Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Jannis Poutellis, Randall Williams, Corey Calkins, Mackenzie, Elm Twist Chili, Sam James, and Maddie Laman. Maddie, this is your first time on the show. Tell folks what you do here at meat Eater.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm on the email marketing team here at me Eater, So I just send emails out for all of our brands. I kind of designed them, write them and build them. And if you ever received an email from me and there's a spelling air, now you know who to blame.
Speaker 1: See, there's nobody checking your work before it goes on. It's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: We've got a little bit of a check process, but you know, things slip through the cracks.
Speaker 1: Now and then, how do you feel about your chances at Meat Eater Trivia.
Speaker 3: I think if it's a question about the Upper Peninsula Michigan, I can do really well.
Speaker 4: Okay, other than that, it's going.
Speaker 1: To be complete. Guess did Mackenzie have to twist your arm to come in and play today absolutely illustragged. Yeah, you can't take you feel good about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I volunt told her when I messaged you.
Speaker 1: Good on you. If you're not familiar. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, Fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Each week here on Trivia, we reveal a new stat for the stand of the week. This week, we're looking at the price of meat Eater Trivia the board game.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: The game comes out this fall and it will cost twenty five dollars. That purchase gets you seven whiteboards, seven markers, a timer, and most importantly, eight hundred questions from our four verticals. That means each question costs you just three cents. Here are some other things that you can buy with three pennies are real prices, by the way, three tea spoons of unleaded gasoline to McDonald's French fries, three hours of a Netflix subscription, fifty six yards of an uber ride, or two flushes of a toilet. How do you feel about that, Yanni, A.
Speaker 6: Lot of value in that board game that you're putting out there.
Speaker 1: How many are you gonna buy for Christmas this year? You think, hmm, that's a good question. Everyone in my life is getting one. If you're listening to this and you know me and you normally get a Christmas present mom, dad, they're gonna get media your trivia board game this year?
Speaker 6: Are they gonna enjoy it?
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 7: I think it doesn't mature in future iterations of that list. You should leave off the two flushes of a toilet because pretty a lot of utility in that compared to one question.
Speaker 1: Stay out of this randall are you gonna?
Speaker 8: Are you gonna hand out the trivia board game to your contestants?
Speaker 5: Take?
Speaker 1: We'll see if maybe if you win a game Chile you could get one.
Speaker 6: So I'm never I think that makes it seem that there's still a lot of value to each questions, right, because you're playing so much value on those two flash through.
Speaker 7: Because fifty yards of an uber lyft does not get too much, but but two flushes of a toilet goes a long way.
Speaker 4: Depends on what he needs.
Speaker 7: So I don't know if he's trying to make a claim, and like, yeah, I thought.
Speaker 1: That he should have maybe left the uber.
Speaker 7: I thought that the other comparisons were to show what a what a great deal relative to the rest that a question was.
Speaker 1: Now Meat Eater Trivia. The board game will be out this fall for the low low price of an eighteen inch Apple phone charger USB port not included. Now here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode three seventy eight. The topic was wildlife and no he got it right. If you know the answer, you can just shout it out. How many continents have penguins? What do you guess is wrong and wrong?
Speaker 6: One wrong?
Speaker 1: Correct answer is four. The incorrect answers given in that game were two, three, and five. The four continents are Antarctica, South America, Africa, and Australia. Africa Africa has I think it's every continent in the southern hemisphere has penguins. Madagascar, right, I think that's right, not a continent, but right part of Africa.
Speaker 7: You're basing that off of the movie fig.
Speaker 1: We have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia. We had a question about what color of bell pepper is the sweetest. The correct answer was red, and that remains true, But my explanation of bell pepper colors afterwards was not. Here's what I got terribly wrong. It is a myth that bell peppers mature by going from green to yellow to orange to red. Green, yellow, orange, and red bell peppers all come from different plants, but they do all start out as the color green and turn one of those other colors when they're mature. There are some exceptions to the rule, like if a yellow bell pepper gets too much sun, it can turn orange, but for the most part, each color of bell pepper is its own variety. Now, again the answer remains the same. Red bell peppers are the sweetest bell peppers, but they do not turn yellow or orange before reaching that color. How does that hit you, Yanni is does that seem right? What have you known that? I don't think you were here for that game.
Speaker 6: I wasn't here for that game, and I probably would have guessed that it went from green to yellow to orange to red.
Speaker 1: But the question was what is the sweetest color of bell pepper? What have you known? It was red.
Speaker 6: No, I would have guessed it.
Speaker 4: Also has to do with male or female Bell Pepper, did you know that?
Speaker 1: I don't know if that dictates the sweetness.
Speaker 4: That could be, And not in terms of colors, but in terms of like if you have two red ones and ones' and male and one there's a female, one's better for cooking and one's better for eating.
Speaker 1: I think there's something with male and female. Probably getting this wrong and it's going to be a future correction, so I shouldn't even bring it up, but I think there's something with lobes on the bottom. It's like three versus four.
Speaker 4: I don't remember which ones which.
Speaker 1: The Shelby Index for today's round is a five, so I'm officially putting us on perfect score alert. With that, we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop Phill, Wow, very impressive.
Speaker 6: Listen. After being at Chester Show last night, I could see we could have a little smoke machine and the thick lights do this different directions and then all the lights drop. Phil, what do you think what it would it take for all that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that same guy you were going to talk about about kickball, you should go talk to him about.
Speaker 1: I think Phil would also need another hand or two over there to be running all these things. He's already maxed out. He uses all ten fingers and toes to get all the right levers and buttons. Question one. The topic is hunting, and this will be multiple choice. Which of these predators is not tracked in the Booning Crocket record books? Is it cougar, polar bear, wolf, or grizzly bear? Which of these predators is not tracked in the Booning Crocket record Books? Cougar, polar bear, wolf, grizzly bear? Randal and Chili with quick answers, Chili, Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: Oh? I'm about.
Speaker 1: Okay, Randall, you have this one with certainty.
Speaker 7: Never certain, well certain and very rare circumstances.
Speaker 5: Feel pretty good about this? Agan?
Speaker 1: Your choice is are cougar, polar bear, wolf or grizzly bear? Yannie? How about you? You have this one right?
Speaker 6: Thanks so, Randal? Have you ever entered an animal into the Boone and Crockett record books?
Speaker 7: No, I haven't. I've I've gotten one measured.
Speaker 1: Did it not score or you didn't? It was shy? It was shy? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying polar bear, Chili saying wolf, Randall's saying wolf, Corey saying grizzly, Maddie saying wolf, Mackenzie saying grizzly bear, Yannie saying wolf. The correct answer is wolf. The room did very well, Sucker, Corey. The minimum score for a cougar is fourteen and eight six teens, for a grizzly bear is twenty three, and for a polar bear is twenty seven. Popejong also tracks records for these three animals, and, similar to Boone and Crockett, does not have a scoring system for wolves, but some game agencies, like the Alberta Fish and Game Association do track wolf sizes. They score wolves the same way they score bears or cougars, which is by taking length and width measurements of the skull.
Speaker 6: Did you when you were researching this today? Does sci do it?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. It's a good question. I but guess they don't. I'm not sure. Question two the topic is conservation. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Titus mckenti for sending this great question. Titus is going to get a book signed by Steve. According to the USGS, there are eight states that have glaciers. Name five of them. According to the USGS, there are eight states that have glaciers. I need you to name five of them, Yanni on your phone over here, Yanni, I don't think you would stand for that. If say that.
Speaker 6: I need to do the follow up for about sci Wow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, here's here's a little peek behind the curtain. We teased it on last episode. Yanni is going to host an episode himself coming up very soon, and I'm gonna play.
Speaker 6: What else did you tease about that?
Speaker 1: Pretty much the exact same thing.
Speaker 6: Well, I think people want to know why we're going to do that, and.
Speaker 1: I I am nervous. I would prefer I would prefer to host. I don't have to prove anything about my own knowledge being on this side of the table. I think there's a chance, Yanni, you could do a poor job, and that may makes me look really good. So I'm excited if if that happens. Either way, I win. Either I get to take an episode off and not host and it goes really well, or I get to take an episode off and it goes terribly and then everyone's like, Wow, Spencer's pretty good at this.
Speaker 6: But what about just the personal enjoyment of getting to play mediat or trivia.
Speaker 1: I will enjoy watching you host more than I will enjoy playing Listen.
Speaker 6: I guarantee you, alb, I'm going to be more nervous relaying.
Speaker 1: Okay again, the question is, according to the USGS, there are eight states that have glaciers. I need you to name five of them. How's it going, Mackenzie? Feel good about your five?
Speaker 4: No? Can I do more than Nope?
Speaker 1: No, do more and you will get it wrong. Randal, I think you and Corey are the only one's done. Maybe you have this one right, Randall, I think so.
Speaker 7: I've gone back and forth on which state I wanted to include for my fifth slot.
Speaker 1: Okay, but four, the five you're confident in.
Speaker 7: Well, I I'm pretty confident in five as well. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to go for like a reach or like a safe one.
Speaker 1: That I'm there, you know, it's just Yanni. I think we are waiting on you. Is my fault? I distracted you with all the host talks.
Speaker 6: We're doing good. I'm close. I've got four. I've got four Oh, come to me, babe.
Speaker 7: Isn't there typically a time limit on questions?
Speaker 1: There is not.
Speaker 5: You mentioned that there's a timer. There was a time when you said that. I found that interesting.
Speaker 1: Now, personally, Randal, if it was me and I was playing the board game, I throw that timer out. But it's in there if you'd like to. I imagine Randall, you're a stickler for board game rules. That be true. Oh yeah, he would use the timer. It's your choice.
Speaker 7: We're actually just talking about my my, my pension for following and observing and knowing rules board games.
Speaker 1: Lad Does everybody have five answers? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying Alaska, Washington, Montana, Oregon, California, Chile saying Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Randall saying Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, Corey saying Washington, California, Montana, Oregon, and Alaska. Maddie saying Alaska, Montana, Washington, Colorado, Wyoming. Mackenzie saying Alaska, Montana, Washington, Idaho, Colorado. Jannis saying Alaska, Colorado, Montana, Washington, Oregon. The eight states are Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Nevada. I think where a few folks went wrong as they included Idaho, which is not on the list.
Speaker 4: How was the one that I was questioning?
Speaker 5: Interesting?
Speaker 1: Utah and Idaho used to have a glacier, but both have shrunk to a size that no longer meets the USGS definition of a glacier. There are about one hundred thousand glaciers in the United States, with the biggest being the Baring Glacier in Alaska. The glacier and its associated ice fields cover about two thousand square miles. Question three. The topic is cooking. Anthony Bourdain once told Oprah that the reason restaurant food tastes better than home food is because chefs you so much of this. Here's the question again, The topic is cooking. Anthony Bourdain once told Oprah that the reason restaurant food tastes better than home food, and that is a quote, is because chefs you so much of this A confident answer from Yanni. Yanni, do you know this one or you just have an educated guess? Educated guess, You'll have to tell us about your restaurant days after this and see if it rings true. For you. Randall, without an answer.
Speaker 5: Random should open up a restaurant.
Speaker 1: I feel like you have a few things you're you're torn between over there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've got a few different ideas, but I have no way of.
Speaker 5: Choosing between them.
Speaker 1: Anthony Bradaine once told Oprah that the reason restaurant food tastes better than home food is because chefs you so much of this. Has anyone in this room been to a glacier? We do have some in Yeah, Tana, I've been to a glacier, Glacier National Park or somewhere else, Bend a stone glacier. Which one did you visit?
Speaker 10: Sam, I've been to a glacier Nash Park. I've been to glaciers in Chili, in South America. Oh, Ben, a glaciers in British Columbia skiing.
Speaker 1: You skied on the glacier? Whoah? Yeah, very cool. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying butter, Chili saying MSG, Randall's saying butter, Cory saying MSG, Maddie saying salt, Mackenzie saying salt, Yannis saying salt. We have a correct answer in the room. It's butter. A few people got that right, I think Randall and Sam. Here is one minute of that interview from two thousand and one. Take it away, Phil. I think one of the things you said that you can just saying that piece is that we would be shocked at how much butter goes into everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope I haven't frightened anyone away. But it is usually the first thing and the last thing, and just about every pan.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why restaurant food tastes better than home food a lot of the times.
Speaker 5: Even when you say, look, I'm really I don't want any butter, or I don't.
Speaker 6: Want to eat no.
Speaker 2: If you say absolutely no butter, just about every chef I know will of course refer but most things have butter because butter makes things taste better. Yeah, it's a chef secret.
Speaker 5: At Mellows Sauces.
Speaker 2: It gives it that that restaurant sheeen and a multified consistency that we love and it's you know, it's classic.
Speaker 1: Well it tastes good. Yeah, nothing like it and.
Speaker 2: It tastes good. So you say that, But the average person they go out to dinner eats about a quarter stick of butter.
Speaker 5: And doesn't know it.
Speaker 2: Well, assuming, assuming you're going to a French restaurant, classic French restaurant, and you have a little bread and butter, you know, but waiting for your appetizer to come on. But by the time you leave the restaurant, you've probably eaten about a stick plus.
Speaker 1: Stick plus Yanni, in your restaurant days, did you see an obscene amount of butter used?
Speaker 6: I would not say obscene more than well, it's tough because now if you go to my house there we have butter reserves. We don't mess around. We go through easily a steak of butter a day at our house.
Speaker 4: Really, do you guys make it yourself?
Speaker 6: No, so I agree with him, But in my restaurant experience that was not the case.
Speaker 1: Who else has worked in a restaurant here, Corey? Did you for a bit did you see a lot of butter used there?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But nothing out of the ordinary.
Speaker 7: I use a lot at home as well, probably because of the restaurant influence, though it's right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, putting a pad of butter on a steak right off the grills, huh, pretty calm.
Speaker 1: Gotta question four the topic is gear. This next great question comes you with via Tom Christian. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. What pastel colored candy was originally made with machines that pressed gunpowder into pellets? The room is stumped. What pastel colored candy was originally made with machines that pressed gunpowder into pellets?
Speaker 5: Have a hard time thinking of what pastel looks like.
Speaker 4: A single color. It's like multi colored.
Speaker 6: It looks like.
Speaker 5: It's a tone.
Speaker 1: Oh, not going to give you any hints. You can take what the.
Speaker 6: I think we're looking for a clarification, because is pastel a single color? It's not.
Speaker 5: There are pastels, there's.
Speaker 1: It would be the equivalent Yanni. If I said, like this gothic colored candy or something.
Speaker 5: Like neon neon, there you go.
Speaker 1: In this case, they are pastel colored. Hmmm, here's the question again, What pastel colored candy was originally made with machines that pressed gunpowder into pellets?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: You now know it, Chili, Well, I know, I'm you know, I don't know the exact like given name. I know what it is, which is like common like there's a lot of them out there, but I don't know, like what the given name is?
Speaker 1: Yanni? Are you now changing your answer?
Speaker 6: Yes? My first answer was just kind of just what first came to mind. But now now I think I have a better ring.
Speaker 1: Randall, how's going for you over there?
Speaker 5: It's not going well, Spencer.
Speaker 1: Okay, may this may roon a perfect game, which I will feel bad about if it happens on a question that is on the very edge of the med Eater universe.
Speaker 5: The time anticipation of that happening.
Speaker 1: The topic is gear what pastel colored candy was originally made with machines that pressed gunpowder into pellets?
Speaker 6: Sam?
Speaker 1: Are you gonna come up with an answer? I feel like you also have a perfect game going.
Speaker 5: I missed the first question.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, take you back then pressures off.
Speaker 5: But I've got a couple ideas trying to think.
Speaker 1: I think we might be waiting on you. I got time to choose one. That's what that means. Randal, do you have an answer?
Speaker 7: Oh shit, No, I've got a better answer.
Speaker 5: Okay, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He has everybody ready, Phil, what have you gotten this one?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 9: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Hang, Okay, We're gonna give Sam a second, Hm, what pastel colored candy was originally made with machines that pressed gunpowder into pellets.
Speaker 9: I know, like three pastel colored candies that are pretty pop and I probably could have like, you know, okay, a pretty good shot there, but not not based on the history.
Speaker 1: Sam, or go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying pez, Chile saying mints, Randall saying pez, Cory saying nerds, Maddie saying smarties, Mackenzie saying nerds, Giannis saying good and plenty. We have a correct answer in the room. It's smarties or for our Canadian friends, rockets. After World War One, there was a surplus of gunpowder press machines, which the Smarties inventor repurposed for candy making as they learned the exact same process that created gunpowder pellets could be used to make sweets. Although today's machines don't resemble what they had in nineteen forty nine, the shape has stayed the same. Now in America they're called Smarties, but Smarties in Canada are different, so their version are called rockets.
Speaker 10: I was thinking, uh, stro altoids almost. I know they're not candy, and I know they're not really pasted out. There's just the cinnamon ones that are passed all. But I like where Mattie one was smarties like that little hard candy.
Speaker 1: Well you should It was a correct answer. Saw's answer.
Speaker 6: They knew.
Speaker 7: I appreciated how I was gonna go with candy hearts with, but then I couldn't envision, you know, gunpowder pellets having an inscription I love you, or whatever other friendly greetings they have.
Speaker 1: On question five, the topic is fishing. This is a visual question. If you want to see what the room is seeing, then head over to meet Theater's YouTube channel to watch this episode. Phil is showing the room a picture of a shark hunter played by Robert Shaw in Jaws. You need to tell me this character's name.
Speaker 5: I just watched this a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: You should be in the pole position to get this right, then, Sam Randall, it seems like you do have this correct.
Speaker 5: I feel pretty good.
Speaker 7: Farewell and ad to you fair Spanish ladies.
Speaker 5: Farewell, then a do to you ladies of space.
Speaker 9: Even doing the act.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Keep going, rand We're gonna need to kill some time.
Speaker 5: That's all I got.
Speaker 1: I think you can get Phil or run for his money in show tunes again, this is the shark hunter played by Robert Shaw in Jaws. You need to tell me this character's name, Cory. Are you going to get this one right? Oh? That's a hard no. Seems as though Randall may be the only one.
Speaker 8: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Maybe there's no certainty in this.
Speaker 1: Yanni, how many times do you think you've seen Jaws?
Speaker 6: Two or three?
Speaker 1: Not giving you any confidence though, and coming up with an answer. No, Randon, when's the last time you saw Jaws?
Speaker 5: Oh? I don't know. Spend some time.
Speaker 1: You just know this just because of your your trivia brain. You get this one right.
Speaker 7: I just had a name that came to mind immediately. There's no point in the movie where I can recall someone using this name in dialogue, but it just came to me. But I do sing the fair Spanish Ladies song quite often, serenad. No, No, it's just something I sing to myself.
Speaker 1: Serenade yourself. Is everybody who's going to come up with an answer have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying O'Malley Chili without an answer. Randall's saying Quint Cory saying Schmidt, Maddie's saying Bill, Mackenzie saying Ronnie, Jannis saying Captain Jim. The correct answer is Quint. I don't ce instead of T at the end certain.
Speaker 7: Cultures and certain cultures and bounced the CE with the T.
Speaker 5: You're so confident.
Speaker 1: It's believed that Quint was based on Captain a Hab from Moby Dick. Some of the similarities include that they're both obsessive captains with enemies that live in the sea, and they both die after getting pulled under water. Spielberg's original screenplay actually included Quint watching Moby Dick in a movie theater, but they couldn't use the scene because of copyright laws. Phil, would have you gotten that one?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 9: Yes? Yes, I would have?
Speaker 1: Okay, point there, yeah, yeah, with a T.
Speaker 5: I got the I got the hardest sound.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Phil has board update.
Speaker 7: Else, I'm humiliated.
Speaker 9: You are the closest in the room. So we've got Mackenzie zero points, Chile and Corey are tied up with one a piece, Joannis and Sam have two, Maddy has three, and in first place is Randall with four.
Speaker 1: Nice should have been five, Matt, Randall, you should have three. I think though you didn't get Smarties and you didn't get Quint.
Speaker 9: Oh, yeah, so I didn't should have been I didn't look at his whiteboard when you were going down the room and I heard Quint and then I gave him a point and I did not take it away. I will do that right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, what Phil? How many points does Randall have?
Speaker 9: Randall now has three and tied for first with Maddy.
Speaker 6: Anybody's Game, Anybody's.
Speaker 5: Game Stomach.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is conservation. East Blank, Ohio is where the infamous train derailment happened on February third. This is a fill in the blank. The town is not called East Blank here. It is again, East Blank, Ohio is where the infamous train derailment happened on February third, twenty twenty three. Corey is the only confident player in the room. Corey, you have this one right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Watched the news.
Speaker 6: Is this a cooking question?
Speaker 1: This is conservation? Do you not recall this happening an actual city?
Speaker 6: Though I think I was lying hunting.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's an actual You were lying hunting on February third, So you missed the coverage of this enormous event.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's like something funky.
Speaker 1: East Funky, Ohio is where the.
Speaker 4: I have an idea of what it is in my head, but I feel like I'm gonna get made fun of if it's wrong.
Speaker 1: February twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: I don't like the guests that's coming to mind.
Speaker 4: That's where I'm but I just it's like it's so random that I feel like it has to be right.
Speaker 1: I was worried this question would be too easy and we'd have a one hundred percenter. Corey may be the only one though.
Speaker 6: We're failing against the old Jelsea right.
Speaker 1: She may take a victory on this one.
Speaker 4: Will she ever come in into an actual episode?
Speaker 1: She has hosted an episode that we did with the spouses of Meat Eater. I think it would be unfair for her to play. She has too much access to my brain where these questions come from. Not that she would win very often, but she would certainly have an advantage.
Speaker 4: But conservation always went that's right.
Speaker 1: East Blank, Ohio is where the infamous train derailment happened on February third, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 10: Oh I just went with a It came down to a few towns in Ohio that I know, and I picked one of them.
Speaker 5: We've been to Ohio.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready Big Bock countrym.
Speaker 6: That'ser you ever hundred big Bucks in Ohio?
Speaker 1: Not in Ohio. Kentucky and Illinois would be the closest that I have come to Ohio. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying Peoria, Chili saying Cincinnati, Randall saying Palestine, Corey saying Palestine, Maddie saying Dayton, Mackenzie saying Palestine, Jannis saying Salem. The correct answer is Palestine. The room did pretty well, despite them not thinking they would. The fifty one car derailment was considered one of the worst train accidents in modern history. The train was carrying hundreds of thousands of gallons of hazardous chemicals, some of which were set on fire in a controlled burn. It's estimated the cleanup will cost about four hundred million dollars, although that number is still growing. As of June, there have been twenty million gallons of liquid wastewater removed from East Allance, Palestine.
Speaker 10: How about the one that fell into the all Stone.
Speaker 1: I think they had no that was leaking out of out of the.
Speaker 5: Bridge collapsed before the morn.
Speaker 1: Maybe river look very disgusting. Question seven, the topic is cooking. This brand has the best selling Mason Jar at Walmart, Target and Amazon. This brand has the best selling Mason Jar at Walmart, Target and Amazon. Pretty confident, room, it's chili.
Speaker 5: It's a stretch chili. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Just give up in my efforts.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This brand has the best selling Mason Jar at Walmart, Target and ammon on Randall. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: Remember I'm just going with the first word that came to mind.
Speaker 1: Okay, Maddie, do you have this one right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you seem confident.
Speaker 6: I've got two answers written down.
Speaker 7: Okay, you you know two Mason Brian Jars.
Speaker 5: I did Mason Jar brands.
Speaker 4: Really do you do a lot of canning?
Speaker 6: I want to say a lot. But that's what we use for our drinking vessels. Oh really for a long long time.
Speaker 1: Okay, But you have have cups now or not?
Speaker 6: No, we go, we'll buy a set and within months they're all broken and then we're like, I'm back to the Mason Jars.
Speaker 5: What are you doing when you're breaking all of these.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask, is it just like classic dropping on the ground or what's going on you just see?
Speaker 6: No, they're just like little tinks and dates here and there. Don't loading the dishwashing how often? Most often it happens.
Speaker 1: You get mad watching the nuggets and you hurl on across the most common way.
Speaker 6: No, that's the thing I like to buy, like a nice low ball glass, you know, be able to serve my guests a nice drink. And then sure enough there's only three out of four left within weeks.
Speaker 1: Again, this is question seven. Phil, good on you. Going back to the Jaws question. I meant to send you a picture. I never did. Phil is so professional and so prepared that he had one ready for us anyway.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I tried to find them where he looks kind of regal standing.
Speaker 1: There is everybody ready for the brand of the best selling Mason Jobs.
Speaker 6: Come on, Chili, just write a word.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know, I don't know any brands.
Speaker 1: Uh, go ahead and reveal your answers. Sorry, Chili, Sam says ball, Chili says jelly, Randall says ball, Corey says Smuckers. Andy says country Kitchen. Mackenzie saying ball, Jannis saying ball. The correct answer is ball. Yanni would have been the other brand. Ker Is that where you're thinking of? The Mason jar was invented by John Landis Mason in eighteen fifty eight at the age of twenty six years old. Ball Corporation licensed his design and started making their own home canning jars in eighteen eighty four, along with salt and refrigerators. The Mason jar is considered one of the greatest achievements in food preservation in human history. Question eight. The topic is wildlife. This next great question comes to is via justin lplay. If you have a question you think it's right for media to trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. This animal was declared the official National mammal of the United States in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Mammal.
Speaker 1: This animal was declared the official National mammal of the United States in twenty six Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: Randall?
Speaker 5: You're gonna bust out in the song again about it? I think so. I don't have confident. I don't have a good song for it, though.
Speaker 6: Mammal.
Speaker 1: In twenty sixteen, this animal was declared the official national mammal of the United States in twenty sixteen Stumber.
Speaker 5: Who came up what was this guy's name?
Speaker 1: Just in the play the topic is wildlife and this is question eight. We will get a scoreboard update from phill the engineer after this again looking for the official national mammal.
Speaker 7: I'm just still shocked that Mason Jars are named after the inventor. I always assumed that there was some sort of utilitarian share prior life, before they became.
Speaker 1: I fight a guess. I would have guessed, like, oh, something to do with the Mason Dixon line. Maybe this guy was associated, or maybe they used to be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Randall may be the only one.
Speaker 5: It's like Count Drogan, right, That's still that still sticks with me.
Speaker 1: Does anybody besides Randall feel confident about their answer answer?
Speaker 4: I didn't know we had national mammals.
Speaker 1: Since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 5: We have only recently.
Speaker 1: Mr Yanni, I think we may be waiting on you.
Speaker 6: Oh you're waiting on you. What do you think. I'm gonna show you these two am my clothes.
Speaker 1: Not going to give you any hints. Let me see what you got.
Speaker 6: What do you think? All right? Girl that was ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam, Sam, Hello, Chile without an answer. Randall's saying bison, Cory's saying frizzly bear, Maddy's saying black bear, Mackenzie saying bison. Jannis saying dog. The correct answer is bison. An answer, You folks got a right, Chili said. Randall would not let him not reveal his board.
Speaker 5: Buffalo is in correct.
Speaker 6: Buffalo.
Speaker 1: We will give you buffalo, Amarican buffalo. That that counts.
Speaker 5: That's how Steve likes to call it.
Speaker 1: The American bison joined the bald eagle as an official United States symbol when the National Bison Legacy Act was signed in twenty sixteen. The cause was championed by the Wildlife Conservation Society, who said these species perfectly represents American history, American culture, and American conservation.
Speaker 4: I was looking at that guy right over there have Oh yeah that one too.
Speaker 6: Bison can actually give you a lot of.
Speaker 1: Randall. Do you remember when that happened or how did you know that bison was the right answer.
Speaker 7: I remember that happening, and I also just knew it.
Speaker 6: Bill.
Speaker 1: We have two questions. Give us a leaderboard update.
Speaker 9: I'm about to break a bunch of hearts. Chili, Cory, Maddie, Mackenzie, and Giannis I've all been eliminated. But we've got Sam with four points and Randall in first place with a tight six. He's got two points on Sam. I was trying to tight scratch that.
Speaker 1: Hot six to get these last too wrong? And who's in second place?
Speaker 5: Sam?
Speaker 1: To get these last too right to go to a tiebreaker? Question nine, the topic is fishing. What frequently mimicked may fly goes by the acronym p m D?
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 1: What frequently mimic may fly goes by the acronym m D?
Speaker 6: Lose some respect?
Speaker 1: It's what confident room? You need to tell me what a pm D is. Maddie and Chili do not look so confident. Mckenzi. Did you get this one right? Yes, Yanni, you got this one right.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna tell you all about my favorite o P M D imitation.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know some memories, some memories from like last year or what I used to guide.
Speaker 6: And we used to fish a pretty heavy PMD hatch like mid to late summer, and uh yeah, if you had the right fly stellar.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready for the folks who are going to come up with an answer.
Speaker 4: I learned last night that the shortest mayfly life like cycle is five minutes. I knew they were like a day usually, but the shortest one's five minutes.
Speaker 5: Which one was that? McKenzie?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know, okay, but I learned. Yeah, that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying pale morning done, Chili without an answer, Randall saying pale morning done, Corey saying pale morning done, Maddie saying white fly, McKenzie's saying pale morning done, Jannis saying pale morning done. They got it. The correct answer is pale morning done. For trout and trout anglers, this is considered one of the most important bugs in North America. The pale Morning done is almost unmatched when it comes to sheer numbers, wide distribution, and hatch duration. Pmds are known for being some of the first hatches that appear after runoff in late spring and earth at least summer. Take it away, Yannie, what do you got for us guests?
Speaker 6: For all the fly anglers hair, no sparkle doun the Patriot, the Matriot. Yeah, it's like got kind of an orange reddish body and just a little bit of a like a shiny clear midsection tied like a wolf.
Speaker 5: M hm.
Speaker 10: So it's done killer. It's an adult pattern, not like a rusty spinner. For instance, when.
Speaker 1: Did the PMD hatch happen in Montana? Was it like right now?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: As is even thrown a PMD?
Speaker 6: It depends on what river you're on down here? It's right now?
Speaker 1: Question ten? Randall has it wrapped up. He has seven points, which is too big of a lead for him to be caught. Finish the game anyway. The topic is public lands. This last great question comes with his via Justin Patterson. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. New River Gorge came this landlocked state's first national park in twenty twenty. New River Gorge became this landlocked state first national park in twenty twenty. Randall, do you have this one?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Why do you know this one? You just remember?
Speaker 5: I know where New River Gorge is? Okayen bungee jumping that helps base jumping.
Speaker 1: Have you bungee jumped there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, did you base?
Speaker 7: I've rafted the New River. It's it's one of the oldest rivers in the world.
Speaker 1: I'll keep going.
Speaker 5: It used to be the Tees River TEA. I don't know if that's the pronunciation.
Speaker 1: Confidently handing out hints to the room. But that's fine.
Speaker 6: Won the game. Keep going g E A Y S H.
Speaker 7: And I can't describe its course because I think that would be giving away too much.
Speaker 5: Okay, really interesting river.
Speaker 1: New River Gorge became this landlocked States first National park in twenty twenty. Is anybody else going to get this right? I have a solid guess.
Speaker 4: I have like a one fifty educated guess.
Speaker 6: It's boring to remember that.
Speaker 9: Randall was also very positive about quints, so we'll see he did.
Speaker 1: He didn't throw out out there. To be fair, he said, there's nothing assured in this game. He said, maybe I.
Speaker 9: Haven't listen, You've already won. I'm just trying to take you down just.
Speaker 5: A little bit. I mean, this is the guy.
Speaker 7: I will be laying in bed tonight thinking about how stupid I sound.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then say and then.
Speaker 1: That's when you catch.
Speaker 5: From Tight six.
Speaker 7: But yeah, when this is released, I'll go on YouTube and I'll look at the comments and I'll just wait for somebody to say, what an idiot?
Speaker 5: What an idiot?
Speaker 7: And I know it's coming, and I'll look for it, and then I'll just feel that wave of humiliation and embarrassment wash over me once again.
Speaker 5: This is just this is how my mind works, this is how I live.
Speaker 1: And that's why you're I love how you thought.
Speaker 5: This are already cave of misery?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Corey? Second?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: I like how you two are twinning.
Speaker 5: We called each other.
Speaker 1: You went three in a row there. Actually, I don't even.
Speaker 6: Randall Sandwich.
Speaker 7: I don't know every You might have just stolen the six just became the Randall Corey, Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Sam saying Illinois, Chile saying North Carolina not landlocked, Randall's saying West Virginia, Corey idiot saying Missouri saying Missouri, Mackenzie saying Kansas. Jannie is saying in West Virginia. The correct answer is West Virginia. Jannis and Randall got it right. The New River Gorge was established by Jimmy Carter as a National River in nineteen seventy eight and redesignated by Donald Trump as a National Park in twenty twenty. The park is fifty three miles long and follows the New River Gorge through southern West Virginia. The area is known for some of the best whitewater rafting and rock climbing in the East. Randall wins with a sexy eight points. Well done, Randall, I'm actually glad that you did quint instead of Quint, because then I would have felt devastated that you got the smarties question wrong and it would have cost you a perfect game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 7: Sometimes it is nice to fall two rungs short of the objective, Randall.
Speaker 1: As the winner, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater goes. What's it going to be?
Speaker 7: I'd like this donation to go to the organization Keep It Public, which does the number of hands on conservation projects around the country. And just this past weekend they were on the CMR here in Montana pulling fence with Mr.
Speaker 5: The Charles M.
Speaker 7: Russell National Wildlife Refuge, and they've been doing fence pulls there for the past seven years and I was unable to participate this year, so you just did by giving in lieu of my sweat equity.
Speaker 5: I will send some cold hard cash their way.
Speaker 1: Well done, Randall. That is a new organization I believe for this show we have not given to them before. Keep it public. Five hundred dollars coming their way from Randall and Meat Eater. Join us next time for more Meat Eater trivia only game show where conservation always wins.