Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: I'm Noah Hiles.
Speaker 2: Joining me as always are my co hosts Josh Harrison and Platinum Key aka Mark. It's Friday, July seventeenth. The Pirates second half of the regular season is about to get underway.
Speaker 1: They have a three game weekend series.
Speaker 2: In Cleveland against the Guardians, a lot of interesting things to get into this show will be our second half of the season preview where we're gonna break down some storylines, some guys that we need to see more from in the second half, and we'll obviously round out our Friday show the same way we always do with our weekly segment.
Speaker 1: Jay Hay.
Speaker 2: Now, So, guys, we're gonna start off like I said in this first segment.
Speaker 1: Who steps Up?
Speaker 2: There are a lot of moving pieces to a baseball team, especially a baseball team that's looking to sneak its way into the postseason, and that's what the Pirates are right now. They're a team knocking on the door. They're a team three games above five hundred at the time of this recording, and a team a couple of games out of the Wildcard race.
Speaker 1: So with all that.
Speaker 2: Being said, we've seen a whole bunch of guys step up so far.
Speaker 1: When I ask you who's a player that you need to.
Speaker 2: See more from in the second half in order for this team to reach the next level, who's the first guy that comes to mind, We'll start with Mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first guy that comes to mind is Henry Davis. We saw him really starting to step up in like his last like fifteen games or so, right before the All Star break, especially with Andy Rodriguez heading into the injured list. Henry took that opportunity and showed something with his bat. Finally looked like the bat that the Pirates had drafted. Obviously, it's been a short sample, but if Henry can continue to do that in the second half, that will just help this team so so much. Because this offense has been productive without his bet providing much of anything. So anything that you're getting above, like a six hundred ops from Henry Davis is going to be icing on the cake and just help this team get a couple more wins.
Speaker 4: Possibly.
Speaker 3: We know what he can do defensively, we know what he can do calling games, So no issues there. But if he can keep hitting the ball, that would be such such a help, especially if it helps the Pirates not have to address Catcher at the trade deadline. And it sounds like should be back pretty soon after the All Star break, so it doesn't sound like that's going to be a lingering issue. But yeah, it's if Henry steps up, this team has a whole other gear to get to.
Speaker 1: I love that pick from you, Mark for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 2: One, like you said, Andy's going to be back, but I mean, you got to remember, this is the most baseball Dy has played quite some time, and it's probably going to end up being the most major League baseball he's played in his life when we're all said and done in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: So I think it's you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm not rooting for the guy to slow down or anything, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Andy to hit a lull at some point this season just because he's he hasn't put his body through this.
Speaker 1: Long of a grind for a very long time.
Speaker 2: And if you can get what you've got from Henry Davis over these last fifteen games he's played, where he's hit three home runs, he's driven in ten, he's walked four times and only struck out six. He's slashed two seventy three, three sixty eight, five sixty seven. If you get that from Henry Davis who for the rest of the year, or even a lesser version of that, like if you can just get him to slash two fifty, an on base percentage of three fifty and a slug of like four hundred to five hundred, especially that that is a very very good catching platoon between him and Andy Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: That is an insane influx.
Speaker 2: Of value compared to what you got from him for the bulk of his first half. So if Henry Davis can do that at the plate, you really don't have a bad option at catcher, which I can't remember the last time I said that. Yeah, so that's that's a huge pick for you. I like that one, Josh, what do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I definitely agree. There's no secret that we've spoke on it before. But it just shows how valuable he can be to a team that is already doing good offensively when he does show up better than what he was giving, and that just makes your team that much stronger. Because you know, all offenses talk about being tough one through nine, and realistically we'll say that they weren't tough one through nine.
Speaker 4: But with the way he's sworn at the.
Speaker 5: Last fifteen games or so, it definitely takes it back to say, okay him platoon as you mentioned with Indy when he gets back healthy, it is definitely something that makes your often stronger and also makes your defense stronger because you're scoring more runs.
Speaker 3: Josh, help, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I'll answer both of these questions. Yeah, my my guy would be Mitch Keller. I know this off season, a lot of you know, trade talks ROMed around him preseason then going through the season, and obviously we know we highlighted him I think a couple episodes ago and talked about maybe this All Star break being kind of that like reset button for him and uh, you know, kind of flipping the script as opposed to what's happened, you know, previous in his career where he kind of hits you.
Speaker 4: Know, a little low and kind of falls off.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at it as you know, a little reset after All Star Break and then knowing that you got this offense. It's no secret that if Mitch pitches, you know, to what he's capable of, where he's eating innings, going six innings and handing the ball over to the bullpen. And given quality starts, this team is gonna be that much better because you already know Paul, you know Ashcraft, as you mentioned, Bubb's getting better, Jared his I think.
Speaker 4: His previous alt went six. You know, when you're firing, when you're firing on all cylinders. I think pitching is something.
Speaker 5: That you really don't want to waiver, you know, on this teeter totter, because if you once you get to the place play playoffs, postseason, sometimes offenses going to a little law. But if you got pitching staff that is keeping you in games, it allows, you know, offense that may be struggling to get that you know timely ending where they put pressure on the other team and get that time to you know double one, a gap or something. So I think Mitch is gonna be big for the starting staff because you know what Paul and those other guys are bringing. So for me, I'd really like to see Mitch step up and hopefully this All Star break was a nice reset for him.
Speaker 4: What do you guys think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, Mitch Keller's been through a lot of bad baseball. He's suffered through a lot of bad baseball teams. The players finally have a chance to be good. He's the veteran on this in this starting rotation. He needs to step up. He needs to be the guy that puts his foot down and says, you know what, this is the year that we're actually going to be a good baseball team and make the postseason. He has that chance to do it. So, yeah, in the second half, we need to see Mitch Keller improve, be better and be the veteran ace and not ace, but the veteran starter in this rotation that can go out and be that Chad Inians here, like you said, Josh, So he's got quite the opportunity right in front of him. So I'd love to see Mitch Keller show off that veteran leadership and sees on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just to kind of follow up on everything Mark said, it's you just need to get something from Mitch, and if it can't work in the starting rotation, then maybe he goes to the bullpen and gives you an answer there. Because he can't throw a wide pitch mix right now. Maybe if you simplify it and say, look, we just need you to cover the seventh today, We only need you to throw two pitches.
Speaker 1: They need that too.
Speaker 2: I mean, they could use Mitch Keller the starter a lot more than Mitch Keller the seventh inning reliever. And I'm sure Mitch doesn't want to be that guy. But you got to find a way to contribute somehow, and sometimes you know, if it ain't your year, it ain't your year.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 2: Mitch Keller has done enough this year, even as bad as he's been, to completely give up on a moving forward. But we've seen other great pitchers, guys with resumes far better than Mitches, take a back seat or a lesser role while their team is on a heater and they still find a way to contribute. I mean Tim Linscom did it, Barry Zito did it on those great Giants teams who had other pitchers, and it's just like, yeah, it's not my year right now, And both of those guys ended up rebounding and having a great season later.
Speaker 1: On after accepting those lesser roles.
Speaker 2: And I'm not suggesting that's what Mitch needs to do, but if he does, like I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm gonna go ahead and name mine. Now it's another guy in the starting rotation. It's Jared Jones. I picked Jared over Mitch just because Jared at his best has the second highest ceiling that we've seen in the Major leagues on this rotation. What Jared Jones did in April and May of twenty twenty four, that's the best two months pitching stretch that any pitcher in this rotation has had not named Paul Steins, yep. Mitch Keller at his best never looked as good as Jared Jones did his first two months in the major leagues. Brax and Ashcraft has looked really damn good. He never looked Jared Jones level dominant. Now, the whole thing with Jared is obviously sustainability.
Speaker 1: Can he stay healthy? Can he continue to stack that up?
Speaker 2: And there's always been something that he's had to deal with, be it an injury or a pitch count, or an thing's limit or a workload restriction something, and he's gonna have to continue dealing with that. But if Jared Jones can return to first half twenty twenty four, Jared Jones, I mean Mitch Keller still matters obviously, but my god, that's the best one two three punch in baseball. YEP, with Paul continuing to trend upward, and Paul is the most important player on this team in the second half, but we all know that he needs to step up and Brax and Ashcraft.
Speaker 1: You have two all stars already.
Speaker 2: If Jared Jones, who has the upside of an All Star, if you can get that from your third guy, even with an innings restriction, if he can give you six strong every night, if he can give you a quality start three to four times a month and his five outings, this is going to be a very difficult baseball team to beat in a three game series.
Speaker 1: And it starts on Friday against the Cleveland Guardians.
Speaker 4: So I love it.
Speaker 1: Anything to add on, guys.
Speaker 3: No, I think you've got that covered perfectly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So we're gonna take a quick break when we come back. Second half questions that we need to see answered from the Pittsburgh Pirates here, I'm Bucko Territory.
Speaker 6: Big second half of the season coming up. There might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience. They need to get your hands on and sea geek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good, and they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 7: Why would you not use if you want to view from your seat, You want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 1: It's easy to use. It's one click boom.
Speaker 7: You buy the tickets, they send them right to you, get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game whatever you're a fan of. If you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on sekk.
Speaker 6: And for MLB tickets, you can get ten percent off with that promo code running all season long, Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at sea geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 2: All right, second half questions. Things that we need to see improved. We mentioned individuals. Now, let's talk about storylines, something that we would like to see either resolved, improved, or really just anything that pertains to this team and getting better and reaching the postseason by the time October arrives. I'll start us off here. I for my storyline, I'm gonna go with Marcelo Zuna. How much longer is this guy gonna be here? In a couple of weeks, Spencer Horowitz will be back, O'Neil Cruz will be back as Merlin Valdez has been everything that you hoped Marcello Zuna would be. His production has exceeded Marcelo Zuna in about a third of the opportunity. Tyler Tyler Callahan has been a solid bench player. Jake Mangam has been one of the most valuable fourth outfielders in Major League Baseball, a guy who probably still deserves to be in the starting lineup every day. Jared Triolo is a Gold Glove utility defender. That's your bench right now. Oh and by the way, Henry Davis is slashing what we just said you was slashing over the last fifteen games. He's your backup catcher. You have a lot of position player depth. I'm very curious to see if they do the right thing and just say, hey, these guys are helping us win, and they're helping us win more and just admit that Ozuna wasn't the right move.
Speaker 1: Guys, do you think that that happens.
Speaker 3: I think it's gotta be close. It's you never really want to say, like, oh, time to give up on the guy, But at this point, we have just so many better options on the bench. And yeah, they made a significant investment into this guy, but it just hurts this team more than anything. So maybe you have him like DH against left handed pitching for a little bit, but you just can't keep a bench slot with the options that are available otherwise. So I think it's as soon as either Horwitz or O'Neal gets back, you gotta move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't want to say he's lasted longer than you know we've anticipated.
Speaker 4: We obviously know injuries have probably helped his case.
Speaker 5: I would say stick around, just from a standpoint, you didn't really have many options to go down into. But that is a storyline that I think will catch some steam as guys start to get healthy, because as you mentioned, you're at that point of season where you have to justify it and if you're serious about winning and riding this momentum, you might have to cut ties with.
Speaker 4: You know what is dragging you down.
Speaker 5: And not to say he's dragging him down, but he hasn't really helped much. And you know, I'm not a guy that likes to talk about guys not producing, because I know how hard this game is. But at the same time, I've also been a guy who's been designated myself when my last year with the Phillies, I didn't really get the I think I might have had one hundred at bats going into August, so even then hard to get ab.
Speaker 4: So when you don't have abs, just as you.
Speaker 5: Mentioned before the break, there were moments where he wasn't even in the lineup, so you got to make decisions that sometimes aren't easy. But at the same time, if you're trying to make a team better, it's necessary.
Speaker 2: When it's hard to find a player who you deserve more playing time, then then you.
Speaker 1: Don't deserve to be on the roster. And that's it.
Speaker 2: Like Mark mentioned, maybe batting him as a DH against lefties. Why in the world would that not be as Merlin vald does right, and O'Neill's healthy and you're already crowded for outfield spots, Like, how in the world do you justify playing him ahead of as Merlin val does. There's just nothing you could do to justify that. So that's my storyline, Josh, what about you.
Speaker 4: Mine kind of ties into yours.
Speaker 5: It was the lineup construction because obviously we know guys are being healthy, and it was honestly saying that you know that DH spot is you know, deserving of you know s Merlin against lefties, and then you know, when the righty's there, you can kind of rotate, rotate that with whether so hearn or you know, b Ray. You know, because as you mentioned, Mangum's played well enough to where you want to keep them in a lineup, and you know, if that's gonna put O'Hearn or or Reynolds at d H, you know, that slides Mangum into the outfield, which makes your defense better. And at the same time we've talked about it, these guys have seized, you know, the opportunity that's been in front of them. Same thing with Nick Gonzalez. You know, he's a guy that has been, you know, kind of the main state this year. That's been a pleasant surprise for the Pirates when coming into spring training was figuring out, you know, how is this guy going to get at bats? We knew he was gonna get at bats, but just win where So my thing is, you're starting to catch that momentum when these guys get back healthy. Horowitz, you know, O'Neill, you're gonna have to make a decision, and we've kind of already hit on that with you know, the Marcelle storyline. I think that gets answered here pretty soon, because one way or another, you can't you can't stay in the middle. You got to make a decision, especially if you're trying to win, and all indications points towards the guys in that clubhouse trying to win, and I'm sure everybody up top is as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just as far as the lineup, I have just a couple of things that I'm curious to see. One, how you get Valdez consistent at bats right because he plays right field, he can play first base, although I don't think they want to play and there's no reason to play him at first base because they've got three guys now with Jacob Gonzalez here as well, who can play in treolo, Like he's like your fifth option at first base as far as overall that, Yeah, so there's yeah, that's it. He is. Yeah, But then it's like, where do you play o'hearen.
Speaker 1: Do you play o'hearan?
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, then you're playing Spencer at first And that goes into my second thing. How much time do we see O'Neil Cruz playing center field?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's another thing where it's if you're getting valdezit bats, where are you playing O'Neill because are you sacrificing.
Speaker 1: Jake Ngum's defense? Are you taking that out of the equation.
Speaker 2: Jake Mangum's also like hitting over three hundred, so he's playing a lot as well. Just the outfield construction as a whole, you've got five guys, assuming Spencer's the everyday first baseman, Between O'Hearn, Valdez, Reynolds, Mangum and Cruz, you've got five guys who should be playing every day and one of them can play dh but one of them is going to have to sit, and in a way, you keep everyone fresh but in another way, you're kind of putting someone who. I mean, Cruz and Spencer are obviously coming back, but the rest of those guys I just named Lao or oh ohhearn excuse me, Mangum.
Speaker 1: Valdez, Reynolds, all those guys. Those are probably your hottest.
Speaker 2: Four hitters outside of Nick Gonzalez, so that'll be interesting. And the third guy, the third O, there's four excuse me, Jacob Gonzalez. How much run does he get it short? Does he become your primary shortstop in the second half or is it Triolo? Because the fourth thing I had, as far as lineup construction, something I'd like to see. I would like to see Jared Triolo be the primary starting third baseman when Paul Skins witches from.
Speaker 1: Here on album.
Speaker 2: I like just because of his issues with holding runners on base, the left on base percentage being so much higher this or so much.
Speaker 1: Lower, I should say this year compared to last year.
Speaker 2: I want the best defense possible for Paul Skins when he's on the mound so he can continue to dance out of jams like he's always been able to. And I think that that means Gonzalez, Jacob Gonzalez at shortstop, and Jared Triolo at third base until Con Griffin's healthy. So those are my four things. Triolo getting starts at third just when Paul pitches, and if Henry Davis is hitting, then you know you're not necessarily getting that week of a lineup with both of them starting. Jacob Gonzalez, how much run does he get a short cruise, how much run does he get in center field? And how in the world do you find it bats for as Merlin val does anything to add on the lineup stuff? Mark or do you want to just give your point?
Speaker 3: No, just great problem to have. And my final second half question here to round this out is what do the Pirates do with Krmen Macginski. He's having a great year, he's super valuable, and they the way they use him after they moved him to the bullpen just minimize all the value that he has. And so I want to see how that adjusts. Is he going to rejoin the starting rotation, is he going to be pitched in high leverage situations? Is he going to be traded? You know, what are they going to do with Krmen Macginski? I don't know. Maybe that question gets answered with injuries. You know, maybe he'll pitching, an injury will happen in the rotation and he gets bumped in and it's not even a big storyline. But the way things stand right now, that feels like a big question going in the second half is are you going to continue to just have him kind of stay stretched out pitching these like long relief outings, or are you gonna use him like a reliever or put him back in the rotation. So I don't know if we'll get any clarity too soon on that, but it's I think it's going to be lingering in the back of my head at least as the second half progresses.
Speaker 5: I think that's a good question because you just mentioned a lot of options for him, so that options are endless. But at some point, just like I said with the lineup, you're gonna have to go a direction because you can't have this guy stretched out that can help the team that is just not really pitching in situations where you know some might have lined up Like, Okay, I get it. So I think think about the second half. I think that these stories are gonna end up writing themselves. It's just a matter of how soon. But I do like that question because you know, there were questions about him when he first got moved to the pen, and here we are still asking those same questions because it really hasn't been a definitive answer, and that you threw a lot of things out there, you know, possible injuries, possible trade you know, hey, we're going to use you in short innings or you know we are going to keep you stretched out. Lots of questions, but obviously a guy that can help the team and help a lot of other teams as well.
Speaker 1: That's the that's the key point with Carmen.
Speaker 2: He is where their internal improvement starts getting more value from him, because it's not like you need to see him be better. Maybe may be a better teammate, but like as far as production, he's been really good.
Speaker 4: He has.
Speaker 2: He's one of their top five starters. He's their best relief pitcher, righty or lefty. It's just getting it to a point where he can help you win more. He is their key to internal improvement on the mount, either in the bullpen or the rotation. So we're gonna take another quick break when we come back. Jay Haynow will round us out here on bucko territory.
Speaker 8: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right, Jay Hay, now here we go, there we go?
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 4: Thing of stuck?
Speaker 5: That's my back from All Star Break, Dan's when that beat dropped. So here we are with j now, and what I might say right here it might make you want to dance because it's stemmed off some comments that came from the Futures game my segments. Just a quick hitter on seth Hernandez throwing the filler out there, letting the pirates know. It was pretty electric coming, you know and pitching, you know, out of the pen. So if you need me, you know, I'm ready. Here we are, I think nineteen or twenty years old. You know, he's obviously got electric stuff, and that's that's I think that's pretty cool that he's, you know, letting them know, like I know, I'm a starter and you guys won't be stretched out, but y'all got something going special and if I can help the team now, I'm willing to help the team. And a bull pin and you know, looking at the future stuff. I even think one of the guys that was facing like, man, that's nasty, but just watching it, it's hard not to like what you see. And I just thought that was pretty cool because we talked about highlighting some of the futures and the All Star Break and I thought it was pretty cool because you have a pretty talented arm that's telling the Pirates, Hey, if you need some help in the book, then here I am.
Speaker 4: So that's pretty cool. Pirates.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you really listen, and I'm sure you are, but I don't know how much you're gonna entertain it. But I like that from the young man, So that that was kind of my ja hay now segment was something refreshing and looking to help this team.
Speaker 3: Now, man, you just gotta love Hernandez. I really appreciate those comments, but also just he's so valuable to this team as far as reloading after if Paul Skins does leave, you have another ace right there in the wings waiting who's going to have a ton of team control, open up a lot of possibilities. So I think Seth Hernandez is probably the one untouchable on my prospect list for the Pirates this year. Yeah, you want to go in and this is the opportunity to win, but this kid is so so important to the future of this franchise. So love seeing that, and it would be absolutely electric if he came up in September. I don't anticipate that happening, but man panc would be going crazy seeing him come out of the bullpen, so love him throwing that out there.
Speaker 2: However, I can help us win, that's the attitude as I have. And if it means developing in the minor league so I can help us win next year, then that's great.
Speaker 1: But just so you know I'm here.
Speaker 2: You need me, That's the perfect way for him to handle it. It's the biggest platform he's been offered since he's been drafted, getting to pitch on a national stage, getting some national attention as a top prospect in the game.
Speaker 1: He handled that very well.
Speaker 2: The Pirates should feel very good about this young man, both who he is on and off the mountain. So that's all we got for today. I want to remind everyone to hit that subscribe button if you have not already. We're on a mission of three thousand subs, can't get there without your help. Also, be sure to check out the Buco Territory Team store where we've got some good Bucko territory merch. And that's also not the only merch for you to check out. We've got some good merch in the Foul Territory shop as well.
Speaker 1: Some all Star gear for Braxton, Ashcraft and Paul's schemes.
Speaker 2: You could check out all of that there are all Star collection at Foul territoryshop dot com. Guys, any final thoughts as we round out another episode.
Speaker 3: Just ready for baseball to start. It's so excited, can't wait.
Speaker 4: Good, go to Cleveland and get started.
Speaker 3: Right Yeah, we got baseball the day of this episode uploads, so yeah, that'll be pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, he's Platinum Key, he's Josh Harrison, I'm Noah Hyles. We're signing off saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented.
Speaker 1: To you by the Foul Territory Network. Take care