said, Dan, as this was happening, This is just so perfect for our podcast. It just makes so much sense how how it all sort of played out, and you know what, and we and we talked about it afterwards too. That was a scene because it was a strange, you know, it was an award show. It was it was strange to be there. On some level, we thought Chris Chris would have really gotten a kick out of it.
Speaker 3: Slash been disgusted by it. We probably enjoyed it in the end. It would have.
Speaker 1: Probably it was an open bar. Chris would have enjoyed that as well. I think it would have been. I think we all were enjoying the It was kind of an outrageous scene the way, and it was live, It streamed live and everything. So anyway, like my wife was watching it live at my son's little league game, so she got to see a lose.
Speaker 7: And she doesn't listen to a single episode of the pod, so that kind of you got her to participate.
Speaker 5: That's true, And I did.
Speaker 1: I sent a text because I had alerted my parents that we were going to be in Texas and we were up for an award, And when I texted Devin Keith that we lost to share Shannon Sharp. My father's response, sponsor is always his texting is always as many men age, very taut.
Speaker 5: It's very straight to the point. We lost the Shan Shannon Sharp.
Speaker 3: I never cared for him.
Speaker 1: I don't take it. I don't feel that way about Shannon. But I'm glad that dad has as our back.
Speaker 5: Oh. He also added, I didn't see this.
Speaker 1: One and bad on predictions, so kind of get ah okay in terms of his punditry as well.
Speaker 5: I thought he meant our prediction that we were going to win also bad.
Speaker 1: All right, anything else we got tomorrow is the official start of the league year. Now I feel like we're doing too many shows. We're gonna do a Tomorrow's show and then we'll see what comes after that. But make sure you tune in because we're going to have what's out what's out there?
Speaker 5: What's the biggest thing still out there?
Speaker 7: I'd say, I don't think anything gonna happen to like the Justin Field situation.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a little strange for.
Speaker 6: Justin Okay, So only six of the top twenty five are available even starting that list or the six on Monday, and that that's like a list the top. The entire top thirteen off the original list are gone. But who are the six and from my top twenty five? Tyrant Smith, Calvin Ridley, Kendall Fuller, Marquise Brown not much of a market for him, Stefan Gilmour, Chase Young who is reportedly going to take a couple of visits in uric Armstead, who probably shouldn't even be on this list because it was reported he was going to be released. I have some doubts whether this is going to actually happen on Wednesday. But that's uh, that's the six, But seventeen of the top fifty forty six of the one oh one overall, these are you.
Speaker 7: Know, we are getting to the point where like, yeah, we can make a four hundred and seventy five item news list, but a lot of the big names.
Speaker 3: No. But here's what good happen?
Speaker 6: Is like that Mahomes restructuring that I mentioned, the trades, anything kind of surprising on the trade front, I think still could happen Wednesday, Thursday.
Speaker 1: One week prediction. What's happened?
Speaker 5: One big signing or trader.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I'll say, I'll mention you have Smith at top your list, Harry Smith. Yeah, Jet's been big on him, and bring in Smith.
Speaker 5: That's my prediction. Justin Jefferson has moved.
Speaker 3: Oh Stow, now you're just getting old, the old Sessler.
Speaker 5: Hail Mary at it again.
Speaker 7: There are a little little chirpings and whispers out there that I mentioned.
Speaker 5: That's how you'd hate.
Speaker 6: Our friend wrote up Pat how we you know, lost to Club Shasha and he said it was probably his Justin Herbert for four first round picks prediction that that.
Speaker 5: That hurt us.
Speaker 1: The voters did make just seem curious voters had mentioned Pats Herbert talk.
Speaker 6: I think I think we get a Chargers trade. I think we get a Joey Bosa trade. If we want to get wildly specific, let's go Joey Bosa to the Niners, even though they've signed a couple of passers. Why not, you know, team up the Bosa brothers. I saw, you know, how about.
Speaker 5: The Chiefs make a substantial move on offense?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, they've done very little. How about like, all right, I'll do something with them. The realm of real Branda Brandon Ayuk.
Speaker 5: Traded to the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Wow, they couldn't do now there are whispers about Ayuk, Yes, no, yeah, there are, and they have a needed wide receiver.
Speaker 7: Like the I don't I don't like the I don't like them doing that in general. It's like then they're one injury away from having exactly the opposite of what they had last year.
Speaker 3: Patriots and to the Chiefs.
Speaker 6: I've read if they lose out on the Calvin Ridley sweep steaks, they could dive into the trade market. They're just sort of like trying to plug holes and they might try to get in on the t Higgins or Ayuk or on a lower level Keenan Allen.
Speaker 1: Something and nothing from the Cowboys seems weird. I feel like they're gonna want to make a splash. That's yeah.
Speaker 7: They got like Dak Prescott's brother tweeting ill words about the Cowboys front office compared to the Eagles.
Speaker 1: All Right, we don't need to envy the Eagles after that last season. Everyone's so quick to just dive back in on the Eagles.
Speaker 5: I know, but we lose.
Speaker 1: It's like aragon of how an agency is like like watch the mental Disorder.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it does. All right, that's it. Let's go, let's get out of you. It's time. It's been a long day, it's been a long three days. But we'll be back. Until then, either call