Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan ats Dan Patrick Show. We'll take you out to the combine. What are the Bears going to do? What's their GM really saying? Do they like justin fields? Do they love justin fields? Or is it all the smoke screen? Have that for you coming up?
Speaker 2: Also the NFL, as the NFL likes to do, it's going to toy with some things in the off season. I believe that the fumble the ball into the end zone through the end zone, that's not going to be changed this upcoming season. From what I was told, the issue was dead and I went dead. Yeah, So if you fumble the ball, let's say you're going for a touchdown, you put your arm out, ball goes through the end zone. See you, tough luck for you. Eight seven seven three. DP Show email address is dp at Danpatrick dot com. WHOA, I just saw this. Marvin has his own T shirt yet another one the first Prince of Dan ayir.
Speaker 3: Man. Thank you. Things can be getting better.
Speaker 2: Yes, who is it better than you do? No? No one, I know, nobody, nobody. Yeah, I just saw it. It's brand new the first Prince of Dan's Air and it's available with Danpatrick dot com.
Speaker 3: I like that with the fresh Prince.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, well from.
Speaker 4: Marvin's big article in Yukon magazine. We're taking from that sort of to celebrate Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, big moment. Yeah yeah. Marvin featured prominently in the Yukon Huskies magazine.
Speaker 3: I mean I wasn't on the cover, but I mean I'll take the article.
Speaker 2: Yeah, already complaining, Yeah, this page. Becker's been in that, I don't think so. Danny Hurley been in then.
Speaker 3: I don't even know who that is.
Speaker 2: Yes, you do, you're mister Husky, mister Husky.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's got more? So Todd's Bronco gear or your Husky gear. I haven't seen Todd's closet, and I don't want to, but I would think that we have we have some things that have been there for a long, long long time. And he's a lot older than you, so I'm guessing Todd has more Bronco gear than you have. You Kon Husky.
Speaker 5: Probably, And there's some stuff from when I was a kid that I still have saved and obviously I.
Speaker 3: Can't wear it.
Speaker 2: How come you can't wear it because it was a boys medium?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, okay, that nineteenninety six Big East Championship t shirt that I have, I just can't wear it anymore.
Speaker 2: Stata that I brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Caitlin Clark tries to claim another scoring record. Find out tonight Iowa faces Minnesota nine Eastern exclusively on Peacock, which is where you can find this program. Lynette Woodard is not getting the credit she deserves. I know this isn't a big deal. It is to me having met Lynette. She played at Kansas, she played for the Globetrotters, and when she was scoring and setting the all time record in women's college basketball, it wasn't known as the NC double A at the time. That to me is an oversight and she should be recognized because she was a wonderful player. And the fact that we're going to celebrate Caitlyn Clark, that's fine. You want to celebrate her passing Pete Marrivich, that's fine as well, But Caitlyn Clark should be celebrated for what she's done with the NC double A. And women's college basketball basketball in general. But let's not forget the others here. A lot of times what happens is when you're going to break a record, we sometimes bring back that person's name that you haven't heard in a long time, and then you get to celebrate them again. We should be celebrating Lynette Woodard and her all time record, that Caitlyn Clark is going to pass Pete Marivich. What he did, when he did it, how he did it. It's different than anybody who ever played the sport and given a three point shot and staying four years, he probably would have had six thousand career points. He would have averaged over fifty a game with a three point shot. He played three years, no three point shot. He's the all time scoring leader, and Caitlin Clark has less than one hundred points to go to surpass Pete Merrivich. All right, Paul, question for hour two is going to be watched.
Speaker 4: Heaton O'Connor, well, Dan up there for hour one, We've got which quarterback is most likely to be on a new team next season? Justin field, Russell, Wilson or Kirk Cousins. Right now, Russell's got fifty seven percent.
Speaker 2: Of the vote.
Speaker 4: Justin Fields is thirty three and Kirk Cousins has ten percent, so.
Speaker 2: He's pretty yeah, I think he's going back to Minnesota.
Speaker 4: It feels like the Broncos are the ones who have most clearly been like, well, I think we're ready to move on right now. Justin Fields, it's very much up in the air.
Speaker 2: Feels like it is. Well, here's the GM of the Bears, Ryan Poles.
Speaker 6: We're open minded as we walk into the combine. If it hits me that there's something you know worth capitalizing on or jumping on, that's what we'll do. If something doesn't feel right and we need to gather more information, then we'll wait. But again, I'm always gonna have in my mind and make sure we do right by Justin I don't know what that means. You're going to do right by Justin Fields.
Speaker 2: If you wanted to do right by him, you would keep him and then you would pay him. I mean right right. We want to do right by him, or at least give you the public perception that we're doing right by him, while we hold out hope that somebody is going to want to give us a boatload of draft picks for Justin Fields. That's really what this comes down to.
Speaker 4: Know, we want to do right by him, okay, and then by doing right by him, we mean getting rid of it by him, maybe less in the sting yet a little bit.
Speaker 2: And then Sean Payton, he's not saying we want to do right by Russell Wilson. It sounds like he's ready to move on from Russell Wilson. And here's what he had to say yesterday.
Speaker 7: I saw this humorous meme the other day where there's a Bronco fan with a shirt on and there was like eight quarterbacks names across through it, you know, and he's drinking the quarterback kool aid. And our job is to make sure that this next one, you know, doesn't have a line through it.
Speaker 2: Okay, And if you're wondering, it has former Bronco names on the back of a jersey and they're all crossed out, including Russell Wilson's name being crossed out. So for Sean Payton to say, well, you know, the next one we get, we don't want that name getting crossed out, that doesn't sound like he's going to be keeping Russell Wilson. And it feels like by all accounts with these mock drafts, if you can trust them at this stage that they would be interested in JJ McCarthy from Michigan. All right, the NFL is looking at picking up something from the XFL. The XFL had a model with their kickoffs that the kicker kicking from the thirty yard line, the rest of the kickoff team was on the opposing team's thirty five yard line, separated by ten yards from the receiving team. And let's see, separated from ten members, I should say, so they're five yards apart. It's at the thirty five, and you're going to be at your thirty and then there's going to be a kickoff. So apart from the kicker and the returner, none of the other special teamers are allowed to move until the ball is fielded. So the NFL, right now, you're at the thirty five yard line, that's where everybody's lined up, and then you run down and try to tackle somebody if there happens to be a kickoff, which there wasn't a kickoff return in this year's Super Bowl. But if they're going to approve a rule chae something close to this model, it will take twenty four votes by the NFL owners. Okay, I saw it in the XFL. It was interesting, what do you do if you want to have an onside kick? You're basically saying to the opposition, we're going to have an onside kick because now everybody has to come back and be on the thirty five yard line. But maybe we do get some kickoffs here, but as you know, if you want kickoffs, maybe have the kicker at the twenty five yard line and then have a kickoff. They don't want to have these, you know, build up ahead of steam and then have these cataclysmic crashes into each other. That's what they're trying to avoid. So this is basically you're standing there, he's standing there, and we're going to wait until that you know, the kick returner fields it. Now we get to go. So you're going to take away probably a forty yard sprint down the field to run into somebody. Now, those collisions you won't be as impactful and devastating, and that's what the NFL is trying to rid the league of. But still it's the most It used to be the most exciting play in the NFL is the kickoff. Now, like I'm shocked if it doesn't go out of the end zone. Like, what is wrong with you, dude? Yeah, pulling for most of our lifetime. I'm looking at the stats. Kicks returned per game in the NFL, and for most of our life until twenty ten, four kicks per game were returned by both teams in an average NFL game. Over the past twelve years, it's gone down to about two kicks per game because of rule changes. Last year it was down to one point one kicks per game returned combined from both teams, lowest by far in NFL history.
Speaker 7: Stand of the Day, Stand of the Day, Statuta Day, stant outa day.
Speaker 2: This is the Stand of the Day. Stout of the Day, brought to you behind Padenia Mayora, the official trading cards of this program. By the way, the NFL Combine. We'll talk to Daniel Jeremiah, who's also a draft expert for NFL Network, former front office executive. We'll talk to him about these quarterbacks who aren't working out and what he thinks the Bears are going to do. Also, the forty yard dash is really important to a lot of teams, does it really? I guess turn out successful NFL players because you can run really fast, and you know some of the names. You know, Chris Johnson, he obviously did had two thousand yard season. Remember John Ross. I remember watching him in a game and I was thinking, there is nobody who can guard that gun. They can't cover him, And he ran the fastest forty yard dash. I think it was like four to two two, although I think Darryl Green and Joey Galloway and Dion probably would differ with those times there because you might have had somebody go for to one for one something, But forty yard dash, it just means you can run really fast in a straight line, and football is not about straight lines. There and a lot of these guys, what was it.
Speaker 8: Dree played for the Steelers, Archer Archer out of the mac he played.
Speaker 2: At Kent State. That was another guy. I saw him and I go, who's going to cover him? In the NFL? And then he lasted I think two seasons. It's rare when you have that guy who's really really fast and really really good. So when you watch the forty yard dash, Okay, somebody's gonna run fast. I think what's interesting for us is when you see a quarterback who runs something you know four to six sub four six, and then we go okay, or you see a tight end or you see an edge rusher. Those you know, that's more interesting for me. But they're gonna put him through all the workouts, the bench press, a vertical jump, the long long jump, the jump there.
Speaker 8: Yes, Pauline, I'm reading an article that in the past few years the forty is passe and the ten yards split. Hello, Yeah, you're a tenure You've always been ten.
Speaker 2: Yard split guy, always.
Speaker 8: And the ten yard split is the first ten yards meters of the forty yard dash, and guys like Tyreek Hill are the all timers because it shows their quickness off the ball.
Speaker 2: That's all I care about what you do, even the first five yards, because that allows you separation if you're running back to get to the hole, if your alignment to get to the next level. If you're an edge rusher, it's five you know, those first five yards or ten yards, that's all I care about. And the reason the forty yard dash, even as in existence, that we care about it is because of the former coach, the great Paul Brown, because he thought that there was going to be the forty yards between the punt return team and those who were punting forty yards. He wanted to know how fast you could run forty yards to get down the field. And that's how we came up with the emphasis for the forty yard dash. But it doesn't translate to success. Quickness translates to success. That ability to get off the ball, That to me is what I You watched Tyreek Hill, you know, when we did hard knocks during the season, and I would watch him. I felt bad for the deep. There is no way that you could cover him off the ball. No way he was going to beat you off the ball every single time. And give me those kind of guys instead of the guy who's a track guy.
Speaker 8: Yeampon last year's NFL combine the running backs with the top three ten yard splits fastest off the ball, Jamir Gibbs, b Jeon Robinson, Devon Chan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and they all had significant impact here. All right. So that's the new kickoff format. And look, if it brings more excitement in and it does help, you know, player safety, than great. You know, I do like that. You know, the NFL they're concerned about players safety, but boy, they'd love to add that eighteenth game. It's like, yeah, you know, we got to give the impression that we care about your safety and we're gonna cut down on all these massive collisions on a kickoff. But hey, would you like to play an eighteenth game? I thought you would, all right, And let's get a couple of phone calls in here. Moe and Arizona leads us off Hour two.
Speaker 9: Hi Mo, morning, Dan Dennett's still coming off my Super Bowl lost hiatus. But I just had to act if Marvin said he still has a bunch of stuff from when he was a kid. Can you still fit your Little League gloves?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow? Mo with the shot that's a hand sized joke with Marvin Aprop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mo, I thought we were cool. Yeah, but first of all, yes, I can still fit in them. But that was hurtful.
Speaker 2: Did you see where they were going to auction off Babe Ruth's glove that he used in nineteen fifteen, and then they took I think it's the oldest piece of Babe Ruth memorabilia. And then I don't know how long before the auction that they decided that they now it's autographed. It was autographed twice by Babe Ruth. He even says, this is my glove and for some reason they took it off the market there, but that was just recently.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's gonna end up where like Charlie Sheen has it. I've never seen that again. I wonder if Charlie Sheen has any more of those jerseys. He said he knew he had a problem when I think it was his coffee table that there was a Ted Williams autograph jersey or something.
Speaker 2: Is that right, Pauling?
Speaker 8: He was in his normal T shirt drawer, like you know, you get your T shirts and he's gone like white teaser blue T shirt and a nineteen forty one road Ted Williams jersey was in there. It's worth like an eighty grand.
Speaker 2: That's when you know you got a problem.
Speaker 3: But he was.
Speaker 2: He collected a lot of memorabilia back in the day. Dan and Toledo, Hi, Dan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Dan and Dennetz. How's everybody this morning?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 10: Hey, Dan, I have a kind of an obscure question for you, And then I have has any GM front office exec for any sport, which I know that you're friends with a lot of women. You've got great insight. Has anybody reached out to you privately and asked what you think that they should do for their team relative to a draft or a trade, and that's your question. Does the color of highlighter in your hand mean anything? Because it keeps changing colors.
Speaker 2: I have this tick that I'm always holding the pen. So there's a yellow sharpie, there's a silver one. I've had a red one, whatever one is on my desk. Then I just end up kind of fiddling with it. Twice, it's happened where somebody basketball related asked my thoughts about some players and one actually went with what my opinion was on this player and one did not. But yeah, they're just curious. They had seen me where I'd been at a game or two, and just we're curious, and probably did this with a variety of people. It wasn't just me, I'm sure, but yeah, I was honored by it, but just say what do you see? And then I would I gave my opinion. Another guy, well, yeah, I don't want to get too deep into the weeds, but yes, it's happened a couple of times, and I appreciated it and gave my opinion. And whether they acted upon it, I'm not quite sure. I never followed up either. I thought that was weird to say, Hey, what did you think of my advice? My insight? You're a talking hairdo you know? I didn't take your advice. So we'll take a break here and we'll get more phone calls. We'll go out to the combine there, we'll check in with the Chicago Bears coming up next hour as well. I think they already know what they're doing. I think they've already made that decision. And it was a year ago around this time when they made the trade with Carolina. I think that's where we're headed again this year, where they'll be making a move here and it'll probably the seeds were planted at the combine, so Daniel Jeremiah said, to join us. Coming up next take a break back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 3: The podcast is called All Ball.
Speaker 11: We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way.
Speaker 3: We talked to.
Speaker 11: Coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 5: I think you like it.
Speaker 11: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: John Ross, Chris Johnson, Dree Arch, Jerome Mathis, Tarique Woolan, Marquise Goodwin, Tyrone, Calico, Stanford Route, Jalen Myrick, JJ Nelson, Jacoby Ford. What do they have in common? They all ran the forty in four point two seconds. Not a lot of success out of that group, but we continue to spend a lot of time talking about the forty yard dash. Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network Analyst, Chargers Radio color analyst and his Moving the Sticks podcast with Bucky Brooks and Rhet Lewis, NFL Network providing live coverage from the Combine Thursday through Sunday. Why do we play so much emphasis still in the forty yard dash?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 12: First of all, Dan, that was like announcing everyone who was not nominated for an oscar there with that list of players. But look, it's still to me, it's helpful for thresholds. You know, you want to see guys hit certain thresholds, because there's a reason why you have the phrase outliers like most of the successful players at positions, And that's what I'll try and do during our coverage. It's frame it with that perspective of most of the players that are successful. The top ten receivers and receptions, these are what they average ran, this is what they average jumped, and you can kind of just see, Okay, is this player that's on the line right now, is he kind of parking his car in the right neighborhood. For those who've been successful.
Speaker 2: I love the ten yards That to me, I think you can get a ten yard time and see success at any position because it's so quick off the line, your lineman, your lineback, your edge rusher, your wide receiver, running back, I mean all of that. But that's not glamorous because if somebody says, oh, what was your ten yard time, it doesn't resonate where you go. Damn, did you see how fast his ten yard time was?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean look for it. Is that way really in draft rooms, when you're talking about lineman, we talk of offensive lineman defensive lineman for sure, and that's the number. We don't really spend much time talking about the forty on those big guys. We talk about that, you know, on corners it matters. The forty matters because you'll see guys who can get up to top speed quickly, but then they don't have that other gear and you'll see receivers separate from them down the field. Same thing for wide out. So there's value in the longer distance with those skill players. But for the lineman absolutely. I mean, that's all you really focus on is the ten.
Speaker 2: What is the number one topic in Indie.
Speaker 3: The Bears?
Speaker 12: You know, it's just it's it's there's so many different layers to it.
Speaker 10: Dan.
Speaker 12: So normally you come into this thing and it's like, Okay, this team has the first pick, they don't have a quarterback. You know which one of these one? You know, one, two or three guys are you know, who are we talking about here? Who are they going to take? And now you have the fields factor, you have the fact that they have the ninth pick as well, and just kind of how all that stuff works together and that is going to have the trickle down effect on the rest of the draft. So that's you know, when you're walking around on the street and you run into buddies and stuff. Everybody. Everybody wants to know what the heck those guys are going to do.
Speaker 2: The Raiders GM, when asked about DeVante Adams, said he's a Raider. When the Bears, GM was asked about Justin Fields, he was like, uh, you know, we're open, We're not sure. I want to do right by Justin if you if you want to commit to him, you can and then the free for all begins for that number one overall pick. Yeah, you think they're moving on.
Speaker 12: I'm with you. I've been saying that from the From the very beginning, I felt like this was this was going to happen. They were going to move on. Now, I would say in terms of the odds that I feel like it's eighty to ninety percent they are going to stick at one and they're going to take Caleb Williams and the other ten to twenty percent is okay, maybe they have they're comfortable with one of these other quarterbacks, and they're comfortable maybe moving back within range to still get Justin Field's replacement. But I just the way that you know, the way that look from the outside, and then I'm waiting for polls to say something that's going to change my mind, and that didn't happen at all with what he said, because you would come in there and say, Dan, look, we love Justin fields the strides that he's taken. I mean for us to go in a different direction, they would we would have to be blown away to not stick with Justin because of how excited we are. That did not sound like that yesterday.
Speaker 2: No, it did not. It did not. I brought up the potential for a new kickoff adopting the XFL model. What do you think the realistic possibility is of something like that too? You know, we had the biggest game of the year and there were no kickoff returns. What would you do if you're going to try to incorporate something to start a game instead of starting a game with the touchback?
Speaker 12: Well, then full transparency. I've spent a lot of time over the last several months watching the three hundred and thirty guys here, and I haven't caught up on the XFL in a few years since it launched. So is the XFL kickoff role?
Speaker 2: Okay, they're going to have you separated by five yards, so the kicking team is going to be at your thirty five. You're receiving lineman. All ten guys are going to be at the thirty Okay, they can't move until the ball is fielded. Oh interesting, so no runouts whatsoever?
Speaker 12: Yeah, you eliminate the runway.
Speaker 2: Yes, what do you think?
Speaker 10: I like that?
Speaker 3: I like that?
Speaker 12: And look, you know, calling the Charger games, it's become time where you know, you kind of grab your water when they're kicking off and make sure you're taking care of here and see who what personnel group is going to try it out onto the field. So I would like to see it become a play again. It's it's impacted me just watching players dan like I normally when I watch the whiteouts, and I'll go through and I'll look at their return yards and I'll go, okay, I'm gonna watch all their returns, and I'm like, why why am I? Why am I spending my time evaluating these guys kickoff returns? There are not really a kickoff return anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder what we're gonna do with the punt, Like, is the NFL I'm going to somehow modify what you can do on a punt, Like I don't know how far they're going to take this, but I do get concerned about then.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, I look that's interesting. I again, I didn't see the XFL, but I think that is kind of a fascinating come you know, kind of a way to combine things to make it more safe, but yet have have it be a meaningful play the punt thing. I don't know what the answer would be there.
Speaker 2: He's Daniel Jeremiah, NFL network analyst and Chargers radio color analyst. The quarterbacks who are going to show up. I don't know how many are going to go through drills, but that could you be swayed with the medicals and you know, the interviewing portion more so than you see something on the field.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the most powerful, you know, tool that would impact your draft stock is what happens with the medical because then it's not even you don't even get to make the decision. You know. I've been in the personnel room where we finished meetings, you know, going into the combine, and I've seeing the board and how we had it stacked up. And then you come back for the next round of meetings in a first of April, and you go what happened to Johnson? Johnson was all the way up there like he's off, like the medical stuff. He got completely taken off of our board. So that's, you know, that's the most impactful thing that happens down here this week. And I would say I was talking to some I was talking to a GM yesterday about the interviews and he was saying, how you know, how much can you get out of fifteen minutes with a kid? And I said, well, I don't know that they can convince you of anything or sell you on anything, but I have been in there, and he admitted he had too. We're some and it's very rare people disqualify themselves rather quickly in a fifteen minute interview. But that's rare.
Speaker 2: Okay. Did you have any silly questions when you were doing these interviews? I?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I my favorite one. I think I might have told you this before. My favorite one was when we had pac Man Jones in and we asked him. I didn't ask him, but somebody in the room. I hate the one to ten questions, but somebody in the room asked him, how would you judge your hands on a scale of one to ten? And pac Man looked at his right hand and said, ten, and then he looked at his left hand and said ten. He created them individually, not collectively.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that, where's your second tier? You draw the line with the three Drake May, Jane Daniels, and Caleb Williams, and then there's a drop off.
Speaker 12: Yeah for me. For me, yeah, there's a drop off then you get into the next three. So I feel like we have, you know, kind of a three man battle at the top, and then I think kind of have a three man battle for that next one with McCarthy, with bow Nix and with Pennix. And so that's the cool thing about this, you know, like we won't see the top three guys out there throwing at the combine, but there's other competitions taking place. And to be honest with you, Dan, I don't know who would you rather be. Would you rather be one of those three teams competing to go to a team that's picking first, second, or third, or would you rather be those other three who are gonna get a chance to go to better rosters, you know, less pressure, more players around you. Like that that we could have an argument on whether that's the better option there.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we've talked about it. I certainly have on the show that the reason why some quarterbacks are successful is they went a little bit later and went to a more established team and the coach. You know, look at Mahomes. If Mahomes goes to you know, Carolina or whoever, you know, even this year, Patrick Mahomes and Carolina would not be Patrick Mahomes. He just wouldn't be. But you go, you got a Hall of fame coach, they have some Hall of Fame talent on that team, and you put in his talent. And you know that's what when you're more successful, you're more successful sooner. Sometimes when you go a little bit later in the in the draft.
Speaker 12: Yeah, at the continuity, man, it's it's everything for those guys. And like I get asked the question about Kayleb Williams all the time, as I can he be you know, you know, maybe not Patrick Moulk. Can it be like Patrick Mahomes, can he have you know, can he.
Speaker 10: Be that down?
Speaker 12: I'm like, well, does he get to go sit behind Alex Smith for a year, get coached by Andy Reid for a year and throw to Kelsey and Tyreek Hill as he kind of gets to speak what I'd feel very confident and saying, yep, I'll stamp that one, that one's going to happen. But you don't know what type of environment these guys are going to go into.
Speaker 2: Well, there's the reason why these teams are picking high because they've had turnover. Maybe you don't have good ownership. Maybe uh, you know, it's a new coach, an offensive coordinator and you know all of those things. Also, they got rid of the cognitive test after what happened to CJ. Stroud. Help me understand exactly, you know, was this a smear campaign with CJ Stroud? You know, was it leaked to embarrass him or have him drop? You know, is it is it you know strategy here?
Speaker 12: I think you probably. I think that's given whoever leaked at too much credit. I think a lot of times what happens is there's a weird relationship between you know, coaches or even personnel who get access to this information and they become friendly with reporters and it's kind of you know, I'm not saying this is the motivation, but a lot of times it's, hey, you know, you're kind of helping me with you know, con text and helping me get my name out there and helping me. Hey, let me give you a little something. How about this? Can you believe this? This kid got you know, such and such on a test. Uh, And it's kind of just like a trade of information there. I don't think there was anything that was you know, ah, we're going to try and get him to fall in our lap and he's going to drop in the draft. I think it was something probably like that.
Speaker 2: Well, considering how CJ. Stround performed, you know, maybe we you know, reconsider that test. I know some agencies just said we're not going to have our players take it, and and you know, I feel bad even the Wonder Lick. I wouldn't take the Wonder Lick, and I wouldn't take the cognitive test because not everything is shared, so it's not going to be private. And then all of a sudden, you know you're going to be the guy who got a nine on the wonder Lick. You can't play football, or you know, your cognitive test was really low, you can't play. I don't know. I understand the player's side of this.
Speaker 12: So I used to have to at Pro Day's. When you're scouting, you carry in your backpack a stack of wonder Lick tests and the guys that hadn't taken them, or hadn't been to the combine or at the proto, you'd have to administer the test. So I come home from a pro day and I put my bag on the table and I can't clean out my backpack and these tests around the table. My wife goes, what's that and I go, oh, this is the Wonderlick test. I said, I'll tell you what. You sit down at a twelve minute test. You take it first, and then I'll take it after you take it. So my wife takes it and she gets like a I want like a thirty seven or a thirty eight, which is a really high score. I go, hey, that's great. She goes, Okay, your turn. I go, no chance, I said, I've spent my whole life thinking you're smarter than me. I don't want it to be concretely proven. It didn't take it not happening. Yeah, So I didn't want to share that information with my significant other. I can imagine how other people must feel when it gets public.
Speaker 2: Okay, but does it really translate into anything? When you're asking me these questions like give me a for instance, question.
Speaker 12: A lot of times it can be like the simple you know, if you're leaving you know this city at this time and you're going sixty miles an hour or two hours from now, you know that that type of that type of stuff.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I I've never I've never been a huge believer in that. I've been on teams where some of our lowest scores on that because it would be on their draft card. Are you know they have gold jackets hanging in their closet right now, so you know, I never bought to that. But I think people dan and whether it's the cognitive tests or whether it's a metric, whether it's you know, the GPS data that we get now, whether it's a stat that these guys have. Everybody's trying to find like the okay, what's the code here, what's the cheat code for how we figure these players out? And it turns out there isn't one. Man, it's not it's not a science. There is not one you know, data point. There's not one question you get an answer and you're gonna know who these guys are. It's I mean, it's a it's a flip of the coin sometimes, man, you don't. It's it's it's it's difficult to figure out. And I think people have tried to find a shortcut and there isn't one.
Speaker 2: I go back to when I was told about a quarterback and this was equipment manager, and he said, wait till you get a load of this guy, and I go, what do you mean? He goes, doesn't put in the time, doesn't put in the effort, and was it well liked? And he's going to go high in the draft. And then I immediately thought, I wonder how often people do background checks from the standpoint of you know, if the equipment guy, team manager, any of those things. And I know that it puts them in a tough spot, but you do want to find out about this guy somehow, some way. Hey, dear teammates like you. Like it seems so simple, your teammates like you. And in this case, he proved to be correct in what he was saying about this player who didn't turn out to be a successful quarterback in the NFL.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I've always found like these combine interviews. I would learn more about their teammates than I would about them individually, because they're going to have all their canned answers. They've been training, they've had people telling them what to say to all these questions. But when you have a kid in from Texas and you say, hey, any of your teammates say anything at halftime when you were down, you know, by two touchdowns in this particular game, any of your teammates said, oh, gosh, the linebacker, you know, Smith came in and he was, you know, getting in everybody's face and got us going and blah blah blah blah blah. And I've learned more about his teammate than I did about him in that fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you, have fun there, and uh, we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna stress it ten times this year, Dan, I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it. Thank you, buddy, Daniel Jeremiah. NFL network analyst Rich Eisen has the forty. I'm going to do the ten.
Speaker 8: Oh you gotta start preparing though, No, I don't, can you? I would tap out at eight probably I wouldn't make it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to coast like I'm going to do like Ussein Bolt where he looks over his shoulder when I get to eight yards, I'm gonna be like, eh, where are you I'm gonna do the ten yard dash? Take a break? Phone calls coming up back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search f SR to listen live.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this starting the hour Caitlin Clark plays tonight against Minnesota and moving in on Pete Marivitch's all time scoring record, But I mentioned Lynette Woodard who played at Kansas and then played for the Globe Trotters, and when she was playing and setting the all time scoring record, there wasn't an nc double A and I think it was the aia W, perhaps Paulie if I'm correct with the.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you are correct, and the AIAW the Intercollegiate Athletics for Women. They changed in the nineteen eighty two season to the NCAA. So Caitlyn Clark is the NCAA all time leading score now. Lynette Woodard missed the NCAA by one season. She played one more seasons at Kansas. She also didn't have a three point line, by the way, but she if she played one more season at Kansas, she would have overlapped with one year with the NCAA. Now here's the thing that's unfair to her. Other people like coaches Tera van Derveer and Pat Summit. They coached the AIAW, and their wins in the AIAW translated over to their overall record wins in their careers.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that right.
Speaker 8: So some people are saying that it's not really fair because she didn't play one year of crossing over that her stats don't come with because it's happened in other cases.
Speaker 2: Caitlin Clark has been unbelievable. But I think you know, when you honor those who are breaking records, now, just don't forget about those that you know came before the predecessors. And maybe somebody will tonight mention Lynette and what she did. And yes, she did play for the Globehotters. She obviously was a wonderful player, but she should be recognized here. I saw where Jay Williams of the Mothership did he say Caitlin Clark's not great yet because she hasn't won a championship. I think that was were we on break when he said that, And I'm thinking, well, there's a lot of players and a lot of sports. Who aren't great, then Alan Iverson not great, Dan Reno not great, Charles Barklay not great, Karl Malone not great. If you want to say greatest of all time, that's fine, okay. And if you're going to use that logic, if Jay is using that logic, then Breonna Stewart is the greatest college women's college basketball player of all time, not even close, No argument, can't be. She won four titles and I believe she was most valuable player all four at times they won the tournament, right, got to be the greatest of all time? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he was saying not that she's not great, but that you can't put her in the conversation of greatest of all time until you win a championship.
Speaker 2: I thought he was saying he didn't use the word great yet. I thought he said goat. Oh okay, Well, I want to be fair to Jay. I thought he said that he can't use the word great yet. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought it was goat, but goat great but could be. Yeah, he said that there's levels to greatness and if you want to be considered one of the greatest of all time time, you have to have championships.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if she was on a on Yukon, she would probably have a title or two. Or South Carolina LSU. I mean is who is at Reese with LSU Angel Reese. I mean she transferred, but she went to LSU. I think she was at Maryland so she could be in conversation before Caitlin Clark becures she's won a title. I get it that, you know, bottom line sports society, that we want you to win championships, But in some instances, I think you have to look at the context of how good you were when you played. I don't think I was a good you know, a top end basketball team. I think she makes them a top end basketball team. South Carolina doesn't have any stars. South Carolina's the best team in the country, no name recognition, lost all five starters from last year, but they are the favorites to win the title. Yeah, and greatness is an open conversation. What about greatness in lifting up a sport, lifting up a university Iowa University, lifting up the sport of women's basketball. There's a lot of people have won titles who have not lifted anything, have not captivated America. That's a different level of greatness. Your personal definition the impact that she's had on her sport. It's like Steph Curry. If Steph Curry didn't win a title, but he's still with Steph Curry, He'd still be the greatest shooter of all time. But you throw in the titles. Now he can be at least in the conversation. He's in at least the room of greatest player of all time. He may not call his name for a little while, but he's still there because he won those championships.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paulin, you could make the case, and I'm not trying to overdo it here, so pump the brakes. Is kayl and Clark can be compared a little bit to Wayne Gretzky in changing direction of a sport, or interest in a sport, or captivation of a true phenom. And you know, if you saw what Gretzky did for hockey in America. Now, I don't not equating apples to apples, but women's basketball in the past four years, the ratings speak for themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, she's selling out buildings. I mean, when's the last time you know a student body stormed the court after a win? You know, where ten thousand people at Ohio State went to see or play. She has had a great impact. I don't think she's going to win the title this year. You know, if they get to the final four, that'll be a monumental achievement there because they Indiana's a good team, Ohio State's a good team, and you know there's other good teams just in the Big Ten. But her impact has been wonderful. But it goes back to what I said before, don't forget about the players who came before you. I'm not saying she's not remembering them. Cheryl Miller's probably the best female player I ever saw, but having seen her in person, but Caitlin Clark, I mean that's that's a whole different level of impact on a sport. Cheryl's the first athlete I saw. I was like, Wow, Cheryl can play. Final Hour on the way, we'll check in with the Chicago Bears. We'll get to your phone calls as well. One more hour in the books to go. Dan Patrick's show