Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 4: In the a Every week, The Fifth Hour with Ben Malor and Danny g Radio back in the Audio Dojo, and we thank you for hanging out.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you heard the Friday podcast.
Speaker 3: Danny a rare and appropriate listener hanging out with us on the Fifth Hour. But I thought it was appropriate because many people have been emailing me Danny about the Mallard meet and greet, which is coming up in a couple of week weeks from today, actually two weeks from today. I can't believe it's gonna be that quick will be in Minnesota, and so I want to let everyone know because people are like flying in. And so I thought Regina, she's been putting all this together, so I thought it would.
Speaker 1: Be perfect to have her on.
Speaker 3: And some surprising things as well in there that I did not know about that Regina revealed so all that on the Friday podcast.
Speaker 1: But we are on Upwarded now.
Speaker 5: About the drugs that she brought to the last one.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about, Danny Jena podcast. I didn't mention though on that podcast. I did mention that there are wild after parties that are that that take place at the mal or meet and greet. Now I am not part of the meet and greet parties. I'm part of the main event, but I'm not part of the postgame show. So and I'm also not responsible anything that these knuckles do.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: R Kelly famously said after the party, there's the after party. After the after party, there's the hotel lobby. You're not a part of any of that, right, No.
Speaker 3: No, I make my appearance, I shake hands, kiss babies, take a few photos, and then.
Speaker 1: I am out.
Speaker 3: I am gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, gone, see you later, and that that is all.
Speaker 6: But I am.
Speaker 3: I'm tremendously excited, So I'm looking forward to It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: And there have been.
Speaker 3: People that have rsvped from near and far, and it's great. We don't get to do these very often, and for a couple of years during COVID couldn't do any of these things. So it's always nice. And people have been asking about other Malord meet and greets. There is nothing scheduled at this point. We've talked about doing a few things in different locations, but nothing is on the calendar at this point. But on this podcast, there is stuff on the agenda, if you will. We've got the Tree Hugger, Playtime, Tough Breaks, pop Owes, the Culture Backscratcher, and whatever else pops up on the agenda.
Speaker 1: But we'll start with this. So my birthday was last.
Speaker 3: Weekend and we had the podcast per normal. If you follow me on Instagram or on Facebook, you saw a video, you saw some photographs.
Speaker 1: So I made.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a day trip slash kind of like weekend getaway. One night, two days, mostly one day, and I spent my birthday one of my favorite places to hang out. I became Benny the tree Hugger at Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon, which people not as famous Kings Canyon, but it's I don't know why they did that.
Speaker 1: It's connected.
Speaker 3: Sequoia is on one side and King's Canyon is on.
Speaker 1: The other side.
Speaker 3: But it's America's second oldest national park. Spent a night in beautiful Visalia. Yeah, I spent a night in Visalia and my wife booked a room there at a hotel which is looks really old but it's actually new called the Darling. It's this old building in Vicealia.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. It might have been a bank.
Speaker 3: Or something like that, but they turned it into a hotel. It's really good. It's actually an if you end up visiting Sequoia National Park, I do recommend it because they have high ceilings, pretty.
Speaker 1: Good shower, good shower pressure. You get a hotel.
Speaker 3: Usually the hotels like yeah, it's like it's spitting at you and when you're in the shower it's a terrible.
Speaker 5: That high water pressure is one of the perks of staying at a hotel, right, you take an extra long shower because it's their water bill, and that pressure is always better than it is at home.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm saying some of the hotels I stayed at that has not been the.
Speaker 6: Case, like you stay at cheap hotels.
Speaker 3: Well, No, that's what I said, because I want with the wife booked it, so it's like an extra hotel and all that stuff. But so I was getting some email from people that I posted a bunch of photos and people were.
Speaker 7: Like, oh, you know that's where you went on your birthday. You could have gone anywhere you went. I was like, no, that's where I want to go. I like, that's my my jam and I don't go there, like I said, very often. But being around the two thousand year old giant Sequoia.
Speaker 3: Trees is just it's awesome. I mean, I was reading some stuff about these trees. They said these trees can live up to like over three thousand years and it's one of the ten oldest species on the entire planet.
Speaker 1: And it's just wild.
Speaker 3: Standing and I feel it's just so small standing around these giant redwoods in the middle.
Speaker 1: Of the forest.
Speaker 3: And as an added bonus, and I did not anticipate this. In California in late April, playing in the snow, we had a snowball fight, me and the wife at Sequoia National Forest. And the crazy thing about this, Danny is that it's snow everywhere all over the forest because it's in high altitudes.
Speaker 1: But the temperature when we entered.
Speaker 3: Sequoia National Park was like seventy degrees, so there's snow everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's seventy degrees.
Speaker 3: And then as we were going up elevation and going up and down the roads in Sequoia and Kings Canyon, it got all the way down to forty five degrees. So it went from seventy to forty five. Now in Visalia, which is down the mountain from the National Park, it was ninety degrees in Vicelia, so we had the full range of temperatures and it's you know, it was a fun time. We spent a good amount of time out in the forest, driving around. We had a little lunch, picked up some sandwiches and sat out by Hume Lake, which I'm sure you've been at and been in that area, and also this beautiful lake in Sequoia, and it was cool.
Speaker 1: It was a good time. We had fun.
Speaker 3: I loved some of the science. They had one sign it said, like in the eighteen hundreds when people first kind of discovered modern Americans discovered the park, the trees and all that stuff. So they what they did is they cut a couple of Sequoias down because they wanted to show people on the East coast. There was no internet. Obviously, there was no way to show them, no television. So they cut some of these sequoia trees down, and they had to cut them into pieces and put them on trains and take them across. I think there was some fair I read in Philadelphia in the eighteen hundreds. So they took these giant sequoia tries. They had to then reassemble them in Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: I believe it was.
Speaker 3: So then, what do you think the reaction was of the hardy East Coasters? What do you think the reaction was of the people in Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: Probably what you would expect from Philly folks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the people in Philly said, this is bullshit. Your people in California are a con artist. You're making this up. These are not real. You're losers, And that was the attitude.
Speaker 1: They didn't think they were legit.
Speaker 3: They didn't think a tree could grow that big, and so their immediate reaction was, fuck you, you don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Do I have to apologize?
Speaker 3: By the way, anytime I curse, I might have to apologize to our friend in Arkansas gets all upset. But anyway, that was the general reaction. I didn't see any deer this time. Usually I see a lot of deer. I didn't see any bears, a bunch of weird birds. There's all kinds of different species in Sequoia National Park, including some that will kill you, like the aforementioned bear and mountain lions and whatnot. But I had a fine, fine time, and there was tons of snow, and as of a couple of days ago, there was still a chance of some more snow. So here we are into May today, May six today, so we're gonna get more snow. I mean the snowill still be up there into mid May. That's wild.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: May sixth today, and it rained just two days ago in southern California.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's up with that? I thought we were done with the rain.
Speaker 3: I thought we'd moved on now from El Nino El Nio, But no, apparently not. Apparently we still have that. So thanks to everyone sent the birthday messages and all that. I appreciate it. And so I've checked the Sequoia National Park box off for another year, and just a wonderful, wonderful place, highly recommended if you've never been to the Giant forest. We actually didn't even get to the Giant Forest because the road had been knocked out, so we had to go through the King's Canyon entrance and there are a bunch of giants equoitris. But the act there's actually a forest which is called the Giant Forest. We didn't get to that this time because it was inaccessible to human beings in cars, and so we went to some of the other giant giant trees around there.
Speaker 1: So that was our fun.
Speaker 3: That was my playtime, but it was not everyone's playtime, Danny g It was not everyone's playtime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Ben, this will be quick, but it's interactive, so it should be fun to see what you think. And the fifth hour podcast listeners recommend because it is the last three weeks of school for the school district that I help out in the morning time. All right, now, this is the time of the year obviously, where the teachers give their last exams, their last bit of homework. The kids are starting to run wild, few of them in my classroom in the morning do that every day.
Speaker 6: But as a whole, the kids are excited for pizza parties.
Speaker 5: And you remember that, Ben, that was one of the best times of the school year obviously, because.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my favorite memories of elementary school because I was the fat kid that got picked up.
Speaker 1: But what I loved was the end of the year.
Speaker 3: The pizza thing. The movies in pizza has loved the teachers. Student Like, we played kickball when I was.
Speaker 1: In elementary school. I loved, Oh that was so much fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, students versus the teacher.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you hit the nail on the head right there when you said pizza and movies. I get to make an executive decision right now on what movies to play for the kids the final week of the school year. So I have two weeks right now to turn in my movie choices because it is twenty twenty three. So the program in the morning from the school district has to get the parents' approval on these PG rated movies.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's only PG.
Speaker 6: Only PG, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is where I get to like share some of the best movies ever made with these little monsters that might not ever get to experience, you know, back to the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I assume I think most kids have seen Ghostbusters.
Speaker 1: I think that was a PG movie, right, that's a classic.
Speaker 6: But which Ghostbusters did they see? Though? I can't play the original? Why not?
Speaker 1: That's the that's a PG. I think that's a PG movie.
Speaker 6: You know what it might have been.
Speaker 5: But I remember my mom and aunt being really embarrassed during certain parts of that movie.
Speaker 1: What what what were they doing?
Speaker 6: It was like the sex scenes with It's a Gourney Weaver.
Speaker 3: Remember, Yeah, she had like an orgasm type of thing like that.
Speaker 5: But when she got taken over by the spirits?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about et?
Speaker 6: Is that et? It might be a good one. That might be a good one.
Speaker 5: And you got to remember the difference between us and kids nowadays.
Speaker 1: They'd be like stupid, who cares?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they have zero patients and so the movie really has to deliver.
Speaker 1: It seems like a lot of stuff was PG. And didn't they make the PG.
Speaker 3: They were kind of loose with the rating on that because they wanted kids to like, they wanted kids to be able to see the movies, right, So there was it was Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Was thinking, I was thinking Goonies might be a good one to play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be a solid one.
Speaker 6: But there's a.
Speaker 5: Long list obviously of classic eighties nineties movies.
Speaker 6: You could the original Teen Wolf might be kind of funny.
Speaker 1: I guarantee you.
Speaker 3: Here's one that will not get past the censors in this new delicate time we live in.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the Three Amigos you know? Oh, yeah, that was that was a good movie.
Speaker 6: That was a funny, bad movie. Yeah, I don't think that would fly nowadays.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Steve, Martin Chevy Chase and Martin Short right, And.
Speaker 6: I remember then they hip thrust. The kid Sam would love that.
Speaker 5: He'd be cracking up the entire movie, copying everything on the screen.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't know the one?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think this is a PG movie. And it was a spoof of Star Wars. Remember Spaceballs?
Speaker 6: Oh Spaceballs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Spaceballs? Was that was good? I don't know, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: There's probably some stuff in there.
Speaker 3: That that you can't get have, Like, there's like so many options here, Like.
Speaker 6: I know there's some good choices.
Speaker 5: So go ahead and email Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com if you have some movie suggestions, what movies that we appreciate that I should force upon these students.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other you bring up a fair point because you've got a lot of bureaucracy, because you've got the parents, which is one layer, and I most parents won't care. But there's always that one group of parents that is hyper, like they think they're over protected with their kid.
Speaker 1: They don't let their kid live. That's a problem.
Speaker 3: But then the other thing is like a lot of these movies are so dated without the technology that we have today, Like the kid's gonna be watching like, oh, I.
Speaker 5: Don't understand, like the yeah, money, yeah, the money, yeah, yeah exactly. Think of it like this, if you were a kid nowadays with zero attention span and what you're used to seeing at the theater and how good affects and everything is now in video games and all that, would you look at it and be like this is stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I thought the movie The Money Pit, which is an eighties movie with Tom Hanks, one of his early movies in Shelly.
Speaker 1: Long, I thought it was a great movie.
Speaker 3: But if you watched it through the eyes of a child, like you said, why the fuck don't they just go on YouTube and it's a deal, you know yourself project here and they can fix it. What I don't understand. It makes no sense. Why are they wasting all their money? It's go on YouTube and d yi boom you done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some movies don't translate to the kids nowadays.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so on the sheet, I just gotta write the movie's name down the rating of the film, and then it'll get approved. So I feel like as long as I write PG next to it, most parents will just glance at the sheet and sign it and say it's okay.
Speaker 3: Another Tom Hanks movie that kids will look at and say, I don't care.
Speaker 1: What's the big deal about that?
Speaker 6: In the movie?
Speaker 1: Big? Right?
Speaker 3: And that was a cool story, right, because you wake up and you're you know, you won't you.
Speaker 1: Have a wish?
Speaker 6: Remember?
Speaker 3: And he yeah, and he became an adult. But the technology thing, man.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, I don't know, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Know about that anyway.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, yeah, email and we'll read a bunch of them next week, how about that, And then we'll help you decide if you have any movies you want to reckon and that would be outstanding. We have Backscratcher is next on the agenda. We'll get the pop culture. But I wanted to get a backscratcher. And this is where people post things on the Apple podcast page about the fifth hour, little reviews and whatnot, and then we thank you you scratch our back, we scratch your back metaphorically. Of course, we're not actually going to scratch your back this week, Danny on the Apple podcast page, did we get one review, two reviews, or no reviews?
Speaker 6: I am going to say one.
Speaker 1: Who know, well, you are incorrect, Danny, You're incorrect.
Speaker 3: It turns out we actually got two two reviews this week.
Speaker 6: How about that? Happy to be wrong?
Speaker 3: This week in baseball, first one comes from Tights for twenty, Titans for twenty, he writes in five stars, really really decent show. Yes, he says, this show is very decent. So congratulations, Danny, You're part of a decent show, he said, one of the most decent shows of all time.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 3: I listen all the time unless I'm doing something else. I started listening in jail. How about that, Danny in jail? I could not have asked for a better show to help pass the time.
Speaker 1: Just needs more UFC news.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, I heard at the Subway restaurant the show was going to get nominated for an award, And I gotta say I like the underdog story.
Speaker 5: Wow, I bet you a whole bunch of indecent things happened there in prison.
Speaker 3: You think you think that that took place. You think, well, maybe he was at a low security prison, because if you're at a low security prison, that you can have access to radio, and you can have different electrical equipment and things like that.
Speaker 6: Very true. Maybe he just evaded taxes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's the white collar criminal and the blue collar criminal. Much different treatment, much different in the legal penal system of America. So next up on the Ray from the Bay, Right Sin, Ray from the Bay. He said, there's Big Ben, Danny g and everyone else. You and Danny G are so chill. I like this podcast because you just get a good old conversation going. I want to call the show, but we'll follow up on that eventually. That's Ray from the Bay. Five stars. Thank you Ray from the Bay. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't I like that rhymes.
Speaker 5: Like thank you Ray, and I hope you're boy Pool keep chucking up blong three pointers.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, am I am with my friends in the Bay Area.
Speaker 6: I am you are you Laker hater?
Speaker 3: I am a fan of the Clippers and whoever plays the Lakers, that is who I like. And I am a Golden State Warrior fan. Go Splash Brothers splitsh splash, Yes, and you, Danny, I think you should continue to send those checks to the NBA officials And yeah, yeah, okay, the sixth.
Speaker 5: Week you get a pool where they they were they were paid off there. Then when they gave them that phantom four point play.
Speaker 3: Sixth, seventh and eighth man for the Lakers, it's eight on five when you play the Lakers.
Speaker 1: But that's a different conversation.
Speaker 5: That's what happens when you guess wrong about the Lakers going into the playoffs.
Speaker 1: About I guess work. John moranc got hurt in round one.
Speaker 3: The officials helped you out early in the series against Golden State, so things are certainly breaking your way. I wouldn't brag about that, though, but we do it a little.
Speaker 5: Tiny Clippers violin for you.
Speaker 3: No, it's not about the Clippers. It's not about the Clippy.
Speaker 5: You said the Clippers, and whoever is playing against Fakers.
Speaker 3: Clippers aren't playing, So this is about this is about the gold my Golden State Wars. I'm a Warriors fan. Wrong, I go back to the Chris Mullen, uh, Tim Hardaway run TMC.
Speaker 1: I go back to that Joe Berry Carroll even before that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm I'm a I'm a freaking Golden State Warrior historian. Is what I am.
Speaker 6: Explains why you shoot your free throws underhand?
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, I actually shot a set shot because of Purver Short, former Golden State Warrior. And I had a baseline jumper because of Terry Tiegle and and uh oh.
Speaker 6: And he choked out a coach because of Latrelle's freewill.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I wasn't a Warriors fan by that, but I was, like, uh, I was a big fan of Sleeping so Sleepy Floyd was a big part of my my life when I was younger. And so yeah, I go way back. Rod Higgins remember Rod Higgins for the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 6: Sure, yea off players names, Now, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not these are people.
Speaker 3: I'm not, no Google, I know my Golden State Wars.
Speaker 1: And the first NBA game.
Speaker 3: Fun fact, first NBA game I ever attended ever, Aton was at the Unfortunately it was at the Great Western Form then just called the Form. I was with my youth basketball team. We got to play on the court after the game. But the Lakers were playing This is like the Showtime Lakers. They were playing the Golden State Warriors, and George Carl was coaching the Golden State Warriors, and Joe Barry Carroll was playing for the Golden State Warriors in that particular game. That's a fun fact.
Speaker 6: Did George Carl have a full head of hair?
Speaker 3: No, he did look disheveled. He was young at the time. I thought he was old, but he was disheveled and he had.
Speaker 5: Right, he's one of those guys where he's look old our entire life.
Speaker 1: That's a good thing, that's a wonderful thing.
Speaker 3: Like we told the story before on the podcast about Sparky Anderson who was this for the Tigers. But Sparky looked like he was about seventy when he was forty, right, he just looked old.
Speaker 1: He looked old, old, old, old old man.
Speaker 5: John John.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to pop goes to the culture.
Speaker 3: So these are some random pop culture stories that caught my attention this week. Nicholas Cage making headlines. I don't know if you guys talked about this on Cavino and Rich Danny, but Nicholas Cage said that he has memories of life from before being born.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it sounds about right.
Speaker 3: Come on, I mean, I'm not I like Nicholas cage I saw the thing. Somebody sent me a link. He was on sixty Minutes, which I used to watch. My mom and dad used to watch that every week when I was a kid. I really haven't watched it much recently, but on YouTube they have a channel and they put this thing up. And Nicholas Cage like moved to Vegas to save money on taxes, which I respect, and you know, he lost a lot of money and investments and stuff. But he's an interesting cat. But do I think he actually has memories of life from before being born?
Speaker 1: No, of course, bullshit. It's absolute bullshit, is what it is. The fact that anyone would report that it's ridiculous. Anyway, what else did I say?
Speaker 3: Glowing UFOs spotted over Los Vegas recently and the military and the airport McCarran Airport denying any knowledge of these unidentified flying objects glowing UFOs. It's caught on of course Camera eight News Las Vegas. Channel eight in Vegas investigated and the station reached out to the air Force base Nellis Air Force Base, and there's Harry Reid International Airport.
Speaker 1: I guess I used to be called McCarron. I guess it's called Harry Reid.
Speaker 3: Who knew.
Speaker 1: I don't fly to Vegas.
Speaker 3: I drive, so I don't know. Anyway, they said all they were unaware of any activity. Witnesses shot the video glowing. UFO's the guys in his backyard. The lights were located over the Strip and the old downtown area, and so they're trying to figure out.
Speaker 6: What they wanted to go to your jam. Fremont Street that's where I hat man.
Speaker 3: That's the Mallard part of Vegas. The Strip is for the amateurs. The professionals go down to the Fremont Street.
Speaker 1: A bunch of hookers and cocaine, the Fremont Street experience. That's where the real freaks in Vegas are. Yeah, I'm looking at the video here.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, you know, it looks it's a series of lights. It could be drones. It looks like it's big enough to be a plane or a blimp or something like that.
Speaker 1: On this.
Speaker 3: And hopefully if I click the right button, you'll be able to click on it and you'll.
Speaker 1: See the lights over Vegas. Check all that all that out.
Speaker 3: It's like a twenty six second clip it's not that it's not that long, but you can see. It reminds me a little bit of what they had in Arizona when they remember that the spacecraft like flew over Phoenix.
Speaker 6: That's right, remember that years ago.
Speaker 1: I mean I was in the nineties.
Speaker 3: All right, So did you see have you seen the video, Danny? Have you checked out the video here? Have you seen this video?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's not as freaky as it used to be to see things like this because the government just admitted during COVID that there are UFOs. None of this surprises us now, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, do the UFOs practice social distancing? I think they do, because they're not like meeting with us. Do they wear masks? Do they have masks on?
Speaker 1: Do we do?
Speaker 6: We know? No, we don't.
Speaker 3: We don't know if they're wearing masks or anything like that. I I don't know.
Speaker 5: That was the funniest thing that came out of the whole COVID situation. Though everybody were so caught up in hoarding toilet paper and robbing stores of you know what, what?
Speaker 6: What was the other thing that was in high demand?
Speaker 3: Bottled water and toilet paper were like the big thing, and hand sanitizer masks ward.
Speaker 5: There was a limit on how many sanitizers you could buy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you can buy as many as you want. They will give you extra hand sanitizer right now.
Speaker 5: But they announced that they had real video of real UFOs and that aliens existed, and everybody was so busy with all the COVID nonsense that it just kind of got pushed off to the side.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of space, space tourism is going to be a thing. We've talked about this in the past, but there's now a price point space tourism form a firm rather has been formed.
Speaker 1: They reveal their plans for zero gravity later this year. You will be able to travel to zero gravity this year.
Speaker 3: How much is it going to cost in you know, it's not two outrageous, but it's outrageous for the commoners. So you want to take a ris they say, they, you know, the space tourism. The plan is for zero gravity music concerts starting later this year, and they're gonna have a DJ pop performances wrap the whole thing.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna say one hundreds.
Speaker 3: No. Well, but compared to that, this is great that the companies in Florida, it's zero g they are offering micro gravity flights aboard a Boeing seven to twenty seven, especially my and they price point is nine thousand dollars. You don't You would not trust a nine thousand trip to zero gravity, you know, but because in.
Speaker 6: My mind it was kind of for the one percenters. Yeah, well, or at.
Speaker 5: Least people who are wealthy, and so you'd have to take a big chunk of change out to do something like that. Nine thousand dollars. That sounds like some carnies put this together.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm looking at the brochure thing here and it looks like what this is is the vomit comment, which I often I give an homage when somebody has a really bad game, I'll point out that they were they were riding the vomit comment on the show. And that is my tribute to the zero gravity plane, which is what they train astronauts in.
Speaker 1: They take you up. So I think that's what this is.
Speaker 3: Like, it's it's you're not really going to see you're not really space traveling. Then oh, you're just going zero gravity. So that's that's the vomited coming. So this is false advertising, it really is.
Speaker 1: I don't like that. I do not like that you know this story.
Speaker 3: I did want to mention you know, I'm not a music guy, but I was following that Ed Sheeran lawsuit, and he brought up a great point, a great point.
Speaker 1: He's being sued for copyright infringement.
Speaker 3: It was in a Marvin Gaye song that they claim he ripped off or something like that. I read the story briefly, but I'm like, I'm not a big music I like music, but I'm not inside the music world. But he brought up a great point. So he's been sued a couple times. He said that there are only so many notes. There are twelve notes that are available in music, he said. There are twenty two million songs that come out a year, he said, and so it is inevitable that things are going to sound similar now, being that I am not big on the music, Gene Dan, let me ask you the question here. Do you think Ed Sheeron is a sympathetic figure or do you think he's full of shit and that he ripped off another song? What is the more likely scenario?
Speaker 5: I guess I would have to hear the two pieces of audio side by side. His hit song was called Thinking Out loud, and he's being accused of plagiarizing. Let's get it on the classic from Marvin Gay as you mentioned, so I would need to hear the two side by side, but I understand what he's trying to get at. But then there's just some times where the artists or whoever the writers were or producers simply riped somebody else off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they think that they're so powerful that they can win any lawsuit. But in many ways, I'm Here's how I relate to Ed Sheeron because doing sports radio, Danny, there's only so many takes you can have, and at the end of the end of a show, you try, you know, I try to be as original. I don't listen to a lot of sports radio mainly because I want to come up with my own stuff. And sometimes I'll come up with something that you know, Covino and Rich will have the same take I have, or they'll have the same take that I had, and people think, oh, you're stealing it from them, But in my case, I don't. I don't purposely don't listen because I want to do my own thing. I have my own opinions when I see the stories and stuff. But there are limits, right, There's only so many different ways you can cut up a story. As we learned years ago when we were coming up in radio the topic tree, Right, there's different branches to the tree, but there's only so many branches on the tree.
Speaker 1: And there's the who, what, where, when, why, how?
Speaker 3: All that.
Speaker 1: But then after that, you know, it's like, okay.
Speaker 5: Also there's some a little bit of copying here and there, where it's a compliment, not somebody trying to steal. I was influenced by this artist or that artist, and so that's in my subconscious because I listened to it so many hundreds of times, and so of course I'm going to be influenced by that, maybe even use a little bit of that style or flavor. And if it comes off like I'm stealing from somebody, did I do that because I'm like, huh, I'm gonna steal from this artist? Or is that me complimenting them because I was a fan of theirs growing up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, for sure, And like I'll I'll give a line like some broadcasters said back when I was a kid, you know, but it's really to me, it's a tribute. It's an homage. Probably usually give him credit. Like I'll say sometimes I'll quote Walt Frazier. I'll say, no, no, hocus pocus, just focus. So he used to say that on the next broadcast, We've we've all quoted the late Dave Niehaus, the Mariners broadcaster. You know, get out the rye, bread and bustard, Grandma, it's grand Salami time.
Speaker 6: You know, all that just regular conversation.
Speaker 1: You'll say, playoffs, Oh, exact, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 5: We imagine at the end of the podcast, if I had to say Ben's impersonation of playoffs was due to the coach at the podium blah blah blah and the year of blah blah blah, that's, in essence, what you got to do as a musician.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a threading a needle, is essentially.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you go back to like Mozart in the beginning, I'm sure everything's been been done, and back in those days stuff wasn't even even written.
Speaker 1: Well, here's a bunch of stories.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed there's a theme in the in the regular news media, there's a theme that we're all going to die because of AI, that AI is going to kill us. And one of the stories I saw this week. Now, the religious, very religious people are very concerned because they're saying that the new AI chat GBT, GPT their word is. They're going to worry that it's creating. It's going to create a new religion. It's going to write its own sacred text, and this is going to create a whole new religion. Are you concerned, Danny? Is this something that keeps you up at night? Are you worried about this?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Oh my oh, you're devastated.
Speaker 3: That's stupid. Now here's another story there. I love the hypocrisy of big corporations. So Docusigne, we've all used DocuSign, especially over the last couple of years since the pandemic become very popular. It's become very profitable. So the people at DocuSign recently announced they are forcing, against their will, their employees to come back to the office. And people are working remotely and they say yeah, to come back.
Speaker 1: So the people at docus Sign did that.
Speaker 3: At the same time, they sent out a report celebrating the fact of all the benefits of working remotely.
Speaker 1: So they're forcing their employees to come back.
Speaker 3: Well at the same time announcing, you know, it's really there's a lot of good stuff. There's a lot of good benefits and perks if you don't work at the office, which is I just I love.
Speaker 5: We were talking about COVID earlier on this podcast. Yeah, that was one thing I remember a conversation. Hot topic was this is a thing of the future. Now it's working out for all these companies. So even after there's a cure and there's no more COVID, people will be able to work remotely and their bosses will trust them.
Speaker 1: Well, the funny thing about that, there's a lot of funny things about that.
Speaker 6: But I.
Speaker 3: The commercial real estate, the fact that these companies are renting out.
Speaker 1: I think that's the biggest issue.
Speaker 3: If these companies did not have leases, like they have to justify to the investors. And we see that in our but in the radio business and radio stations, a lot of people do the shows from their houses these days. The funny thing is years ago Rush Limbaugh often did the show from his Steve Harvey, I've heard Howard Stern in recent years have started to do the show from his. But the point of the matter is that that you know people have done this, but they they've got these long leases and they've got to justify to their shareholders. Well, we've got to we're paying X dollars a month a month for the studio, so we or the office, and so we have to have people in in the building. And so that's that's the main sticking point. We'll do a couple more here. Let's see did you did you guys on Covino Rich talk about the the penis shaped ice in Canada?
Speaker 1: That No, that did not come up.
Speaker 3: Well, this is this seems like a fake story, but as far as I know, it's not so. An iceberg measuring thirty feet peers to look just like a it's got a very fallous look to it, Danny, and it's off the Canadian coast. It's gone viral, a floating dog out there in the ocean. And my favorite part of the story, and the reason this is such a perfect story, is it is off Newfoundland.
Speaker 1: Dildo Newfoundland.
Speaker 6: You're making that up?
Speaker 1: No, I am not, I am not.
Speaker 6: How you really pronounce it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Dildo Newfoundland. That's the name of the town and they love the name.
Speaker 1: I'll sing you the link on this. You can see the photo. It does.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you it does appear to have the shape of the twigg and berries out there floating out in the Atlantic.
Speaker 6: So it's just a hard coincidence.
Speaker 3: It's standing at attention, Danny. It's a very you know, it's a fallical situation.
Speaker 6: Is what it is. It's very much a Dick and Dayton but in dildo.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, the image has gone viral and it's not the only one. If you if you click on the story, you there's also another image from Australia, a venus starfish, so big, big time of the year for for.
Speaker 1: The different weird items in the ocean.
Speaker 6: So you said the word penal earlier. I think I'm sensing a theme here.
Speaker 1: Cock a doodle doo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So click on that and then you can see if you scroll down there's a photo of the the fallicle shaped iceberg. And then if you stroll down a little bit more, there's another photo from Australia. If you scroll a little bit more, there's a photo from Australia of a something on the bottom of the ocean that is turned upwards and does appear see that starfish.
Speaker 5: A little yeah, at the corner of each starfish, it looks.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it looks like a ghos. That's wild. And I like the names they say. They said Horne Star, they named it starfish.
Speaker 1: You know what, Danny, here, we're going to make a fortune. You know, we gotta do.
Speaker 3: We've got to go to Australia, get a couple of those. We got to breed those starfishes. You know how many of those things we would sell as a gag gift? How many people would want that in their fish tank, the porn star.
Speaker 1: Starfish. Oh my god, that we make a ton of money.
Speaker 6: It's also nicknamed the coctopus. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so good. Oh so good. Oh my, that is outstanding. Anyway, we'll get out on that. Anything you want to promote, get out on the contapus. I say we'd get off on it. I said we'd get out of it. But what do we What do we got going? On?
Speaker 2: Saturday?
Speaker 3: Day of rest for me, I'll be doing stuff around the mallor mansion and whatnot that needs to be done. Anything on your agenda today, Danny.
Speaker 5: My chickadee, she had a baby shower last Saturday while I was off fishing, okay, and there was so much baby gear in the garage. I had organized the garage. It looked so clean, so fresh, and so clean, and now it looks like two palettes of baby has been delivered to the garage from all these Amazon gifts from family and friends, and so very grateful to have some diapers and whatever baby crap you're imagining. It's here in the garage and so we got to go through it and organize it.
Speaker 6: And now I want that out of my man cave.
Speaker 3: Well, it's nice that your love number one. Number two we have. We noticed as a society we only care about kids when they're little babies. When they get a little older, you're on your own. And those you pointed this out, Danny, and I'm aware of this as well, Like those kids grow so fast, like you're not. They're gonna go through all those clothes in a year, you know, a couple of years, and he'll be on to some other stuff.
Speaker 5: And that's why my wife, he was telling family and friends, hey, try to get some things for when the baby's a little older, because we have lots of hand me downs already for when the baby's an infant. You know, at least we were planning and thinking ahead. And she was able to recycle a lot of her son's clothes that she still had in storage.
Speaker 6: Oh that's good. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Very good. We'll have a great day today, whatever you up to.
Speaker 3: We got another mailbag podcast, and again, if you missed it, I assume you've already made it through this whole podcast you heard me earlier, but if not for some reason, be fast forward the Friday podcast. Everything you need to know, all the details, all the information for the Malor meet and greet, which is two weeks from today. So if you're listening to us in Minnesota or Wisconsin or Iowa any reasonable diet driving distance, we would love to meet you.
Speaker 1: I'll be there hanging out on May twentieth, May twenty.
Speaker 3: If I'll be there and can not wait for that, have a great day.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, see you tomorrow for the mailbag Later. Skater by Filatious