Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, we look ahead to FED Chair Kevin Worsh's first address in Jackson Hall. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington.
Speaker 3: I'm Stephen Caroln London. We're looking ahead to a key meeting of French business leaders as they count down to the pivotal presidential election in France.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Chrisner, looking at how overall inflation in Japan compares with price increases in Tokyo.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three year, New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Syrias, XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. Good day to you.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager, and we begin today's program with an eye on the Grand Tetons. Central bankers from around the world are headed to Jackson Hole once again for the Kansas City Fed's annual Economic Policy Symposium. It is going to be the first appearance for new FED Chairman Kevin Worsh, so there is heavy anticipation for what he has to say at his keynote address later this week. Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee is going to be in Jackson Hole once again as part of our team covering the event this year. But Mike is here with me now in our Washington studio to preview what the chairman might have to say, given that he's told market participants that he doesn't want the FED saying as much.
Speaker 5: So what are we expecting, Well, we're expecting something, but we're not exactly sure what. The title of this or the subject of this symposium is payment systems, which would attract a very small subset of the people out there in the markets. So the original thought was because he didn't want to say a thing, he might stick to that subject. But now that he's had trouble with the markets and the question of FED credibility, there is a feeling he's going to want to say something that will make him seem more credible, that will enable the markets to take him more seriously when he says he's going to make sure they get back to the two percent inflation target. It's a bit of a threading the needle because he doesn't want to do any kind of forward guidance. But if he emphasizes the FED maybe would use all its tools in the event, that kind of speech that might get some attention as well.
Speaker 2: Is that the kind of thing that would be enough for market participants just to say that the Fed is willing to use all its tools when I think the markets have kind of gotten used to the idea that the FED at least under pass chair and have been a little bit more specific about saying that they could go ahead and raise rates, lower rates, that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: That's the trade off Worsh is working on. He doesn't want the markets to take their cues from the Fed. He wants the markets to take their cues from the data and the news out there, and then the FED would follow along. Basically, So how far can he go and build credibility again without going farther than he wants to and setting a precedent that then he'd have to live up to going on with future guidance on what they're going to do. Now, he does have some other things he could talk about. He could certainly talk about the task forces that he's put in place and what he hopes to get out of them, and maybe in general, what he hopes to accomplish as a FED chairman who's going to bring radical change, as he's put it to the Central Bank.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not expecting then, that the Chairman is sort of feverishly reworking his remarks given the action that we've seen in the markets these last few days and weeks when it comes to rising bond yields.
Speaker 5: I think at this point he would be just still writing it, because he told us on July twenty ninth that he hadn't started writing it yet. So maybe it's in the first draft or second draft stage. But no, the problem here is the same thing, the same problem we have all the time with this administration. In places, the news changes so quickly that trying to keep up with it is very difficult. So I suspect that he would be speaking more in general terms rather than in specific terms. Now, we did have last week the Treasury Department announcing its plan to double the buybacks increased liquidity, basically to try to keep people able to buy treasuries. The yields obviously worrying the Treasury Secretary, and that could have an impact on the Fed. It could mean that the Fed wants to cut to raise rates on the short end to build credibility, and that would then send long yields lower. But that's something that's probably too specific for him to get into because that would amount to forward guidance.
Speaker 2: It raises an interesting point, given that the chairman has said he doesn't want to give forward guidance to the market necessarily, could he give a little bit more clarity when it comes to whether the Fed and the Treasury are going to be working a little more closely together going forward.
Speaker 5: Well, that's an interesting possibility because he has said all along before he was the chair and since he's been chair that he wants to work on a so called Treasury Accord, an updated Treasury Accord, And the idea generally is that the Fed would try to align its securities buying, because it still is not new Q right now, but it's still buying securities to keep up with the rise and the money supply and demand for money, and so align that with what Treasury is issuing. And right now Treasury is moving to shorten its maturities. They haven't done anything besides the buybacks in terms of an announcement, but markets are expecting one in a reasonable amount of time, and in that case, then he might make it more clear that the Fed is much more interested in having a portfolio structured towards the short end and towards bills, which would work together with Treasury.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for being at least a part of this bit of the build up. Mike really appreciates you coming in with us. That's Bloomberg International Economics and Policy Correspondent Michael McKee. We invite you to stay with us for special coverage of Jackson Hall and Chairman Warsh's keynote on a special edition of Bloomberg Surveillance this Friday, nine am Wall Street Time from Jackson Hall on Bloomberg Radio, Television and the Bloomberg Business App. Let's take a look now, add some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg Intelligence Global Head of Tech Research Mandeep Singh. Because we have some major tech earnings coming up this week, including the big one from in Vidia. Is in Nvidia still the big one man deep when it comes to the AI trade and earnings.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. I mean, if there is you know, one company that really has carried through the mantle when it comes to this AI build out, it is in Nvidia, and it shows up in their numbers when you look at you know, growth expectations of close to mid ninety percent and actually their revenue seems to be accelerating. So it just goes to show that, you know, this company with over a three hundred and fifty billion dollars run rate now is really executing very well and it is at the front and center of this big AI infrastructure building.
Speaker 2: It's incredible the run that Nvidia's had literally for years now, and just now this latest announcement of a one hundred and five billion dollar data center investment in Ohio for Open AI, it just speaks to so much of the outperformance that we've seen for in Vidia for quite some time. And I guess the question still of you know, whether circular investment is still an issue for this company? Is it for you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: So, the thing that has changed with Nvidia now versus a couple of years back is it's got a really strong balance sheet with a ton of cash to invest, and so what it is doing now is with these big data center deals, it is helping you know, the likes of open Ai and Tropic and other companies neo clouds finance this build out where if they want to set up a data center and Vidia will be that backstop and terms of filling in some of the investment requirements and then helping these labs raise funding from private capital and other sources. But in Ridia is really flexing its balance sheet in terms of making sure there is a robust ecosystem around it and all of them are able to raise financing, because that's the hard thing now, as these numbers get bigger and bigger, not every company will be able to raise financing for one hundred billion dollar data center. So that's where in Vidia comes in and kind of helps and be that backstop. And Google is doing the same thing, by the way, So all these major players who are training the models are kind of using their balance sheet in an effective way to prop up the ecosystem around them.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're definitely looking forward to those earnings results from Nvidia on Wednesday. We're also going to hear from CrowdStrike the cybersecurity firm. A lot of debate about this pany's valuation heading into the print. How do you see it?
Speaker 6: I would agree that they have been a beneficiary of, you know, the entropic Mythos release and all the kind of anxiety around every company being at risk of a cyber attack because Mythos exposed all the vulnerabilities. But to my mind, CrowdStrike hasn't really shown that in their numbers. They're still growing top line at mid twenty percent, which is healthy, but nothing like what you know we talked about and Vidio growing at mid ninety percent, and you know, some of the other companies in the chip space are growing triple digits. So mid twenty percent growth for a company of CrowdStrike size doesn't seem that impressive. And it's already trading at a very premium valuation multiple, So from that perspective, the expectations are higher. But maybe they come out and talk about, you know, how all the enterprises have started increase using their cybersecurity spend Postmethos, and that will be a good narrative. I think that may help the stock sentiment.
Speaker 2: And before we hear from crowdstriking, Nvidia on Tuesday, we're going to get earnings from Marvel Technologies off the back of their announcement of a twelve point two billion dollar share purchase deal with Google. What's that say about where Marvel is in the chip raise?
Speaker 6: I mean, all these chip companies I think have really benefited in a big way from you know, the CAPEX increases that we keep hearing about, and Marvel is exposed to all the custom silicon development and now they are partnering with Google. Earlier they were predominantly working with Amazon. So the fact that Google is working with Broadcom and now they are working with Marvel to expand their TPU kind of unit chhipments suggests to me that, you know, Marvell, we'll see accelerating top line as well. And they have more customers now and they had previously, and Google is obviously a big customer. I was a little surprised with the stock warrant aspect of this deal, like why they had to give that, But we have seen that kind of you know, deal with between AMD and Meta and MD and open aiy, So it's not that unusual these days to you know, give warrants if you have a big customer lined up all.
Speaker 2: Right, Man Deep, Thanks as always. That's Man Deep Saying, Global head of Tech Research at Bloomberg Intelligence, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we'll look ahead to a key meeting of French business leaders as they count down to a pivotal presidential election. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. Later in the program, we'll look ahead to the latest reading on Tokyo inflation. But first minds in Europe are starting to turn to the election cycle. In France, Emanuel mccrannt leaves office next year after a decade in office, and many are wondering what might come next. Bloomberg Daybreak Europe banker Stephen Carroll's been looking into one of France's biggest business conferences.
Speaker 3: Nathan Franz's business leaders will be gathering at the home of the Roland Garross tennis tournament in the coming days, with a very different kind of contest in mind. The country's biggest business lobby group, MEDEF, is holding its annual end of summer conference the last before next year's presidential election. This event has been traditionally a moment for potential candidates to rub shoulders with business leaders and prove their credentials when it comes to managing the economy and the challenges there are major. Passing a budget in France has become a hugely fraud affair politically, leading to the toppling of two prime ministers in the last two years. Campaigning for the French presidential election will begin to pick up on the coming weeks as well. The outcome is being closely watched across Europe and the consequences that it may have in the wider European Union. Joining us now to discuss is our powers correspondent Carolyn Connell and Rich Bravo, who leads our team covering governments across Western Europe, who joins us from Brussels. Carolyn, First of all, this is a moment where French businesses get to lay out their priorities for the next president. What are we expecting to hear from them?
Speaker 7: Yeah, first, as you know, it's just getting back from the summer rereg but clearly this is a bit different because in eight months from now we have the French presidential elections, so they're going to be on everyone's mind. The Prime Minister Sebastian Conny first needs to pass a budget by the end of this year. That's going to be difficult as well, is going to be present it by the end of the months. And remember, as you were mentioning, the past two budgets ended up with prime ministers being ousted in votes of no confidence, so that's a risk for executives over the next few months. The uncertainty, the volatility is going to come back. Some companies we've been speaking with over the past few weeks and months, I've been saying they're either holding or delaying some of their investments due to this uncertainty. And of course we'll wait to hear from the various programs of every candidates and the potential new taxes on companies and businesses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and indeed that's going to be difficult questions to answer. Now, as I mentioned, this is the moment where you guess often potential candidates coming out and trying to prove themselves to the great and good of the French business community as well in terms of who's expected to be there. Is this going to be a big political event.
Speaker 7: So in fact, if you look at this year's edition, there's not so many candidates that are going to be physically there. I saw David Listener, the mayor of can but he's basically at one one point five percent in the polls, so very low. Also Fabrian Roussel, the head of the Communist Party, who's preparing his candidacy. And then of course we've got some members of the government but not current a candidate. For examples, Curl the current finance minister who has the big task of presenting this budget by the end of the month. Saint Bruno Lamire, the former finance minister Macon for seven years, who's actually going to talk about political bravery. I thought that was an interesting subject ahead of these elections.
Speaker 3: Yes, perhaps, and what a moment it's going to be rich. I want to turn to you in Brussels next. This is an event that really, as the European political season picks back up, is going to be on everyone's minds. What is going to happen in France next year and what it means for the European Union. How are politicians and officials in Brussels feeling about the end of Emmanuel Macron's term in office and the election well.
Speaker 8: Officially, the European Commission will never weigh in on upcoming elections or take a stance it appears to influence a campaign or give any kind of preferential guidance. But obviously, France, being one of the core members of the EU, wields outside influence on policy matters across the board, and a la Penn presidency would obviously represent a massive change for the EU and would likely upend the status quo as we know it. Lapenn is an unrepentant eurosceptic. She likely wouldn't adhere to EU fiscal rules. She has said that she would seek to send less money into the EU's budget and would try to undo things like climate policy and the current migration rules. But more importantly, she would hold a veto in the European Council, meaning that she could hold certain policy matters such as sanctions and trade hostage. This was a tactic utilized for years by Victor Orbon, and he would withhold his support for something like sanctions against Russia in exchange for some domestic policy matter that was important to Hungary, and these two issues wouldn't be related in any way, but he was able to users to create great, great effectiveness.
Speaker 3: What's the French business view of Marian Dapan Caroline, given that we're thinking about the party leading in the polls, and of course there's been so many questions over her counters the up until now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Marine Open and Jordan Bardela, who she said will be her prime minister if she wents, clearly have been leading in the polls. They are at around thirty thirty five percent in the first round in most polls, and you know, given they perhaps have a big shot at winning this election next year, executives have been increasingly courting the party, meeting some of the national value advisors behind closed doors, but not only We saw Bardela, for example, appearing publicly at the two hundred year party of Lufigaro newspaper The mid f Business may Be actually organized a dinner with Marin Open last spring in order to discuss priorities, perhaps a way for executives to also influence some of the programs. And if you look at the French papers, the executives who were there physically at this dinner, where the likes of LVMH total A Corno Axa.
Speaker 3: Angi so all the companies in France, this is.
Speaker 7: Not taboo anymore. You can meet with Marinupen, you can meet with Jordan Bardella. Marinupen has actually recruited a millionaire investment phone manager who's been advising her on debates and speeches. Even though, of course a lot of these meetings for the executive their aim is to try and influence a program. We don't know much details yet about their economic program because they haven't published their manifesto and.
Speaker 3: Rich in terms of how Brussels is preparing for the potential of La pan presidency as well, I mean, can they work with Marion Depen given that she has been very critical of the EU in the past.
Speaker 8: The short answer is that the Commission doesn't really have a choice. It just remains to be seen how antagonistic this relationship will be. I mean, if you think back to when Maloney first came down office, the expectation was that she would be a disruptive force in Brussels and push a really far right agenda that obviously never came to pass. And now she's seen as a right wing politician who isn't completely out of step with center right politicians. The big question is if Marine Leapenn wins, does she try to emulate Maloney and work with the Brussels structure or does she lean more toward the Orbon paradigm and really try to disrupt things.
Speaker 3: We're talking a lot about mind the Penn because of her position in the polls as well. But Caroline, what do we know about the other candidates who are in the field. We don't have a full field yet. We should say there's still a long way to go, but this moment and I should remind actually in twenty sixteen, it was during this conference that Emmanuel Macron resigned from his position as Economy Minister and announced that he was setting up his own political movement. So things do happen at this time of year, but give us a sense of where the field is at the moment.
Speaker 7: And I interviewed him at the time then he was not even a candidate quite yet. I would say, at the moment of the condidate who's got like be the best shot at winning against either Marinupan or Jeanjean. The far left candidate is Edwar Philipps. So this former Prime minister under Macon during the COVID, during the Pandemic is at fifteen twenty percent in the polls. Meloshan currently is at around twelve fifteen percent depending on the posse, so it's still tight. Meno Shan could possibly also make it to a runoff, which obviously would be the scarier scenario for the markets and for businesses to see a runoff between both extremes, the far left and the far right. But Edwar Philip maybe at the moment best positions. However, we've seen in pass elections a lot can change between now and then. You've got Gabrielletal also in ambush, also from the centrist party of Renaissance. You've got francois Land, the former president Socialist, who can actually possibly appear as a reassuring figure for the center left. And then of course you have these smaller candidates Brunootai from the Republican Party, who is also perhaps waiting to see if Edward Phillips can really have this momentum over the next few months.
Speaker 3: And just coming back a little bit more into the immediate challenges, there's another budget coming up. We've mentioned how difficult to day is to try and get a budget passed. How difficult are looking this time around for Sebastian Leconne, the current Prime minister, it's.
Speaker 7: Exactly the same situation. The Parliament is fragmented into three blocks. I spoke with the Finance mister Ronaldis came back in ex Provence at the beginning of July. He was saying, we'll bring the deficit back to five percent, which is basically the same thing as last year. So it's really not an ambitious plan. It's very unclear as well, exactly how these candidates potential candidates are going to cut the deficits over the next few years, are going to cut debt. And there is also I got to mention this little music going on about if and once Sebastian McConnell has indeed managed to pass a budget bay the end of this year, whether he himself would potentially be a candidate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I mean that would be a pretty good momentum going into that as well, if he did manage to do what so many others have failed to do. And we saw how difficult it was last year for Sebastian Leconano when we thought he was going to I mean, he did try to resign several times during that process. As I recall, so a pretty bumpy path ahead rich from a Brussels point of view. If the leaders are looking ahead to that change, whoever it may be that takes over from Emmanuel Macron next year, is there a list of things that they want to try and get done while Emmanuel Macron, who while not everyone may like him, he's certainly someone that they know well in Brussels, is there a to do list they want to try before his term finishes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for sure. There are definitely parts of the EU that are trying to take preventative measures now, given as you mentioned earlier, the strength of the national rally in the early polls, which do show Marine Lapenn with a strong position heading into the first round. In some circles they refer this as the Penn proof the EU. The biggest example will probably be the EU's trillion euro budget. Now, this budget needs to be re upped every seven years. The next iteration of the budget will will need to be completed by next year. But a lot of people in the EU, a lot of leaders, are trying to get this done before the end of this year. And one of the big assumptions is that they're doing this to front run the French election because they just they don't want to carry out those budget negotiations with a marine, potentially with marine lapenn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's going to present difficulties when it comes to those already extremely complex negotiations and the ambition from the European Council President to try and bring that seven year budget negotiation to a conclusion by the end of this year. This, as you say, Rich, adding another sense of the urgency to that. Budgets here, budgets there, budgets everywhere. It sounds like I've got basicly a couple of months ahead for all of us as we're thinking about where the campaign goes from here. Thank you to you both, to Rich Bravo and Brussels, our European Government editor leading our team covering governments across Western Europe, and to our Paris correspondent Carolyne Connaugh, who will be monitoring all of the developments in the French presidential election and we'll be bringing you many of her interviews between now and the vote next year, as well as, of course we're monitoring in the coming days the events at the MEDAF Business conference in Paris. I'm Stephen Carroll in London, You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Steven, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break Weekend, we'll look ahead to some key economic data in Japan. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hagar in Washington. We go to Japan next, where we'll get the latest reading on Tokyo infleetion in the coming days. For a preview, here's Doug Krisner, host of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia podcast.
Speaker 4: Nathan will get the August reading on inflation for the city of Tokyo in the coming week. Now markets view Tokyo CPI as a leading indicator of what may be seen nationally. For a closer look, I'm joined by Bloomberg's Brian Fowler. Brian covers North Asia economies and government, and he joins from our studios in Tokyo. Thank you for being here. I want to talk about the Tokyo CPI reading for the month of August but maybe we can begin the conversation by looking rearward to the retail inflation data that we had for the month of July that was released just a few days ago. Overall CPI up at an annual rate of one point nine percent. Does that mean inherently that the Bank of Japan is on track for another hiken interest rates, at least in the near term, Doug.
Speaker 9: I think it definitely puts us on track for an interest rate hike, either in September or October. If you look look at that headline number, it's just below the boj's target, so you might think, okay, well, it's actually just where they want it to be. But Governor Uato, when he talks about policy, is going to cite underlying inflation, the underlying trend, which is kind of an ambiguous concept that gives them some wiggle room. And he can do that because there have been a few factors that have been distorting the data to the downside.
Speaker 4: So we know that Japan is a big energy importer, and I'm wondering about the extent to which higher energy costs have been a big contributor to what's going on.
Speaker 9: Well, energy costs are definitely soaring. So we had some trade data a few days back last week that showed volumes of imports rising by a single digit number, while as the energy imports were rising by huge percentage eighty percent or so. It's definitely a factor, but the government has taken steps to sort of mitigate that impact on households and companies by rolling out a lot of steps utility subsidies as well as tax cuts on gasoline.
Speaker 4: So we have seen a lot of weakness in the Japanese currency lately, the intervention that was coordinated between the US and Japan. Notwithstanding, where are we right now in understanding the end's role and what the baj may do next.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so the weekend is definitely a factor. Uita will probably try to avoid making a direct line. He'll often say that policy does not aim at any specific currency rate. At the same time, he will say that currency rates are having a bigger impact on prices than in the past, and we know that authorities are concerned about the weekend. Obviously, the end fell to a forty year low in July just ahead of that coordinated intervention we saw with the US.
Speaker 4: So obviously we have the Tokyo CPI reading and the week ahead, And I'm wondering how inflation distributes across the count tree and how ordinary people in Japan are regarding higher prices right now. First of all, does it usually follow the urban areas like Tokyo experience inflation in a different way than other parts of the country.
Speaker 9: The reports can be very different depending on what the governments are doing in order to kind of mitigate inflationary pressure. So we've seen in Tokyo, for example, the local government rolling out subsidies for education, and that actually has had a big factor on families. And that's not a nationwide thing. So we've had cases where the Tokyo CPI was rising at a slower pace than the national trend, and we've had to point out that nationwide is obviously the bigger issue for the BOJ.
Speaker 4: So we touched a moment ago on the impact of higher energy cost I'm interested in food prices because there is a version of the Japanese CPI that excludes fresh food. It was up at an annual rate of one point eight percent in July. What's going on with food prices right now in Japan?
Speaker 9: So food prices continue to rise, and yet the impact on the index is actually to exert a drag. And to unpack this, you got to understand that food prices have been rising for quite a while, and last year they were rising at an even bigger pace, faster pace than this year. So, for example, we saw processed food prices rise three percent in the latest month in the national figures. By historical standards, that's a pretty fast pace, but it's slower than the pace we saw in the previous month, and it compares with an eight percent surge a year ago. So the food prices are actually pulling the CPI lower, even though the pace of increase is quite high for families.
Speaker 4: So what is the government of Prime Minister Takeiichi saying about inflation right now and the degree to which the government would essentially not be critical of any move that the boj might make to type right now in the near term.
Speaker 9: We feel pretty confident that the government is on board with at least one more hike. Can we expect that hike probably in September, but if not then certainly by October. We think the government might not be keen to see much after that. For Takaichi, inflation is kind of a plus in the sense that it helps her work on the debt to GDP ratio helps he gives her a little bit of fiscal flexibility. At the same time, it also raises costs on households that compels the government to roll out these costly steps to mitigate that impact, including subsidies for utilities, but also the sales tax cut on food purchases that she plans to roll out from April next year.
Speaker 4: So take a step back last question before I let you go, and help me understand how well the Japanese economy is performing.
Speaker 10: Overall.
Speaker 9: The Japanese economy is feeling pretty solid right now. We've seen a slew of data that sort of support that idea. The Boj's Hong Kong for the recent quarter performed to the upside, and that of course measures corporate sentiment across a lot of industries. We've seen industrial output doing pretty well better than expected. The weekend obviously is a problem for inflation, but it's definitely boosting exporters and giving them better profits, and that allows them to continue raising wages. So the positive cycle doesn't seem that far off the cycle of wage hikes feeding into domestic demand and demand led price growth. So at this point, it looks like take is doing the right thing from at least, you know, to the extent that we can see in the data.
Speaker 4: Brian, we'll leave it there, Thank you so very much. Bloomberg's Brian Fowler. He covers North Asian economies and government. Joining from our studios in Tokyo, we go next to Australia, where mining giant BHP recently reported a full year underlying profit above expectations, fuel in part by higher copper prices. We had the chance to speak with BHP CEO Brandon Craig. He spoke with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watts.
Speaker 11: So in a sense, this.
Speaker 10: Is kind of the easy earning season for you, right, not only are the numbers good, but this wasn't a year where you were in charge. What's your view on these numbers then?
Speaker 11: Well, I think for BHP it's been a fantastic set of results if you actually have a look at the market. We've seen record copper production iron ore, which is another very important commodity for us. There's been pretty resilient prices as well, and then across the operations, we've delivered record through put through Escondida, which is the world's largest copper mine record productions from Olympic Dam, which is in Copper South Australia right here in Australia. And of course in the back of that really strong performance, coupled with the strong prices, it's really allowed BHP to deliver what is a stellar set of results. You can see the great divide which has resulted from that. So overall we're feeling pretty positive about where.
Speaker 6: We are right now looking forward.
Speaker 10: What's your strategy then, is it sort of continuity.
Speaker 11: Well, there's a couple of things we really want to focus on. The first being a mining company, safety is always fundamentally important, so we will be investing heavily in the safety of our workforce. But importantly, we also really want to accelerate the productivity agenda in VHP. We have an operating system in this company which is rarely supported. You're on your improvements and performance both on productivity but also across cost. And on the back of that performance, if we can couple technology with that, we believe we can push out the productivity frontier for this business even further. And then when you have a look at the state of the market in particular copper copper has huge demand at the moment. It's rarely a core to the whole digital revolution. We can see its core to the electrification trends we see across the world, and that's a commodity we really want to invest in. So accelerating a number of very attractive growth projects to deliver that copper is going to be very important for us. And then the final piece is really this is a very long term company. We measure performance in decades, not years, so it's really important that we also replenish that resource endowment we have for the future generations that are going to come beyond us.
Speaker 10: I want to talk quite a bit about copper because you say earlier you've just moved over from Chile, where of course your core copper assets are. There is concern from investors certainly that perhaps going forward that might be a failure to fully capture that opportunity because of the declining grades of copper from those assets. What's your strategy for that.
Speaker 11: Well, for large porphyry deposits, which es Gondida is one, and that's dominant and Chile grade decline is entirely normal, you have to continue to invest urine ur into these assets to continue to grow the volumes. So when you have a look at the plans we have underway currently at Escondida, we're going to be building a new concentrator. That new concentrator will allow us to more than offset the grade decline to be able to produce the copper that the world is going to need. And that's important because Escondida is the world's largest copper mine. You know, the world in some respects depends on the success of that business, so it's important that we make those investments successful. But in addition to s Condida, we also have very attractive projects in Argentina with a project called Vikunya to the joint venture with Lundin Mining, and we also have very attractive growth options right here in Australia through Olympic Dam. So you put all of that together and we're going to be able to put together a growth program over the next five years that will lift our production in cop of our fifty percent. And when you consider that we are already the world's largest copper producer, adding fifty percent to our production base over five years, that's pretty attractive.
Speaker 10: You've already said that the bar for copper M and A is going to be high. Are you restless for more assets or too focused on sort of execution versus more ambition.
Speaker 11: Well, when you look at the quality of the organic pipeline we have in BHP, the copper intensity of our investments ranges between sixteen thousand dollars a ton and thirty thousand dollars a ton. If you had to go and try and put and buy a pure play miner on the market today, together with a takeover premium, you'd have to pay eighty five thousand dollars a ton plus a takeover premium. So call it while over one hundred thousand dollars a ton relative building our own copper for twenty thousand dollars or thereabouts. So you're talking a factor of five to one, which I think rarely showcases, while the organic pathway we are choosing is is attractive to us.
Speaker 4: That was BHP CEO Brandon Craig speaking with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watts. I'm Doug Prisner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Doug, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Nathan Hager. Stay with US. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.